PDA

View Full Version : What does Brooks Reed Do?

TheIronDuke
12-02-2013, 09:34 AM
GP:16 - Tackles (A+T):45 - Sacks:6 - FF: 0- FR: 2 - PD: 3- STF: 1

GP:12 - Tackles (A+T):27 - Sacks:2.5 - FF: 1- FR: 0 - PD: 3- STF: 3

GP:12 - Tackles (A+T):41 - Sacks:1 - FF: 0- FR: 0 - PD: 1- STF: 4

Is this the stat line of someone doing well in a Wade Phillips scheme as a 3-4 OLB? Some posters say that he's not supposed to get sacks and he's only supposed to be a contain guy. If so, is he doing his job? Is the fact that he's forced one turnover his entire career an issue? Should he be upgraded this offseason or is this someone we can just move forward with and wait to upgrade later? Edited just to say, he's never had a pick so I didn't include that in his stats.

pbat488
12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
http://bobcesca.thedailybanter.com/files/2013/09/BobBob.jpg

TejasTom
12-02-2013, 09:37 AM
He makes stupid penalties on 3rd downs when we have gotten a stop.

nero THE zero
12-02-2013, 09:40 AM
What's an "STF"?

Brisco_County
12-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Of all the personnel that should be upgraded in the offseason, Brooks Reed is low on the list.

Playoffs
12-02-2013, 09:43 AM
It's not what he does, it's more what he doesn't do... and that's fit in this defensive scheme. He's a misfit toy.

TejasTom
12-02-2013, 09:44 AM
What's an "STF"?

Stuffs, also tackle for loss not including sacks.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2013, 09:51 AM
He makes stupid penalties on 3rd downs when we have gotten a stop.

That was a bogus call if you ask me. Yes, he did hit pansy boy in the head, but it was totally incidental. Not sure how anyone could've avoided that hit with pansy boy being thrown right at him.

As far as what Reed does? He runs around the field with flowing locks?

TheIronDuke
12-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Of all the personnel that should be upgraded in the offseason, Brooks Reed is low on the list.

I think I agree but then I look at defensive needs which I think are NT and ILB, OLB, and CB/S. I wonder if he'd finally be moved to ILB and then we can get a better OLB which would kill two birds with one stone. But then again, if we keep Wade, is Brooks having the production commensurate with what we should expect from this position? I just wanted to get a little discussion going here on him since he's been here 3 years and I certainly feel like he doesn't really do anything to help the defense, but then again I'm not as well versed in the game as a lot of posters here.

Rey
12-02-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm not a big fan of either olb. But at least merciless does SOMETHING ( not enough considering where he plays)...but Reed to me is a guy who should be doing more.

I'm not sure it's all on them though. Coaching and coverage hurt them some as well.

Not sure why this team is so ****ing reluctant to give other guys a shot.

Rey
12-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure why people have this automatic assumption that reed inside will work. I've disagreed with that from the start. I think it'd be an awful fit. I don't think he is nearly sudden enough to play inside and he doesn't fight off blocks too well either.

I see him inside as being a big time weakness and he is better suited on the edge than inside. Really, he should probably gain weight and bump down to DE.

deucetx
12-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Honestly, Reed moving inside does little. His coverage skills are lacking more than I first believed. So basically he wouldn't be any different than any of our other ILB's (other than the obvious). He brings nothing special to the table. He's just an average player all around and moving him inside wouldn't change anything about that. They tried him there in camp and most likely saw something that made them feel he wouldn't be the answer there and I think his play is showing exactly that.

Mercilus has been decent but not showing first round ability thus far. But as Rey stated, at least he has shown something. Reed hasn't shown one iota of anything at this point except some ability to set the edge. This isn't something overly complicated so you would like a bit more out of a starter than just setting the edge.

WolverineFan
12-02-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure why people have this automatic assumption that reed inside will work. I've disagreed with that from the start. I think it'd be an awful fit. I don't think he is nearly sudden enough to play inside and he doesn't fight off blocks too well either.

Exactly how I've felt about it. I've never understood the hype around this particular position change.

When the coaches said Reed was the second best ILB on the team I didn't take it as a compliment to Reed, but an indictment on the rest of our ILB's. It seems a lot of people took it the other way.

Playoffs
12-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Reed is solidly 40th/40 3-4 OLBs by PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/), with a cumulative overall rating -17.6. The next lowest rating is -8.6.

His pass rush rating makes up the majority of his poor grade... which is one spot below Whitney Mercilus' rating. :hankpalm:

WolverineFan
12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Reed is solidly 40th/40 3-4 OLBs by PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/), with a cumulative overall rating -17.6. The next lowest rating is -8.6.

His pass rush rating makes up the majority of his poor grade... which is one spot below Whitney Mercilus' rating. :hankpalm:

The problem is he is being graded by a modern 3-4 metric. Most teams that run a 3-4 rely on their D-Line to cover gaps and the LB's to pass rush. Wade does the opposite. We really do run a 5-2.

Not trying to say Reed is great, but his rating is pushed lower because of a lack of pass rush and he doesn't rush nearly as often as guys like Woodley/Worilds (Steelers) or Smith/Brooks (49ers).

badboy
12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
2014 is his last contract year & our needs are too many to replace now.

Rey
12-02-2013, 10:22 AM
2014 is his last contract year & our needs are too many to replace now.

I disagree.

I think Reed could be replaced with a good low draft pick, cheep free agent or even an udfa.

htowntexans1985
12-02-2013, 10:30 AM
But I thought he was our very own Clay Matthews. :kitten:

cstyle42
12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Get chance after chance to prove himself like David Carr, Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak until he ultimately embarrasses himself and the rest of the city...

TEXANRED
12-02-2013, 11:01 AM
He completes the 53 man roster.

ChampionTexan
12-02-2013, 11:07 AM
All I know is that in my mind, I'm involuntarily substituting this thread title for the lyrics in that "What does the fox say" song, and now that's stuck in my head.

So thanks for that OP.

Uncle Rico
12-02-2013, 11:15 AM
A pitiful impersonation of Clay Matthews? I mean his hair isnt even that great. <bad joke>

Playoffs
12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
From ProFootballFocus' recap of the Patriots game...
De Ja Vu: Outside Linebackers Fail to Produce (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/02/refo-patriots-texans-week-13/)

One of the most common themes when discussing the Texans is there impressive pass rush from Watt and fellow defensive end Antonio Smith and the inability of the edge rushers to complement their elite interior presence. Outside linebackers Whitney Mercilus and Brooks Reed graded at -2.6 and -2.8 respectively, combining for just three measly hurries on 72 pass rush attempts. The lack of outside linebacker production has been the norm in Houston as Mercilus and Reed have combined to grade at -24.7 on the season, a year removed from the duo combining with departed OLB Connor Barwin to grade at -21.5. On a brighter note, Mercilus and Reed each graded at +0.7 in in the running game, but their inability to affect the quarterback is one of the major weaknesses on Houston’s defense.

JB
12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Just a question... who is the OLB opposite of Ware? Who was the other OLB in San Diego with Merriman?

Do the Texans ask Reed to rush the passer much?

HJam72
12-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Brooks is exceptional at taking up a blocker and not letting him go. :clap:

WolverineFan
12-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Just a question... who is the OLB opposite of Ware? Who was the other OLB in San Diego with Merriman?

Not as much as other 3-4 teams, which is what I've been trying to point out for a while now.

Normal 3-4 teams like the 49ers, Browns, or Steelers have big bodied D-Linemen who plug gaps up front so the LB's can rush the passer.

Wade's scheme looks like a 3-4, but it's actually a 5-2. His D-Linemen rush the passer and the LB's plug gaps. In this case, Mercilus is a DE and rushes the passer and Reed is an OLB and plugs gaps (mainly being the contain guy to his side). Mercilus' #1 job is rushing the passer. Not so for Reed.

deucetx
12-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Yes, the Texans do ask Reed to rush the passer quite bit. Mercilus has rushed 50% of the defensive snaps he has been on the field. Reed has rushed 43% of the defensive snaps. So for doing this such a heavily percentage of the time he is on the field he isn't doing very well at it....at all.

Playoffs
12-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Out of 755 total snaps Reed was in run defense on 346, in pass rush on 322, and in pass coverage on 87 plays.

Norg
12-02-2013, 07:02 PM
IDK is he pretty good in coverage I know he has to be better then MAYES and Sharpton

chicagotexan2
12-03-2013, 08:54 PM
The way he plays is why Troy Palumalu makes head n shoulders commercials

The way brooks reed plays is why he'd make White Rain commercials

Rey
12-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Reed rushes plenty. He rushes enough to do more than he does.

He's just not that good.

Merciless is better and I hated the merciless pick. Still not very find of it at all, but hey...they have the scouts and resources.

BullNation4Life
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
What does Brooks Reed Do?

nothing....

Mr teX
12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
If you have to ask...then i'll take "not a damn thing" for 200 alex.

TheIronDuke
12-06-2013, 07:50 AM
I guess Brooke Reed showed me what's what, he is truly the king of the sack. I liked the scheme to trick the opposing QB to run into Brooke as he handfights through linemen. Well done Brooke!

Vinny
12-06-2013, 09:05 AM
he sets the edge pretty well, but he isn't a pass rusher.