PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Kubiak should get another chance!

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry, I had to do it. Just to be honest about what a sucker I am, even though I realize the absurdity of it, part of me is hopeful right now... Of course, I also know this 1st quarter performance will be a distant memory in the fourth quarter.

Bulls on Parade
12-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Setting yourself up for disappointment my friend.

This 10-0 lead feels like we're losing by a field goal.

It's Tom Brady and the Patriots. It won't last...

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 01:35 PM

I am well aware!

acal21
12-01-2013, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't mind giving him another shot at it but i feel like the only way we can get rid joe marciano is by getting rid of Kubiak

Linca
12-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Sorry, I had to do it. Just to be honest about what a sucker I am, even though I realize the absurdity of it, part of me is hopeful right now... Of course, I also know this 1st quarter performance will be a distant memory in the fourth quarter.

Don't even joke around like that, I don't want the nightmares to continue...

Say Watt
12-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Holy crap dude. Please quit giving us Texans fans a bad rap. Posts like this make us the laughing stock of the NFL. Wow...

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Holy crap dude. Please quit giving us Texans fans a bad rap. Posts like this make us the laughing stock of the NFL. Wow...

We are who they think we are... At least, I am who you think I am!

TexansBlood
12-01-2013, 01:57 PM
How many drinks and xanax have you had? Its not even halftime yet

houstonspartan
12-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Now you're just trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

2slik4u
12-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Why is this a real thing?

bOODRO87
12-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Kubiak will never be a NFL head coach again.

Rey
12-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Maybe Schaub should get another shot too.

**** it. Just re-run this soap opera next year.

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 02:05 PM
How many drinks and xanax have you had? Its not even halftime yet

I take them when Kubiak does... Usually with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Just like Tom Landry... 30 years coaching one team is enough!

HJam72
12-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Great! Give 'im a five year extension!!! :clown::koolaid: :mcnugget:

Dutchrudder
12-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Only if he keeps coach Joe. Those two are a package deal.

HJam72
12-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah! Coach Joe rocked (in 2003)!!!!!! :koolaid:

kiwitexansfan
12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing till I realised we had not yet performed our patented second half swoon. You know its coming, we have all been here before this year.

houstonspartan
12-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Correct. Ironically, had he been fired in 2010, his future would have been brighter, and he likely would have gotten another shot. But 8 years is a long time to analyze a person's work history, and things look grim for Kubaik.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Correct. Ironically, had he been fired in 2010, his future would have been brighter, and he likely would have gotten another shot. But 8 years is a long time to analyze a person's work history, and things look grim for Kubaik.

Yeah that's why teams and our fans are looking at Del Rio and his 9 year track record.

JB
12-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Stop it

Just stop it

cstyle42
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I know this has to be a joke as fans we can't be as slow as Kubiak...

Rey
12-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Seriously though...I hope some of y'all are prepared for this.

I doubt Schaub will be back, but I could easily see kubiak back.

Dutchrudder
12-01-2013, 03:04 PM

I doubt Schaub will be back, but I could easily see kubiak back.

http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/c/c3/39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg

Runner
12-01-2013, 03:15 PM

"They call it puppy love" - Donny Osmond

You can get past this infatuation. Let Kubiak go. There will be other coaches to love.

Thorn
12-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Nope. 10 loses in a row. Kubiak is toast.

TexansFight
12-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Delete thread, ban user.

silvrhand
12-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Nice call.. maybe you should pick the lottery ticket up...

:voodoo:

Mr. Texan
12-01-2013, 03:59 PM
reported for trolling

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Delete thread, ban user.

So, what do you think?... We are very close... Maybe give Kubiak and Phillips one more year, replace joe Marciano, and go get a couple key free agents?:peek:

Rey
12-01-2013, 04:04 PM
So, what do you think?... We are very close... Maybe give Kubiak and Phillips one more year, replace joe Marciano, and go get a couple key free agents?:peek:

No keep kubiak, find him some new co-ordinators.

darnbni99a
12-01-2013, 04:06 PM
april fools? in december

Lucky
12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
So, what do you think?... We are very close...
The correct terminology is "on the right track". Undoubtedly, the best 2-10 team in the NFL.

HJam72
12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
I know one thing: even if he doesn't start next year (or does), we gotta keep Keenum. :clap:

Norg
12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
he needs to start winning games for that2 happen if we lose out I think it makes the decision pretty easy

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 04:11 PM

.... :kubepalm:

how many more times do you have to see this jackass get completely outcoached and out schemed in the second half.. as well as completely screw the crap out of us in clock management before you finally just become hopeful that we get somebody else in here? Kubiak is NOT a head coach.. he's not. Every problem we're ever had here under this moron's tenure happened today.

Pissing away timeouts (poor clock management), playing not to lose (sitting on the ball when you did have time outs.. by the way, lost by 3 points.., and getting completely out coached coming out of halftime (this team always makes zero adjustments).

Dale, it's OVER.. I don't give a crap if we even won today, it's over.. this moron needs to go.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 04:15 PM
he needs to start winning games for that2 happen if we lose out I think it makes the decision pretty easy

Keenum is not the reason why we're losing games.. He's played well enough to win games, especially today.

Even if we don't bring him back, somebody is going to snatch him up.. work with him and start him.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 04:17 PM

I doubt Schaub will be back, but I could easily see Kubiak back.

Kubiak is not coming back.. I don't even know why people are even discussing that possibility.

Norg
12-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Keenum is not the reason why we're losing games.. He's played well enough to win games, especially today.

Even if we don't bring him back, somebody is going to snatch him up.. work with him and start him.

actually keenum is a reason why we are losing games ...NOW I said a reason we are losing has a team IMO cuz we just straight Suck

and I wouldn't mind bring back Case for the offseason no granturee that he makes the 53 man roster tho

Cuz I really think we need to get "2" New QB's this offseason

Rey
12-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Kubiak is not coming back.. I don't even know why people are even discussing that possibility.

He has a year left on his deal.

If McNair forced reed on the team he might feel some direct responsibility. Schaub had an epic meltdown (though everyone should have seen it coming).

I could easily see him giving kubiak 1 final shot.

Bulls on Parade
12-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Nope. 10 loses in a row. Kubiak is toast.
And 11, 12, 13 and 14 to come. But the good news: Only 4 games left and we knock another one down on Thursday Night. We can enjoy our Sunday next week.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 04:27 PM
actually keenum is a reason why we are losing games ...NOW I said a reason we are losing has a team IMO cuz we just straight Suck

and I wouldn't mind bring back Case for the offseason no granturee that he makes the 53 man roster tho

Cuz I really think we need to get "2" New QB's this offseason

That's completely ludicrous.. If we bring him back, there's a guarantee he's making the 53 man roster. There's a guarantee he's going to make someone else's 53 man roster even if we don't.

As far as him being "a" reason why we're losing games.. he just got done with only his 6th start in the NFL.. and it's not like he's crapping the bed out there. He's put this team in position to win games, they just aren't. You notice how we always start out strong and they get the crap kicked out of us in the second half (on both sides of the ball)? That's coaching. You can name any player outside of Watt right now and say They're "a" reason why we're losing.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2013, 04:31 PM

how many more times do you have to see this jackass get completely outcoached and out schemed in the second half.. as well as completely screw the crap out of us in clock management before you finally just become hopeful that we get somebody else in here? Kubiak is NOT a head coach.. he's not. Every problem we're ever had here under this moron's tenure happened today.

Pissing away timeouts (poor clock management), playing not to lose (sitting on the ball when you did have time outs.. by the way, lost by 3 points.., and getting completely out coached coming out of halftime (this team always makes zero adjustments).

Dale, it's OVER.. I don't give a crap if we even won today, it's over.. this moron needs to go.

Well said. Right now the best thing is for them to lose out and make Bob's job easier. Kubes will get jumped on as an O coordinator but not a HC again...IMO

Rey
12-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Well said. Right now the best thing is for them to lose out and make Bob's job easier. Kubes will get jumped on as an O coordinator but not a HC again...IMO

I agree. I think kubiak is a poor head coach, but I think he's a good OC.

Lucky
12-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I agree. I think kubiak is a poor head coach, but I think he's a good OC.
Maybe in the role he had in Denver. Where he didn't have to call plays.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 04:35 PM
He has a year left on his deal.

If McNair forced reed on the team he might feel some direct responsibility. Schaub had an epic meltdown (though everyone should have seen it coming).

I could easily see him giving kubiak 1 final shot.

Kubiak is not coming back.. he's gone. It doesn't even matter that he has another year left on his deal. He's gone. The guy is making mistakes left and right and is having strokes out on the field. The guy is done here, because while McNair may have to eat a little money to say goodbye, he'll still say goodbye, because having to eat the final year of Kubiak's contract will pale in comparison to the financial losses and mutiny that'll he'll be risking by bringing him back... not to mention the embarrassment he'd have to face if Kubiak falls on his face again (which to some extent he's already having to face). McNair is not going to risk any of that.

Gary Kubiak will be fired at the end of this season.

TexansFight
12-01-2013, 04:36 PM

You are either (a) straight up trolling, (b) Joe Texan's sock or (c) as drunk as Joe Texan gets on gameday. You can't be taken seriously ever again unless you explain yourself.

Rey
12-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Kubiak is not coming back.. he's gone. It doesn't even matter that he has another year left on his deal. He's gone. The guy is making mistakes left and right and is having strokes out on the field. The guy is done here, because while McNair may have to eat a little money to say goodbye, he'll still say goodbye, because having to eat the final year of Kubiak's contract will pale in comparison to the financial losses and mutiny that'll he'll be risking by bringing him back... not to mention the embarrassment he'd have to face if Kubiak falls on his face again (which to some extent he's already having to face). McNair is not going to risk any of that.

Gary Kubiak will be fired at the end of this season.

Agree to disagree.

I don't think McNair makes decisions based on feeling embarrassed. I'm sure he's been ashamed plenty.

I think McNair genuinely believed in the guys he has in place. I think if anything he will look at player evaluation more carefully.

I'm not saying kubiak won't get fired. I'm saying that I think it's possible he won't be.

HJam72
12-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I think Kubiak is toast.

JB
12-01-2013, 04:51 PM
I can easily see McNair looking at all the injuries and Schaub's meltdown and giving Kubiak another chance...

what excuses is he gonna use for Wade tho?

I have a hard time seeing him firing Wade and keeping Gary

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Maybe in the role he had in Denver. Where he didn't have to call plays.

That was debunked long ago.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Agree to disagree.

I don't think McNair makes decisions based on feeling embarrassed. I'm sure he's been ashamed plenty.

I think McNair genuinely believed in the guys he has in place. I think if anything he will look at player evaluation more carefully.

I'm not saying Kubiak won't get fired. I'm saying that I think it's possible he won't be.

Embarrassment won't be his only deciding factor. He's risking to lose more money by bringing Kubiak back than he is just by eating the cost of his final deal (did you see how many empty seats there were today), his credibility is also on the line with the entire "SB or Bust" statement. Hell teams that go .500 or 9-7 team and fail to make the playoffs in a "SB or Bust" season are considered teams that busted.. Teams that are in line to hold the #1 ovrl pick in a "SB or bust" season are the epitome of complete failure. Right now Kubiak has Lloyd Christmas type odds of coming back.

McNair is too patient for his own good, which is one of the reasons why fans are scared he'll bring him back, but he also believed in David Carr and even he finally realized the error of his ways and moved on. Even though he believed in Kubiak, it doesn't mean he still does. He's already had to force the man to hire a new D.C. and has already slapped his hand with the way he's handled the starting QB position. I don't think there's a whole lot of belief there any more. I'm pretty sure even Bob McNair has lost his faith in Gary.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I can easily see McNair looking at all the injuries and Schaub's meltdown and giving Kubiak another chance...

what excuses is he gonna use for Wade tho?

I have a hard time seeing him firing Wade and keeping Gary

Injuries are not a excuse.. they're only a excuse for losing teams.

What injuries have we suffered that other teams with winning records haven't?

The 2-10 record we now have isn't because of injuries. This team was underachieving before we started even having them.

JB
12-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Injuries are not a excuse.. they're only a excuse for losing teams.

What injuries have we suffered that other teams with winning records haven't?

The 2-10 record we now have isn't because of injuries. This team was underachieving before we started even having them.

I'm saying that McNair may use that as he did in 2010. I don't think they should weigh that heavily but he may.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm saying that McNair may use that as he did in 2010. I don't think they should weigh that heavily but he may.

If he does that than he's a complete dumbass, because injuries haven't been that huge of a factor IMO.

We didn't lose our starting QB, because he was injured.. we lost him because he completely sucked and was beat out.

Yes we lost Cushing, but we also did last season where we went to the playoffs and unlike 2010 and 11 A. Johnson has been healthy. Losing Foster stinks, but a lot of RBs go down, that just goes with the position and it's not like the people we've thrown out there have been incompetent (BTW I thought Johnson should've got more touches today). He'll be a dumbass if he tries to pin this disappointing season on injuries.. all teams have injuries, the good teams over come them. The team that beat us today has..

Hervoyel
12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Look we scored 31 points today but gave up 34 (and 27 of those in the second half). The thing is against a bad or weak defense Kubiak's offense can still score points. Against a competent defense or one that's not missing some key pieces this offense isn't particularly productive anymore.

Today was about Wade's "Fisher-Price" defense crapping the bed though. Nobody's winning games when their defense is letting the other team run up and down the field over and over again for TD's.

But no more chances for Kubiak. He's had plenty of chances. He's done, or he should be.

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm joking... Making fun of myself for convincing myself so many times and trying to make light of this fiasco of a situation... knowing that they would eek out a loss when they were up ten and playing great. I hope Kubiak takes a year off, assesses the past 8 years and eventually lands a good college head coaching job- I think he would do well in college.

Showtime100
12-01-2013, 05:47 PM
I watched the Texans lose today. Ehhh, I'm alright. Expected it, glad they didn't get blown out. It was a "beneficial" loss and all the while I could see at least they weren't tanking (which would be tantamount to treason). All in all I'm cool with what happened given the bar is so low it's halfway to China.

Then I saw this thread. I'm freaking depressed. How can one lose weight with threads like this in the world? [repeating to myself "food is not love, food is not love"] :shades:

(I wonder what a Southern Comfort float would taste like?)

Texecutioner
12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I sat here at the game today realizing that the Pats were having a bad game. but at no point did I ever think the Texans would win the game. I knew that the Patriots were great at finding ways to win and the Texans were great at finding ways to lose. In the end, I knew that that somehow the Texans would lose. I have felt this way for six and a half years. The Texans just took their 3 straight loss from the Patriots in the last two seasons.

Surreal McCoy
12-01-2013, 06:03 PM

But that doesn't stop them...we've still got the 'no audibles' urban myth being cited as gospel :spin:

YeaLikeRightNow
12-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Look we scored 31 points today but gave up 34 (and 27 of those in the second half). The thing is against a bad or weak defense Kubiak's offense can still score points. Against a competent defense or one that's not missing some key pieces this offense isn't particularly productive anymore.

Today was about Wade's "Fisher-Price" defense crapping the bed though. Nobody's winning games when their defense is letting the other team run up and down the field over and over again for TD's.

But no more chances for Kubiak. He's had plenty of chances. He's done, or he should be.

Most of the pre-game shows touched on coaching Hot Seats, and one commentator said Kubiak is sitting on the hottest one. He said the "health" issue is more than viable for his release at the end of the season.

Sigma
12-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Nobody's winning games when their defense is letting the other team run up and down the field over and over again for TD's.

looks like new england just did it

Lucky
12-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Kubiak didn't call plays in Denver until late in his tenure. Not during the Elway Super Bowl years. Besides the point, he hasn't been a good play caller here, when he did it. Gary Kubiak is not a good play caller.

This is not Kubiak's offense. It is Shanahan's, who created it from a Reeves/Walsh amalgam. This is not Kubiak's running attack. That came from Alex Gibbs. Kubiak is not a special innovator. There's nothing special about him. I doubt very seriously that he draws a lot of attention as a NFL assistant. Unless he has a friend that gets a head coaching job. He has proven to be among the least capable head coaches in this league. He knows nothing of the defensive side of the ball. He has no interest or respect for special teams. He knows less football than Dom Capers, who regularly gets trashed here and never got the opportunities that Kubiak has bee given. Gary Kubiak would be best served as a mid-small college coach that doesn't have to meet high expectations. He'd be perfect at Rice.

Honoring Earl 34
12-01-2013, 07:34 PM
What was that TV show ? Of yeah ... 8 is enough . :clown:

Hervoyel
12-01-2013, 07:45 PM
looks like new england just did it

Nope, in the second half we had the ball 6 times and scored two TD's New England had the ball 6 times in the second half and scored 3 TD's in a row followed by a pair of FG's.

So 5 out o 6 times they got the ball in the second half they scored.

SchaubApologist
12-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Kubiak didn't call plays in Denver until late in his tenure. Not during the Elway Super Bowl years. Besides the point, he hasn't been a good play caller here, when he did it. Gary Kubiak is not a good play caller.

This is not Kubiak's offense. It is Shanahan's, who created it from a Reeves/Walsh amalgam. This is not Kubiak's running attack. That came from Alex Gibbs. Kubiak is not a special innovator. There's nothing special about him. I doubt very seriously that he draws a lot of attention as a NFL assistant. Unless he has a friend that gets a head coaching job. He has proven to be among the least capable head coaches in this league. He knows nothing of the defensive side of the ball. He has no interest or respect for special teams. He knows less football than Dom Capers, who regularly gets trashed here and never got the opportunities that Kubiak has bee given. Gary Kubiak would be best served as a mid-small college coach that doesn't have to meet high expectations. He'd be perfect at Rice.

Wow, this could not be more true.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Kubiak didn't call plays in Denver until late in his tenure. Not during the Elway Super Bowl years.

Kubiak assumed play calling early in the 2nd SB season so incorrect.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like his play calling here.

chicagotexan2
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
The calendar say December 1st not April 1st.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Thought this thread was from 2010.

houstonspartan
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Agree with every word of this.

You forgot one: Gary Kubiak is not a "QB guru." Enough with calling him one. The guy has ridden the John Elway/Steve Young Super Bowl train long enough. He has not nothing with QB's over the last 10 years. Nada.

No one wants to take a serious, hard look at Gary Kubiak's career, because Gary is a "nice guy" and no one wants to knock a nice guy. But if you really look at what he has accomplished, it's not as impressive as people think.

Uncle Rico
12-01-2013, 08:39 PM
If Kubiak was ok with being a coordinator he could get a job almost immediately. You can try to discredit it as much as you want its all there in black and white.

Head coach on the other hand probably won't happen again for him.

Retire.

datchapin
12-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Oh ell no, you di'in jus say that!

I wouldn't want Kubes even as an OC! Maybe back in 10' I would have been fine with him as OC, but he's shown in the last three years that the only thing he's consistent with is being inconsistent. I don't know who we'll bring in, at this point I really don't care. It is time to change. Eight years is three years too long, even by the most of conservative standards!

HoustonFrog
12-01-2013, 09:48 PM
If Kubiak was ok with being a coordinator he could get a job almost immediately. You can try to discredit it as much as you want its all there in black and white.

Head coach on the other hand probably won't happen again for him.

Retire.

Agree. As I said above, he'll get a OC job. Not that I think he has done well enough in Houston. He is conservative and doesn't adjust well. But the league is full of retreads and there are many of those that are ex HCs getting coordinator jobs. So overall that is his best bet. I've wanted him gone from Houston for years and they aren't even my primary team. So much so that I wrote McNair before they brought on Wade.

TexansFight
12-01-2013, 09:53 PM

Rice has a competent head coach in David Bailiff. Kubiak would be a serious downgrade for Rice.

Lucky
12-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Kubiak assumed play calling early in the 2nd SB season so incorrect.

From a New York Times article dated December 12, 1999.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/12/sports/pro-football-notebook-calling-the-plays-is-sometimes-the-coach-s-call.html)

Mike Shanahan of the Denver Broncos is considered by many National Football League coaches to be the best play-caller in the game. The head coach spends dozens of hours during the week planning.

When he eats, he thinks about plays. When he dreams, he sees X's and O's. During the Broncos' two Super Bowl runs, watching Shanahan call plays was like seeing a skilled pilot perform the perfect aerial maneuver. It was a thing of beauty.

And Shanahan would never, ever permanently hand off the play-calling duties to someone else on his staff, as Giants Coach Jim Fassel has done. In Shanahan's world, to do so is blasphemy.

''I have the utmost confidence in my offensive coordinator, Gary Kubiak,'' Shanahan said this past week, ''but the reason I have not given up the play calling on a long-term basis is because I think what happens is you remove yourself from the game.''

He added: ''You become detached. I think it hurts you as a coach in the long run. And what if you give those duties to your offensive coordinator, and for a year or two he calls the plays, then leaves for a head coaching job? Then instead of you learning all of the nuances of the offense those few years, your offensive coordinator learned them and took those lessons to another team.''

Lucky
12-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Rice has a competent head coach in David Bailiff. Kubiak would be a serious downgrade for Rice.
I should have said "a Rice", describing what type of school would be a good fit.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 11:49 PM

I have seen Shanahan interviewed and describing it as just like Kubiak does here with an OC making the initial call and then the HC making the final call. But whatever. Minor point in the grand scheme and he is toast either way.

Texecutioner
12-01-2013, 11:52 PM
I should have said "a Rice", describing what type of school would be a good fit.

At some point I think he takes over Aggie. God, I'd love to see that.

SchaubApologist
12-02-2013, 01:49 AM
At some point I think he takes over Aggie. God, I'd love to see that.

zero chance gary lands a big time program HC job...

back to qb coach.. but, i think he'll just retire.

SchaubApologist
12-02-2013, 01:51 AM
I have seen Shanahan interviewed and describing it as just like Kubiak does here with an OC making the initial call and then the HC making the final call. But whatever. Minor point in the grand scheme and he is toast either way.

hehe prolly just best to admit that you were wrong, and move on...

we all are disappointed with the season.

:pirate:

Shaunny66
12-02-2013, 02:13 AM
I don't see him returning next year as the head coach.

Tolar's Ghost
12-02-2013, 02:18 AM

Kubiak should go. But aren't you being a little tough on him regarding his future coaching prospects? I think he could do considerably better than a Rice.

His career record in the NFL is 61-63. Yet Jack Del Rio, whose record is 68-71, reportedly is one of the top candidates for the USC job.

And Marvin Lewis is only 87-84. Would anyone suggest that his next job would be at "a Rice"?

Bulls on Parade
12-02-2013, 02:22 AM
I admire and respect Gary Kubiak as much as the next guy, but that ship has sailed my friends. It's time to move on and set our sights on a brighter future. This team is in need of major change. One fluke game today against a beat up Patriots defense, another game we lost no less, doesn't really impress me all that much. The players did play hard for 60 minutes which I'm proud of but the bottom line is we needed that type of effort all season long. Not just one game.

HJam72
12-02-2013, 04:22 AM
I admire and respect Gary Kubiak as much as the next guy, but that ship has sailed my friends. It's time to move on and set our sights on a brighter future. This team is in need of major change. One fluke game today against a beat up Patriots defense, another game we lost no less, doesn't really impress me all that much. The players did play hard for 60 minutes which I'm proud of but the bottom line is we needed that type of effort all season long. Not just one game.

Yep, I most definitely saw a lack of effort in at least a few games, probably most of them.

leebigeztx
12-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Good coaches don't lose 10 games in a row. You really can make the case they really shouldn't have a win. Its time for him to go. Coaches have been fired for less

Double Barrel
12-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/12/sports/pro-football-notebook-calling-the-plays-is-sometimes-the-coach-s-call.html)

Interesting story, and it directly contradicts another about the subject.

The original story is now behind a pay wall, but it was originally here (http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/031111/Sports_coles.asp).

I had C&Ped the article for future use, as follows (bolded is the part about Kubiak):

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Coles Saves the Redskins

Spurrier’s Gambles Pay Off in 27-20 Victory over Seattle

By Michael N. Graff
The Winchester Star

LANDOVER, Md. — On the seventh play of the second quarter Sunday, the Washington Redskins’ week of desperate times and desperate measures almost reached a point of no return.

Seattle defensive back Damien Robinson sprinted down the sideline, carrying a ball that certainly wasn’t intended for him when Patrick Ramsey released it.
The only thing in front of Robinson was the end zone. In front of the Redskins was a 3-6 record, a fifth straight loss, another week of ridicule, and another season on the brink of disaster.

Behind was Laveranues Coles. The Redskins needed Coles’ speed in the offseason, so they gave him $35 million. They never knew they’d need it in a situation like this.

Coles said he wasn’t thinking of the gravity of the situation at the time. But when he chased down Robinson at the 2-yard line and stripped the ball, allowing teammate Randy Thomas to fall on it, Coles had rescued the Redskins from all things imminent.

“When you’re in a game, you’re not really thinking about the whole season,” Coles said. “You try not to get too far ahead of yourself.”

It’s far too early to tell if Coles’ play saved the season for the Redskins. But it certainly saved them on this day.

Washington scored a touchdown on its next drive — a 15-yard pass to Coles, no less. At 14-10, the Redskins were not only hanging around, they were back in the game. And they used that to win 27-20.

Redskins coach Steve Spurrier had hardly stepped up for his postgame press conference before proclaiming Coles’ play as the biggest of the game.
“Otherwise, we’re down 21-3 and look like we’re in dire straits and going nowhere,” Spurrier said.

The play was a microcosm of a week in which the Redskins — specifically Spurrier — made decisions like a team that was backed into a corner.

Early in the week, Spurrier resorted to asking advice from another head coach, Denver Broncos’ Mike Shanahan. Spurrier, portrayed by many as arrogant when it comes to his offense, wanted to know how Shanahan handled play-calling duties with Broncos’ offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

When Shanahan told Spurrier that the Broncos immediately won two Super Bowls when Kubiak took over calling plays, the second-year Redskins’ coach didn’t need any more convincing.

“I said, ‘Gosh, I’ll try anything to get us over the hump,’” Spurrier said.

So Washington offensive coordinator Hue Jackson came down from the coaches’ box and stood on the sideline Sunday, calling most of the plays and running them through Spurrier.

“If I have to bench the play caller, then I can do that,” Spurrier said. “So I benched myself.”

Said Jackson: “Coach didn’t bench himself. Coach is like every good coach. You get into a situation sometimes and you say, ‘Let’s do something different.’
“He said, ‘Coach, take a run at it.’ That’s a credit to him. A lot of guys wouldn’t do that. I’m just thankful I work for a guy like that.”

Jackson even gave a speech to the team Saturday night, something the players credited as motivational.

“Our players, regardless of what they say, I think they read (the criticism),” Jackson said. “And it kind of infiltrated inside of us. That was the message. You can’t worry about those things that are being said.”

There seemed to be no worries or safe-first-thinking after Coles’ play.
In a tie game late in the fourth quarter, Spurrier chose to go for a fourth-and-inches from the Redskins’ own 25-yard line.

“We needed to go try to win the game,” Spurrier later reasoned. “We didn’t need to hope.”

The game-winning trick play — where Ramsey slung a backward pass to wide receiver Rod Gardner, who threw across the field to wide open running back Trung Candidate — might have been more calculated than risky.

The Redskins ran a handful of wide receiver screens in the game, and the touchdown set up as a carbon copy. And Gardner was a former standout prep quarterback in Florida.

“I think we baited them into it the whole game,” Gardner said. “...Right now, I’m a hundred-percent quarterback rating for this year.”

The play set off a wild celebration on the Redskins’ side, where even Spurrier could be seen opening his first smile in over a month.

“I’m just happy for the coaches and my owner, Mr. (Daniel) Snyder,” Coles said. “He was taking such a beating in the papers, and coach Spurrier’s taking a beating in the papers.

“But hopefully they can get a good night’s rest tonight. That’s what’s important for me and my teammates, is that our coaches are happy. Because they take care of us.”

Added Spurrier: “I still think we’re right in there as good a team as most of them out there. We certainly haven’t played like a real good team thus far. But maybe this will get us a little momentum, confidence or whatever, to get a spark in us.”

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Kubiak to stay as our HC. Dude needs to be let go the day after our last game.

However, I do think a bit of a witch hunt mentality takes place sometimes where we give someone absolutely no credit when we are ready to see them go.

The 2013 Texans suck for sure. But let's not forget that the Capers version sucked the entire time. At least Kubiak brought some positives to the franchise, and we are not sitting around for two decades waiting for our first winning season (much less a playoff appearance/win, i.e. the Saints for 20 years in the NFL).

Exascor
12-02-2013, 02:36 PM

The original story is now behind a pay wall, but it was originally here (http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/031111/Sports_coles.asp).

I had C&Ped the article for future use, as follows (bolded is the part about Kubiak):

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Kubiak to stay as our HC. Dude needs to be let go the day after our last game.

However, I do think a bit of a witch hunt mentality takes place sometimes where we give someone absolutely no credit when we are ready to see them go.

The 2013 Texans suck for sure. But let's not forget that the Capers version sucked the entire time. At least Kubiak brought some positives to the franchise, and we are not sitting around for two decades waiting for our first winning season (much less a playoff appearance/win, i.e. the Saints for 20 years in the NFL).MSR DB. I was a fan of Kubiak and had visions of a native Houstonian coach lifting the Lombardi. The fact is that Kubiak was NOT a good head coach in the first few years. He wasn't nearly as bad as people made him out to be though. He was learning and the NFL really isn't the level someone needs to learn how to be a HC. He's also not nearly as bad as we make him out to be now. He's just not good enough in any area to overcome adversity. That said, some of his biggest mistakes were reasonably simple to fix. Maybe he just couldn't see the mistakes. He either didn't fix them or (reportedly) was forced to. Not good.

-Hiring a rookie DC is something no rookie HC/OC should ever do (IMO). He did it twice. Wade Phillips isn't the future for the Texans but he at least turned the defense into something NFL caliber.
-Providing no competition at QB. Ever. It was always Schaub's job. He couldn't lose it. Took an injury to replace him and he was given ANOTHER opportunity. Imagine if Keenum had been named starter in the preseason and was able to get more reps.
-The Texans offense never looked better (IMO) than when Shanahan was calling the plays. Maybe that was more because defenses didn't have enough tape to figure out Shanahan's tendencies yet. Kubiak seemed to have hit a rut. Kubiak should have replaced him with someone capable of calling plays.

Sometimes the most difficult thing to do as a leader is to delegate. I know I have trouble doing it. Kubiak should have backed off from being a HC/OC and concentrated on being a HC. Now it's too late. This year he's lost touch with what it takes to be a good HC (Schaub) and he hasn't been a good OC either.

If I were in charge of the Texans, Kubiak would be let go Jan 2, 2014.

Off topic: I'd also let go EVERY coach on the staff & Rick Smith. Time to start over and hope the new regime can add some talent and get this team back to the playoffs fast.

houstonspartan
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM

The 2013 Texans suck for sure. But let's not forget that the Capers version sucked the entire time. At least Kubiak brought some positives to the franchise, and we are not sitting around for two decades waiting for our first winning season (much less a playoff appearance/win, i.e. the Saints for 20 years in the NFL).

There's no witch hunt. People are simply facing facts that we need a new coach. And more and more people have come to the realization.

Kubiak put this team on the map, in a sense; we are thankful to him for that. But he is unable to move the needle to the next level.

I give the guy credit for some things. But let's not pretend that the guy is some kind of genius JUST because he wasn't as bad as the previous guy. That's nonsense.

Forgot to mention: Kubiak has been given a longer leash than most professional coaches. That fact alone warrants him being on the hot seat. Coaches have been fired for a hell of a lot less.

HJam72
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM

It might have been on the other boards, but a poster recently stated that Shanahan always called all the plays when Kubiak was there, that Kubiak never called plays.

Thanks for posting this.

I agree that Kubiak needs to go, but I DO think that there has been somewhat of a witch-hunt mentality. I also think it has spread some to Phillips.

houstonspartan
12-02-2013, 02:55 PM
It might have been on the other boards, but a poster recently stated that Shanahan always called all the plays when Kubiak was there, that Kubiak never called plays.

Thanks for posting this.

I agree that Kubiak needs to go, but I DO think that there has been somewhat of a witch-hunt mentality. I also think it has spread some to Phillips.

Again: what's witch-hunt-y about saying, "This coach has been here 8 years, and is not the answer. Thanks for everything, but, he's gotta go."?

To me, a witch-hunt implies nit picking. For example, people are still furious that Kubiak doesn't look at field goals, and that he taps the podium during his press conferences. A LOT of people complain about those things. I haven't, because I didn't really care.

But, looking at a person's overall record and finally deciding that we need a change is not witch-hunting. It's smart. And fair.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2013, 02:57 PM
"Maybe Kubiak should get another chance".......with another team next year

infantrycak
12-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Again: what's witch-hunt-y about saying, "This coach has been here 8 years, and is not the answer. Thanks for everything, but, he's gotta go."?

To me, a witch-hunt implies nit picking. For example, people are still furious that Kubiak doesn't look at field goals, and that he taps the podium during his press conferences. A LOT of people complain about those things. I haven't, because I didn't really care.

But, looking at a person's overall record and finally deciding that we need a change is not witch-hunting. It's smart. And fair.

You just defined exactly the witch hunt that is transpiring here across the board - admin, coaches, players. Many people are not sticking to "Kubiak has been here 8 years and is not the answer." There is all sorts of nit picking and outright revisionist fabrication going on.

houstonspartan
12-02-2013, 03:12 PM
You just defined exactly the witch hunt that is transpiring here across the board - admin, coaches, players. Many people are not sticking to "Kubiak has been here 8 years and is not the answer." There is all sorts of nit picking and outright revisionist fabrication going on.

Fair point. I can only speak for myself. I never cared about things like the fact that he didn't look at field goals, or the podium tapping. I have wondered about his use of time-outs. But, overall, I've tried to look at his overall record, and it's not impressive.

When everybody is up in the air about him not watching field goals, that, to me, implies witch hunt.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Fair point. I can only speak for myself. I never cared about things like the fact that he didn't look at field goals, or the podium tapping. I have wondered about his use of time-outs. But, overall, I've tried to look at his overall record, and it's not impressive.

When everybody is up in the air about him not watching field goals, that, to me, implies witch hunt.

Or the "Denny's menu", when 90% of HC in the league use similar play sheets

Texian
12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Absolutely Kubiak should be given another chance....as an OC with another team in the NFL or as a HC with some college. Looking back my first red flag with Kubiak came in his first month as HC and his explanation of hiring his coaches (aka Friends & Family Plan). Being new I thought soldier on, he might be right and I really didn't see a better alternative at the time. My last straw for Kubiak was again hiring a novice DC, Frank Bush and the process (there was none) and all the interviews for the position (there were none) after firing Richard Smith.

steelbtexan
12-02-2013, 04:12 PM

BS, after 8 yrs people want/have wanted change. Sorry that your Kubiak jock sniffing thingy didn't work out.

Gary should've been fired 3-4 yrs ago, that's when this witch hunt that you speak of should've happened. Everything since then has been wasted time. Anybody without their battle red sunglasses on should've been able to see that 1. Gary is very stubborn and is unwilling to change with the times. 2. Not a guy that can handle things well when under pressure. 3. Not a good, much less great HC. This can be seen in his record against teams with above .500 records.

This thread is just DM refusing to admit his hero has failed. That is all. Of course DM isn't about doing everything necessary to put a winner on the field. So it would figure that Gary is his kinda guy.

Nitrofish
12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
BS, after 8 yrs people want/have wanted change. Sorry that your Kubiak jock sniffing thingy didn't work out.

Gary should've been fired 3-4 yrs ago, that's when this witch hunt that you speak of should've happened. Everything since then has been wasted time. Anybody without their battle red sunglasses on should've been able to see that 1. Gary is very stubborn and is unwilling to change with the times. 2. Not a guy that can handle things well when under pressure. 3. Not a good, much less great HC. This can be seen in his record against teams with above .500 records.

This thread is just DM refusing to admit his hero has failed. That is all. Of course DM isn't about doing everything necessary to put a winner on the field. So it would figure that Gary is his kinda guy.

I would not call back 2 back division championships wasted time. But then, your are good at exaggerating the truth, or spinning it to fit your narrative.

Rey
12-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Why do we subtract points for the patriots being undermanned, but we boast about back to back division championships when the rest of the division sucked and our best competition was the rookie led colts going through all kinds if stuff.

We still haven't won in Indy.

LoL. Lolz. Hahahaha. Lmao.

WE STILL HAVENT WON IN INDY!!!!!!

The texans shining moment against "tough" competition was going up to Denver and beating the broncos with a fresh start Peyton manning.

Anytime a real team in good health comes around the block we shrivel like dead daisies.

Kubiak is mediocre at BEST as a HC. Texans team = fake. They are frauds. Not every individual, but the team as a whole is fraudulent. Kubiak and Schaub are the biggest fakes of all.

Norg
12-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Why do we subtract points for the patriots being undermanned, but we boast about back to back division championships when the rest of the division sucked and our best competition was the rookie led colts going through all kinds if stuff.

We still haven't won in Indy.

LoL. Lolz. Hahahaha. Lmao.

WE STILL HAVENT WON IN INDY!!!!!!

The texans shining moment against "tough" competition was going up to Denver and beating the broncos with a fresh start Peyton manning.

Anytime a real team comes around the block we shrivel dead daisies.

Kubiak is mediocre at BEST as a HC.

well I say we have a chance to make it happen dis year :bender:

steelbtexan
12-02-2013, 04:45 PM
I would not call back 2 back division championships wasted time. But then, your are good at exaggerating the truth, or spinning it to fit your narrative.

There should be no trumpeting about winning 2 division championships against a weak division. With the HFA on the line big game Gary came up short at Indy again.

The difference is your OK with the kinda team that wins games but stinks everytime they play a good team. Me not so much. 8 yrs and not 1 win at Indy speaks volumes.

Double Barrel
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
There's no witch hunt. People are simply facing facts that we need a new coach. And more and more people have come to the realization.

Sure, a lot of folks are remaining objective about it, even those that were complete Kubiak homers.

My witch hunt comment was not trying to broad brush everyone that wants Kubiak gone...which is about 99.9% of Texans fans now (including myself).

But there is certainly some fans that act like 2011 and 2012 were not worth it. And I'm not sorry that I enjoyed the hell out of those seasons, regardless of this abysmal season. And TBH, I do not recall too many of them bitching about these seasons while they were happening.

There are no guarantees in football, and year to year there are only a handful of teams that consistently compete at a high level. For about 28 other NFL teams, it's a roller coaster ride from year to year. Until we get a HoF caliber QB and a HC that knows how to use him, we will most likely continue that roller coaster ride. That's the NFL, and always has been from a Houston perspective. We have never seen a dynasty based in this city.

JB
12-02-2013, 05:39 PM
We have never seen a dynasty based in this city.

Hey, Billy Cannon led the Houston Oilers to TWO championships in '61 :D

:kitten:

Double Barrel
12-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey, Billy Cannon led the Houston Oilers to TWO championships in '61 :D

:kitten:

lol! Very true! And what did Houston fans to but run that team out of town! ....some 35 years later, of course...

*does math in head*

Waaaaay before my time! :bubbles: BUBBLES!

MasterCush
12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
If Kubiak showed ANY balls at some point, I'd give him a second chance.

He disappointed me agin yesterday when he chose to go into locker room at half time with plenty of time on the clock. Also, running it on 3rd and 18?

Same old conservative crap. We need someone ruthless like Belichick. Someone pissed off that everyone respects and keeps kicking their opponents when they are down. This is football for Christ's sake.

infantrycak
12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
He disappointed me agin yesterday when he chose to go into locker room at half time with plenty of time on the clock.

28 seconds on your own 20 yd line is "plenty of time"?

Texian
12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
28 seconds on your own 20 yd line is "plenty of time"?

28 seconds left, your ball on your own 20, with a rookie UDFA QB who hasn't won a game, better odds for SIX AGAINST the Home Team than SIX FOR the Home Team.

Thorn
12-02-2013, 07:57 PM
28 seconds left, your ball on your own 20, with a rookie UDFA QB who hasn't won a game, better odds for SIX AGAINST the Home Team than SIX FOR the Home Team.

At this point in the season, what does it really matter? Pull the trigger and see what happens. So we lose, so what? We're getting pretty good at that anyway.

TXAg14
12-02-2013, 08:01 PM
At this point in the season, what does it really matter? Pull the trigger and see what happens. So we lose, so what? We're getting pretty good at that anyway.

Up 17 to 7, putting together a decent first half. I agree with just kneeling. Yeah, so what if we lose...but if Keenum throws a bad pick, or the texas give up points before the half...it's just going to demoralize them further.

If there is a minute on the clock...yeah, run a few plays and see if you can pick some first downs and get within striking distance. But 28 seconds isn't really enough time to do anything.

Thorn
12-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Up 17 to 7, putting together a decent first half. I agree with just kneeling. Yeah, so what if we lose...but if Keenum throws a bad pick, or the texas give up points before the half...it's just going to demoralize them further.

If there is a minute on the clock...yeah, run a few plays and see if you can pick some first downs and get within striking distance. But 28 seconds isn't really enough time to do anything.

meh......28 seconds is enough to two, maybe three pass plays. Two 40 yard completions and we get another TD. What would be the harm in trying? We lose? LOL

Texian
12-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Very good point. It's not like the Texans were actually playing for something. Although Kubiak may believe he's still playing for his job???

HJam72
12-03-2013, 08:19 AM
meh......28 seconds is enough to two, maybe three pass plays. Two 40 yard completions and we get another TD. What would be the harm in trying? We lose? LOL

If I'm the opposing DC (and have half a brain), I'm running dime package (or worse--like 10 DB's and 1 linemen) when you try to pass in that situation and your first 40 yard attempt is almost guaranteed to give me the ball back AT MY OWN 40. Now I've got it back and am thinking about a possible field-goal attempt after a few more plays. This is if my DB doesn't run it back for a TD when he picks it off. A 40 yard pass in that situation is a punt without the punt coverage team on the field.

Thorn
12-03-2013, 09:14 AM
If I'm the opposing DC (and have half a brain), I'm running dime package (or worse--like 10 DB's and 1 linemen) when you try to pass in that situation and your first 40 yard attempt is almost guaranteed to give me the ball back AT MY OWN 40. Now I've got it back and am thinking about a possible field-goal attempt after a few more plays. This is if my DB doesn't run it back for a TD when he picks it off. A 40 yard pass in that situation is a punt without the punt coverage team on the field.

But they weren't running that type of defense, and even if they were, throw it out of bounds. Taking a chance doesn't mean you are deliberately trying to turn the ball over.

HJam72
12-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to snap the ball and see what the coverage does. Like you said, he can always make a game of it by seeing how high he can throw it into the stands.

Thorn
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to snap the ball and see what the coverage does. Like you said, he can always make a game of it by seeing how high he can throw it into the stands.

When you're 2-10, might as well try stuff you wouldn't normally do. There's no point in worrying about the season at this point. Unless you're Kubiak, and that sorry excuse for a HC better be gone next year anyway.

infantrycak
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Unless in his effort to buy time he winds his way 16 yards behind the line of scrimmage (we've never seen that) and gets a sack fumble for a TD (we've never seen that).

Double Barrel
12-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't see the point in making bad football decisions because the team sucks. It reeks of desperation in a season already saturated with the stench of a monumental losing streak.

Hervoyel
12-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I swear every time I read this thread title I throw up a little in the back of my mouth.

But no, I don't want to see anyone snapping the ball and just waiting to see what happens. Nothing good is going to come from that. I'd prefer the team go down swinging while at least trying to teach Keenum to do things the right way.