PDA

View Full Version : GM reaplacement

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Im thinking Scott Pioli would fit well, thoughts, any other options come to anyones mind? ( sorry of this is in wrong section in advance)

steelbtexan
11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Im thinking Scott Pioli would fit well, thoughts, any other options come to anyones mind? ( sorry of this is in wrong section in advance)

DeCosta
Savage

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I said Pioli cause he constructed the Pats superbowl teams, to include the undefeated reg. season team. While he did hurt himself signing Cassel, and hiring Weis and Crennel, he also constructed the current Chiefs Team.

bhsman
11-30-2013, 11:14 PM

Any Chiefs fan I know absolutely hated Pioli, FWIW.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Because of the Cassel/Crennel/ Weis moves. But go over their roster, drafts prior to his "dismissal", and try to find something other than QB moves to complain about. He manages the cap very very well, which os a big plus in my book.

stingray
11-30-2013, 11:22 PM

He missed on some picks, but he also hit on Eric Berry, Justin Houston and Dontari Poe.

Texian
11-30-2013, 11:24 PM
A good place to start:

Eric DeCosta
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

Eliot Wolf
http://www.packers.com/team/staff/eliot-wolf/554e5cf2-a949-4cb5-8d85-11e979ac48b3

Chris Polian
http://www.jaguars.com/team/scouts/chris-polian.htm

Contrary to popular belief Pioli did not pick most of Kansas City's top players.

Tolar's Ghost
11-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Omar Khan, Director of Business and Football Administration with the Steelers.

Who knows? Maybe he could convince Cowher to come aboard.

Playoffs
11-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Scott Pioli? http://www.slyck.com/forums/images/smilies/foilhatcg3.gif

Arrowhead anxiety: Turnover off the field causes concern (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html)

The Kansas City Chiefs Might Have The Worst Workplace In America (http://deadspin.com/5876426/the-kansas-city-chiefs-might-have-the-worst-workplace-in-america)

https://d2fhxf8f1mx9n3.cloudfront.net/styles/pirates/smilies/facepalm.gif

b0ng
12-01-2013, 05:17 AM
He'll no to Pioli, and if the Savage mentioned earlier is Phil, then screw that too. Those ideas sound like a Casserly part deux to me.

Yesterday
12-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Eric DeCosta

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

Eliot Wolf

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/eliot-wolf/554e5cf2-a949-4cb5-8d85-11e979ac48b3

Contrary to popular belief Pioli did not pick most of Kansas City's top players.

Both look fantastic. I'd prefer Wolf - his resume/age is quite impressive. To me, I love the fact that he is young - league is changing, and i'm sick and tired of having good ole boys run our squad.

amazing80
12-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Call me crazy, but none of those guys are any different than Smith. Hit on a few guys, missed on some, made good contracts, over paid on some.....I think Smith is fine....new coaches with new philosophies will chance the type of talent we bring in, especially via the draft since coaches get a large say in player movement (in the draft).

dc_txtech
12-01-2013, 01:03 PM
He'll no to Pioli, and if the Savage mentioned earlier is Phil, then screw that too. Those ideas sound like a Casserly part deux to me.

I assumed he was referring to Randy not Phil.

TheMatrix31
12-01-2013, 01:18 PM

2slik4u
12-01-2013, 01:32 PM
DeCosta
Savage

I want the dude who has been learning under Ozzie Newsome for the past 17 years. I think that's DeCosta?

Can't remember his name.

Aaron
12-01-2013, 01:35 PM
You give a good QB time you are done

Aaron
12-01-2013, 01:40 PM
You give a good QB time you are done

Whoops. Wrong thread. My bad

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I want the dude who has been learning under Ozzie Newsome for the past 17 years. I think that's DeCosta?

Can't remember his name.

It is DeCosta. A year ago he signed a 10 year deal paying him as a GM and he has turned down multiple opportunities to leave already. It's not impossible but the odds are minimal.

2slik4u
12-01-2013, 01:58 PM
It is DeCosta. A year ago he signed a 10 year deal paying him as a GM and he has turned down multiple opportunities to leave already. It's not impossible but the odds are minimal.

One could say he was waiting for the perfect opportunity to make the leap to GM and the other offers just weren't it. I'd like to think the Texans origination is a coveted position for any hopeful GM or HC. Great owner. Loyal fans. No state taxes. Young talent. High draft pick. Good shape as far as salary cap goes.

We have a lot of things going for us, just need good leadership and coaching.

Ol' Bob could throw some decent scratch to entice DeCosta to come to Houston. Also, say what you want about Indianapolis and Andrew Luck but this division is up for grabs next season. I don't think Indy is head and shoulders above Houston or Tennessee.

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Yeah, fans can sometimes be a little negative when their team goes 2-14... They should be liking him a little more this year.

His problem in KC was his head coaching hires not player personnel decisions... Other than the giant Matt Cassel mistake!

Texian
12-01-2013, 09:14 PM

I believe his 2 offers were less authority and responsibilities he would have with Baltimore. So why leave? If the right opportunity and $$$ knocked he might leave considering Ozzie is only 57.

And if DeCosta is locked in, Eliot Wolf should also be on any future GM list to interview.

TexansFight
12-01-2013, 10:30 PM

Hell no to Pioli. He was horrible in KC. If Bob McNair truly cared about winning, he'd have already fired the clown we have and hired Eric DeCosta. He needs to be the guy we get.

BullNation4Life
12-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I want to give Aaron Glenn a shot. Personal Scout for the Jets and former Texan...

vupac1
12-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I want to give Aaron Glenn a shot. Personal Scout for the Jets and former Texan...

Yeah, because handing out jobs to our old buddies has really worked out well for us!

Norg
12-01-2013, 11:10 PM
anybody the Pats or steelers or Greenbay has used LOL

acal21
12-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Can someone explain to me what the big deal is and why you would want to replace Rick Smith?

SchaubApologist
12-01-2013, 11:15 PM

clown post bro

:clown:

SchaubApologist
12-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Can someone explain to me what the big deal is and why you would want to replace Rick Smith?

my biggest problem with rick is his handling of the salary cap.

we have many toxic contracts on the books, and we will probably have close to 20-30mil of 'dead' money counting against the cap next season.

his greatest blunder is handing matt schaub his contract extension. he literally got into a bidding war with himself.

acal21
12-01-2013, 11:26 PM

we have many toxic contracts on the books, and we will probably have close to 20-30mil of 'dead' money counting against the cap next season.

his greatest blunder is handing matt schaub his contract extension. he literally got into a bidding war with himself.

Do you have a link with our cap situation?

I didn't see this kinda season coming for Schaub and originally i thought we were gonna save some getting his contract done early

Norg
12-02-2013, 05:57 AM

him and kubes are like a combo u might has well do a clean Reset

and its not like his Draft picks/Free agency and Cap manage plan have been all stellar

amazing80
12-02-2013, 07:01 AM

This is the problem I have with people complaining about Smith, you have NO IDEA wtf you're talking about

Everything you just said is completely FALSE, nothing in your post is fact. We're all now dumber for have listened to you. I award you NO POINTS and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. White
12-02-2013, 08:24 AM
This is the problem I have with people complaining about Smith, you have NO IDEA wtf you're talking about

Everything you just said is completely FALSE, nothing in your post is fact. We're all now dumber for have listened to you. I award you NO POINTS and may God have mercy on your soul.

Really? That's some strong language there, so you must really be convinced.

Please enlighten us on what was wrong in that post and back it up with links. Otherwise, you're talking about your own post.

Looking forward to learning something here.

BullNation4Life
12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
clown post bro

:clown:

WTF, how is that a clown post. He is grooming to be a GM.

Guess it was a clown move by Baltimore to make Ozzie Newsome a GM as well...

How did that "clown move" work out for them?

Correct me if I am wrong, didn't he play for the Browns/Ravens?

Hmmm?

BullNation4Life
12-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah, because handing out jobs to our old buddies has really worked out well for us!

No, handing out jobs to Kubiak's old buddies didn't work out for them. Glenn is actually grooming to be a GM and has nothing to do with Kubiak

SchaubApologist
12-02-2013, 01:03 PM
WTF, how is that a clown post. He is grooming to be a GM.

Guess it was a clown move by Baltimore to make Ozzie Newsome a GM as well...

How did that "clown move" work out for them?

Correct me if I am wrong, didn't he play for the Browns/Ravens?

Hmmm?

lol, well Glenn does have GM experience with the Houston Stallions of the Texas Lone Star Football League, an indoor league comprising exclusively teams from Texas.

Glenn is just a personnel scout for the Jets. You don't jump from scout to GM.

:mcnugget:

dream_team
12-02-2013, 02:25 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I have no qualms with Rick and have no problems with sticking with him.

Every GM is going to miss on some draft picks, and every GM (of a good team) are going to have to make tough cuts due to the salary cap.

I think there's enough talent on the squad to win a superbowl, so Rick did a fine job to me.

If you think Rick sucks as a GM, and the Texans coaching staff sucks, then I guess you're not surprised by the 2-10 record.

SportsArsenal
12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
You have to at least make a call on Nick Caserio

https://lh5.ggpht.com/2bW9kd28gTICc7tVwdTvjzI6FZ0hh1K7seNbUTrbkESOVoAz6V YGd3eMZsBKjlonRBpe61I=s128

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-Today---Nick-Caserio-in-Indy/9e595d1d-9389-4e3c-885b-8f1c9d317658

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Caserio

This guy could be a coach or front office executive. Some people think he is hanging around to be Belicek's replacement. The Colts tried to interview him before but after the Kraft family got to him he denied the interview.

Rumor is the Dolphins are going to make a run at him and there is a good read about him on BleacherReport.com

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1861868-spotlight-two-potential-gm-candidates-for-the-miami-dolphins

Playoffs
12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
...If Bob McNair truly cared about winning, he'd have already fired the clown we have and hired Eric DeCosta. He needs to be the guy we get.

DeCosta will not leave Baltimore: (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/01/taunton-decosta-driving-from-shadows-for-ravens/awjki2v5nvaJ0404NeZV5L/story.html)
NEW ORLEANS — Eric DeCosta could have his own NFL kingdom by now. Any one of them. His choice.

Going on three offseasons now, NFL owners have requested permission to interview the Ravens’ assistant general manager to run the football side of their franchises.

Each time he has said no. DeCosta, 41, is content to be general-manager-in-waiting of the Ravens behind Ozzie Newsome, who, at 56, said he has no plans to retire.

“It would probably benefit [DeCosta] to be here and be a part of a Super Bowl than to be out there struggling with some 3-13 team, you know?” Newsome said. “You don’t keep jobs very long. At some point I am going to walk away and he’ll have this and everything will already be in place for him. That transition is going to be seamless, but it will be good for him.”

Many in DeCosta’s position would not make the same choice with millions being thrown at him. But those that know DeCosta best back home in the blue-collar down of Taunton aren’t surprised.

‘At some point I am going to walk away and he’ll have this and everything will already be in place for him.’

“There’s two things you need to know about Eric DeCosta,” said John Monteiro of Dighton, who met DeCosta in middle school. “He’s extremely hard working and he’s extremely loyal.

“At my job, a lot of people follow him and they ask me all the time, ‘Is he going to leave?’ No way. He’ll never leave. He’s not going anywhere. He’s loyal to that team, they gave him his first big shot. I know how he is.”

HOU-TEX
12-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I have no qualms with Rick and have no problems with sticking with him.

Every GM is going to miss on some draft picks, and every GM (of a good team) are going to have to make tough cuts due to the salary cap.

I think there's enough talent on the squad to win a superbowl, so Rick did a fine job to me.

If you think Rick sucks as a GM, and the Texans coaching staff sucks, then I guess you're not surprised by the 2-10 record.

If I had to guess who McNair would hold onto for another year or two it'd be Smith. The fact he has 3 years left on his contract leans toward his favor too.

My main concern with keeping him would be his ability to scout/draft for schemes that aren't in line with Kubiak's and Shenanigans. That's all he's ever known

Texian
12-02-2013, 03:19 PM
The fact he has 3 years left on his contract leans toward his favor too.

Besides the fact the job has been performed unsatisfactorily for the previous 7 seasons is not a reason to keep someone, the fact that 3 years remain on the contract is? Fans still confusing their net worth with Bob McNair's net worth. $10 million to you is a $1000 to Bob McNair.

infantrycak
12-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Besides the fact the job has been performed unsatisfactorily for the previous 7 seasons is not a reason to keep someone, the fact that 3 years remain on the contract is? Fans still confusing their net worth with Bob McNair's net worth. $10 million to you is a $1000 to Bob McNair.

It isn't confusing anything and it is totally realistic to think it will be a consideration in any owner's mind. Not a sole consideration but a factor.

dream_team
12-02-2013, 03:22 PM
If I had to guess who McNair would hold onto for another year or two it'd be Smith. The fact he has 3 years left on his contract leans toward his favor too.

My main concern with keeping him would be his ability to scout/draft for schemes that aren't in line with Kubiak's and Shenanigans. That's all he's ever known

Valid point, but I'm willing to give him another shot with a new coaching regime.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Did I say it was the reason he'd keep him? No, I said it leans in his favor.

Texian
12-02-2013, 03:31 PM
It isn't confusing anything and it is totally realistic to think it will be a consideration in any owner's mind. Not a sole consideration but a factor.

Yes but the logic of rewarding failure with failure doesn't compute either. Well maybe with some, but not with winners. or as Jimmy Johnson would say, cut your mistakes immediately, don't let them linger.

Dutchrudder
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I think it is well known that Eric Decosta, the media's GM candidate darling, will not be leaving the Ravens any time soon. He's the heir apparent to Ozzie Newsome, and likely won't be going anywhere else. However, there are other guys available that have a good track record with their teams. I'd be happy with:

Brian Gutekunst - Green Bay Packers Director of College Scouting. Been with the Packers for 15 years, and has years of scouting experience under his belt. He has only been director of scouting for a year though, so he might still be a little green for the job. However, the Packers have an exceptional track record of drafting excellent white players, so he could easily be a guy Bob McNair would like.

Omar Khan - Steelers VP of Football Admin. Been with the Steelers for about 12 years now, and has been an integral part of the organization with Cowher and Tomlin. 3 Super Bowl appearances, lots of great drafts over the years, and the Steelers are a model organization. Bonus, he kind of looks like Lex Luthor.

Tom Gamble - Currently with the Eagles as the assistant to the GM Roseman. He was with the 49ers for years, and was in the same position as director of player personnel. He has a good history, and has been interviewed for GM positions before, but hasn't gotten one for whatever reason. If he doesn't think Roseman will be retiring soon, maybe he would be interested in the Texans GM position.

Texian
12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
for whatever reason.

I have always thought of the "for whatever reason" as a red flag. There usually is a reason that after several interviews no job is offered.

I do like Eliot Wolf as Packer pick and much more than Gesundheit (bless you) choice. I have come to notice that people who begin honing their skills as a child are usually much more proficient and knowledgeable than people who are much older. Eliot did receive his tutelage from his father, Ron Wolf, one of the most respected and successful GMs in the NFL. Eliot was in the Packer NFL Draft War Room when was ten and hasn't missed a draft in 21 years.

Dutchrudder
12-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I have always thought of the "for whatever reason" as a red flag. There usually is a reason that after several interviews no job is offered.

Or it could be that he was asking for too much money to go work in a place like San Diego, who is notoriously cheap.

Or it could be that he was holding out for a specific job, such as Philly, where he started his career. He also loves the city.

Or it could be that he was very happy with the 49ers organization, so he didn't feel the need to lower his asking price and considerations to take a job. In the New York Jets GM position that he interviewed for, he would have been forced to keep Rex Ryan, which he might not have agreed with.

Or you could sit here and take one little comment out of context and expand upon it to sour towards a guy who would likely make a great GM candidate.

Texian
12-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Or you could sit here and take one little comment out of context and expand upon it to sour towards a guy who would likely make a great GM candidate.

I'll just stick with my red flag theory that a guy who interviews a handful of times and never gets the job usually doesn't interview well and there is a generally a reason why. My red flag caution also applies to Mike Zimmer.

acal21
12-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I'll just stick with my red flag theory that a guy who interviews a handful of times and never gets the job usually doesn't interview well and there is a generally a reason why. My red flag caution also applies to Mike Zimmer.

I don't believe that at all, you have to interview guys even if you already have the guy you want picked out... its just the way it works

acal21
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Im good with Rick Smith for now, and this offseason I'm not even gonna judge him off his free agent pick ups or draft picks... its about what coach he brings in to replace Kubiak, and he better be replacing him

tvaughan
12-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Personally, I don't want anything to do with the Patriots coaching or management tree.

They are incredibly arrogant and don't seem to play well with others when Darth Vader isn't around to keep them in line.

Texian
12-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't believe that at all, you have to interview guys even if you already have the guy you want picked out... its just the way it works

You have to interview a minority that is the only mandatory. As for non minority, if they keep getting called for interviews but no cigar, there is a fly in the ointment.

Personally, I don't want anything to do with the Patriots coaching or management tree.

They are incredibly arrogant and don't seem to play well with others when Darth Vader isn't around to keep them in line.

I don't know about arrogance and Darth Vader but the Belichick tree performances have been abysmal.

Texian
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Not a GM replacement, but Seattle's OC, Darrell Bevell and DC Dan Quinn wold be #3 and #4 on my HC search right behind #1 David Shaw and #2 Jimbo Fisher.

Tolar's Ghost
12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Watching tonight's game, I'd make Bevell Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Smith won't be fired. So hopefully he'll do his homework and advise McNair wisely. Yes, I know, a big if.

Texian
12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Watching tonight's game, I'd make Bevell Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Smith won't be fired. So hopefully he'll do his homework and advise McNair wisely. Yes, I know, a big if.

If Bevell became Texans HC I could see him drafting Manziel. It was Bevell who fought to draft Wilson and Bevell who made decision to start Wilson (per Pete). The most comparable QB to Wilson is Manziel. Manziel seems to fit Bevell's MO.

Smith won't be fired...I think Bob McNair is smarter than that.

TexansFight
12-02-2013, 11:44 PM
DeCosta will not leave Baltimore: (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/01/taunton-decosta-driving-from-shadows-for-ravens/awjki2v5nvaJ0404NeZV5L/story.html)

The Texans GM job is one of he premiere jobs in the NFL. You have a good owner, large market, tons of cash, attractive city for free agents and a hungry fan base that will adore him and ensure long time job security if he gets us to 1 Super Bowl.

We have a well intentioned owner who is trying to build a first class organization but who is misguided how to get there. He is no fat sleaze ball like Bud Adams was famously described by a writer. DeCosta was offered jobs with crap teams like Jacksonville. Open the bank vault and he'll come. If not him, we could get virtually anyone else who merits it.

houstonhurricane
12-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Smith has not done anything to warrant keeping his job; however, his contract will keep him around here for at least another year or two...