PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here actually WANT the Texans to win this Sunday?

AndyWin
11-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I mean... sure I want to see the young guys play well and show some growth, but is it bad that I'd rather us lose and maintain a solid draft pick?

It'd be pretty typical for this team to win a couple games and finish the season a pointless 6-10

HOU-TEX
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Always want to win. Especially against these yankee schmucks

ChampionTexan
11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes I always want to see them win, and I think the draft pick thing is overrated.

Two examples:

If the Texans had finished behind (ahead of?) the Lions in 2002, there is every possibility we would have ended up with Charles Rogers instead of AJ.

If the Texans had lost another game in 2010, we may have ended up with someone other than JJ in that draft.

Granted, I'm sure you can point out some instances where it worked the other way around, but that's the point - who knows how it's going to work with any specific draft, so why hope to lose?

And nothing personal, while I wish you luck in your suicide pool, if your pick is the Texans to lose - I'll pull against you (as unlikely as that may be).

gwallaia
11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Always try to win. Losing never never never pays off.

AndyWin
11-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Yes I always want to see them win, and I think the draft pick thing is overrated.

Two examples:

If the Texans had finished behind (ahead of?) the Lions in 2002, there is every possibility we would have ended up with Charles Rogers instead of AJ.

If the Texans had lost another game in 2010, we may have ended up with someone other than JJ in that draft.

Granted, I'm sure you can point out some instances where it worked the other way around, but that's the point - who knows how it's going to work with any specific draft, so why hope to lose?

And nothing personal, while I wish you luck in your suicide pool, if your pick is the Texans to lose - I'll pull against you (as unlikely as that may be).

If given the option of finishing 2-14 or 5-11... what's the difference? Draft position.

Also, I've already determined Texans will win this game and screw me and everyone else out of their survivor pools. It would be classic Texans to pull this one off.

Hervoyel
11-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Always want a win. Always sit down in front of the TV or on those rare instances when I go to the games in my seat expecting to see a win.

If you don't want your team to win the game what's the point of it all really? I mean, you can understand that there will be "positives" associated with a loss but that doesn't mean that winning a game is a bad thing. Winning is always a good thing. Always.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM

Sure looks like it's paying off for the Colts right now..

But yeah, I can't root for a loss either, but I do expect them to lose. If you can't even beat the Jags at home, I certainly don't expect this team to beat the Patriots and don't expect them to win at all this season. I can't root for a loss, I just expect it to happen. Looking back on the first two games of the season.. we're lucky we even have any wins this year. So people who are rooting for losses.. why?, you don't even have to root for a loss, just let it happen.. it's what the Texans do best.

ChampionTexan
11-27-2013, 10:34 AM
If given the option of finishing 2-14 or 5-11... what's the difference? Draft position.

See previous post.

Also, I've already determined Texans will win this game and screw me and everyone else out of their survivor pools. It would be classic Texans to pull this one off.

Everyone? I've never heard of a survivor pool where if everyone picks wrong, the person running the thing just keeps all the cash.

Thorn
11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah, want a win. Always. I might laugh at the ineptness of the stupid Texans when they are losing like they are, but that doesn't take away from my desire to see them win.

Exascor
11-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Always want a win. Always sit down in front of the TV or on those rare instances when I go to the games in my seat expecting to see a win.

If you don't want your team to win the game what's the point of it all really? I mean, you can understand that there will be "positives" associated with a loss but that doesn't mean that winning a game is a bad thing. Winning is always a good thing. Always.I agree with the try to win stuff but...with the team out of the playoff picture I am apathetic now. Win? Hooray! Lose? Yay! Bring on the offseason please.

Mr. White
11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
If you don't want your team to win the game what's the point of it all really? I mean, you can understand that there will be "positives" associated with a loss but that doesn't mean that winning a game is a bad thing. Winning is always a good thing. Always.

This.

When I start rooting for 1st overall draft pick, I could care less about watching the game. It might be on, but I'm totally apathetic about it (kind of like I was last weekend.)

I think a win over the Patriots this Sunday would be a hell of a lot more compelling than another sorry effort and another L on the record.

AndyWin
11-27-2013, 10:42 AM
This.

When I start rooting for 1st overall draft pick, I could care less about watching the game. It might be on, but I'm totally apathetic about it (kind of like I was last weekend.)

I think a win over the Patriots this Sunday would be a hell of a lot more compelling than another sorry effort and another L on the record.

What about a tough, hard fought loss? :ahhaha:

HJam72
11-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Missed field goal in OT?

AndyWin
11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Missed field goal in OT?

It'll be 4th and 5 with 12 seconds left down 3 in OT.

Kubiak will send Bullock out there and he'll make a 56 yarder for the tie. Everyone loses

Mr. White
11-27-2013, 10:50 AM

Seen plenty of those those with the current regime. I think those kind of results are why Kubiak got to stay after 2010.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2013, 10:51 AM
There is one good thing to come out of last week's loss... It got Kubiak off of his lifetime .500 record and he finally is what he's always been and will go out as.. a losing head coach.

DBCooper
11-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Missed field goal in OT?

Lol.

I was thinking a pick 6.

TheIronDuke
11-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Prepare thy anus for Matrix, OP, he will have something to say to you about this for sure.

Double Barrel
11-27-2013, 11:45 AM
My default setting is to always want my team to win, no matter the circumstances.

That being said, I won't be upset if they lose. I'm kinda' numb right now in a very apathetic way. Always a Texans fan, but no way can I bother getting upset at this point. It is what it is, and acceptance of the situation is the only logical course of action for me.

Honoring Earl 34
11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
My default setting is to always want my team to win, no matter the circumstances.

That being said, I won't be upset if they lose. I'm kinda' numb right now in a very apathetic way. Always a Texans fan, but no way can I bother getting upset at this point. It is what it is, and acceptance of the situation is the only logical course of action for me.

I think beating the Patriots would be typical Texans . They can't touch them when it's money time but they can beat them when it doesn't count .

Thorn
11-27-2013, 11:57 AM
I think beating the Patriots would be typical Texans . They can't touch them when it's money time but they can beat them when it doesn't count .

I really don't think the Patriots will allow this to happen. You might look for a win or two to come from our three divisional games left to play, but we aren't winning against either New England or Denver. Not happening.

Runner
11-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Are the Texans mathematically eliminated yet? This game might still count!

TejasTom
11-27-2013, 12:12 PM

This morning I heard the only team in the NFL that is mathematically eliminated is Atlanta.

Playoffs
11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Does anyone here actually WANT the Texans to win this Sunday?I know someone who doesn't want the Texans to win...:kitten:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103191

Of course I'd love to put an L on the Patriots. But I'm not holding my breath.

AndyWin
11-27-2013, 01:29 PM
:fingergun:

Mr. White
11-27-2013, 01:48 PM
There is one good thing to come out of last week's loss... It got Kubiak off of his lifetime .500 record and he finally is what he's always been and will go out as.. a losing head coach.

He's already there. 61-62 as of last week.

TheIronDuke
11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
He's already there. 61-62 as of last week.

That's what he said.

badboy
11-27-2013, 02:08 PM
I mean... sure I want to see the young guys play well and show some growth, but is it bad that I'd rather us lose and maintain a solid draft pick?

It'd be pretty typical for this team to win a couple games and finish the season a pointless 6-10

AndyLose, I just don't want to lose at anything; too dang competitive. Can I handle losing, well sorta. I have gone from being a pessimist most of my life to being an overwhelming optimist trying to build those up that come into my life. Even though I have never been a very good athlete, I always tried and you could tell by the blood, scabs and scars. I always wanted to be the one that had the bat, bowling ball, football or whatever in my hands when it was the last effort, regardless of the sport. In Marine boot camp, it really pissed me off that the drill instructors always screamed for "one more". I always gave it my best. I never "settle" for anything in life.

As a football fan, it was never about the win for my team but about the play. Still, if you aren't keeping score go start the grill and I'll take your place. As a mocker, I always look for the highest draft pick, but I want 6-10 rather than 2-14.

TheMatrix31
11-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Yes. Because I'm a Texans fan. If you want the team to lose any game, let alone one against the Patriots, you can get the **** out of here.

Thorn
11-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes. Because I'm a Texans fan. If you want the team to lose any game, let alone one against the Patriots, you can get the **** out of here.

I think Kubiak is gone no matter what happens now. No point in wishing further pain on the players.

ArlingtonTexan
11-27-2013, 02:46 PM

The last wild card has clusterbleep of 5 and6 teams. With a lot of winning and bunches of teams messing on themselves, the texans are about in good a shape a 2 and 9 team can be for the playsoffs...not even kidding

dream_team
11-27-2013, 03:07 PM
The last wild card has clusterbleep of 5 and6 teams. With a lot of winning and bunches of teams messing on themselves, the texans are about in good a shape a 2 and 9 team can be for the playsoffs...not even kidding

Exactly. May have been the easiest season in a long time to make playoffs, and the Texans are finding ways to even screw this up.

dream_team
11-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Just win! I always root for my teams to win. As you can see, losing is contagious, and I don't want to be part of a franchise that makes losing acceptable.

Plus, like others have said, the whole draft pick thing is overrated. In 2009, we may have gotten Aaron Curry instead of Cushibg with a higher pick. In 2010, Ryan Mathews instead of KJ. In 2011, Aldon Smith instead of JJ Watt. Higher pick doesn't always mean a better player.

AMartin56
11-27-2013, 03:18 PM
As long as Kubiak and his staff are fired at the end of the season I'm all for as many meaningless wins as they can get. But if a win means he might come back than we MUST lose.

Having said that I'll also admit that I would take pleasure in his career record being below .500 when he is fired considering my low opinion of him as a head coach.

HJam72
11-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Why would we want to lose our Superbowl? :koolaid:

kiwitexansfan
11-27-2013, 04:40 PM
I want them to win, hope they lose.

Either way we win.

Runner
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM

Jags are in a touch better shape - they own the tiebreaker. :)

htownfan32
11-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes. While I (and the other draftniks here know it pretty well now) am on the Teddy Bridgewater train, I always want us to win. I'll take Ws over draft pick tanking. I hate tanking.

Plus beating New England is just plain old fun.

Double Barrel
11-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Why would we want to lose our Superbowl? :koolaid:

lol! I see what you did there. :clap:

clutch
11-27-2013, 06:11 PM
No..please lose..only game I want to see them win is the broncos game..that would be sweet..3-13 please...

Rey
11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I want them do so whatever they are going to do. If they win, it's be nice to actually win...if they lose, we'd be that much closer to the top pick.

Texecutioner
11-27-2013, 08:27 PM

Tell that to the Colts and the Seahawks.

Tolar's Ghost
11-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Absolutely want them to win. Especially against Belicheat & Co.

Having the first draft pick, second pick, third pick, etc., guarantees nothing. See Leaf, Ryan; Russell, JaMarcus; and Rogers, Charles.

Even with a win or two in the next few weeks, they'll still have a pick that's plenty high (well, not in that way).

Norg
11-27-2013, 10:39 PM
I hate boston sports teams they always WIN and Iam jealous of the Patriots

so if there is one team I wanna beat its the PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!:koolaid:

steelbtexan
11-27-2013, 11:53 PM
I hate losing

MEGA SWATT
11-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Sure looks like it's paying off for the Colts right now..

Yep

These threads are so silly. Rooting for or against a team has zero effect on the outcome of the game. So what does it matter if u root for or against them?

Granted fans who boo and are loud at home on offense could have some impact on the game, but it is negligible.

To me it's a win-win as beating the hated pats would be awesome. However, a loss will only improve our draft positioning

TheMatrix31
11-28-2013, 03:22 AM
If you root for losses, you don't get to celebrate wins.

HJam72
11-28-2013, 03:31 AM
If you root for wins, you don't get a say in the pick. :gamer:

:jk:

TheMatrix31
11-28-2013, 03:34 AM
I couldn't care less where we pick. If we have good management and scouting, we'll find someone good no matter where we pick. If we don't, then it doesn't matter if we have the first five picks in a row.

I don't watch seasons for drafts. I watch seasons for wins. I ****ing hate the Patriots (and all Boston sports) with an unmitigated, relentless passion and I'd love it if we beat them by 50 on Sunday.

HJam72
11-28-2013, 03:36 AM
I couldn't care less where we pick. If we have good management and scouting, we'll find someone good no matter where we pick. If we don't, then it doesn't matter if we have the first five picks in a row.

I don't watch seasons for drafts. I watch seasons for wins. I ****ing hate the Patriots (and all Boston sports) with an unmitigated, relentless passion and I'd love it if we beat them by 50 on Sunday.

That would be nice, yes. I'm just at the point where I'm not exactly worried about it. :toropalm:

KA4Texan
11-28-2013, 04:59 AM
Yes, I always want my Texans to win. However with the season in the toilet I just don't get as upset over a loss.

I can see the good that will come of the loses, but I can't actually root for the loss. Its not guarantied to pay off, even if we get the #1 pick. Need I remind anyone where our first #8 was drafted? Number one picks DO bust.

Sucking for Luck paid off for the Colts, but you have to remember. They aren't cursed.

gtexan02
11-28-2013, 05:47 AM
If another loss makes Kubiak more likely to get canned so be it.
If we win out what's to say McNair doesn't say "well he did finish strong..."

I could care less about number 1 pick v number 8 pick but I can't handle another season of Kubiak and schaub. If we finish 7-9 and just miss the last wildcats spot (It could happen) or the division even (colts have been trounced recently) who knows what we see next season

A top 10 pick plus a new coaching regime should have us back in the playoffs next year. A few meaningless wins with zero pressure at the close of this season could cement us to more suffering

Txn_in_Oki
11-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Of course I want them to win. The chance of it happening is extremely small, but I want them to win. Although, if they do win, it will aggravate me to no end that they could beat the Pats and not the Jags. Winning this game will just show that they are extreme underachievers who have wasted a lot of peoples time and money this season.

Tolar's Ghost
11-28-2013, 10:22 AM

Well-said. Post of the day!

dream_team
11-28-2013, 10:23 AM
A top 10 pick plus a new coaching regime should have us back in the playoffs next year. A few meaningless wins with zero pressure at the close of this season could cement us to more suffering

How can you be so sure of this?

Carr Bombed
11-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Yes, I always want my Texans to win. However with the season in the toilet I just don't get as upset over a loss.

I can see the good that will come of the loses, but I can't actually root for the loss. Its not guarantied to pay off, even if we get the #1 pick. Need I remind anyone where our first #8 was drafted? Number one picks DO bust.

Sucking for Luck paid off for the Colts, but you have to remember. They aren't cursed.

We aren't cursed either as curses do not exist.

But to address some of the criticism of "fans rooting for losses" or people criticizing people's level of commitment regarding this team.

There is no "ultimate fan" on this board.. we're all fans here and people's level of fandom should not be questioned here. Everybody who even takes the time to post on this board is already more committed than your average fan as your average fan doesn't post on message boards discussing their team.

People who are rooting for losses are only looking towards a end game that benefits their team (so they're still rooting for their team) and while you aren't guaranteed success with a better pick, nobody can deny that a higher pick does not hold more value.. it's the entire reason why you have to give up more picks and value the higher you try to trade up in a draft.

People who are rooting for losses right now are still fans.. they are just apathetic fans who have accepted that this season is over and have already moved on to offseason mode and are thinking about the draft,

Carr Bombed
11-28-2013, 01:17 PM

I would love it too, but no way shape or form is it happening. There's a greater chance that Saint Nick will slide his jolly fat behind down my chimney this Christmas than there is the chance that the Texans beat the Pats.. or beat them by 50 points.

And there isn't much reason to watch this team other than knowing the draft position this team will have as "winning" at this point is completely irrelevant. The coach will be fired and there will be complete overhaul to the team regardless if they win every game from here on out. The only thing "winning" can have a effect on or change the path that this team is set on is the position this team is going to draft at.

Texecutioner
11-28-2013, 10:28 PM
I would love it too, but no way shape or form is it happening. There's a greater chance that Saint Nick will slide his jolly fat behind down my chimney this Christmas than there is the chance that the Texans beat the Pats.. or beat them by 50 points.

And there isn't much reason to watch this team other than knowing the draft position this team will have as "winning" at this point is completely irrelevant. The coach will be fired and there will be complete overhaul to the team regardless if they win every game from here on out. The only thing "winning" can have a effect on or change the path that this team is set on is the position this team is going to draft at.

What makes you so sure that McNair will let go of Kubiak after the season? Considering his history, I Don't think its a lock.

JCTexan
11-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Absolutely want them to win. Especially against Belicheat & Co.

^^^ This. I would absolutely love a win this Sunday. I hate the Patriots.

TEXANRED
11-29-2013, 12:23 AM
I am over this season now. If you can't beat the Jags you can't beat anybody. I am just waiting for 3:16pm December 29 to rid myself of this coaching staff and front office.

HTown2ATX
11-29-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm in the apathy crowd. Who cares at this point? I mean for serious?

Yay if they win I'll touch myself that we're 3 and whatever the hell :)

I don't root for losses but I won't really give a flying fuq should they do what I expect and lose.

Lucky
11-29-2013, 09:16 AM
I can't root for the Texans to lose while they're playing. But I doubt I get fired up if they do pull the upset. 9 consecutive losses have taken the wind from my sails. We should be concerned with playoff position. Not draft positioning. I'm just numb to everything but a new start.

Carr Bombed
11-29-2013, 02:25 PM
What makes you so sure that McNair will let go of Kubiak after the season? Considering his history, I Don't think its a lock.

Considering his history, I expect him to clean house. When the wheels fell off of Capers and he lost the team, he was fired at the end of the season. The wheels have fallen off of Kubiak and he's lost the team, so I expect him to be fired.

The Texans aren't going to win a bunch of games at the end of this season.. they're not going to fight for their coach and even if they did, I doubt it would even save his job. Kubiak will be fired this season.

TheMatrix31
11-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Just like our defense was historically bad in 2010 and we went out and got Wade, Joseph, Manning and drafted Watt.

AndyWin
12-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Expect a bump of this thread in about 15 hours when Randy Bullock nails a game winning 50 yard FG... :kubepalm:

steelbtexan
12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Texans win

Go Texans

HJam72
12-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Expect a bump of this thread in about 15 hours when Randy Bullock nails a game winning 50 yard FG... :kubepalm:
Note: need to pay Randy more to miss those. :)

Vance87
12-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Note: need to pay Randy more to miss those. :)

Do you pay him in snacks?

HJam72
12-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Do you pay him in snacks?

Whatever works.

b0ng
12-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Sure, why not? It's be pretty funny to read patfan schadenfreude after the game.

HJam72
12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Honestly, I will probably root for the win all the way until the last few minutes. If it is close, I'll be rooting for something to go wrong in those last few minutes. If we can start proving we are better than these last 9 games, great, but I don't want to see us just get lucky (or unlucky, whatever).

HouTx11
12-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Actually I would love to see this happen. What a great laugh that would be in so many different ways.

amazing80
12-01-2013, 11:13 AM
This is the first time I want to lose. Were 2-9 and winning is meaningless at this point, whats the point of going 7-9 and risking keeping Gary and co. when we can lose out, fire them all and get the best draft pick.....Im all in for losing out

dalemurphy
12-01-2013, 02:44 PM
In 2005, I rooted for losses...

I want a win here... We don't need 30 players to become a talented franchise. Draft position...eh. It is a nice consolation prize, but a win here would be awesome!

kiwitexansfan
12-01-2013, 03:04 PM
To be honest in the end I was hoping we'd lose.

I only care about draft position now.

AndyWin
While I'm happy to advance in my survivor league, I feel bad for the Texans players. They played their hearts out today :(

gafftop
This is the first time I want to lose. Were 2-9 and winning is meaningless at this point, whats the point of going 7-9 and risking keeping Gary and co. when we can lose out, fire them all and get the best draft pick.....Im all in for losing out

If it means we get rid of Smith also I am all for losing.

Tired of hearing he may not have made those decisions as an excuse for keeping him. It was his job to make those decisions. If he is nothing more than a yes man or is too inexperienced to make decisions or no one listens to him or he actually made the decision to bring in Reed, extend MS and Kubiak, WHATEVER he is not a GM with a good plan. We need a GM with a vision, not a yes man for the owner or head coach.

bOODRO87
12-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Tired of hearing he may not have made those decisions as an excuse for keeping him. It was his job to make those decisions. If he is nothing more than a yes man or is too inexperienced to make decisions or no one listens to him or he actually made the decision to bring in Reed, extend MS and Kubiak, WHATEVER he is not a GM with a good plan. We need a GM with a vision, not a yes man for the owner or head coach.

Heard that. I'm glad we lost. Just another step towards cleaning house and securing the top draft pick.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 03:13 PM

GMs don't set their authority. Owners do.

I don't care if Smith is fired or stays but your rant is misplaced.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Well now the Jags have won... So I'm in full on "rooting to lose" mode and that doesn't make me any less of a fan. This season is over and I don't care what anybody says, having a better position in the draft is better for your team, rooting to lose now is rooting to win later. Hell I don't even have to "root to lose", this team and coach will just do it all on their own.

Norg
12-01-2013, 03:23 PM
we need to trade away our 1st round pick and get whatever offer we can get LOL

amazing80
12-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I think the hate for Rick Smith is misplaced and the fact were 2-7 in games with 7 points PROVES we have the talent, we just don't have the coaching to get us over the hump.....Our team is talented. Sure we don't have pro bowlers at each position, but NO ONE does. Every team has a weakness. Our team is very well balanced. We could upgrade lots of positions, but again, every team can.

gafftop
12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
GMs don't set their authority. Owners do.

I don't care if Smith is fired or stays but your rant is misplaced.

A respected experienced successful GM will have more say in what happens and I don't think we would be in the position we are now in with say an Ozzie Newsome as GM. Oh yeah he was the one that didn't try to keep Ed Reed and we were the ones who signed him to stupid money.

I don't think McNair is another Jones.

I do care if Smith stays or goes.

bOODRO87
12-01-2013, 03:31 PM
I think the hate for Rick Smith is misplaced and the fact were 2-7 in games with 7 points PROVES we have the talent, we just don't have the coaching to get us over the hump.....Our team is talented. Sure we don't have pro bowlers at each position, but NO ONE does. Every team has a weakness. Our team is very well balanced. We could upgrade lots of positions, but again, every team can.

You make a good point. I see a lot of hate for Rick on here, but I don't get it the radical part of it. Sure, the guy could do better in rounds 3 and 4, but we have talent. Look how players like J. Jones, Holliday, and Chris Jones are doing on other teams. I think Ed Reed was mostly pushed by McNair. Kubiak and the people who he surrounds himself with are the problem.

CretorFrigg
12-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Fire Rick Smith. We have a few star players then scrubs at every other position. Aside from a few lucky hits in the draft (JJ Watt), Smith has completely failed. We need to start fresh, and I want Kubiak and Smith gone. They're a disease we've suffered through for 8 years, and it's been way too long.

myktek2
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
yes, I want them to win so I can get my free slushie!!!! It's been 10 weeks since I've had one, lol :)