PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bortles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Texian
11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Blake Bortles, QB, University of Central Florida, 6'4" 230 lbs, Junior

only recently talk of Bortles declaring for 2014 NFL Draft. If he does he will spring to 1st Rd consideration.

Blake Bortles' Game Winning Drive Vs. Louisville , beating Teddy Bridewater, in Louisville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHSYdNv2C4

This is the kind of QB you want to have the ball in his hands late in the 4th Q or the last possession.

You can watch UCF and Bortles Friday night vs South Florida on ESPN @ 7:00PM

and

UCF and Bortles vs SMU, Saturday, Dec 7th @ 11:00Am on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2116/

Texian
11-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks to whoever moved this to the right place. Sorry about that.

WolverineFan
11-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I really like Bortles but there have been many rumors that he will return for his senior year. He's currently rated as a late 2nd-early 3rd, which I think is a little low. If he went back for his senior year he could turn that into a sure fire 1st round grade.

If UCF ends up getting the BCS bid and he plays well in the bowl game he might decide to jump. I really like their RB Storm Johnson as well. He's also a junior.

Texian
11-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Following the coverage of the exciting come from behind Temple win, this story on NFL Draft Scout came out about Blake Bortles. Most draftniks follow NFL Draft Scout and why all of sudden Bortles has become newsworthy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24280625/nfl-draft-week-13-stock-report-dont-forget-bortles

aussie_texan
11-26-2013, 08:47 PM
watched a bit of game film and I'm certainly intrigued. ill definitely look out for him a bit more now

Texian
11-29-2013, 01:05 PM
OK Boys and Girls, this is a friendly reminder that Blake Bortles will be taking the Gridiron tonight (Friday Night) @ 7:00pm on ESPN. Tune in or set those DVRs. That is all! :)

Texian
11-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Bortles will also be on ESPN next Saturday vs SMU at 11:00am.

Texan4Ever
11-29-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm glad there are others that share the same love for Bortles that I have. He's not a finished product (not a single QB in this class is) but the poise and ability he shows under pressure and when the game is on the line is what makes me believe he is the BEST QB in this class should he choose to come out.

It bothers me that ESPN and other "draft experts" keep saying this is a deep QB class because the talent level sucks IMO. There is not a single QB available that can step up and lead an NFL team like Luck or RGIII did their rookie seasons.

And they barely mention Bortles name (which is good for us).

bah007
11-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm glad there are others that share the same love for Bortles that I have. He's not a finished product (not a single QB in this class is) but the poise and ability he shows under pressure and when the game is on the line is what makes me believe he is the BEST QB in this class should he choose to come out.

It bothers me that ESPN and other "draft experts" keep saying this is a deep QB class because the talent level sucks IMO. There is not a single QB available that can step up and lead an NFL team like Luck or RGIII did their rookie seasons.

And they barely mention Bortles name (which is good for us).

This is a deep QB class in the sense that there is potentially 8 or 9 guys that teams could fall in love with.

But I agree, this class lacks top tier talent and is severely overrated due to the need for QB talent for about half the teams in the league.

Texian
11-29-2013, 05:40 PM
This is a deep QB class in the sense that there is potentially 8 or 9 guys that teams could fall in love with.

But I agree, this class lacks top tier talent and is severely overrated due to the need for QB talent for about half the teams in the league.

I think you covered all your bases with that comment.

badboy
11-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I am tuning into ESPN but basketball game on now just beginning second half. Any idea what is going on?

Well I will watch Mariota play Oregon State 7:12 pm 17-7 Oregon. Mariota 6 of 7 107 yds 15.3. Oregon St held them to a three and now fixing to score.

Texian
11-29-2013, 08:33 PM
I am tuning into ESPN but basketball game on now just beginning second half. Any idea what is going on?

Well I will watch Mariota play Oregon State 7:12 pm 17-7 Oregon. Mariota 6 of 7 107 yds 15.3. Oregon St held them to a three and now fixing to score.

UCF game is now on ESPNews until after BB game.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-29-2013, 09:06 PM
UCF game is now on ESPNews until after BB game.

Just tuned in

Texian
11-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Just tuned in

Haven't missed much, UCF 3 possessions, Storm Johnson (2) fumbles, (1) FG, starting 4th possession now. Game now on ESPN

badboy
11-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Now on ESPN 206 on Direct TV and Bortles pass tipped for INT

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone else to watch for this game Texian?

Texian
11-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Anyone else to watch for this game Texian?

JJ Worton #9 a JR WR for UCF and EJ Dunston #95 DT, UCF (a day 2 or 3 pick)

South Fla DeDe Lattimore #34 a last day or UDFA ILB

badboy
11-29-2013, 09:45 PM
only one half but nothing to excite me. He seems to be "fluid" in the pocket and runs smoothly. Expected to see more against a 2-8 team.

Texian
11-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Bortles probably played his worst game this year. However true to form with ball in hand with 4 minutes left in the game, behind 16 - 20, Bortles leads team on game winning drive to win the conference championship and preserve a BCS Bowl game. With that said, earlier turnovers and poor team play lead me to think that Bortles along with Mariota and Hundley, all will return to school. UCF only has 8 seniors and 2014 offers a chance at the National Championship and a run at the Heisman. If Bortles has an All American game in the Sugar or Orange Bowl, then maybe he will declare but still doubtful.

badboy
11-30-2013, 01:38 PM
UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles completed 17 of 26 attempts for 219 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in a 23-20 win over USF.
Bortles had a couple of less than stellar quarters, and while both of his interceptions were tipped, the redshirt junior did fumble and take multiple sacks when attempting to buy time in the pocket. We love Bortles' style, and he plays like a poor man's Andrew Luck. We doubt he enter the 2014 NFL Draft, however.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/25735/brugler-keep-an-eye-on-baylor-s-ahmad-dixon

*These are headlines so go down to third paragraph.

aussie_texan
12-02-2013, 11:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhAOFVJV-U

he must have a ton of confidence!!!!

also the more tape i watch the more i am impressed.
I'm really tempted to do a mock with bortles as my QB but i think its too likely he returns next year. disappointing because all the QBs i like this year will probably not enter the 2014 draft :(

WolverineFan
12-03-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm really tempted to do a mock with bortles as my QB but i think its too likely he returns next year. disappointing because all the QBs i like this year will probably not enter the 2014 draft :(

Bortles still has a chance to rocket boost his stock with a great showing in the Sugar Bowl against an SEC team (ala Bridgewater last year). I think it's more likely that he returns though.

steelbtexan
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Which is why the Texans shouldn't reach for a QB.

Playoffs
12-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Todd McShay says Bortles is the #2 QB in this draft class. fwiw

bah007
12-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I like Bortles but it's been proven that McShay doesn't know anything. He's a hack.

Texian
12-04-2013, 02:16 PM

I like Bortles but it's been proven that McShay doesn't know anything. He's a hack.

McShay started the season saying Stephen Morris was the Top QB in 2013.

bah007 is right, McShay is hack who studied journalism and is now masquerading very poorly as college scout.

If Bortles were to declare I would not be surprised if he were the first QB off the board.

Pollardized
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Bortles still has a chance to rocket boost his stock with a great showing in the Sugar Bowl against an SEC team (ala Bridgewater last year). I think it's more likely that he returns though.

If he has a great bowl game against a quality opponent, his draft stock would be super high. Top 5 kinda high maybe. Next years draft COULD have Winston, Mariotta, Hundley, and others. Maybe a lot of teams picking in top 10 not needing a QB. Watching video of him, I am very impressed. I'm not so sure he returns another year if draft stock is top 5 quality.

Who does he remind you of?

Texian
12-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Last week I entertained the idea of driving to Dallas this Saturday to watch Mr. Bortles play SMU. Old Man Winter will be attending with his friend 20 degrees. So Plan B is now in order. A Bucket of KFC's Weekend 10 for $10, the Big Easy, the remote and ESPN are now the plan of the day.

Saturday, December 7, 11:00 AM (CT) on ESPN

EDIT: Dadgumit KFC 10 for $10 was over and out 11/24. (Deciding on Plan C)

Plan C: A huge pot of Chili Mac is in order for the games and the coming Arctic Blast.

WolverineFan
12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
If he has a great bowl game against a quality opponent, his draft stock would be super high. Top 5 kinda high maybe. Next years draft COULD have Winston, Mariotta, Hundley, and others. Maybe a lot of teams picking in top 10 not needing a QB. Watching video of him, I am very impressed. I'm not so sure he returns another year if draft stock is top 5 quality.

A more polished, but less athletic Ryan Tannehill.

steelbtexan
12-04-2013, 07:07 PM
A more polished, but less athletic Ryan Tannehill.

How would you describe his arm strength?

His movement skills/acuracy look fine to me.

WolverineFan
12-04-2013, 07:47 PM
How would you describe his arm strength?

His movement skills/acuracy look fine to me.

I think he has a good arm. He's not Matt Stafford, but his arm is certainly NFL quality. I've heard some people compare his arm to Luck because of his release, which is fine, but he doesn't have near the ball placement that Luck has.

He's athletic and throws great on the run too. He puts good touch on his deep ball, but can be inconsistent on his throw. I like his accuracy other than that.

Texian
12-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Blake Bortles, QB UCF, 6'4" 230

BIO - http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/blake_bortles_587127.html

STATS - http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/505719/blake-bortles

2013 Performance - http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Completion % = #10, .680
Passing Efficency = #7, 167.3
Passing Yards per Completion = #14, 14.3 yds

TD to INT Ratio = 3 to 1

Still has 1 game to play, Sat @ SMU

-against Jadevon Clowney and South Carolina 9/28: Eclipsed the 300-yard mark for the second time this season and threw for a career-high 358 yards while completing 25 passes with two touchdowns through the air

-In the win at Memphis, led UCF on a game-tying drive with 2:05 to go that lasted 15 plays and 80 yards

-Trailing 35-31 at Louisville, marched his team down the field on an 11-play, 75- yard drive that was capped off by a 2-yard touchdown pass to Jeff Godfrey with 23 seconds left

-At Temple 11/16: Bortles completed the day 27-for-38 for a career-high 403 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. With his 403 yards, Bortles jumped into fourth place on UCF's all-time passing yards list with 6,500. The 403 passing yards were the 10th most in a single game by a UCF quarterback. Bortles also added a season-high 62 rushing yards on 11 carries

Personal Note: has several games this year (4) (Memphis, Louisville, Temple, S Florida) where he delivered a 4th quarter game winning/tying score including last second TD to beat Teddy Bridgewater in Louisville. Negative, turnovers has fumbled the ball or been stripped of the ball several times while in the pocket. Has good pocket awareness

You have to be careful with some of McShay's hype, he may be directed/doing it to gen up interest in an ESPN upcoming televised game. It just so happens UCF plays Sat @ 11:00AM on ESPN. Makes you wonder, scratch your head as to why McShay is all of sudden on the band wagon.

aussie_texan
12-04-2013, 09:35 PM

http://fansided.com/2013/11/22/ucf-qb-blake-bortles-similarities-andrew-luck/

Andrew luck???

Texian
12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
"All indications are that the redshirt junior will fill out pre-draft paperwork and submit it to an NFL Draft Advisory Board to gauge his status. The advisory board, comprised of NFL talent evaluators, will give Bortles an idea of where he might be drafted should he declare."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-04/sports/os-ucf-blake-bortles-football-1205-20131204_1_ucf-qb-blake-bortles-ucf-coach-george-o-leary-draft-pool

Louisville wins in OT vs Cincinnati, that means UCF and Blake Bortles will be going to a BCS Bowl.

pbat488
12-05-2013, 11:39 PM
the only reason we need to draft him..

his girlfriend: http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/blake-bortles-girlfriend-lindsey-duke/211487

aussie_texan
12-05-2013, 11:50 PM
"All indications are that the redshirt junior will fill out pre-draft paperwork and submit it to an NFL Draft Advisory Board to gauge his status. The advisory board, comprised of NFL talent evaluators, will give Bortles an idea of where he might be drafted should he declare."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-04/sports/os-ucf-blake-bortles-football-1205-20131204_1_ucf-qb-blake-bortles-ucf-coach-george-o-leary-draft-pool

Louisville wins in OT vs Cincinnati, that means UCF and Blake Bortles will be going to a BCS Bowl.

mmm thats interesting i didn't think there was much chance of him coming out but this gives me a little bit of hope

Texian
12-07-2013, 11:29 AM
It's BORTLES Day! Again! However it's 23 degrees in Dallas so I'm not expecting much other than the COLD to be a factor. I will be watching to see how well he handles the cold and the football. Turnovers could be a result of the weather.

UCF VS SMU 11:00AM ESPN

Honoring Earl 34
12-07-2013, 11:32 AM
mmm thats interesting i didn't think there was much chance of him coming out but this gives me a little bit of hope
After looking at his girlfriend ... he ain't coming out ... wait ... you mean out of college , nevermind . :smiliepalm:

Texian
12-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Danny Kannel just said there are NFL teams that think that Bortles would be the #1 QB in this year's NFL Draft. Where have I heard that before? Not sure where Danny is getting his information?????

Blake
12-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Danny Kannel just said there are NFL teams that think that Bortles would be the #1 QB in this year's NFL Draft. Where have I heard that before? Not sure where Danny is getting his information?????

That just sounds insane. I cannot imagine a scenario where TB is not # 1. Nothing is 100% but this is about as close as it gets.

Texian
12-07-2013, 12:45 PM
That just sounds insane. I cannot imagine a scenario where TB is not # 1. Nothing is 100% but this is about as close as it gets.

and yet Blake Bortles beat Teddy Bridgewater in Louisville no less with a Game Winning Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHSYdNv2C4

and Blake is going to a BCS Bowl Game and Teddy is not.

Playoffs
12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
...there are NFL teams that think that Bortles would be the #1 QB in this year's NFL Draft. Where have I heard that before? Not sure where Danny is getting his information?????

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.

bah007
12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
and yet Blake Bortles beat Teddy Bridgewater in Louisville no less with a Game Winning Drive

Would you consider Dylan Thompson to be a better NFL prospect than Bortles? After all, South Carolina did beat UCF on their own field.

And didn't Teddy win a BCS game already?..

infantrycak
12-07-2013, 12:53 PM

You realize John Elway never went to a bowl game right? Teams go to bowls, not players. His team was 5-6 his last season. They had a losing record with him as QB.

Playoffs
12-07-2013, 12:54 PM
You realize John Elway never went to a bowl game right?

Yeah, but that was somehow Kubiak's fault. :kitten:

Texian
12-07-2013, 12:57 PM
You realize John Elway never went to a bowl game right? Teams go to bowls, not players. His team was 5-6 his last season. They had a losing record with him as QB.

I also understand (realize) that Teddy Bridgewater is no John Elway. The next 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope will be the first 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope,

beerlover
12-07-2013, 12:58 PM

must be taken in the context of team concept, meaning all that sounds good but really not all on Teddy, only so much one player can accomplish given tools supporting his. watching Bortles right now. great developmental QB prospect, reminds me of Flacco coming out of Delaware. Has the size/mobility, strong arm but still learning position. Maybe if Keenum was more established & Texans could confidently head into next season with new coach/case as starter bringing in a plus talent to develop like Bortles would work but that seems a bit of a luxury now given circumstances.

It's very difficult to grade a QB into a specific draft slot range given teams propensity to reach for position, but if I'm stacking a big board & he declares early, could certainly place him in that #15#20 top prospect range.

infantrycak
12-07-2013, 12:59 PM
I also understand (realize) that Teddy Bridgewater is no John Elway. The next 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope will be the first 30 yd pass Bridgewater throws on a rope,

Which makes your criticism on team success look even sillier.

Texian
12-07-2013, 01:02 PM
must be taken in the context of team concept,

I do understand the context of team concept. Blake Bortles took his team to Louisville Kentucky and beat Teddy Bridgewater and his team on their home field. And Bortles runs more like Andrew Luck than Joe Flacco.

Texian
12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Which makes your criticism on team success look even sillier.

silly me

beerlover
12-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I do understand the context of team concept. Blake Bortles took his team to Louisville Kentucky and beat Teddy Bridgewater and his team on their home field. And Bortles runs more like Andrew Luck than Joe Flacco.

Bortles is no Andrew Luck. silly rabbit.

mussop
12-07-2013, 01:22 PM

This is how you judge QB's?

Playoffs
12-07-2013, 01:27 PM

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/gallery/12-memorable-moments-from-past-presidential-debates/bentsen.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you're_no_Jack_Kennedy)
Bortles, you're no Andrew Luck.

Blake
12-07-2013, 01:28 PM

You sorta walked into that one.

I based my QB pick on...

1. Throwing motion (TB stands tall, release point seems close to his ear. Bortles looks like hes throwing a shot-put sometimes)

2. Completion Percentage with huge yardage. Both are good, but Teddy has been 68.5 and 70.2 in the past 2 years. A big indication to me that he is ready for the NFL.

3. Turnovers. Bortles almost has double the INT's that Bridgewater has.

Texian
12-07-2013, 01:54 PM
You sorta walked into that one.

I based my QB pick on...

1. Throwing motion (TB stands tall, release point seems close to his ear. Bortles looks like hes throwing a shot-put sometimes)

2. Completion Percentage with huge yardage. Both are good, but Teddy has been 68.5 and 70.2 in the past 2 years. A big indication to me that he is ready for the NFL.

3. Turnovers. Bortles almost has double the INT's that Bridgewater has.

Walked in to what? Bortles INTs 17, Bridgewater INTs 24

3 of Bortles INTs this year came against Penn St and South Carolina, Bridgewater he hasn't played against this level of play this year.

Texian
12-07-2013, 01:57 PM
This is how you judge QB's?

# of last possession, game winning drives, 4th quarter come backs, YES, exactly how I judge QBs. How they perform in these situations is a high priority in my evaluation.

Texian
12-07-2013, 02:00 PM

And if you think Bortles RUNS more like Flacco than Andrew Luck, welcome to the silly club. Key word is RUNS here people. And just like that, right on cue, Blake Bortles RUNS for a TD. :)

JCTexan
12-07-2013, 02:01 PM
If the Texans have Bortles as their #1 QB in the draft would anybody have a problem with taking him #1 overall?

Texian
12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
and just like that Bortles runs for another TD, 20yds this time.

Playoffs
12-07-2013, 02:24 PM
If the Texans have Bortles as their #1 QB in the draft would anybody have a problem with taking him #1 overall?

Possibly.

Jerry Jones supposedly had a 1st round grade on a player that the rest of the league saw as a 2nd/3rd rounder. So he threw away value in selecting that player in that slot, imo.

If the Texans prefer Bortles and the rest of the league has Bridgewater concensus 1/1, then a good GM would trade down and add a pick. Because there would be at least one team that highly covets Bridgewater.

My concern is more not who they take, but who's making the selection. If they hire a DC as a head coach, does Rick Smith have the chops to choose the right guy? I think I'd rather have Kubiak doing that, but that's not an option.

Blake
12-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Walked in to what? Bortles INTs 17, Bridgewater INTs 24

3 of Bortles INTs this year came against Penn St and South Carolina, Bridgewater he hasn't played against this level of play this year.

Walked into looking foolish earlier by basing your QB rankings on their one head to head matchup.

Bortles 7 INTS (2013)
Bridgewater 3 INTS (2013)

WolverineFan
12-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Walked into looking foolish earlier by basing your QB rankings on their one head to head matchup.

Bortles 7 INTS (2013)
Bridgewater 3 INTS (2013)

Just fyi, in that head-to-head matchup Bridgewater was 29/38 for 341 yards and 2 TD's. He also led a 4th quarter TD drive to take the lead with 3 minutes left. UCF scored to take the lead with 23 seconds left and won the game.

Blake
12-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Just fyi, in that head-to-head matchup Bridgewater was 29/38 for 341 yards and 2 TD's. He also led a 4th quarter TD drive to take the lead with 3 minutes left. UCF scored to take the lead with 23 seconds left and won the game.

Yeah that is exactly my point. I dont base QB rankings off which QB scored last. Especially since TB took the lead moments before.

mussop
12-07-2013, 03:37 PM
and just like that Bortles runs for another TD, 20yds this time.

They barely beat a horrible SMU team with a backup QB starting. By your standards that should mean Bortles will suck.

Texian
12-07-2013, 04:17 PM
They barely beat a horrible SMU team with a backup QB starting. By your standards that should mean Bortles will suck.

did you even watch the game or are you just being argumenative?

Playoffs
12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
2014 NFL Draft: Rallying UCF in cold, Blake Bortles shows 1st-round form (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24367603/nfl-draft-beating-cold-and-smu-blake-bortles-shows-first-round-form)

In guiding Central Florida to a 17-13 comeback win over SMU in frigid conditions, junior quarterback Blake Bortles provided evidence of his poise, toughness and ability to play well in the cold. These traits, along with awareness, accuracy, athleticism and size are key factors in why the junior quarterback is gaining traction as a potential first-round selection in the 2014 NFL draft.

The 6-foot-3, 230 pound Bortles was recruited as a tight end, and the size, strength and athleticism that initially led to this projection were on display in this contest as the junior showed off the functional mobility necessary for success in today's NFL.

While not an elite athlete, Bortles showed enough quickness and fluidity to run away from defenders when necessary. More importantly, he showed the vision and courage to step up in the pocket to exhaust his options before tucking it to run.

Bortles' thick, broad-shouldered frame has earned comparisons to everyone from NFL stars Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger to Tim Tebow. His build is a stark contrast to the slim frames of the other highly regarded underclassmen quarterbacks, most notably Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater (6-foot-3, 205), Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel (5-foot-11, 210) and even UCLA's Brett Hundley, who looks slimmer than his listed 6-foot-3, 222 pounds.

A year ago, the Buffalo Bills cited EJ Manuel's size and ability to play in the cold...

Texian
12-07-2013, 07:35 PM
2014 NFL Draft: Rallying UCF in cold, Blake Bortles shows 1st-round form (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24367603/nfl-draft-beating-cold-and-smu-blake-bortles-shows-first-round-form)

Rob Rang is one of my more trusted evaluators out there. He has been doing this for over 20 years. I have learn much from reading Rang and Rueter's reports over many years.

badboy
12-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Second game in a row I focused on Bortles only to be disappointed. He needs to return to school but with only having TB, Manziel, and Carr for top half of first he will come out. I could see him as a developmental guy to sit and learn but we need a starter at pick one. I rate Bridgewater well over Bortles.

Clarification: I expect Hundley to return.

mussop
12-07-2013, 09:39 PM
did you even watch the game or are you just being argumenative?

Yes I watched the game. Did you? Hey you're the one judges QB's this way not me. Just pointing out that that is a really really really STUPID way to determan the value of ANY player.

mussop
12-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Second game in a row I focused on Bortles only to be disappointed. He needs to return to school but with only having TB, Manziel, and Carr for top half of first he will come out. I could see him as a developmental guy to sit and learn but we need a starter at pick one. I rate Bridgewater well over Bortles.

Clarification: I expect Hundley to return.

I thought he looked really good in the second half. Especially considering the freezing weather.

badboy
12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I thought he looked really good in the second half. Especially considering the freezing weather.We could play Keenum first half and Bortles second half...

Texian
12-12-2013, 05:52 PM
YEEHAW.....WOOHOO

* A source close to the situation told me they believe its “70/30” at this point Blake Bortles/QB/Central Florida enters the draft.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=8603

aussie_texan
12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
YEEHAW.....WOOHOO

* A source close to the situation told me they believe its “70/30” at this point Blake Bortles/QB/Central Florida enters the draft.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=8603

wow honestly did not see this coming

bah007
12-13-2013, 09:39 AM
At this point, it pretty much seems like a slam dunk that Bortles will be taken in the top 20. I think he's either the 2nd or 3rd QB off the board.

If he waited til next year he is probably still the 2nd QB off the board because Winston is the likely #1 pick.

No reason not to come out.

It helps us if he does. It gives us another guy to evaluate for our pick. And if we don't like him enough maybe someone else does and we can use him to trade back.

Texian
12-14-2013, 08:47 PM
UCF QB Blake Bortles set to make NFL draft decision after Fiesta Bowl

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-blake-bortles-future-1213-20131212,0,3665167.story

Texian
12-15-2013, 11:26 AM
This is why the Houston Texans should strongly consider Blake Bortles as their next QB and their future answer to Andrew Luck;

"Oviedo coach Wes Allen was on vacation in August 2009 when he got a call from his quarterback, Blake Bortles. The then-high school senior told Allen he was going to commit to UCF and asked one favor of his coach.

"'I'm committed,'" Allen recalled Bortles saying. "I don't want any other distractions. I don't want to hear from other teams during the season. The only thing I'm focused on now is Oviedo."

and

"Rob Bortles, Blake's father, said the family will not weigh any draft decisions until after the Fiesta Bowl in order to avoid distractions going into the season-ending game."

mussop
12-15-2013, 02:00 PM
This is why the Houston Texans should strongly consider Blake Bortles as their next QB and their future answer to Andrew Luck;

"Oviedo coach Wes Allen was on vacation in August 2009 when he got a call from his quarterback, Blake Bortles. The then-high school senior told Allen he was going to commit to UCF and asked one favor of his coach.

"'I'm committed,'" Allen recalled Bortles saying. "I don't want any other distractions. I don't want to hear from other teams during the season. The only thing I'm focused on now is Oviedo."

and

"Rob Bortles, Blake's father, said the family will not weigh any draft decisions until after the Fiesta Bowl in order to avoid distractions going into the season-ending game."

his talent is why they should consider him.

Honoring Earl 34
12-15-2013, 02:19 PM

and

Man ... Only if the Texans played in the Fun Fair Positive Pro Football league . :clown:

Texian
12-15-2013, 03:31 PM
his talent is why they should consider him.

That's a given, his attitude wasn't.

Texian
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
As I suggested, as I predicted, I said don't believe all that media hype, NFL draft boards will disagree with the media about Teddy being the #1 pick......and so it begins:

"On Sunday night on NBC's Football Night in America, Sports Illustrated senior writer Peter King said Bortles is the top quarterback on the board for some NFL teams".

"The fastest rising quarterback in the first round, should he choose to come out, is fourth-year junior Blake Bortles of Central Florida," King said. "I’ve spoken to a team that’s likely to have a top 10 pick, and they like him better than any quarterback in this draft.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/knights-notepad/os-ucf-nfl-draft-buzz-blake-bortles-20131216,0,6542775.post

The tide begins to turn, y'all are not surprised because you were forewarned...stay tuned.

WolverineFan
12-16-2013, 04:40 PM
As I suggested, as I predicted, I said don't believe all that media hype, NFL draft boards will disagree with the media about Teddy being the #1 pick......and so it begins:

So 4-5 teams having Bortles, Manziel, or McCarron ranked over Bridgewater means it was all media hype for Teddy. Gotcha.

Btw, I was high on Bortles as far back as last year. I just find your rhetoric concerning Bridgewater/Bortles to be ridiculous.

Texian
12-16-2013, 04:55 PM
So 4-5 teams having Bortles, Manziel, or McCarron ranked over Bridgewater means it was all media hype for Teddy. Gotcha.

Btw, I was high on Bortles as far back as last year. I just find your rhetoric concerning Bridgewater/Bortles to be ridiculous.

Hooray for you! Don't be bitter! Try and be nice! Bill Walsh says, believe what your eyes and ears are telling you.

Playoffs
12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Hopefully he'll come out this year. We need as much talent at the top as possible.

"The fastest rising quarterback in the first round, should he choose to come out, is fourth-year junior Blake Bortles of Central Florida," King said. "I’ve spoken to a team that’s likely to have a top 10 pick, and they like him better than any quarterback in this draft.”

I think we all know King has been talking to Rick Smith, as of late.

infantrycak
12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Wasn't there a discussion about teams not having boards yet? Who was that poster? - he needs to educate Peter King.

Honoring Earl 34
12-16-2013, 05:22 PM

"On Sunday night on NBC's Football Night in America, Sports Illustrated senior writer Peter King said Bortles is the top quarterback on the board for some NFL teams".

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/knights-notepad/os-ucf-nfl-draft-buzz-blake-bortles-20131216,0,6542775.post

The tide begins to turn, y'all are not surprised because you were forewarned...stay tuned.

Don't throw out your shoulder .

Texian
12-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Wasn't there a discussion about teams not having boards yet? Who was that poster? - he needs to educate Peter King.

I don't think any boards have been set.

mussop
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM

So what exactly was your prediction? That not every board would have Teddy #1?

:clap:

Texian
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
So what exactly was your prediction? That not every board would have Teddy #1?

:clap:

and that Bortles could also be drafted ahead of Teddy. Hold the Applause, Please. :)

Texecutioner
12-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Who was the best passer of all time??? In my eyes it was Dan Marino. The closest thing to that in the newer era would probably be Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers as a pure passer with amazing accuracy and fluidity with the arm to just sling it. However in Marino's era he simply was not the best QB. Joe Montana was and even Elway was better than Marino to me. They both just had a stronger ability to play the QB position. Joe was better than all of them at that time due to his cool mode in the clutch and ability to lead his team.

In this era it has easily been Tom Brady and he's been a slightly better version of Montana accomplishing more other than one more SB ring with much lesser teams. Rodgers and Brees have had a slightly better arm as a pure passer, but that's still debatable.

Who is that next guy of the new generation that isn't a standout the same way that Montana and Brady weren't. God, that's tough to find. It's more like luck to find a guy that's a great passer, but not truly the best, but simply the best technician at the QB position. Maybe Bortles is that guy. Who knows. It is very interesting to see why the interest in him continues to spike.

htownfan32
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
and that Bortles could also be drafted ahead of Teddy. Hold the Applause, Please. :)

Congratulations, you win the entire internet.

mussop
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Lots of people have predicted that.

Texian
12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Congratulations, you win the entire internet.

Al Gore would object

Lots of people have predicted that.

Not that many here, it's about 20 to 1 in favor of Teddy.

Texian
12-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Who was the best passer of all time??? In my eyes it was Dan Marino. The closest thing to that in the newer era would probably be Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers as a pure passer with amazing accuracy and fluidity with the arm to just sling it. However in Marino's era he simply was not the best QB. Joe Montana was and even Elway was better than Marino to me. They both just had a stronger ability to play the QB position. Joe was better than all of them at that time due to his cool mode in the clutch and ability to lead his team.

In this era it has easily been Tom Brady and he's been a slightly better version of Montana accomplishing more other than one more SB ring with much lesser teams. Rodgers and Brees have had a slightly better arm as a pure passer, but that's still debatable.

Who is that next guy of the new generation that isn't a standout the same way that Montana and Brady weren't. God, that's tough to find. It's more like luck to find a guy that's a great passer, but not truly the best, but simply the best technician at the QB position. Maybe Bortles is that guy. Who knows. It is very interesting to see why the interest in him continues to spike.

I share many of your thoughts, Walsh drafted Montana because of his ability to win games with the last possession of the game. Belichick expressed similar comments about Brady and why they used a 6th RD draft pick to select him. Bortles 4 GW drives this year has piqued my interest and he has always looked so calm and collected doing so.

BorrowMe
12-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Man The more I see him. The more I like the idea of the Texans drafting him. He reminds me of Luck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

aussie_texan
12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Man The more I see him. The more I like the idea of the Texans drafting him. He reminds me of Luck.

he certainly has the same body type and frame. similar body to big ben as well.

Blake
12-18-2013, 10:59 AM

In what way does he remind you of Luck?

TexansFTW
12-18-2013, 11:17 AM
In what way does he remind you of Luck?

He's white and had a Football player (I think maybe QB) father.

Other than that maybe height and build, but as a football player, nothing.

These comparisons are ridiculous. It seems like many are just looking for physical comparisons (skin color, build, body type) to use these comparisons and not actual football playing.

I saw in another thread someone comparing Teddy B to David Garrarrd AND Byron Leftwich... come on people.

WolverineFan
12-18-2013, 11:45 AM
These comparisons are ridiculous. It seems like many are just looking for physical comparisons (skin color, build, body type) to use these comparisons and not actual football playing.

I'm guilty of it as well sometimes. Sometimes you're trying to describe to someone how you see a guy physically and so you make that comparison. If someone thinks Bortles looks like Luck physically then that's fine. But I would never compare them like that as prospects. Luck was so much farther ahead in the mental aspect of the game and his ball placement is elite level.

It's the same as the Manziel/Wilson comparisons. Do they look similar physically? Yes. But they play nothing alike and Wilson was so much farther ahead in the game mentally and has a much better arm.

BorrowMe
12-18-2013, 12:38 PM
The man is clutch. He doesn't have the strongest arm but the ball gets there with good velocity. He has some wheels on him. Football is his life. He's a leader. And he understands what defenses are doing to him and attacks their weakness. A good qb coach would do wonders with this man.

Insideop
12-18-2013, 09:32 PM
OK, so Teddy and Blake have all the physical tools. I want to know what their mental make up is. Where is their head at? Are they going to be like PM, Luck, Brees, etc..? Or, are they going to be like Ryan Leaf? Are Teddy and Blake good team players, or are they all about the money and their egos?

The Texans need a QB and I'm good with either Teddy or Blake as long as they do their due diligence. If they screw this up it could set them back a few years.

Honoring Earl 34
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm guilty of it as well sometimes. Sometimes you're trying to describe to someone how you see a guy physically and so you make that comparison. If someone thinks Bortles looks like Luck physically then that's fine. But I would never compare them like that as prospects. Luck was so much farther ahead in the mental aspect of the game and his ball placement is elite level.

It's the same as the Manziel/Wilson comparisons. Do they look similar physically? Yes. But they play nothing alike and Wilson was so much farther ahead in the game mentally and has a much better arm.

I don't remember anyone being compared to Sonny Sixkiller ?

steelbtexan
12-19-2013, 12:20 AM

I saw in another thread someone comparing Teddy B to David Garrarrd AND Byron Leftwich... come on people.

If drafted by the Texans I think Bridgewater will have the traits of Romo as a pro. Great numbers, avg arm, good mobility. Thinks his arm is better than it is and this gets him into trouble

I want more from 1-1.

TexansSeminole
12-19-2013, 01:05 AM
I guess it's about time to watch some tape on this kid. You'd think because UCF is in Orlando, I would have seen him play more. I'll watch some when I get a chance and give my opinion when I do.

On paper, I like his size. I've been watching Bridgewater more and he's just so dang skinny. His legs are like toothpicks.

Texian
12-19-2013, 10:01 AM

I have compared Teddy to Landry Jones, both IMHO have questionable ball placement and high trajectory on their deep pass. This must be some more of that asinine reasoning. :)

TexansFTW
12-19-2013, 10:18 AM
If drafted by the Texans I think Bridgewater will have the traits of Romo as a pro. Great numbers, avg arm, good mobility. Thinks his arm is better than it is and this gets him into trouble

I want more from 1-1.

Just about every expert I've read says he's got great arm strength, don't know where avg arm came from.

When does his arm get him into trouble? I think trouble and I think game ending / game changing interceptions. He's never done that.

He actually plays pretty awesome in clutch moments. Constantly cool in the 4th with game winning drives. He even had the ball on Louisville's final drive against UCF and drove down the field and scored. Bortles also drove down and scored. This to me tells me both are awesome QBs, I like TB more though.

I see 0% of TB in Romo. Maybe they will both play in Texas next year?

Honoring Earl 34
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I think we draft Bortles and McCarron and put their girlfriends on the 50p yard line so they can be on the jumbo screen all the time . We can fire Mark V and hire Brent Musberger .

Texans have a 3rd down and 9 from their own 2 yd line . Bortles back to pass ... wait ... have you seen Katherine Webb and Bortles chick ? Umm umm umm ... dre just think what you could do on a baby oil slip and slide with those two . Incomplete ... Dre ... those are two hot ladies ... I'll tell you what ... punt to the 46 yd line .... if I was 50 years younger I'd give them the ol Musberger .

Texian
12-19-2013, 10:42 AM
American Athletic Conference

Offensive Player of the Year = Blake Bortles
1st Team QB = Blake Bortles
2nd Team QB = Teddy Bridgewater

http://theamerican.org/news/2013/12/11/FB_1211130338.aspx

TexansFTW
12-19-2013, 11:01 AM
American Athletic Conference

Offensive Player of the Year = Blake Bortles
1st Team QB = Blake Bortles
2nd Team QB = Teddy Bridgewater

http://theamerican.org/news/2013/12/11/FB_1211130338.aspx

2 finalists. 1 had their team beat the other's team and thus cost the other team the AAC championship. No brainer. It was the right decision.

RG3 won the Heisman when Andrew Luck was the better QB. It didn't mean RG3 was a better pro prospect.

steelbtexan
12-19-2013, 11:43 AM
2 finalists. 1 had their team beat the other's team and thus cost the other team the AAC championship. No brainer. It was the right decision.

RG3 won the Heisman when Andrew Luck was the better QB. It didn't mean RG3 was a better pro prospect.

I beg to differ RG3 was just as good aprospect as Luck. He wasn't as good this yr coming off an ACL injury. If he stays healthy Griffin can be just as good as Luck.

Shanny is an idiot.

bah007
12-19-2013, 12:22 PM
I beg to differ RG3 was just as good aprospect as Luck. He wasn't as good this yr coming off an ACL injury. If he stays healthy Griffin can be just as good as Luck.

Shanny is an idiot.

Griffin was a great prospect. Would have been the #1 QB in most drafts. But I had Luck rated significantly higher.

And yes, Shanahan has bumbled that situation.

WolverineFan
12-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Griffin was a great prospect. Would have been the #1 QB in most drafts. But I had Luck rated significantly higher.

And yes, Shanahan has bumbled that situation.

The entire organization has bumbled it.

Shanahan for playing him hurt last year and getting him hurt even worse. Also, for letting him play back from injury still not 100% and not being able to adapt to his injured and less mobile state.

Snyder for empowering his QB over the coaching staff thus sabotaging the power of the HC. Also, he continually oversteps his bounds as owner and meddles in football affairs. He invites Griffin over for dinner sometimes, yet hardly speaks to other players.

Griffin for trying to rehab too fast to get back and play. Should have taken his time, but forced the rehab so he wouldn't miss games. He also worked so hard on rehab in the offseason that he made just about zero progression as a QB. He's the same guy as last year, but with no mobility. Which of course means he's nowhere near the same guy.

EDIT: I also had Luck rated much higher. It was never a debate for me between #1/#2.

TexansFTW
12-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Nothing is guaranteed tomorrow in pro sports today and hindsight is 20/20.

Ask the Bulls and the Nationals.

If I invested 3 - 1st round picks in RG3 you're damn right I roll him out there if he's medically cleared. I'm not a doctor, but the doctor's say he's full go, that's it. There's no questions.

He was also medically cleared last year's playoff game. If they would have rolled out Cousins and got smashed while RG3 was medically cleared yall would still be calling the guy an idiot.

Shanahan is a Douche and deserves this scrutiny, but to blame him because of RG3's failures is hardly fair.

Just like everyone else in the world, I also felt that Andrew Luck was the superior NFL QB coming out of college. The same way I feel that TB is the superior NFL QB to BB, not that BB is bad, just not as good IMHO.

badboy
12-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I guess it's about time to watch some tape on this kid. You'd think because UCF is in Orlando, I would have seen him play more. I'll watch some when I get a chance and give my opinion when I do.

On paper, I like his size. I've been watching Bridgewater more and he's just so dang skinny. His legs are like toothpicks.The two games I focused on were not favorable to him. The last had the 13 degree chill factor but Keenum would get no slack for that so neither should Bortles. My biggest concern with him is he could mess up a trade scenario if he is high as some think.

Texian
12-19-2013, 01:55 PM

On paper, I like his size. I've been watching Bridgewater more and he's just so dang skinny. His legs are like toothpicks.

I have watched many of Bortles games this year. Watch the South Carolina game, his worst. Bortles literally cost his team that game with 2 INTs and a fumble. Reminded me of Jeff Driskel at FLA. Bortles also did many things to keep his team in that game and almost won the darn thing but his INTs and fumble is why they lost. Bortles has seemed to get better and correct his mistakes. The Memphis, Louisville, Temple and South Florida game Bortles delivers his team a victory at or near the games end. The SMU game was very cold and Bortles performed well in the cold. The biggest obstacle to Bortles and the UCF team playing SMU is UCF had claimed the Conference title and wrapped up a BCS Bowl the week before.

WolverineFan
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM
I have watched many of Bortles games this year. Watch the South Carolina game, his worst. Bortles literally cost his team that game with 2 INTs and a fumble. Reminded me of Jeff Driskel at FLA. Bortles also did many things to keep his team in that game and almost won the darn thing but his INTs and fumble is why they lost. Bortles has seemed to get better and correct his mistakes. The Memphis, Louisville, Temple and South Florida game Bortles delivers his team a victory at or near the games end. The SMU game was very cold and Bortles performed well in the cold. The biggest obstacle to Bortles and the UCF team playing SMU is UCF had claimed the Conference title and wrapped up a BCS Bowl the week before.

UCF also played well enough to win against Ohio State last year, and while Bortles played a good game for the most part, his turnovers are what cost them in the end.

While I wouldn't call that a trend, because he has obviously improved since the beginning of last season, one of the things I see with him is that sometimes he tries to do too much. Now sometimes this works and he makes great plays, but he also can get careless with the ball while trying to make plays. It's a double edged sword.

I'll be interested to see how he performs late in the UCF/Baylor game if it's close. When he plays lower tier teams he puts them away. Against Ohio State and South Carolina he didn't. If he performs on the big stage at the Fiesta Bowl in that situation, it will say a lot about how far he's come as a player.

Texian
12-29-2013, 06:43 PM
The junior, who Penn State coach Bill O’Brien referred to as a pro prospect earlier this week, picked apart the Lions’ secondary from the start, leading the Knights’ 13-play, 89-yard drive with ease to begin the game.

Lions’ defensive coordinator John Butler said Bortles did a great job of neutralizing the Lions’ pass rush — which amassed zero sacks — by not giving the defensive line much time to finish their rushing patterns.

“Quick decision making,” Butler said of Bortles’ best trait. “He was making his decision about where he wanted to throw the ball quickly. He threw it, and the receivers made plays.”

The junior quarterback also found ways to hurt the Lions with the deep ball, targeting an inexperienced secondary group that often came up short in coverage.

With the Knights leading 21-10 in the middle of the third quarter, Bortles felt the pressure on 2nd-and-10 and lofted a high-arching pass right into Josh Reese’s outstretched arms for the touchdown to give the Knights an 18-point lead.

This was one of many instances when Bortles bought time in the pocket before fitting a deep pass into a small area, which is exactly what O'Brien said makes defending him such a difficult task.

“Any time you have a quarterback like that with a strong arm, who’s big and can stand in the pocket and can run, it’s a very difficult challenge,” O’Brien said. “He played a great game tonight. Credit to him. I think he’s a heck of a player.”

Even when Penn State clawed back into the game late in the second half, bringing bursts of energy back into the Beaver Stadium crowd, Bortles answered.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/football/article_df4e21a8-1dba-11e3-bbac-001a4bcf6878.html

Texecutioner
12-29-2013, 08:24 PM
I am really becoming intrigued by this Bortles kid. Especially with the potential that we could land O'Brien?? :evil:

If that were to happen where O'Brien comes here and gets this Bortles kid who sounds a lot like a Brady/Montana type of QB from college then man that would be freaking awesome. Not sure how good Bortles will be or anything, but he is quickly becoming my favorite candidate.

ArlingtonTexan
12-30-2013, 09:26 AM
McShay says that Rick smith with be at Brotles' bowl game against Baylor just like was at Bridgewater's...sorry no link

Blake
12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
I have no issues with taking Bortles 1st overall if the Texans feel he is the best qb in the draft. Lets see how he does in his bowl game and find out if he is coming out.

WolverineFan
12-30-2013, 12:05 PM
McShay says that Rick smith with be at Brotles' bowl game against Baylor just like was at Bridgewater's...sorry no link

If he's not at that game he should lose his job immediately.

michaelm
12-30-2013, 12:13 PM
he should lose his job immediately.

fify.

thunderkyss
12-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Been reading up some on this kid. I didn't think he'd be an early first round discussion. I was hoping he'd be in the Boyd, Mettenberger, late first early second discussion.

I like his size. I like his story. He looks as good as any of them on youtube.

Sucks if they start talking him up to a top 10 QB.

steelbtexan
12-31-2013, 12:29 AM
If he's not at that game he should lose his job immediately.

He will probably be having sleep apnea surgery.

Afterall I read somewhere it doesn't matter if a HC/GM see/interview a prospect in person.

76Texan
12-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Been reading up some on this kid. I didn't think he'd be an early first round discussion. I was hoping he'd be in the Boyd, Mettenberger, late first early second discussion.

I like his size. I like his story. He looks as good as any of them on youtube.

Sucks if they start talking him up to a top 10 QB.

I like his size, but the way he almost "chuck and duck" reminds me of Gabbert, and that's a scary thought.

It seems to indicate that he's late in his read and/or in his mechanics.

Zach M looks to be a better prospect, but he's still in rehab before surgery, and I just read that it can take as long as 18 months for him to get back into playing shape.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Source close to #UCF QB Blake Bortles says he's still waiting on draft grade from #NFL. Will make decision after he receives.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 06:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000301149/article/film-room-ucfs-fastrising-blake-bortles-not-elite-qb

Ouch.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000301149/article/film-room-ucfs-fastrising-blake-bortles-not-elite-qb

Ouch.

Meh, Bucky. Watch tonight... draw your own conclusions.

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM

At least he wasn't compared to Ben Foles .

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Lol yea I mean why lean on 20 years of experience playing and scouting right?

Texian
01-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Nobody at nfl.com gets it wrong as much as good old Bucky. Says Blake compares to Nick Foles. Last I checked Foles is a Top 5 QB. Besides Bucky loves him some Teddy. see Bucky's Teddy Love Story.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Nobody at nfl.com gets it wrong as much as good old Bucky. Says Blake compares to Nick Foles. Last I checked Foles is a Top 5 QB. Besides Bucky loves him some Teddy. see Bucky's Teddy Love Story.

Link me to your wiki or post your scouting resume. Easy for Joe Schmoe to criticize, Brooks likes Manziel better than Bortles as well FWIW.

I can see a scenario where Bortles struggles and some of you will say he faced an elite defense.

PapaL
01-01-2014, 06:41 PM
He probably won't be the top pick but his gf sure as hell would be. Wow she makes concentrating on football hard; Lindsey Duke.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/02/qe5esagy.jpg

JRingo
01-01-2014, 06:47 PM
He probably won't be the top pick but his gf sure as hell would be. Wow she makes concentrating on football hard; Lindsey Duke.

Thanks for sharing:hurrah::hurrah::hurrah:

TexansFTW
01-01-2014, 06:47 PM

As a guy that breaks down film and evaluates talent he doesn't have to choose 1 QB and find flaw in all the rest. He's not in a Houston Texans forum making his case for 1 player over the other.

If he felt that Bortles was elite along with 4 other QBs, it's not a knock on his job to say there are 5 elite QBs in the draft. So despite the fact he loves Teddy, it doesn't mean he has to dislike Bortles. I think he is honestly assessing him.

With all that said, I don't agree w/ Bucky on this. Bortles is day 1 talent and athletic enough that I can't see the combine hurting him in any way. I also doubt that the Baylor game can hurt him either. When Baylor is up by 20 in the 4th, UCF is gonna have to throw and in a soft prevent defense he's gonna look great.

As far as Bucky frequently getting it wrong, find me a published scout/draft guy that doesn't have countless mistakes on his resume, I bet you can't unless they are from the future. 200+ players to evaluate EVERY year generally means lots of mistakes.

mussop
01-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I like Bortles a hell of a lot more than Petty.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 06:55 PM

LOL, I'll just rely on the fact that at this time last year Bucky had Sonic Sam Montgomery at #15 overall on his "Big Board". http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/TRICIA381/littles/smileys/bth_Grave.gif

bah007
01-01-2014, 07:11 PM

Definitely.

I don't think Bortles is elite either....yet. But he certainly has the tools to become elite.

Texian
01-01-2014, 07:19 PM
LOL, I'll just rely on the fact that at this time last year Bucky had Sonic Sam Montgomery at #15 overall on his "Big Board". http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/TRICIA381/littles/smileys/bth_Grave.gif

That is exactly what I mean about ole Bucky he is often quite the contrarian. I quit reading him years ago, I rarely agreed with anything he wrote and there is only so many minutes in a day, not enough for Bucky.

steelbtexan
01-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Why?

I've got Petty rated above Bortles this yr. If Petty were coming out he would be #1 rated player ahead of Clowney.

bah007
01-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Why?

I've got Petty rated above Bortles this yr. If Petty were coming out he would be #1 rated player ahead of Clowney.

What's the difference between Petty and Nick Florence?

bOODRO87
01-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Why?

http://media.tumblr.com/3c6f60916c0574714edf3da70172c2b7/tumblr_inline_mnwaoc1oiF1qz4rgp.gif

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2014, 07:34 PM

That's why I would draft him #1and Mccarron in the 2nd .

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/960/img/photos/2013/09/20/e5/06/katherine_webb_for_burst.jpg

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 07:50 PM

And he also nailed the Barkevious (sp?) Mingo, Keenan Allen picks, plus had Eric Fisher who went 1 as his 14th best, which also was a good assessment. Nobody hits 100% and all analysts want to throw out a diamond in the rough. Brooks took.a shot and missed, when the Texans made that selection more people rather than less felt it was a steal. You know that thing about hindsight right?

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
@SI_DougFarrar -Have not graded him yet, but many scouts have called to ask why media is so high on him as they do not view him as elite.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar
If today marks your first look at UCF's Blake Bortles, here's a recent scouting report. Does UCF’s Blake Bortles have the look of a first-round quarterback? (http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/17/blake-bortles-central-florida-nfl-draft-first-round-quarterback/)

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar

Seems to me that all of Bortles weaknesses are Teddy B strengths. Jake Locker? Ouch.

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 08:35 PM
...Jake Locker? Ouch.
Not the first time I've seen that comparison, but one could have been "poached" from the other: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/nfl-draft-prep-top-prospects-50-26

JRingo
01-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I want Bortles and Storm. All of the rest of the picks for OL, LB and stuffer in the middle...

Texian
01-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Seems to me that all of Bortles weaknesses are Teddy B strengths. Jake Locker? Ouch.

Bortles completion % is 15% higher and TD to INT ratio is 3x Jake Locker numbers. If you did a little research you wouldn't be so gullible and naive to media no nothing's garbage.

JRingo
01-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Bortles completion % is 15% higher and TD to INT ratio is 3x Jake Locker numbers. If you did a little research you wouldn't be so gullible and naive to media no nothing's garbage.

Good to see you T. Any thoughts on Connor Shaw? Will he be drafted.

Texian
01-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Good to see you T. Any thoughts on Connor Shaw? Will he be drafted.

Yes I think he will. He could be the QB surprise in this draft. I think he wll go earlier than many think, maybe as early as the 3rd rd.

Uncle Rico
01-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Admittedly, no I haven't felt the need to research a guy who some wanted to play TE and who is the 'flavor of the week' funny I havent heard of Bortles til this year. Not that it means anything, just saying.

Ugly 3rd down pass under duress should have been picked.

hot pickle
01-01-2014, 10:57 PM
I would really like the texans to take bortles. he is sky rocketing on mock drafts lately and I believe after combine and interviews he shoots to the top

leebigeztx
01-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Why?

Petty is a 4th rd talent. His mechanics are awful. Its a horizontal stretch offense which they don't even have plays. The reason why Rg3 was drafted as high as he was despite this jr offense was his cannon,feet,and high iq. Petty doesn't have the arm or the feet,not sure about his iq. No one rates this guy anywhere despite the cartoonish numbers.

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Reads bottom-to-top

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Charlie Taaffe is now George O'Leary's OC at UCF. Both can give info on Bortles & will be trusted. All can run multiple offenses. #Texans

Bill O'Brien can pick up the phone & reach out to O'Leary & get the full (true) background of Bortles. AJ Bouye can give insight. #Texans

George O'Leary is the current HC of Bortles at UCF. O'Leary hired O'Brien at Ga Tech in '95 & worked together until '01. #Texans

IF you're a Blake Bortles fan, know that O'Brien will have all the info he could want on him. O'Brien worked for O'Leary at Ga Tech. #Texans

drs23
01-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Definitely.

I don't think Bortles is elite either....yet. But he certainly has the tools to become elite.

How long does that take though? I've heard the knock plenty of times about the transition from playing in the spread to the pro game. The closest I saw Bortels to the center was in the huddle until the victory formation. Someone mentioned upthread about a "lazer" he delivered. I watched every play and I didn't see it and that's what I was looking for. He delivered a few bombs right on target, right in stride but I saw more overthrown than "dropped in the bucket". When I watched TB I saw smoke trailing off the ball on his throws over the middle.

What am I missing?

steelbtexan
01-02-2014, 01:43 AM
Petty is a 4th rd talent. His mechanics are awful. Its a horizontal stretch offense which they don't even have plays. The reason why Rg3 was drafted as high as he was despite this jr offense was his cannon,feet,and high iq. Petty doesn't have the arm or the feet,not sure about his iq. No one rates this guy anywhere despite the cartoonish numbers.

While I will agree his mechanics were screwed up tonight. Petty has a cannon for an arm.

leebigeztx
01-02-2014, 01:47 AM
While I will agree his mechanics were screwed up tonight. Petty has a cannon for an arm.

Shallow crosses off the spread is all I saw. I watched 4 games because you were talking him up,that dude is gonna be a 4th rd pick at best next year.

htownfan32
01-02-2014, 01:59 AM

I dunno about a cannon, but I do like the way he hit a few throws in stride. Still not all that high on Petty though, same concern with him as with Manziel although they are different QBs - system qb or not? Petty is a wild card to me more than a sure-fire thing.

htownfan32
01-02-2014, 02:01 AM
http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/gallery/bortles-girlfriend/lindsey-duke-ucf-121.jpg

Tan-mom orange ain't really my thing but she's still pretty hot.

Uncle Rico
01-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Bortles receives a 2nd round grade from NFL advisory panel.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeniorBowlPhil/status/418606451284664322?screen_name=SeniorBowlPhil

I will say he looks the part, strong arm big kid. Better served by staying in school imo.

TexansFTW
01-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Bortles receives a 2nd round grade from NFL advisory panel.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeniorBowlPhil/status/418606451284664322?screen_name=SeniorBowlPhil

I will say he looks the part, strong arm big kid. Better served by staying in school imo.

Very interesting. The advisory panel is generally pretty accurate too. I think he can improve his stock though, especially at the combine. Jake Locker, when healthy this year, actually looked like an NFL QB to me.

Texian
01-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Very interesting. The advisory panel is generally pretty accurate too. I think he can improve his stock though, especially at the combine. Jake Locker, when healthy this year, actually looked like an NFL QB to me.

FYI - the advisory council almost always returns a non 1st Rd grade for any QB that does not have a minimum of 30 college starts. In Bortles case I think he has 28 or 29 cllege starts. The fact that he received a 2nd RD is actually very strong. A 3rd or 4th RD grade would have been reason for concern.

TexansFTW
01-02-2014, 02:27 PM
FYI - the advisory council almost always returns a non 1st Rd grade for any QB that does not have a minimum of 30 college starts. In Bortles case I think he has 28 or 29 cllege starts. The fact that he received a 2nd RD is actually very strong. A 3rd or 4th RD grade would have been reason for concern.

Good information, thanks. I was not aware.

Texian
01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 6m

Podcast @ 9PM: source intimate w/Bill O'Brien "Blake Bortles much more a Bill O'Brien QB than Teddy Bridgewater" http://www.blogtalkradio.com/draft_insider/2014/01/03/draft-insider-podcast …

thunderkyss
01-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 6m

Podcast @ 9PM: source intimate w/Bill O'Brien "Blake Bortles much more a Bill O'Brien QB than Teddy Bridgewater" http://www.blogtalkradio.com/draft_insider/2014/01/03/draft-insider-podcast …

We need the people in St.Louis to start talking up Clowney or whoever we expect St. Louis to take, to add more value to our pick.

Statements like the one you just posted adds more value to Cleveland's pick for anyone who wants Bridgewater. The guy they are currently selling as the best QB in this draft.

Texian
01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
We need the people in St.Louis to start talking up Clowney or whoever we expect St. Louis to take, to add more value to our pick.

Statements like the one you just posted adds more value to Cleveland's pick for anyone who wants Bridgewater. The guy they are currently selling as the best QB in this draft.

It's on in 5 minutes so I will be tuning in to hear what the intimate source has to say

mussop
01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
At some point in this process we will announce that we aren't necessarily taking a QB. We will say Clowney is a real option. It's all a chess game.

PapaL
01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
At some point in this process we will announce that we aren't necessarily taking a QB. We will say Clowney is a real option. It's all a chess game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238006/houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-open-trading-no-1-pick

"Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said Friday. "It's an exciting time. Everything's a moving target. Lot of different pieces."

mussop
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238006/houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-open-trading-no-1-pick

Well that happened a lot sooner than I expected. :)

Texian
01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Well that happened a lot sooner than I expected. :)

I am just glad they finally hung their open for business sign. Rams hung theirs on Monday.

Texian
01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 8m

If Bortles goes No. 1 to #Texans as @dpbrugler predicts, #Rams would be silly to pass on Bridgewater at No. 2. Franchise changer.

Texian
01-03-2014, 11:26 PM
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 42m

Report: UCF QB Blake Bortles received a first-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. http://on.nfl.com/1lG2BY2

Ole Miss Texan
01-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Don't want to sift through all the pages but I find the connection between Bill O'Brien and Blake Bortles pretty interesting.

- Saw him firsthand this season when Penn St. lost to UCF (who is coached by George O'leary)
- George O'leary hired Bill O'Brien to Georgia Tech in 1995 where they coached together through 2001

It's been said O'Brien comes more from the O'leary coaching tree than the Bilichick tree.... I'd suspect Bill has some conversations with his old pal George before the draft to get some "inside information" on a potential QB selection this draft.

Texian
01-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Don't want to sift through all the pages but I find the connection between Bill O'Brien and Blake Bortles pretty interesting.

- Saw him firsthand this season when Penn St. lost to UCF (who is coached by George O'leary)
- George O'leary hired Bill O'Brien to Georgia Tech in 1995 where they coached together through 2001

It's been said O'Brien comes more from the O'leary coaching tree than the Bilichick tree.... I'd suspect Bill has some conversations with his old pal George before the draft to get some "inside information" on a potential QB selection this draft.

Connect the dots....nobody in a better position to get the straight skinny from George O'Leary than Bill O'Brien. Well Done Ole Miss!

Texian
01-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Rotoworld NFL Draft ‏@Rotoworld_Draft 5m

Brugler: Bortles will go No. 1 to Texans http://dlvr.it/4dPTj5

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound signal caller's movement skills and strength in the pocket remind us of Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger.

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Rotoworld NFL Draft ‏@Rotoworld_Draft 5m

Brugler: Bortles will go No. 1 to Texans http://dlvr.it/4dPTj5

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound signal caller's movement skills and strength in the pocket remind us of Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger.

It's going to get harder & harder to decipher what is real & what is not the closer we get to draft day. One idiot tweets player X is a first round talent, then another, then another, then "people" start believing it & using said reports as evidence of Player Xs greatness.

I've never heard that Bortles reminded anyone of Andrew Luck & I don't see how someone can remind anyone of Luck & Roethlisberger simultaneously.

By this time next week I wouldn't be surprised if we see two more reports linking one of these guys to Bortles... then it becomes fact.

aussie_texan
01-04-2014, 12:30 AM
It's going to get harder & harder to decipher what is real & what is not the closer we get to draft day. One idiot tweets player X is a first round talent, then another, then another, then "people" start believing it & using said reports as evidence of Player Xs greatness.

I've never heard that Bortles reminded anyone of Andrew Luck & I don't see how someone can remind anyone of Luck & Roethlisberger simultaneously.

By this time next week I wouldn't be surprised if we see two more reports linking one of these guys to Bortles... then it becomes fact.

these links have been made for a while.

its more about his physical stature and his throwing motion that are similar.
No one is saying they are similar prospects in terms of talent.

this sums it up well http://fansided.com/2013/11/22/ucf-qb-blake-bortles-similarities-andrew-luck/

kiwitexansfan
01-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Draft experts end up saying contrary things and great things about everyone just to cover their bases so they cha say yep we knew to make themselves look good.

leebigeztx
01-04-2014, 02:45 AM
When bridgewater gets on the chalkboard, its gonna be over for those qbs running those jr high offenses.

MistaRed
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I really hope the Texans don't pass on Bridgewater for Bortles.

Uncle Rico
01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Bortles has around 200 yards against Baylor without the awesome effort and YAC from his receiver. Just sayin.

He might have the brawn, but that alone won't get it done. Making 1 read or dumping off won't get it done at the next level ask Jake Locker. Everyone said Bortles ran a pro offense, but it was more of the same collegiate shenanigans. He isn't fitting the ball into spots or making adjustments.

I wish someone would pose a better argument than his physical traits.

Why hasnt he made a name for himself prior to this year? Flavor of the week like Ponder,Gabbett,Smith,Manuel.

I see a lot of Jamarcus Russel in Bortles.

Texian
01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
No one is saying they are similar prospects in terms of talent.

hold on....I watched most of Andrew Luck's games at Stanford. I can say IMO that that Blake Bortles is the equal or on par with Andrew Luck when Luck was in his 2nd year as a starter with Stanford.

Comp/ATT.......%.......Yards.........YPA.......TDs..... . INTs......... QBR

Luck 263/372......70.7.....3338....9.0......... 32.....8......... 170.2
Bortles 259/382.....67.8 ..3581....9.38....... 25 .....9.......... 163.4

You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years. What better player to draft to counter Andrew Luck than a mirror image of Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles?

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
hold on....I watched most of Andrew Luck's games at Stanford. I can say IMO that that Blake Bortles is the equal or on par with Andrew Luck when Luck was in his 2nd year as a starter with Stanford.

Comp/ATT.......%.......Yards.........YPA.......TDs..... . INTs......... QBR

Luck 263/372......70.7.....3338....9.0......... 32.....8......... 170.2
Bortles 259/382.....67.8 ..3581....9.38....... 25 .....9.......... 163.4

You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years. What better player to draft to counter Andrew Luck than a mirror image of Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles?

Not even close .

One ran a pro style offense while the other runs the offense of VY and Tebow .

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 10:43 AM
You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years.

You're confusing Manning and Luck.

Exascor
01-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Not even close .

Not to mention competition level. While I think it's dumb to suggest Bridgewater or Bortles competition level should be a negative, when comparing stats you do have to take it into account.

I will say this. Andrew Luck never did anything super impressive in Stanford that I saw. He just did everything very well. That's what makes me laugh at people downplaying Bridgewater. That's what he does. Everything well - nothing flashy. Is Bridgewater as good as Luck? Probably not and he sure doesn't have the same body so that is a concern. I just see more of Luck's skill set in Bridgewater than in Bortles.

I'm not set on anyone yet but would say I'm currently thinking Bridgewater, Manziel & Bortles in that order. I'm sure that will change many times over the next 4 months. I'm not a trade down guy. If they really like one QB more than the rest you take him at 1-1.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Not to mention competition level. While I think it's dumb to suggest Bridgewater or Bortles competition level should be a negative, when comparing stats you do have to take it into account.

I will say this. Andrew Luck never did anything super impressive in Stanford that I saw. He just did everything very well. That's what makes me laugh at people downplaying Bridgewater. That's what he does. Everything well - nothing flashy. Is Bridgewater as good as Luck? Probably not and he sure doesn't have the same body so that is a concern. I just see more of Luck's skill set in Bridgewater than in Bortles.

I'm not set on anyone yet but would say I'm currently thinking Bridgewater, Manziel & Bortles in that order. I'm sure that will change many times over the next 4 months. I'm not a trade down guy. If they really like one QB more than the rest you take him at 1-1.

I think this QB class is getting distorted by the " looks the part " angle .

Texian
01-04-2014, 01:08 PM
You're confusing Manning and Luck.

Nope, Manning doesn't play for the Colts or in the division anymore. In 2 years Luck is the Div champ and the Texans nemesis for the nest dozen years.

infantrycak
01-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Nope, Manning doesn't play for the Colts or in the division anymore. In 2 years Luck is the Div champ and the Texans nemesis for the nest dozen years.

Let's go over this again:

You often hear the Texans need to draft this defensive player because they will have to face Luck for the next dozen years.

People said that about drafting to stop Manning, eg. Mario. They have not been saying it about Luck (other than you).

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 01:18 PM

People said that about drafting to stop Manning, eg. Mario. They have not been saying it about Luck (other than you).

What do you call Hopkins ? :swatter:

Texian
01-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Luck vs Texans = 3-1, the Colts are $40 mil under the cap, it will get worse. There will be more saying it, because you haven't heard about it or are aware that people ARE in fact saying it doesn't mean people aren't saying that about Luck and the Texans, THEY ARE. Several say Clowney and Watt is the Texans best answer to Luck. Either get up to speed or cease and desist.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Luck vs Texans = 3-1, the Colts are $40 mil under the cap, it will get worse. There will be more saying it, because you haven't heard about it or are aware that people ARE in fact saying it doesn't mean people aren't saying that about Luck and the Texans, THEY ARE. Several say Clowney and Watt is the Texans best answer to Luck. Either get up to speed or cease and desist.

You build your team the best you can and see how you compete . The Colts have some major holes yet to fill and the Texans handled them easy for a half at Reliant . The Colts made adjustments and won the game .

IF Bill can coach , the Texans closed the gap . If they get a QB they closed it more .

GuerillaBlack
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
I really hope the Texans don't pass on Bridgewater for Bortles.

I would be pissed if they took him number one overall. No if they traded back and picked him up late in the top ten or something, then that's fine. Unless Manziel is there, of course

Texian
01-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Not even close .

A common fixation that is irrelevant and wrong.

Texian
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM
You build your team the best you can and see how you compete . The Colts have some major holes yet to fill and the Texans handled them easy for a half at Reliant . The Colts made adjustments and won the game .

IF Bill can coach , the Texans closed the gap . If they get a QB they closed it more .

The Colts have $40 mil to spend, the Texans DON'T.

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Just because they have $40 million to spend doesn't mean they will fix all of their holes. Hell, they gave up a 1st round pick for their backup RB.

I do agree that they are in much better position than the Texans. Mainly because they have a QB and we don't.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
A common fixation that is irrelevant and wrong.

Nothing is irrelevant when it's somebody you don't like .

Just because they have money doesn't mean they can get the right players . This isn't the NFL player shopping network with a money back guarantee .

Texian
01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Nothing is irrelevant when it's somebody you don't like .

Just because they have money doesn't mean they can get the right players . This isn't the NFL player shopping network with a money back guarantee .

Unlike most here there is no preconceived like or dislike. Only reality based unbiased and objectivity. There is the ability to think beyond the 2013 Sugar Bowl, there is the ability to think for one's self not what the media tells you to believe.

There is no difference in a 20 yard pass from shotgun formation in a Pro Set or some kind of spread. A 20 yard out is a 20 yard out, a 40 yard post is a 40 yard post, a 15 yard cross is a 15 yard cross, a 12 yard hook is 12 yard hook. A 25 yard TD run is a 25 yard TD run.

Hint: Put your money on the team with $40 mil to be more competitive than a team with only $8 Mil. Basic common sense and logic vs a whole bunch of wishing and hoping.

thunderkyss
01-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Bortles has around 200 yards against Baylor without the awesome effort and YAC from his receiver. Just sayin.

For an apples to "kinda" apples comparison, how many yards did TeddyB have vs Miami without the awesome effort & YAC from his receiver?

Serious question, I'm not convinced Bortles belongs in the discussion, though I readily admit he is.

I've never heard anyone say that. But I have heard the, "Oh crap we've got to face Andrew Luck twice a year." I'm slowly coming around to believing Luck is going to be a good player, but still.... I don't think this way. Not even Brady is undefeated. It may be tougher to beat him than other QBs, but it makes us better, I think.

At the same time... I started the "Keenum vs Luck" thread with the same "anti-Luck" thought process. I want a player that our opponents say, "Awsht, we've got to face XXXX player." If Keenum proves not to be that guy (which so far, he has) then we need to draft a QB early in the draft (between picks 1 & 33).

If Bridgewater was a "Awsht, we've got to face Teddy twice a year." player, I'd be fine using the 1-1 on him. So far, all I'm getting is the Jag fans hoping we pass on him. They don't seem to be to worried about us likely picking him.

I guess that counts for something.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Unlike most here there is no preconceived like or dislike. Only reality based unbiased and objectivity. There is the ability to think beyond the 2013 Sugar Bowl, there is the ability to think for one's self not what the media tells you to believe.

There is no difference in a 20 yard pass from shotgun formation in a Pro Set or some kind of spread. A 20 yard out is a 20 yard out, a 40 yard post is a 40 yard post, a 15 yard cross is a 15 yard cross, a 12 yard hook is 12 yard hook. A 25 yard TD run is a 25 yard TD run.

Hint: Put your money on the team with $40 mil to be more competitive than a team with only $8 Mil. Basic common sense and logic vs a whole bunch of wishing and hoping.

You are as unobjective as a mother with a kid in a beauty pagent .

The team with less money means they haven't paid up yet .

Texian
01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
You are as unobjective as a mother with a kid in a beauty pagent .

I make up my mind after watching hundreds of hours of actual college games. You and your brethren on the other hand, are only as good as the lastest Bleacher Report or the last talking bobble head you listened to. But in your mind you think you're the better informed.....go figure. All Hail Todd McShay, All hail Matt Miller.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
I make up my mind after watching hundreds of hours of actual college games. You and your brethren on the other hand, are only as good as the lastest Bleacher Report or the last talking bobble head you listened to. But in your mind you think you're the better informed.....go figure. All Hail Todd McShay, All hail Matt Miller.

Ever wonder why nobody, literally nobody takes you seriously?

stingray
01-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Damn dude...ive never put anyone on ignore list in 8 years i have been here but looks like you might be the first.

steelbtexan
01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
What do you call Hopkins ? :swatter:

Over drafted

Trap_Star
01-04-2014, 04:41 PM
yeah, you peons have nothing on texian. only he can go through hours upon hours of game film every day while his significant other cybers on cam with Darnell, Jamal and the boys online in the next room...All so he could be the best informed to grace us with his opinions.

mad respect.

Texian
01-04-2014, 04:45 PM

Lemmings?

Damn dude...ive never put anyone on ignore list in 8 years i have been here but looks like you might be the first.

That's what they make it for....

WolverineFan
01-04-2014, 05:16 PM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17zpv9d2f6azagif/original.gif

Texian
01-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Holy Smokes! Tuned in to watch Colts vs Chiefs and ended up watching Andrew Luck doing his very best Blake Bortles impersonation. Throws a couple of INTs but is never bothered. Cool, calm and collected Luck leads his team back from a big deficit for another 4th quarter WIN, JUST LIKE BLAKE BORTLES. Can you believe it??? :)

Uncle Rico
01-04-2014, 08:35 PM
For an apples to "kinda" apples comparison, how many yards did TeddyB have vs Miami without the awesome effort & YAC from his receiver?

True, for that 1 game, so I guess Teddy would go from 460 yards to 360?

Bigger question whose game is predicated on such an offense?

People here who are trying to argue the shotgun spread is a winning offense in the pros is stuck on dumb. No play action, no power run game. All slight of hand.

Bortles didn't make 1 NFL throw the other night. It's easy to throw to wide open guys and dump off to your playmaker.

Teddy B found 10 different receivers. It was a passing clinic, go back and watch it and be witness to real quarterbacking.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17zpv9d2f6azagif/original.gif

Holy Smokes! Tuned in to watch Colts vs Chiefs and ended up watching Andrew Luck doing his very best Blake Bortles impersonation. Throws a couple of INTs but is never bothered. Cool, calm and collected Luck leads his team back from a big deficit for another 4th quarter WIN, JUST LIKE BLAKE BORTLES. Can you believe it??? :)

That's the ticket

Texecutioner
01-04-2014, 09:00 PM
True, for that 1 game, so I guess Teddy would go from 460 yards to 360?

Bigger question whose game is predicated on such an offense?

People here who are trying to argue the shotgun spread is a winning offense in the pros is stuck on dumb. No play action, no power run game. All slight of hand.

Bortles didn't make 1 NFL throw the other night. It's easy to throw to wide open guys and dump off to your playmaker.

Teddy B found 10 different receivers. It was a passing clinic, go back and watch it and be witness to real quarterbacking.

You have no idea at all what a NFL throw is or you wouldn't have said that. Hell, please explain what "you think" is an NFL throw and what isn't.

He made at least two great throws down the field which is what a lot of scouts want to see. It's fine to have a guy you favor like Bridgewater. Everyone likes one guy over the other, but to sit here and make up utter complete lies about other QB's because they aren't named Bridgewater makes you seem so immature.

Uncle Rico
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/greggabe/status/41988349140103577

https://mobile.twitter.com/greggabe

He doesn't seem too fond of the heartwarming story that is Bortles.

Boller? Gabbert? Ouch.

Hopefully his 30 years in a scouting/executive capacity is acceptable.

2slik4u
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM

Starting to think texian IS Bortles?

Would explain a lot.

Although I am on team Bortles assuming we trade back to get him he is by no means an Andrew luck clone. I don't care what stats you dig up.

And for your reference - it would be Bortles doing his best Andrew luck impersonation, not the other way around.

Texian
01-05-2014, 04:02 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/greggabe/status/41988349140103577

https://mobile.twitter.com/greggabe

He doesn't seem too fond of the heartwarming story that is Bortles.

Boller? Gabbert? Ouch.

Hopefully his 30 years in a scouting/executive capacity is acceptable.

I appreciate all input, pro and con. Like I said, I try to be as unbiased and objective as I can. I stopped falling in love with players long ago. That is the first Boller, Gabbert comparison I have seen.

Texian
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Starting to think texian IS Bortles?

Would explain a lot.

Although I am on team Bortles assuming we trade back to get him he is by no means an Andrew luck clone. I don't care what stats you dig up.

And for your reference - it would be Bortles doing his best Andrew luck impersonation, not the other way around.

Humor 2slik4u. Just a little humor. Having some fun at the Bridgewater Fanatics & Fan Club expense. Nothing more. Relax!...and have some fun!

beerlover
01-05-2014, 04:14 PM
I've got to say both Phillip Rivers & Andy Dalton suck, playoff teams or not both teams should think about entering Bortles sweepstakes.

Texian
01-05-2014, 08:10 PM
BooYah.....must have got an early call from Bill, ladies and gentlemen and all Texans fans meet your new starting QB: :) :) :) :) :)

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 3m

Blake Bortles UCF QB will enter NFL Draft. (First reported Orlando Sentinel)

JCTexan
01-05-2014, 08:13 PM
BooYah.....must have got an early call from Bill, ladies and gentlemen and all Texans fans meet your new starting QB:

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 3m

Blake Bortles UCF QB will enter NFL Draft. (First reported Orlando Sentinel)

I have no problems with Bortles. He reminds me the most of Luck in this draft.

bah007
01-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I have no problems with Bortles. He reminds me the most of Luck in this draft.

Eh, he looks and runs like Luck. That's where the similarities end though, unfortunately.

I'd be on board if we took him. But he needs some time before he's ready.

JCTexan
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Eh, he looks and runs like Luck. That's where the similarities end though, unfortunately.

Who would you compare Bortles to?

Texecutioner
01-05-2014, 09:46 PM

Pretty much. He reminds me of a Ben Rothlisbeurger more than anything.

drs23
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM

:popcorn:

bckey
01-06-2014, 06:14 AM

You kiddin me. I have about 9 people on mine. Too bad it doesn't work when the person on your ignore list is quoted.

bah007
01-06-2014, 09:45 AM

I think he's a cross between Roethlisberger and Jake Locker. He has tools. But anybody that expects him to take the league by storm is mistaken. He will need time to mentally adapt to the NFL.

steelbtexan
01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I think he's a cross between Roethlisberger and Jake Locker. He has tools. But anybody that expects him to take the league by storm is mistaken. He will need time to mentally adapt to the NFL.

Good comparison

As does every other QB in the NFL. It will be atleast 3 yrs before any of these QB's will be SB worthy.

bah007
01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Good comparison

As does every other QB in the NFL. It will be atleast 3 yrs before any of these QB's will be SB worthy.

I think there are a select few QBs who come into the league ready to go. Luck and Matt Ryan fall into this category. Bridgewater may. He is very pro ready. He is mentally light years ahead of the other prospects in this draft. His physical skills will determine his potential.

But for the most part, most rookie QBs would benefit from a year on the bench adapting to the NFL style of play.

Texian
01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/3381/weekend-review-on-college-qb-decisions?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

More on Bortles from the Orlando Sentinel:

Bortles passed for 3,581 yards, 25 touchdowns and nine interceptions, completing 67.8 percent of his passes. He also rushed for another 272 yards and six touchdowns, earning American Athletic Conference offensive player of the year honors.

It was his play in close games that vaulted him into the national spotlight. Bortles navigated UCF through seven wins by seven points or less to capture the conference championship and an automatic Bowl Championship Series bid.

Playing on the biggest stage in school history against Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, Bortles showed the poise that has made him such a valuable prospect. After throwing two early interceptions, he bounced back to pass for three touchdowns and run for another as UCF stunned the heavily-favored Bears.

Bortles has intrigued NFL scouts with his mix of size, athleticism and toughness.

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, he has the frame coveted by NFL scouts. Bortles also has a strong arm and is capable of making all of the throws needed at the NFL level. His elusiveness in the pocket and ability to escape pressure to make plays is also a major plus.

The Pencil Neck
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
I really like what I've seen of Bortles. Roethlisberger is the guy he reminded me of and bah007's Roethlisberger/Locker mashup is a great comp.

When Roethlisberger was a rook, they restricted the offense to minimize the reads and to cut the field to make things easier for him. And he was hugely successful that year. Bortles could be that kind of guy.

It's going to be interesting to see the Combine.

Playoffs
01-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
And so begins the 5 month debate over which QB should go first overall--Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles. I like both, but give me Teddy

kiwitexansfan
01-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Why Locker?

His completion percentages were terrible in college. Is Bortles that inaccurate? His completion percentage is much higher.

Playoffs
01-06-2014, 08:11 PM
2014 NFL Mock Draft: Blake Bortles No. 1 to the Texans makes sense (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24400823/nfl-draft-bortles-no-1-to-the-texans-makes-sense)
In a class that lacks a consensus top quarterback prospect, it shouldn't shock anyone if the Houston Texans draft Central Florida's Blake Bortles with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

With the hire of head coach Bill O'Brien, it's a fair assumption that...

Texn4life
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
The Texans WILL NOT draft Bortles #1 overall! Too much of a bust factor.

Texian
01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
2014 NFL Mock Draft: Blake Bortles No. 1 to the Texans makes sense (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24400823/nfl-draft-bortles-no-1-to-the-texans-makes-sense)

Bortles is built well for NFL competition and has the make-up and skill-set that coaches and scouts seek in a “franchise” quarterback. At 6-4 and 230 pounds, he has good arm strength and downfield vision, but also quick feet and terrific mobility to be a threat with his legs. Bortles has above average poise, pocket presence and overall feel for what's going on around him, showing the ability to execute under pressure and improvise when needed. His release and arm strength are similar to Andrew Luck and his size, mobility and clutch attributes are very reminiscent of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

O'Brien even had the chance to see Bortles first-hand during the 2013 season when Central Florida visited Happy Valley this past September and left with a 34-31 victory. Bortles finished the game 20-for-27 (74.1%) for 288 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, handing Penn State its first loss of the season. After the game, O'Brien had this to say about the Knights junior quarterback:

“Anytime you have a quarterback like [Blake Bortles], who is accurate, has a strong arm, is big, and can stand in the pocket and can run, it is a difficult challenge. He played a great game tonight and all the credit to him. I think he is a heck of a player. I didn't get a chance to meet him or say hello to him, but I think he is a heck of a player. He had a great game.”

aussie_texan
01-07-2014, 03:14 AM
could you imagine if we took bortles number 1 than the jags took TB. man he would be pissed and playing him twice a year would surely make for some intriguing story lines.

BullNation4Life
01-07-2014, 02:05 PM

So is Bridgewater, so is any QB is this draft...

so what's your point?

BullNation4Life
01-07-2014, 02:08 PM
could you imagine if we took bortles number 1 than the jags took TB. man he would be pissed and playing him twice a year would surely make for some intriguing story lines.

Any QB that goes to Jax is doomed from the start....

No O-line, traded their best one to Baltimore

No WR, at least none that can stay out of trouble

If TB goes to JAX, I would be more sad for TB than afraid...

HOU-TEX
01-07-2014, 02:17 PM

If Bortles has too much of a bust factor, Bridgewater must be a ticking timebomb

I pray we're able to trade back

mussop
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Bortles is built well for NFL competition and has the make-up and skill-set that coaches and scouts seek in a “franchise” quarterback. At 6-4 and 230 pounds, he has good arm strength and downfield vision, but also quick feet and terrific mobility to be a threat with his legs. Bortles has above average poise, pocket presence and overall feel for what's going on around him, showing the ability to execute under pressure and improvise when needed. His release and arm strength are similar to Andrew Luck and his size, mobility and clutch attributes are very reminiscent of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

O'Brien even had the chance to see Bortles first-hand during the 2013 season when Central Florida visited Happy Valley this past September and left with a 34-31 victory. Bortles finished the game 20-for-27 (74.1%) for 288 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, handing Penn State its first loss of the season. After the game, O'Brien had this to say about the Knights junior quarterback:

“Anytime you have a quarterback like [Blake Bortles], who is accurate, has a strong arm, is big, and can stand in the pocket and can run, it is a difficult challenge. He played a great game tonight and all the credit to him. I think he is a heck of a player. I didn't get a chance to meet him or say hello to him, but I think he is a heck of a player. He had a great game.”

10 to 1 Texian. Cut, pasted and posted that with one hand. :heart:

Trap_Star
01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

both hands were free....now the mouth was a different story.

:good:

Texian
01-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Any QB that goes to Jax is doomed from the start....

A team that beat the Texans twice....so what does that make any QB who goes to Houston?

steelbtexan
01-07-2014, 07:41 PM

Repped

TheIronDuke
01-08-2014, 08:33 AM
On the radio just now LZ said that he has sources saying Shortles will be our pick at #1 after all is said and done. Take that for what it's worth.

Trap_Star
01-08-2014, 10:20 AM
On the radio just now LZ said that he has sources saying Shortles will be our pick at #1 after all is said and done. Take that for what it's worth.

so he's insinuating that the texans have already made up their mind even tho the evaluation process hasn't even kicked into gear yet...

:toropalm:

PapaL
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Bet you his sources are Texian.

noxiousdog
01-08-2014, 11:34 AM
I don't really have any opinion one way or the other, but it cracks me up that one of his upsides was he was able to throw two interceptions.

/signed first two games of the season.

Blake
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM

So some chicken is afraid to attach his name to a draft prediction? Unless it is someone who can make draft decisions for the Texans or his right hand man being anonymous just sounds ridiculous.

Mr teX
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I see the tools...i see the measurables.....i don't see the decision making...

TexansFTW
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM

lol, sorry Tex. You're far from unbiased. Your information is good that's why I don't blast you like most others do, but you definitely show quite a bit of bias.

The money thing can't be argued though. We R F'd.

In his defense, I do. I disagree w/ him often too.

Engaging in a back and forth argument I learned long ago is just a time suck though. He's got good information and you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

Ryan Tannehill, maybe Jake Locker (who showed me in a limited time he was on the field this year that he COULD be an NFL QB).

I think he (Bortles) can be very good, but bottom end of top 10 QBs is the ceiling I see for him, which is hardly bad, don't get me wrong.

A team that beat the Texans twice....so what does that make any QB who goes to Houston?

Ouch. Sad, but true. At least for us it will (hopefully) only be a 1 year thing.

The Pencil Neck
01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Ryan Tannehill, maybe Jake Locker (who showed me in a limited time he was on the field this year that he COULD be an NFL QB).

I think he (Bortles) can be very good, but bottom end of top 10 QBs is the ceiling I see for him, which is hardly bad, don't get me wrong.

If a guy is good enough to go in the top 10 then he's not a reach at 1-1, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe in the BPA concept because I don't believe that there is such a thing as the "best player." The rankings of the players is purely subjective. So team A's BPA isn't going to be team B's BPA and that's certainly not the same as Mel Kiper's BPA.

Each team has to know its needs and its strengths and weaknesses. When they rank the players, they should be ranking by which player is going to have the most positive impact on their team.

So if we decide to take Bortles or Manziel or Bridgewater or Clowney first, I'm fine with that as long as the FO is right in determining that whichever guy they choose is going to have a huge impact on this team. BUT... with the rookie wage scale, it's not as important to hit on that 1-1 (or even top-10) pick as it used to be.

If we go with Bortles, he doesn't have to be the next Peyton Manning to be worth the 1-1 pick. He just needs to evolve into upper echelon QB in a year or two.

Up until the last few years, it was so rare for rookie QBs to be successful that it was silly. IIRC, only one rookie starting QB had a winning record in the history of the NFL prior to Roethlisberger... and now we've had a run of rookie and second year QBs doing great things.

I'm hoping whoever we pick duplicates that sort of Russell Wilson/Roethlisberger/RGIII success but the odds are against it. So I'm not expecting him to hit the ground running as an upper echelon QB.

Honoring Earl 34
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
They should take these guys out like they do on that elite 11 show and give them a good workout . The #1 guy in the country didn't even make it to the first 8 IIRC . Jameis Winston won the show I watched .

infantrycak
01-08-2014, 04:12 PM
If a guy is good enough to go in the top 10 then he's not a reach at 1-1, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe in the BPA concept because I don't believe that there is such a thing as the "best player." The rankings of the players is purely subjective. So team A's BPA isn't going to be team B's BPA and that's certainly not the same as Mel Kiper's BPA.

Each team has to know its needs and its strengths and weaknesses. When they rank the players, they should be ranking by which player is going to have the most positive impact on their team.

I agree. I hate the way folks act like the players all come with little objectively graded bar codes and you just line them up - then yell at anything not done in conformance with the imaginary value.