PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still believe in Kubiak?

acal21
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
When I watched this offense all last year i was drooling over the thought of having a mobile, fast QB when Schaub would be Schaub and thought about how amazing we could be

It seems like everyones favorite QB on here is Bridgewater, so would you guys not believe that Kubiak could turn things around and make a run for a Super Bowl in the last year of his contract with a change at QB?

Thorn
11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
A good QB would improve things. So would a good O-line. And even the best QB can't perform at their best when they are getting hit and sacked all the time.

ATXtexanfan
11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
#8 believes.

acal21
11-25-2013, 09:39 PM
A good QB would improve things. So would a good O-line. And even the best QB can't perform at their best when they are getting hit and sacked all the time.

Im not talking about this year, this year has been a complete disaster... think about last year when we were still winning games but would slow down on offense

Obviously at 2-9 there is gonna be more than one position you have to fix

Im not sure what I'm rooting for at this point, thats all

Thorn
11-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm rooting for the Texans first. But also for a new GM, coaching staff, and front office staff.

Marcus
11-25-2013, 09:42 PM
It's not a question of "believing in Kubiak".

The season has gone to sh!t, and fans want that mental reset going into the offseason.

acal21
11-25-2013, 09:49 PM
It's not a question of "believing in Kubiak".

The season has gone to sh!t, and fans want that mental reset going into the offseason.

I definitely understand that

Thats exactly what I need, 5 weeks early

Say Watt
11-25-2013, 09:55 PM
I routinely pointed out the problems with Kubiak last year and felt their were many problems with the team then, and still believe the same now. This team has underperformed under Kubiak, the last two seasons notwithstanding.

acal21
11-25-2013, 10:06 PM
I routinely pointed out the problems with Kubiak last year and felt their were many problems with the team then, and still believe the same now. This team has underperformed under Kubiak, the last two seasons notwithstanding.

They do underperform under Kubiak and i don't think that is something that will change as the head coach of the Texans.. if he figures it out its not going to happen here in Houston

Norg
11-25-2013, 10:06 PM
I still believe in Kubes ..... yes rick smith NO

but uhh I don't think hes making a good case for himself right now esp if we lose out

Maybbbbeee myabbbeee if we win out and show we can beat dees elite teams in Denver pats and colts and wipe out ten and jags on the road then IDK but we will see

acal21
11-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I honestly think if we fixed our special teams, i would have a little bit more faith in kubiak to fix this team

JB
11-25-2013, 10:17 PM
If we had one of the top running attacks in the NFL, Kubiak's offense can be potent. Doesn't change the fact that it has gotten so predictable that you can call the play beforehand and so can the defense. A better QB might change that, and fixing the offensive line would help. He's still learning to manage the game.

I think on a different team and with a different set of circumstances he may be a decent HC. But he has lost this team, and there is no going back.

silvrhand
11-25-2013, 10:31 PM
When I watched this offense all last year i was drooling over the thought of having a mobile, fast QB when Schaub would be Schaub and thought about how amazing we could be

It seems like everyones favorite QB on here is Bridgewater, so would you guys not believe that Kubiak could turn things around and make a run for a Super Bowl in the last year of his contract with a change at QB?

It's not just this year for many years we have seen the following:

- getting completely outcoached
- not having his team ready for big games aka primetime
- we have only beat a bad bengals team in the playoffs, see above
- not able to deliver a good QB, even though he's supposedly a great QB coach.
- sticks with players/coaches too long.
- doesn't seem willing to adjust his style to suit his players.

Now that being said Kubiak has done a lot for this team, and he's a great person, but I just think he's not head coach material and that's ok. He'll make a great position/offensive coordinator somewhere if he can learn to adjust. I just think it's time for us to move on to get to the next level.

badboy
11-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I like Kubiak as well as Schaub and rooted for them but that is over. We play down to the level of competition seemingly. We can replace MS & maybe Keenum will, but not sure about who would replace Kubiak. I am not fan of ZBS or multi TE sets. It is like when I filed for divorce, didn't care what kind of life replaced the married life I had, I just wanted a change. I am beginning to lose respect for Robert McNair.

Corrosion
11-25-2013, 10:40 PM

I don't think they underperformed .... I think Schaub's injury was a bigger deal than any of us could imagine and it significantly increased his limitations. Then throw in injuries to Cushing , OD and Foster .... along with pathetic play from the OL and this is what you get.

I think Keenum has played about as well as he possibly could under the circumstances and the defense .... even tho its given up points is still a good unit overall , proof being they are still leading the league in yardage allowed while being 2-9 , not producing turnovers and cant get off the field on 3rd downs as well as the offense constantly putting them back on the field.

There's a lot of talent on this team , its just lacking a QB , a RT and an impact player on defense other than that Watt guy be that a LBer or a DB .... Quarterback being the biggest issue , no matter who the coach is they aren't going to win many games with a broken down Schaub , TJ Yates or Keenum. (yes , Ive passed judgment on Keenum , he's not the solution)

Hard to say they underperformed given the circumstances.

gtexan02
11-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Not a chance. I would have fired Kubiak already if I was McNair. It shows a loser's mentality to keep him around.

Kubiak has had a lot of years to build a team and here we are sitting at 2-9 and getting worse every game. He has lost this team, he has lost the players, and he has lost the fans. If he sticks around next year expectations will be low and we will still probably underachieve.

Kubiak has had so many strikes against him this year it's a miracle he hasn't been kicked to the curb already:
1) Predictable playcalls that have directly contributed to interceptions and pick 6s
2) Refusing to manage our special teams, resulting in the worst kicker in the NFL and atrocious return teams
3) Benching Schaub for Yates. Then benching Yates for Keenum. Then benching Keenum for Schaub. Then benching Schaub for Keenum. Wtf?
4) Sick and needs to remain in the box during games

I hate to put #4 in there, but it's a liability now. A good coach is on the field at game time. If he isn't well enough to do that, I am very sad for him -- but reality is reality.

infantrycak
11-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Not a chance. I would have fired Kubiak already if I was McNair. It shows a loser's mentality to keep him around.

Then I guess every owner in the league has a loser's mentality since mid-season firings are rare.

chicagotexan2
11-25-2013, 11:31 PM
I believe in Kubiak less than I believe in Schaub because Kubiak still believed in Schaub. I wish it had worked out for Kubiak here especially because he's a Houstonian. I thought he was a solid HC but everything got away from him and he's crashed and burned in houston.

texanhead08
11-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I don't believe in Kubiak, Smith, Schaub, and Phillips is on thin ice to me.

Big Lou
11-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I believed in Kubes too long. I wavered on him in 2010, but believed in him when the offense started rolling in 2011. He has lost this team, and Wade has lost his shine as many pointed out with his past turn arounds, I won't discuss what we call ST.

It's time for a new coach a new QB for that coach. I'd give Rick more time to see how he handles a new coach and new schemes. My only concern (my only concern, but it has to change at some point) is changing offensive schemes and the retooling of the online, although it needs to be blown up anyway.

I just hope their are coaches out there that can do what the Harbaughs have, which pains mean because I loathe the Harbaughs.

phantom17
11-25-2013, 11:54 PM
We need a new regime! Kubiak needs to go or it will be more of the same CRAP!

Txn_in_FL
11-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Maybbbbeee myabbbeee if we win out and show we can beat dees elite teams in Denver pats and colts and wipe out ten and jags on the road then IDK but we will see

Didn't you bring up the win-out idea in another thread?

If they win the rest of their games it will just piss me off more. Where was this team and coach capable of winning games when it mattered? Now that you're fighting for your job you decide to call good games and put a good product on the field?

Screw that.

Winning out does nothing but keep the status quo for another year.

TejasTom
11-26-2013, 12:14 AM
http://img.trustcollective.com/bent/ddp2.jpg

Nawzer
11-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Never believed in him as THE guy. He needs to go ASAP.

WolverineFan
11-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Kubiak has a great offensive mind and was a pretty good OC at one point. But he's a horrible Head Coach. He needs to be fired although I'd like for him to remain as OC. But that's never going to happen. It's time to for him to go. His scheme has it's advantages, but he is supposed to be the HC not just the OC.

MEGA SWATT
11-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Then I guess every owner in the league has a loser's mentality since mid-season firings are rare.

Yes. Owners care about money. Winning is gravy.

Vance87
11-26-2013, 02:31 AM
I believe that he will be fired.

Norg
11-26-2013, 02:37 AM
man right about now im feeling really depressed about my team and ya know losing sucks ....I just want this season to be over

and u know what scares me I feel our team has lost all hope maybe we are tanking maybe we are trying but we know even our best isn't good enough and maybe we are just bruised and battered

and u know what worries me is two elite teams are coming IN Denver and Pats ...and man I really hope we don't get beaten 2 bad by them I would hate to have a 40 burger layed on us

It just sucks right now

phantom17
11-26-2013, 03:30 AM
HELL NO.

- I want a coach who trusts his quarterback to be able to fully audible at the line of scrimmage. I want a coach who has the ability to employ a no huddle offense. Its a sad situation to see in year 2013 of the nfl where your offense cant do a no huddle, cant audible and your QB cant freely change plays at the line of scrimmage.

- I want a coach who is up to date with the rest of the nfl landscape and not on some arrogant i dont need to change my system works fine the way it is mentality.

- I want a coach who holds everybody accountable. Doesnt give exemptions to special teams coaches or lousy quarterbacks.

- I want a coach who doesnt employ draconian zero tolerance policies. This is a football team, not political office or the boy scouts. I want a coach who values athletic talent over perfect behavior. I want a coach who can give his players a second chance instead of cutting the cord as soon as they make one mistake on or off the field.

-Last but not least, i want a coach with guts, a true backbone. I guy with charisma and personality. A coach who is not afraid to go for a score before halftime ends. A coach who has the courage to look at a crucial field goal. A coach who goes for the jugular, a coach who goes for the win, not playing not to lose.

Well said!:swatter:

bckey
11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Nope.

HJam72
11-26-2013, 08:13 AM
That he can get back to 12-4 in a few years, yes. That he is our best chance to win a Superbowl, no.

IlliniJen
11-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Kubiak has a great offensive mind and was a pretty good OC at one point. But he's a horrible Head Coach. He needs to be fired although I'd like for him to remain as OC. But that's never going to happen. It's time to for him to go. His scheme has it's advantages, but he is supposed to be the HC not just the OC.

Can someone explain to me how he's a great offensive mind, yet utterly predictable as a play caller? How does this gel?

Honoring Earl 34
11-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Can someone explain to me how he's a great offensive mind, yet utterly predictable as a play caller? How does this gel?

Would a top notch auto mechanic in the 70's be a top notch mechanic today ?

BullNation4Life
11-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Still believe in him? Who really believed in him in the first place? Now granted I thought he could get it done in the first few years, but after year 4 and it was the same thing, over and over, the belief dwindled.

After 2010, the belief became a myth and it was time for him to go...

BullNation4Life
11-26-2013, 10:33 AM

He is not, he just had a great QB that made him look like one....

Tis called fools gold, kinda like Fools Gold Phillips....

santo
11-26-2013, 10:38 AM
I want a new Gm and a new head coach. I envy the patriots, because I wish our organization was like that. Fearless and relentless. But I'm afraid the problem is the owner.

Exascor
11-26-2013, 11:35 AM
HELL NO.

- I want a coach who trusts his quarterback to be able to fully audible at the line of scrimmage. I want a coach who has the ability to employ a no huddle offense. Its a sad situation to see in year 2013 of the nfl where your offense cant do a no huddle, cant audible and your QB cant freely change plays at the line of scrimmage.

- I want a coach who is up to date with the rest of the nfl landscape and not on some arrogant i dont need to change my system works fine the way it is mentality.

- I want a coach who holds everybody accountable. Doesnt give exemptions to special teams coaches or lousy quarterbacks.

- I want a coach who doesnt employ draconian zero tolerance policies. This is a football team, not political office or the boy scouts. I want a coach who values athletic talent over perfect behavior. I want a coach who can give his players a second chance instead of cutting the cord as soon as they make one mistake on or off the field.

-Last but not least, i want a coach with guts, a true backbone. I guy with charisma and personality. A coach who is not afraid to go for a score before halftime ends. A coach who has the courage to look at a crucial field goal. A coach who goes for the jugular, a coach who goes for the win, not playing not to lose.So who hasn't had a second chance after making a mistake? Some undrafted FAs and a unmotivated draft pick? Do you know if this was their first offense? Basically, it sounds like you want a coach to fire/bench people that have performed well in the past that you see as underperforming and keep players you see as having potential but having done anything good yet. Accountability should be on a sliding scale. UDFAs have a much shorter leash that the starting QB does. So does a backup RB that fumbles or a rookie WR2 that runs the wrong routes. If you are talking about drafting players with "questionable" marks against them, would you like to go through the lists of busts of players like that? I wanted Alfonzo Dennard and would gladly have taken Juston Blackmon. We took Sam Montgomery. Look at them now. It's all risk/reward. Marciano should have been gone years ago though.

As for your other points, I agree with them for the most part. I don't think Kubiak has any "trust" issues with Schaub. He just runs the system he was taught and developed which ties into your 2nd point. The last point is also just pointing to your 2nd point. Kubiak's system gives him the odds on plays being successful and he generally follows that. That's the George Seifert way. Most people that want Kubiak gone (before this season anyways) just don't like his system. This year his (and Phillips) system has show how outdated it really is.

Time for a change. Let's hope it ends up better and not worse.

cstyle42
11-26-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't respect Kubiak as a decision maker or head coach...

drs23
11-26-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't respect Kubiak as a decision maker or head coach...

...because he's a racist... :stirpot:

kiwitexansfan
11-26-2013, 06:02 PM
I like Kubiak, expect him to have success somewhere else when he finishes up here.

I think it's time to change though.

Double Barrel
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, this 2-9 team reflects Kubiak's 8 years as head coach. I do not mean this as an insult, but 8 years into it, we should not be the worst team in the NFL.

I certainly appreciate the positives that he has achieved with this team, but I think this on-going 9 game losing streak and everything that it entails is an obvious sign that this team needs a new direction.

Hopefully, the next coach can build on the good things that Kubiak did for the franchise. Regardless of what you think about his tenure, the fact remains that this franchise never had a winning season before he arrived. And don't act like it was a "sure thing" with any coach, because the Saints first 20 years in the league proves otherwise.

Thorn
11-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Very true DB. For whatever anyone wants to say about Kubiak (including myself) he was an improvement over Capers.

Now, once again, it's time to move on. Nothing says the next coach is going to be our savior, but at least it'll be a different coach.

DX-TEX
11-26-2013, 07:07 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/kubiakfire_zpsb297c39e.gif (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/MechDX/media/kubiakfire_zpsb297c39e.gif.html)

Anymore questions?

TheMatrix31
11-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I like Kubiak, expect him to have success somewhere else when he finishes up here.

Sums up my thoughts.

handswarmer
11-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately, this 2-9 team reflects Kubiak's 8 years as head coach. I do not mean this as an insult, but 8 years into it, we should not be the worst team in the NFL.

I certainly appreciate the positives that he has achieved with this team, but I think this on-going 9 game losing streak and everything that it entails is an obvious sign that this team needs a new direction.

Hopefully, the next coach can build on the good things that Kubiak did for the franchise. Regardless of what you think about his tenure, the fact remains that this franchise never had a winning season before he arrived. And don't act like it was a "sure thing" with any coach, because the Saints first 20 years in the league proves otherwise.

Sometimes the message gets stale after a bunch of years; it did with Billick up here. Glad Jason Garret turned us down.

Sometimes its the second choice who will work harder than the 1st guy. Although working for Jerr-uh! makes it hard.....

Khari
11-26-2013, 09:45 PM
i just wanted to post the Monkees again...

http://eil.com/images/main/The+Monkees+%2D+I%27m+A+Believer%3A+The+Best+Of+Th e+Monkees+%2D+DOUBLE+CD-419168.jpg

Wolf
11-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Marciano believes in Kubiak :kitten:

SchaubApologist
11-26-2013, 10:37 PM

expecting kubiak to have "success"... :spin:

Lucky
11-27-2013, 01:28 AM
9 game losing streaks are also rare.

infantrycak
11-27-2013, 03:02 AM
9 game losing streaks are also rare.

Does 1-10 with the win in week 3 actually make you more likely to keep a HC?

Four teams with 2-14 records the last two seasons, one with a 13 game losing streak. None of the HC's fired mid-season.

Lucky
11-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Four teams with 2-14 records the last two seasons, one with a 13 game losing streak. None of the HC's fired mid-season.
But, they all were fired. And what benefit was there from keeping them through the season? I think the Texans can benefit from cutting Kubiak loose now. McNair can bring in a consultant (like he did in 2005 with Dan Reeves) and "scout" the team. He could contact prospective coaches that are not currently employed in the NFL. I don't think McNair would do this if Kubiak is still with the team.

What's the compelling reason to keep Kubiak until the sure to be bitter end? Because "it's rarely done" isn't a good reason in of itself. It's absolutely the right thing to do. The Texans can continue to lose just fine without Kubiak up in the pressbox.

DexmanC
11-27-2013, 07:54 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/kubiakfire_zpsb297c39e.gif (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/MechDX/media/kubiakfire_zpsb297c39e.gif.html)

Anymore questions?

Now, just toss that pic into a dumpster full of mattresses and you'll have the perfect representation of this season.

welsh texan
11-27-2013, 08:13 AM
But, they all were fired. And what benefit was there from keeping them through the season? I think the Texans can benefit from cutting Kubiak loose now. McNair can bring in a consultant (like he did in 2005 with Dan Reeves) and "scout" the team. He could contact prospective coaches that are not currently employed in the NFL. I don't think McNair would do this if Kubiak is still with the team.

What's the compelling reason to keep Kubiak until the sure to be bitter end? Because "it's rarely done" isn't a good reason in of itself. It's absolutely the right thing to do. The Texans can continue to lose just fine without Kubiak up in the pressbox.

Is it because you can't install a new playbook midseason and the guy who wrote the playbook is the best person to coach it?

Can it harm the players to be coached to do the wrong things within the same playbook?

I'm just asking here, don't know just seems like there could be drawbacks, especially for younger players.

Guess you are also best getting kubiaks end of season report on who's done what in terms of execution of what he's trying to get them to do?

Exascor
11-27-2013, 09:12 AM

What's the compelling reason to keep Kubiak until the sure to be bitter end? Because "it's rarely done" isn't a good reason in of itself. It's absolutely the right thing to do. The Texans can continue to lose just fine without Kubiak up in the pressbox.I just don't get this at all. There's no way you are going to hire a replacement head coach until after the season unless he is on the staff already. Hopefully they have ALL been eliminated already. If they have, firing Kubiak would only put pressure/extra work on one of the assistants to take over. Worst outcome would be clouding a decision that has already been made to fire everyone. Best outcome is what exactly?

So you want to bring in a consultant like Dan Reeves? How did that work out last time? Nobody knows what Reeves said to McNair but...Carr was kept and Kubiak was hired.

Bottom line: Unless you want to evaluate the current staff for potential head coach candidates or the lame duck coach is a cancer (and of all of Kubiak's flaws, that is NOT one), you keep the lame duck coach until the end of the season.

infantrycak
11-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Rarely done is shorthand for the real world judgment of owners who have collectively been through this decision hundreds of times and who do not find your reasoning to be "absolutely the right thing to do." Your proposed benefits don't pan out in the real world or that wouldn't be the case.

Double Barrel
11-27-2013, 12:22 PM
The only way that I see firing mid-season works is if the owner plans to promote from within the current staff.

And since I think the owner should clean the entire house, let Kubiak wallow in it and suffer the losing streak with his players.

Captains go down with the ship, and so should head coaches with the teams they built. JMO

Say Watt
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
The only way that I see firing mid-season works is if the owner plans to promote from within the current staff.

And since I think the owner should clean the entire house, let Kubiak wallow in it and suffer the losing streak with his players.

Captains go down with the ship, and so should head coaches with the teams they built. JMO

I will say this. The one hope I can glean from McNair not firing Kubiak by now is that he must not even be giving consideration to giving the job to Wade. Honestly, I think that would have set this team back for years. If he truly was thinking about going that route, I think Kubiak would have been gone by now and Wade would be the interim head coach.

Double Barrel
11-27-2013, 12:38 PM
I will say this. The one hope I can glean from McNair not firing Kubiak by now is that he must not even be giving consideration to giving the job to Wade. Honestly, I think that would have set this team back for years. If he truly was thinking about going that route, I think Kubiak would have been gone by now and Wade would be the interim head coach.

I agree. I also think that firing mid-season is not the so-called "Texans way" (i.e. the McNair way of doing business).

And I'm okay with that.

Of course, okay as long as they clean house at the end of the season.

It is obvious to me that the coaches are losing the players now. The words coming out of the locker room show divisions between units, and individuals making both cryptic and blatant remarks indicate that the end is near. Heck, like Antonio Smith said, he's seen coaches get fired for less.

McNair has always kept his cards close to his chest. But if fans are feeling the frustration, I can only imagine what's going through his mind to see his franchise meltdown in front of his eyes. I think the fall from grace has been much greater than 2005, because we had a playoff team last year that entered the current season with high expectations. This has been a 180 from hope to hell.

Thorn
11-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Unless McNair is even stupider than we thought and Kubiak and everyone else is all back here next year.

Double Barrel
11-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Unless McNair is even stupider than we thought and Kubiak and everyone else is all back here next year.

I don't think McNair is stupid, and I would honestly be mindblown if he did such a thing.

He has no goodwill with the fans right now. There will always be a foundation of appreciation for bringing the NFL back to Houston, but that's not going to do anything for the backlash if he trots this staff out there in 2014.

On-going 9 game losing streaks have a way of doing this to fans.

Honoring Earl 34
11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
I agree. I also think that firing mid-season is not the so-called "Texans way" (i.e. the McNair way of doing business).

And I'm okay with that.

Of course, okay as long as they clean house at the end of the season.

It is obvious to me that the coaches are losing the players now. The words coming out of the locker room show divisions between units, and individuals making both cryptic and blatant remarks indicate that the end is near. Heck, like Antonio Smith said, he's seen coaches get fired for less.

McNair has always kept his cards close to his chest. But if fans are feeling the frustration, I can only imagine what's going through his mind to see his franchise meltdown in front of his eyes. I think the fall from grace has been much greater than 2005, because we had a playoff team last year that entered the current season with high expectations. This has been a 180 from hope to hell.

A Texan flow chart would look like this .

Kubiak in deep poo >>>> McNair mad , heads will roll >>>> Bob decides he needs to draft a QB >>>> he needs a coach with a strong QB coach background >>>> he sifts through many candidates >>>> one coach has been with Elway , Young , and Plummer >>>> he decides on Kubiak .

infantrycak
11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Heck, like Antonio Smith said, he's seen coaches get fired for less.

Agree with your overall remarks.

Antonio is exaggerating however. He has seen 1 coach fired who was 6-10, 5-11 and 5-11.

TheMatrix31
11-27-2013, 01:26 PM
He's not. going. to. come. back. next. year.

Good God enough with the stupid posts like that.

I cannot WAIT for him to be fired simply to stop reading those types of posts. So trite.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18vdn5qirkoa8gif/k-bigpic.gif
:peek:

Porky
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
The problem with this organization isn't Kubiak. Kubes is just the symptom. The disease is Bob McNair.

TheMatrix31
11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
The problem with this organization isn't Kubiak. Kubes is just the symptom. The disease is Bob McNair.

Oh c'mon. That's just not rational. The team is Top 5 in franchise value, he instills a respectful, good culture of stability and class, and he spends a ****ton of money. And if it weren't for Bob McNair, the Houston Texans wouldn't even exist. Just because the Texans haven't won a Super Bowl in the first 11 years of existence doesn't mean McNair is a disease. You know how many other franchises haven't won in at least 11 years? Plenty.

Porky, you're awesome, but that's an insane statement.

Say Watt
11-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh c'mon. That's just not rational. The team is Top 5 in franchise value, he instills a respectful, good culture of stability and class, and he spends a ****ton of money. And if it weren't for Bob McNair, the Houston Texans wouldn't even exist. Just because the Texans haven't won a Super Bowl in the first 11 years of existence doesn't mean McNair is a disease. You know how many other franchises haven't won in at least 11 years? Plenty.

Porky, you're awesome, but that's an insane statement.

I agree. McNair's greatest problem is similar to that of Kubiak's: loyal to a fault. The guy just doesn't seem to know when to pull the plug, how to be fair but also tough with his coaches, or who to hire. It's too bad because he is a good man. What gives me hope is all of what you posted. If McNair can ever find the right person to run this organization, we will be a franchise to be reckoned with for years. So far, it just hasn't happened.

TheMatrix31
11-27-2013, 04:00 PM
And that's fine. We'll keep trying. I prefer stability over a revolving door in general. Kubiak has been here for way too long. He did his job in making the team move from its expansion, joke beginnings and a down year in 2013 doesn't change that. His ceiling here has been reached, and now we have to find someone to take the next step.

Double Barrel
11-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Antonio is exaggerating however. He has seen 1 coach fired who was 6-10, 5-11 and 5-11.

I was wondering about his statements. I saw the full interview, and I was curious about how many horrible teams he had been on to see so many firings.

I like Smith, but hyperbole is hyperbole.

McNair is not going anywhere, so if you think this is a disease-ridden franchise, perhaps Houston football is not for you.

Would you rather have a meddling owner like Jerry Jones? Or an inept owner who puts his business buddies in charge of operations like Bud Adams?

We knew going into the expansion team that McNair was a noob owner and there would be a learning curve. If this road is too tough for you as a fan, then golf might prove to be your style of sport to watch on Sundays.

houstonspartan
11-27-2013, 05:05 PM
I was wondering about his statements. I saw the full interview, and I was curious about how many horrible teams he had been on to see so many firings.

I like Smith, but hyperbole is hyperbole.

McNair is not going anywhere, so if you think this is a disease-ridden franchise, perhaps Houston football is not for you.

Would you rather have a meddling owner like Jerry Jones? Or an inept owner who puts his business buddies in charge of operations like Bud Adams?

We knew going into the expansion team that McNair was a noob owner and there would be a learning curve. If this road is too tough for you as a fan, then golf might prove to be your style of sport to watch on Sundays.

Well said and agree. I was annoyed that McNair kept Kubiak after 2010, but overall, he's been a decent owner.

And, as you said: The McNair's aren't going anywhere. Ever. Cal is being groomed for taking over down the line, and he'll be in charge for a good 25 years or so after that.

The McNair's have made mistakes in hiring but they seem like solid people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

A time to chill
11-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Just like Matt Schaub, Kubiak is done here in Houston. If he's brought back next year, there will be a mutiny among Texan fans and our best players will be looking for a way out. When Andre Johnson mouths off to Matt Schaub, says we suck as an offense, and says he's under contract when asked about wanting to stick with the Texans, there is something deeply wrong in that locker room. Kubiak has finally lost the team.

I would have made a case for a new head coach if Kubiak had repeated the same success of the last two years...win division, win wildcard, lose in divisional. However, by going 2-9 he has made it blatantly obvious that he is no longer qualified to be head coach. I think McNair's silence so far is pretty telling that he's going to make a change. It's not his style to fire a coach mid season, but that announcement is surely coming.

Lucky
11-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Is it because you can't install a new playbook midseason and the guy who wrote the playbook is the best person to coach it?

I'm not suggesting a new permanent coach be hired midseason. Just that firing Kubiak now could kick start the process.
Rarely done is shorthand for the real world judgment of owners who have collectively been through this decision hundreds of times and who do not find your reasoning to be "absolutely the right thing to do." Your proposed benefits don't pan out in the real world or that wouldn't be the case.
That's still not a reason. Those are examples. Which may not be analogous to the Texans situation. The decision to fire a coach is not always ready to be made in midseaon. That shouldn't be the case here. Kubiak is Dead Coach Walking. The only thing we're discussing is the date of the execution. There is no possible last minute pardon by Governer McNair, this time.

Again, can you give me a reason why Kubiak shouldn't be fired now?

Textan
11-28-2013, 10:51 AM
I still believe in Kubes ..... yes rick smith NO

but uhh I don't think hes making a good case for himself right now esp if we lose out

We finished the 2009 season with four meaningless wins in a row. This team will go no further with Kubiak at the helm. His play calling shows tendencies (predictability) teams now study and prepare for (ie) Seattle's interception to tie the game late, plus, what was it? four pick sixes in a row.
This team lacks discipline and focus, something I believe can be contributed 100% to Kubiak.
For a team to self destruct the way these Texans did the second half of last year and especially this year, there's no way anyone can say it's not Kubiaks fault.
He needs to be gone, along with Schaub.

Exascor
11-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Again, can you give me a reason why Kubiak shouldn't be fired now?Easy. As I said before, hopefully McNair wants to have an entirely new coaching staff.

Many of us see no benefit to firing Kubiak until the season ends. Seems like you just want Kubiak gone now as closure.

Lucky
11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Easy. As I said before, hopefully McNair wants to have an entirely new coaching staff.

As I said before, firing Kubiak now in no way precludes McNair from bringing in an entirely new coaching staff for the 2014 season. It only speeds up the process.

Lucky
11-28-2013, 11:14 AM
This team lacks discipline and focus, something I believe can be contributed 100% to Kubiak.

Don't forget leadership, which I believe is the heart of the problem.

Exascor
11-28-2013, 11:34 AM
As I said before, firing Kubiak now in no way precludes McNair from bringing in an entirely new coaching staff for the 2014 season. It only speeds up the process.

I just don't agree with it speeding up anything. He can call any candidates he wants that are available now to see if there's interest. If they aren't available he can't contact them yet. If he wants to hire a consultant he can any time he wants. Firing Kubiak now really doesn't change anything at all. Meh - just my opinion.

infantrycak
11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
That's still not a reason. Those are examples. Which may not be analogous to the Texans situation. The decision to fire a coach is not always ready to be made in midseaon. That shouldn't be the case here. Kubiak is Dead Coach Walking. The only thing we're discussing is the date of the execution. There is no possible last minute pardon by Governer McNair, this time.

Again, can you give me a reason why Kubiak shouldn't be fired now?

Fine you want to stomp on your toy to show you're mad. You're still waiting 'til Christmas for a new one.

Reasons have been given, primary among them being it accomplishes nothing. We can break that down into subsets (it won't make the players better, it won't make the new coaches better, etc.) of nothing if you want to have "more reasons" but it won't change the bottom line - it accomplishes nothing.

Another is it is considered rude or demeaning. McNair like most owners is not going to do that without an upside. That isn't an aww just be nice to Kubiak thing. How prospective coaches view the handling is also a consideration.

The sum of the examples is the owners do not see the benefit of stomping their toy early just to get out juvenile frustration.

Texian
11-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't see where there is anything to be gained by firing Kubiak in season. In fact IMHO it only muddies the water. The smart and prudent thing to do is wait until after the season. This doesn't prevent one from behind the scenes due diligence and negotiations. Patience is a Virtue.

Textan
11-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Texian= Patience is a Virtue.

It's a necessity if you're a long time Oilers fan and now a Texans fan.

Rey
11-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'd go ahead and fire kubiak now.

It'd be beneficial to all involved. Kubiak could get some rest and the texans could officially move on.

But kubiak not being fired makes me think they are considering letting these guys play out that last year of his deal. Maybe even bring Schaub back and say this season was just a fluke. Keep wade around...try to add some instant impact players via the draft.

It makes sense to have fired kubiak already if that's what McNair intended on doing. I think he's still considering keeping him around. Maybe not Schaub so much, but I do think it's possible kubiak is back.

acal21
11-28-2013, 04:14 PM

It'd be beneficial to all involved. Kubiak could get some rest and the texans could officially move on.

But kubiak not being fired makes me think they are considering letting these guys play out that last year of his deal. Maybe even bring Schaub back and say this season was just a fluke. Keep wade around...try to add some instant impact players via the draft.

It makes sense to have fired kubiak already if that's what McNair intended on doing. I think he's still considering keeping him around. Maybe not Schaub so much, but I do think it's possible kubiak is back.

I think the reason Kubiak hasn't been fired yet is because they don't want to keep wade around, if he's named interim head coach and wins some games do they keep him around? i don't want wade next year, not even as a defensive coordinator... maybe but no. i haven't looked at how well his defenses from the past are in getting turnovers but thats what wins you ball games... play tight in the redzone and get turnovers, maybe he gets it turned around but i don't know

Texecutioner
11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Fine you want to stomp on your toy to show you're mad. You're still waiting 'til Christmas for a new one.

Reasons have been given, primary among them being it accomplishes nothing. We can break that down into subsets (it won't make the players better, it won't make the new coaches better, etc.) of nothing if you want to have "more reasons" but it won't change the bottom line - it accomplishes nothing.

Another is it is considered rude or demeaning. McNair like most owners is not going to do that without an upside. That isn't an aww just be nice to Kubiak thing. How prospective coaches view the handling is also a consideration.

The sum of the examples is the owners do not see the benefit of stomping their toy early just to get out juvenile frustration.

I think most of us realize that McNair is still considering Kubiak for next season. That is why Kubiak is still here and I'm sure that you are pleased about that. The best thing for the Texans would be to get rid of Kubiak's mentality. It rubs off on the players.

Runner
11-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Kubiak: quarterback guru

Carries three quarterbacks on the roster after eight years of building the team.

Has no NFL ready quarterbacks on that roster.

I guess I don't believe.

infantrycak
11-28-2013, 08:40 PM
I think most of us realize that McNair is still considering Kubiak for next season. That is why Kubiak's is still here and I'm sure that you are pleased about that. The best thing for the Texans would be to get rid of Kubiak's mentality. It rubs off on the players.

Swing and a miss. I was discussing this assuming Kubiak will be fired. Not firing him mid-season does not mean he will be kept around or is even still in consideration.

Double Barrel
11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
In 2010, when fans were really rumbling about desire for change, McNair got ahead of it with very public statements supporting Kubiak.

The oft-quoted "ox stuck in a ditch" and "on the right track" were from that season, iirc.

This season...McNair has been very quiet. Nothing coming from him about a vote of confidence, no public mention of anything. Which leads me to believe that McNair is going to do what he has to do after the last game. Surgical strike that clears out the coaching staff. I'd be surprised if he gets rid of Rick Smith in the process. He's got to have someone that operates the team during transition and sets up the interviews.

Naija Texan
11-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Any faith he had was lost when they started Schaub and were blown out by the Rams because the Defense seemed to give up for a game and the offense was as it had been for most of the games this season was pitiful.

Way too many issues like assignments given to guys that really haven't earned anything in games, out right lying to the public and media. Most of my belief in Kubiak as a head coach and powerful voice in this organization has been washed away.

Lucky
11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
This season...McNair has been very quiet. Nothing coming from him about a vote of confidence, no public mention of anything. Which leads me to believe that McNair is going to do what he has to do after the last game. Surgical strike that clears out the coaching staff. I'd be surprised if he gets rid of Rick Smith in the process. He's got to have someone that operates the team during transition and sets up the interviews.
I don't know what McNair is thinking. This feels closer to 2005 than 2010. That McNair us not gettingout in front of this is troubling to me. This is about the time in the season that he brought in Reeves as a consultant. McNair to find someone besides Smith to help guide him through this. If he's under the illusion that Smithiak can fix this with more time....he's wrong.

dream_team
11-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Kubiak: quarterback guru

Carries three quarterbacks on the roster after eight years of building the team.

Has no NFL ready quarterbacks on that roster.

I guess I don't believe.

Another way to look at it is he took a QB that can't move, weak arm, slow release... and made him a 2 time pro-bowler that consistently passes over 4000 yards. The real question is did the FO give him enough talent at that position to work with?

Lucky
11-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Another way to look at it is he took a QB that can't move, weak arm, slow release... and made him a 2 time pro-bowler that consistently passes over 4000 yards. The real question is did the FO give him enough talent at that position to work with?

Schaub was hand picked by Kubiak. Blaming the qb problems on anyone but Kubiak is laughable.

Runner
11-29-2013, 05:18 PM

So your s suggestion is that he's had a known weak, limited quarterback for years. He catered the entire offense around hiding that quarterback's weaknesses, and he never develooed a replacement.

That doesn't sound any better to me.

TexansFight
11-29-2013, 05:21 PM
HELL NO.

-Last but not least, i want a coach with guts, a true backbone. I guy with charisma and personality. A coach who is not afraid to go for a score before halftime ends. A coach who has the courage to look at a crucial field goal. A coach who goes for the jugular, a coach who goes for the win, not playing not to lose.

Preach it brother. You have spoken the Gospel truth when it comes to Kubiak and his "coaching."

steelbtexan
11-29-2013, 05:48 PM

BoB doesn't want to pay that last yr of Gary's contract?

HJam72
11-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Funny, I suspect McNair is interviewing Jon Gruden right now. I don't know if that's who I'd want, but I suspect it.

McNair came out and defended Kubiak in 2010, but he's not been doing that this year. Not yet anyway...

Texian
11-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Some people act like it's their millions they're having to pay Kubiak and they really have no clue how many millions Bob really has. Hint: Bob has spent millions and millions more on race horses vs what he's paying Gary.

If you had to choose between what Bob has paid Gary vs what Bob has spent on racing, you would want the racing dollars.

Texian
11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Funny, I suspect McNair is interviewing Jon Gruden right now. I don't know if that's who I'd want, but I suspect it.

McNair came out and defended Kubiak in 2010, but he's not been doing that this year. Not yet anyway...

That's because Bob had a hold card in 2010 and Bob played that card at practice in mid December of 2010 when Bum showed up promoting Wade as the answer to the Texans Defense.

Double Barrel
11-30-2013, 02:00 AM
I don't know what McNair is thinking. This feels closer to 2005 than 2010. That McNair us not gettingout in front of this is troubling to me. This is about the time in the season that he brought in Reeves as a consultant. McNair to find someone besides Smith to help guide him through this. If he's under the illusion that Smithiak can fix this with more time....he's wrong.

Agree about the 2005 vibe. Maybe no Reeves-like consultant because he's been here before?

I can see him keeping Rick Smith, who McNair most likely sees as a solid GM. So look in the Shanahan/Bronco/49er tree for potential fruit. Networks sometimes reveal clues.

I just find it hard to accept that he'd see the team playing this bad and decide to keep Kubiak.

infantrycak
11-30-2013, 03:35 AM
Agree about the 2005 vibe. Maybe no Reeves-like consultant because he's been here before?

I can see him keeping Rick Smith, who McNair most likely sees as a solid GM. So look in the Shanahan/Bronco/49er tree for potential fruit. Networks sometimes reveal clues.

I just find it hard to accept that he'd see the team playing this bad and decide to keep Kubiak.

A resurrection name which has not been brought up is Steve Mariucci. WCO guy, college QB, QB coach, OC and HC college and pro. Was rumored to be interested in the San Diego Chargers job last year. If McNair believes the two biggest problems this year are QB and injuries he could be seen by McNair as slipping in easily probably without replacing Wade.

KA4Texan
11-30-2013, 04:35 AM

IMO, IF Kubiak hadn't lost the team he would be here next season. The fact he has lost this team tells me there is no way he can keep Kubiak unless McNair is a complete idiot. (I don't believe he is, maybe a bit too patient, but not an idiot.)

It's not just the fans he would anger, it would be his employees (players) as well. Unhappy employees makes for a bad business decision when your product IS your employees.

HJam72
11-30-2013, 05:27 AM
A resurrection name which has not been brought up is Steve Mariucci. WCO guy, college QB, QB coach, OC and HC college and pro. Was rumored to be interested in the San Diego Chargers job last year. If McNair believes the two biggest problems this year are QB and injuries he could be seen by McNair as slipping in easily probably without replacing Wade.

He also happens to be a big supporter of Johnny Manziel.

leebigeztx
11-30-2013, 06:39 AM

I duno how wade keeps his job. He's been terrible in his calls as well as use of people. Wade should be the 2nd to go behind kubes.

HJam72
11-30-2013, 07:58 AM
I duno how wade keeps his job. He's been terrible in his calls as well as use of people. Wade should be the 2nd to go behind kubes.

I dunno about that. We've had 2 good years out of his 3 on D. We also still lead the league in passing yards on D, which shows he's still doing something right while the team is falling apart around him. The offense has had way too many 3 and outs and the D gets exhausted in the 2nd half. I'd like to see him back off the man coverage some too, but I really don't think our D is the problem. Brady will make them look horrible Sunday, but what's Wade supposed to do about that without a healthy Cushing in the middle and an offense that packs it in every 2nd half of every game?

Another thing is nobody wanted JJ Watt, but Wade insisted on it, stood up, took the blame, and said, "This is a good football player." The rest is history.

infantrycak
11-30-2013, 01:08 PM

I am not advocating anything. I just think McNair will weigh dumping Wade a little more heavily than most coaching decisions.

dalemurphy
11-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I dunno about that. We've had 2 good years out of his 3 on D. We also still lead the league in passing yards on D, which shows he's still doing something right while the team is falling apart around him. The offense has had way too many 3 and outs and the D gets exhausted in the 2nd half. I'd like to see him back off the man coverage some too, but I really don't think our D is the problem. Brady will make them look horrible Sunday, but what's Wade supposed to do about that without a healthy Cushing in the middle and an offense that packs it in every 2nd half of every game?

Another thing is nobody wanted JJ Watt, but Wade insisted on it, stood up, took the blame, and said, "This is a good football player." The rest is history.

A defensive coordinator needs to be able to hide talent deficiencies and schematically make things challenging for good quarterbacks. Wade does neither of those things, as you just indicated. In today's NFL, defenses can't just line up and physically beat offenses. They are too disadvantaged. Wade did a lot of good, but he is clearly limited and not what is needed to win championships.

revan
11-30-2013, 02:38 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ee84ed19d5f1b1cbdecd05fde38f99aa/tumblr_mgztqjkqsm1qh2o7zo1_r1_500.gif

Texian
11-30-2013, 03:54 PM
I am not advocating anything. I just think McNair will weigh dumping Wade a little more heavily than most coaching decisions.

Agree, it was McNair's decision to hire Wade and it was Wade more than anyone else responsible for Bob' first visits to the playoffs. McNair also seems to have a soft spot for Marciano.

Texecutioner
11-30-2013, 07:52 PM
A defensive coordinator needs to be able to hide talent deficiencies and schematically make things challenging for good quarterbacks. Wade does neither of those things, as you just indicated. In today's NFL, defenses can't just line up and physically beat offenses. They are too disadvantaged. Wade did a lot of good, but he is clearly limited and not what is needed to win championships.

Why does Wade not get the 10 years to get this thing built that you wanted Kubiak to have? Just curious.

TheMatrix31
11-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Wade has had plenty of head coaching gigs elsewhere and a proven track record of failure wherever he's gone as a head coach. Kubiak didn't.

Just my guess.

dalemurphy
11-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Why does Wade not get the 10 years to get this thing built that you wanted Kubiak to have? Just curious.

He gets what he is given. It's not up to me.

I don't have optimism for Wade to grow into a coach that can win consistently for years and have multiple opportunities for championships. I was hopeful and saw signs that Kubiak was developing into a good head coach and was moving the team that direction. Despite that, I was fully prepared to move on from him in 2010 (hardly 10 years) and am certainly ready for it now (8 years, not 10)...

McNair was patient with Kubiak, believing similarly. McNair miscalculated. Why should I want him to repeat that mistake- simply because I was in agreement with his miscalculation earlier? As a parent, should I also encourage my children to repeat the same mistakes I made?

HJam72
12-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Let's just say Gruden is our next head coach, for argument's sake. With that said, I'd like to see Wade stay as DC, if possible. I have no desire to see Wade as HC. I think if Wade had one good MLB on the field and somebody running a halfway successful offense (that would actually stay on the field some) that his D would look really good again.

He's also had 1 bad year out of 3 and could always be replaced after another year.

Rey
12-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Id be ok, not thrilled with wade staying. Wades defense needs talent. Plain and simple. He puts guys in tough situations and asks them to be better than the opponent. It's fine when you have the horses, but when you're running guys like merciless, reed, mays, sharpton, keo, earl Mitchell and Brice McCain out there as starters you're going to struggle.

This team needs a real edge pass rusher or two...a mlb, a real NT, and some playmakers in the secondary.

Texecutioner
12-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Pretty strong answer I suppose. Assuming Kubiak is fired at the end of the season, are you going to want Mcnair to give a shorter leash to the next HC that gets hired after seeing how the unconditional patience in Kubiak backfired? I know that I will. I was with Kubiak though, especially after seeing what happened with Capers. After the Capers debacle I never understood why people wanted Kubiak to have all of this extra time that other coaches never seem to get. I really hopes this franchise learns from babying and coddling their coaches going forward.

Playoffs
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Kubiak will get another HC job and succeed. I imagine teams will battle for him, depending on what vacancies there are. I know the Broncos Pat Bowlen wants him back, but their coaching room is pretty full.

IMO, he's a top 5 OC. I think some organizational things went awry here, and that needs to be fixed.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Kubiak will get another HC job and succeed.
I doubt it...no leadership and old, slow system. League evolving, Kubiak stuck in the 90's

cstyle42
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Kubiak will get another HC job and succeed. I imagine teams will battle for him, depending on what vacancies there are. I know the Broncos Pat Bowlen wants him back, but their coaching room is pretty full.

IMO, he's a top 5 OC. I think some organizational things went awry here, and that needs to be fixed.

Kubiak is done dude.

Runner
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I haven't seen a "In Kubes We Trust" siggy in a long time. As I recall, they were popular while he hovered around the .500 mark season after season.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Rick Smith still believed....'till McNair told him to stop believing. It's all good now