PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 04:59 PM
:tomato: :texanbill:

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Cruel and unusual punishment.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:02 PM
has long has he does not wear # 8

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
I think the Texans should retire #8, and not for the usual reasons. It just never ends well...

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Cruel and unusual punishment.

LOL,

In all seriousness though... the sins of the brother shouldn't be passed onto the.. brother. All reports I've read is he's a student of the game (first to show up, last to leave) and he has all the tools his brother possessed and nobody is going to doubt David's physical tools, it was always his comintment and mental approach that held him back.

Me even bringing him up just shows how deathly scared I am of taking any of the QBs projected to guy high in this draft. I don't like Bridgewater, want NO PARTS OF MANZIEL, no Mariota. People keep talking about how deep the QB position is in this draft.. yes it's deep, but there is not a Andrew Luck, RG3, or Cam Newton. There's no clear cut ringer.

Derek Carr actually has the most NFL ready skill set and is the dark horse to sky rocket up the boards and might end up being the best player. If you just ignored the name and watched the tape, he does have NFL ready talent.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
If he's the clear cut #1 QB on the Texans board, then I have no problem with him being a Texan. Although I have to admit it would be a bit weird.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
There, I did your job for you.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Hey 2012champs... since I can't respond to you in the other thread..if they were doing their job, they would've just moved the thread. Something tells me if it didn't involve a "Carr", that thread would've simply been moved, not deleted altogether.

This season is OVER and as long as we have the #1 ovrl pick in the draft I don't see how any prospect is not relevant to the Texans as they now have the pick of the litter. It sure as hell beats the redundant threads that have been retreads for weeks on the Texans football forum.

Regardless though I'll admit I should've posted it here, but it should've been moved here as well. However this season is OVER.. all future discussion is not going to move on to who we should draft. Don't blame me or the people who now only care about that. Blame this sucktastic team, players, and franchise for saying SB or Bust.. and then letting the bottom fall out on route to the 1st pick in the freaking draft.

BTW, don't you ever get tired of calling yourself "2012champs".. we're now are coming off a horrible season heading into the 2014 football season, you're starting to look like some Uganda kid wearing a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl champions T-shirt.

TexansSeminole
11-24-2013, 05:21 PM
What is going on in this thread?:thinking:

Texian
11-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Carr Bombed is talking to himself.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:29 PM

I'll explain to you.. The thread was started in the wrong forum. Whatever Mod simply couldn't just move it.. so I reposted it with all the original responses.

I know it's confusing, I hope that clears it up.

And yes.. a bit of this thread comes from the complete frustration I'm feeling over this &%@&%# of a failure of a season, so please excuse me and cut me a little slack here. :) I might be having a little of a meltdown.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Carr Bombed is talking to himself.

Hey, I'm not talking to myself, there's plenty of other voices in my head pal. :foottap:

ATXtexanfan
11-24-2013, 05:35 PM
derek carr. cant go there

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
derek carr. cant go there

Honestly I can't go to Bridgewater, Mariota, or Manziel.. Why is it when we suck, there simply is no slam dunk prospect. Why?

powda
11-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Honestly I can't go to Bridgewater, Mariota, or Manziel.. Why is it when we suck, there simply is no slam dunk prospect. Why?

Matthews

Mr. White
11-24-2013, 05:48 PM
One big upside of getting another Carr on this team is having the family back here posting on the board again. I know how much we've all missed them.

mattieuk
11-24-2013, 05:51 PM
I'll explain to you.. The thread was started in the wrong forum. Whatever Mod simply couldn't just move it.. so I reposted it with all the original responses.

I know it's confusing, I hope that clears it up.

And yes.. a bit of this thread comes from the complete frustration I'm feeling over this &%@&%# of a failure of a season, so please excuse me and cut me a little slack here. :) I might be having a little of a meltdown.

Pfft. You just want your username to be relevant again!

(Well, not want a new QB to bomb, but you get what I mean).

eriadoc
11-24-2013, 05:51 PM
The combine will change a lot. I'm OK with any QB that's worth whatever pick is spent on him. If his name is Carr, so be it. And unlike the other posters, I would want him to wear #8. I have an idea for a jersey. :D

I'm not excited about Bridgewater or Mariotta. I think a lot of people are forcing that pick in their minds. He's not worth the top pick.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Matthews

That's where I'm leaning as well.. The problem is if we have the #1vrl pick this team might be pressured into taking QB and I think that'll be a mistake. The problem with this team lies along both lines. I'd go with Mathews or Clowney over any QB projected to go at the top of this draft.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Pfft. You just want your username to be relevant again!

(Well, not want a new QB to bomb, but you get what I mean).

My username became more relevant after he bombed...

Honestly I'm trying to separate his last name from his brother, because while he possesses the arm and athleticism, I believe he's not the same person and it's unfair to type cast a guy simply because his brother failed. He's not his brother. Supposedly the report on him is he's a gym rat.. he could be someone who has the skills, but has learned from his brother (from mistakes that even David later admitted were his fault).

All I'm saying the fact that I'm even considering him cast light on this upcoming QB draft. It's deep in potential, but there is NO top dog in this draft and if you separated the prospect from the name of "Carr"... Derek Carr actually looks like the best prospect coming out. He has every NFL skill set that you look for at that position.

Playoffs
11-24-2013, 06:07 PM
#1 pick overall, sell it to the highest bidder for Bridgewater?

Wolf6151
11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
#1 pick overall, sell it to the highest bidder for Bridgewater?

Agreed, trade down for a boat load of extra picks.

Carr Bombed
11-24-2013, 06:20 PM

If some team wants to offer up a war chest of picks I agree... my only issue is, teams usually only trade up for QBs.. and in this deep QB draft where the talent level doesn't really drop off from 1st to 2nd rounders in talent, is there really going to be a trading partner willing to trade up and offer a boat load of extra picks? In a draft that regardless of the depth, there is no clear cut cowbell. We don't even have a RG3 behind Andrew Luck that entices teams to hand over a farm.

Wolf6151
11-25-2013, 02:36 AM
If some team wants to offer up a war chest of picks I agree... my only issue is, teams usually only trade up for QBs.. and in this deep QB draft where the talent level doesn't really drop off from 1st to 2nd rounders in talent, is there really going to be a trading partner willing to trade up and offer a boat load of extra picks? In a draft that regardless of the depth, there is no clear cut cowbell. We don't even have a RG3 behind Andrew Luck that entices teams to hand over a farm.

The rankings and opinions on next years QB prospects will change alot after the season is over. Bowl season, Senior Bowl, the Combine, and personal workouts will redefine the list of QB's and hopefully a couple of them will distinguish themselves and make someone want to trade up for them. I'm thinking Bridegwater, Hundley, and Mariota will garner us a trading partner provided we don't do something stupid like starting to win games.

Corrosion
11-25-2013, 02:41 AM

I'd love to move to #3-5 from #1 pending I could swap firsts , get a #2 this year and a #1 next year. Then you can have your choice of Bridgeclownmathiota.

steelbtexan
11-25-2013, 03:00 AM
I'd love to move to #3-5 from #1 pending I could swap firsts , get a #2 this year and a #1 next year. Then you can have your choice of Bridgeclownmathiota.

And trade the 2013 picks to move up and get a better QB in 2014.

I would love to see Car#2 here

Rodger can run the new team too.

WolverineFan
11-25-2013, 12:35 PM
In a draft that regardless of the depth, there is no clear cut cowbell.

Bridgewater is clearly regarded as the #1 QB among the scouting community.

Sure, he's not Andrew Luck, but how often do guys like Luck come out? Luck was the first slam dunk QB prospect since Peyton so once every 10-15 years?

htownfan32
11-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Bridgewater is clearly regarded as the #1 QB among the scouting community.

Sure, he's not Andrew Luck, but how often do guys like Luck come out? Luck was the first slam dunk QB prospect since Peyton so once every 10-15 years?

This. We need to stop looking for the next Peyton Manning (and who wants that playoff choker, anyway? :D) and start looking for the next Rivers, Roethlisberger, etc. These are good-near elite QBs who can elevate their team's play. They don't have to be the next best HOFer passers but they are damn good and they are franchise QBs. That's what we need. A true 12 yr franchise QB.

eriadoc
11-25-2013, 01:25 PM
This. We need to stop looking for the next Peyton Manning (and who wants that playoff choker, anyway? :D) and start looking for the next Schaub.

FIFY. And consider that we just finished arguing the last couple seasons whether Schaub was elite or at least good enough to get the team to the Super Bowl. Screw that. I want a guy that clearly has a Manning sort of ceiling. I don't believe you have to get that guy in the first round, and he'll need development, but I do not care to shoot for second tier.

Aim higher. Take BEST player available, even if it isn't a QB.

Playoffs
11-25-2013, 01:44 PM
I think he's David Carr's brother
No he's not.
Yes he is.
Doesn't matter.
How's his golf game?
He's a very good golfer.
'Nuff said.
Arggggh!

http://www.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/something-different.gif

http://www.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/military-fairy.gif

Honoring Earl 34
11-25-2013, 01:47 PM

And trade the 2013 picks to move up and get a better QB in 2014.

I would love to see Car#2 here

Rodger can run the new team too.

What if the Browns offered both their #1s for the 1st overall ?

michaelm
11-25-2013, 02:21 PM
As I said in the other QB thread, I saw a couple of Fresno State games and came away very impressed with Derrick Carr.
I don't want to see the Texans draft him due to the history with his brother and potential fallout/distraction by some media and fans, but that guy looks like a hell of a QB. I think he's going to make a very good pro.

2012Champs
11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey 2012champs... since I can't respond to you in the other thread..if they were doing their job, they would've just moved the thread. Something tells me if it didn't involve a "Carr", that thread would've simply been moved, not deleted altogether.

This season is OVER and as long as we have the #1 ovrl pick in the draft I don't see how any prospect is not relevant to the Texans as they now have the pick of the litter. It sure as hell beats the redundant threads that have been retreads for weeks on the Texans football forum.

Regardless though I'll admit I should've posted it here, but it should've been moved here as well. However this season is OVER.. all future discussion is not going to move on to who we should draft. Don't blame me or the people who now only care about that. Blame this sucktastic team, players, and franchise for saying SB or Bust.. and then letting the bottom fall out on route to the 1st pick in the freaking draft.

BTW, don't you ever get tired of calling yourself "2012champs".. we're now are coming off a horrible season heading into the 2014 football season, you're starting to look like some Uganda kid wearing a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl champions T-shirt.

You are falling apart a little bit. Im not sure why you would start melting down but you may need to take a break from the internet. FWIW I dont get tired of a user name, Im not sure that I care much if it is current or how it relates to the season. Id say you are looking like a teen that isnt getting their way.

steelbtexan
11-25-2013, 11:18 PM
You are falling apart a little bit. Im not sure why you would start melting down but you may need to take a break from the internet. FWIW I dont get tired of a user name, Im not sure that I care much if it is current or how it relates to the season. Id say you are looking like a teen that isnt getting their way.

Thanks for being the wonderful moral compass that you are. (Sarcasm////)

Just remember BoB doesn't owe the fans anything. Do you still feel this way oh wise one?

steelbtexan
11-25-2013, 11:23 PM

Yes,

Then I do whatever it takes to be able to position myself to draft one of the top QB's in the 2015 draft. It's a higher end QB draft. This draft will have 1-2 QB's become 10 yr starters. I cant tell you which ones they will be.

Give me Hogan in 2015 over any QB in this draft.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for being the wonderful moral compass that you are. (Sarcasm////)

Just remember BoB doesn't owe the fans anything. Do you still feel this way oh wise one?

That post had nothing to do with moral compass so Im not sure where you are going. Bob doesnt owe the fans anymore than having a team here. Thats what you've got, a full season of games and you arent owed some level of performance you think you are entitled to

htownfan32
11-26-2013, 10:29 AM
FIFY. And consider that we just finished arguing the last couple seasons whether Schaub was elite or at least good enough to get the team to the Super Bowl. Screw that. I want a guy that clearly has a Manning sort of ceiling. I don't believe you have to get that guy in the first round, and he'll need development, but I do not care to shoot for second tier.

Aim higher. Take BEST player available, even if it isn't a QB.

So you're down to wait another 10 years? Mannings don't come along often. Roethlisberger's got one more ring than Manning does, I'll tell you that.

Vinny
11-26-2013, 10:53 AM
So you're down to wait another 10 years? Mannings don't come along often. Roethlisberger's got one more ring than Manning does, I'll tell you that.
I think he is saying he wants an elite prospect instead of a fixer-upper. They aren't a dime a dozen but it's not a decade wait between them.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 11:00 AM
That post had nothing to do with moral compass so I'm not sure where you are going. Bob doesn't owe the fans anymore than having a team here. Thats what you've got, a full season of games and you aren't owed some level of performance you think you are entitled to

First, that post was full of crap.. and 2012, it will be two full years before we get the earliest chance to win a championship

Second, Bob owes the fans and consumers of his product (who according to Forbes has made his franchise one of the highest valued team in the league) a lot more than just serving up crap and just having a team here. If you're just a mindless paying customer that doesn't expect some "level of performance" than you are nothing, but a freaking sucker willing to throw away a dollar in his pocket...

BTW, anybody who named themselves "2012Champs" obviously felt like "some level of performance was entitled to them". :rolleyes: If you didn't your name would be 2012Chumps

HJam72
11-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Even if it happens, I'm not buying a Carr jersey ever.

This would also really make the Texans a joke if he did bust... Just sayin'.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Even if it happens, I'm not buying a Carr jersey ever.

This would also really make the Texans a joke if he did bust... Just sayin'.

They kind of are already a joke aren't they? When your owner comes out and says "SB or bust" in a year where you end up having the worst record in the entire league earned by losing to the previous worst team in the league at home, you are already the butt of all jokes aren't you?

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 11:20 AM
First, that post was full of crap.. and 2012, it will be two full years before we get the earliest chance to win a championship

And what? Thanks for your guess as to the timeframe but that has nothing to do with anything I said

Second, Bob owes the fans and consumers of his product (who according to Forbes has made his franchise one of the highest valued team in the league) a lot more than just serving up crap and just having a team here. If you're just a mindless paying customer that doesn't expect some "level of performance" than you are nothing, but a freaking sucker willing to throw away a dollar in his pocket...

Bob doesnt owe you any level of performance. Performance wasnt some factor in getting a team here or keeping it here. Chances are people will keep throwing the money at it as they have done in the past

BTW, anybody who named themselves "2012Champs" obviously felt like "some level of performance was entitled to them". :rolleyes: If they didn't your name would be 2012Chumps

We were champs in 2012 of the Afc South however I didnt feel entitled to anything, this is a game for entertainment purposes. If you feel entitled to some level of performance from a NFL or any other sports team for that matter I find that rather comical

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I think he is saying he wants an elite prospect instead of a fixer-upper. They aren't a dime a dozen but it's not a decade wait between them.

Yep, What I meant is there's no clear cut #1 QB in this draft and while it's a deep draft, the talent level/potential doesn't drop off from the #1 QB taken at the top of the draft from QBs taken in the second round.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
And what? Thanks for your guess as to the timeframe but that has nothing to do with anything I said

Bob doesnt owe you any level of performance. Performance wasnt some factor in getting a team here or keeping it here. Chances are people will keep throwing the money at it as they have done in the past

We were champs in 2012 of the AFc South however I didn't feel entitled to anything, this is a game for entertainment purposes. If you feel entitled to some level of performance from a NFL or any other sports team for that matter I find that rather comical

LMAO.. that's like claiming your first kiss was a kiss with your sister. The fact that you even prop up a Divisional championship is what I find comical. And yes, a certain level of performance IS EXPECTED if it wasn't no coaches would ever be fired from a NFL or any other sports team ever.

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Let me go on the record,

I would rather not have a team in Houston than have the product that is currently being thrown out on the field. I'm sure 2012 feels differently.

But if everybody pulled a either do everything you can BoB to put a winner on the field or get out of town, like we did with Bud. Then I'm sure things would truly change down on Kirby.

It looks like that may have to happen or BoB retire/die for change to happen.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 11:31 AM
LMAO.. that's like claiming your first kiss was a kiss with your sister. The fact that you even prop up a Divisional championship is what I find comical.

What comical is that your attempt to bring in a user name into any debate whatsoever as though it makes your point. I felt when I signed up that the division would be a lock for us its that simple. Its not about entitlement. You arent entitled to any level of performance from any sports team. Come down to reality and get over yourself if you think otherwise

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Let me go on the record,

I would rather not have a team in Houston than have the product that is currently being thrown out on the field. I'm sure 2012 feels differently.

But if everybody pulled a either do everything you can BoB to put a winner on the field or get out of town, like we did with Bud. Then I'm sure things would truly change down on Kirby.

In mass you arent going to pull a "do everything you can or get out of town bob" no matter how many times you type BoB on this site. Given the option more people would rather have a team in town vs not having one at all.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 11:44 AM
What comical is that your attempt to bring in a user name into any debate whatsoever as though it makes your point. I felt when I signed up that the division would be a lock for us its that simple. Its not about entitlement. You aren't entitled to any level of performance from any sports team. Come down to reality and get over yourself if you think otherwise

No.. it did make a point (which is what is comical about this debate) and it is entitlement

"I felt when I signed up that the division would be a lock for us its that simple"

Hell if you look up the definition of "entitlement" they might as well type what you did above. You created a name, because you felt "entitled" to win the division.. you had a expectation of a on the field level of performance... and felt entitled to certain results and a division championship. The only one who needs to snap back to reality and get over themselves here is you.

Your entire post is complete hypocrisy.

Exascor
11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Let me go on the record,

I would rather not have a team in Houston than have the product that is currently being thrown out on the field. Quoted for the wow. That is the definition of bandwagon.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 12:00 PM
No.. it did make a point (which is what is comical about this debate) and it is entitlement

"I felt when I signed up that the division would be a lock for us"

Hell if you look up the definition of "entitlement" they might as well type what you did above. You created a name, because you felt "entitled" to win the division.. you had a expectation of a on the field level of performance... and felt entitled to certain results and a division championship. The only one who needs to snap back to reality and get over themselves here is you.

Your entire post is complete hypocrisy.

Let me help you out with what entitlement actually means instead of your made up scenario

en·ti·tle·ment
noun \-ˈtī-təl-mənt\

: the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something

: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)

: a type of financial help provided by the government for members of a particular group

I did not have a right to a Division title

I did not have a feeling or belieg that I deserved to be given aything(Mind you, you do understand that the championship was the Texans and not mine correct?)

Nothing financial

expectation? let me help you with that too as it is not the same thing as entitled

ex·pec·ta·tion
noun \ˌek-ˌspek-ˈtā-shən, ik-\

: a belief that something will happen or is likely to happen

: a feeling or belief about how successful, good, etc., someone or something will be

I had an expectation that Texans would take the south. I also have an expectation that tax rates will go up. Does that mean I feel entitled to higher tax rates? It is either obvious these are facts or a mental disorder is working overtime here

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Let me help you out with what entitlement actually means instead of your made up scenario

I did not have a right to a Division title

I did not have a feeling or belieg that I deserved to be given aything(Mind you, you do understand that the championship was the Texans and not mine correct?)

Nothing financial

expectation? let me help you with that too as it is not the same thing as entitled

I had an expectation that Texans would take the south. I also have an expectation that tax rates will go up. Does that mean I feel entitled to higher tax rates? You either are obvious to these facts or a mental disorder is working overtime here

LMAO.. and who needs to unplug from the internet now?

You actually posting the definition of entitlement proved exactly what I said.

Hence.. feeling or belief.. what's short for feeling, oh "felt" you "felt the division would be a lock" You felt "entitled" to it. Can you please cut the crap here.

especially with this..

"(Mind you, you do understand that the championship was the Texans and not mine correct?)"

Thank you captain obvious, :rolleyes: When a fan watches his team win the SB they don't expect to take home the freaking Lombardi trophy or expect to receive a ring in the mail either.

TexansSeminole
11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
These rants and strange debates are railroading every thread in the draft forum. Nobody cares about y'all's little debate. Take it to a PM or something. I don't want to sift through 2 pages of ranting ridiculousness when trying to read a thread.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 12:26 PM
LMAO.. and who needs to unplug from the internet now?

You actually posting the definition of entitlement proved exactly what I said.

Hence.. feeling or belief.. what's short for feeling, oh "felt" you "felt the division would be a lock" You felt "entitled" to it. Can you please cut the crap here.

especially with this..

"(Mind you, you do understand that the championship was the Texans and not mine correct?)"

Thank you captain obvious, :rolleyes: When a fan watches his team win the SB they don't expect to take home the freaking Lombardi trophy or expect to receive a ring in the mail either.

I didnt feel I deserved or had a right to anything. Do you think I feel entitled to higher taxes?

expecation vs entitlement. Read for yourself you clearly are having issues

Texecutioner
11-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Why would anyone want another Carr here? Good lord that is crazy. Never would I go down that road again with another Carr, Shanahan, Capers, Kubiak, or a Schaub. Just bad karma all around.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 12:30 PM
These rants and strange debates are railroading every thread in the draft forum. Nobody cares about y'all's little debate. Take it to a PM or something. I don't want to sift through 2 pages of ranting ridiculousness when trying to read a thread.

This thread started off as a silly rant. Its not causing any of the other threads to fall off the first page so just ignore it as there isnt any content within anyhow

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 12:33 PM

I didn't fire the first shot. If he wants to P.M.me then that's fine. This is just a precursor of what will happen to anybody who has a negative opinion of "Johnny football"

Which is why I originally said it's going to be a fun offseason and it's 2006 all over again.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Why would anyone want another Carr here? Good lord that is crazy. Never would I go down that road again with another Carr, Shanahan, Capers, Kubiak, or a Schaub. Just bad karma all around.

If the kid can play.. I'll take him and I don't give a crap about his last name.

Peyton is Brady's prison girlfriend, but his little brother has denied him of two SB rings.

If the guy can play, who care's if he's David's brother.

eriadoc
11-26-2013, 12:38 PM

What Vinny said.

Yep, What I meant is there's no clear cut #1 QB in this draft and while it's a deep draft, the talent level/potential doesn't drop off from the #1 QB taken at the top of the draft from QBs taken in the second round.

Yep. And I'll tell you what I think - we're going to need another QB after the 2014 draft anyway, because whoever they pick, they're not going to be The One. Franchise QBs aren't available every draft, so don't force it. Of course, everyone here thinks we should force it, so whatever. Personally, I can see at least a couple franchise QB prospects coming out next year, but do not see one at all this year. Looking back:

2013: no true franchise prospect

2012: one real no brainer, and then the overblown hype bout RGIII, who I like but do not buy into long term because of his style. In retrospect, Russell Wilson might be the 2nd best QB from that class long term, but no one tabbed him as a true franchise QB prospect.

2011: Cam Newton was the only no brainer, AFAIC

2010: Sam Bradford was considered to be that pro-ready, franchise QB prospect - perhaps not to the talent level of a guy like Luck, but a guy that could be built around. No one else.

2009: Stafford.

2008: Matt Ryan.

Could go on, but you get the point. There's usually (not always) one consensus franchise caliber QB prospect. They're usually taken in the top few picks. Whether or not they pan out is a different subject. But the overriding point is unless you get a top pick in a year that happens to have one of those, you're either forcing the issue and hoping it pans out, or you're developing one from a later round (Wilson, GSmith, Foles, Cousins, Dalton, etc.). That's not any more ht or miss than the top round picks when you look at bust rates, TBH.

I just don't want to see the team force a pick on a QB just because they have a top pick and they need a QB. If the QB isn't there at the top of the first round (there isn't, IMO), then take BPA and grab a QB in the 2nd-4th round. I feel like McCarron, Murray (before injury), Mettenberger, Carr, and maybe another one or two QBs could turn out to be just as good as Bridgewater from this draft. I don't see any of them turning out to be the next Luck, Manning, or even Matt Ryan, but hey, you never know. I just don't see the reward for the risk of a top pick.

JMO.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I didnt feel I deserved or had a right to anything. Do you think I feel entitled to higher taxes?

expecation vs entitlement. Read for yourself you clearly are having issues

Please stop blowing smoke up people's rear ends

In your own words.. "you felt" (are we really going to get in a discussion over feelings and felt?) Houston would lock up the division... You felt a sense of entitlement.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 12:43 PM
What Vinny said.

Yep. And I'll tell you what I think - we're going to need another QB after the 2014 draft anyway, because whoever they pick, they're not going to be The One. Franchise QBs aren't available every draft, so don't force it. Of course, everyone here thinks we should force it, so whatever. Personally, I can see at least a couple franchise QB prospects coming out next year, but do not see one at all this year. Looking back:

2012: one real no brainer, and then the overblown hype bout RGIII, who I like but do not buy into long term because of his style. In retrospect, Russell Wilson might be the 2nd best QB from that class long term, but no one tabbed him as a true franchise QB prospect.

2010: Sam Bradford was considered to be that pro-ready, franchise QB prospect - perhaps not to the talent level of a guy like Luck, but a guy that could be built around. No one else.

Could go on, but you get the point. There's usually (not always) one consensus franchise caliber QB prospect. They're usually taken in the top few picks. Whether or not they pan out is a different subject. But the overriding point is unless you get a top pick in a year that happens to have one of those, you're either forcing the issue and hoping it pans out, or you're developing one from a later round (Wilson, GSmith, Foles, Cousins, Dalton, etc.). That's not any more ht or miss than the top round picks when you look at bust rates, TBH.

I just don't want to see the team force a pick on a QB just because they have a top pick and they need a QB. If the QB isn't there at the top of the first round (there isn't, IMO), then take BPA and grab a QB in the 2nd-4th round. I feel like McCarron, Murray (before injury), Mettenberger, Carr, and maybe another one or two QBs could turn out to be just as good as Bridgewater from this draft. I don't see any of them turning out to be the next Luck, Manning, or even Matt Ryan, but hey, you never know. I just don't see the reward for the risk of a top pick.

JMO.

(2012) Andrew Luck?

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Please stop blowing smoke up people's rear ends

In your own words.. "you felt" (are we really going to get in a discussion over feelings and felt?) Houston would lock up the division... You felt a sense of entitlement.

you clearly dont understand what entitlement means

I feel that interest rates will go up
I feel that taxes will go up
I feel that you understand clearly the difference but cant admit you were wrong

None of that nor my expectation that the texans would win the south are entitlement

eriadoc
11-26-2013, 12:56 PM
(2012) Andrew Luck?

The one real no brainer I referenced.

Hervoyel
11-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Let me go on the record,

You may be right but I'm never playing chicken again with an NFL owner and I couldn't in good conscience recommend that any other fan or fans do so.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 01:06 PM
you clearly dont understand what entitlement means

I feel that interest rates will go up
I feel that taxes will go up
I feel that you understand clearly the difference but cant admit you were wrong

None of that nor my expectation that the texans would win the south are entitlement

Again...

Stop trying to blow smoke us people's asses When you create a freaking handle based solely on your expectation that your team "will lock down a division" you "expect" results and a certain level of play.. you can try to spin the definitions any way you want to, but again you're just blowing smoke.

Texan fans shouldn't just be mindless drones with a dollar that they're willing to fork out, who are solely happy just to have football back in town regardless of the outcome on the field..

That's not why they will sign up on a internet message boards creating names like 2012Champs, because they expectations to lock down a division.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Again...

Stop trying to blow smoke us people's asses When you create a freaking handle based solely on your expectation that your team "will lock down a division" you "expect" results and a certain level of play.. you can try to spin the definitions any way you want to, but again you're just blowing smoke.

Texan fans shouldn't just be mindless drones with a dollar that they're willing to fork out, who are solely happy just to have football back in town regardless of the outcome on the field..

That's not why they will sign up on a internet message boards creating names like 2012Champs, because they expectations to lock down a division.

do you understand the expectations and entitlement are two different terms?

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 01:11 PM
The one real no brainier I referenced.

There was more no brainers than that.

my point is, there's no clear cut favorite in this draft.. There's no Luck, Stafford, of even Bradford. There's a boat load of 2nd tier QBs who haven't exactly separated themselves from the pack. If we (and we are) going to have a top pick, I'd rather take a elite prospect at another position and get a QB later.

Honoring Earl 34
11-26-2013, 01:14 PM
There was more no brainers than that.

my point is, there's no clear cut favorite in this draft.. There's no Luck, Stafford, of even Bradford. There's a boat load of 2nd tier QBs who haven't exactly separated themselves from the pack. If we (and we are) going to have a top pick, I'd rather take a elite prospect at another position and get a QB later.

Matt Miller of The Bleacher Reoprt said Teddy was the 2nd best QB he's ever scouted . Better than RG3 , Stafford . Bradford and so on ... FWIW .

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Matt Miller of The Bleacher Reoprt said Teddy was the 2nd best QB he's ever scouted . Better than RG3 , Stafford . Bradford and so on ... FWIW .

For the sake of this franchise I hope so, I just don't see it. His floor is high as hell (at worst he'll be solid), I just don't think there's much room between the floor and the ceiling. I really don't see any difference between someone like him and someone we wouldn't be able to grab later.

JB
11-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Let me go on the record,

For the record, letting Bud leave town had nothing to do with the w/l record of the team, or the team at all

Honoring Earl 34
11-26-2013, 01:28 PM
For the sake of this franchise I hope so, I just don't see it. His floor is high as hell (at worst he'll be solid), I just don't think there's much room between the floor and the ceiling.

That's the slippery slope . You play it safe and go with Mathews and Teddy becomes the real deal , you just set yourself back years .

Walter Football just came out with a new mock at noon and the Texans picked Clowney 2nd . I they had the Texans picking Boyd in the 2nd .

TexansSeminole
11-26-2013, 01:39 PM
If the kid can play.. I'll take him and I don't give a crap about his last name.

Peyton is Brady's prison girlfriend, but his little brother has denied him of two SB rings.

I tend to agree, but the lack of competition is a problem. If I am going to get a guy with mostly question marks on lack of competition, it's Bridgewater.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I tend to agree, but the lack of competition is a problem. If I am going to get a guy with mostly question marks on lack of competition, it's Bridgewater.

Who has Bridgewater played against? He's playing against the same level of competition Carr has. That's why in my eyes the tiebreaker is physical skills/talent and Carr wins there.

TexansSeminole
11-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Who has Bridgewater played against? He's playing against the same level of competition Carr has.

Well, he had that game against Florida. His competition is also better in conference, not by a whole lot but it's still better.

Regardless, that wasn't my point. My point was that Bridgewater looks more sure-fire than Carr does, although both have their question marks.

htownfan32
11-26-2013, 01:52 PM
What Vinny said.

JMO.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Eriadoc. Personally (and obviously this is JMO) I think Bridgewater can be that guy. Maybe it's the issue of us seeing different stuff on tape. Whatever the cause, I think he IS the franchise guy, and our debate aside this is the job for the new FO (or god forbid the current FO) to decide. Is he the guy? This is a important question that will shape the fate of this franchise. I think he is, but if he's not I will accept it and look elsewhere. The idea of drafting OL and LB talent is a good one. I don't like it as much because it takes a year out of having a QB, and then we're rolling the dice on being able to get Winston or Hogan or Petty (any three or all three of whom could fall off a la Barkley). There is no sure thing in the NFL.

At the end of the day we need a franchise QB. I don't care who it is, I want one. I just think that Bridgewater could be that guy. I could be totally wrong. I'm certainly not rabid about him, but I see the potential there. You don't - and the FO is gonna have to decide for themselves. Let's just hope as fans they make the right choice, whatever it is.

infantrycak
11-26-2013, 01:55 PM

I generally agree but in this particular instance the name does matter because it raises a giant red flag question which needs to be answered - Is Derek more committed to the game than his brother was (which goes hand in hand with is he more coachable than his brother)? There are lots of related questions on that - is he going to study at home or at the facility, is he going to be an island on the team, etc. There are legitimate reasons for Texans fans to at least want a more thorough investigation than normal because we have more information than normal.

Carr Bombed
11-26-2013, 01:57 PM
That's the slippery slope . You play it safe and go with Mathews and Teddy becomes the real deal , you just set yourself back years .

Walter Football just came out with a new mock at noon and the Texans picked Clowney 2nd . I they had the Texans picking Boyd in the 2nd .

Id be happy with that mock. There's a crap load of talent at the QB position this year.. but none really worth a top 5 pick. You can grab a player actually worth a top 5 pick and pick up a QB in the 2nd round without losing much talent wise.

I disagree with you though.. even if Teddy becomes the real deal and you miss out on him, you don't set yourself back years, because you'll be in line to draft another Teddy next year. You'll set yourself back years if he doesn't live up to being a top 5 pick QB and proves not to be worth the time you're going to have to invest in him if you do take him top 5.

Honoring Earl 34
11-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Id be happy with that mock. There's a crap load of talent at the QB position this year.. but none really worth a top 5 pick. You can grab a player actually worth a top 5 pick and pick up a QB in the 2nd round without losing much talent wise.

I disagree with you though.. even if Teddy becomes the real deal and you miss out on him, you don't set yourself back years, because you'll be in line to draft another Teddy next year. You'll set yourself back years if he doesn't live up to being a top 5 pick QB and proves not to be worth the time you're going to have to invest in him if you do take him top 5.

If Teddy or the QB you pick turns out to be a player , your set . The problem is getting the blemishes off him in time to play with JJ and the others entering their prime . Teddy is a Miami native , maybe that will make AJ happy .

While Luck isn't exactly setting the world on fire , he is way ahead of schedule compared to RG3 and the other young QBs . That's who your trying to close the gap against , if you want to be king of the AFC south again .

For cherry picking purposes .

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

eriadoc
11-26-2013, 04:22 PM
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Eriadoc. Personally (and obviously this is JMO) I think Bridgewater can be that guy.

At the end of the day we need a franchise QB. I don't care who it is, I want one. I just think that Bridgewater could be that guy. I could be totally wrong. I'm certainly not rabid about him, but I see the potential there. You don't - and the FO is gonna have to decide for themselves. Let's just hope as fans they make the right choice, whatever it is.

That's cool. I was just explaining my thought process.

htownfan32
11-26-2013, 04:23 PM
That's cool. I was just explaining my thought process.

Definitely. I can see where that viewpoint comes from, too. The BPA (i.e. Clowney, Barr, Matthews) camp has a lot of merit to it. Unfortunately we have been set back so far as a franchise we are in this situation. It's pitiful.

Say you were given the first overall pick. Do you make your choice there or do you trade down?

Honoring Earl 34
11-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Definitely. I can see where that viewpoint comes from, too. The BPA (i.e. Clowney, Barr, Matthews) camp has a lot of merit to it. Unfortunately we have been set back so far as a franchise we are in this situation. It's pitiful.

Part of the setback is the mauling of the salary cap . The bad news part 2 is they have to pay their best player pretty soon .

Texian
11-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Matt Miller is a novice at the evaluation game as far as I am concerned. His stuff is so bad I had to UNFOLLOW him on twitter. He was wasting to much of my time. For the most part he made no sense and is void of any logic or sense of reason.

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:09 PM
In mass you arent going to pull a "do everything you can or get out of town bob" no matter how many times you type BoB on this site. Given the option more people would rather have a team in town vs not having one at all.

Bud thought the same things you do.

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Quoted for the wow. That is the definition of bandwagon.

Yep I'm a 40 yr bandwagon fan.

Or maybe I think BoB's comittment to putting a great team on the field rivals Bud's. I've seen this story for too many yrs. It's up to BoB to prove me wrong.

BTW, is BoB still learning on the job after 12 yrs?

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:27 PM
For the record, letting Bud leave town had nothing to do with the w/l record of the team, or the team at all

I know about the Astrodome and the tax $$$$ that we are still paying off. But if the Oilers had won a SB (Thanks Warren) then the city would've built Bud a new stadium. But that didn't happen and Bud like any good businessman cut the best deal he could get with Nashville. (Not saying I agree with Bud's tactics)

Bud did have one thing right, if he would've let the Astros/Rockets go 1st in requestin tax $$$$ for a new stadium, he probably would've gotten the new stadium he desired.

2012Champs
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Bud thought the same things you do.

Your memory is off

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Your memory is off

You're not the 1st person to make that remark. LOL

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:44 PM
What Vinny said.

JMO.

Great minds think alike.

The optimal thing to have happen would be to trade for Clevelands two 1st's.

Nix and Erving could solve alot of what's wrong with this team. One of Mettenberger/McCarron/Manziel should be there at 2-1 and odds are they will be as good in the NFL as Bridgewater turns out to be.

This is an oppurtunity to build a stable franchise for yrs to come.

eriadoc
11-27-2013, 12:11 AM

Say you were given the first overall pick. Do you make your choice there or do you trade down?

For me, it depends on the grade for Matthews (or whatever BPA). If it's comparable to past year;s #1 guys, maybe I just take the guy. Personally, I want Clowney less than I want Bridgewater. I like trade downs when they're done right. I have little faith that the current FO will do it right.

Playoffs
11-29-2013, 11:07 AM
QB prospect on the rise for 2014 NFL draft: Derek Carr. Respected scout I talk to thinks he's top 10 when it's all said and done.
— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) November 18, 2013

Pollardized
11-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Fresno State against San Jose St coming on now on CBS. Sports network. Good chance to see Carr play. And also the San Jose QB Fales.

JB
11-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Fresno State against San Jose St coming on now on CBS. Sports network. Good chance to see Carr play. And also the San Jose QB Fales.

My CBS station has Arkanasas- LSU game

oops, just saw the cbssn

found it

Thanks!

Pollardized
11-29-2013, 03:51 PM
My CBS station has Arkanasas- LSU game

CBS Sports Network, it's like Fox Sports. Channel 221 on Directv.

JB
11-29-2013, 03:57 PM
CBS Sports Network, it's like Fox Sports. Channel 221 on Directv.

512 on Suddenlink Conroe ;)

Pollardized
11-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Wow SJ with a 3 man offensive line on that play!

JB
11-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Carr dropped that pass in nicely for a TD

Lucky
11-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Has better touch than his older brother and is not as stiff an athlete. Still has some of that sidearm delivery. Not as big an arm as David. Looks like a solid 2nd round pick to me.

infantrycak
11-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Hard to judge them when there are no defenses on the field.

bah007
11-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Has better touch than his older brother and is not as stiff an athlete. Still has some of that sidearm delivery. Not as big an arm as David. Looks like a solid 2nd round pick to me.

I think he goes in the top 25. Maybe he doesn't deserve to but I think he will.

I've got him as my #2 QB right now but that speaks more to how overrated I think the rest of the class is.

I think Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, and Manziel all go first round.

stingray
11-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Defenses are as bad is it gets.

TexansSeminole
11-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Hard to judge them when there are no defenses on the field.

Yup. People keep saying that he and Bridgewater play against the same level of competition, it's just not true. Louisville may not play the big boys but their opponents are undoubtedly more stingy than the teams that Fresno State play against.

Texian
11-29-2013, 05:39 PM
This looks like an 11 on 7 scrimmage. Any further Carr evaluation will have to come in his bowl game.

gtexan02
12-02-2013, 12:32 AM
All I can tell is that he looks identical to his brother with a helmet on.

WolverineFan
12-02-2013, 10:52 AM
This looks like an 11 on 7 scrimmage. Any further Carr evaluation will have to come in his bowl game.

He already accepted a Senior Bowl invite, which was very smart on his part. It will be a good chance for him to showcase his ability and impress coaches.

Rey
12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
All I can tell is that he looks identical to his brother with a helmet on.

Yes. They even move the same.

When I see him play, I see David.

Which makes me worry about his mental ability.

infantrycak
12-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Yes. They even move the same.

When I see him play, I see David.

Which makes me worry about his mental ability.

He had better touch and placement than David ever did. Plus, he actually threw the ball away instead of running out of bounds behind the LOS.

Man that would be an interview to be a fly on the wall.

otisbean
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
I'd really like to see Derek play against a strong D in a bowl game, like a Missouri or LSU to see what he can do. He's got all the physical skills, and it would be interesting to see him face a D that can provide some adversity.

If he takes the preparation side much more seriously than his brother he'd be an interesting candidate, especially in a trade down situation. You'd hope he has learned from his brothers mistakes

bah007
12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd really like to see Derek play against a strong D in a bowl game, like a Missouri or LSU to see what he can do. He's got all the physical skills, and it would be interesting to see him face a D that can provide some adversity.

If he takes the preparation side much more seriously than his brother he'd be an interesting candidate, especially in a trade down situation. You'd hope he has learned from his brothers mistakes

Most projections have Fresno St playing USC in the Las Vegas Bowl, which would be interesting. USC's defense has played very well most of the season. Their strength isn't in the secondary though.

Mr teX
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
i don't think he'd do very well against a stout defense..i originally thought he'd be a good option for us just based on the numbers he was putting up...but i went back and looked at a little video on him...his decision making wasn't that great and most of what i saw him throw was short underneath stuff....Deja Vu like a mother...

bah007
12-02-2013, 03:14 PM
His WR Davante Adams looks like a real stud.

Mr. White
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM
He's already married and has a kid. Normally that wouldn't be much of a problem to me, but I don't see any evidence that his priorities are any different than David's were.

Lucky
12-06-2013, 12:52 AM
His WR Davante Adams looks like a real stud.
Reminds me of a young Michael Irvin. Would love to see him in a Texans uniform.

Corrosion
12-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Not enough IMO. Now give me 7 , 25 & 40 .... and next years first rounder and you got a deal.

The Redskins moved from 6 to 2 giving up the #6 & 39 along with two future first round picks. I'd want compensation equal or greater for the #1 overall choice.

7 Cameron Erving
25 CJ Mosley
33 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
40 Tajh Boyd or Aaron Murray

Yeah , I think I could go for a draft like that.

Those very early picks are a lot more valuable today than they were just a few short years ago because they are not as expensive - no more $78m for Matthew Stafford. Instead you get Andrew Luck for 4 years $22m. That's not to compare the players but their draft position and contract value.

What's disturbing is that Carr Version 2.0 might actually be the best QB in this draft .... which is unfortunate for the Texans because I just cant see them taking him with the history of HWWNBM & Rodger.

At least he doesn't wear #8

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Not enough IMO. Now give me 7 , 25 & 40 .... and next years first rounder and you got a deal.

The Redskins moved from 6 to 2 giving up the #6 & 39 along with two future first round picks. I'd want compensation equal or greater for the #1 overall choice.

There just aren't very good odds of that happening. I doubt any team covets a player in this draft as much as Washington coveted RG3 in that draft. Washington has kind of ruined the trade back scenario because they really overpaid and people think that is fair value now. It's not.

By the draft value chart, Washington gave up about 4,000 points to grab a pick worth 2,600 points.

Getting 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year would be about 3,750 points for a pick worth 3,000. In our scenario, it's much more likely that we get closer to fair value because we will either select a guy #1 or be desperate to trade back.

steelbtexan
12-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Which is why if I were an owner I wouldn't pick Derek to be my franchise QB even if he was available in the 7th rd.

I've seen enough of Rodger Carr/David Carr to last me a lifetime.

Vinny
12-06-2013, 10:22 AM

7 Cameron Erving
25 CJ Mosley
33 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

Those very early picks are a lot more valuable today than they were just a few short years ago because they are not as expensive - no more $78m for Matthew Stafford. Instead you get Andrew Luck for 4 years $22m. That's not to compare the players but their draft position and contract value.

What's disturbing is that Carr Version 2.0 might actually be the best QB in this draft .... which is unfortunate for the Texans because I just cant see them taking him with the history of HWWNBM & Rodger.

problem is that there is no Luck or RG3 at the top of this draft, so you won't get as big a haul.

Can you imagine McNair asking himself if he really wants to be the guy to hand 100 million dollars to the Carr family on spec?

NCTexan
12-06-2013, 10:30 AM
There just aren't very good odds of that happening. I doubt any team covets a player in this draft as much as Washington coveted RG3 in that draft. Washington has kind of ruined the trade back scenario because they really overpaid and people think that is fair value now. It's not.

By the draft value chart, Washington gave up about 4,000 points to grab a pick worth 2,600 points.

Getting 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year would be about 3,750 points for a pick worth 3,000. In our scenario, it's much more likely that we get closer to fair value because we will either select a guy #1 or be desperate to trade back.

The trade value chart is off though because of the contracts under the new CBA. Unless a new one has come out? High picks are much more valuable now that they carry less risk.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 10:40 AM
The trade value chart is off though because of the contracts under the new CBA. Unless a new one has come out? High picks are much more valuable now that they carry less risk.

Good point and I agree. I'm rarely the guy who pulls out the draft chart but I do think it's still the best barometer when looking at a huge trade like that one.

Basically my point is if you're waiting for that trade offer to come along then I hope you have someone in mind for that #1 pick because odds are you're going to be turning in that card before you get close to the offer that you want.

Honoring Earl 34
12-06-2013, 10:46 AM

7 Cameron Erving
25 CJ Mosley
33 Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

Right now , nobody has revealed himself to be worth moving up for and that's a big issue . If you can get Carr's ol man a GM job , you could probably get 5 first round picks to give him a shot to draft Derek . :boogereater:

NCTexan
12-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Good point and I agree. I'm rarely the guy who pulls out the draft chart but I do think it's still the best barometer when looking at a huge trade like that one.

Basically my point is if you're waiting for that trade offer to come along then I hope you have someone in mind for that #1 pick because odds are you're going to be turning in that card before you get close to the offer that you want.

I'm really just homering at this point and hoping we get something like 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year. I agree with you that Washington spoiled the trade back scenario and we'd be beyond lucky to get this. I just don't want to face reality yet!

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm really just homering at this point and hoping we get something like 7, 25, 40, & a 1st next year. I agree with you that Washington spoiled the trade back scenario and we'd be beyond lucky to get this. I just don't want to face reality yet!

I would love a trade back like that because this team sorely needs talent at a lot of places. I won't hold out hope though. If the Texans have taught me one thing it's to stop being a homer and become a realist. I don't even get mad anymore. I see a game like last night and just nod my head and think to myself "yea, that looks about right".

infantrycak
12-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Not sure how you get 4000. They gave up #6 (1600), #39 (510), a 1st this year which had to be assumed mid-round and is treated as equivalent to a same year 2nd (420) and a 1st 2 years out treated as 3rd round same year pick (190) = 2720. Not a gross disparity value wise by the chart.

#7 (1500), #25 (720), #40 (500) and next year 1st/mid 2nd this year (420) = 3140.

Neither scenario is wildly outside the chart.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Not sure how you get 4000. They gave up #6 (1600), #39 (510), a 1st this year which had to be assumed mid-round and is treated as equivalent to a same year 2nd (420) and a 1st 2 years out treated as 3rd round same year pick (190) = 2720. Not a gross disparity value wise by the chart.

#7 (1500), #25 (720), #40 (500) and next year 1st/mid 2nd this year (420) = 3140.

Neither scenario is wildly outside the chart.

Why would a 1st next year be treated as a mid-2nd round pick and why would a 1st in two years be treated as a mid-3rd? Sure it's not in the same draft, but it's still a 1st round pick. Why is the value of it significantly worse?

I will probably do a terrible job explaining my reasoning but here goes....

I agree that both picks have to be valued at assumed mid-round because there is no way to know where they fall. All we know is that they will fall IN the 1st round. So I valued both future 1st's with the same value as the #16 pick. That's mid-1st. I don't agree with the reasoning that you would value those future picks at a MUCH lesser value than what they will actually be worth just because they are 1 & 2 years down the road.

#6 (1600 pts), #39 (510 pts), 2013 1st (1000 pts), 2014 1st (1000 pts) = 4110 pts. The original #2 pick they traded for was worth just 2600 pts.

The Washington pick last year was #22 overall (780 pts) and the pick this year is in line right now to be #2 (2600 pts). That means the two future 1st round picks that you value at a meager 630 pts (420 + 190) actually end up being worth 3380 pts. You're valuing 2 future 1st round picks as just one #29 overall when in actuality they ended up with #22 AND #2.

In the end, Washington traded 2012 #6, 2012 #39, 2013 #22, and 2014 #2 (totaling 5490 points) for 2012 #2 (valued at 2600 points).

Corrosion
12-06-2013, 04:55 PM

I mentioned the contract values in my post above .... and in another thread.

Too many teams in need of a QB including ours .... Its a very good possibility one of those teams falls head over heels for Bridgewater and with Mariota going back to school the odds are greater this happens as well. I think this kinda inflates the value of the pick.
All it takes is one of those QB needy teams to say "I have to have him!" and they'll pony up.
Minny - Cleveland , Barffalo , NY Jets , Jax , Oakland , Tampa Bay , Arizona and maybe even the Tinbreds tho I cant see a deal with them. All it will take is one team .... and it probably wouldn't be all that difficult to get them to .... bid against themselves. Too many teams with poor QB play ,I just cant see one or more teams not interested.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Too many teams in need of a QB including ours .... Its a very good possibility one of those teams falls head over heels for Bridgewater and with Mariota going back to school the odds are greater this happens as well. I think this kinda inflates the value of the pick.
All it takes is one of those QB needy teams to say "I have to have him!" and they'll pony up.
Minny - Cleveland , Barffalo , NY Jets , Jax , Oakland , Tampa Bay , Arizona and maybe even the Tinbreds tho I cant see a deal with them. All it will take is one team .... and it probably wouldn't be all that difficult to get them to .... bid against themselves. Too many teams with poor QB play ,I just cant see one or more teams not interested.

I agree and you make solid points. And I'm not saying that we won't trade back. I'm just saying that the WAS/STL trade will not be replicated. They gave up a TON to move up.

We could still make out very well in a trade back scenario, but I was just giving fair warning to not get you hopes up of such a mega-deal going through. And you are completely right, maybe we could get 2-3 teams to bid against each other and play up the price. I still don't see it reaching that level though.

STL moved back 4 spots and got (2!) 1st round picks plus a 2nd. We could move back 5-6 spots and I'd be happy with just 1 future 1st and a 2nd. Maybe get a late round pick as a sweetner, but that's not a deal breaker. I'll throw a scenario at you....

Minnesota currently sits at #5. If they offered #5 , #37, and a 2015 1st for #1...would you take it? I would.

beerlover
12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
seems like #8 would be a natural fit maybe 3rd time is a charm :clown:

http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/hot1_david_carr2.jpghttp://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/2013/10/SCHAUB.PRESSER-306x203.jpghttp://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img24219381.jpg
Seems like a morph between the two, could be dead solid perfect? :koolaid:

eriadoc
12-06-2013, 05:53 PM
If the Texans draft Carr, I have an old jersey that will have Carr crossed off, Schaub crossed off, and Carr written in again. Just because.

infantrycak
12-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Why would a 1st next year be treated as a mid-2nd round pick and why would a 1st in two years be treated as a mid-3rd? Sure it's not in the same draft, but it's still a 1st round pick. Why is the value of it significantly worse?

Two halves to the answer.

The rule of thumb on valuing future draft picks was made up by Jimmy Johnson and the other developers and early users of the chart. The principle is common sense, a 1st now is worth more than next year just like $5 would be. So you could haggle over how much but that's the rule of thumb.

Mid round was me simply because I think draft order on teams at the extremes in the draft order changes a lot year to year. So if I am evaluating #6 this year's future picks I am not going to assume they will be that high next year in considering the future picks. By the same token I wouldn't assume say last year's 32nd pick was going to stay there and would assume it moves toward the middle as well. Again you could haggle over how much but for ease today I put it right in the middle. It doesn't change things much if you move them to #12 instead of #16.

WolverineFan
12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Two halves to the answer.

The rule of thumb on valuing future draft picks was made up by Jimmy Johnson and the other developers and early users of the chart. The principle is common sense, a 1st now is worth more than next year just like $5 would be. So you could haggle over how much but that's the rule of thumb.

Mid round was me simply because I think draft order on teams at the extremes in the draft order changes a lot year to year. So if I am evaluating #6 this year's future picks I am not going to assume they will be that high next year in considering the future picks. By the same token I wouldn't assume say last year's 32nd pick was going to stay there and would assume it moves toward the middle as well. Again you could haggle over how much but for ease today I put it right in the middle. It doesn't change things much if you move them to #12 instead of #16.

Okay thanks for clarifying. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not a huge fan of the value chart, but I do think it's useful when it comes to mega-deals such as this one because we really have no other tool to measure with.

Obviously I value future picks at a higher value than most people seem to. I will say though that the Rams basically traded Robert Griffin for Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Alec Ogletree, and whoever they draft with the Redskins pick this year (likely top 5). I won't say they won that trade. But I don't think they lost either. If they can turn that pick into a QB then I would consider then a clear winner.

Playoffs
12-21-2013, 03:11 PM
(HD, Sports, 12/21/2013) ABC 2:30PM CDT

2013 Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Fresno State Bulldogs at USC Trojans from Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas

Derek Carr, Marqise Lee look to impress NFL scouts in bowl (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000300995/article/derek-carr-marqise-lee-look-to-impress-nfl-scouts-in-bowl)
Carr has been nearly flawless this season. Even in Fresno State's lone defeat in 2013, a 62-52 loss at San Jose State that denied the Bulldogs a berth in a BCS bowl, Carr was 38 of 50 for 519 yards and six touchdowns. Carr's one interception came in the fourth quarter when the Fresno State defense had already allowed 59 points, the offense pressed into comeback mode.

That was the kind of production associated with Lee during his transcendent first two years at USC, keying its 10-win season in 2011 and setting several Pac-12 receiving records, earning unanimous All-America honors and winning the Biletnikoff Award last season. But injuries, inconsistent quarterback play and indefensible play-calling by former head coach Lane Kiffin have limited Lee to 673 yards, barely half of his freshman production and one-third of that from his sophomore campaign...

http://media.fresnobee.com/smedia/2013/10/09/16/22/a5w8r.AuSt.8.jpeg

Derek Carr's senior season about far more than football (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131101/derek-carr-fresno-state-bulldogs)
Heather Carr looked her husband in the eyes. It was Aug. 6, and the couple's newborn son, Dallas, had just been taken by an ambulance to Valley Children's Hospital in Madera, Calif. Dallas, who was born only a few hours earlier, required emergency surgery to correct his twisted intestines, which threatened to cut off his blood flow.

The couple prayed together. Heather asked her husband the critical question: Is he going to make it?

"To have to answer that question to my wife was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, to hold back the tears, to hold back my human feelings," said Derek Carr. "I had to tell her, yes, he's going to make it."

Dallas made it through the operation. The Carrs breathed a momentary sigh of relief. But Derek's emotional year has far from slowed down...

Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr can handle life's audibles (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-1218-derek-carr-fresno-20131218,0,862280.story#axzz2o8oDyvSg)
As a senior at Bakersfield Christian High, he was recruited by the likes of Alabama, Notre Dame, Louisiana State and USC, even though he had already announced his intention to follow his brother David up state Route 99 to Fresno State. He enrolled in college in the spring, at 17, skipping his final few months of high school in order to get an early start on his football career.

Carr played little his first two years, but that didn't stop him from living what he called the "college quarterback life."

At the height of his partying days, Carr met Heather Neel, a waitress at a BJ's Brewhouse about half a mile from campus. After working up the courage to ask her out, he spent their first date telling her what he was looking for in a wife.

Neel has said she wasn't turned off by Carr's arrogance, but, as a devout Christian, she couldn't handle his fast-lane lifestyle. So she told him to change or move on.

"Heather actually wrote me a letter and she said, 'You're not the person that I thought you were,'" Carr recalled. "I read that and I remember I stood up in front of my teammates and I told them, 'Hey, I've been telling you I'm a Christian and I've been living the party life and all that. And that's dead wrong.' And that's kind of when I got my thing right."

This season, Carr led the team's postgame prayer circle. And in place of goodbye, he now ends phone calls with a cheery "God bless."

Trap_Star
12-21-2013, 03:34 PM
eerily similar to David in 02.

Texecutioner
12-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't see how the Texans could spin the PR nightmare once Carr started to struggle with consistency. It would make this franchise look so bad. It would be the worst risk they've ever made if they drafted Carr and tried to develop him. It would be asking for Karma. I don't think Mcnair would want to take that kind of risk after two failed regimes and the embarrassment of Carr and then Schaub's "pick 6" season.

Trap_Star
12-21-2013, 03:53 PM
I coached 17 years and ran a scouting service for 5 years. I have to be perfectly honest when I say Blake Bortles is the only "elite" quarterback in this draft if he chooses to come out. http://youtu.be/ayD9_uCz4K0

Kotite? Welcome aboard, Rich.

Vinny
12-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I coached 17 years and ran a scouting service for 5 years. I have to be perfectly honest when I say Blake Bortles is the only "elite" quarterback in this draft if he chooses to come out. http://youtu.be/ayD9_uCz4K0Ex NFL player and talent scout Bucky Brooks compares him to Nick Foles but likes his potential.

Film Room: UCF's fast-rising Blake Bortles not elite QB
By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:03 p.m. Updated: Dec. 20, 2013 at 01:01 p.m

Conclusion
Bortles is an intriguing quarterback prospect with the desirable physical dimensions and talent to be a coveted player in NFL draft rooms. He has improved steadily throughout his career, and notched a few distinguished wins that will lead some evaluators to see him as a franchise-caliber quarterback. However, I believe it is important to keep his value in perspective when comparing him to the recent classes of quarterbacks that have produced the likes of Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. While each of the aforementioned players has endured a varying degree of struggles in the NFL, there wasn't any doubt about their talent or dominance at the collegiate level. They stood out on game tape and looked like Day 1 NFL starters (most didn't expect Wilson to be the star he has become, but most believed he was a natural leader and exceptional talent despite his diminutive dimensions).

Looking at Bortles on tape, I simply don't get those feelings. I see a good player with a lot of upside, but I don't see a transcendent star that will significantly change the fortunes of a dismal franchise. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be an effective starter for a team, but I believe it will take him some time to develop into a solid player as a pro.

When a scout is placing a grade on a prospect, he must take that potential into account, and I can't place a top-10 grade on a quarterback that is good, not great, at this time. Bortles strikes me as a prospect comparable to Nick Foles coming out of college. While Foles has exceeded expectations to this point of his career, the jury is still out on whether he will truly become a franchise quarterback. That's how I see Bortles, which is why I would grade him as a borderline first-round prospect at this point. He can start and win games in the NFL, but he will need some time to develop in the right system to become an impact player as a pro.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000301149/article/film-room-fastrising-blake-bortles-a-bit-overhyped

Honoring Earl 34
12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Ex NFL player and talent scout Bucky Brooks compares him to Nick Foles but likes his potential.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000301149/article/film-room-fastrising-blake-bortles-a-bit-overhyped

My ample gut , instinct tells me I'd rather go with Boyd in the 2nd or Murray in the 3rd before I take a QB #1 overall in this draft .

Playoffs
12-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Kotite? Welcome aboard, Rich.

Gee, that took about about 2 seconds to figure out. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Honoring Earl 34
12-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Gee, that took about about 2 seconds to figure out. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Just hope Rich isn't here for an interview . :kubepalm:

NCTexan
12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
He's not impressing me. He's making some tough throws but he's not taking over the game. It's clear his team is overmatched, but still.

Honoring Earl 34
12-21-2013, 05:21 PM
He's not impressing me. He's making some tough throws but he's not taking over the game. It's clear his team is overmatched, but still.

He's missed some wide open throws .

bah007
12-21-2013, 05:23 PM
He's missed some wide open throws .

He has. Gets pretty sloppy with his feet when pressured.

badboy
12-21-2013, 05:25 PM
He has arm strength but is highly inaccurate at 50% and 3.8 avg this game. A high first round should be carrying his team. All of you who bash McCarron should be moving this guy off your board. Kessler is the better QB today. I hope Cleveland is watching.

Honoring Earl 34
12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
He has arm strength but is highly inaccurate at 50% and 3.8 avg this game. A high first round should be carrying his team. All of you who bash McCarron should be moving this guy off your board. Kessler is the better QB today. I hope Cleveland is watching.

He had some swag until they hit him , then he came apart like a cheap rug .

ps ... I am biased against him and believe he'll be the sequel .

WolverineFan
12-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Put McCarron on this Fresno State team and tell me they still aren't getting blown out.

And no, I'm not a Derek Carr fan. Just tired of people bashing Carr/Fales/Bridgewater/Bortles/etc. for not carrying their mediocre teams 24/7 but praising AJ for not carrying his elite team 24/7.

Ben Frank
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
David Carr was a Lemon, and his brother Carr looks like a Lemon too.. lol

Playoffs
12-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Derek behind that O-line against that defense is bringing back memories of David and his "pro" O-line. :smiliepalm:

gafftop
12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Also watching bowl game. The announcers said OK if no pressure but if pressured he is no longer good. Well guess what he is playing in college against at best average talent. In the NFL he will feel the pressure and turn into I think something less than David Carr.

Of course we have Smith as our GM so I have no confidence in our draft.

Playoffs
12-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Just not feeling it with Derek Carr. Just don't think he has "it" between the ears.

badboy
12-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Put McCarron on this Fresno State team and tell me they still aren't getting blown out.

And no, I'm not a Derek Carr fan. Just tired of people bashing Carr/Fales/Bridgewater/Bortles/etc. for not carrying their mediocre teams 24/7 but praising AJ for not carrying his elite team 24/7.The point is if you criticize any player for anything, you should use equal critique of all players. Just because you think McCarron has not been asked to carry a team does not mean he cannot.

bhsman
12-21-2013, 08:40 PM
The point is if you criticize any player for anything, you should use equal critique of all players. Just because you think McCarron has not been asked to carry a team does not mean he cannot.

Don't worry, they'd be worse off with McCarron. :)

kiwitexansfan
01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
As the other guy that 'experts' think will be a first round QB, thought I would bump this thread since TB, BB and JFF have active threads.

If we do trade down Carr will be in the mix somewhere.

TexansFTW
01-08-2014, 10:43 AM
As the other guy that 'experts' think will be a first round QB, thought I would bump this thread since TB, BB and JFF have active threads.

If we do trade down Carr will be in the mix somewhere.

Bob wants to make the best moves for the team, but he also wants to appease the fans I believe.

I'm a UH Alumni and am super biased towards Case Keenum, but that dude should not have got that long of a run being completely ineffective while Yates didn't even get a chance.

I don't believe Yates is good, but I believe that Bob wanted to appease the fans. Everyone in this thread knows if we drafted the brother of David Carr it would NOT be received well, even if he happened to be BPA at the time and we needed a QB.

I will stand firm saying there is a less than 1% chance he is drafted by the Texans despite what we do on draft day.

kiwitexansfan
01-08-2014, 07:02 PM
If we win, fans won't give a flying funt who the QBs brother is.....

Or would they??

Playoffs
01-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Futures: Fresno State QB Derek Carr

Want a glimpse into a quarterback’s mind? Watch his feet.

by Matt Waldman (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-fresno-state-qb-derek-carr)
These nine plays illustrate both sides of Derek Carr. He’s a quarterback capable of quick decisions, high velocity throws with tight-window accuracy, and the skill to make positive plays under pressure. He also has an impulsive streak that can lead to inaccurate throws, poor ball placement, and bad decisions.

Carr’s play has grown on me as I study him in-depth. However, it’s not a ringing endorsement for a player a team is likely to coronate as its future starter in April. He’s the type of player I think would benefit most from a year or two on the bench behind a good starter like Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, but I’m not expecting he’ll be this fortunate.

Playoffs
01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
David Carr has done an excellent job of coaching his younger brother in what to do and how to act to most impress NFL teams, and it's working...

Carr is early to the field and always getting extra work in after practices. He's pulling WRs in with him, and each of the guys who play along are getting noticed for that. Carr's arm was head & shoulders above all others in yesterday's big winds, and he's taking coaching well. But the "intangibles" sales job is increasing his draft stock.

I do not see Carr as having the mind to run OB's system. Props to his brother David, though, for teaching him well and to Derek for listening and following directions.

kiwitexansfan
01-22-2014, 06:55 PM
David Carr has done an excellent job of coaching his younger brother in what to do and how to act to most impress NFL teams, and it's working...

Carr is early to the field and always getting extra work in after practices. He's pulling WRs in with him, and each of the guys who play along are getting noticed for that. Carr's arm was head & shoulders above all others in yesterday's big winds, and he's taking coaching well. But the "intangibles" sales job is increasing his draft stock.

I do not see Carr as having the mind to run OB's system. Props to his brother David, though, for teaching him well and to Derek for listening and following directions.

Maybe he has chosen for himself to show the work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile that was the knock on David?

Will be interested to see where Carr's draft stock is at the end of the week.

I had the feeling he was drifting down the boards, maybe to the end of the first round somewhere but it seems he is showing as the best of the QBs at Senior Bowl.

WolverineFan
01-22-2014, 08:15 PM
I had the feeling he was drifting down the boards, maybe to the end of the first round somewhere but it seems he is showing as the best of the QBs at Senior Bowl.

Well, this is his competition at the Senior Bowl (with my opinion on their stock)....

Tajh Boyd - 2nd-4th round
Derek Carr - 1st-2nd round
David Fales - 3rd-4th round
Jimmy Garoppolo - 2nd-3rd round
Stephen Morris - 3rd-4th round
Logan Thomas - 4th-6th round

He should be the best one there. That said, I think he has definitely helped himself so far this week.

eriadoc
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Maybe he has chosen for himself to show the work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile that was the knock on David?

Carr 1.0 had all the physical tools to succeed int he NFL. If he had just taken on the heavy lifting of the job (late nights and film study), he could have been very good. But we all know how that turned out. So if Carr 2.0 is willing to correct that flaw, he looks like he has the physical tools to succeed also.

Just not here, I don't think.

Honoring Earl 34
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Carr 1.0 had all the physical tools to succeed int he NFL. If he had just taken on the heavy lifting of the job (late nights and film study), he could have been very good. But we all know how that turned out. So if Carr 2.0 is willing to correct that flaw, he looks like he has the physical tools to succeed also.

Just not here, I don't think.

Carr 1 had a good week of practice at the senior bowl . It was the game that should have been the omen .

Allstar
01-23-2014, 12:00 AM
Where do I order my Hulk75 jersey?

kiwitexansfan
01-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Where do I order my Hulk75 jersey?

Wrong bro, bro

Mr. White
01-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Wrong bro, bro

How about a QB75 jersey?

Playoffs
02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

I think it's time we stopped castigating little brother with big brother's shortcomings. Watch this video... all the way through to the end...

Derek Carr: "I'll Outwork Anybody" (http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Derek_Carr_Ill_Outwork_Anybody/0ae56c11-cea2-46b6-9133-7aee7a33c0ab)

Now I don't want the Texans to draft him, one reason is fit... another is how he'd be treated here... but I don't know how you don't come away from that with some respect for the young man.

After he was interrupted by his Combine escort but politely asked to continue his story about his son and did so, Carr thanked everyone and left the podium to shake the hands of the reporters gathered there and thanked them for their questions. Number of others who have done that: 0. I wish him the best.

Lucky
02-22-2014, 01:05 AM
Now I don't want the Texans to draft him, one reason is fit... another is how he'd be treated here... but I don't know how you don't come away from that with some respect for the young man.
I agree. The Texans could not sell another Carr to their fans. And don't want to go off on a David Carr bash session, but you can't watch that interview and not think that Derek is the kind of leader that David never was. I like his chances to make it in the NFL. Just not in Houston.

Texecutioner
02-22-2014, 02:10 AM
I agree. The Texans could not sell another Carr to their fans. And don't want to go off on a David Carr bash session, but you can't watch that interview and not think that Derek is the kind of leader that David never was. I like his chances to make it in the NFL. Just not in Houston.

David said all of the right things as well. David looked and acted the part. Not saying that his brother might not be sincere or anything, but there is no way that Houston could draft another Carr. If it doesn't work out, I'd bail on the Texans for good. I couldn't sit through another Carr experiment if it didn't work out. I wouldn't want to have the constant reminders of David and seeing his face all over the news again and him hanging around the stadium. It would be like living through an awful nightmare all over again, and I feel that I've done that for 8 years of Gary Kubiak knowing Gary would be to stubborn to adapt every year. I don't like the fact that David is this kid's mentor most likely either. The backlash to drafting Carr would be bad from the start. The backlash if he struggled would be to much to bear for this fan base, and I'm apart of that I'll admit. You don't throw good money after bad. Carr is simply not an option here for Houston in my opinion.

Playoffs
03-02-2014, 03:20 PM
The Raiders are known for their unconventional picks, so Manziel might seem like a natural fit for them. Word is, though, that they liked Carr more coming out of the combine.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-mock-draft-20140302,0,6793943.column#ixzz2uq3brsub

aussie_texan
03-02-2014, 07:47 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-mock-draft-20140302,0,6793943.column#ixzz2uq3brsub

didnt sources come out and say the same thing about the browns.
carr's stock rising and manziel falling. smokescreen perhaps??

TexansSeminole
03-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Could be. I think anytime you have an athlete/playmaker like Manziel, someone is bound to fall in love with him. He may be falling, or may not be, but someone will take their shot at him.

Dutchrudder
03-03-2014, 11:47 AM

I don't think any team is truly showing their hand at this point in the process, it's all a mind game to screw with teams and mess up their Big Boards. The Browns have more than one pick in this draft, and if they can get a QB at #4, putting out interest in lesser QBs may push them up someone else's board. That would then free up other players at #26 and #35. So yeah, it's probably a smokescreen.

OzzO
03-07-2014, 08:08 AM
David Carr's ideal situation is signing with #NFL team that drafts younger brother, Derek, and backing him up. Both are comfortable with it..
:vincepalm:

Cerberus
03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed, I went back three pages looking for Carr in topic tough.

Anyway, was just having a discussion with a fellow Raider fan about Derek Carr and the Houston Texans. That fan seems to think the Texans may go after Carr, but I and others replied that after David we doubt Bob would draft another Carr. I feel Derek would have to be Peytonesque in order to justify the Texans taking him. And I realize that Derek is not David, but how would you all feel about drafting Derek? Good idea, bad idea, McNair would be a total idiot, etc.?????

Playoffs
03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103168

No way FO brings Carr into that situation, imo. Hard enough to succeed as it is.

thunderkyss
03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed, I went back three pages looking for Carr in topic tough.

Anyway, was just having a discussion with a fellow Raider fan about Derek Carr and the Houston Texans. That fan seems to think the Texans may go after Carr, but I and others replied that after David we doubt Bob would draft another Carr. I feel Derek would have to be Peytonesque in order to justify the Texans taking him. And I realize that Derek is not David, but how would you all feel about drafting Derek? Good idea, bad idea, McNair would be a total idiot, etc.?????

I don't believe that's true.

A lot of what went wrong with David Carr were things the Texans did or didn't do for David Carr.

If they believe Derek can be a franchise QB & has the best ability to do so, I'm sure they will do what they need to to make him our QB. If that means taking him with the #1 overall, so be it.

If I were king & I thought he could be that guy one of the things I would do is restrict his families access to practice... no David Carr or his dad in the club house or on the field or anything more than what Jacoby's mom had.

I don't have a problem with players who put their family or religious beliefs before football. At the same time, this is more than just a job. We don't work on a 40 hr/wk schedule. We do what it takes to win.

The Pencil Neck
03-20-2014, 11:11 AM

If we go non-QB at 1-1, I wouldn't be too surprised to see us go Carr at 2-1. I just don't see us drafting Carr in the top 10.

A part of what went wrong with the original Carr here was his family and his family orientation. This Carr shares that family and those values. For me, that's a huge red flag that this Carr is going to be a 9-5 type of guy just like his brother and if that's true, he's not O'Brien material.

Playoffs
03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Backing up on Carr, the hope is it's just a bad stomach bug but they don't know for sure yet. Either way, he refused to cancel mtgs/workouts

Fresno QB Derek Carr vomited last night and went to the hospital for treatment and IVs, per source. But plans to go thru w pro day in full.

infantrycak
03-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't believe that's true.

A lot of what went wrong with David Carr were things the Texans did or didn't do for David Carr.

If they believe Derek can be a franchise QB & has the best ability to do so, I'm sure they will do what they need to to make him our QB. If that means taking him with the #1 overall, so be it.

If I were king & I thought he could be that guy one of the things I would do is restrict his families access to practice... no David Carr or his dad in the club house or on the field or anything more than what Jacoby's mom had.

I don't have a problem with players who put their family or religious beliefs before football. At the same time, this is more than just a job. We don't work on a 40 hr/wk schedule. We do what it takes to win.

Could the Texans have put David in a better situation and gotten more out of him? - sure. But David was never going to be a good NFL QB unless he changed himself, his priorities and his habits. He would ultimately have failed to be more than mediocre no matter what unless he changed him.

As an owner/GM I would have a huge problem with any player who wasn't willing to commit fully to the team for whatever reason. You don't get to say I want paid like a guy who is fully committed unless you are a guy who is fully committed.

On Derek I would have to be 100% convinced he is committed and would not simply be Carr Round 2. If he talks to the Texans he should be volunteering up (not waiting to be asked) - "I will not be like David was here. He and I both realize his mistakes and I will be at the facility longer than anyone, will be a student of the game, will not be standoffish with my teammates - I will bond with them and be a leader and my family will be nowhere near NRG except to watch games unless you extend a special invite to them." Only then would I consider him with ANY draft pick.

dream_team
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
If we go non-QB at 1-1, I wouldn't be too surprised to see us go Carr at 2-1. I just don't see us drafting Carr in the top 10.

A part of what went wrong with the original Carr here was his family and his family orientation. This Carr shares that family and those values. For me, that's a huge red flag that this Carr is going to be a 9-5 type of guy just like his brother and if that's true, he's not O'Brien material.

Good scenario. Say we go Clowney at #1, and Carr falls out of the first round. Would he be accepted by Texans fans if he was drafted at 2-1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playoffs
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Some DC pro day videos here: http://instagram.com/daverenteria

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
Scout texted me stating Derek Carr had the best quarterback workout this week...

2014 Pro Day: Despite nausea, Derek Carr "didn't have a bad throw" (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24493539/pro-day-despite-nausea-derek-carr-didnt-have-a-bad-throw)
Carr's sterling performance is all the more impressive considering that he spent much of the morning in discomfort. According to a source close to the Bulldogs, Carr woke up vomiting this morning at 5 a.m. To replenish his fluids Carr was given an IV by Fresno's trainers. Despite being sick, Carr was adamant about competing.

bah007
03-20-2014, 07:40 PM
So earlier today it was reported that he had to check into the hospital for treatment.

Later, it was reported that he was treated by the Fresno St trainers.

Tomorrow it will probably come out that he wasn't sick at all...

Goatcheese
03-20-2014, 11:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10642777/derek-carr-fights-illness-solid-showing-pro-day

Among those in the audience were Vikings general manager Rick Spielman and offensive coordinator Norv Turner, Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie and head coach Dennis Allen, and Jaguars offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch.

Carr is considered among the top quarterbacks available in the May draft class and a candidate to be a first-round pick.

Carr was scheduled to meet with the Vikings and Raiders officials after Thursday's workouts, with more meetings scheduled with NFL scouts and officials in Fresno through the weekend.

"Obviously, he was very impressive today," said Turner, whose Vikings have the eighth overall pick. "He came out and showed he has a strong arm, very accurate, he made all the throws. He had a heck of a workout."

It seems like Carr may be climbing back to where he was ranked before the bowl game let down. He was regarded as a top 5 pick by many in December and was the clear #2 behind Bridgewater with Manziel being a very distant 3rd (ranked 20th or lower).

Allstar
03-21-2014, 11:15 AM
I'd be much happier with Carr in the 2nd than Bortles with 1.1. Seems like he might not make it to the 2nd though.

Playoffs
03-24-2014, 01:58 PM
McShay has a fourth-round grade on QB Carr (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130964/derek-carr)
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay has a fourth-round grade on Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

McShay also labeled Carr the biggest risk of the quarterback group since people are mentioning him in the first-round. "I don't see it," McShay began. "60 percent of his throws within five yards of the line of scrimmage, struggles against pressure and that tape I watched against USC, that is not a quarterback, to me, that looks like a potential starter in the league."

It can be difficult to separate quarterbacks from systems, and Carr's inability to fire in the face of a pass rush has been well documented in the form of poor balance, but we still expect him to be, at worst, an early second-round pick.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/vypalm2.gif

OzzO
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
/\ sounds familiar... where have we heard, seen that before.... first hand

Playoffs
03-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Gruden: Derek Carr has as good of arm talent as I've seen in the last couple of years.

djohn2oo8
03-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Gruden: Derek Carr has as good of arm talent as I've seen in the last couple of years.

Gruden is funny.

Texn4life
03-28-2014, 07:26 PM

That may be so, but I didn't like what I saw from him in the 2nd half of the San Jose game and the entire USC game.

BullNation4Life
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Carr could be a Nick Foles types of player. Put in the right system with the right coach he could shine. Put in the wrong system with the wrong coach and he will end up like his brother, Captain Mittens...

thunderkyss
04-05-2014, 12:02 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/09/21/092013-CFB-Fresno-State-Derek-Carr-JA-PI_2013092100522681_660_320.JPG

Does anyone know about the tattoos on Car's wrists? Especially on his right hand, that one seems like it should mean something.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640x454_sc/derek-carr.jpg

Playoffs
04-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know about the tattoos on Car's wrists? Especially on his right hand, that one seems like it should mean something.

Chi-Rho is a Christian monogram = Christ.

Can't read the one on his left.

Playoffs
04-05-2014, 12:50 PM
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB
QB Derek Carr says teams like idea of using older brother David as his backup. http://on.nfl.com/1lzCW5k

Well that seals it. http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff32/maddrussian/Emoticons/_facepalm_.gif

thunderkyss
04-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Chi-Rho is a Christian monogram = Christ.

Can't read the one on his left.

Cool, thanks.

http://a1.s6img.com/cdn/box_005/post_15/699368_9685582_lz.jpg

IDEXAN
04-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Oakland Raiders: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
This may still surprise some people, but as I wrote last week, I've been hearing more and more that multiple teams in the top 10 prefer Carr over both Teddy Bridgewater and/or Johnny Manziel. We're trained to think that Bridgewater and Manziel will go before Carr because of what we've heard on TV or read on news-aggregator Web sites, but "strange" things happen on Draft Day because teams simply think differently at times.

Also, the notion that the Raiders absolutely won't select a quarterback at No. 5 because of the Matt Schaub trade is completely ridiculous. A signal-caller is definitely in play here, thanks to the new CBA. Having said that, Oakland will be dying to trade down, as it probably thinks it can acquire Carr by sliding several slots (like last year when they wanted D.J. Hayden badly and were able to fall into the teens to get him). I'm not so sure Carr will be available in the teens anymore, but the Raiders might be willing to take that chance.
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/backyard/five_round_nfl_mock_draft/15591770?refmod=backyard&refdst=3092&refsrc=bloguin
WalterFootball.com now has Carr as the #2 QB after Bortles, and has him going to Oakland as the 5th overall pick in the Draft.
Carr is moving up as fast as Manziel is moving down, atleast according to some.

Trap_Star
04-08-2014, 03:28 AM
lol i found hulk75's twitter. (https://twitter.com/DCarr75) Shockingly pimping his brother like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjwYFm3CAAA3dRQ.jpg

Darren Carr ‏@DCarr75
#perspective #truth @derekcarrqb @DCarr8 @EMahanke @SportsCenter @McShay13 pic.twitter.com/inBX7rRV81

Trap_Star
04-08-2014, 03:32 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiyfRpuCEAAmFEC.jpg

Darren Carr ‏@DCarr75
@derekcarrqb , Burse , Jensen putting in work. pic.twitter.com/CB7qa21Jz0

obligatory roger carr involved reference. ^

Goatcheese
04-08-2014, 07:14 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/backyard/five_round_nfl_mock_draft/15591770?refmod=backyard&refdst=3092&refsrc=bloguin
WalterFootball.com now has Carr as the #2 QB after Bortles, and has him going to Oakland as the 5th overall pick in the Draft.
Carr is moving up as fast as Manziel is moving down, atleast according to some.

It's not really that surprising. Before his last bowl game, Carr was seen as a solid top 10 or even top 5 pick. He's the elite physical prospect in this class and is the only top prospect with more than an above average arm.

Carr basically has one glaring problem that keeps popping up and scaring people. He loses his poise when pressured causing his mechanics to break down and make bad decisions.

ObsiWan
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Carr basically has one glaring problem that keeps popping up and scaring people. He loses his poise when pressured causing his mechanics to break down and make bad decisions.

you know, that sounds vaguely familiar...
I know I've heard this before.
...gimme a minute, I'm sure it'll come to me...
:thinking:

Playoffs
04-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
On NFL Insiders, ESPN's Chris Mortensen on #FresnoState QB Derek Carr: "I really believe that he's gonna go somewhere between 8 & 20."

steelbtexan
04-12-2014, 01:50 AM
It's not really that surprising. Before his last bowl game, Carr was seen as a solid top 10 or even top 5 pick. He's the elite physical prospect in this class and is the only top prospect with more than an above average arm.

But........... But.......... But.............

A good QB coach can fix those faults. LOL

If the Carr's only had the sack to match their god given abilities..........

I like the .............. thingy.

Playoffs
04-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Derek Carr interview at his Jaguars team visit:

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Derek-Carr-Visits-Jacksonville/8fd9f00b-1b4b-40fe-afa2-c81165388a6e

Playoffs
04-17-2014, 03:02 PM
7. The Browns and Derek Carr

They love him. They really love him. The feeling with many in football is that Cleveland will take Carr with its 26th pick. Other quarterbacks are rising quickly, but he might be rising the fastest. He has charmed almost every team he's met with and his arm and accuracy are underrated. And no one seems to be scared of the fact he's related to epic draft bust David Carr, a notion that was definitely in play just a few months ago.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2027608-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-attacks-on-clowney-stink-of-draft-propaganda

kiwitexansfan
04-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Been watching some of draftbreakdown's footage of the USC game.

I don't think Carr was that bad. USC was all over there gameplay in that game.

Carr wasn't too skittish from what I saw and through balls into good aces where only his guy had a play on most plays.

I think his scheme limited his opportunities to show all the throws but he certainly has the arm for it.

Lucky
04-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Been watching some of draftbreakdown's footage of the USC game.

I don't think Carr was that bad. USC was all over there gameplay in that game.

I watched the game on youtube and I didn't think Carr was that bad. He missed some throws, one that would have been a TD. But, he got the TD later in the drive. I just think Fresno was out-coached and out-talented. Carr is going in the 1st round somewhere. If Cleveland, Oakland, or Minnesota passes on a QB early, one of them will trade up for Carr.

Playoffs
04-19-2014, 12:31 AM
lol i found hulk75's twitter. (https://twitter.com/DCarr75) Shockingly pimping his brother like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Those two show such unwavering support for each other. I admire that.

DocBar
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm OK with drafting Carr at somewhere other than 1.1

I also agree with Cak's take.

Vinny
04-21-2014, 12:35 AM
McShay has a fourth-round grade on QB Carr (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130964/derek-carr)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/vypalm2.gif
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay has a fourth-round grade on Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

McShay also labeled Carr the biggest risk of the quarterback group since people are mentioning him in the first-round. "I don't see it," McShay began. "60 percent of his throws within five yards of the line of scrimmage, struggles against pressure and that tape I watched against USC, that is not a quarterback, to me, that looks like a potential starter in the league."

It can be difficult to separate quarterbacks from systems, and Carr's inability to fire in the face of a pass rush has been well documented in the form of poor balance, but we still expect him to be, at worst, an early second-round pick.can't quite place it, but this sounds vaguely familiar.
:strangle:

IDEXAN
04-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Carr might be my favorite QB in this Draft, but are the rumors true that the Texans have taken him (or any QB with the name "Carr") off of their Board ?

Playoffs
04-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Carr might be my favorite QB in this Draft, but are the rumors true that the Texans have taken him (or any QB with the name "Carr") off of their Board ?

O'Brien addressed that specifically a while back and said "not at all."

thunderkyss
04-21-2014, 10:20 AM

The Texans care about winning. If they think Carr gives them the best chance of winning, long term, we'll take him. If not... we won't.

I can't look at this bunch of QBs & understand how anyone would think Carr gives anyone the best chance to win. He is not a franchise changing type of QB, like Peyton or Elway. He's not a Day 1 Starter. He's a developmental guy as far as I can see & I'm glad the media has him as a 1st round prospect.

bah007
04-21-2014, 11:34 AM
I think Carr is actually similar to Savage in physical talent, but with three key differences.

1. Savage did play in a system that better prepared him for the NFL game (albeit only for one year). Carr didn't.

2. Savage doesn't seem to notice pressure at all, which may be why he holds onto the ball forever and takes so many sacks. Carr does notice pressure, but becomes a terrible QB when he is pressured.

3. Carr's production is light years better, but is also helped by his offensive system and level of competition.

thunderkyss
04-21-2014, 12:14 PM
I think Carr is actually similar to Savage in physical talent, but with three key differences.

1. Savage did play in a system that better prepared him for the NFL game (albeit only for one year). Carr didn't.

2. Savage doesn't seem to notice pressure at all, which may be why he holds onto the ball forever and takes so many sacks. Carr does notice pressure, but becomes a terrible QB when he is pressured.

3. Carr's production is light years better, but is also helped by his offensive system and level of competition.

One of the things I look for, is how often the guy throws the ball away. Sometimes, throwing the ball away is the right decisions. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes a guy will throw it away too early, sometimes they wait too long.

Very few of the guys in this draft have ever made the decision to throw the ball away. From what little bit I've been able to watch, since I don't watch college football & only have what's on the net.

Savage made that decision a lot. With the little bit that's out there on him, you've got plenty to base your judgement on how he did making that decision. With Carr, it looks like it was never an option. I get that same feeling with Manziel, with Bridgewater, with several of these guys.

It's not something that I'll hold against a guy, or push up a guy for, not on it's own. But it's something I would have to ask Carr about during an interview, then I've got to judge how much of his answer I want to believe. Is he just telling me what he thinks I want to hear?

90% of the time, throwing the ball away has to be an option in my QBs mind. Carr & Bridgewater, at least, have never taken a 20 yard sack or put the team in a tough position (that I know of) for not giving up on a play though, but I think that is not very likely in the NFL.

Lucky
04-21-2014, 12:29 PM

1. Derek Carr did play in a traditional WCO his 1st 2 years at Fresno. So actually, he has as much, if not more, experience in a pro-style offense than Savage.
2. Regarding Carr, that's true. Even his college coach said that was a weakness, though he had improved. Pittsburgh was among the very worst in the nation in sacks allowed. As always, it's up to interpretation how much that is on the QB vs. the o-line.
3. That's true. Though Pitt and Fresno did have a common opponent (New Mexico). Both teams destroyed the Lobos.

thunderkyss
04-21-2014, 12:46 PM
1. Derek Carr.

What do you think about David Fales? How do you think he compares/differs from Carr?

infantrycak
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Very few of the guys in this draft have ever made the decision to throw the ball away. From what little bit I've been able to watch, since I don't watch college football & only have what's on the net.

Savage made that decision a lot. With the little bit that's out there on him, you've got plenty to base your judgement on how he did making that decision. With Carr, it looks like it was never an option. I get that same feeling with Manziel, with Bridgewater, with several of these guys.

Well we saw different Carr games then. I commented during one Fresno game that Derek has better touch on his deep ball and knew to get rid of the ball (including not running out of bounds behind the LOS) much better than David.

bah007
04-21-2014, 02:28 PM
1. Derek Carr did play in a traditional WCO his 1st 2 years at Fresno. So actually, he has as much, if not more, experience in a pro-style offense than Savage.
2. Regarding Carr, that's true. Even his college coach said that was a weakness, though he had improved. Pittsburgh was among the very worst in the nation in sacks allowed. As always, it's up to interpretation how much that is on the QB vs. the o-line.
3. That's true. Though Pitt and Fresno did have a common opponent (New Mexico). Both teams destroyed the Lobos.

1. I wouldn't really count Carr's freshman year because he barely saw the field, but I did forget that he played his sophomore year under Jeff Grady before Pat Hill was fired. So I will amend my previous statement and say that each received one year of on-field experience in a NFL-style offense.

2. Pittsburgh does not appear to have a great OL. But after watching Savage, I'm forced to conclude that he has no idea when or where pressure is coming. He takes more bad sacks than any QB in this class not named Logan Thomas. That is just my opinion of course. Someone else may watch Pittsburgh and think Savage does just fine picking up pressure. But I would disagree.

Playoffs
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
"He's got a live arm. Bright kid. Quick release. There's a lot of things to like about him. The only thing with Carr – he's in one of those dink-and-dunk offenses. He's got to get the ball downfield (in the NFL). There's a lot of throws that he's going to have to make on a consistent basis that we just haven't seen him do." – Former NFL general manager Jerry Angelo (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2014/04/26/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-johnny-manziel-blake-bortles-teddy-bridgewater/8215021/)

Playoffs
04-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Why Derek Carr Is the Best Quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2042809-why-derek-carr-is-the-best-quarterback-in-the-2014-nfl-draft)
Going back to the 2013 college football season we have seen multiple quarterbacks mentioned as the best quarterback available in this draft. The list includes Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Central Florida's Blake Bortles and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.

I have never bought into to any of those players as the top quarterback prospect. I wrote an article on this site a few weeks ago on why I felt that no quarterback in this class was worthy of being a top-10 selection. I felt then as I feel now that there are players at other positions who are deserving of being drafted in the top 10.

...They all have faults in their game and all need a period of development before they are ready to step in as a starter.

In saying that, I do have one quarterback rated higher than any of the others. That player is Fresno's Derek Carr [who] I do believe... will get drafted somewhere in the first round. If I had to select a quarterback he would be my first choice.

I have viewed the coaches tape on seven Fresno State games from 2013, two from 2012 as well as watched three practices at the Senior Bowl, so I have had a good look at his play...

thunderkyss
04-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Why Derek Carr Is the Best Quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2042809-why-derek-carr-is-the-best-quarterback-in-the-2014-nfl-draft)None of the quarterbacks in this class has anywhere near the talent of an Andrew Luck or a Matthew Stafford.

nvm

Goatcheese
05-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Just saw of a video on ESPN of Derek Carr throwing a football 61 MPH. That's Favre level arm strength.

htownfan32
05-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Just saw of a video on ESPN of Derek Carr throwing a football 61 MPH. That's Favre level arm strength.

Dude has a cannon, no doubt.

santo
05-09-2014, 12:14 AM
There may be a chance we don't even draft Carr, but if they do, I'll just hope for the best.

stingray
05-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Pfff. Jeff George could throw that on his knees.

PapaL
05-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Pfff. Jeff George could throw that on his knees.

Between his legs, into the wind!

PapaL
05-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Carr is the screen king in my eyes. I'm not impressed w him.

xtruroyaltyx
05-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Carr has the best arm of the too qb's. Not even close.

He's going to need to sit and Learn though. Needs to clean up his mechanics.

Also needs to settle a bit. Not be so frantic.

HJam72
05-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Derrick isn't just David's brother; he plays just like David. He has the same strengths, the same weaknesses. The only difference is he will watch a little more film during the week, and he will throw up on game day.

Thorn
05-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Derrick isn't just David's brother; he plays just like David. He has the same strengths, the same weaknesses. The only difference is he will watch a little more film during the week, and he will throw up on game day.

Throwing up is good. He'll feel better afterwards.

Goatcheese
05-09-2014, 10:17 AM

If their last name wasn't the same, nobody would compare them. David was more of a gunslinger with bad mechanics who wasn't great at the mental aspects, lacked commitment to perfecting his craft, and lacked leadership qualities. Derek is a much more polished passer with exceptional mechanics who learned both pro style and spread offenses, excels at reading defenses presnap and breaking down coverage, good field vision and has the leadership qualities and dedication his brother lacked. Derek also produced for his whole career, where David was more of a one year wonder.

Oh and David was seen as a tough guy with terrific poise who would stand in the pocket and take hits. Derek is seen as jittery when pressured.

Exactly the same player though.

Vinny
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM
yeah, let's get another qb who crumbles under pressure. sweet

LikeMike
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
If their last name wasn't the same, nobody would compare them. David was more of a gunslinger with bad mechanics who wasn't great at the mental aspects, lacked commitment to perfecting his craft, and lacked leadership qualities. Derek is a much more polished passer with exceptional mechanics who learned both pro style and spread offenses, excels at reading defenses presnap and breaking down coverage, good field vision and has the leadership qualities and dedication his brother lacked. Derek also produced for his whole career, where David was more of a one year wonder.

Great mechanics? He throws of his back foot a lot and his overall footwork is far from perfect. And he uses his arms too much for throwing, instead of using his whole body.

I agree that he is very different from his brother. And he is a hard worker. But let`s not act like his only problem was his inability to live with pressure. His accuracy is a major area of concern. And although he has a strong arm, he lobs most of his passes, giving defenders a chance to make a play at the ball.

Carr is a project, that imho misses the mental toughness to make it in the NFL.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
yeah, let's get another qb who crumbles under pressure. sweet

I am going to use explanation that only Vinny can understand. Past expiration date FURIKAKE.

beerlover
05-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Oh and David was seen as a tough guy with terrific poise who would stand in the pocket and take hits. Derek is seen as jittery when pressured.

body language is so similar its scary. this would break me off once & for all as fan of Texans, compounded by fact they could easily traded up to get Manziel or Bridgewater :toropalm:

Vinny
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I am going to use explanation that only Vinny can understand. Past expiration date FURIKAKE. funny, I actually have some bad (stale) Seto Fumi 'shaky' in the cabinets and it does remind me of the Carr family.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
funny, I actually have some bad (stale) Seto Fumi 'shaky' in the cabinets and it does remind me of the Carr family.

Ha ha, agree.

Honoring Earl 34
05-09-2014, 11:29 AM
funny, I actually have some bad (stale) Seto Fumi 'shaky' in the cabinets and it does remind me of the Carr family.

I would pay to see Derek bring his pa with O'Brien , a no nonsense type guy , to practice . No thanks on the Fresno mafia but I do get bored some days and need a laugh .

chicagotexan2
05-09-2014, 12:13 PM
The guys last name is Carr. It's not as bad as it would be if his name was Gacy, Rifkin or Dahmer, but I just don't want to see him as a Texan. Sometimes history matters. Either way good luck to him wherever he lands.

Errant Hothy
05-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Drafting Carr might be the only thing that would cause me to lose it in an epic fashion.

DO. NOT. WANT!

HJam72
05-09-2014, 01:41 PM

But he didn't. Not in the NFL. David was jittery too, in the pocket anyway. Bottom line is Derek will fold under pressure. Playoffs means pressure.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2014, 01:44 PM
But he didn't. Not in the NFL. David was jittery too, in the pocket anyway. Bottom line is Derek will fold under pressure. Playoffs means pressure.

Have to get there, first.

El Tejano
05-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Carr will throw pics out of spite for this board. He may even dawn the evil number and keep the curse alive. NO CARR!!!

Jimmy G in the place to be!!!

kingtexan
05-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Bottom line is Derek will fold under pressure.

We know this because of all the NFL games he has played ...

TexansSeminole
05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Carr will throw pics out of spite for this board. He may even dawn the evil number and keep the curse alive. NO CARR!!!

Jimmy G in the place to be!!!

Aren't Garopollo's numbers under pressure the worst of the QBs?

HJam72
05-09-2014, 02:30 PM
We know this because of all the NFL games he has played ...

We know this because he did it in college. He is a dump-off passer who excelled against medium to bad competition. When faced with a great defense he just looked rattled and clueless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeU_OLEdkY

kingtexan
05-09-2014, 03:31 PM
We know this because he did it in college. He is a dump-off passer who excelled against medium to bad competition. When faced with a great defense he just looked rattled and clueless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeU_OLEdkY

Again, never been coached in the NFL, never trained in the NFL, never played a down in the NFL. Wont know for sure what he will do "for certain" until he gets snaps in the NFL.