PDA

View Full Version : Texans Just TOO Slow and quick especially at WR

gafftop
11-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Texans just too slow and not quick at WR. AJ and Hopkins are basically the same. They have no one like Welker that can get open quick short. Hopkins seems really slow and doesn't get separation. He just catches the ball by making circus grabs and you can't do that all the time. No receivers get open quick and hence no one to throw to on blitzes.

I know everyone thinks Hopkins is going to be great. I don't think so. No speed to get separation and weak physically. Just my opinion but nothing special.
Does Martin or Posey play anymore?

Should be NOT quick in title.

pissknocker
11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
So draft Sammy Watkins

Bulls on Parade
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Keshawn Martin was supposed to become our version of Wes Welker but the dude never developed as a wide receiver. It's remarkable how nobody can get open at times. Andre Johnson is older and he's still our best at everything. You would think we would have stumbled upon a young stud at wide receiver by now but nope. Agreed with you about DeAndre Hopkins. He's so immature and inconsistent it's beyond frustrating. DeVier Posey has some potential but injuries have slowed him down.

WolverineFan
11-24-2013, 12:54 PM
We have no team speed whatsoever. There is not one player on offense that has breakaway speed and our defensive players are constantly overmatched.

DexmanC
11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Why was Jacoby Jones cut again?

RTP2110
11-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Texans just too slow and not quick at WR. AJ and Hopkins are basically the same. They have no one like Welker that can get open quick short. Hopkins seems really slow and doesn't get separation. He just catches the ball by making circus grabs and you can't do that all the time. No receivers get open quick and hence no one to throw to on blitzes.

I know everyone thinks Hopkins is going to be great. I don't think so. No speed to get separation and weak physically. Just my opinion but nothing special.

Does Martin or Posey play anymore?

Should be NOT quick in title.

Nope, gotta have two TE's on the field at all times!

Bulls on Parade
11-24-2013, 12:59 PM
We have no team speed whatsoever. There is not one player on offense that has breakaway speed and our defensive players are constantly overmatched.
Agreed. Even our tight ends are some of the slowest in the league. Owen Daniels, when healthy, was running much slower than he did in his younger days. Garrett Graham rarely is open because he can't get any separation. And Ryan Griffin runs about as slow as an offensive lineman.

gafftop
11-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Have been saying same thing for weeks. This team on offense reminds me of a NFL team in the 80's or a Big 10 team a few years ago as far a speed and quickness is concerned.

Past time for a change McNair.

Uncle Rico
11-24-2013, 01:08 PM
But...but... Deandre Hopkins is s game changer??

If you can't take the top off of an NFL defense you are doomed.

IDEXAN
11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Several rookie WRs have looked better than Hopkins this year. Personally I was hoping the Texans would have taken Cordarrelle Patterson on Draft day.

Mr. Texan
11-24-2013, 01:29 PM
people here will say it's on schaub and rightfully so but i like tavon austin if he's available.

speedy slot receiver who can get YAC and contribute to the return game.

i don't see a deep ball threat working for schaub because of his arm strength and reluctance to throw the bomb unless the wr is WIDE OPEN.

i like the idea of an athletic TE as well.

i said this last year but people thought it was all on schaub.

i see tons of teams in the nfl get it to thier wr's or even tight ends in space and the get YAC but with the texans our guys have defenders DRAPED on them as soon as they get the ball and immediately go down after the initial catch.

this receiving core is still in desperate need of more athleticism.

Bulls on Parade
11-24-2013, 01:34 PM
But...but... Deandre Hopkins is s game changer??

If you can't take the top off of an NFL defense you are doomed.
He has nice hands but he's too slow and his maturity level isn't where it needs to be. I don't blame Kubiak for benching him during the game last Sunday.

leebigeztx
11-24-2013, 01:57 PM
So is this a secret case keenum getting sacked thread? I agree and have been saying it for awhile. They drafted hopkins because he catches bad balls. The qb,schaub,throws bad balls. They don't have anyone who really steps on toes. That's not the end because the guys like fast enough. The offense should be able to catch and run more by using the field,but it doesn't. If big ben or someone with arm talent and mobility was the qb,we would be having this thread. The route concecpts and the ability to threaten every blade of grass would open the offense. When teams know everything is coming inside or a go rojte,the dbs are crowding those route.

dtran04
11-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Team speed is horrible on defense too. It's clear on special teams. The new guy they picked up recently (Victorian) makes it down on special teams 5 yds ahead of everybody else.

Earl34
11-24-2013, 02:37 PM
So, if our TEs are slow, why would the coaches call a formation that lines Daniels up on Richard Sherman, one of the fastest CBs in the NFL.

Is it any surprise that Sherman was laughing on his way to that pick-six? Which genius on Kirby thought that was a great idea? Fast CB > Slow TE

playa465
11-24-2013, 03:48 PM
So, if our TEs are slow, why would the coaches call a formation that lines Daniels up on Richard Sherman, one of the fastest CBs in the NFL.

Is it any surprise that Sherman was laughing on his way to that pick-six? Which genius on Kirby thought that was a great idea? Fast CB > Slow TE

Physical = Yes
One of the fastest CBs in the NFL = No
Our team still = Slow

hradhak
11-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Not sure that having a guy like Hopkins precludes us from having a burner. Hopkins now has several games of tape that teams can look at. If he's going to be good he has to start hiding his tendencies as do most rookie WRs. I also would like them to start throwing more fades and deep shots. He can excel there because of his great hands

eriadoc
11-24-2013, 05:00 PM
I swear, some of y'all are ridiculous. Rookies take time to develop. WRs seldom look great as a rookie unless they're a true phenom prospect, and even then, they get better as they play more. It's a position that takes some time. and then there's the rookie wall. Anyone who was planning on relying on Hopkins was fooling themselves. We had a thread at the beginning of the season where people were predicting tons of catches, yards, and TDs and I cautioned then against setting ridiculous expectations. The best players often have unremarkable rookie seasons. Hell, J Watt had 5.5 sacks his rookie season.

He'll be fine.

Bulls on Parade
11-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I swear, some of y'all are ridiculous. Rookies take time to develop. WRs seldom look great as a rookie unless they're a true phenom prospect, and even then, they get better as they play more. It's a position that takes some time. and then there's the rookie wall. Anyone who was planning on relying on Hopkins was fooling themselves. We had a thread at the beginning of the season where people were predicting tons of catches, yards, and TDs and I cautioned then against setting ridiculous expectations. The best players often have unremarkable rookie seasons. Hell, J Watt had 5.5 sacks his rookie season.

He'll be fine.
With a new coaching staff and quarterback in 2014. I agree.

eriadoc
11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
With a new coaching staff and quarterback in 2014. I agree.

Irrespective of QB, I agree. But Hopkins caught 18 balls in the first three weeks. The only game he's had with more than 3 catches since was against ARI, with Keenum at QB. Moreover, his YPC average was higher going into this game than it was with Schaub.

Point being, it's not the QB really. He's a rookie, the offense is screwed over right now, coaching is a mess, and the locker room is probably fractured. So whatever changes happen, he'll be fine with some stability.

JB
11-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Irrespective of QB, I agree. But Hopkins caught 18 balls in the first three weeks. The only game he's had with more than 3 catches since was against ARI, with Keenum at QB. Moreover, his YPC average was higher going into this game than it was with Schaub.

Point being, it's not the QB really. He's a rookie, the offense is screwed over right now, coaching is a mess, and the locker room is probably fractured. So whatever changes happen, he'll be fine with some stability.

agreed, but we still need some speed

MEGA SWATT
11-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Thread title fail:vincepalm: just like our team

Fitting

:whip:

:gun:

Yes we suck at most positions

eriadoc
11-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Well, sure. Team needs speed everywhere, really. But laying that at the feet of Hopkins is silly, IMO. Hopkins is going to be the best #2 WR in the game at some point, I think. But he'll never really be a true #1 in the mold of AJ, Fitz, CJ, White, etc. There aren't a ton of those guys though.

Vinny
11-25-2013, 08:58 AM
I've been complaining about our slow, plodding offense for a while now. I'm not a big fan of Hopkins either. His lack of ability to separate is profound. Almost all of his catches are contested with players draped all around him.

Mr teX
11-25-2013, 10:05 AM
I think Nuk will be fine...he's a possesion guy..fine for going over the middle. for some odd reason though, we keep sending him on fly routes & that's not his strong suit.

Martin is trash - needs to be released
Jean is trash - needs to be released

I like Posey, i think he's our 3rd guy.

OD has always looked slow to me...probably need to release him b/c of injury history and cap hit.

I'm cool with graham..i think he's ok...keep him b/c he'll be cheap.

The Pencil Neck
11-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Cause he sucked pretty bad.

MEGA SWATT
11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Cause he sucked pretty bad.

And yet somewhere else with different coaches, better QB (especially in postseason) and better leadership - he was one of the reasons the raves won a super bowl. Imagine that.

Vinny
11-25-2013, 04:12 PM
I think Nuk will be fine...he's a possesion guy..fine for going over the middle. for some odd reason though, we keep sending him on fly routes & that's not his strong suit.

Martin is trash - needs to be released
Jean is trash - needs to be released

I like Posey, i think he's our 3rd guy.

OD has always looked slow to me...probably need to release him b/c of injury history and cap hit.

I'm cool with graham..i think he's ok...keep him b/c he'll be cheap.

you find possession guys later in the draft. The no burst, no quicks, no long speed guys are a dime a dozen there. Hopkins great hands has everyone mesmerized but you can't keep throwing to guys who struggle to get open in the NFL. He doesn't have the upper body strength to manhandle guys when draped ala Fitzgerald or Boldin. I think he is seriously overvalued.

welsh texan
11-25-2013, 04:37 PM
you find possession guys later in the draft. The no burst, no quicks, no long speed guys are a dime a dozen there. Hopkins great hands has everyone mesmerized but you can't keep throwing to guys who struggle to get open in the NFL. He doesn't have the upper body strength to manhandle guys when draped ala Fitzgerald or Boldin. I think he is seriously overvalued.

You don't reckon the year 3 rule for WRs is going to apply here Vin? Usually when a rookie wideout starts to show what he's really capable of?

I'd say that great catch ability could serve him really well down the line if things do begin to fall into place for him in gaining separation.

I'm also thinking OD is probably about ready to become a cap casualty, Martin has flashed but isn't going to get that opportunity to develop being at best the 4th guy and having to split his practice time with return duty.

Posey as I've said elsewhere is on a free pass from me this season whilst still coming back from a nasty injury.

It's one position where the talent is definitely there for me, just needs the best coaxing out of it.

Exascor
11-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm not ready to dump on a rookie WR that has showed some promise. Hopkins may still develop into a solid receiver. Even Posey may still become a decent receiver. The problem with our WR core is the Kubiak system. It really doesn't allow for small, fast receivers that can take the top off the defense. Everyone has to be great blockers which limits the kind of body a receiver can have.

Time for change. We could still keep AJ, Hopkins & Posey but add some game breaking speed and the WR core would be pretty good.

4x4tx
11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
I thought Hopkins looked slow to begin with. Great hands but just doesn't have the look to me of a stud wr. Posey is one to me that does, would like to see him more.

Martin is terrible...Jean I thought showed promise and then we stopped playing him...weird

The defense is so slow..the rb from the raiders blew by dj mr sec swearinger and Joseph actually lost ground. McCain and Harris are too slow and should be cut. Rick smith needs to be held accountable for his miserable 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

The only quick looking player we have is Dennis Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

chicagotexan2
11-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I've been complaining about our slow, plodding offense for a while now. I'm not a big fan of Hopkins either. His lack of ability to separate is profound. Almost all of his catches are contested with players draped all around him.

I'd be cool with slow and prodding if the offense was tough and punishing but slow and prodding and soft is a bad threesome. I really hope the next regime does away with the cut back RB and smallish OL and establishes a smash mouth running attack.

Vinny
11-26-2013, 08:12 AM
You don't reckon the year 3 rule for WRs is going to apply here Vin? Usually when a rookie wideout starts to show what he's really capable of?

I'd say that great catch ability could serve him really well down the line if things do begin to fall into place for him in gaining separation.
I kinda see the long speed and separation of Jabbar Gaffney with the hands of Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm not ready to dump on a rookie WR that has showed some promise. Hopkins may still develop into a solid receiver. Even Posey may still become a decent receiver. The problem with our WR core is the Kubiak system. It really doesn't allow for small, fast receivers that can take the top off the defense. Everyone has to be great blockers which limits the kind of body a receiver can have.

Time for change. We could still keep AJ, Hopkins & Posey but add some game breaking speed and the WR core would be pretty good.I'm not ready to 'dump' myself him but I think he's never going to be a WR1 or a draw for any kind of chronic double team like the big time wr's in this league. Isn't that what you are supposed to be buying in the first round of the draft though?

I'd be cool with slow and prodding if the offense was tough and punishing but slow and prodding and soft is a bad threesome. I really hope the next regime does away with the cut back RB and smallish OL and establishes a smash mouth running attack.slow and plodding usually comes packaged with mean and brutish, but not with the Texans. We've truly taken on the personality of the Head Coach though...so we have that going for us.

Mr teX
11-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Yeah, i no longer think he's the heir apparent to AJ like i did when we drafted him, but i think he still has a chance to be a really good WR here with us with an offseason, new system, HC and Qb.

Basically we were about 2 years too late in drafting him...or someone like him (figures). I think if he was paired with a younger version of AJ, he'd be just what the doctor ordered. But he needs that guy opposite him that's a burner to take the top off. AJ, as great as he is & has been for us just doesn't scare guys with his speed anymore imo.

He's not ready to assume that over the middle role just yet, i think come next year, he will be.

ThaShark316
11-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Damn shame what the internet has done to rookies.

Exascor
11-26-2013, 10:46 AM
I kinda see the long speed and separation of Jabbar Gaffney with the hands of Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm not ready to 'dump' myself him but I think he's never going to be a WR1 or a draw for any kind of chronic double team like the big time wr's in this league. Isn't that what you are supposed to be buying in the first round of the draft though?

slow and plodding usually comes packaged with mean and brutish, but not with the Texans. We've truly taken on the personality of the Head Coach though...so we have that going for us.I see the Gaffney/Fitzgerald comparison. I liked Gaffney though and thought he needed better coaching. I hope Hopkins improves some more but he hasn't been even close to a bust. And...no I don't think you draft a WR in the late 1st round and EXPECT him to be the #1. You can hope he becomes one but I'd be very happy to have a 10 year starter even if it is at WR2.

The Pencil Neck
11-26-2013, 11:26 AM
And yet somewhere else with different coaches, better QB (especially in postseason) and better leadership - he was one of the reasons the raves won a super bowl. Imagine that.

He's still not very good.

You make it sound like he's suddenly blossomed into a good receiver. He hasn't. He's still a 4th-5th receiving option. His best years as a receiver were still with the Texans.

Even with us, he was only good for one or two good plays per year and with the Ravens, he just happened to make them in the playoffs. As opposed to fumbling the ball away like he did with us.

Uncle Rico
11-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Cordarrelle Patterson would have been a better pick, world class speed.

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I wish the Texans had taken TY Hilton in the 3rd rd 2 yrs ago. Or Kenny Stills in the 5th this past draft. They seem to be able to blow the top off of defenses.

How are Montgomery/T.Williams/B.Williams doing now?

This is one of the reasons why Rick needs to go.

steelbtexan
11-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Sad thing is that this isn't the yr for speed at WR overall. Watkins has speed. but I cant see spending another #1 on a WR.\

Hopefully Posey comes back healthy next yr. He's a guy who can take the top off of a defense and open things up for the underneath stuff.

JCTexan
11-26-2013, 06:41 PM

He'll be fine.

No ****... With five games left if Hopkins can get another 68 yards this season he will put up more yards his rookie season than Kevin Walter had his previous four seasons with Houston. Hopkins is only going to get better as he's targeted more.

handswarmer
11-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Too many drops?

handswarmer
11-26-2013, 07:07 PM
He's still not very good.

You make it sound like he's suddenly blossomed into a good receiver. He hasn't. He's still a 4th-5th receiving option. His best years as a receiver were still with the Texans.

Even with us, he was only good for one or two good plays per year and with the Ravens, he just happened to make them in the playoffs. As opposed to fumbling the ball away like he did with us.

He's not a #2- but he's a heck of a #3 burner...he also isn't afraid to go into traffic and catch a hit from a DB anymore. Ed Reed lit him up in the end zone and he got up- couldn't complete the catch but he got up and caught a 66yder later on....I like having him on our team. too bad he couldn't ut it all together in Houston.

welsh texan
11-27-2013, 07:18 AM
He's not a #2- but he's a heck of a #3 burner...he also isn't afraid to go into traffic and catch a hit from a DB anymore. Ed Reed lit him up in the end zone and he got up- couldn't complete the catch but he got up and caught a 66yder later on....I like having him on our team. too bad he couldn't ut it all together in Houston.

That's on coaching, too busy trying to get him to block at an elite level and god knows what other lost causes to allow him to focus on blowing a game wide open once in a while.

Guys like Jacoby aren't going to give you marginally better chance to win games every week, they will make that game winning play a few times a season. Sometimes it'll happen in the Super Bowl too.

DexmanC
11-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Jacoby Jones' speed + Case Keenum's arm/willingness to use it = TOUCHDOWN (Got the Ravens a Superbowl last year)

Trindon Holliday's speed, cheap contract, = TOUCHDOWN (Most-likely gonna get Denver one This year.)

We could have used those two gamebreakers, and Kubiak tossed both of them into the garbage because they couldn't become one of "his guys."

Now, he's pulling the same crap with Hopkins. Imagine a WR corp with Dre, Jacoby, and Hopkins. Jacoby would be used to clear room for Dre and Hopkins AND catch the occasional big TD like he did at Tennessee a few years back.

http://i36.tinypic.com/116ozh3.jpg

I guess Kubiak PREFERS an offense that isn't TOO explosive. He just wants it explosive enough to build a lead big enough to grind out 30 minutes of clock in the second half.

Exascor
11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Jacoby Jones' speed + Case Keenum's arm/willingness to use it = TOUCHDOWN (Got the Ravens a Superbowl last year)

Trindon Holliday's speed, cheap contract, = TOUCHDOWN (Most-likely gonna get Denver one This year.)

We could have used those two gamebreakers, and Kubiak tossed both of them into the garbage because they couldn't become one of "his guys."

Now, he's pulling the same crap with Hopkins. Imagine a WR corp with Dre, Jacoby, and Hopkins. Jacoby would be used to clear room for Dre and Hopkins AND catch the occasional big TD like he did at Tennessee a few years back.

I guess Kubiak PREFERS an offense that isn't TOO explosive. He just wants it explosive enough to build a lead big enough to grind out 30 minutes of clock in the second half.Jacoby Jones was a cap casualty that everyone in Houston was glad was gone. Holliday was terrible with the Texans, we had injuries at LB and needed the roster space so he was cut.

Blame Kubiak for stuff that is legitimate. There's plenty of it. No need to blame Kubiak for 2 players that were NOT good for us, were released for valid reasons and WE were all happy were released.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Jacoby Jones was a cap casualty that everyone in Houston was glad was gone. Holliday was terrible with the Texans, we had injuries at LB and needed the roster space so he was cut.

Blame Kubiak for stuff that is legitimate. There's plenty of it. No need to blame Kubiak for 2 players that were NOT good for us, were released for valid reasons and WE were all happy were released.

The person who should've been released is Joe Marciano.. because it's amazing to me how as soon as we cut both of these guys and they started playing under different coaches, they both became the top 2 return specialist in the NFL.. and it was mistakes in the return game that got them cut here.

Exascor
11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
The person who should've been released is Joe Marciano.. because it's amazing to me how as soon as we cut both of these guys and they started playing under different coaches, they both became the top 2 return specialist in the NFL.. and it was mistakes in the return game that got them cut here.Agreed and that IS on Kubiak unless Marciano has McNair's sex tape in a safety deposit box somewhere.

Say Watt
11-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I wish the Texans had taken TY Hilton in the 3rd rd 2 yrs ago. Or Kenny Stills in the 5th this past draft. They seem to be able to blow the top off of defenses.

How are Montgomery/T.Williams/B.Williams doing now?

This is one of the reasons why Rick needs to go.

Thank you!!! Took the words right off my keyboard. Rick's 2-4th round picks have been pretty damn bad if you ask me. Yes, he has hit a couple of homeruns in the first, but isn't that what every GM in the league is supposed to do?!?

Yes, Rick Smith needs to go.

Carr Bombed
11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Thank you!!! Took the words right off my keyboard. Rick's 2-4th round picks have been pretty damn bad if you ask me. Yes, he has hit a couple of homeruns in the first, but isn't that what every GM in the league is supposed to do?!?

Yes, Rick Smith needs to go.

Everyone needs to go, if the owner could fire himself he should

Say Watt
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
The person who should've been released is Joe Marciano.. because it's amazing to me how as soon as we cut both of these guys and they started playing under different coaches, they both became the top 2 return specialist in the NFL.. and it was mistakes in the return game that got them cut here.

Good post man. Back to a subject you and I can agree on.

The Jacoby cut was warranted. Trindon was still young and inexperienced and showed enough flash to hold onto him. Instead, we held onto the worst special teams coordinator in the NFL. Just a pathetically run organization from top to bottom.

Say Watt
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Everyone needs to go, if the owner could fire himself he should

MSR

handswarmer
11-28-2013, 02:06 PM
That's on coaching, too busy trying to get him to block at an elite level and god knows what other lost causes to allow him to focus on blowing a game wide open once in a while.

Guys like Jacoby aren't going to give you marginally better chance to win games every week, they will make that game winning play a few times a season. Sometimes it'll happen in the Super Bowl too.

JJ sparked the Ravens more than once last season- and not just in the playoffs.

KO returns, Punt Returns, Receiving= he made big plays before the playoff run.

Not saying he is a Jerry Rice but he has turned out to be nice addition. Now if he can stop the stripper bus incidents, then he can have a long career here.

Big Lou
11-28-2013, 10:46 PM
JJ sparked the Ravens more than once last season- and not just in the playoffs.

KO returns, Punt Returns, Receiving= he made big plays before the playoff run.

Not saying he is a Jerry Rice but he has turned out to be nice addition. Now if he can stop the stripper bus incidents, then he can have a long career here.

Yeh Jacoby sparked the Ravens even before his game checks had the Baltimore logo on them. Helped them win the divisional round in 2011.

handswarmer
11-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeh Jacoby sparked the Ravens even before his game checks had the Baltimore logo on them. Helped them win the divisional round in 2011.

that game was won before JJ muffed that punt.

Ravens defense was too much for Houston without Schaub.

welsh texan
11-30-2013, 09:41 AM
that game was won before JJ muffed that punt.

Ravens defense was too much for Houston without Schaub.

I completely disagree, chasing the lead forced tj to stare down AJ all second half despite double coverage and ed reed baiting (before his body completely broke down).

That game was totally winnable for us if we'd only been able to minimise the mistakes.

I take nothing away from the Ravens in saying that, your the better team on the day if you win because you didn't make as many mistakes.