PDA

View Full Version : After watching the last 3 games over -- blocking

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Wow, this team just cannot block at all at the line of scrimmage.
When the opposing defense wants to impose their will, they do it!

I have never seen the Texans have worse o-line, TE, and receiver
blocking -- and I've been watching since year 1..

The sheer number of negative rushing plays, negative WR screen
and bubble screen plays, and the number of times a LB comes
scott free up the middle is mind numbing...

It's as though the team has completely forgotten how to block
schematically. Either we're missing key coaching to continue to
run the zone scheme, or the people we now have just can't do it.

It's obvious when you watch everything in slow-mo -- sometimes
they look completely lost after the snap!

TJ

Uncle Rico
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Kevin Walters come back!

tvaughan
11-19-2013, 09:46 PM
The blitzing had gotten most of the attention, but you're right, the line makes average lineman look like JJ Watt. More than a few times I have seen defenders make a bee line to the QB after someone on the right side got their assignment right.

The defender made one quick move and was suddenly in the backfield.

There is something terribly wrong with this team. Our anger at Schaub's pick sixes took the focus the first six games, and now the blitzing is doing it.

But the trouble is far deeper than those things. And I think it's getting worse.

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I would completely scrap the stretch plays.

The line is getting totally blown up when they are not spreading
the field. It looks like the pistol is the safest option, but Tate
with broken ribs is probably not going to be able to take on anyone
coming in at full speed.

The goal line stuff is even worse. These guys get knocked backwards
as soon as the ball twitches..

TJ

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
And Owen Daniel too..

Kevin Walters come back!

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2013, 10:00 PM
And Owen Daniel too..

OD has never been the greatest blocker. But today he would have to be considered the best of the TEs.

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Honestly, I would completely scrap the stretch plays.

The line is getting totally blown up when they are not spreading
the field. It looks like the pistol is the safest option, but Tate
with broken ribs is probably not going to be able to take on anyone
coming in at full speed.

The goal line stuff is even worse. These guys get knocked backwards
as soon as the ball twitches..

TJ

The Pistol seemed to work well when they incorporated into Case's repertoire.

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Just having fun with names....

Owen Daniel(s) & Kevin Walter/s

Carry on..
TJ

OD has never been the greatest blocker. But today he would have to be considered the best of the TEs.

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 10:04 PM
>The Pistol seemed to work well when they incorporated into Case's repertoire.

It's the only formation that Tate seems to consistently make positive
yardage out of..

TJ

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Wow, this team just cannot block at all at the line of scrimmage.
When the opposing defense wants to impose their will, they do it!

I have never seen the Texans have worse o-line, TE, and receiver
blocking -- and I've been watching since year 1..

The sheer number of negative rushing plays, negative WR screen
and bubble screen plays, and the number of times a LB comes
scott free up the middle is mind numbing...

It's as though the team has completely forgotten how to block
schematically. Either we're missing key coaching to continue to
run the zone scheme, or the people we now have just can't do it.

It's obvious when you watch everything in slow-mo -- sometimes
they look completely lost after the snap!

TJ

Wish I could rep you. The Texans certainly have developed that total LOST in space look.:kubepalm:

Scooter
11-19-2013, 10:15 PM
my issue is the shotgun and pistol. i'm not an expert on blocking, but teams that dont have their quarterback under center tend to have a lot of problems run blocking. you have to build your line for that style of offense, and those offenses are built around elite quarterbacks - brady, manning, rodgers, etc. the only one that doesnt fit that is the saints, they have a top 3-5 quarterback but still put a ton of emphasis on keeping the running game active with scheme, money, and draft picks. since we're built to run block in the zone scheme, we are having a lot of trouble trying to adjust 10 players to fit the new #1.

i 100% believe that if we can get keenum comfortable under center we'll be a WHOOOOLE lot more consistent and it will improve our blocking to at least last year's level. it will keep teams from coming after the quarterback because doing so will open running lanes, and it will give keenum more opportunities to play-action into 8 second plays that find someone deep. part of that is because the line WANTS to run block, they get to impose their will. spending all day dropping and being a little off with the long snap is exhausting and the defense gets to adjust individually and schematically to get through.

Uncle Rico
11-19-2013, 10:21 PM
my issue is the shotgun and pistol. i'm not an expert on blocking, but teams that dont have their quarterback under center tend to have a lot of problems run blocking. you have to build your line for that style of offense, and those offenses are built around elite quarterbacks - brady, manning, rodgers, etc. the only one that doesnt fit that is the saints, they have a top 3-5 quarterback but still put a ton of emphasis on keeping the running game active with scheme, money, and draft picks. since we're built to run block in the zone scheme, we are having a lot of trouble trying to adjust 10 players to fit the new #1.

i 100% believe that if we can get keenum comfortable under center we'll be a WHOOOOLE lot more consistent and it will improve our blocking to at least last year's level. it will keep teams from coming after the quarterback because doing so will open running lanes, and it will give keenum more opportunities to play-action into 8 second plays that find someone deep. part of that is because the line WANTS to run block, they get to impose their will. spending all day dropping and being a little off with the long snap is exhausting and the defense gets to adjust individually and schematically to get through.

Common sense really, hand the ball off to a runner with forward momentum or hand the ball off to a stationary runner while the defense gains the forward momentum.

speedfreek
11-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Honestly, watching some of the stretch runs, our o-line seems to
be so slow moving post snap that sometimes d-linemen are getting
into the gaps and cutting off the runner before any lanes even
develop.

If the QB keeps it, the same d-lineman is getting a free shot at the
QB.

What I think would work (or at least help a bunch) is to get our
guys in pistol more (which gives the QB a run/pass option) and
speed up the entire attack by using the sugar-huddle or 2 minute drill..

The best way to help our slow o-line play is to wear the defense down
and slow them up as well.

In fact, it actually pissed me off when Gary put in Schaub and went
2-minute drill in the 3rd Q last week. He could do that with Schaub and
not Keenum?

Keenum ran the fastest offense in the NCAA for 3 of his 4 years!!

TJ

TejasTom
11-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Wish I could rep you. The Texans certainly have developed that total LOST in space look.:kubepalm:

Got him for you.

Danger Case Keenum, danger.
http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/robot.jpg

Bulls on Parade
11-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Not having a reliable running game certainly hurts us. We don't even have the chance to dictate the pace of the game anymore. It used to be that we could run the ball down other teams' throats, especially the bad teams, but that's no longer an option and opposing defenses know it. The Jaguars defensive line will probably look good on Sunday.

thunderkyss
11-20-2013, 08:33 AM
I've said things about Case that makes some people think I am biased against him. However, all things considering, the injuries we've sustained on offense, the issue with Kubiak's health, the issues at RT... the offense is doing "well"

The defense, on the other hand... we can't be giving up TDs every time we turn the ball over & we can't be giving up 28 points to undrafted rookies on their first start & we can't be giving up 80 yard TD runs to guys who run a 4.5 forty.

Had anyone made a tackle, had Dj Swearinger not get trucked... Schaub would have watched Case win his first game as a Houston Texan at home.

If we had anyone other than Brice McCain playing CB... if we could have kept him off the field, the Raiders just might have scored 14 points less than they did on Sunday.

HJam72
11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
I just want to reiterate that, yes, the blocking really does suck monkey's...

:kitten:

Insideop
11-20-2013, 11:34 AM
I've said things about Case that makes some people think I am biased against him. However, all things considering, the injuries we've sustained on offense, the issue with Kubiak's health, the issues at RT... the offense is doing "well"

The defense, on the other hand... we can't be giving up TDs every time we turn the ball over & we can't be giving up 28 points to undrafted rookies on their first start & we can't be giving up 80 yard TD runs to guys who run a 4.5 forty.

Had anyone made a tackle, had Dj Swearinger not get trucked... Schaub would have watched Case win his first game as a Houston Texan at home.

If we had anyone other than Brice McCain playing CB... if we could have kept him off the field, the Raiders just might have scored 14 points less than they did on Sunday.

While I agree with the problems you've mentioned on Offense the same could be said for the Defense. The loss of Cushing and Manning. The issues with Ed Reed. The issues with B. McCain. The issues with the lack of sacks/pressure from the OLB's. Other than that the Defense is playing well.

Face it, this team has lost a lot of talent, and I'm not just talking about injuries either. This team has lost a lot the last 2 years due to the salary cap! Anyone, unless they're blind, can look at the O-line and LBers and see they've lost talent and haven't been able to replace it. One bad or unproductive draft class, plus some key injuries, and you can see what happens. Guys that were being counted on to fill the voids of those who left aren't there. Some teams are good enough and lucky enough to fill those voids, or their coaches have built up enough reputation (winning seasons) to weather a down year or 2, but I don't think Kubes has. And, Smith might be going too!

thunderkyss
11-21-2013, 12:02 AM
While I agree with the problems you've mentioned on Offense the same could be said for the Defense. The loss of Cushing and Manning. The issues with Ed Reed. The issues with B. McCain. The issues with the lack of sacks/pressure from the OLB's. Other than that the Defense is playing well.

True... true...

But 28 points to a 1st time starting undrafted free agent rookie. An 80 yard TD drive to a guy who runs a 4.5 forty...

Seegara
11-22-2013, 09:50 AM
They need more goal line running plays than the handoff to the RB 9 yards deep in the backfield.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-22-2013, 10:24 AM
They need more goal line running plays than the handoff to the RB 9 yards deep in the backfield.

I'd love to see that, but I can't remember the last time we have needed a yard and got it with our O-Line. Short yardage runs IMO are probably our biggest weakness due to the line always losing the LOS battle. The only hope is Zone blocking stretch and that doesn't seem to work too well in short yardage situations, these guys can't muscle anyone for a yard.

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2013, 10:52 AM

The ZBS (and our team specifically) has never been built for goal line stands.......and for the most part, unfortunately passing in those situations has been an afterthought for Kubiak.

Vinny
11-22-2013, 11:53 AM
for a ZBS team we are AWFUL blocking in space. ZBS teams should be masters at second level blocking and should be elite screen teams since they should have better feet than power blocking types...but if you watch the games closely you will notice that we are an AWFUL screen team.

HOU-TEX
11-22-2013, 11:58 AM
for a ZBS team we are AWFUL blocking in space. ZBS teams should be masters at second level blocking and should be elite screen teams since they should have better feet than power blocking types...but if you watch the games closely you will notice that we are an AWFUL screen team.

I think we did all of the above really well back in 2011. I'm not sure what happened other than the losses of Winston and Brisiel

TejasTom
11-22-2013, 12:22 PM
I think Foster masked a lot of inadequacies in the O-line.

TexansBull
11-22-2013, 12:31 PM
I think Foster masked a lot of inadequacies in the O-line.

Except Derek Newton. Foster couldn't work a miracle on that guy.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Scooter
11-22-2013, 12:33 PM
my issue with our screens is they take so long to develop. it's not just a screen, it's a play-action pump fake to one side screen to the other. by that time the defense has sniffed it out. the screen is supposed to expose the rush by turning their attack on the quarterback into a quick hit, not a 5 second slow developing play behind the line of scrimmage.

datchapin
11-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't think we're as bad as some bill us to be. Both Tate and Foster avg. 4.5 YPC this season and we rank 12th in the league in regards to YPG at 120 YPG. What I see as the problem (and this is nothing new) is that we get away from the running game. We don't consistently go to it late in games and when we do it is in bad situations. Instead of wearing down the D and making them pay for it later we get away from it rely on the pass too heavily and keep their defense fresh. It's always bothered me because Kubiak has always said, we need to stick to the running game because it opens up our offense. Well then, do it.

Passing, there simply is no excuse. It doesn't matter if the QB is under center or in shotgun a lineman's job is to block and buy time. Our O-line at times just looks lost. Not able to pick up the blitz. Head up, feet chopping, use peripheral vision if no one engages you immediately, move back in order to pick up anyone that comes your way. I've seen occasions where one of our guys goes to help another lineman and leaves his hole wide open. That's unacceptable. It shouldn't happen at all much less 4-5 a game. That's embarrassing and that is on the coaching. You're not going to stop every blitz, but our performance in pass blocking thus far is more to do with mental preparation than with talent. I would be more tolerant if our guys lost the battle, but that they don't even know where to be to engage the defenders just leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth.

Brisco_County
11-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm fine with the ZBS, but it's fundamentally disadvantaged in the red zone. Lighter, faster offensive linemen vs. a compressed defense where linebackers and DB's can support the defensive line. I thought Brandon Brooks would be a solution in one way, but I don't know what happened there.

CloakNNNdagger
11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Kubiak:

(on the problems in the second half of games recently) “Yeah, it’s something we’ve talked about. We’ve got a few ideas. I’m not going to share them with you, but I’m going to try something different. But we’ve struggled coming out offensively in the third quarter. We’ve struggled because I think we’ve struggled to run the ball consistently this year as a football team. Defensively, we’ve given up big plays in the third quarter. We’ll shuffle some things this week and try to do some things better, but we’ve got to play a complete football game.”

(on starting out slowly in the first quarter with turnovers) “Well, I know the last two weeks, we’ve basically spotted a team 21 points when you think about turnovers. The one in Arizona that led to a touchdown. So we’ve played form behind in a lot of football games this year. We have battled back and got our self in position to win in what the last four weeks. We’ve had the ball with a chance to win the football game, but haven’t finished.”

BTW, Kubiak will again be coaching from the heavens...........

Tailgate
11-22-2013, 06:43 PM
O-Line is the #1 reason for our free fall imo and we have been getting progressively worse here for years.

Alex Gibbs.

Double Barrel
11-22-2013, 07:06 PM
O-Line is the #1 reason for our free fall imo and we have been getting progressively worse here for years.

Alex Gibbs.

yep, agree completely. I just typed the same in another thread. Both sides of the trenches need major upgrades to compliment Watt and Brown.

How Newton was seen as a viable RT is beyond my comprehension. Dude has been horrible regardless of who is behind center. He doesn't even look like a somewhat decent backup, much less a full time starter.

JPPT1974
11-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Next year's draft should hire an OL as the #1 draft pick!

thunderkyss
11-23-2013, 01:49 AM

I'd love to see them stack the line with 7 Offensive linemen, 1 TE, another offensive lineman as a FB & a RB. Snap the ball, run left, see Ben Tate hit a pile of ugly & push the line as hard as he can.

Then see Case in the back of the end zone on the right side holding the football doing Jacoby's dance.

:koolaid:

CloakNNNdagger
11-23-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd love to see them stack the line with 7 Offensive linemen, 1 TE, another offensive lineman as a FB & a RB. Snap the ball, run left, see Ben Tate hit a pile of ugly & push the line as hard as he can.

Then see Case in the back of the end zone on the right side holding the football doing Jacoby's dance.

:koolaid:

Who knows, Kubiak is saying that there will be changes in the Jags game that he is not going to be revealing at this time. I hope he put in a call to Art Briles to get some suggestions.:pirate:

dream_team
11-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Alex Gibbs.

I agree, but WTH happened!? We got the same exact guys from last season, the same coaches... yet they are so much worse!

CloakNNNdagger
11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I agree, but WTH happened!? We got the same exact guys from last season, the same coaches... yet they are so much worse!

One thing about the OL that hasn't helped is that Newton was never given a chance to recover from his patella tendon surgery, Smith from his bone bruise, Brown from his ankle bone spurs and turf toe, and Brooks from his turf toe.

Tailgate
11-23-2013, 07:11 PM
One thing about the OL that hasn't helped is that Newton was never given a chance to recover from his patella tendon surgery, Smith from his bone bruise, Brown from his ankle bone spurs and turf toe, and Brooks from his turf toe.

Not to mention we peaked here shortly after Gibbs left. What he built was no more after 2011. Our Oline wasnt that good last year.