PDA

View Full Version : (Grantland/Barnwell) How the Texans FELL FROM GRACE

Lord Bills
11-14-2013, 03:35 AM
The writing has been on the wall for the 2-7 Houston Texans for a while now. On Tuesday, the organization waved the white flag. The Texans placed star running back Arian Foster on injured reserve with an undisclosed back injury that will require surgery. On the other side of the ball, they released offseason pickup Ed Reed after just seven games in Houston, with the future Hall of Famer having fallen out of the starting lineup after the team's bye week. He played just 12 snaps on defense in Houston's loss to Arizona last Sunday. Combined with the benching of Matt Schaub for Case Keenum, it's safe to say that the Texans are playing for 2014.

What's so surprising is how quickly things fell apart in Houston. Sure, it was reasonable to expect that the Texans wouldn't go 12-4 again; they were 5-0 in games decided by one touchdown or less last year, and they're 2-4 this year. The talent level here was supposed to be immune to a season this bad. As recently as the 2011 playoffs, the Texans roster might very well have been the envy of the league, full of talented young players on team-friendly rookie contracts, thanks to the drafting acumen of general manager Rick Smith.

That's no longer the case. Moves made by the organization over the past several seasons left the Texans with a series of toxic contracts, deals they've either had or will have to dump while assuming dead money in the process. Elsewhere, players have failed to develop or struggled to replace the talent that a cap-strapped Texans team had to let go elsewhere. Detailing those decisions gives a sense of where things went wrong for Houston and how they've fallen so far off the competitive map in 2013.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/82344/how-the-texans-fell-from-grace

Long article. Barnwell goes as far back as 2010 and discusses notable signings.

Not a good look for the GM.

Happy187
11-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the cool article link.

Uncle Rico
11-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Guys at Grantland are usually insightful, this was a pretty generic timeline culminating in "Smith is a good GM" ? Thanks for the hours of research. In football you never give big deals out until the last minute, players hold little leverage in negotiations.

Vinny
11-14-2013, 08:42 AM
We need a GM with some cap experience and one that doesn't need on the job training. Also, we need a GM that is "in charge". That would be nice.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2013, 09:05 AM
We need a GM with some cap experience and one that doesn't need on the job training. Also, we need a GM that is "in charge". That would be nice.

You think McNair's going to buy out that much of his contract? I don't, and unfortunately, I think all of our HC candidate talk is moot as well.

I just wonder if McNair will have Kubiak coach a lame duck year or extend him. lol

76Texan
11-14-2013, 09:17 AM
They forgot Manning and OD.

Honoring Earl 34
11-14-2013, 09:21 AM
You think McNair's going to buy out that much of his contract? I don't, and unfortunately, I think all of our HC candidate talk is moot as well.

I just wonder if McNair will have Kubiak coach a lame duck year or extend him. lol

We haven't heard much from Bob lately .

Vinny
11-14-2013, 09:28 AM

I just wonder if McNair will have Kubiak coach a lame duck year or extend him. lolMcNair and his organization has a bad habit of rewarding pseudo-success and potential (starting but not ending with the David Carr situation). I think perhaps he needs to learn how to reward something beyond progress and potential. I think we are in new territory here.

Texian
11-14-2013, 09:41 AM
No, I didn't write this article but I could've. Several of my comments have expressed most of these same points of view.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2013, 09:48 AM
McNair and his organization has a bad habit of rewarding pseudo-success and potential (starting but not ending with the David Carr situation). I think perhaps he needs to learn how to reward something beyond progress and potential. I think we are in new territory here.

I sure hope you're right. I've probably been sounding like a broken record saying it'll be status quo next season. It's hard to believe otherwise due to our history of you just mentioned.

This sucks! We're cap screwed. We're coach screwed and we're GM screwed.

EllisUnit
11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
I dont need anyone to tell me how the texans "fell from grace" I have watched every damn game, seen every player released/signed, so i dont need to waste anytime on another article from someone who just reads about the team and sees the occasional highlight.

Texian
11-14-2013, 09:56 AM
I sure hope you're right. I've probably been sounding like a broken record saying it'll be status quo next season. It's hard to believe otherwise due to our history of you just mentioned.

This sucks! We're cap screwed. We're coach screwed and we're GM screwed.

The good news is it's ALL FIXABLE.

Texian
11-14-2013, 11:13 AM
IMHO you can add the following to the list of Barnwell's reasons for the Texans demise:

Bob McNair said in 2006 that Bob Kraft, a fellow owner, was his friend and mentor. In 2006 after the Patriots had won 3 out of 5 Super Bowls, Bob said he was going to use "The Patriot Model" to build his team. Understandable and made sense at the time. Building his "Patriot Model" Bob hired Gary Kubiak to be his Bill Belichick and Rick Smith to be Gary's Scott Pioli. Gary traded for Matt Schaub to be his Tom Brady.

The flaw in the Bob's "Patriot Model" is unlike Belichick who not only had a great mind for the X and Os in all three phases of the game, Belichick had a very good understanding of the dollar and cents of the salary cap, an eye for talent and also how to organize, prepare and run the team NFL draft. With Gary Kubiak, Bob has a head coach who has Belichick power but has demonstrated he is ONLY very good at the X and Os on the offense.

After 8 years it has become clear that Gary Kubiak is NOT Bill Belichick, Rick Smith is not Scott Pioli and Matt Schaub is not Tom Brady. Maybe the time has come for Bob McNair to scrap his "Patriot Model" and adopt the "Packers Model" or the "Ravens Model" and find his Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome. The first place Bob should look is to Eric DeCosta, 17 years in the Ravens system, schooled in all departments, learned from Ozzie and promoted to Assistant GM. The first head coach Bob and Eric should talk to is David Shaw.

TexansFight
11-14-2013, 11:17 AM

I would hire Eric DeCosta right now. The Ravens have been smart with the cap and have been a good team for more than a decade.

CretorFrigg
11-14-2013, 11:22 AM
tl;dr version for you kids out there: It is Rick Smith's fault.

I agree.

noxiousdog
11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
That article seems to vindicate Smith, not hurt him.

Walter: That's not a terrible contract. Only 8 was guaranteed and he was a veteran receiver. I'm sure Kubiak was saying he was the guy he wanted too.

Ryans: You don't know he's going to tear his achilles causing you to need to draft Cushing.

Joseph: Again, no alternative. We HAD to have a good veteran corner, and even with his current play, he's been significantly better than Asomugha.

Foster: I'm never a fan of paying running backs, but from an organization, fan, and owner standpoint, I'm not sure there was much choice here.

Mario: clearly the right decision.

Brisel: clearly the right decision.

Winston: clearly the right decision.

Bullock: That had to be Kubiak, not Smith.

Schaub: I bet that was a Kubiak decision, the contract isn't terrible, and it's structured so we can get out of it.

Reed: Awful.

Cushing: Guys get injured.

That's a lot more good decisions than bad ones.

EllisUnit
11-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Walter: That's not a terrible contract. Only 8 was guaranteed and he was a veteran receiver. I'm sure Kubiak was saying he was the guy he wanted too.

Ryans: You don't know he's going to tear his achilles causing you to need to draft Cushing.

Joseph: Again, no alternative. We HAD to have a good veteran corner, and even with his current play, he's been significantly better than Asomugha.

Foster: I'm never a fan of paying running backs, but from an organization, fan, and owner standpoint, I'm not sure there was much choice here.

Schaub: I bet that was a Kubiak decision, the contract isn't terrible, and it's structured so we can get out of it.

Dont agree, we should of kept Winston. He is worlds better than newton could ever dream of being

noxiousdog
11-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Dont agree, we should of kept Winston. He is worlds better than newton could ever dream of being

Not at that price tag. It was an easy cut.

EllisUnit
11-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Have you looked at our offensive line this season ? Whats more important a good o-line or saving a few bucks that u eventually blow on a washed up safety

noxiousdog
11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Have you looked at our offensive line this season ? Whats more important a good o-line or saving a few bucks that u eventually blow on a washed up safety

Winston still sucks, as evidenced by being cut by two more teams (I thought he was in Raider's camp, but maybe not), and being on a new bad O-line.

You're right, the o-line clearly needs improved and Newton's terrible, but that doesn't negate the Winston decision.

EllisUnit
11-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Winston still sucks, as evidenced by being cut by two more teams (I thought he was in Raider's camp, but maybe not), and being on a new bad O-line.

You're right, the o-line clearly needs improved and Newton's terrible, but that doesn't negate the Winston decision.

Well we had one of the best O-lines in the NFL, allowed fewest sacks and also led the NFL in rushing yards if im not mistaken that last season we had both Brisel and Winston, soooo stats from then to now would have to say that the 2 of them together helped make this one of the best o-lines in the league.

beerlover
11-14-2013, 11:58 AM
After 8 years it has become clear that Gary Kubiak is NOT Bill Belichick, Rick Smith is not Scott Pioli and Matt Schaub is not Tom Brady. Maybe the time has come for Bob McNair to scrap his "Patriot Model" and adopt the "Packers Model" or the "Ravens Model" and find his Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome. The first place Bob should look is to Eric DeCosta, 17 years in the Ravens system, schooled in all departments, learned from Ozzie and promoted to Assistant GM. The first head coach Bob and Eric should talk to is David Shaw.

First hire the GM please, would be fine with DeCosta. Could he remove Shaw from the farm & would he be so inclined? Personally I would love to see it happen. Shaw runs a terrific football program & I would argue took what Harbaugh handed him & just ran with it. So if you like that tough, smart, old school football approach he is your guy :cheese:

Mr. White
11-14-2013, 12:03 PM

I agree with a lot of that except "Brisiel was clearly the right decision." What is that take based on?

You also forgot this one:

Quin: clearly the wrong decision.

Texian
11-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Winston's play today is totally irrelevant to the future of the Texans. His last year as a Texan he was one of the better RTs in the game. Where the Texans have failed, is the inadequate band aids used in 2012 & 2013 to replace one of the better RTs in 2011. If you want to say they made the right decision in releasing Winston then you have to say they made a worse decision on how they should replace him.

infantrycak
11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree with a lot of that except "Brisiel was clearly the right decision." What is that take based on?

You have to consider the market value. Brisiel got a 5 year $20 mil deal and almost got cut in the 1st year. I agree with eriadoc's take - the bigger problem on this is no adequate replacement was found.

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Well we had one of the best O-lines in the NFL, allowed fewest sacks and also led the NFL in rushing yards if im not mistaken that last season we had both Brisel and Winston, soooo stats from then to now would have to say that the 2 of them together helped make this one of the best o-lines in the league.

yep, I agree.

There is an Aristotle quote that comes to mind: "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts"

And this was the Texans o-line when they had the longest running tenure in the NFL of starting linemen. There is something to be said about the intangibles of a unit working together over a period of time to the point that it becomes instinctive.

Of course, lets' not forget Alex Gibbs was the o-line coach for a couple of years, and combined with an experienced veteran line, they really made one of the better units in the league for awhile.

noxiousdog
11-14-2013, 12:32 PM

In an infinite cap situation, you're right. Keeping him and Winston would have been fine. But you can't do that.

You also forgot this one:

Quin: clearly the wrong decision.

Probably. And that is lumped into the Reed decision which was awful, but Quin wasn't mentioned in the piece.

At the same time, rumblings are that it was a Phillips/McNair decision, not Smith. Of course that could just be him trying to save his job too.

Playoffs
11-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Not addressing RT adequately is the glaring mistake. Injuries hurt this year, especially Quessenberry's trip/fall broken foot & drafting injured/injury prone Brennan Williams.

Losing Winston's/DeMeco's personalities left leadership voids.

For me, what caught us was the flattened salary cap. I hate that. For where our team was, the timing was awful.

EllisUnit
11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
yep, I agree.

There is an Aristotle quote that comes to mind: "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts"

And this was the Texans o-line when they had the longest running tenure in the NFL of starting linemen. There is something to be said about the intangibles of a unit working together over a period of time to the point that it becomes instinctive.

Of course, lets' not forget Alex Gibbs was the o-line coach for a couple of years, and combined with an experienced veteran line, they really made one of the better units in the league for awhile.

Yep your right, their attempts at replacing him was a joke. Newton is one of the worst tackles i have seen in a long time. If anything R Harris should be the starting RT at this point IMO.

Texian
11-14-2013, 12:50 PM

In addition are the absence of Leach and Dreessen. Both were very instrumental in their blocking. One was usually assigned and game planned to help out Duane Brown his first 3 years in the league.

In essence the Texans failed to adequately replace most of the players/starters that left 2011 Texan team.

Lord Bills
11-14-2013, 12:52 PM
April 28: Houston drafts kicker Randy Bullock in the fifth round. Drafting kickers essentially amounts to a crapshoot; the Texans took Bullock, a 2011 All-American, one round before the Vikings selected Blair Walsh and the Rams selected Greg Zuerlein. Bullock missed his entire rookie season with an injury, leading the Texans to use veteran Shayne Graham as a middling fill-in during 2012. Healthy again in 2013, Bullock has been a disaster. He's hit just 14 of his first 23 attempts as a pro, including two home games with three misses each. Bullock's work as a kicker this year has cost the Texans 14 points per Football Outsiders; he's been nearly twice as bad as the second-worst kicker in the league, Garrett Hartley (-8.1 points). This could just be a small sample, but it's also entirely possible that the Texans landed on a bad kicker.

smdh.... you just know kubiak and his aggieness was the cause of this. that or joe marciano.

either way its all bad.

Lord Bills
11-14-2013, 12:56 PM
IMHO you can add the following to the list of Barnwell's reasons for the Texans demise:

Bob McNair said in 2006 that Bob Kraft, a fellow owner, was his friend and mentor. In 2006 after the Patriots had won 3 out of 5 Super Bowls, Bob said he was going to use "The Patriot Model" to build his team. Understandable and made sense at the time. Building his "Patriot Model" Bob hired Gary Kubiak to be his Bill Belichick and Rick Smith to be Gary's Scott Pioli. Gary traded for Matt Schaub to be his Tom Brady.

The flaw in the Bob's "Patriot Model" is unlike Belichick who not only had a great mind for the X and Os in all three phases of the game, Belichick had a very good understanding of the dollar and cents of the salary cap, an eye for talent and also how to organize, prepare and run the team NFL draft. With Gary Kubiak, Bob has a head coach who has Belichick power but has demonstrated he is ONLY very good at the X and Os on the offense.

I like this part. My only fear is that bob mcnair does not have that out of the box type of thinking to hire somebody like that. Mcnair from what ive seen so far is from the old school type mentality where his hires are from the good old boy network or somebody safe with a track record or somebody his crony referred to him.

Its the complete opposite of the best owner in houston sports, Les Alexander who after seeing Carroll Dawson's age start to chip away at his effectiveness, hired a young, out of the box replacement in Daryl Morey.

I love your idea, i just dont think Mcnair has the foresight to make a move like that.

speedfreek
11-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Too bad you can't trade a GM and have his bad contracts go with him...

TJ

Texian
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
I like this part. My only fear is that bob mcnair does not have that out of the box type of thinking to hire somebody like that. Mcnair from what ive seen so far is from the old school type mentality where his hires are from the good old boy network or somebody safe with a track record or somebody his crony referred to him.

Its the complete opposite of the best owner in houston sports, Les Alexander who after seeing Carroll Dawson's age start to chip away at his effectiveness, hired a young, out of the box replacement in Daryl Morey.

I love your idea, i just dont think Mcnair has the foresight to make a move like that.

Agree, Bob McNair must find a higher level to the "Commitment to Excellence".

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Who says Eric DeCosta even wants to come to Houston?

Texian
11-14-2013, 04:26 PM

With a several million $$$ pay raise.....Mrs. DeCosta.

IlliniJen
11-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Part of me wants to see what Rick Smith can do when he's in charge and not under the sway of Kubes, et al.

And then the other part of me just wants a clean sweep of the entire coaching and front office staff, Smith included.

infantrycak
11-14-2013, 05:08 PM

The Ravens have already feathered his nest:

On Friday, the Ravens announced that director of player personnel Eric DeCosta will not be leaving for any of the various G.M. positions that currently are open.

What the Ravens didn’t announce is that, for the duration of DeCosta’s new contract, his name won’t continue to come up every time a G.M. job becomes available.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated and Football Night In America reported during our halftime pop on the U.S Army All-American Bowl that DeCosta is prevented from leaving, in exchange for a new deal that, per King, will pay DeCosta G.M. money.

So, basically, any team looking for a new G.M. in the foreseeable future can pull one name out of the “D” file.

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/07/decostas-new-deal-keeps-him-from-leaving-baltimore/)

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
With a several million $$$ pay raise.....Mrs. DeCosta.

He is now the Assistant General Manager in Baltimore since 2012.

Dude is only 42 years old. He's being groomed to take Ozzie Newsome's place, so let's keep reality in the picture.

And then there's 'cak's link to enlighten it even more. BOOM.

BigBull
11-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Part of me wants to see what Rick Smith can do when he's in charge and not under the sway of Kubes, et al.

And then the other part of me just wants a clean sweep of the entire coaching and front office staff, Smith included.

This is exactly how I feel, but I fear McNair will not make any changes with the hc or gm.

Sent from the toilet...

drs23
11-14-2013, 05:57 PM
First hire the GM please, would be fine with DeCosta. Could he remove Shaw from the farm & would he be so inclined? Personally I would love to see it happen. Shaw runs a terrific football program & I would argue took what Harbaugh handed him & just ran with it. So if you like that tough, smart, old school football approach he is your guy :cheese:

But could "the kids" handle such a "traumatic" change?:kitten:

Texian
11-14-2013, 06:00 PM
He is now the Assistant General Manager in Baltimore since 2012.

Dude is only 42 years old. He's being groomed to take Ozzie Newsome's place, so let's keep reality in the picture.

And then there's 'cak's link to enlighten it even more. BOOM.

and a Nick Saban is not leaving the Dolphins to become Alabama's coach.

The DeCosta contract was done a few years ago and he has been designated GM in waiting. The problem here is Ozzie Newsome only 57 yrs old. DeCosta may get tired of waiting and if a better deal comes along than waiting on Ozzie for 5 - 10 years I can't imagine Decosta wouldn't jump at it, especially if it is something that he has wanted for a long time.

steelbtexan
11-14-2013, 06:11 PM

For all of this the team is terrible and there needs to be fresh blood at GM/HC.

Texian
11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
But could "the kids" handle such a "traumatic" change?:kitten:

This is actually a very credible point. Does Bob McNair suffer from some degree of Jerry Jones syndrome. Is Bob willing to tell the kiddos that a new GM has full control of all football operations and they are losing some of their toys and will have to share. Jerry don't share. What about Bob?

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 06:25 PM
and a Nick Saban is not leaving the Dolphins to become Alabama's coach.

The DeCosta contract was done a few years ago and he has been designated GM in waiting. The problem here is Ozzie Newsome only 57 yrs old. DeCosta may get tired of waiting and if a better deal comes along than waiting on Ozzie for 5 - 10 years I can't imagine Decosta wouldn't jump at it, especially if it is something that he has wanted for a long time.

I understand your desire to hire Eric DeCosta. He would probably be an excellent replacement.

But his new deal - paying him full price GM salary - was just last year (2012).

He has already turned down GM offers from the Bears and Seahawks.

An article from earlier this year:

Eric DeCosta happy he's still with the Ravens

"It's a relationship business," DeCosta told The Baltimore Sun on Thursday at the NFL scouting combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. "I'm fortunate to work with a bunch of great guys. It's a great place to work. I appreciate that side of the business. Individual achievement comes and goes. At the end of the day, you look at the guys you work with, and the friendships you develop, and that's the most important thing.

Full Article - January 2013 (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-eric-decosta-happy-hes-still-with-ravens-enjoying-his-evaluation-of-strong-draft-20130221,0,4532369.story)

Not everyone is a Nick Saban selling out to the highest bidder. Some people actually value where they're at and the relationships they've built while still getting paid a great salary that they would make somewhere else. I know loyalty is a foreign concept to some folks, but it is still a valued trait for others.

Texian
11-14-2013, 06:59 PM
I understand your desire to hire Eric DeCosta. He would probably be an excellent replacement.

But his new deal - paying him full price GM salary - was just last year (2012).

He has already turned down GM offers from the Bears and Seahawks.

An article from earlier this year:

Not everyone is a Nick Saban selling out to the highest bidder. Some people actually value where they're at and the relationships they've built while still getting paid a great salary that they would make somewhere else. I know loyalty is a foreign concept to some folks, but it is still a valued trait for others.

I understand

I also understand people will have the propensity to say the right things in a given situation. I understand people being politically correct. I understand people being positive with high praise for those who are signing your paycheck. I have also seen several similar situations were the person in waiting, gets tired of waiting.

I do believe that the Chicago and Seattle situations didn't offer full control, final say on the 53 man roster. It was a 2nd fiddle situation to the head coach. That does make a difference, it's why Jeff Fisher went to St Louis instead of Miami. Understandable why DeCosta would pass. When and if Ozzie does retire DeCosta would've full control over all football operations. If DeCosta were to leave it would have to be for the same situation he will inherit in Baltimore.

It doesn't hurt to ask, all he can do is say no but he could say yes. You'll never know if you don't ask. So I am all in until DeCosta says no or McNair disappoints, regardless whether Cak says no or it won't happen.

eriadoc
11-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Any one of the Texans moves can be rationalized away, but it's hard to ignore the sum of the moves. Sometimes, the guy they think is going to step up doesn't, or gets injured. Cushing going down twice is hard luck, and impossible to predict. But predicting Sharpton missing time is anything your average football fan can do. So making Sharpton a serious piece of your replacement plan is stupid. I give them more of a pass on Brandon Harris being a bust than I do for their RT being a bust, for example.

Also, injuries can't be predicted, but expiring contracts and cap management can. So when Mario was coming up on his big payday, the team drafted Reed and Barwin to try and take up the slack. However those moves panned out, they seriously addressed that situation by spending high draft picks on the position. Winston's contract was perfectly predictable because they crafted it. So to say he was making too much is fine, but since they knew it was coming up, I expect a better replacement plan than a 7th round draft pick and a backup that never ousted Winston. That was not well thought out. Brisiel was a little long in the tooth, and they probably thought he would no longer be as good as he was. OK, that's fine, but they let him go and relied on Caldwell, who by that point had established that he wasn't getting it done. I was a Caldwell advocate when he was drafted, but by the time Brisiel left, I had mostly written off Caldwell. So I expect a better replacement plan on predictable, "plan for this" situations.

Here's another one that may jump up and bite them soon - running back. You couldn't really predict Foster's injury situation (though you could argue the workload), but you know exactly when Tate's contract is up. You also have a pretty good idea that he wants to go elsewhere and take a shot at being a starter. So what have the Texans done to address this upcoming shortage at running back? Dennis Johnson and Ray Graham, I guess. Now, RB is the one position where a rookie can make the most impact, so it may not be a big deal, but I still think I'd have a higher opinion of the Texans brain trust if they were planning for these departures.

ArlingtonTexan
11-14-2013, 11:17 PM
I am glad that some one did this because I was thinking that pretty much every move the Texans made since 2011 or so has back fired. What's scary is that overall the philosophy was "conservative" in that it was largely about keep a core of players together and having players drafted by the organization to step up. In many cases, the team has tried to allocate resources (draft picks) to the area and have failed spectacularly. Just wonder which of these moves had the greatest :butterfly: effect.

steelbtexan
11-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Some of the things that have helped put the Texans where they are today,

1. Contract extentions that didn't have to be done at the time they were done and have bitten the org in the butt. Schaub/Foster/Cushing

2. Bad drafting, after the 1st rd the Rick has mostly struck out.

3. What eridoc said above about poor planning for the future. It's really kinda sad.

4. Conservative coaching on both sides of the ball.

5. Favoritism, how do Coach Joe/Fat Randy still have jobs.

6. Bad GM decisions, letting a young guy like Quin go and replacing him with a washed up Reed.

Bulls on Parade
11-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Pretty simple really. Arian Foster and Brian Cushing couldn't stay healthy. Had they been healthy, we would have won the last three games and been no worse than 5-4 right now.

And that game we blew against the Seahawks was poor coaching, bad decision by Schaub late in the game (OT loss). We should be 6-3 at worse right now. I'll take those other three losses against the Rams, 49ers and Ravens because we flat out lost those games (no excuses), although we had a lead late in the first half in that one before the wheels fell off.

Listen. Seven games left. Let's just finish them off. If we lose it's a better draft pick and if we win kudos to the team. I'm ready for the NFL Draft as well as the 2014 season to start. The Texans will be back as a top contender next year.

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 11:34 AM
It doesn't hurt to ask, all he can do is say no but he could say yes. You'll never know if you don't ask. So I am all in until DeCosta says no or McNair disappoints, regardless whether Cak says no or it won't happen.

Hey, man, I would love it if McNair cleaned house and started with DeCosta as GM. It would be a bold move and certainly taking a chance on someone with experience at a championship level franchise would easily be perceived as a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons. And I hate to say it, but I will not be surprised if Smith and/or Kubiak are brought back in 2014. McNair loves him some second...err...third...doh!...fourth chances, it seems.

I like your thinking, though, and the only reason I looked up DeCosta a couple of weeks ago was because you mentioned him.

Lord Bills
11-15-2013, 06:01 PM
another huge error by smith and co. is the fact that they never addressed the ILB depth through the draft and free agency (other than joe mays).

they knew cushing was coming off knee surgery and the other guy in there sharpton can never stay on the field yet they never addressed the ILB position. They instead drafted two outside LBs when they already had mercilus and brooks reed.

they also didnt invest in DT/defensive linemen depth. totally wasted draft picks on positions we did not need to address along with the horrendous ed reed signing.

infantrycak
11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
they also didnt invest in DT/defensive linemen depth. totally wasted draft picks on positions we did not need to address along with the horrendous ed reed signing.

They drafted DT Chris Jones - the mistake was letting him go.

What positions did they draft that we did not need?

Texian
11-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 48m

#Stanford coach David Shaw's record against the Pac-12's glamour programs #USC, #UCLA & #Oregon: 8-1.

djohn2oo8
11-17-2013, 02:10 PM
???

TexanSam
11-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Hopefully he's wondering if Lovie Smith would like to come back to Texas.

CretorFrigg
11-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow, we're actually close this game. Let's extend Kubiak 10 more years.

TheIronDuke
"Should I buy that ivory back scratcher?"

kingtexan
Keep:

Front Office

Bob McNair ... fire everyone else all the way down to the secretary and the janitor

Coaches

None

Offense

A. Johnson
Hopkins
Brown
Myers

Defense

Watt
Swearinger
Cushing

Special Teams

Lechler
Braman

Start over ...

brakos82
11-17-2013, 02:13 PM
"Well, it's better than Vista."

kingtexan
11-17-2013, 02:14 PM
IM A RICH MUFFHUGGA!

signed Uncle Bob

msbbc833
11-17-2013, 02:15 PM
I would also like to keep Kareem Jackson, Greg Jones, Posey, Brandon Brooks

texan279
11-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Hopefully wondering how long it will take Gary and co. to pack their !@#$.

Thorn
11-17-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.martinprint.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/nothing1.jpg

Hervoyel
11-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Realistically you can't just flush the entire organization in one year but in theory at least I agree that it is time to tear it down and start over. Having said that there will be people who keep their jobs simply because we can only replace so many of them in one year.

Our offense is finished. It's figured out. It's old and it's tired and it's been exposed. Our HC is tied to this system. It is him and he is it. Gary has to go and in going his staff has to go as well. Of the players we have on the roster right now we need to a) Find Gary's replacement and figure out what kind of system he intends to run, and then b) figure out how many of our existing players translate to what this new coach wants to do.

This bird is cooked.

Texecutioner
11-17-2013, 04:01 PM
How many people really thought the Texans were a legit SB contender going into this season? I knew they had a lot of talent, but with Kubiak leading the team, most of you had to know that this team would fail at some point epically.

Last season the team completely fell apart in the last 5 games or whatever. Everyone blamed it all on Schaub which was really unfair at the time. The RB's couldn't run the ball, the Oline looked really bad, and the secondary was getting toasted. This was all from a team that had almost gone undefeated for most of the year. Kubiak let the team fall apart completely last season and I have never seen a team look that good all season and totally plunge like that. People should have seen what a lack of leadership the Texans had to have a coach lose it all that easily where the team lost all of their dominance in every phase of the game practically.

This season really shouldn't have been that big of a surprise after seeing a team completely fall apart last season.

WolverineFan
11-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I conceded the division to the Colts after last year, but I thought we would still get a wild card spot.

The horrible coaching I'm not surprised by. It's the utter implosion of the team that does.

eriadoc
11-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I thought they would win the division and then I thought the Kubiak screw-up would come in the playoffs. But I did outline in one post around here a scenario in which I saw the Texans losing a bunch, and most of it has happened.

Mr. Texan
11-17-2013, 04:08 PM
i thought they would go 10-6 by beating on the trash teams and getting embarrassed by the elite teams again and fold in the playoffs.

maybe a little hope they could get to the afc championship if the defense would have improved.

i never expected a meltdown of THIS proportion.