PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak/Smith: Keep them or fire them?

Hottoddie
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
This board is so divided right now. So, let's have a show of hands. Place your vote for what you think McNair needs to do. I'm not adding Marciano, because his fate will be decided by whether or not Kubiak is still here.

DBCooper
11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Fire everyone associated with this team and start over.

Cowher Power!

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 03:37 PM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/alien-sigourneyweaver-nuke-riley-orbit-1348491814r.gif

Hottoddie
11-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm starting to feel a little lonely in here. :D

Lord Bills
11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
We need a GM who has his own sovereignty and power to make his own decisions.

We cant have a weak minded GM who lets coaches run roughshod over him during the draft and someone who can hit on a draft pick past the first couple rounds.

An institutional house cleaning is needed starting from GM to the entire head coaching staff.

Anything less is a band aid fix. Kinda like hiring a bad special teams coach to help our bad special teams coach.

Cure the cancer.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 03:40 PM

^ She's a witch! Burn her!

http://outfitnm.com/wp-content/uploads/witch.jpg

Marcus
11-12-2013, 03:43 PM

eh . . you'll get over it. ;)

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 03:44 PM

How could anyone possibly justify keeping BOTH of them? I could entertain keeping one but certainly not both.

Now if you're asking what will happen? I'd say both will stay.

Raf
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Get rid of both!

Kubiak for his loyalty, outdated system, unwillingness to adjust his gameplan and control freak nature.

Smith for his constant back-loading of contracts, lack of foresight and for being a Kubiak puppet.

This regime was a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.......won't ever get the job done (Super Bowl/sustained success)!

Lord Bills
11-12-2013, 04:34 PM
we need to get rid of both before they extend another player coming off major surgery.

its a disgusting fetish this front office has.

DX-TEX
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I want the ENTIRE coaching staff gone. Im not talking only fired....I want them drove to the Texas-Arkansas border and dropped off across the state line and told never to come back

Honoring Earl 34
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
^ She's a witch! Burn her!

http://outfitnm.com/wp-content/uploads/witch.jpg

Why didn't they cook the duck ?

OH and

FIRE

texanhead08
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Feed them both to the lions.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Feed them both to the lions.

I don't think even the Lions are dumb enough to hire these two. :kitten:

Norg
11-12-2013, 04:58 PM
A clean reset FIRE The entire front office and ANd Coaching staff ..is the only way 2 go

Well I take that back I would keep Wade if he wants to stay and give wade all the POWER TBO

Thorn
11-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Clean house and start over.

Hottoddie
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
eh . . you'll get over it. ;)

Ahhhhh, I'm starting to feel better already. Welcome to the dark side.

What these poor souls don't realize is that Kubiak is going to waive all of the people wanting him fired & give all his supporters seats on the front rowwwww & the cheerleader of their choice. :fans:

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 05:09 PM
THIS is easy, fire them both. I've been wanting Kubiak gone since he got here. Smith, only lately. But this situation really does call for a complete house cleaning.

How could anybody, ANYBODY want Kubes back?? He man has cost us multiple games year-in and year-out!

Wolf
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Light bulb went off for a second here.

What goes on at Texans practices?

What does Gary and Rick watch?

I got to thinking. If it weren't for injuries. Case never would have had a shot. He has done better than matt and yates combined. How is that not noticed? (Poor practice player?)

Foster wouldn't have sniffed the field a few years ago if it weren't for injuries. We see what happened so far.

How do players like that not move up depth chart? Does he just stink at evaluating or just too loyal to what he has?

False Start
11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! (http://youtu.be/XchwE9zVdnw?t=3s)

Fire them all!

infantrycak
11-12-2013, 05:19 PM

I got to thinking. If it weren't for injuries. Case never would have had a shot. He has done better than matt and yates combined. How is that not noticed? (Poor practice player?)

There have been reports from both pro and college level of not playing in practice the way he does in games.

Lord Bills
11-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Foster wouldn't have sniffed the field a few years ago if it weren't for injuries. We see what happened so far.

How do players like that not move up depth chart? Does he just stink at evaluating or just too loyal to what he has?

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Steve_Slaton-512x300.jpg

We have seen this before.

Scooter
11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
i'll be a lonely sunshiner. i have enough confidence in kubiak's talents to keep him, especially if we decide to go with keenum. smith i dont have strong feelings about in either direction.

markn
11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I voted 'fire Kubiak, keep Smith'. Here's the reasoning: they've both got to go, but there's no one at the club who has a clue who to hire (witness the Dan Reeves consultancy fiasco last time around), so Fire Kubiak and get Smith to hire his replacement. Give Smith one more draft / FA and if things don't drastically improve next season, fire him too.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 06:56 PM
i'll be a lonely sunshiner. i have enough confidence in kubiak's talents to keep him, especially if we decide to go with keenum. smith i dont have strong feelings about in either direction.

You do realize that his "talents" have gotten us a 2-7 record with a talented squad, don't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Scooter
11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
well aware of it. and hopefully this epic fail of a season will spark some changes within the organization. i dont believe that kubiak needs to be one of those changes.

BigBull
11-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I vote to fire them both, but I would be ok if Smith stayed.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
well aware of it. and hopefully this epic fail of a season will spark some changes within the organization. i dont believe that kubiak needs to be one of those changes.

Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

gafftop
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Fire both. I am not sure why some think Smith would be OK to keep. His HUGE mistakes erase any very small success he has had. Don't want to hear how he structured MS contract so that the hit would not be very bad if we needed to release. We should have never extended. Don't want to hear how Mcnair made the decision on Reed. A real GM would have over ruled. Really would like to hear what Smith has done to warrant even thinking about keeping. What player has he traded and got the best end of the deal?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I voted 'fire Kubiak, keep Smith'. Here's the reasoning: they've both got to go, but there's no one at the club who has a clue who to hire (witness the Dan Reeves consultancy fiasco last time around), so Fire Kubiak and get Smith to hire his replacement. Give Smith one more draft / FA and if things don't drastically improve next season, fire him too.

How would Smith know who to hire? Kubiak is the one who brought him on board.

infantrycak
11-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Don't want to hear how Mcnair made the decision on Reed. A real GM would have over ruled.

Not real familiar with chain of command? Owner trumps GM.

Ghostform
11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Hopefully both so i can do my best Mel Gibson impression

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/4213/8rh.gif

Naija Texan
11-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I was previously on board with keeping Smith and maybe Wade Phillips + defensive coaches (a la Steelers and their DC), but the way this ship is spinning out of control they all need to be gone and we will probably need to burn the grass after the season is done to get the funk out of Reliant and off the returning players.

DocBar
11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Why didn't they cook the duck ?

OH and

FIREcooked ducks weigh more? Great movie and great scene.

TexanBacker93
11-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I voted to keep Smith. Not because I think he deserves it, but I think he survives the culling.

If he gets fired as well, though, I want to see them bring in a GM and let him find a coach. I don't want my GM hired by the coach this time around.

Lucky
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
What I would like to see happen (entire new organization) is opposite of what I think will happen (everyones stays, gets an extension, and a puppy for Xmas).

DocBar
11-12-2013, 08:35 PM
After some soul searching, I chose both. I hate wholesale change, but Smith gets the flak for poor drafts (how can you hit on more UDFA's than 1st-3 rounders? By my count anyways), so Smith needs to go.

Kubiak is too damned loyal to players even to the detriment of the team. He may be a great OC, but a HC needs more objectivity and do what's best for the team not the player. If he'd accept a demotion, I'd consider keeping him.

Wade Phillips needs to go. I've seen more than enough of 10 yard cushions in man coverage. I've seen enough of his lost look on the sideline. Actually, he's about right on schedule for a change. 3 and out is pretty normal for Wade.

Marciano needed to go years ago. 'Nuf said.

I'm not sure what I hope for in the future, other than many Super Bowl wins. I can't get excited about hot college coaches nor do I want another hot NFL coordinator to get the job. IMO, Gruden is a joke, so I guess it's Cowher or nothing. Cowher has always reminded me of a child molester for some reason. Maybe it's my hatred of Pittsburgh, but I've heard others echo the same sentiment.

TEXANRED
11-12-2013, 08:38 PM

All they see are their ego's. If Kubiak and Smith were in Seattle there would be no Russell Wilson.

drs23
11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Ahhhhh, I'm starting to feel better already. Welcome to the dark side.

What these poor souls don't realize is that Kubiak is going to waive all of the people wanting him fired & give all his supporters seats on the front rowwwww & the cheerleader of their choice. :fans:

Do I get my choice or is it pot luck?

I don't care...I'M IN!

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Fire both. Rick cant properly balance a check book

kiwitexansfan
11-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I think Smith has done decent in the draft and FA.

How much influence he has vs Kubiak & Wade I don't know.

I think Kubiak has gone stale and needs to be replaced, my only if to that is if the QB change has freshened things, I'd keep him too.

DocBar
11-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I think Smith has done decent in the draft and FA.

How much influence he has vs Kubiak & Wade I don't know.

I think Kubiak has gone stale and needs to be replaced, my only if to that is if the QB change has freshened things, I'd keep him too.He should have the most influence. Kubiak and Phillips should have opinions and be able to be over ruled.

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
All they see are their ego's. If Kubiak and Smith were in Seattle there would be no Russell Wilson.

If they were in Seattle or any other NFL town not named "Houston" they would already be looking for a new job. Kubiak would be so far removed he'd already have been fired from his next job.

kiwitexansfan
11-12-2013, 11:03 PM
He should have the most influence. Kubiak and Phillips should have opinions and be able to be over ruled.

Should, but rumor says Kubiak bought in Smith and that suggests otherwise

VTexan
11-12-2013, 11:07 PM
burn baby, burn

MEGA SWATT
11-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Fire all the coaches, start over.

MistaRed
11-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Show both of them the door

houstonspartan
11-13-2013, 12:46 AM
If they were in Seattle or any other NFL town not named "Houston" they would already be looking for a new job. Kubiak would be so far removed he'd already have been fired from his next job.

Wow. Very, very, very, very true.

Damn, where's that REP button? LOL.

By now, we should be ingrained in the third or forth year with our third head coach, and be darn-near undefeated. Instead, we are in our 8TH year with our current coach, and STILL waiting for him to get it together.

As I have said, the Texans as an organization are clearly in an NFL bubble. For some odd reason, they think it takes 8 years to build a solid team, and that's just not true.

Even more embarrassing, we had a window in our division where a top shelf QB (Manning) and a good head coach (Fisher) left, and both teams rebuilt. Instead of taking advantage of that window and REALLY establishing ourselves as a dominant team, we settled. And now, we've blown that window within our division, and the Colts have over taken us - again.

Shaking my damn head...

Sigma
11-13-2013, 03:18 AM
I have the feeling the problem is more on the OC side, I think that could be enough.

Still, if we would have to go for a full clean-up I won't complain.

Just make sure to not pick someone as-bad-as-if-not-even-worse than kubiak/smith

Grams
11-13-2013, 05:46 AM
You need to include Wade in there also.

He is just as lost on the sidelines as all the other coaches.

OzzO
11-13-2013, 06:58 AM
So if the Texans clean house, does that mean Dan Reeves comes back to tell McNair what to do or do you trust Mr Bob to select the quality replacements?

Trail.Blazr
11-13-2013, 07:18 AM
went with both, since the poll was specifically to the two.

IMHO, i'd like to see a new GM, who then hires his own coaches. If that new GM wants to rehire them, I'd be shocked, but no way you replace a GM and have them be forced to carry existing coaching.

HJam72
11-13-2013, 07:27 AM
So if the Texans clean house, does that mean Dan Reeves comes back to tell McNair what to do or do you trust Mr Bob to select the quality replacements?

Considering Dan Reeves told them they could win with Carr, I say forget Dan Reeves. Considering he did that because it's what McNair wanted to hear, I don't know what ta tell ya.

gafftop
11-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Hopefully McNair has a list of GM's. Probably not though. If you are going to get rid of both bring in "interim" GM / consultant to evaluate situation. Hire GM and then get head coach. Typical Texan way is to do reverse. Decision one way or the other should be made now and action taken.

What if Kubiak comes out and says due to health concerns I will not be Head coach next year but would like to be OC. Feelings?

Rey
11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Hopefully McNair has a list of GM's. Probably not though. If you are going to get rid of both bring in "interim" GM / consultant to evaluate situation. Hire GM and then get head coach. Typical Texan way is to do reverse. Decision one way or the other should be made now and action taken.

What if Kubiak comes out and says due to health concerns I will not be Head coach next year but would like to be OC. Feelings?

How does one appoint themselves as the offensive co-ordinator?

phantom17
11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Just start over! 8 years of crap is enough!

Vinny
11-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm all for cleaning house. Texans need to be a Top-down administration. We don't need the Coach picking his GM going forward.

Mr teX
11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
at the beginning of this season, i would've said keep smith...but in analyzing everything as of late...I think smith needs to go too...we just need to clean house.

Say Watt
11-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Whatever these posters are smoking (Beer and Metal, Borowicz50, Brisco_County, Corrosion, escrimador, Hottoddie, IBleedTexans, Maddict5, Marcus, Playoffs , Scooter, Sigma) I want some of it. Puff puff pass.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't think we've drafted all that bad really. I think that there are a number of former Texans out there that other teams are just fine with. It's true that we don't really coach anyone up. That's strange considering how the old Capers regime was also guilty of that. Makes you wonder if it is something about the franchise itself but that seems unlikely.

Lots of teams don't draft as well as people think they do but they stay on top (looking at you Patriots) because they still find guys and get the most out of the ones that they do hit on.

Still I think Smith should go along with Kubiak. like Vinny said it's a very backwards dynamic to have your HC hand pick your GM. He might as well just be the GM if that's how it works. I think we'd be better off starting over. While I don't think Rick Smith has been as bad as many do I don't think he's any kind of special either. He's been competent.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 12:39 PM
How does one appoint themselves as the offensive co-ordinator?

Ummm, this is the Houston Texans and things like that are strangely possible in this place?

That's all I got.

Nawzer
11-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Hit the reboot button with this franchise. Smith and Kubiak need to go.

GuerillaBlack
11-13-2013, 12:47 PM
At the very least, Kubiak needs to be fired. I would prefer both.

Dutchrudder
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Goatcheese:

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/alone-in-the-island.jpg

The Pencil Neck
11-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Here's the way I see it and this is not going to be popular. But it's where I'm at.

Regarding Smith:
1. He has drafted well and he's found some absolute gems off the street. He finds players, gives the coaches options, and allows them a voice in the draft process. This has led to Duane Brown, Brian Cushing, J. J. Watt, and Ben Tate as well as Arian Foster and Case Keenum.
2. Regardless of what some people on this board believe, I don't think he's screwed up wrt contracts and the cap. I think he's done a pretty good job. We are not and have not been in Cap Hell.
3. I think his biggest problem in FA is listening to people he SHOULD have been able to trust: Sherman on Ahman Green and Andre on Ed Reed.

I don't see any reason to ditch him. We've got a talented team.

Regarding Kubiak:
1. His offense works. As long as the QB running it doesn't start smoking crack. Many coordinators that become head coaches fail on the side of the ball that they were coordinators for. Unlike guys like Billick (who was never able to recreate his Minnesota offense in Baltimore), Kubiak has been able to put together an offense that's pretty freaking potent.
2. We have not had 7 years of horrid football. The past two seasons bordered on awesome. We won our division, went to the playoffs, and we won playoff games. I remember when I just wanted a team that was relevant in November.
3. I don't hold Arian Foster and Case Keenum and their late starts against him. From everything I've heard, Case doesn't look that great in practice and Kubiak believes in guys performing in practice as well as in the games. And Arian Foster has himself said that he wasn't really prepared to play until late in his rookie season.

Like the 2010 meltdown, I expect Kubiak to be gone after this. I realize that I'm much, much more patient than the average fan. I'm like that in most things (except driving in LA traffic). It has always seemed to me that most teams and owners pull the plug on coaches too soon. I think McNair is like me in that regard BUT... I'm not sure how he's going to take this season when the expectations were so high.

Hottoddie
11-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Here's the way I see it and this is not going to be popular. But it's where I'm at.

Regarding Smith:
1. He has drafted well and he's found some absolute gems off the street. He finds players, gives the coaches options, and allows them a voice in the draft process. This has led to Duane Brown, Brian Cushing, J. J. Watt, and Ben Tate as well as Arian Foster and Case Keenum.
2. Regardless of what some people on this board believe, I don't think he's screwed up wrt contracts and the cap. I think he's done a pretty good job. We are not and have not been in Cap Hell.
3. I think his biggest problem in FA is listening to people he SHOULD have been able to trust: Sherman on Ahman Green and Andre on Ed Reed.

Regarding Kubiak:
1. His offense works. As long as the QB running it doesn't start smoking crack. Many coordinators that become head coaches fail on the side of the ball that they were coordinators for. Unlike guys like Billick (who was never able to recreate his Minnesota offense in Baltimore), Kubiak has been able to put together an offense that's pretty freaking potent.
2. We have not had 7 years of horrid football. The past two seasons bordered on awesome. We won our division, went to the playoffs, and we won playoff games. I remember when I just wanted a team that was relevant in November.
3. I don't hold Arian Foster and Case Keenum and their late starts against him. From everything I've heard, Case doesn't look that great in practice and Kubiak believes in guys performing in practice as well as in the games. And Arian Foster has himself said that he wasn't really prepared to play until late in his rookie season.

Like the 2010 meltdown, I expect Kubiak to be gone after this. I realize that I'm much, much more patient than the average fan. I'm like that in most things (except driving in LA traffic). It has always seemed to me that most teams and owners pull the plug on coaches too soon. I think McNair is like me in that regard BUT... I'm not sure how he's going to take this season when the expectations were so high.

I completely agree. It's nice to read a post from someone that can see beyond the emotion. :handshake:

Sigma
11-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Regarding Smith:

Regarding Kubiak:

this is more or less what I always felt, but I thought it was just me.

If I'm not mistaken the 2009 draft pool is known to be the worst in recent years, and we got a lot of nice players that year...

And I like the idea of having a football team that doesn't require a "prima donna" type of QB.

TejasTom
11-14-2013, 07:58 AM
... If it weren't for injuries. Case never would have had a shot. He has done better than matt and yates combined. How is that not noticed? (Poor practice player?)

I only go to one practice a year, Case looked the best of the 3 at that practice. Yates didn't throw one catchable ball at that practice. I thought Case looked the best of the three in preseason games.

Several years ago in an interview, Jason Babin said he asked Kubiak what he had to do to start. Kubiak told Babin, there is nothing you can do, I have my guy.

amazing80
11-14-2013, 08:01 AM
some seem to forget that we have struggled in red zone offense, 3rd downs, in game adjustments, stuck on stubbornness and unwilling to move on from bad players. lots of players dont improve here especially on defense. and we still cant beat indy....thats all on gary kubiak and the crap coaching staff he assembled time to move on from them all.

rick smith gets one more try imo.....some also forget how bad our cap was until he arrived and sure he over paid some vets, but no one wanted to play here because we sucked.....our team is loaded with talent, the coaches fail to improve their skill level

BullBlitz
11-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Kubiak - keep.
Smith - adios.

deucetx
11-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Regarding Smith:

This is my reasoning for keeping Smith. As others who even voted to remove both Kubiak and Smith said themselves, the team is talented. That is what you have to expect for your GM. It's up to the coaches and players to take it from there. He does have some misses but every GM will have hits and misses so can't expect a perfect score. The question becomes has he done enough for the team to win and it's hard to say he didn't otherwise we wouldn't be disappointed in the product we have on the field. We expected more because we see the potential of the roster.

Plus any new GM most likely will be someone who has never had the position or experience so no guarantee it would be anything new or better in that situation. At least with a new coach you can get someone with experience that is worthwhile. How many worthwhile GM's are sitting there waiting for phone calls?

I disagree on the Kubiak reasoning because of what has been already stated. This is a talented roster. It is up to the coaches do get production from it. The fact we seem to disappear against elite teams too often and go stretches of quarters of not even being able to put the ball in the endzone is very telling in my opinon. To add the lack of discipline we have displayed this year on the field, slow starts and poor adjustments and it just seems this coaching staff has hit that 'stale period' that many say take place in locker rooms. Have to add the stubborness with the loyalty factor like he seems to have with Marciano.

Though in the end I expect both to remain in any case, heh.

Vinny
11-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Smith has destroyed this team that had tons of potential a few years back with bad contracts and re-upping mediocre players like Schaub and Walter while getting rid of the entire right side of the line at one time. Our greatest draft ever and we don't have our first pick or DeMeco (who is playing well in a 3-4 thankyouverymuch). Signing Foster before he needed to be signed is another problem. We could have tagged him next season. We've locked up players before they needed to be locked up and released guys who were a big part of our "potential". This team has been mismanaged from top to bottom. Rick Smith is no capologist.

gafftop
11-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Why cut any slack concerning getting rid of Smith. Either he has put this team in this position or he is nothing but a YES man or a puppet. Either way he needs to go.

Norg
11-17-2013, 10:10 PM
over these past 5 years I forget who weilds the power KUBES or SMITH ..????

Did kubes get hired first then rick or vise versa I forget

if uhhh we don't win these next 6 games I think the decision for Bob will be pretty easy

I think we gotta sweep the jags and titans and split with the colts and go 1-1 with either Denver or Pats if kubes has any chance I think rick is has good has gone

Hervoyel
11-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Today if I was McNair Kubiak would have been fired before he got to the locker room. He likely would have left Reliant Stadium shirtless too, I wouldn't have let him walk out the door with a Texans logo on his shirt.

bhsman
11-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Smith has destroyed this team that had tons of potential a few years back with bad contracts and re-upping mediocre players like Schaub and Walter while getting rid of the entire right side of the line at one time. Our greatest draft ever and we don't have our first pick or DeMeco (who is playing well in a 3-4 thankyouverymuch). Signing Foster before he needed to be signed is another problem. We could have tagged him next season. We've locked up players before they needed to be locked up and released guys who were a big part of our "potential". This team has been mismanaged from top to bottom. Rick Smith is no capologist.

So the point of all this hyperbole is that you think Smith should be held responsible for things that were entirely or near-entirely un-foreseeable.

DocBar
11-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Smith has destroyed this team that had tons of potential a few years back with bad contracts and re-upping mediocre players like Schaub and Walter while getting rid of the entire right side of the line at one time. Our greatest draft ever and we don't have our first pick or DeMeco (who is playing well in a 3-4 thankyouverymuch). Signing Foster before he needed to be signed is another problem. We could have tagged him next season. We've locked up players before they needed to be locked up and released guys who were a big part of our "potential". This team has been mismanaged from top to bottom. Rick Smith is no capologist.Where did Smith get the idea to do these bad contracts? If not for Kubiak, there's no way to tell where Smith might have gone.

powda
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
So the point of all this hyperbole is that you think Smith should be held responsible for things that were entirely or near-entirely un-foreseeable.

Schaub and cushing were all coming off injury. Is it "un-forseeable" to expect 1 or both of them not to perform up to pre injury status? We were so focused on creating a rep and good will among the players that we sacraficed the product on the field. FAIL RICK FAIL.

Honoring Earl 34
11-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Where did Smith get the idea to do these bad contracts? If not for Kubiak, there's no way to tell where Smith might have gone.

One's the head the others the tail but it's still the same dog .

bhsman
11-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Schaub and cushing were all coming off injury. Is it "un-forseeable" to expect 1 or both of them not to perform up to pre injury status? We were so focused on creating a rep and good will among the players that we sacraficed the product on the field. FAIL RICK FAIL.

Cushing was playing very well before the new freak injury, so I'm not sure what you're going for there. For Schaub, people seem to think we signed him to a Flacco-esque deal.

mussop
11-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I want new everything from gm to towel boys. This firing should of happened years ago.

thunderkyss
11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
I think Bob's a nice guy. I think he's close to Gary & Wade and can't see firing them after what they've been through this season. I wish he was the cold blooded person I pretend to be on the internet, because I'd really like to hear that Kubiak has been let go tonight.

But that ain't going to happen.

I voted for other. I think Bob will hire a guy to put between himself & his employees, Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak.

The only problem with that, is we'll just be looking for a new head coach next year, or the year after. So with that in mind, in light of Kubiak's stroke, & in appreciation of everything Gary has done right for pro football in Houston, I hope he promotes Kubiak to VP of football operations, or something, tomorrow & name Dennison interim head coach.

In my dream world, Gary won't pick his replacement. The group will... Cal, Rick, McNair, & Gary... but we'll have a new HC next year.

& he can fire his VP of football operations mid-season 2014... he's paying him through 2014 anyway.

thunderkyss
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM

We gave ourselves an out with Schaub's contract. It was at a bargain compared to Romo, Ryan, & Flacco's... we were picking 20 last draft, wouldn't have got our QB of the future anyway.

powda
11-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Cushing was playing very well before the new freak injury, so I'm not sure what you're going for there. For Schaub, people seem to think we signed him to a Flacco-esque deal.

Unnecessary money on unknown commodities. Invest in talent...not guesswork. Dont act like schaubs contract isn't going to hurt this team. I don't want mcnair to be cheap but schrewd is a compliment for a buisnessman. Screw nice...do whats necessary to secure some lombardis. This **** is getting old.

bhsman
11-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Unnecessary money on unknown commodities. Invest in talent...not guesswork. Dont act like schaubs contract isn't going to hurt this team. I don't want mcnair to be cheap but schrewd is a compliment for a buisnessman. Screw nice...do whats necessary to secure some lombardis. This **** is getting old.

The fact that we're able to cut him as of June 1st without much harm to the team only a year and a half removed from the extension is proof that it wasn't made to hurt the team long-term. Nobody could have foreseen Schaub's arm failing him like it did; if anything, through the first ten games of the season (especially vs. Denver) he looked like he had been underpaid.

DocBar
11-17-2013, 11:22 PM
I think Bob's a nice guy. I think he's close to Gary & Wade and can't see firing them after what they've been through this season. I wish he was the cold blooded person I pretend to be on the internet, because I'd really like to hear that Kubiak has been let go tonight.

But that ain't going to happen.

I voted for other. I think Bob will hire a guy to put between himself & his employees, Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak.

The only problem with that, is we'll just be looking for a new head coach next year, or the year after. So with that in mind, in light of Kubiak's stroke, & in appreciation of everything Gary has done right for pro football in Houston, I hope he promotes Kubiak to VP of football operations, or something, tomorrow & name Dennison interim head coach.

In my dream world, Gary won't pick his replacement. The group will... Cal, Rick, McNair, & Gary... but we'll have a new HC next year.

& he can fire his VP of football operations mid-season 2014... he's paying him through 2014 anyway.
You're weird, TK.

powda
11-17-2013, 11:28 PM
The fact that we're able to cut him as of June 1st without much harm to the team only a year and a half removed from the extension is proof that it wasn't made to hurt the team long-term. Nobody could have foreseen Schaub's arm failing him like it did; if anything, through the first ten games of the season (especially vs. Denver) he looked like he had been underpaid.

Lots of people realized a year or 2 ago that this team was winning inspite of schaub...not because of him. The denver victory might be the hallmark of his career. What about the other 15 games last year?

Norg
11-17-2013, 11:38 PM
im with u powda its not only just Schaub and Cushing and reed that's the most recent going back from Day 1 in 05 smith has made a lot of errors not only in draft picks but pretty much everything and im talking about the draft picks round 2-7

even the recent thing with getting rid of draft players over smoking a cigar come on MAN !!!!!!!

DX-TEX
11-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Anyone realize that right now we have the #3 overall pick in the draft?

Norg
11-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Anyone realize that right now we have the #3 overall pick in the draft?

lose to the jags and we might have the #1 Pick :kubepalm:

Teddy Bridgewater ...........???????????/ LOL

bhsman
11-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Lots of people realized a year or 2 ago that this team was winning inspite of schaub...not because of him. The denver victory might be the hallmark of his career. What about the other 15 games last year?

Two years ago Schaub was en route to a career year before Fat Albert Haynesworth fell on his foot, and he's never been the same quite since. And before that Schaub was one of the pillars keeping this team up despite the terrible, terrible defense weighing it down.

Hottoddie
11-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Prior to today's game, I was in Gary's corner all the way & willing to defend him to the end. But, when he took Case out & put Schaub back in I lost it. If Gary is our coach next year I'll be shocked. There is no way McNair can justify keeping him on after this year. I thought AJ walking off the field before the game was over was louder than any words he could've spoken.