View Full Version : Ed Reed released

Pages : [1] 2

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 12:40 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/400315399859740672

Where is the accountability?

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 12:43 PM
whoah! Kalu was talking about this option this morning. I did not think it would happen so quick, but I guess none of us really knows what's going on with this FO.

No more overpriced has-beens....please

JCTexan
11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
With his comments after the game it's not that shocking. I wonder if Andre's pissed though?

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Holy crap!

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Randy Bullock can miss all the FGs he wants, but don't you dare speak out against the coaches.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 12:47 PM
whoah! Kalu was talking about this option this morning. I did not think it would happen so quick, but I guess none of us really knows what's going on with this FO.

most cynical, superficial off-season singing ever....well, at least since Ahman Green.

htownfan32
Rick Smith gets a lot of hate on this board, but the good thing about him is that he's got no qualms about swinging the axe.

Mr. White

All I know is that they finally started using common sense when they benched Schaub and again with Coach Reed's release.

Let's hope the trend continues.

IDEXAN
11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
With his comments after the game it's not that shocking. I wonder if Andre's pissed though?
In this case, Andre gave the team some really bad advice about Reed when he
all but pleaded with them to sign his U buddy. TReed is washed up, over the hill,
stix a fork in him. Of course Reed is still grinning all the way to the bank.

Hervoyel
11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
most cynical, superficial off-season singing ever....well, at least since Ahman Green.

I never heard the man sing but I imagine it must have been pretty damn bad.

:kitten:

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 12:50 PM

:kitten:

He can't hit a note to save his life...

Ed Reed Sings Two Tickets To Paradise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4Gk1cUzqw) :nolisten:

Vance87
11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Randy Bullock can miss all the FGs he wants, but don't you dare speak out against the coaches.

This basically. Just tow the company line and you'll be fine, but don't speak out and make logical points against the staff or chop-chop.

I guess they just didn't like that he said it in public.

And because he's been terrible

Vinny
11-12-2013, 12:51 PM

:kitten: My posts are as bad as the Team right now. yowsa.

ChampionTexan
11-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Randy Bullock has arguably played better than Ed Reed did.

HOU-TEX
11-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know the cap implications off the top of their head?

AnthonyE
11-12-2013, 12:53 PM

I think I may remember reading something like 2.7 mil in dead money but I'm not sure.

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Randy Bullock has arguably played better than Ed Reed did.

Randy Bullock has cost us more games than Ed Reed.

bash
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
How much did we lose total? No wonder ed reed sang two tickets to paradise.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
How much did we lose total? No wonder ed reed sang two tickets to paradise.
dead money is 3.3 million I think? Any cap guru's got the number?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/03/ed-reed-to-be-introduced-as-newest-texan/

Bearkat Texan
11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
To me this seems petty...you can miss a ton of FG's and you can keep your job...

So fall in line you get to stay but act out your gone :kubepalm:

Hervoyel
11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Not LITERALLY but still, how I feel about Ed Reed being shown the door

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/XU7gnMSzf_c/hqdefault.jpg

"I'm glad you're dead!"

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for everything Ed, we'll always remember getting to say we had a Hall of Fame safety playing for us! We all love you.

ChampionTexan

He also won us more.

OzzO

Media: Randy, what are your thoughts on a game called Doggie Doo. Would you want to play it? Perhaps with a coach?

Randy: That is the worse game ever, I'd never want to be a part of it, even if the coach wanted me to.

BREAKING NEWS: Randy Bullock has been heard as saying he wouldn't be part of the game, even if coaches wanted him to. Stay tuned for more news as it happens......

(and yeah, there is actually a game called that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyOD1C67J0)

Exascor

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/03/ed-reed-to-be-introduced-as-newest-texan/

I'm showing 2.7 million dead money in 2014. His cap number this year is 3.3. I'm no guru though...

Bearkat Texan
11-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah just two... they both should be cut today.

Trap_Star
11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
****...now we're screwed for the patriots game.

False Start
11-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Wow! Ed Boselli is a goner. What a freaking train wreck this turned out to be, I guess the Texans derailed off the right track. :kubepalm:

leebigeztx
11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Typical texans. They brought reed to keep the long balls down,but the cbs and wade continual use of useless blitzes don't help. Reed is a true cf not a box guy or even coverage guy. Still don't understand why a fg as bad as bullock keeeps his job tho.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for everything Ed, we'll always remember getting to say we had a Hall of Fame safety playing for us! We all love you.

yeah, good times, good times.

I will always remember that moment in time that Ed Reed....ummm....errrr....wore a Texans uniform. Man, that was a special moment.

False Start
11-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Now, they need to follow this up with Bullock, and Newton.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Let's spread the rumor that Bullock is saying we were outcoached and that he's being bullied by McNair's Son.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Now, they need to follow this up with Bullock, and Newton.

...and Schaub, and Marciano, and Kubiak, and Smith...

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 01:06 PM

I will always remember that moment in time that Ed Reed....ummm....errrr....wore a Texans uniform. Man, that was a special moment.

That one time where he was about to almost make a tackle was a true thing of beauty and is up there on my top 10 Texans moments.

CretorFrigg
Wow. I didn't expect to see Reed next year, but this was sudden.

HTown2ATX
Wow! Ed Boselli is a goner. What a freaking train wreck this turned out to be, I guess the Texans derailed off the right track. :kubepalm:

repped

chicagotexan2
11-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Well dead weight this season has turned into dead money against the cap next season.

This is one player who will not become a Pro Bowl KR for another team. At least there's that.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:07 PM
That one time where he was about to almost make a tackle was a true thing of beauty and is up there on my top 10 Texans moments.

Nobody almost makes a tackle as great as Ed Reed. Thing of beauty, that almost tackle.

Honoring Earl 34
11-12-2013, 01:08 PM

It was a better move than them signing Dick " Night Train " Lane . :roast:

ArlingtonTexan
To me this seems petty...you can miss a ton of FG's and you can keep your job...

Yeah it wasnt like he started off misleading the texans about his health or anything

Porky
Not shocked he was released, but I am a bit surprised about the timing. Given his comments, I'm sure that will shut down public comments from the other players.

I don't know what to think. In some cases, you can stink it up big time, and that extends to the coaches, and you get chance after chance. In other cases, you're given the ax after telling the truth. I fail to see the consistency from upper management.

Corrosion
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/400315399859740672

Where is the accountability?

Bleh , I posted this yesterday:

Can we just cut Ed Reed today , and have his dead $$ on this years cap instead of next .... somehow ?!

Hard for me to believe they actually did it .... :bravo:

michaelm
11-12-2013, 01:09 PM

I saw a video highlight of Reed being hurdled by a player and a graphic was displayed showing stats of player's "propensity to be hurdled"... I believe Reed was #1 on the list.

2slik4u
11-12-2013, 01:09 PM

I want Bullock gone just as much as the next guy but when you throw your coaches under the bus, there is no room for that in the Texans organization. I like the move. If he was playing pro-bowl football it may have changed it a bit but when you have lost your starting job because you are no longer good at what you do then you shouldn't be calling anyone out.

Corrosion
11-12-2013, 01:10 PM

The rest of this years salary and another $1.333m that would have gone on next years but should now be on this years cap.

EDIT:

Sounds about right but rather than having $1.333m on next years tab , its effective today.

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
This reeks of either Smith trying to save his job or Kubiak. Its gonna get nasty.

Thorn
meh.....not like he contributed much.

Surreal McCoy

ND Kalu, secret Texans GM! Now the cat's out of the bag...

Vinny
11-12-2013, 01:12 PM
According to @PFF, Ed Reed missed 22.2% of his tackles, so of his $6M contract, about $1.3M was for missing tackles.

Ed Reed made $375,000 per tackle and $22,000 per snap while playing for the Houston Texans.

Grams
11-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I want Bullock gone just as much as the next guy but when you throw your coaches under the bus, there is no room for that in the Texans organization. I like the move. If he was playing pro-bowl football it may have changed it a bit but when you have lost your starting job because you are no longer good at what you do then you shouldn't be calling anyone out.

Even if he was correct?

We have been saying for years this team is outcoached - almost every game.

Bearkat Texan
11-12-2013, 01:13 PM

yea I get all that it is just frustrating that they aren't holding these other guys accountable for the lack of production.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I saw a video highlight of Reed being hurdled by a player and a graphic was displayed showing stats of player's "propensity to be hurdled"... I believe Reed was #1 on the list.

You know that was a very special moment for that player. He can tell his grandkids one day that he hurdled a Hall of Famer. Obvious highlight of his pro football career. I know it was special for me as a fan.

ND Kalu, secret Texans GM! Now the cat's out of the bag...

He sure acts like it on the radio!

But, then again, so do a lot folks on the internets... :bender:

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-12-2013, 01:14 PM
So whats the cap number/ savings

Playoffs
11-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Alright, now I'm pissed. I don't care that the guy was at the bottom of the league in safety play. You had a leader with championship experience put into words the very issues that have become obvious to attentive fans, and instead of sitting him down and maybe learning something from him you trashcan him. The money was already paid... why not utilize the only tool he had left -- his brain.

This tells me Wade is intransigent in his play calling and lack of adjustments. And it sends the message to vets to keep their mouths shut or get cut. That contributes to a leadership void.

Surreal McCoy
I honestly can't believe they cut Reed instead of Bollock. I mean, did they even try Ed at kicker? Probably not knowing this joke of a franchise! :pissed:

Vinny
BREAKING: Source tells me Eagles trying to decide whether Ed Reed or late Lou Reed would be better addition to secondary

chicagotexan2

it's not even close. Bullock is an absolute liability, he is as bad as Derek Newton at his position. Reed sucks badly but Bullock and Newton are beyond sucking.

PapaL
11-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Let's spread the rumor that Bullock is saying we were outcoached and that he's being bullied by McNair's Son.

I heard Kubiak told Ed to say we were out coached !

Texn4life
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
We've basically become a joke this year. Reed wasn't very good on the field, but IMO there have been worse performers. Time to clean house after this year.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
BREAKING: Source tells me Eagles trying to decide whether Ed Reed or late Lou Reed would be better addition to secondary

Ed cannot walk on the wild side like Lou could. The Eagles are missing wild side, so Ed is just not a good fit.

Porky
11-12-2013, 01:18 PM

I'd go Lou. He has a faster 40 time. :)

False Start
11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
I got a kick out of this tweet from Matt Thomas.

Matt Thomas ‏@SportsMT 13m
Ed Reed arrived in Houston on McNair jet..now leaving town on Megabus.

Texn4life
11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
It looks like the light has finally turned on for DJ though. That's the one thing I can feel good about. That dude was all over the place. Hope he soaked in as much knowledge as possible while he could.

eriadoc
11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Typical texans. They brought reed to keep the long balls down,but the cbs and wade continual use of useless blitzes don't help.

I have pointed out before times when the Texans dropped 7 into coverage and still got burned. It didn't matter. They blitz, thye get beat on the back end. They don't blitz, they get beat on the back end. The back end might be the only thing worse than the Texans pass rush.

[/B]
Even if he was correct?

As I said in the thread reporting Reed's comments, the Texans have been out-coached and out-played every time they have decided to put Ed Reed on the field. That just extends their poor decision making from the time they hired him.

This reeks of either Smith trying to save his job or Kubiak. Its gonna get nasty.

Yep. This team is imploding. Going to be a 2-14 type season.

Maybe I'll go dig up the "Ed Reed signed" thread and serve up some crow to everyone who argued that Reed was a great signing.

False Start
11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I really hope he doesn't sign with some other team, and all the sudden regain his skills. If so, that will pi$$ me off. That would tell me he just wasn't all that into the Texans, and quit once he saw how the season was gonna go.

2012Champs
11-12-2013, 01:23 PM
If you suck at your job, cost the company a lot of money and bad mouth your boss it's not hard to imagine losing your job

Rey
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
What a cluster.

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Does Ed get to take his letterman jacket with him? Either way, guess old Ed isn't Texan worthy.

Rey
11-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Maybe kubiak had an epiphany during his time off. Experienced like that can change people.

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Uncle Bob sure has been quiet lately.

Rey
11-12-2013, 01:27 PM
We flew the owners private jet out to wine and fine this man. Someone swallowed their pride big time.

This was a huge release. It means something is going to change.

htownfan32
11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
DJ Swearinger will be a great safety for us, maybe even pro-bowl material. He's one of the most promising players on our defensive squad.

PapaL
11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
The dude was moving around like a lego character out there. Hopefully this sets precedence and more cuts are coming.

Blake
11-12-2013, 01:29 PM
We let Quinn and Barwin walk, and were unable to address the RT position because of this dude? What a cap mismanagement nightmare...

Rick and co thinking they are so damn smart. I bet this stung having to release him.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Memo sent today:

Let that be a lesson to the rest of you that speaking your mind is not acceptable in this club. We want you to tell the media how well your coaches prepare you, and how you would run through a brick wall for them. Your coaches work hard to prepare you every week to consistently be close to winning, and they deserve your adoration and respect. Next time someone asks you about this team in the postgame, say you love "Coach Kubes" cause the media loves nicknames.

If we lose, be sure to blame abstract things like "they played a better game" or "not wanting it enough." We can't have dissent in the lockerroom, or it might lead to even more losses. Clearly Mr. Reed was not a team player, as evidenced by his comments the other day. He was a cancer, and is the reason we lost all these games. His undermining nature and pride have taken this team from Super Bowl contender to basement dweller. Now that we have that bit taken care of, you can bet this team will be in the playoffs next year. Soldier on good men, for next year Kubiak, Wade and Marciano will lead us to the promised land!

htowntexans1985
11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I bet he signs with a contender. And is playing in New Jersey come February.

Wolf6151
11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I thought they'd cut him at the end of the season, didn't see this move coming.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Does Ed get to take his letterman jacket with him? Either way, guess old Ed isn't Texan worthy.

What is really sad and depressing is that Newton and Bullock are "Texans worthy"... :(

dalemurphy
11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
A couple things beyond the frustration of a gamble that really, really did not payoff this off-season:

1. They are getting him off the books now- instead of taking the hit next season, which is great.

2. This should also have a positive impact on the compensatory draft pick formula... Performance impacts the equation somehow. And, I'm sure being cut and only starting a couple games will lessen his value when the picks are rewarded to the Texans for the signings of: Barwin, Casey, Quin, Ball, Forsett, .

It's the best move the Texans could have made at this point... I'm glad they are willing to admit a mistake this quickly, at least- instead of keeping him around and attempting to justify it or hide it.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 01:35 PM
A couple things beyond the frustration of a gamble that really, really did not payoff this off-season:

1. They are getting him off the books now- instead of taking the hit next season, which is great.

2. This should also have a positive impact on the compensatory draft pick formula... Performance impacts the equation somehow. And, I'm sure being cut and only starting a couple games will lessen his value when the picks are rewarded to the Texans for the signings of: Barwin, Casey, Quin, Ball, Forsett, .

It's the best move the Texans could have made at this point... I'm glad they are willing to admit a mistake this quickly, at least- instead of keeping him around and attempting to justify it or hide it. LOL at number 1
On number 2 - I don't think you get compensation if you cut someone

On your last point. Keo beat him out. That was embarrassing enough. I don't see any good spin here...but I gotta hand it to you and those sunshine pumpers.

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Happens all the time. Not sure why you are surprised. I'm not happy with Fat Randy either, but if Bullock's performance was on par with Reed's he would be missing 30-yard FG's because the kick was short.

I agree. I think both could be singing "Two Tickets To Paradise" after this season.

Alright, now I'm pissed. I don't care that the guy was at the bottom of the league in safety play. You had a leader with championship experience put into words the very issues that have become obvious to attentive fans, and instead of sitting him down and maybe learning something from him you trashcan him. The money was already paid... why not utilize the only tool he had left -- his brain.

This tells me Wade is intransigent in his play calling and lack of adjustments. And it sends the message to vets to keep their mouths shut or get cut. That contributes to a leadership void.

IMO Reed didn't mean a thing to this team. He simply brought nothing to the table. The hired gun forgot to bring his bullets and everybody knew it.

Surreal McCoy
11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I bet he signs with a contender. And is playing in New Jersey come February.

In which case they'll no longer be a contender.

ChampionTexan
11-12-2013, 01:37 PM
The rest of this years salary and another $1.333m that would have gone on next years but should now be on this years cap.

The $1.333M (along with another $1.333M) will all hit next years cap. Any unamortized bonus for a player cut (or traded for that matter) after June 1 of the league year gets fully recognized in the following league year.

2slik4u
11-12-2013, 01:38 PM
[/B]

Even if he was correct?

Even if he was correct.

Kubiak has been outcoached but if one of the players said something to the degree of "Matt Schaub sucks" or If Arian Foster said the line isn't doing it's job, would you consider that being ok?

Just because everyone knows it doesn't mean it needs to be said by their colleagues.

Keep the appearance of unity on the outside.

gwallaia
11-12-2013, 01:38 PM

I heard Derek Newton complaining about the coaching as well.

Nawzer
11-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Should have kept Glover Quin.

Corrosion
11-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Memo sent today:

Let that be a lesson to the rest of you that speaking your mind is not acceptable in this club. We want you to tell the media how well your coaches prepare you, and how you would run through a brick wall for them. Your coaches work hard to prepare you every week to consistently be close to winning, and they deserve your adoration and respect. Next time someone asks you about this team in the postgame, say you love "Coach Kubes" cause the media loves nicknames.

If we lose, be sure to blame abstract things like "they played a better game" or "not wanting it enough." We can't have dissent in the lockerroom, or it might lead to even more losses. Clearly Mr. Reed was not a team player, as evidenced by his comments the other day. He was a cancer, and is the reason we lost all these games. His undermining nature and pride have taken this team from Super Bowl contender to basement dweller. Now that we have that bit taken care of, you can bet this team will be in the playoffs next year. Soldier on good men, for next year Kubiak, Wade and Marciano will lead us to the promised land!

Players shouldn't come out and blast the coaches or other players - especially when their coach already deflects the vast majority of the blame on himself to begin with. Its on me Matt threw a pick 6 4 weeks in a row , Its on me Ed Reed cant tackle. Its on me Hopkins fumbled in the red zone.

Blaming others doesn't solve anything. Throwing it out there for the media to kick around doesn't do anyone any favors either.

You keep your troubles in house .... got a problem take it to the coach , not the media.

Rey
11-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Whatever. This team is ****ed anyways.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 01:42 PM

It's the best move the Texans could have made at this point... I'm glad they are willing to admit a mistake this quickly, at least- instead of keeping him around and attempting to justify it or hide it.

1. It doesn't make a difference in the longrun.

2. It might reduce his valuation, but it's really an unknown. Snap counts seem to have an effect on it, so I guess this will reduce that. It's not like he was gonna get all-pro or probowl honors this year anyways. His contract is still big, and will likely cancel out either Quin or Barwin's.

This was a retaliation move, no question. You can't talk bad about the coaches, no matter how obviously inept they are. It's the same as talking crap about your boss in the real world. If they have power over you, don't be surprised to see them exert it when you piss them off. This was absolutely not an accountability or performance move.

I just want to reiterate that THIS WAS NOT AN ACCOUNTABILITY MOVE!

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Even more egregious was Newton saying that he though battle red was fugly.

We need to take the message to where it counts! Twitter, of course.

Brisco_County
Practical decision. They had paid a premium for damaged goods whose only prospect was souring the locker room.

No upside, demonstrable liability.

Vinny
Players shouldn't come out and blast the coaches or other players - especially when their coach already deflects the vast majority of the blame on himself to begin with. Its on me Matt threw a pick 6 4 weeks in a row , Its on me Ed Reed cant tackle. Its on me Hopkins fumbled in the red zone.

Blaming others doesn't solve anything. Throwing it out there for the media to kick around doesn't do anyone any favors either.

You keep your troubles in house .... got a problem take it to the coach , not the media.

Ed Reed was terminated because he wouldn't take the steel blue pill of bliss. There is no spoon.

http://www.theduchessguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/redpill_bluepill.jpg

WolverineFan
11-12-2013, 01:44 PM
To me, this still brings up the issue of accountability by the FO and coaching staff.

Bullock plays poorly and we pretend to have a FA kicking try-out, but it was all basically a scare tactic.

Newton is god awful and still plays ahead of Ryan Harris.

Ed Reed played poorly and was benched.

Then you have the coaching.........

Marciano. Enough said.

Kubiak/Dennison halftime adjustments (or lack-thereof).

Point being, if you don't perform well at your job there is a 99% job you will keep it. If I'm Ed Reed I'm pissed at being benched too. Look at the mediocrity around you and you're the one who gets benched. Not to mention he's the only guy to come out and voice the opinion that the majority of the fanbase already has. We all thought it and, for me, it was nice to hear someone from inside actually acknowledge it.

I thought it was a horrible signing when we brought him in and have no problem with seeing him gone. It's the matter in which it went about that gets me. The FO is basically telling players that they can suck as long as they toe the company line.

cbs1507
11-12-2013, 01:46 PM
He hasn't been "great" all season, but I don't think Ed Reed is the main reason we lost 7 in a row. I get it you can be as mediocre as you want just don't question the mediocrity of the coaching...make sense.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I heard marciano was saying he should coach the defense due to the fact his style of coaching always pins the offense inside the twenty.

Blake
11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Dead Reed laughing all the way to the bank...

Ed Reed
‏@TwentyER
Thanks to the Texans! And the City of Htown!

clutch
11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Thank god..we havnt won a game since he stepped on the field..here comes a 7 game winning streak...

Big Lou
11-12-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm glad they made the move, but the only problem now is that he is going to probably blab about what a horrible organization this is and talk mad sh!t and embarrass the city, and everything he says will be believed because he's a HOF'er and the Texans are 2 and 7.

I wonder if we could pay him another million to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Watch the Patriots pick him up, pay him vet min and then he'll play lights out 10 picks, and. SB Ring, would be the icing on the cake for this season.

Brisco_County
11-12-2013, 01:51 PM
I can't help but notice that any player that has spoken against the interests of the organization does not stick around another year.

Eric Winston and DeMeco Ryans were representatives in the players union during the lockout. Kris Brown ratted out Kubiak about practices. Then there's "Pay Me Rick" Robinson.

Sure, each one may have written their own ticket out of town, but the FO didn't put any effort into retaining them. This may be tinfoil hat territory, but it's a pattern. Has any player at odds with the coaches or Smith been retained even for one year?

Vinny
11-12-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm glad they made the move, but the only problem now is that he is going to probably blab about what a horrible organization this is and talk mad sh!t and embarrass the city, and everything he says will be believed because he's a HOF'er and the Texans are 2 and 7.

I wonder if we could pay him another million to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Watch the Patriots pick him up, pay him vet min and then he'll play lights out 10 picks, and. SB Ring, would be the icing on the cake for this season.

you want to pay to shut him up? This team doesn't need anyone to embarrass them since this is just more failure. They do a good job all by themselves.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 01:52 PM

And if that happens it proves his point about our coaching

ChampionTexan
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
1. It doesn't make a difference in the longrun.

The only long run difference it will make is that he reportedly got a $62,500 per game roster bonus for being on the 46 man active roster. I'm pretty sure that would have been considered a likely to be earned incentive, so the $437,500 that he could have earned over the final 7 games (along with $125,000 he didn't earn for the two games he was inactive to start the season) will be credited to next years cap amount.

htownfan32
11-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I can't help but notice that any player that has spoken against the interests of the organization does not stick around another year.

Eric Winston and DeMeco Ryans were representatives in the players union during the lockout. Kris Brown ratted out Kubiak about practices. Then there's "Pay Me Rick" Robinson.

Sure, each one may have written their own ticket out of town, but the FO didn't put any effort into retaining them. This may be tinfoil hat territory, but it's a pattern. Has any player at odds with the coaches or Smith been retained even for one year?

Ben Tate, maybe. I've always felt like he and Kubiak do not get along.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Somebody had to say it. What do we have to lose this year? Honestly, this is the best thing Ed Reed could do for this team because it helps chip away at Kubiak's sterling image in that organization. This team is going nowhere with this front office and coaching, we need more implosions like this to get the ball rolling to axe these guys. I hope someone like Antonio Smith echoes the same sentiment in the future.

The leadership on this team has consistently shown us a lack of accountability for players' performance, and Kubiak especially has shown a stubbornness to make the appropriate changes to put this team in a better position. I don't care how many times Kubiak says "it's on me", that doesn't help this team win. I want a coach who is willing to pull starters who suck, I want a coach who gets in the player's faces when they mess up, I want a coach who is willing to change his game plan (scripted or otherwise), when it is clearly not working. Find me a coach who demands excellence from his players every single week, because I don't think we have that now, on either side of the ball.

I thought it was a horrible signing when we brought him in and have no problem with seeing him gone. It's the matter in which it went about that gets me. The FO is basically telling players that they can suck as long as they toe the company line.

^ this.

The Pencil Neck
11-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm glad they made the move, too.

Ed Reed was pissed off because he wasn't getting as many snaps as he thought he should. But, jeez, he's been terrible since he got here. He shouldn't have been on the field at all... ever.

Someone said that Bullock cost us more games and I'm not entirely sure that's the case.

So Ed Reed gets his feelings hurt because of his lack of playing time so he starts talking about the coaching? Hell yes he needs to be cut.

srrono
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 16m

#Texans cut 6th rd pick Chris Jones. has 5 sacks in 6 games wt Pats. Only Texan with more, J.J. Watt (6.5). Oh and Ed Reed was released

ouch

markn

If we'd spent the the Reed money on Quin then we'd be in way better shape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Corrosion
11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Ed Reed was terminated because he wouldn't take the steel blue pill of bliss. There is no spoon.

I wont dispute that .... but he still shouldn't be taking the teams dirty laundry to the media. He definitely wasn't part of the solution ... more a part of the problem.

His deception in the FA process was a classless greedy act , his play did nothing to help the team and now I get the idea this was a self serving calculated move by Reed to get out of town and sign elsewhere for the rest of the season , somewhere he draws a playoff check ....

Carr Bombed
11-12-2013, 01:56 PM

At this point in his career Ed Reed isn't even NFL worthy... good riddance.

He took the Texans for a ride and scammed them out of one last pay day. I've said it before, Ed Reed showed up to collect his check holding a gun and wearing a ski mask.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I find it curious that Reed gets cut when Kubiak returns from his short absence. I wonder if he was told to cut him or who's idea this was.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 01:58 PM
The only long run difference it will make is that he reportedly got a $62,500 per game roster bonus for being on the 46 man active roster. I'm pretty sure that would have been considered a likely to be earned incentive, so the $437,500 that he could have earned over the final 7 games (along with $125,000 he didn't earn for the two games he was inactive to start the season) will be credited to next years cap amount.

If the total caphit for Ed Reed is the same, then it doesn't really matter in the longrun because cap rollover will mean we still have the same amount of money to work with. That is assuming we rollover all the extra cap space from this year.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 01:59 PM
I wont dispute that .... but he still shouldn't be taking the teams dirty laundry to the media. He definitely wasn't part of the solution ... more a part of the problem.

His deception in the FA process was a classless greedy act , his play did nothing to help the team and now I get the idea this was a self serving calculated move by Reed to get out of town and sign elsewhere for the rest of the season , somewhere he draws a playoff check ....

Looks to me that the Texans are intolerant of a little outside the lines coloring. Kubiak being out, Keo replacing Reed when Kubiak out....who's calling the shots here?

Corrosion
11-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Somebody had to say it. What do we have to lose this year? Honestly, this is the best thing Ed Reed could do for this team because it helps chip away at Kubiak's sterling image in that organization. This team is going nowhere with this front office and coaching, we need more implosions like this to get the ball rolling to axe these guys. I hope someone like Antonio Smith echoes the same sentiment in the future.

The leadership on this team has consistently shown us a lack of accountability for players' performance, and Kubiak especially has shown a stubbornness to make the appropriate changes to put this team in a better position. I don't care how many times Kubiak says "it's on me", that doesn't help this team win. I want a coach who is willing to pull starters who suck, I want a coach who gets in the player's faces when they mess up, I want a coach who is willing to change his game plan (scripted or otherwise), when it is clearly not working. Find me a coach who demands excellence from his players every single week, because I don't think we have that now, on either side of the ball.

^ this.

Did they have to say it to the media or could they have kept the dirty laundry in house - Take it to Kubiak himself , take it to McNair .... You don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

He did pull this starter .... who sucked. And that is probably why this sh!t went to the media.

steelbtexan
11-12-2013, 02:00 PM
This basically. Just tow the company line and you'll be fine, but don't speak out and make logical points against the staff or chop-chop.

I guess they just didn't like that he said it in public.

And because he's been terrible

^^^^
This

Is why the Rick/Gary regime should be fired.

Contrast that to why Coach Joe and Fat Randy still have jobs? Rick/Gary playing favorite and BoB's rule, dont dare speak a word bad about how bad the inner working of the Texans org really is. If fans know what's really going on behind the scenes then they could turn against the org. BoB cant have that, it's bad for business.

The Pencil Neck
11-12-2013, 02:00 PM

I don't see what the problem is with this.

If I'm a coach, I don't want players that I have problems with on my team. This isn't just football, it's the same in business situations or wherever you have a group of people working toward a common goal. If you've got people who are working against you, get them out of the group.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Did they have to say it to the media or could they have kept the dirty laundry in house - Take it to Kubiak himself , take it to McNair .... You don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

He did pull this starter .... who sucked. And that is probably why this sh!t went to the media.I may have this wrong since I'm multitasking....but Seth Payne was talking about Reed complaining that the coaches were not listening to him a bit ago on the radio.

Texian
Rick Smith gets a lot of hate on this board, but the good thing about him is that he's got no qualms about swinging the axe.

Yep, Rick swings the axe when Gary says, "Swing the axe Rick."

2012Champs
Looks to me that the Texans are intolerant of a little outside the lines coloring. Kubiak being out, Keo replacing Reed when Kubiak out....who's calling the shots here?

Coloring outside the lines? How many companies have you worked for that you could publicly blast your boss? For most jobs in this world its 0 add to that you suck at your job that number comes closer to 0 if it wasnt already

The1ApplePie
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
If Ed were still in his prime, he could get away with it. Shockey said the same exact thing a few years ago, and Coughlin had to suck it up and keep him.

toronto
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Never in a million years did I see this kind of season coming for you guys. Its almost insane when you go back and read this...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview13/team/_/name/hou

then shoot forward to today...

Man...

bhsman
Late to the party, but I guess Swearinger's play is what ultimately justified the move.

Sorry to see you go, Ed. Would have liked to have seen you win another ring with Andre. :(

Vinny
Coloring outside the lines? How many companies have you worked for that you could publicly blast your boss? For most jobs in this world its 0 add to that you suck at your job that number comes closer to 0 if it wasnt already Man, if you can't take a little criticism you gotta get some stones. This goose-step or the highway type thin skin isn't very flattering.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Late to the party, but I guess Swearinger's play is what ultimately justified the move.

Sorry to see you go, Ed. Would have liked to have seen you win another ring with Andre. :(
Keo beat him out.

beerlover
11-12-2013, 02:05 PM
His release should make the players more mentally tough, at least voicing conerns to media.

bhsman
11-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Keo beat him out.

Yeah, but Swearinger was drafted in spite of signing Reed.

Texian
The Coaching seat is getting hot.

steelbtexan

If I'm a coach, I don't want players that I have problems with on my team. This isn't just football, it's the same in business situations or wherever you have a group of people working toward a common goal. If you've got people who are working against you, get them out of the group.

2-7 reaching the common goal?

2012Champs
Man, if you can't take a little criticism you gotta get some stones. This goose-step or the highway type thin skin isn't very flattering.

Again who have you worked for that you can bad mouth your boss or company and get away with it? A little criticism? Get out of here with that. In an employer/employee relationship its never going to go well for the employee

badboy
most cynical, superficial off-season singing ever....well, at least since Ahman Green.If you think that singing is cynical and superficial, you should hear mine. I like the move.

Vinny
11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Again who have you worked for that you can bad mouth your boss or company and get away with it? A little criticism? Get out of here with that. In an employer/employee relationship its never going to go well for the employee
I've always been able to criticize my superior's strategy. Perhaps I've only worked for smart, secure people.

ThaJokaa
11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, but Swearinger was drafted in spite of signing Reed.

Except that Swag plays SS not FS

2012Champs
11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I've always been able to criticize my superior's strategy. Perhaps I've only worked for smart, secure people.

Publicly? Lets stop being so obtuse here

edit: Lets also add in this, did you suck at your job? Did you get paid millions to suck?

Vinny
11-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Publicly? Lets stop being so obtuse here
Perhaps you are just too used to Government work.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
This team is starting to get a Jerry Jones kind of vibe to it. What a mess.

bigmck
11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I was in my truck and heard a teaser on my station. "A future Hall of Famer is cut by the Texans today. Details at noon." == My first thoughts, "Why did they cut Andre Johnson, why would they do that." It was five minutes before I realized who it was. :)

Texecutioner
11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Man this organization gets more pussified by the minute. Finally a player has the balls to call this organization out on how trash they've been and they're to butt hurt to take it so they release the guy. Meanwhile, Bulluck and Marciano are still on this team since they are good little boys who dont speak bad about management.

The Texans needed a cancerish player at this point to call out the team. That's been the problem here for 8 years. No accountability from the owner, to the GM, to the coach, and to the fans.

I guess that management is going to use Reed as a scapegoat now and Many fans will buy into it and be sympathetic towards this coaching staff. Lol!

Thanks EdReed for being the only player on this team in 8 years to havsay things like they are.

2012Champs
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Perhaps you are just too used to Government work.

Ive never worked for the government so Im not sure where your thoughts are going. If you sucked, made lots of money it would not serve you well to publicly bad mouth your boss no matter what company you worked for. Continue your absurd thought process and detachment from reality if you wish

Rey
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I may have this wrong since I'm multitasking....but Seth Payne was talking about Reed complaining that the coaches were not listening to him a bit ago on the radio.

No, you're right. Actually it was John McClain that said it I believe. Reed said no one wanted to listen to him.

MEGA SWATT
11-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Damn. What if AJ or JJ said these things? I know they wouldn't. But what if they did? Would they cut them too?:wadepalm::kubepalm:

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 02:20 PM

C'mon, man, pro football is a business unlike most.

When the owner of the team comes out and basically says they are signing a veteran player to teach the rest of the team mental toughness, are you really believing a pro football franchise is just like Exxon or Walmart or wherever?

"[W]e have the opportunity to bring in someone that can add a dimension to our team that really, really feels a need that we have. It’s not often that we have that opportunity. We’ve talked before about the fact that as we get into the playoffs, we have to have that level of mental toughness that will allow us to handle the increased pressures that are taking places in that point in time. In order to do that, we need to have veteran leadership on the field."
~ Bob McNair (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Ed-Reed-signing-press-conference/e2f3666e-cb89-4509-bb08-66d87ef0303c)

So that whole leadership angle was only valid if he was going to tow the company line?

This is a sinking ship, but they want to act like it's all sunshine and rainbows on Kirby. Give me a break. We've seen this before, and it's just sprinkles on a dog turd. It's not brownie. It's sprinkle covered poo.

I hope Ed comes out and lays it bare now that he's got nothing to lose. This FO needs to be blown up and replaced. Going from a playoff season to 2-7 is pathetic. No more excuses for status quo.

2012Champs
11-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Damn. What if AJ or JJ said these things? I know they wouldn't. But what if they did? Would they cut them too?:wadepalm::kubepalm:

I would be they wouldnt cut him but you could bet they would tell him to shut his mouth. If Reed was playing well he would get slack too more than likely

Playoffs
11-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Memo sent today: Let that be a lesson to the rest of you that speaking your mind is not acceptable in this club...

Exactly.

IMO Reed didn't mean a thing to this team. He simply brought nothing to the table. The hired gun forgot to bring his bullets and everybody knew it.

He's a future HOF'er who knows how to master his craft and prepare for games. And he's already paid.

Why not sit down with the guy and ask him to do as much player coaching as he can. "Your body is done -- you & we know it -- we want your mind, to share with our players."

http://images.wikia.com/powerlisting/images/a/a9/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Guys on the radio also said the NFL announced that the Patriots game was flex scheduled and downgraded from a 3:25 start to a noon start. I know a lot of people here don't like 3:25 games (I, personally, do) but such a move is embarrassing. The late afternoon games are more prestigious and national.

What a mess this team is.

WolverineFan
No, you're right. Actually it was John McClain that said it I believe. Reed said no one wanted to listen to him.

Yep. He touched on it a bit in the interview that came out the other day.

Like he said, he's not an idiot. He knows football. He probably saw stuff out there and went to the coaches with it. They probably said "okay thanks Ed" and did nothing about it. He may have lost a lot of his ability, but he still has his brain and football IQ. If you're not going to listen to the guy then why even hire him in the first place?

Rey
What did Reed say that was so outrageous?

We got outplayed and out coached in some instances?

2012Champs

When the owner of the team comes out and basically says they are signing a veteran player to teach the rest of the team mental toughness, are you really believing a pro football franchise is just like Exxon or Walmart or wherever?

"[W]e have the opportunity to bring in someone that can add a dimension to our team that really, really feels a need that we have. It’s not often that we have that opportunity. We’ve talked before about the fact that as we get into the playoffs, we have to have that level of mental toughness that will allow us to handle the increased pressures that are taking places in that point in time. In order to do that, we need to have veteran leadership on the field."
~ Bob McNair (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Ed-Reed-signing-press-conference/e2f3666e-cb89-4509-bb08-66d87ef0303c)

So that whole leadership angle was only valid if he was going to tow the company line?

This is a sinking ship, but they want to act like it's all sunshine and rainbows on Kirby. Give me a break. We've seen this before, and it's just sprinkles on a dog turd. It's not brownie. It's sprinkle covered poo.

I hope Ed comes out and lays it bare now that he's got nothing to lose. This FO needs to be blown up and replaced. Going from a playoff season to 2-7 is pathetic. No more excuses for status quo.

All that was said before he turned a turd and didnt do anything on the field. While the NFL might be a different business, its a business just the same and running your mouth when you arent putting up often times would get you the can

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Guys on the radio also said the NFL announced that the Patriots game was flex scheduled and downgraded from a 3:25 start to a noon start. I know a lot of people here don't like 3:25 games (I, personally, do) but such a move is embarrassing. The late afternoon games are more prestigious and national.

Can you imagine if Reed comes back to Houston in Patriots gear in a few weeks? :wadepalm:

HOU-TEX
11-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Hmm, I wonder if Ed will choose to be enshrined into the HOF as a Texan or a Raven

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 02:25 PM

Aww Hell no. Either of those two could pull an Incognito and the Texans would look the other way. There are some players who've earned the right, and they qualify.

(Of course, I would prefer they didn't....lol)

TexansFTW
11-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Very happy. The tides are changing gentlemen. I can hear that Game of Thrones music playing in the background as Marciano, Dennison, Wade and Kubiak's head's are being rested on that tree stump.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
All that was said before he turned a turd and didnt do anything on the field. While the NFL might be a different business, its a business just the same and running your mouth when you arent putting up often times would get you the can

I do not disagree. But that same leadership quality that McNair was bragging about is the same leadership quality that answered a question when asked by the press.

This franchise has a history of getting rid of players who do not tow the company line. It is peculiar then as much as it is now.

Ed is merely the guy admitting that the emperor has no clothes.

Rey
11-12-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm beginning to really resent the culture that McNair has bred with his football team.

It's like we have an organization being run by a bunch of *******.

HOU-TEX
11-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I do not disagree. But that same leadership quality that McNair was bragging about is the same leadership quality that answered a question when asked by the press.

This franchise has a history of getting rid of players who do not tow the company line. It is peculiar then as much as it is now.

Ed is merely the guy admitting that the emperor has no clothes.

:hmmm: Why did I just picture McNair standing with no clothes...ewwee

badboy
11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Heads are gonna roll! That is what you get from being fat and sassy said the Thanksgiving turkey.

kingtexan
11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Confirms that this is a horrible organization from top to bottom, unless he asked to be released. Otherwise it was petty and only done because he said what everyone was thinking, but no one but him had the balls to vocalize. Our coaching staff is crap! Total bush-league move by Mrs. Smith, Aunt Bob, and the rest of the eunuchs.

santo
11-12-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm beginning to really resent the culture that McNair has bred with his football team.

This is why I feel we would never get a fiery coach like Gruden or Cowher. McNair seems to always want to hire "yes" men. :kubepalm::wadepalm:

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Very happy. The tides are changing gentlemen. I can hear that Game of Thrones music playing in the background as Marciano, Dennison, Wade and Kubiak's head's are being rested on that tree stump.

I like your thinking, but, I don't know about that. I can still see Kubiak getting an extension and a raise.

ChampionTexan
11-12-2013, 02:36 PM
If the total caphit for Ed Reed is the same, then it doesn't really matter in the longrun because cap rollover will mean we still have the same amount of money to work with. That is assuming we rollover all the extra cap space from this year.

But that's the point - the total cap hit isn't the same. It will be reduced by $62,500 for every game he would have been on the 46 man active roster. That's real cap reduction - not just moving it between years.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Yep. I'm starting to resent the "save Kubiak at all costs" culture that this team has. It's extremely frustrating. Even Rick Smith, who isn't perfect, has at least drafted fairly well, for the most part. So I'm ok with him staying a bit longer.

But, everything revolves around keeping Kubiak, and protecting him, and never criticizing him, and not judging him, etc. that this is where we are.

Why do you think this team couldn't "rally around the fallen coach" like a lot of teams do after Kubiak went down? Because the players don't know how. That would have taken some players stepping up as leaders, and we have not built the kind of culture that supports that.

MEGA SWATT
11-12-2013, 02:39 PM

This just in: Texans - Pats game will no longer be broadcasted on any network. If you want to see it, you must attend the game.

This just in: Texans-Pats game to be played in Astrodome. Something about the condition of the turf/grass pallets or something like that. Raider game in Reliant, then Pats game at the dome.

bOODRO87
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM

#Texans cut 6th rd pick Chris Jones. has 5 sacks in 6 games wt Pats. Only Texan with more, J.J. Watt (6.5). Oh and Ed Reed was released

ouch

What a joke.

Brisco_County
11-12-2013, 02:43 PM

I don't see a problem with it either, but it's worth noting.

Norg
11-12-2013, 02:44 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/r1c31g.jpg

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Wow Texans are building a case when it comes to how fast they can release black players versus white players just sayin...

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 02:45 PM
But that's the point - the total cap hit isn't the same. It will be reduced by $62,500 for every game he would have been on the 46 man active roster. That's real cap reduction - not just moving it between years.

Ohhhhhhh, gotcha. So that 1m roster bonus was prorated per game, and isn't guaranteed. That actually does potentially save some money, although it would have been saved if they just didn't bother to activate him.

sandmanx
11-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Just another day in the Texans 2013 season...

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Confirms that this is a horrible organization from top to bottom, unless he asked to be released. Otherwise it was petty and only done because he said what everyone was thinking, but no one but him had the balls to vocalize. Our coaching staff is crap! Total bush-league move by Mrs. Smith, Aunt Bob, and the rest of the eunuchs.

We don't know what is being said when no microphones are around. Could be many players have voiced opinions to the higher-ups.

Reed screwed up by taking it to the public forum. You say he's the only one that had the guts to vocalize. I say he's the only benchwarmer that was stupid enough to go public against the powers that be.

Given that, plus his atrocious performance on the field, I'd have gotten rid of him too.

Norg
11-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Wow Texans are building a case when it comes to how fast they can release black players versus white players just sayin...

not true

Dreessen,Winston,Brisel,Walter,Anderson,Barwin,Cas ey,

all dees fools got dat pink slip

and don't worry Scahub ,Yates,OD will be next and then what whos left LOL

htownfan32
11-12-2013, 02:51 PM

ouch

People like to throw this out but Chris Jones has been absolutely awful against the run.

buddyboy
11-12-2013, 02:52 PM

RICK SMITH IS RACIST AGAINST BLA...

Never mind, carry on. Just sayin...

kingtexan
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
We don't know what is being said when no microphones are around. Could be many players have voiced opinions to the higher-ups.

Reed screwed up by taking it to the public forum. You say he's the only one that had the guts to vocalize. I say he's the only benchwarmer that was stupid enough to go public against the powers that be.

Given that, plus his atrocious performance on the field, I'd have gotten rid of him too.

Could be? Yeah well we aren't hearing that anyone else was voicing the opinion so i will stick to my comment. He had the balls to say it, no one else did. As far as being a bench warmer, he is the only player with a ring my friend, and considered one of if not the best at his position in the history of the league. Maybe our schemes sucked and didn't allow him to make plays? Ever think about that? Or is our entire secondary really that bad?

This organization is a joke, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
People like to throw this out but Chris Jones has been absolutely awful against the run.

That's cool. Sub him in on 3rd and long downs to relieve Mitchell and I'd be happy.

kingtexan
11-12-2013, 02:54 PM
not true

,Brisel,

Man would he look good in a Texans uni right about now ...

Corrosion
11-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Not at all DB .... but when you put the teams business out in the street , that's a different story altogether.

If Reed had issues , he should have taken them to Kubiak or McNair .... Not Twitter Universe for the whole world to see.

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Could be? Yeah well we aren't hearing that anyone else was voicing the opinion so i will stick to my comment. He had the balls to say it, no one else did. As far as being a bench warmer, he is the only player with a ring my friend, and considered one of if not the best at his position in the history of the league. Maybe our schemes sucked and didn't allow him to make plays? Ever think about that? Or is our entire secondary really that bad?

This organization is a joke, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Let me understand. So if a player criticizes the team's coaches when no reporters and their microphones are around you'd still know about it? You are an amazing individual.

ChampionTexan
11-12-2013, 02:57 PM

As has the entire Patriot defense.

Uncle Rico
11-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Out of curiosity why does the board think he sucks? He wasn't brought here to be a head hunter, and nobody expected him to snag 10 picks did they? I always thought that when you didn't hear much about a DB it was a good thing.

Good Ol Boy system hard at work.

76Texan
11-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Out of curiosity why does the board think he sucks? He wasn't brought here to be a head hunter, and nobody expected him to snag 10 picks did they? I always thought that when you didn't hear much about a DB it was a good thing.

Well, he did get a penalty for head hunting, and in this case, you hear something about him. :lol:

CloakNNNdagger
11-12-2013, 03:03 PM
$5 million for 5 games for 16 tackles..................Some people in the FO need to follow Reed out the door.

Rey
11-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Brice McCain no only still has a job, but now he's a starter.

I really don't know how a professional organization can be so dumb.

When they look at film and see all these players making mistakes, do they just blank it out because it's too traumatic or something?

Why is newton still starting? Why did Schaub have to get injured to lose his job? Why is McCain still the nickel corner? Why does earl Mitchell get a pass? Why don't red and merciless have heat on them for their jobs/why don't we give other players a shot?

Keyshawn Martin? Randy bullock?

It's like in every single fuccing phase we have players who aren't being held accountable. We have coaches that continue to run these players out on the field when it's obvious they aren't good enough. We have crappy players being gifted starting spots. And then we don't even put any real heat on them to play well.

I don't get it. Why do they have to be so slow reacting?

This front office ****ing blows ass. Something needs to change. Something should have already changed.

They had a chance to build on two good seasons, but instead they refused to close obvious holes and then compounded their ineptitude with ****ty decision after ****ty decision.

Troy Chapman
$2,666,667 dead money hit to the 2014 cap. Time to draft another safety.

Showtime100

Coming to the conclusion he sucks and is a shell of his former self on the field has been one of the easiest observations I've ever made.

He was brought here to do a job on the field. He didn't fulfill his end of the deal.

Personally I heard a lot about him and have since he was signed.....all of it in the negative.

He blabbed to the media. Camel's back broken. He's gone. End of story.

Thorn
11-12-2013, 03:06 PM
The front office needs an enema.

Rey
11-12-2013, 03:09 PM

So?

We have guys that are bad against both/players that haven't done anything. Literally.

At least he has been good at something. Plus he has upside to get better.

It was a mistake cutting him. Big time mistake.

We kept Montgomery who did nothing and couldn't get out of his own damn way, but we cut a guy that has actual production for an nfl team.

The texans have made a bunch of dumb moves and that was another one.

Texan_Bill
11-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Why are we still talking about secondary issues only a couple of years from picking up JJO and Manning?

:gun:

Honoring Earl 34
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM

Maybe he lost his head ? :wadepalm:

Jackie Chiles
11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
The front office needs an enema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYaki2ZvhSE

leebigeztx
11-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Uncle Bob sure has been quiet lately.

Uncle Bob pushed for Reed. When the owner pushes,you nake it happen.
I

Trap_Star
11-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Why are we still talking about secondary issues only a couple of years from picking up JJO and Manning?

Because we missed out on Nnamdi Asomugha.

WolverineFan
11-12-2013, 03:18 PM

Because it today's NFL you need Safeties who can matchup against WR's and TE's and you need 3-4 CB's who can actually cover.

We had the Safeties last year with Quin and Manning and had 2 good CB's in JJo and KJax. We didn't have the nickel and dime depth CB's.

Now we have Swearinger and Keo at Safety with a declining JJo and an injure KJax at CB and still no depth at CB.

Secondary is getting worse and we really need to address the position in the draft. I'd say with a 2nd-3rd round CB and a 3rd-4th round Safety.

ArlingtonTexan
11-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Let's just assume that Ed Reed's going away was only about his public statement, how's that any different than the real world exactly?

How many of think you can stand in front of a company's customer base and declare that management sucks with no punishment...especially when you not really good at your job?

Even if no more than a tacit agreement (often it is in writing somewhere), pretty much any us involved giving/getting a paycheck, the understanding is that if you have a problem with things you go to management in private, not call the business out in a mass public forum.

And yes grown man Ed Reed is free to say what heck he wants, but the texans are equally free to not like and do something about it.

HOU-TEX
11-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Unfortunately, JJo's a huge reason why. One good year and now he's a liability most of the time. It's been a saddening season

edwardc5637
11-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Yes he does bullock and mcain is still on the team.

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Because it today's NFL you need Safeties who can matchup against WR's and TE's and you need 3-4 CB's who can actually cover.

We had the Safeties last year with Quin and Manning and had 2 good CB's in JJo and KJax. We didn't have the nickel and dime depth CB's.

Now we have Swearinger and Keo at Safety with a declining JJo and an injure KJax at CB and still no depth at CB.

Secondary is getting worse and we really need to address the position in the draft. I'd say with a 2nd-3rd round CB and a 3rd-4th round Safety.

With this front office's track record of drafting secondary, do you really think it would make a difference? They haven't come close to drafting an impact defensive player period outside of the first round pretty much since day one.

Runner
11-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Maybe this is an indication of why the players talk up how great Kubiak is and how they would do anything for him.

And then they don't.

Or it could indicate nothing. Who really cares at this point.

texanhead08
11-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Please let Gary and Rick be next on the chopping block.

EVOLVIST
11-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Now more than ever.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/Reed_49_zpsded73576.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/EVOLVIST/media/Reed_49_zpsded73576.jpg.html)

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Exactly this team has no one on it that is a true leader and this last move proved that.

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
not true

Dreessen,Winston,Brisel,Walter,Anderson,Barwin,Cas ey,

all dees fools got dat pink slip

and don't worry Scahub ,Yates,OD will be next and then what whos left LOL

They were cut with class not in disrespect though

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 03:36 PM
RICK SMITH IS RACIST AGAINST BLA...

Never mind, carry on. Just sayin...

Rick Smith is just the name and identity Bob McNair hides behind...

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 03:41 PM
The term "outplayed and outcoached" are such generic terms in the NFL. We've heard this phrase for years.

Belichick 8/22: We got outplayed and outcoached (http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Belichick-822-We-got-outplayed-and-outcoached/b6108475-c7a4-404c-9c49-7edfbfff1799)

Do you think Patriots players got their underwear bunched up because their head coach said they got outplayed?

C'mon, these dudes get paid millions to compete. If some generic phrase muttered after a 7 GAME LOSING STREAK is going to reveal the soft underbelly of this franchise, they might not have the mental fortitude in the long run to compete against the Bill Belichicks of the world.

If they cut Reed because he sucks, so be it.

But if they cut him because he was a little critical by using a very generic phrase, then this FO is soft as puppy poop.

santo
11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Please let Gary and Rick be next on the chopping block.

And Wade.:wadepalm:

Texecutioner
11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Stupidity at its finest.

bOODRO87
11-12-2013, 03:52 PM
To the closet my Texans hats go! I can't take this softness anymore.

False Start
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Really? :ok: :faildetector:

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Stupidity at its finest.

That's putting it nicer than I might have. This thread is laced with some surprising comments, imo.

texanhead08
11-12-2013, 03:56 PM
And Wade.:wadepalm:

I meant the whole staff in that post.

False Start
11-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Even more egregious was Newton saying that he though battle red was fugly.

We need to take the message to where it counts! Twitter, of course.

I heard he also said, that battlefighting is a myth, he's tired of busting his tail on every play, and he thinks Marciano needed to be promoted to interim HC while Kubiak was out.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I heard he also said, that battlefighting is a myth, he's tired of busting his tail on every play, and he thinks Marciano needed to be promoted to interim HC while Kubiak was out.

Yep, all of that, and he said that Bob McNair has a big butt.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 04:02 PM
So maybe reed should have said "it's on the coaches" and left it at that.

It would have been as short and sweet as kubiak's "It's on me" or Caper's "we didn't execute":kitten:

Showtime100
11-12-2013, 04:05 PM

It would have been as short and sweet as kubiak's "It's on me" or Caper's "we didn't execute":kitten:

But the fact remains he's black so..........:roast:

:D

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Stupidity at its finest.

Who else got released in the middle of the season this year. They could have done this to everyone regardless at the end of the year. What statement are they making by releasing all these players now?

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Still would have cut him.

Sigma
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I just hope he doesn't sign with the patriots and start playing good in week 13 :S

Wolf
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Who else got released in the middle of the season this year. They could have done this to everyone regardless at the end of the year. What statement are they making by releasing all these players now?

They are trying not to lose the team. But afraid their spirit is broke..or I should say their swag.

Ended after jj had the comment about hate losing after busting his nose and then team came out flat again the next week

TheRealJoker
11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
This season should show the character of some of our players.

I'm really interested to see how the core members of this team conduct themselves the rest of the year.

We know JJ/AJ will give it 100% but i'm wondering if we have any other players who are going to go pointing fingers if/when we continue to lose.

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
They are trying not to lose the team. But afraid their spirit is broke..or I should say their swag.

Ended after jj had the comment about hate losing after busting his nose and then team came out flat again the next week

So what's the point of cutting Tim Dobbins, Cierre Wood, Sam Montgomery, Ed Reed, Willie Jefferson now versus the end of the season when they may cut Randy Bullock, Gary Kubiak, Matt Schaub, special teams coach and whoever else.

False Start
11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I wonder if he used this when he left Reliant?

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/Ed-Reed-Walker.jpg

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
According to justtxyank at clutchfans, credible insider, the way they handled the reed situation was not pretty and the football operations side along with Kubiak are in serious trouble, according to his source.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Why don't you look back at this season and see if you can count all the Texans players that shouldn't be playing in the NFL right now.

Then from that group, count how many have publicly criticized the Texans in any capacity.

How many do you get?

Rey
11-12-2013, 04:27 PM
The term "outplayed and outcoached" are such generic terms in the NFL. We've heard this phrase for years.

Belichick 8/22: We got outplayed and outcoached (http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Belichick-822-We-got-outplayed-and-outcoached/b6108475-c7a4-404c-9c49-7edfbfff1799)

Do you think Patriots players got their underwear bunched up because their head coach said they got outplayed?

C'mon, these dudes get paid millions to compete. If some generic phrase muttered after a 7 GAME LOSING STREAK is going to reveal the soft underbelly of this franchise, they might not have the mental fortitude in the long run to compete against the Bill Belichicks of the world.

If they cut Reed because he sucks, so be it.

But if they cut him because he was a little critical by using a very generic phrase, then this FO is soft as puppy poop.

Exactly. I'm still trying to figure out where the outrage comes from. I didn't even think twice when I heard that.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
According to justtxyank at clutchfans, credible insider, the way they handled the reed situation was not pretty and the football operations side along with Kubiak are in serious trouble, according to his source.

Meaning the overall Ed Reed situation - the decision to recruit and sign him from the jump - or just this week's situation?

I really think the Randy Bullock mess is a bigger disaster for this team than Ed Reed. Just my opinion.

BigBull17
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM

...Since when? Opposite actually. We have no reactionary bone in our body. A kicker directly cost you a do or die game and you try out a few guys and do...nothing. A qb sucks the life out of your team and you never do a f-ing thing until he gets hurt and gives you no choice. We wait and wait on under preforming talent before being forced to make a move. Not afraid to swing the axe my ass...

Steal Your Face
11-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Why?
What team purpose does it serve to say it in the media?

It may satisfy some fans on message boards or on sports talk radio ... may affirm/confirm their speculations ... but what positive team purpose does it serve?

False Start
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Its sad to say the lasting image I will have of Ed Reed's time with the Texans is this:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3809/9897893834_0bf55ba0f3_o.gif

:wadepalm:

djohn2oo8
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Meaning the overall Ed Reed situation - the decision to recruit and sign him from the jump - or just this week's situation?

I really think the Randy Bullock mess is a bigger disaster for this team than Ed Reed. Just my opinion.

The way they released him allegedy. It was pretty cold blooded. He didn't throw a tantrum, but it wasn't nice. -Justtxyank

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Its sad to say the lasting image I will have of Ed Reed's time with the Texans is this:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3809/9897893834_0bf55ba0f3_o.gif

:wadepalm:

That's a really nice highlight reel of Ed's tenure with the team. Put a voice of god on it saying something really dramatic with some really powerful music, and this could be worthy of NFL Films!

Steal Your Face
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM

What is mentally tough about airing the team's dirty laundry in the media?

How does that show leadership?

Texian
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Ed Reed was certainly able to teach Smubiak some "Mental Toughness"....and the walls they came tumbling down.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Now you see why houston media always throws err lob err underhand toss softball questions at the Texans. You rock the boat..you walk the plank.

Rey
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Let's just assume that Ed Reed's going away was only about his public statement, how's that any different than the real world exactly?

You gonna relate real life to this event only or across the board?

Besides the fact that these guys jobs are nothing like the real world, let's look at other individuŕl scenarios.

Practice fights. You have a disagreement in the office so you and a coWorker come to blows. Happens all the time in football.

Your boss reviewing your work and saying you gave a ****ing ****ty effort. Happens all he time in foitball.

You do well at work and your boss slaps your ass. No?

You do a better job than your competition and tell them "you can't ****ing see me bro!!!!" "Get your weak ass outta here".

Do you taunt your competition by saying: "I saw your sister in the stands...I'm going to **** her brains out later...well her or your fine ass mom...haven't decided" ????

The thing is, football isn't like most jobs. It's pretty unique all things considered and most comparisons to regular jobs fall flat.

Steal Your Face
11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
This is why I feel we would never get a fiery coach like Gruden or Cowher. McNair seems to always want to hire "yes" men. :kubepalm::wade palm:

You think Gruden, Cowher ... or any NFL caliber HC would disapprove of an FO that releases a overpaid, underperforming, has-been that is being critical of coaching decisions? ... :kubepalm:

Pantherstang84
11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I wasn't wrong (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2201358&postcount=205) after all. The guy played like a steaming pile of poo here and folks are saying it was because he criticized the coaching? Maybe it was a little of both. Nah. It has to be because he criticized the coaching. :kubepalm:

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
What is mentally tough about airing the team's dirty laundry in the media?

How does that show leadership?

Do you honestly believe the term "outplayed and outcoached" during a 7 game losing streak is "airing the team's dirty laundry"?

It's not like Reed named names or specifically pointed out certain players or coaches. Unless there is an interview or tweet that I have not heard about, this is as generic as it gets.

I've heard the term "outplayed and outcoached" for decades. I would not be surprised if it's a term he used as a Raven at some point in the past decade.

And yeah, it is a form of leadership, and Ed being Ed is exactly who they bought. Just because his leadership is not the style they desire during a historic franchise meltdown doesn't mean that it's not a form of leadership.

Steal Your Face
11-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Exactly this team has no one on it that is a true leader and this last move proved that.

Completely wrong. There are other ways to lead besides criticizing coaching to the media.

JJ Watt
Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Brian Cushing

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Completely wrong. There are other ways to lead besides criticizing coaching to the media.

JJ Watt
Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Brian Cushing

All of those players were here last year and the owner still brought Ed Reed in to teach them mental toughness against teams like the Patriots. This according to the owner's own words.

McNair was obviously not content with the leadership last season.

Uncle Rico
11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
and people still argue about houston having a soft media.

All you have to do is look at how rex ryan is question in new york after a rough game in comparison to the english tea party conference kubiak has with the chron beat writers.

That's what happens when you only have one major newspaper in a major american city.

I miss the Post, it was the better of the two papers IMO.

Rey
11-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Do you honestly believe the term "outplayed and outcoached" during a 7 game losing streak is "airing the team's dirty laundry"?

It's not like Reed named names or specifically pointed out certain players or coaches. Unless there is an interview or tweet that I have not heard about, this is as generic as it gets.

I've heard the term "outplayed and outcoached" for decades. I would not be surprised if it's a term he used as a Raven at some point in the past decade.

And yeah, it is a form of leadership, and Ed being Ed is exactly who they bought. Just because his leadership is not the style they desire during a historic franchise meltdown doesn't mean that it's not a form of leadership.

Agreed.

And also, right before saying that he said that the team played well but in "certain situations we were outplayed and out coached"

It can't be because of that statement. There has to be more to it because that is nothing.

ArlingtonTexan
11-12-2013, 05:10 PM
You gonna relate real life to this event only or across the board?

Besides the fact that these guys jobs are nothing like the real world, let's look at other individuŕl scenarios.

Practice fights. You have a disagreement in the office so you and a coWorker come to blows. Happens all the time in football.

Your boss reviewing your work and saying you gave a ****ing ****ty effort. Happens all he time in foitball.

You do well at work and your boss slaps your ass. No?

You do a better job than your competition and tell them "you can't ****ing see me bro!!!!" "Get your weak ass outta here".

Do you taunt your competition by saying: "I saw your sister in the stands...I'm going to **** her brains out later...well her or your fine ass mom...haven't decided" ????

The thing is, football isn't like most jobs. It's pretty unique all things considered and most comparisons to regular jobs fall flat.

This isn't the overgrown Mom and Pops businesses of yester year. football is big business and such is being pounded not so gently into a high paid, but just like your job career.

-See current bully case
-See Head trauma law cases
-See access to nearly every aspect of the game
-See players having to play corporate face men in public comments

Owners wanting billions and players wanting millions can't make the sports out to be some semi-secret fraternity, where men have the license to be glorified too old frat boys. Those days are long gone.

The reason some the stories we have are stories is because these guys are being analyzed and expected to behave like normal adults except of course for three hours or so on Sunday. Not even arguing that it is good for the sport so much, just looking at what's happening versus what "ideal" that people sort wax poetic about.

Malloy
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
soooooo.... Marciano Next? :)

Texian
11-12-2013, 05:13 PM

That's because Rick Smith hates black people. :lol: :kubepalm: :wadepalm:

Wolf
soooooo.... Marciano Next? :)
No he is too quiet and doesn't rock the boat

Dan B.
Agreed.

And also, right before saying that he said that the team played well but in "certain situations we were outplayed and out coached"

It can't be because of that statement. There has to be more to it because that is nothing.

I think there is more to it as well. If JJ Watt said we were outplayed and outcoached he would still be a Texan the next day. They cut Reed for performance IMO.

Marcus

C'mon DB. The guy was completely stinking it up on the field. You know that. We all know that. So, don't you think he should be the one to talk about criticizing anyone, except himself?

If you're playing bad enough to get benched, discretion would follow to keep your mouth shut. Not really a hard concept to grasp.

Steal Your Face
11-12-2013, 05:19 PM

I was a big Ed Reed fan before he got here - but I think he should have kept it "in house".

It's all about timing. In week 2 or 4, his comments would not really be a big deal. But after 7 losses in a row, after the HC has had a TIA and is convalescing at home and the team is being coached by the coordinators, after he has not only played poorly but did so after missing all of training camp and the first two games with an injury that he should have disclosed, after all that happened this year, those comments were very counterproductive.

He said more than just "outplayed and out coached" he rambled on about doing the same thing over and over again the same way. I don't think he was wrong ... I just think what he said was all about Ed Reed not about trying to help the Texans.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 05:20 PM
All of those players were here last year and the owner still brought Ed Reed in to teach them mental toughness against teams like the Patriots. This according to the owner's own words.

McNair was obviously not content with the leadership last season.

Yep. McNair made it clear several times that Reed was being brought in because of his "mental toughness" and "leadership."

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 05:20 PM

JJ Watt
Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Brian Cushing

They aren't leaders... they want to win but they don't hold any weight on the head coach or owner.

2012Champs
11-12-2013, 05:22 PM
They aren't leaders... they want to win but they don't hold any weight on the head coach or owner.

Im not sure you would be qualified to say who isnt a leader on the team

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 05:23 PM
That's because Rick Smith hates black people. :lol: :kubepalm: :wadepalm:

Rick Smith has no power he simply doing what he is told. Hence why he hasn't been fired.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
So basically we have announcers calling what our plays are in the red zone and reed saying exactly what we knew...running same **** over and over.

I do like gary and wade. But I am thinking we need to dump the horse and wagon and upgrade to one of those horseless carriages to compete in the new NFL

Hell maybe Bob can bring in Dan Reeves to consult first