PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed released

Pages : 1 [2]

Steal Your Face
11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
They aren't leaders... they want to win but they don't hold any weight on the head coach or owner.

"They aren't leaders ..." you gotta be kidding.

"They don't hold any weight on the HC or the owner" ... ??? What does that mean? Not sure what you are getting at there.

So ... the new guy that fails to disclose a serious injury, misses all of training camp, calls out the coaches in the media after getting demoted is a leader ... but

JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Brain Cushing and Duane Brown are not ....

DX-TEX
11-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Im not defending Ed Reed for his play. He has not been all that impactful this season at all. .

Now that is said: I am sick and tired of the ****ing dog and pony show that is the Houston Texans. They didn't cut Reed because of his play, they cut him because he spoke out and said the got damned truth! This team has been seriously out coached this entire season. They will cut Reed because he made a couple comments yet they let:

-- Schaub ruin the entire first third of the season and took no action. Only reason Case got his shot is because of the injury. Schaub wasn't hurt he wouldnt have been replaced until after the KC game
--Derek Newton is a complete hologram of a person at RT and his back up has out played him at every chance he has gotten, yet he STILL starts
--Randy "fatass aggie" Bullock missed field goals in week 1 and continues to miss even now and has cost them the past two games, yet nothing is done.
--Joe Marciano, special teams coach, runs the worst special teams unit for two consecutive seasons now and nothing is done
--Our OLB's are trash and nothing is done

Yet Ed got cut because he spoke the damned truth!

The inability to make ANY adjustments during a game is infuriating and laughable all at once. The CBS announcers quoted Patrick Peterson during the Cardinals game saying that the Texans DONT make any adjustments at halftime either with the lead or without. Look at this entire season and you can see that plain as day.

Either there is a broad change in this organization, I mean the entire coaching staff including Wade gets fired, or I am done with them. We are a laughing stock right now and its like watching drunk monkeys ****ing a football.

TexansSeminole
11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Its sad to say the lasting image I will have of Ed Reed's time with the Texans is this:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3809/9897893834_0bf55ba0f3_o.gif

:wadepalm:

Technically, he has done his job here. The back gets no additional yardage.

This move just shows the ineptitude of our FO. I argued hard for Quin to stay and said that it would require two guys to replace him. Someone to play the normal starting safety position and someone to play the in the box nickel type position that he played on this ridiculous defensive scheme that Wade runs. We decided to run Keo out there for the majority of the season, with some snaps from Reed mixed in. Just as he is getting back into playing shape, he gets cut? Atleast we got lucky with Swearinger so we can atleast say that we half replaced Quin.

Why do you sign a player that is injured, then cut him as soon as he starts to get healthy? Why do you spout off about how his veteran presence will be a plus but then release him as soon as he starts speaking up? He's right, the coaches are getting out coached and clearly need someone to tell them that they aren't doing what needs to be done. Too bad that came from a player and not someone higher up within the organization.

I'm done with this FO. Stupid decisions this year have done it for me. Drafting Montgomery, who had clear red flags, then cutting him before the mid-season mark? There goes that 3rd or 4th rounder, whatever it was. Cutting Chris Jones, who is then picked up and cut by one of only 4 teams that are worse than us, then promptly picked up by a winning organization. That goes to show that we are closer to the Bucs than we are the Pats. There goes that 6th rounder. Not placing an importance on Quin, who a blind person could see was hugely important in this ridiculous all or nothing man scheme that we trot out every week? Allowing this sorry excuse for a kicker to continue putting together one of the worst kicking performances I have ever seen in a season? Keeping Matt Schaub as a starter when it was clear that he couldn't stop throwing it to the defense or throw it 40 yards. Thinking McCain could ever be a serviceable nickel when he was getting manhandled 2 seasons ago. Not upgrading our special teams with a coach that actually had a track record of success. Getting rid of a good kick returner so we could give the job to ... Martin?? Going into the season with Newton, a ****ty 7th rounder, and an injured rookie at right tackle? Not upgrading inside linebacker when we saw the importance of that last season?

/rant

Off with their heads!

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
"They aren't leaders ..." you gotta be kidding.

"They don't hold any weight on the HC or the owner" ... ??? What does that mean? Not sure what you are getting at there.

So ... the new guy that fails to disclose a serious injury, misses all of training camp, calls out the coaches in the media after getting demoted is a leader ... but

JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, Brain Cushing and Duane Brown are not ....

Its the system man... gotta know and understand the system. ..

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 06:13 PM
C'mon DB. The guy was completely stinking it up on the field. You know that. We all know that. So, don't you think he should be the one to talk about criticizing anyone, except himself?

If you're playing bad enough to get benched, discretion would follow to keep your mouth shut. Not really a hard concept to grasp.

We all know this franchise circles the wagons during hard times. So yeah, be a cowboy, not an indian shooting arrows.

Ed Reed might have played this team like a fiddle in the off-season to the tune of million$...and you know what? He may have just played them again to get the hell out of here. He knows how this franchise operates. Push the magic eject button and wipe your hands of it.

Hopefully, McNair chaulks it up to a learning experience. Signing a gimpy HoF on name only for his leadership skills to teach mental toughness is not a good use of your money.

For me as a fan, I've learned to never be optimistic about signing a gimpy HoF on name only for his leadership skills to teach mental toughness.

They certainly did not cut him for stinking it up on the field. We know this for a fact because Newton and Bullock still get trotted out there to get a pay check. And as long as these guys stay in the wagon train, it's all good.

YeaLikeRightNow
11-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Maybe, just maybe Bob saw how well Peyton Manning looked during warm-ups, that he could also land in a gold mine by picking "another" old man for his team.

:roast:

chenjy9
11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
So the real question is not whether or not he should be cut, but rather why he was cut then. Hopefully it was because as a player Reed sucks and that means Bullocks, Marciano, Newton, Schaub, McCain, OC, and Kubiak. If it was because he spoke out, well that sends a clear message to players with character that we value stupidity and deceit over performance and winning.

cuppacoffee
11-12-2013, 06:30 PM
I think we need a new team doctor.

I don't think Reed would have passed CnD's muster.

:coffee:

dalemurphy
11-12-2013, 07:12 PM
So the real question is not whether or not he should be cut, but rather why he was cut then. Hopefully it was because as a player Reed sucks and that means Bullocks, Marciano, Newton, Schaub, McCain, OC, and Kubiak. If it was because he spoke out, well that sends a clear message to players with character that we value stupidity and deceit over performance and winning.

That is oversimplification and poor logic:

Other factors like:

1. ability to find a suitable replacement
2. Salary cap ramifications
3. intangibles that we aren't fully privy to

** Antonio Smith has been outspoken in the past. He has played out a five year contract. Paying a guy $5 million, having him perform very poorly, and also being a public relation headache and not buying into the team's philosophy likely all worked together... If he was playing well, he'd still be on the team. We can be confident of that.

dalemurphy
11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
A guy speaks his mind, has a voice of his own, lets his opinion be known and what do we do?

We cut and release him. 3 guys, two young talented players smoke weed (cigars whatever) and we cut them straight out.

This Zero Tolerance Draconian style Philosophy HAS. GOT. TO. STOP.

Really? They didn't cut anyone contributing to the team, at all... I don't see any zero tolerance philosophy from that...

As a Cowboy fan in the Jimmy Johnson era- Jimmy gave a lot of rope to quality players (which has been well documented). However, when a mediocre player or non-essential player screwed up, he dumped him immediately.

The Texans clearly have a different talent acquisition policy than that Cowboy team did (prioritizing character more highly). However, I don't see any sign that they are less tolerant or more reactionary to players on the team. Maybe his comments were an excuse to cut dead weight... But, dead weight is dead weight. They tolerated Dunta Robinson until he was utterly worthless. They have handled Antonio Smith throughout the five years of his contract. Pollard was vocal as well and the Texans didn't cut him during a season and only let him go after his atrocious on field performance throughout 2010.

eriadoc
11-12-2013, 07:46 PM
They didn't cut Reed because of his play, they cut him because he spoke out and said the got damned truth! This team has been seriously out coached this entire season.

I could get with that if Reed had come out and said the Texans were outcoached because they decided to sign and play an old, slow, washed up, gimp hipped, sorry ass safety. If he had said those words, then I'd be all about him telling the truth.

DX-TEX
11-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I could get with that if Reed had come out and said the Texans were outcoached because they decided to sign and play an old, slow, washed up, gimp hipped, sorry ass safety. If he had said those words, then I'd be all about him telling the truth.

Has this team been out coached? yes or no.

Hate Ed and all his production but he told the truth. If you cant see then you don't understand the game period.

eriadoc
11-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Has this team been out coached? yes or no.

I already said - every time they put Ed Reed on the field. Or hired him.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 08:19 PM
It was a combo of both.. Talked the talk...then someone younger and cheaper was doing as good as he. So cut bait. If Texans had a good record they would have talked privately and kept him around for veteran support. But defense is sucking And team out of contention..sooo lets clear salary cap early

DX-TEX
11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
I already said - every time they put Ed Reed on the field. Or hired him.

Why do you keep mentioning that? They have been out coached, out classed and pretty much just outed all damn season long. Blame Ed Reed all you want but my point stands: he spoke the truth and some of you just don't want to hear it

This franchise is **** at this point

Thorn
11-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Why do you keep mentioning that? They have been out coached, out classed and pretty much just outed all damn season long. Blame Ed Reed all you want but my point stands: he spoke the truth and some of you just don't want to hear it

This franchise is **** at this point

Ed Reed did speak the truth. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea to cut him.

drs23
11-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Wow Texans are building a case when it comes to how fast they can release black players versus white players just sayin...

Is that you Malcom? :roast:

G27RR
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
This forum has imploded even more spectacularly than the Texans' season, and that's saying something.

eriadoc
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Why do you keep mentioning that?

Was it a good coaching decision to hire Ed Reed? Yes or no?

Was it a good coaching decision to play Ed Reed? Yes or no?

When you answer those, you'll understand why I keep bringing it up. This team has been outcoached in part BECAUSE OF Ed Reed. So yeah, he spoke the truth. I just fail to see how that puts him above the fray in your eyes. Hell, firing his slow, decrepit, no hip having, sorry ass is the second best coaching decision the Texans have made this year. So maybe they're finally on the right track.

drs23
11-12-2013, 08:33 PM
According to justtxyank at clutchfans, credible insider, the way they handled the reed situation was not pretty and the football operations side along with Kubiak are in serious trouble, according to his source.

So the janitor has been outed?? :kitten:

Wolf
11-12-2013, 08:36 PM

When you answer those, you'll understand why I keep bringing it up. This team has been outcoached in part BECAUSE OF Ed Reed. So yeah, he spoke the truth. I just fail to see how that puts him above the fray in your eyes. Hell, firing his slow, decrepit, no hip having, sorry ass is the second best coaching decision the Texans have made this year. So maybe they're finally on the right track.

I was ok with the reed signing ESP after drafting DJ. I looked as reed as someone that could bring experience to a defense that will go up against Manning and Brady in the playoffs. That is when things count

However. Our defense sucks beside Watt and can't generate a pass rush worth ****. So without a pass rush. We see what is happening to JJo and KJ and rest of the crew

DX-TEX
11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Ed Reed did speak the truth. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea to cut him.

I never said it wasn't. Go re read my first post in this matter.

Same here: go re read my original post. It doesn't put him above it but I DO have huge issues with people acting like "oh its about time he sucks!". He spoke the truth and got cut because of it yet Schaub, Marciano, Newton, Kubiak, Philips, fat kicker, Reed/Mercilus,.....(need I keep going?) just get a damn pass.

The ownership of this team ahs the wool pulled over peoples eyes and you devour the slop they put in front of you, thank them and then ask for seconds.

eriadoc
11-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I was ok with the reed signing ESP after drafting DJ.

I wanted DJ Swearinger in the draft before we ever let Quin go. I was against the Ed Reed signing from the start. I thought Quin was a good player that should have been retained, or at least have his departure planned for by drafting a safety the year before or something. Ed Reed was his replacement plan. IMO at the time, it didn't take a genius to figure out that was going to suck.

drs23
11-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Agreed.

And also, right before saying that he said that the team played well but in "certain situations we were outplayed and out coached"

It can't be because of that statement. There has to be more to it because that is nothing.

Agree for sure. Something here doesn't pass the smell test. I'm on record along with several others as saying this was another A. Green signing which McNair said we wouldn't ever do again and then he championed the chasing of Reed. Consistency? I think not.

go texans?

Texan_Bill
11-12-2013, 08:49 PM
[B]Wow Texans are building a case when it comes to how fast they can release black players versus white players just sayin[B]...

RICK SMITH IS RACIST AGAINST BLA...

Never mind, carry on. Just sayin...

Really??? REALLY?????

WOW Wow to the bolded!! That's pretty much one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen!

There were some other responses to cstyles posts that I wanted to quote but couldn't find them.....

*EDIT*

EFF ME!! Apparently I've been so absentee that I don't remember how to "bold" someone's quote!! FML!

:facepalm: Bill!!

Naija Texan
11-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Honestly, to me this move makes the Texans coaches look worst then Reed.

His comment wasn't exactly a grievous insult and most real fans knew he was right, even if they didn't like him being the one to say it. The fact that they cut him a day or two after saying something slightly inflammatory, seems like either they couldn't take criticism (despite it being warranted with how this team has collapsed) or they are trying to appear tough with a move that seems bold on paper but is really just flaccid.

Meanwhile Brice McCain is likely to start for us if either Jonathan Joseph or Kareem Jackson get hurt... February can't come soon enough.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 08:58 PM
I wanted DJ Swearinger in the draft before we ever let Quin go. I was against the Ed Reed signing from the start. I thought Quin was a good player that should have been retained, or at least have his departure planned for by drafting a safety the year before or something. Ed Reed was his replacement plan. IMO at the time, it didn't take a genius to figure out that was going to suck.

Like I mentioned. Good or bad. I figured he was brought in short term as an answer to Brady and manning. that was all, plus obviously Watts greatest season ever as a. 3-4 DE hid a lot of our defensive weaknesses that McNair, the coaches, and the fans didn't see what was coming this season

drs23
11-12-2013, 08:59 PM
They aren't leaders... they want to win but they don't hold any weight on the head coach or owner.

Surely Cush does. He's white. :kitten::kitten:

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Really??? REALLY?????

WOW Wow to the bolded!! That's pretty much one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen!

There were some other responses to cstyles posts that I wanted to quote but couldn't find them.....

*EDIT*

EFF ME!! Apparently I've been so absentee that I don't remember how to "bold" someone's quote!! FML!

Lol. I'm fairly certain both posters were bs'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Really??? REALLY?????

*EDIT*

It sounds crazy now but so did Schaub sucks 5 years ago... 5 years from now everyone will know. At the end of the season the people that are really the problem like Schaub, Kubiak, Special teams coach and Kicker will be cut with class not in middle of the season like Reed, Jefferson, Wood, Montgomery and Dobbins. Only thing that makes sense is to bring up how the salary cap would be affected by each guy. Maybe that's just how the cards fell. It would have been better to just get rid of everyone at the end of the season but it's Bob's club not mine.

TheIronDuke
11-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Lol. I'm fairly certain both posters were bs'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Nope, first poster actually believes that Reed was cut because he's black. Second was obviously pointing out that Rick Smith is black.

imatexan
11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Thank goodness, Reed sucked and has been a waste of time and money since he came to the Texans!

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Surely Cush does. He's white. :kitten::kitten:

Cush is a good guy but he got his money and he's hurt he has his health to think about. He's said things on the sideline in games that I like but he won't ever direct that to the coaching staff, media or owner. Only certain players do that I believe every team needs that one guy so in terms of that Reed did us a favor and in return we did him a favor. Now he can really do what he needs to do retire... with free money.

silvrhand
11-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Does this really deserve a 15 page thread? he's released it didn't work out time to move on.

Texanmike02
11-12-2013, 09:25 PM
It sounds crazy now but so did Schaub sucks 5 years ago... 5 years from now everyone will know. At the end of the season the people that are really the problem like Schaub, Kubiak, Special teams coach and Kicker will be cut with class not in middle of the season like Reed, Jefferson, Wood, Montgomery and Dobbins. Only thing that makes sense is to bring up how the salary cap would be affected by each guy. Maybe that's just how the cards fell. It would have been better to just get rid of everyone at the end of the season but it's Bob's club not mine.

Allow me to introduce you to my friend Dex.

Mike

chicagotexan2
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Does this really deserve a 15 page thread? he's released it didn't work out time to move on.

This thread has more pages than reed had tackles.

infantrycak
11-12-2013, 09:34 PM

Putting aside the racism allegation, there are cap reasons you are missing. Jefferson, Wood & Montgomery were not vested veterans so they were owed no further salary plus they were being cut for misconduct. Reed will still get his base money but not the $62.5k per game on top (almost $500k). There is no savings in cutting Schaub, Kubiak or Marciano on top of the fact there is no reason to make a mid-season coaching change.

Rey
11-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Antonio was on the radio a little while ago and said Ed was a huge leader for the db's. Said he stood up and said things others wouldn't so or didn't know how to say. Said the guys were always going to him talking about things.

Bulls on Parade
11-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Antonio was on the radio a little while ago and said Ed was a huge leader for the db's. Said he stood up and said things others wouldn't so or didn't know how to say. Said the guys were always going to him talking about things.
Ed Reed would make a good defensive backs coach.

DocBar
11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
This thread has more pages than reed had tackles.And these 15 pages only need to have one word: Good.

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 09:41 PM

Lol he was the Django of the Texans... Wade Phillips was the German friend.

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Putting aside the racism allegation, there are cap reasons you are missing. Jefferson, Wood & Montgomery were not vested veterans so they were owed no further salary plus they were being cut for misconduct. Reed will still get his base money but not the $62.5k per game on top (almost $500k). There is no savings in cutting Schaub, Kubiak or Marciano on top of the fact there is no reason to make a mid-season coaching change.

Allegedly misconduct... why hasn't that story came back up? Was it ever confirmed or not if it was weed or not? Dobbins was cut for what reason not being a good boy showing up to OTA's? Reed was cut for telling reporters the flat out truth. I wanted the team to hide behind the salary reason because it made sense to do so and it makes me feel better. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the only person that gets fired at the end of the year is the special teams coach. Then a lot of people on this board will be saying darn that cstyle42 dude is crazy but he was on to something. Watch Bob will feel sorry for Kubiak and understand. Schaub will be gone because he just has nothing to offer embarrassed himself and the city otherwise he would have got another chance.

Wolf
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Schaub mental make up is gone...Brad Lidge 2.0 now

infantrycak
11-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. Lots of people won't be surprised if Kubiak and Smith are back even those who desperately want them gone. Of course you leave Smith out for your racism play.

Kaiser Toro
11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
A miscreant trolls
a forest of digital
papyrus for poo

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. Lots of people won't be surprised if Kubiak and Smith are back even those who desperately want them gone. Of course you leave Smith out for your racism play.

I put Smith and Andre Johnson in the same boat guys that are very important to the team and have big titles but are basically just doing what they are told versus saying or doing what they really want to do in their own minds that is best for the team. Lots don't believe that I just know that this is the kind of program the texans run. I respect Smith, Andre, Watt, Cushing, Foster... heck even Ed Reed but to ultimately win the super bowl or at least get there we have to get rid of this program for good. Start doing championship things...

DocBar
11-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Lol he was the Django of the Texans... Wade Phillips was the German friend.Where was all this hate when Stevens was cut? You race baiters are awful silent when a white biy gets cut or demoted. Or were you silent because Stevens sucked azz at his position?
Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0j2dVuhr6s

I guess nobody in the FO could speak Ed Reed''s jive. Must be a white wing conspiracy to have him removed (obviously Rick Smith is an Uncle Tom). Holdin' a brother down!!!! Couldn't have a damn thing to do with stinking it up on the field and being a waste of a roster spot.

DocBar
11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
I put Smith and Andre Johnson in the same boat guys that are very important to the team and have big titles but are basically just doing what they are told versus saying or doing what they really want to do in their own minds that is best for the team. Lots don't believe that I just know that this is the kind of program the texans run. I respect Andre, Watt, Cushing, Foster... heck even Ed Reed but to ultimately win the super bowl or at least get their we have to get rid of this program for good. Start doing championship things...
I wish you would use grammar and punctuation. It makes reading responses much more clear and easier to read.

maddogmrb
11-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Reed was brought in to provide leadership to the secondary leading up to and in the playoffs. Since the playoffs are no longer a possibility he is no longer needed.

DocBar
11-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Reed was brought in to provide leadership to the secondary leading up to and in the playoffs. Since the playoffs are no longer a possibility he is no longer needed.And he obviously provided precious little leadership.

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/400315399859740672

Where is the accountability?

I wish you would use grammar and punctuation. It makes reading responses much more clear and easier to read.

I type on here as if I'm texting. I'm actually on my cell phone. I hope I'm wrong. It would be cool to see the texans win but Houston is one of four cities to have never had a nfl football team in the super bowl. It's sad but in my opinion I'm telling you why. Not necessarily racism it's moreso the way they do business within the organization. To me it's just not right or even championship minded.

cstyle42
11-12-2013, 10:23 PM
And he obviously provided precious little leadership.

He tried but Ray Lewis always led that ravens team Reed was just a voice that was respected. You probably know that I'm sure. Texans brought him in and he ended up being the voice... Texans ended up not respecting it because the truth either comforts or offends. I'm comforted by his words. Been waiting to here someone say this for years but I didn't want it to be Ed Reed.

DocBar
11-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I type on here as if I'm texting. I'm actually on my cell phone. I hope I'm wrong. It would be cool to see the texans win but Houston is one of four cities to have never had a nfl football team in the super bowl. It's sad but in my opinion I'm telling you why. Not necessarily racism it's moreso the way they do business within the organization. To me it's just not right or even championship minded.But you only emphasize the racial aspects of events.

If you honestly think that rich white guys care about the race of the guys actually winning them championships, you'd STFU!. All these rich white guys care about is winning. They'll gladly pay for the best athletes they can get, regardless of skin color. The NFL has to be around 85% black. Some white linemen and a scattering of whites at other positions.

Black culture is more more prevalent than any other in pro sports in the USA.

If there are problems in pro sports, maybe you should take a look at black culture.

steelbtexan
11-12-2013, 10:37 PM
This forum has imploded even more spectacularly than the Texans' season, and that's saying something.

How eaxactly has the forum imploded.

Could it be that loyal fans are finally calling out the Texans after 8 yrs of ineptitude? Really going on 12 yrs of ineptitude. It seems as though BoB/Rick/Gary have really slow learning curves. Most have all been sniffing the fumes on the short bus.

steelbtexan
11-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Really? They didn't cut anyone contributing to the team, at all... I don't see any zero tolerance philosophy from that...

As a Cowboy fan in the Jimmy Johnson era- Jimmy gave a lot of rope to quality players (which has been well documented). However, when a mediocre player or non-essential player screwed up, he dumped him immediately.

The Texans clearly have a different talent acquisition policy than that Cowboy team did (prioritizing character more highly). However, I don't see any sign that they are less tolerant or more reactionary to players on the team. Maybe his comments were an excuse to cut dead weight... But, dead weight is dead weight. They tolerated Dunta Robinson until he was utterly worthless. They have handled Antonio Smith throughout the five years of his contract. Pollard was vocal as well and the Texans didn't cut him during a season and only let him go after his atrocious on field performance throughout 2010.

You're right about the Jimmy era. He put up with players drug/alcohol/prostitue fun loving ways. As long as the team performed on Sunday's. With Jimmy winning always came 1st. Jimmy told his 1st wife that he was all football 24/7 and if she couldn't handle that then she needed to leave. That's what I call comittment to winning. Could you see Rick/Gary making that kind of comittment? Guess what Belichick/Payton/Harbaughs etc... have that 24/7 kind of comittment.

As far as cutting Reed, tell that to Jameel Cook/ Winston/the 3 rookies rookies that got cut/anybody that dared to speak out against Marciano etc....

Reed came from a winning org, he knows what it takes to win at the highest level. A level Texan fans can only dream about the team achieving. Tell me what was untrue about what Reed said.

Meanwhile, Coach Joe and Fat Randy despite doing more to ruin the Texans season than Reed ever could have, still are employed by the Texans.

Reed was just telling the fans what they should already kow, I've played for winning orgs/coaches and the Texans org/coaches are losers.

steelbtexan
11-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Wow Texans are building a case when it comes to how fast they can release black players versus white players just sayin...

How have you been doing Dex?

Texian
11-13-2013, 12:08 AM
And he obviously provided precious little leadership.

I don't know he seems to have developed some mental toughness for Smubiak. They've now started cutting players in the middle of the season.

DexmanC
11-13-2013, 12:21 AM
How have you been doing Dex?

I save what I have to say on such topics for the No Spin Zone. I've been good, by the way.

steelbtexan
11-13-2013, 12:27 AM
I save what I have to say on such topics for the No Spin Zone. I've been good, by the way.

I was just pulling his chain.

Good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Are you going to update your sig?

kiwitexansfan
11-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Randy Bullock has arguably played better than Ed Reed did.

At least he kicks off well, Reed does nothing well..... Except complain.

GuerillaBlack
11-13-2013, 01:22 AM
I think there is more to it as well. If JJ Watt said we were outplayed and outcoached he would still be a Texan the next day. They cut Reed for performance IMO.

Then they should cut a lot of other people based on performance. reed was cut because he spoke the truth. The Texans are sorry.

houstonhurricane
11-13-2013, 06:53 AM
What an absolute joke this franchise has become. This was a bad signing from the start and now you cut the guy in the middle of a doomed season - causing even more distractions and building more drama. Instead of talking about the Raiders today, every player is going to be bombarded with questions about Reed...not what we needed right now.

Sigma
11-13-2013, 07:30 AM
What an absolute joke this franchise has become. This was a bad signing from the start and now you cut the guy in the middle of a doomed season - causing even more distractions and building more drama. Instead of talking about the Raiders today, every player is going to be bombarded with questions about Reed...not what we needed right now.

I will never understand all this cap mess, does releasing him now allow us to lose less money rather than releasing him in the offseason?

Sigma
11-13-2013, 07:33 AM
At least he kicks off well, Reed does nothing well..... Except complain.

you can say Ed Reed got a pretty good kick-off right there :)

ChampionTexan
11-13-2013, 07:52 AM
I will never understand all this cap mess, does releasing him now allow us to lose less money rather than releasing him in the offseason?

He reportedly had a $62,500 bonus for each game he was on the 46 man active roster ($1,000,000 for a 16 game season), so yes, assuming he would have been healthy and on the active roster the remainder of the season, they save $437,500 in cap money by releasing him.

DexmanC
11-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I was just pulling his chain.

Good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Are you going to update your sig?

Seems like I was quite the prognosticator by NOT changing it. The good seasons seem to me more of the anomaly with this regime, rather than treading mediocrity and seeking to have continual "always next year"-type seasons.

Trail.Blazr
11-13-2013, 08:12 AM
You're right about the Jimmy era. He put up with players drug/alcohol/prostitue fun loving ways. As long as the team performed on Sunday's. With Jimmy winning always came 1st. Jimmy told his 1st wife that he was all football 24/7 and if she couldn't handle that then she needed to leave. That's what I call comittment to winning. Could you see Rick/Gary making that kind of comittment? Guess what Belichick/Payton/Harbaughs etc... have that 24/7 kind of comittment.

As far as cutting Reed, tell that to Jameel Cook/ Winston/the 3 rookies rookies that got cut/anybody that dared to speak out against Marciano etc....

Reed came from a winning org, he knew what it took to win at the highest level. A level Texan fans can only dream about the team achieving. Tell me what was untrue about what Reed said.

Meanwhile, Coach Joe and Fat Randy despite doing more to ruin the Texans season than Reed ever could have, still are employed by the Texans.

Reed was just telling the fans what they should already kow, I've played for winning orgs/coaches and the Texans org/coaches are losers.

FIFY

Ed may have had knowledge of what it took, but how did that translate to his contribution to the Texans? Is no-showing for pre-season demonstrating what it takes? Is no-showing for actual game play demonstrating what it takes?

Well before this past week, I've been wishing they would CUT Ed Reed, only as it would be a slap in the face of the man who "took" the money and ran.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2224701&postcount=57

If we step back and wonder why.... Why would the Texans hire a player who cannot contribute on the field? I gotta believe they expected a return greater than that man running his mouth. After a pre-season and 10 regular season weeks, I'm guessing the Texans realized Ed wasn't living up to his end of the deal, and got tired of his talk.

Ed certainly didn't live up to my expectations as a fan. Apparently he also didn't live up to the expectations of The Man. (who ever that may be)

Good bye Ed! What's that saying about where the good lord split ya?? n'mind... just get!

Rey
11-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Just heard a clip from OD and he backed up what Ed Reed said and defended Ed Reed.

My guess is that the players are becoming increasingly unhappy with the coaching.

First Antonio, not OD coming out and supporting Ed Reed and basically defending what he said. The team is a mess. One more loss and I bet we'll see more players speaking out.

Thorn
11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Dexman, whatever you decide to do with your sig, never take out the "R.I.P Excuses" part of it. That's just classic good stuff.

Rey
11-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Well some good might come from this. Just heard we re-signed starling...I liked the little I saw from him in pre season and wanted us to keep him.

Good move texans.

DBCooper
11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Good.

The dude sucked balls this season.

Now lets get rid of the coaches.

IlliniJen
11-13-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm listening to "I Will Remember You" and clutching a picture of Ed Reed as tears stream down my face.

kingtexan
11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Mark my words, Reed will sign with another team and be the same Reed he has always been. I can see him getting a pick his first game back. It will be another Holiday, Jones, Demps situation ...

cuppacoffee
11-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Damn.

We are beginning to sound like the boys.

Clueless owner, clueless coaches, problem players, but they do have more wins than us.

What happened?

:kubepalm:

:wadepalm:

:coffee::smiliepalm:

Double Barrel
11-13-2013, 11:43 AM

nah, this is nothing. The forum survived 2-14, the Carr Wars, the invasion of the VY Sausage Liberation Army, the pink soapers, and a hostile takeover by corporate overlords and subsequent merging with Texans Talk, among other smaller scale skirmishes (including three presidential elections in the NSZ).

It's all good in the TT neighborhood! :tiphat:

Vinny
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
nah, this is nothing. The forum survived 2-14, the Carr Wars, the invasion of the VY Sausage Liberation Army, the pink soapers, and a hostile takeover by corporate overlords and subsequent merging with Texans Talk, among other smaller scale skirmishes (including three presidential elections in the NSZ).

yeah, we had massive meltdowns in the past...this was nothing.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Pink Soapers are ALWAYS waiting in the wings.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE PINK SOAP!

Rey
11-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Listening to Antonio it doesn't sound like he was released due to this one statement.

Sounds like Ed was trying to get things to change behind the scenes for a while but no coaches would listen.

You bring in a guy with a lot of know how and a strong personality, and get your panties in a twist when he starts speaking up.

This organization should feel shame.

Double Barrel
11-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Listening to Antonio it doesn't sound like he was released due to this one statement.

Sounds like Ed was trying to get things to change behind the scenes for a while but no coaches would listen.

You bring in a guy with a lot of know how and a strong personality, and get your panties in a twist when he starts speaking up.

This organization should feel shame.

I think John McClain nailed it on NFLN last night.

If Reed had been playing great, he could get away with saying whatever he wants to say.

But playing bad combined with speaking out is what got him fired.

And when you take into account the money aspect, it's just business.

Also, fwiw, McClain said the Texans had no idea about the hip surgery when hey signed him. The relationship soured after this point, and not being a Wade Phillips favorite (much less a bad fit for his defensive scheme), McClain thinks they saw the potential for Reed to sour things within the locker room.

The whole situation is just reeks of inept and really just part of a crappy season all the way around.

WolverineFan
11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I think John McClain nailed it on NFLN last night.

If Reed had been playing great, he could get away with saying whatever he wants to say.

But playing bad combined with speaking out is what got him fired.

And when you take into account the money aspect, it's just business.

Also, fwiw, McClain said the Texans had no idea about the hip surgery when hey signed him. The relationship soured after this point, and not being a Wade Phillips favorite (much less a bad fit for his defensive scheme), McClain thinks they saw the potential for Reed to sour things within the locker room.

The whole situation is just reeks of inept and really just part of a crappy season all the way around.

Yep, I said it when we signed him that it was a mistake. Like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, signing a 35-year old deep zone centerfielder to play FS in man-to-man scheme was doom from the start. Quin was a perfect fit for the system (and a good player) and we let him walk.

This whole season has reeked of FO and coaching ineptitude.

Mr. White
11-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Don't forget the night before the 2006 draft when they signed Mario Williams. :fireball:

Double Barrel
11-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Don't forget the night before the 2006 draft when they signed Mario Williams. :fireball:

yep. That night is still the forum record (seen at the bottom of the forum home page):

Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM.

I was one of them! :D

Vinny
11-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Ineptitude is right. How does Rick Smith not know Reed is considering surgery? Didn't they ask him if he was considering going under the knife in the off-season? They didn't watch his film and suspect some kind of issue?

djohn2oo8
11-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Owen Daniels supports Reed

Wolf
11-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Ineptitude is right. How does Rick Smith not know Reed is considering surgery? Didn't they ask him if he was considering going under the knife in the off-season? They didn't watch his film and suspect some kind of issue?

Same nfl doctors were used to look at Boselli's shoulder?

Heath Shuler
11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Reed cleared waivers.

HOU-TEX
11-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Reed cleared waivers.

Yep, he cleared. Now we're on the hook for the remainder of the 6 million he was guaranteed.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 4m
Ed Reed unclaimed on waivers. So the Texans swallow the full boat, all $6 million they guaranteed him back in March.

Heath Shuler
11-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 14m

Ed Reed's $1 million base salary guaranteed, Texans remain on hook for $411,000. They save $62,500 bonus per games active

kingtexan
11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Now he will sign with New England, or Denver or KC and win another SuperBowl.

Marcus
11-13-2013, 04:54 PM

:spit:

MSR I tell ya... The fact that I actually managed to survive that one without a permanent ban, amazes me to this day.

Vance87
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Now he will sign with New England, or Denver or KC and win another SuperBowl.

And Keenum will look like the answer this year and the day after the Super Bowl he falls down the stairs trying to eat cereal and walk at the same time and blows out his throwing shoulder, ending his career.

And the saga of the 2013 Houston Texans will be complete.

Double Barrel
11-13-2013, 04:58 PM

McNair rarely gets in front of player signings. But he was right in front of this one, even going to far as to verbally bitchslap the leaders of the team with his remarks about teaching "mental toughness" against teams like the Patriots and in the playoffs. I've always wondered how that went over with the leaders of the team.

And while I don't want to read too much into it, Ed Reed's words at his initial press conference were interesting.

"First, I would like to thank Rick for the call and Mr. Bob (McNair) for reaching out and telling Rick to reach out to me and the organization for laying out the red carpet on the visit"
~ Ed Reed, press conference (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Ed-Reed-signing-press-conference/e2f3666e-cb89-4509-bb08-66d87ef0303c), Mar 22, 2013

This right after McNair flew his private jet to pick Reed up. How often does that happen?

What was the thought process behind this decision? Were they so enamored with his name that they were willing to take big chances? Even over the reservations of their defensive coordinator?

Honestly kind of reminds me of the Oilers signing Wilber Marshall when Buddy Ryan became DC in '93. Big name on the Bears and that historic defense, but not a lot of tread left on those tires. (Different details than the Reed signing, but same overall vibe of being enamored by the name.)

Wolf
11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Guy asked me today if he signed with cowboys.I guess new rumor of the moment

infantrycak
11-13-2013, 05:12 PM
What was the thought process behind this decision? Were they so enamored with his name that they were willing to take big chances? Even over the reservations of their defensive coordinator?

Honestly kind of reminds me of the Oilers signing Wilber Marshall when Buddy Ryan became DC in '93. Big name on the Bears and that historic defense, but not a lot of tread left on those tires. (Different details than the Reed signing, but same overall vibe of being enamored by the name.)

The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't. Kansas traded for Willie Roaf after he failed an NFL physical at 32 yrs old and he went on to 4 pro bowl/1 all pro season. The Patriots have filled out their roster with lots of guys past their high dollar days. This one was a total bust but at least they took a chance on something. Actually all of them have been busts - Moulds, Green & Reed.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 05:13 PM
McNair rarely gets in front of player signings. But he was right in front of this one, even going to far as to verbally bitchslap the leaders of the team with his remarks about teaching "mental toughness" against teams like the Patriots and in the playoffs. I've always wondered how that went over with the leaders of the team.

And while I don't want to read too much into it, Ed Reed's words at his initial press conference were interesting.

"First, I would like to thank Rick for the call and Mr. Bob (McNair) for reaching out and telling Rick to reach out to me and the organization for laying out the red carpet on the visit"
~ Ed Reed, press conference (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Ed-Reed-signing-press-conference/e2f3666e-cb89-4509-bb08-66d87ef0303c), Mar 22, 2013

This right after McNair flew his private jet to pick Reed up. How often does that happen?

Absolutely the same. Feels just like it but compared to Ed's beat up ass Marshall still had a couple of Pro Bowl seasons left in him. At least Wilbur still had tires.

But yeah, same thing. Scary. Bob ain't Bud but he's got more similarities than many of us would like to admit. I guess it's just an NFL owner kind of thing.

Double Barrel
11-13-2013, 05:17 PM
The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't. Kansas traded for Willie Roaf after he failed an NFL physical at 32 yrs old and he went on to 4 pro bowl/1 all pro season. The Patriots have filled out their roster with lots of guys past their high dollar days. This one was a total bust but at least they took a chance on something.

I was optimistic when they signed him. Mainly just by choice because I wanted to hope this season was going to be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be.

I think some teams - or should I say coaching staffs - have a pretty good track record for signing aging vets. Most that are successful at it seem to be good talent evaluators, and most of the time they never overpay.

Unfortunately, the Texans track record seems to be the opposite. The Texans have done pretty good with drafting players, but spotty on the free agent market, especially when it comes to older veterans.

In hindsight, it looks kind of desperate. And not sure how reliable McClain is considering his history with the team, but his admission that Wade was never big on Reed for his system is intriguing.

Marcus
11-13-2013, 05:43 PM
The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't.

It really is that simple. You don't find out if works or not until you have the benefit of hindsight. That's why it's a wonderful thing.

"I know I'm held to higher standards because of what I've done in the past, but that was the past," he said. "I'm a totally different player now!"

Per the Chronicle, that is what he revealed in his post-game interview.

Really Ed? I'm sure you made that known before you signed that contract, right? And you wonder why you got cut.

The guy couldn't perform and ran his mouth. It is really that simple. But I get it. For the purpose of conducting dialogue and carrying out conversation, it's necessary to take something simple and make it complicated. That's how it works.

TexansSeminole
11-13-2013, 06:36 PM
It really is that simple. You don't find out if works or not until you have the benefit of hindsight. That's why it's a wonderful thing.

"I know I'm held to higher standards because of what I've done in the past, but that was the past," he said. "I'm a totally different player now!"

Really Ed? I'm sure you made that known before you signed that contract, right? And you wonder why you got cut.

The guy couldn't perform and ran his mouth. It is really that simple. But I get it. For the purpose of conducting dialogue and carrying out conversation, it's necessary to take something simple and make it complicated. That's how it works.

I guess.

If you are an NFL player nursing an injury and a team does their due diligence on you and still wants to sign you, what are you going to say? "Hey, um, you know I am not sure if I am going to be coming back from this thing at 100%. I may be a **** player when all is said and done.....so let's talk figures."

Rey
11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
I was optimistic when they signed him. Mainly just by choice because I wanted to hope this season was going to be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be.

I think some teams - or should I say coaching staffs - have a pretty good track record for signing aging vets. Most that are successful at it seem to be good talent evaluators, and most of the time they never overpay.

Unfortunately, the Texans track record seems to be the opposite. The Texans have done pretty good with drafting players, but spotty on the free agent market, especially when it comes to older veterans.

In hindsight, it looks kind of desperate. And not sure how reliable McClain is considering his history with the team, but his admission that Wade was never big on Reed for his system is intriguing.

I hadn't heard that, but if true...that's very intriguing on multiple levels.

Who forced him on wade? (McNair?)

If wade didn't want him, did he really give him the best shot to succeed? Maybe they had been clashing and wade had simply tuned him out?

Lots of questions...and well....it's kind of sad that this season has turned into a soap opera. I feel like I'm watching the young and the restless or something. ****ed up twists at every turn.

Sigma
11-14-2013, 08:58 AM
And Keenum will look like the answer this year and the day after the Super Bowl he falls down the stairs trying to eat cereal and walk at the same time and blows out his throwing shoulder, ending his career.

And the saga of the 2013 Houston Texans will be complete.

nah, he'll wait for it untill after the draft, so we don't draft a rookie QB in the 1st round

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 11:30 AM
ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen.

If so, my perception that the franchise has been played like a fiddle twice this year by Reed appears to be true.

Kalu also echoed my sentiment in this thread. You hire a leader who is known to be vocal in the past, so do not be surprised if said leader is vocal in bad times, as well. That's what leaders are often about, brutal honesty. And that's never been the "Texans way".

Now just speculation, Kalu and Koch were talking to Keenan McCardell about the effects of this on the locker room during a losing season. They all agreed it puts a chill on players and lets them know that their opinions are neither invited nor valued by the front office and coaching staff.

Keenan McCardell also confirmed there is a "Texans way" and every player is advised about it when they join the franchise. McCardell played for Kubiak's Texans in off-season 2007, so he does have some experience to reflect on, fwiw. (btw, he's not bitter and likes Kubiak, so it was more analysis than criticism. For instance, New England also has the "Patriots way", like many other teams.)

htowntexans1985
11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Chris Mortensen @mortreport

Ed Reed and Jets on verge of agreement,
per league sources.

The old fart gets another chance against his old team next Sunday.

False Start
11-14-2013, 11:37 AM
The old fart gets another chance against his old team next Sunday.

I wonder if he will get all emotional again? :cry2:

Rey
11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Signs with the jets. LoL.

We are what people thought the jets were.

Vinny
11-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Thin skin not an issue for Buddy Ryan's boy.

Hervoyel
11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
I wonder if he will get all emotional again? :cry2:

How many more home games do the Ravens have left after they play the Jets? Reed could continue to hop rosters and keep going back and getting attention a few more times if he plays his cards right.

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Thin skin not an issue for Buddy Ryan's boy.

It is an interesting contrast, because you know the same words spoken by Reed in the Jets locker room would get a chuckle from Ryan at a press conference and he'd probably agree and move on. Ryan has a teflon coating about these things. Obviously you have to with the New York media scrutiny.

Very unlike the stern bitter beer face of Kubiak and the sort of quasi-denial of "we just wanted Reed to get a chance somewhere else because we respect him so much".

That said, I don't want Kubiak or Ryan as head coach of the Texans.

Playoffs
11-14-2013, 11:51 AM
ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen...

That makes more sense to me, and changes my opinion.

Perhaps Reed will improve playing more snaps, but he leaves the Texans rated 72nd/82 Safeties (>25% team snaps, PFF (http://www.profootballfocus.com/)) with a league worst opposing QB rating of 158.3 when targeted.

steelbtexan
11-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Absolutely the same. Feels just like it but compared to Ed's beat up ass Marshall still had a couple of Pro Bowl seasons left in him. At least Wilbur still had tires.

But yeah, same thing. Scary. Bob ain't Bud but he's got more similarities than many of us would like to admit. I guess it's just an NFL owner kind of thing.

Yep

And BoB considered Bud a friend and mentor. You have to wonder about a person who would befriend Bud.

steelbtexan
11-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Bottom line for me is Rick/Texans medical staff got played by Reed. This is not the 1st time this has happened under this regime. But it should be the last. You swing and miss too many times and you get fired. Atleast that's how it works in the real world. Not that the Texans have ever lived in the real world. Gig'em

HOU-TEX
11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
At least we don't have to worry about him possibly making us look foolish again

Vinny
11-14-2013, 12:06 PM
ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen.

If so, my perception that the franchise has been played like a fiddle twice this year by Reed appears to be true.

Kalu also echoed my sentiment in this thread. You hire a leader who is known to be vocal in the past, so do not be surprised if said leader is vocal in bad times, as well. That's what leaders are often about, brutal honesty. And that's never been the "Texans way".

Now just speculation, Kalu and Koch were talking to Keenan McCardell about the effects of this on the locker room during a losing season. They all agreed it puts a chill on players and lets them know that their opinions are neither invited nor valued by the front office and coaching staff.

Keenan McCardell also confirmed there is a "Texans way" and every player is advised about it when they join the franchise. McCardell played for Kubiak's Texans in off-season 2007, so he does have some experience to reflect on, fwiw. (btw, he's not bitter and likes Kubiak, so it was more analysis than criticism. For instance, New England also has the "Patriots way", like many other teams.)
After the Dunta Robinson episode and simple observation of Rick Smith and his stealthy, reactionary leadership for many years, I think many of us can see this kind of corporate sanitation that may work well for accounting firms or administration of Cogeneration systems but it doesn't work for performance art. You gotta have talent to be in the talent business, and you have to let your talent have creative space. In the NFL you gotta have talented Players, Coaches and Administrators.

That said, there are two problems with our current situation. The first one is that Rick Smith isn't leading this organization because he is way too much of a figurehead. Too many people telling him what to do. Gary hired him and he is handcuffed by his deal with the devil to get this job. Rick took the job with understanding that Kubiak is going to have a ton of power. No job otherwise I'm sure. McNair tells Smith to court Reed, even pulls out the corporate jet. Rick Smith doesn't own his nuts. One is in Kubiak's hands and the other is in the Owner's grip or at least micromanaged and sanitized into being a caricature of itself.

Problem two: Running with ND Kalu's insight and Keenan McCardell's confirmation the Texans have a league wide reputation/perception problem and not just a locker room problem. You can get players to play ball without micromanaging everything. A relaxed atmosphere is hard to obtain when you have too many handlers. The Texans need a top down organization that has thicker skin. You can go about this in many ways, but the current configuration isn't a winning formula unless you consider passive-aggressive, figure head GM's with no real power a good model for a NFL franchise.

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2013, 12:07 PM
ed reed is a jet!.just before their game with the Ravens..........

kingtexan
11-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Jets are 5-4 and could still make the playoffs.

Watch him make us look like idiots ...

CretorFrigg
11-14-2013, 01:10 PM

The Jets are paying him $400k from what I hear. He robbed us.

Dutchrudder
11-14-2013, 01:10 PM

I think he already did that...

cstyle42
11-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Can't wait!!!

TheIronDuke
11-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Is it wrong that I hope Ed Reed plays awesome thus making our FO and coaching staff look even worse than they already do?

JCTexan
11-14-2013, 01:33 PM

The Texans were an 0-7 team with Ed Reed playing. I don't really care what he does for the Jets.

Playoffs
11-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Jets are 5-4 and could still make the playoffs...

And that's why he's gone. He saw the S.S. Texans was a sinking ship and forced his way out to play some meaningful ball -- if he can play on that walker we gave him. At his age, can't blame him I guess.

dtran04
11-14-2013, 01:52 PM
He's going back to a system he knows and that will create turnovers. Wade's defense just doesn't create interceptions.

2012Champs
11-14-2013, 01:58 PM
He's going back to a system he knows and that will create turnovers. Wade's defense just doesn't create interceptions.

ints are hard to come by when your dbs never look for the ball

dtran04
11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
ints are hard to come by when your dbs never look for the ball

DBs are always man to man and in a trail technique. No opportunities to jump routes.

When was the last time a Texan DB or LB was able to jump a route or trick an opposing QB by lurking in a zone? It sure happens a bunch against the Texans.

infantrycak
11-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Is it wrong that I hope Ed Reed plays awesome thus making our FO and coaching staff look even worse than they already do?

Yes.

Interceptions:

2013 - Texans 29th, Packers 32nd
2012 - Texans 14th, Packers 8th
2011 - Texans 13th, Packers 1st

Systems stay the same and get very different results.

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
... Dennis Waszak Jr.Verified account ‏@DWAZ73

Rex: "This had nothing to do with sentiment. We believe it will be a great signing for us & he's going to help this football team" #Jets

amazing80
11-14-2013, 03:08 PM

this is my feelings as well

Scooter
11-14-2013, 03:12 PM

i hope we win out, the jets lose out and reed goes 0-14 this season. hiding medical issues, playing bad enough to get benched for shiloh keo, and infecting the locker room ... i'd like to see reed knocked down a peg.

Rey
11-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Travis Johnson just said on 610 that Ed and wade didn't get along. He said that Ed didn't feel he was being used correctly and that wade's defensive play calling was suspect/too basic. TJ said wade only calls around 3 defensive plays all game.

Which is plausible since we play so much man.

htowntexans1985
11-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI

Ed Reed laughs when asked why things
didn't work out w #Texans . Says, "a lot of
reasons. It just wasn't a good fit." #jets

P.O.S.

Honoring Earl 34
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Travis Johnson just said on 610 that Ed and wade didn't get along. He said that Ed didn't feel he was being used correctly and that wade's defensive play calling was suspect/too basic. TJ said wade only calls around 3 defensive plays all game.

That explains why we get creamed in the 2nd half of games . Of course Ed said that and got canned .

kingtexan
11-14-2013, 03:22 PM
P.O.S.

Yes, the organization does seem to be just that ...

HOU-TEX
11-14-2013, 03:26 PM

I can believe that.

Which QB did we play this season that said something similar? That our defense was easy to figure out and didn't do anything to confuse them

badboy
11-14-2013, 03:43 PM
The Jets are paying him $400k from what I hear. He robbed us.Is it robbery if we invite him into our house and give him the money?

Thorn
11-14-2013, 03:46 PM

I'm not certain our coaching staff can look worse.

GuerillaBlack
11-14-2013, 03:52 PM

I had the same thoughts. I hope Reed gets a pick six.

infantrycak
11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes, the organization does seem to be just that ...

I can believe that.

If Wade only makes 3 calls a game then there is 32 years of tape of him doing it. It shouldn't work for one year, one game or one half.

C'mon a little common sense - base, nickel and dime are 3 calls without any variation.

Which QB did we play this season that said something similar? That our defense was easy to figure out and didn't do anything to confuse them

I believe you are thinking of a defensive player (Seahawks CB with the pick 6 iirc) talking about the offense.

Rey
11-14-2013, 04:18 PM
If Wade only makes 3 calls a game then there is 32 years of tape of him doing it. It shouldn't work for one year, one game or one half.

C'mon a little common sense - base, nickel and dime are 3 calls without any variation.

The defense we are lined up in is considered a package. The play that you call can be called from any package.

For instance. Man to man, cover 3, cover two. That can be balled from just about every package.

Of course there are some variations, but I think the point is that wade doesn't really have any exotic looks which ought to be a staple of a 34. There is likely not much we do to actually fool offenses or make them think twice about.

And for all wades success, he has a consistent track record of a good turnaround followed by not so good seasons.

I would ask that you use some common sense as well. You have a guy coming from a very good defensive team over the years who has made a living off if making qb's think twice about throwing towards him. There are guys who have talked about how simple wades defense is.

Maybe it's not 3 plays. That wasn't what was said anyways, it was "around three plays". I think the point was obvious...wades defense is simple...Ed wanted to do more things...wade didn't budge.

Rey
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I hear a lot of people knocking madden, but honestly, more people should probably play it. You can actually learn some things from playing football games these days.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2013, 04:24 PM

I believe you are thinking of a defensive player (Seahawks CB with the pick 6 iirc) talking about the offense.

I think the "3 calls" had a hint of sarcasm. At least that's the way I read. His scheme is basic and easily beat if the pass rush doesn't get home.

Wade's stubborn and old school. Good coaches/teams figure him out, but he refuses to make significant adjustments. Patriots being a perfect example

Blake
11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Is it robbery if we invite him into our house and give him the money?

We didnt hand him money because we thought he looked homeless. We handed him money for a service.

infantrycak
11-14-2013, 04:34 PM
The defense we are lined up in is considered a package. The play that you call can be called from any package.

I knew someone would go there. We play multiple personnel packages within each as well and then all sorts of variations within on who is blitzing, who drops in coverage, cover schemes within each, etc. 3 plays or anything close is an absurd exaggeration no matter how you want to parse it out.

Also, showing exotic doesn't mean more complex than attempting to hide by showing the same thing and then running it differently. eg. Zone blitz is built on concealing the pass rush by bringing it from different positions from the same formation. Most games and in fact competitive endeavors I know of it is considered smart to hide your cards (hmmm, wonder why that is an expression?).

Steal Your Face
11-14-2013, 04:51 PM
I think the "3 calls" had a hint of sarcasm. At least that's the way I read. His scheme is basic and easily beat if the pass rush doesn't get home.

Wade's stubborn and old school. Good coaches/teams figure him out, but he refuses to make significant adjustments. Patriots being a perfect example

What scheme is not easy to beat if the pass rush is not effective?

Rey
11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
I knew someone would go there. We play multiple personnel packages within each as well and then all sorts of variations within on who is blitzing, who drops in coverage, cover schemes within each, etc. 3 plays or anything close is an absurd exaggeration no matter how you want to parse it out. .

What the hell are you talking about? What does that have to do with the plays called in?

All you are talking about is how responsibility changes depending on the personnel that is in. Which again you seem confused and think that has anything to do with the plays that are called other than wades choice of what he wNts to call with what personnel.

You are trying to use different packages as evidence that we are making a bunch of different calls and that is false evidence.

Double Barrel
11-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Damn. I like Wade and I'm not going to slam his defense.

But the above news - if true - speaks volumes about some foundational problems with the coaching staff and front office.

You have one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league. And now we are finding out that a player was basically forced on him. A player that he did not think fits his scheme. Wade will never come out and say it. He's a professional and team player.

But, it does make sense when it never looked like Reed belonged in this defense, both with limited range from his surgery and the way he was being implemented. Then read his words that go him into trouble. He was obviously not happy with being benched, but there was something else to it, like a dissatisfaction with both the coach and scheme.

Screw Reed and screw the Jets. I'm not going to root for either of them out of spite. I'm a Texans fan, regardless of the coaching staff, and I'm certainly not going to bandwagon some freakin' yankee team that I've never liked just to make some kind of statement. Screw that noise.

TejasTom
11-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I can believe that.

All of them.

Wolf
11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I thought it was rivers

However infantry might be correct about sherman and the offense

thunderkyss
11-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Quentin Demps is starting on one of the better defenses of the season.

I think it would be interesting if Reed is starting this week, or even next.

Lastly, how can someone be upset with a coaching staff allowing him to do whatever he wants to do? I can understand being upset that he was demoted, but that was totally in his power to control. All he had to do was make a play... instead, he continued to get hurdled.

Bearkat Texan
11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
I dont know if this has been posted...but I'll leave this right here...
http://youtu.be/8LD-pDhPcig

wolf123
11-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Anyone who thinks we only call 3 plays a game on defense is an idiot. :wadepalm:

bckey
11-14-2013, 05:49 PM

It is if he conceals something that he knows would keep us from giving him that money. I lost all respect I had for the guy. Give me a guy with integrity like Pat Tillman had. Unfortunately we have world full of people with Ed Reed's mentality. Anything is ok for the almighty dollar. Anyway McNair is rich. He can afford it.

YeaLikeRightNow
11-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Now the Jets can deal with him.

False Start
11-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Look familiar?

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/star-ledger/photo/2013/11/-e9fae34994bb3919.jpg

That sh!t eating grin. :slap:

Rey
11-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Look familiar?

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/star-ledger/photo/2013/11/-e9fae34994bb3919.jpg

That sh!t eating grin. :slap:

That interview was hard to watch.

Vance87
11-14-2013, 09:46 PM
He even decided to be presentable by cutting that stupid ass mop hair off.

CloakNNNdagger
11-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Damn. I like Wade and I'm not going to slam his defense.

But the above news - if true - speaks volumes about some foundational problems with the coaching staff and front office.

You have one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league. And now we are finding out that a player was basically forced on him. A player that he did not think fits his scheme. Wade will never come out and say it. He's a professional and team player.

But, it does make sense when it never looked like Reed belonged in this defense, both with limited range from his surgery and the way he was being implemented. Then read his words that go him into trouble. He was obviously not happy with being benched, but there was something else to it, like a dissatisfaction with both the coach and scheme.

Screw Reed and screw the Jets. I'm not going to root for either of them out of spite. I'm a Texans fan, regardless of the coaching staff, and I'm certainly not going to bandwagon some freakin' yankee team that I've never liked just to make some kind of statement. Screw that noise.

Couldn't have said it better myself. MSR.:bravo:

Marcus
11-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I hear a lot of people knocking madden, but honestly, more people should probably play it. You can actually learn some things from playing football games these days.

:crazy: Ok...well that goes down as the silliest post of the entire thread. Keep up the good work.

Texian
11-15-2013, 09:55 AM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1h

Wade Phillips said he wasn't involved in process of bringing in Ed Reed during the offseason. Wasn't involved in any discussions. #Texans

False Start
11-15-2013, 10:05 AM
He is wearing 22 (http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Ed-Reed/c9de2bfe-ff9e-4cff-88e1-cad1df6ecb68) for the Jets. At least he didn't pull an Asomugha and pitch a b!tch about his jersey number. :pissed: :crying:

Still, I despise him. :bat:

kingtexan
11-15-2013, 10:11 AM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1h

Wade Phillips said he wasn't involved in process of bringing in Ed Reed during the offseason. Wasn't involved in any discussions. #Texans

Just shows how horrible this organization is. Wade has forgotten more than Rick Smith will ever know about defensive football, and wasn't consulted. Idiots ...

Texian
11-15-2013, 10:13 AM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 10m

2 Clarify: Wade Phillips was asked about Quin, Reed, Woodson. Said he wasn't in on conversations. Assumes all things were considered. 1/2

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 9m

Obviously Phillips did meet with Ed Reed during Reed's visit. So he's included in a way. Just said he wasn't involved in discussions.

IMHO Rick Smith has always considered himself the DB Guru of the Texans and Ed Reed was Rick's baby.

djohn2oo8
11-15-2013, 10:16 AM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 10m

2 Clarify: Wade Phillips was asked about Quin, Reed, Woodson. Said he wasn't in on conversations. Assumes all things were considered. 1/2

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 9m

Obviously Phillips did meet with Ed Reed during Reed's visit. So he's included in a way. Just said he wasn't involved in discussions.

IMHO Rick Smith has always considered himself the DB Guru of the Texans and Ed Reed was Rick's baby.

Looks like its every man for himself. So much throwing each other undee the bus.

kingtexan
11-15-2013, 10:19 AM

DB guru? The way our secondary plays? Smith is a moron.

kingtexan
11-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Looks like its every man for himself. So much throwing each other undee the bus.

That's how it should be. Make people responsible for their actions.

Hervoyel
11-15-2013, 10:28 AM
That's how it should be. Make people responsible for their actions.

Yeah. I don't often agree with you but this is a friggin fact. Right now I want them all in a self-preservation "feeding frenzy" climbing over each other to get out of the burning building. I want them all dropping one another in the grease and spilling all the secrets.

I want to see Wade Phillips stand up in front of cameras and say "I don't even KNOW THESE *******S!" Like Ash from "Army of Darkness".

Rick Smith has made some good moves in his time. he's also made some dreadful moves and he shouldn't be allowed to weasel out of the consequences of that.

TexansBlood
11-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone who thinks we only call 3 plays a game on defense is an idiot. :wadepalm:

Anyone who thinks our defense is complicated and confusing is an idiot.

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 11:50 AM
:crazy: Ok...well that goes down as the silliest post of the entire thread. Keep up the good work.

All I Really Need To Know About Football learned by playing Madden 07 (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2006/08/all_i_really_need_to_know_about_football.html) <---linky

And then there's this, from Madden himself:

Madden on 'Madden'

Q: How have you seen the game evolve to where now high school players are actually learning offenses and defenses from your game?

John Madden: I think that's big, and it's not only for high school kids. I was with my 8-year-old grandson the other night while he was playing, and it's amazing how much they know now at such a young age. You don't have to wait until high school to get to know the plays and the rules now. Kids can call out rules quicker than someone inside the game can, and it's just amazing to me the knowledge of young players. And then for the high school kids, this is how they're learning how to play. That's why it's important for us to have the right way to play in the game.

Full Article (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6906723/madden-madden?readmore=fullstory)

Madden describes himself as "never a good player" of Madden NFL, and prefers to watch others play. Although retiring from broadcasting in 2009, he nonetheless continues to participate in each Madden's development:

He breaks down upcoming rules changes. He brings up concussions, helmet-to-helmet hits and gimmick quarterbacks. A digression on how the Dome Patrol-era Saints used to frustrate Bill Walsh's 49ers teams with short linebacker drops becomes a lecture on the obsolescence of the fullback, which then morphs into a short aside on player character.

Coaches and players have said that Madden has influenced their play, and football broadcasts on television use Madden-like visual cues to more closely resemble it. The NFL reportedly considers the series its "33rd franchise", because each week during the season EA Sports receives the same searchable film database of every play that each of the league's 32 teams do.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL)

:gamer:

Rey
11-15-2013, 11:59 AM
All I Really Need To Know About Football learned by playing Madden 07 (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2006/08/all_i_really_need_to_know_about_football.html) <---linky

And then there's this, from Madden himself:

Madden describes himself as "never a good player" of Madden NFL, and prefers to watch others play. Although retiring from broadcasting in 2009, he nonetheless continues to participate in each Madden's development:

He breaks down upcoming rules changes. He brings up concussions, helmet-to-helmet hits and gimmick quarterbacks. A digression on how the Dome Patrol-era Saints used to frustrate Bill Walsh's 49ers teams with short linebacker drops becomes a lecture on the obsolescence of the fullback, which then morphs into a short aside on player character.

Coaches and players have said that Madden has influenced their play, and football broadcasts on television use Madden-like visual cues to more closely resemble it. The NFL reportedly considers the series its "33rd franchise", because each week during the season EA Sports receives the same searchable film database of every play that each of the league's 32 teams do.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL)

:gamer:

LoL...would've never seen that had you not quoted it. I'm guessing that was in response to what I said earlier.

Madden and ncaa actually can teach people about some football things. Strategies, plays, player attributes, schemes, reading defenses, angles...ect..

Doesn't mean you can play madden and become an nfl coach, but you can learn quite a bit. It's actually become a damn good simulation.

Thanks for that article. Hadn't read that before.

HOU-TEX
11-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I haven't bought Madden since 09. I no longer have anyone to play with and I'm not good enough to play online. My son was the only one that really played me. He went to a Christian High School in 2010 and enlisted in the Marines shortly there after. *sniff sniff* Ha, jk

Loved playing the game though. I've heard the graphics and gameplay is completely different, so I'd really suck now

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 12:23 PM
LoL...would've never seen that had you not quoted it. I'm guessing that was in response to what I said earlier.

Madden and ncaa actually can teach people about some football things. Strategies, plays, player attributes, schemes, reading defenses, angles...ect..

Doesn't mean you can play madden and become an nfl coach, but you can learn quite a bit. It's actually become a damn good simulation.

Thanks for that article. Hadn't read that before.

NFL Network did a story on the Madden franchise in the off-season, and they said it has heavily influenced football because so many kids are learning play diagrams, receiver route trees, strategy, game management, and a host of other things about football. Advanced concepts that were often not taught in the past until players reached college, but now they know them in Pop Warner. They even interviewed some young NFL players who said so much of their understanding of the various aspects of football came from playing Madden.

I think folks that do not play Madden have no idea how much goes into the game. John Madden has always said that he wanted it to be a learning tool in addition to a fun game, and that attitude has been a common thread in the series for 25 years. He wouldn't even put his name on the game in the late '80's until technology allowed 11 man teams. He refused to endorse a watered down version of the game he loves.

People can poo-poo it all they want, but that attitude does not change reality.

Rey
11-15-2013, 12:46 PM
NFL Network did a story on the Madden franchise in the off-season, and they said it has heavily influenced football because so many kids are learning play diagrams, receiver route trees, strategy, game management, and a host of other things about football. Advanced concepts that were often not taught in the past until players reached college, but now they know them in Pop Warner. They even interviewed some young NFL players who said so much of their understanding of the various aspects of football came from playing Madden.

I think folks that do not play Madden have no idea how much goes into the game. John Madden has always said that he wanted it to be a learning tool in addition to a fun game, and that attitude has been a common thread in the series for 25 years. He wouldn't even put his name on the game in the late '80's until technology allowed 11 man teams. He refused to endorse a watered down version of the game he loves.

Wow...I did not know that. Sometimes I think I'm on an island thinking some things, so it's cool to know that there are actual facts/accounts to back up these "silly" ideas I have sometimes.

Very cool stuff DB. Would rep if I could.

Rey
11-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I haven't bought Madden since 09. I no longer have anyone to play with and I'm not good enough to play online. My son was the only one that really played me. He went to a Christian High School in 2010 and enlisted in the Marines shortly there after. *sniff sniff* Ha, jk

Loved playing the game though. I've heard the graphics and gameplay is completely different, so I'd really suck now

Honestly, I really don't even play online anymore. I'm mostly content with franchise mode and occasionally playing someone else head to head.

infantrycak
11-15-2013, 01:04 PM

Valid points on the play of the game.

I would say many of the belittling comments are in response to off-season/GM moves on trades and such.

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Honestly, I really don't even play online anymore. I'm mostly content with franchise mode and occasionally playing someone else head to head.

I stopped playing online many years ago. I do not have the quick reflexes required to compete with the young people, nor do I have the time to devote to absorbing playbooks like the average rabid online gamer.

I just have fun with the various modes of running a franchise. Even funnier is doing the EA game face thing with your own picture. I get a kick out of seeing myself on the sidelines or in games.

Valid points on the play of the game.

I would say many of the belittling comments are in response to off-season/GM moves on trades and such.

Yeah, I get and agree with the off-season/GM thing, because so many of the ideas are a bit whacky and unrealistic.

Madden has tried to replicate some of the front office stuff with salary cap management and more realistic trades, but still just a simulation of the real thing in that regard. If anything, it makes me sort of understand how complicated a GM's job can be, so I try not to act like I know what's up in a real FO in that regard.

drs23
11-15-2013, 05:22 PM
I've never played the game because I wasn't even good at Pong. :D I just don't have whatever it takes.

These remarks though sure are enlightening. I had no idea and have always poo pooed the Madden references. I had no idea regarding the complexity and intricacies of the game.

I don't recall any contrary remarks on my part concerning the game but if I have, my apologies. If I knew anyone with the console and the game I'd like to check it out now.

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Texans Chick just posted a great piece about this subject.

And in her article, she posted a link to the following story during last year's playoffs:

Ed Reed unimpressed with Joe Flacco’s performance in playoffs

More importantly, Flacco left one of the Ravens' most important players with a distinctly unimpressed feeling. Talking to SIRIUS NFL Radio on Monday, mega-safety Ed Reed said that Flacco underperformed against Houston's aggressive defense.

"They had a lot of guys in the box on him and they were giving [the pass] to him," Reed said. "I think a couple of times he needed to get rid of the ball. It just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense. I don't know how much of [that was] the play calling … but it just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense, you know, of times past … It was just kind of like they [were] telling him [what] to do -- throw the ball or get it here, you know, get it to certain guys."

-----------------------------------

"He can't play like [he did against the Texans]," Reed continued. "One specific play that sticks out to me was when Ray Rice came out and got pushed out of the backfield and [Flacco] still threw him the ball and he had Torrey Smith on the outside. I can see that sitting on the sideline or sitting in the stands. You don't know what someone else is seeing."

Full article (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ed-reed-not-impressed-joe-flacco-performance-against-030713501.html)

Reed has always been a very vocal leader, both in good times and bad.

handswarmer
11-18-2013, 12:54 PM

and look just as bad as he did playing for the Texans....

He was done about 2 years ago...

CloakNNNdagger
11-18-2013, 01:26 PM

You know, of course, we have always shared the same opinion.:barman:

In playing 70+ snaps, he managed to eek out some impressive stats........ 3 tackles, 2 of which were gang tackles.............:wadepalm:

Also interesting to note is that Before Ed Reed joined the Jets, he was courted by Tom Brady
(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24245221/before-ed-reed-joined-the-jets-he-was-courted-by-tom-brady).................almost another AJ-like acquisition............:kubepalm:

Houston wanted to evaluate younger talent, with the team in a seven-game tailspin, and Reed was not playing much. More to the point, he and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips never established a trust or relationship, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, with them having philosophical differences from the onset.

Things were “awkward” from their initial meeting when the Texans had Reed in for a free-agent visit this offseason, sources said, and Reed was mystified by the lack of sophistication in the team's defensive schemes, with a limited number of coverages, red zone, calls, etc. It was not nearly as elaborate as what he was accustomed to with the Ravens and Reed was torn as to how much angst to express to teammates and coaches, since he only just signed with the team a few months back and had not built up any currency there.

Reed could not justify some of the concepts and approaches the Texans take and he was making a very limited impact in their defense. With Ryan there is an immediate bond and Reed has a thorough knowledge of the defense. With Ryan he can act as a coach if need be, will be able to position others and can teach the young players. Ryan believes Reed can still dissuade quarterbacks from the throwing the deep ball, sources said, and believes he can scheme up opportunities for the ballhawk to get his hand on the football, while realizing Reed is not going to be heavily involved in the run game and has some limitations at this stage of his career, as well.

Double Barrel
11-18-2013, 02:06 PM

You nailed it in the off-season. You watched him for his entire career and knew last season was his last to be a productive player.

And in our intoxicated koolaide delusions, we thought you were just being bitter.

But, you were right on the money. And while listening to you would have have changed a damn thing with regards to the Texans signing Reed, at least we could have avoided any unrealistic expectations about the player.

Unless the last name is Brady or Manning, I am no longer going to cheer the Texans signing overpriced, used up, washed out past-their-prime players.

handswarmer
11-18-2013, 02:15 PM
You know, of course, we have always shared the same opinion.:barman:

In playing 70+ snaps, he managed to eek out some impressive stats........ 3 tackles, 2 of which were gang tackles.............:wadepalm:

I feel bad for Texans fans- not easy to feel like you got fleeced by someone who you thought would put your team over the top.

handswarmer
11-18-2013, 02:20 PM
You nailed it in the off-season. You watched him for his entire career and knew last season was his last to be a productive player.

And in our intoxicated koolaide delusions, we thought you were just being bitter.

But, you were right on the money. And while listening to you would have have changed a damn thing with regards to the Texans signing Reed, at least we could have avoided any unrealistic expectations about the player.

Unless the last name is Brady or Manning, I am no longer going to cheer the Texans signing overpriced, used up, washed out past-their-prime players.

I got pretty beat up by people here but then lost my composure and lowered my standards for which I paid the price.

But my assessment of Reed's play was based on unbiased observance of his play since 2002. I stopped rooting for the names on the back of jerseys back in the 80's- I root for the name on the front of the jersey so its easy for me to assess a player's performance.

Ed was done 2 years ago- he hurt his hip initially against the Texans in the playoff game in Baltimore in 2010. Never really recovered from that.

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Didn't the Jets say Reed was going to help prevent the long ball?

If so, I just :lol: watching the Bills/Jets highlights

Troy Chapman
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Hey at least Ed Reed kept his losing streak alive.

cuppacoffee
11-19-2013, 12:44 PM
If I was in Ed Reeds position I would have done the exact same thing.

Not his fault the Texans didn't perform their due diligence on him.

This whole fiasco is on the Texans.

Anyone in the Texans organization bother to check out the team doctors?

There has been a pattern of ineptitude.

handswarmer
11-19-2013, 03:27 PM
If I was in Ed Reeds position I would have done the exact same thing.

Not his fault the Texans didn't perform their due diligence on him.

This whole fiasco is on the Texans.

Anyone in the Texans organization bother to check out the team doctors?

There has been a pattern of ineptitude.

Oh you are correct that the Texans did not perform their due diligence but perhaps it was clouded by the star power of a SB winning, 1st ballot HoFer and his assurances that he would be ok.

handswarmer
11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth'

Exascor
11-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth'

Meh - it's the truth. Many if us thought he wasn't a good fit even if healthy.

HOU-TEX
11-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh Ed, lol. Sounds like he and Wade really didn't get along

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1m
Ed Reed on talking to Wade Phillips when he was cut: 'He came in and basically just made sure I was leaving.'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 8m
Ed Reed on Texans: "That defense was not a good fit for a lot of people that are still there."

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m
Looking back, Ed Reed even said he wished he had never worn his No. 20 jersey outside of Baltimore.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 21m
Ed reed on wade phillips 'in hindsight he's probably the reason I'm not there'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 23m
Ed reed on texans 'you got to look at the playcalling and put your players in position to make plays'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 26m
Ed reed said he didn't have problems with most of the texans org. including players and 'most of the coaches'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 28m
Ed reed 'I don't even know how to describe it it was some interesting stuff I experienced with a different organization'

djohn2oo8
11-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Good. This organization deserves embarrassment.

Hervoyel
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM

True. At the same time the old hobo isn't exactly making himself look good either. I see it as a win-win personally.

Sigma
11-20-2013, 05:18 PM

I feel like we've become the jets

TheMatrix31
11-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Why? You LIKE this sideshow bull****? I don't. All these distractions have turned us into a ****ing clown show. If I wanted that, I'd be an Eagles, Jets, Cowboys, or Raiders fan.

Exascor
11-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Why? You LIKE this sideshow bull****? I don't. All these distractions have turned us into a ****ing clown show. If I wanted that, I'd be an Eagles, Jets, Cowboys, or Raiders fan.

Nah - some people are in the "anger" stage of grieving. Wanting the club to suffer would fit that huh?

disaacks3
11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth' Unfortunately Ed isn't a good fit if you want coverage these days either. :kitten:

True. At the same time the old hobo isn't exactly making himself look good either. I see it as a win-win personally. Yep. The pedestal he was put on when coming here has had all four legs removed, sanded and been refinished as a birdbath.

TheMatrix31
11-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Nah - some people are in the "anger" stage of grieving. Wanting the club to suffer would fit that huh?

It's stupid, though. Can't shake reputations once they're built. I refuse to allow that **** to happen to the Texans.

cuppacoffee
11-20-2013, 06:04 PM
It's stupid, though. Can't shake reputations once they're built. I refuse to allow that **** to happen to the Texans.

If Reeds comments didn't shed light on the sorry state of affairs in Texans land then our franchise WR, marching off the field in the manner he did, certainly has.

We are slap stick comedy along side the Jets, Jaguars and Bucs...:clown:

speedfreek
11-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Grady is raging on the man..(aka Wade)

Must have been a strict limit imposed on the consumption of
ripple..

TJ

TheMatrix31
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
If Reeds comments didn't shed light on the sorry state of affairs in Texans land then our franchise WR, marching off the field in the manner he did, certainly has.

We are slap stick comedy along side the Jets, Jaguars and Bucs...:clown:

Not something to aspire to.

WolverineFan
11-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Say what you want about Reed's time here, but this dude is saying a lot of things that have been on my mind for some time.

He sucked here. There's no doubt about it. But he's right on about the organizational and coaching problems that we have here. The fact that he sucked doesn't change that.

DBCooper
11-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Say what you want about Reed's time here, but this dude is saying a lot of things that have been on my mind for some time.

He sucked here. There's no doubt about it. But he's right on about the organizational and coaching problems that we have here. The fact that he sucked doesn't change that.

And the fact that we have huge coaching and organization issues, doesn't change that he sucks!

djohn2oo8
11-20-2013, 07:58 PM
But he's glad Ryan threw him a lifeline. "Coming from the situation I came from to a coach that understands you and respects your game, respects the players as men, it's a good thing to be back around knowing the whole league is not that way,'' Reed said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/11/20/ed-reed-wade-phillips/3654663/

Steal Your Face
11-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Used to be a big Ed Reed fan ...

... but now, the guy is just embarrassing himself. He's lashing out in a very low-rent, cheesy way. Regardless of how bad a fit he was for "Wade's system", Reed played terrible - terrible for any system. He did not tackle, got beat in coverage, made 0 plays of any kind. He also failed to do anything with his influence - other than to divide, disrupt and create drama. Even after this latest rant, it is still difficult to tell what specific issues he has with "Wade's system" or the Texans -- other than Wade did not kiss his a55. The bottom line, after it is all said and done is that Ed Reed sucked as a safety. Now, he's trying to save his reputation from the reality that he stole $5,000,000.00+ from the Texans organization.

Rey
11-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Really **** Ed Reed. **** him.

That said, what Reed is saying isn't the embarrassing part. It's the fact that we rolled out the red carpet...made a spectacle of it all...put the man in the owners jet.

But really, there is probably some truth in what he's saying.

I'm pretty sure McNair was embarrassed sitting up in the suite with two former presidents and all his people and seeing his stadium turn into a clown show filled with boos and disgust. Having players walk off the field.

I know McNair had to do a woo sah to calm down.

Steal Your Face
11-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Really **** Ed Reed. **** him.

That said, what Reed is saying isn't the embarrassing part. It's the fact that we rolled out the red carpet...made a spectacle of it all...put the man in the owners jet.

But really, there is probably some truth in what he's saying.

I'm pretty sure McNair was embarrassed sitting up in the suite with two former presidents and all his people and seeing his stadium turn into a clown show filled with boos and disgust. Having players walk off the field.

I know McNair had to do a woo sah to calm down.

Absolutely ... the most embarrassing thing about the Ed Reed mess is how the Texan's brass rolled out the red carpet and treated him like football royalty - with the owner's jet ... etc.

I am also sure there is some truth somewhere in his vague criticisms of Wade and the Texans in general.

But ... shame on Ed Reed for the way he has handled everything in this ridiculous saga -- from the time he was recruited, to his failure to disclose his hip condition ... to going and having surgery on his own ... to the way he played ... to the way he left. Shame on the Texans and shame on Ed Reed.

infantrycak
11-20-2013, 09:20 PM

Other than generic slamming, what exactly was he "right on" about? There hasn't been anything reported specific enough to judge.

Brisco_County
11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
All things considered, is there any wonder why Phillips showed up in person to confirm Reed's departure? Why is it so hard for Reed to acknowledge that he didn't deliver his end of the deal?

WolverineFan
11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Other than generic slamming, what exactly was he "right on" about? There hasn't been anything reported specific enough to judge.

In his initial rant after the Arizona game he talked about how the staff wouldn't listen to him on the sideline. Remember the "I know football" and "I may be old, but not stupid" portion of that rant?

He explicitly stated how he would go to the coaches during the game with stuff that he saw and they would just ignore him. That kind of jives with what we see with our defense. We routinely get exploited late in the game because we don't make adjustments. Then you have a future HOF Safety on the sideline telling you what he sees out there and you just ignore him. Then you send him and Brice McCain right back out there to cover guys man-to-man that they have no chance of covering.

NastyNate
11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
In his initial rant after the Arizona game he talked about how the staff wouldn't listen to him on the sideline. Remember the "I know football" and "I may be old, but not stupid" portion of that rant?

He explicitly stated how he would go to the coaches during the game with stuff that he saw and they would just ignore him. That kind of jives with what we see with our defense. We routinely get exploited late in the game because we don't make adjustments. Then you have a future HOF Safety on the sideline telling you what he sees out there and you just ignore him. Then you send him and Brice McCain right back out there to cover guys man-to-man that they have no chance of covering.

Ding ding ding...

infantrycak
11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
In his initial rant after the Arizona game he talked about how the staff wouldn't listen to him on the sideline. Remember the "I know football" and "I may be old, but not stupid" portion of that rant?...

In other words nothing. Look, I am not saying he didn't have a legitimate beef with the Texans. But we don't know enough to judge who was right. For all we know he was saying to leave him in centerfield and have DJ drop into the box more often.

Ding ding ding...

Join in with some actual details bell ringer.

WolverineFan
11-20-2013, 10:51 PM
In other words nothing. Look, I am not saying he didn't have a legitimate beef with the Texans. But we don't know enough to judge who was right. For all we know he was saying to leave him in centerfield and have DJ drop into the box more often.

Maybe. But a guy with his pedigree........I think he was saying more than that.

If we as fans can see a few things from the stands or on TV, then I assume a future HOF'er that's been in the league for 15 years can see it too.

Playoffs
11-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Good. Let's here it, Ed...

If there's an organizational problem Ed needs to puke it out to the world.

His mouth can't hurt the Texans. Might help.

thunderkyss
11-20-2013, 11:56 PM

I've got mixed feelings. I'd like to know what's really going on, as I suspect play-calling is an issue. It doesn't make sense for Jjo to be playing worse than he ever played for Cincinnati, or Kj to appear to take steps back, or for McCain to be starting over Brandon Harris.

I've been feeling that Wade is calling his defense out of sync on purpose. Our guys are expecting one thing & they're constantly seeing something totally different, which is causing them to be out of position & beat.

I was hoping after the Arizona game he wouldn't want to be a head coach anymore. He sounded so broken in the press conferences & doing the Gary Kubiak show.

bckey
11-21-2013, 06:36 AM

The Texans are way down on my priority list of things to worry about. Everything will turn around eventually in time. Probably won't be this year though. The whole organization needs a good house cleaning.

YeaLikeRightNow
11-21-2013, 07:38 AM

Sadly, IT's already happened....

Trail.Blazr
11-21-2013, 08:10 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ed-reed-says-wade-phillips-122700430--nfl.html

Ed speaks
"That defense is not a good fit for a lot of people who is still down there, so it wasn't just about me," Reed said. "People might feel a certain way, like, 'Ed did this and Ed didn't do things on the football field.' But you've got to look at the playcaller. People don't know how the schematic part of it goes. You have to put your players in position to make plays as well, from a coaching perspective."

Spoken like a true champion. Ed did a lot of talking....

handswarmer
11-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Reed is hoping to be the last piece Houston needs.

"I've watched these guys so many times," Reed said. "I've played against them, I know what this team has, I know what this organization has. I know what I'm coming into, as far as the mentality. There's a goal that's been set, from top to bottom. I come in just for that, I come in to play championship football."

Gulp....

Reed said Texans general manager Rick Smith called him on the first day of free agency and the Texans were his first choice from that point on.

"I think we both knew, just from the conversation, how things were going and how this would work," Reed said. "It just was a matter of time with getting it done."

Its all farts and giggles in the offseason Ed.....

Dread-Head
11-21-2013, 01:39 PM
As he leaves our fair city and says disparaging things about the coaching staff all I can remember is the time when as a Raven he faced off against Hines Ward and Hines broke his jaw...have a nice life jackass.

eriadoc
11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Have lost any respect I had for the man.

handswarmer
11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
As he leaves our fair city and says disparaging things about the coaching staff all I can remember is the time when as a Raven he faced off against Hines Ward and Hines broke his jaw...have a nice life jackass.

That was actually Keith Rivers of the Bengals although Ed and Hines have had their 'meetings'....

handswarmer
11-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Have lost any respect I had for the man.

I lost it about 2 years ago when he started bitching about his contract saying the Ravens had 'disrespected' him....then he started the whole 'will he retire or wont he' BS in the offseason....it was ridiculous.

Double Barrel
11-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I lost it about 2 years ago when he started bitching about his contract saying the Ravens had 'disrespected' him....then he started the whole 'will he retire or wont he' BS in the offseason....it was ridiculous.

Damn. And after all that, the Houston Texans go ahead and overpay the guy, trot him back to Houston on the owner's private jet, have the owner publicly call out the current leadership by saying Ed Reed will teach them how to have balls against Tom Brady, and then spin all the bad news about his injuries to the fans like business as usual.

**** Ed Reed and **** the dip****s that signed him as a savior. This season is a freakin' fiasco from top to bottom. At least the last abysmal season could still be attributed to being an expansion team. Now, 12 seasons after the inauguration and 8 years of Kubiak, the only thing to attribute it to is incompetence.

chicagotexan2
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Nope. Texans paid for a used car and their mechanics didn't check the carfax report closely.

Carr Bombed
11-21-2013, 03:26 PM

I think you have the order backwards..

The ****ing clown show (which is what this team/coaching staff is) is what has now created the distractions.

YeaLikeRightNow
11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I think you have the order backwards..

The ****ing clown show (which is what this team/coaching staff is) is what has now created the distractions.

We are merely the hemherroids clinging around the butt-crack of a franchise.

CloakNNNdagger
11-21-2013, 04:23 PM
After listening to Reed's classless approach to his remarks, and then listening to Wade's response when asked about them, Reed's remarks became immensely more classless.

I would have to reply to Reed that Wade did exactly what he has always done.......giving the player and the team the best chance to succeed..........by putting him on a plane..........:texflag:

eriadoc
11-21-2013, 04:30 PM
I would have to reply to Reed that Wade did exactly what he has always done.......giving the player and the team the best chance to succeed..........by putting him on a plane..........:texflag:

Yep. As I have said a couple times, the Texans were outcoached when they signed Ed Reed and every time they played him. They were outplayed every time he set foot on the field.

Double Barrel
11-21-2013, 04:38 PM
After listening to Reed's classless approach to his remarks, and then listening to Wade's response when asked about them, Reed's remarks became immensely more classless.

I heard Wade's full reply, and I cannot help but like the guy. Dude is a chip off the ol' block, and he's got more class in his pinky than Ed could even begin to imagine.

I think Reed might be attempting to distance his career from the 2-8 Texans, but Wade nailed it without having to elaborate. You represent yourself with reactions to situations that you're involved in.

I've only got one message for Ed Reed at this point:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/rabscuttle-fr/Warm-Cup-of-STFU.jpg

Thorn
11-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I still find it humorous that some folks think Ed Reed revealed anything that we didn't already know. As to Ed Reed, good riddance is all I can say. He's the Jets problem now.

Dread-Head
11-21-2013, 04:54 PM
That was actually Keith Rivers of the Bengals although Ed and Hines have had their 'meetings'....

The Steeler/Ravens game means less now that neither of them is suiting up.

handswarmer
11-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Damn. And after all that, the Houston Texans go ahead and overpay the guy, trot him back to Houston on the owner's private jet, have the owner publicly call out the current leadership by saying Ed Reed will teach them how to have balls against Tom Brady, and then spin all the bad news about his injuries to the fans like business as usual.

**** Ed Reed and **** the dip****s that signed him as a savior. This season is a freakin' fiasco from top to bottom. At least the last abysmal season could still be attributed to being an expansion team. Now, 12 seasons after the inauguration and 8 years of Kubiak, the only thing to attribute it to is incompetence.

Rex Ryan signs ER because "we've given up too many long balls".....

Well who did Jacoby Jones beat on that 66yd TD pass into a 25 mph wind?

Ed Reed.....http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000286864/Week-12-Ravens-vs-Jets-highlights

handswarmer
11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
The Steeler/Ravens game means less now that neither of them is suiting up.

Means a TON- records tied, steelers hold head to head advantage and both teams are 1 game out of 6th playoff spot. Ravens have better conference record.

Thanksgiving night? gonna be a dogfight.....

TheIronDuke
11-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Nobody cares. Ed Reed isn't here anymore and we have already lost to the Ravens. You can go now, thanks for stopping by!

Mr teX
11-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Ed just needs to hang em up....he's been exposed with 2 different teams now as not being the same guy...the funny thing in all this is this isn't the 1st time Jacoby has gotten him on a deep ball.

go to the 3.11 mark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3l4MTEttYw

handswarmer
11-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Nobody cares. Ed Reed isn't here anymore and we have already lost to the Ravens. You can go now, thanks for stopping by!

You sir, are most welcome....

handswarmer
12-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Ed, Ed Ed Eddy, babe, PLEASE!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293056/article/ed-reed-wants-to-play-two-more-seasons-in-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atl

CloakNNNdagger
12-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Ed, Ed Ed Eddy, babe, PLEASE!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000293056/article/ed-reed-wants-to-play-two-more-seasons-in-nfl?campaign=Twitter_atl

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/user_photos/1219936/8d22716428622d3f872989f88c7601ba_rectangle_fullsiz e.JPG

Comes to mind...............