PDA

View Full Version : The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Pages : [1] 2 3

Honoring Earl 34
11-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Dave Toub, ST coach with KC. This guy is going to be another Harbaugh.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/25/4656058/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-special-teams-highlights

Hey ... if y'all want a special teams coach , good , Bob has a favorite in Joe Marciano . He's a great face of the franchise kinda like another #8 . :hurrah:

Link to the first/original thread:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64514

kingtexan
11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protege

I like that. Newsome has done wonders for Baltimore. Maybe he could bring a scout or two with him.

I like Reed as a secondary coach. Let Ed coach up the youngsters.

We need a fresh offensive system, Garys has been figured out and exposed. Not sure who the next OC needs to be, but they need to bring something fresh to the table, and not conservative.

Wades defense has also been figured out, and puts too much stock in the blitz. We need to get better at applying pressure with four up front, and controlling the field in coverage. We need to bring in a defensive scheme that is cutting edge, and not the same ol same ol.

ST needs to be completely re-vamped. Bring in someone who is shining at the college level.

Mr teX
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Clear a couple things up first:

Shaw won't be leaving Stanford.
Lovie Smith is not a good coach
Gruden isn't leaving MNF

Now, some other prospects mentioned:

Tony Dungy may be the most overrated coach in NFL history (Anyone could have done what he did with Peyton. In fact, a really good coach would have won many more titles). Just see what Jim Caldwell did with Peyton (14-2) and without.

Rex Ryan isn't getting fired by the Jets - he has done a phenomenal job this year. He's weird, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Tony Dungy also built the defense that Gruden won his SB with...I feel safe in assuming he has an eye for defensive talent..especially when you consider how good his defenses were in Indy.

I'd like to see David Shaw or Obrien from Penn State...

Texian
11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Dungy has categorically said he is done with coaching, kaput, finished, never to go back. Enjoying his life after coaching to much to ever go back.

TEXANRED
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
I would be happy with either Lovie Smith or Kevin Sumlin.

texanhead08
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM
You need a good GM with an eye for talent no matter who you hire. I don't like a coach having total control or the final say on personnel decisions. It just gives them more things to worry about and its hard enough to coach without having to find players too.

kingtexan
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
You need a good GM with an eye for talent no matter who you hire. I don't like a coach having total control or the final say on personnel decisions. It just gives them more things to worry about and its hard enough to coach without having to find players too.

Unless someone like Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells walks through the door.

HoustonFrog
11-11-2013, 12:59 PM
You call Cowher, without a doubt. Lovie was well loved up here, even with the firing. Good man, runs great Ds. His issue was working with a GM to hire a competent O Coordinator. Zimmer needs a shot at some point. I'm just a little worried why he hasn't gotten one so far. Not sure if his style wears on people.

LZ threw this out today. I haven't watched his work as much as others so no real opinion here.

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 2h
I would take Kyle Shanahan as play-caller in HOU in a heartbeat. I would also consider him w/ interview if HOU went in diff direction at HC

beerlover
11-11-2013, 01:06 PM
You call Cowher, without a doubt. Lovie was well loved up here, even with the firing. Good man, runs great Ds. His issue was working with a GM to hire a competent O Coordinator. Zimmer needs a shot at some point. I'm just a little worried why he hasn't gotten one so far. Not sure if his style wears on people.

LZ threw this out today. I haven't watched his work as much as others so no real opinion here.

Makes a lot of sense. Give Gary his final year contract while lightening his load by bringing back Kyle. Rick Smith will remain the GM. Soild call.

bckey
11-11-2013, 01:11 PM
We already had little Shanny (28 years old) here and groomed him for daddy to take to Washington as his oc. He isn't going to come back and do the same job he is already doing for his dad. I sure wouldn't want him as head coach here. He is way to inexperienced for that job. I think we need to go in a different direction.

mussop
11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
We already had little Shanny (28 years old) here and groomed him for daddy to take to Washington as his oc. He isn't going to come back and do the same job he is already doing for his dad. I sure wouldn't want him as head coach here. He is way to inexperienced for that job. I think we need to go in a different direction.

People said the same thing about Jeff fisher.

kingtexan
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Wonder what Rob Ryan could do with our defensive players?

2slik4u
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM

I bet big Shanny gets canned after this season.

Honoring Earl 34
11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I would be done with the Shanny's and their tree .

2slik4u
11-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I bet big Shanny gets canned after this season.

just to clarify - I want nothing to do with big Shanny. Just pointing out that after daddy gets fired, Kyle will have no other reason to stick around D.C.

To be honest, I am ready for a complete overhaul scheme change myself. Ready for a spread offense a la New Orleans, GB, Denver, etc. The ZBS was great and effective but in order to re-invent our team (which is what I think is needed) I think we need to re-invent the scheme.

HOU-TEX
11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Jerry Glanville

We might still suck, but ya couldn't say it wouldn't be entertaining

:sarcasm:

The1ApplePie
11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden
Lovie Smith
Joe Philbin (if he gets canned over the Incognito mess)

Rob Ryan was a blowhard douche when he was with the Cowboys, not sure if he is head coach material.

Hopefully no college coaches

Lurvinator11
11-11-2013, 01:46 PM
This is just speculation, but:

I was looking at teams records today, and realized it is very possible that 8 teams could have openings this offseason.

Washington 3-6 Shanny
New York Giants 3-6 Coughlin
Minnesota 2-7 Frazier
Pittsburgh 3-6 Tomlin
Tampa Bay 0-8 Schiano
Atlanta 2-7 Smith
Jacksonville 1-8 Bradley
Houston 2-7 Kubiak

Now of course, some of these seasons can be turned around, and won't get fired. Like I said, it's just speculation.

Giving that however, are there any coaches from these teams any of y'all would like to bring in?

Kaiser Toro
11-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Little Shanny needs a win on his career path before there is any consideration. Cronyism is a major contributor to the mediocrity of the Texans' Kubiak experience to date.

GuerillaBlack
11-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Lovie Smith.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 10:46 AM
They need to lose the Denver connection and find another coaching tree to find fruit.

kiwitexansfan
11-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Coughlin if he gets canned needs to be looked at.

He's won a ring and Eli isn't exactly an all time great.

Thorn
11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Coughlin if he gets canned needs to be looked at.

He's won a ring and Eli isn't exactly an all time great.

Coughlin is like 90,000 years old or something. Hell, he looks older than Wade. (Like I should be talking)

eriadoc
11-12-2013, 11:29 AM
This is just speculation, but:

I was looking at teams records today, and realized it is very possible that 8 teams could have openings this offseason.

Washington 3-6 Shanny
New York Giants 3-6 Coughlin
Minnesota 2-7 Frazier
Pittsburgh 3-6 Tomlin
Tampa Bay 0-8 Schiano
Atlanta 2-7 Smith
Jacksonville 1-8 Bradley
Houston 2-7 Kubiak

Now of course, some of these seasons can be turned around, and won't get fired. Like I said, it's just speculation.

Giving that however, are there any coaches from these teams any of y'all would like to bring in?

Tomlin is about the only guy on that list I'd be halfway interested in. Coughlin changed his outlook on things and became an even better coach, but he's getting up there in years and I'm not sure he'd even be interested in starting over. Tomlin would at least be worth an interview. Find out what he learned from his mistakes and see how much of the Steeler way can be brought in. But like I said before, halfway interested.

If we're looking at retreads, I'd be willing to take a look at Whisenhunt. He just had the one gig and got the Cards to the Super Bowl. The Cards fell apart, but from everything we know about the Cards owner, I'm not surprised at all.

If we're looking at college coaches, I guess I could find some excitement about Sumlin, but I just think it's too early for him. Two guys I'd be interested in considering for coordinator positions would be Will Muschamp and Bronco Mendenhall (BYU).

santo
11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I'll take Lovie Smith but we would need an excellent OC.

ThaJokaa
11-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I'll take Lovie Smith but we would need an excellent OC.

Bring back Mike Shanahan?

But I think Kubes will be here next season

Dread-Head
11-12-2013, 02:52 PM
The Bill Cowher Power Hour!

welsh texan
11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Josh mcdaniels. Made his rookie mistakes elsewhere, awful QB **** imposed on him and, I think very importantly, all that experience was gained dealing with shanny's aftermath in Denver.

Mcdaniels is one of the best offensive minds in the game, unlocks access to the bellichek coaching tree. His record in Denver was unfair, his firing somewhat questionable.

Picking in the top 3 given the perceived talent on the team must surely be a pull for us to get who we want.

TEXANRED
11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
The Bill Cowher Power Hour!

Cowher hasn't coached a game in 7 years.

TheMatrix31
11-12-2013, 04:05 PM
McDaniels? That guy DESTROYED the Broncos. He's one of the biggest cancers. **** that guy. I never want to read his name suggested ever again.

And Mike Tomlin isn't getting fired, lol.

Texian
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
McDaniels? That guy DESTROYED the Broncos. He's one of the biggest cancers. **** that guy. I never want to read his name suggested ever again.

And Mike Tomlin isn't getting fired, lol.

Ever notice how most who descend from the Belichick tree always FAIL in a BIG way? I think that's because Belichick always fills out The To Do List and hands it out to his subordinates. None of the subordinates know how to fill out a "To Do List".

kiwitexansfan
11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Coughlin is like 90,000 years old or something. Hell, he looks older than Wade. (Like I should be talking)

'Only' 67

Wolf
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere, but I'd like him coming over if he got fired

mussop
11-12-2013, 08:18 PM
What do y'all think about the steelers DC? Dick Labeu (sp).

drs23
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM

He'll die a Steeler.

infantrycak
11-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Dude - he can remember WWII ending.

MEGA SWATT
11-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Cowher hasn't coached a game in 7 years.

Kubiak has roughly coached 119 games in that general time frame. What does that prove? He's average - 51% of those were wins. :kubepalm:

Cowher will be coaching, NOT playing:mariopalm:. You are asking they guy to coach at a high level and generate wins. I'm pretty sure Cowher is capable of doing that now-- 7 yrs removed or not. With coaching, you either have IT or you don't. He has IT.

Thorn
11-13-2013, 07:11 AM
If something is rotting in the fridge, throw it out. If you put something back in that rots, well, there's a problem that needs to be fixed somewhere. We're on our second regime, and they need thrown out. If the third regime turns out to be screw ups, then we know where the problem lies and it's probably not going to be fixable, just like Bud Adams.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Dude - he can remember WWII ending.

Plus he already had a shot at the HC gig in Cincinnati and it did not end well.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a question. Is it time for Rob Ryan to get a chance to be HC?

I'm not for him or against him. I'm just wondering. Thinking out loud if you will.

DX-TEX
11-13-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm not for him or against him. I'm just wondering. Thinking out loud if you will.

No. Just no.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 10:27 AM
No. Just no.

Hey, I just spent 8 years watching Gary Kubiak coach a football team. I'm not taking too many options off the table at this point. It's all just mental masturbation on our part anyway. Until someone puts a stake in Gary's heart and it's done nothing any of us suggests will come to pass.

DX-TEX
11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey, I just spent 8 years watching Gary Kubiak coach a football team. I'm not taking too many options off the table at this point. It's all just mental masturbation on our part anyway. Until someone puts a stake in Gary's heart and it's done nothing any of us suggests will come to pass.

The whole Ryan family are great DC's but horrible head coaches.

GuerillaBlack
11-13-2013, 11:04 AM
The whole Ryan family are great DC's but horrible head coaches.

Don't think Rex is a bad coach. much better than Kubiak.

infantrycak
11-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Don't think Rex is a bad coach. much better than Kubiak.

Please explain. He took over a 9-7 team and has double digit wins once.

Hervoyel
11-13-2013, 11:51 AM

You know what though? It's a pretty common misconception. I was about to respond to DX-TEX with something like "Well, lets look at the numbers..." and I went to Pro Football Reference and found that he's pretty much a .500 coach just like his father.

I'd really always assumed he was more successful than that (and that Buddy Ryan had been more successful than that too).

I don't know that it means that Rob (Rob? Rex? I get them confused) Ryan would also be a .500 coach but I guess it does tend to make that seem likely since they're all out of the same coaching tree and a lot alike.

infantrycak
11-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Winning percentages are all over the map. Mike Martz is high .624 (better than Cowher) but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Wade Phillips has an excellent winning % and most say he isn't a HC. Dungy is .668 and some folks think John Gruden and his .540 out coached him.

As to Rex I subjectively don't like him and don't see the objective measure by which he is better.

VTexan
11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
give me sumlin and i'm not talking about the rockets

bhsman
11-13-2013, 04:50 PM
If we're looking at college coaches, I guess I could find some excitement about Sumlin, but I just think it's too early for him.

I should probably point out that Sumlin is older now than Gary was when he became head coach.

infantrycak
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I should probably point out that Sumlin is older now than Gary was when he became head coach.

I think his point is this is Sumlin's first year in a big time college conference and he has no NFL experience. Kubiak had 21 years of NFL coaching experience including 10 at OC.

Goatcheese
11-13-2013, 07:24 PM
give me sumlin and i'm not talking about the rockets

Why do people want a giant douche who quit on his team right before a bowl game?

He's a scumbag and I don't want that piece of crap anywhere near Houston.

Texecutioner
11-13-2013, 09:32 PM

Lol! Gary could have never won with the teams that Rex won with. Rex turned over a lot of the roster when he arrived. He went to two AFC championships with Sanchez, and might make the playoffs this season. Kubiak couldn't dream of making the playoffs with the current Jets team. This is an easy one.

I think his point is this is Sumlin's first year in a big time college conference and he has no NFL experience. Kubiak had 21 years of NFL coaching experience including 10 at OC.

And the majority of Texans fans would all take Sumlin despite Kubiak's experience. Kubiak's experience is a poor resume. In many case a lack of a resume is better then a bad one. Not many people are buying into this illusion that Elway needed Gary to win SB's in Denver. He was leading his team to SB games before Kubiak ever started coaching. Elway made Shanahan and Kubiak.

Texan_Bill
11-13-2013, 10:08 PM
And the majority of Texans fans would all take Sumlin despite Kubiak's experience. Kubiak's experience is a poor resume.

I would love Sumlin as head coach, that said how many times have "the sexy college coach" failed in the NFL?

Pete Carroll has made a comeback, but failed miserably in his first attempt, Al Groh? Not so much! I could go on and on, but to say Kubiak has a poor resume is asinine at best.

Come with a different argument and we'll talk, but again to say he has a "poor resume" is asinine and self-serving at best.

That said, I think the Texans need to move forward from both Smith and Kubiak.

As an aside on a related issue, HOU-TEX there seems to be a dumpster

eriadoc
11-13-2013, 10:08 PM

This.

And the majority of Texans fans would all take Sumlin despite Kubiak's experience. Kubiak's experience is a poor resume. In many case a lack of a resume is better then a bad one. Not many people are buying into this illusion that Elway needed Gary to win SB's in Denver. He was leading his team to SB games before Kubiak ever started coaching. Elway made Shanahan and Kubiak.

NOW, yes. At the time of Kubiak's hiring, his resume was about all you could ask for from a guy who had not been a head coach. It was his time, and someone was going to give hima job. Sucks that it didn't work out, sucks worse that they extended him beyond 2010, but in 2006, it was a good hire.

As for the QB thing, Elway and Young were both obvious greats before Kubiak got ahold of them. But like it or not, both of those QBs had the best years of their career under Kubiak. Then he also made crappy QBs like Plummer and Griese look good. There are plenty of things to knock about Kubiak, but his work with QBs is not one of those things.

Anyway, not saying no way to the notion of Sumlin, but if you give me the 2005 resume of Kubiak and the 2013 resume of Sumlin, Kubiak's wins. Successful pro experience for Kubiak, for starters, and Sumlin's a bit of a job hopper. Just my preference.

infantrycak
11-13-2013, 10:21 PM
As for the QB thing, Elway and Young were both obvious greats before Kubiak got ahold of them. But like it or not, both of those QBs had the best years of their career under Kubiak.

To expand on this a bit. It isn't just an observation of stats. Both those guys have vigorously lauded Kubiak and stated he was key to their best seasons.

Somewhat related note, Young spoke about Kubiak a couple weeks ago and the assertion Kubiak is a conservative play caller. He basically threw Schaub under the bus. He said that is completely wrong and anyone who has been a QB around him knows it is false but he recognizes the traits of each QB and works with what they can do.

Brisco_County
11-13-2013, 10:42 PM
To expand on this a bit. It isn't just an observation of stats. Both those guys have vigorously lauded Kubiak and stated he was key to their best seasons.

Somewhat related note, Young spoke about Kubiak a couple weeks ago and the assertion Kubiak is a conservative play caller. He basically threw Schaub under the bus. He said that is completely wrong and anyone who has been a QB around him knows it is false but he recognizes the traits of each QB and works with what they can do.

It's regrettable that he spent all this time in Houston trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Now he finally gets a real opportunity in Keenum, and he won't be able to take advantage of it.

Exascor
11-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Just to kinda kill any Art Briles talk: Art Briles Agrees to 10 Year Extension (http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Around-sports-Briles-Baylor-agree-on-10-year-4982143.php?cmpid=sportshcat)
I'm sure it can be broken but I get the feeling he really doesn't want to move away from Baylor. He's 58 in case anyone was curious.

htowntexans1985
11-14-2013, 10:16 AM
I'd take a look at Jack Del Rio. He seems to have regained his "swagger" so to speak.

Hervoyel
11-14-2013, 10:39 AM
I'd take a look at Jack Del Rio. He seems to have regained his "swagger" so to speak.

I've always thought Del Rio was a turd.

amazing80
11-14-2013, 11:17 AM

agreed, no thanks to del rio or the ryan brothers

infantrycak
11-14-2013, 12:33 PM

This falls squarely in the WTF column of the anyone but Kubiak crowd. You would be replacing an 8 year coach because he only has 2 playoff appearances with 2 playoff wins for a turd who in 9 years has 2 playoff appearances with 1 playoff win.

Hervoyel
11-14-2013, 12:55 PM
This falls squarely in the WTF column of the anyone but Kubiak crowd. You would be replacing an 8 year coach because he only has 2 playoff appearances with 2 playoff wins for a turd who in 9 years has 2 playoff appearances with 1 playoff win.

Yeah. I agree. I think that a lot of people have Belichick after he left Cleveland or Coughlin after he left Jacksonville in mind when suggestions come up like this.

Most of the head coaches that don't work out don't go on to do great things (at least I don't think they do).

Rey
11-14-2013, 02:48 PM
What defensive coordinators would you guys want?

2slik4u
11-14-2013, 07:42 PM

I would entertain it MAYBE if he cut his hair. If he keeps the hair he can stay in NO.

thunderkyss
11-14-2013, 08:59 PM
http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/589/11/589_1384463849.jpg

thunderkyss
11-14-2013, 09:02 PM
You know what though? It's a pretty common misconception. I was about to respond to DX-TEX with something like "Well, lets look at the numbers..." and I went to Pro Football Reference and found that he's pretty much a .500 coach just like his father.

I'd really always assumed he was more successful than that (and that Buddy Ryan had been more successful than that too).

I don't know that it means that Rob (Rob? Rex? I get them confused) Ryan would also be a .500 coach but I guess it does tend to make that seem likely since they're all out of the same coaching tree and a lot alike.

That may be so, but he took Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game twice. He also beat the Patriots once for the division title (I'm not sure if that was the year Brady was hurt or not).

I'm not a big fan of Rex (yet) but if he can make something out of the Jets (which looks like their back on their way up) I may have to change my mind.

Tolar's Ghost
11-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Keith Butler, the Steelers' longtime linebackers coach. Get him before he takes over for LeBeau next year (or gets hired as HC by another team):

http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches/keith-butler/086430f2-c1eb-446d-b74b-64edfc5bf796

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 01:53 PM

yep. And beyond all of the above, there is also this little nugget:

Early in the week, Spurrier resorted to asking advice from another head coach, Denver Broncos’ Mike Shanahan. Spurrier, portrayed by many as arrogant when it comes to his offense, wanted to know how Shanahan handled play-calling duties with Broncos’ offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

When Shanahan told Spurrier that the Broncos immediately won two Super Bowls when Kubiak took over calling plays, the second-year Redskins’ coach didn’t need any more convincing.

From the article: Coles Saves the Redskins (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=WT&p_theme=wt&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0FEC46DB9C3AAD6E&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM)- Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - By Michael N. Graff, The Winchester Star

htowntexans1985
11-15-2013, 03:21 PM
I would entertain it MAYBE if he cut his hair. If he keeps the hair he can stay in NO.

So now we are judging a guys grooming habits? My, how the mighty have fallen. What's next, he has to have blond hair?

The Pencil Neck
11-15-2013, 03:38 PM
There isn't a single coach out there that everyone on this board is going to love the hiring of. If it's a college coach, some people are going to hate the lack of NFL experience. If it's a coordinator, some people are going to hate it because of the lack of head coaching experience. If it's a guy with head coaching experience, people are going to bring up whatever got him fired from his last job.

And everyone wants a coach who's already won a SB but... no coach who has won a Super Bowl with one team has gone to another team and won another Super Bowl. Most SB winning coaches go to other teams and fail pretty badly although a few have done OK. Parcells and Vermiel have arguably done the best.

People bring up Bill Cowher. I like Bill Cowher as a person. As the coach of the Texans? Not so much. He didn't win a SB until his 14th season. FOURTEEN seasons. He had a huge reputation as a guy who didn't coach well in big games but people forget that. And then add in the whole thing about SB coaches not being able to do it again with another team and it's a big 'NO' for me.

Same with Gruden.

So any person we hire as our new HC will be a total and complete crap-shoot. Their previous experience and NFL vs. College all of that is pretty much meaningless. There are no sure-fire, going to bring us a SB coaches out there because they don't exist.

amazing80
11-15-2013, 04:35 PM
There isn't a single coach out there that everyone on this board is going to love the hiring of. If it's a college coach, some people are going to hate the lack of NFL experience. If it's a coordinator, some people are going to hate it because of the lack of head coaching experience. If it's a guy with head coaching experience, people are going to bring up whatever got him fired from his last job.

And everyone wants a coach who's already won a SB but... no coach who has won a Super Bowl with one team has gone to another team and won another Super Bowl. Most SB winning coaches go to other teams and fail pretty badly although a few have done OK. Parcells and Vermiel have arguably done the best.

People bring up Bill Cowher. I like Bill Cowher as a person. As the coach of the Texans? Not so much. He didn't win a SB until his 14th season. FOURTEEN seasons. He had a huge reputation as a guy who didn't coach well in big games but people forget that. And then add in the whole thing about SB coaches not being able to do it again with another team and it's a big 'NO' for me.

Same with Gruden.

So any person we hire as our new HC will be a total and complete crap-shoot. Their previous experience and NFL vs. College all of that is pretty much meaningless. There are no sure-fire, going to bring us a SB coaches out there because they don't exist.

agreed. the best coach will be the one that fits our players with a scheme that works for them.....not force the players to fit their scheme

Double Barrel
11-15-2013, 05:50 PM

While true about Cowher, let's also not forget he only had 3 losing seasons in 15 years.

In that 15 seasons, the Steelers went to the playoffs 10 times. Lost a Super Bowl by his fourth year. 8 division titles.

The one stat that blows my mind: Through the Super Bowl, Cowher's team had compiled a record of 108–1–1 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points.

Maybe the game has passed him by, who knows. But I'd take that chance if he really wanted to get back into coaching.

The thing about a guy like Cowher is his connections. He could bring in some top coordinators and position coaches. And I have no doubt that players would want to come here to play for him.

I think he's done with coaching, though, so I have no hopes about it. But, fans can dream...

thunderkyss
11-15-2013, 10:33 PM

Same with Gruden.

My thing about Cowher & Gruden.... they'd have been coaching 5 years ago if they wanted to. But they didn't want to. I don't want our club to be their little play-thing to figure out if they've still got the heart to put in what it takes... what they know it takes to be a HC in the NFL.

infantrycak
11-16-2013, 12:34 AM
If they make a switch, my preferences run to either a college HC of more than 2 years from a significant conference or an NFL coordinator - either way coming into their 1st NFL HC position. Prefer an offensive guy to defense. Wouldn't completely rule out NFL retread HCs but not top of my list.

With that in mind I would hope they would talk to:

David Shaw - has a recent contract extension.
Greg Roman
Pep Hamilton - light on experience.
Pete Carmichael, Jr. - not sure how much of a Kubiak situation he may be in with Payton.
Charlie Strong - also has a recent contract extension.

thunderkyss
11-16-2013, 12:57 AM
With that in mind I would hope they would talk to:

David Shaw - has a recent contract extension.
Greg Roman
Pep Hamilton - light on experience.
Pete Carmichael, Jr. - not sure how much of a Kubiak situation he may be in with Payton.
Charlie Strong - also has a recent contract extension.

Not a bad list.... however, I don't know if I'd be too interested in Carmichael. Like you said (I think) if he's in a Rick Dennison roll, which I'd think he was, I'd like to see him somewhere else before giving him a head coaching job.

Jay Gruden.... that's a guy I'd be interested in. Or even better....

http://cbssports.com/images/nfl/photogallery/Mike_Zimmer_Bobby_Petrino_Gutless_MF.jpg

He's a defensive guy, but I think it's been a long time coming.

Texecutioner
11-16-2013, 10:46 AM
yep. And beyond all of the above, there is also this little nugget:

I really can't believe you guys still hang onto this stuff. Shanhan's reputation around the league amongst most fans isn't a good one as it is. Elway made Shanahan, and if he didn't walk onto a team with Elway Shanahan would just be another average OC out there along with this sad excuse for a HC that we currently have. Shanahan hasn't done squat since Elway left that team other than having one team that went to an AFC championship that quickly fizzled after that. Kubiak's play calling has proven to be one of the worst in the league for years. Hell, I've outlined numerous play calling decisions that have cost the team a playoff birth in previous seasons and he still makes those same mistakes now and hasn't learned from them. We're right back to being on the same boat with the Jags, the Raiders, and the Bills. It's just a few Texans fans out here in this city that refuse to acknowledge it. We're back to being a joke, and we can thank Mcnair, Kubiak, and Smith for that. But Kubiak's play calling is pretty much a circus act at this point. His Denny's poster might as well say Barnum & Bailey's Circus on it.

While true about Cowher, let's also not forget he only had 3 losing seasons in 15 years.

In that 15 seasons, the Steelers went to the playoffs 10 times. Lost a Super Bowl by his fourth year. 8 division titles.

The one stat that blows my mind: Through the Super Bowl, Cowher's team had compiled a record of 108–1–1 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points.

Maybe the game has passed him by, who knows. But I'd take that chance if he really wanted to get back into coaching.

The thing about a guy like Cowher is his connections. He could bring in some top coordinators and position coaches. And I have no doubt that players would want to come here to play for him.

I think he's done with coaching, though, so I have no hopes about it. But, fans can dream...

I'm not as high on Cowher as I was before since it's been so many years as well. However, if we went in that direction I'd quickly come around to it I assume. All of those reasons you mentioned above are a big reason why. It's not like Cowher's been living in Alaska and fishing and hunting all of this time. Hell, the guy's been heavily involved with the NFL and the sport ever since he retired, so I doubt any NFL game has passed him by. It just makes me a little less excited about him since it's been so long.

eriadoc
11-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Interesting article on BYU's head coach Bronco Mendenhall, from 2012 (before Ansah was drafted very highly in 2013):

Is BYU's Mendenhall anti-NFL? No, just cautious and realistic
(http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/54607495-65/byu-really-nfl-think.html.csp)

It appears BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall ruffled a few feathers the other day -- he's never done that before, right? -- while talking to a group of youth football coaches at Alta High. My buddy at the Provo Daily Herald, Jason Franchuk, reported on the comments in which Mendenhall basically reminded the coaches that making it to the NFL often isn't all it is cracked up to be. I would provide a link, but I can't find it on the Herald's website.

Is Mendenhall anti-NFL? No, but he probably doesn't push it to his players as a career path as much as most coaches, from what I have seen and heard.

At BYU's football media day in June, a couple months removed from the NFL draft in which even All-American tackle Matt Reynolds went undrafted, I asked Mendenhall if he was concerned that other schools could use BYU's draft drought against the Cougars in recruiting.

His answer:

"People will do anything they can in recruiting to attack, or expose an area where they might have an upper hand, whether it is real or not. Five players from our team this year had a chance to go to the NFL. Excluding the first two rounds, I actually think, maybe the first three rounds -- I will rephrase that. If you don't go in the first two for sure, I question the third, it is almost better for them to have a chance to be a free agent because the team that then takes you has a specific need for you, really wants you. So we had five players that had a chance this year. Five is still five.

The players that are drafted, it is an interesting thing. The NFL commissioner asked us as coaches to pass on this statistic -- you can verify this with them. But for players that make it three years or longer in the NFL, 70 percent of those players have all of the following: they are bankrupt, divorced, a substance abuser and disabled. So these kids, if that is their dream or aspiration, they need to go in with their eyes wide open. Our focus, absolutely I want them to be in the NFL. But then I want them to be in the 30 percent that then does make it. If they aren't, they will have a great education, they will have a great background in moral standing to really be successful.

The bottom line is when players play truly to their ability, and have the ability to make it, no matter what school they are currently at, they will play in the NFL. Our focus here is fantastic football with everything else, not in place of football. ... If that costs us a draft pick or two, that's an easy choice for me. That doesn't mean it can't happen here. History has shown, even in my era, that we can put them there. But that's a fair question, I think."

Someone also asked Mendenhall if the professional visits that he and other coaches were making during the summer to NFL teams -- such as the Houston Texans -- are a way to develop relationships with pro clubs so they would be more familiar with BYU players.

Not really, he said.

"Not so important in that capacity. We have a great idea of what will get them there. I am anxious when we go there to more see if there is anything they are currently doing organizationally, or within the drill work, within their teaching, within strength [development], within medical care, within film breakdown. Anything that we can glean that might be helpful that we can bring back and put into our program."

Been paying attention to him for a little while, and I think he'd make a good coordinator in the NFL. He seems to have the type of character that would sit well in any locker room, and his college programs have done well at every stop.

thunderkyss
11-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Been paying attention to him for a little while, and I think he'd make a good coordinator in the NFL. He seems to have the type of character that would sit well in any locker room, and his college programs have done well at every stop.

Cool article........ MSR

amazing80
11-16-2013, 07:34 PM
he just extended contract until 2016....could be tough to get him to leave

TexanExile
11-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Is BYU's Mendenhall anti-NFL? No, just cautious and realistic
(http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/54607495-65/byu-really-nfl-think.html.csp)

"The NFL commissioner asked us as coaches to pass on this statistic -- you can verify this with them. But for players that make it three years or longer in the NFL, 70 percent of those players have all of the following: they are bankrupt, divorced, a substance abuser and disabled."

Off-topic slightly, but this quote in the article just seemed so unbelievable to me when I read it. If it were true that 70 percent of every roster in the NFL was bankrupt, disabled, divorced, AND a substance abuser, you can bet we would all know that by now.

Sure enough, the NFL says it is not accurate (https://www.nflplayerengagement.com/myths-and-facts/):

Per the NFL, compared to the general population NFL alumni are actually more likely to be married, have a higher income, and are less likely to be depressed. They're basing the numbers on a study done by the University of Michigan and I'm unsure of , but if nothing else, to say the NFL told him to pass those bogus numbers along is pretty strange.

Nothing against Bronco, but plenty against a columnist who allowed that quote to slide into the article unchallenged. That there is some lazy writing.

That number may have originated in this 2006 article (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/super/2006-01-28-retirement-perils_x.htm) by USA today, citing Ken Ruettgers as the source. (Ruettgers' website does offer some pretty awful numbers about NFL retirement (http://gamesover.org/retirement/when_the_cheering_stops), by the way...especially suicide rates.) But the qualifier is the use of the word "OR" instead of the "AND" used by Mendenhall ("all of the following").

So anyway: interesting guy, lousy columnist, and Bronco's not on my short list for candidates in Houston. Speaking of stuff from 2006, that was the last time Bill Cowher coached in the NFL. So he's not on my short list either.

nut
11-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Fire him now, not in 5 minutes.

Texecutioner
11-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I would love Sumlin as head coach, that said how many times have "the sexy college coach" failed in the NFL?

Pete Carroll has made a comeback, but failed miserably in his first attempt, Al Groh? Not so much! I could go on and on, but to say Kubiak has a poor resume is asinine at best.

Come with a different argument and we'll talk, but again to say he has a "poor resume" is asinine and self-serving at best.

That said, I think the Texans need to move forward from both Smith and Kubiak.

As an aside on a related issue, HOU-TEX there seems to be a dumpster

Dude, Kubiak's resume sucks miserably. He has been to the playoffs twice in 8 years. He would have been out of a job 3 years ago if it wasn't for our owner that is terrified of hiring new coaches. The fight to prove that Kubiak isn't some ****ty coordinator that is a HC for all the wrong reasons was lost years ago. Now it's just more of a running joke that is Houston football. It's not even worth getting mad over at this point. It's just comical stuff.

Elway and Young were great QB's before Kubiak ever became involved. Hell, they would have probably been even better KUbiak wasn't involved.

Mr. Texan
11-17-2013, 03:55 PM
just like schaub, pubiak has lost the locker room and the city of houston.

this team is a mess everywhere.

playcalling
discipline
defense
etc. etc. etc.

keep watt, give him WHATEVER he wants and get rid of everybody and rebuild.

Naija Texan
11-17-2013, 03:57 PM
I frankly do want him fired but the gapping hole at play calling (despite like others being impressed at Rick Dennison's on the side line yelling at them after a bad series) at offensive play calling.

That being said, this team is self destructing due to his lackluster leadership and overall bull crap. If today's game which even with Keenum in was a return to his conservative small yardage passing to TEs/RBs or slot receivers targeting play calling that made many call our offense predictable before Keenum started at KC. If this is the best he can do then we might as well fire Kubiak now unless we are targeting that #1 NFL draft pick again.

santo
11-17-2013, 04:10 PM
McNair better be calling Gruden to take over the offense and Lovie Smith for head coach. :dancer:

drs23
11-17-2013, 04:14 PM
McNair better be calling Gruden to take over the offense and Lovie Smith for head coach. :dancer:

Something needs to be done but I don't like that answer at all. I don't know what the answer is and I don't envy McNair's position. Whatever he does it's not going to please everyone. I can't wait to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth when/if he does clean house.

TexansBull
11-17-2013, 04:16 PM
I dont know who is the commentator with Kalu but he just called it. Said everything with Case and Kubiak was smoke and mirrors. Nice to hear the media finally call it.

I wonder if Kubiak called the best plays for Case...

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Thorn
11-17-2013, 04:16 PM
$5 says Pukeiack is back next week.

JDizzle
11-17-2013, 04:28 PM
This guy really is an ass head.

Mr. Texan
11-17-2013, 04:36 PM
bring it back

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/323/firekub.jpg

Texan in Japan
11-17-2013, 04:41 PM
McNair Recommended Plan:

Phase I: (this week to end of season)
- Fire Kubiak (Monday) and place Phillips in Interim HC Role
- Release Schaub (I know this costs money, but its a move a leader has to make)
- Undertake a complete evaluation of Rick Smith and all current coaches for the rest of this season (I'd fire them all, but this is a McNair plan)
- Begin review of available pro HC candidates, College HC candidates and pro Coordinators who have had HC experience

Phase II: (after season)
- Hire new GM and HC by Jan 14
- Let them evaluate current personnel and prepare for draft and FA
- Throw a bone to the fans and lower ticket prices by 5-10%

Mr. McNair we have to make some radical changes (see KC Chiefs) to get this turned around. GK and RS are nice guys, but you know what they say about nice guys. We need to change this team's attitude and atmosphere or we'll continue to be mediocre.

A lifelong Houston Pro-Football fan.

djohn2oo8
11-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Rumblings are coming out that Kubiak didn't decide to start Keenum against Indy. It was a front office decision. And he was told he would be fired if Oakland won.

Vance87
11-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Rumblings are coming out that Kubiak didn't decide to start Keenum against Indy. It was a front office decision. And he was told he would be fired if Oakland won.

Source...?

Texan in Japan
11-17-2013, 04:48 PM

If this is accurate, I think it's the humane thing to do for the team and GK. Time to move on for all of us.

JCTexan
11-17-2013, 04:49 PM

God, I hope this is true! Kubiak being gone tonight would be awesome...

Thorn
11-17-2013, 04:50 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Mr. Texan
11-17-2013, 04:51 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

+2

i'll throw a party once i see the breaking news ticker on espn

djohn2oo8
11-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Source...?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8432796&postcount=969

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8432866&postcount=1003

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8432897&postcount=1018

JB
11-17-2013, 04:57 PM

So one fan saying so makes it true? Is that you?

TexansBull
11-17-2013, 05:00 PM
So one fan saying so makes it true?

A Tmac fan on top if that...

houstonspartan
11-17-2013, 05:01 PM
I dont know who is the commentator with Kalu but he just called it. Said everything with Case and Kubiak was smoke and mirrors. Nice to hear the media finally call it.

I wonder if Kubiak called the best plays for Case...

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

drs23
11-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Clutchfans? That's all you got? Hilarious.

Isn't that where the janitor worked who knew everything (=nothing) about the Ed Reed fiasco? :kitten:

aussie_texan
11-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I was in the camp for keeping kubiak next year and to see out his contract. but after seeing schuab put back out there.....well i just want to say hi to everyone in this thread :kitten:

TexansBull
11-17-2013, 05:39 PM
What does that mean?

Essentially that Kubiak was never going to give Case a fair chance no matter what. He was going to go back to Schaub no matter what.

burro
11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Kubiak should be fired tonight and Dennison promoted to interim HC for the remainder of the season. I would prefer Sumlin replace him and build a spread offense around Keenum like he did at UofH, but that's a pipe dream.

TEXANRED
11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Kubiak should be getting his walking papers right now.

HoustonFrog
11-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Clown should have been gone years ago. Wade saved his job but didn't make him a better coach. He'll be someone's OC next

Flyingfish
11-17-2013, 06:30 PM
A wholesale change of players and letting the front office and the coaching staff remain intact is treating the symptoms and ignoring the disease. This team is lost in the FOG (Friends of Geary).

Geary calls the plays, the QB's cannot audible out unless it is to one of the other called plays. The play calling has been childish at best, which is why Case's best plays have been the product of him running for his life and improvising with the WR's (ask AJ) and the tight ends. On the other hand, Schaub cannot escape so he relies on dumping his famous 2 yd pass - either near one of our players or to one of theirs.

Kubiak's famed offense has been figured out, game-planned and every team is ready for it. To say it isn't is to ignore the fact that the Run and Shoot was once all the rage, as was the famed Dallas Flex-Defense. Gimmicks get figured out.

Time has come to get this team out of the FOG. Cut Geary, the special teams coach and the O-Line coach on Monday. Make Wade the interim head HC, Kollar the DC and move Dorrell to OC. Reorganize the position staff to fill out the gaps. Put Rick Smith and everyone left that they are on notice - they are coaching for their (and Rick's) jobs. The new special teams coach, the new OC and new DC will be responsible for their units (Wade will not DC) and everyone will be held responsible for their units.

Finish cleaning out the players that are lost in the FOG. Bench Schaub and Frig Newton. Tell the Kicker his next miss will be his last. If they pout, put them on the inactive list and activate someone that knows no one owes them a position (Keenum starts, Yates over Schaub).

This season can build toward the draft and next year, or it can suck and create a toxic and disorganized situation at draft time.

mussop
11-17-2013, 06:40 PM
What some of us were saying years ago.

Good points made in this thread from the pink soapers

consistently see too many opportunities to do the little things winning teams do, that we don't do. Like pick up additional yardage with 8 seconds on the clock and 1 timeout. Or try to get the ball to your best player inside the 10 yard line, not have him block on a play most saw coming.

4 years is long enough for someone to turn a team into a winner. Kubiak has failed to do so and other coaches have done it quicker and with no more to work with than Kubiak has had.

Kubiak's problem is he is too loyal to players and coaches that suck. Myers should be gone. Richard Smith should have been gone after his first season. Weaver was kept around too long. Chris Brown still sucks.

Cowher says he won't talk to any teams that still have a coach.

we are 1-5 in or division this year, and we got the 1 win against a team that was starting an 0-6 run. Kubiak has built a team whose achilles heel is the teams in its own division.

Every D in the league knows Schaub can only audible to run plays....so he doesn't audible.

McNair gave Dom Capers the boot as his head coach after four playoff-less seasons, and Kubiak now deserves the exact same treatment. Despite having some of the most gifted players in the league at several positions, the Texans lack heart, killer instinct and the know-how to win. If that's not a reflection on a head coach's leadership, what pray tell is?

Why wait until the end of the season? Getting the new guy, now, can get his feet onto the ground and with the players before the season is done.
four years without one winning season is failure.

do we hope Kubiak pulls it together next season and give him another year? And, if we do give him another year and he doesn't pull it off, we'll fire him, but that would put us a year behind where we COULD HAVE BEEN had we fired him THIS year.

Miami, Atlanta, Denver, New Orleans, I could go on. Teams can switch coaches and immediately make the playoffs.

am not for firing Kubiak just to fire him. it has to be an upgrade and this is the year for hiring a top head coach.

are you really going to bring Kubiak back as a lame duck coach without a contract or God forbid, re-sign him to an extension?

All of the stupid mistakes are on those coaches as much as the players.

Is it out of the question to think a new coach, with different strengths and weaknesses, might correct some of the long running problems with this team while building on the foundation Kubiak has put in place?

The team is getting better and better each year...the bad thing is the losses are more heartbreaking because the team is getting better and better.
Kubiak has only managed to beat Capers best record by one win...in 3 years. For a guy who has brought the team so far he sure does have a crappy record.

Given the Jekyll / Hyde of this team this team has shown from one half to the next in every game this year (w/ poss. exception of Bengals) one of two things must be true. Either: A) Kubiak & Co. performed miracles keepng us tied / ahead in games we had no business being in. or.. B) We are really as talented as we looked in the "good" half and the other half was so dreadfully coached, executed, etc. that it was painful to watch.

2009 - Week 13 - 5-7
2008 - Week 13 - 5-7
2007 - Week 13 - 5-7

At the end of the season, you are what your record says you are. When it's obvious that the talent has improved, but the record stays the same...who do you blame?

If this "improved" team finishes 8-8 next year, do you give Kubiak a new contract or let him go?

But can anybody really argue that Kubiak himself has improved? Does anyone yet have any confidence in Kubiak's clock management? Does anyone yet have any confidence in his game preparation? Does anybody yet have any confidence in his ability to make in-game adjustments? Does anybody yet have any confidence that, when the game is on the line, Kubiak will make the right decisions?

The team has improved under Kubiak. The Texans have better, more talented personnel. They're no longer the abomination of a team that they were pre-Kubiak.

But Kubiak is still making the same mistakes he made in his first season. If he's not going to get any better at his job, then why should he be kept around to drag the team down?

these are the teams that haven't made the playoffs since 2002. There's always next year!

Detroit Lions
Buffalo Bills
Houston Texans

Why assume that a replacement can't be found? Is it a complete lack of confidence in Bob McNair's ability to attract a competent and proven head coach? The reasoning that Kubiak should stay because the Texans are unable to bring in a quality coach is depressing. I guess I have more optimism. Maybe that's unfounded, but you can't fire the owner.
44 Kubiak coached games and absolutely zero big wins.

inability to win an important game or have more than 5 wins before week 14 in 3 years and 48 regular season games.

they come out of the bye with the idea that Chris Brown is their best option at HB... Moats looked great at Indy and today yet he couldn't get touches even with Slaton sidelined.

In the off-season, they inexplicably don't address the safety position. So, they are content with Barber, Wilson, and Ferguson as primary backup. We had cap room and also players like Sean Jones available for almost nothing.

still haven't figured out that our current group of OLmen can't run the zone scheme every freakin' play!

Why on earth is Kyle Shanahan more qualified to call plays than Matt Schaub? Schaub's intelligent and knows what he's doing. Instead, they continue to handcuff him.

Richard Smith lasted 3 seasons! that's too long. If you're working with a guy every day for years, it shouldn't take 3 years to realize he's a moron!
Inconsistency with teams are the head coach's responsibility, plain and simple.

What I don't get is, this team can't handle pressure of expectations. If Kubiak comes back next year, do they know how much pressure they will be under? It's going to be insane. If Gary even blinks wrong the fans are going to kill him.

One thing is for certain: It would be difficult to bring in any new assistants, when they know Kubiak is in his last season. So, McNair had better hope none of his assistants decide to retire (like Alex Gibbs) or move on to other club (like baby Shanny following his dad somewhere). It would also be difficult to sign a top free agent, when the coaching situation is unstabilized.

years is a long time period in the NFL. The average NFL career is less than 4 years. Most NFL player contracts are 4 years or less. A team has to be built in less than 4 years, or the players you are building around will be gone. That's just the reality that is the NFL. Great organizations realize this and constantly reload their talent. While winning.

What good is a top 10 YPG offense if it cnt score when the game is on the line?

McDaniels will accomplish something in his first season that Kubiak has failed to in four. It's about results. It's about performance. No one has to judge Kubiak on potential, like a draft prospect. Kubiak has a 4 year track record. And that record clearly show that he has not gotten the job done.
The coach also has to play the players who give them the best opportunity to win. Not take our best player off the field in crunch time like the 1st Jags game and Cardinals game. It would also help if we stopped forcing a square peg into a round hole (I.E. everything having to do with Chris Brown this season. MAYBE our 4th best RB?)

Chris Brown doesn't give us the best chance to win, yet we gave him the ball in crucial situations that contributed to 3 of our losses. That's on the coach for not getting the ball to a better player (like maybe that Andre Johnson guy?)

Lets not forget that we didn't sign Pollard until week 3 when our safety play was some of the worst in NFL history...
You know, it's the same thing EVERY year. We pick up rather meaningless wins in meaningless December games. I don't care that we won this game by 27 points. It doesn't really matter. I'm watching to see if the problems that we have been suffering from all season are getting worked out. And they aren't.

I watch other football teams, that can actually run the ball when they need to. Teams that have balance in their offense. We don't have that. Sure we can beat a 5-7 Seattle team that is injury riddled, and really just bad in almost every facet of the game. But when it comes to beating our division opponents, or just games that we need to win PERIOD, we fail using the same formula almost every time.

But there’s no doubt that Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will join his father Mike, probably in Washington when he returns to coaching next year. Kyle is a very bright coach who will be his father’s offensive coordinator.

Couldn't agree more, in fact, I feel what we saw today was just a continuation of the same old BS. The offense failed to play 4 quarters of football. If our competition had continued to play, we'd have probably seen the typical fold by our team at the end of the game.

Who the hell let's the foot off the gas in the second half like that seriously.. put them away keep your foot on the gas and keep going. Another playing not to lose half by Gary Kubiak, signed by Gary Kubiak..

The Texans are 7-25 against teams with winning records in the Kubiak era.

thunderkyss
11-17-2013, 06:44 PM
I was in the camp for keeping kubiak next year and to see out his contract. but after seeing schuab put back out there.....well i just want to say hi to everyone in this thread :kitten:

I did not expect to see Schaub in the game. When he was in the game... it almost made sense. Keenum wasn't moving the ball. We had no chance to win, unless he made some miraculous play like the TD to Graham & the big play to Andre before that. But if you pull him, that miracle can't happen.

So when Schaub did come into the game, I knew we better win. If we don't win, there couldn't possibly be anyway to explain it. There's no coming back... he signed his resignation. What's he going to say, "Look we were able to move the ball with Matt!!"

So the Fck what. We couldn't score a TD when we needed one. That was just as much a reason to bench Schaub as the pick 6's, INTs, injury... the smart money is on Matt not throwing a TD, Ben Tate's got 4 broken ribs...

There's no way to explain it. None.

Seegara
11-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Moved.

thunderkyss
11-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Kubiak should be fired tonight and Dennison promoted to interim HC for the remainder of the season. I would prefer Sumlin replace him and build a spread offense around Keenum like he did at UofH, but that's a pipe dream.

I agree with the Kubiak being fired tonight. I agree Dennison should be interim HC. Definitely not Wade. 28 points to a rookie undrafted free agent in his first start ever..... pfft.

I don't care about Keenum. Most everybody is looking past his faults but they're getting bigger & bigger to me. I can't see passing on a 1st round QB if Case can't move the ball on the Raiders. 22nd against the pass. & Ben Tate ran pretty well against the 7th ranked run defense.

djohn2oo8
11-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I agree with the Kubiak being fired tonight. I agree Dennison should be interim HC. Definitely not Wade. 28 points to a rookie undrafted free agent in his first start ever..... pfft.

I don't care about Keenum. Most everybody is looking past his faults but they're getting bigger & bigger to me. I can't see passing on a 1st round QB if Case can't move the ball on the Raiders. 22nd against the pass. & Ben Tate ran pretty well against the 7th ranked run defense.

They either need to draft Jake Matthews, or get a pass rusher next to Watt. The draft is deep with QBs. Or possibly trade down for more picks.

dalemurphy
11-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Moved.

Schaub was forcing it to his playmaker. It was not a great decision unless AJ made the play... And, since AJ quit on the route, we will never know.

leebigeztx
11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
I like mike holmgren. He's almost 65 but he's been to 3sbs with 2 teams. He's wco which is cool and he's probably cool with the 3-4. He will also bring some great asst coaches with him especially on the offensive side.

I like cowher a lot too,but I'm worried about him being away from that steelers structure.

leebigeztx
11-17-2013, 07:25 PM
They either need to draft Jake Matthews, or get a pass rusher next to Watt. The draft is deep with QBs. Or possibly trade down for more picks.

Can't pass a qb. Easier to find rts.

amazing80
11-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Can't pass a qb. Easier to find rts.

you get a qb and risk youre defense sucking again

for all cases faukts, he is good enough to win with especially while we fix the rest of our team.

we need a new starter at

lg, rt, nt, olb, ilb, olb, cb, s

good luck filling those and drafting a qb high

eriadoc
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Damn, didn't know there was a Geary guy running things. Gary Kubiak needs to be told immediately.

Mr teX
11-17-2013, 07:32 PM
While we're calling out players, has anyone found out if the texans were successfully able to peel Swearinger up off the turf after Jennings ran him over?

God that was bad.

eriadoc
11-17-2013, 07:33 PM
While we're calling out players, has anyone found out if the texans were successfully able to peel Swearinger up off the turf after Jennings ran him over?

God that was bad.

At least he wasn't hurdled. :kitten:

Mr teX
11-17-2013, 07:36 PM
At least he wasn't hurdled. :kitten:

Probably would've been better if he got hurdled like reed...that might've slowed him down more than swearinger's attempt to make that hit.

thunderkyss
11-17-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm genuinely surprised we haven't heard the announcement yet. I can understand some apprehension because of the stroke, but dragging it out is only going to make it worse.

EllisUnit
11-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Damn, didn't know there was a Geary guy running things. Gary Kubiak needs to be told immediately.

haha i almost said the same thing....funny

nut
11-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't know who Geary is, but I'll take him sight unseen over Gary.

thunderkyss
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM

No way you're going to bring a new regime in here & not take a QB. It's the most important position on the field & we don't have one. If Gary stays, Case has a future here. If they can land Sumlin (which I doubt, Sumlin is going to play out his contract) maybe. Other than that... we're drafting a 1st rounder.

Pollardized
11-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Take this for what it's worth - I have a couple contacts with inside Texans info, was just told by one that the mood at Reliant this afternoon and evening was different that normal after recent losses. Apparently Bob McNair was visibly upset with someone or something, he and Cal and Rick Smith were meeting alone. I've been told that Bob is very high on Keenum, he likes Case and likes the spark he provides and also the way fans follow him. I was told not to be surprised with a firing tomorrow but again my source stressed that was just the thoughts of those at the offices this evening based on the unusual meetings and mood around Kirby. Again this is just what those working this evening felt in the offices...

jaayteetx
11-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Take this for what it's worth - I have a couple contacts with inside Texans info, was just told by one that the mood at Reliant this afternoon and evening was different that normal after recent losses. Apparently Bob McNair was visibly upset with someone or something, he and Cal and Rick Smith were meeting alone. I've been told that Bob is very high on Keenum, he likes Case and likes the spark he provides and also the way fans follow him. I was told not to be surprised with a firing tomorrow but again my source stressed that was just the thoughts of those at the offices this evening based on the unusual meetings and mood around Kirby. Again this is just what those working this evening felt in the offices...

Don't go getting folks hopes up around here now.

mussop
11-17-2013, 08:19 PM
you get a qb and risk youre defense sucking again

for all cases faukts, he is good enough to win with especially while we fix the rest of our team.

we need a new starter at

lg, rt, nt, olb, ilb, olb, cb, s

good luck filling those and drafting a qb high

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

amazing80
11-17-2013, 08:21 PM
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

yea, elaborate. i have all night

MannyFresh
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Don't go getting folks hopes up around here now.

Someone will be fired...maybe Marciano? And the proverbial Kube's reprieve because of his midget stroke?

houstonspartan
11-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Someone will be fired...maybe Marciano? And the proverbial Kube's reprieve because of his midget stroke?

Not going to make fun of a person having a mini-stroke. It could have been serious and I'm glad he's ok.

Now I want him unemployed.

Thorn
11-17-2013, 08:48 PM

http://www.leckman.com/lecture/frankenstein/images/torches.jpg

houstonspartan
11-17-2013, 08:52 PM
http://www.leckman.com/lecture/frankenstein/images/torches.jpg

Lmao! Nice.

silvrhand
11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
LOL we should start a collection for a billboard..

Mr. Texan
11-17-2013, 09:06 PM
LOL we should start a collection for a billboard..

lol do like shaggybevo did and have a banner fly around the stadium :devilpig:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/AronHenry/IMG_3676.jpg

MEGA SWATT
11-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I hope the next coach gets Andy Reid-like results. He's rolling with A. Smith :choke:

SchaubApologist
11-18-2013, 12:21 AM
lol do like shaggybevo did and have a banner fly around the stadium :devilpig:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/AronHenry/IMG_3676.jpg

haha, bob will just close the roof.

*insert head into sand*

SchaubApologist
11-18-2013, 12:21 AM
I hope the next coach gets Andy Reid-like results. He's rolling with A. Smith :choke:

chiefs are such frauds.

they will be exposed come playoff time.

WolverineFan
11-18-2013, 12:38 AM
chiefs are such frauds.

they will be exposed come playoff time.

I agree that they are frauds this year. They haven't beat anybody and were beat soundly tonight, IMO.

That said.....the Chiefs are a QB away from being a SB contender. Reid walked into a fantastic situation there. They have a great defense, a great running game, and a good O-Line.

Reid did a great job upgrading the QB position in the offseason (Brady Quinn/Matt Cassell to Alex Smith) but that took them from struggling team to good team. They won't take the next step until they get better at QB.

Sound familiar?

bckey
11-18-2013, 04:04 AM
People said the same thing about Jeff fisher.

Fisher had 5 years pro experience as a player also and starred at USC. I'm not saying he (Baby Shanny) can't be a good hc but I don't think the situation in Houston is right for a really young first time head coach. The Texans need some serious leadership, direction, and discipline. And do you really want to sign up for Kubiak offense part deaux?

Brandon420tx
11-18-2013, 06:59 AM
We've had a defensive minded coach and an offensive minded coach. I'm hoping for a special teams minded coach.

Then after he gets fired McNair will have experience from all 3 phases of the game and take on a Jerry Jones role

gafftop
11-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Mr. Bob McNair and Cal,

There are many that think you only care about the money. There are many that think you have no clue on how to run a football team. if you really want a winner you need to take action.

I am not sure how it feels to be the owner of the Texans, the biggest disappointment in the NFL, but as a fan of the Texans it really sucks. We have no ability to change what is happening. You on the other hand have complete control to make a change.

Show the fans that you really do want a champion. Clean house including the GM. Understand it does not take forever to start over but it will take longer than forever to have a champion with this front office.

speedfreek
11-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Honestly, if this coach and GM come back next year I think the love affair this city has with the team will be over..

Houston is a fickle market and if the Howard/Hardin combo kicks it into high gear we'll see more clutch-city type hype than love-ya-blu talk..

TJ

Tailgate
11-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Honestly, if this coach and GM come back next year I think the love affair this city has with the team will be over..

Houston is a fickle market and if the Howard/Hardin combo kicks it into high gear we'll see more clutch-city type hype than love-ya-blu talk..

TJ

Duh. This city is in love with winning. Once Texans win again, love will be right back.

Thorn
11-18-2013, 07:47 AM
I think McNair realizes that he can't bring back Kubiak next year. I believe it's just a matter of time before Kubiak is gone. Rick Smith I don't have a gut feeling on, but I honestly would be shocked if Kubiak is back next year, I really would.

So who replaces Kubiak is the question I worry about.

steelbtexan
11-18-2013, 07:57 AM
2012 Champs said BoB doesn't owe the fans anything.

He's unfortunately correct.

The only way to get to BoB is thru his wallet.

chicagotexan2
11-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I think McNair realizes that he can't bring back Kubiak next year. I believe it's just a matter of time before Kubiak is gone. Rick Smith I don't have a gut feeling on, but I honestly would be shocked if Kubiak is back next year, I really would.

So who replaces Kubiak is the question I worry about.

Everything that Kubiak has done this season says should be fired, but I seriously doubt that will happen. I have resisted the urge to jump on the "McNair doesn't care because he's making big money regardless of the teams failure', but I am so dismayed that I don't even know what it will take to force McNair to admit this is a total failure of a team and hire people that know how to win.

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 08:56 AM
We've had a defensive minded coach and an offensive minded coach. I'm hoping for a special teams minded coach.

Then after he gets fired McNair will have experience from all 3 phases of the game and take on a Jerry Jones role

We could try a rugby coach.

Honoring Earl 34
11-18-2013, 09:05 AM

You need to get away from the old school I control the world coach . Bill B is controlling but I bet he doesn't get too much into Brady's business .

amazing80
11-18-2013, 09:53 AM
i think ive come to the conclusion that i want ray horton as our next head coach. everywhere has gone for the last DECADE, his defenses have been stout

IlliniJen
11-18-2013, 10:00 AM
I agree that they are frauds this year. They haven't beat anybody and were beat soundly tonight, IMO.

That said.....the Chiefs are a QB away from being a SB contender. Reid walked into a fantastic situation there. They have a great defense, a great running game, and a good O-Line.

Reid did a great job upgrading the QB position in the offseason (Brady Quinn/Matt Cassell to Alex Smith) but that took them from struggling team to good team. They won't take the next step until they get better at QB.

Sound familiar?

They're probably a QB and a receiver or two away from a SB. Sounds VERY familiar. I wonder if they're going to have an utterly shameful meltdown a year or two from now.

Going into the DEN-KC game yesterday, the teams had a combined 1 win against teams with a winning record. Meaning Denver and KC have been playing some pretty crappy teams to be where they're both at this year. Although I think Denver is more legit than KC right now. KC is just a fraud waiting to be exposed.

Hervoyel
11-18-2013, 10:02 AM
bring it back

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/323/firekub.jpg

Oh it's back. It's been back but now it's back until he's gone.

Lo there do I see Dom Capers, Lo there do I see Gary Kubiak, their players and their assistant coaches , Lo there do I see the line of Houston Texans, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call us wishy-washy fans out, they bid us take our place among them, in the halls of Reliant Stadium, on the brown grass trays, where the mediocre may coach and play forever!

:kubepalm:

silvrhand
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Oh it's back. It's been back but now it's back until he's gone.

Lo there do I see Dom Capers, Lo there do I see Gary Kubiak, their players and their assistant coaches , Lo there do I see the line of Houston Texans, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call us wishy-washy fans out, they bid us take our place among them, in the halls of Reliant Stadium, on the brown grass trays, where the mediocre may coach and play forever!

:kubepalm:

http://www.runewebvitki.com/13thWarrior.jpg

gafftop
11-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Hard to hurt McNair financially when most of seats are season tickets.

The only way to show displeasure is to BUY NOTHING while in stadium.
There are water fountains if you are thirsty. I don't think can bring in food but you may be able to bring in an empty water bottle. If you go to game do not buy anything.

We only have two home games remaining.

TejasTom
11-18-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/gary.jpg

htowntexans1985
11-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Sean McDermott. Carolina's defensive coordinator.

Brisco_County
11-18-2013, 01:12 PM
From a business perspective, Keenum has the value of built-in customer loyalty in Houston. For that reason alone, Bob would want Keenum starting during a losing season. If the team can't win, at least the fans can cheer on the hometown hero. Kubiak doesn't appreciate that reason, so now there's a broader schism between him and the owner. Despite what move would actually improve the win/loss record, benching Keenum right now will be enough to get Kubiak fired.

The best marketing move that Bob can make right now is to assure fans that Keenum will start if they show up to root for him.

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Sam Winters from the ESU Timberwolves

djohn2oo8
11-18-2013, 01:45 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/johngranato

Posting from phone. Consensus isbKubiak has to go

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Not sure how much water this holds, but thought I'd share anyways

John Granato ‏@johngranato 52m
Bob McNair called a meeting for minority owners. Consensus: Kubiak has to go. They weren't sure about Rick Smith. Will he listen to them?

SchaubApologist
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Full Tweet:

Bob McNair called a meeting for minority owners. Consensus: Kubiak has to go. They weren't sure about Rick Smith. Will he listen to them?

this part scares me. sounds like they are too cheap to eat the 3yrs left on his contract.

Thorn
11-18-2013, 01:49 PM
How do we know this guy has any useful info?

JCTexan
11-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Not sure how much water this holds, but thought I'd share anyways

So fire Kubiak now and wait for the off-season to make the decision on Rick Smith. How often do GM's get fired midseason?

JamesBill
11-18-2013, 01:51 PM

I doubt he would tweet pure conjecture. Plus he obviously knows some people in Houston with serious money.

SchaubApologist
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM

it's from john granato. he's connected.

SCOTTexans
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Its about that time....

BigBull
11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Can only hope and pray Bob listens to them.

Sent from the future...

Vance87
11-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I doubt he would tweet pure conjecture. Plus he obviously knows some people in Houston with serious money.

Yes, no one on Twitter, or the internet for that matter, has ever posted pure conjecture before.

:kitten:

Uncle Rico
11-18-2013, 01:57 PM
It's happening! It's happening!

infantrycak
11-18-2013, 01:57 PM
it's from john granato. he's connected.

This report may very well be true but huh? When has Granato been a wellspring of information? The guy barely has a passing knowledge of football.

Surreal McCoy
11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Full Tweet:

this part scares me. sounds like they are too cheap to eat the 3yrs left on his contract.

Exactly. No point in clearing out the kitchen if you leave the head chef in place.

JCTexan
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
It's happening! It's happening!

I'm going to wait until it's official before getting excited.

Bulls on Parade
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
So Gary Kubiak is going to take the fall for this season? I really feel Rick Smith, above all, is the problem. He's done a poor job managing the salary cap - overpaying players to long-term contracts who either underperformed (Schaub) or have lingering and unlucky health concerns (Foster, Cushing). Add to that, we may have dropped the ball in the last draft. I'm not seeing a lot of positive returns with the exception of D.J. Swearinger (the kid has promise), but even DeAndre Hopkins has been disappointing after a big Week 2 against the Titans.

Shaft75
11-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Leaks are springing all over the place from the organization that had some pretty well insulated pipes.

Change is upon us!

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 02:00 PM
This report may very well be true but huh? When has Granato been a wellspring of information? The guy barely has a passing knowledge of football.

I thought the same thing. That's why I questioned how much water it held when I posted it in the Kubiak thread, which is probably where it should be imo

qqert
11-18-2013, 02:01 PM
time to get it done, McNair.

Rey
11-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Good. It's about time.

And for those saying McNair is racist, a minority owners meeting disproves that...

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Good. It's about time.

And for those saying McNair is racist, a minority owners meeting disproves that...

+Rep. Nice one

Vinnie

You don't need a passing knowledge of football to be a reporter, just well connected. John has always been that way. I remember him mentioning Crane making a run for the Astros way before it was ever official.

Dutchrudder
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gif

infantrycak
11-18-2013, 02:06 PM
You don't need a passing knowledge of football to be a reporter, just well connected. John has always been that way. I remember him mentioning Crane making a run for the Astros way before it was ever official.

I guess I had to state the obvious - ON FOOTBALL. Having Astros connections means nothing for any other sport.

Mr. White
11-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Full Tweet:

Wow...and to think I was just kidding when I posted this today.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2252990&postcount=121

Looks to me like the "woe is me" fans still remember the Oilers years pretty well. If I'm right, then we see a lot of similarities between the bad soap opera that is this season and can compare it to pretty much all of their seasons.

Most years were bad, but even during the good years, our drunk idiot of an owner fired good coaches, traded good players, and hired coaches that punch each other during games. The owner we have now gets worse results using just the opposite tactic. This guy needs to call a board meeting and waits for the quarterly stockholder vote before he'll get rid of bad players or can bad coaches.

Oiler fans always knew the other shoe was going to drop. We knew the Oilers would always choke in the playoffs just like we knew Kubiak would defy common sense and put Schab back in at some point. Within the scope of Houston sports history, there's been more bad years than good. This season is just a return to form in epic fail fashion.

Make no mistake, there is some Oiler-style drama going on this season. Can't wait to see what the seaon-ending cliffhanger's going to be.

If this is what the meeting's about, then I wonder how many other NFL owners do it this way. My guess is zero.

djohn2oo8
11-18-2013, 02:19 PM
John Granto twitter

Getting a bunch of ? abt McNair's meeting with minority owners. Wanted their opinion on team. They want Kubiak out. Undecided on Smith.

@sportsmediaLM Yes. Doesn't mean he'll fire him but it's what they told him.

@gsanchez82 @getnickwright @StephStradley Yes it's true.

https://twitter.com/johngranato

drs23
11-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Good. It's about time.

cstyle does not believe you. :kitten: :kitten:

TheIronDuke
11-18-2013, 02:32 PM
cstyle does not believe you. :kitten: :kitten:

God forbid they fire Rick Smith as that'll only prove McNair's racist agenda.

DBCooper
11-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Fire everyone and let god sort them out!

Honoring Earl 34
11-18-2013, 02:41 PM
God forbid they fire Rick Smith as that'll only prove McNair's racist agenda.

The minority owners won't let that happen .

http://www.counter-currents.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/live-and-let-die-3.jpg

Rey
11-18-2013, 02:45 PM
The minority owners won't let that happen .

http://www.counter-currents.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/live-and-let-die-3.jpg

Exactly.

Dead set on kubiak being gone.

Wishy-washy on smith....

:thinking:

Vinnie
11-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I guess I had to state the obvious - ON FOOTBALL. Having Astros connections means nothing for any other sport.

Then I guess I need to point out the obvious, he's a SPORTS reporter.

TheMatrix31
11-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't get this "we can only hope for it to be true" crap. Kubiak is getting fired. That much is clear. Nobody loses 8 games in a row and keeps their job. Even if we won the last six games to finish 8-8, Kubiak will be gone.

Use your brains.

djohn2oo8
11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't get this "we can only hope for it to be true" crap. Kubiak is getting fired. That much is clear. Nobody loses 8 games in a row and keeps their job. Even if we won the last six games to finish 8-8, Kubiak will be gone.

Use your brains.

Yeah but we want him gone today :doot:

amazing80
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
isnt there a press conference on mondays at 3 usually?

Hervoyel
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
I've wanted to see Rick Smith gone along with Kubiak but to be honest I don't think that's necessarily a "must have" right out of the gate.

Before I would say that I'd like to see in what way (if in any way) Smith conducts the teams business without Kubiak's input. What do things look like with Rick Smith as his own man?

Right now we don't like him because of some of the moves the Texans have made but at the same time we don't know what prompted those moves or from where they originated. We make a lot of noise about how in this organization the head coach hired the GM and how that's backwards. Lets see what happens when the GM is freed from that connection.

It may very well come out to be the same situation and he may have to go in the end but I'd be willing to see what a year of new HC plus Rick Smith as GM (but knowing that he's on notice) looks like if it meant finally getting rid of Gary and Garyball.

Hervoyel
11-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Good. It's about time.

msr. good one.

Honoring Earl 34
11-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I've wanted to see Rick Smith gone along with Kubiak but to be honest I don't think that's necessarily a "must have" right out of the gate.

Before I would say that I'd like to see in what way (if in any way) Smith conducts the teams business without Kubiak's input. What do things look like with Rick Smith as his own man?

Right now we don't like him because of some of the moves the Texans have made but at the same time we don't know what prompted those moves or from where they originated. We make a lot of noise about how in this organization the head coach hired the GM and how that's backwards. Lets see what happens when the GM is freed from that connection.

It may very well come out to be the same situation and he may have to go in the end but I'd be willing to see what a year of new HC plus Rick Smith as GM (but knowing that he's on notice) looks like if it meant finally getting rid of Gary and Garyball.

If Smith stays my money is on Sumlin coming . Why ... Sumlin was at Purdue from 1983-86 and Smith was there right after .

Hervoyel
11-18-2013, 03:16 PM
If Smith stays my money is on Sumlin coming . Why ... Sumlin was at Purdue from 1983-86 and Smith was there right after .

May very well be. I have no real problem with that and I'm not saying that I particularly want Smith to stay. I'm just saying if Gary out the door and Rick on a short lease is the best I can get then I'm in. I just think that short leash has to be real. No waiting 5 more years or some BS to make sure that works.

amazing80
11-18-2013, 03:17 PM
isnt there a press conference on mondays at 3 usually?

anyone?

Honoring Earl 34
11-18-2013, 03:19 PM
anyone?

I think it's 3:00 or 3:30 .

Thorn
11-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Said it once, I'll say it again. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not that I don't hope Kubiak is outa here though.

amazing80
I think it's 3:00 or 3:30 .

i thought so, either there isnt one or they arent showing it live.....

HOU-TEX
anyone?

3:30 CT

Here http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/LIVE-Gary-Kubiak-press-conference/455264ff-a245-4b38-b70b-e40fe73f694c

amazing80
11-18-2013, 03:22 PM
3:30 CT

Here http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/LIVE-Gary-Kubiak-press-conference/455264ff-a245-4b38-b70b-e40fe73f694c

looky there lol, i couldnt find it....it use to show up on the main page...oh well thanks

amazing80
11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
itd be so awesome if smith walked out there and said they fired gary

HOU-TEX
11-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Case will start this Sunday

speedfreek
11-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Almost sounds like he is about to cry. Honestly, this job
might be too much for his health concers right now.

I like the guy as a person, and it's hard to hear this..

TJ

DexmanC
11-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Sounds like he's gonna start Case to avoid a player revolt. He wants to put Schaub in there so bad.

Marcus
11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Sounds like he's gonna start Case to avoid a player revolt. He wants to put Schaub in there so bad.

:rolleyes:

Texian
11-18-2013, 04:49 PM
First time I have heard the "I'm the Coach and you're not" attitude.

TexansFTW
11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Sorry if this has already been said, I didn't read all 11 pages.

What if we hired Kevin Sumlin as our new coach...

Then, how weird would it be if/when we get a top 10 pick and we use it on Manziel (assuming Case doesn't work out). We would have a rebuilt NFL team with Sumlin's last 2 protege QBs on it to get started with.

JCTexan
11-18-2013, 04:58 PM
First time I have heard the "I'm the Coach and you're not" attitude.

Yeah, I heard that from him too. The question I would have asked him: "Are you saying you saw no benefit in getting Keenum some in-game experience in the hurry up offense?" It just makes no sense not to see what Keenum could do in a hurry up since he ran it pretty commonly at UH.

mussop
11-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Sean McDermott. Carolina's defensive coordinator.

I was just thinking about that as I watched MNF.

rmartin65
11-18-2013, 10:07 PM
NE's DC intrigues me. Not saying that he is the guy, but I would probably bring him in for an interview.

GuerillaBlack
11-19-2013, 07:12 AM
What do people think about Nick Saban? Could he pull a Pete Carrol and do better his second time around?

htowntexans1985
11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
What do people think about Nick Saban? Could he pull a Pete Carrol and do better his second time around?

Saban in no way shape or form will ever leave Alabama. They worship the ground he walks on over their. And he just got a fat raise.

Hervoyel
11-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Saban in no way shape or form will ever leave Alabama. They worship the ground he walks on over their. And he just got a fat raise.

This. Saban is This Close || to having "The Bear" climb up out of his grave and anoint him the chosen one. One more national championship and I'm heading for Tuscaloosa to see it happen.

Grams
11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
NE's DC intrigues me. Not saying that he is the guy, but I would probably bring him in for an interview.

Does New England even have a defense?

GuerillaBlack
11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Lmao, you aren't even allowed to talk about other coaches in the bullpen section at the "official" boards. I just got a 50 pt infraction from "dbruder44".

Originally Posted by dbruder44 Please NOTE the 10 page thread in the NFL section (Who do you want as our next coach) Please place you coaching replacement thoughts there, we will not tolerate continued disregard for the TEXANS Only rule in the bullpen regarding Kubiack and the next few days, weeks, months or years. Until the Texans publically express interest in other coaching candidate their names are to not be in the bullpen.

rmartin65
11-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Does New England even have a defense?
Matt Patricia
Has called defensive plays since 2010
9th in points per game allowed last year, 7th this year

Since moving to coach the Patriots on defense in 2006, the team has finished in the top-10 in fewest points allowed in six of his seven seasons coaching on defense. Patricia has also helped the Patriots lead the NFL in turnover differential in 2012 (+25) and 2010 (+28) and finished first in the AFC in 2011 (+17). The plus-28 turnover differential in 2010 is tied with the 2011 San Francisco 49ers for second highest single-season differential in the NFL since 1970.

http://www.patriots.com/team/coaches/matt-patricia/462479c0-64da-493e-b84b-99a7ae6f6735

FirstTexansFan
11-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Lmao, you aren't even allowed to talk about other coaches in the bullpen section at the "official" boards. I just got a 50 pt infraction from "dbruder44".

^^^Fixed :)

powda
11-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Who's denvers oc? Pep Hamilton I believe...him or Sumlin. Though the "Texas angle" might not work the way we'd like if dallas cans Garrett.

Read a solid article on potential firings vs coaching prospects. And the firings could all be big market locations or places with history on their side.

Ny g
Ny j
Wash
Dallas

I think we're gonna have 2 pay a ransom to get who we want.

amazing80
11-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Who's denvers oc? Pep Hamilton I believe...him or Sumlin. Though the "Texas angle" might not work the way we'd like if dallas cans Garrett.

Read a solid article on potential firings vs coaching prospects. And the firings could all be big market locations or places with history on their side.

Ny g
Ny j
Wash
Dallas

i dont want anyone associated with manning, too hard to judge their actual ability with a manning led offense. i still like ray horton. the guy who led the steelers secondary to super bowls, who transformed the cardinals defense into a good one and now who took the browns defense to the next level....id love to see what he can do as hc for our defense

that means we need an up and comer for oc though

Hervoyel
11-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Ny g
Ny j
Wash
Dallas

I'm sure it's a challenge that the 5th most valuable team in the NFL is up to.

DX-TEX
11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sUHuY16.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/538/731/0fc.gif

infantrycak
11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Who's denvers oc? Pep Hamilton I believe..

i dont want anyone associated with manning, too hard to judge their actual ability with a manning led offense.

Pep Hamilton is Indy's OC and comes to the NFL from Stanford HC after Harbaugh.

Adam Gase is Denver's OC this year.

bckey
11-19-2013, 11:54 AM
i dont want anyone associated with manning, too hard to judge their actual ability with a manning led offense. i still like ray horton. the guy who led the steelers secondary to super bowls, who transformed the cardinals defense into a good one and now who took the browns defense to the next level....id love to see what he can do as hc for our defense

that means we need an up and comer for oc though

I like Horton also. I had him listed in the original thread but I have no idea where that is. This thread broke off of that one somewhere along the way after being moved around. But I'm with you on Horton. He seems to get a lot out of his players.

powda
11-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Opps...yeah your right.

Really I just want a badazz for a coach...this lets be everyone's best friend bs doesnt work. I want a coach who will lose a gasket when necessary and make the players pee themselves. If we have to get another "aww shucks" hc at least gimme a badazz coordinator.

I'd prefer an offensive hc personally.

DBCooper
11-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Pay whatever it takes to get Cowher.

amazing80
11-19-2013, 01:28 PM

:fingergun: oops.....i knew i remembered his name....i will also add, i dont want anyone who made their career off Luck....same as Manning

BUT david shaw intrigues me because his offense is still great without luck.

amazing80
11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I like Horton also. I had him listed in the original thread but I have no idea where that is. This thread broke off of that one somewhere along the way after being moved around. But I'm with you on Horton. He seems to get a lot out of his players.

they merged it with this one and then recreated it i think......:thisbig:

horton has been gold this decade and with offenses becoming more and more creative, i think we need a hc who can keep our defense on pace

NastyNate
11-19-2013, 02:17 PM
This was just forwarded to me, not sure of the source but hopefully we'll hear something concrete soon.

https://twitter.com/johngranato/statuses/402510612699545600#

Mr teX
11-19-2013, 02:22 PM
oh ****.....dude don't get my hopes up.....please

Vance87
11-19-2013, 02:24 PM

His moderation is out of control. A big reason why I've stopped posting so much over there.

phantom17
11-19-2013, 02:25 PM
oh ****.....dude don't get my hopes up.....please

No kidding! I hope this is true!

Carr Bombed
I told y'all he was a goner... his only hope to stay on was the development of Keenum. When he pulled the plug on him Sunday he looked completey indecisive and incompetent and he ended up pulling the plug on his life support. The outburst of Andre pretty much sealed his fate as well.

See ya later Kubes.

Vance87
I think this was already posted.

JCTexan
11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
There was a thread on this yesterday. I believe it got merged with the "All encompassing fire Kubiak" thread..

HOU-TEX
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
I think I might've just had a deja vous

Hervoyel
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
"Lard Monkey" over at the Chronic also repeated a couple of times today in his weekly chat session (which I will never understand the appeal of.... and yet there I was following it. Someone help me! Please?) that this meeting did not happen. He claims that he checked with three minority owners (who will go unnamed) and that all of them deny that any meeting was held.

Pollardized
11-19-2013, 02:28 PM
LMAO.... this is so yesterday!

drs23
11-19-2013, 02:31 PM
There was a thread on this yesterday. I believe it got merged with the "All encompassing fire Kubiak" thread..

Yeah. Old not news. To the bolded: Same place this will/should end up.

Pollardized
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM
"Lard Monkey" over at the Chronic also repeated a couple of times today in his weekly chat session (which I will never understand the appeal of.... and yet there I was following it. Someone help me! Please?) that this meeting did not happen. He claims that he checked with three minority owners (who will go unnamed) and that all of them deny that any meeting was held.

Lard Monkey is such a douche isn't he? Like, ok, I'm a minority owner in the Houston Texans, and some ahole reporter asks me if I just had a meeting and said I wanted the head coach fired. I am 100% certain my response will not be "Yes, John McCrispyCreme, I did have a meeting with Bob McNair and tell him I want Kubiaverage fired."

Dutchrudder
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah, we had a thread on this yesterday, but it was merged into something unrelated and lost in the shuffle. I don't think Kubiak will be fired during the season, because we don't have a potential "HC in waiting." There are no special coordinators on this team that look like potential HC candidates, so we might as well let Kubiak drive the team bus off a cliff. I still say the only way we clean house completely is with more losses, so I'm hoping we continue to fail.

TheIronDuke
11-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah, we had a thread on this yesterday, but it was merged into something unrelated and lost in the shuffle. I don't think Kubiak will be fired during the season, because we don't have a potential "HC in waiting." There are no special coordinators on this team that look like potential HC candidates, so we might as well let Kubiak drive the team bus off a cliff. I still say the only way we clean house completely is with more losses, so I'm hoping we continue to fail.

I don't know about that, I think we're under-utilizing Marciano and I'd be very interested to see what kind of magic he could work as the HC. :fingergun:

NastyNate
11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah. Old not news. To the bolded: Same place this will/should end up.

Why? Are we paying out the nose for bandwidth for one more thread? A lot of people didn't see it, myself included. You keep merging threads and info gets lost in the shuffle. Especially with updates on a different level than "I want kubiak gone!"

kiwitexansfan
11-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I vote that for the rest of the season a fan at random gets pulled out of the crowd gets handed the Denny's menu and told to call the plays.

Coach? Who needs a coach?

JCTexan
11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Why? Are we paying out the nose for bandwidth for one more thread? A lot of people didn't see it, myself included. You keep merging threads and info gets lost in the shuffle. Especially with updates on a different level than "I want kubiak gone!"

Except there have been no updates and won't be until Mcnair decides to fire Kubiak. At that point I would imagine a couple new threads would be started..

NCTexan
11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I vote that for the rest of the season a fan at random gets pulled out of the crowd gets handed the Denny's menu and told to call the plays.

Coach? Who needs a coach?

Pick me! Pick me!

I've played Madden!

Brisco_County
11-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Can this guy cite sources? Has he built any credibility through past reports?

CretorFrigg
11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Knowing our luck, McNair's going to wait until the end of the season to fire Kubiak. Kubiak is suddenly going to pull a miracle and win out almost the rest of his games this season. McNair gives Kubiak a second chance, extends him for another 10 years, and Kubiak proceeds to suck once again.

DX-TEX
11-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Can this guy cite sources? Has he built any credibility through past reports?

Been a reporter here for years. Legit