PDA

View Full Version : If you were JJ Watt, would you stay?

AndyWin
11-10-2013, 08:44 PM
It must be so frustrating for him to single handedly carry this defense and make big play after big play after big play only to lose 7 straight games. Watch our secondary make bonehaded plays & mistakes every week. Watch our offense not make the big play when it's needed.

He's gonna go to a contender right? No way he stays in Houston. :(

Bulls on Parade
11-10-2013, 08:46 PM
We're in position to select a dominating defensive player with our first-round draft pick in 2014. We may soon add another force up front to take some pressure off of Watt. I think he'll stay long term. We're going to be a great team again in 2014. All we have to do is add more young talent around him on the defensive side of the ball.

Trap_Star
11-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Why are people worried about this NOW? he's still under our control for at least 2 years.

Who's to say he doesn't see "change" coming just like the fanbase?

AndyWin
11-10-2013, 08:48 PM
We're in position to select a dominating defensive player with our first-round draft pick in 2014. We may soon add another force up front to take some pressure off of Watt. I think he'll stay long term. We're going to be a great team again in 2014. All we have to do is add more young talent around him on the defensive side of the ball.

Lol what makes you think we'll be a great team "again"? Our special teams is atrocious and Marciano is riding a free ride. Our secondary makes huge mistakes every week whether it's a penalty or a missed coverage for long TDs. Our O-Line has looked awful. Our young QB can't read the blitz and would rather gamble deep than move the chains. Our #1 RB is having BACK surgery. The only promise on this team is at D-Line...

DX-TEX
11-10-2013, 08:50 PM
This is a dumb question. He CAN NOT go anywhere!

Under contract another year, then a team option year under contract, then two years of possible franchise tag.

Rey
11-10-2013, 08:51 PM
He has no choice, but if my goal was to win a Super Bowl, I would not stay if this regime was brought back.

Bulls on Parade
11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Lol what makes you think we'll be a great team "again"? Our special teams is atrocious and Marciano is riding a free ride. Our secondary makes huge mistakes every week whether it's a penalty or a missed coverage for long TDs. Our O-Line has looked awful. Our young QB can't read the blitz and would rather gamble deep than move the chains. Our #1 RB is having BACK surgery. The only promise on this team is at D-Line...
We barely lost the last three games, to three teams that will probably make the playoffs, by a combined seven points. Those three games are likely wins with a healthy Arian Foster and Brian Cushing.

Not to mention if we can add a reliable kicker in the off-season. We may be 2-7 but I see plenty of great opportunities for the Texans to become a playoff contender again going into next season. All we need is a good draft and a couple important players coming back healthy.

Seegara
11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
As soon as he's a free agent, he'll be gone. It's plain to see JJ cares about winning. He won't stay with a franchise that has no chance to succeed.

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Love JJ, but, he'll be gone. And, for his sake, I want him to go. He wants to win a ring. He can't waste his career here waiting for it to happen.

As for money, he will get paid no matter where he goes. His profile is national. Money will not be an issue.

As I said before, McNair, at some point, will have to choose between JJ and Kubiak.

JJ will not stay.

Kaiser Toro
11-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes, if I was JJ Watt I would honor my contract and right the ship.

RTP2110
11-10-2013, 09:20 PM
We have 2 years to get things right. I just can't comprehend how you have JJ Watt on your team, and noone else can take advantage of his presence.

TheIronDuke
11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I can imagine JJ watches AJ who's given his career to this sh!tty franchise and has made up his mind that he doesn't want it to go like that. I think JJ should leave this crappy team and I would too. It sucks that I'm a fan so I'm kind of stuck with them but JJ is not.

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:25 PM
We have 2 years to get things right. I just can't comprehend how you have JJ Watt on your team, and noone else can take advantage of his presence.

Have we taken advantage of Andre Johnson?

Trap_Star
11-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Love JJ, but, he'll be gone. And, for his sake, I want him to go. He wants to win a ring. He can't waste his career here waiting for it to happen.

As for money, he will get paid no matter where he goes. His profile is national. Money will not be an issue.

As I said before, McNair, at some point, will have to choose between JJ and Kubiak.

JJ will not stay.

I have no doubt JJ will be the next Andre Johnson to this team. The only team i can legitimately see him leaving to is the GB Packers, even then I just can't see him up and leaving. he has entrenched himself to the city, not just the team. Kubiak will NOT be here in 2 years.

Mr. Texan
11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
If i was Watt i would stay. Who cares about rings? Get that max contract. Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M. Get the money; dolla, dolla bill yall. :)

Gotta Know
11-10-2013, 09:36 PM
This is a dumb question. He CAN NOT go anywhere!

Under contract another year, then a team option year under contract, then two years of possible franchise tag.

The ill-will from that would permeate the organization for years to come. There wouldn't be a single good player willing to sign with the Texans.

FWIW: JJ will play his heart out for this team while under contract but he will not be here after his rookie contract unless he believes the team has a chance at the Super Bowl. It's just the way he's wired.

Trap_Star
People take his unwillingness to accept failure as a sign that he's itching to quit. That's not the kind of person i sense he is. He's blue collar, work hard all the way.

In fact, we need more players and coaches with the same attitude. I'm tired of hearing the same bull**** after every loss for the last 11 years.

"we just gotta continue to work and get better" blah, blah, blah. so sick of that. Give me 53 players that hate losing more than they enjoy winning.

awc713
dumbest thread i've seen in a while. no reason to think watt doesn't love htown.

we had a down year. so what. he's not hitting the market for a long time, and we'll lock him up way before that ever happens.

watt will be a texan for life.

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I have no doubt JJ will be the next Andre Johnson to this team. The only team i can legitimately see him leaving to is the GB Packers, even then I just can't see him up and leaving. he has entrenched himself to the city, not just the team. Kubiak will NOT be here in 2 years.

Why wouldn't he leave?

Ok, he likes the city. So?

JJ is a nice guy, but he wants a ring. Say that slowly: He. Wants. A. Ring.

How do you know if Kubiak won't be here in two years?

I'm guessing we're stuck with Kubiak for another 10 years, or until Kubiak wants to leave on his own.

Why should JJ put up with that?

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:41 PM
People take his unwillingness to accept failure as a sign that he's itching to quit. That's not the kind of person i sense he is. He's blue collar, work hard all the way.

In fact, we need more players and coaches with the same attitude. I'm tired of hearing the same bull**** after every loss for the last 11 years.

"we just gotta continue to work and get better" blah, blah, blah. so sick of that. Give me 53 players that hate losing more than they enjoy winning.

He's not itching to quit. I'm just saying he wants a ring, and that he will eventually realize he can't waste his career like Andre.

Nothing wrong with that.

Trap_Star
11-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Why wouldn't he leave?

Ok, he likes the city. So?

JJ is a nice guy, but he wants a ring. Say that slowly: He. Wants. A. Ring.

How do you know if Kubiak won't be here in two years?

I'm guessing we're stuck with Kubiak for another 10 years, or until Kubiak wants to leave on his own.

Why should JJ put up with that?

So AJ doesn't want a ring? Duane Brown?

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:44 PM
dumbest thread i've seen in a while. no reason to think watt doesn't love htown.

we had a down year. so what. he's not hitting the market for a long time, and we'll lock him up way before that ever happens.

That's what I thought up until 2 months ago.

How do we know if JJ will LET US lock him up before his contract is up?

If you really liked JJ, you'd want him to go be the top player he wants to be.

No one is saying he doesn't love Houston. He likes it. But the guy really wants to be a top-notch NFL defensive player, and wants to be known as one of the best, and wants a ring, so that will override any "love" of Houston.

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:46 PM
So AJ doesn't want a ring? Duane Brown?

Sure, AJ wants a ring. But it has not happened.

JJ is much earlier in his career than AJ. If JJ were smart, he'd be looking at AJ and thinking: I want more than that.

That's not a knock against AJ. I love AJ. Just being real about the realities of wasting a career at an NFL team that never progresses.

Gotta Know
11-10-2013, 09:49 PM

I'm sure he loves H-Town but not to the point of giving up his dreams. Never once heard him mention generating massive wealth as a primary goal.

He left Central Michigan (a school he really like) to walk on at Wisconsin because he realized the move would help him attain his goals.

Why wouldn't he make a similar decision to leave the Texans if they can't help him get that Super Bowl ring.

Trap_Star
11-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Sure, AJ wants a ring. But it has not happened.

JJ is much earlier in his career than AJ. If JJ were smart, he'd be looking at AJ and thinking: I want more than that.

That's not a knock against AJ. I love AJ. Just being real about the realities of wasting a career at an NFL team that never progresses.

You're predicting the future, yet asking how we know Kubiak will or will not be here in the future? naughty, naughty.

If JJ desperately needs a ring right now like you say, i can send him some he could use on his lady friend during coitus.

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm sure he loves H-Town but not to the point of giving up his dreams. Never once heard him mention generating massive wealth as a primary goal.

He left Central Michigan (a school he really like) to walk on at Wisconsin because he realized the move would help him attain his goals.

Why wouldn't he make a similar decision to leave the Texans if they can't help him get that Super Bowl ring.

Correct. Just zapped you some REP.

And at this point, he's built such a national profile, that he's going to get paid regardless of where he goes. So why not go to a team that's a contender?

Gotta Know
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Reggie White moved to the Packers based partially on his perception that it would not only give him wealth but also a good chance at winning a Super Bowl.

JJ knows Reggie's story. Houston best think twice if they believe signing Watt long term is a done deal.

Trap_Star
11-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Reggie White moved to the Packers based partially on his perception that it would not only give him wealth but also a good chance at winning a Super Bowl.

JJ knows Reggie's story. Houston best think twice if they believe signing Watt long term is a done deal.

lol the packers were garbage before reggie signed...they just happened to be the team that offered the most. lucky for him, a certain #4 turned into the gunsliging, little pecker pic sending son of a gun.

Gotta Know
11-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes they weren't great but Reggie stated many times that he met with the management and Brett.

He liked the vibe and felt they were on their way to doing good things.

Reggie White didn't take the Packers to Super Bowl on his own. He knew he needed help. Just like JJ.

cstyle42
11-10-2013, 10:11 PM

If special teams and offensive line doesn't get fixed we won't. If Kubiak is still here we won't. Bob Mcnair has to step up.

Texecutioner
11-10-2013, 10:25 PM
JJ Watt will do what he thinks is best for him. If his goal first and foremost is to win a SB, then his decision will be affected more towards that goal. If Kubiak is still here, he is most likely gone and I wouldn't blame him one bit. I'd wish him luck.

Jackie Chiles
11-10-2013, 10:46 PM
This is such a nice little pity party I hesitate to crash it but anyone who thinks we are letting the best defensive player in football go is crazy. He will be franchised until the end of time or he will sign a long-term deal. His agent is not an idiot, JJ likes the city and his first two years here we won the AFC South. So the ceiling came crashing down on this coaching staff/previous QB, we still have an excellent owner and I would bet JJ is locked up well before we even know if the next regime is worth a lick. This isn't the NBA people, players don't team up like the Miami Heat.

Texan4Ever
11-10-2013, 10:49 PM
JJ doesn't seem to be that type of guy. IMO guys like him, AJ, Owen Daniels, etc care about this team and city and are the leaders and role models the younger guys look up to. I would be shocked if JJ left considering how much of an impact he has on this team + no guarantees your success will follow.

steelbtexan
11-10-2013, 10:52 PM
It depends on 2 things

1. Who BoB hires to lead the team
2. A truckload full of $$$$

Vinny
11-10-2013, 10:53 PM
it would blow to lose him to the Packers. He could be the next Reggie White.

Norg
11-10-2013, 11:26 PM
how long has he been here he has no choice he has to stay here for 4 years ..........!!!!!!!!! LOL we will tag his ass LOL

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 11:34 PM
This is such a nice little pity party I hesitate to crash it but anyone who thinks we are letting the best defensive player in football go is crazy. He will be franchised until the end of time or he will sign a long-term deal. His agent is not an idiot, JJ likes the city and his first two years here we won the AFC South. So the ceiling came crashing down on this coaching staff/previous QB, we still have an excellent owner and I would bet JJ is locked up well before we even know if the next regime is worth a lick. This isn't the NBA people, players don't team up like the Miami Heat.

Are you drunk?

Franchised until the end of time? What does that even mean?

If his agent is smart, he's telling JJ, right this minute, to start thinking about other teams.

JJ likes the city. So what? There's a lot of cities to like.

He will get paid regardless.

As I have said: Bob McNair will have to chose between Kubiak and JJ. Personally, I'd chose JJ and let Kubiak walk; but, indications are that we're stuck with Kubiak for many years to come, so, I wish JJ luck and I will follow him and wish him well.

JJ Watt has an agent, managers, a marketing team and friends and family all telling him that, with his national endorsements, he can go anywhere, get paid, and STILL win a Super Bowl.

He does not have to stay in Houston to be liked.

Brisco_County
11-10-2013, 11:41 PM
JJ has played in four playoff games with this team in 2.5 seasons. He knows that teams have down years. Look at New York, Atlanta, or the Colts two years ago. Bad seasons happen. Every player knows that.

That said, there are teams that players may be reluctant to play for. They are the Raiders, Bills, Jacksonville, and Cleveland.

PockyAF
11-10-2013, 11:42 PM
why the **** not?

If you were Watt than you only had to endure one **** season.

houstonspartan
11-10-2013, 11:52 PM
JJ has played in four playoff games with this team in 2.5 seasons. He knows that teams have down years. Look at New York, Atlanta, or the Colts two years ago. Bad seasons happen. Every player knows that.

That said, there are teams that players may be reluctant to play for. They are the Raiders, Bills, Jacksonville, and Cleveland.

And then there are the teams that many players would like to play for. New England, San Fran and New Orleans come to mind.

If you don't think Bill Belichick is already mentally plotting a way to get JJ Watt in a few years, you are kidding yourself.

mattieuk
11-11-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't think that he wants to leave. However whoever is organising at draft time ahould be sitting down with JJ and saying "we want you to be here for a long time - what do we need to do to ensure that".

If he has ideas about the kind of guys that we should be targeting at draft time, we listen. If he has ideas about what direction the pro game is going, we listen. If there are ideas he has that the franchise can do to improve their chances of winning a Superbowl, we listen. His play and attitude have earned him the right to help become involved in some of the big decisions that go on behind the doors (and obviously not in any area that involves current squad members, that would just get messy).

Jackie Chiles
11-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Are you drunk?

Franchised until the end of time? What does that even mean?

If his agent is smart, he's telling JJ, right this minute, to start thinking about other teams.

JJ likes the city. So what? There's a lot of cities to like.

As I have said: Bob McNair will have to chose between Kubiak and JJ. Personally, I'd chose JJ and let Kubiak walk; but, indications are that we're stuck with Kubiak for many years to come, so, I wish JJ luck and I will follow him and wish him well.

JJ Watt has an agent, managers, a marketing team and friends and family all telling him that, with his national endorsements, he can go anywhere, get paid, and STILL win a Super Bowl.

He does not have to stay in Houston to be liked.

He will be franchised until he signs a long-term deal, not very difficult to understand really. That is why there is huge incentive to sign a long-term deal here before it ever comes to that. Do you really think we would just let him walk? Why, out of niceness? The Texans have done a lot of things wrong in their short history but letting the best defensive player of his generation walk without franchising him until it becomes unbearable would be a new low even for us.

If his agent is smart like you? His agent wants him to get paid every dollar that hes worth and he will get that here. He doesn't want him playing out the string on 1 year franchise contracts keeping his fingers crossed that he doesn't get injured. So JJ has to suffer through a lost season, boo freaking hoo, great players have played through worse seasons than this multiple times and stuck it out.

houstonspartan
11-11-2013, 12:31 AM
He will be franchised until he signs a long-term deal, not very difficult to understand really. That is why there is huge incentive to sign a long-term deal here before it ever comes to that. Do you really think we would just let him walk? Why, out of niceness? The Texans have done a lot of things wrong in their short history but letting the best defensive player of his generation walk without franchising him until it becomes unbearable would be a new low even for us.

If his agent is smart like you? His agent wants him to get paid every dollar that hes worth and he will get that here. He doesn't want him playing out the string on 1 year franchise contracts keeping his fingers crossed that he doesn't get injured. So JJ has to suffer through a lost season, boo freaking hoo, great players have played through worse seasons than this multiple times and stuck it out.

1) No, we don't "just let him walk." That's my point: OTHER TEAMS WILL OFFER HIM MORE, IF NOT THE SAME, AMOUNT OF MONEY. And JJ, all things being equal, will go to the team that will allow him to become a top-shelf football player. The team able to offer him that is not likely this one.

2) His agent wants him to make the most amount of money, yes. But, that will likely not be here. Also - and this is key - agents also think about endorsement money. Do you have any idea how much JJ's endorsement income would skyrocket if he were on a winning, high-profile team?

3) Do you have any idea the damage this team would do by constantly franchising JJ Watt? Franchising him more than once would ruin the team's relationship with him, and would make him want to walk even more.

4) JJ should stick it out? Even JJ has said that he realizes he only has a small window for an NFL career, and he has to focus on hitting his goals. He's supposed to "stick it out" for what, 10, 15 more years?

Again: I hope I'm wrong and he stays. But, I think it'll depend on Gary Kubiak's status.

infantrycak
11-11-2013, 12:32 AM

The Texans have one large advantage - timing. Next year his salary will be $1.9 mil. The Texans can control him for 3 years after that. He signs a deal with the Texans, he gets his big money earlier.

As I have said: Bob McNair will have to chose between Kubiak and JJ.

Putting aside your hopes, there is no reason to believe JJ shares your opinion of Kubiak.

And then there are the teams that many players would like to play for. New England, San Fran and New Orleans come to mind.

If you don't think Bill Belichick is already mentally plotting a way to get JJ Watt in a few years, you are kidding yourself.

Notice any of those teams being big players in the top dollar free agent market? - nope.

houstonspartan
11-11-2013, 12:35 AM
I don't think that he wants to leave. However whoever is organising at draft time ahould be sitting down with JJ and saying "we want you to be here for a long time - what do we need to do to ensure that".

If he has ideas about the kind of guys that we should be targeting at draft time, we listen. If he has ideas about what direction the pro game is going, we listen. If there are ideas he has that the franchise can do to improve their chances of winning a Superbowl, we listen. His play and attitude have earned him the right to help become involved in some of the big decisions that go on behind the doors (and obviously not in any area that involves current squad members, that would just get messy).

Letting players become de-facto coaches? No.

I like JJ, and agree that he has earned some respect, but, he does not deserve to be calling shots at that level.

Plus, I don't think he'd even want to.

MEGA SWATT
11-11-2013, 02:41 AM
He has to stay in a strong HEB market. Houston it is:chickendance:

TheMatrix31
11-11-2013, 04:09 AM
lol, this is so ridiculous.

JJ Watt will be a Houston Texan for life, whether he gets injured next year or plays for the next 15 years.

All the releases, all the maneuvering, everything has been done to make sure we can lock him up.

He's not going anywhere.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-11-2013, 04:31 AM
You guys seen enough of JJ's character. Do you really think he will walk? I don't think so.

Jackie Chiles
11-11-2013, 10:02 AM
1) No, we don't "just let him walk." That's my point: OTHER TEAMS WILL OFFER HIM MORE, IF NOT THE SAME, AMOUNT OF MONEY. And JJ, all things being equal, will go to the team that will allow him to become a top-shelf football player. The team able to offer him that is not likely this one.

2) His agent wants him to make the most amount of money, yes. But, that will likely not be here. Also - and this is key - agents also think about endorsement money. Do you have any idea how much JJ's endorsement income would skyrocket if he were on a winning, high-profile team?

3) Do you have any idea the damage this team would do by constantly franchising JJ Watt? Franchising him more than once would ruin the team's relationship with him, and would make him want to walk even more.

4) JJ should stick it out? Even JJ has said that he realizes he only has a small window for an NFL career, and he has to focus on hitting his goals. He's supposed to "stick it out" for what, 10, 15 more years?

Again: I hope I'm wrong and he stays. But, I think it'll depend on Gary Kubiak's status.

You are writing some narrative of JJ that suits the way you feel about the team right now. Who's to say he isn't dead-set and laser focused on sticking it out here and turning this thing around? Its just as likely as he and his agent bunkered up in some hotel with a dart board of Smithiak trying to figure out an escape plan. In reality neither scenario is likely.

1. No other team can offer him more because we can tear up the last year or two of his rookie deal where he is making peanuts. Oh, and I thought he was already a top shelf football player, he did win DPOY with this team last year didn't he?

2. You are pulling out the endorsement card now? How many more endorsements can he have, honestly. Every other commercial I see him. I doubt this is high on his or his agent's list but if it is he is doing just fine. Should I pull out the no state income tax card or will you tell me the other team in Texas or the ones in Florida are superior situations?

3. Franchising him more than once might ruin the relationship with him but keep him on the team. Not franchising him would allow him to potentially walk for a 3rd round compensatory pick. Hmmmm, that 3rd rounder sure is tempting but I think I'm going to have to slap you with the tag JJ, just remember you can always sign a long-term deal. I could envision us franchising him at minimum 4 times. I would be shocked if it came to that and I will beg your forgiveness and eat all the crow I can fit down my mouth if it does.

4. The best QBs stay and the best non-qbs stay. Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson, pretty much every good QB. This is what happens the large majority of the time. In the rare instances when guys of this caliber leave its because of injuries or some extenuating circumstances and I cannot recall it happening to a player fresh off his rookie contract (could be wrong). I doubt one bad season creates this kind of situation.

In conclusion I am just as frustrated with this team as you are (although maybe not quite) and I'm sure all the players, especially JJ, are pissed but these emotions start to shift once the off-season rolls around and cooler heads prevail. Optimism will raise its head around here again, we are not doomed to seasons like this ad infinitum.

2012Champs
11-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Id go where the best money deal was for me if I were him but alas I have next to zero skill to ask for those kinds of dollars anyhow

steelbtexan
11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
If the $$$$ is equal and the Texans keep walling around not doing anything traumatic, staying in the 6-10/10-6 range, but dont really ever have a chance to win a lombardi. Then I could see JJ walking the 1st chance he gets.

Luckily that wont be the case for the next 4 yrs at the earliest. if you had to let AJ at age 35 go so that you could have cap room to sign Watt is the question BoB should be asking himself.

HOU-TEX
11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't think Watt's going anywhere in the foreseeable future. But, I do think he'd like to eventually go back home and play for the Pack

Texanmike02
11-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm curious if Eddie Langston is even going to consider staying. He's in 7th grade and I'm sure we'll draft him but I wonder when his contract is up if he will want to stay.

Mike

Hervoyel
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm curious if Eddie Langston is even going to consider staying. He's in 7th grade and I'm sure we'll draft him but I wonder when his contract is up if he will want to stay.

Mike

It's a good question and one that many of us are losing sleep over lately. I mean, Eddie leaving could be disastrous to our future plans....

someday.....

Ok, in 2028

Double Barrel
11-11-2013, 11:37 AM
The Texans have one large advantage - timing. Next year his salary will be $1.9 mil. The Texans can control him for 3 years after that. He signs a deal with the Texans, he gets his big money earlier.

Putting aside your hopes, there is no reason to believe JJ shares your opinion of Kubiak.

Notice any of those teams being big players in the top dollar free agent market? - nope.

Cash this reality check! 'cak nailed it. The franchise holds all the cards.

JJ is considered a "legacy player" for the Texans, just like AJ. And look how McNair has treated AJ. Like royalty.

From just a marketing perspective, McNair will not let JJ go. And from what we've seen so far, JJ is loyal and not the kind of player to hold out and create a scene. Dude has an attitude that he can will this team to win. This is his team, and I have no doubt that he wants to be a big part of taking his team deep into the playoffs and to a Super Bowl. He already sees what he was part of in his first two years and how this city embraced him completely.

As long as a player believes in "next year", that the franchise is doing everything it can to put together a championship caliber team from year to year, it can be reasoned that players like AJ and JJ will stay committed to the franchise.

TejasTom
11-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Not franchising him would allow him to potentially walk for a 3rd round compensatory pick. Hmmmm, that 3rd rounder sure is tempting but I think I'm going to have to slap you with the tag JJ, just remember you can always sign a long-term deal. I could envision us franchising him at minimum 4 times. ....

Wow, we could get the next Sam Montgomery.

I believe the CBA limits franchising to twice .

Wolf6151
11-11-2013, 03:41 PM
The fact that McNair has kept Kubiak way too long, the fact that Kubiak doesn't know what a good QB looks like, and the fact that Kubiak has wasted most of AJ's career tells me that if I'm JJ Watt, I'm taking the first route out of here as fast as possible.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Cash this reality check! 'cak nailed it. The franchise holds all the cards.

JJ is considered a "legacy player" for the Texans, just like AJ. And look how McNair has treated AJ. Like royalty.

From just a marketing perspective, McNair will not let JJ go. And from what we've seen so far, JJ is loyal and not the kind of player to hold out and create a scene. Dude has an attitude that he can will this team to win. This is his team, and I have no doubt that he wants to be a big part of taking his team deep into the playoffs and to a Super Bowl. He already sees what he was part of in his first two years and how this city embraced him completely.

As long as a player believes in "next year", that the franchise is doing everything it can to put together a championship caliber team from year to year, it can be reasoned that players like AJ and JJ will stay committed to the franchise.
Rep to both of you!

In a profession that's just stupid with the potential for injury (and not only career ending injuries, but career altering injuries that only permanently diminish skills, not end careers), consider that after this season, if the Texans choose to, they can essentially have JJ under a four year string of one year contracts. They can control him through the 2017 season for extremely reasonable dollars (for someone of JJ's skill level), and should any injury befall him during that time that would warrant it, they can walk away from all future years with no further dollars owed to JJ, not one cent of dead money as a result, and no further obligation of any sort.

Now I'm pretty sure that's not how the Texans want this to play out, but I'm also pretty sure that the thought of maneuvering a professional minefield in order to reach the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow isn't exactly the way JJ wants to spend what is most of the prime of his career.

JJ's got a lot to lose by rolling those dice, and a lot to gain financially by signing a long-term deal after this year or next. He may be hell bent for a ring, but he's far from stupid when analyzing risk/reward decisions.

infantrycak
11-11-2013, 04:12 PM
The fact that McNair has kept Kubiak way too long, the fact that Kubiak doesn't know what a good QB looks like, and the fact that Kubiak has wasted most of AJ's career tells me that if I'm JJ Watt, I'm taking the first route out of here as fast as possible.

Seriously doubt JJ shares any of those opinions. In his experience Kubiak has had them in the playoffs his 1st 2 seasons and AJ has been a stud.

kingtexan
11-11-2013, 04:17 PM
lol, this is so ridiculous.

JJ Watt will be a Houston Texan for life, whether he gets injured next year or plays for the next 15 years.

All the releases, all the maneuvering, everything has been done to make sure we can lock him up.

He's not going anywhere.

JJ strikes me as someone who wants to win at all cost. I don't know that he stays just for the money.

DX-TEX
11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Watt laughs everyday when he drive his new Ford F150 (the official truck of the Houston Texans and JJ Watt) past Reliant on his way to HEB with his nmom to get some ice cream before he goes back home to set his roster for his Yahoo fantasy team

Carr Bombed
11-11-2013, 07:38 PM
It must be so frustrating for him to single handedly carry this defense and make big play after big play after big play only to lose 7 straight games. Watch our secondary make bonehaded plays & mistakes every week. Watch our offense not make the big play when it's needed.

He's gonna go to a contender right? No way he stays in Houston. :(

As soon as he's a free agent, he'll be gone. It's plain to see JJ cares about winning. He won't stay with a franchise that has no chance to succeed.

Complete crap.. I remember people starting a similar thread about Andre Johnson way back when... and he stayed, because he never sniffed free agency. This isn't the NBA where money is guaranteed and players form coalitions with other STs to win a championship, this is the NFL.. Where lives can change and careers can end on any given snap so a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (reason why Watt won't even reach free agency).. because nothing is guaranteed.

J.J. Watt isn't going anywhere and the first player who tells you he cares more about winning over getting paid is a damn liar (hello Mario). Yeah players care about winning, you know what they care more about?.. getting paid. If J.J. Watt does leave it'd be because the Texans didn't pony up the cash to keep him.. nothing else. And lets not forget.. THIS WILL BE THE FIRST TIME IN WATT'S CAREER THAT HE DOESN'T SEE THE POSTSEASON. So can we please stop acting like he's played for a perennial loser and is looking for the first train out of dodge. :rolleyes:

Gotta Know
11-11-2013, 09:19 PM
J.J. Watt isn't going anywhere and the first player who tells you he cares more about winning over getting paid is a damn liar [(hello Mario). Yeah players care about winning, you know what they care more about?.. getting paid. If J.J. Watt does leave it'd be because the Texans didn't pony up the cash to keep him.. nothing else. And lets not forget.. THIS WILL BE THE FIRST TIME IN WATT'S CAREER THAT HE DOESN'T SEE THE POSTSEASON. So can we please stop acting like he's played for a perennial loser and is looking for the first train out of dodge. :rolleyes:

You obviously don't know JJ.

He walked away from a scholarship to pursue his dreams. Money isn't his driving force. He's already proven he'll risk financial loss to work toward an end.

You used Mario as an example. Can you not tell the difference in response to losses between them?

I'm not saying he's going to leave but team potential will most certainly play a more important role than money.

Regardless where he goes he'll be set for life so why not work for an organization he feels good about and gives him the chance to attain his goals.

amazing80
11-11-2013, 09:21 PM
nope. id pack my bags and leave.....on a jet plane...........dont know when ill be back again :kitten:

Carr Bombed
11-11-2013, 10:19 PM

He walked away from a scholarship to pursue his dreams. Money isn't his driving force. He's already proven he'll risk financial loss to work toward an end.

You used Mario as an example. Can you not tell the difference in response to losses between them?

I'm not saying he's going to leave but team potential will most certainly play a more important role than money.

Regardless where he goes he'll be set for life so why not work for an organization he feels good about and gives him the chance to attain his goals.

No.. he walked away from a scholarship to walk on and pursue his dream to play for Wisconsin, which illustrates nothing on how he feels about signing a lucrative contract. Scholarships don't pay MILLIONS OF DOLLARS (this isn't college, it's the NFL, a business), so I really don't understand your "walked away from a scholarship" argument. CMU was coming off a 9-4 season when J.J walked away, so how in the hell did he walk away to join a "winner", he was already on a "winner". He walked away to join a div 1 program, nothing else, nothing less... Wake me up when he turns away the Texans and the blank check they're going to offer him... I'll save you the time, it isn't going to happen.

The "I care about winning over getting paid" is the biggest lie in sports. They all care about money.. then winning. Yes some will shave a few bucks to join a better team, but that's all it ever is.. a "few bucks". If the Texans want to keep Watt they'll keep him, all they have to do is reach into their ass pocket and pull out their checkbook.

Money aside.. for Christ's sake (hide the women and children *gasp*).. the guy is about to experience just his first season of non playoff football.. Good lord. Some of y'all need a prescription of Prozac.

klockWork
11-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Passion trumps Loyalty every time.

His passion to compete and win fumes through his nostril every Sunday. Eventually Watt will realize he's not in a winning environment and will look to open other doors. If he does that I won't be mad but wish him good luck. His talents is too great to be wasted in a place like Houston. Sorry, sad but true.

Gotta Know
11-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Car Bombed,

I don't know why you think you know JJ better than I do.

Trust me, You Don't.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and believe the Texans have a monopoly on his services based on money alone.

Anyone who knows JJ knows how wrong you are.

Vance87
11-12-2013, 03:02 AM
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and believe the Texans have a monopoly on his services based on money alone.

JJ is that you? :kitten:

Carr Bombed
11-12-2013, 07:47 AM

His passion to compete and win fumes through his nostril every Sunday. Eventually Watt will realize he's not in a winning environment and will look to open other doors. If he does that I won't be mad but wish him good luck. His talents is too great to be wasted in a place like Houston. Sorry, sad but true.

Envirements change when regimes change.. and change is coming. There plenty of time to become a winner before Watt comes close to FA

Carr Bombed
11-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

Well see.. feel free to bump this thread when he turns down the brinks truck the Texans are going to back up to his door step. He's going to be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

deucetx
11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
If I was JJ would I stay? Yes, I would.

Reasons are rather simple. As frustrated as we are as fans this organization actually does or is trying to win. They aren't just sitting idly on their hands like the Bengals of yester years use to do with Mike Brown at the helm. They made pursuits in free agency, they made pursuits in coach hirings (Phillips at least) and they draft pretty solid for the most part. It's one thing to be on a team that is all about collecting revenue. It's another to be on one that is trying to make the moves to win but has miscalculated. Question will be what will they do to adjust their approach.

Secondly, most contenders wouldn't be able to afford him without drastic changes on their roster. How many contenders are usually sitting there with a hefty amount of cap space? Not very many at all. It is generally bottom feeders that have the cap space so there is no guarantee a contender would be there waiting for him. Just not highly likely unless he took considerably less than his value. At his age I don't see that overly likely. That's something you do later down the line.

Uncle Rico
11-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Nice. Watt will be highest paid defensive player regardless of where he suits up. Real question is realistically speaking how long does this rebuild take? I'm sure his contract will be full of clauses and "outs" should this take too long.

houstonspartan
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Yep.

All of the "but he loves the city!" talk is sheer nonsense, and juvenile. I can't believe some of the things I'm hearing in this thread.

This will come down to money and winning. He wants both. If we can get paid somewhere else - which he will - AND go to a winning team, it's a wrap.

Now, my opinion is based on us keeping Kubiak. If we bring in a new coaching staff, all bets are off and I think he stays.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Some of y'all do not seem to comprehend the business side of things.

JJ cannot just decide he's going to leave the Texans and walk away.

He's under contract through 2014. And the franchise has the option to tag him for a couple of seasons after that.

Do not be surprised when they announce a huge contract with him before the start of the 2014 season. The Texans do not like the franchise tag, and they will certainly try to get him a new contract before it becomes an issue.

HOU-TEX
11-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Some of y'all do not seem to comprehend the business side of things.

JJ cannot just decide he's going to leave the Texans and walk away.

He's under contract through 2014. And the franchise has the option to tag him for a couple of seasons after that.

Do not be surprised when they announce a huge contract with him before the start of the 2014 season. The Texans do not like the franchise tag, and they will certainly try to get him a new contract before it becomes an issue.

Kinda off topic but

Doesn't the entire franchise number count against the cap? That's serious jack!

ChampionTexan
11-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Kinda off topic but

Yes it does, and it's fully guaranteed the second the tender is signed.

We're not talking about the franchise tag until 2016 (The Texans have a unilateral option for the 2015 season at what will be an extremely reasonable amount), and while I'm sure the Texans will try to avoid it, at some point guaranteed salary is guaranteed salary, and you're going to have to recognize it. Kicking the can down the road is a two edged sword anyway.

To give it a little perspective, the franchise tag amount for DE's in 2013 was $11,175,000. Jonathan Joseph actually counts a little more than that against the 2013 cap, and next year Joseph, Schaub, and Johnson are "scheduled" for more than that much. Ignoring AJ for the moment, even at their peak of productivity, neither Joseph or Schaub was close to as valuable as JJ should be when the time comes. As I said before, I'm sure it's not their first choice, but if the options are A.) JJ gets franchised or B.) JJ hits the open market, I'm confident you will see the tag used regardless of the cap situation at that point in time.

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Kinda off topic but

Good point. Even more incentive for the franchise to get him signed before it comes to such drastic measures.

Obviously, if JJ just does not want to be here, he can refuse any/all contracts offered to him by the Texans and wait them out. If he truly wants to be somewhere else, the risk of injury for one year deals is something he's going to have to chance.

But, since none of us really knows what's in the man's head and heart, we have to look at history to see how the franchise might handle it.

Dread-Head
11-12-2013, 04:18 PM
YUP! BE that guy who puts a defense on the map. How many DCs did Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, Howie Long & Mike Singletary go through as players and how many losing seasons did each endure? He should stay here and build something.

DBCooper
11-12-2013, 04:31 PM
If I was JJ Watt I would crush this thread!

TheMatrix31
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
The Texans aren't rebuilding. They're retooling. Retooling is different than rebuilding. Retooling is what successful teams do. If they have a down year, they work to fix problems instead of constantly tearing things down like perpetual losers Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland, etc.

badboy
11-12-2013, 07:23 PM
How else did the franchise-tag rules change?

Teams can continuously franchise players, but it'll cost them to do that. As had been the case previously, a player tagged a second straight year would have his number set at 120 percent of the previous figure. A third straight year? That's where things change, and the percentage goes up to 144.

Here's an example: Drew Brees' franchise tag number is estimated to be a relatively affordable $14.4 million this year. If he's tagged a second straight time, it'd cost the Saints, based on the estimates, $17.28 million. In Year 3, because of the change, the number goes all the way to $24.88 million. That means Brees gains some leverage in negotiating a long-term deal, in that the tag numbers add up to about $56.6 million over three years, or nearly $19 million per.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8272422b/printable/new-wrinkles-to-franchise-tag-salary-cap-happened-for-reason

houstonspartan
11-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Guys, in all seriousness, there is no way JJ stays here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Trap_Star
11-17-2013, 05:23 PM
In related news, AJ will also not be a Texan....20 year's from now.

fiasco west
11-17-2013, 05:27 PM

This ain't the NBA.

JJ Watt is not bolting to play in a bigger market or to play with Von Miller and Patrick Willis as they go to South Beach.

When is the last time a young franchise type player left a team? Only because his old team did not want to pay him. That is usually the only reason.

MannyFresh
11-17-2013, 09:37 PM

I agree, wow he could go home to Green Bay, talk about being in beast mode, he'd absolutely would destroy there.

houstonspartan
11-17-2013, 09:47 PM
This ain't the NBA.

JJ Watt is not bolting to play in a bigger market or to play with Von Miller and Patrick Willis as they go to South Beach.

When is the last time a young franchise type player left a team? Only because his old team did not want to pay him. That is usually the only reason.

Um, he's going to get paid regardless of where he goes.

Norg
11-17-2013, 10:16 PM
the only way we Keep JJ WATT here is if we go back to a 4-3 there is no way we make a DE in a 3-4 the highest paied player in a 3-4 the elite ones the ones that win SB's are the OLB's there supposed to be the ones that are the Sack masters

TexanBacker93
11-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I think this is all a little premature. Has he ever given an indication that he's looking to leave as soon as he can? I could see it in 2 more years if we continue like we are, but he's experienced more winning than losing in his career.

I don't think it will ever come down to a Kubiak goes or I go situation. There is no way he keeps his job after this season.

Carr Bombed
11-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Um, he's going to get paid regardless of where he goes.

No crap..

The only difference is Houston is the only team that can offer him that contract before he reaches FA.. and since this isn't the NBA and is the NFL where careers and lives can change on any given snap.. he isn't going to turn it down.

He can get paid anywhere, but players (especially players along the trenches) in the NFL don't want to leave it up to chance.

J.J. Watt isn't going anywhere.. I just hope he enjoys playing for his next coach.

badboy
11-18-2013, 12:30 PM
There is no way Watt is going anywhere for at least three years unless Texans allow it. He is under contract for 2014 & we can tag him for two. Let's meet then, same bat time, same bat station.

Carr Bombed
11-18-2013, 12:32 PM
the only way we Keep JJ WATT here is if we go back to a 4-3 there is no way we make a DE in a 3-4 the highest paid player in a 3-4 the elite ones the ones that win SB's are the OLB's there supposed to be the ones that are the Sack masters

Even if we stay in the 3-4 we'll make him the highest paid player, because he isn't your run of the mill 3-4 end. When you record the most defeats in a season then you get paid.. regardless of your position. Who gives a crap if he's a OLBer or not. He's already putting up those type of numbers from his position and as long as he keeps putting up those numbers he'll get paid.

Carr Bombed
09-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

LOL, Well apparently you don't know J.J. near as well as you think you do..

Money talks.. :pop:

chenjy9
09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

Is this what talking out of one's rear end sounds like?

Playoffs
09-02-2014, 12:32 PM

So I guess you'd have to say JJ endorses the recent changes around the Texans, since he re-upped.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2014, 12:51 PM
So I guess you'd have to say JJ endorses the recent changes around the Texans, since he re-upped.

Those, and some very large checks for a very long time.

Double Barrel
09-02-2014, 12:53 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :spit:

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2009-11/50730056.jpg

ChampionTexan
09-02-2014, 12:55 PM

I think this would be more of a buffet as opposed to table service.

Double Barrel
09-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I think this would be more of a buffet as opposed to table service.

yep. I couldn't resist, though. The arrogance posted toward Carr Bombed just screamed it.

michaelm
09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

Maybe Gotta Know needs to take my avatar...

Especially since I can't even remember why I started using it.

thunderkyss
09-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Wow... talk about holding a grudge.

Carr Bombed
09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Wow... talk about holding a grudge.

Has nothing to do with that. Absolutely nothing.

I just have a long memory and remember this argument and remember how ridiculous it was when people were acting like J.J. would turn down a max contract simply because the Texans weren't on the cusp of winning a super bowl :rolleyes: or acted like he wouldn't take the guaranteed dollars out of some loyalty to play in Wisconsin.

The NFL is a business and isn't college.. of coarse any sane person is going to take the guaranteed dollars. (the reason why Andre has been doing it for years, despite the lack of post season success). I just thought it was extra funny how that poster acted like a personal confidant, yet was still wrong.

Like I said.. always remember, money talks and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.. J.J. made a wise decision, he could blow out his knee tomorrow walking down a flight of stairs. The Texans ability to extend him was always a question whether simply or not they wanted to or not (not about J.J. joining the Packers)... clearly they wanted to, who wouldn't?

The same type of discussions popped up during Andre Johnson's negotiations.. Yet the Texans wanted him, paid the man, and he's still here, go figure.

thunderkyss
09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Has nothing to do with that. Absolutely nothing.

I just have a long memory and remember this argument and remember how ridiculous it was...

eehh... yeah, that's called holding a grudge.

DX-TEX
09-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Gotta Know is a Packers troll.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2364989&postcount=19

Another think to consider. JJ grew up idolizing Reggie White who came to the Packers after starting his career elsewhere. Reggie didn't hide the fact that money was important to him but he needed to play for a team that HE thought had a chance to be great. Sound kind of familiar?

Any fan not of the Packers would have said "went". Came implies you are there.

Obvious troll is obvious. Now he is just jelly.

Carr Bombed
09-02-2014, 04:22 PM
eehh... yeah, that's called holding a grudge.

No it's not... It's simply calling one out on their B.S.

You can call it "holding a grudge" or whatever you want (but since I was right what grudge is there?), clearly we have two completely different definitions on what "holding a grudge" is or means.

This is more of a "I told you so" bump. Hell, Gotta Know only has 30 responses.. he/she hasn't even been around long enough to develop a grudge to begin with.

That's the beauty of this forum, when we are dead wrong, we will get called out for it. And that has nothing to do with grudges, it just means you were wrong. If you've posted here long enough I'm sure it's happened once or twice to you.. doesn't mean there's some sort of "personal grudge", so please don't try to turn it into something that it's not and don't be so sensitive.

corytx8
09-02-2014, 04:54 PM
No it's not... It's simply called calling one out on their B.S.

You can call it "holding a grudge" or whatever you want (but since I was right what grudge is there?), but clearly we have two completely definitions on what "holding a grudge" is or means.

This is more of a "I told you so" bump. Hell, Gotta Know only has 30 responses.. he/she hasn't even been around long enough to develop a grudge with.

That's the beauty of this forum, when we are dead wrong, we will get called out for it. And that has nothing to do with grudges, it just means you were wrong. If you've posted here long enough I'm sure it's happened once or twice to you.. doesn't mean there's some sort of "personal grudge", so please don't try to turn it into something that it's not and don't be so sensitive.

No need to get hell bent about grudges and all, I found this thread pretty funny actually.

Carr Bombed
09-02-2014, 08:11 PM
No need to get hell bent about grudges and all, I found this thread pretty funny actually.

as do I, hopefully this thread can be a standing reminder on why high profile players will reenlist and resign with their current team.

EllisUnit
09-02-2014, 08:48 PM
No it's not... It's simply calling one out on their B.S.

You can call it "holding a grudge" or whatever you want (but since I was right what grudge is there?), but clearly we have two completely definitions on what "holding a grudge" is or means.

This is more of a "I told you so" bump. Hell, Gotta Know only has 30 responses.. he/she hasn't even been around long enough to develop a grudge with.

Word !!!

Thorn
09-02-2014, 11:29 PM
So I guess the answer to the thread question is "yes".

ChampionTexan
09-02-2014, 11:36 PM
So I guess the answer to the thread question is "yes".

No, that's the answer to the question "If JJ Watt were JJ Watt would he stay". With many of the posters in this thread, if "They" were JJ Watt, JJ Watt would still be delivering pizzas in Wisconsin.

Showtime100
09-03-2014, 11:28 AM
There are ways of making a point and then there are ways of making a point. Gotta Know had it coming.