PDA

View Full Version : Arian Foster (season ending back surgery)

eriadoc
11-05-2013, 01:44 PM
I haven't heard much chatter about Foster the past couple days, but I have to say my opinion of him has fallen. The past two games he has taken himself out of the game after just four carries and one carry, respectively. I'm sure his hamstring, back, and calf are all really sore, but if they're that bad, he should never have taken an active roster spot. Meanwhile, Tate is out there gutting it up with broken ribs.

People used to ding Mario by saying he didn't try enough. But he went out there and played in the trenches every down against the largest guys on the field with all sorts of injuries. Hell, he played an entire season with plantar fasciitis, which I know personally leaves you crippled. He may not have played particularly well with those maladies, but he went out there.

And what was the general consensus when Colt McCoy pulled himself out of the national championship game? It wasn't that he was a tough gamer, I can tell you that.

chenjy9
11-05-2013, 01:49 PM
In my personal experience, back and leg injuries are way more movement limiting than cracked ribs.

CretorFrigg
11-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Can I short his stock?

...any put options out there?

To me, it just feels like he's given up. He's stopped taking football seriously, and he's more invested in his career as a celebrity.

badboy
11-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I think like others who have come back without healing it has led to further injury and this includes Foster. I would think it is difficult to return in 2 weeks from hamstring and that could have led to back injury. I think I read/heard somewhere that back was hurt "again". Of so, not sure how this is player's fault?

Playoffs
11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
As I recall Dr CND predicted compensating injuries for Arian. From about the 2nd half of the 2nd game he looked like his old self, but then injuries again...

Marcus
11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm torn on this one, as I'm giving Arian the benefit of the doubt here. If he had busted ribs, then I'd expect him to get the shot like Tate did and be out there.

But with Arian and this hamstring of his . . I mentioned to my wife when they announced that he was playing, "Why is he even suiting up so soon, he's just going to tweak it again". They said it was his back this time, but I'm sure it's hammy related.

He did something bad to his hamstring in a workout before training camp, in which I get the feeling needs surgical correction. They're 2-6. Put him on IR and get it done.

Carr Bombed
11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't know.. leg muscles and the back are pretty important to a RBs ability to play. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

bOODRO87
11-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Coach ran him into the ground last year.

JCTexan
11-05-2013, 02:32 PM
The question I have is how he was cleared to play in the first place. He had only one carry where he wasn't hit too hard and he doesn't play another down. Was he not tested extensively before the game? And this was coming after a game where you had no healthy RB's available.

cuppacoffee
11-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Maybe so but he had the whole off season and missed all OTA'a and training camp in order to recover.

I think Arian's heart is in other pursuits now.

:coffee:

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I think he just flat out quit on the team

TheMatrix31
11-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this recent run of events, but I do know that I've never been really trusting of him overall. I always thought he had too much weirdo/philosophical douche/etc in him, somewhat similar to what happened to Ricky Williams' running away from football.

I hope it's just injuries, but I've always had this feeling about him.

Dutchrudder
11-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I think it's mostly injuries that are holding him back, and it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who looks at the history of RBs with 400+ touches in their previous year. At this point, I would give Arian at least 4 weeks off, and figure out what we have in guys like Dennis Johnson, who could be our #2 RB next year. I think a 1-2 punch of Foster and Johnson could be enough for the 2014 Texans, and it could reduce our RB priority in the draft. Get Dennis up to speed on pass protections, and he could be a nice, cheap #2.

cstyle42
11-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Bingo!!! When you got a playcaller like Kubiak and a qb like Schaub it ruins other keys players that have to be twice as great to make up for the weak links BS so I don't even blame Foster. Glad this team is finally forced to address their real issues.

TexansFanatic
11-05-2013, 02:52 PM
This is the same guy who was visibly upset about being taken out of the game earlier this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1768112-houston-texans-rb-arian-foster-was-not-happy-about-being-subbed-out

I'd rather have him take himself out of a game than pretend he's healthy and only get 2 yards per carry.

cstyle42
11-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I think he just flat out quit on the team

I think you already didn't like him to begin with. Can't be serious... what grounds do you have to believe that?

tedr
11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I think we should shut him down for the rest of the year, and let him heal up and be ready for 2014. As excited as I am about Keenum, we aren't going to the playoffs this year. As someone stated, we need to see if Johnson is a viable #2 back...I thought he flashed some potential on Sunday night.

Tearstain
11-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I seem to recall his his initial injury in pre season was a result of him over doing the weight training in the gym.

Is this what a person does when they don't care about playing?

Double Barrel
11-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I think it's mostly injuries that are holding him back, and it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who looks at the history of RBs with 400+ touches in their previous year. At this point, I would give Arian at least 4 weeks off, and figure out what we have in guys like Dennis Johnson, who could be our #2 RB next year. I think a 1-2 punch of Foster and Johnson could be enough for the 2014 Texans, and it could reduce our RB priority in the draft. Get Dennis up to speed on pass protections, and he could be a nice, cheap #2.

This is how I perceive it, as well. RBs are known to have short NFL lives due to the nature of the position and the workload put on them.

Dude is human and his body will reflect the wear and tear put on it.

I cannot judge the man's heart or say that I know what he's thinking. But, he sure ran his ass off after getting paid, and that is usually somewhat of an indicator into the insight of a player's mentality.

And I agree with Dutch on putting a fork in this season and let Foster some time to heal. I think the guy still has some football left in him, so no use wasting it on this season.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-05-2013, 03:11 PM
I think you already didn't like him to begin with. Can't be serious... what grounds do you have to believe that?

I based it on his attitude and body language. Dont know why his back didnt get aggravated during practice, Gary always said he had a good day, etc. And the whole team luncheon incident made him look like a real Jerk off in my eyes.

CloakNNNdagger
11-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I based it on his attitude and body language. Dont know why his back didnt get aggravated during practice, Gary always said he had a good day, etc. And the whole team luncheon incident made him look like a real Jerk off in my eyes.

I've tried to tell people that the player's and coach's comments and Injury Reports must be taken with a grain of salt.

During the Texans only contact practice (Wednesday), Foster was listed "Limited," which means that he did not engage in contact activities. Then on Friday, he is listed as "Full," meaning that he had a great walk-through! I mentioned that I felt that if he were allowed to play, he would likely not make it through the game. If has back was what had him leave the back, you can be sure that it was a compensatory injury to his hamstring........and it would not surprise me if in addition he didn't re-aggravated his hamstring, whether he is listed as such or not.

HOU-TEX
11-05-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't know.. leg muscles and the back are pretty important to a RBs ability to play. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

Yup, we pretty much have to. IIRC, he'd have a substantial cap hit if he was cut.

I don't really question his heart. He was fighting his butt off before the injuries. Heck, he was the only one kickin butt during the Rams game. He was still going 100% even after the Rams put the game away in the 3rd. To me, that shows heart.

I can see doggin on players like Sharpton, but Foster? Not yet, not me anyway

chicagotexan2
11-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't think he's quit. I think the tread on the tires has worn thin. I doubt well ever see him produce like he's done in the past.

JCTexan
11-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Yup, we pretty much have to. IIRC, he'd have a substantial cap hit if he was cut.

I don't really question his heart. He was fighting his butt off before the injuries. Heck, he was the only one kickin butt during the Rams game. He was still going 100% even after the Rams put the game away in the 3rd. To me, that shows heart.

I can see doggin on players like Sharpton, but Foster? Not yet, not me anyway

Good point. Foster was practically the only offense we had against the Rams. The only question is why the coaches cleared him to play. He obviously wasn't healthy enough to.

markn
11-05-2013, 04:07 PM
He's saving himself for the playoffs.

Exascor
11-05-2013, 04:08 PM

I can see doggin on players like Sharpton, but Foster? Not yet, not me anywayI'm not ready to question his heart yet either. That said - he'd save the team $1.25 million if cut this offseason. I'd keep him around. That's not a hug savings. Now in 2015 he'll cost $9 million to the cap. Unless he returns to a healthy superstar in 2014, you cut him and save $4 million on the cap.

HOU-TEX
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Good point. Foster was practically the only offense we had against the Rams. The only question is why the coaches cleared him to play. He obviously wasn't healthy enough to.

Dunno, maybe Arian pushed to give it a go? The Colts injury was 'new' compared to the hammy.

I admit, I was kinda irked with him vs the Chiefs. He kinda left us hangin. But then again, that's when Black & Mild-gate happened

Marcus
11-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Now, let's see. Why was this guy cut in TC? And nobody picked him up? Oh yeah, that's right! He couldn't hang on to the rock to save his life. The fact that he actually didn't cough it up even once against the Colts was amazing in itself.

Hervoyel
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't think he's quit on anyone. In fact I don't see him as being sullen or weird or anything but a little frustrated and kind of confused. I doubt he expected to be hurting this often and this easily in 2013. He seemed like he went out of his way to get ready and things have just spiraled out of control. Foster needs a few weeks off and then should get worked back into the rotation but nowhere near as heavily as he was getting the ball. Spread the load among 2-3 backs and lets get into the offseason.

Exascor
11-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't think he's quit on anyone. In fact I don't see him as being sullen or weird or anything but a little frustrated and kind of confused. I doubt he expected to be hurting this often and this easily in 2013. He seemed like he went out of his way to get ready and things have just spiraled out of control. Foster needs a few weeks off and then should get worked back into the rotation but nowhere near as heavily as he was getting the ball. Spread the load among 2-3 backs and lets get into the offseason.I think he needs to be protected from himself. He's so competitive that he thinks he can go. Team docs should make him take a few weeks off. Heck, if it would help recover long-term, IR him now. Season is over, why ruin this guys career over stats in meaningless games?

chenjy9
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Only complete retards would think a guy like Foster quit on his team. Even when the rest of our team were pissing away games, Foster always trucked on if he could. Guys who have it in the to quit don't pace up and down the sideline against the Ravens wanting to play. They don't get mad when they are benched for their backups. They don't push themselves hard during the offseason or try to push through injuries that affect their careers.

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Like others have said, I don't think he's quit on anything. He's just ground down from last year. I hope he'll be able to recover -- some RBs never do. But I don't think it's because of a lack of desire or heart on his part.

phantom17
11-05-2013, 05:54 PM
I think we should shut him down for the rest of the year, and let him heal up and be ready for 2014. As excited as I am about Keenum, we aren't going to the playoffs this year. As someone stated, we need to see if Johnson is a viable #2 back...I thought he flashed some potential on Sunday night.

I agree! Let Johnson & Graham get some carries! Keenum & a healthy Foster next year could be special!

ObsiWan
11-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I haven't heard much chatter about Foster the past couple days, but I have to say my opinion of him has fallen. The past two games he has taken himself out of the game after just four carries and one carry, respectively. I'm sure his hamstring, back, and calf are all really sore, but if they're that bad, he should never have taken an active roster spot. Meanwhile, Tate is out there gutting it up with broken ribs.

People used to ding Mario by saying he didn't try enough. But he went out there and played in the trenches every down against the largest guys on the field with all sorts of injuries. Hell, he played an entire season with plantar fasciitis, which I know personally leaves you crippled. He may not have played particularly well with those maladies, but he went out there.

And what was the general consensus when Colt McCoy pulled himself out of the national championship game? It wasn't that he was a tough gamer, I can tell you that.
That's about the only thing in that post I agree with. Foster shouldn't be out there. Doc said during preseason that Foster would have issues before the year was out. Doc was right, as usual.

And for the record, Tate probably ought to sit out a few weeks and heal too.

Like others have said, let's see what these younguns can do.

Brisco_County
11-05-2013, 06:31 PM
It's confusing why so many decide to assume the worst about Foster and his attitude. The dude works extremely hard in the offseason, and his attitude reflects a competitor with high standards. The irrationality of some fans peaked at the beginning of the season when they were talking about trading him. After the ability that Foster has demonstrated, that idea is terribly illogical.

The injuries don't confirm that his body is breaking down, just that it's changing. All athletes go through this and make adjustments. I was just listening to a long interview with Andre Johnson, and he described how he has changed up his workouts in accordance with his age. He doesn't even run on concrete anymore because it makes his knee swell up. In Foster's case, he overtrained in the offseason. He didn't allow recovery time, and the subsequent injuries have been compensatory. That doesn't mean he's done, it just means he needs to adjust his workouts and plan his recovery better. I envision Foster running for this team for a long time, because the way he runs deflects hits and punishment that typical runningbacks absorb.

CloakNNNdagger
11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Dunno, maybe Arian pushed to give it a go? The Colts injury was 'new' compared to the hammy.

I admit, I was kinda irked with him vs the Chiefs. He kinda left us hangin. But then again, that's when Black & Mild-gate happened

If you remember, he previously received epidural injections for his back problems. I said at that time that these injections may typically relieve symptoms for up to two months. He received those injections on Sept 18 and today is Nov 5. He compensated his still freshly ailing hamstring with additional stress on his back as the injection effects were wearing off........the perfect storm.

I'm not going to say that his career is near end, but his injury history and types are nearing critical level...........multiple recurrent serious tears to the same hamstring, and an apparent recurrent disc type of problems (ala Cody).
Unless something changes significantly, his career path will not going in the right direction.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I've tried to tell people that the player's and coach's comments and Injury Reports must be taken with a grain of salt.

During the Texans only contact practice (Wednesday), Foster was listed "Limited," which means that he did not engage in contact activities. Then on Friday, he is listed as "Full," meaning that he had a great walk-through! I mentioned that I felt that if he were allowed to play, he would likely not make it through the game. If has back was what had him leave the back, you can be sure that it was a compensatory injury to his hamstring........and it would not surprise me if in addition he didn't re-aggravated his hamstring, whether he is listed as such or not.

Bolded...

Signed,

Texans PR Staff with regards to Tony Boselli, Dominick Davis and others.

Thorn
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't doubt Arian's heart for a second. His body may be a different question though.

DocBar
11-05-2013, 08:22 PM
AF had back issues in TC that were tied, by CnD to his calf, so it should be no surprise to anyone that he had a recurrance of his back problem after having a hammy issue.

The only issue I have is AF taking up a roster spot when BT has fractured ribs. Better to activate one of the new guys than rely on AF at that point.

houstonhurricane
11-05-2013, 08:30 PM
If you remember, he previously received epidural injections for his back problems. I said at that time that these injections may typically relieve symptoms for up to two months. He received those injections on Sept 18 and today is Nov 5. He compensated his still freshly ailing hamstring with additional stress on his back as the injection effects were wearing off........the perfect storm.

I'm not going to say that his career is near end, but his injury history and types are nearing critical level...........multiple recurrent serious tears to the same hamstring, and an apparent recurrent disc type of problems (ala Cody).
Unless something changes significantly, his career path will not going in the right direction.

Well, this is pretty discouraging - especially after signing him to a new deal.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I read an article a couple of years ago where an average NFL career is something like 3 1/2 years with RBs being even on the shorter end of that.

DocBar
11-05-2013, 08:39 PM

Unless something changes significantly, his career path will not going in the right direction.To make it interesting, would you resign Tate or Foster, considering the injury history with both?

PapaL
11-05-2013, 08:50 PM
I think he hurt his back lifting that fat new wallet. I for one question his toughness and desire to play. He's not a stupid man. With the touches he's had, he knows they'll catch up and start affecting his quality of life - not that I blame him.

CloakNNNdagger
11-05-2013, 09:06 PM
To make it interesting, would you resign Tate or Foster, considering the injury history with both?

I know this would not be the most popular, but, as it stands now, due to the type of histories of each, I would tend favor towards Tate.

Brisco_County
11-05-2013, 09:12 PM

What kind of therapy or change to his routine would promote longevity?

Naija Texan
11-05-2013, 09:34 PM

The team ran the ball almost a record number of times last season, behind a suspect offensive line, not counting the pass plays he made with his feet toward the end of that season. Foster took hits, he came into the season banged up, worked himself back into Foster like production even as the rest of the team was floundering and then fell victim to a occurrence of injuries.

In a lost season, it would be stupid to risk your franchise RB, especially if he (who rarely has had injury issues before) is the one informing you about them. Can't believe how quick people are to turn on one of the teams best players, I guess running backs really are only valued these days by fantasy owners because it is obvious with the franchise having one of the better ones (who before injury had been in the top 3 for yards this season after a bad start) way too many in this fanbase don't appreciate him with all the talk about Tate being better when he's had worst issues and has missed more games due to injuries.

darnbni99a
11-05-2013, 09:39 PM

this...........

ThaJokaa
11-05-2013, 09:42 PM
If I remember correctly, I'm not sure whether it was on this forums or another forum that I was on, but It had to do with Foster working out with his brother in the off season. It had to do with Foster's brothers training methods being extremely harsh on the body and unsafe .Apparently while they trained on Rice Univ. grounds all the trainers there would critique his methods for those reasons and would always tell him so, but I guess he's trainer is his trainer and they just went on. What are the possibilities that all of Foster's injuries are results from the off season training with his brother?

Brisco_County
11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
If I remember correctly, I'm not sure whether it was on this forums or another forum that I was on, but It had to do with Foster working out with his brother in the off season. It had to do with Foster's brothers training methods being extremely harsh on the body and unsafe .Apparently while they trained on Rice Univ. grounds all the trainers there would critique his methods for those reasons and would always tell him so, but I guess he's trainer is his trainer and they just went on. What are the possibilities that all of Foster's injuries are results from the off season training with his brother?

I don't know anything about the actual techniques, but I know these two facts: The training is intense, and Foster strained his calf on his first snap of OTA's.

Bulls on Parade
11-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Do you guys think the Texans will draft a running back in the 2014 NFL Draft, and in what round, considering Foster's constant injuries and Tate may leave in free agency?

4x4tx
11-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I'd cut him. He hasn't been the same since he got his fat contract and stopped eating meat. Most important game of the season vs the colts and he pulls himself out after 1 play? No heart and doesn't like to practice. Watch when he runs closely, I've never seen a rb slip and fall as much as he does....bye foster',Martin,Joseph, Newton, bullock, manning and both reeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

ThaJokaa
11-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I'd cut him. He hasn't been the same since he got his fat contract and stopped eating meat. Most important game of the season vs the colts and he pulls himself out after 1 play? No heart and doesn't like to practice. Watch when he runs closely, I've never seen a rb slip and fall as much as he does....bye foster',Martin,Joseph, Newton, bullock, manning and both reeds.

Not the meat thing again...
He's been non vegan for a while now

ObsiWan
11-05-2013, 11:01 PM

The vegan thing isn't really true any more. He started re-integrating meat into his diet last year.

And as far as pulling himself out, that might have been a team strategy going into the game. That is, Foster's marching orders might well have been: get out there and see if you can go full speed; and find out if it tightens up on you. If so, you're not healed and you're done for this game because we're not taking a chance on losing you for the future.

I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to let Foster give it a shot - when he (Kubiak) probably knew it was too soon for Foster to have recovered.

76Texan
11-06-2013, 09:01 AM
The vegan thing isn't really true any more. He started re-integrating meat into his diet last year.

And as far as pulling himself out, that might have been a team strategy going into the game. That is, Foster's marching orders might well have been: get out there and see if you can go full speed; and find out if it tightens up on you. If so, you're not healed and you're done for this game because we're not taking a chance on losing you for the future.

I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to let Foster give it a shot - when he (Kubiak) probably knew it was too soon for Foster to have recovered.

Also, Foster has plenty of incentive to play.
His contract includes a 500K game bonus.
He lost a little over $30K each game he doesn't play.
Who would want to leave that much money on the table for just a few hours of work?

eriadoc
11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Also, Foster has plenty of incentive to play.
His contract includes a 500K game bonus.
He lost a little over $30K each game he doesn't play.
Who would want to leave that much money on the table for just a few hours of work?

Does he get the bonus if he plays one play and then heads to the locker room to don sweats?

Brisco_County
11-06-2013, 09:06 AM

So he overtrains and injures himself because he has no heart?

76Texan
11-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Does he get the bonus if he plays one play and then heads to the locker room to don sweats?

LOL.

Good question!

I think they probably put in a number of snap counts, maybe?

It would be crazy if they leave such a loophole open after Foster had gone from the game early a few times already.

Marcus
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I know this would not be the most popular, but, as it stands now, due to the type of histories of each, I would tend favor towards Tate.

I wouldn't give any running back a big money contract. Their best years are behind them by the time you make the decision to give them one. Better to let another team give it to them, and let them be stuck with all that dead money two years down the road when they are cut.

As a matter of fact, in today's NFL, as violent and injurious as it is, I don't think any player, no matter the position, is worth going an extended big money contract to. Take Matt Schaub and Brian Cushing as perfect examples. Both of them are going to turn out be nothing but dead money in the end. Jonathan Joseph is another prime example.

This is why I'm totally against signing big-money free agents. They are past their prime by the time they go on the market.

4x4tx
11-06-2013, 09:51 AM
So he overtrains and injures himself because he has no heart?

lol overtrains? dude skipped out on all of camp. The guy doesn't like to practice or doesn't think he needs to practice. I was kidding about the vegan thing but just shows what a free spirit kind of guy he is to do that...its one thing if you are a 90lb woman to be a vegan and another to be one of the highest paid RBs in the game in a sport where you can take absolute beatings...but in his case, he slips and falls so much he rarely takes a hard shot...dude is the master of slipping for an extra yard but losing the ability to ever break one.

Great question about his game bonus...maybe why he "trys" for a few plays and then heads to the lockeroom....cha ching!

Uncle Rico
11-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Try and trade Foster on draft day. Let Tate walk. ZBS can utilize damn near anyone with a pulse as a + runner.

cbs1507
11-06-2013, 10:30 AM
He's saving himself for the playoffs.

Playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

eriadoc
11-06-2013, 11:12 AM
LOL.

Good question!

I think they probably put in a number of snap counts, maybe?

It would be crazy if they leave such a loophole open after Foster had gone from the game early a few times already.

I am genuinely curious. A lot of times those types of bonuses are based on whether you're active on game day. Sometimes they're based on other metrics like yards or carries. But I don't think I've ever heard of one based on number of plays. I'd be willing to bet he got the bonus for the past two games.

infantrycak
11-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I am genuinely curious. A lot of times those types of bonuses are based on whether you're active on game day. Sometimes they're based on other metrics like yards or carries. But I don't think I've ever heard of one based on number of plays. I'd be willing to bet he got the bonus for the past two games.

Foster's bonus is almost certainly triggered by being active on game day.

There are snap count triggered bonuses but they are typically on a per season rather than per game basis.

Claiming Foster is being just ready enough to get a bonus check is naive at best. He doesn't control whether he is active. That is a medical staff/coaching decision and they are used to basically every player say they are ready to go. Having money on the line would only make them more reluctant if anything.

Lord Bills
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Arian Foster is a selfish player who thinks he's so much more intelligent than he really is.

A poser trying to carry himself as some enlightened "keeping it real" cool hipster d-bag.

He needs to get over himself and start being a team player.

Exascor
11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Arian Foster is a selfish player who thinks he's so much more intelligent than he really is.

A poser trying to carry himself as some enlightened "keeping it real" cool hipster d-bag.

Sounds more like some of the posters on Texanstalk.

JCTexan
11-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Foster didn't practice today. I hope he sits this next game out so we can see what Johnson & Graham can do.

Brisco_County
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
lol overtrains? dude skipped out on all of camp. The guy doesn't like to practice or doesn't think he needs to practice. I was kidding about the vegan thing but just shows what a free spirit kind of guy he is to do that...its one thing if you are a 90lb woman to be a vegan and another to be one of the highest paid RBs in the game in a sport where you can take absolute beatings...but in his case, he slips and falls so much he rarely takes a hard shot...dude is the master of slipping for an extra yard but losing the ability to ever break one.

Great question about his game bonus...maybe why he "trys" for a few plays and then heads to the lockeroom....cha ching!

For every slip Arian makes, he goes back out and jukes players like they're in junior varsity.

This forum has lengthy threads dense with information contributed by an experience sports doctor that correctly predicted the degree and recovery time of Arian's injuries in the preseason. It's recommended that you rely on a rational source of information like those threads instead of your crystal ball for reading Arian's mind.

ObsiWan
11-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Perhaps you should "get over" yourself.

Brisco_County
11-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Where are people getting these mind reading abilities? Please, show me so I can make a one way trip to Vegas.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM

I agree Bill, you say anything other than " aw shucks he s hurt, but i know he wishes he can play" is wrong. Dont doubt him or his attitude or say his body language says he id a pompus arse. Nope he was just ran too hard like MANY RBs before him and still find success

Double Barrel
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Where are people getting these mind reading abilities? Please, show me so I can make a one way trip to Vegas.

I'm thinking it's Josh Innes in drag posting under a sock account.

His personal attitude against Foster spews on the radio and sounds just like the post you quoted.

I completely understand critical analysis of on-field performance.

I have never understood the personal vendetta attitude about the players themselves as people. Unless qualified that they actually know the player in real life, it all comes across as unsubstantiated gossip.

chenjy9
11-06-2013, 05:31 PM
I agree Bill, you say anything other than " aw shucks he s hurt, but i know he wishes he can play" is wrong. Dont doubt him or his attitude or say his body language says he id a pompus arse. Nope he was just ran too hard like MANY RBs before him and still find success

I will try to be civil in light of this incredible ignorance. First I ask, where is your freaking evidence that he is being lazy, not a team player, selfish, or whatever asinine accusations you want to make? Next I will present my evidence that makes me think you are just completely ass backwards wrong:

- CND (a doctor and worth listening to, unlike you) warned us to take Kubiak's lies (coach speak) with salt and warned us that there will possibly be more injuries coming for Foster. That you chose to ignore someone as knowledgeable as him in light of your own non-educated assumptions is laughable at best.

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't want to play when the game is lost and angrily march along the sideline

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't try to play with hamstring injuries which are a lot more movement limiting then broken ribs

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't train hard as hell in the offseason, possibly to the point where he may have injured himself

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't try to push themselves through injuries that would strongly and negatively impact the remainder of their career

- Foster was out in camp because he was hurt and we wanted to try and save him for the season where things actually, you know, count. That is not selfishness, that is being INTELLIGENT.

I am still waiting for even a shred of rationality and sanity in you and other people who share your same narrow mindset of just HOW Foster is lazy, selfish, not a team player, or doesn't care. What a joke...

Marcus
11-06-2013, 06:57 PM
I am still waiting for even a shred of rationality and sanity in you and other people who share your same narrow mindset .......

Dayum! :D

That sounds like me when I'm going off the reservation with those usual suspects down there in the surrealistic atmosphere of what is known as the "No Spin Zone". :spin: :winky:

4x4tx
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Have you ever put in a jock strap and played? Dude it's obvious his I'm the smartest guy in the room attitude is prevalent here. The guy is selling stock in himself, wth, just play hard and get paid..no need for gimmicks.

When did he ever march angrily on the sideline? The San Diego game was only one I saw and it was because Tate was running hard and stealing his thunder. Last two games he moped around on the sideline not once looking like a team player. No heart. Still laughing at this overtraining talk..Tate runs 10 times as hard as foster when healthy.

Brisco_County
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
I will try to be civil in light of this incredible ignorance. First I ask, where is your freaking evidence that he is being lazy, not a team player, selfish, or whatever asinine accusations you want to make? Next I will present my evidence that makes me think you are just completely ass backwards wrong:

- CND (a doctor and worth listening to, unlike you) warned us to take Kubiak's lies (coach speak) with salt and warned us that there will possibly be more injuries coming for Foster. That you chose to ignore someone as knowledgeable as him in light of your own non-educated assumptions is laughable at best.

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't want to play when the game is lost and angrily march along the sideline

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't try to play with hamstring injuries which are a lot more movement limiting then broken ribs

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't train hard as hell in the offseason, possibly to the point where he may have injured himself

- Lazy, selfish, pompous players don't try to push themselves through injuries that would strongly and negatively impact the remainder of their career

- Foster was out in camp because he was hurt and we wanted to try and save him for the season where things actually, you know, count. That is not selfishness, that is being INTELLIGENT.

I am still waiting for even a shred of rationality and sanity in you and other people who share your same narrow mindset of just HOW Foster is lazy, selfish, not a team player, or doesn't care. What a joke...

It's frustrating that these things even have to be pointed out. They were obvious to anyone paying attention, or who bothered to keep their opinion informed.

Whether it's sports, politics, or any dogma, the most vocal are often the most uninformed.

Brisco_County
11-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Have you ever put in a jock strap and played? Dude it's obvious his I'm the smartest guy in the room attitude is prevalent here. The guy is selling stock in himself, wth, just play hard and get paid..no need for gimmicks.

When did he ever march angrily on the sideline? The San Diego game was only one I saw and it was because Tate was running hard and stealing his thunder. Last two games he moped around on the sideline not once looking like a team player. No heart. Still laughing at this overtraining talk..Tate runs 10 times as hard as foster when healthy.

Why would he care about Tate taking his reps if he's already paid and he's lazy?

ajohnson80
11-07-2013, 02:56 AM

wow. Foster has repeatedly showed up and noticeably raised his level of play in big games. He was a work horse for us all season long last year. If we get eliminated he's the one player I wouldn't mind resting until next year. rb's have a short life and foster can still play the position at an elite level.

bOODRO87
11-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Anyone who questions Foster's dedication after everything he did for us last year (Single handling beating the bears, destroying the bengals, and setting records for an undrafted RB), deserves to watch this epic failure of a season.

Flat out ignorance because you literally do not know what you are talking about.

EllisUnit
11-07-2013, 06:57 AM
not to mention even AJ said he and Foster trained together along with fosters brother all off season, why would someone who has quit be training when they dont have to ?

Hervoyel
11-07-2013, 08:26 AM
I think what a lot of people are interpreting as a bad attitude and laziness in Foster is simply frustration. When running backs get the kind of carries he's had they start to break down but it's not like they suddenly feel like they're less capable or more fragile. Foster had high hopes for this season and set the bar way up there. He started working in camp and his body didn't cooperate.

He's probably as surprised as anyone that he can't stay on the field and that when he does he isn't getting the results he expected. I bet it's pissing him off too. Will rest bring him back to where he was or even close? I don't know. Maybe? Usually when you run one of these guys into the ground you don't get them back the same way ever again but a few of them do recover. Foster's not a real banger who takes a lot of hits and deals out punishment to those who try to tackle him so maybe he just needs to give it a rest and come back at it in a few weeks. I think putting him on IR would be a mistake personally. Sure, the rest would help but I think he needs to be out there playing with Keenum before the season ends and getting involved in the slightly different chemistry we have going on now that Case is starting. Foster's safety-valve catches are going to result in long gains if Case continues to keep teams focused on stopping the deep ball. We need Foster and/or another back like him. Tate's a talented back but he's not got Arian's elusiveness and vision. Arian Foster has been the perfect back for this system. Very nearly a Terrell Davis quality piece to this system.

Times like these I want to strangle Cierre Wood for screwing this opportunity up. He'd be vaulting Ben Tate right now if he could follow the damn rules.

NCTexan
11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
not to mention even AJ said he and Foster trained together along with fosters brother all off season, why would someone who has quit be training when they dont have to ?

Also, you think AJ would train with someone who has quit?
(Just adding on here)

I don't get this Foster hate. At all. But all the counter points have been made in this thread and promptly ignored.

Edit; As Hervoyel pointed out too, Foster will be scary with Case's ability to sling the ball down field.

infantrycak
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't get this Foster hate. At all.

Like power outages breed people, losing breeds stupid.

Lord Bills
11-07-2013, 03:22 PM

its because he's a talented player and fans will be fans. They refuse to see what's right in front of them and make warped rationalizations and excuses for players they like.

Foster has had character issues well before he ever became a texan. He's had problems at Tennessee. There's been several times where he has acted out like a spoiled child on the football field.

You can see all of this if you choose to open your eyes and stop being a homer with his whole vegan, poetry, selling stock, anti ncaa pay me routine. He comes off as some pretentious know it all pretending to be so illuminated and all knowing.

He's not that smart and his interview with spencer tillman last year or a couple of years ago (where they talk poetry) shows what a real intelligent person looks like (Tillman) vs someone who pretends.

His actions right now prove it. He's ding up but since its a lost season he's packing it in despite being able to play. I understand his logic, saving his body for more years(equals one more year being paid) but please dont insult people's intelligence by trying to excuse and rationalize his selfish actions.

EllisUnit
11-07-2013, 06:52 PM
its because he's a talented player and fans will be fans. They refuse to see what's right in front of them and make warped rationalizations and excuses for players they like.

Foster has had character issues well before he ever became a texan. He's had problems at Tennessee. There's been several times where he has acted out like a spoiled child on the football field.

You can see all of this if you choose to open your eyes and stop being a homer with his whole vegan, poetry, selling stock, anti ncaa pay me routine. He comes off as some pretentious know it all pretending to be so illuminated and all knowing.

He's not that smart and his interview with spencer tillman last year or a couple of years ago (where they talk poetry) shows what a real intelligent person looks like (Tillman) vs someone who pretends.

His actions right now prove it. He's ding up but since its a lost season he's packing it in despite being able to play. I understand his logic, saving his body for more years(equals one more year being paid) but please dont insult people's intelligence by trying to excuse and rationalize his selfish actions.

Dude u are biased about more players than anyone else i have ever seen on this board, If he was out training with AJ in the off season then the boy is not lazy. Doc told us his hamstring could lead to other problems, you dont know what Foster is going through injury wise.

Foster is an elite running back, AJ had his 2 seasons of major inujuries where it looked like his career may be over, he is now healthier than ever.

Thorn
11-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I can't believe there are folks turning on Arian where there are so many more deserving candidates for this ill will.

EllisUnit
11-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I can't believe there are folks turning on Arian where there are so many more deserving candidates for this ill will.

You know how fans are, they are worse than the flu, jumping from one host to the other. only to find their next victim. This is why i could never be a pro athlete, well that and the fact i am not a superior specimen gifted with a 6'6 frame and who can run the 40 in 4.5 seconds. But still......

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
The fact that Arian was seeing more doctors today is not exactly a great sign. As my concerns ran high re. his back, especially after he required epidural injections, they now run just as high that he ultimately ends up requiring "sharp therapy" similar to Cody.

Brisco_County
11-07-2013, 09:58 PM

You wrote three paragraphs explaining that you don't like his personality, but none supporting your actual argument. You're going to need more substance to make your case. Let me help you out here with some guidance...

We'll start with anecdotal evidence: Are you at the practices? His workouts? Have other players suggested he's uncommitted?

Let's move on to hard data: Have you seen his MRI's? X-Rays?

Cite an expert opinion: Is there an experienced doctor in this forum who could advise? If only we had a doctor around here... Hmm... We would need a doctor who could tell you back in September that Foster's calf, hamstring, and back injuries followed by epidural are NOT indicative of further compensatory injuries in 6-8 weeks, and any injury claims by Foster during that timeframe are likely due to Foster being a selfish pseudo-intellectual beat-poet.

If you find any success in that effort, you should team up with the guy from the Schaub thread who thinks it's cool to throw ice at players. You two could be a private investigation duo like Simon & Simon who team up to sell information to coaches on who's lazy and who's a loser.

texanhead08
11-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Arian has been one of the few Texans that has always shined in the big games. I would think he deserves the benefit of the doubt and I don't blame him for pulling himself if he is injured.

Hervoyel
11-07-2013, 10:35 PM
They should try and buy the big truck that Lee Majors used to drive around in "The Fall Guy".

Just because.

DocBar
11-07-2013, 10:40 PM
You wrote three paragraphs explaining that you don't like his personality, but none supporting your actual argument. You're going to need more substance to make your case. Let me help you out here with some guidance...

We'll start with anecdotal evidence: Are you at the practices? His workouts? Have other players suggested he's uncommitted?

Let's move on to hard data: Have you seen his MRI's? X-Rays?

Cite an expert opinion: Is there an experienced doctor in this forum who could advise? If only we had a doctor around here... Hmm... We would need a doctor who could tell you back in September that Foster's calf, hamstring, and back injuries followed by epidural are NOT indicative of further compensatory injuries in 6-8 weeks, and any injury claims by Foster during that timeframe are likely due to Foster being a selfish pseudo-intellectual beat-poet.

If you find any success in that effort, you should team up with the guy from the Schaub thread who thinks it's cool to throw ice at players. You two could be a private investigation duo like Simon & Simon who team up to sell information to coaches on who's lazy and who's a loser.Briscoe, use the ignore button. I ignored this guy a long time ago. Just ignore, don't quote and they will go away.

Unless you feel qualified to administer a plastectomy so the DB can see with his head up his own ass. Then, by all means, proceed.

Brisco_County
11-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Arian has been one of the few Texans that has always shined in the big games. I would think he deserves the benefit of the doubt and I don't blame him for pulling himself if he is injured.

Especially if a doctor in this forum predicted this injury and timeframe seven weeks ago.

Brisco_County
11-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Briscoe, use the ignore button. I ignored this guy a long time ago. Just ignore, don't quote and they will go away.

Unless you feel qualified to administer a plastectomy so the DB can see with his head up his own ass. Then, by all means, proceed.

I try to avoid using the ignore list, and I only have one person on it.

A lot of people are joining the forums this year just to lash out at the organization, and it's diluting the quality of the discussions. It's up to veteran members to reject these low-value ideas being thrown around. It's why I've been so vocal the past few weeks with these people. They rationalize applauding when players are injured, condone throwing ice at players, they include players' families in their rants, and they make their criticisms personal. No wonder TexMex Mom stopped posting here.

So I don't think they should be ignored; We should vet their crude ideas until they learn to filter them themselves, or stop posting trash altogether. I think every veteran member here should make an extra effort until the plague has passed.

DocBar
11-07-2013, 11:29 PM

A lot of people are joining the forums this year just to lash out at the organization, and it's diluting the quality of the discussions. It's up to veteran members to reject these low-value ideas being thrown around. It's why I've been so vocal the past few weeks with these people. They rationalize applauding when players are injured, condone throwing ice at players, they include players' families in their rants, and they make their criticisms personal. No wonder TexMex Mom stopped posting here.

So I don't think they should be ignored; We should vet their crude ideas until they learn to filter them themselves, or stop posting trash altogether. I think every veteran member here should make an extra effort until the plague has passed.Please use the quote button less then.

Brisco_County
11-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Please use the quote button less then.

I hear you. I still twitch every time I scroll past a quote of Uncle Rico.

Tearstain
11-08-2013, 03:07 AM
I hear you. I still twitch every time I scroll past a quote of Uncle Rico.

Hey don't class all new forum members.

Some (ie. Me) might say somthing stupid as I am not as clued up about things as most of you.

We only get drip fed info about football over here in UK and even less about the Texans.

TexansSeminole
11-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Can I short his stock?

...any put options out there?

To me, it just feels like he's given up. He's stopped taking football seriously, and he's more invested in his career as a celebrity.

Actually, you can, kind of.

Here are the salient points: Fantex is listing a "convertible" tracking stock for 20% of Arian Foster's so-called brand income. In the very same offering, Fantex is also offering shares in the brokerage platform's common stock. If you buy Arian Foster's tracking stock, it can be convertible to Fantex platform common stock at any time and in any way the company's management sees fit.

Link (http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/12090935/1/pretend-you-are-investing-in-fantex-not-arian-foster-or-vernon-davis.html)

Sad stuff.

NCTexan
11-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Some (ie. Me) might say somthing stupid as I am not as clued up about things as most of you.

We only get drip fed info about football over here in UK and even less about the Texans.

No worries man! Most members here who have been around a while are perfectly accepting of new people. It's just when people join and immediately start bashing players/management/have unrealistic ideas and won't engage in constructive discussion that people start getting upset. Develop a reputation before getting crazy.

To the subject at hand though. Questioning Arian's drive is stupid. He's probably pushing himself too much right now and that's why he's getting all these injuries, compensating for the existing ones (as Doc has said multiple times). You same people saying he has no drive/love for the game are the same one's that would be b*tching if he was sitting out to completely heal. He can't win with you people.

Exascor
11-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Fyi - you have access to as much information as us. There's this fancy new thing called the internet that really helps. Hehe. Seriously though, most of us get our information from websites and message boards. TV & radio coverage is usually hours to days behind.

Reading the Texans Talk boards will get you up to speed. Welcome to the boards.

Brisco_County
11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
No worries man! Most members here who have been around a while are perfectly accepting of new people. It's just when people join and immediately start bashing players/management/have unrealistic ideas and won't engage in constructive discussion that people start getting upset. Develop a reputation before getting crazy.

Yep. Unless a new member is already clued in to the ettiquette, it's best to lurk for a while. I was member of the Something Awful forums a few years back, and their ettiquette is harsh, but sensible. Mods quickly ban and probate people for quality control, which is necessary due to the volume of people joining daily.

On the other hand, you don't want veterans acting too exclusive or snobby. As you said, most members here are reasonably inclusive.

To the subject at hand though. Questioning Arian's drive is stupid. He's probably pushing himself too much right now and that's why he's getting all these injuries, compensating for the existing ones (as Doc has said multiple times). You same people saying he has no drive/love for the game are the same one's that would be b*tching if he was sitting out to completely heal. He can't win with you people.

Exactly.

infantrycak
11-08-2013, 09:44 AM

The bold is the key. Don't roll in here calling people, ignorant, homers, koolaid drinkers, haters, etc. especially without being able to back it up.

Double Barrel
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM

So I don't think they should be ignored; We should vet their crude ideas until they learn to filter them themselves, or stop posting trash altogether. I think every veteran member here should make an extra effort until the plague has passed.

Great post, man. Vinny has always said to give posters enough room to define themselves (obviously drawing a line about personal attacks, etc.).

When someone is allowed to speak their mind long enough, their own words define them and everyone else forms a perception of that individual based on the thoughts they put on these pages.

We have never promoted group-think mentality. On the contrary, the forum flourishes when all perspectives are laid out. But sometimes a perspective can be so vindictive, so filled with vitriol and hate, that it goes into extremism and loses all objectivity. And that is when the collective standards of members comes into play, because you see folks with different opinions aligning themselves together against the obvious troll cancer until it is eradicated, either by choice or by force.

Dutchrudder
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
This morning on the radio, I was listening to 610 and a caller asked the question of the two radio hosts (don't know their names) "which Texan they would like to kick of the team for personal reasons?" They both said Arian, and the guy actually said "because he's a fraud" with regard to his poetry and intellect. He didn't really explain it, but I thought it was interesting.

DocBar
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
The fact that Arian was seeing more doctors today is not exactly a great sign. As my concerns ran high re. his back, especially after he required epidural injections, they now run just as high that he ultimately ends up requiring "sharp therapy" similar to Cody.
Injured running back Arian Foster has seen “two or three” back specialists, according to coach Wade Phillips.

Foster left the 27-24 loss to Indianapolis in the first quarter with a back injury. There’s been nothing specific about the injury.

Ben Tate, who’s playing with three cracked ribs, will start against Arizona. Undrafted rookie Dennis Johnson will back up Tate. Veteran Deji Karim will probably be the third back ahead of rookie Ray Graham.

Phillips, who’s serving as the interim coach until Gary Kubiak returns next week, said today that Foster has or will see back specialists in Houston and other cities.

“He’s had two or three opinions,” Phillips said. “They haven’t told me anything about it. Still evaluating is what they’ve told me.”

Foster may have to undergo surgery, which would cost him the rest of the season.

Foster was on a hot streak when he left the 17-16 loss at Kansas City in the first quarter with a pulled hamstring. He had averaged 113 yards a game in three consecutive losses to Seattle, San Francisco and St. Louis. He was second in the NFL in rushing when he was injured against the Chiefs. If his season is over, he’ll finish with 542 yards and a 4.5-yard average per carry.

From 2010 through 2012, Foster touched the ball more than any back in the NFL. LINK (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/11/foster-out-sunday-against-cardinals-could-require-season-ending-surgery/)

bckey
11-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Here is the latest on Foster:

Houston (CBS Houston) - The Houston Texans will be without Arian Foster for Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals after playing only two snaps last week against the Colts.

SportsRadio 610′s John McClain is saying that season ending surgery is an option for Foster.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/arian-foster-out-for-sundays-game-could-have-surgery/

I wish the Texans would just hire Cloakndagger.

2012Champs
11-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Here is the latest on Foster:

Houston (CBS Houston) - The Houston Texans will be without Arian Foster for Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals after playing only two snaps last week against the Colts.

SportsRadio 610′s John McClain is saying that season ending surgery is an option for Foster.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/arian-foster-out-for-sundays-game-could-have-surgery/

I wish the Texans would just hire Cloakndagger.

Even if CnD was the Texans' Dr Im not sure it changes much. He certainly wouldnt be speaking freely about situations without the team okaying it. Im sure the MDs the team uses are okay at their jobs

EllisUnit
11-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Briscoe, use the ignore button. I ignored this guy a long time ago. Just ignore, don't quote and they will go away.

I dont ignore people, you may ask why....

Because peoples ignorants amuses me, and in my boring day to day job i need some amusment.

HOU-TEX
11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I dont ignore people, you may ask why....

Because peoples ignorants amuses me, and in my boring day to day job i need some amusment.

lol

chenjy9
11-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Look at that... Foster is so lazy, pompous, selfish, and dumb that he is considering harmless back surgery instead of gutting it out and playing with his homies. What a bad person he is!

In case you (the reader) are one those people too dumb or dense to figure out this is sarcasm like those moron posters dissing Foster, well it is.

Hervoyel
11-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Arian's back is that messed up. We may be looking at the end of his time here and really, if you think about it wouldn't that pretty much be right along the lines of the usual Houston Texans pattern? They find talent, they feature it, when they feel like they've got a sure thing they pay it. Then it gets hurt and goes out the door.

Foster might recover just fine or he might look at the situation and decide that he doesn't want to have trouble playing with his kids or getting up off a couch in 10 years. I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

For about the 20th time this year I want to put my foot up Cierre Wood's ass for being a fool. Oh well, nothing to be done about it now. Time to see if Dennis Johnson or Ray Graham has it in him to be the next man up.

bckey
11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Even if CnD was the Texans' Dr Im not sure it changes much. He certainly wouldnt be speaking freely about situations without the team okaying it. Im sure the MDs the team uses are okay at their jobs

The comment was tongue in cheek

Double Barrel
11-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Look at that... Foster is so lazy, pompous, selfish, and dumb that he is considering harmless back surgery instead of gutting it out and playing with his homies. What a bad person he is!

In case you (the reader) are one those people too dumb or dense to figure out this is sarcasm like those moron posters dissing Foster, well it is.

yeah, no doubt. Blows my mind that fans question a player's integrity, work ethic, and honesty because they do not like his personality.

:smiliepalm:

darnbni99a
11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Arian's back is that messed up. We may be looking at the end of his time here and really, if you think about it wouldn't that pretty much be right along the lines of the usual Houston Texans pattern? They find talent, they feature it, when they feel like they've got a sure thing they pay it. Then it gets hurt and goes out the door.

Foster might recover just fine or he might look at the situation and decide that he doesn't want to have trouble playing with his kids or getting up off a couch in 10 years. I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

For about the 20th time this year I want to put my foot up Cierre Wood's ass for being a fool. Oh well, nothing to be done about it now. Time to see if Dennis Johnson or Ray Graham has it in him to be the next man up.

cosign this...yea Cierre wood really let me down...sighs...owell. there's always more talent out there

steelbtexan
11-08-2013, 04:20 PM
As I recall Dr CND predicted compensating injuries for Arian. From about the 2nd half of the 2nd game he looked like his old self, but then injuries again...

The Texans rushed him back, just like they did with Newton/B.Williams/W.Smith/D.Brown/Posey etc....

Then you look at teams like the Seahawks Okung/Giacommini have turf toe/knee injuries, but Carroll lets them sit out until they're healthy. The Texans rush Newton back coming off petallar surgery so he can play in a PRE=SEASON game. Brown and Okung got turf toe the same week.

Is it Gary that pushes the Dr.'s and training staff to get these guys on the field before they're ready? Or does the Texans medcical staff reek of incompetence? I believe it's a combination of both. Which is why this team needs a total house cleaning. Starting with Rick/Gary/Olson/Medical staff and ending with the janitors.

drs23
11-08-2013, 06:03 PM

I picked Dennis Johnson in the annual "Which Rookie" poll before the season started. Then he started dancin' and droppin' the tater. Poof, he's gone. Seems as though he's made a conscious effort to correct those maladies. I didn't see anything but pick a hole-n-go and it looked like to me like he was really concentrating on holding on to the ball. I know I've read people really in Graham's corner as well but other than the few uninspiring carries in PS I know nothing about him. If he gets a chance I hope he does well.

speedfreek
11-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Man, we are paying a ton of money to folks who have either
"gone stale" in their career or cannot stay on the field due to
health reasons..

Definitely not the Astros philosophy..

TJ

Texian
11-08-2013, 06:35 PM
The Texans rushed him back, just like they did with Newton/B.Williams/W.Smith/D.Brown/Posey etc....

Then you look at teams like the Seahawks Okung/Giacommini have turf toe/knee injuries, but Carroll lets them sit out until they're healthy. The Texans rush Newton back coming off petallar surgery so he can play in a PRE=SEASON game. Brown and Okung got turf toe the same week.

Is it Gary that pushes the Dr.'s and training staff to get these guys on the field before they're ready? Or does the Texans medcical staff reek of incompetence? I believe it's a combination of both. Which is why this team needs a total house cleaning. Starting with Rick/Gary/Olson/Medical staff and ending with the janitors.

I couldn't have said it better....only thing I have to add is I said The Texans made a mistake extending Foster's contract as early as they did. I have always thought they should've tendered him instead, saving over $4 million. Another poor business decision.

Brisco_County
11-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I picked Dennis Johnson in the annual "Which Rookie" poll before the season started. Then he started dancin' and droppin' the tater. Poof, he's gone. Seems as though he's made a conscious effort to correct those maladies. I didn't see anything but pick a hole-n-go and it looked like to me like he was really concentrating on holding on to the ball. I know I've read people really in Graham's corner as well but other than the few uninspiring carries in PS I know nothing about him. If he gets a chance I hope he does well.

I think Arian's going to elect for surgery. The fact that his career is at risk probably has him freaked out.

Dennis Johnson looked great in the few snaps I saw. He impressed me enough to stash on my fantasy bench. His ability to get into 2nd gear the moment he cuts is highly advantageous in this system.

With Tate becoming a free agent, and Arian probably taking less snaps next season, we'll see plenty of DJ and Graham soon.

Thorn
11-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Except for seeing what Keenum does this season is a bust. Arian should have surgery and rehab and come back to us next year so we can try again. We need Arian at full strength. The man is a beast and can block for the QB as well as catch passes.

bckey
11-08-2013, 06:46 PM
I think Arian's going to elect for surgery. The fact that his career is at risk probably has him freaked out.

Dennis Johnson looked great in the few snaps I saw. He impressed me enough to stash on my fantasy bench. His ability to get into 2nd gear the moment he cuts is highly advantageous in this system.

With Tate becoming a free agent, and Arian probably taking less snaps next season, we'll see plenty of DJ and Graham soon.

I did the same thing in both of my leagues. I liked him in preseason until he fumbled a couple of times. Hopefully he can hang on to the rock better now that he gets a 2nd chance.

steelbtexan
11-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Well, this is pretty discouraging - especially after signing him to a new deal.

Now we are getting to the heart of why he was rushed back before he was totally healthy. IMHO

steelbtexan
11-08-2013, 06:57 PM

Boselli/DDW/Spencer ect.... would disagree with you.

The problem with the Texans org is that OK seems to be good enough.

steelbtexan
11-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Welcome

Over a decade of losing seems to bring out the worst in some.

infantrycak
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Boselli/DDW/Spencer ect.... would disagree with you.

What would any of them have to complain about the Texans' docs?

chicagotexan2
11-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Part of me would be glad that fosters season is finished because I think his injuries need extensive time to recover. Better that he shut it down and hopefully get completely healthy for next season than keep trying to contribute and make things worse in a season that is already lost.

MEGA SWATT
11-09-2013, 12:03 AM
The window is just about closed:cutthroat:

Wolf
11-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Sports mobile app just said he is have season ending surgery

bckey
11-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Sports mobile app just said he is have season ending surgery

Yep. They just reported the same thing on NFL Network.

axman40
11-10-2013, 07:46 AM
A speedy recovery for Mr. Foster , see you next season!
:fans::fans::fans:

houstonhurricane
11-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Yep, just to mirror what others have already said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/10/report-arian-foster-out-for-season-with-back-injury/

Hervoyel
11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
A speedy recovery for Mr. Foster , see you next season!
:fans::fans::fans:

I hope.

I'm assuming this surgery is on his back and if that's the case (and I'm no CnD, just a guy with a bad back) I think the Texans need to go forward not counting on having the services of Arian Foster next year. I mean, I hope like hell that he makes a full recovery and can continue his career. I just wouldn't count on it.

I hope Arian's going to be ok and that he isn't limited in life going forward. Back pain sucks. I also hope Dennis Johnson is ready to break out and show us something the rest of the way going forward.

mussop
11-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Having back surgery

ArlingtonTexan
11-10-2013, 08:21 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/10/report-arian-foster-out-for-season-with-back-injury/

bckey
11-10-2013, 08:35 AM
This is already in the Arian Foster thread posted by Wolf

silvrhand
11-10-2013, 08:51 AM
sigh.. this town is cursed...

:shots:

mussop
11-10-2013, 08:56 AM
This is already in the Arian Foster thread posted by Wolf

I know I didn't see it till after I posted this. That's why I out merge if needed.

mussop
11-10-2013, 08:59 AM
This really makes losing Woods hurt even more. He looked so good.

Nawzer
11-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Back injuries are tough to deal with. Look at Tracy McGrady and his back problems. I think Foster's days as a starting back are over. Hope he gets healthy and can play for another year or two. Fortunately running back is a position that can be filled relatively easily nowadays.

DocBar
11-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I was thinking this also!

Carr Bombed
11-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Ceirre Wood is a dumbass. Somewhere he's got to be kicking himself. He pissed away a great opportunity here.

mussop
11-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Ceirre Wood is a dumbass. Somewhere he's got to be kicking himself. He pissed away a great opportunity here.

I wish we would give him a second chance.

DocBar
11-10-2013, 10:01 AM
I wish we would give him a second chance.
You'd need to get the Patriots to release him first. :fingergun:

Lucky
11-10-2013, 10:10 AM
No, Wood is on the Pats practice squad. He can be signed to any teams active roster.

TheIronDuke
11-10-2013, 10:11 AM

Not if we put him on our active roster, he's on their PS.

bckey
11-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Yep. Wood would of had a chance at a good career here. It is really weird the way everything happened at about the same time with Foster, Tate, and Wood. Johnson was the next best rb in preseason but he couldn't hang on the ball. Hopefully he has fixed that. Still, such a shame that Wood blew what could have been a great opportunity.

houstonhurricane
11-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Back injuries are tough to deal with. Look at Tracy McGrady and his back problems. I think Foster's days as a starting back are over. Hope he gets healthy and can play for another year or two. Fortunately running back is a position that can be filled relatively easily nowadays.

Eh, while I am certainly no NFL starting running back, I had this same surgery a year ago and had a very speedy recovery - felt amazingly better six weeks from surgery and was back running without limitations shortly afterthought hat.

The docs may have better and more informed thoughts, but if his disk is pushed into the nerve then that seems to be one of the primary reasons doctors may opt for surgery - no amount of injections or therapy seem to alleviate that level of pain and discomfort.

I think he will be back and just fine next season.

kingtexan
11-10-2013, 10:38 AM
How much would Arian count against next years cap if we cut him? How about if we trade him?

houstonhurricane
11-10-2013, 10:42 AM
How much would Arian count against next years cap if we cut him? How about if we trade him?

I think he only counts a bit over $5.5 million next year so unlikely he would be cut...

Uncle Rico
11-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Great now we need a RB in the draft.

One year turnaround not looking so likely anymore.

Resign Tate, cut Foster is what I would do.

DBCooper
11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm starting to think that CnD works for the Texans or knows someone on the Texans medical staff.

His assessment of our players injuries are incredibly accurate!

EllisUnit
11-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm starting to think that CnD works for the Texans or knows someone on the Texans medical staff.

Maybe he is actually a doctor who "listened"

ThaShark316
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Uh, no to ALL of this.

Nawzer
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Eh, while I am certainly no NFL starting running back, I had this same surgery a year ago and had a very speedy recovery - felt amazingly better six weeks from surgery and was back running without limitations shortly afterthought hat.

The docs may have better and more informed thoughts, but if his disk is pushed into the nerve then that seems to be one of the primary reasons doctors may opt for surgery - no amount of injections or therapy seem to alleviate that level of pain and discomfort.

I think he will be back and just fine next season.

I wouldn't count on Foster if I were the Texans. That's all I'm saying. I said the same thing over and over again with Cushing's situation earlier this year and what I feared happened with him.

EllisUnit
11-10-2013, 11:50 AM

haha so Minnesota should of cut Peterson after his ACL huh ? Yeah i cant believe they held on to that scrub. Wow some of you people crack me up haha.

EllisUnit
11-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't count on Foster if I were the Texans. That's all I'm saying. I said the same thing over and over again with Cushing's situation earlier this year and what I feared happened with him.

Cushing latest injury was hardly due to his first injury, that was a vicious block by Charles, and that would of messed a lot of people knees ups. Foster will come back just fine, hell look at Peyton Manning after all his neck surgeries he had.

powda
11-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Now we are "proper *******ed"

DocBar
11-10-2013, 12:24 PM
No, Wood is on the Pats practice squad. He can be signed to any teams active roster.OOPS!!! :fostering:

Uncle Rico
11-10-2013, 12:29 PM
haha so Minnesota should of cut Peterson after his ACL huh ? Yeah i cant believe they held on to that scrub. Wow some of you people crack me up haha.

Im no doctor, but I would think back surgery is just a but more serious than knee surgery. Oh yea and the whole Foster is nowhere close to the type of athlete All Day is argument.

No.Where.Close.

b0ng
11-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Wow. There are some really terrible opinions presented as facts in this thread.

eriadoc
11-10-2013, 01:07 PM

I can't rep CnD enough for what he contributes to this forum, but he's just sharing his expertise on a general level, without the benefit of having examined the players in question. That really highlights just how much the Texans obfuscate injury information and how much we cannot believe anything they say.

TheMatrix31
11-10-2013, 01:18 PM
*sigh* depressing.

CloakNNNdagger
11-10-2013, 01:24 PM
There was a Northwestern study published in the March issue of the Journal of American Sports Medicine that examined records of NFL OL and DL, who had herniated disc surgery during their active careers over a 2 decade period (~1990-2010) that were publicly available.......in order to determine their career outcomes, They found a total of 52. Not only did 80 percent of these particular players return to the game, they also played an average of 33 games during three years after the surgery. About half of them attained starter position. When you look at these surprisingly encouraging number, you must keep in mind that the 52 number was for those known to the public through the media and the stats through the NFL. The specific surgery and pathology in most cases were not available to assess "minor" vs "major"........and, we all know that public information released by the teams many times is of dubious accuracy. As we also know, NFL players have surgeries that are never made public. Not only that, but you need to ask yourself how many NFL players have had back issues, retired and THEN had surgeries, instead of opting to try continuting their careers through surgery. These latter players would not be counted in these stats and would likely add significantly to the "poor outcome" category.

There are no other studies I am aware of NFL players (including RBs) undergoing back surgeries. With this said, yes, OL and DL put great amounts of strain on their backs, but they do not typically sustain this strain under high impact situations from not only head-on, but also from the sides as is the case with RBs. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that after one level of disc problems are demonstrated, other levels being affected may be not far behind. As disc problems may commonly be the result of compensation for other injuries, even if this episode of Foster's disc problem is surgically corrected, with his recurrent history of significant lower extremity injuries (and these are likely to continue to recur) , I would be very guarded about his long-term prognosis as a RB.

DocBar
11-10-2013, 01:30 PM
There was a Northwestern study published in the March issue of the Journal of American Sports Medicine that examined records of NFL OL and DL, who had herniated disc surgery during their active careers over a 2 decade period (~1990-2010) that were publicly available.......in order to determine their career outcomes, They found a total of 52. Not only did 80 percent of these particular players return to the game, they also played an average of 33 games during three years after the surgery. About half of them attained starter position. When you look at these surprisingly encouraging number, you must keep in mind that the 52 number was for those known to the public through the media and the stats through the NFL. The specific surgery and pathology in most cases were not available to assess "minor" vs "major"........and, we all know that public information released by the teams many times is of dubious accuracy. As we also know, NFL players have surgeries that are never made public. Not only that, but you need to ask yourself how many NFL players have had back issues, retired and THEN had surgeries, instead of opting to try continuting their careers through surgery. These latter players would not be counted in these stats and would likely add significantly to the "poor outcome" category.

There are no other studies I am aware of NFL players (including RBs) undergoing back surgeries. With this said, yes, OL and DL put great amounts of strain on their backs, but they do not typically sustain this strain under high impact situations from not only head-on, but also from the sides as is the case with RBs. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that after one level of disc problems are demonstrated, other levels being affected may be not far behind. As disc problems may commonly be the result of compensation for other injuries, even if this episode of Foster's disc problem is surgically corrected, with his recurrent history of significant lower extremity injuries (and these are likely to continue to recur) , I would be very guarded about his long-term prognosis as a RB.Every single person I know that has had back surgery either had multiple surgeries or were going to have a second procedure done in the near future. I have no faith in Foster returning to form and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he calls it a career. He's got other things he's into and would certainly be welcomed into the NFL commentator world. He's very articulate and quirky in a funny way.

thunderkyss
11-10-2013, 03:35 PM
LINK (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/11/foster-out-sunday-against-cardinals-could-require-season-ending-surgery/)

Hadn't been putting in my regular 30 hour days on the forum.... preoccupied with other crap. Just now finding out about Arian...... arrrggh.

I'm running low on koolaid.

GlassHalfFull
11-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Hadn't been putting in my regular 30 hour days on the forum.... preoccupied with other crap. Just now finding out about Arian...... arrrggh.

I'm running low on koolaid.

I want 30 hour days.

As for the Foster news, ugh. Yuck. Depressing

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery, whether he never plays another down of football or not.

Mr.Scarface
11-10-2013, 06:46 PM
This game is why you need Arian. Tate cannot make the same plays........

hradhak
11-10-2013, 06:57 PM

Yeah you have to wonder how this offense would do these last 3 games with Foster. We can't seem to move the ball in the 2nd half because our run game shuts down.

SchaubApologist
11-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Arian Foster's contract holds dead cap $:

2014 - 7.5mil
2015 - 5mil

I think he's cut after the season. No sense in holding onto the contract when it can come off the books in 2015 (coincidentally when we have to resign Watt to a MEGA contract). A 28 y/o rb coming off a ton of usage + back surgery does not bode well for his look.

Texans need to get our cap in order, and I think we can be competitive next season while shedding a few of our big $ contracts, such as:

Arian Foster
Matt Schaub (3.5mil for '14, 7mil for '15)
Owen Daniels
Antonio Smith
Ed Reed
Danieal Manning

Hell, I would include Jonathan Joseph if I knew what his contract looked like, but it's been restructured so many damn times (thanks rick) it's a bit hazy.

legacy_gt
11-11-2013, 12:03 AM
it's a serious injury. think about it, you're going to repair your back and then rehab so you can get hit again. depending on how he heals after surgery, I wouldn't count on foster being the same longterm when he returns, especially with the hamstring issues too.

it may be that his hamstring issues was a result (hamstrings are pulled from the back) from some major back issues.

silvrhand
11-11-2013, 12:07 AM

He's only playing with cracked ribs... No problem yo!

dalemurphy
11-11-2013, 12:14 AM

His assessment of our players injuries are incredibly ACCURATE!

Wouldnt that pretty much guarantee he has no relationship at all with Texan medical personnel?

MEGA SWATT
11-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Get well soon AF

CloakNNNdagger
11-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Foster underwent his back surgery on Thursday.

ChampionTexan
03-16-2014, 01:48 AM
For those interested, Arian's back on Twitter again (whoopee!), and tweeted this out earlier this morning:

Arian FosterVerified account ‏@ArianFoster

And for those wondering, I've been medically cleared by my doctor.

LINK (https://twitter.com/ArianFoster/status/445075760743600128)

Carr Bombed
03-16-2014, 01:56 AM
For those interested, Arian's back on Twitter again (whoopee!), and tweeted this out earlier this morning:

LINK (https://twitter.com/ArianFoster/status/445075760743600128)

I'll still wait on the "anti-awesome" results. :)

ArlingtonTexan
04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/arian-foster-back-surgery-wasnt-as-major-as-it-sounded/

Foster claims it was not 'major'

chicagotexan2
04-09-2014, 01:34 PM
It's not major because season ending bak problems are minor? This guy has gone from colorful and entertaining to annoying real fast in my book.

Hervoyel
04-09-2014, 01:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/arian-foster-back-surgery-wasnt-as-major-as-it-sounded/

Foster claims it was not 'major'

Awesome! Can't wait to see him rip off another 1,400-1,500 yard season next year. Looking forward to it!

EllisUnit
04-09-2014, 06:07 PM
That's what I'm saying. The guy has been a touch down and yardage machine besides last season due to injury, but when he was in there he was effective. I don't see how so many have given up on him for half a bad season. I havent.

thunderkyss
04-10-2014, 07:47 AM
That's what I'm saying. The guy has been a touch down and yardage machine besides last season due to injury, but when he was in there he was effective. I don't see how so many have given up on him for half a bad season. I havent.

With Arian saying it wasn't major, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they pulled the plug on him after 6 straight losses, like they pulled the plug on Matt... the fix was in & we were going to get that #1 pick.

steelbtexan
04-10-2014, 10:08 AM
I keep thinking of Shaun Cody

thunderkyss
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM

There are no other studies I am aware of NFL players (including RBs) undergoing back surgeries. With this said, yes, OL and DL put great amounts of strain on their backs, but they do not typically sustain this strain under high impact situations from not only head-on, but also from the sides as is the case with RBs. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that after one level of disc problems are demonstrated, other levels being affected may be not far behind. As disc problems may commonly be the result of compensation for other injuries, even if this episode of Foster's disc problem is surgically corrected, with his recurrent history of significant lower extremity injuries (and these are likely to continue to recur) , I would be very guarded about his long-term prognosis as a RB.

MSR

Thanks Doc