PDA

View Full Version : Does Gary return?

silvrhand
11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Given what we now know he had a mini stroke do you think Gary will return to the Texans as a coach?

ATXtexanfan
11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I think he does.

Double Barrel
11-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I think he returns, as well.

Hopefully not against the advice of his doctors.

drs23
11-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I think so. Just heard on the radio that he's not making the trip to AZ but should be back after they return.

Good to see Kubiak going home. Hope he comes out clean and doesn't have anymore of these episodes.

corytx8
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I would like to see him return, but only in good health and when cleared by doctors.

infantrycak
11-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Really, a poll to speculate on a medical condition? Here - Magic 8 Ball. (http://www.ask8ball.net/)

Appropriately when I asked about Kubiak the response was "ask again later."

YeaLikeRightNow
11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Really, a poll to speculate on a medical condition? Here - Magic 8 Ball. (http://www.ask8ball.net/)

LOL, I just asked the Magic 8 Ball if Gary kubiak would return to coaching and it said: "Without A Doubt"!

Sigma
11-05-2013, 10:17 AM

I got this answer:

My sources say no

TheIronDuke
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately, yes.

Runner
11-05-2013, 10:29 AM

I think it is interesting to compare the comments related to a well-liked coach's health to those of a well-liked players health. There was a lot of sentiment that Kubiak should move on before this incident, but it seems clear posters are softening on the opinion that he should be fired. Contrast that to a player like DeMeco Ryans. He gets hurt and opinion goes way down - he's overpaid, he's no good anymore, throw the bum out.

I understand this isn't an apples to apples comparison because of salary cap and roster number considerations. However, a head coach's health problems can have a huge impact on the success of the team. Why risk it or treat the coach any differently than a player? He might not be 100% anymore.

I think it is because in the end coaches are seen as people and players are seem as commodities (to put it politely).

Scooter
11-05-2013, 10:53 AM
very very very different situations. kubiak had a mini-stroke, a life threatening condition whether he coaches again or not. ryans blew out his achilles, a benign injury that hurt his playing ability for a year or two. had ryans had a heart attack or cancer or an issue of that sort, there would have only been support for him because it's a serious issue with the man, not the job. the achilles injury affected the player, and as such he was on the field but not able to perform at the level he was being paid, and speculated that he'd never get back to that level. i dont think the issue of his coaching ability is being softened, people just have the decency to put that talk on hold while showing concern that the man will be able to live a full life. if he's able to get back on the sideline, the debate will be free to continue.

bOODRO87
11-05-2013, 10:56 AM
8 years and a record of 61-59, right? I would hope not.

Porky
11-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I just find this a little distasteful for some reason. :kitten:

Runner
11-05-2013, 11:36 AM

I thought the Kubiak Collapses thread had been kept fairly clean to show concern and get wells. There is still football to discuss, so it is good to have a separate thread.

Anyway, if I had a health scare I'd appreciate my company if it gave me the next year off at full pay, even if I did have to then find another job (or be rich enough to retire anyway) the year after that. I think they showd some decency. Kubiak may like that too. Who knows?

HoustonFrog
11-05-2013, 11:38 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/275346/texans-gary-kubiak-cleared-to-leave-hospital

Texans coach Gary Kubiak has been cleared to leave the hospital and return home.
There are conflicting reports out there on whether Kubiak sustained a "mini-stroke" or not. Either way, it's a fantastic sign that he's already out of the hospital after collapsing during Sunday night's loss to the Colts. In fact, he's expected to miss just one week of work and then return to the team ahead of Week 11. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will guide the Texans as they prepare for the Cardinals this week.

Mr. White
11-05-2013, 11:42 AM

I think it's a legit question that probably isn't worth asking right now. As a fan of the team, I'm pretty concerned with what the immediate future holds. There's so much unknown right now and we're not talking about an organization that's known for it's transparency.

I agree that some of the replies that I've seen are pretty distasteful.

AMartin56
11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
He will be fine but should retire from coaching. It's too risky. The job isn't going to be any less stressful any time soon. He should risk a major stroke so we can win maybe two more games from here out?

Personally I think he and Marvin Lewis should open a bed and breakfast together and entertain guests with thrilling tales of their .500 record coaching careers.

Either that or he could probably get a job with the Aggie athletic department. It would be less stressful and I think he would enjoy it considering how often he uses the word 'kids' to describe grown men.

Dread-Head
11-05-2013, 11:43 AM
He should chill for a minute and let himself heal. Football is a beautiful game, BUT it's not worth his life or his health.

Mr. White
11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/275346/texans-gary-kubiak-cleared-to-leave-hospital

This is something I've wondered about...

There are conflicting reports out there on whether Kubiak sustained a "mini-stroke" or not.

I'm guessing the organization is the source of the conflict. Seems like they've been playing this down ever since it happened.

I might be totally obtuse here, but how does anyone really know that this was really a mini-stroke? Did someone leak it from the hospital or is that just based on observational opinion?

infantrycak
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
He will be fine but should retire from coaching. It's too risky. The job isn't going to be any less stressful any time soon. He should risk a major stroke so we can win maybe two more games from here out?

Personally I think he and Marvin Lewis should open a bed and breakfast together and entertain guests with thrilling tales of their .500 record coaching careers.

I am sure he deeply appreciates the abundance of concern for his health from those who wanted him fired.

Double Barrel
11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I am sure he deeply appreciates the abundance of concern for his health from those who wanted him fired.

lol! yeah, I'm sensing an undercurrent of agenda with the "he should just retire for health reasons" in many posts.

AMartin56
11-05-2013, 12:27 PM
lol! yeah, I'm sensing an undercurrent of agenda with the "he should just retire for health reasons" in many posts.

I don't think you'll win the Sherlock Holmes award for that one.

Most realists want him to be healthy but think he should also be gone. For many reasons before this incident. Now you can add the distraction of everyone around him waiting for him to faint again.

Kubiak supporters should tell me this: Why do you want to continue to run him out there now that he has a a history of medical problems and is EASILY the most haggard looking NFL coach on the sidelines each week? Yes.... I want him gone. But I also don't want to see him have a major stroke on TV either.

silvrhand
11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I think it is interesting to compare the comments related to a well-liked coach's health to those of a well-liked players health. There was a lot of sentiment that Kubiak should move on before this incident, but it seems clear posters are softening on the opinion that he should be fired. Contrast that to a player like DeMeco Ryans. He gets hurt and opinion goes way down - he's overpaid, he's no good anymore, throw the bum out.

I understand this isn't an apples to apples comparison because of salary cap and roster number considerations. However, a head coach's health problems can have a huge impact on the success of the team. Why risk it or treat the coach any differently than a player? He might not be 100% anymore.

I think it is because in the end coaches are seen as people and players are seem as commodities (to put it politely).

Yes this is exactly my point, thanks for the clarity, I personally have wanted Kubiak gone, but not that gone. I am also skewed as my father had a massive stroke and we took care of him for 5 years before he passed. I would not wish this on anyone.

Porky
11-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Most realists want him to be healthy but think he should also be gone. For many reasons before this incident. Now you can add the distraction of everyone around him waiting for him to faint again.

Kubiak supporters should tell me this: Why do you want to continue to run him out there now that he has a a history of medical problems and is EASILY the most haggard looking NFL coach on the sidelines each week? Yes.... I want him gone. But I also don't want to see him have a major stroke on TV either.

Ever seen Tom Coughlin? That dude sleeps in a coffin and becomes the undead every morning to coach a dead team.

I just don't like the whole survey thing for some reason. I can't quite pinpoint why, but we are talking about a man's health, his livelihood, and his life in a cavalier fashion. Let's show some class folks. At least let's get him back to health, see what the Dr's say and take it from there.

I've called for Kubes scalp at times too, but I can't wish anyone bad health. That's just bad karma right there.

silvrhand
11-05-2013, 12:39 PM

wtf? As hard as it for you to grasp some people may not like him as a coach but there is no doubt Kubiak is a very good person. Does that mean I want him to by my coach no, does that mean I want him dead. Absolutely not.

Playoffs
11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
He'll be back next week to continue the education of Case and the tailoring of the offense to his skillset.

YeaLikeRightNow
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM
He'll be back next week to continue the education of Case and the tailoring of the offense to his skillset.

I'll say I am more sure than unsure that Kubiak will return as head coach.

However, I can foresee a "changed" man, a man quite a bit more faithful in things beyond his control...if ya know what I mean.

HOU-TEX
11-05-2013, 01:17 PM

I consider myself a realist and yes, I want to see him healthy first and foremost. Additionally, I'd like to see him replaced. However, the realist in me knows McNair's not going to get rid of him this year. Which is why I try to stay away from filling my noodle full of fantasy coaches and threads of the like.

Man, if one episode gives him a history of medical problems I must be considered a burrito away from being 6 foot under.

Norg
11-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I think he said he will already miss the cards game

House of Pain
11-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I just don't like the whole survey thing for some reason. I can't quite pinpoint why, but we are talking about a man's health, his livelihood, and his life in a cavalier fashion. Let's show some class folks. At least let's get him back to health, see what the Dr's say and take it from there.

That's why I just voted 'unsure' because I am unsure of WTF this poll is asking.

Marcus
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
wtf? As hard as it for you to grasp some people may not like him as a coach but there is no doubt Kubiak is a very good person. Does that mean I want him to by my coach no, does that mean I want him dead. Absolutely not.

Be that as it may, DB's statement about the anti-Kubiak crowd "wishing he'd retire for health reasons" is spot on. It's about as disingenuous as it gets.

DocBar
11-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Kubiak should come back. Pure speculation, but I would say that the stress of a 5 game losing streak and a potential full blown QB controversy took its toll and greatly contributed to a TIA.

Runner
11-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I think it is interesting to compare the comments related to a well-liked coach's health to those of a well-liked player's health. There was a lot of sentiment that Kubiak should move on before this incident, but it seems clear posters are softening on the opinion that he should be fired. Contrast that to a player like DeMeco Ryans. He gets hurt and opinion goes way down - he's overpaid, he's no good anymore, throw the bum out.

For instance, see the current Arian Foster thread. The Texans gave him so many touches last year he was virtually guaranteed an injury plagued season this year.

Now he is being labeled a quitter because he's hurt.

texanhead08
11-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Gary will be the coach as long as Gary wants to be the coach because Bob likes him.

Surreal McCoy
11-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Given what we now know he had a mini stroke do you think Gary will return to the Texans as a coach?

Let's hope so!

Tearstain
11-05-2013, 03:29 PM
I lost my mum to a stroke. If you're reading this think of your family and retire.

The only stress you should have now is screaming grandchildren.

You have been givem a warning. Don't ignore it like my parent did :(

msbbc833
11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I lost my mum to a stroke. If you're reading this think of your family and retire.

You have been givem a warning. Don't ignore it like my parent did :(

Well lets not forget strokes happen due to underlying pathology (atrial fibrillation, hyerptension, hyperlipidemia). Trust me Gary is getting a full workup of why this stroke happened and its underlying cause will be treated. Strokes can be prevented.

Seegara
11-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I hope he's medically able to come back, I just hope he doesn't. But if we can't have it both ways, let's wish him a recovery. Football is just a game.

darnbni99a
11-05-2013, 07:06 PM
i voted unsure...

but i would expect him to if hes completely healthy

Showtime100
11-05-2013, 07:13 PM

I'll bet he, at least, can see the two things are totally different.

I want him gone as Head Coach, I have for years. That doesn't mean I wish any harm to the guy. I'm thrilled he's doing well. In a perfect world he would come back and be the coach we all want him to be, but I don't think he'll be any different in terms of HC when he comes back.

Norg
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
gary would make a hell of a OC or QB coach .............

DocBar
11-05-2013, 07:33 PM

You have been givem a warning. Don't ignore it like my parent did :(I'm sorry about your loss. I was on the phone with my mom when she had her 1st stroke stroke. I sounded exactly like her when I had mine. Thankfully, we both survived.

Well lets not forget strokes happen due to underlying pathology (atrial fibrillation, hyerptension, hyperlipidemia). Trust me Gary is getting a full workup of why this stroke happened and its underlying cause will be treated. Strokes can be prevented. Stress releases hormones and enzymes that shrink arteries. Do not underestimate the effects of stress in regards to a stroke or TIA. I've found that I can keep my BP under control as long as I watch what I eat and don't let work stress me out. I've learned that stepping back, clearing my mind and taking a deep breath help me tremendously(it helps not having a 40 second clock going in the background). I'm also able to leave work at work. I absolutely do not take work home with me. I don't know if an NFL coach can do that. I have tens to hundreds to thousands of people watching what I do at work, not millions. And not on TV.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2013, 07:42 PM
He should chill for a minute and let himself heal. Football is a beautiful game, BUT it's not worth his life or his health.

Bravo!! :clap:

Love him or hate him, but love or hate him as the head football coach of the Houston Texans not as a man with a family. I hope he takes as much time as he needs to heal.

Part of me hopes he resigns as head coach and football altogether. Head coaches nowadays are under so much stress, work way too many hours and because of working too much probably eat like SHyte. See also, Coach Fox. Prayers are with him as well.

DocBar
11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Bravo!! :clap:

Love him or hate him, but love or hate him as the head football coach of the Houston Texans not as a man with a family. I hope he takes as much time as he needs to heal.

Part of me hopes he resigns as head coach and football altogether. Head coaches nowadays are under so much stress, work way too many hours and because of working too much probably eat like SHyte. See also, Coach Fox. Prayers are with him as well.Everything but the hours are under your control, though. You can spend 14 hours watching game film or watching youtube and not be the least stressed. Stress is purely mental and controllable. If the Texans were 6-2, Kubiak wouldn't be nearly as stressed. He just needs to realize when he's done his best. It has to reach a point where there isn't something on film that he missed or some drill that he didn't think of. Kubiak needs to find that point at where he's done all he can do and be confident going into the game. I think that Keenum's success should relieve a lot of that stress. He's making a lot of positive plays and very few negative plays.

Naija Texan
11-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Honestly, I sort of hope not for the sake of his health.

Things aren't going to get easier with our fanbase and the pressure to succeed seems to drive Kubiak to try to do perhaps too much. We saw in the second half of the game Sunday night, he really is the brains behind the offense meaning that another season would bring more games and pressure to do more to fix things.

Personally, I'd be surprised if he didn't retire at the end of this season for a year or two and comeback later once he is out of the stroke woods as a coordinator.

CretorFrigg
11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Honestly, I sort of hope not for the sake of his health.

Things aren't going to get easier with our fanbase and the pressure to succeed seems to drive Kubiak to try to do perhaps too much. We saw in the second half of the game Sunday night, he really is the brains behind the offense meaning that another season would bring more games and pressure to do more to fix things.

Personally, I'd be surprised if he didn't retire at the end of this season for a year or two and comeback later once he is out of the stroke woods as a coordinator.

Is it possible a heavy workload / sleep deprivation can lead to a mini-stroke? Why are we attributing this to his work?

steelbtexan
11-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Hopefully not this yr.

He needs to take his time, spend time with his family and get well.

Godspeed Gary,

Thoughts and Prayers

ObsiWan
11-06-2013, 12:41 AM

I asked this:
will Kubiak return, this season, to coach the Texans to the playoffs?

the Magic 8 ball's response was:

"Outlook good"
:clap:

Norg
11-06-2013, 01:44 AM
I think gary is not a quitter hes the type of person were football is his life he enjoys being in football that's what hes been doing for a lonnnnggg time had a player and coach and he enjoys it its not really work 2 him

but IDK we will cee how this season goes

joking I bet Mcnair FIres Kubes just to give him some time off LOL

stonewhite
11-06-2013, 03:04 AM
I wish Kubiak the absolute best. I've been wanting him gone for a while but now with the success we have been seeing with keenum it really makes me think that Kubiaks coaching appeared horrible because of how bad our QB is/was.

We didn't look so bad in the first half of the game Sunday night

Mr. White
11-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Part of me hopes he resigns as head coach and football altogether. Head coaches nowadays are under so much stress, work way too many hours and because of working too much probably eat like SHyte. See also, Coach Fox. Prayers are with him as well.

I think Kubiak's problem is also exacerbated by the fact that he calls the plays on offense. If/when he does come back, it would probably do him some good to turn over the play-calling to Dennison.

CloakNNNdagger
11-06-2013, 07:25 AM
I think Kubiak's problem is also exacerbated by the fact that he calls the plays on offense. If/when he does come back, it would probably do him some good to turn over the play-calling to Dennison.

Andre, earlier this week (Monday) eluded to the fact that Dennison was the play caller after Gary left us.

(on if Head Coach Gary Kubiak missed practice this week and if it would impact game preparation or if Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison has that in control) “If he’s not here, then Rico (Rick Dennison) can handle it. That’s pretty much it. When you have adversity, you just have to adjust to it. Right now, we’ve been going through a lot of adversity. This is another piece of it that we have to deal with. In my opinion, I think he’ll be back.”

2slik4u
11-06-2013, 08:43 AM
No. Heard on TV that doctors want him to stay away for at least 90 days. That would be the rest of the season.

PockyAF
11-06-2013, 08:54 AM
No. Heard on TV that doctors want him to stay away for at least 90 days. That would be the rest of the season.
Wish Kubes a speedy recovery.

With that said, if the above is true than it probably bought him at least another year

No way softy Bob have the gall to canned him after this season, with what has happened

kingtexan
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I am sure his motivation as a coach will get him back on the sideline this season, but I still feel that both Kubiak and Smith should be fired for the Matt Schaub fiasco. Matt should have never been given a new contract.

GNTLEWOLF
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Don't know about this season, but he'll be back.

EllisUnit
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
We all know we only lost to Indy because Kubiak wasnt calling the offense in the 2nd half, everyone could see the difference/lack of creativity with Dennison calling the game. I know some people want hard headed kubiak gone, but i have seen a different play caller since Case has become the QB. I am willing to give kubiak a shot to see what he and case can do, and if KC and Indy are any indication then i like what i see.

michaelm
11-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Two completely different topics in my mind. I admire the man, and his contribution to Texans history, and wish him well in all aspects of life, including his health.
I do, however want to see a coaching change. His health concerns do not change that in any way.

So yes, at an appropriate time, Fire Gary Kubiak. (now is obviously not that time)

Exascor
11-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Two completely different topics in my mind. I admire the man, and his contribution to Texans history, and wish him well in all aspects of life, including his health.
I do, however want to see a coaching change. His health concerns do not change that in any way.

So yes, at an appropriate time, Fire Gary Kubiak. (now is obviously not that time)It IS 2 different topics. The fact that some people call for Kubiak to get fired for weeks or even years then use the "he should retire - it's good for his health" crap is self-serving garbage. They don't care one bit about his health they just want Kubiak gone.

After seeing Keenum in the past 2 games, my view is shifting to give Kubiak and co 1 more lame duck year. I'm not completely there yet but the next 8 games will help.

infantrycak
11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Two completely different topics in my mind.

There are people who cheered and/or were pleased (some even hoping for it) when Schaub went down.

There are people who cheered Case getting a shot without any pleasure in Schaub's injury.

The two topics can be completely different, but they are often not.

AMartin56
11-06-2013, 12:24 PM
It IS 2 different topics. The fact that some people call for Kubiak to get fired for weeks or even years then use the "he should retire - it's good for his health" crap is self-serving garbage. They don't care one bit about his health they just want Kubiak gone..

I do that...and I'm not ashamed of it. It's bascially short hand for 'I would never wish bad health on anyone' with 'If this is what it's going to take for change I'll take it. After all it took an injury to finally get Schaub pulled'.

There are bad people in the world, but I don't think people that want to see recent events force change should be included in that category. Frankly we're seeing the frustration start to boil over because the current Texans regime would be well out of second chances with any other owner. And most with 'real jobs' can't imagine the current level of suck occuring in their workplace without SOMETHING being done. And yet the Texans stay the course...

Exascor
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM
And most with 'real jobs' can't imagine the current level of suck occuring in their workplace without SOMETHING being done. And yet the Texans stay the course...Here are my problems with that. First, the NFL is so far away from the "real" business you just can't compare. 31 teams end every year by missing the playoffs or losing their last game of the year. Every year teams have to figure out what is the best for the club - change or stability. If this was the real world there would be many shades of success, not just the Superbowl and 31 failures.

You can go ahead and say it's time for a change with the Texans. I do too. I am Superbowl starved tbh. Does change mean you will be successful in the future? We could get a Jim Harbaugh and be instant successes right? We could also get Bruce Matthews, Jason Garrett or Greg Schiano.

Moving on from Kubiak is a HUGE risk for McNair. Kubiak is a know commodity. He's had success. Enough? Maybe not. There ARE legitimate reasons he's failed in the past. There ARE legitimate reasons to let him go. McNair has to weigh them and decide what is best for the team. If he decides to move on, will the replacement be better, same or worse? Do we really know someone will be better?

Example:
Andy Reid. It was time to move on. Philly fans were disgusted seeing their team fail time and time again. They could care less that the team had 9 playoff appearances, 4 NFC champion game appearances and 1 Superbowl appearance in 14 years under Reid. The Eagles bring in a fresh coach with an innovative system. Have they been awesome after the coaching change? Nope. They are 4-5 after Reid took them to a terrible 4-12 season. Improved? Maybe. Was it Reid's fault they sucked? Yeah - he sucks so bad as a coach he's lead his new team with a garbage offense to 9-0.

Keep Kubiak and you have stability. Stability means players on the roster are also known commodities. Scouts know what the coaches like. Players know what the coaches like. Players know the system and can mentor new players...

Fire Kubiak and you have a great big ?.

Changes are needed but to what extent they are made is really up to McNair.

AMartin56
11-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I understand your point about not letting perfect be the enemy of good enough.

And I don't think that we are likely to see an Andy Reid style turnaround no matter who we hire.

But something has to give. I'm not going to go into my list of Kubiak issues again but it's time for a new direction. The excuses of his supporters are endless. The team needs a bit of fresh air IMO. I have ZERO interest in seeing Kubiak with a full season of Keenum....not when he was the reason why Schaub was being run out there long after his milk had gone bad...

I have friends that jump their support from team to team...some from winner to winner...some because they admire a particular player (usually a QB which often means jumping from successful team to sucessful team). I tend to pick a regional team (I went to HS in Houston but no longer live there and I can't stand Jerry Jones and the Cowboys). At one point I might have questioned their loyalty but I now see that they enjoy football much more than I do.

The Kubiak regime and their inability to address obvious performance over their (long tenure) is making me lose interest in football in general (especially since my 'other' team...the Longorns have similar coaching issues of their own). I couldn't even enjoy the first half the other night because this team is so snake bit that I knew the other shoe was going to drop BEFORE Kubiak collapsed. After while there is only so much a fan can take.