PDA

View Full Version : Is Having a Roof Over Your Head That Important?

CloakNNNdagger
11-02-2013, 08:19 AM
With the roof at Reliant "rumored to be open this Sunday night, it seemed timely to revisit the "Open Roof" experience. Consider this the "gratuitus" open roof thread for 2013. This article was published just before this season began, and touches nicely on every aspect of the subject.

A roof unused: Texans punt on opening their stadium to the elements
By Eric Berger
August 11, 2013

After the Pittsburgh game, the team developed a roof policy that states in part, "We will consider opening the roof at Reliant Stadium when the game time temperature is projected to be between 50 and 80 degrees." The policy also says when there is a good chance of rain during a game, the roof will be closed.

It's a policy that might as well have not been written at all.

Open and shut case: See when the Texans have had the Reliant roof open or closed

Since its inception, according to a Chronicle analysis of weather during games in which the Texans have closed their roof, the team has adhered to its own policy just half of the time.

That is, in 22 of the 46 closed-roof, regular season and playoff contests since the Pittsburgh game, the game time temperature was between 50 and 80 degrees and there was not a good chance of rain.

Team officials say they're simply catering to public desire.

"It's kind of a juggling act of trying to keep 70,000 people happy," said Kevin Cooper, a spokesman for the Texans.

Excluding the 2008 season, when damage from Hurricane Ike forced the team to open its roof for all games, the Texans have closed their roof in 57 of 80 regular season games, or 71 percent of the time.

The team also has opened the roof less often as it has become more competitive.

Cooper firmly denied that noise and a desire for a stronger home field advantage factor into the team's roof decisions. Nevertheless, during seasons in which the Texans have had a winning record (2009, 2011 and 2012) the team has closed the roof for 92 percent of regular season games. Last season, the team's best ever, the Texans did not open the roof at all.THE REST OF THE STORY (By Eric Berger August 11, 2013)

Speedy
11-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Texans record with roof closed:
24-25 .490 all-time
21-17 .553 under Kubiak

Texans record with roof open:
23-18 .561 all-time
15-6 .714 under Kubiak

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Texans record with roof closed:
24-25 .490 all-time
21-17 .553 under Kubiak

Texans record with roof open:
23-18 .561 all-time
15-6 .714 under Kubiak

So in other words, keep it open.

houstonspartan
11-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing this is because it's a national prime time game. Roof open, great blimp shots that look good in HD, etc..

CloakNNNdagger
11-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Another thing about Sunday's game. I hope that they've made appropriate arrangements for the field to be fully recovered from later afternoon game today.........Battle of the Piney Woods - SFA vs SHSU.................from both an aesthetic and safety standpoint.

Speedy
11-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Another thing about Sunday's game. I hope that they've made appropriate arrangements for the field to be fully recovered from later afternoon game today.........Battle of the Piney Woods - SFA vs SHSU.................from both an aesthetic and safety standpoint.

Right. I thought they were using an artificial surface for non-Texans games, but they were using grass in the UH game Thursday. I guess they don't have enough time to make the switch from tonight's game.

texanhead08
11-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Right. I thought they were using an artificial surface for non-Texans games, but they were using grass in the UH game Thursday. I guess they don't have enough time to make the switch from tonight's game.

They had the natural surface at the UH game Thursday. I heard they didn't want to put the grass outside because of all the rain so they didn't switch the fields out. UH was told it takes 48hrs to switch it which is why they were forced to play Memphis at BBVA and why UH is playing UCinn at Rice later this month. If they have the turf for SHSU vs SFA then the Texans and LSSR are full of ****.

Then again with the roof policies that they have been telling us for years most of us knew that already.

thunderkyss
11-02-2013, 06:05 PM
I really don't care. It was my understanding the roof was built the way it is to allow real grass to be grown on the field. But closed for the game-time experience. Fans wanted the roof closed, livestock wanted the roof open.

I'm fine with it either way. But during the day, it affects the game with the sun & all. At night, not so much.

paycheck71
11-02-2013, 06:06 PM
They had the natural surface at the UH game Thursday. I heard they didn't want to put the grass outside because of all the rain so they didn't switch the fields out. UH was told it takes 48hrs to switch it which is why they were forced to play Memphis at BBVA and why UH is playing UCinn at Rice later this month. If they have the turf for SHSU vs SFA then the Texans and LSSR are full of ****.

Then again with the roof policies that they have been telling us for years most of us knew that already.

Looks like the grass is in for the SHSU vs SFA game. Saw it was on WatchESPN app, so checked it out just for that.

Speedy
11-02-2013, 06:37 PM
I heard they didn't want to put the grass outside because of all the rain so they didn't switch the fields out.

They've got 2 1/2 fields of grass pallets. They didn't/can't put them all inside.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/f6b1504574f5554d239069366f9ebb04e9c78e7.jpg

There's what the field looks like for the SFA-SHSU game. If it's the same turf that UH used Thursday, which as bad as it looks and with the Texans playing at home this week, it just might be the same, then the pallets the Texans will play on have been outside all week.

bckey
11-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm old school and believe the elements are part of football.

DocBar
11-02-2013, 08:50 PM
I like the roof open unless it's hot. I wasn't at the Pittsburgh game, but it looked brutal from couch.

:peek:

Norg
11-02-2013, 10:23 PM
its a night game and no rain why wouldn't the roof be open wont make any difference tho positive or negative

eriadoc
11-03-2013, 01:42 AM
I like the roof open unless it's hot. I wasn't at the Pittsburgh game, but it looked brutal from couch.

:peek:

As I've said before on this topic, the really dangerous weather here in Houston is the heat. No one's freezing to death in this city like they can up north. So I understand the upper limit on the 50-80 rule. I do not understand the 50 part of the rule, nor do I understand why they made a rule that they subsequently ignore almost completely.

texanhead08
11-03-2013, 07:07 AM
As I've said before on this topic, the really dangerous weather here in Houston is the heat. No one's freezing to death in this city like they can up north. So I understand the upper limit on the 50-80 rule. I do not understand the 50 part of the rule, nor do I understand why they made a rule that they subsequently ignore almost completely.

I went to a game at old Texas Stadium and it was in the 30's outside and in your seats you were still comfortable. The way Reliant is designed there isn't any way for the outside wind to come in I don't think its going to ever get cold enough in Houston for the fans to be uncomfortable.

Lucky
11-03-2013, 09:56 AM
From houstontexaxns.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Roof-Forecast-Texans-vs-Colts/4866866a-90dd-41c6-8b5e-79ac39de9b04)

The weather on Sunday night is forecast to be between 56-70 degrees with a 0% chance of rain. If conditions remain the same, we would expect to play with an open roof on Sunday night. Please dress accordingly. The final decision will be made by team executives two hours prior to kickoff.

handswarmer
11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Glad we don't have t deal with that bullcrap (open or not open) up here in Baltimore....

Excessive heat is the only element I wouldn't want to see a game played in...but Miami and Jacksonville always pose a challenge to teams early in the season and late in the season....

bring on the snow and rain and wind....