PDA

View Full Version : What happened to us?

Ranger Tom
10-27-2013, 11:36 AM
This time last year we were 6-1. Can someone please tell me what changed? The roster isn't that different, the staff has the same people.

Did we just have a softer schedule last year? Or a really tough one now?

Carr Bombed
10-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Did you just come out of a coma or something?

Ben Frank
10-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Matt Schaub & Gary Kubiak

ThaShark316
10-27-2013, 12:44 PM
This time last year we were 6-1. Can someone please tell me what changed? The roster isn't that different, the staff has the same people.

Use any reason you want...but schedule? Hell nah.

bOODRO87
10-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Yep.

JCTexan
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Matt Schaub

Not to be too single minded or anything...

bckey
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Did you just come out of a coma or something?

Somebody get this man a burger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbDJ8E8zyM

OzzO
10-27-2013, 01:38 PM

That, & Texans bought into their own hype, not realizing other teams have similar aspirations. Last year was "letterman jackets" this year was "superbowl or bust" (Which should always be the goal, but perhaps they saw it as a given since they said it)

The Pencil Neck
10-27-2013, 02:22 PM
There's usually a fine line between winners and losers. Last year, we weren't as good as our record indicated and this year, we're not as bad as our record indicates.

Even though we're only a few plays from being 0-7 this year, we're also only a few plays from being 4-3.

Last year, we were getting a lot of breaks to go our way. This year, not so much.

Personally, I think the biggest factor is whatever's going on between Schaub's ears. Last year, coming off a potentially career ending foot injury, he looked like he had made some improvements. But after the two big OT games last year, he seemed to go on a steady decline. I was hoping it was just a funk he'd be able to play his way out of but now, I don't think he can.

As a team, though, this team is not far off from being the same great team it was the previous two years.

Seegara
10-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Kee-rect. Schaub never recovered from the foot injury and had a coach determined to start him anyway.

Runner
10-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Last year was an anomaly. This year the Texans are regressing to their mean.

Playoffs
10-27-2013, 03:18 PM
We're 2nd in turnovers with 16,

We're 28th in takeaways with 5,

Which leaves us 30th in turnover differential at -11.

Since 2006, no team with a negative turnover differential has finished with a winning record. (I read something to that effect recently but forget where, so I don't have a link.) Turnovers usually make the difference in the post-season, as well.

Vance87
10-27-2013, 03:27 PM
We're 2nd in turnovers with 16,

We're 28th in takeaways with 5,

Which leaves us 30th in turnover differential at -11.

Since 2006, no team with a negative turnover differential has finished with a winning record. (I read something to that effect recently but forget where, so I don't have a link.) Turnovers usually make the difference in the post-season, as well.

Well that's a bogus stat. The Broncos, Colts, and Vikings all had a negative turnover differential last year and finished with winning records.

Rey
10-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Yes, last years schedule fooled a lot of people.

Texans got fat and lucky off some fortunate situations last year. Schaub has shown that he's not good enough and was not good enough before the injury.

Kubiak like to stick to status quo. He's not a forward thinker. The organization as whole is slow to make good decisions.

I could never get excited for this season because I figured it was only a matter of time before the house of cards came crashing down.

TexansBull
10-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Watt happened last year. Schaub happened this year. Watt hasn't happened this year.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Texecutioner
10-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Your faith in Kubiak being able to make this team a true winner is what happened. This team will not ever win a SB under Kubiak, and maybe not ever under Bob Mcnair if he doesn't start holding his staff accountable. His coddling of Gary Kubiak is probably the single and most important problem this franchise still has today.

mussop
10-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's my short list.
We went into the season with

1.) A QB who has zero mobility and zero pocket presence.
2.) an offensive system that doesn't allow the QB to read defenses presnap and adjust the plays accordingly.
3.) an offensive system that handcuffs the QB with hot reads that are predictable. Making it easy for defenses to manipulate our offense into doing the predictable.
4.) a coach who refuses to make changes despite repeated failure over and over again.
5.) a coach who doesn't have the ability to make in game adjustments.
6.) a coach who doesn't have a clue how or when to incorporate things like the no huddle or hard count or moving the pocket around to slow down pass rushes.
7.) no real depth on the right side of the OL. OT Newton has been playing with injury since the middle of last season. Harris sucks and our rookie was injured early. OG Brooks is horrible at pass blocking. Jones is really a C who doesn't have the strength to play OG and our rookie Quisinbarry got hurt.

Those are just the offensive problems off the top of my head. There is even a bigger list on Defense.

Playoffs
10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Well that's a bogus stat. The Broncos, Colts, and Vikings all had a negative turnover differential last year and finished with winning records.

Yeah, I'm not remembering the stat correctly... this is all I can find right now:
Thanks to Jason Vida of ESPN Stats and Info who looked into the numbers for me. Over the past 11 years only 27 of the 132 teams that made the playoffs have had negative turnover margins.

In only three of those seasons, teams have made the playoffs with negative double-digit turnover margins. In 2004 the St. Louis Rams made the playoffs with a negative-24 turnover margin.

All of the Super Bowl winners in that span have had positive turnover margins, several with positive double-digit margins. http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/1306/playoff-teams-turnover-margins

texanhead08
10-27-2013, 04:18 PM
This is whats happening to us:
1. Offensive Turnovers
2. Lack of turnovers caused by the defense.
3. Offense imploding in late game situation
4. Bad oline play which looks worse with an immobile QB
5. Bad dline play...we can't stop the run and we get no consistent pass rush which is why #2 is what it is.
6. Suck ass special teams

Trail.Blazr
10-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Pass Rush. HUGE

mussop
10-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Would like to add this one to my list.

A coach who defends throwing the ball short of the first down marker by saying "you have to give your playmakers a chance to make plays by getting the ball to them". Then very seldom ever throws the ball in the red zone to one of the best WR's to ever play the game.

Seriously, his career high of TD's in a year is 9? I honestly don't understand why Andre hasn't demanded a trade.

HouTx11
10-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Simplified:

The New England Patriots loss(es) of last year were the blueprint to how teams can beat the defense: expose the porous secondary, which is even worse this year, particularly in the safety positions and double team JJ Watt.

The Tennessee Titans game of this year was the blueprint to how teams can beat the offense: blitz and pressure the un-mobile QB, causing him to make fatal mistakes due to bad decision making and very predictable play calling.

Thorn
10-27-2013, 07:38 PM
As long as Kubiak is the HC we are going to keep having threads like this. Despair and manic depression is our future. We are going to die horrible deaths and go to football hell where we'll all serve as butlers for Bud Adams. Occasionally Bob McNair will drop by to remark what a wonder life we are having. We'll relive the Buffalo 2nd half collapse a billion times. Occasionally for comic relief we be shown the Jags game where we blocked a punt into the Jags hands and they ran it into the end zone.

You might as well just kill yourselves now. But, before you do, please send me all your money and marijuana. I promise to take good care of both. :)

burro
10-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Here's an excel thing I made, the highlights are what I believe are the most troubling.
http://s12.postimg.org/5irw4td25/texans_problems.png

JJ Watt, who is our entire pass rush, has been neutralized and our secondary's get up and go has done got up and went.

Add in a complete disaster at o-line, a field general plagued by the yips, and a special teams unit that should be investigated for extortion and you have the difference the between this year and last.

mussop
10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Here's an excel thing I made, the highlights are what I believe are the most troubling.
http://s12.postimg.org/5irw4td25/texans_problems.png

JJ Watt, who is our entire pass rush, has been neutralized and our secondary's get up and go has done got up went

Maybe we should of gotten some help next to Watt early in the draft instead of drafting another weapon for an inept QB. It would of helped the secondary too.

Nawzer
10-27-2013, 11:32 PM
The thread title sounds like a 80's love song. We got Schubiak-ed.

JCTexan
10-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Maybe we should of gotten some help next to Watt early in the draft instead of drafting another weapon for an inept QB. It would of helped the secondary too.

Yeah, because having a legit #2 WR hasn't been a need on this team the past ten years... :sarcasm:

infantrycak
10-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah, because having a legit #2 WR hasn't been a need on this team the past ten years... :sarcasm:

And with incompetent QBs and coaching he is leading all rookie and on his way to a 900+ yd season. Horrible pick.

thunderkyss
10-27-2013, 11:53 PM
I'd like to ask the question, "Can we turn it around?"

But I don't know if there are enough people here who would want to turn it around. 9 games left & we've got to win out to have a chance at the division, unless the Colts finally start crumbling. We've got to win all but 1 to have a shot at a Wild Card.

I know it's a tall order, the deck is stacked against us, & there is little to no confidence in our leadership. But I believe the guys in that locker room have too much pride to not give it their best effort.

I'm going to imagine that our problem all along was that our team has been wanting Case to start for a long time. They see him playing against the first team defense all the time. I'm sure he was breaking contain & making plays all week long then come Sunday they saw that Schaub was an anchor... & though individually they tried the best they could to stay upbeat & give 100%, they haven't played as a team yet.

Last year's Washington Redskins went into their bye week 3-6. They won out to finish 10-6, division champs. & I don't think their team is as talented as the team we have right now.

IF we can win the next 4 (which is not as difficult as trying to win 7 in a row) we'll be in a much better position.

MEGA SWATT
10-28-2013, 12:38 AM
We got lisfranc-ed. We got Schaubed

:kingkong:

The Third Man
10-28-2013, 01:04 AM
The offensive line woes, particularly from Wade Smith and the right tackle position have negatively affected everything else. Schaub has lost his confidence, Kubiak has gone one-dimensional and the defense has fallen off. I think the defense is designed to play from ahead, but, aside from the Seahawks game, they have been playing from behind most of the season.

leebigeztx
10-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to be honest about your team. This team,much like the fans believed in all the gaudy meaningless stats and didn't look at the bones of the team.

How many times have we debated whether this was an elite offense? We always see the great stats,but the team never won shootouts against good teams. People never looked at the true stats of being terrible sustain drives and 3 and 6+. Yet,people wanted to call this an elite offense. That debate was just as bad as not having a 2nd wr who could even come close to 1000 yds in the pssing league. I won't even get started on on the qb.

Defensively,we've had some of the same debates about the ng. Wade had some success with jay ratliff,but his most success came with ted washington and jamaal williams. Yet,we never address the smallish nt which triggers wade to run blitz cushing and take him out of coverage. Why not draft or sign th kind of zero techniqe which would allow your team to control the los a lot better? I could go on,but I can't believe this team is ths bad. I thought they would win 10 games,but its looking like they will lose 10 games.

dalemurphy
10-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to be honest about your team. This team,much like the fans believed in all the gaudy meaningless stats and didn't look at the bones of the team.

How many times have we debated whether this was an elite offense? We always see the great stats,but the team never won shootouts against good teams. People never looked at the true stats of being terrible sustain drives and 3 and 6+. Yet,people wanted to call this an elite offense. That debate was just as bad as not having a 2nd wr who could even come close to 1000 yds in the pssing league. I won't even get started on on the qb.

Defensively,we've had some of the same debates about the ng. Wade had some success with jay ratliff,but his most success came with ted washington and jamaal williams. Yet,we never address the smallish nt which triggers wade to run blitz cushing and take him out of coverage. Why not draft or sign th kind of zero techniqe which would allow your team to control the los a lot better? I could go on,but I can't believe this team is ths bad. I thought they would win 10 games,but its looking like they will lose 10 games.

I really thought the addition of Hopkins, return of posey, and the disappointing end to last season would alter the offensive mindset and move the offense to a more aggressive finisher... Seeing the pass game take over late vs. sd and Tennessee, I was very excited about that possibility. Then we saw the offense fold up at 20 points vs Seattle... Hard not to point to that moment and conclude the devolution of the season is a direct result of Kubiak's failure to lead better.

And, you guys know what a fan I am of Kubiak!

Defensively, I see similar things. Wade, like Gary, seems satisfied with good enough. Nothing about wade indicates that he is focused on constantly working to identifying areas on defense where the team can be even better, pursuing that competitive edge, desperate to solve the problems that have plagued his defense, etc... How many times can the guys defense get abused and manipulated by good quarterbacks and offense coaches who expose its predictability... Yet adjustments are not even considered.

cstyle42
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM

The league is called the NFL... that's what happened. You have to a adapt year by year in this league to your competition and if you don't you get exposed ala Kubiak and Schaub. Next question...

mussop
10-28-2013, 12:13 PM
And with incompetent QBs and coaching he is leading all rookie and on his way to a 900+ yd season. Horrible pick.

And yet we are still 2 and 5. It's not whether or not he was a good pick or a bad pick. He was a good pick. The real question is whether or not he was the right pick for this team at this time. Was he higher rated than other players who played at a position of need or did smithiak fold to the public outcry for a WR?

Rey
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
And yet we are still 2 and 5. It's not whether or not he was a good pick or a bad pick. He was a good pick. The real question is whether or not he was the right pick for this team at this time. Was he higher rated than other players who played at a position of need or did smithiak fold to the public outcry for a WR?

Honestly, I'm just happy we got a good player.

mussop
10-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Honestly, I'm just happy we got a good player.

Good point! It's just hard to not question EVERYTHING when you are where we are.

Runner
10-28-2013, 12:51 PM

The Texans were long overdue for getting that #2 wide receiver. I don't see anything wrong with the pick - they can only hope to fill one hole with any one pick.

mussop
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
The Texans were long overdue for getting that #2 wide receiver. I don't see anything wrong with the pick - they can only hope to fill one hole with any one pick.

Ok coach Kubiak whatever you say.

Runner
10-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Ok coach Kubiak whatever you say.

Riiiiiiiight.

Have you ever read any other post I've made in the past five years?

mussop
10-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Riiiiiiiight.

Have you ever read any other post I've made in the past five years?

Just playin runner. Smile it's ok. :barman:

Runner
10-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Just playin runner. Smile it's ok. :barman:

I can't. My jaw still hurts from where it hit the floor after reading your comment.

Dread-Head
10-28-2013, 03:22 PM
We started out great, then we got to be all about strippers, booze and money. I blame Bill.

steelbtexan
10-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Bud and BoB were close friends.

Just heard on 26 that BoB looked up to and admired Bud.

The Texans will never win a SB as long as BoB is alive. I've got to go throw up now. (Sarcasm////)

mussop
10-29-2013, 12:25 AM

I'm always a BPA supporter. I was ok with the pick as far as telnet goes. Position wise I thought and still think it was a bad choice. The WR position was deep. I felt we could go into the second or even third round and get a quality number two guy. I also felt that giving Matt Schaub another weapon was not near as important as improving the middle of our weak ass defense. Matt already had a top 4 RB with a solid backup. A top 10 or so TE. A top 5 WR.

Adding another WR no matter how good IMO wasn't going to do mutch as long as Matt was our QB. I think my thoughts have been validated considering our record and position.

Now on to the defense. Stay with me here. This defense is closer to being dominant than most believe. The 3/4, even wades version is at its best when it has a big strong DT that can push the pocket. You add that to this defense and it changes everything. All the sudden Watt isn't getting doubled and triple teamed as much. Our OLBs actually start contributing more than just setting the edge. We start getting pressure on the QB which makes our secondary look better.

I know to sounds crazy that adding a single player could make that much difference. Show me a single 3/4 defense that was considered dominate without a stud DT. I'm not jus talking about a big guy. I'm talking about a stud DT that commanded double teams. Bet cha can't.

thunderkyss
10-29-2013, 01:41 AM
I know to sounds crazy that adding a single player could make that much difference. Show me a single 3/4 defense that was considered dominate without a stud DT. I'm not jus talking about a big guy. I'm talking about a stud DT that commanded double teams. Bet cha can't.

As far as your thoughts on adding a WR being validated.... not even you could have guessed Matt would have 9 Ints & just 8 TDs to this point. The only good thing about Schaub, was that he took care of the ball.

Then you say, "Even Wade's 3-4" Insomuch as a guy like Wilfork dominates regardless what front he's playing yes. You get a player like that & it doesn't matter, he's going to make it easier on everybody.

But we basically play a 4-3 with 3 down linemen. Mercilus is basically a DE that stands up & Brooks is a SAM line backer. What will really help us is a dominant 3 tech to take Antonio's place. He's not bringing it like he used to & while I used to think Jamison or Crick would step into that role, I think it's time to expand our search.

steelbtexan
10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
As far as your thoughts on adding a WR being validated.... not even you could have guessed Matt would have 9 Ints & just 8 TDs to this point. The only good thing about Schaub, was that he took care of the ball.

Then you say, "Even Wade's 3-4" Insomuch as a guy like Wilfork dominates regardless what front he's playing yes. You get a player like that & it doesn't matter, he's going to make it easier on everybody.

But we basically play a 4-3 with 3 down linemen. Mercilus is basically a DE that stands up & Brooks is a SAM line backer. What will really help us is a dominant 3 tech to take Antonio's place. He's not bringing it like he used to & while I used to think Jamison or Crick would step into that role, I think it's time to expand our search.

C-N-D tried to tell us to expect this type of yr from Schaub. But some didn't want to listen.

A dominant NT like Nix or as Badboy suggested Carrethers, that could draw double teams, helping stop the run between the tackles. (Texans are 3rd worst at allowing runs between the tackles) This would also help free up Watt and Mercilus to rush the passer. Nix is a 3 down NT.

Double Barrel
10-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Your faith in Kubiak being able to make this team a true winner is what happened. This team will not ever win a SB under Kubiak, and maybe not ever under Bob Mcnair if he doesn't start holding his staff accountable. His coddling of Gary Kubiak is probably the single and most important problem this franchise still has today.

Hey, Bob was not happy last January after the team collapsed and gave up a chance for HFA.

An unhappy owner...isn't that enough? :foottap:

I mean, not unhappy enough to make any significant changes, of course, but..ummm...Bob was not happy!

[/sarcasm of course]

In a day-long meeting with his coaches last week, beginning with head coach Gary Kubiak, McNair let his feelings be known. The Texans didn't reach their goal of winning the Super Bowl. He's not happy about it, but they won't change their goal for next season.

January 2013

Source (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Kubiak-Co-safe-but-far-from-resting-on-laurels-4208568.php)

What really cracks me up is the multi-part series McClain had at the end of the article:

Part 1: With Schaub not going anywhere, Texans must improve around him

:lol:

b0ng
10-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Somebody like Whitney Mercilus?

The Hopkins draft pick was a perfectly reasonable draft pick and is working out nicely so far.

EDIT: There's not one single pass rusher in the next 13 picks until you get to Tank Carradine for the 9'ers and he has been injured and has yet to play in 2013 so he wouldn't have been playing for us right now anyway. There are some LB's that have been playing really well (Kiko Alonso) but even then that doesn't really help answer the pass rush question we've had for the past couple of years.

Uncle Rico
10-29-2013, 02:40 PM
C-N-D tried to tell us to expect this type of yr from Schaub. But some didn't want to listen.

A dominant NT like Nix or as Badboy suggested Carrethers, that could draw double teams, helping stop the run between the tackles. (Texans are 3rd worst at allowing runs between the tackles) This would also help free up Watt and Mercilus to rush the passer. Nix is a 3 down NT.

Jay Ratliff? Obviously not for this year, but when healthy the guy is a load. Maybe draft best available edge rusher #1 (Clowney). Maybe can still salvage a run with the current core.

mussop
10-29-2013, 03:04 PM

Which is why I said "even wades version of the 3/4". And I totally dissagree that another 3 tech could have the same impact that another good DT would.

mussop
10-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Somebody like Whitney Mercilus?

The Hopkins draft pick was a perfectly reasonable draft pick and is working out nicely so far.

EDIT: There's not one single pass rusher in the next 13 picks until you get to Tank Carradine for the 9'ers and he has been injured and has yet to play in 2013 so he wouldn't have been playing for us right now anyway. There are some LB's that have been playing really well (Kiko Alonso) but even then that doesn't really help answer the pass rush question we've had for the past couple of years.

My whole premis is that we need to beef up the middle of our defense. More specifically the NT or DT position. Whichever you choose to call it. You fix the middle and everyone else starts looking better. Seth Pain is the last good (not great) NT we had. This defense will not reach its potential as long as it's a weakling in the middle. You put a really good player there and it changes so much. It helps cover up the ILBs so they aren't always taking in guards. When you get a push up the middle it forces the pocket to collapse which makes you OLBs more effective. When that happens the secondary can get more aggressive and make plays.

Being weak in the middle is why we don't create turnovers and don't have a pass rush other than Watt.