PDA

View Full Version : Ben Tate 4 broken ribs

TejasTom
10-21-2013, 06:01 PM
John McClain (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=McClain_on_NFL) @McClain_on_NFL

RB Ben Tate just told AP he has 4 broken ribs but expects to play after bye. Foster and Tate are injured and they need another RB.

cbs1507
10-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Wow. Arian with the hamstring and Ben with the broken ribs...the bye couldn't have came at the right time.

http://nffc.nbcsports.com/headlines/nfl/273925/ben-tate-reveals-that-he-has-4-fractured-ribs

jaayteetx
10-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Holy c rap, I've personally never had them but I hear they hurt like hell, can't imagine playing knowing your opponent is gonna pound you all day in that area. I see more fumbles in his future.

ChrisG
10-21-2013, 06:05 PM
So Foster hurt, Tate hurt and Wood cut. Options?

NCTexan
10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
So Foster hurt, Tate hurt and Wood cut. Options?

Ray Graham from the PS. Deji Karim, Jonathan Grimes.

Those seem like the obvious ones.

Cedric Benson and Beanie Wells are also available.

Vance87
10-21-2013, 06:15 PM
I had ribs for lunch yesterday. Pretty good.

Dutchrudder
10-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Soooooooooo, how about we just lose out and get high draft picks, eh? Do you think we could put in Schaub to throw some pick 6's against the Jags just to ensure we don't accidentally win?

htowntexans1985
10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
We have no running backs!!! Yiiipppeeeeee!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2013, 06:23 PM

He's a Raider.

bckey
10-21-2013, 06:25 PM
The hits just keep on coming.

chicagotexan2
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Wait there's another thread that says he has four broken ribs. So does he have four broken ribs or eight total?

Just kidding the wheels are falling off this season and I can only laugh to keep from crying.

NCTexan
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
He's a Raider.

Are you sure? He's not listed on their roster.

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster.html

htowntexans1985
10-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Isaac Redman anyone?

Double Barrel
10-21-2013, 06:32 PM
jeez...news goes from bad to worse this season...

dc_txtech
10-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Are you sure? He's not listed on their roster.

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster.html

Rotoworld and Wiki have him listed as a free agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5853/deji-karim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deji_Karim

Rey
10-21-2013, 06:36 PM
I'd activate graham and trade a conditional 7th for grimes.

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2013, 06:37 PM
The Raiders tried him out, but evidently he did not get signed.

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2013, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't be relying on a RB with 4 broken ribs to perform in 2 weeks any better than he did yesterday.

Rey
10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Also, grimes was pretty good on special teams when he was here.

Dishman
10-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't be relying on a RB with 4 broken ribs to perform in 2 weeks any better than he did yesterday.

Aren't we talking about months here? I'd think its something that dogs him. The rest of the season.

texanmojo
10-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Holy c rap, I've personally never had them but I hear they hurt like hell, can't imagine playing knowing your opponent is gonna pound you all day in that area. I see more fumbles in his future.

Uh...I can say it hurts. I broke a couple on Sept 11 when I totaled my motorcycle in Yellowstone National Park. I can't imagine him playing 2 weeks after breaking 4! It was a month before I wouldn't shed a few tears when I sneezed!

eriadoc
10-21-2013, 10:09 PM
He didn't play very well with four broken ribs, but the mere fact that he kept going out there with them is nails. Never understand why people are down on Tate.

DocBar
10-21-2013, 10:54 PM
It showed when he ran like a girl. That's not an insult towards Tate at all. It was just obvious that he was in bad pain. I've had broken or dislocated ribs on 9 separate occasions and rode bucking stock with them. Shame on Kubiak and the medical staff for sending him back out if he has 4 broken ribs. Those ribs floating around can puncture all kinds of bad stuff.

It takes much of a man to get back in and play like Tate did.

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
It showed when he ran like a girl. That's not an insult towards Tate at all. It was just obvious that he was in bad pain. I've had broken or dislocated ribs on 9 separate occasions and rode bucking stock with them. Shame on Kubiak and the medical staff for sending him back out if he has 4 broken ribs. Those ribs floating around can puncture all kinds of bad stuff.

It takes much of a man to get back in and play like Tate did.

Flack jackets and injections can do just so much. I've had 4 broken ribs with a punctured lung in the past, which gave me great empathy for the patients I've had to treat. On average, it takes a complete fracture 3 weeks just to be able to take a deep breath comfortably, let alone get a decent night's sleep. During the early healing period, if the ribs are continually re-traumatized, healing can easily be setback and prolonged, and sometimes caused not to fuse at all.

houstonhurricane
10-21-2013, 11:17 PM
What is a reasonable recovery time here?

The timing stinks because I was hoping we could trade him next week for some longer-term value...

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2013, 11:22 PM
What is a reasonable recovery time here?

The timing stinks because I was hoping we could trade him next week for some longer-term value...

Six weeks (if he doesn't aggravate it). Meanwhile, you will not see him out there during any of that period without a flak jacket.

htownfan32
10-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Beanie Wells, please?
Cierre Wood is kicking himself for smoking that blunt lol, otherwise he could have had the opportunity of his career.

houstonhurricane
10-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Six weeks (if he doesn't aggravate it). Meanwhile, you will not see him out there during any of that period without a flak jacket.

You think he can reasonably suit up against Indy?

MEGA SWATT
10-21-2013, 11:50 PM
:wow: I hope he recovers quickly. I had a broken rib or 2 in April. Took a couple weeks to feel ok breathing and sneezing and about 6 wks before feeling near 100% to do hard running and lifting

Blake
10-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Wow. Arian with the hamstring and Ben with the broken ribs...the bye couldn't have came at the right time.

:um:

DocBar
10-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Flack jackets and injections can do just so much. I've had 4 broken ribs with a punctured lung in the past, which gave me great empathy for the patients I've had to treat. On average, it takes a complete fracture 3 weeks just to be able to take a deep breath comfortably, let alone get a decent night's sleep. During the early healing period, if the ribs are continually re-traumatized, healing can easily be setback and prolonged, and sometimes caused not to fuse at all.

You're preaching to the choir, CnD. Pain tolerance can only take you so far. There's not a flak jacket devised that can really even mitigate the pain, only somewhat minimize further damage.

waynegg
10-22-2013, 12:34 AM
There were definitely a called hit squad on the Texans yesterday. Cushing, Tate, foster, almost Watt. Who else? All those hits need to be evaluated. This is some N.O. Saints bull**** right here.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 12:39 AM
There were definitely a called hit squad on the Texans yesterday. Cushing, Tate, foster, almost Watt. Who else? All those hits need to be evaluated. This is some N.O. Saints bull**** right here.Pure bullsh*t. There was some hard football played yesterday. The Texans came out on the short end of the stick.

Scooter
10-22-2013, 02:52 AM
tate gets a beer from me if i see him. i cant imagine how hard it is to breathe and stand up straight with 4 broken ribs, forget about trying to get back into an NFL game. that's some serious fortitude.

Grams
10-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Whoever it was that speared him should be fined at least. As a penalty was not called.
Tate was already on the ground when the defensive player came in helmet first into his ribs.

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
You think he can reasonably suit up against Indy?

As per a previous post.

Malloy
10-22-2013, 07:58 AM

Be like Cher, remove em! :)

HOU-TEX
10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
The source is Tate himself. I find it hard to believe he had 4 completely broken ribs. Tiny fractures? I dunno, but the team says "sore ribs". Odds are it falls somewhere in the middle. Ha

eriadoc
10-22-2013, 10:23 AM
The source is Tate himself. I find it hard to believe he had 4 completely broken ribs. Tiny fractures? I dunno, but the team says "sore ribs". Odds are it falls somewhere in the middle. Ha

If forced to choose, I'd side with Tate over the Texans on injury reports, since the Texans are habitual liars on the subject.

TheIronDuke
10-22-2013, 11:03 AM
If anyone knows when he's injured, it's Ben Tate. If I wanna know about injuries and/or fumbles, I look to Ben Tate.

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2013, 11:25 AM
When players have rib injuries/fractures, most of the time the side or the area is not identified or identifiable. In Tate's case, everyone was given a great look on TV as to exactly which side and which area the rib injuries occurred. Flak jacket or not, he may as well be wearing a target on his chest for Ds to be honing in on where to stick it to him. Besides that, it is important to understand that ribs are considered to be part of one big ring originating from the vertebrae. A hit upon anywhere within the circle will lead to movement throughout the circle, including in the area of a fracture. That is why sleeping laying down (no matter what position) still puts stress on the circle as a whole and therefore upon the fracture site(s).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tp3_dh9lRp0/TyZxWXJuLAI/AAAAAAAAAQA/-W613KohaAM/s1600/rib.gif

VTexan
10-22-2013, 11:26 AM
wow mad props for tate going in with 4 effing broken ribs. i broke some snowboarding not too long back, can't imagine having NFL players trying to lay hits on me.

cstyle42
10-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Cedric Benson would be nice.

eriadoc
10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
So basically we have two camps of people in here: one that has experienced broken ribs before, and one that says snarky things about him being injured. LOL

TheIronDuke
10-22-2013, 12:10 PM
If you're referring to me, I have actually broken two ribs and had a deep-bruised sternum. I also happen to think he fumbles a lot and is injury prone.

Playoffs
10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Could this team be any more snake bit?

Football gods are not with our Texans this year.

I guess this is all part their plan to get us a franchise QB in 2014 draft. :kitten: (Or AJ's successor.) (Or...)

badboy
10-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Interesting that RB Jamaal Charles knocked Tate and Cushing from the game.

Malloy
10-22-2013, 04:37 PM

aka the hitman...

Oz Texan
10-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Why is it that Dontari Poe is not being fined for spearing ( hitting with the crown of his helmet) Tate and causing his injury?

WolverineFan
10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't remember the play all that well so I won't make a judgement here. All I'll say is that I would honestly be angry if he got a fine. At some point football is football.

Oz Texan
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Yes I understand let them play but spearing has been against the rules for a long time.

WolverineFan
10-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Yes I understand let them play but spearing has been against the rules for a long time.

On punts and FG's to protect the down linemen. I cannot recall it ever being called on a defensive play.

Mari-OWNED!
10-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Why is it that Dontari Poe is not being fined for spearing ( hitting with the crown of his helmet) Tate and causing his injury?

That rule only applies to hits above the neck. The NFL could care less about players breaking ribs or blowing out their knees. It's all about the head/brain and avoiding the lawsuits.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 11:19 PM

Kubiak said they're sending it in to the league. They have the same question you do.

WolverineFan
10-22-2013, 11:20 PM
That rule only applies to hits above the neck. The NFL could care less about players breaking ribs or blowing out their knees. It's all about the head/brain and avoiding the lawsuits.

This part is absolutely true. It's sickening.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Even though Poe didn't launch himself, the rule was very specific.

It calls for a fine when a defender hit a defenseless player with the crown of the helmet.

There should be a fine coming.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 11:37 PM

Would be interesting if it happened. How did Charles take Tate out?

He winded the fck out of Jj Watt..... he took out Cushing.... what did he do to Tate?

infantrycak
10-22-2013, 11:39 PM

There are several rules which can apply and to more than just head shots. For example, several RBs have been flagged this year for lowering their heads to strike defenders with the crown. There is also a rule a which used to be called for spearing by name but they don't call it anymore although it is still on the books.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 11:42 PM
There are several rules which can apply and to more than just head shots. For example, several RBs have been flagged this year for lowering their heads to strike defenders with the crown. There is also a rule a which used to be called for spearing by name but they don't call it anymore although it is still on the books. Kind of like clipping. It's still on the books, but I haven't seen it called in decades.

EDIT: Since we got on rules, I thought I would mention my displeasure with PI being a spot of the foul call. I would dearly love to see the NFL take the NCAA approach: 15 yds. Those yards should be for offensive or defensive PI. Make it fair on both sides of the ball. End of rant.

badboy
10-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Would be interesting if it happened. How did Charles take Tate out?

He winded the fck out of Jj Watt..... he took out Cushing.... what did he do to Tate?My mistake, should have said Watt & Cushing, Tate was damaged by Poe.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:35 AM

I remember reading a book about old time football.
Players played with broken ribs throughout the season.
I think one guy played with something like 12-18 broken ribs.

How many ribs are there in the human body anyway, Doc?

DocBar
10-23-2013, 01:03 AM

How many ribs are there in the human body anyway, Doc?Go break 1 rib and see how you feel. The total amount doesn't matter.

DocBar
10-23-2013, 01:11 AM

How many ribs are there in the human body anyway, Doc?Maybe cracked or bruised, but definitely not broken. Broken ribs can lead to life threatening injuries and the pain would be intolerable if a whole slab of human ribs were broken. Anyone who did that is both fyucking nuts and fyuking lucky to be alive. They definitely wouldn't try it with today's 300LB+ Behemoths tracking them down.

24 or so is the normal number of human ribs, I believe.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Maybe cracked or bruised, but definitely not broken. Broken ribs can lead to life threatening injuries and the pain would be intolerable if a whole slab of human ribs were broken. Anyone who did that is both fyucking nuts and fyuking lucky to be alive. They definitely wouldn't try it with today's 300LB+ Behemoths tracking them down.

24 or so is the normal number of human ribs, I believe.

It's been awhile; I can't recall whether it was cracked or bruised or broken; probably not that many broken ribs.

But hey, they didn't have protective gears back then; there's no telling what happened.

ObsiWan
10-23-2013, 03:39 AM

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/bio105/ribs1.jpg

Twenty-four. and yes, men and women have the same number of ribs.

Malloy
10-23-2013, 04:33 AM

But... What? Someone lied to me!!! ;)

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2013, 07:10 AM

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/bio105/ribs1.jpg

Obsiwan is correct. Yesterday on 610, this question came up.........and it was so amusing to me how many texts to the station stated that there were different numbers of ribs in males vs. females. The bible evidently has confused more than just some out there.:kitten: