PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Pages : [1] 2 3

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Who do y'all think gets the start. I assume Schaub will be healthy.

Does the city riot if Kubiak goes with anyone other than Keenum?

jaayteetx
10-21-2013, 08:48 AM
I voted Schaub because Kubiak is, well, Kubiak.

Speedy
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Schaub WILL be the starter.

Dread-Head
10-21-2013, 08:50 AM
He's tanned...he's rested...Bill!

10-21-2013, 08:51 AM

This. It should be Keenum, but... this.

Mr teX
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
It has to be Keenum..No way can Kubiak go back to Schaub....

HOU-TEX
10-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Schaub, considering who's making the decision

Premier
10-21-2013, 08:53 AM
after the buy?? what will we be purchasing?

cuppacoffee
10-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Is that your final answer?

:coffee:

Rey
10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Keenum. There is no reason to go back to Schaub.

I think kubiak will stick with keenum.

htowntexans1985
10-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Kubiak's policy is you cannot lose your job to injury. I still voted for keenum because It's who I think should.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Keenum. There is no reason to go back to Schaub.

I agree ..... That was easily the best performance by a Texans QB this season and in damn near a year going back to last season.

They had more big plays in one game , against the leagues best defense than they had all season .... No way Kubiak goes back to Schaub.

b0ng
10-21-2013, 09:07 AM
I think it's up in the air right now unless I missed an official statement by somebody from the Texans organization. I was almost sure that Kubiak would start Schaub as soon as the game was over, until I remembered something. Kubiak and Smith like to screw with injury reports, the IR list, and the reporting of injuries. I believe there is a possibility that Schaub doesn't "heal up" enough to start at the Colts, and Kubiak decides to use the bye week to cram as much as he can into Keenum's head (Son of a coach and all). Schaub knows the system, he can come in off of not practicing and you're going to get pretty much what Schaub has to offer.

I'm sure this question will be asked at the press conference today, so my little "scenario" can easily be dis-proven rather quickly. So I went with what I believed would be better for the Texans and voted Keenum.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Keenum period.

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Sorry, Monday morning brain fart. An admin at least changed it on the main post title.

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
I think it's up in the air right now unless I missed an official statement by somebody from the Texans organization. I was almost sure that Kubiak would start Schaub as soon as the game was over, until I remembered something. Kubiak and Smith like to screw with injury reports, the IR list, and the reporting of injuries. I believe there is a possibility that Schaub doesn't "heal up" enough to start at the Colts, and Kubiak decides to use the bye week to cram as much as he can into Keenum's head (Son of a coach and all). Schaub knows the system, he can come in off of not practicing and you're going to get pretty much what Schaub has to offer.

I'm sure this question will be asked at the press conference today, so my little "scenario" can easily be dis-proven rather quickly. So I went with what I believed would be better for the Texans and voted Keenum.

If the question is asked today at the presser, I guarantee the response will be:

"Well, we'll have to evaluate where Matt is with his recovery. Right now I don't know how far along he'll be, so I can't answer that question."

Now, if he's asked who's going to start if both men are healthy, Kubiak will say:

"Well, we'll have to evaluate them both in practice and make a decision from there."

He's going to avoid that question like Neo going into bullet time to avoid getting shot. He's going to pull some Matrix-esque crap on the press room and be complete non-committal.

Which leads me to believe he'll build a case (no pun) for Schaub.

But this season is lost and the ONLY shot of saving his job rests with Case.

I WANT case to start, but my head says Gary will go back to Matt, who is his doppelganger in mind, spirit, and body. Not a testicle to share between them.

bOODRO87
10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Kubiak deserves lettuce and tomatoes thrown at him if he goes back to Schaub.

TejasTom
10-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Kubiak's policy is you cannot lose your job to injury. I still voted for keenum because It's who I think should.

You obviously can not lose your job to setting the NFL record for pick 6s either, but it should be Keenum.

Goatcheese
10-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I think it depends on whether or not Schaub still has the locker room. Keenum made some exciting plays, especially the off schedule ones, but it's not like he had the offense running up and down the field. For all of his mobility, he was still sacked 5 times, fumbled twice and gave up the game winning TD.

As beautiful as Keenum's deep ball is, Schaub still gives you the best chance to win on Sunday. He's not going to chuck a pick 6 every week, despite the fan hysteria.

If Schaub doesn't start, It's either because he's lost the team or he's still injured. Keenum looks like the heir apparent at this point.

BullNation4Life
10-21-2013, 09:40 AM
If Kubiak goes back to hum-drum Schaub, he will absolutely lose that locker room. although he played like a rookie at times, Keenum made the game exciting. He was unshaken, unwavered by a team that has a dominating defense in a stadium that is stoopid loud. Keenum acted like it was no big deal, and to him it probably wasn't. Sometime ignorance is bliss...

Even thought they lost, the offense knows they have something in Keenum and to go back to Run, Run, Check down & punt, you will demoralize the team more than they already are.

You stay with the kid, prepare him for the next 2 week, work on hot routes and blitz protection then come out slinging against the Colts.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
The seven of you who voted Schaub need to put the crack pipe down. :corrosion:

rmartin65
10-21-2013, 09:43 AM
It absolutely should be Keenum. He has played the best of the Texans QBs thus far.

Trail.Blazr
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM

What he said.

If I'm going to guess what Kubiak will do, I simply try to think of the best possible choice to make, then go with the opposite. :rake: He's the George Costanza of the Texans.

Thorn
10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
What he said.

If I'm going to guess what Kubiak will do, I simply try to think of the best possible choice to make, then go with the opposite. :rake: He's the George Costanza of the Texans.

Unfortunately this is very true. :smiliepalm:

But I voted for Keenum just out of hope.

bOODRO87
10-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Good post from the Chron.

How do you feel about the game? "I'm really disappointed and frustrated. I thought our team played really hard there towards the end. We put the offense in a position and me in a position to go down and win the game, and we didn't. I didn't make the plays there at the end. You've got to give credit to Kansas City. They've got a heck of a defense, and they did a good job disguising looks and bringing pressure. But our receivers did a great job getting open all afternoon. I just didn't make the throws when I needed to."

Keenum after the game, that's accountability. Hear that Schaub? None of that "we need to play better as a team" garbage you spew after another pick six. Case has more leadership than Schaub and that quote proves it right there.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2013, 09:53 AM

I want Keenum to start, no doubt about it. I chose Schaub due to the fact Kubiak's the one making the decision. I just have a strong feeling he's going to stick with his boy.

Personally, it would've been great if the Keenum experiment began in week 1. He would've been more seasoned by now and not be getting confused

BigBull17
10-21-2013, 09:54 AM

I just highly doubt Gary will go away from his love child. Would it shock you if he started 8? If it would YOU need to lay off the pipe lol.

BullNation4Life
10-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I think it depends on whether or not Schaub still has the locker room. Keenum made some exciting plays, especially the off schedule ones, but it's not like he had the offense running up and down the field. For all of his mobility, he was still sacked 5 times, fumbled twice and gave up the game winning TD.

As beautiful as Keenum's deep ball is, Schaub still gives you the best chance to win on Sunday. He's not going to chuck a pick 6 every week, despite the fan hysteria.

If Schaub doesn't start, It's either because he's lost the team or he's still injured. Keenum looks like the heir apparent at this point.

Don't know what game you were watching, Keenum did have the offense running up and down the field. Stupid penalties cause several drives Keenum was putting together to stall. Yeah he got sacked 5 times but how many did he avoid that Schaub couldn't have?

With Schaub, it's not just about the pick 6's either, it's about the check downs, about going fetal position when he feels pressure. Keenum was scrambling around, still looking down field to make a play. Schaub moves 3 inches left and throws the ball away or to a TE for 2 yards.

Only way Schaub gives this team a chance to win is by experience alone and experience is not enough in today's NFL to win. Schaub does not have it, has never had it really, and his days are done. Keenum made mistakes, but he also had 1 week and half of the snaps in that week with the first team. Give him time, give him these 2 weeks to go over things, work them out and take on Indy...

Texans will be much better for it...

Rey
10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Good post from the Chron.

Not going to lie, I liked hearing that.

Mr teX
10-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Don't know what game you were watching, Keenum did have the offense running up and down the field. Stupid penalties cause several drives Keenum was putting together to stall. Yeah he got sacked 5 times but how many did he avoid that Schaub couldn't have?

With Schaub, it's not just about the pick 6's either, it's about the check downs, about going fetal position when he feels pressure. Keenum was scrambling around, still looking down field to make a play. Schaub moves 3 inches left and throws the ball away or to a TE for 2 yards.

Only way Schaub gives this team a chance to win is by experience alone and experience is not enough in today's NFL to win. Schaub does not have it, has never had it really, and his days are done. Keenum made mistakes, but he also had 1 week and half of the snaps in that week with the first team. Give him time, give him these 2 weeks to go over things, work them out and take on Indy...

keenum played well enough for you guys not to have to exaggerate things..

We weren't running up & down the field...Geez...we got into the red zone exactly 1 time....& that was b/c the defense recovered a fumble & got them a short field.

We scored exactly 1 TD & it was just outside the red zone.

He avoided 2 sacks that i know for a fact Schaub would've have likely went fetal on.....

& stupid penalties have been the norm with this team since game 1 of the season...

The glaring issues on offense still remained despite a couple of explosive plays Keenum made.

Rey
10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I expect kubiak to quickly name case the starter to end the nonsense.

kingtexan
10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
If the Texans were smart they would put Matt on IR and avoid the questions. Say his injury looks to be worse than originally thought, and they don't want to take a chance on making it worse. The let him sit the rest of the season and release him. If he sees the field again, it will cost Gary his job for sure IMO.

House of Pain
10-21-2013, 10:30 AM

We weren't running up & down the field...Geez...we got into the red zone exactly 1 time....& that was b/c the defense recovered a fumble & got them a short field.

He avoided 2 sacks that i know for a fact Schaub would've have likely went fetal on.....

& stupid penalties have been the norm with this team since game 1 of the season...

The glaring issues on offense still remained despite a couple of explosive plays Keenum made.

It would be nice to see what Case looks like with Arian out there. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't do better, but he basically played the majority of the game without a RB. I think the ability to have Foster as a blocker and safety valve hurt the Texans significantly. It's too soon to tell what we have with Case, but Schaub looks like a defeated man out there.

Porky
10-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I think he has little choice. He has to start Case.

2012Champs
10-21-2013, 10:32 AM

The Matt/Case situation is rather interesting. I am biased as I do think that Matt still gives us the best chance this year. Going forward if Case continues to develope it his. Multiple things that exist in the Texans offense with Matt or Case

1. Yards - we post a good number often
2. O-Line sucks
3. 3rd down conversions suck
4. We have stupid penalties that stop drives
5. We dont get into the redzone/score tds often enough

Case's mobility/arm will cary him if he improves his awareness. Schaub wouldnt have taken either sack fumble as he would have been on the ground seconds before and we would still have had chances to win. I dont think Matt's pick six run would continue if he came back as it is a stat anomaly

kingtexan
10-21-2013, 10:34 AM
i am also drunk, stoned as hell, and cracked out of my ever loving mind, as i do think that matt still gives us the best chance this year.

fify

drs23
10-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Keenum. Gary is jockeying to save his job and he knows it. He watched the game and knows who gives him the best chance to win and that's Case Keenum.

Keenum starts and will look much sharper after an extra week of work with the ones.

I don't think Gary has much of a choice to go any other direction.

nero THE zero
10-21-2013, 10:46 AM

According to whom?

Per Travis Johnson, Kubiak tells his players that you can lose your job to injury if your back-up comes in and plays considerably better than you. He says Kubiak used/uses Terrell Davis as an example.

Hervoyel
10-21-2013, 10:47 AM
To me the truly depressing part of all of this is that I have not one single doubt that Schaub will be starting against the Colts in two weeks. He's the starter and Gary doesn't take starters jobs away from them due to injury. Gary will ignore the fact that Matt has been atrocious and should have lost his job due to poor play.

Gary doesn't think Matt has played as poorly as we all do. That has been established. He may take a starters job away if their backup steps in and picks it up but he also doesn't have an enormous bromance with most of them like he does Schaub. Matt's coming back, don't kid yourselves.

So we get Matt back and unless he's undergone some kind of incredible transition into a completely different QB he's going to walk on to that field hearing a raging chorus of boos. It's cruel but it is honest and frankly it is what he and Gary should be hearing at this point in the season.

If this game plays out the only way it likely should be able to Indianapolis is going to come into our house and beat the **** out of us. Matt will be a mess and even if Gary pulls him and throws Keenum in there it won't matter. In fact it will be worse because he won't spend these two weeks getting Keenum ready to play the Colts. He'll spend it trying to turn Matt into something he isn't (and probably never was). When he does turn to Keenum he'll put him in a no-win scenario with few or zero first team practice reps and likely behind.

What kills me most about all of this is that you can step back and see clearly exactly how Kubiak is going to **** this up. It's not even challenging anymore. It's not surprising that other teams and professional coaching staffs are a step ahead of him. Casual fans know his schtick by heart at this point.

The only really interesting question is when will Bob McNair work it out for himself. I want to know how much longer I have to watch this dumbass work his "magic".

Thorn
10-21-2013, 10:50 AM
If the Texans were smart they would put Matt on IR and avoid the questions. Say his injury looks to be worse than originally thought, and they don't want to take a chance on making it worse. The let him sit the rest of the season and release him. If he sees the field again, it will cost Gary his job for sure IMO.

Do not underestimate McNair's love for Kubiak, or Kubiak's ability to make stupid decisions.

midway
10-21-2013, 10:51 AM

I think the seven people who chose Schaub in this poll chose him because they simply think Gary Kubiak is unable to make a rational decision.

The1ApplePie
10-21-2013, 10:51 AM
If Schaub is healthy, he will start. If Keenum was being groomed to take over the franchise, things would be different.

Unless they pull a Tebow at Denver, and just throw somebody out there who they think will put butts in seats since the season is all but over.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I just highly doubt Gary will go away from his love child. Would it shock you if he started 8? If it would YOU need to lay off the pipe lol.

If Gary goes back to Schaub ..... I'd be very surprised.

I cannot see a scenario where he does put Schaub back out there unless Case is injured. He earned the opportunity by outplaying both guy's in front of him.

I think the seven people who chose Schaub in this poll chose him because they simply think Gary Kubiak is unable to make a rational decision.

I think a lot of you are going to have to eat come crow come November 3rd.

Rey
10-21-2013, 10:56 AM
If Gary goes back to Schaub ..... I'd be very surprised.

I cannot see a scenario where he does put Schaub back out there unless Case is injured. He earned the opportunity by outplaying both guy's in front of him.

I think a lot of you are going to have to eat come crow come November 3rd.

Agreed.

2012Champs
10-21-2013, 10:56 AM
fify

You didn't fix anything for me

legacy_gt
10-21-2013, 11:02 AM
how can you go back to schaub with Keenum's skills and the future looks bright? make offensive line adjustments and show keenum how to read complex blitzs and get our running backs and we'll be ready to go. Keenum all the way.

Seegara
10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
If Schaub is healthy enough to play he will be the starter, but Keenum should start.

gafftop
10-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Would be very interesting if GK does name MS starting QB.

I think I would like him to just to see the reaction.

I really don't see how he could. Even though I started thread about Kubiak being Insane I don't believe it.

But if he does name MS starter then I will reevaluate my position.

"Still Crazy after all these years"

kingtexan
10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
You didn't fix anything for me

Yeah, some things are beyond repair ...

HJam72
10-21-2013, 11:22 AM
My opinion on whether Kubiak needs to be fired in the off season rests on this decision. Keenum should start.

Hottoddie
10-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Okay, now I'm getting nervous. Who wants to volunteer & go to Schaub's house to kick his ankle hard enough to prolong his injury?:thinking:

Several of you are focusing on Gary's man crush on Schaub, but if you've been paying attention, he seems to have a man crush on Case as well. I think Schaub's injury will hang on longer than they've said thus far & Case will get the start against Indy.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I think he's going to start Keenum. Simply because he likes calling plays for Keenum. He gets to use all his WRs, he gets to take shots in the end zone, & Keenum is more likely to make a big play when you need one.

Having said that..... the guys saying Case outplayed Schaub, are we saying he outplayed Schaub straight up? or are we saying considering he's basically a rookie he outplayed Schaub?

House of Pain
10-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Okay, now I'm getting nervous. Who wants to volunteer & go to Schaub's house to kick his ankle hard enough to prolong his injury?:thinking:

Several of you are focusing on Gary's man crush on Schaub, but if you've been paying attention, he seems to have a man crush on Case as well. I think Schaub's injury will hang on longer than they've said thus far & Case will get the start against Indy.

Are you saying that Schaub is going to be holding a boombox in the rain outside of Kubiak's house?

PapaL
10-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Even I think Case should start after the bye. Let's see what the kid has. He certainly didn't do anything to warrant being benched; unless it's he didn't throw a pick 6.

ObsiWan
10-21-2013, 11:43 AM

I'm sorry I cannot support this suggestion. Bill didn't answer the bell when called upon before; what makes you think he'll answer the call this time?!?
:kitten:

Hervoyel
10-21-2013, 12:00 PM
My opinion on whether Kubiak needs to be fired in the off season rests on this decision. Keenum should start.

I agree with that. This decision won't just say a lot about Kubiak. It will be like a 300 decibel scream echoing through the mountains about him and how he makes decisions.

Maybe McNair will tell him who he's going to be starting in two weeks. Might be the only way to get the right decision made. Just take the decision away from him so he can't screw it up. Worked with hiring a new DC.

cuppacoffee
10-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry I cannot support this suggestion. Bill didn't answer the bell when called upon before; what makes you think he'll answer the call this time?!?

I don't know Bill. Never met him.

But just judging from posters on this site I think Bill would rather be choreographing the cheer leaders routines.

:coffee:

Norg
10-21-2013, 12:04 PM
well if I was the coach and schaub was at least 90% healthy I would.................................Nah

u know what I think keenum showed some spark I think kubes should coach dis kid up for 2 weeks during this bye give him all the reps and heck yeah start keenum one more time

besides im sure that would give Matt more time to rest

so yeah I say lets start Keenum

also the thing is I wonder if Kubes will see the Rookie effect cuz when yates played we couldn't score more then 21 points right maybe he thinks keenum will hit that wall and be unable to score more then 21 points

maybe he wil think hey when matt plays well he is capable of putting up 31 points

ObsiWan
10-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Not a testicle to share between them.

I'm sorry but I must object to this sexist statement. Some my all-time favorate bad-a$$es don't have testicles; you, Steph, Condi Rice, the Iron Lady Thatcher, Benazir Bhutto, Anne Richards...
:worldpeace:

eriadoc
10-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I voted Keenum because of Kubiak's comments after the game. He said two things in particular. He said the team found its heartbeat, and he said if the team plays like they played yesterday, they're going to win a lot of games. If he was planning to play Schaub again, I think he would have been a bit more tempered in his response. It's Keenum until he fails.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Having said that..... the guys saying Case outplayed Schaub, are we saying he outplayed Schaub straight up? or are we saying considering he's basically a rookie he outplayed Schaub?

He outplayed Schaub straight up.

The offense had more big plays against the leagues best defense than it had all season.
Schaub's at least had a running game to support him .... Keenum had .... Nodda and still looked better IMO.
(Schaub managed to lose two games in which they rushed the ball 30+ times)

Here's the QBR's from each team the Chiefs have faced this season -

Jax - Blaine Gabbert - 30,8
Dallas - Tony Romo - 99.1
Philly - Michael Vick - 49.4
NYG - Eli Manning - 64.8
Tinbreds - Ryan Fitzpatrick - 57.7
Raiders - Terrelle Pryor - 45.7
Houston - Case Keenum - 110.6

Matt Schaub's QBR for the season - 78.8

Vs the Rams 98.5
Vs San Diego 110
Vs TenBreds 76.6
Vs Baltimore 72.8
Vs Seattle 81.6
Ve 49ers 32.2

This offense looked totally different from the get go with Keenum.

badboy
10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I voted Schaub and he needs to get on field to create some sort of trade value. Can anyone verify this is Kubiak last contract year?

The following was written 2010: "The Head Coach of the Houston Texans, Gary Kubiak was given a 3 year contract extension during the offseason. Kubiak heads one of the most prolific offenses in the league. John McClain described him as “honest, genuine, hard-working and devoid of ego.“, a very rare combination to find in an NFL head coach. When he received his contract extension, Kubiak turned down a 4 year offer because he wanted his contract to be the same length as his assistant coaches."
http://www.texansbullblog.com/player-bios/gary-kubiak/

Rey
10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
He outplayed Schaub straight up.

The offense had more big plays against the leagues best defense than it had all season.
Schaub's at least had a running game to support him .... Keenum had .... Nodda and still looked better IMO.

Here's the QBR's from each team the Chiefs have faced this season -

Jax - Blaine Gabbert - 30,8
Dallas - Tony Romo - 99.1
Philly - Michael Vick - 49.4
NYG - Eli Manning - 64.8
Tinbreds - Ryan Fitzpatrick - 57.7
Raiders - Terrelle Pryor - 45.7
Houston - Case Keenum - 110.6

Matt Schaub's QBR for the season - 78.8

Vs the Rams 98.5
Vs San Diego 110
Vs TenBreds 76.6
Vs Baltimore 72.8
Vs Seattle 81.6
Ve 49ers 32.2

This offense looked totally different from the get go with Keenum.

Can't believe you bit on that. If TK was a qb he'd have burned most of us for 6 by now. :)

eriadoc
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Dude, he outplayed Schaub straight up. That's not necessarily saying much, but he did. The only game this season where Schaub hit a 110 rating was against SD. He had a half dozen such games last season and a few more where he was close. Keenum will have bad games too - all QBs do, even Brady, Brees, Manning, and Rodgers. But this was a good one. Not great, but good.

Norg
10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
im sure kubes wants schaub but he wants last years schaub or hell 2009 schaub

when he would just torch any Defense and throw up like 31 points a game

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Can't believe you bit on that. If TK was a qb he'd have burned most of us for 6 by now. :)

Considering 10 people have voted Schaub ... I figured I better spell it out. :gamer:

ObsiWan
10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I voted Keenum because of Kubiak's comments after the game. He said two things in particular. He said the team found its heartbeat, and he said if the team plays like they played yesterday, they're going to win a lot of games. If he was planning to play Schaub again, I think he would have been a bit more tempered in his response. It's Keenum until he fails.

Agreed... Now Kubiak is gonna preach, "we're gonna be smart with Matt and bring him along carefully; not try and rush him back too soon."

Translation:
Case is da man until he screws up bad.

CretorFrigg
10-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Keenum played well against the Chief's defense. He bought time and made plays Matt Schaub only dreams about. Kubiak would be an idiot not to start Keenum moving forward.

Texan_Bill
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Dammit!! Why do you insist on infringing on my drinking?

waynegg
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM

So much of this.

Though it isn't the correct answer if the question were Who has the best chance of actually winning games for the Texans this year?

MEGA SWATT
10-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Keenum. If GK wants to be successful and keep his job, he has to start making moves that are not popular and not based on loyalty but on winning and keeping his job. I think he knows that if he starts the SchaubTANIC, that he is going down singing on Matt Schaub's deck. :ant:

Dishman
10-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Dammit!! Why do you insist on infringing on my drinking?

I think you'd have the support of the fans to do both and possibly at the same time. :ant:

Section516
10-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I voted Schaub and he needs to get on field to create some sort of trade value. Can anyone verify this is Kubiak last contract year?

The following was written 2010: "The Head Coach of the Houston Texans, Gary Kubiak was given a 3 year contract extension during the offseason. Kubiak heads one of the most prolific offenses in the league. John McClain described him as “honest, genuine, hard-working and devoid of ego.“, a very rare combination to find in an NFL head coach. When he received his contract extension, Kubiak turned down a 4 year offer because he wanted his contract to be the same length as his assistant coaches."
http://www.texansbullblog.com/player-bios/gary-kubiak/

On February 2, 2010, with a year left on the original deal he signed, the Texans' signed Kubiak to a three-year contract extension through 2012.[9] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kubiak

Next year would be his last year under contract, AKA the lame duck year which good coaches aren't supposed to be left with one year, If I am reading correctly.

Vinny
10-21-2013, 12:48 PM
lol at Schaub's trade value. Keenum made Schaub look awful in just a few series. You have to question Kubiak for making Yates the number 2 guy this season as well.

#FireKubiak

2slik4u
10-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Keenum. I don't think schaub will play after the bye week. I would be shocked if he played before week 11 and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's gone for the season.

His ankle injury was pretty gruesome looking and it's a wonder nothing was torn or broken. Has anyone heard any information regarding his ankle?

Rey
10-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I can't imagine anyone trading for Schaub. I think Schaub is either a back up or stop gap player at this point in his career.

Wolf6151
10-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Should Keenum start? Yes.
Will Keenum start? I don't know. If Schaub is healthy then Kubiak is likely to do what makes sense to him and only him.

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Kubiak steps up to the mic for today's press conference.

John McClain wipes the powered sugar from his molester mustache and focusses his gaze on the coach.

McClain: "Coach, who will be your QB coming out of the bye week?"

Kubiak: "I'm not sure right at this moment. Someone will have to make a good...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

CASE."

YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

EllisUnit
10-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Seriously, we had no healthy running backs for Case, no running game, couldnt hardly use play action and noone to give him good protection like foster provides and ur complaining about 5 sacks ? How many times u thin Schaub would of been sacked ? God only knows....

Schaub does not give us the best chance to win. Keenum does.

BullNation4Life
10-21-2013, 01:18 PM
lol at Schaub's trade value. Keenum made Schaub look awful in just a few series. You have to question Kubiak for making Yates the number 2 guy this season as well.

#FireKubiak

I think the only reason Yates was #2 was he knew the playbook better than Keenum. I don't think I saw 1 Kubiak play from Keenum all game. He was mostly in Pistol formation.

76Texan
10-21-2013, 01:20 PM
What do you think if McNair has a say, and should he has one in football decisions?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/mcnair-on-keenum-i-though-he-did-a-hell-of-a-job/

burro
10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
What do you think if McNair has a say, and should he has one in football decisions?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/mcnair-on-keenum-i-though-he-did-a-hell-of-a-job/

McNair does have a say, the final say technically. I don't think he would let Kubiak put Schaub back on the field - It's not unlikely that he had a heavy hand in starting Keenum in the first place.

infantrycak
10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm going to guess Schaub will be "not fully recovered" even after the bye so Kubiak can get at least one more look at Keenum, i.e., the decision will be delayed.

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm going to guess Schaub will be "not fully recovered" even after the bye so Kubiak can get at least one more look at Keenum, i.e., the decision will be delayed.

puss·y·foot
intr.v. puss·y·foot·ed, puss·y·foot·ing, puss·y·foots
1. To move stealthily or cautiously.
2. Informal To act or proceed cautiously or timidly to avoid committing oneself.
3. Informal Gary Kubiak answering questions at Texans press conferences when pressed on decision-making choices.

76Texan
10-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Doctors' order? :thinking:

False Start
10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
I voted Case, but my gut tells me its gonna be Kubiak's love child Schaub. :toropalm:

k2djspike
10-21-2013, 03:36 PM
If the question is asked today at the presser, I guarantee the response will be:

"Well, we'll have to evaluate where Matt is with his recovery. Right now I don't know how far along he'll be, so I can't answer that question."

Now, if he's asked who's going to start if both men are healthy, Kubiak will say:

"Well, we'll have to evaluate them both in practice and make a decision from there."

He's going to avoid that question like Neo going into bullet time to avoid getting shot. He's going to pull some Matrix-esque crap on the press room and be complete non-committal.

Which leads me to believe he'll build a case (no pun) for Schaub.

But this season is lost and the ONLY shot of saving his job rests with Case.

I WANT case to start, but my head says Gary will go back to Matt, who is his doppelganger in mind, spirit, and body. Not a testicle to share between them.

listening to 610 with Kubiak.. thats exactly what he said more or less LOL

Norg
10-21-2013, 03:36 PM
kubes just said Matt his "Our" starting QB

if matt is healthy and plays well in practice then he will start period

RunningTheSouth
10-21-2013, 03:37 PM
It would be nice to see what Case looks like with Arian out there. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't do better, but he basically played the majority of the game without a RB. I think the ability to have Foster as a blocker and safety valve hurt the Texans significantly. It's too soon to tell what we have with Case, but Schaub looks like a defeated man out there.

It wouldn't do anything but help, he played 3 quarters without a RB! If Schaub was out there we wouldn't have even been in the game.

Norg
10-21-2013, 03:40 PM
It wouldn't do anything but help, he played 3 quarters without a RB! If Schaub was out there we wouldn't have even been in the game.

u don't know that for sure there are like 2 sides of matt one that u have seen and one that takes care of the ball and gets the ball out of his hands and makes plays

RunningTheSouth
10-21-2013, 03:47 PM
u don't know that for sure there are like 2 sides of matt one that u have seen and one that takes care of the ball and gets the ball out of his hands and makes plays

I do know that for sure. Another thing I know for sure is you've never seen Schaub play a game without a RB on the field for almost the whole game.

Bulls on Parade
10-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Kubiak: ‘Matt’s our starting quarterback’

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/kubiak-matts-our-starting-quarterback/

Case Keenum was solid in his NFL debut, a 17-16 loss at Kansas City, but he didn’t change coach Gary Kubiak’s mind about the starting position.

“Matt’s our starting quarterback,” Kubiak said of the veteran Schaub. “Case played this week.”

Kubiak said he would re-evaulate the position during the Texans’ bye week.

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 04:02 PM

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/kubiak-matts-our-starting-quarterback/

Case Keenum was solid in his NFL debut, a 17-16 loss at Kansas City, but he didn’t change coach Gary Kubiak’s mind about the starting position.

“Matt’s our starting quarterback,” Kubiak said of the veteran Schaub. “Case played this week.”

Eff. Gary. Kubiak.

jaayteetx
10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/kubiak-matts-our-starting-quarterback/?cmpid=hpbn
I haven't been this annoyed by one guy in so damn long. Bob, please, fire this guy now!

fiasco west
10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm using the same logic that I used this past week...

If you have to think about it, then that favors Case. Matt has been the starter for how many years now? If Kubes was so sure then there is nothing to think about here.

The only thing to think about is to grow a pair and think of a way to break it to Matt and tell him he's not playing this upcoming week.

Bulls on Parade
10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Who do y'all think gets the start. I assume Schaub will be healthy.

Does the city riot if Kubiak goes with anyone other than Keenum?
Gary Kubiak is going to start Matt Schaub against the Colts on November 3. Sunday Night Football and primetime game on NBC for the entire country to watch. You didn't think he was going to start a promising QB like Case Keenum for a second straight game did you? I'm only being sarcastic but wow. I can't believe Kubiak is going back to Schaub.

jaayteetx
10-21-2013, 04:06 PM
eff. Gary. Kubiak.

^^^this

Double Barrel
10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I have to hope this is just coach speak and not indicative of a really stupid decision.

2012Champs
10-21-2013, 04:08 PM

not shocked

JCTexan
10-21-2013, 04:09 PM
I have to hope this is just coach speak and not indicative of a really stupid decision.

Yeah. I'm hoping "we'll evaluate the position" means "Case is starting against the Colts". If not... :facepalm:

Scooter
10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
case is the better player, and showed why on sunday. there may be an argument on who gives us the better chance to win right now based on schaub's experience, but for me that player is still keenum. i really dont think schaub has anything left. he wont be fully healthy this year, he cant move, his accuracy is way off, and his reads are the worst of his career. we've seen the top of schaub's potential and it's near impossible for an older declining injured player to get back to that (somewhat mediocre) point.

case does what schaub can do and soooooo much more. you have to put the better player on the field.

kubiak will probably go with schaub if he can, but it's the wrong call.

b0ng
10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
ground floor

DavisAg
10-21-2013, 04:12 PM
This better just be "coach speak". There is no way he watched Case play this weekend and STILL think Schaub is the best option at QB. No way.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 04:12 PM
LOL. :) Oh.. poor, poor matt, I bet even he doesn't want this to be true. Gary Kubiak would be the ultimate bus driver if he blatantly threw Schaub in harms way as he backed out of town.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.. but if true.. WOW, what a dumbass and feel for you Schaub, home fans won't be happy.

bOODRO87
10-21-2013, 04:13 PM
This fkn guy... I'm actually kinda glad he's doing this. He deserves to go down with his boy. This is a train wreck one can only dream of.

fiasco west
10-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Meh, if he goes through with this we will DEFINITELY lose to the Colts. They just played Manning about as well as you could play him...they will have two pick sixes and we'll be closer to drafting top 5.

Case is the only guy that could save Kubiak's job so I'd be surprised if he sticks with Schaub.

Scooter
10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
if kubiak goes back to schaub, i'll finally join the ever growing pink soap bandwagon.

Uncle Rico
10-21-2013, 04:18 PM
The Keenum Krew is going to lose their flippin minds!!

This season is just like a soap opera!! LOL

utahmark
10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
if kubiak goes back to schaub, i'll finally join the ever growing pink soap bandwagon.

I feel the same.

steelbtexan
10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Eff. Gary. Kubiak.

^^^^
This

However my $$$$ is on BoB making Gary start Case.

God I hope BoB begins to care about what his on field product has become under Rick/Gary.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2013, 04:22 PM
The sad thing about all of this, these "injuries" will give McNair an excuse to keep Kubiak around another year.

As fans, we're screwed

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 04:23 PM
The Keenum Krew is going to lose their flippin minds!!

This season is just like a soap opera!! LOL

I actually have my popcorn ready.. It's obvious who has more staying power here. Keenum will be here long after Kubiak (unless he pulls his head out of his ass) and Matt Schaub.

But yeah, this season is better than a soap opera.. damn shame Wood, Jefferson, and Montgomery didn't include me in on the rotation so I could further enjoy it. :)

fiasco west
10-21-2013, 04:25 PM
^^^^
This

However my $$$$ is on BoB making Gary start Case.

God I hope BoB begins to care about what his on field product has become under Rick/Gary.

I want Bob to stay completely out of it. Just watch like the rest of us.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I want Bob to stay completely out of it. Just watch like the rest of us.

Bob needs to step in and it would not make him like Jones if he does.. The only time he stepped in he saved Gary's collective ass by getting a new DC when it was obvious we needed one and we won the division in consecutive years and made back to back playoff appearances. He needs to step in again if this is true. I hate Jerry Jones like the next guy and hate owners of that ilk.. but Bob is too conservative and could stand to take a more hands on approach. There has to be some happy medium here.

AFS
10-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Would keeping secret the fact that we're gonna start Keenum against the Colts help us at all in terms of forcing the Colts to have to gameplan for both? I want to believe this is just Kubiak playing head games.

bigmck
10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
No matter who starts, I think we as fans win. == If Schaub starts, it will only hasten GK's firing, fans win. If Case starts, fans win. :doot::doot:

eriadoc
10-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Is Kubiak on the "Tank for Tajh" or "Tank for Teddy" bandwagon?

WolverineFan
10-21-2013, 04:42 PM
He left the door open for Keenum. I'd expect for Keenum to get all the work the next 2 weeks and for Schaub to not be "100%" healthy for Indy. Keenum will get the start and will continue to do so as long as he plays well.

He knows Keenum is his only way out, but he's loyal to a fault and is going to do everything in his power to not humiliate Schaub.

Thorn
10-21-2013, 04:44 PM
I anticipate the boo birds coming out for Schaubie's return. If Schaub does start, at least I'll be able to hit the sack on time Sunday night.

midway
10-21-2013, 04:47 PM

Not just pink! It comes in a full range of colors

axman40
10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Start Keenum at home and Schaub for the away games!

michaelm
10-21-2013, 04:49 PM
To me the truly depressing part of all of this is that I have not one single doubt that Schaub will be starting against the Colts in two weeks. He's the starter and Gary doesn't take starters jobs away from them due to injury. Gary will ignore the fact that Matt has been atrocious and should have lost his job due to poor play.

Gary doesn't think Matt has played as poorly as we all do. That has been established. He may take a starters job away if their backup steps in and picks it up but he also doesn't have an enormous bromance with most of them like he does Schaub. Matt's coming back, don't kid yourselves.

So we get Matt back and unless he's undergone some kind of incredible transition into a completely different QB he's going to walk on to that field hearing a raging chorus of boos. It's cruel but it is honest and frankly it is what he and Gary should be hearing at this point in the season.

If this game plays out the only way it likely should be able to Indianapolis is going to come into our house and beat the **** out of us. Matt will be a mess and even if Gary pulls him and throws Keenum in there it won't matter. In fact it will be worse because he won't spend these two weeks getting Keenum ready to play the Colts. He'll spend it trying to turn Matt into something he isn't (and probably never was). When he does turn to Keenum he'll put him in a no-win scenario with few or zero first team practice reps and likely behind.

What kills me most about all of this is that you can step back and see clearly exactly how Kubiak is going to **** this up. It's not even challenging anymore. It's not surprising that other teams and professional coaching staffs are a step ahead of him. Casual fans know his schtick by heart at this point.

The only really interesting question is when will Bob McNair work it out for himself. I want to know how much longer I have to watch this dumbass work his "magic".

I'm terrified that you might be right, so:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5431666176/h7D86A1FD/

Nitrofish
10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
What he said.

You know I am going to laugh hysterically when Kubiak and Schaub are cut at seasons end, and end up with the Jags and come in and beat the Texans on a regular basis. You know it will happen just with the luck this city has with it's sports teams. Either that or, Kubiak will go to a team in another division and win a Super Bowl in the next few years. I don't think Kubiak will be out of work for very long. Tampa Bay seems like a good landing spot for him.

I did not vote, but since you said "who gets the start", I would have to say Schaub because you should not lose your job to injury and Kubiak is a stand up guy even if his job is on the line. Having said that, if Schaub plays badly early vs the Colts he will get the hook for Yates or Keenum, may even see both guys in that game.

gafftop
10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Is Kubiak on the "Tank for Tajh" or "Tank for Teddy" bandwagon?

Could almost live with that except no real sure things out there this year.

Ghostform
10-21-2013, 05:06 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/5923/stf3.jpg

WolverineFan
10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Could almost live with that except no real sure things out there this year.

I wanted to tank for Luck because he's as sure a thing as I've ever seen come out of college. No players like that this year and probably not for a long time.

ChrisG
10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Keenum definitely should. Kubes will most likely start Schaub is he isn't "injured"

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 05:20 PM
There should be little conversation about if Schaub should be playing in any remaining games this season. Kubiak would have to really be asking to get fired if he trots Schaub back out there. If he does, I'll be ready to part with him immediately. Schaub should be done as a Texan, and probably as a starting quarterback in the NFL overall.

Keenum should get the starts for the rest of the season, unless he starts playing like Schaub was earlier in the season (massive turnovers) in which case we should turn to Yates. Keenum has done enough to earn a shot.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 05:24 PM
You know I am going to laugh hysterically when Kubiak and Schaub are cut at seasons end, and end up with the Jags and come in and beat the Texans on a regular basis. You know it will happen just with the luck this city has with it's sports teams. Either that or, Kubiak will go to a team in another division and win a Super Bowl in the next few years. I don't think Kubiak will be out of work for very long. Tampa Bay seems like a good landing spot for him.

I did not vote, but since you said "who gets the start", I would have to say Schaub because you should not lose your job to injury and Kubiak is a stand up guy even if his job is on the line. Having said that, if Schaub plays badly early vs the Colts he will get the hook for Yates or Keenum, may even see both guys in that game.

LMAO.. oh lord, I hope I have the chance to see that happen. Hell, even Jag fans don't want that to happen.. just ask them.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 05:29 PM

If he goes back to Schaub .... I'll hit him with a bar of soap .... in a sock. :cutthroat:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
If Kubiak is a standup guy, and we are to believe his quote about all positions being evaluated, then Keenum should be starting.

Rey
10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
What is this lose your job to injury non sense?

Schaub should lose his job because he stunk.

Rey
10-21-2013, 05:41 PM
If he goes back to Schaub .... I'll hit him with a bar of soap .... in a sock. :cutthroat:

I'll stick to my earlier opinion. Case is the new starter.

Kubiak is gushing over case on his coaches show right now. Not just that, but he's not going to come out the day after the game and call case the starter. That's not his MO.

The fact that he's even saying he's going to evaluate the qb situation speaks volumes.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 05:41 PM

and I'll be there to help hold down the sheet to make it a full blanket party..

Grams
10-21-2013, 05:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/21/kubiak-matt-schaubs-our-starting-quarterback/

Get your soap ready, Matt is still the starter.

Norg
10-21-2013, 05:46 PM
call me crazy but right now I think Matt schaub gives us the best chance to WIN games .... he might not be the long term answer but if they wanna get w's well matts your guy

cuz what if I make a case that Keenum may be good but what if I say keenum will never score more then 21 points this year

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/21/kubiak-matt-schaubs-our-starting-quarterback/

All they're doing is repeating what has already been said... Kubiak said "it's still open up for evaluation", so nobody really knows what the hell is going on. I just wish Kubiak had a pair and would put this to bed already.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 05:51 PM
update Kubiak was just asked again who is his starter and he wouldn't answer... this leads me to believe it won't be Schaub. Next we'll hear how Case and Matt are "splitting snaps". :rolleyes:

Rey
10-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Except I just heard with my own two ears 30 secs ago kubiak say that he's going to evaluate what Matt has done and evaluate what keenum did and make the best choice for the team. He said that live on his coaches show that just ended.

Vance87
10-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Smoke and mirrors.

...I hope

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Well Schaub is due up next on 610.. tune in, because this could get interesting :)

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Except I just heard with my own two ears 30 secs ago kubiak say that he's going to evaluate what Matt has done and evaluate what keenum did and make the best choice for the team. He said that live on his coaches show that just ended.

I heard that too .... I think it makes sense that he leaves some suspense in who the starter is going into the next game , especially considering how different those two players are. This makes the Dolts have to prepare for both.

IF they can beat the Dolts .... they can get back in this thing as they get the Cardinals , Raiders & Jaq's in the following three weeks. (yeah that's a big If).

legacy_gt
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
if Schaub plays badly early vs the Colts he will get the hook for Yates or Keenum, may even see both guys in that game.

there is no if, schaub ain't playing. if he does, kubiak will be even in more fire.

76Texan
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
call me crazy but right now I think Matt schaub gives us the best chance to WIN games .... he might not be the long term answer but if they wanna get w's well matts your guy

cuz what if I make a case that Keenum may be good but what if I say keenum will never score more then 21 points this year

Okay Norg, I will call you crazy just to make you happy. :) LOL

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Well Schaub is due up next on 610.. tune in, because this could get interesting :)

.. This is becoming a really awkward interview. Vandermeer keeps trying to Segway into asking who the hell is the starting QB going ahead, Schaub keeps saying he's healthy, and is a "full participant" but nobody will admit who the hell is the damn starter.. not Schaub or Kubiak who should already know.. What the ****?

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Should have never put Matt in that position.. that was just awkward.

Rey
10-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Well Schaub doesn't know. Says he hasn't talked to kubiak at length for a couple days.

He keeps saying he's going to prepare to play. But he sounds like a guy that is worried about not being the starter.

SchaubApologist
10-21-2013, 06:37 PM
.. This is becoming a really awkward interview. Vandermeer keeps trying to Segway into asking who the hell is the starting QB going ahead, Schaub keeps saying he's healthy, and is a "full participant" but nobody will admit who the hell is the damn starter.. not Schaub or Kubiak who should already know.. What the ****?

that's good to know.

if kubiak declares CK the starter, he can't blame it on Schaub's ankle/leg injury.

kudos to Schaub for being honest about his lack of injury.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Would you tell the Dolts who your starting QB is going to be or would you make them prepare for both ?!

HTown2ATX
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
I voted Keenum cause it should be an obvious choice. I'm like a lot of others though and realize..............it's Kubiak

:toropalm::rake:

steelbtexan
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Would you tell the Dolts who your starting QB is going to be or would you make them prepare for both ?!

At 2-5 it doesn't matter.

The season is over.

Thanks for another season to remember Rick/Gary.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 07:02 PM

He told the best starting defense in the NFL playing at home who his starting QB was going to be so I don't know why he just doesn't come out and settle this issue now.. it's called leadership and I'm starting to question his.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 07:06 PM
At 2-5 it doesn't matter.

The season is over.

Thanks for another season to remember Rick/Gary.

I don't think its over just yet.

If they beat the Dolts , they get the Card's , Raiders and Jaq's the next three weeks - they win those and they are .500 with 6 to go and three more division games.

The Dolts lost Reggie Wayne for the season .... that's a huge loss for them.

They probably have to go 8-1 from here on out .... Its not likely but they still have a shot. I really think this team is much better than its record , especially if Schaub isn't under center.

Winning three of four against the Pats , Bronco's and Dolts twice may be a lot to ask but Im gonna hold out hope for at least one more game.

Hervoyel
10-21-2013, 07:07 PM

You are crazy

Vance87
10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
You are crazy

:cowboy1:

chicagotexan2
10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
I think it's very considerate of Kubiak to leave his replacement an even higher draft pick to work with by starting Schaub. A class's act until the very end kubes.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 07:16 PM
You are crazy

:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyMpZTba5Tc

Vance87
10-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I think it's very considerate of Kubiak to leave his replacement an even higher draft pick to work with by starting Schaub. A class's act until the very end kubes.

Well it's on him to put the future head coach in a good position.

houstonhurricane
10-21-2013, 10:43 PM
He left the door open for Keenum. I'd expect for Keenum to get all the work the next 2 weeks and for Schaub to not be "100%" healthy for Indy. Keenum will get the start and will continue to do so as long as he plays well.

He knows Keenum is his only way out, but he's loyal to a fault and is going to do everything in his power to not humiliate Schaub.

This right here. I was a bit skeptical of Keenum but after having been in that stadium and witnessing Case perform as well as he did in that environment and against that defense, this is a no-brainier. Kubiak knows the Colts game is a must win to salvage the season and even his own job- and with Case starting it will be frenzied...with Schaub it would be a home disaster.

Plus, we really have not had any updates from the team itself on the extent of Schaub's injury - only what he said on 610.

houstonhurricane
10-21-2013, 10:45 PM
...saw Schaub's statement on his injury but sure would like to see the team update his status...

SW H-TOWN
10-21-2013, 10:52 PM
If Kubiak bases the decision on performance, probably won't, he will go with Keenum. He was better in every aspect of QB play. The biggest difference is his ability to extend a play and make a throw on the run/outside the pocket. This is especially important when you got our sorry a$$ RT Newton out there. He got beat so damn bad a couple of times all he could do is watch the OLB harrass the QB, horrible.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Kubiak said he was most impressed with Keenum’s ability to run the offense and call plays despite the noise at Arrowhead Stadium. With Schaub getting closer to returning, Kubiak says he has a tough decision on which quarterback will start against Indianapolis on November 3.

“That’s a difficult call, either way, from that standpoint,” Kubiak said. “I’m going to look at it. Matt is back moving around a little bit today. We’ve got a bye week here. We have a couple of days to evaluate ourselves, evaluate our football team and see where we’re at and then I will do what I think is best for the team.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Kubiak-to-evaluate-QB-situation-impressed-with-Keenum/5a62e0e5-9070-4756-83eb-68181608ff6e

An UDFA forcing the HC to make a tough call after his first start; if that doesn't scream potential, I don't know what will.

SCOTTexans
10-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Keenum should start and proved it, but I just got the feeling that Kubiak was trying to throw Keenum to the wolves in hopes that there wouldn't be a descision on who to start after the bye.... :tinfoil:

YeaLikeRightNow
10-22-2013, 11:51 AM

Agreed...but I can only hope Keenum is back in to show the home crowd that he is no fluke!

texanhead08
10-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Kubes is starting Schaub and this will be how we finally rid this franchise of his stubborn ways.

Hottoddie
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Everyone needs to calm down.

Kubiak didn't say anything that's not true. Officially, Schaub is still the starter. Case was given a chance to show what he could do in a very hostile environment & did exceptionally well in his first start.

However, he did make some critical mistakes that need to be corrected if he's going to be successful going forward. This bye week/Schaub's injury couldn't have come at a more perfect time. Gary now has two weeks to work with Case & fix the mistakes for the next game. From what I'm hearing, Gary wants to start Case & may very well have already made up his mind to do just that.

I believe it's blatantly obvious to the players that Case is the future starting QB for this team & he gives them the best chance to win a Superbowl. Even a blind man could've seen how much harder the team played last week. There's a new sense of excitement on the team & the fans are energized again. I'll bet Indy is not looking forward to coming into Reliant for this next game. We will win this Sunday night game! I wonder if we can set a new noise level for the league?

One of the reasons Gary's players love & support him is that he treats them with respect & never intentionally embarrasses them. Right now, I believe he's trying to find a way to let Schaub down easy so as to not cause any unrest or devisiveness on the team.

Believe me when I say, I truely believe Case will be our starting QB for the rest of the season & will make a hard push to get us into the playoffs this year.:fostering:

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Believe me when I say, I truely believe Case will be our starting QB for the rest of the season & will make a hard push to get us into the playoffs this year.:fostering:

I'm praying for a miracle. I don't care how much sense it does not make... I want a miracle & I want Case to become a legend.

This team wasn't built for Schaub to win us a Super Bowl. It was built for Arian & JJ to win us a Super Bowl. Case just needs to play smart & make a play every now & then.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Kubiak risks being embarrassed in front of a national audience if he rolls with Schaub as a starter against the Colts.. Remember in Capers' last season here when it became painfully obvious Carr couldn't play and Capers had no answers.. The reign of boos poured down on Capers and all he could do is stand there with that gaping deer in headlights look on his face. If Kubiak goes with Schaub and he makes the type of mistakes he's made this season the crowd will turn on him badly and could get ugly for Kubiak real fast.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Kubiak risks being embarrassed in front of a national audience if he rolls with Schaub as a starter against the Colts.. Remember in Capers' last season here when it became painfully obvious Carr couldn't play and Capers had no answers.. The reign of boos poured down on Capers and all he could do is stand their with the gaping deer in headlights look on his face. If Kubiak goes with Schaub and he makes the type of mistakes he's made this season things could get ugly for Kubiak really fast.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/01/dom-capers.gif
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Gary+Kubiak+6TbmZyFwu7qm.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2013, 04:01 PM
When sorting all of this out, it's important to note that Keenum's impressive performance was despite:

Foster.........4 running attempts for 11 yds (2.8 yds/carry)
Tate..........15 running attempts for 50 yds (3.3 yds/carry)
Jones..........2 running attempts for 2 yds (1.0 yds/carry)

That's only 21 attempts for 63 yds for 3.0 yds/carry.

None of the RBs ran for more yds/carry than the 3.6 yds/carry that Keenum turned in on his 3 runs. :kubepalm:

Corrosion
10-22-2013, 04:15 PM
When sorting all of this out, it's important to note that Keenum's impressive performance was despite:

Compare that to the running game Schaub was afforded against the Rams & SeaDucks. Im still trying to figure out how the hell they lost that Rams game by 25 when Foster was running wild.

Rams
Foster 20/141
Tate 10/12

SeaDucks
Foster 27/102
Tate 7/44

DocBar
10-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm hoping Case spends some quality time with Kubiak during the bye week. Maybe they could draw up plays in the dirt together and Kubiak can remember how to use his imagination in playcalling and how fun the game should be.

Vance87
10-22-2013, 04:19 PM
dont forget the dropped touchdown pass by hopkins and the long touchdown pass dropped by graham.

Keenum should have been over 300 yards with 3 tds and the win.

Eh. The Hopkins throw shoulda been on his left shoulder and not his right. Keenum admitted that post game. But the Graham throw, I think maybe Graham is trained to run shallow to catch under-thrown balls from another certain QB on our roster that he was surprised it lead him perfectly and he shouldn't have stopped short.

Scooter
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM

None of the RBs ran for more yds/carry than the 3.6 yds/carry that Keenum turned in on his 3 runs. :kubepalm:

and all of that was in the first half. by my count we had -1 rushing yards in the second half outside of a 9 yard run by keenum.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm hoping Case spends some quality time with Kubiak during the bye week.

They're off.

I heard on the radio today, the Texans had a light practice, then were let go until next Tuesday.

EllisUnit
10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Eh. The Hopkins throw shoulda been on his left shoulder and not his right. Keenum admitted that post game. But the Graham throw, I think maybe Graham is trained to run shallow to catch under-thrown balls from another certain QB on our roster that he was surprised it lead him perfectly and he shouldn't have stopped short.

It dont matter it was still in his hands, regardless.

jaayteetx
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Are you kidding? The other guy gets paid too.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 05:01 PM
They're off.

I heard on the radio today, the Texans had a light practice, then were let go until next Tuesday.I was meaning in Kubiak's backyard or something. Geez, Louise.:pinned:

utahmark
10-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Where that ball was thrown allowed the defender to make a play. A better throw and the defender would not of been able to make a play.

EllisUnit
10-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Where that ball was thrown allowed the defender to make a play. A better throw and the defender would not of been able to make a play.

i agree to an extent, all i am saying is the ball was still in his hands. Had he pulled the ball into his body right after he caught it then it would of been a TD.

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
i agree to an extent, all i am saying is the ball was still in his hands. Had he pulled the ball into his body right after he caught it then it would of been a TD.

You may not have noticed, but once he caught it, instead of pulling it in immediately, he wasted movement unecessarily trying to re-position the ball in his hands.

Rey
10-22-2013, 05:53 PM
You may not have noticed, but once he caught it, instead of pulling it in immediately, he wasted movement unecessarily trying to re-position the ball in his hands.

Was not the greatest throw, was not the worst throw. Hopkins and kubiak both said that's a catch they expect him to make. Keenum said he expects to throw a better ball there.

But you're right looking at it from Hopkins perspective he could have pulled the ball into his body. I said that when it happened.

From keenums perspective he could have placed the ball better and given Hopkins an easier catch.

WolverineFan
10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Was not the greatest throw, was not the worst throw. Hopkins and kubiak both said that's a catch they expect him to make. Keenum said he expects to throw a better ball there.

But you're right looking at it from Hopkins perspective he could have pulled the ball into his body. I said that when it happened.

From keenums perspective he could have placed the ball better and given Hopkins an easier catch.

Yep. It was not a great throw by Keenum. It was in the area, but not to the desired location. However, it hit Hopkins in the hands and he had it. You have to make that catch.

Both guys are young and talented. Both will do better next time.

ObsiWan
10-22-2013, 06:24 PM

Eff. Gary. Kubiak.

You're reading this quote as the final answer. There was more emphasis than normal by Kubiak on that "we're going to evaluate that position... err, we're going to evaluate every position..."

He's just following the press conference teachings of Bill Belichick, i.e., answer the press pukes' questions but provide as little real information as you can get away with.

This is just my SWAG (Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess) but I think Case starts the next game. Or if Schaub does start he's on a chain-type leash that has like four links in it.

jaayteetx
10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
You're reading this quote as the final answer. There was more emphasis than normal by Kubiak on that "we're going to evaluate that position... err, we're going to evaluate every position..."

He's just following the press conference teachings of Bill Belichick, i.e., answer the press pukes' questions but provide as little real information as you can get away with.

This is just my SWAG (Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess) but I think Case starts the next game. Or if Schaub does start he's on a chain-type leash that has like four links in it.

I'm going with this assumption for now but if Kubiak throws Matt Schaub out there against the colts, I'll be in full blown pink/blue/yellow you name it fire Kubiak soap mode.

amazing80
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm going with this assumption for now but if Kubiak throws Matt Schaub out there against the colts, I'll be in full blown pink/blue/yellow you name it fire Kubiak soap mode.

Man I just don't know, how can a logical person watch the throws Case made and the movement case had and say Schaub is our best option...its just factually incorrect....case may not be the next best thing, but he is the best option we have right now.....let him finish the year and see if he is our top qb or if we need a first rounder.....give him the chance to earn the position going beyond this season

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Kubiak better not even consider splitting reps again. Case deserves all the prep from this day on to be fully prepared.

dalemurphy
10-22-2013, 07:51 PM

Yes... There is no way Schaub will start against Indy. He knows it. Case knows it. Schaub knows it. However, he's not going to call Schaub out or create undo pressure for Case, etc... My guess is the big debate right now at Reliant is whether they should keep Schaub active or place him on I.R... IR solves one set of problems but creates another. I'm guessing Schaub stays active but won't be shocked with IR news.

EllisUnit
10-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Man I just don't know, how can a logical person watch the throws Case made and the movement case had and say Schaub is our best option...its just factually incorrect....case may not be the next best thing, but he is the best option we have right now.....let him finish the year and see if he is our top qb or if we need a first rounder.....give him the chance to earn the position going beyond this season

Logical ? We are talking about Gary Kubiak here.....Since when besides this 1 week in starting Case over Yates has the man EVER been logical ?

IlliniJen
10-22-2013, 07:56 PM

I don't understand why he would semi-commit to naming a starting quarterback AT ALL at the presser. It doesn't make any sense. Just say that you're evaluating every position. Don't put yourself in the position (and Matt in the position) of naming a starter if you intend on yanking the rug out from under Schaub.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 08:18 PM

I don't know. Judging by the ones he caught vs Tennessee & the ones he caught in the preseason, looks like that's about where Hopkins "likes" it. Maybe a little bit higher, but I thought it was a good throw.

Had we seen some back-shoulder throws before now, I'd think that was an option, but it took us this long to come around to throwing a jump ball....

Baby steps.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 08:30 PM

You know I don't hate Schaub. But there's no way Kubiak can start Schaub.

He's coddled him long enough. The, "You're my guy." approach got us 4 losses in a row. That along with sub-par performance from the rest of the team.

We should be in the, "Sorry Matt, the kid gives us the better chance to win." mode.

Then it's up to Matt to get himself in the right frame of mind & be prepared to win his job back if he gets another opportunity. 1st team snaps aren't going to help him anyway.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2013, 08:36 PM
:) It's too bad Tonya Harding isn't a Texans fan, we wouldn't have to worry about Kubiak screwing this up.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Right, you'd have to throw qualifiers in there,

"Matt Schuab gives us the best chance to win if he's gotten over whatever he was suffering from & plays more aggressive than his norm."

"Matt Schaub gives us the best chance to win if Keenum doesn't take better care of the ball."

To assume those qualifiers to be true at this point, wouldn't be very smart. Schaub is in the position Keenum was in before Sunday. He's got to go out & prove he can handle the position & right now there's no reason to throw Matt out there if Case is healthy.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Schaub would get killed by the fans if he started. I wouldnt do that to schaub after what he went through getting booed when he got hurt, the house and burger thing.

If Kubiak doesn't think Schaub is tougher than that, he never would have started him in the first place. He's the QB, he's got to be able to ignore "public scrutiny." He's got to be his own worse critic.

But right now, Schaub is like that gambler who thinks his luck is about to change.

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes... There is no way Schaub will start against Indy. He knows it. Case knows it. Schaub knows it. However, he's not going to call Schaub out or create undo pressure for Case, etc... My guess is the big debate right now at Reliant is whether they should keep Schaub active or place him on I.R... IR solves one set of problems but creates another. I'm guessing Schaub stays active but won't be shocked with IR news.

IR would be both smart AND merciful, as whenever he is game ready again (and that is realistically not before 4-6 weeks post this type of injury), he will not be able to perform even as poorly as he did prior to this last injury.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 10:08 PM

Just as in college, Keenum always take the responsibility and put it on his shoulder.

Like I said in the All-encompassing Keenum thread; the ball was thrown to the right spot. Hopkins was tracking the ball from the get-go; he should have been able to use his body to shield the defender away.
A pair of 10-inch hands on the ball is AlWAYS a good throw.
Yes, a perfect throw would be a hair closer to Hopkins, a hair higher, and a hair, but this is the NFL, dude.

If Hopkins made that catch, everybody would have called it a GREAT throw.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't understand why he would semi-commit to naming a starting quarterback AT ALL at the presser. It doesn't make any sense. Just say that you're evaluating every position. Don't put yourself in the position (and Matt in the position) of naming a starter if you intend on yanking the rug out from under Schaub.

It's common practice for coaches to do an over-all evaluation during the bye week.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 10:16 PM
IR would be both smart AND merciful, as whenever he is game ready again (and that is realistically not before 4-6 weeks post this type of injury), he will not be able to perform even as poorly as he did prior to this last injury.

Having Schaub on the bench is just fine (if he's healthy); sooner or later, Schaub will have to accept a backup/mentor role with some team.

We need Yates to run the scout team.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Having Schaub on the bench is just fine (if he's healthy); sooner or later, Schaub will have to accept a backup/mentor role with some team.

We need Yates to run the scout team.Getting Schaub into the backup role gracefully seems to be the biggest sticking point. Kubiak and Schaub have a lot of history and respect for each other. It's all gonna be about saving face. But I do believe it will happen or Kubiak will be a players coach with no players.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 10:24 PM
They're off.

I heard on the radio today, the Texans had a light practice, then were let go until next Tuesday.

I was meaning in Kubiak's backyard or something. Geez, Louise.:pinned:

No.... I'm upset about it. One good part about the bye is that it allows some of the guys to get healthy, but I also thought it would be a good time to get Case some 1st team snaps. Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday.... wasted by giving the team the week off.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Getting Schaub into the backup role gracefully seems to be the biggest sticking point. Kubiak and Schaub have a lot of history and respect for each other. It's all gonna be about saving face. But I do believe it will happen or Kubiak will be a players coach with no players.

I think there's enough respect between the two that Matt as the back-up wouldn't be an issue. I think it's sticky right now, because Kubiak doesn't want him on the sideline. It's just a feeling, but I think Kubiak would have named Keenum the starter by now if the plan was to make Matt the back-up.

I don't know why he wouldn't want Matt on the sideline. If we started the season thinking Matt could win a Super Bowl, then we spend 4 games trying to get Matt out of his funk, the next step would be to have Matt wait for his opportunity as the #2.

Even if the original plan was to transition to Keenum by 2014, letting Matt be the #2 & being possibly getting an opportunity to redeem himself & get a job next season, makes perfect sense. & I like Tj, but I'd rather take a chance with Matt coming in to save the day (if needed) than Tj.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Getting Schaub into the backup role gracefully seems to be the biggest sticking point. Kubiak and Schaub have a lot of history and respect for each other. It's all gonna be about saving face. But I do believe it will happen or Kubiak will be a players coach with no players.

Well, Bledsoe was in his ninth year with the Patriots when he got hurt in game two.

When he came back, Belichik decided to stick with Brady even though Tom didn't really light it up. Brady TD/INT ration was 18/12 that year, hardly great. He even had a 4-INT game in week 6.

And it wasn't like Bledsoe was done; he went on to start for the Bills the next three years, and for the Cowboys another year and a half.

Nitrofish
10-22-2013, 10:54 PM
If Kubiak bases the decision on performance, probably won't, he will go with Keenum. He was better in every aspect of QB play. The biggest difference is his ability to extend a play and make a throw on the run/outside the pocket. This is especially important when you got our sorry a$$ RT Newton out there. He got beat so damn bad a couple of times all he could do is watch the OLB harrass the QB, horrible.

Yea man.. I especially liked the last offensive play that Keenum made when he was showing off his mobility, pocket awareness, and throw on the run skills. Whooohooo! Go Keenum! Nothing like a sack/fumble near your goal line to end any chance you have to drive down the field and kick the game winning FG to showcase those awesome attributes eh? Nothing says mobility better than not being able to outrun a 275 pound man. Go Keenum Go!

76Texan
10-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Well, Bledsoe was in his ninth year with the Patriots when he got hurt in game two.

When he came back, Belichik decided to stick with Brady even though Tom didn't really light it up. Brady TD/INT ration was 18/12 that year, hardly great. He even had a 4-INT game in week 6.

And it wasn't like Bledsoe was done; he went on to start for the Bills the next three years, and for the Cowboys another year and a half.

July 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Former Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe was a guest on Phoenix sports radio station KTAR last week, and spoke for one of the first times about his feelings on losing his job to Tom Brady after the devastating 2001 hit from the Jets' Mo Lewis that landed him in the hospital for several days.

"You know, I think that when you're young and you come in and have some success, you think you're bulletproof to an extent. But you find out fairly quickly that football is a replacement business and that no matter what it is that you've done, you're as good as your last play. And then to have all of that going on where I couldn't get my job back and this other kid was in there playing, begrudgingly now I can say he was playing awfully well and has gone on to play very well.
"But you know, there was some soul searching going on just to figure out how I was going to handle that whole thing. But you know, I swallowed my pride and showed up for work and got ready to play every week."
Bledsoe goes on to talk about the excitement he felt getting to play in the AFC Championship game in 2001 after Brady suffered a knee injury, and also discussed one of the other memorable hits of his career (aside from Lewis' tackle).

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Yea man.. I especially liked the last offensive play that Keenum made when he was showing off his mobility, pocket awareness, and throw on the run skills. Whooohooo! Go Keenum! Nothing like a sack/fumble near your goal line to end any chance you have to drive down the field and kick the game winning FG to showcase those awesome attributes eh? Nothing says mobility better than not being able to outrun a 275 pound man. Go Keenum Go!

Nitrofish, man, you might want to spend more time rewatching the game.

You come across as a hater, I'm sorry to say it.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 11:02 PM

And it wasn't like Bledsoe was done; he went on to start for the Bills the next three years, and for the Cowboys another year and a half.Are you seriously comparing Kubiak to Belichik? That's just wrong on several levels, regardless of years HC experience or anything else. Belichik is a football coach. Kubiak is a players coach. Belichick does what's best for the team, as a whole. Kubiak does what he thinks is best for the players, thinking it betters the team. Belichik seems to wholly buy into the idea that competition makes the team better. Kubiak seems to buy into making the players comfortable in their role on the team makes a team better. Judging by the results, I'd say the NFL is a dog eat dog world and the strong survive and prosper.

This is more about coaching philosophy than player ability, real or perceived.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Yea man.. I especially liked the last offensive play that Keenum made when he was showing off his mobility, pocket awareness, and throw on the run skills. Whooohooo! Go Keenum! Nothing like a sack/fumble near your goal line to end any chance you have to drive down the field and kick the game winning FG to showcase those awesome attributes eh? Nothing says mobility better than not being able to outrun a 275 pound man. Go Keenum Go!You're an idiot. I hope you haven't found a woman dumb enough to breed with you so you can piss in the human gene pool.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2013, 11:06 PM

Relax man, If your boy does lose his job, he'll still have one of the best jobs in professional sports.. the backup QB. You get one of the best views in the house, don't have to be hit, and are still paid millions. :) It's a pretty sweet deal.

badboy
10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Yea man.. I especially liked the last offensive play that Keenum made when he was showing off his mobility, pocket awareness, and throw on the run skills. Whooohooo! Go Keenum! Nothing like a sack/fumble near your goal line to end any chance you have to drive down the field and kick the game winning FG to showcase those awesome attributes eh? Nothing says mobility better than not being able to outrun a 275 pound man. Go Keenum Go!May not remember correctly but seemed like our O lineman should have kept blocking the guy who tackled Keenum from behind. I think Keenum thought his back was protected & was looking down field to make a play.

legacy_gt
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM

you're right. keenum needs to go back and talk to schaub on mobility and throwing on the run...you know, show us how it's done matt.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Ball security is an issue that's being glossed over right now. It should have been expected & definitely something he'll be working on in the future. The key is that he knows it's an issue. Over the next three games, his sack fumble # needs to be zero for me to have any more confidence in him going forward than our reigning pick 6 champion.

He's been smart with the ball so far. For me he's earned some leeway in the INT department. He can throw one a game for all I care, as long as he doesn't throw a really, really dumb one or fumble the ball in the same game.

The Keenum era has started.

Nitrofish
10-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Nitrofish, man, you might want to spend more time rewatching the game.

You come across as a hater, I'm sorry to say it.

You mean I have to actually watch the games? Now why didn't I think of that? Gee Wiz!

You're an idiot. I hope you haven't found a woman dumb enough to breed with you so you can piss in the human gene pool.

Wow, now that was some deep insightful commentary there. One thing is for sure. It did lead to some idea of what kind of a human being you are. Cheers DocBar. You really know how to make the Human Race look good!

Relax man, If your boy does lose his job, he'll still have one of the best jobs in professional sports.. the backup QB. You get one of the best views in the house, don't have to be hit, and are still paid millions. :) It's a pretty sweet deal.

Did I say something incorrect? Did I exaggerate? Funny also to read all of these comments about Newton all of the sudden, as if he was not the same right tackle who has been missing blocks for two years now. But now that Golden Boy is in, it's an issue.

I hear allot of excuses, but it's ok, I know it is just a matter of time before you all turn on Keenum too. I can wait.

Brisco_County
10-22-2013, 11:20 PM

You mean the unblocked pass rushers? Perfectly valid critique of the QB there.

legacy_gt
10-22-2013, 11:21 PM
I hear allot of excuses, but it's ok, I know it is just a matter of time before you all turn on Keenum too. I can wait.

how could you not turn to someone with more potential at this point in time?

matter of time b4 we turn on keenum? you've already done that....

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:22 PM
May not remember correctly but seemed like our O lineman should have kept blocking the guy who tackled Keenum from behind. I think Keenum thought his back was protected & was looking down field to make a play.

When Brown was beat to the inside, Keenum had to retreat backward.
He then put both hands on the ball and tried to get out of the pocket before be can decide whether he has a throw downfield, or keep running with it.

Newton let his man get around a hair too quickly.
Normally, it would have been OK if Keenum had the room to step up the pocket.

The defender had a running start, and caught Keenum from behind.

This is still a negative about Keenum.
If he was a bigger QB, he might be able to hold on to the ball better.

However, with Schaub, the defender would have gotten there even sooner.
It would have been a sack just the same; just not sure about the fumble.
Or Schaub could have been hit real hard and cough up the ball. Who knows.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Did I say something incorrect? Did I exaggerate? Funny also to read all of these comments about Newton all of the sudden, as if he was not the same right tackle who has been missing blocks for two years now. But now that Golden Boy is in, it's an issue.

Yes you exaggerated.. somebody made a post on how Keenum showed he could make plays outside of the pocket..and he did in the game. Your agenda led you to pull up a bad play against the best front 7 in the league where we had literally no running backs left in the game to keep them honest.

As far as "reading all these comments about Newton all of a sudden". LMAO, this is just you showing your bias if you actually think people are "now just all of a sudden talking about Newton's bad play" or how people just now think it's a issue. That's a complete downright lie, it's been well documented on this board how people feel about Newton.. they were saying he sucks even when your boy played. They have been talking about his bad play since he was inserted into the lineup

As far as how you can't wait for people to "turn on Keenum too", that's really besides the point. The point is people are finally ready to turn the page on Schaub, because it's obvious he is not the answer.. regardless if Keenum will prove to be or not has yet to be seen, but at least we don't know yet, hence why he should get his Shot .. we already know Schaub isn't, hence why it's time for him to move aside.

thunderkyss
Are you seriously comparing Kubiak to Belichik? That's just wrong on several levels, regardless of years HC experience or anything else.

Kubiak-now vs Belichick-now, you're right. No contest.

Kubiak-now vs Belichick-then...... the argument can be made.

Bill Belichick was not without his faults his first 10 years as HC.

DocBar
He then put both hands on the ball and tried to get out of the pocket before be can decide whether he has a throw downfield, or keep running with it.

If he was a bigger QB, he might be able to hold on to the ball better.However, with Schaub, the defender would have gotten there even sooner.
Or Schaub could have been hit real hard and cough up the ball. Who knows.I disagree with the bolded. Keenum palmed the ball with two hands, but that sack would've resulted in a fumble 99% of the time. Keenum did what any QB would do (except Schaub or Carr...they would've assumed fetal many seconds earlier) and put both hands on the ball while looking downfield for an open receiver.

Those kinds of turnovers are much more acceptable than the kind Schaub has had this season. Yates isn't even worth discussing at this point.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:29 PM
With Schaub in there, I think we would have seen about 10 sacks, and an INT or two (maybe even a pick-six; I shudder just thinking about it.)

This one was on the CB blitz from the outside of the LT.
Keenum saw the green dog; with a defender retreat back looking for a pick so be ate the sack.

We have seen Schaub throw a few INTs in this instance; Yates, too.
Keenum avoided a couple of INTs in these similar scenarios (taking a sack both times.)

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Kubiak-now vs Belichick-now, you're right. No contest.

Kubiak-now vs Belichick-then...... the argument can be made.

Bill Belichick was not without his faults his first 10 years as HC.

Yeah, Belichik didn't turn into the Zen master until Brady.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I disagree with the bolded. Keenum palmed the ball with two hands, but that sack would've resulted in a fumble 99% of the time. Keenum did what any QB would do (except Schaub or Carr...they would've assumed fetal many seconds earlier) and put both hands on the ball while looking downfield for an open receiver.

Those kinds of turnovers are much more acceptable than the kind Schaub has had this season. Yates isn't even worth discussing at this point.

Personally, I was OK with the second fumble, but I didn't want to make an excuse for Keenum.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2013, 11:34 PM

You have to take a lot of this guy's comments with a grain of salt. I can't prove it yet, but I'm convinced he's related to Schaub or has a personal relationship with him.

b0ng
10-22-2013, 11:43 PM
I think Keenum earned the next start it's obvious there's a lot there you can work with. If Kubiak starts Schaub after the bye I think it's going to be a case of him thinking Schaub is still the best option to win and that the season is not lost. I think that is wrong right now but Keenum is still prone to greenhorn mistakes, so it's not completely unfounded that Kubiak might think this. If some media speculation is true, then I have read that Kubiak thinks a lot of Keenum so we shall see what will happen.

Keenum has earned the start with how he performed.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2013/week-7-quick-reads

Keenum had a lot of big plays against DVOA's favorite defensive team, but it does look like the Chiefs figured him out by the end of the game. In Houston's last four drives, as the Texans trailed by a single point, Keenum went 3-of-6 for 42 yards wth one first down, four sacks, and two fumbles.

Obviously it wasn't perfect but he's certainly earned the right.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Yeah, Belichik didn't turn into the Zen master until Brady.He looked pretty dang good with Bledsoe before his injury. Don't rewrite history. He wasn't always a great HC, but he always did his best for the team, regardless of position.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 11:54 PM

Or Schaub would have delivered the ball on time & Newton's whiff would have been a non-issue, the way he used to do. Who knows is right.

Schaub's got his pick 6/INT issue that he was dealing with. Looked aiight against the Rams, but not enough to convince anyone that he's over it. & Keenum's proven that he's a viable alternative to the guy we saw take the field vs San Francisco & Baltimore.

So I'm glad everyone is happy with the new toy. But Keenum is not on par with that guy who played the first half of the Seahawks game, the second half/OT of the Titans game, or the end of the San Diego game. At least we haven't seen a Keenum yet who is on par with that guy. & while there was a dozen things in that game that Schaub would not have been able to do, it's disingenuous to suggest there wasn't a dozen less flashy (but just as effective) things that #8 could've/would've done.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 11:59 PM
His first coaching gig with the Browns ended up with a minus ten in the win-loss column, with Testaverde at QB for a few years.

His first year with Bledsoe, 2000, the pats went 5-11.
The lost their first two games in 2001; then came Brady.

Nitrofish
10-23-2013, 12:00 AM
You mean the unblocked pass rushers? Perfectly valid critique of the QB there.

Wow and I was told to actually watch the game. Perhaps you should take that same advice. The guy was blocked 12 yards up the field. How long is a guy supposed to maintain that block? That was one of the rare instances that Newton was actually blocking. Take those rose colored glasses off this time, I am sure you will see what I mean.

I have? Why because I pointed out the truth? I support whomever is the starting QB, and if that is Keenum he will have my full support.

If he was a bigger QB, he might be able to hold on to the ball better.

Brown was not beat, he was pushed into the pocket, but he was not beat, and Newton blocked Hali 12 yards up the field. This sack/fumble was on Keenum no matter how much you want to deny it.

I have watched the play 20 times now. Keenum had enough time to throw, and room to run had he chosen to do that. He held the ball, he got sacked, he fumbled, which is why you don't want your QB running around extending plays because that is what can happen.

A sack would have been fine, at least the Texans could have gotten up and ran some more plays. Still had a chance to win with a sack, but the turnover ended the game.

Yes you exaggerated.. somebody made a post on how Keenum showed he could make plays outside of the pocket..and he did in the game. Your agenda led you to pull up a bad play against the best front 7 in the league where we had literally no running backs left in the game to keep them honest.

As far as "reading all these comments about Newton all of a sudden". LMAO, this is just you showing your bias if you actually think people are "now just all of a sudden talking about Newton's bad play" or how people just now think it's a issue. That's a complete downright lie, it's been well documented on this board how people feel about Newton.. they were saying he sucks even when your boy played. They have been talking about his bad play since he was inserted into the lineup

As far as how you can't wait for people to "turn on Keenum too", that's really besides the point. The point is people are finally ready to turn the page on Schaub, because it's obvious he is not the answer.. regardless if Keenum will prove to be or not has yet to be seen, but at least we don't know yet, hence why he should get his Shot .. we already know Schaub isn't, hence why it's time to move aside.

No running backs to keep them honest? Dude there was 1:41 left in the game, the Texans had no time outs. Who the hell would be running the ball at that point to keep someone honest? NOBODY! Just more excuses. Keenum had plenty of time to be the hero and win the game, he failed and ended it on ONE PLAY even though all of you swore if we just had a mobile QB those things would not happen.

Wait I thought the Seahawaks have the best front 7? Hmmm. seems like to me you want to make excuses. It does not matter what front 7 you are facing. If your have that IT factor, then you win. Isn't that what was said? Doesn't Keenum have that IT, that "Aura"? Where was it on the one play we needed it most?

I never said "I can't wait", so stop trying to put words in my mouth. I said "it is a matter of time", so stop with the BS. Nothing wrong with being ready to turn the page on Schaub, but pumping sunshine as you guys used to say does not make the problem go away.

There was nothing in my original post that said it is not time to move on, nor anything saying Case should not get another shot. I simply called the play out for what it is. A game ending sack fumble on a guy who is supposed to be mobile, have a quick release, and great pocket awareness. None of those things were displayed on that final play. I am sorry if that hurts your feelings, but lets see the Internet tough guy you were when you were criticizing Schaub when giving analysis on Keenum.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Or Schaub would have delivered the ball on time & Newton's whiff would have been a non-issue, the way he used to do. Who knows is right.

Schaub's got his pick 6/INT issue that he was dealing with. Looked aiight against the Rams, but not enough to convince anyone that he's over it. & Keenum's proven that he's a viable alternative to the guy we saw take the field vs San Francisco & Baltimore.

So I'm glad everyone is happy with the new toy. But Keenum is not on par with that guy who played the first half of the Seahawks game, the second half/OT of the Titans game, or the end of the San Diego game. At least we haven't seen a Keenum yet who is on par with that guy. & while there was a dozen things in that game that Schaub would not have been able to do, it's disingenuous to suggest there wasn't a dozen less flashy (but just as effective) things that #8 could've/would've done.
No way; if Schaub saw Brown get beat to the inside, he would have retreat and curl up. Can't get the pass off there; no time. Heck, even with Keenum's quick delivery, he didn't even have time to throw the ball. There's no way Schaub can get the ball off. There was nobody open early; and you don't call a play for your QB to take the snap and just throw the ball away immediately; there is no such play in football.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Nitro, on that last play, Keenum was trying to step up the pocket at the one-sec mark; you would expect the protection call was for the LT not to allow penetration to the inside.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2013, 12:11 AM

My problem with Schaub is that going back to last season it is become blatantly clear that he is not the same guy and I'm becoming a true believer on what the good local Doc had to say about his foot injury. He went from being some one who was considered by even the national media as a "vastly underrated player", having debates whether or not if he's a top 10/ elite QB.. (and whether he was or not, he at least played like one and could put up the #s to boot). He's fallen to a player that is now regarded by those around the league as just a "game manager type". We've seen flashes of the old Schaub like you've mentioned above, but they've become fewer and farther between and you can no longer consistently expect that type of play out of "today's Schaub".

Honestly the only thing I think Keenum lacks that Schaub has is experience (one of the reasons why he was so bothered by the blitzes late in that game) and there's only one way for him to get experience. He has to play. Schaub's best days are behind him though and I don't expect him to return to form. I still like the guy and don't want us to IR him, I think his knowledge and experience can help Keenum and he could be a valuable asset to bounce questions off of.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Nitro, on that last play, Keenum was trying to step up the pocket at the one-sec mark; you would expect the protection call was for the LT not to allow penetration to the inside.

And remember that I didn't blame Newton on this play, even though he can do a hair better.

Keenum was out of the pocket at the 3-sec mark; that's all you can ask from your QB, wouldn't you say?

DocBar
10-23-2013, 12:21 AM
This getting old. 2 ignore list adoptees from the new crop of football geniuses. I just can't take the stupidity anymore. The old time posters, I understand. These new fuktards are just intolerable.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:22 AM
And remember that I didn't blame Newton on this play, even though he can do a hair better.

Keenum was out of the pocket at the 3-sec mark; that's all you can ask from your QB, wouldn't you say?

Look at the routes that Hopkins, Jean, Graham, and Tate ran.
They require that the QB being able to step up the pocket.

Nitrofish
10-23-2013, 12:25 AM
May not remember correctly but seemed like our O lineman should have kept blocking the guy who tackled Keenum from behind. I think Keenum thought his back was protected & was looking down field to make a play.

In a perfect world lineman should pancake their man and then lay on top of him until the whistle blows, but there is no doubt Newton was outclassed by Tamba Hali, but on that play, Newton blocked his man sufficiently. The ball should have come out, or Keenum should have ran.

you're right. keenum needs to go back and talk to schaub on mobility and throwing on the run...you know, show us how it's done matt.

actually no, that would be stupid since Schaub is not mobile, but perhaps Keenum could take a page from (Excluding the recent rash of turnover) Schaub's excellent record of protecting the football. As much as we hate to see Schaub fall down when a sack is imminent, it is a matter of protecting the football and not coughing it up like Keenum did. Sure you get extended plays when you have a guy running around back there on broken plays, but you also see more turnovers when you get outside the game plan. Ultimately it is exciting to watch, but it did not win the game, in fact it was the sole reason the game was lost.

You have to take a lot of this guy's comments with a grain of salt. I can't prove it yet, but I'm convinced he's related to Schaub or has a personal relationship with him.

Even though I know you are such a narcissist that you are incapable of conceiving of the idea that not everyone thinks like you, I have to say that going back to the tired "he is a relative of" or "In a relationship with" Schaub does nothing for your credibility. Kind of like saying Keenum was sacked and fumbled because we had no running backs to keep the D honest. WEAK SAUCE!

Excellent post!

No way; if Schaub saw Brown get beat to the inside, he would have retreat and curl up. Can't get the pass off there; no time. Heck, even with Keenum's quick delivery, he didn't even have time to throw the ball. There's no way Schaub can get the ball off. There was nobody open early; and you don't call a play for your QB to take the snap and just throw the ball away immediately; there is no such play in football.

Really? You mean with with 1:41 to go and no timeouts you should just take your time and wait for players to get open? That at some point the defender is going to find his mark while you mosey around in the pocket? Keenum had plenty of time to throw, and or run. He hesitated, he got sacked, he fumbled, Chiefs recovered, GAME OVER!

Of course you throw the ball away, stop the clock and prevent a turnover from happening. Have more chances to get in FG range. There is a such a play in the NFL. It's called "common knowledge on three, ready? BREAK!"

Carr Bombed
10-23-2013, 12:31 AM
This getting old. 2 ignore list adoptees from the new crop of football geniuses. I just can't take the stupidity anymore. The old time posters, I understand. These new fuktards are just intolerable.

Yep, I've added one to my ignore list as well :)

qqert
10-23-2013, 12:38 AM
COME ON KUBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://i.imgur.com/GVLOEv3.jpg

Nitrofish
10-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Look at the routes that Hopkins, Jean, Graham, and Tate ran.
They require that the QB being able to step up the pocket.

You do understand that was not the Texans offensive scheme right? That they basically ran plays from Keenum's College days so that he would do well? You understand that is why he was moving the ball on the Chiefs so easily right? Caught them off guard in the first half for sure as they were expecting the Texans offensive scheme.

But you see what happened in the 2nd half right? After the Chiefs figured out what the Texans were trying to do and adjusted? But you also realize that the Texans are not going to continue to run the spread offense the rest of the year right? So what does Keenum look like when he is running the Texans offensive scheme? We didn't get to see that, so we do not know anything other than you caught a team off guard for a half of football that was not expecting the spread offense from the Texans.

Thank goodness, I was beginning to think I might have to keep listening to comments from your side of the gene pool.

Yep, I've added one to my ignore list as well :)

Awwwe, how sweet. Well aren't you two a cute couple now!:handshake:

thunderkyss
10-23-2013, 12:42 AM

At the very least we live to play another down...... on offense, with the ball.

My problem with Schaub....

We've seen flashes of the old Schaub like you've mentioned above, but they've become fewer and farther between and you can no longer consistently expect that type of play out of "today's Schaub".

I agree with your whole post. This part though is the most important part going forward. You just don't know. & we won't know until he gets back in the saddle. & if we can't expect him to be that guy consistently then my vote is to go with the kid... I think it's easier for Kubiak to anticipate where he'll struggle & compensate accordingly..... plus Case's big play ability (which we have not seen from Schaub in a long, long time) pottentially trumps whatever rookie mistakes he might have (to a point).

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:48 AM
At the very least we live to play another down...... on offense, with the ball.

When it is clear cut, yes.

Keenum did eat a couple of sacks and threw the ball away at least once when it was clear that he should.

This isn't one of those times.

Vance87
10-23-2013, 12:48 AM
You do understand that was not the Texans offensive scheme right? That they basically ran plays from Keenum's College days so that he would do well? You understand that is why he was moving the ball on the Chiefs so easily right? Caught them off guard in the first half for sure as they were expecting the Texans offensive scheme.

But you see what happened in the 2nd half right? After the Chiefs figured out what the Texans were trying to do and adjusted? But you also realize that the Texans are not going to continue to run the spread offense the rest of the year right? So what does Keenum look like when he is running the Texans offensive scheme? We didn't get to see that, so we do not know anything other than you caught a team off guard for a half of football that was not expecting the spread offense from the Texans.

Thank goodness, I was beginning to think I might have to keep listening to comments from your side of the gene pool.

Awwwe, how sweet. Well aren't you two a cute couple now!:handshake:

I didn't realize that scrambling out to the sidelines, then coming back and throwing a perfect ball across your body 40 yards down the field was in our playbook. Thanks.

thunderkyss
10-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Of course you throw the ball away, stop the clock and prevent a turnover from happening. Have more chances to get in FG range. There is a such a play in the NFL. It's called "common knowledge on three, ready? BREAK!"

I think that's a very important point to remember. We only needed a field goal. & what we saw, I think Keenum was trying to make a play instead of living to play another down.

It would have been great & he'd have been a hero had he made something out of that one.... but there's a balance & we're going to see how that balances out with Keenum if he continues to play. I think it's safe to say most here are not comfortable with where that risk/rewards balance settled with Schaub.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:51 AM

Nitro, I am a Cougars fan since 1975.
I had watched plenty of Keenum.
That was not Cougars offense; it was 100% Texans offense.

When I ask you to watch more football, I'm quite serious.
It's not a knock; the last 4-5 years. I'm on football as a 70-80 hour a week job.
I don't claim that I know everything about football, but I do try to learn and watch a lot.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I think that's a very important point to remember. We only needed a field goal. & what we saw, I think Keenum was trying to make a play instead of living to play another down.

It would have been great & he'd have been a hero had he made something out of that one.... but there's a balance & we're going to see how that balances out with Keenum if he continues to play. I think it's safe to say most here are not comfortable with where that risk/rewards balance settled with Schaub.

TK, please rewatch the play again; there was no time to throw the ball away!!!

thunderkyss
10-23-2013, 12:56 AM

You do understand this is the same strategy that got RGIII, Russell Wilson, & Andrew Luck into the play-offs last season don't you? How can you not be on board with this strategy?

& you make it sound like we sht canned the whole book & that's not the case. That bootleg that set Graham up..... we've run that many times in the past. The bootleg is a big part of our system, but we've basically scrapped that with Schaub under center since it appears the word around the NFL is that's the only way Schaub can hurt them. If the backside defender doesn't chase the run..... we're not going to run the bootleg......

So we put things in & take things out all the time. That's the way it is in the NFL.

thunderkyss
10-23-2013, 01:00 AM
TK, please rewatch the play again; there was no time to throw the ball away!!!

I thought you said he left the pocket at the second mark. That's a lifetime against that pass rush.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 01:02 AM
I thought you said he left the pocket at the second mark. That's a lifetime against that pass rush.
But the play called for him to step up the pocket.
Watch it again. If he tried to throw the ball, it would have been batted down.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 01:05 AM
You do understand this is the same strategy that got RGIII, Russell Wilson, & Andrew Luck into the play-offs last season don't you? How can you not be on board with this strategy?

& you make it sound like we sht canned the whole book & that's not the case. That bootleg that set Graham up..... we've run that many times in the past. The bootleg is a big part of our system, but we've basically scrapped that with Schaub under center since it appears the word around the NFL is that's the only way Schaub can hurt them. If the backside defender doesn't chase the run..... we're not going to run the bootleg......

So we put things in & take things out all the time. That's the way it is in the NFL.

The Texans started the game with two outside zone run.
The third play was a faked zone run when Keenum completed a pass to AJ.
The fourth play was another faked zone run when Keenum rolled out on the bootleg and threw the ball across his body. Graham had both hands on the ball but couldn't pull it in.

thunderkyss
10-23-2013, 01:06 AM
But the play called for him to step up the pocket.
Watch it again. If he tried to throw the ball, it would have been batted down.

The midget? Or Schaub?

Look, I'm happy for your boy. He took a damn good shot with the opportunity given him. I think the right thing to do would be to give him another start. I'm fairly sure, damn near positive, Kubiak will do the right thing.

But this is going to be one of the things they'll talk about when they go over the film (I think they already did). Keenum knows he's got to do better in that situation & he knows, I'm sure, that he could have done better.

He's getting a pass for basically giving the game away on that play......

let it go.

76Texan
10-23-2013, 01:30 AM
One of the plays that Keenum missed was on third and 4 with about 4:37 to go.

He failed to see Jean wide open for a first down on the hot read.
He was looking left first and missed that easy one.
That one was totally on him.