PDA

View Full Version : .. and it only took a quarter, so who's ready to eat crow?

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Matt Schaub will never play another down for this team, Keenum is a legit starting NFL quarterback. :cool:

thetexanator
10-20-2013, 04:27 PM
looks good so far. i wanna give it 3 more quarters

cdollaz
10-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Matt Flynn and his wallet approve of this thread.

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Geez....

CretorFrigg
10-20-2013, 04:32 PM
This kid is BALLING. I love it.

Stemp
10-20-2013, 04:33 PM
This kid is BALLING. I love it.
So far so good.

Still a lot of football to play

thetexanator
10-20-2013, 04:34 PM
old man reed running half speed again

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Matt Flynn and his wallet approve of this thread.

So you're not ready yet.. that's okay, unlike Flynn, the QB job is up for grabs here and Keenum will be here for awhile as will this thread. The Crow will always be warm for you to come back to later.

P.S.

Ed Reed sucks

bOODRO87
10-20-2013, 04:46 PM
If Keenum keeps playing like this, Schaub is done.

eriadoc
10-20-2013, 04:46 PM
So THIS is what unbridled enthusiasm feels like. Huh, who knew?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-20-2013, 04:48 PM
But Keenum was undrafted and not even invited to any other NFL teams' camps! lol

Rey
10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Offense looks completely different. I know that much.

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 04:51 PM

Doesnt look all that different, it just looks like a real offense..

utahmark
10-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Doesnt look all that different, it just looks like a real offense..

So.... different!

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 04:54 PM
So.... different!

Lol...

santo
10-20-2013, 04:56 PM
I have never seen the Texans get so many yac like in the first half. Hopefully Case keeps it up.

ensign_lee
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM
I would love to eat this crow. It would be the most delicious crow I have ever eaten.

Please keep it up Case...

ATXtexanfan
10-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Matt Schaub will never play another down for this team, Keenum is a legit starting NFL quarterback. :cool:

Lol, like banging a fat chick. VY > case

ATXtexanfan
10-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Carr bombed should have all rep deleted

Stemp
10-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Case needs to work on identifying and adjusting to the blitz.

gtexan02
10-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Way to jinx it

Ryan
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Why does this thread exist :vincepalm:

Home team fan
10-20-2013, 06:33 PM
A lot of scared crows in Houston tonight

BleedsRocketRed
He did great given the circumstances. No way am I disappointed in how he played. First game, first start, IN arrowhead, against a top 2 D in the league? Ill take it.

Overall, he did great. Sure he needs to make some adjustments, but he has a LOT of upside I will gladly take.

EllisUnit
I defense of Case, we had no running backs, their DBs were tackling our guys before the ball was even thrown with no flags. u could tell that Tate wasnt right, the kid played very well IMO.

eriadoc
10-20-2013, 06:34 PM
He did great given the circumstances. No way am I disappointed in how he played. First game, first start, IN arrowhead, against a top 2 D in the league? Ill take it.

With no running game. Once KC figured that out in the second half, they loosed the hounds.

DocBar
10-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Case needs to work on identifying and adjusting to the blitz.He burned the blitz a couple of times in the 1st half. The Chiefs made the proper adjustments and let their superior talent whip our OL.

Case does need to read the D better, though. He also needs to learn to protect the ball better in the pocket. All in all, I'm not surprised with his performance and think he did enough to start in two weeks. Just imagine the outcome if Schaub had been under center today. It would've been a sack and pick 6 fest. It would've been a slaughter instead of a close contest.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Keenum played great especially considering how bad our offensive line is and practically having only 1 active running back.

rmartin65
Not yet. He looked ok, but did nothing to show me that he is the future. I do think he could be a decent backup though.

gtexan02
Classic first time starter today. Looked great in 1st half because of no film. Looked very beatable in 2nd half after Andy Reid made adjustments.
He showed a lot today but some of you are ready to crown him our franchise QB after a fairly mediocre performance.

2 fumbles and a number of poor blitz pickups. Holds the ball too long. Part of that goes on the OL but this was not a breakout game IMO

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Not yet. He looked ok,

:backsout:

OK? For real?............

I'm not saying he is the answer either but ok????

Agendas are going be served with this kind of talk after Keenum's performance I guess?

silvrhand
10-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Again it's one game..

How many Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Kolb, etc, etc.. He looked good but second half he looked meh, he couldn't see the overload blitz, he should have rolled away, got the ball out quicker, etc etc.

Not ready to hand a multi million dollar contract and anoint him the new king.

GuerillaBlack
10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
He burned the blitz a couple of times in the 1st half. The Chiefs made the proper adjustments and let their superior talent whip our OL.

Case does need to read the D better, though. He also needs to learn to protect the ball better in the pocket. All in all, I'm not surprised with his performance and think he did enough to start in two weeks. Just imagine the outcome if Schaub had been under center today. It would've been a sack and pick 6 fest. It would've been a slaughter instead of a close contest.

You have to remember that there was no running game and Tate obviously wasn't right. I bet if Wood was active, the game would have played out differently. Just needed a running game.

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 06:39 PM
this was not a breakout game IMO

.............rrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhh hhtttttttttttt

Again not saying he IS the answer, Texans should be scouting QB's for sure.

But attempting to downplay Cases play to try to back up people opinion before the game today serves no one any good.

rmartin65
10-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Agendas are going be served with this kind of talk after Keenum's performance I guess?

Yeah, ok. He made some nice throws. He made some ok throws. He made some bad throws. He showed good mobility, but could not pick up the blitz to save his life.

As someone pointed out, he looked worse as the game went on. That happens with 1st time starters- they look good at first, because the other team knows nothing about them. As they play and the other team gets a feel for them, well, they look worse.

He did enough for me to want to see him as the starter for the next game.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Way to jinx it

what did I jinx? and this thread exists for a reason.

Case played his ass off, proved he belongs, and solidified himself as the Texans future starter. It's not his fault we lost, Graham and Hopkins need to catch easy passes and we need a Oline. If Schuab would've started he would've gotten killed behind that type of protection

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah, ok. He made some nice throws. He made some ok throws. He made some bad throws. He showed good mobility, but could not pick up the blitz to save his life.

As someone pointed out, he looked worse as the game went on. That happens with 1st time starters- they look good at first, because the other team knows nothing about them. As they play and the other team gets a feel for them, well, they look worse.

I have my daughter so I didn't drink today. My sober eyes that watched that game today saw something different than you did somehow. I saw horrible oline play, I did see Case burn a few blitz's but yeah not all (hello Schaub and Yates getting killed if they were in too there) I saw dumbass play clock management, horrible reffing, ridiculous play calling in some cases....did I mention oline play?

He had pressure in his face all damn day, IN Arrowhead against a bad ass Chiefs defense. I would assume most 3rd stringers who actually are garbage would have come out and straight sucked balls. THAT is what you NORMALLY see with 3rd stringers. Case was nowhere near that and actually made dare I say actual NFL throws Texans fans don't get to see unless they watch another team yet he's being downplayed. I literally cannot comprehend this as a legitimate argument? Not trying to go on the attack, I'm seriously just dumbfounded I'm seeing this from a few people.

DocBar
10-20-2013, 06:55 PM
You have to remember that there was no running game and Tate obviously wasn't right. I bet if Wood was active, the game would have played out differently. Just needed a running game.I've mentioned that very thing several times today. I agree that Wood being active could've been a difference maker.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 06:59 PM

His offensive line couldn't pick up a blitz.. and what bad throws did he make? please list them. let's say we spend a first round pick on a QB and in their first start against a team who's

Number 1 in points allowed (btw Case led a team that beat that average and he would've smashed it if his receivers could simply hold on to the football)

was number 1 in turnovers allowed

and was

also number 1 in passing yards allowed.... (a UDFA completed big plays against them all day long)

If you spent a first round pick on a QB and that QB performed half as well as Keenum did, you'd be ecstatic.. he was our best player on the field today.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't like posting about case since I'm a UH grad and will get labeled as a homer, Etc. However, say what you will about the game today, anyone who would rather have Schaub or Yates out there THIS season is smoking rocks. If Keenum gets the play out the season, or at least a good stretch of games, the discussion of our future QB will have more meaning and direction. I want Case to be the guy, but I'd rather win so if he doesn't cut it over the course of the next few games then let's talk draft.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't like posting about case since I'm a UH grad and will get labeled as a homer, Etc. However, say what you will about the game today, anyone who would rather have Schaub or Yates out there THIS season is smoking rocks. If Keenum gets the play out the season, or at least a good stretch of games, the discussion of our future QB will have more meaning and direction. I want Case to be the guy, but I'd rather win so if he doesn't cut it over the course of the next few games then let's talk draft.

I'm not a UofH fan and I can say.. Keenum was not the reason why we lost today.. if he plays like he did today in every game he starts for us, we'll win football games. The Oline has to get better and the defense needs to recognize what a screen is or when a team only has one real threat (Charles)

Keenum's performance far exceeded my expectations and whether it happens here or somewhere else.. he's a starter in this league.

gtexan02
10-20-2013, 07:08 PM

16 points with 1 td pass and two fumbles and a loss is 'ok'
He had some awesome plays but he wasn't consistently that way. He has a lot left to show but certainly a promising start that deserves more playing time

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Case played a lot better the what I thought he would. The long td throw, the throw across his body and a good run. That said he did not play great anyone who thinks he played great still has rose glasses on. His two fumbles were him simply not being aware of what was going on or not wanting to take a sack. In both those plays we would have been better off with the oragami Schaub fold

michaelm
10-20-2013, 07:13 PM

I have no clue what game you're watching, but u give you credit. You managed to illustrate beyond a doubt that you know nothing about the game of football.
Ok, there's another possibility. You might actually be Vince young.

santo
10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Case played a lot better the what I thought he would. The long td throw, the throw across his body and a good run. That said he did not play great anyone who thinks he played great still has rose glasses on. His two fumbles were him simply not being aware of what was going on or not wanting to take a sack. In both those plays we would have been better off with the oragami Schaub fold

Yes we would have been better with Schaub because we could have been resting Cushing since the game would have been a blow out anyway.
:scarygirl:

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Well I guess I have rose colored glasses on, because I thought he played great in the situation he was placed in.

Funny how the only people who are criticizing how he played are the same who were against his starting.. go figure.

The guy played great. In his first start he far exceeded my expectations and I expected him to play well

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Well I guess I have rose colored glasses on, because I thought he played great in the situation he was placed in.

Funny how the only people who are criticizing how he played are the same who were against his starting.. go figure.

The guy played great. In his first start he far exceeded my expectations and I expected him to play well

He didn't play great.

I guess there is no criticism on your part to case for those two fumbles?

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 07:23 PM

Yep

Hervoyel
10-20-2013, 07:23 PM
I want to see him start again. I look at this game as a work in progress. Started the week supposedly splitting practice reps with Yates and hasn't started a real game since the 2012 Ticket City Bowl. I think there was a bit of real-game-speed "rust" there but I saw enough to see advantages over Schaub and I want to see where this goes.

Two weeks of first team reps and a home crowd against the Colts would be nice. Unfortunately we're probably going to see Gary trot out his boy Matt instead.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-20-2013, 07:26 PM

You're an idiot. Stop smoking PCP.

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Unfortunately we're probably going to see Gary trot out his boy Matt instead.

Note to self: Pick up rope at Home Depot next week and find support beam in ceiling.

:(

rmartin65
10-20-2013, 07:27 PM
His offensive line couldn't pick up a blitz.. and what bad throws did he make? please list them. let's say we spend a first round pick on a QB and in their first start against a team who's

Number 1 in points allowed (btw Case led a team that beat that average and he would've smashed it if his receivers could simply hold on to the football)

was number 1 in turnovers allowed

and was

also number 1 in passing yards allowed.... (a UDFA completed big plays against them all day long)

If you spent a first round pick on a QB and that QB performed half as well as Keenum did, you'd be ecstatic.. he was our best player on the field today.

Don't presume to tell me how I would feel in scenario X. I would not be ecstatic about this performance. I would say he looked ok, had some good plays and some not so good plays.

As for picking out the throws- I am not going to do that crap. I dont tape the games, and I dont have perfect memory.

But, for one example, the attempted EZ fade. That throw has to be higher and more towards the back shoulder.

The Keenum squad needs to understand that I am not saying he played poorly. I am just not on his jock strap like you guys are.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
He didn't play great.

I guess there is no criticism on your part to case for those two fumbles?

For somebody who's making his first start.. you bet your happy ass he played great

As far as criticism goes (which you and others fail to direct at Schaub).. turn on your radio, the entire city is praising Keenum right now. Keenum played better than expected, anyone who still wants to ***** about a couple of plays is someone who is not really a Texans fan and has other rooting interests.

TexansBull
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Disagree. Derek Newton still sucks.

The rest played better.

P.S

Ed Reed does suck.

Vance87
10-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Let's see -

- First ever NFL game with a few day's notice
- The best defense in the AFC
- The loudest outdoor stadium in the world
- Foster out basically the whole game
- D gives up 3rd and forevers
- O line plays like garbage
- Threw for more TDs and more yards than Smith, and had no picks
- Season basically on the line
- Made a few EXPECTED "rookie" mistakes

But he only played ok....:vincepalm:

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Let's see -

MSR

santo
10-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Let's see -

You forgot Tate getting injured. :kitten:

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Don't presume to tell me how I would feel in scenario X. I would not be ecstatic about this performance. I would say he looked ok, had some good plays and some not so good plays.

As for picking out the throws- I am not going to do that crap. I dont tape the games, and I dont have perfect memory.

But, for one example, the attempted EZ fade. That throw has to be higher and more towards the back shoulder.

The Keenum squad needs to understand that I am not saying he played poorly. I am just not on his jock strap like you guys are.

So you admit you're full of crap? You post he had bad throws, but when somebody asks you to admit them... "you don't have a perfect memory" and can't list them.. oookay :vincepalm:

Hey buddy, why weren't you posting about every bad throw Schaub was making? like when he was throwing to the other team? Do you have a good enough memory to remember those passes?

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:34 PM
For somebody who's making his first start.. you bet your happy ass he played great

As far as criticism goes (which you and others fail to direct at Schaub).. turn on your radio, the entire city is praising Keenum right now. Keenum played better than expected, anyone who still wants to ***** about a couple of plays is someone who is not really a Texans fan and has other rooting interests.

Who the **** are you to say who is and isn't texans fan? ***** about a couple plays pot meet kettle when you ***** about Schaub. Fumbles ended the game

I called Matt's picks bad throws in multiple cases. Not protecting the ball comes into play while throwing it and taking sacks. Excuse the two fumbles all to want but just as Schaub's pick 6 ended the game against the hawks case's fumbles cost us any chance to win

fiasco west
10-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Let's see -

His expected Rookie mistakes weren't even that bad...they included not picking up a blitz...and watching as a 3 man rush destroys his protection...

Unlike all the rookie mistakes we've seen Schaub make recently...

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:36 PM
the two fumbles were on kubiak for his idiotic play calling. Kubiak never adjusted to the current situation. Cheifs kept on blitzing yet kubiak never called a draw play, a screen, or short routes that allow you to beat the blitz.

Keenum never had a chance. He was indirectly sabotaged by his own coach's lack of strategical competence.

Failing to adjust has always been a Kubiak weakness.

Fumbles on Gary? Come on, tuck the ball and take the sack. That's not on gary

gtexan02
10-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Let's see -

Sure sounds like a lot of excuses.
I'm done making excuses for our players. Schaub sucks and we know it. Case has potential but it's going to take at least 4 games for me to get a feel for his potential.

Today he did great for the majority of the game and had a few terrible plays -- including two very costly sack fumbles and some really bad 3rd downs where he held the ball too long. He played ok -- not great.

All that really matters is wins and losses and today we lost. Case did pretty well but why get all bent out shape trying to make a 16 point start look like a 5 td game

ATXtexanfan
10-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Fumbles on Gary? Come on, tuck the ball and take the sack. That's not on gary

I have no clue what game you're watching, but u give you credit. You managed to illustrate beyond a doubt that you know nothing about the game of football.
Ok, there's another possibility. You might actually be Vince young.

Ok so your saying case will see the playoffs ever

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
i guess nobody is gonna talk about the two TD passes dropped in the end zone by Hopkins and the wide open catch missed by graham?

they make those two catches and we win the game.

Keenum did his job. did it well.

This game would have been a blowout if schaub played.

MSR

gtexan02
i guess nobody is gonna talk about the two TD passes dropped in the end zone by Hopkins and the wide open catch missed by graham?

they make those two catches and we win the game.

Keenum did his job. did it well.

This game would have been a blowout if schaub played.

The Hopkins pass should have been back shoulder. That was a very difficult ball placement

Carr Bombed
Who the **** are you to say who is and isn't texans fan? ***** about a couple plays pot meet kettle when you ***** about Schaub. Fumbles ended the game

I called Matt's picks bad throws in multiple cases. Not protecting the ball comes into play while throwing it and taking sacks. Excuse the two fumbles all to want but just as Schaub's pick 6 ended the game against the hawks case's fumbles cost us any chance to win

LOL, list them..

Scooter
10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
the biggest problem we had today was no time to prepare keenum. we spent the entire game in the pistol and shotgun to make him comfortable which hurt our run game, and didnt afford us many opportunities to adjust based on what we needed to do. it was remarkable how well keenum played in such a confined setting with no run game, limited playcalls, and horrid blocking.

give kubiak and keenum the bye to gameplan and prepare, and the offense moves much more efficiently.

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok so your saying case will see the playoffs ever

Wtf are you talking about?

rmartin65
So you admit you're full of crap? You post he had bad throws, but when somebody asks you to admit them... "you don't have a perfect memory" and can't list them.. oookay :vincepalm:

Hey buddy, why weren't you posting about every bad throw Schaub was making? like when he was throwing to the other team? Do you have a good enough memory to remember those passes?

Did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

Guess what champ- I have a life. I am often doing homework during games, and today was no exception. As such, I sometimes miss things, but I do get a general sense about how players play.

I posted the missed TD. Another one that sticks out was the floater in the 4th quarter that could have been picked off, but was complete for a two yard gain. He threw a couple balls in the dirt.

As far as good throws, he made a couple. That TD was a thing of beauty. The one to Graham along the sidelines was nice as well. But a lot of his completions were easy throws. Short, one or two reads. Slants or buttonhooks.

As for Schaub- I never had to post anything, because what I wanted to say was being said. He sucked, plain and simple.

2012Champs
The Hopkins pass should have been back shoulder. That was a very difficult ball placement

It was not a good throw

ATXtexanfan
10-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Keenum played great especially considering how bad our offensive line is and practically having only 1 active running back.

Lol great way to lose. Ask peyton about his invincible line

gtexan02
10-20-2013, 07:43 PM
It was not a good throw

Yes that's what I was saying. Putting that on Hopkins is stupid -- that would have been an insanely impressive catch.

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 07:43 PM

To be fair, we still had pretty much the same issues on offense save for the pick 6's.

His stat line looks nice b/c we moved the ball well in between the 20's...like schaub's did.

we stalled in the red zone the 1 time we got in there....like we did with schaub

the o-line still sucks and caused problems for our qb in pass pro.......like it did with schaub

Gary didnt really make adjustments to help the qb out when he saw they were pinning their ears back...like he did with schaub.

I think he needs to start for the rest of the season...but i am by no means convinced we still dont need to pick up a qb early in the draft just yet....maybe we can push it back to the 2nd round.....

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

Guess what champ- I have a life. I am often doing homework during games, and today was no exception. As such, I sometimes miss things, but I do get a general sense about how players play.

I posted the missed TD. Another one that sticks out was the floater in the 4th quarter that could have been picked off, but was complete for a two yard gain. He threw a couple balls in the dirt.

As far as good throws, he made a couple. That TD was a thing of beauty. The one to Graham along the sidelines was nice as well. But a lot of his completions were easy throws. Short, one or two reads. Slants or buttonhooks.

As for Schaub- I never had to post anything, because what I wanted to say was being said. He sucked, plain and simple.

If you think "He sucked, plain and simple" then you need to put down your "homework" and actually tune into the game once in awhile.. You don't even have to take my opinion... turn on the radio buddy.

BTW.. Kubiak just said he was "impressed with Keenum's play and if we play like we did today, we'll win a lot of games".. for once, I agree with him.

ArTex
10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Keenum played well considering CIRCUMSTANCE and EXPECTATIONS.

Same was said of TJ Yates 2 years ago too. I tend to think Keenum's "played-well" is a tiny touch better than Yates's played-well.

Andrew Luck NUMBER ONE pick last year wasnt much better than Keenum today actually. Showed flashes, had LOTS of TURNOVERs.

It just takes a little while for a Qb to adjust. Its on the coaches to see if Keenum gets more chances to see what he can do

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
LOL, list them..

Waste your time and use the search function. I posted it given enough of your time you will find the posts

rmartin65
10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
If you think "He sucked, plain and simple" then you need to put down your "homework" and actually tune into the game once in awhile.. You don't even have to take my opinion... turn on the radio buddy.

BTW.. Kubiak just said he was "impressed with Keenum's play"

So you don't think Schaub sucked?

PS- of course Kubiak is going to say that. Kubes is loyal to a fault, and Keenum is his guy now.

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 07:59 PM

BTW.. Kubiak just said he was "impressed with Keenum's play and if we play like we did today, we'll win a lot of games".. for once, I agree with him.

Case didn't suck, far from it I just wouldn't call it great

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 08:00 PM
So you don't think Schaub sucked?

PS- of course Kubiak is going to say that. Kubes is loyal to a fault, and Keenum is his guy now.

I'm confused.. If Kubiak was "loyal to a fault", Keenum wouldn't be his guy now.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Waste your time and use the search function. I posted it given enough of your time you will find the posts

I already used the search feature before I made that post.. which is why I asked you to list the "multiple" times you questioned his throws.

rmartin65
10-20-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm confused.. If Kubiak was "loyal to a fault", Keenum wouldn't be his guy now.

Are you looking for arguments now? He stuck with Schaub too long. Then Yates threw a pick 6 and was all-around unimpressive. Fans are clamoring for him to be fired, and he took a chance.

Loyal to a fault- Coach Joe? the DCs prior to Wade? Walter? The list could go on, but I think you get the picture. What's more, I actually think you agree with me on this point, but are just looking for an argument.

hradhak
10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Keenum played well enough to earn another start against the Colts. I think he had a lot of mistakes. He also made a lot of plays. There were several plays that he made where Schaub would have thrown it away or taken the sack.

I don't know what Kubiak will do, he created this controversy. That said, I hope he puts Keenum back in there and not after Schaub throws another pick 6. Case needs the time to prepare.

2slik4u
10-20-2013, 08:05 PM
For anyone to say that Case has not proven he is the man for the next start is being ridiculous. The kid showed more poise AND scoots than Schaub had shown in six years. I was at arrowhead today and the place was loud. He showed no "rattle" and controlled the offense that Kubiak called. He made plays that Schaub not only has never made but does not have the ability to make.

I'm not crowning him as the next Brady but he is the best QB on the roster currently and proved to me that he deserves the next start regardless of the health of Schaub. I think he MAY have a future as the next Texans QB but am not completely all in just yet. I just know if we want to start grooming him for us, it starts now.

The kid played a hell of a game in the toughest place to play in the NFL and did it convincingly. The strip/sack at the end of the game was his biggest flaw in the game which half of that belongs to the O-line. He threw no picks, no passes that were dangerous and moved in the pocket fantastic.

I'm on the Keenum bandwagon and he has my support starting today.

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 08:08 PM
it was a good enough throw for hopkins to have both hands on it. If the wideout got both hands on it, he should have come down with the catch. You have to make a play there for your QB. He got it out and to you with both of your hands. Plenty of talk about hopkins and his huge hands and playmaking ability.

That pass was not perfect but it was good enough to complete the play. Credit the defender for swiping at it at the end.

Hopkins made just about as good a play on it as he could've considering where it was thrown...he just couldn't hold on to it b/c the The cb knocked it out of his hands...if that throw is back shoulder the cb has no play on it and its an easy TD....im sure case knows he could've placed it better.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 08:11 PM
For anyone to say that Case has not proven he is the man for the next start is being ridiculous. The kid showed more poise AND scoots than Schaub had shown in six years. I was at arrowhead today and the place was loud. He showed no "rattle" and controlled the offense that Kubiak called. He made plays that Schaub not only has never made but does not have the ability to make.

I'm not crowning him as the next Brady but he is the best QB on the roster currently and proved to me that he deserves the next start regardless of the health of Schaub. I think he MAY have a future as the next Texans QB but am not completely all in just yet. I just know if we want to start grooming him for us, it starts now.

The kid played a hell of a game in the toughest place to play in the NFL and did it convincingly. The strip/sack at the end of the game was his biggest flaw in the game which half of that belongs to the O-line. He threw no picks, no passes that were dangerous and moved in the pocket fantastic.

I'm on the Keenum bandwagon and he has my support starting today.

My in-laws live in Kansas.. even they called me after the game and praised Keenum..

He played great and I look forward to see his growth and what he can do in the future.

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I already used the search feature before I made that post.. which is why I asked you to list the "multiple" times you questioned his throws.

You didn't look hard enough

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 08:17 PM
You didn't look hard enough

whatever you say.. all I'm seeing is words, not you posting multiple times where you called out Schaub's horrible throws.

thunderkyss
10-20-2013, 08:18 PM

I don't know if took 1 qtr or 2... but I'd be surprised if Schaub ever starts for the Texans again.

But... for the next two weeks I'll be telling everyone that Matt will start after the bye if he's healthy. I'd tell Schaub he's my guy if he's healthy, but we're going to be extra cautious with his ankle/leg thing. I continue pushing Keenum as the starter in practice.

When asked, I'm telling them Matt's doing well, he's likely to start, he could have practiced, but we're "going to be smart"

For two weeks. Then day of the game, Schaub is going on IR.

I say this as a guy that thinks Keenum was pretty good in his first game. But he didn't light it up like I would have liked to have seen to name him the starter. I say this, knowing I did not get the spark I was looking for from my running game, or my defense that I was hoping he would provide. I say this knowing that I said the one thing he could not do was fumble the ball when he gets sacked... that one in particular was no different than the Matt Schaub pick 6 at the end of the Raven's game in OT a couple of years ago.

But on that third & three play that turned into the DeAndre Hopkins TD.... I think Kubiak has already made up his mind. I'm not going to say that the play book was more expansive than with Schaub like they're saying on the radio, but the strategy has definitely changed for the better. Kubiak hasn't taken that risk with Schaub in a long time, not that I can remember..... I could very well be wrong, but I know I was not expecting a shot into the end zone in that situation.

& people might not like it, but I'll say it. Schaub is the better QB right now, it's not even close. But Case gives you a better chance to win... & it's not even close.

I think Keenum earned the right to prove he can be a starter, but he's not a legit starter. Keep in mind, I don't think Kaepernick, Luck, Weeden, or Sanchez are starters either.

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 08:19 PM
whatever you say.. all I'm seeing is words, not you posting multiple times where you called out Schaub's horrible throws.

I'm pretty sure I know what I've posted and that you spent no looking for it.

YeaLikeRightNow
10-20-2013, 08:20 PM
My in-laws live in Kansas.. even they called me after the game and praised Keenum..

He played great and I look forward to see his growth and what he can do in the future.

The quarterback of the Texans future played today. :fans:

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't know if took 1 qtr or 2... but I'd be surprised if Schaub ever starts for the Texans again.

But... for the next two weeks I'll be telling everyone that Matt will start after the bye if he's healthy. I'd tell Schaub he's my guy if he's healthy, but we're going to be extra cautious with his ankle/leg thing. I continue pushing Keenum as the starter in practice.

When asked, I'm telling them Matt's doing well, he's likely to start, he could have practiced, but we're "going to be smart"

I say this as a guy that thinks Keenum was pretty good in his first game. But he didn't light it up like I would have liked to have seen to name him the starter. I say this, knowing I did not get the spark I was looking for from my running game, or my defense that I was hoping he would provide. I say this knowing that I said the one thing he could not do was fumble the ball when he gets sacked... that one in particular was no different than the Matt Schaub pick 6 at the end of the Raven's game in OT a couple of years ago.

But on that third & three play that turned into the DeAndre Hopkins TD.... I think Kubiak has already made up his mind. I'm not going to say that the play book was more expansive than with Schaub like they're saying on the radio, but the strategy has definitely changed for the better. Kubiak hasn't taken that risk with Schaub in a long time, not that I can remember..... I could very well be wrong, but I know I was not expecting a shot into the end zone in that situation.

& people might not like it, but I'll say it. Schaub is the better QB right now, it's not even close. But Case gives you a better chance to win... & it's not even close.

I think Keenum earned the right to prove he can be a starter, but he's not a legit starter. Keep in mind, I don't think Kaepernick, Luck, Weeden, or Sanchez are starters either.

Damn TK....you may have out done yourself with this one.....:wadepalm:

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
The quarterback of the Texans future played today. :fans:

Let's put it this way.. the "in-laws" who have watched their team now go 0-7 told me they would straight up trade Alex Smith for Case Keenum who just made his first start. :wadepalm:

So for all of those who think we're "just biased or just want to root for the hometown kid".. other people are now seeing the writing on the wall regarding H town's QB situation and are also recognizing Keenum's talent.

fiasco west
10-20-2013, 08:26 PM

You're going to lose a lot of people with that one.

If Luck isn't a starting QB in the NFL then I don't know what is. I think he gets a lot of hype because he came into the NFL with tons of hype and I don't think he even compares to the elite QBs like Brees, Manning, Rogers, Brady...but he's knocking on that door.

I'm not sure what else a rookie QB with his first start against a elite defense on the road in a historically loud crowd and no HB for half of the game is really supposed to do.

Vance87
10-20-2013, 08:30 PM

http://www.kianleong.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/f8446_a_jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Porky
10-20-2013, 09:08 PM

I'll say this about you. You consistently have some of the strangest, most off the wall takes of anyone I have ever seen. TIFWIW. :kitten:

Rey
10-20-2013, 09:08 PM
http://bhaavipatel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/why-do-dogs-chase-their-tails.jpeg

Sums it up well.

I can't take those posts on this topic seriously anymore.

houstonspartan
10-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I'll say this about you. You consistently have some of the strangest, most off the wall takes of anyone I have ever seen. TIFWIW. :kitten:

Lol. Thunder doesn't believe half the stuff he says; he tosses things out there just to get a response out of people. You have to learn to read what he says, and ignore most of it.

silvrhand
10-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I just looked at the stats..

- The entire second half we didn't convert a single 3rd down conversion.
- Every 3rd down conversion in the second half, Keenum had the ball in his hands.
- We made 0 adjustments in the second half, and go out coached again, shocker.

He *has* to be better on 3rd down this has killed us for the last couple years and it still is..

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331020012&period=3
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331020012&period=4

Drives in the second half:

15:00 3 02:46 HOU 20 5 9 Punt
11:31 3 02:07 KAN 28 5 25 Field Goal
06:07 3 01:46 HOU 20 5 51 Field Goal
13:43 4 02:00 HOU 1 5 30 Punt
09:37 4 02:12 HOU 41 3 -18 Punt
05:47 4 01:43 HOU 22 3 -4 Punt
01:46 4 00:12 HOU 10 2 -9 Fumble

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 09:35 PM
I just looked at the stats..

- The entire second half we didn't convert a single 3rd down conversion.
- Every 3rd down conversion in the second half, Keenum had the ball in his hands.
- We made 0 adjustments in the second half, and go out coached again, shocker.

He *has* to be better on 3rd down this has killed us for the last couple years and it still is..

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331020012&period=3
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331020012&period=4

Drives in the second half:

15:00 3 02:46 HOU 20 5 9 Punt
11:31 3 02:07 KAN 28 5 25 Field Goal
06:07 3 01:46 HOU 20 5 51 Field Goal
13:43 4 02:00 HOU 1 5 30 Punt
09:37 4 02:12 HOU 41 3 -18 Punt
05:47 4 01:43 HOU 22 3 -4 Punt
01:46 4 00:12 HOU 10 2 -9 Fumble

He was fantastic on that down when he had a running threat..

I never even knew we only activate 2 running backs until today (go figure). Out of any position, that is the one position where I'd make sure I had "backup". On any given tackle you could be out for the year.

guichows6
10-20-2013, 09:57 PM

:thinking::headhurts:

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 10:00 PM
LOL, even the chiefs' CBs are praising Case Keenum. The haters are just that.. haters, we're looking at the next starting QB of the Houston Texans.

JCTexan
10-20-2013, 10:12 PM

The things you listed were not huge mistakes (imo). On the floater to Graham, Keenum had pressure in his face and he threw that ball off his back foot. Graham was wide open on that play, Keenum just has to put more zip on it.

The only time I recall he threw the ball in the dirt was the WR screen to Posey. That play was completely broken. KC read it perfectly and had it been completed it would have gone for -2 yards. The KC defense also had three defenders in the backfield so Keenum didn't have time to find another WR to throw the ball to. I think the smart play is to throw the ball into the dirt there.

Overall I think Keenum did an excellent job considering it was his first start. He made some mistakes and he has to learn to read the blitz better but I think he did good enough to get the start against the Colts and I will be a little disappointed if he doesn't.

gwallaia
10-20-2013, 10:12 PM
After reading so much criticism of Case, I have to ask, why is it a bad thing for Case to be successful?

waynegg
10-20-2013, 10:20 PM
He made some bad throws.

Nope.

Rey
10-20-2013, 10:22 PM
After reading so much criticism of Case, I have to ask, why is it a bad thing for Case to be successful?

Because then people can't say I told you so.

So much hesitancy to say all things considered he played well, but the first big mistake the keenum haters going to be all over the place. I promise that the first pick he throws people will be all over him.

It's illogical. Schaub has done nothing for almost a year to make someone believe he can qb a team to a superbowl. Keenum shows all kinds of promise I'm his first start against a really good d on the road in the loudest stadium in the nfl, with no running game...spreading the wealth amongst receivers...going down field...

But people are downplaying it and talking about starting Schaub. It's illogical and silly. Makes 0 sense. I don't take a lot of people serious on certain topics because they just have some bias for some reason. I have a lot more respect for folks that stand up and say I could be wrong or I was wrong.

I can even be ok with people that just say nothing.

But to come out and speak out against what the guy did today is just silly.

waynegg
10-20-2013, 10:24 PM

The missed TD I can see, but it was still better than ANYTHING schaub has thrown in a full year. Mediocre, but not horrible. That "floater" was a tipped pass. Not the same thing.

leebigeztx
10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Case played ok. He wasn't great nor bad,just ok. Very good throw on the td and a couple of slants. Has some bad throws on some of those same routes.

legacy_gt
10-20-2013, 10:27 PM
keenum played amazing for his 1st start against an elite chiefs team at home.

the key is to make adjustments (against blitzs etc)

we win this game with a healthy foster.

legacy_gt
10-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Case played ok.

andy reid, john mclain, kubiak, and a bunch of chief fans disagree....

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Case played ok. He wasn't great nor bad,just ok. Very good throw on the td and a couple of slants. Has some bad throws on some of those same routes.

You still think he doesn't have enough arm?

Rey
10-20-2013, 10:38 PM

I actually respect your takes. I don't know your background but I can tell that you actually know football.

Don't agree with all your takes of course....but you are being biased here as well because of your prior proclamations.

For his first start to go along with everything else that came with it, he showed very well. It was not ok. It was a very good showing for him.

Does he have some things to work on? Heck yes. Is it guaranteed he gets the kinks out? No.

But this was a very good first game for him.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 10:51 PM
I actually respect your takes. I don't know your background but I can tell that you actually know football.

Don't agree with all your takes of course....but you are being biased here as well because of your prior proclamations.

For his first start to go along with everything else that came with it, he showed very well. It was not ok. It was a very good showing for him.

Does he have some things to work on? Heck yes. Is it guaranteed he gets the kinks out? No.

But this was a very good first game for him.

It was a great showing.. and before the haters try to pile on.. those words came from our future HOF WR (As well as teammates and coaches).. Andre called his play "great" and it was great. What he displayed in his first NFL start was nothing short of "great"

The haters need to hit the brakes and step aside and be open to the new era of football. Case looked like a great player against the best defense in the league.. imagine what he'll do to other people..

leebigeztx
10-20-2013, 11:37 PM
You still think he doesn't have enough arm?

Yeah. Did u see anything to prove otherwise? The routes were the same as with the other qb. That td was a great touch pass.Without being too critical, the field position,down and distance was a good time to shoot his gun.

eriadoc
10-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah. Did u see anything to prove otherwise?

First long pass of the game, incomplete to Graham. Across the width of the field, not having his feet set, and 44 yards int he air. That's what we call an NFL arm, kiddos.

thunderkyss
10-20-2013, 11:45 PM
I think he needs to start for the rest of the season...but i am by no means convinced we still dont need to pick up a qb early in the draft just yet....maybe we can push it back to the 2nd round.....

I don't necessarily think we should draft a QB in the first, never did. It depends on who's there & who will be there later. I said last year that our #1 pick should be a WR. With the way Tavon Austin & Corderrelle Patterson are looking, I'm glad they took Hopkins.

But that second round pick. I thought it would be nice to get a safety, since we play 3 safeties so often, but I thought we'd take this offense to another level if we'd have drafted a tackle in that second round.

Then again I wasn't too upset when we took Brennan Williams in the third.

What could have been, eh?

leebigeztx
10-20-2013, 11:52 PM
First long pass of the game, incomplete to Graham. Across the width of the field, not having his feet set, and 44 yards int he air. That's what we call an NFL arm, kiddos.

The td was 30yds. The graham pass was a floater. The hopkins drag rt from left to right hung and was behind. Didn't se any "stick" throws especially to the zones I knew he'd struggle.

hot pickle
10-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I thought Keenum looked good out there. good field presence. Although I would like to see him go the rest of the year before I have an opinion on whether he is a NFL starter or not

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah. Did u see anything to prove otherwise? The routes were the same as with the other qb. That td was a great touch pass.Without being too critical, the field position,down and distance was a good time to shoot his gun.

Yep, I saw plenty of arm.. regardless of what you happened to see in camp.

TexansSeminole
10-20-2013, 11:56 PM
The fanboys are out in full force, of course.

Keenum played better than Schaub has. He had an ok game. The guy can definitely throw but his recognition at the line leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he can improve on that.

It's almost as if you fanboys don't watch other NFL games. Simply comparing Keenum to Schaub is setting the bar extremely low.

DocBar
10-20-2013, 11:57 PM
He was fantastic on that down when he had a running threat..

I never even knew we only activate 2 running backs until today (go figure). Out of any position, that is the one position where I'd make sure I had "backup". On any given tackle you could be out for the year.Other than the fumble at the end, only 2 3 and outs. Case made some decent plays but the Chiefs knew we were one dimensional at that point and just plain pinned their ears back and killed a porous offensive line.

htownfan32
10-21-2013, 12:03 AM
I was impressed. Keep in mind it was in Arrowhead against the Chiefs D. He needs to improve on some things, obviously... but the thing is that he can improve, as compared to Schaub who's already hit his ceiling.

By all accounts Keenum seems like a hard worker and eager learner and he will learn what Kubes teaches him about dealing with overload blitzes and recognition at the line.

cdollaz
10-21-2013, 12:04 AM
The idea that we can declare Case the QB of the future, or declare that he is a legitimate starting QB in the NFL, is nonsense. NFL history is full of QBs that have started out gangbusters and then come back down to Earth and then quickly been out of the league.

However, considering our record, the trajectory of our season, and what he showed today, there is no doubt he should be starting the rest of the season to prove that he is a starting QB, or to crash and burn so we can move on. Going back to Schaub would be pointless, and going to Yates would be stupid.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 12:08 AM

Keenum played better than Schaub has. He had an ok game. The guy can definitely throw but his recognition at the line leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he can improve on that.

It's almost as if you fanboys don't watch other NFL games. Simply comparing Keenum to Schaub is setting the bar extremely low.

:wadepalm: this is becoming comical

eriadoc
10-21-2013, 12:09 AM
The td was 30yds. The graham pass was a floater. The hopkins drag rt from left to right hung and was behind. Didn't se any "stick" throws especially to the zones I knew he'd struggle.

Didn't comment on the play I mentioned, I see. How about the 40-something yarder to AJ after the backfield scramble? Amateur arm, right? Unlike Rey, I do not see any football acumen in your posts. I see someone who has no clue and seems to be pushing an agenda.

The guy can definitely throw but his recognition at the line leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he can improve on that.

He will. There are lots of legitimate concerns about Keenum going forward, but arm strength isn't one of them.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 12:12 AM
:wadepalm: this is becoming comical

Whatever you say bud.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Whatever you say bud.

Texan fans aren't "fanboys" bud..

DocBar
10-21-2013, 12:17 AM

It's almost as if you fanboys don't watch other NFL games. Simply comparing Keenum to Schaub is setting the bar extremely low.Agreed that Case needs to improve on reading blitzes and hitting the hot receiver. Agreed that Case played better than Schaub has. Agreed that Case can definitely throw.

Why the fan boy comment? Just because someone states that Case is better than Schaub does not make someone a fan boy. It's more like stating the obvious. Maybe you should be more of a fan boy.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2013, 12:18 AM

How many games had Keenum played in before, since his line recognition "leaves something to be desired". Haters around here acting like he is a five year vet or something and not playing in his first game ever.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Agreed that Case needs to improve on reading blitzes and hitting the hot receiver. Agreed that Case played better than Schaub has. Agreed that Case can definitely throw.

Why the fan boy comment? Just because someone states that Case is better than Schaub does not make someone a fan boy. It's more like stating the obvious. Maybe you should be more of a fan boy.

There were 7 threads about Case Keenum before he even played a snap. 2 more, atleast, got deleted or locked. People put their faith in him and are now personally invested in his play. Just look at the title of this thread. You've got people blaming the coach, of course, for Keenum's mistakes. It's funny.

That's why I put the fanboy comment in. Because it's necessary to keep all this in perspective.

How many games had Keenum played in before, since his line recognition "leaves something to be desired". Haters around here acting like he is a five year vet or something and not playing in his first game ever.

What does that have to do with how he played today? The question is how did he play today? He played ok. Understand what we are talking about, please.

MEGA SWATT
10-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Case played awesome for his first NFL start. The game did not get too big for him - he looked like he has that"it" factor. Great mobility, arm strength, accuracy, quick release all on the road against an undefeated monster defense.

Imagine what happens when he has a running game, better o line play and improves against the blitz. I know that the more games he plays the more opposing teams can learn to rattle him but great first game

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
There were 7 threads about Case Keenum before he even played a snap. 2 more, at least, got deleted or locked. People put their faith in him and are now personally invested in his play. Just look at the title of this thread. You've got people blaming the coach, of course, for Keenum's mistakes. It's funny.

That's why I put the fanboy comment in. Because it's necessary to keep all this in perspective.

What does that have to do with how he played today? The question is how did he play today? He played ok. Understand what we are talking about, please.

So let me get this straight.. you put in the fanboy comment, because people "were blaming the coach" (lets ignore the fact that the OP.. me, stuck up for the coach) and you're trying to keep things in "perspective"... I call shenanigans on that.

I have never seen "fanboys" hate on a QB like they have here, it's almost like they have a rooting interest for him to fail, just to be "right'.

Now do I believe this? no, but I'm almost there.. it's getting ridiculous.

DocBar
10-21-2013, 12:36 AM
There were 7 threads about Case Keenum before he even played a snap. 2 more, atleast, got deleted or locked. People put their faith in him and are now personally invested in his play. Just look at the title of this thread. You've got people blaming the coach, of course, for Keenum's mistakes. It's funny.

What does that have to do with how he played today? The question is how did he play today? He played ok. Understand what we are talking about, please.People put their faith in him because of what he displayed in PS. Kubiak deserves a lot of the blame he's getting. He's made some bone-headed, man crush decisions. A lot of the criticism of Kubiak is not constrained to 2013 only. A lot of the people ******ing about hom have been ******ing about him for years.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 12:37 AM
So let me get this straight.. you put in the fanboy comment, because people were blaming the coach and you're trying to keep things in "perspective"... I call shenanigans on that.

I have never seen "fanboys" hate on a QB like they have here, it's almost like they have a rooting interest for him to fail.

Now do I believe this? no, but I'm almost there..

Who's rooting for him to fail? Just because people have the opinion that he didn't play great today?

The fantasy land of TexansTalk is maddening at times.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Who's rooting for him to fail? Just because people have the opinion that he didn't play great today?

The fantasy land of TexansTalk is maddening at times.

Which has nothing to do with calling people who thinks he played great "fanboys". :rolleyes:

You can think he played like crap (you'd be in the minority BTW and would be disagreeing with the majority of your team's lockeroom) without questioning where people's loyalties lie.

I'm not a UofH fan.. don't really give a crap about their football prog.

I'm not a Case Keenum homer

I'm not a "fanboy"

I'm a Texans' fan who recognizes (like other people/players do) that Keenum gives us our best chance to win and is our best current option.

eriadoc
10-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Who's rooting for him to fail?

Seems like about a half dozen of you currently. Hardly a large number.

qqert
10-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm a Texans' fan who recognizes (like other people/players do) that Keenum gives us our best chance to win and is our best current option.

exactly!

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2013, 01:07 AM

Because you act like he should be playing like a vet. the mistakes he made at the line should be expected IN HIS FIRST GAME. Seriously, think here....

76Texan
10-21-2013, 01:12 AM

After rewatching the games a couple of times, including a lot of freezed frames, pauses, rewinds and a lot of checking out the defenses called, what the QB should see, my conclusion is that Keenum played even better than I originally thought.
I will come back to play by play when I have time; I also like to wait for the All-22 angles to confirm a few things.
At the very least, Keenum more than carried his weight, even disregarding the fact that it was his first start, in one of the most hostile environment, against a great or at least very good defense.

With Schaub, it would have been a blow out; same goes with Yates.
Keenum played well enough to win the game.

He recognized the blitzes, including the overload just fine.
His decisions were very sound.
I will come back to this also.

He's going to have the chance to start more games for the Texans; I'm quite confident of that.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 01:16 AM

Maybe we should start a poll to find out who this half dozen is. I don't remember seeing anyone hoping for Keenum to fail.

leebigeztx
10-21-2013, 01:32 AM
After rewatching the games a couple of times, including a lot of freezed frames, pauses, rewinds and a lot of checking out the defenses called, what the QB should see, my conclusion is that Keenum played even better than I originally thought.
I will come back to play by play when I have time; I also like to wait for the All-22 angles to confirm a few things.
At the very least, Keenum more than carried his weight, even disregarding the fact that it was his first start, in one of the most hostile environment, against a great or at least very good defense.

With Schaub, it would have been a blow out; same goes with Yates.
Keenum played well enough to win the game.

He recognized the blitzes, including the overload just fine.
His decisions were very sound.
I will come back to this also.

He's going to have the chance to start more games for the Texans; I'm quite confident of that.

I don't think he played bad nor well. Case was a neutral player today. He wasn't why they lost,but he didn't do enough to help the team win. He made some throws that were completitions that were poor throws. I expect it from a yound player.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Maybe we should start a poll to find out who this half dozen is. I don't remember seeing anyone hoping for Keenum to fail.

Nobody has made a post saying "I hope he fails", but you can tell who has a rooting interest.. Nitrofish for one. He probably would lead that poll.

infantrycak
10-21-2013, 02:19 AM
He made some throws that were completitions that were poor throws. I expect it from a yound player.

If you watch any football at all you should expect it from every single QB every single game. You're trying too hard.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-21-2013, 03:22 AM
I don't think he played bad nor well. Case was a neutral player today. He wasn't why they lost,but he didn't do enough to help the team win. He made some throws that were completitions that were poor throws. I expect it from a yound player.

You're out of your mind or didn't watch the game if you think Keenum didn't play well given the circumstances. Once Tate got hurt we had zero threat of a running game which allowed the defense to pin it's ears back the rest of the way. The offensive line got it's tail whipped from that point on hence why we gave up 5 sacks in the 2nd half.

EllisUnit
10-21-2013, 03:25 AM

Lets not forget the potential TD to G. Graham that was dropped along with the pass to Hopkins in the endzone that he dropped and then we settled for 3. He made the plays on those the guy catching the ball just didnt do his part.

leebigeztx
10-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Lets not forget the potential TD to G. Graham that was dropped along with the pass to Hopkins in the endzone that he dropped and then we settled for 3. He made the plays on those the guy catching the ball just didnt do his part.

The graham and hopkins plays were very,very difficults plays to make. I don't think you can count those unless u count the andre slant that was behind him and he snatched it away or the crossing route to hopkins in which he did the same thing. As I said,he played ok,not bad,not great. As bad as oakland was last week,that was a tie game late in the 4th. The chiefs are gonna keep you in the game because alex smith is the qb. A much tougher test is when you have to keep up the pace with a great qb. They got indy coming up post bye and we will see more from case.

EllisUnit
10-21-2013, 06:04 AM
The graham and hopkins plays were very,very difficults plays to make. I don't think you can count those unless u count the andre slant that was behind him and he snatched it away or the crossing route to hopkins in which he did the same thing. As I said,he played ok,not bad,not great. As bad as oakland was last week,that was a tie game late in the 4th. The chiefs are gonna keep you in the game because alex smith is the qb. A much tougher test is when you have to keep up the pace with a great qb. They got indy coming up post bye and we will see more from case.

Well in a normal game we wouldnt have zero healthy RBs. Lets not act like Case had alot of weapons yesterday. Pretty much only proven play maker he had yesterday was AJ.

O.D is out
Foster got hurt
Tate was banged up

Hell not having foster in there is bad enough, but then minus the threat of any kind of run and people can say what they want but the kid still played better than a lot of people would in that situation. Not to mention Play action is 100% gone at that point.

rmartin65
10-21-2013, 06:23 AM

I want names.

Rey
10-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Who exactly should he be compared to?

Were there any other qb's making their first start under similar conditions as case this weekend?

I don't know what you guys' are looking at or expect. Keenum played very well.

Rey
10-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Nobody has made a post saying "I hope he fails", but you can tell who has a rooting interest.. Nitrofish for one. He probably would lead that poll.

If your comments have been mostly negative or trying to downplay what case did, that is who is rooting for failure. It's unwarranted. You font have to anoint case as anything, but if this were our third round pick from last year from michigan state, I think some people would be less critical of his play. He showed all kinds of promise and potential yesterday. We know he wasn't perfect, but it's no coincidence that most (not all) of the same people that "knew" he'd suck are now downplaying what he did yesterday.

Thorn
10-21-2013, 07:31 AM
meh....no pick 6s, so in my mind, that's a good enough improvement to stay on the job.

10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Look, I have no biases towards Keenum whatsoever. I haven't lived in Houston in over 14 years, and my alma mater, UCF, is a rival of U of H's. That being said, it was crystal clear to me that he showed me a lot more ability than any other QB on our roster has.The most impressive part of it all is that IT WAS HIS FIRST EVER NFL GAME against one of the league's top defenses in one of the hardest venues to play in in the NFL.

The only future I'm concerned about is the rest of this season, and it's pretty damn obvious Case is the best QB we have, even after just one game... so if Kubiak has any sense, he'll leave him in. As for after this season? That's to be determined.

Porky
10-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Why not just come out and tell us what your agenda is? Is it that you keep saying Case doesn't have an NFL arm?

While he was far from perfect, the Texans had 6 plays of 25 yards yesterday. How many of those had we seen prior to yesterday?

I'm grading on a bit of a curve, but considering he is a UDFA in his first real action, had no Arian, a hobbled Tate, virtually no running game, a porous line, on the road in the loudest stadium against the number 1 D in the league..with Boobiak calling the plays, he did more than ok. Anyone with two eyes can at least acknowledge that. Is he "the Answer?". Totally different question and I don't think we can possibly know that now.

But grow up and quit trying to push some agenda that nobody cares about. Own up to your mistake and quit with the BS.

Double Barrel
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
I was impressed with Keenum and he played better than I even hoped he would.

No interceptions. Made things happen when the pocket collapsed, which seemed to be almost every play. And he made some throws that begged to be seen multiple times with the DVR. You could tell his receivers were having fun, too.

yeah, he didn't pick up all the blitzes, but you have to think our RT could at least slow guys down. Spencer Tillman broke some plays down last night and Newton looks pathetic out there. Dude can't even get in the the way of some of those pass rushes. He was getting manhandled and needs to find a job outside of football.

But back to Case. Dude is composed, which is something we have not seen in our QBs for awhile. yeah, he's got a lot to learn, but that's just Captain Obvious stuff about a young QB. Dude was playing in a hostile stadium against a great defense and still looked good out there. The Chiefs D have made QBs look bad this season, but Case was not one of them.

Anyone criticizing him for making inexperience mistakes is just looking for stuff to bag on him about. Yeah, I get critical analysis, but some of the criticism is borderline goofy based on ignorance (i.e. not knowing what you are seeing).

Keenum is the future. He's got more potential than Yates, and it is clear that Shaub's best years are behind him and he's damaged goods now. Time to move on and see what Case can do for the rest of the year to see if he's a franchise QB or if they need to look in the draft.

Thorn
10-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Keenum is the future. He's got more potential than Yates, and it is clear that Shaub's best years are behind him and he's damaged goods now. Time to move on and see what Case can do for the rest of the year to see if he's a franchise QB or if they need to look in the draft.

This. This. A thousand times THIS. Schaub and TJ aren't going to cut it, and we don't know if Keenum long term will either, but he's the only QB we have that MIGHT do it.

Scooter
10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
we had -1 rushing yards in the second half by anyone not named keenum (his 9 yarder giving us a total of 8 rushing yards). this game should've been in the bag, but with both runningbacks hurt and no other options, we couldnt move the ball and put a target on keenum's chest. i can think of 1 quarterback (brady) who would be a good bet to play well in that situation away and against the best pass rush in the league ... maybe.

keenum is my guy going forward. like i said, we needed time to implement a more complete gameplan and set of plays. without it, we were unable to make any adjustments. this should be a very focused bye week between kubiak and keenum. kubiak saw him in a live fire situation, saw what he did well with and struggled against, and can now put together a bigger playbook with adjusted route design and blocking schemes.

i'm excited to see what happens next.

Rey
10-21-2013, 12:56 PM

No interceptions. Made things happen when the pocket collapsed, which seemed to be almost every play. And he made some throws that begged to be seen multiple times with the DVR. You could tell his receivers were having fun, too.

yeah, he didn't pick up all the blitzes, but you have to think our RT could at least slow guys down. Spencer Tillman broke some plays down last night and Newton looks pathetic out there. Dude can't even get in the the way of some of those pass rushes. He was getting manhandled and needs to find a job outside of football.

But back to Case. Dude is composed, which is something we have not seen in our QBs for awhile. yeah, he's got a lot to learn, but that's just Captain Obvious stuff about a young QB. Dude was playing in a hostile stadium against a great defense and still looked good out there. The Chiefs D have made QBs look bad this season, but Case was not one of them.

Anyone criticizing him for making inexperience mistakes is just looking for stuff to bag on him about. Yeah, I get critical analysis, but some of the criticism is borderline goofy based on ignorance (i.e. not knowing what you are seeing).

Great posts. I'm not even addressing the overly negative stuff about case at this point. It's silly.

The guy earned/deserved a chance to play qb for us.

maddogmrb
10-21-2013, 01:04 PM

If you don't take into consideration all of the circumstances in this game when evaluating how Keenum performed then you don't know 'jack' about football. You just have some silly personal agenda.

maddogmrb
10-21-2013, 01:13 PM
A much tougher test is when you have to keep up the pace with a great qb. They got indy coming up post bye and we will see more from case.

Lee is another one with some silly personal agenda. The statement you make above applies to EVERY QB in the league not named Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Brees. To put that high of expectation on Keenum with all the circumstances of this game shows you also don't know 'jack' about football but just like to run your mouth.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
If Kubiak doesn't pull a Kubiak (starting Schaub after the bye), I'm more than willing to watch how the season plays out with Keenum behind C. I'm not ready to anoint him the future QB of this team yet.

He did some things that Schaub can only dream about, but made his fair share of mistakes. Inexperienced, yes. Fixable, yes. Which is why I'd like to see his progression throughout the remainder of the season. I'll be rooting for his success.

Otherwise, I'm still going into the draft expecting QB to be very high on our board.

In the end, I still think Kubiak screws all of us and rolls Schaub back out there. Unless, of course, McNair lends his thoughts to Gary

maddogmrb
10-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Some passer ratings against KC:

Gabbert : 30.8
Henne: 68.8
Romo: 99.1
Vick: 49.4
Eli: 64.8
Fitzpatrick: 57.7
Terrelle Pryor: 45.7
Case Keenum: 110.6

So, Romo, Vick and Eli had an avg rating of 71.1. Those of you trying to dismiss Case's performance yesterday just have some silly personal agenda and you certainly can't say the rest of the team or coaching propped him up.

maddogmrb
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
The 'code' in the NFL is that a starter doesn't lose his job to injury. If Schaub is healthy, look for him to start against Indy.

I would think he would be on a short leash and they may have to put Keenum in so the offense can hear the plays over all the boos.

stingray
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Some passer ratings against KC:

Gabbert : 30.8
Henne: 68.8
Romo: 99.1
Vick: 49.4
Eli: 64.8
Fitzpatrick: 57.7
Terrelle Pryor: 45.7
Case Keenum: 110.6

So, Romo, Vick and Eli had an avg rating of 71.1. Those of you trying to dismiss Case's performance yesterday just have some silly personal agenda and you certainly can't say the rest of the team or coaching propped him up.

Good stuff. Makes the people who keep saying "Meh, he played ok" look really dumb or having an agenda.

htownfan32
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
There's a lot of dick measuring going on in this thread. The Keenum fanboy band needs to stop gloating after one good game and the detractors need to take a good long look at their evaluations of Keenum.

I was one of the many who had their doubts. Color me impressed after Sunday, and I'm excited to see what happens after the bye, but this whole "we were here first" shtick is getting real old.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 01:44 PM
There's a lot of dick measuring going on in this thread. The Keenum fanboy band needs to stop gloating after one good game and the detractors need to take a good long look at their evaluations of Keenum.

I was one of the many who had their doubts. Color me impressed after Sunday, and I'm excited to see what happens after the bye, but this whole "we were here first" shtick is getting real old.

Nobody is saying "we were here first", we've been piled on and piled on and now since Case didn't "suck" like they who piled on people around here said he would, now they want to be babies who are too prideful to eat their crow, admit they were wrong, and are even going as far as creating up complete B.S. to cover their ***. This has nothing to do with "being first".. it's called get on board and stop going out of your way posting nonsense just to hate in a attempt to save face and be "right". It's all about pride and some are unwilling to swallow theirs.

utahmark
10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
I'll fess up and eat some crow. Case did a lot better than I thought he would, not sure how anyone can not see that. Not sure how anyone can proclaim he is the qb of our future either, but I'm starting to like his chances.

76Texan
10-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I'll fess up and eat some crow. Case did a lot better than I thought he would, not sure how anyone can not see that. Not sure how anyone can proclaim he is the qb of our future either, but I'm starting to like his chances.

:bravo:

buddyboy
10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Nobody is saying "we were here first", we've been piled on and piled on and now since Case didn't "suck" like they who piled on people around here said he would, now they want to be babies who are too prideful to eat their crow, admit they were wrong, and are even going as far as creating up complete B.S. to cover their ***. This has nothing to do with "being first".. it's called get on board and stop going out of your way posting nonsense just to hate in a attempt to save face and be "right". It's all about pride and some are unwilling to swallow theirs.

Honestly, both sides of this argument are pulling hyperbolic arguments that neither side made.

One one side we have a group that was ultra-optimistic on Keenum, believing that he would provide a spark and a game-changing presence. They were, of course, supplemented by UH fans (not Texan fans) pumping up Keenum. This leads to the stigma that the Keenum "bandwagon" is already annointing Keenum as the savior of the franchise, something that's not true for 99% on this board.

On the other side, there's a group that doesn't/didnt believe Keenum had "it". It's a fair point of view. They don't think the qb of the future is on this team. They see this game's performance and all the praise heaped on Keenum, but all blame is shifted because he's a young QB. Seems to me that nearly any and all faults of Keenum have slid off like teflon. These fans are now labeled as haters who won't eat crow (regardless of this thread calling for crow-eating being made after ONE quarter [let alone game or even season]).

It all boils down to this: I guarantee you that all Texan fans want what's best for the Texans, try and keep that in mind during this Keenum debate. Goes for both sides of the argument.

htownfan32
10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Honestly, both sides of this argument are pulling hyperbolic arguments that neither side made.

One one side we have a group that was ultra-optimistic on Keenum, believing that he would provide a spark and a game-changing presence. They were, of course, supplemented by UH fans (not Texan fans) pumping up Keenum. This leads to the stigma that the Keenum "bandwagon" is already annointing Keenum as the savior of the franchise, something that's not true for 99% on this board.

On the other side, there's a group that doesn't/didnt believe Keenum had "it". It's a fair point of view. They don't think the qb of the future is on this team. They see this game's performance and all the praise heaped on Keenum, but all blame is shifted because he's a young QB. Seems to me that nearly any and all faults of Keenum have slid off like teflon. These fans are now labeled as haters who won't eat crow (regardless of this thread calling for crow-eating being made after ONE quarter [let alone game or even season]).

It all boils down to this: I guarantee you that all Texan fans want what's best for the Texans, try and keep that in mind during this Keenum debate. Goes for both sides of the argument.

76Texan
10-21-2013, 02:31 PM

:clap::clap:

LOL; I just feel like doing it.

Rey
10-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Couldn't disagree more.

There is an obvious tone to the posts. We are not dumb. Most of the same people that had strong opinions on case not being good are the same people downplaying what he did or even harping on his negatives.

Not being able to say that he played well and looking to focus on all the negatives is a childish trait. It's a mental weakness. You don't have to say he is god to admit the guy had a good first showing and you were wrong that he was going to be a failure in that game.

buddyboy
10-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

There is an obvious tone to the posts. We are not dumb. Most of the same people that had strong opinions on case not being good are the same people downplaying what he did or even harping on his negatives.

Not being able to say that he played well and looking to focus on all the negatives is a childish trait. It's a mental weakness.

So you disagree that the posters you're arguing with want the best for the Texans as a team? That they actually are rooting for the team to fail if Keenum is at the helm? (Although, that's what Keenum fans were doing when Schaub was still healthy).

By the way, another childish trait is "I told you so threads", especially after one game. Sure, none of us want to be wrong; so far, it looks like I was wrong on Case, but before ANYONE eats crow, we need to see more than 1 game (or one quarter, smh)

buddyboy
10-21-2013, 03:22 PM
people have been rooting for schaub to fail even before keenum was on the team.

Smart...then we'd have had Yates at the helm. Thumbs up Texans fans.

2012Champs
10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

Not being able to say that he played well and looking to focus on all the negatives is a childish trait. It's a mental weakness. You don't have to say he is god to admit the guy had a good first showing and you were wrong that he was going to be a failure in that game.

Saying what he did well, pointing out that he did things Schaub couldnt and pointing out his mistakes is far from childish.

robroy72
10-21-2013, 03:28 PM

I'm with him ^^^^

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 03:28 PM

One one side we have a group that was ultra-optimistic on Keenum, believing that he would provide a spark and a game-changing presence. They were, of course, supplemented by UH fans (not Texan fans) pumping up Keenum. This leads to the stigma that the Keenum "bandwagon" is already anointing Keenum as the savior of the franchise, something that's not true for 99% on this board.

On the other side, there's a group that doesn't/didn't believe Keenum had "it". It's a fair point of view. They don't think the QB of the future is on this team. They see this game's performance and all the praise heaped on Keenum, but all blame is shifted because he's a young QB. Seems to me that nearly any and all faults of Keenum have slid off like teflon. These fans are now labeled as haters who won't eat crow (regardless of this thread calling for crow-eating being made after ONE quarter [let alone game or even season]).

The problem with your "both sides of the argument" is even when reading how you broke down each side, it's obvious you favor one.. hence why one side is the side of 1 percenters and the other side "is a fair view" I guarantee you "99% percent" of people here do not agree with what you think 99% of this fan base thinks. Further more.. it's getting redundant to have to keep typing this, but I'M NOT A UofH FAN! and a LOT of people who voiced their opinion have been members of this board for years are also NOT just UofH fans.. their was no "supplementation of uofh fans"

people weren't labeled as haters until it became obvious they were WRONG..

People said he didn't have the arm.. wrong

People said "there's a reason why he was the #3 QB.. wrong

People even said if he played well against the league's best defense, they'd eat their crow.. wrong (which is why this thread is here.. people said they would eat crow, yet only one has shown up)

and nobody is glossing over mistakes made. We see them, the difference is between us and the "haters" is we expect those type of mistakes in a first start against the league's best defense, but we aren't dumb enough to not see the positives. Hell when your 7 year starter is making even worse type of mistakes, mistakes that lead to breaking NFL records, against lesser talented defenses.. at least Keenum can learn.. Schaub is just a old dog who won't learn new tricks.

Vinny
10-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I've given him a Commander Cody label in the past. He looks more like Ty Detmer now. Both Cody and Ty could play competent ball so that's not a huge knock. Will he prove to rise above this? I think he deserves a chance to prove it based on Sunday. He looked pretty good to me.

ObsiWan
10-21-2013, 03:43 PM

This. This. A thousand times THIS. Schaub and TJ aren't going to cut it, and we don't know if Keenum long term will either, but he's the only QB we have that MIGHT do it.

This is where I am right now.
We're 2-5 and while the season isn't mathematically over, it seems to be on a downhill slope that's covered with grease. I haven't given up hope but.... let's just say we'll need a miracle (or three) to make the playoffs at this point.

Might as well see what the kid can do the rest of the way. And OBTW, how about we put C. Wood in the backfield too to see if we need to draft to replace Tate.

We already know we need to draft Cushing's replacement (I hold very little hope that he'll come back 100% this time around), someone to replace Antonio Smiff (unless he restructures) and a decent RT. Let's see what else we need.

buddyboy
10-21-2013, 03:43 PM
The problem with your "both sides of the argument" is even when reading how you broke down each side, it's obvious you favor one.. hence why one side is the side of 1 percenters and the other side "is a fair view" I guarantee you "99% percent" of people here do not agree with what you think 99% of this fan base thinks. Further more.. it's getting redundant to have to keep typing this, but I'M NOT A UofH FAN! and a LOT of people who voiced their opinion have been members of this board for years are also NOT just UofH fans.. their was no "supplementation of uofh fans"

people weren't labeled as haters until it became obvious they were WRONG..

People said he didn't have the arm.. wrong

People said "there's a reason why he was the #3 QB.. wrong

People even said if he played well against the league's best defense, they'd eat their crow.. wrong (which is why this thread is here.. people said they would eat crow, yet only one has shown up)

and nobody is glossing over mistakes made. We see them, the difference is between us and the "haters" is we expect those type of mistakes in a first start against the league's best defense, but we aren't dumb enough to not see the positives. Hell when your 7 year starter is making even worse type of mistakes, mistakes that lead to breaking NFL records, at least Keenum can learn.. Schaub is just a old dog who won't learn new tricks.

Absolutely, you're right on which side I fall on. I never said there weren't biases. But I can respect your opinion and fall somewhere in the middle (even if I'm still on the cautiously optimistic side). There are straight up haters, I'm sure. There are also Keenum fans who literally root for him only (typically, and not always, UoH alumni/students). I'm not saying there are any on this board, or that you are, but I know a few myself.

P.S. I never made any suggestions that you were a UoH fan or UoH affiliated in any way.

buddyboy
10-21-2013, 03:44 PM
This is where I am right now.
We're 2-5 and while the season isn't mathematically over, it seems to be on a downhill slope that's covered with grease. I haven't given up hope but.... let's just say we'll need a miracle (or three) to make the playoffs at this point.

Might as well see what the kid can do the rest of the way. And OBTW, how about we put C. Wood in the backfield too to see if we need to draft to replace Tate.

We already know we need to draft Cushing's replacement (I hold very little hope that he'll come back 100% this time around), someone to replace Antonio Smiff (unless he restructures) and a decent RT. Let's see what else we need.

Cierre Wood has been cut, reportedly.

Double Barrel
The 'code' in the NFL is that a starter doesn't lose his job to injury. If Schaub is healthy, look for him to start against Indy.

I would think he would be on a short leash and they may have to put Keenum in so the offense can hear the plays over all the boos.

Well, there is also a "code" in the NFL that head coaches get fired if they can only manage two playoff wins in 8 seasons.

Part of that code is losing your job as a coach if your unit is the worst in the NFL. Marciano is still here like the Energizer Bunny.

The Texans obviously never got the memo on the "code". :spy:

Rey
So you disagree that the posters you're arguing with want the best for the Texans as a team?

Is that what I said in my post you quoted?

How can we even have a discussion if you aren't addressing anything I said?

Vinny
10-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Someone tell Bill Belichick that he is a codebreaker.

buddyboy
10-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Is that what I said in my post you quoted?

How can we even have a discussion if you aren't addressing anything I said?

My original post had one point that I reiterated at the end: there's two sides of this argument, both sides want the best for the Texans. Wherever you stand on Case, don't take either side to the extreme.

You said you disagree. I haven't seen anyone "harp" on his negatives, I haven't seen anyone designate him as THE answer going forward. He had a *good* game. It wasn't enough to win, and that's what we're all about, right?

ObsiWan
10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Cierre Wood has been cut, reportedly.

C. Wood is still listed on the roster at houstontexans.com as the #3 RB. And there's nothing to that effect - that he'd been cut - listed among the team transactions. Do you have a link?
:texflag:

Double Barrel
10-21-2013, 04:29 PM
C. Wood is still listed on the roster at houstontexans.com as the #3 RB. And there's nothing to that effect - that he'd been cut - listed among the team transactions. Do you have a link?
:texflag:

Texans Waive Players (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102642)

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Who exactly should he be compared to?

Were there any other qb's making their first start under similar conditions as case this weekend?

I don't know what you guys' are looking at or expect. Keenum played very well.

You should compare him to other starting QBs in the league to determine if he played well overall. In that regard, he played ok. 1 TD and 2 fumbles is not great, or even "good." Having said that, for a guy making his first start he showed some real positives. The guy can definitely throw the ball and seems to be able to keep plays alive with his legs. He deserves a real shot at being the future. He should be the starter for the rest of the year based on the KC game and what the Texans had at QB prior to it.

There's a difference between saying that a guy is probably our best at the position and saying he played or is great. There's also a difference between saying a guy played ok and rooting for him to fail. Huge difference. I want Keenum to succeed, but it takes more than "he played better than the last guy" for me to start overly praising someone. It also takes more than 25 regular season passes. That's just the way I am.

In regards to the weak minded comment, just look at the title of this thread for that. Throwing unfounded confidence in an undrafted player and starting a thread like this after one quarter is about as weak minded as it gets.

Rey
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
You should compare him to other starting QBs in the league to determine if he played well overall.

Well then you're creating your own phantom counter argument.

No one has said that keenum can play like that forever and be considered a good starter.

What has consistently been said is that in those circumstances, with that being his first start he played well. It was a very good beginning for him.

If you are comparing him to other good starting qb's then your expectations were unrealistic. If he'd have played like a good starter having a good game against that defense that would have been unreal. And even then, it'd still have been just one game.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Well then you're creating your own phantom counter argument.

No one has said that keenum can play like that forever and be considered a good starter.

What has consistently been said is that in those circumstances, with that being his first start he played well.

If you are comparing him to other good starting qb's then your expectations were unrealistic.

I didn't have any expectations other than I expected him to make some good throws, based on preseason. How he would handle managing a full regular season game was up in the air. He did a decent job at it, but made some small mistakes. I think he can improve on it. They are certainly coachable mistakes.

Rey
10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
As far as the title of the thread, there were people saying keenum would fail miserably and would be a step down from Schaub. Well, he wasn't either if those things.

If you weren't one of the people saying that keenum would fall on his face and be miserable against the chiefs then the thread title shouldn't offend you.

Does any of this mean case will be a legit starter in this league? NO

But it's just my opinion that if the first thing you came here and said was some variation of "he wasn't all that", then you're likely one if the people that have a problem with the thread title, which means you likely predicted that case would not do well.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Predicting whether or not Keenum would do well was complete conjecture. Truthfully, nobody should know either way. People predicting him to fail are just as ridiculous as people predicting him to be great.

And who said anything about being offended by the thread title? It's more funny than anything, I simply pointed it out after the weak minded comment was brought up to describe people who didn't think Keenum played great. It was more of a "funny that you should post that in this thread" kind of comment.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Throwing unfounded confidence in an undrafted player and starting a thread like this after one quarter is about as weak minded as it gets.

Putting your reputation on the line after just one quarter is not "weak minded".. that takes guts.. at least more guts than those who bashed every person who ever said anything remotely positive about Keenum have. I don't even know what the hell you were attempting to say above, because it doesn't make a lick of sense

Also

Predicting whether or not Keenum would do well was complete conjecture. Truthfully, nobody should know either way. People predicting him to fail are just as ridiculous as people predicting him to be great.

And who said anything about being offended by the thread title? It's more funny than anything, I simply pointed it out after the weak minded comment was brought up to describe people who didn't think Keenum played great. It was more of a "funny that you should post that in this thread" kind of comment.

Saying he played great and predicting him to be great are two completely different things :rolleyes:

Did I say he played great.. yes, I did, because given the circumstances he played under (no running back), he did (which even his own teammates said).. did I predict him to "BE GREAT".. I never did. Do I believe that he can be a answer in the future for this team, yep I do until he proves that wrong.. but that's far from saying "He'll be great". Once again, the haters got to hate and make crap up.

You should compare him to other starting QBs in the league to determine if he played well overall.

Do us a favor.. pull up the first starts of other top NFL QBs in this league.. compare them and then get back with us, to extend that pull up the ones who had to make that start on the road. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find too many that played better than case.. hence the "he played great" (not IS great, but played great) comment.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 07:54 PM
You're out of your mind or didn't watch the game if you think Keenum didn't play well given the circumstances. Once Tate got hurt we had zero threat of a running game which allowed the defense to pin it's ears back the rest of the way. The offensive line got it's tail whipped from that point on hence why we gave up 5 sacks in the 2nd half.

I think if you have to say "given the circumstances" that says it all. & 4 of those sacks were in the 4th qtr. From that point on, we can say Case looked better than Matt Barkley & that's really all that can be said.

I want Case to start the rest of the year. Not because I thought he Kaepernicked it, but because I like the way Kubiak called the game.

& I'm sorry If I don't give any creedence to you Schaub hater/Case fanbois..... Matt Schaub haters swing from Keenum's nutts... shocking...

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Can I go back & cherry pick the Seattle game with ifs?

Is it ok to play the if game now? I don't want someone jumping on me like I'm the only one playing the game.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
meh....no pick 6s, so in my mind, that's a good enough improvement to stay on the job.

That's honest. I can get behind that. Not too fanboi... not too hater..... honest.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Can I go back & cherry pick the Seattle game with ifs?

Is it ok to play the if game now? I don't want someone jumping on me like I'm the only one playing the game.

As long as you aren't going to throw a lame duck hand grenade to the flat.. please do :)

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 08:17 PM
A much tougher test is when you have to keep up the pace with a great qb. They got indy coming up post bye and we will see more from case.

I can't wait.

No doubt in my mind Case will start, no doubt in my mind that he'll statistically play a better game than Andrew Luck... may not throw as many TDs, but ypa, completion percentage, total yards...... Keenum's numbers are going to be more like a starting QB's.

legacy_gt
10-21-2013, 08:50 PM
You should compare him to other starting QBs in the league to determine if he played well overall. In that regard, he played ok.

let's compare case then to the other qb's against the the chiefs. who was the best?

who had the least amount of experience?

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
By the way, another childish trait is "I told you so threads", especially after one game. Sure, none of us want to be wrong; so far, it looks like I was wrong on Case, but before ANYONE eats crow, we need to see more than 1 game (or one quarter, smh)

I wasn't wrong. Three things I said I wanted to see before I jumped on the "start Keenum" bandwagon.

Don't do anything stupid
Don't fumble on a sack
Be that spark that gets this run game/defense to dominate

That's all I wanted. He did not do anything stupid. Good.

He fumbled when he was sacked. Not good. Especially considering the situation. As bad as everyone thinks Kubiak did yesterday, given the circumstances (on the road, great defense, awesome pass rush, brand new QB) the best he could have done was to coach a close game with the ball in our hands...... needing a field goal to win. & that's where we were.

There was a spark, we generated some turnovers... but we gave up two 80+ yard TD scoring drives to an offense with one good player. We gave up a 3rd & 21 from their 23 (no score on the drive because Reid gambled on 4th down instead of kicking an 18 yard field goal).

Offensively too many third downs we didn't convert to be able to say there was a spark. 3rd & long, how many of those do you think we converted? 3rd & short, we did fine. 3rd & long, not much better than before & that's not on the QB, I'm not blaming the QB at all.... I'm just saying if there was a spark, if this team was actually playing harder than they had in the past, they would have picked up 3rd & long more frequently than we did before.

None of our QBs give us a chance to win if the rest of the team plays the way they play.

But I think Gary has better tools to work with... with Keenum, so I want Keenum to start even though he fumbled the ball when he got sacked (he's going to get sacked again, I hope he doesn't fumble the ball again). Even though this team did not respond.

If I could be convinced that Schaub would throw the ball downfield, maybe I'd consider Schaub, but asking him to do that makes him self conscious about doing that, which makes him telegraph his throws, which leads to pick 6s...... which makes me wonder why he'd even consider it in the first place.

So yeah, I was wrong. Not about Case, he played great considering but that Kubiak would take a shot on 3rd & 3 from field goal range. I'll have to go back & see if Kubiak actually did call it, but Matt wussed out, it'll be hard to tell, since Matt has the leeway to seemlessly change it to a run play.

DocBar
10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I wasn't wrong. Three things I said I wanted to see before I jumped on the "start Keenum" bandwagon.

Don't do anything stupid
Don't fumble on a sack
Be that spark that gets this run game/defense to dominate

That's all I wanted. He did not do anything stupid. Good.

He fumbled when he was sacked. Not good. Especially considering the situation. As bad as everyone thinks Kubiak did yesterday, given the circumstances (on the road, great defense, awesome pass rush, brand new QB) the best he could have done was to coach a close game with the ball in our hands...... needing a field goal to win. & that's where we were.

There was a spark, we generated some turnovers... but we gave up two 80+ yard TD scoring drives to an offense with one good player. We gave up a 3rd & 21 from their 23 (no score on the drive because Reid gambled on 4th down instead of kicking an 18 yard field goal).

Offensively too many third downs we didn't convert to be able to say there was a spark. 3rd & long, how many of those do you think we converted? 3rd & short, we did fine. 3rd & long, not much better than before & that's not on the QB, I'm not blaming the QB at all.... I'm just saying if there was a spark, if this team was actually playing harder than they had in the past, they would have picked up 3rd & long more frequently than we did before.

None of our QBs give us a chance to win if the rest of the team plays the way they play.

But I think Gary has better tools to work with... with Keenum, so I want Keenum to start even though he fumbled the ball when he got sacked (he's going to get sacked again, I hope he doesn't fumble the ball again). Even though this team did not respond.

If I could be convinced that Schaub would throw the ball downfield, maybe I'd consider Schaub, but asking him to do that makes him self conscious about doing that, which makes him telegraph his throws, which leads to pick 6s...... which makes me wonder why he'd even consider it in the first place.

So yeah, I was wrong. Not about Case, he played great considering but that Kubiak would take a shot on 3rd & 3 from field goal range. I'll have to go back & see if Kubiak actually did call it, but Matt wussed out, it'll be hard to tell, since Matt has the leeway to seemlessly change it to a run play.

That's about as honest and straightforward a post as I've seen from you in a while. Rep.

Keenum definitely has some things to clean up, but we saw, along with Kubiak, Smith and Mcnair, the kind of QB play that has been missing for several years. Keenum brings things to the table that Schaub just physically can't and, nowadays, mentally can't.

I can't bein to understand what you're talking about in the bolded. Regardless, at least you weren't washing Schaub's weenie and admitted that Keenum did pretty OK yesterday.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 09:11 PM
As far as the title of the thread, there were people saying keenum would fail miserably and would be a step down from Schaub. Well, he wasn't either if those things.

People? Maybe there was a person saying that.... maybe that's what you heard.. maybe I've got blinders on & my Keenum hate is preventing me from seeing it.

qqert
10-21-2013, 09:13 PM
but kubes is starting schaub after the bye.

sigh..

DocBar
10-21-2013, 09:19 PM
but kubes is starting schaub after the bye.

sigh..We aren't two Sundays from now, so don't despair. My money says Schaub will be much more injured by then. Whether it's a setback or Kubiak is "just being smart with it", Keenum will start against the Dolts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Schaub was called into Kubiak's office and privately given the news that Keenum will be starting. That protects Schaub's status as a sterter and Kubiak's as a "players coach" who doesn't let an injury take a starters job. That helps Schaub keep employment options open and Kubiak keep the locker room's faith. 2013 is Schaub's last with the Texans. Keep an eye on Craig's List for his house going up for sale.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 10:47 PM
We aren't two Sundays from now, so don't despair. My money says Schaub will be much more injured by then. Whether it's a setback or Kubiak is "just being smart with it", Keenum will start against the Dolts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Schaub was called into Kubiak's office and privately given the news that Keenum will be starting. That protects Schaub's status as a sterter and Kubiak's as a "players coach" who doesn't let an injury take a starters job. That helps Schaub keep employment options open and Kubiak keep the locker room's faith. 2013 is Schaub's last with the Texans. Keep an eye on Craig's List for his house going up for sale.

I heard on one of the morning shows that Schaub was saying he was healthy & ready to play... they went on to say Schaub was pretty much saying he's not going to "act" like he's hurt to make it easy on Kubiak. Basically forcing Kubiak to bench him, which Kubiak doesn't want to do.

Not out of respect for Matt. But I'm thinking Schaub knows it will hurt whatever chance he'll have for being allowed to compete for a starting job, much less be given one next season (I'm sure he was sitting on the sideline thinking, "I wouldn't pay me $12M next year if that kid was on my roster." ) if he's put on IR & no one sees him play a meaningful football game over the next 8 months.

He'll probably try to get Kubiak to release him outright so he can find another team this year, but there's no way our cap would allow us to do that.

Anyway.... If I had to guess, Gary & the think-tank is trying to formulate how they'll market this. Working out QBs tells me they're looking for someone to run the scout team, meaning Tj is the #2. They want to IR Schaub, but he doesn't want to go quietly.

& like I said, they can't cut him.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't understand the talk about Kubiak's willingness to take a shot on 3rd and 3 with Keenum, but not Schaub. Or maybe some people are just surprised that we are running our wide receivers deep? These are the same plays that we were running earlier in the year. The guy that makes the decision to throw that ball is the QB. Keenum should be getting the praise for that TD throw. That's one of the things I like about Keenum: his willingness and ability to make that kind of throw.

thunderkyss
10-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I don't understand the talk about Kubiak's willingness to take a shot on 3rd and 3 with Keenum, but not Schaub. Or maybe some people are just surprised that we are running our wide receivers deep? These are the same plays that we were running earlier in the year. The guy that makes the decision to throw that ball is the QB. Keenum should be getting the praise for that TD throw. That's one of the things I like about Keenum: his willingness and ability to make that kind of throw.

I'm going to have to go back & look, I can't remember taking that shot on 3rd & 3. 1st & 10 from the 30, like Graham in Seattle... yeah.

& it may not be Kubiak, it may be me. In that situation, that down & distance, that part of the field, that time in the game... I'm expecting to try to pick up the first down.

Like you said, probably the same play.

I'm not giving Kubiak any praise for the call, just saying I think he's having fun again calling plays for someone who's going to execute them the way they were designed to be executed.

DocBar
10-22-2013, 12:01 AM
I heard on one of the morning shows that Schaub was saying he was healthy & ready to play... they went on to say Schaub was pretty much saying he's not going to "act" like he's hurt to make it easy on Kubiak. Basically forcing Kubiak to bench him, which Kubiak doesn't want to do.

Not out of respect for Matt. But I'm thinking Schaub knows it will hurt whatever chance he'll have for being allowed to compete for a starting job, much less be given one next season (I'm sure he was sitting on the sideline thinking, "I wouldn't pay me $12M next year if that kid was on my roster." ) if he's put on IR & no one sees him play a meaningful football game over the next 8 months.

He'll probably try to get Kubiak to release him outright so he can find another team this year, but there's no way our cap would allow us to do that.

Anyway.... If I had to guess, Gary & the think-tank is trying to formulate how they'll market this. Working out QBs tells me they're looking for someone to run the scout team, meaning Tj is the #2. They want to IR Schaub, but he doesn't want to go quietly.

& like I said, they can't cut him.Depending on what the coaches decide to do, Schaub could be cutting his own throat. It would be much better for him to agree that he was injured and could play better than to admit that he was healthy and played as bad as he did. No more game film from 2013 can only help Schaub. He killed any trade/contract value in the first 5 weeks of 2013. Schaub is in a no win situation if he tries to force any hand at all.

Rey
10-22-2013, 12:27 AM
People? Maybe there was a person saying that.... maybe that's what you heard.. maybe I've got blinders on & my Keenum hate is preventing me from seeing it.

I read one post that directly said it. But let's not be coy...there were quite a few people indirectly saying keenum was not worth the trouble. Well, 1 game in, he's shown good promise.

It's hard to talk real football when people let their pride get in the way of honest evals.

I didn't like the Mercilus pick. I made that clear from the get go. But when the guy does good things I praise him. When he gets better at something I say he got better.

No one "knows" how these players will turn out so what sense does it make to get married to an eval that you did once upon a time?

Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. Sometimes you're right and a guy changes...it happens.

Rey
10-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Predicting whether or not Keenum would do well was complete conjecture. Truthfully, nobody should know either way.

That's about as irrelevant as it gets. Of course no one knows. Does that need to be said?

The point is, when you make strong statements about something and it doesn't go how you predicted, you look weak minded when you can't even acknowledge that for that one moment/game a guy played well without some crack about keenum fans.

This is part of a post you made last week:

. You have people on the board expecting Keenum to be a "special" player (taken from this thread) when he has literally done nothing thus far in his NFL career. He has been sitting on the practice squad for how long now? How many years have teams passed up on him to be on their roster again? It is just silly. What I see is a beat down fan base struggling to comprehend what exactly is happening to their team and throwing their last bit of hope into an unproven, undrafted hometown kid. Meanwhile, they have made a determination about Yates that is almost equally as unfounded. It is just laughably silly all around, but I guess I'm just a realist.

You made several other post referencing him being on practice squad, being an udfa, making some good throws against back ups and people not in the nfl anymore.

Calling yourself a realist, and and anyone that thought case would play well desperate or delusional or whatever. And it's fine to still hold that opinion because it was only one game. But I guarantee you'd have been on here thumping your chest had keenum played poorly. Because while you didn't directly say it (maybe you did at some point) you more than alluded to it being highly likely.

You can't knock other people for their views beforehand and then when something positive goes their way and there's a tiny chance they could be right, come back and knock them again. That's weak.

TexansSeminole
10-22-2013, 01:10 AM
That's about as irrelevant as it gets. Of course no one knows. Does that need to be said?

The point is, when you make strong statements about something and it doesn't go how you predicted, you look weak minded when you can't even acknowledge that for that one moment/game a guy played well without some crack about keenum fans.

This is part of a post you made last week:

You made several other post referencing him being on practice squad, being a sixth round pick, making some good throws against back ups and people not in the nfl anymore.

Calling yourself a realist, and and anyone that thought case would play well desperate or delusional or whatever. And it's fine to still hold that opinion because it was only one game. But I guarantee you'd have been on here thumping your chest had keenum played poorly. Because while you didn't directly say it (maybe you did at some point) you more than alluded to it being highly likely.

You can't knock other people for their views beforehand and then when something positive goes there way and there's a tiny chance they could be right, come back and knock them again. That's weak.

It's not irrelevant because it shows you where my mindset is. I never predicted it to go either way. My statements were simply to say that Yates deserved a full game, so did Keenum but moreso Yates. I further stated that predicting great success was unfounded. So, I'm not sure how anything didn't go my way, or how I predicted.

The post above was directed at people who said they thought he would do great. The kid was undrafted. Predicting him to play great IS unfounded and is more indicative of a desperate group of fans. Hell, we are all desperate here, the team sucks. Sorry for saying something obvious. And I haven't knocked anyone for saying he played well. I gave my opinion that he played decent.

And Rey, don't tell me I would be on here pumping my chest if Keenum played poorly. I didn't even predict that, so what the hell are you talking about?

I'm going to have to go back & look, I can't remember taking that shot on 3rd & 3. 1st & 10 from the 30, like Graham in Seattle... yeah.

& it may not be Kubiak, it may be me. In that situation, that down & distance, that part of the field, that time in the game... I'm expecting to try to pick up the first down.

Like you said, probably the same play.

I'm not giving Kubiak any praise for the call, just saying I think he's having fun again calling plays for someone who's going to execute them the way they were designed to be executed.

You'd hope that he is. I think part of Kubes deal is that he is trying to show some loyally, because vets respect it. However, in this situation, he just needs to move on.

If Keenum can improve over the course of the year, I think fans are going to come to the determination that this squad does have better targets than we thought on the roster. He's got the arm to take advantage of them.

thunderkyss
10-22-2013, 07:13 AM
You'd hope that he is. I think part of Kubes deal is that he is trying to show some loyally, because vets respect it. However, in this situation, he just needs to move on.

I think it's more than hope. Listening to the things he says about Keenum before & after the game I think it's clear he's having fun.

If Keenum can improve over the course of the year, I think fans are going to come to the determination that this squad does have better targets than we thought on the roster. He's got the arm to take advantage of them.

Agreed

Uncle Rico
10-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Pressure situations will determine a QB's worth. Case played fine, nothing screamed superstar to me, especially not picking up jailbreak blitzes, and misplacing a few balls (Graham/Hopkins) balls that could have been scores or set up scores. I'm not going to crown him anything yet, he showed some promise no doubt.

Let's see what happens when more film becomes available to DC's and how quick he will be able to implement the full playbook. Pistol formations are not catching anybody off guard anymore.

Plenty of time to see whether or not he will pan out. Starting Schaub moving forward may cost Kubiak his job, and if so say goodbye to the Keenum project, the new coach will draft his QB in what is probably one of the deeper drafts for the position in a few years.

eriadoc
10-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Just in case anyone wants a little perspective, go look at Brady's stats for his first few games after he took over for Bledsoe back in '01. I remember nothing saying superstar at the time, so I went back and looked, and yeah, doesn't look like it from the stat sheet either. Not saying Keenum will be Brady, duh. Just saying it's one game, either way.

5/10, 46 yds, 0, 0, 62.9 QBR - L, 3-10
13/23, 168 yds, 0, 0, 79.6 QBR, W 44-13, 1 sack
12/24, 86 yds, 0, 0, 58.7 QBR, L 10-30, 4 sacks, 2 fumbles lost

Now be true to yourself - if Keenum puts up those games as his first three, are you still clamoring for him to start?

Scooter
10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Just in case anyone wants a little perspective, go look at Brady's stats for his first few games after he took over for Bledsoe back in '01. I remember nothing saying superstar at the time, so I went back and looked, and yeah, doesn't look like it from the stat sheet either. Not saying Keenum will be Brady, duh. Just saying it's one game, either way.

5/10, 46 yds, 0, 0, 62.9 QBR - L, 3-10
13/23, 168 yds, 0, 0, 79.6 QBR, W 44-13, 1 sack
12/24, 86 yds, 0, 0, 58.7 QBR, L 10-30, 4 sacks, 2 fumbles lost

Now be true to yourself - if Keenum puts up those games as his first three, are you still clamoring for him to start?

the repeated opinion when coaches talk in hindsight about brady is mariucci's line "we looked at everything, but we didnt open up his chest". i doubt there's anyone on the planet that would question what's in case's chest. i know i'm coming off as "fan boy" at this point, and really couldnt care less. i'm not a college fan, and didnt have anything to say about case until this offseason when he gave me reason to take a deeper look. i truly cant find a knock on this kid. arm - check, touch - check, mobility in the pocket - check, mobility outside the pocket - check, accuracy - check, leading throws - check, YAC - check, a leader - check, a hard worker - check, intelligent - check, accurate on the run - check, quick reads - check.

the only thing that case doesnt have is experience. again, i'm aware i sound over the top blinded by the local kid, but that couldnt be further from the truth. he could be dan from wisconsin and i'd say the same things. i see an exceptional talent.

to your point about the numbers, it didnt matter then and it doesnt matter now - there's something special that is obvious to the eyes regardless of the spreadsheet.

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Pressure situations will determine a QB's worth. Case played fine, nothing screamed superstar to me, especially not picking up jailbreak blitzes, and misplacing a few balls (Graham/Hopkins) balls that could have been scores or set up scores. I'm not going to crown him anything yet, he showed some promise no doubt.

Yeah but, do you think he can throw a football over them mountains?

buddyboy
10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
the repeated opinion when coaches talk in hindsight about brady is mariucci's line "we looked at everything, but we didnt open up his chest". i doubt there's anyone on the planet that would question what's in case's chest. i know i'm coming off as "fan boy" at this point, and really couldnt care less. i'm not a college fan, and didnt have anything to say about case until this offseason when he gave me reason to take a deeper look. i truly cant find a knock on this kid. arm - check, touch - check, mobility in the pocket - check, mobility outside the pocket - check, accuracy - check, leading throws - check, YAC - check, a leader - check, a hard worker - check, intelligent - check, accurate on the run - check, quick reads - check.

the only thing that case doesnt have is experience. again, i'm aware i sound over the top blinded by the local kid, but that couldnt be further from the truth. he could be dan from wisconsin and i'd say the same things. i see an exceptional talent.

to your point about the numbers, it didnt matter then and it doesnt matter now - there's something special that is obvious to the eyes regardless of the spreadsheet.

I love your enthusiasm and optimism, I really do. But a checklist like that needs more than a pre-season and one game to accurately assess. Hopefully by the end of this season we know where Case falls so we know we can either roll into next season with him or look into the draft (either way, I'd be looking in the draft, just as insurance).

klockWork
10-22-2013, 04:21 PM
As much as I was impressed by Keenum, let's not get too excited by his first game. Matt Schaub did had that one game against new England as a Falcons. Matt Flynn had that one game against Detroit. The only thing Keenum has going for him is his first name isn't Matt.

76Texan
10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
As much as I was impressed by Keenum, let's not get too excited by his first game. Matt Schaub did had that one game against new England as a Falcons. Matt Flynn had that one game against Detroit. The only thing Keenum has going for him is his first name isn't Matt.

Schaub played mostly against back-ups as the Patriots were resting most of their starters for the play-offs.

Detroit never had a defense.

utahmark
10-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Schaub was a good QB for a couple years. Flynn not so much.