PDA

View Full Version : Bum Phillips passed away

TejasTom
10-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Bum Phillips passes away at his home in Goliad at the age of 90.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/houston-icon-bum-phillips-dies/

Dishman
10-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Ah, no. :( RIP.

Wolf
10-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Phillips was born in Orange, Texas, on Sept. 29, 1923. He graduated from Beaumont French High School and Stephen F. Austin College.Oail Andrew “Bum” Phillips Jr., who spent half his adult life as a football coach and every waking moment as the personification of all things Texan, died Friday at his ranch in Goliad.Phillips was three weeks past his 90th birthday and more than three decades removed from his heyday as head coach of the Oilers from 1975 through 1980. But he remains the personification of a time, a place and a team that remains deep in the hearts of everyone who saw them play.The end came on a cool autumn football weekend as Houston’s current pro team, the Texans, prepares to play Sunday with his son, Wade, serving as defensive coordinator. Family members said Wade Phillips visited with his father before rejoining the team for its trip to Kansas City.Bum Phillips was a product of a family that traced its roots to Texas’ frontier past, and he did his job dressed in boots, jeans and a white Stetson – except at the Astrodome, since his mama told him it was impolite to wear a hat indoors.He was, said one admirer, the “Will Rogers of the NFL,” justly famous for such sayings as, “There’s two kinds of coaches: them that’s been fired, and them that’s gonna be fired.”

PHILLYTEXANFAN
10-18-2013, 11:17 PM
R.I.P Bum

HouTx11
10-18-2013, 11:18 PM
RIP Bum! Wade, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

Premier
10-18-2013, 11:18 PM
sad news..

ajohnson80
10-18-2013, 11:19 PM
much respect to a H town legend.

Hopefully this is the year we can finally kick that SOB in.

gwallaia
10-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Luv Ya Bum.

A Texas Legend

mike moffat
10-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Bum was class all of the way. I am fortunate to have talked to him on several occasions away from football.

RIP Bum. Texas has lost a good man.

TheRealJoker
10-18-2013, 11:21 PM
RIP Bum

MistaRed
10-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Rest in peace Bum.

Maybe the defense plays inspired Sunday for Wade.

ThaJokaa
10-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Rest in peace Bum.

Maybe the defense plays inspired Sunday for Wade.

:clap:

R.I.P Bum Phillips

CoastalTexan
10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
RIP and Semper Fi Bum

badboy
10-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Wow, he brought me so much entertainment including his Bumisms. RIP big guy. Condolences to Wade and entire family. Many former players will have tears tomorrow.

76Texan
10-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Bum Phillips passes away at his home in Goliad at the age of 90.

R.I.P. Bum

You will be missed.

Tailgate
10-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Damn. Loved still seeing him around... RIP

Vance87
10-18-2013, 11:43 PM
RIP Bum!

http://www.museumofthegulfcoast.org/images/bum%20phillips.jpg

Big Lou
10-18-2013, 11:44 PM
90, he had a pretty good run, he will be missed........

MEGA SWATT
10-18-2013, 11:45 PM
So sad to hear. Such a str8 shooting, kind person and texas coaching legend. Lived a good long life. RIP

Rey
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Man...

I normally don't comment in many RIP threads....And I'm not even old enough to remember Bum coaching.

But his legend speaks for itself.

RIP, and thoughts and prayers for Wade. Sad, sad day.

ChampionTexan
10-18-2013, 11:49 PM
RIP Bum

Thoughts and prayers to Wade & family.

Carr Bombed
10-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Rest in peace Bum. It's weird though, I'm not really sad, because the man lived such a full life. He was a true legend.

I feel sorry for the Chiefs offense though.. Remember when Houston had to go play a less talented and undermanned SD team after damn near the whole city burned down? or had to go play the Raiders after Al Davis died? That defense is going to rally around Wade,

Heath Shuler
10-19-2013, 12:00 AM
RIP. Luv Ya Bum. He was one of a kind.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-19-2013, 12:08 AM
RIP Mr. Phillips with all my respect. This is so sad.

Love Ya Bum.

texanhead08
10-19-2013, 12:12 AM
RIP Coach Phillips

http://www.wadephillips.net/picturesht/assorted_ph/wp_assorted_ht_005.jpg

chicagotexan2
10-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Coach Bum Philips is up there with Nolan Ryan as far as local sports legends that were also decent men. Im sure he lived a full life but This is sad news.

CloakNNNdagger
10-19-2013, 12:34 AM
A great coach.......a great person.........RIP, Bum.

houstonhurricane
10-19-2013, 12:35 AM
RIP to Bum and his family...gentlemen and a legend.

centexfan
10-19-2013, 12:37 AM
R.I.P. Indeed.

I hope it was a peaceful passing.

Surreal McCoy
10-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Makes me sad. He was such a joyful character - there's a lot to be learned from that. RIP and condolences to his family.

stingray
10-19-2013, 12:40 AM
RIP Coach Phillips

http://www.wadephillips.net/picturesht/assorted_ph/wp_assorted_ht_005.jpg

Awesome pic!!

By the way, just saw your sig. I hope Kubiak isn't repeating the same thing after this week. :gun:

texanhead08
10-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Awesome pic!!

By the way, just saw your sig. I hope Kubiak isn't repeating the same thing after this week. :gun:

I hope we have found the QB to get us out of this funk.

ArlingtonTexan
10-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Thank You.

eriadoc
10-19-2013, 12:45 AM
"Jaw dropped" seems like such a funny phrase, but that is exactly what happened to me when I saw this thread title up top. I realize we Houstonians love the man, but I really think he's kind of underrated elsewhere. He truly was a legendary coach. RIP, Bum. I was hoping you'd be here for the Texans first Super Bowl.

thunderkyss
10-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Thoughts & prayers for the legend.

I hope the Texans finds some way to honor him. I know "technically" his history belongs to the Titans, but he was a stand up guy, he stood behind the Texans, I hope we find a way to stand by him.

Insideop
10-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Sad day for all us old Oiler fans. Bum is such an icon in Texas football, and not just on the pro level either. He's a true Texas football legend and will be sorely missed. Rest in piece Bum!

axman40
10-19-2013, 12:57 AM
R.I.P. Bum
"An expert is an ordinary fella away from home."
"The only discipline that last is self discipline."
"Two kinds of ballplayers aren't worth a darn: One that never does what he's told, and one who does nothin' except what he's told."
"You don't know a ladder has splinters until you slide down it."
"How do you win? By getting average players to play good and good players to play great. That's how you win."
"Winning is only half of it. Having fun is the other half."
Thank you Sir!

Carr Bombed
10-19-2013, 01:01 AM
Coach Bum Phillips is up there with Nolan Ryan as far as local sports legends that were also decent men. I'm sure he lived a full life but This is sad news.

It's sad for those who he left behind, but when I deal with someone's death, I like to celebrate their life instead of just going into morn over their death. What's sad is when someone never reaches their full potential or never maxes out their time while they're here.. Bum far exceeded all of that.

NFL Network just aired a montage of his coaching career and clips of his "Bum-isms", I couldn't help but smile. I'm listening to 610 right now and they suggested that a statue of him should be built outside of Reliant stadium.. and I agree. Cowboy hat and all. :)

Dread-Head
10-19-2013, 01:18 AM
RIP Bum!

http://www.museumofthegulfcoast.org/images/bum%20phillips.jpg

1. Thank you for enlisting in the Corps after Pearl Harbor and coming home after the war after all the action you saw with Captains bars and a chest full of medals. Semper Fi.

2. Thank you for being a hell of a defensive coordinator and head coach who brought us The Tyler Rose, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Bourroughs, Karl Mauck and the Luv ya Blue era.

3. Thank you for making a kid from South Park in southeast Houston love and want to play the game of football.

4. Thank you for "Knocking on the Door" even though you never got to "kick the sum 3itch in."

& finally

5. Thank you for giving me, the City of Houston and virtually everyone on this board a love of the game of football that survived the man who didn't have the balls to call you into his office to fire you taking our team to Tennessee.

Coach were it not for the love of the game that you fostered in this city Bob McNair probably would have never toyed with the idea of bringing football BACK to the 4th largest city in America. For that I and everyone on this board is in your eternal debt and while we can't hope to repay you, we can thank you. We mourn your passing but celebrate your love of this great game. You will forever be "OUR" coach.

jaayteetx
10-19-2013, 01:25 AM
My parents took us to that rally in the dome after the Oilers lost the AFC Championship, one of my earliest memories. RIP Bum, I loved listening to you on the radio before and after Oiler home games my Dad took me to later on when I was in junior high and high school. Hellva live you lived.

Dread-Head
10-19-2013, 01:32 AM
My parents took us to that rally in the dome after the Oilers lost the AFC Championship, one of my earliest memories. RIP Bum, I loved listening to you on the radio before and after Oiler home games my Dad took me to later on when I was in junior high and high school. Hellva live you lived.

I was there too.

michaelm
10-19-2013, 01:35 AM
It's a sad day for Houston, and for Texas as a whole. I especially wish that Bum would've lived to see Bud Adams put in the ground.

EVOLVIST
10-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Semper Fidelis, Marine.

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. That I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

My God, he was an inspiration.

TheMatrix31
10-19-2013, 01:46 AM
I wasn't an Oilers fan but I have so much respect for him as a football legend and as a man.

RIP.

Thorn
10-19-2013, 01:47 AM
Luv Ya Blue, Bum

Lurvinator11
10-19-2013, 01:50 AM
My dad was a huge Oilers fan all the way until they moved, and now roots for the Texans. Bum Phillips was his favorite coach, so for christmas last year, I ordered his biography that was signed by him.

I asked them to put "The greatest coach in your life, is your dad". There was a typo in the order though, but his wife personally Emailed me, asking for the correction.

I was very touched by the personality of the order, and my dad was more than happy. He finally got his favorite coaches autograph. Thank you Bum, for all you have done. RIP

bigfan77801
10-19-2013, 01:53 AM
1. Thank you for enlisting in the Corps after Pearl Harbor and coming home after the war after all the action you saw with Captains bars and a chest full of medals. Semper Fi.

2. Thank you for being a hell of a defensive coordinator and head coach who brought us The Tyler Rose, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Bourroughs, Karl Mauck and the Luv ya Blue era.

3. Thank you for making a kid from South Park in southeast Houston love and want to play the game of football.

4. Thank you for "Knocking on the Door" even though you never got to "kick the sum 3itch in."

& finally

5. Thank you for giving me, the City of Houston and virtually everyone on this board a love of the game of football that survived the man who didn't have the balls to call you into his office to fire you taking our team to Tennessee.

Coach were it not for the love of the game that you fostered in this city Bob McNair probably would have never toyed with the idea of bringing football BACK to the 4th largest city in America. For that I and everyone on this board is in your eternal debt and while we can't hope to repay you, we can thank you. We mourn your passing but celebrate your love of this great game. You will forever be "OUR" coach.

I Agree with everything, but #3 (since I am not from that part of Houston) 110%. Thank you sir for finding the words I lacked.
May God be with Wade and his family.

infantrycak
10-19-2013, 02:11 AM

http://media.victoriaadvocate.com/img/photos/2010/08/24/N_bum_phillips_082510_44_C_108389_t140.jpg?4e89196 47a2e6bbf83adffdfc2af48392050a7f4

You'll enjoy reading Bum's words Jesse - Link (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/aug/24/gs_bum_phillips_082510_part1_108389/)

Vinny
10-19-2013, 03:02 AM
The most iconic Coach in the history of Houston sports. If he's not the most iconic, it sure doesn't take long to call roll. Thanks for the memories.

http://youtu.be/pyGpzdnVMRE

Texn4life
10-19-2013, 03:09 AM
There are certain people in life you wish you had the opportunity to grab a beer with and just talk to about all kinds of things in life and Bum has always been one of those guys to me.

Rest in Peace Coach!

Vinny
10-19-2013, 03:32 AM
I wonder if the Texans would consider an OAB patch or helmet sticker?

Bum PhillipsVerified account ‏@BumsCharities (https://twitter.com/BumsCharities/status/391417083923161089)

Instead of flowers, please consider a donation to Bum's charity http://www.bumphillipscharities.com/donate #LuvYaBum

Brisco_County
10-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Character matters. Luv ya Blue.

Heath Shuler
10-19-2013, 07:39 AM

I was there too.

Same here. Man, the memories.......

texdawg
10-19-2013, 07:53 AM
My sig line on a Browns message board for the last 4-5 yrs is a quote from Bum:

"Bum Phillips when asked why he takes his wife on road games-"She's too damn ugly to kiss goodbye"".

I always loved his sense of humor and bigger than life personality.

Much respect---RIP Bum

Showtime100
10-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Wow. Went to bed early and saw this first thing this morning.

R.I.P. Bum, and thank you kindly.

Today I celebrate and remember the man, but with a heavy heart.

Too many thoughts, too much love to really say much at this point.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2013, 08:00 AM
As I demonstrated in previous threads my mom is really good friends with one of Bum's daughters which has afforded me great signed stuff from Bum the last couple years.

That said, my mom told me this was about to happen earlier this week while he was in the hospital as I was getting inside information. However, I was not really allowed to say anything until he passed and it was public out of respect.

I wish I could have personally met the man and of course R.I.P. Bum!

My mom sent me some family pics passed to her by them that are pretty cool and include some "people" we would all recognize. Unfortunately again, have been instructed not to share but they are something I plan on getting printed up and framed.

kingtexan
10-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Huge part of my childhood growing up ... Bum and the Luv Ya Blue days. My heart goes out to Wade and the entire Phillips family. Hey Bum, not sure if there is anything after we leave this earth ... don't personally believe there is. But ... if there is ... and competition is part of it at all ... go kick the son-of-a-***** in.

bckey
10-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Loved that man! What a coach and what a good man. God blessed him with 90 years of life. Thanks for all the memories Bum and thank you for your service to this country. But most of all thank you for loving Jesus.

"I never scrimmage Oilers against Oilers...what for? Houston isn't on our schedule." (Source: The Book of Sports Lists)

Heath Shuler
10-19-2013, 09:26 AM
one of my favorites:

-(referring to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

DBCooper
10-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Knowing there were men like Bum Phillips shaped who I am today.

Thanks Bum!!!!

CharloTex
10-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you Bum for orchestrating what was the magic of Luv Ya Blue. I too was at that post championship game loss pep rally. It was so loud inside the dome that night, I dare say it would set the modern day record for loudest stadium - step aside Kansas City, the loudest cheers I'm aware of were for Bum and his Blue.

Thank you Bum for all that you were, a Texas legend. RIP.

Bulls on Parade
10-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Is there a Bum Phillips signature or banner we can wear?

One of the all-time greats.

Carr Bombed
10-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Is there a Bum Phillips signature or banner we can wear?

One of the all-time greats.

I support this.. instead of rocking a Yates banner, can we put up one of Bum?

Uncle Rico
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
What a sad way to start the day. I'll try to get our 4th graders to wear a yellow ribbon during our game today in his memory. We lost a good coach, a great texan, but an even better man. May God bless the family and give them comfort during these times.

Now let's get fired up out there tomorrow and Win One for Bum!!

FirstTexansFan
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Definitely one of my mentors in a world so devoid of heroes. Mr. McNair, it's time we got that statue of Bum up at Reliant, and while we're at it, add Earl's as well!

escrimador
10-19-2013, 10:38 AM
You were forged from a hotter fire. Thank you Bum. R.I.P.

Houston_Fanatic
10-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Luv Ya Bum!

I still have my Columbia blue handkerchief I used to wave to the Dome. Thanks for the wonderful memories and may you rest in peace.

jaayteetx
10-19-2013, 10:42 AM
http://media.victoriaadvocate.com/img/photos/2010/08/24/N_bum_phillips_082510_44_C_108389_t140.jpg?4e89196 47a2e6bbf83adffdfc2af48392050a7f4

You'll enjoy reading Bum's words Jesse - Link (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/aug/24/gs_bum_phillips_082510_part1_108389/)

Thanks for the link, that was a good read, Semper Fi and RIP Coach!

Hervoyel
10-19-2013, 10:50 AM
90 years is indeed a good run but I still think that it's too short a time to have someone like Bum Phillips around. That's the greatest man to ever coach football in this town and a damn fine human being.

Playoffs
10-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Luv ya Bum!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7jB8_y4RTjw/T90qk5cqnqI/AAAAAAAAB3k/e2AzX5RuDJU/s1600/OABumPhillips.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
10-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Wade on his Dad.

Bum Phillips was as country as a cowboy could be.

A Texas-size cowboy hat, pointed boots to fit in stirrups, dusty blue jeans and a belt buckle as big as Goliad, where he died Friday night with his wife Debbie and other family members present.

Most of all, though, Phillips always had a warm smile and a firm handshake for just about everyone he met.

“I was blessed to have him as a father and coach,” Wade Phillips said late Friday night. “I got to coach with him for 11 years. He taught me everything I know about coaching. He taught me right and wrong. He taught me to enjoy life.”

Wade Phillips, the Texans’ defensive coordinator, went to Goliad after practice Friday.

“I’m so glad I got to see him,” Phillips said. “Dad was such a humble man. I think he’d want to be remembered as someone who treated people well.”

The Phillips family is asking for a few days of privacy. Rather than send flowers, they ask for donations to bumphillipscharities.com so they can finish the home for deaf children that Bum wanted to build before he died.

Phillips will be buried in a private ceremony on his ranch, for family members only. Soon, there will be a memorial service in Houston to celebrate Phillips’ life. It’ll include former Oilers players and coaches as well as many former players and coaches from around the NFL.

“He was a legend, and the legend will live on,” Wade said.

Wade Phillips was a young assistant coach for his father during the Luv Ya Blue era with the Oilers. They were fired in what became known as the New Year’s Eve Massacre in 1980 after a playoff loss at Oakland.

“You know, Dad enlightened everybody around him,” Wade said. “He had this special knack for making people feel good about themselves.”

Wade will travel with the team to Kansas City for Sunday’s game against the undefeated Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium. That’s the way his father would have wanted it.link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/wade-phillips-on-his-late-father-he-was-a-legend-and-the-legend-will-live-on/)

Goatcheese
10-19-2013, 11:42 AM
RIP Bum. You were a Texan in the truest sense of the word.

http://www.texfiles.com/lonestarquarterly/beingtexan.htm

Vinny
10-19-2013, 12:15 PM
"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else." -Bum Phillips

chicagotexan2
10-19-2013, 12:28 PM
It's sad for those who he left behind, but when I deal with someone's death, I like to celebrate their life instead of just going into morn over their death. What's sad is when someone never reaches their full potential or never maxes out their time while they're here.. Bum far exceeded all of that.

NFL Network just aired a montage of his coaching career and clips of his "Bum-isms", I couldn't help but smile. I'm listening to 610 right now and they suggested that a statue of him should be built outside of Reliant stadium.. and I agree. Cowboy hat and all. :)

I hear you. I never watched him coach but he was the kind of man that displayed class, honesty, decency and work ethic that makes me feel proud that he was so linked to Houston.

Dread-Head
10-19-2013, 12:32 PM

I could hear his voice in my head as I read it. Thanks Chris.

Vinny
10-19-2013, 12:33 PM
When asked if he played football in college, Bum replied, "I thought I did until I looked at old game films."

Honoring Earl 34
10-19-2013, 12:38 PM
When asked if he played football in college, Bum replied, "I thought I did until I looked at old game films."

Bum reminds me of my Dad .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S20qvvDGBt0

ObsiWan
10-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Texas has lost an icon and the world has lost a damned fine human being.

RIP

Thanks to Steph for turning us onto his book too.
Glad I listened to you and bought it.

ESAD2-14
10-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Never got to see any of Bum's teams play, wish I could have. Always wanted to meet him.

RIP Marine

silvrhand
10-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Donate to https://www.bumphillipscharities.com/ if you want to do something, Bum wanted to build a home for deaf children before he passed.

I tossed a few $$ for Bum as thanks for all the years of being a great person.

mussop
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
A sad day for us old oiler fans. RIP Bum. You will be missed.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I always loved this video how the crowd goes bananas when Bum comes out before that playoff game against the Bengals (1 minute in) always gave me goosebumps and especially now so even more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML-t28piLNs

Porky
10-19-2013, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't be on this message board today (or any day) if it wasn't for Bum Phillips. I literally owe my love and passion for the sport to Bum Phillips.

As a lad growing up in NJ, baseball was my passion. I played it, ate it, watched it, and and lived it 24/7. The Phillies were my team. Yes, I did watch some football too, some bigger Eagles games. I have memories of my Dad and I watching a couple of Super Bowls, but I had no passion for the sport.

My parents moved me to NJ in early 1978. I believe I was 14. Earl was drafted within a couple weeks of me moving here. I remember kids talking about it at school, although I didn't really have any real friends yet. Then training camp came, and I watched the news and saw Bum on there, and he just seemed bigger than life. I was smitten.

By the time the next school year started, it was Luv ya Blue fever at my school. That got me to start watching it more carefully. Unlike in NJ where baseball is really popular, it quickly dawned on me that football was king.

But it was Bum that captivated me all those years ago. All his home spun sayings, the way he treated his players like family, the stories I heard, and just the general camaraderie of the teams back then just amazed me and it didn't take long to pull me deeply in love with Luv ya Blue. Sure Earl and others contributed, but it was Bum that really pulled me in completely.

I may have watched more football as I grew up naturally Bum or no Bum. It's more sophisticated, and a little harder for a youngster to understand easily. But there is no way I would have grown up to be the passionate fan I am without Bum Phillips.

I never met the man, but he had such an influence on me personally. I would literally be a different person if Bum Phillips was never born.

RIP Bum. You will be missed by many and I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Bravo sir on a life well lived. :clap:

infantrycak
10-19-2013, 11:51 PM
As a lad growing up in NJ,

Now everything becomes clear. You're a damn yankee.

thunderkyss
10-19-2013, 11:58 PM
But it was Bum that captivated me all those years ago. All his home spun sayings, the way he treated his players like family, the stories I heard, and just the general camaraderie of the teams back then just amazed me and it didn't take long to pull me deeply in love with Luv ya Blue. Sure Earl and others contributed, but it was Bum that really pulled me in completely.

The good ole days. A coach would be crucified nowadays if he treated his player, his organization, like family.

DocBar
10-19-2013, 11:58 PM
I went to Northbelt Elementary School and my 4th grade teacher was Mrs. Weeks. She organized and oversaw Luv Ya Blue Fridays. On Fridays when the Oilers played home games, we'd have an Oilers player show up. That was 1978 and it was awesome. I've been a die hard football fan since.

R.I.P. Bum. I'll never forget the memories and never give up on my home town team. God bless and God speed.

Giant Tiger
10-20-2013, 06:27 AM
RIP Bum, you and Earl Campbell are why I cheered for the Houston Oilers :tiphat:

Grams
10-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Now everything becomes clear. You're a damn yankee.

There are a few of us here.

But even we can appreciate what this man has done for football and Houston. They just don't make them like this anymore.

He will be missed.

TexanBorn51
10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Luv Ya Blue Luv Ya Bum. I followed the Oilers in 60s living in Houston and when you came along I had already been drafted and since moved out of town. But those unforgettable memories that you gave the team, Houston and their fans were just frickin awesome and still cherished to this day. My late wife who did sign language also loved, as well as others, his charitable work with deaf children too. Prayers and thoughts are with all.

drs23
10-20-2013, 11:08 AM
R.I.P. Bum
"An expert is an ordinary fella away from home."
"The only discipline that last is self discipline."
"Two kinds of ballplayers aren't worth a darn: One that never does what he's told, and one who does nothin' except what he's told."
"You don't know a ladder has splinters until you slide down it."
"How do you win? By getting average players to play good and good players to play great. That's how you win."
"Winning is only half of it. Having fun is the other half."
Thank you Sir!

I love me some "Bum-isms" A great one is gone. There'll never be another one like him.

I'm so glad I purchased a signed copy of the book TC turned us onto last summer. I'm looking at it in the bookshelf now. Need to read it again.

A great Texas legend that will be truly missed.

RIP Great One.

Trail.Blazr
10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow. Just learned the news here. RIP.

I would give anything to see the Texans pay a 1 play tribute today and run the Bummerooski.

Giant Tiger
10-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Came across this on youtube just last week :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGpzdnVMRE&list=RD02NsjXko9N6B0

Playoffs
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q71/1376414_349405285203423_1276539393_n.jpg

Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum
Bum was laid to rest today at a spot that he picked out on his ranch. He said "under that oak I can see the sunrise and sunset".#LuvyaBum

We received prayers,condolences & tributes for Bum that celebrate his his life rather than mourn his passing. Thank u all #LuvyaBum

Some say social media is negative but thousands have consoled our family at this tough time in our lives. #Godblessuall

Thanks you all for your kindness and support for my family at this time -#LuvyaBum

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Brought a smile to my face.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXTeFG9CcAAm0yE.jpg:large

disaacks3
10-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Brought a smile to my face.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXTeFG9CcAAm0yE.jpg:large

Had to go find that and share on Facebook. Nice find!

thunderkyss
11-07-2013, 02:12 AM
One thing about Bum Phillips... & Earl Campbell for that matter. They supported the Texans. No matter how bad things got, they managed to find something positive & stand behind their team.