PDA

View Full Version : Question for the anti-Keenum crowd

HTown2ATX
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Are you even going to give him as a fan the same rope you would afford any other first time starting QB?

You do realize that's what he is one and ANY other first time starter would be given rope to hang himself with (meaning multiple games...more than 2 at bare....bare minimum). I feel like I can already hear the mouth breathing hyperventilating from some fans in general, not just on TT but everywhere just waiting to chortle at that first pick he throws (never mind he is playing against a bad ass Chiefs defense AND Kubiak will probably still shackle him play call wise).

Schaub has had plenty of time to be "the guy" and frankly has melted down and now he is injured and unless you have rainbow and lollipop fantasies about still winning a SB this year why would you be so against seeing what the kid has? We saw plenty of Yates in the past, we know what he has. Time to see what we have in the cupboard or would it be better to continue to just slurp at the altar of mediocrity whilst grabbing ankle as a fan base per the norm and just be satisfied with scraping into the playoffs with Yates, Schaub or X, Y, Z QB we could sign off his couch?

I'm honestly NOT trying to attack your position, I am trying to understand it. I feel like we are dealing with simple concepts here but some how it became splitting the atom all the sudden.

For the record, I don't think the majority of Keenum supporters think he is the savior....I don't until I see otherwise. But is it THAT hard to see we're not going anywhere with Schaub or Yates at QB? Hell I would be fine with fuqng Big Bird starting a damn game compared to the decrepit vomitous abomination I have seen the last few games if nothing else to see this coach and front office finally make some kind, any kind of ballsy move. Jeebus.

rmartin65
10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
... Yes?

What the Keenum fan club is missing is that people are not "anti-Keenum". They/we are anti-unfounded hype/ridiculous hyperbole/expectations. I think that most every fan of the Texans wants to see Keenum succeed.

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 09:02 PM
... Yes?

What the Keenum fan club is missing is that people are not "anti-Keenum". They/we are anti-unfounded hype/ridiculous hyperbole/expectations. I think that most every fan of the Texans wants to see Keenum succeed.

Spot on for me, msr

silvrhand
10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
... Yes?

100% agree, I'm not anti Keenum but I'm not pumping sunshine up my own ass because I don't think this is a great scenario for us. The chances that we have been stuffing an all pro-bowl QB that noone else knew about on our roster is very low.

- John

HTown2ATX
10-17-2013, 09:05 PM
... Yes?

I get that. But not all Keenum "supporters" are wanting to see him play because of some delusion of grandeur or some hype. It's because this team has become the definition of insanity and that frustration is pouring out in the form of wanting to see something different.

So it's the same type of frustration.

HTown2ATX
10-17-2013, 09:07 PM
100% agree, I'm not anti Keenum but I'm not pumping sunshine up my own ass because I don't think this is a great scenario for us. The chances that we have been stuffing an all pro-bowl QB that noone else knew about on our roster is very low.

- John

This is what is frustrating me....WHO is saying he is the next Pro Bowl QB? Did anyone read the OP?

W-H-O is saying he is the savior? I need to know who is instigating all this confusion??

I'm not saying he is the next Montana. You guys just want to keep seeing the same ole same ole?

Also, as most probably know, I am the bane of sunshine pumpers so there is none of that going on here.

:EDIT: that my frustration is not at you personally, I just don't get how half the fans are misreading the other half of the fans and vice versa.

utahmark
10-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm not anti-Keenum but I do think he gets way to much hype because he is a local kid. He's an undrafted former 3rd string Qb. If he was from anywhere else this would'nt be news at all. Add to that the fact that UofH QB's have really underperformed in the NFL and I don't have much faith. Although the fact that he's getting a chance says something about him. You guys have got me excited to see what happens anyway.

This team was'nt going anywhere so lets see what the kid has got. I'm way more excited for this weekend than I was. At the very least he has givin me an extra week hope.

It's the right choice to start him this week, I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

Corrosion
10-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Im not anti-Keenum. I hope he goes out there and plays well enough to make us forget about drafting a QB early in the next draft ....

I just don't have very high expectations. I saw a couple flaws in him during the preseason playing against mostly backups. Now he's going to face what appears to be the best defense in the NFL this season .... in his first ever regular season action.
I think that's a lot to ask and any expectations have to be tempered.

Hope he looks like Drew Brees on his best day ... but don't expect much.

I'd settle for a mistake free game - No INT's , no fumbles while making the right decisions and giving his receivers a chance to make plays .... win or lose.

I think one thing that's key to his success is taking the top off that defense. As it stands now , they aren't afraid of deep balls or big plays. The opposing DB's aren't afraid to gamble and jump routes because the consequences aren't significant - they give up 10 yards and the safety makes the tackle .... big deal , that's a solid risk vs reward for the defender.

They have to make them afraid of giving up 6 points instead of 10 yards .... and I really don't believe Schaub was capable of making the throws that increase the risk for the defense which is why we haven't seen them. If Keenum is .... that changes the dynamic of this entire offense.

silvrhand
10-17-2013, 09:29 PM
This is what is frustrating me....WHO is saying he is the next Pro Bowl QB? Did anyone read the OP?

W-H-O is saying he is the savior? I need to know who is instigating all this confusion??

I'm not saying he is the next Montana. You guys just want to keep seeing the same ole same ole?

Also, as most probably know, I am the bane of sunshine pumpers so there is none of that going on here.

:EDIT: that my frustration is not at you personally, I just don't get how half the fans are misreading the other half of the fans and vice versa.

No worries I'm very frustrated as well, we have way too much talent on this team to be 2-4 but it just goes to show us that the most important player is the QB. Man have you listened to the radio today, have you seen the 15 page Case Keenum thread?

I'm tired of messing around with Kubiak, I want a f'ing winner on this team from a coach, and a QB. I want a warrior, a fighter, a leader.. Not a friggin denny's menu...

So I guess my frustration is on multiple levels at this point.

PapaL
10-17-2013, 09:38 PM
... Yes?

That sums it up nicely.

Idgaf who the QB is, I will support him/her/it. I expect people to be just a hard as they would be on anyone else that is playing QB. If he makes a mistake, say it's a mistake and move on.

dream_team
10-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm not anti-Keenum as well, but I am hesitant that he'll come in and do better than Schaub. He may do better than Schaub the past 4 games, that's not too difficult. But I don't think he'll do better than the Schaub we've seen in the past. And yes, I do believe Schaub can regain his old form.

To be honest, I don't care who our QB is, I just want to win!

Speedy
10-17-2013, 09:51 PM
I just don't have very high expectations.

And realistically, we shouldn't have high excectations. He's an undrafted, unproven player. But that doesn't make him a never-will-be either.

I'm a fan of his. More so now that he's with the Texans as I would be less of a fan if he was with another team. From everything I've ever read, seen or heard about him, he studies the film and works his ass off. What that translates into, no one knows until he gets on the field. I do know what not doing the film study and thinking you can get by in this league on athleticism alone gets you. A sausage peddler.

Case gets his 1st shot Sunday. And that one shot Sunday really isn't going to answer any questions. If he plays poorly, it's his 1st ever game against an elite D. If he plays good, it's just one game. Even David Carr had a good game against somebody one time....probably. And it will be just one shot....for now. Schaub is back under center in 2 weeks for Indy. Make no mistake about that.

Does Case get a lot of hype because he's local? Yeah he does. So what? How often do we get to hype something up in this town?

b0ng
10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
I like Keenum but there are a few posters on this board that make him out to be greatly overlooked talent when I doubt that is what is happening. He will have to be fairly spectacular (whether that's fair or not) if he's going to start over an uninjured Schaub.

leebigeztx
10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
... Yes?

Spot on for me too. I never root against young guys.When posters start using college as a reason,that's part of my thing. I hope he plays well,but the elephant in the room is andrew luck. They have luck,we're starting a guy who wasn't drafted. Let that sink in.

chicagotexan2
10-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I like that he's a coog but realistically I'm not expecting much. I'm mostly sick of seeing what used to be a good QB regress into a rookie. I'm done with Yates playing like Schaub. I'd like to think he can succeed but the oline is below average on pass protection and hell still be running the same plays that helped doom the other 2 qbs. Like I said I'm ready to see if someone can do the job that the starter failed to accomplish which is to manage the game and not phk it up.

The Pencil Neck
10-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Prior to the season, I stated that I thought we should go with Schaub because of his experience in the system and because he gives us the best chance of winning by NOT making mistakes. He was at his best last year when he was working entirely within the system and not trying to pus things, just taking what the defense was giving whether that was the long ball (Denver) or the short ball (1st Jacksonville game.)

But the last several games (going back to last season), Schaub has not been that guy. He's making uncharacteristic mistakes and they look unforced. Sometimes guys get into slumps and have to play their way out of it. I've been waiting for Schaub to wake up and it hasn't been happening. (Although that last game was more on the rest of the team for me.)

I know a lot of people are touchy about this but I don't think Kubiak made a mistake by sticking with a guy he's had some success with and a guy he trusts. I'm not anti-Kubiak like a lot of people here. I think he's a good coach with a good team.

But.

I'm excited about Keenum. I'm excited to see what he can do when bullets start flying for real. I'm hoping he's a gamer and I'm hoping the rest of the team is going to rally around his spark.

I was hoping that we'd be able to draft a good QB next draft and have a year or two to develop him. But if Schaub doesn't turn his head around, then we don't have the year or two I thought we did. If that's the case, I hope Case is The Guy. I hope Case becomes the next Warner/Brady, an unheralded UDFA/late rounder taking over for an incumbent QB knocked out of the line-up by injury and leading his team to the Super Bowl.

He's my QB and he's on my team so I'm going to be rooting for him.

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 11:25 PM
I like Keenum but there are a few posters on this board that make him out to be greatly overlooked talent when I doubt that is what is happening. He will have to be fairly spectacular (whether that's fair or not) if he's going to start over an uninjured Schaub.

I think Schaub is good enough to win a Super Bowl. I think he's in a slump right now, but I believe he'll get back to at least his early 2011 form which is consistently better than average. I put him on par with Romo, Ryan, Flacco, & Eli... ring or no ring those guys aren't any different to me... well, they're very different QBs, but you get the same results. Play makers around them have to make plays if their teams are going to win Super Bowls.

& that's all I expect of Keenum, consistently above average. He doesn't have to be consistently above average this year, he's basically a rookie, but he's got to be above average from time to time. However, I hope he inspires the team to go into beast mode that we all know they are capable of achieving. If we ever had a shot at winning a Super Bowl with Schaub, this team is going to have to play a whole lot better than they have at anytime this year... both sides of the ball.

I don't want to see this team consistently give up TDs on drives more than 50 yards, even to the Bradies, Rodgers, Breeses, & Peytons of the league. That's the way a #1 defense plays. We're handing out 90 yard drives to Jake Locker & Joe Flacco....... that can't happen. They start on the other side of the 50, we should expect to give up no points unless it's Brady, Rodgers, Brees, or Peyton & even then shouldn't be more than a FG more often than not.

I want to see us consistently convert 3rd down, especially 3rd & 1... we should expect it & unless we're in the Super Bowl our coach should not have to be in a position where we have to go for it on 4th & 1. I want him to make that decision throughout the season, I just don't want him to have to unless we're in the Super Bowl.

If this team steps it up a notch, I don't care about Keenum's stats other than turnovers. He can't lose games for us. If he gets leveled in the backfield, he can't lose the ball. Schaub is still pretty good about that. He can't throw multiple INTs a game.... He can't make bad decisions like Tj did on both of his INTs (the first one was telegraphed, the second has a poor decision to not set his feet before making that throw).

If this team continues to play the way it has, Keenum can't do anything to convince me not to clean house. Defensive Coordinator, HC, & QB has got to go.

ArlingtonTexan
10-17-2013, 11:26 PM
... Yes?

- John

These have typed what I have been posting/thinking.

That said, I am not going stop wishing the best for "hope and change" keenum if he has a bad game against the hottest pass rush in the league. One good or bad game does not make a career. Remember Matt Flynn once dropped 6TDs in a real NFL game, and could not keep a QB job after two teams gave him real $$$$.

WolverineFan
10-17-2013, 11:40 PM
... Yes?

Nailed it.

We're all rooting for him. Nobody wants to see him fail. But his little fan club here walks around with ridiculous unfounded hype and a huge chip on its shoulder.

Texanmike02
10-17-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm a Texans fan. I don't care about the number or the name attached to the jersey, I'm a Texans fan. If Derek Carr's older brother can come here and win a super bowl, I'm down. I really don't care. If Schaub gets traded to Dallas he will be as close as it gets to my mortal enemy.

I am neither a Case fan or "anti-Case". I said at the outset of the season that if Schaub wasn't healthy that Case was our only hope to win and I stand by that. Yates is a less talented more mobile version of Schaub. If we threaten to start "Schaub or Yates" the defense just prepares for Schaub and doesn't worry about Yates because he is Schaub lite. Case though, is more dynamic. We don't know what he can do but we don't know what he can't do either. I'm excited to see him start and I hope he will do well. I'm not sure what I think he'll do though.

I can remember when we were in the middle of our second season we had a kid come in that a lot of people thought was going to be better than HWWNBN. Of course he started 2 games and after he left Houston he went on to win a league MVP and 10 years later he's a QB coach for our mortal enemies, the Titans. I don't think the offense scored a point in the two games he played for use either.

Boards were lit up with excitement though because people just knew that he was sooo talented. It didn't work. I remember when Moon struggled and everybody want Cody to start.

I'm not saying that will happen to Case. I actually think he's pretty talented and stands a chance to have a better year than Matt if Matt isn't going to regain mobility because our next ESPN commercial might have number 8, a center and a left tackle.

Honestly though, if we don't get our team more disciplined we don't stand a chance against anyone, ergo the Rams game. Maybe THAT was the wakeup call, who knows.

Mike

SchaubApologist
10-17-2013, 11:59 PM

I disagree. He needs to play well enough to win. If we start winning again, Keenum is not going back to the bench.

SchaubApologist
10-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Nailed it.

We're all rooting for him. Nobody wants to see him fail. But his little fan club here walks around with ridiculous unfounded hype and a huge chip on its shoulder.

Isn't it ABOUT TIME we have a texans player with a "chip on his shoulder"????

htownfan32
10-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Isn't it ABOUT TIME we have a texans player with a "chip on his shoulder"????

We're not talking about players. We're talking about his fan club on this board that posts links to Brady videos and draws Brees comparisons and then gets upset when the rest of us don't see it.

Every real Texans fan wants Keenum to go out Sunday afternoon and totally kill it. The difference is the degrees of sunshine some of us have been pumping up our asses about whether he will or not.

hradhak
10-18-2013, 06:34 AM
I think Keenum has enough talent to be a good QB in this league. The trouble for guys that come in as perennial backups is that they don't get enough play time to ever fully evaluate their talent level . Not that they all should get playing time.

Right now, Keenum gives us the best shot to win Sunday, that's the reason he should be out there. We will have to see how he plays before we anoint the second coming though.

Thorn
10-18-2013, 06:42 AM
I've been drinking the Keenum Kool-Aid for a while now, but until we see him in real action against a real NFL defense, not a single one of us knows how he will be. This could be a total disaster or the start of a new Texan era or anything in between.

All I'm saying is I HOPE Keenum is the savior and I'm glad as hell he's finally getting a shot. As a lot of folks say, the sooner we find out the sooner we'll know our QB situation and can begin to prepare for it.

thunderkyss
10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Right now, Keenum gives us the best shot to win Sunday, that's the reason he should be out there. We will have to see how he plays before we anoint the second coming though.

I don't know that to be true. This game is so different from the college game & the preseason is closer to the college game than a true NFL game that we have no clue. On top of that, people act different when they're "the man" & right now, Keenum is "the man" for the first time in his NFL career.

Keenum is starting Sunday, because Yates blew his opportunity. This is Case's opportunity to earn a starting job. This is his opportunity to prove that he gives us as good, if not better "shot to win" than Matt Schaub (the guy who would have put Peyton Manning back on the airplane if he ever showed up in Houston).

gafftop
10-18-2013, 07:38 AM
I know after watching MS and miniMS I would be for whoever was the third string QB if he was unknown. Case just happens to be the one in that position.

He did you look promising in PRESEASON.

At least will we learn what we have in QBs so that we can effectively plan for next year. It won't take much to be better than what we have been so far at the QB position. At least we have hope and who knows.......

2012Champs
10-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I disagree. He needs to play well enough to win. If we start winning again, Keenum is not going back to the bench.

A win alone won't keep the starter spot. If case wins 14-10. 10-6 Schaub will come back if healthy. Case would have to dominate to keep the spot

gafftop
10-18-2013, 07:47 AM
A win alone won't keep the starter spot. If case wins 14-10. 10-6 Schaub will come back if healthy. Case would have to dominate to keep the spot

If he wins he starts unless we win in spite of Case. I just hope he makes it through the game in one piece. Even GK is not that INSANE.

I hope.

Thorn
10-18-2013, 07:50 AM
If he wins he starts unless we win in spite of Case. I just hope he makes it through the game in one piece. Even GK is not that INSANE.

I hope.

Kubiak wants to keep his job. If Case proves he can win, he'll stay.

otisbean
10-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Spot on for me too. I never root against young guys.When posters start using college as a reason,that's part of my thing. I hope he plays well,but the elephant in the room is andrew luck. They have luck,we're starting a guy who wasn't drafted. Let that sink in.

?????? Not sure I'm following you.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 08:10 AM
So after reading the thread so far, it seems most are more upset about the supposed "hype" about Case than Case himself.

But I'm still confused because I don't know that the majority of "pro-Keenum" fans think he is the answer. If someone is posting highlights of Brady or something I could see doing that just as a rebuttal to someone making a blanket statement that Keenum sucks because he was undrafted. Both arguments are ridiculous and invalid IMO.

But the point is, majority of "Keenumites" or whatever you want to say just want to A) see a change almost for change's sake and B) want to give the kid a shot because let's face it C) realistically, this season is quickly swirling the bowl.

I guess that is more the angle I'm looking at it from and I assume most other Keenum "fans" are.

Thorn
10-18-2013, 08:16 AM
So after reading the thread so far, it seems most are more upset about the supposed "hype" about Case than Case himself.

But I'm still confused because I don't know that the majority of "pro-Keenum" fans think he is the answer. If someone is posting highlights of Brady or something I could see doing that just as a rebuttal to someone making a blanket statement that Keenum sucks because he was undrafted. Both arguments are ridiculous and invalid IMO.

But the point is, majority of "Keenumites" or whatever you want to say just want to A) see a change almost for change's sake and B) want to give the kid a shot because let's face it C) realistically, this season is quickly swirling the bowl.

I guess that is more the angle I'm looking at it from and I assume most other Keenum "fans" are.

Add a large amount of "hope" and "praying to the football gods" and that's pretty much where I'm at. I just want to win. That's all. It would be sweet if home town boy makes good.

IDEXAN
10-18-2013, 08:24 AM
My foremost objective for the Texans is for them to win, and whoever gives the Texans the best chance to win, I'm all for him. If it's Keenum great, but since I'm very skeptical that any guy who's never taken a snap in a regular season game in the NFL can be the Texans savior, does that make me part of the
"anti-Keenum crowd" ?

robroy72
10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
My foremost objective for the Texans is for them to win, and whoever gives the Texans the best chance to win, I'm all for him. If it's Keenum great, but since I'm very skeptical that any guy who's never taken a snap in a regular season game in the NFL can be the Texans savior, does that make me part of the
"anti-Keenum crowd" ?

I was about to say the same thing. I'm not anti-CK - just realistic about the likely outcome of this scenario.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 09:55 AM
I was about to say the same thing. I'm not anti-CK - just realistic about the likely outcome of this scenario.

Understood.

But, what is the realistic outcome of a scenario in starting Schaub or Yates over and over and over with these results?

Thorn
10-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Understood.

But, what is the realistic outcome of a scenario in starting Schaub or Yates over and over and over with these results?

If Case can't do it, at least we know it. That's means getting a new QB for sure. One way or the other, this needs to be answered.

TexanBacker93
10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
... Yes?

That's pretty much how I view most people around here. Skepticism isn't the same thing. I'm pro-Keenum. I don't know what to expect and that's why I'd rather see him. I know what we have in the others. Maybe Keenum will be great. Maybe he'll be solid. Maybe he'll struggle. I still think he should be the guy for the rest of the season, though. The team needs to know what it has in him. We could win in the playoffs in spite of the other 2, but we can't win because of them. Why not at least see if Keenum can get it done?

Double Barrel
10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
I hope for the best, but prepare for reality. :howdy:

At 2-4 this team is desperate. Most fans entered this season taking a playoff spot for granted, that this team would secure the division again, and just needed to focus on winning "big games".

Obviously, that is no longer an expectation for most fans, and the reality is that the season is starting to circle the drain just 6 games into it. And it's not just the record, but the way the team is playing as a whole and how they are losing games as a team.

I keep hearing the word "spark" with Case. From the head coach on down, the burden of trying to breath some life into this team and maybe save a season rests on his young, inexperienced shoulders.

The kid is either going to rise to the occasion or wilt under pressure. Most of us hope for the former, but just be prepared for the latter. NFL history is full of examples of players being put in situations over their heads and sinking. All we can do is hope that we have that 1 in a 100 player that has some kind of destiny to be great. But we won't know until it happens.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
If Case can't do it, at least we know it. That's means getting a new QB for sure. One way or the other, this needs to be answered.

That's basically exactly my sentiment. I think a lot of "anti-keenum" (I realize now not everyone is necessarily under that label but I don't know what else to call it) people think there is still hope for a SB run or something this year so they want someone they feel can help make that happen.

I hate to be the rain cloud that ruins the day but...........that aint happenin'.........so let's see what Keenum has. I just can't fathom why anyone would be against that with this season. It's not like the Texans are 6-0 and we're clamoring for this.

Playoffs
10-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Yep.

Have Kubiak/Denneson done enough self-scouting to figure where they have been tipping their playcalling?

GNTLEWOLF
10-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm afraid the reality is that he will wilt under the pressure, and I'm not so sure that if he were actually handed the keys to the offense and turned loose that would be the case (no pun intended). I think what Kubiak will do is restrict him to such a degree that it will insure failure. I don't think that Kubiak has any intention to do so, but it is like he just can't help himself. He has to always be in total control. Let's follow the script and don't deviate. I'm not sure if any Hall of fame QB you can name throughout history would be able to survive and make good under that kind of restriction. I don't expect to see Case being able to be Case at all. I think it will be Schaub 3.0, in which case Texans lose big.

thunderkyss
10-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I keep hearing the word "spark" with Case. From the head coach on down, the burden of trying to breath some life into this team and maybe save a season rests on his young, inexperienced shoulders.

The kid is either going to rise to the occasion or wilt under pressure.

All he needs to do is not do anything stoopid. This team needs that spark more than anything, something to get them to play the way they were put together to play. We were built to win with Matt Schaub, dominant run game, dominant defense, clean efficient play from the QB.

If he turns into a player, a play-maker, that's icing.

But if they don't "spark" then it's the coach they laid down on, not the QB.

thunderkyss
10-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I hate to be the rain cloud that ruins the day but...........that aint happenin'.........so let's see what Keenum has. I just can't fathom why anyone would be against that with this season. It's not like the Texans are 6-0 and we're clamoring for this.

I am definitely against the "let's see what we've got" crowd. Whether we can win a Super Bowl or not is irrelevant. We're not mathematically out of the play off race, we're not even mathematically out of the division race. Now's not the time to be holding tryouts for the QB situation when you're probably going to be drafting a QB anyway.

The primary goal Sunday should be to walk out of Arrowhead with a victory.

badboy
10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I fall down laughing at all the college rah rah "my team" fans who are not currently enrolled. I get having a sports team to root for but to go bonkers, destroy property or want to fight another person is junior highesh to me. Last weekend, I was at a neighbor's whom I've known for 4 years to eat steak & watch football. Texas Tech vs Iowa State (1-3) one of the games we were to flip between. His bipolar brother shows up & before we are through first quarter he is pumping new coach as greatest & TT as a great team. I said "Look, I like the coach TT is good but let's see how they do rest of season". Well that went over like screen door on submarine. Game became secondary & brother Mike began getting louder & calling me crazy & talking out my a-s-s. I replied, "why are you getting angry? Listen, TT is not one of the top schools that coaches want to go to." He & my neighbor "top 10. top 10" I said not even top 30. Mike tries to get his fat butt off couch saying "you are fixing to get your ass kicked! You are talking about my school like you just called my daughter a slut!"

Wait..what? I poured my tea down sink , thought wistfully about ribeye on grill & left. Of course, I had to research & knock on Tom's door with Texas Tech currently rated # 41 in nation for coaches job. Game result Tech won 42-35 (hardly great).

Look, if you watched Keenum in college, he is a very good QB with some mechanical flaws like every college QB. He could be Brees or not. Why take a position until we see him play?

dream_team
10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Prior to the season, I stated that I thought we should go with Schaub because of his experience in the system and because he gives us the best chance of winning by NOT making mistakes. He was at his best last year when he was working entirely within the system and not trying to pus things, just taking what the defense was giving whether that was the long ball (Denver) or the short ball (1st Jacksonville game.)

But the last several games (going back to last season), Schaub has not been that guy. He's making uncharacteristic mistakes and they look unforced. Sometimes guys get into slumps and have to play their way out of it. I've been waiting for Schaub to wake up and it hasn't been happening. (Although that last game was more on the rest of the team for me.)

I know a lot of people are touchy about this but I don't think Kubiak made a mistake by sticking with a guy he's had some success with and a guy he trusts. I'm not anti-Kubiak like a lot of people here. I think he's a good coach with a good team.

But.

I'm excited about Keenum. I'm excited to see what he can do when bullets start flying for real. I'm hoping he's a gamer and I'm hoping the rest of the team is going to rally around his spark.

I was hoping that we'd be able to draft a good QB next draft and have a year or two to develop him. But if Schaub doesn't turn his head around, then we don't have the year or two I thought we did. If that's the case, I hope Case is The Guy. I hope Case becomes the next Warner/Brady, an unheralded UDFA/late rounder taking over for an incumbent QB knocked out of the line-up by injury and leading his team to the Super Bowl.

He's my QB and he's on my team so I'm going to be rooting for him.

I couldn't have said it any better!

If a player is struggling, you have to give him a chance to play out of it. If we immediately got rid of every player that struggled, then we'd be in constant search of perfect players that don't exist.

Now getting that out of the way... lets go Case!!!

EllisUnit
10-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Luck plays for the colts, what does that have to do with anything that was mentioned in this thread. The chiefs have smith, not luck.

robroy72
10-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Understood.

Well, I think most of our problems relate to Kubiak's plays being available on video for anyone who wants to see them! Schaub is horrible at making something out of a play where the D knows whats coming, Yates isn't any better and has lockin syndrome on Andre; Keenum can't be any worse, I would think. But if Kubiak puts him in there with the denny's menu and expects different results, I think we'll be watching the same thing come Sunday.

This goes back to the end of last season, though, not just the beginning of this one. Teams know how we're coming out and the teams with an above average D are capable of stopping us easily.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
But if Kubiak puts him in there with the denny's menu and expects different results, I think we'll be watching the same thing come Sunday.

Now this I 100% agree with and is a huge concern for me too!

dream_team
10-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Teams know how we're coming out and the teams with an above average D are capable of stopping us easily.

The Seahawks had a hard time stopping us. I know they didn't score at all in the 2nd half, but I think that was mainly the Texans killing themselves. Kubiak draws up some good plays, but it's dependent on the players executing.

htownfan32
10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I fall down laughing at all the college rah rah "my team" fans who are not currently enrolled. I get having a sports team to root for but to go bonkers, destroy property or want to fight another person is junior highesh to me. Last weekend, I was at a neighbor's whom I've known for 4 years to eat steak & watch football. Texas Tech vs Iowa State (1-3) one of the games we were to flip between. His bipolar brother shows up & before we are through first quarter he is pumping new coach as greatest & TT as a great team. I said "Look, I like the coach TT is good but let's see how they do rest of season". Well that went over like screen door on submarine. Game became secondary & brother Mike began getting louder & calling me crazy & talking out my a-s-s. I replied, "why are you getting angry? Listen, TT is not one of the top schools that coaches want to go to." He & my neighbor "top 10. top 10" I said not even top 30. Mike tries to get his fat butt off couch saying "you are fixing to get your ass kicked! You are talking about my school like you just called my daughter a slut!"

Wait..what? I poured my tea down sink , thought wistfully about ribeye on grill & left. Of course, I had to research & knock on Tom's door with Texas Tech currently rated # 41 in nation for coaches job. Game result Tech won 42-35 (hardly great).

Look, if you watched Keenum in college, he is a very good QB with some mechanical flaws like every college QB. He could be Brees or not. Why take a position until we see him play?

Well... it was a Tech fan. :kitten:

Only kidding, any red raiders we have on this board :D

Vinny
10-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Keenum's day is going to live or die behind how Kubiak runs the offense. If he tries to hide the quarterback then we will all be frustrated. I don't know why anyone would think we would open up the offense now. Kubiak is gonna run that same underneath route, two te plodding offense that won't challenge the back end. This is gonna be a runfest with a big serving of 23. Chiefs have struggled vs the run so this gives us our best chance to win so I think we will be pretty darn conservative. If we get behind it's gonna get rough.

TexansSeminole
10-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, there are six Case Keenum threads already on the front page of the main forum and he was just announced as the starter. He hasn't even played yet.

It's just a lot of hype for an undrafted player. I honestly don't see any hate for Keenum or any anti-Keenum at all, but there sure is a ton of Keenum lovers. Most of them are ripping Yates after he was put in a terrible lose-lose situation.

Desperation slaps critical thinking ability around quickly it seems.

I'm afraid the reality is that he will wilt under the pressure, and I'm not so sure that if he were actually handed the keys to the offense and turned loose that would be the case (no pun intended). I think what Kubiak will do is restrict him to such a degree that it will insure failure. I don't think that Kubiak has any intention to do so, but it is like he just can't help himself. He has to always be in total control. Let's follow the script and don't deviate. I'm not sure if any Hall of fame QB you can name throughout history would be able to survive and make good under that kind of restriction. I don't expect to see Case being able to be Case at all. I think it will be Schaub 3.0, in which case Texans lose big.

It's stuff like this that makes people verbally pump the breaks on the "Keenum is special" crowd.

badboy
10-18-2013, 12:19 PM

At 2-4 this team is desperate. Most fans entered this season taking a playoff spot for granted, that this team would secure the division again, and just needed to focus on winning "big games".

Obviously, that is no longer an expectation for most fans, and the reality is that the season is starting to circle the drain just 6 games into it. And it's not just the record, but the way the team is playing as a whole and how they are losing games as a team.

The kid is either going to rise to the occasion or wilt under pressure. Most of us hope for the former, but just be prepared for the latter. NFL history is full of examples of players being put in situations over their heads and sinking. All we can do is hope that we have that 1 in a 100 player that has some kind of destiny to be great. But we won't know until it happens.For me I agree he is NFL inexperienced but has experience in being underdog, and too short. He has experience in proving to coaches, teammates, opponents and fans he can win. He can pass, manage a game, motivate and win. He has no NFL experience because he has not played in a game; just like any other QB that has not played a game. Be optimistic or pessimistic as either can be supported until about 6:30 Sunday, then we might know a bit more. Sure everything has been pretty good but he is going against Chief's D. He is going against them with the Texans' first string offense and the 1st string defense. He has not done that before either.

Vinny
10-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Desperation slaps critical thinking ability around quickly it seems.

It's stuff like this that makes people verbally pump the breaks on the "Keenum is special" crowd. If Case was from the University of Hawaii there wouldn't be this reaction...gotta include the home town kid factor.

TexansSeminole
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
If Case was from the University of Hawaii there wouldn't be this reaction...gotta include the home town kid factor.

I made the same point in the ... one of the Keenum threads anyway. Except I used Akron.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I am definitely against the "let's see what we've got" crowd. Whether we can win a Super Bowl or not is irrelevant. We're not mathematically out of the play off race, we're not even mathematically out of the division race. Now's not the time to be holding tryouts for the QB situation when you're probably going to be drafting a QB anyway.

The primary goal Sunday should be to walk out of Arrowhead with a victory.

Which walking out with a victory is of course the goal but what QB actually gives you confidence? I thought you had jumped off the Schaub train? Are you on the Yates train or just anyone but Keenum train? (Not attacking you, just confused)

So, in a SB or bust year, with the talent on this team, just getting to the playoffs is good enough? And if so, we're expecting to win with Schaub or Yates? :thinking:

This seems like the acceptance of mediocrity mindset to me. Especially if you think we're going to draft a QB next year as you said. So why wouldn't we see what Keenum has again before we draft someone?

I'm confused.

Thorn
10-18-2013, 12:29 PM
If Case was from the University of Hawaii there wouldn't be this reaction...gotta include the home town kid factor.

Exactly. We'd still be wanting him to start just to check him out, but there wouldn't be this much buzz. At work yesterday it was pretty much all the "water cooler" talk with the UH alumni going nuts. :lol:

And I'm guilty of it as well. Not that I have a problem with it. It's the first genuinely positive thing to happen around these parts in a while.

TexansSeminole
10-18-2013, 12:30 PM
So, in a SB or bust year, with the talent on this team, just getting to the playoffs is good enough? And if so, we're expecting to win with Schaub or Yates? :thinking:

This seems like the acceptance of mediocrity mindset to me. Especially if you think we're going to draft a QB next year as you said. So why wouldn't we see what Keenum has again before we draft someone?

I'm confused.

I'm confused too, but I honestly can't tell if TK just takes the opposing side of things for the hell of it anymore, so I just overlook it.

"Find out what we got," is the only crowd out there. That's the only situation that is possible. Schaub is injured and cannot play. Yates and, moreso, Keenum have yet to show us who they are. So, not sure what crowd he's in.

b0ng
10-18-2013, 12:33 PM

That said, I am not going stop wishing the best for "hope and change" keenum if he has a bad game against the hottest pass rush in the league. One good or bad game does not make a career. Remember Matt Flynn once dropped 6TDs in a real NFL game, and could not keep a QB job after two teams gave him real $$$$.

There is no Aaron Rodgers to take his spot back so if Keenum took a giant **** on the Chiefs defense he'd pretty much have to be a starter after that or Kubiak would probably end up with his head on a stick somewhere in 5th ward.

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 12:36 PM

It's not "supposed" hype...i rode into work this morning listening to guys comparing him to Tom Brady...going on sunshine filled rants about how he was going to be the next great qb in this league...The hype is definitely real.

But to get back on topic, lots of people have nailed it for me. The hype surrounding what he "can" do/be is trumping the reality of what he's likely to do/be......I refuse to hyped about it until i get something to base the hype on....& sorry, youtube videos of college tape & a few preseason plays don't do it for me...

TexansSeminole
10-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Keenum's day is going to live or die behind how Kubiak runs the offense. If he tries to hide the quarterback then we will all be frustrated. I don't know why anyone would think we would open up the offense now. Kubiak is gonna run that same underneath route, two te plodding offense that won't challenge the back end. This is gonna be a runfest with a big serving of 23. Chiefs have struggled vs the run so this gives us our best chance to win so I think we will be pretty darn conservative. If we get behind it's gonna get rough.

I'm not sure what is the best strategy for this game, I haven't seen a lot of the Chiefs. All I know is that they have a very talented and young defense and their secondary is boss (as far as talent).

I do think that Schaub is a huge reason as to why we don't open up the offense. He is just not good at it. His throws don't have a lot of velocity and his deep balls are pretty consistently inside and often under thrown. I'm sure Kubiak knows that, he's seen it more often than we have. We really haven't seen enough of Kubiak without Schaub to know how he will handle things with Case. We've got the players to challenge people downfield. We don't have great speed but Hopkins and Andre both have had success on deep routes, even when the ball is not well thrown.

thunderkyss
10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Which walking out with a victory is of course the goal but what QB actually gives you confidence? I thought you had jumped off the Schaub train? Are you on the Yates train or just anyone but Keenum train? (Not attacking you, just confused)

All I'm saying is that I hope Kubiak made this decision because he thinks Keenum gives us the best chance to win.

I was expecting this team to win the Super Bowl with a QB who efficiently operated this offense. With Schaub or Yates, I felt we had a good chance. But that was before we saw what we saw over the last 6 weeks. With Keenum, just getting to the play offs would be a success to me & I think the team would be able to carry him farther. I don't know how much farther.

I'm hoping that Case Keenum can be our Colin Kaepernick

I'm confused.

Once we're out of the division/play off race, yes, lets run everyone out there who might make a decent QB so we the fans can see what we've got. While we've still got a chance, no matter how small I want whoever gives us the best chance to win. I don't care if it's Tj, Keenum, Schaub, or Lechler.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 12:57 PM
It's not "supposed" hype...i rode into work this morning listening to guys comparing him to Tom Brady...going on sunshine filled rants about how he was going to be the next great qb in this league...The hype is definitely real.

But to get back on topic, lots of people have nailed it for me. The hype surrounding what he "can" do/be is trumping the reality of what he's likely to do/be......I refuse to hyped about it until i get something to base the hype on....& sorry, youtube videos of college tape & a few preseason plays don't do it for me...

Ew, what station was that? I know 610 gets no respect but that is the only one I listen to and I listen from 7 to 4 every day and I didn't hear that so I assume that was one of the guys on the other stations?

No college videos shouldn't do it for anyone, however, if someone is going to use the "he didn't get drafted/was a low round pick" argument then yes, showing that video is a valid rebuttal. Draft order proves nothing in the end sometimes.

2012Champs
10-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Ew, what station was that? I know 610 gets no respect but that is the only one I listen to and I listen from 7 to 4 every day and I didn't hear that so I assume that was one of the guys on the other stations?

No college videos shouldn't do it for anyone, however, if someone is going to use the "he didn't get drafted/was a low round pick" argument then yes, showing that video is a valid rebuttal. Draft order proves nothing in the end sometimes.

while draft order isnt concrete going undrafted is usually a sign you will not be a starter in the nfl and while you can beat the odds they are enormously stacked against you

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 01:04 PM
All I'm saying is that I hope Kubiak made this decision because he thinks Keenum gives us the best chance to win.

I was expecting this team to win the Super Bowl with a QB who efficiently operated this offense. With Schaub or Yates, I felt we had a good chance. But that was before we saw what we saw over the last 6 weeks. With Keenum, just getting to the play offs would be a success to me & I think the team would be able to carry him farther. I don't know how much farther.

I'm hoping that Case Keenum can be our Colin Kaepernick

Once we're out of the division/play off race, yes, lets run everyone out there who might make a decent QB so we the fans can see what we've got. While we've still got a chance, no matter how small I want whoever gives us the best chance to win. I don't care if it's Tj, Keenum, Schaub, or Lechler.

I guess our main disagreement then is what direction this season is realistically heading which is fair. I may be more jaded than others.

76Texan
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
while draft order isnt concrete going undrafted is usually a sign you will not be a starter in the nfl and while you can beat the odds they are enormously stacked against you

On the other hand, there have been a gazillion of players that held on to their spot only because of their draft status; that limits the opportunity for the other guys; just ask Foster.

2012Champs
10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
On the other hand, there have been a gazillion of players that held on to their spot only because of their draft status; that limits the opportunity for the other guys; just ask Foster.

the foster example is way over used here and foster himself I believe made mention before that he wasnt putting in the work that he should have been in practice and once he realized the opportunity that was possible he got his sh!t together

Further UDFA RB moving to NFL leader is rare so lets not use it as though its common. Same goes with UDFA QB making it to a starting roll and then keeping it

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 01:29 PM

It was 790....Cooke & Kalu show....

I've never used the draft or low round pick argument..but it still doesn't mean that it can't be used.

I'm simply basing my thoughts on logic & reality.

For all the talk about how terrible Yates is, what does it say about Keenum seeing as though he couldn't separate himself away from him when the 2 were battling for the #2 spot? Yes Kubiak likely went with what he knew in Yates over the unknown Keenum, but if he was truly that much better than Yates, i have a hard time believing Kubiak would've waited as long as he did to elevate..much less not go ahead & give him the #2 spot over Yates.

I'm also sick of the mobility thing too...Yes, he's more mobile than Schaub & Yates, but this isn't Mike Vick we're talking about here....Moving around & working the pocket is more than just being able to move faster....Watching seattle last night, for every good play Wilson made with his mobility, he was sacked or hit in the backfield trying to get out of the way of the rush.

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
the foster example is way over used here and foster himself I believe made mention before that he wasnt putting in the work that he should have been in practice and once he realized the opportunity that was possible he got his sh!t together

Further UDFA RB moving to NFL leader is rare so lets not use it as though its common. Same goes with UDFA QB making it to a starting roll and then keeping it

The other thing about the Foster example is that most thought he was a 2nd-3rd round talent coming out...Him going undrafted was largely b/c he interviewed bad at the combine or somewhere...

i believe he also has said in the past that he had many offers to go sign with other teams...he chose to come to Houston b/c he felt like he had the best shot to become a starter here.....& the zone blocking system fit him better.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 01:38 PM

I've never used the draft or low round pick argument..but it still doesn't mean that it can't be used.

I'm simply basing my thoughts on logic & reality.

For all the talk about how terrible Yates is, what does it say about Keenum seeing as though he couldn't separate himself away from him when the 2 were battling for the #2 spot? Yes Kubiak likely went with what he knew in Yates over the unknown Keenum, but if he was truly that much better than Yates, i have a hard time believing Kubiak would've waited as long as he did to elevate..much less not go ahead & give him the #2 spot over Yates.

I'm also sick of the mobility thing too...Yes, he's more mobile than Schaub & Yates, but this isn't Mike Vick we're talking about here....Moving around & working the pocket is more than just being able to move faster....

Wasn't accusing you specifically of making the low draft round argument....I can't be omniscient and read all posts but was addressing that argument in general.

As far as Kubiak on the bolded part.......dude.....you know how stubborn/loyal he is.

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Wasn't accusing you specifically of making the low draft round argument....I can't be omniscient and read all posts but was addressing that argument in general.

As far as Kubiak on the bolded part.......dude.....you know how stubborn/loyal he is.

Yeah, i know..I acknowledged as much...but so stubborn to ignore such a great talent like many people believe Keenum is here? I don't think so.

I think it's just the fact that he's got nothing to lose at this point. If the kid goes into KC & shows out...great, maybe we can salvage this season & i can ride this on out for another year.

If he doesn't, well he throws up his hands.."i'm all out moves"

EllisUnit
10-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Exactly. We'd still be wanting him to start just to check him out, but there wouldn't be this much buzz. At work yesterday it was pretty much all the "water cooler" talk with the UH alumni going nuts. :lol:

And I'm guilty of it as well. Not that I have a problem with it. It's the first genuinely positive thing to happen around these parts in a while.

i dont agree, he hold NCAA passing yards and TD record, he looked dang good in the Pre season. There have always been camp favorites who have a big fan base based on potential. Keenum is really the last hope for many, Schaub was sucking it up, we know what yates can do.

This is a situation we have not faced to often as a franchise, and right now its the grass is greener on the other side kind of situation.

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 02:03 PM
i dont agree, he hold NCAA passing yards and TD record, he looked dang good in the Pre season. There have always been camp favorites who have a big fan base based on potential. Keenum is really the last hope for many, Schaub was sucking it up, we know what yates can do.

This is a situation we have not faced to often as a franchise, and right now its the grass is greener on the other side kind of situation.

but see that's the thing...rare is the grass ever greener on the other side with most things.

EllisUnit
10-18-2013, 02:05 PM
but see that's the thing...rare is the grass ever greener on the other side with most things.

i agree with that, but the grass is already dying on this side, so we dont have much of a choice but to see what the grass looks like on the other side.

TheMatrix31
10-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Sure I'll afford Keenum the same rope. Why? Because I'm a rational fan and I realize that backup QBs are backups for a reason until they prove otherwise. And to be clear, I'm not "pro"-anything or "anti"-anything other than being pro-Houston Texans and anti-losing. I don't care which QB or coach leads us to success so long as we do. If Keenum and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If Schaub and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If neither are, so be it.

But if Keenum goes on to win or at least look very good but we lose a couple of those games eliminating us from real playoff contention, sooner or later the Keenum Cultists are going to be pissed that we're not losing to help our draft position.

Perpetually Insatiable (tm)

Exascor
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
And to be clear, I'm not "pro"-anything or "anti"-anything other than being pro-Houston Texans and anti-losing. I don't care which QB or coach leads us to success so long as we do. If Keenum and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If Schaub and Kubiak are the guys, so be it. If neither are, so be it.This is pretty much me in a nutshell. The only thing I'd add is that it would be pretty much a fairy tail ending if Kubiak, Phillips & Keenum (all with Houston ties) lead the Texans to a Lombardi. If they can't/don't - them give me someone that can/will.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
i agree with that, but the grass is already dying on this side, so we dont have much of a choice but to see what the grass looks like on the other side.

Exactly....it's simple IMO

Double Barrel
10-18-2013, 02:24 PM

It must have been Kalu saying the rainbow stuff, because Greg Koch thinks its feeding Keenum to the wolves this weekend. Kalu tends to be more optimistic about things, but Koch considers himself a realist.

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
It must have been Kalu saying the rainbow stuff, because Greg Koch thinks its feeding Keenum to the wolves this weekend. Kalu tends to be more optimistic about things, but Koch considers himself a realist.

No, i was talking about the callers who were calling in...

HTown2ATX
10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
No, i was talking about the callers who were calling in...

Oh....well yeah man, I mean that's talk radio callers for you. You gotta ignore them for the most part when listening (not breaking news I know....just saying)

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Oh....well yeah man, I mean that's talk radio callers for you. You gotta ignore them for the most part when listening (not breaking news I know....just saying)

Lol....yeah i alternate between 610 & 790..largely b/c of the callers...i just cringe & can't believe some of the stuff they say sometimes.

someone with a stupid take (or Zeirlein & Clanton go on their dumb ass tangents) comes on 790 i switch to 610...someone with a stupid take comes on 610 i go back to 790...

If both have callers on with stupid takes i go to mike & mike on 97.5.

Norg
10-18-2013, 02:45 PM
RG III
LUCK
WILSON
TANAHILL
KAPERNICK

all came out the gate winning right I expect the same think for Keenum if not this game then deff the next game at home

Mr teX
10-18-2013, 02:49 PM
RG III
LUCK
WILSON
TANAHILL
KAPERNICK

all came out the gate winning right I expect the same think for Keenum if not this game then deff the next game at home

All of those guys also have better HC's than we do too...well, maybe not so much Tanehill..jury is still out on their coach.

2012Champs
10-18-2013, 03:12 PM
RG III
LUCK
WILSON
TANAHILL
KAPERNICK

well if you expect the same from Case as the above you might have set the bar very high for him

htownfan32
10-18-2013, 03:12 PM
All of those guys also have better HC's than we do too...well, maybe not so much Tanehill..jury is still out on their coach.

I dunno, I don't think Philbin's just a schmuck. The Dolphins just need some cohesiveness and for Brady to retire and they'll be on top of the AFC East, with some competition for the Jets if Geno continues improving.

drs23
10-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Flynn and Kevin Kolb who's buried on the bottom of the depth chart in Buffalo. Dating back to Klingler, Ware and these four guys don't necessarily give one the warm-n-fuzzies about record setting QBs outta UH. I'm hoping that Keenum will shatter that mold.

I'm pulling for the kid to do very well. Just sucks that the arena at which he makes his debut is one of the toughest places in the NFL to make his first start.

If he can do it there he can do it anywhere.

Here's dreaming...

Vance87
10-18-2013, 05:06 PM
people need to wait and at least let him suck before passing judgement. NFL history is littered with QBs who werent heralded coming out of college never got drafted barely got drafted, and still went on to become successful nfl QB.

Keenum is that guy. He has that it factor. He has two intangibles right off the bat that Schaub doesnt have:

1. A great qb name.

2. He's a good looking guy.

Just look at all the great QBs and superbowl champions, they all have great names and are fairly good looking. Something Matt Schaub is not. Guys follow a guy who is good looking, has the girl, and has a great name. They are not following anybody who doesnt look good and doesnt have a great name.

Just think about all the hotshot highschool/college QBs, they all have this trait. You cant say schaub has. Just think of all the great qbs in history, they share this two very important traits.

:wheel:

EllisUnit
10-18-2013, 05:10 PM
people need to wait and at least let him suck before passing judgement. NFL history is littered with QBs who werent heralded coming out of college never got drafted barely got drafted, and still went on to become successful nfl QB.

Keenum is that guy. He has that it factor. He has two intangibles right off the bat that Schaub doesnt have:

1. A great qb name.

Just look at all the great QBs and superbowl champions, they all have great names and are fairly good looking. Something Matt Schaub is not. Guys follow a guy who is good looking, has the girl, and has a great name. They are not following anybody who doesnt look good and doesnt have a great name.

Just think about all the hotshot highschool/college QBs, they all have this trait. You cant say schaub has. Just think of all the great qbs in history, they share this two very important traits.

Ok Case we already like u , lord way to toot your own horn homie. None the less i have faith in you, good luck Sunday !!! :whip:

dream_team
10-18-2013, 05:19 PM

1. A great qb name.

So what constitutes a great qb name? Obviously David Carr isn't a good name, because the ladies sure liked his looks. Does this mean Andrew Luck and RGIII are going to amount to nothing?

drs23
10-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Hammer hits nail on head. Desperate times and the such....

76Texan
10-18-2013, 06:55 PM
The other thing about the Foster example is that most thought he was a 2nd-3rd round talent coming out...Him going undrafted was largely b/c he interviewed bad at the combine or somewhere...

i believe he also has said in the past that he had many offers to go sign with other teams...he chose to come to Houston b/c he felt like he had the best shot to become a starter here.....& the zone blocking system fit him better.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Who's the " MOST"?
What does it have to do with Foster going undrafted?
What is your point? Sorry, but I fail to see it.

76Texan
10-18-2013, 07:03 PM

We all know that it's rare, doesn't mean it never happens.

The fact remains that there have been players, QB included, that made a career out of the NFL as starters.

When people bring up the point that Keenum can't be a starter because he went undrafted, they have no basis.

Sure, they can say that it's uncommon.
I would agree with that.
But when they say that it's impossible, they are totally wrong.
Because the fact does not agree.

2012Champs
10-18-2013, 08:05 PM
We all know that it's rare, doesn't mean it never happens.

The fact remains that there have been players, QB included, that made a career out of the NFL as starters.

When people bring up the point that Keenum can't be a starter because he went undrafted, they have no basis.

Sure, they can say that it's uncommon.
I would agree with that.
But when they say that it's impossible, they are totally wrong.
Because the fact does not agree.

It's not impossible but very unlikely

Speedy
10-18-2013, 08:07 PM
With the nuclear reactor meltdown on this board over VY, I think it's hilarious people are complaining about Keenum hype.

thunderkyss
10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
what is it with houston sports teams not wanting to give hometown kids chances? Rashard Lewis, Carl Crawford, Vince Young, yet they give Kubiak all the leeway in the world.

You do know we're the only ones giving Case a chance right?

2012Champs
10-18-2013, 09:37 PM
what is it with houston sports teams not wanting to give hometown kids chances? Rashard Lewis, Carl Crawford, Vince Young, yet they give Kubiak all the leeway in the world.

VY? Christ

ArlingtonTexan
10-19-2013, 12:03 AM

If anything Houston has a long history of obsession with local/Texas products...how many other cities have the most iconic players in football, basketball, baseball all be local products to the area or at most Texas.

I would argue like with Case, Houston worries too damn much about Houston/Texas players, not the other way.

Oh yeah then there is that coach that just passed, also.

Wait a minute where exactly did Kubiak grow up again?

Nitrofish
10-19-2013, 12:46 PM

1. A great qb name.

No offense, but what have you been smoking, and what 60's football movie have you been watching?

Let's see if I can shed some light on this ridiculous notion without going too deep into it. Here are a few right off the top of my head that should do the trick.

Johnny Unitas (Awesome football name, but handsome he is not)
Roger Staubach (Do I need to explain this one?)
Terry Bradshaw (Not a manly first name, nor a handsome dude)
Jim Plunkett (Enough said)
Fran Tarkenton (Again, who names their son Francis? Handsome... Not so much)

Let's not forget "The Great Forehead" Peyton Manning. A girls first name, and could anyone say he is a handsome man?

These are just a few off the top of my head, and I am sure I could go on and on.

IMO it's a ridiculous and shallow idea that if someone has a strong name, and good looks they will be, or have been a successful NFL QB.

thunderkyss
10-19-2013, 06:26 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/12/article-1212952-0056BEFF00000258-204_306x423.jpg

Looks like Manziel.

Nitrofish
10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_chbnMGy0IXI/TJYR0Yh5IjI/AAAAAAAADM4/MQjqyBSdb60/s1600/terry-bradshaw-young.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/12/article-1212952-0056BEFF00000258-204_306x423.jpg

http://www.knowyourdallascowboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/roger-staubach-heisman-1963.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/5615.png&w=350&h=254

Tell me who doesnt belong in this pound for pound dish off list?

3 guys look like healthy, warm blooded, real american men.

1 looks like a cancer stricken gomer pyle.

I stand by all my posts.

Yea lets see.. the Bradshaw picture. Hilarious, and if that is your image of a real man I feel sorry for your wife... if you have one.

It's clear that you have a dislike for Schaub and that your opinion might be a tad bit biased. Taking personal shots at Schaub's name and appearance is pretty juvenile. Also notice you did not take on the names issue that you said "they all have great names and are fairly good looking" . It's funny also that you chose photos of the other men in their youth (Still ugly), but chose the least flattering pic you could find of Schaub in his 30's.

Real men a father would be proud to let their daughter date....

Id call the cops on this guy. Make sure to check if he's a registered sex offender.

http://morethan-stats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/matt-schaub-2013-kentucky-derby.jpg

See that is the funny thing about perceptions. While you may believe that everyone else' perception is the same as yours is, I can assure you that is not the case. Yea because registered sex offenders are known for dressing nice and always going to the Kentucky Derby with hot former cheeleader's right?

Nice though that you are able to speak for all fathers out there though. Where did you acquire such a talent?

Peyton Manning has a face that only a mother could love. Stand by your posts all you want. Your theory is not only totally bogus (which I showed), it also makes you look like a shallow minded bully who thinks it's fun to kick people while they are down by making fun of their name and appearance, which of course has nothing to do with this thread.

utahmark
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_chbnMGy0IXI/TJYR0Yh5IjI/AAAAAAAADM4/MQjqyBSdb60/s1600/terry-bradshaw-young.jpg

http://www.knowyourdallascowboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/roger-staubach-heisman-1963.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/5615.png&w=350&h=254

Tell me who doesnt belong in this pound for pound dish off list?

3 guys look like healthy, warm blooded, real american men.

1 looks like a cancer stricken gomer pyle.

I stand by all my posts.

lmao, Where did you come from?

thunderkyss
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Yea lets see.. the Bradshaw picture. Hilarious, and if that is your image of a real man I feel sorry for your wife... if you have one.

Hey.... it was the '70s.

Nitrofish
10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey.... it was the '70s.

Yea, nothing says "Real American Man" like an unbuttoned silk shirt, exposed gold chain and pooka shells, hairy chest and a comb over.

Mmmm Mmmm Good.

And just for the record. Casey is a girls name also, so once a again your theory is bunk Lord Bills. The fact that he shortened it down to just Case shows he is self conscience about it.

Rey
10-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Hey.... it was the '70s.
Hahahahaha....

That about does it. Debating their looks. I think everything has been covered.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Casey is a girls name also, so once a again your theory is bunk Lord Bills. The fact that he shortened it down to just Case shows he is self conscience about it.

Wouldn't go that far. A lot of names apparently go both ways and we've probably both known plenty of dudes with the following name.....Casey, Kelly, Jordan (which happens to be my name), Kim, Ashley, the list goes on.

You've been accurate in your rebuttals of those posts until that, that one gets close to the level of his.....

Dishman
10-19-2013, 07:55 PM
lmao, Where did you come from?

No kidding, but it is entertaining... for now.

Thorn
10-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Hahahahaha....

That about does it. Debating their looks. I think everything has been covered.

No $hit. :lol:

Grams
10-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Id call the cops on this guy. Make sure to check if he's a registered sex offender.

The man has done nothing to justify this comment.

Lucky
10-20-2013, 07:10 AM
This has turned into one weird thread. :backsout:

gtexan02
10-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Apparently we should bring in mark Sanchez asap

dream_team
10-20-2013, 09:23 AM
This has turned into one weird thread. :backsout:

Are people really debating how good men look in here? Time to look for a new Texans message board.

Texecutioner
10-20-2013, 12:50 PM
... Yes?

None of of what you describe has ever existed. I've spoken with fans all over this city and know this board very well. NO ONE hardly other then a hand full of the typical homer hopefuls have enshrined Keenum into Canton like so many of you guys keep exaggerating. There has been a huge movement due to Schaub's downward spiral from last season that everyone witnessed and his train crash that followed this season. Add in the existence of the godly awful Yates that got the 2nd string job purely out of being here longer caused a ton of people to scream for Keenum a lot louder then they should have had to. Case's name wouldn't go away because are other QB's wouldn't make his name go away especially under a HC that shouldn't even be a HC. Fans are desperate to have a QB that can make plays with his feet after having a statue for years and having a HC that is so easy for coordinators to figure out every season. So as a result, fans are desperate for a guy who can lead this offense in spite of Kubiak's lack of being able to adapt in this offense.

Throughout all of that NO ONE has acted like Case Keenum is some guarantee for the future. They desperately want to see what he has, and many of you refuse to even think that he might have some potential.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2013, 01:03 PM
None of of what you describe has ever existed. I've spoken with fans all over this city and know this board very well. NO ONE hardly other then a hand full of the typical homer hopefuls have enshrined Keenum into Canton like so many of you guys keep exaggerating. There has been a huge movement due to Schaub's downward spiral from last season that everyone witnessed and his train crash that followed this season. Add in the existence of the godly awful Yates that got the 2nd string job purely out of being here longer caused a ton of people to scream for Keenum a lot louder then they should have had to. Case's name wouldn't go away because are other QB's wouldn't make his name go away especially under a HC that shouldn't even be a HC. Fans are desperate to have a QB that can make plays with his feet after having a statue for years and having a HC that is so easy for coordinators to figure out every season. So as a result, fans are desperate for a guy who can lead this offense in spite of Kubiak's lack of being able to adapt in this offense.

Throughout all of that NO ONE has acted like Case Keenum is some guarantee for the future. They desperately want to see what he has, and many of you refuse to even think that he might have some potential.

Thank you and I've typed pretty much the same thing in another thread.. I rooted for Schaub and didn't want him to fail since his individual success was tied to my team's success, but I'm done lying to myself... Case Keenum could throw a bazillion pick 6's today and it wouldn't bother me any, because the move to start a UDFA and with all the talk that's leaking out of that locker room smells of a team that isn't happy with the incumbent starting QB and they're ready to start looking at other options. Schaub is done here, whether Keenum is the answer is regardless.. if he is the answer, so be it, but the point has been established that we're (this team) is finally looking for a answer.

Texecutioner
10-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Thank you and I've typed pretty much the same thing in another thread.. I rooted for Schaub and didn't want him to fail since his individual success was tied to my team's success, but I'm done lying to myself... Case Keenum could throw a bazillion pick 6's today and it wouldn't bother me any, because the move to start a UDFA and with all the talk that's leaking out of that locker room smells of a team that isn't happy with the incumbent starting QB and they're ready to start looking at other options. Schaub is done here, whether Keenum is the answer is regardless.. if he is the answer, so be it, but the point has been established that we're (this team) is finally looking for a answer.

I noticed that, and I also backed your argument in that thread CB. I don't understand why people keep acting like Case has this colt following of worshipers that think he's MVP material. I've just seen a ton of Texans fans who have lost hope in Schaub's abilities down the stretch at first and now to the point that most of us don't even believe that we can win a game with Schaub or Yates. It's that bad now. Keenum is an upgrade in every aspect from what I have seen from his skill set. Schaub and Yates's experience isn't even a factor here when both of them are "pick 6" queens ad have a hard time moving the ball down the field. I can't see how Keenum is any worse, and I think he is going to be better. I could be wrong, and we all could be but if so at least we have exhausted all options and know what needs to be done first and foremost in the off season. I just dread the idea of Kubiak being able to get to shop for another QB.

hradhak
10-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I noticed that, and I also backed your argument in that thread CB. I don't understand why people keep acting like Case has this colt following of worshipers that think he's MVP material. I've just seen a ton of Texans fans who have lost hope in Schaub's abilities down the stretch at first and now to the point that most of us don't even believe that we can win a game with Schaub or Yates. It's that bad now. Keenum is an upgrade in every aspect from what I have seen from his skill set. Schaub and Yates's experience isn't even a factor here when both of them are "pick 6" queens ad have a hard time moving the ball down the field. I can't see how Keenum is any worse, and I think he is going to be better. I could be wrong, and we all could be but if so at least we have exhausted all options and know what needs to be done first and foremost in the off season. I just dread the idea of Kubiak being able to get to shop for another QB.

I kinda feel that Schaub is where Brad Lidge was a few years ago after giving up a giant homerun to Pujols in the NLCS. We won the series, but Lidge was never the same.

Then Lidge moved on, and started having success again. I think Schaub and the Texans are in a very similar situation with a player who just needs to move on and find his mojo somewhere else.

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM

REPPED! This is all I have been saying!

HTown2ATX
10-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Anyone else noticing the new agenda? Downplay Case who was the undrafted 3rd stringer who just went in Arrowhead against a bad ass Chiefs defense and damn near won the game. Case had no oline, no run game, bad refs, bad clock management from Kubes as well as bad playcalling at time.

Yet..........somehow Case was just "ok", "serviceable" and other downplaying terms? I have not been so dumbfounded in my life. Saying that is like saying it is snowing right now when it's clearly now.

Case made throws that are I dunno, legit NFL QB throws Texans fans don't get to see unless they change the channel to another game/team. Normally most 3rd stringers would just outright suck balls yet today he nearly lead the team to a W in KC, something we know Schaub and Yates would not have done. He far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, outplayed the other 2 QB's yet had either one of them played today I bet they would get excuses on how they played great. Just laughable. I'm just having to tell myself "this is the agenda, I would do the same thing had I just been proven wrong like this".

To be clear, I am NOT saying he is the next Montana or the next franchise QB but damn, don't downplay the best performance you have seen all season. It's insane.

Texn4life
10-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Case played a great game. When the Chiefs started lighting us up we made no adjustments. Where are the screens? Where are the quick throws? The coaching staff did a piss poor job adjusting the what the Chiefs did in the second half. The first throw Case made in the game to Andre would have been great at times today, but we didn't adjust to what they were doing.

Mr teX
10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Anyone else noticing the new agenda? Downplay Case who was the undrafted 3rd stringer who just went in Arrowhead against a bad ass Chiefs defense and damn near won the game. Case had no oline, no run game, bad refs, bad clock management from Kubes as well as bad playcalling at time.

Yet..........somehow Case was just "ok", "serviceable" and other downplaying terms? I have not been so dumbfounded in my life. Saying that is like saying it is snowing right now when it's clearly now.

Case made throws that are I dunno, legit NFL QB throws Texans fans don't get to see unless they change the channel to another game/team. Normally most 3rd stringers would just outright suck balls yet today he nearly lead the team to a W in KC, something we know Schaub and Yates would not have done. He far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, outplayed the other 2 QB's yet had either one of them played today I bet they would get excuses on how they played great. Just laughable. I'm just having to tell myself "this is the agenda, I would do the same thing had I just been proven wrong like this".

To be clear, I am NOT saying he is the next Montana or the next franchise QB but damn, don't downplay the best performance you have seen all season. It's insane.

The TD pass he threw was a thing of beauty....but his very first throw was well behind AJ ....the throw to Hopkins in the red zone was a bad throw and the bomb he threw to AJ was also underthrown to where AJ had to slow down to get it...if he puts it out there like he did his TD throw to Hopkins earlier, AJ is probably gone. Now if that's schaub who makes those throws people are killing him right now...

Its fair to say that he performed admirably and looked pretty good for a guy making his 1st start...i've said in other threads he should start for the rest of the season.. but he's not above the same critcism Schaub would've recieved.

2012Champs
10-20-2013, 08:01 PM
The TD pass he threw was a thing of beauty....but his very first throw was well behind AJ ....the throw to Hopkins in the red zone was a bad throw and the bomb he threw to AJ was also underthrown to where AJ had to slow down to get it...if he puts it out there like he did his TD throw to Hopkins earlier, AJ is probably gone. Now if that's schaub who makes those throws people are killing him right now...

Its fair to say that he performed admirably and looked pretty good for a guy making his 1st start...i've said in other threads he should start for the rest of the season.. but he's not above the same critcism Schaub would've recieved.

He also threw short of the sticks on 3rd down. The td pass was great and schaub wouldn't get that throw done

DexmanC
10-21-2013, 02:13 AM
He also threw short of the sticks on 3rd down. The td pass was great and schaub wouldn't get that throw done

Keenum also threw a 47-yard bomb to Dre on a play in the middle of the 3rd quarter, where he used his feet to buy about 5 extra seconds of time for Dre to get open deep.

Texecutioner
10-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Keenum also threw a 47-yard bomb to Dre on a play in the middle of the 3rd quarter, where he used his feet to buy about 5 extra seconds of time for Dre to get open deep.

That play was beautiful.

2012Champs
10-21-2013, 07:42 AM

It was I acknowledged that throw in one of the other case threads

CorpusTexan
10-21-2013, 08:16 AM

He's also not a 10 YEAR VETERAN. Geezus. That was his FIRST game. This isn't rocket science... MS is horrible and needs to see his way out immediately. :toropalm:

Mr teX
10-21-2013, 08:34 AM
He's also not a 10 YEAR VETERAN. Geezus. That was his FIRST game. This isn't rocket science... MS is horrible and needs to see his way out immediately. :toropalm:

You're right, it's not rocket science..you don't need to be a 10 year vet to throw that pass accurately......

Like i said, offensively we still showed many of the same tendencies we've been showing for years under this regime..If we hadn't i'd be more inclined to go all in with Keenum....