MistaRed
10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
And. Here. We. Go.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Kubiak announces.

Thorn
10-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, we are going to find out this Sunday if we have a future QB or still need to find one in the draft or a trade. I like it.

And I am personally going to be rooting like hell for Case to do the job.

CharloTex
10-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Kubes finally grew a pair.

Let's roll!

kiwitexansfan
10-17-2013, 02:47 PM
This will be fascinating.

What does Keenum need to do to show he is the QB for this team?

HTown2ATX
10-17-2013, 02:48 PM
You guys ninja'ed me to it....had just posted this on our Austin Texans FB page then was headed here....

610 JUST announced Case Keenum WILL start Sunday. Says Kubes just made it official......I may be too excited...

:jam: :htown2atx: :headbang:

kiwitexansfan
10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm off to watch some Keenum highlights.

TheMatrix31

To the Perpetually Insatiable (tm) there isn't anything he can show.

To sane people, don't turn the ball over, get rid of the ball quick, and hit the open man when there is one. He'll be managed heavily I'm sure, but I'm hoping we take a few shots downfield if the run game is working. KC's D is tough.

santo
Well lets see what he's made of. :swatter:

TheIronDuke
Well I'm glad I didn't say I'd eat my hat on video if Keenum started, I am absolutely floored by this decision. Kubiak might be realizing his job is on the line and that Yates sucks worse than Schaub.

gwallaia
10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Please, O-line earn your pay!

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 02:50 PM

thre is already a thread for that

DavisAg
10-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Really excited to see how this develops. He definitely has the support of the city.

Norg
10-17-2013, 02:51 PM
knowing the Houston curse he will prob stink it up hardcore

leebigeztx
10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
One way or the other,we will find out about tim tebow keenum

2slik4u
10-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Win. Or at least make it blatantly obvious that he WASN'T the reason we lost.

sandmanx
10-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it. I just turned 610 on when it was announced. I wonder if this may have been pushed forward by Bob, as I don't see Kubiak being able to make that decision on his own.

htowntexans1985
Can only wonder if Kubiak is setting Keenum up for failure and keep him reigned in. A Dink and dunk fest might be coming. Hopefully he caters to his strengths and let's him ball. Here's to never seeing schaub again!!!

HOU-TEX
Well, at least this will get me excited to watch the game this week. It's been tough the last couple weeks.

I truly hope, for the Texans seasons sake, that y'all are right about this guy

Maybe it'll be a nice shot in the arm for the remainder of the team too

VTexan
10-17-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.gifti.me/i/i8ZUW7.gif

2012Champs
knowing the Houston curse he will prob stink it up hardcore

Can only wonder if Kubiak is setting Keenum up for failure and keep him reigned in. A Dink and dunk fest might be coming. Hopefully he caters to his strengths and let's him ball. Here's to never seeing schaub again!!!

Dont start making excuses ahead of time

I hope the kid does well

Mr teX
Alright...well lets see what we got kids.....McNair might've put that call in. whatever happens, i still think he needs at least the game after this to definitively say he's not the guy.

nero THE zero
10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Keenum deserves it, but my greatest fear is that Keenum comes in and plays just good enough to (a) keep Kubiak around and (b) preclude us from drafting a QB.

Ugh.

Rey
10-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Swearinger over keo too

Mr teX
10-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Swearinger over Keo...Kubiak realizes his back is against the wall....Last stop to unemployment is boarding............now!!

htowntexans1985
10-17-2013, 02:59 PM

I hope the kid does well

Schaub is that you? How's rehab going bro?

ChampionTexan
One way or the other,we will find out about tim tebow keenum

On the contrary, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say for the vast majority of folks that are either rabidly anti-Case or rabidly pro-Case, nothing that happens on Sunday (and maybe the rest of the season) will change their minds.

MightyTExan
http://memeguy.com/photos/images/whenever-someone-correctly-identifies-this-gif-as-robert-redford-and-not-zach-galifianakis-9448.gif

Dread-Head
10-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Damn it Bill! You just COULDN'T go to practice could ya?

PockyAF
10-17-2013, 03:02 PM
IN on historic thread

Ghostform
10-17-2013, 03:02 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8202/goc.gif

GuerillaBlack
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM

I hope the kid does well

Yeah Keenum will prove you and all the other doubters wrong.

HOU-TEX
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Guess Lechler tweeked an oblique or something

CretorFrigg
10-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I hope he does well. If he sucks on Sunday, at least we made an attempt.

Scooter
for me it's going to be an eyeball test and hoping that kubiak doesnt handcuff him with 4 yard routes. case needs to look like he belongs and show that he can handle the job. with a bye week coming, i'm not putting too much into his first game in a very tough situation. mostly i'm hoping he does enough to earn the job, and get all of the first team reps during the bye.

Thorn
It's already up at the Chronicle.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/case-keenum-to-start-sunday-against-chiefs/

TheMatrix31
Keenum deserves it, but my greatest fear is that Keenum comes in and plays just good enough to (a) keep Kubiak around and (b) preclude us from drafting a QB.

Ugh.

The goal is to win. If we win, I don't care about the other things because they wouldn't be necessary.

HJam72
10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
W. O. W. :evil:

Somebody in that organization is actually trying to figure it out. :doot:
I don't know what will happen, but I know this is the right decision--give 'im a chance. It's your ball, Case; go get it done!

badboy
Not the way I wanted to see it happen but it is here so, I hope to see a bit of college excitement with Keenum along with a dash of pro mixed in as he does have some NFL prep time under his belt. I think younger guys like Newton and Jones will step up and the entire Offense gets a fresh breath. They should want to make the new kid look good as one of their own. IMO, this is an attempt to save his job by Kubiak.

I missed the game driving to Dallas with a church group and heard the final score at a rest break. I want to catch up with details of play and go from there. Hopefully, Keenum is as good as I think he is and we will not have to use a high pick on QB.

Rey
Remember when so many people said the keenum vs Yates discussion in the pre season was not important?

Now we are hoping the kid can save our season.

Runner
On the contrary, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say for the vast majority of folks that are either rabidly anti-Case or rabidly pro-Case, nothing that happens on Sunday (and maybe the rest of the season) will change their mind.

I'm rabidly unsure any of the QBs on the roster are "the answer". I'm reasonably sure Schaub's best years are behind him and Yates is not the answer though. I don't think one game will positively answer the question either way on Case, so whatever happens Sunday it would be nice if he got more than one game to prove himself.

Starting Case does make the game a little more interesting

HouTx11
10-17-2013, 03:11 PM
How will we know if Keenum will be an improvement? If he doesn't continue the streak of pick 6's.

leebigeztx
10-17-2013, 03:13 PM

That's what he is though.That's what schaub is also,but he want even looking for the other behind route. He would read andre to the slow ass te vs andre to hopkins to the te. There were a lot plays schaub refused to even look at the worse he played. The worse heplayed,the tighter he got. Hopefully case won't be in such a hurry to get rid of the ball that he don't allow the route to develop. That's the problem with sam bradford and alex smiths of the world.

The Pencil Neck
10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I have to admit... I'm excited. I hope he destroys the Chief defense and elevates the entire offense.

MEGA SWATT
10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8202/goc.gif
LOL

Awesome news. I hope he does really really well. Makes me excited to see the game. I think a few running plays to get him warmed up, then some short dump off passes, mid range passes and then, run, run, and bam- bomb down the field to AJ. I hope he has good pocket awareness, good protection and not oblivious to the blindsided rush/sack threat. If needed, we can see a nice scramble, busted play, running back-mode for Keenum - at least once!

mussop
10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm actually excited about the game now. Don't think he's going to do very well against this defense but still excited to see a new mobile QB at the reigns.

Rey
10-17-2013, 03:17 PM
This is THE most excited I've been for a game in a long time.

I believe if kubiak allows case to play his own style within the offense case will flourish. But I'm mostly excited because to me this signifies that we are open to other things at the qb position. If case can't do it, draft a qb high next year.

But case is going to ball.

The1ApplePie
10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Makes me wonder if this is Elway and Tebow all over again.

htownfan32
Well whaddaya know? A chance for the guy to prove himself.

For the record I really and truly hope my gut feeling about him is wrong and he is that franchise guy for us. Looking forward to sunday.

Dutchrudder

Are we trading Keenum to the Jets?

leebigeztx
10-17-2013, 03:19 PM
for me it's going to be an eyeball test and hoping that kubiak doesnt handcuff him with 4 yard routes. case needs to look like he belongs and show that he can handle the job. with a bye week coming, i'm not putting too much into his first game in a very tough situation. mostly i'm hoping he does enough to earn the job, and get all of the first team reps during the bye.

Kubiak didn't handcuff schaub,schaub handcuffed schaub. There were plenty of routes behind players that he wouldn't throw. Remember that pick 6 everyone blamed hopkins on vs titans? Go watch it and in fact I brought it up and blamed matt while everyone was blaming the rookie.Would've been a big gainer,maybe even a 40 yd,but matt was throwing to the sticks and the rookie read the db and was going deep.

eriadoc
10-17-2013, 03:19 PM
So I wonder how many of our posters here are, in their heart of hearts, rooting for Keenum to fail, so they can be validated. People hate being wrong on things they are vested in. I have no idea why they're vested in Keenum's failure, but you can tell from the vitriol around here by a few that they are.

Hope he plays well, hope the Texans win, and hope he beats out the competition in camp next year. I can tell you that I'll be back on the edge of my seat this week, unlike the last seven quarters of football.

cstyle42
10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Finally I agree with Kubiak on something

htownfan32
10-17-2013, 03:22 PM
So I wonder how many of our posters here are, in their heart of hearts, rooting for Keenum to fail, so they can be validated. People hate being wrong on things they are vested in. I have no idea why they're vested in Keenum's failure, but you can tell from the vitriol around here by a few that they are.

Hope he plays well, hope the Texans win, and hope he beats out the competition in camp next year. I can tell you that I'll be back on the edge of my seat this week, unlike the last seven quarters of football.

I don't think that's the case. I'll take success from a quarterback regardless of his college and name. I would love for Keenum to prove me wrong more than anything else. I still reserve the right to have my reservations, but I'm far more excited about this game now than I was before.

eriadoc
10-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't think that's the case. I'll take success from a quarterback regardless of his college and name. I would love for Keenum to prove me wrong more than anything else. I still reserve the right to have my reservations, but I'm far more excited about this game now than I was before.

You wouldn't be one of the few I'm referring to. ;)

santo
10-17-2013, 03:23 PM

Or a Kraft and Brady all over again :doot:

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Schaub is that you? How's rehab going bro?

Yeah Keenum will prove you and all the other doubters wrong.

If he proves me wrong I will gladly eat crow. The case crowd cant starting hedging now and blamming Gary before hand

The1ApplePie
Are we trading Keenum to the Jets?

If Case pulls a Tebow and unintentionally succeeds...:kitten:

Scooter
Kubiak didn't handcuff schaub,schaub handcuffed schaub. There were plenty of routes behind players that he wouldn't throw. Remember that pick 6 everyone blamed hopkins on vs titans? Go watch it and in fact I brought it up and blamed matt while everyone was blaming the rookie.Would've been a big gainer,maybe even a 40 yd,but matt was throwing to the sticks and the rookie read the db and was going deep.

you're right, and i've said almost exactly the same thing - i wasnt paying enough attention to what i was typing.

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Youd have the same number who blame everyone but Case if he doesnt do well. I hope he pulls if off because eating crow and possibly still getting into the playoff is better than the alternative

Kaiser Toro
10-17-2013, 03:26 PM

We have some bitter folks on this board, that add zero value to the community - Keenum is just the platform du jour for their angst against their personal shortcomings. Of course, that is one person's opinion.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Wow, Kubiak is doing something different.

That's a start!

The1ApplePie
10-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Or a Kraft and Brady all over again :doot:

I hope it ends that way. Or its a Romo-like situation.

Math and history certainly aren't with the Texans however.

ChampionTexan
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM
are we trading keenum to wherever rex ryan is coaching next year?

fify

silvrhand
10-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Interesting.. I wonder if Kubiak is going to the old run and shoot school of offense and just going to spread the field and get rid of the two TE set and get aggressive on offense?

Feels a bit like desparation at this point, which means Kubiak's job is on the line I think at this point. If we get blown upgain I'm now guessing that Kubiak gets fired, and Wade is handed the clipboard.

The1ApplePie
10-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I see Keenum as an extension of the blind homerism that drives the VY and Manziel love/hate on this board. I thought that all the clamoring for him to start was exclusively because he played at UH. Looks like Kubes chose him, so I guess I'm wrong on that.

And I hope this isn't like Denver where they tossed Tebow in because they thought the season was over and wanted to shut people up. Though I wouldn't mind the trip to the playoffs.

BullNation4Life
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
And. Here. We. Go.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4vgu4UWG7ovbAlwRwCa44e9UpOkrKC 25rJw9pnsRMMB6907Fdxg

Bulls on Parade
Please, O-line earn your pay!
They will manhandle the Chiefs highly praised defensive line.

Vinny
Interesting.. I wonder if Kubiak is going to the old run and shoot school of offense and just going to spread the field and get rid of the two TE set and get aggressive on offense?

Feels a bit like desparation at this point, which means Kubiak's job is on the line I think at this point. If we get blown upgain I'm now guessing that Kubiak gets fired, and Wade is handed the clipboard.
He's gonna run that same underneath route, two te plodding offense that won't challenge the back end. This is gonna be a runfest. Big serving of 23. Chiefs have struggled vs the run so this gives us our best chance to win. If we get behind it's gonna get rough.

htownfan32
Posted this gif in the other thread, but I guess it's appropriate

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gif

HOU-TEX
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I know we've been crapping the bed this season, but the teams the Chiefs have played this season are a combined 11-25.

Jags (6 sacks, 2 ints)
Cowboys (3 sacks, 0 ints)
Eagles (6 sacks, 2 int)
Giants (3 sacks, 1 int)
Titans (3 sacks, 2 int)
Raiders (9 sacks, 3 ints)

Yes, they have an opportunistic defense, but color me unimpressed

Hottoddie
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm excited!!! At least we'll know if he can play against the big boys. I think he will make a good showing this week & add some excitement to the team that should carry over to the rest of the players. I'd much rather use that #1 pick next year on the MLB out of "Bama.

badboy
10-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Perhaps more of a shoot and run. I think it would catch everyone by surprise on our first play if Keenum tosses a long one to Hopkins. AJ will pull coverage to his side on first play and fake a run by RB. Even if it doesn't work, it should open the field, excite fans and put a bit of "whoa.." to KC.

BleedsRocketRed
10-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Watch Keenum turn into our version of Tom Brady... I can feel it!

BullNation4Life
10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/success.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Colbert-High-Five.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/barney-confetti.gif

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
We have some bitter folks on this board, that add zero value to the community - Keenum is just the platform du jour for their angst against their personal shortcomings. Of course, that is one person's opinion.

Maybe the only bitter people are the ones who bring up bitterness in the first place

deucetx
10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, one thing can be said. The move has energized the fanbase by looking at this thread and hearing some co-workers at the office here. No harm in that. I don't know about tossing the kid out on the road in such a hostile environment against what many perceive the best defense in the league but hey...baptize by fire, right?

Vance87
10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Kubiak. MY NINJA.

http://i.imgur.com/dhMeAzK.gif

MEGA SWATT
10-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Watch Keenum turn into our version of Tom Brady... I can feel it!

Not sure if serious. Shouldn't you start at the Drew Brees-lite level first........then work up to Brady-lite?

OzzO
10-17-2013, 03:42 PM
SWEET!!!! Just to see the unknown... one way or another. Can't be worse than what we're already seen this year.
http://gifsoup.com/view/760779/carlton-dance.html

GuerillaBlack
10-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I hope it ends that way. Or its a Romo-like situation.

Math and history certainly aren't with the Texans however.

Eh, I disagree. Warner was the first UDFA to do it big, then about seven years later it was Romo and about seven years after Romo, its Keenum's turn. NFL is due for another udfa to make it big. And who wears #7? Just saying. ;)

EllisUnit
10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Wasnt excited for this game, but NOW i am the most pumped i have been in a long time for a game. I have a good feeling about this !

BleedsRocketRed
10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Not sure if serious. Shouldn't you start at the Drew Brees-lite level first........then work up to Brady-lite?

Go big or go home!

This has got Brady (at worst Romo) story written all over it. (I can hope right?)

I can see Keenum having a creative offensive mind, lets just hope he isnt chained down by Kubes draconian style game management. I can see Keenum turning into an offensive juggernaut as his IQ is quite high for a QB and as young and raw as he is in the pros, it can only go up from here.

Only thing I am worried about is that we are playing the Chiefs defense/offense, in the loudest stadium in the country (arrowhead), against a team that is firing on all cylinders. This could be an epic upset that would vault Keenum instantly into Houston legendary status, or completely knock him down to the pits of Houston sports hell.

Nitrofish
10-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Congrats Case Keenum, and best of luck this weekend. Go beat the Chiefs!

silvrhand
10-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Go big or go home!

This has got Brady story written all over it. (I can hope right?) I'd take Drew Brees production though as well hahaha

I can see Keenum having a creative offensive mind, lets just hope he isnt chained down by Kubes draconian style game management. I can see Keenum turning into an offensive juggernaut. His IQ is quite high for a QB and as young and raw as he is in the pros, it can only go up from here.

Only thing I am worried about is that we are playing the Chiefs defense/offense, in the loudest stadium in the country (arrowhead), against a team that is firing on all cylinders. This could be an epic upset that would vault Keenum instantly into Houston legendary status, or completely knock him down to the pits of Houston sports hell.

Might as well put a bust up in Canton already too eh?

:mariopalm:

I'm not getting my hopes up only to watch them get squashed and be pissed off for half the week like I was this week. The RAMS game was miserable, it's been the first game I've ever left early in 6 years.

GuerillaBlack
Well, one thing can be said. The move has energized the fanbase by looking at this thread and hearing some co-workers at the office here. No harm in that. I don't know about tossing the kid out on the road in such a hostile environment against what many perceive the best defense in the league but hey...baptize by fire, right?

Yep. Buzzing here at UH too, obviously.

MEGA SWATT
"RELAX, I got this"

http://667890af24dcf3c4ff75-3c5c7cf439b200c763d8c176f7f8a124.r52.cf2.rackcdn.c om/images/images/5222/photos/large/case_keenum.jpg_f731138a0053333d485d6e20b1843f0f?1 376232565

Thorn
A 2nd year rookie making his initial start against one of the best defenses in the league in a very loud and hostile stadium. What could go wrong? LOL

hradhak
10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm a little surprised by the decision, but I'm glad Kubiak is doing something. We need a spark and this is probably the only way to do it.

That said, Keenum will need to learn in a hurry out here. This defense is going to be coming at him fast and often. Hopefully the O-line gets its **** together.

I also hope the coaching staff opens up the playbook and let's Case throw some different looks.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Go big or go home!

This has got Brady (at worst Romo) story written all over it. (I can hope right?)

Lol, we can only wish at worst Romo.

You seen him play this year?

kingtexan
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM

I hope the kid does well

Amazingly enough I agree with you.

What a couple of d-bags already wishing negativity on the team.

As far as excuses there wont be any needed.

Double Barrel
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I echo the sentiment in this thread that I'm excited about this game! :texflag:

Not that I have a bunch of unrealistic high hopes for Keenum, but rather it's something different and desperate times call for desperate measures.

The team has to know that Kubiak's job is on the line now. If they really like him as a head coach, then now is the time to rally around Case and make something good happen this year. Otherwise, we are probably looking at high draft pick on a QB under a new regime.

Hope for the best... :goodbad: ...but prepare for reality.

Vance87
10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
A 2nd year rookie making his initial start against one of the best defenses in the league in a very loud and hostile stadium. What could go wrong? LOL

Exactly!

BleedsRocketRed

Yeah I know. But I am entering this with an open mind. What else is there to lose? If we B level production from Keenum, I would call this move a success. Even if we lose. The Cheifs are just a better team overall and keeping Shaub or Yates wouldn't really change the outcome that dramatically in my opinion.

GuerillaBlack

Yeah he has played pretty good. Oh wait, he threw a pick at the end of the Broncos game, he sucks!

Uncle Rico
10-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Our machine shop went bat**** crazy I thought China was invading trying to collect their debt, but equally as shocking Case.Freaking.Keenum.

He could become an HTown legend starting Sunday. I'm a little excited, nothing left to lose. You go with Yates against KC and you pretty much concede the game, Keenum makess it interesting no doubt. Hopefully he doesn't get Carr Bombed getting thrown into the fire against the one of the best D's.

I wonder how much input McNair had on the decision? Like did he say something like "start Keenum or else"?

At least the game on Sunday became must watch TV again.

kingtexan
10-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Best news of the season so far to me.

Bulls on Parade
10-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah I know. But I am entering this with an open mind. What else is there to lose? If we B level production from Keenum, I would call this move a success. Even if we lose. The Cheifs are just a better team overall and keeping Shaub or Yates wouldn't really change the outcome that dramatically in my opinion.
The Chiefs are 6-0 but it doesn't mean much to me. The Texans have to clean up their mistakes. Stop turning the ball over and committing so many penalties. Let's not beat ourselves. Do that and I don't see any reason why the Texans can't win at Arrowhead Stadium. We haven't lost there before.

Thorn
10-17-2013, 04:01 PM
I've always wanted Keenum to save us, home town hero an all that kind of stuff. I just hope this isn't to soon to throw him to some of the badest wolves in the league.

WolverineFan
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM

How many people feel validated with Schaub's failures and rooted for Yates to fail so Keenum could get his shot. It goes both ways.

I could care less who the QB of the team is as long as we win. I'm sure most would say the same. The fanboy following that Keenum has on here is ridiculous though. We all want him to succeed, but this "I told you so" is playground BS. I realize that there is a ton of UH alumni/supporters in Houston, but let's try and be objective about things.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM

My thinking goes like this:

Why are the Chiefs so much better this year?

Reid.

The problem is Kubiak and Phillips and coach Joe.

We are being out coached in every phase of the game. Kubiak has little imagination. Phillips needs to get away from man coverage every GD play. Joe sucks.

If these guys start doing something unpredictable we have a fighting chance this season.

Double Barrel
10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
The Chiefs are 6-0 but it doesn't mean much to me. The Texans have to clean up their mistakes. Stop turning the ball over and committing so many penalties. Let's not beat ourselves. Do that and I don't see any reason why the Texans can't win at Arrowhead Stadium. We haven't lost there before.

I agree. Stop shooting themselves in the foot with costly turnovers and stupid penalties.

If the defense can shut down Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs become very beatable.

Hopefully the offense can score early and take some air out of that stadium. As we know, our defense works best with a lead. So getting fast start is going to be crucial. The last thing we need is to put Keenum in a bad position by trying to come from behind against that defense in that stadium. That could get ugly fast.

silentassassin
All the best to my fellow UH alum. /sniff

:logo:

hradhak
KC has not beaten anyone good this year. They have the 31st most difficult schedule. Their offense is downright terrible.

If Keenum can keep from giving them free points this can be a manageable game that we can win. We just need to not give them the leg up like we have been for the past 4 weeks

Surreal McCoy
10-17-2013, 04:04 PM

win

hookinreds
10-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Hey Thorn, think about it this way. Even when the Astros were good, all it took was for the other team to put a rookie pitcher on the hill for his first start. Results were typically 1 hit shuttouts, or 15+ strikouts. Maybe Keenum could have the same results for us against KC.

That being said, it's still Kubiak's play calling we are talking about here...so dink/dunk away after a steady helping of #23 all day long.

CloakNNNdagger
LOL

Awesome news. I hope he does really really well. Makes me excited to see the game. I think a few running plays to get him warmed up, then some short dump off passes, mid range passes and then, run, run, and bam- bomb down the field to AJ. I hope he has good pocket awareness, good protection and not oblivious to the blindsided rush/sack threat. If needed, we can see a nice scramble, busted play, running back-mode for Keenum - at least once!

Running against the Chiefs will be far from easy. They've got that fat boy in the middle who, along with his support cast, does a very nice job.......only 10.8 points/game (as opposed to 29.5 points/game) Kubiak probably knows this and the fact that 2 of the Chief's secondary are injured. If the Texans have any chance of winning this game, Case will have to make a significant contribution.

fiasco west
Told ya so.

If you're 2nd string QB is sharing snaps with your 3rd string one it seems a little iffy. If you're 2nd string QB is truly your 2nd string QB then he starts, no doubt about it...yet there was always this doubt...

Because this is really a Alex Smith situation. If Schaub was playing well and we were say...4-2...5-1...Yates starts, because he's more of the same.

Texans don't need more of the same though, they need a shake up to their own system.

Yates was on the team as a back-up...but Keenum was on the team as more of a replacement.

Lurvinator11
10-17-2013, 04:06 PM
I can't wait to see lucky number 7 throwing 7's all day!!

I am so excited about this. I've been rooting for Keenum to start since week 4, and it's finally happening.

I was told the news by a classmate in my teaching class, and I had to quietly cheer, which still made other classmates look at me. lol

Nitrofish
10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah he has played pretty good. Oh wait, he threw a pick at the end of the Broncos game, he sucks!

Far be it from me to defend Romo, but did you say that INT? It was spectacular play by the defender on that one, not a bad throw by Romo IMO.

Thorn
10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey Thorn, think about it this way. Even when the Astros were good, all it took was for the other team to put a rookie pitcher on the hill for his first start. Results were typically 1 hit shuttouts, or 15+ strikouts. Maybe Keenum could have the same results for us against KC.

That being said, it's still Kubiak's play calling we are talking about here...so dink/dunk away after a steady helping of #23 all day long.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about all this. I've been drinking the Keenum Kool-Aid since pre-season, and now that I'm finally getting my wish, I'm also getting butterflies.

Although, I just don't see Keenum actually doing a worse job than either Schaub or TJ. But, we'll all find out together in just a few days. I can't wait! :)

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Far be it from me to defend Romo, but did you say that INT? It was spectacular play by the defender on that one, not a bad throw by Romo IMO.

I'm guessing he was kidding.

michaelm
10-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Finally I agree with Kubiak on something

Me too, and it makes me second guess myself.

Nitrofish
10-17-2013, 04:17 PM

Reid.

We are being out coached in every phase of the game. Kubiak has little imagination. Phillips needs to get away from man coverage every GD play. Joe sucks.

If these guys start doing something unpredictable we have a fighting chance this season.

I tend to agree with this, and part of the reason the Texans D played better against the Chargers is because someone finally threw them out of the man coverage. You gotta mix it up just to keep the opponent guessing IMO.

I agree. Stop shooting themselves in the foot with costly turnovers and stupid penalties.

If the defense can shut down Jamaal Charles, the Chiefs become very beatable.

Hopefully the offense can score early and take some air out of that stadium. As we know, our defense works best with a lead. So getting fast start is going to be crucial. The last thing we need is to put Keenum in a bad position by trying to come from behind against that defense in that stadium. That could get ugly fast.

:goodpost:

kiwitexansfan
10-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I think that I am as excited for this game as any other regular season game ever.

It was time for a change.

michaelm
10-17-2013, 04:19 PM
KC has not beaten anyone good this year. They have the 31st most difficult schedule. Their offense is downright terrible.

If Keenum can keep from giving them free points this can be a manageable game that we can win. We just need to not give them the leg up like we have been for the past 4 weeks

This time last year the Texans were 5-1 and a lot of people thought they were the best team in the NFL until they were exposed as frauds. There is potential for the same thing to happen to KC.

Corrosion
10-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Reid.

So should they win Sunday against the Chiefs .... It'll be in spite of Kubiak & co ?!

chicagotexan2
10-17-2013, 04:22 PM
SWEET!!!! Just to see the unknown... one way or another. Can't be worse than what we're already seen this year.
http://gifsoup.com/view/760779/carlton-dance.html

Yeah is like to see him succeed but my expectations are to merely suck as bad as Schaub and Yates.

Double Barrel
10-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Why are folks second guessing Kubiak's playcalling?

At the end of the day, players have to execute. Every play is designed to succeed, but players have to make it happen.

Kubiak's playcalling was good enough in 2011 and 2012 to make the playoffs and win games.

Heck, Shanahan has said many times that Kubiak was calling ALL offensive plays when Elway won those back-to-back Super Bowls.

Honestly, harping on Kukiak's playcalling right now sounds like a set up for a built in excuse if Keenum does not play up to expectations.

Keenum will ultimately decide Keenum's fate, not Kubiak's playcalling. While not the most exciting, those plays can certainly win some games if executed properly.

Just sayin' :cowboy1: GO CASE!!!

kingtexan
10-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I've always wanted Keenum to save us, home town hero an all that kind of stuff. I just hope this isn't to soon to throw him to some of the badest wolves in the league.

I believe he will be fine.

I really do have this vision of the Majkowski goes down, Favre comes in scenario.

We will see.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 04:24 PM
This time last year the Texans were 5-1 and a lot of people thought they were the best team in the NFL until they were exposed as frauds. There is potential for the same thing to happen to KC.

The Chiefs were 2-14 last year.

They have rebounded tremendously since then.

Are they Super Bowl contenders? We will see.

They are definitely playing better than us so far this season.

TexansFight
10-17-2013, 04:25 PM
thre is already a thread for that

I am getting really tired of your posting style.

BullNation4Life
10-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't the Texans exposed by a losing GB team, that just got humiliated the week before by the Colts? GB was 3-4 when they came into Houston and stomped a mud hole into them.

Maybe it's the Texans turn...

BullNation4Life
10-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Ignore button works wonders for trolls like 2012Champs

hookinreds
10-17-2013, 04:26 PM

At the end of the day, players have to execute. Every play is designed to succeed, but players have to make it happen.

Kubiak's playcalling was good enough in 2011 and 2012 to make the playoffs and win games.

Heck, Shanahan has said many times that Kubiak was calling ALL offensive plays when Elway won those back-to-back Super Bowls.

Honestly, harping on Kukiak's playcalling right now sounds like a set up for a built in excuse if Keenum does not play up to expectations.

Keenum will ultimately decide Keenum's fate, not Kubiak's playcalling. While not the most exciting, those plays can certainly win some games if executed properly.

Becuase it's the same plays that he ran in 2011 & 2012...third time around the sun the other teams finally catch on.:barman:

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 04:29 PM

you dont have to view my posting style

TexansSeminole
10-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Let's hope he plays well, because we need him to in order to salvage this season. I agree with Rey that this is good news because it shows that Kubiak is willing to make changes and shake things up. I thought Yates deserved a full game of action, but Keenum hasn't done anything to not deserve one also. Hopefully we don't play QB musical chairs after this either, eveen if he doesn't play well against the Chiefs. Let Keenum get a few games in before we make any more decisions. If this doesn't work, we definitely need to draft a QB in the first next year.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
So should they win Sunday against the Chiefs .... It'll be in spite of Kubiak & co ?!

I think that if our coaches stop being so predictable we can beat anyone.

I feel that the NFL has figured Wade and Gary out. They know how to scheme against us and our coaches aren't responding.

I want some off the wall play calling so that our guys aren't fighting an uphill battle because of non adjustments.

So, no, not in spite of Kubiak and Co, I think with some imagination our coaches can turn this around.

Big Lou
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Is it Arpil 1st or something, I'm floored.

I wasn't for or against Case, just thought TJ was probably a slight upgrade over Schaub, but I have ben curious to see what CK could do.

I have to work sunday but can watch the game on my iPhone. I was planning on checking occasionally, now I will have to break away and actually watch the game.

I'm excited, even if we lose theres something exciting, something to keep up some enthusiasm....

TexansSeminole
10-17-2013, 04:32 PM

100% agree with this.

WolverineFan
10-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Let's hope he plays well, because we need him to in order to salvage this season. I agree with Rey that this is good news because it shows that Kubiak is willing to make changes and shake things up. I thought Yates deserved a full game of action, but Keenum hasn't done anything to not deserve one also. Hopefully we don't play QB musical chairs after this either, eveen if he doesn't play well against the Chiefs. Let Keenum get a few games in before we make any more decisions. If this doesn't work, we definitely need to draft a QB in the first next year.

No, he's not. That's become abundantly clear over the past few years.

The only reason he's making changes now is because his back is up against the wall and it gives him some time to fend off the 'firing' talk.

Dutchrudder
10-17-2013, 04:38 PM
All I know is I'm starting the Chiefs DST in fantasy football this week. Good luck Case, but I'm betting against you and our O-line.

Rey
10-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I agree with DB. Kubiaks playcalling is not a huge issue IMO.

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Well here you go, Keenum Cultists.

7 pages in one hour.

Wow... allz Iz gots to say....

Wow.

ChampionTexan
10-17-2013, 04:41 PM
All I know is I'm starting the Chiefs DST in fantasy football this week. Good luck Case, but I'm betting against you and our O-line.

I'm starting them in one league, and playing against them in another. Regardless, I'm more than happy for a crappy day from them on Sunday.

Exascor
10-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Joking or not...this is why I despise fantasy football.

IlliniJen
10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Guys, what if Case Keenum is actually good and accidentally saves Kubiak's job?

GOD. NO.

dream_team
10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
A good question is how well does Case have to play to become the everyday starter? After the bye, Schaub should be back to 100%.

And quite honestly, I don't get all of the "Yates is the same as Schaub" talk? To me, they are very different players.

b0ng
10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Holy **** the wheels fell off the Yates wagon quick.

Hopefully the Texans have a Case for the MVP?

infantrycak
So much for Kubiak wouldn't start Keenum.

Cries of predictability follow L's. Lose a few games and everyone becomes Captain I Knew the Play.

dream_team

GOD. NO.

Well you can't have it all. Do you prefer to have Case succeed, or Gary fired? I don't care what happens, I just want the Texans to win.

ChampionTexan
10-17-2013, 04:44 PM
7 pages in one hour.

Wow... allz Iz gots to say....

Wow.

Particularly impressive when you consider that this is your first (and so far only) post in it.

Nitrofish
10-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Ignore button works wonders for trolls like 2012Champs

So someone is a troll if their views do not jive with your views? Who did you say was 13 again?

I have plenty of friends that we don't see eye to eye on some topics, but I don't hit the ignore button on them because being closed minded is a detriment, not an asset. Stop using the word Troll because you obviously do not understand the definition.

Can we keep this thread to it's topic instead of this pissing contest stuff please?

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Some nice words by Kubiak.

Kubiak made the decision Wednesday night. He told Keenum of his decision Thursday morning, then announced the change to the team before practice.

"His eyes got kind of big, but he's excited," Kubiak said. "He's a competitor and he's a very confident young man. We went out there today and I thought he practiced really well.

"He's been in big games, a lot on his shoulders, big stage, played in a lot of football games. I know it's a tremendous opportunity. It's what you work for as a kid. You get into this league and you look for an opportunity and, all of a sudden, here's an opportunity for him very early in his career. We're excited for him as a football team."link (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9839777/houston-texans-name-case-keenum-qb-matt-schaub-out)

fiasco west
10-17-2013, 04:47 PM

I think Schaub recently has not made Kubiak look good. As the INTs piled up he became more and more shellshocked it seemed. Never going deep, misreading defenses and making some of the dumbest passes I've seen in a while.

I'm not sure why Keenum would make a difference...but he seems to spread the love around from what I've seen (and will test deep). In that he's not going to fall in love with any WR, he's just simply going to the man whose open and doing so quickly. That ALWAYS works in the NFL, hard for the defense to defend routes when the QB is making everyone a threat.

Any ways I hope he's that spark that Kubiak is looking for.

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Swearinger over Keo...Kubiak realizes his back is against the wall....Last stop to unemployment is boarding............now!!

If you're into conspiracy theories, imagine.......

Kubiak: Winning's the most important thing. I'm going with Keenum.

Wade: Oh yeah, well I see your Case Keenum & raise you Shilo Keo!!

eriadoc
10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
I could care less ...

You could? How?

axman40
10-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah!
Kubiak Happens!
:fans::fans::fans::fans:

Double Barrel
10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Becuase it's the same plays that he ran in 2011 & 2012...third time around the sun the other teams finally catch on.:barman:

I understand that perspective.

However, on the flip side, perhaps the perceived predictability was due to the limitations imposed by the QB.

I feel that the NFL has figured Wade and Gary out. They know how to scheme against us and our coaches aren't responding.

I want some off the wall play calling so that our guys aren't fighting an uphill battle because of non adjustments.

So, no, not in spite of Kubiak and Co, I think with some imagination our coaches can turn this around.

Schaub has tended to telegraph his reads. We see it in the replays where he's locked onto his receiver and never looks away. I am positive that this was the case with at least two of his pick 6's this year.

Heck, even the announcers point out wide open receivers that never got looked at.

Personnel often dictate gameplan. Not having a QB that can even escape the breath of pressure puts severe limitations on play calling.

BTW, I'm not letting Kubiak completely off the hook. It's ultimately ALL his responsibility as a head coach.

That being said, I do look forward to seeing what Case's skill-set can bring to the table with regards to calling plays.

GOD. NO.

YES! I'm not a Kubiak fan, but I would not have a problem if Keenum becomes his savior, even if it means saving his head coach's job.

I'm not ready for a rebuild. This season still has life left in it, dammit!! :kitten:

Rey
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM

The only reason he's making changes now is because his back is up against the wall and it gives him some time to fend off the 'firing' talk.

He could've stuck with Yates.

So IMO, this is progress.

As sorry as kubiak has been as a head coach, it is possible for people to grow/learn on the job so his past decisions don't always have to be linked with his present or future decisions.

It's a good indicator, but certainly not the final word.

Starting case over TJ is a bold move. It's an un-kubiak type and I think this's clearly a sign of desperation or change. I hope it works out for him so he'll be more willing to step out on that ledge more in the future.

This one move doesn't mean kubiak is a new man, but it can be a start to him being more willing to not always go with the status quo.

Rey
10-17-2013, 04:54 PM
If you're into conspiracy theories, imagine.......

Kubiak: Winning's the most important thing. I'm going with Keenum.

Wade: Oh yeah, well I see your Case Keenum & raise you Shilo Keo!!

Swearinger is starting over keo.

:)

kingtexan
10-17-2013, 04:55 PM

GOD. NO.

Elway looked pretty damn good with the same offense as Kubes runs, if Case can look like Elway in it, Ill take it.

kingtexan
10-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Swearinger is starting over keo.

:)

Keo is more of a free safety, the rookie is the true strong.

TexansBull
10-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Some nice words by Kubiak.

link (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9839777/houston-texans-name-case-keenum-qb-matt-schaub-out)

So this means after only one day of sharing snaps with TJ their minds were made up...things that make you go hmmmm....

Is TJ that bad? Case that good? Or Kubiak looking for a life line? Or something else?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

chicagotexan2
10-17-2013, 04:58 PM
So is Kubiak going to do the unthinkable and alter or tweak his game plan to minimize the chances of keenum screwing up?

djohn2oo8
10-17-2013, 05:00 PM
So this means after only one day of sharing snaps with TJ their minds were made up...things that make you go hmmmm....

Is TJ that bad? Case that good? Or Kubiak looking for a life line? Or something else?

Honestly, Kubiak knew ever since last game when Yates threw those two picks, that Keenum would be starting this week.

Surreal McCoy
10-17-2013, 05:00 PM

GOD. NO.

Simple. It was in spite of Kubiak, not because of him. Of course, if Case stinks it up then it's solely down to the play calling and Kubiak not having him 'prepared'.

WOW! This game is easy! I love being a message board GM...

Runner
10-17-2013, 05:01 PM
I wonder how much input McNair had on the decision? Like did he say something like "start Keenum or else"?

At least the game on Sunday became must watch TV again.

Judging by the reactions, maybe the it was the Texans marketing department. They would have waited he s home game though...

TheMatrix31
10-17-2013, 05:02 PM

GOD. NO.

Oh no, we start winning! OH THE HORROR!

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 05:03 PM

If he's got a pair of nutts, he's going to win a Super Bowl with this team.

Surreal McCoy
10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
However, on the flip side, perhaps the perceived predictability...

The fact is it's pretty easy to call the play after it's over. Opposing defences have said many times one of the hardest elements of facing Houston's offence is there are so many permutations from the same look. More importantly, if these 'experts' can predict our plays so easily then they're missing out on a fat paycheck from an NFL team...

Maddict5
10-17-2013, 05:13 PM

except you know Kubiak CHOSE to pick up keenum. tebow was a pre-Elway decision that Elway wanted gone. no correlation at all except you've read too many Denver-Houston links over the last few years

anyway congrats to case. didn't think he'd get the start tbh but im very excited to see how he plays and hope he does well. the offence was regressing under schaub so hope he provides the spark to get us back to the 09/10 big play offence. his mobility and unpredictability should make for an exciting sunday.

TexansBull
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM
How piss off will everybody be if Case helps win the game and Schaub starts after the bye? It will be a meltdown. Apocalyptic I say...

Runner
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Agreed.

One move - going to his third string quarterback because his starter is injured - isn't going to magically elevate Kubiak from his seven years of incredible averageness

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 05:16 PM
How piss off will everybody be if Case helps win the game and Schaub starts after the bye? It will be a meltdown. Apocalyptic I say...

If Matt is ready after the bye Case would have to have one hell of a game to keep Matt from going back in

Rey
10-17-2013, 05:16 PM
There is a difference between predicting plays and knowing tendencies.

If you know that a team likes to run a certain play in a certain situation and you know that the qb likes to throw here when x happens that allows you to get a jump on things.

Every player isn't aware enough for that though. But there are a lot that are. There are also coaches that will point these tendencies out to players.

So when you are out there on the field you don't know what's coming. You may have a good idea though. But if you are guessing and a team breaks tendency you could get beat big time.

On the Richard Sherman pick he knew Schaub was going to force it or take a sack. He knew Schaub wasn't going to evade the free rusher and find the deep man behind him. So he took a calculated risk based off of tendency.

But that's a tendency not likely to be broken since Schaub is Schaub.

houstonspartan
10-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Not everyone is like that. I firmly believed that giving Kubiak an extension after 2010 was a mistake, and even had to deal with friends taunting me about it. Now that it appears that I was right, that doesn't make me happy. That makes me frustrated, because this is my team and it upsets me that we're still behind when we could have been settling in with a new coach.

If you're a reasonable, mature sports fan, winning and success should come before any kind of validation.

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Because people have difficulty discerning the difference between the play call & the QBs decision.

On 3rd & 8 if the QB throws to the 5 yard route, they think it was a bad play call.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 05:18 PM
I understand that perspective.

However, on the flip side, perhaps the perceived predictability was due to the limitations imposed by the QB.

Schaub has tended to telegraph his reads. We see it in the replays where he's locked onto his receiver and never looks away. I am positive that this was the case with at least two of his pick 6's this year.

Heck, even the announcers point out wide open receivers that never got looked at.

Personnel often dictate gameplan. Not having a QB that can even escape the breath of pressure puts severe limitations on play calling.

BTW, I'm not letting Kubiak completely off the hook. It's ultimately ALL his responsibility as a head coach.

That being said, I do look forward to seeing what Case's skill-set can bring to the table with regards to calling plays.

YES! I'm not a Kubiak fan, but I would not have a problem if Keenum becomes his savior, even if it means saving his head coach's job.

I'm not ready for a rebuild. This season still has life left in it, dammit!! :kitten:

And I'm not letting the players off the hook either. Schaub has played horrible, our o-line has played horrible.......

I just think a blueprint has been set on how to beat this team. Some of those INT were because the DB or safety or LB was sitting on the route and our QB threw the ball anyway. And good QB's are still walking all over us.

We need some adjustments to our thinking is all.

I don't think this season is over by a long shot!

The month of NOV looks very winnable and we can make serious strides against the Colts by beating them.

DBCooper
10-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Cries of predictability follow L's. Lose a few games and everyone becomes Captain I Knew the Play.

I knew you were going to say that.

TexanBacker93
10-17-2013, 05:20 PM

This way if he torches the heck out of the Chiefs we'll know he can handle some of the other D's we'll face.

It's the best move we can make. You want to see what you have in Keenum before you go into next season. If he looks good enough this week he'll might very well be the starter for the rest of the season. Depending on how he does will tell the team a lot about where they need to look in the draft to get a QB. If he struggles most of the year I wouldn't be surprised with a 1st round QB. If he plays well, the offense starts scoring, and we win games then maybe we look for a 4th round QB.

I think at least 1 and maybe 2 of the QBs on the roster right now will be gone next year.

ArlingtonTexan
10-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't see anything that says Kubiak is going to run anything but his system with keenum at QB. Schuab has been immobile outlier, but generally this version of the WCO has relied on QBs with at least average mobility. Keenum because of this may look like he is running some other play, but honestly, will probably not be doing anything "new."

TexanBacker93
10-17-2013, 05:26 PM
If Matt is ready after the bye Case would have to have one hell of a game to keep Matt from going back in

That's going to be the true test of where Kubiak is right now. If he is serious about turning it around, winning, and saving his job he'd have to keep Keenum in there if he plays well.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of game plan. I hope we don't see what Vinny suggested and a heavy dose of 23. Well, I don't mind it because it could help us win, but I want to see what Keenum can do. I want him to take the training wheels off the ferrari and open it up. Don't give him the start and then handcuff him with 5 yard routes sprinkled into the 35 runs by Foster and Tate.

Thorn
10-17-2013, 05:27 PM
This way if he torches the heck out of the Chiefs we'll know he can handle some of the other D's we'll face.

It's the best move we can make. You want to see what you have in Keenum before you go into next season. If he looks good enough this week he'll might very well be the starter for the rest of the season. Depending on how he does will tell the team a lot about where they need to look in the draft to get a QB. If he struggles most of the year I wouldn't be surprised with a 1st round QB. If he plays well, the offense starts scoring, and we win games then maybe we look for a 4th round QB.

I think at least 1 and maybe 2 of the QBs on the roster right now will be gone next year.

I guess my humor isn't always recognizable. I am a HUGE Keenum fan. But you and others that have said pretty much the same thing are right. This Sunday we find out if our 3rd QB is going to make it. Because we've already seen the 1st two aren't. Schaub is outlived his stay in Houston, TJ isn't going to be a starter. All that's left is to check out Keenum so we'll know where to draft a QB next year.

That said, GO KEENUM!

steelbtexan
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it. I just turned 610 on when it was announced. I wonder if this may have been pushed forward by Bob, as I don't see Kubiak being able to make that decision on his own.

I think you're begining to understand the way things work on Kirby.

Blake
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Because people have difficulty discerning the difference between the play call & the QBs decision.

On 3rd & 8 if the QB throws to the 5 yard route, they think it was a bad play call.

Not all throws are designed to go past the sticks while in the air. Some are designed for the receiver to make a play and get some yards after catch. The best QB decision isnt always to throw past the first down marker.

eriadoc
10-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Not all throws are designed to go past the sticks while in the air. Some are designed for the receiver to make a play and get some yards after catch. The best QB decision isnt always to throw past the first down marker.

That's true. It also isn't the best QB decision to always throw short of the marker. That's when DBs start sitting on routes.

Blake
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
That's true. It also isn't the best QB decision to always throw short of the marker. That's when DBs start sitting on routes.

Haha exactly. Matt should read that.

Thorn
10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Keenum interview today.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-league/0ap2000000264887/Keenum-reacts-to-being-named-starter

Surreal McCoy
10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
This has Bucky Richardson written all over it...

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 05:42 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what kind of game plan. I hope we don't see what Vinny suggested and a heavy dose of 23. Well, I don't mind it because it could help us win, but I want to see what Keenum can do. I want him to take the training wheels off the ferrari and open it up. Don't give him the start and then handcuff him with 5 yard routes sprinkled into the 35 runs by Foster and Tate.

I don't know. But now running the pistol offense makes more sense, as if Kubiak was preparing for this all along.

Exascor
10-17-2013, 05:43 PM
This has -unknown- written all over it... fify

Rey
10-17-2013, 05:43 PM
I don't see anything that says Kubiak is going to run anything but his system with keenum at QB. Schuab has been immobile outlier, but generally this version of the WCO has relied on QBs with at least average mobility. Keenum because of this may look like he is running some other play, but honestly, will probably not be doing anything "new."

Kubiak has talked several times about calling plays to the qb's strengths. He's still gong to run his offense, but even in pre season keenum worked with more multi receiver sets than we normally use.

With Yates last year kubiak called some designed qb runs.

I believe him when he says he makes tweaks based on guys skill sets.

TexanBacker93
10-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I guess my humor isn't always recognizable. I am a HUGE Keenum fan. But you and others that have said pretty much the same thing are right. This Sunday we find out if our 3rd QB is going to make it. Because we've already seen the 1st two aren't. Schaub is outlived his stay in Houston, TJ isn't going to be a starter. All that's left is to check out Keenum so we'll know where to draft a QB next year.

That said, GO KEENUM!

I did see the humor. I think it's a great move. I'd rather start him now and see how he handles the environment than give him a start against St. Mercy's school for blind orphaned pussycats (aka Jacksonville) have him destroy them and then be blindsided against the Broncos, Patriots, or Colts. The best rise up when the challenges are tougher. Look what Brady did against the suddenly good Saints D in the waning minutes last week.

I dislike Kubiak with a venomous passion, but if Keenum saves his job and salvages this season I'm good with it. I spent too many years watching the postseason wishing we could be part of it. The last 2 years have given us just a taste and I don't want to miss it again.

edit: I don't dislike Kubiak the person. I just don't like him as the head coach. He's a very good man from what I have seen and the one time I've had a chance to meet him.

Corrosion
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Maybe we'll finally see this offense run to its full potential .... and people will stop blaming the coaches and start blaming the players for their inadequacies and mistakes. Hell I don't think they would stop even if they won a :trophy:

Corrosion
10-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Kubiak has talked several times about calling plays to the qb's strengths. He's still gong to run his offense, but even in pre season keenum worked with more multi receiver sets than we normally use.

How limited do you think he has been with Schaub under center ?! :smiliepalm:

Dutchrudder
10-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Maybe we'll finally see this offense run to its full potential .... and people will stop blaming the coaches and start blaming the players for their inadequacies and mistakes. Hell I don't think they would stop even if they won a :trophy:

Hey, if Kubiak wins a Super Bowl with the Texans, he can go 0-16 the next year, and I won't mind. I'll give him some slack.

hradhak
10-17-2013, 05:48 PM

One thing I liked with Yates as the starter was the 10 yard out route. Yates was actually pretty effective with that.

I'm not sure what throws will be to Keenum's strength, I never watched him in college, but I think that will help prevent the defense jumping the routes if we see different routes based on Keenum's strengths

ChampionTexan
10-17-2013, 05:52 PM

Well, regardless of what you think of it, it would be kind of stupid to change the system that Case has been learning and practicing under since 2012 OTA's. I don't think anybody realistically expects that.

However to say there are components of that system that we haven't seen for awhile, and that cater to what Gary and Rick D. perceive as Case's strengths is a completely realistic expectation. I would hope the play calling - and therefore the outward appearance of the system - change considerably based on attempting to exploit those strengths.

utahmark
10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I hope all you "homers" are right. Go Case!

The1ApplePie
10-17-2013, 05:56 PM
So, when Schaub gets healthy and gets his job back, how will this board react?

This isn't some passing of the torch (yet).

This isn't Kaepernick or Romo, a backup that was groomed to be a starter.

michaelm
10-17-2013, 05:56 PM
When does the injury report come out? I'm half expecting the Texans to announce that Schaub is done for the season, or at least an extended period of time.

TexanBacker93
10-17-2013, 06:02 PM
When does the injury report come out? I'm half expecting the Texans to announce that Schaub is done for the season, or at least an extended period of time.

They could be withholding until after Sunday. If Keenum plays well enough to warrant another chance then I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub is shelved for the year. It saves Keenum having to be looking over his shoulder. Well, he'd be looking over one (at Yates), but not both.

Mr teX
10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't think kubiak will be calling anything different with case that he wouldn't call with Schaub...still expect a heavy dose of Arian/Tate....but if case can just make enough plays to keep extending drives....maybe punch a few in for TD's...I think we can come out with the victory.....as long as the defense and ST's don't crap the bed...the difference ultimately will be how case consistently handles it when the heat is on.

the play action boot stuff has been dead not b/c Schaub can't run but b/c teams know its a tendency of kubiak's playcalling....so he shyed away from it completely.

There's a reason 3 of the 5 pick 6's came off of throws to the TE's and why 98% of all our passing TD's are to the damn TE's...

If he's gonna do this spark thinghe needs to go all out and think outside his conservative box.

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Espn radio just had a dr on and said he thought Schaub would be ready in a week or so. He didn't think there was any structural damage based on Matts activity since Sunday

Thorn
10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Espn radio just had a dr on and said he thought Schaub would be ready in a week or so. He didn't think there was any structural damage based on Matts activity since Sunday

IF Keenum has a good day and we win, I don't think Kubiak will have a choice in the matter even if Schuab is ready.

kingtexan
10-17-2013, 06:13 PM
This has Bucky Richardson written all over it...

Bucky was a bright spot the year he started, and made the game worth going to for us season ticket folks. Love your sig, like the way that dude thinks ...

steelbtexan
10-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Very limited

What bothers me is that Gary would rather be limited with Schaub than giving Case a try. It took injury for Case to get his chance.

I'm very interested to see how Case does against a very good K.C. defense. I think we all know what Schaub would've done, so this is addition by subtraction. IMHO

CeeQue
10-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Hope I'm wrong. I say 95% chance we go 2-5 by starting Case... season over.

Vance87
10-17-2013, 06:14 PM

This is Matt Schaub we're talking about. He has the superhuman ability to regrow and/or heal healthy tissue at 1/4th the speed of a normal man.

JamesBill
10-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Our QB won't go down after feeling a DE within 2 foot of him. Case is a freaking warrior.

EllisUnit
10-17-2013, 06:17 PM

I agree with this, think back a few seasons ago with how much we used to boot leg, and how much it opened up the field, we have not seen that the last few years. Might see some more of that this sunday.

Mr teX
10-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Very limited

What bothers me is that Gary would rather be limited with Schaub than giving Case a try. It took injury for Case to get his chance.

I'm very interested to see how Case does against a very good K.C. defense. I think we all know what Schaub would've done, so this is addition by subtraction. IMHO

Kubiak has always said that he does what he thinks is best for the team....if he felt he was so limited with Schaub as you and others have said...and he's got a guy on the bench he felt could relieve this burden...I have to believe he makes the move to go to the better option.

I think most here believe that had Schaub been healthy this week, he likely starts this week..

So I doubt he feels he's as limited as you guys claim he is. Some throws he asked Schaub to make certainly don't indicate he feels he's limited with him.

SchaubApologist
10-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Very limited

Gary gave Schaub a fair shake.. Well, more than fair. But, it's time to move on. If we suck with Keenum, oh well. We can put Schaub back in and continue to suck and draft a QB.

This is a win-win situation, and I am sure the players are happy with Kubiak's decision.

SchaubApologist
10-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Kubiak has always said that he does what he thinks is best for the team....if he felt he was so limited with Schaub as you and others have said...and he's got a guy on the bench he felt could relieve this burden...I have to believe he makes the move to go to the better option.

I think most here believe that had Schaub been healthy this week, he likely starts this week..

So I doubt he feels he's as limited as you guys claim he is. Some throws he asked Schaub to make certainly don't vibe with skill set..

I am not convinced that Schaub is not healthy enough to play. This is the polite way to send Schaub to the pine. It's Schaub's limitations (mobility, pocket presence, arm strength, lack of grit, mental toughness, won't go through progressions, etc..) that forced Kubiak's hand.

Kubiak is fighting for his job too. He HAS to shake things up before he loses the locker room.

DX-TEX
10-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1h
"I try to play to prove everybody right thatís believed in me, more so than play to prove everybody wrong," Keenum says. #Texans

Keenum said he read Drew Brees's book and took lessons from him as a fellow short quarterback and one who came back from injury. #Texans

Keenum shows more personality in here than Schaub, who goes to great lengths to hide his publicly. #Texans

"I guess I can officially say, this is going to be the best NFL defense Iíve ever faced," Keenum says with a grin. #Texans

"It means a lot to have the guys have my back," Keenum says. #Texans

"Itís our job to go out and play a football game, which is pretty sweet," Case Keenum. #Texans

Love this kids moxy.

SchaubApologist
10-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Love this kids moxy.

F YA!!! Let's GO!!!!!!!!!

PockyAF
10-17-2013, 06:35 PM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k478/daniel78753/CASEMANIA_zpsbfe518f0.png

CASE-SANITY

Dutchrudder
10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Those random splotches of GB vs CLE are odd.

michaelm
10-17-2013, 06:40 PM

The non-random splotch of gray centered on Nashville is hilarious.

Grams
10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Well this has made my day. I am now excited to watch the game Sunday instead of dreading it.

:fans::texan::gotexans1

darnbni99a
10-17-2013, 06:52 PM
ill be damned!!!!! I think Case has serious potential but i dont wanna get my hopes up too high. Its his 1st game & were playing the best D in the league. It should be fun to watch tho. Hope Case shines on these boys!!!

Coolhand_Luke
10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Does Anybody sense a conspiracy here? First off, I'm happy Schaub finally sits the hell down. But I think Kubiak is scared to death to start slow a** Schaub against KC defense. He knows Matt will get killed, and I donít even think he's hurting anymore. He should have started Case or TJ last week against the lowly Rams. But no, he wanted Matty to have the easy one to redeem himself and Matty still couldnít get it done. So why not give the fans what they want and take the heat off from his boy and himself this week against KC. I don't think it's fair for Case to play his first game against KC's D but I wish him good luck. Kube, that's a cowardly move, man.

badboy
10-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Does Anybody sense a conspiracy here? First off, I'm happy Schaub finally sits the hell down. But I think Kubiak is scared to death to start slow a** Schaub against KC defense. He knows Matt will get killed, and I donít even think he's hurting anymore. He should have started Case or TJ last week against the lowly Rams. But no, he wanted Matty to have the easy one to redeem himself and Matty still couldnít get it done. So why not give the fans what they want and take the heat off from his boy and himself this week against KC. I don't think it's fair for Case to play his first game against KC's D but I wish him good luck. Kube, that's a cowardly move, man.Or it could be your assumption is wrong and Matt is not healthy and Gary is starting whom he thinks offers best chance of a win. i do think he should have started Keenum against St Louis.

paycheck71
10-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Does Anybody sense a conspiracy here? First off, I'm happy Schaub finally sits the hell down. But I think Kubiak is scared to death to start slow a** Schaub against KC defense. He knows Matt will get killed, and I donít even think he's hurting anymore. He should have started Case or TJ last week against the lowly Rams. But no, he wanted Matty to have the easy one to redeem himself and Matty still couldnít get it done. So why not give the fans what they want and take the heat off from his boy and himself this week against KC. I don't think it's fair for Case to play his first game against KC's D but I wish him good luck. Kube, that's a cowardly move, man.

:kubepalm:

TexansSeminole
10-17-2013, 07:14 PM

No. I don't see a conspiracy. I see Kubiak sticking with his guy through the early part of the season until the injury and now had to choose between two backups and he chose Case. Pretty straight forward.

rush2112mn
10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
I like the idea of starting Case this week. I think he could have started last week too. But I like it because he is mobile he can move around he is not going to be a sitting duck. He can throw the ball down field....we have the receivers....we just needed the arm....we got it.
If our offensive line can just give him some time....I think he will do just fine.

I keep hearing this from players....he has a aura.....a spark....he is enthusiastic.....I want to see those things from a qb....not reserved....not quiet.....you need a qb that has that special something.....its intangible.....someone the other players want to play for....I dont think Schaub has that.....I think he has lost confidence myself.

Sure it is a tough enviornment to go into. Its Kansas City....but why not.....lets see what he can do. Give the guy a chance.....
I think he can suceed my self.
People who dont want to give him a chance....wait and see what happens you never know.....
There was this rb who was undrafted...a while back....23.....Foster.....look what he did....

People make a big deal about height...go talk to Russel Wilson...hello.....

:texflag::fans::marionaner::logo::wherewill:texan:

EllisUnit

Not really especially considering case would not be starting if Schaub was not hurt, i'm just happy he is getting a shot. I know its a rough first one but i think he will shock a few people.

Mr teX
At the end of the day, if he's the real deal, it doesn't matter who he makes his start against...he'll shine...

I'm not any more excited to watch this game than I normally am...I love the game and am always pumped to see my team......win or lose

I'll get real giddy if this move puts us back in real contention for the playoffs...

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Fans call for case to start
Fans complain case won't get the chance
Case gets the nod
Fans blame Gary for possible poor performance
Fans make up theories as to why case got the start

Fwiw might want to review last weeks game to help you see why "Matt couldn't get it done" because a lot of that will carry over for Case

EllisUnit
10-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Fans call for case to start
Fans complain case won't get the chance
Case gets the nod
Fans blame Gary for possible poor performance
Fans make up theories as to why case got the start

Fwiw might want to review last weeks game to help you see why "Matt couldn't get it done" because a lot of that will carry over for Case

your already assuming he will not be succesful ? Cant be worse than Schaub the past month.

DX-TEX
10-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Was this posted today? tweeted right after the announcement:

Deandre Hopkins ‏@Nukdabomb 4h
Shake an bake Ricky

http://cdn.gifstache.com/2013/8/2/201308021147_1375462041.402349.gif

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 07:24 PM
your already assuming he will not be succesful ? Cant be worse than Schaub the past month.

I said nothing of the sort

TejasTom
10-17-2013, 07:25 PM

These are usually associated with a player's alma mater.

EllisUnit
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I said nothing of the sort

your talking about the excuses as to why he will be unsuccesful. You didnt come flat out and say it but why else even mention it ? We all know you prefer Schaub, why cant ya just be happy for the kid and see what he can do ?

2012Champs
10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
your talking about the excuses as to why he will be unsuccesful. You didnt come flat out and say it but why else even mention it ? We all know you prefer Schaub, why cant ya just be happy for the kid and see what he can do ?

I was just retyping what case fans have already posted. It's a total hedge against any way this rolls. I already said I hope the kid does well and anyone who started for us Id want the same

YeaLikeRightNow
10-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I look at the upcoming game this way:

Yes, we're all afraid of Case becoming "Kubieized" with dull and lackluster play-calling, but the excitement I am beginning to feel at this point is the ways in which those same plays could/will break down, and it's left to Keenum to work his way out of them.

This is where the interest must be. Even in a losing effort, we shall learn of the potential Case has with this team in the future.

Even in a loss, if we learn more about his potential, and he remains our starter after the bye; isn't that somewhat like a victory in itself?

chicagotexan2
10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Our QB won't go down after feeling a DE within 2 foot of him. Case is a freaking warrior.

I don't know if keenum is a warrior but ill be pleased if he doesn't go down like Schaub aka the fainting goat.

ATXtexanfan
10-17-2013, 07:42 PM
not a case fan...............but dude i'm geeked out for his opportunity. hope he balls out and gives the chiefs hell. really hope schaub is lefton the shelf to collect dust

qqert
10-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Was this posted today? tweeted right after the announcement:

:goodpost:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/279/423/talladega_nights_display_image.jpg?1277919243

IlliniJen
10-17-2013, 07:44 PM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k478/daniel78753/CASEMANIA_zpsbfe518f0.png

CASE-SANITY

Heh. ****** you, Nashville!

chicagotexan2
10-17-2013, 07:46 PM
:kubepalm:

Ditto. C'mon man. conspiracy? really?

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 07:46 PM

There was a time when we said the same about Matt.

JamesBill
10-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't know if keenum is a warrior but ill be pleased if he doesn't go down like Schaub aka the fainting goat.

Not a Keenum homer, but the guy is a warrior.

Nothing about his heart or his head is in question. Unlike Schaub.

chicagotexan2
10-17-2013, 08:20 PM

I don't question schaubs heart. I question what's between the ears. His confidence is shot and his deduction making ability has tanked.

Mr teX
10-17-2013, 08:21 PM

dude got a chunk of his ear ripped off last year.....i dont think his coaches or teammates questioned his heart...only fans for silly reasons at that.

His head....a different matter all together.

Rey
10-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Yes, we're all afraid of Case becoming "Kubieized"

I'm not afraid if that at all.

JamesBill
10-17-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't question schaubs heart. I question what's between the ears. His confidence is shot and his deduction making ability has tanked.

What is failing him when he hears footsteps? I call that heart, you are just saying it is a business decision? He is thinking "Well I have bird bones, so I better not get folded in half, might as well just fall down"

JamesBill
10-17-2013, 08:25 PM
dude got a chunk of his ear ripped off last year.....i dont think his coaches or teammates questioned his heart...only fans for silly reasons at that.

Folds under pressure, but no one questions his heart.

Honestly confused.

Thorn
10-17-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't think very many question what Schaub has meant to us in the past, just what he means to us now.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Just woke up and saw this thread. I Can't believe Case will be a starting QB against KC game!

Go Case Go!!!!!

hradhak
10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I think Schaub has served us well in the past, but this team has a lot of talent and unless he can sort out his throwing issues, and he is no longer capable of leading it.

That said, only Sunday will begin to tell us whether Keenum is the answer for the future. Let him play, and let the rest of the team rally around him.

Corrosion
10-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Yes, we're all afraid of Case becoming "Kubieized" with dull and lackluster play-calling, but the excitement I am beginning to feel at this point is the ways in which those same plays could/will break down, and it's left to Keenum to work his way out of them.

This is where the interest must be. Even in a losing effort, we shall learn of the potential Case has with this team in the future.

Even in a loss, if we learn more about his potential, and he remains our starter after the bye; isn't that somewhat like a victory in itself?

Question - Do you think this years version of Schaub is capable of "opening up the offense and making downfield throws"?

cstyle42
10-17-2013, 08:42 PM

I question his confidence under pressure... so where is his heart then? Maybe the guy just lacks what it takes from a physical and talent wise perspective.

infantrycak
10-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Folds under pressure, but no one questions his heart.

Honestly confused.

Yes you are.

When a play is there to be made he makes the throw and takes the shot. When a play is not there he plays smart just like Peyton has always done and goes down. There is no nobility to taking an unnecessary shot which will not benefit the team.

dream_team
10-17-2013, 08:49 PM

It's called avoiding big hits, something Peyton and Brady do as well. If Keenum wants a long career, he's going to have to learn how to avoid taking hits as well.

thunderkyss
10-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't know what kind of commercials you guys see in Houston. But any commercial around here for a Texans' football game has the other teams QB vs Jj Watt... it used to be the other teams QB vs Arian Foster. Before that is was the other teams' QB vs Brian Cushing & before that Andre Johnson.

Come January, if they're advertising our divisional round play off game as "Case Keenum & the Houston Texans take on Aj Green & the Cincinnati Bengals."

Then I'm fine going forward with Case Keenum as our defacto starter. But, I want both Tj & Schaub gone & a "Nick Foles, Kurt Cousins" sitting on the bench.

EllisUnit
10-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Just woke up and saw this thread. I Can't believe Case will be a starting QB against KC game!

Go Case Go!!!!!

it must suck to always be a day behind all the news ;)

Surreal McCoy
10-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Bucky was a bright spot the year he started, and made the game worth going to for us season ticket folks. Love your sig, like the way that dude thinks ...

Hello CK! :mariopalm: