PDA

View Full Version : IT's the O'Lines fault

Hottoddie
10-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Is it just me or has Gary been trying to shift some of the blame on the defense the last 2-3 weeks? They definitely laid a goose egg today, but I can't help but attribute that to frustration & fatigue. Prior to today they were the #1 defense in the NFL. We know the ST's have always sucked, but they aren't the biggest problem at the moment either.

Fix the offense & this team starts playing like a contender again. Is it Schaub? Is it Gary's play calling? Is it the O'line? It's definitely not the running game. What's the problem with our offense?

Schaub: He's just fine with the short dinks from the pocket, but loses any semblance of accuracy when he has to scramble out of the pocket or feels pressure. Is the O'Line doing it's job effectively?

Gary's play calling: Gary called an even more conservative game today due to the Schaub situation. Why not roll Schaub out on more naked boot legs? He's been pretty successful with those plays in the past. Is Schaub still capable of rolling out?

O'Line: The left side is solid, but the right side is not. We can run block very effectively, but our pass protection is very suspect. Notice how Schaub's picks (12) & sacks (27) have increased over the last 10 regular season games starting with the New England game last year. This is also about the time the losses started piling up. Eleven of those picks have occured in the last 7 games. Is it possible that at 32 years old, Matt is feeling the effects of sacks in general & even more so with the increased sacks above his regular average? Hmmm......, is the O'Line at fault or is Matt causing the increased number of sacks?

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/gamelogs?season=2012

NE (L) 1 Int, 2 Sck
IND (W) 0 Int, 3 Sck
MIN (L) 0 Int, 3 Sck
IND (L) 2 Int, 4 Sck

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/gamelogs?season=2013

SD (W) 1 Int, 2 Sck
Ten (W) 2 Int, 2 Sck
BAL (L) 1 Int, 3 Sck
SEA (L) 2 Int, 4 Sck
SF (L) 3 Int, 1 Sck
STL (L) 0 Int, 3 Sck

Summary: Matt is obviously not mobile & doesn't have a very strong arm. The problem is, he's always been that way & it was not that long ago that he was guiding the #3 offense in the NFL with those same limitations. As I see it, the O'Line is the problem & it became a problem when the team had to let the right side walk due to salary cap restrictions. As a result, Gary has to call a more conservative game than usual & once we get behind, it's almost impossible to catch up with our limitations.

The team has to find a way to fix the O'Line or find themselves a more mobile QB to run the offense until the O'Line gets up to speed. I'm not making excuses for Schaub. I'm just as disgusted as anyone else on this board or in the stands. I'm just trying to see if there is something driving the latest failures. Personally, I'd like to see Case get a shot once the season is for all practical purposes, lost.

RTP2110
10-13-2013, 08:49 PM
I've mentioned the same before. This is a bad QB/o-line pairing currently. That being said, the excellent o-line play we had a few years ago is more exception than rule, and we can't really expect that level of o-line play all the time. QB's have to be able to evade pressure, and more importantly, make plays outside of the pocket. Schaub struggles at both.

Goes back to my biggest knock on him. He's only good when everything around him is perfect. If the offense has significant deficiencies, and it's you need Schaub to pick up some of the slack, he can't do it.

Wolf
10-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Even with Foster gashing the rams defense in the first action. I was waiting for the rams to adjust and the Texans run their play action pass for a deep bomb. Well that never happened.

So I wonder why is that?

When was the last time we saw that potent play action that used to fool defense for a big gain?

Tailgate
10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
In reality, the O-line is the basis of everything we do in this system. When its a well oiled machine, this offense is pretty damn good and tough to stop as we have seen in the past, even with our limitation at QB.

Alex Gibbs, it does kinda seem the further removed we are from him....

dtran04
10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
NOBODY is afraid of getting beaten deep. AJ is banged up and just isn't fast enough. He's morphing into a Boldin type of player. Hopkins won't beat anybody on a fly route either. The TEs are average athletes.

The few times they've thrown fly routes, they are just jump balls. Haven't seen a Texan get by the defense yet.

Hottoddie
10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
You know, I sometimes wonder if Kubiak is biting his tongue while wanting to scream out "If you hadn't screwed with my O'Line"...,etc etc. How many head coaches will sign off on losing half their O'Line & only be given rookies/journeymen to plug in their place?

Hottoddie
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
NOBODY is afraid of getting beaten deep. AJ is banged up and just isn't fast enough. He's morphing into a Boldin type of player. Hopkins won't beat anybody on a fly route either. The TEs are average athletes.

The few times they've thrown fly routes, they are just jump balls. Haven't seen a Texan get by the defense yet.

While it would be nice to have that burner, it's not necessary when you can rip off 10-20 yard chunks per set of downs. When this offense was working correctly, we did it almost at will.

Vinny
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
You know, I sometimes wonder if Kubiak is biting his tongue while wanting to scream out "If you hadn't screwed with my O'Line"...,etc etc. How many head coaches will sign off on losing half their O'Line & only be given rookies/journeymen to plug in their place?he's a big part of that you know. Nobody gets extended without his approval I'm sure.

Honoring Earl 34
10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
he's a big part of that you know. Nobody gets extended without his approval I'm sure.

I would say they did well with Brandon Brooks . Now go get another guy who can play like that .

Runner
10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
What happened to next man up and the backups are better than the starters?

Reality bites.

Hottoddie
10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I've mentioned the same before. This is a bad QB/o-line pairing currently. That being said, the excellent o-line play we had a few years ago is more exception than rule, and we can't really expect that level of o-line play all the time. QB's have to be able to evade pressure, and more importantly, make plays outside of the pocket. Schaub struggles at both.

Goes back to my biggest knock on him. He's only good when everything around him is perfect. If the offense has significant deficiencies, and it's you need Schaub to pick up some of the slack, he can't do it.

I agree. But the problem is, how do we fix what we have with the least amount of effort/expense? Quality QB's aren't easy to find.

Hottoddie
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
What happened to next man up and the backups are better than the starters?

Reality bites.

Yeah, & it leaves marks too. :D

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Is it just me or has Gary been trying to shift some of the blame on the defense the last 2-3 weeks? They definitely laid a goose egg today, but I can't help but attribute that to frustration & fatigue. Prior to today they were the #1 defense in the NFL. We know the ST's have always sucked, but they aren't the biggest problem at the moment either.

I still think the defense is a much bigger problem than we want to admit. They're probably still going to be the #1 defense in the league. Before the game they were showing stats on those huge screens. Before the game they were the only defense to not allow a 100 yard rusher, 100 yard receiver, or a 200 yard passer. I believe that is still intact.

We're still giving up long scoring drives, but most of those yards are going to penalties, I've got to assume those penalty yards aren't being counted against the defense. They're not rushing, receiving, or passing yards.

But we kicked ST Louis' but in ToP, so the offense is staying on the field giving the defense time to rest. Frustration may be a part of it, but the defense gave up 2 TDs & a field goal before the half.

O'Line: The left side is solid, but the right side is not.

Schaub was well protected last week & this week & the OL is starting to run block very well. The only problem I've got on the OL today, are the penalties especially in the redzone. We had a 3rd & goal from the 4 that turned into a 3rd & goal from the 9.

We had a 3rd & 7 turn into a 3rd & 22 by a hands to the face that turned into a 3rd & 27 because of a false start. Of course, we ran the draw.

That series that ended with the 3rd & 9, Derek Newton was on the bench until we got into the red zone. Harris was doing fine, then Newton comes flying in, lines up....... false start.

Summary: Matt is obviously not mobile & doesn't have a very strong arm. The problem is, he's always been that way & it was not that long ago that he was guiding the #3 offense in the NFL with those same limitations. As I see it, the O'Line is the problem & it became a problem when the team had to let the right side walk due to salary cap restrictions. As a result, Gary has to call a more conservative game than usual & once we get behind, it's almost impossible to catch up with our limitations.

The team has to find a way to fix the O'Line or find themselves a more mobile QB to run the offense until the O'Line gets up to speed. I'm not making excuses for Schaub. I'm just as disgusted as anyone else on this board or in the stands. I'm just trying to see if there is something driving the latest failures. Personally, I'd like to see Case get a shot once the season is for all practical purposes, lost.

Yates came in, didn't look very good. He's more mobile than Schaub, so we need something more than just "more mobile" I also don't think Gary needs to change the play calling. I don't think Schaub is making the right calls. The plays are there to be made, he's just not making them. If Kubiak has been in the film room with Schaub pointing out plays he's been missing over the last 6 weeks like he should have, then it's time to move on.

I agree that if Yates is named the starter early in the week, take first team snaps & Kubiak can game plan for Yates, he'll probably look better than he did today, but he looked worse than he should have to be the back up QB going against the Rams defense.

Tailgate
10-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Derek Newton playing RT this season has been THE worst player I have seen in this unit since Kubiak arrived. Please for the love of God start Harris at RT, and never let Newton see the field again.

Wade Smith, you are next...