PDA

View Full Version : If Kubes is fired

PHILLYTEXANFAN
10-13-2013, 08:32 PM
If Gary's tenure as Texans HC ends this season, who are the possible replacements, and who would you want as new HC?

hradhak
10-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I am not sure who I'd want.

I worry that guys like Gruden and Cowher have been out of the coaching game for too long.

I'm also not thrilled with having a college coach move up.

The real problem is all the good coaches have jobs.

Rey
10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Of the realistic possibilities I'd probably go after sumlin.

SchaubApologist
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM

I concur. Sumlin is the easy decision IMO.

DX-TEX
10-13-2013, 08:43 PM

No no no. Laugh all you want but I believe Gruden salivates at the thought of coaching this team and it would draw him out.

dtran04
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Someone that is current in this pass happy league. Sooner or later, cut blocking will be outlawed. The spread is the way to go. The NFL is just years behind the NCAA this time around.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
No Charlie Strong fans??? LOL

htowntexans1985
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
We need a coach to put their foot up their collective asses. Not one that acts like eeyore on the on the sideline and after a loss. Cowher, Gruden, I'd even take Coughlin at this point.

And if I had to choose a college coach, it would be David Shaw from Stanford.

SchaubApologist
10-13-2013, 08:47 PM
No no no. Laugh all you want but I believe Gruden salivates at the thought of coaching this team and it would draw him out.

what makes gruden so desirable?

gruden got canned from tampa. he won a superbowl with dungy's team.

gruden runs the same crap offense kubiak does.

NO THANKS

Pollardized
10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I'd want someone who sounds like this

http://youtu.be/JNAqcom3zaY

PHILLYTEXANFAN
10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Whoever it is I hope their a little more aggressive and possibly keep Wade but whoever it is, needs to be exactly opposite of the " Golly G, Aww shucks" mentality

Rey
10-13-2013, 08:51 PM

I don't care what he salivates at. I'd prefer someone fresh with a different perspective.

That said, I'll take gruden over kubiak a day.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't think Sumlin would be interested. He seems like the guy who would wait until his contract is up before he leaves A&M.

Dan Quinn,
The Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator is the only person on my list right now.

cuppacoffee
10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Someone that is current in this pass happy league. Sooner or later, cut blocking will be outlawed. The spread is the way to go. The NFL is just years behind the NCAA this time around.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1792013-everything-you-need-to-know-about-art-briles-best-coach-in-the-state-of-texas

This guy might fit your description.

Might pizz off Baylor fans.

:coffee:

Naiirb
10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
David Shaw, Kyle Shanahan, Lovie Smith just to throw a few names out there

Rey
10-13-2013, 08:54 PM

NO THANKS

A lot of times when this argument is made, it ignores the fact that he win the superbowl against his old team.

And still, even ignoring that, being a finisher is what this team needs. The ability to take a team that's already built and win big with them is not a bad thing in this instance.

I'm sure Tampa is happy that gruden was able to get them over the hump.

hradhak
10-13-2013, 08:55 PM

NO THANKS

Gruden is not top on my list either. He's been out for too long and he never really built a team that he won with.

I'd rather see a defensive minded coach who brings in a good OC.

I think the other option is to start with a GM.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
10-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Ive been saying Kyle needs to be a HC somewhere for a while, I think he'd succeed almost anywhere

Hervoyel
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Can I assume we're talking about the eventual replacement for Wade Phillips here? I mean, really I'm pretty sure Wade is the Head-Coach-in-Waiting here. Like it or not we're probably going to have to sit through a couple of years of Wade giving it one more shot before we get another shot at a legitimate HC.

CoastalTexan
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM

I was going to mention Kyle Shanahan as well, Bob might want to stick with the same system on offense...

steds
10-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Ken Whisenhunt?

SchaubApologist
10-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Can I assume we're talking about the eventual replacement for Wade Phillips here? I mean, really I'm pretty sure Wade is the Head-Coach-in-Waiting here. Like it or not we're probably going to have to sit through a couple of years of Wade giving it one more shot before we get another shot at a legitimate HC.

Nope. I think Wade survives as the DC though.

Lucky
Sumlin would be my pick. He would need a very good NFL d-coordinator.

SchaubApologist
Ken Whisenhunt?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO x infinity.

Wolf
10-13-2013, 09:04 PM

I think you are right

steds
10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO x infinity.

Fair enough

DX-TEX
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I think you are right

He is right. The best that could come of this:

Wade promoted, Vance Joseph promoted to DC, the Redskins stink and the Shanahans are fired in Washington and Kyle is hired as OC

hradhak
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I was going to mention Kyle Shanahan as well, Bob might want to stick with the same system on offense...

How much of it is Kyle Shanahan? When he was here he didn't start calling plays until the end of his tenure. Is his Dad giving him full reign ?

I think our personnel is geared towards him as a coach, just not sure how independent he has been.

hradhak
10-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Nope. I think Wade survives as the DC though.

Does Wade really deserve to survive this? It's hard to separate where the failure is with this team. I feel like a completely clean house would be a good idea at this point.

Honoring Earl 34
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't want a Kubiak , Shannahan , Phillips , or Carr's named mentioned with the Texans future .

leebigeztx
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I thinm lil shanny or greg roman from 49ers. Roman could also bring mangini with him also. I'm thinking Shanny Jr who was a pretty good play caller when he was here.

coon
10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
1. Gruden
2. Saban
3. Mike Zimmer
4. Adam Gase
5 Kyle Shanahan
6. Les Miles (he has more balls than Kubiak could ever dream of)

Texian
10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
DAVID SHAW

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167799

Sumlin has NO NFL experience

Gruden run out of Tampa, several players bad mouthed Gruden after he was let go. Said he wasn't trustworthy, Gruden would look you in the eye and tell you something and as soon as he turns his back he doing opposite of what he promised. Why he left Tampa, he lost the players.

DX-TEX
10-13-2013, 09:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVGO4K_CIAEEA-M.jpg

Manziel/Chucky makin it rain in Reliant 2014!

Norg
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
lets just get ol Wade to be our coach and get a hot Offensive cord

Mr teX
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
A fresh face...with at least NFL coordinator experience....offense or defense

Jay Gruden, Adam Gase, mike zimmer.....maybe even Dirk Koetter, Dean Pees.

If it has to be retred....Cowher or John Gruden..only....maybe mike nolan

Norg
10-13-2013, 09:25 PM

nice LOL

Mr teX
10-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Manziel would absolutely drive Gruden crazy....there's absolutely no way he'd draft Manziel.

HTown2ATX
10-13-2013, 09:32 PM
I vote for Sumlin and Keenum.....revive the Run & Shoot!!!

I would run through the streets naked!

:kubepalm:

:backsout: at my own comment about running through the streets lol!

Pantherstang84
10-13-2013, 09:32 PM

Future Cowboys fan here if that happens.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Good riddance. I would never even joke about becoming a Cowboys fan.

burro
10-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Mack Brown!! Not.

Regardless of whether it is the best option or not, Wade is the obvious choice. It's the easiest decision for McNair to make and the easiest transition. Our sights should be on an OC with a completely different system to the Kubiak/Dennison suck fest. It may be enough.

If I were taking a flyer though, I would take Coughlin. It would only last a couple of years and would toughen some of the younger guys up for the future. Part of our problem is that a large part of our roster has never had their azz properly rode by an NFL HC.

Pantherstang84
10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Good riddance. I would never even joke about becoming a Cowboys fan.

Who says I'm joking. Name one year where he has even won a conference title in NCAA. People around here are acting like he and his gimmick QB are second coming of Bellichek and Brady.

Honoring Earl 34
10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Jack Del Rio

Tailgate
10-13-2013, 09:40 PM
I concur. Sumlin is the easy decision IMO.

I simply don't understand this. Please explain how is this would be such an easy decision for you? Sumlin basically got the Aggie job because of Case Keenum, and now is riding the JF wave. Neither QBs of which he recruited. Sumlin has YET to start his very own QB. Talk about taking a huge leap of faith in my opinion.

Wolf
10-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Jack Del Rio
"Keep chopping wood "

would be the new motto

:kitten:

Mr teX
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Jack Del Rio

He's likely gone to USC.....i dont want him though....wasnt he the coach that tried to save his job by drafting blaine gabbert?

texanhead08
10-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Whomever we picked as coach qb, and O-Line help has to be the number 1 priority for our off season plans as an organization.

Nawzer
10-13-2013, 09:50 PM
The obvious choice here would be Bill Cowher because he has the pedigree. Also, the Texans don't require a complete overhaul. They have a good defense and a good running game. You can build a team around those two aspects and of course you're going to need a QB. I'm assuming Schaub is going to be cut after this season and I don't know if Yates or Keenum are starter quality but we have to find out. If not, they can draft a good QB to build around.

Norg
10-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Whomever we picked as coach qb, and O-Line help has to be the number 1 priority for our off season plans as an organization.

I know a very fast was to fix our OLINE!!!! Fire all of the expect Brown and get new players BAM DONE :P

Doppelganger
10-13-2013, 09:56 PM
How about Tom Clements. He is the o-coordinator for the Packers. As a QB coach he helped make Elvis Grbec, tommy Maddox, and Kordell Stewart each become a pro bowler. Each of these QBs were very different types of QBs as well. He helped Brett Favre have his best season, has developed Aaron Rogers, and even helped Matt Flynn look like a million bucks.

He could help develop the new Texans QB and help mold the team into a high powered offense, prolific offense.

CharloTex
10-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I know a very fast was to fix our OLINE!!!! Fire all of the expect Brown and get new players BAM DONE :P

Um, drink much?

steds
10-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Um, drink much?

Could you blame him?

utahmark
10-13-2013, 10:02 PM
None of those sound good.

Giant Tiger
10-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Mack Brown!! Not.

Regardless of whether it is the best option or not, Wade is the obvious choice. It's the easiest decision for McNair to make and the easiest transition. Our sights should be on an OC with a completely different system to the Kubiak/Dennison suck fest. It may be enough.

If I were taking a flyer though, I would take Coughlin. It would only last a couple of years and would toughen some of the younger guys up for the future. Part of our problem is that a large part of our roster has never had their azz properly rode by an NFL HC.

I was thinking of Coughlin, too :thinking:

rolyat93
10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Jay Gruden from Cincy would have my vote.

AMartin56
10-13-2013, 10:06 PM
No coordinators. I want someone who has been a successful head coach at some level. Even if it was pee wee (since that would still be an improvement over Kubiak).

CharloTex
10-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Could you blame him?

No, I can't. Good point.

Hey, I heard Lane Kiffin is available. :bender:

Yes, I've been drinking too.

Pollardized
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1792013-everything-you-need-to-know-about-art-briles-best-coach-in-the-state-of-texas

This guy might fit your description.

Might pizz off Baylor fans.

You know what, I like this idea. Art Briles should be the next coach of the. Houston Texans.

thetexanator
10-13-2013, 11:04 PM
gimme cowher. tired of this bs.

cuppacoffee
10-13-2013, 11:21 PM
How about Tom Clements. He is the o-coordinator for the Packers. As a QB coach he helped make Elvis Grbec, tommy Maddox, and Kordell Stewart each become a pro bowler. Each of these QBs were very different types of QBs as well. He helped Brett Favre have his best season, has developed Aaron Rogers, and even helped Matt Flynn look like a million bucks.

He could help develop the new Texans QB and help mold the team into a high powered offense, prolific offense.

Hands off Clements.

I want him for the next IRISH coach as soon as the Brian Kelly experiment is over.

My teams are cursed with noodle armed statues for qb.

bhsman
10-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Whether we promote Wade or get someone else as head coach, my main concern is switching the offense to a system that doesn't fit our players, but that seems obvious.

If we end up cleaning house, I'd love to see us get Lovie Smith; very solid defenses throughout his tenure, just got paired with a terrible GM in Angelo. Guys like Del Rio or Coughlin would make me consider my fandom. :choke:

Texan4Ever
10-13-2013, 11:35 PM

NO THANKS

Gruden can light a fire in people's asses and for players who don't respond to screaming he can get personal with them and offer encouragement. What makes him different than Kubiak?

He shows emotion and gets fired up.

Lovie Smith is a consideration considering his track record and the fact that they fielded solid defenses. Don't know what would happen to our 3-4 through.

Norg
10-13-2013, 11:36 PM
I would love me some chucky or Cower but I doubt it will happen

houstonspartan
10-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Gruden can light a fire in people's asses and for players who don't respond to screaming he can get personal with them and offer encouragement. What makes him different than Kubiak?

He shows emotion and gets fired up.

Lovie Smith is a consideration considering his track record and the fact that they fielded solid defenses. Don't know what would happen to our 3-4 through.

Guys, enough with this Gruden nonsense. The guy is a fraud, and players hate him because he is a phony. Tampa fired him after the owners did a little research into the team, and talked to players about Gruden. The players - who has been fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach - dogged him to the owners. Look it up.

All of the scary faces and whatnot means nothing. He's a phony, and his emotions aren't even real. He has a reputation for tossing his players under the bus behind their backs. Why do you think he hasn't been re-hired?

Gruden is non-starter.

I'm really liking the Lovie Smith suggestions, though...

PockyAF
10-14-2013, 12:15 AM
I would love me some chucky or Cower but I doubt it will happen

#Suck4Chuck

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 12:16 AM
If we're going to get a new head coach, I want someone with special teams experience.

chicagotexan2
10-14-2013, 01:33 AM
I don't want gruden. He's just a hokey caricature. I'd like to see cowher or even lovie smith of the experienced nfl hc's. if a promising college coach was available I'd be cool with that too.

WolverineFan
10-14-2013, 01:40 AM
My top 3 right now,

Greg Roman - OC, San Francisco 49ers

Bill O'Brien - HC, Penn State University (previously the New England OC)

Bill Cowher - TV analyst, former Pittsburgh Steelers HC

rolyat93
10-14-2013, 02:14 AM
I like the Bill O Brien idea^^. Forgot about him.

dream_team
10-14-2013, 04:34 AM
I have no idea why some of you think Wade should be immune if the Texans go through a coaching change? Some of you even want to promote him to HC!?

valleytexfan
10-14-2013, 04:59 AM
Mike Zimmer is a badass and would bring an 'edge' to this team. As long as he brought a good OC, I'd love Zim. He'd bring it. None of this 'woe is me' stuff.

HouTx11
10-14-2013, 05:10 AM
I vote for Sumlin and Keenum.....revive the Run & Shoot!!!

I would run through the streets naked!

:kubepalm:

:backsout: at my own comment about running through the streets lol!

I'd say why not? All of the teams have already figured out the system that we currently have. It has become so predictable that the Texans can't even throw TD passes with any QB to beat average teams at home. It has done the city of Houston no better than the R&S has.

welsh texan
10-14-2013, 05:52 AM
What about josh mcdaniels?

Had a rough time of it in Denver, lost his QB right away and got stuck with a media aboration at QB between Orton and Tebow.

I think you look at the team he built and it all looks pretty good. Can see this team netting a top 12 pick to work out a solution at QB, keep the D stable under Wade because the talent isn't too bad, get a decent right tackle and a modern scheme and were back on track.

I also think mcdaniels will have learnt from his previous tenure as HC and that will stand him in good stead for the future.

YeaLikeRightNow
10-14-2013, 08:33 AM
If Gary's tenure as Texans HC ends this season, who are the possible replacements, and who would you want as new HC?

The Texans should go for Kyle Shanahan...he's used to work for us and has a very good offense concept.

Go ahead and bring Kirk Cousins to QB.

Our solutions reside in D.C.!

AMartin56
10-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Whether we promote Wade or get someone else as head coach, my main concern is switching the offense to a system that doesn't fit our players, but that seems obvious.

If we end up cleaning house, I'd love to see us get Lovie Smith; very solid defenses throughout his tenure, just got paired with a terrible GM in Angelo. Guys like Del Rio or Coughlin would make me consider my fandom. :choke:

Frankly our system sucks IMO and I'd rather we have an offensive mind that can get the best out of what he has rather then spend 8 years searching for a roster that fits his system and never getting it right.

I'm not a Jacoby Jones fan but I think it's fairly obvious that the Ravens simplified things for a guy who is average in the intellect department at best...but we could never figure out that it was best to just point him in a direction and tell him to run fast (a bit like Forrest Gump come to think of it).

Exascor
10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not sold on Sumlin. He might be a great coach but imo, he's ridden other coaches recruits. Until we see what he can do without Keenum/Manziel I'd pass. Art Briles would be my pick if it's a collegiate coach. If not, I have no clue.

BullNation4Life
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
You name any and everybody you want to coach this team...

Knowing how Bob McNair works and watching him the last 10+ years, the next head coach is residing as this teams current DC.

No freaking way Bob McNair is not going to hire Bum's son in hopes of Wade Phillips taking this team to a Super Bowl. He has hung onto this fairly tale of the local boy who was a ball boy for the Oilers turned HC to take this team to the promise land, but that fairy tale is just that.

Now the chance for Bum's son to take over the reigns, it will be another 5 years of mediocrity and sadness until Bob McNair pulls his head out of his over-loyal ass and learns how a football team is ran....

TexanBacker93
10-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Gruden is not top on my list either. He's been out for too long and he never really built a team that he won with.

I'd rather see a defensive minded coach who brings in a good OC.

I think the other option is to start with a GM.

In today's NFL I don't know if I want a defensive minded coach. The coach needs to understand that games are won by putting more points on the board than the other team. The only time a D is going to come into play is outdoors in the winter when the passing games are hindered.

The days of smashmouth D, run the ball down their throats O are gone. You need an open offense and most defensive minded coaches (Cowher, Smith, Ryan, Capers) want to run first. They operate under the old beliefs that to win you have to run and stop the run.

It's 2013. It's a new game. Find someone that can open up this offense. We have some talented players on offense. Our RB has wonderful hands and could be a threat if he wasn't just a safety valve. We have 2 TEs with good hands. We have the best receiver of this generation that our HC has never utilized in the red zone. We have a rookie WR that looks like he could be a #1. We should be averaging 35 points a game with these guys. We just need a truly offensive minded HC that will take the training wheels off.

ArlingtonTexan
10-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Never got that sense. Wade has proven to be if anything softer as a head coach than Kubiak with about the same sort of pretty good non-great success. Really no reason to have a 70 year old version of what you already have.

Not convinced that Kubiak is in as much trouble as he should be anyway.

Thorn
10-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Never got that sense. Wade has proven to be if anything softer as a head coach than Kubiak with about the same sort of pretty good non-great success. Really no reason to have a 70 year old version of what you already have.

I feel the same way. I think we're stuck with Kubiak no matter what happens this season. I hate that, I really do, but it just fits with the way things go with this team.

Mr teX
10-14-2013, 10:06 AM
In today's NFL I don't know if I want a defensive minded coach. The coach needs to understand that games are won by putting more points on the board than the other team. The only time a D is going to come into play is outdoors in the winter when the passing games are hindered.

The days of smashmouth D, run the ball down their throats O are gone. You need an open offense and most defensive minded coaches (Cowher, Smith, Ryan, Capers) want to run first. They operate under the old beliefs that to win you have to run and stop the run.

It's 2013. It's a new game. Find someone that can open up this offense. We have some talented players on offense. Our RB has wonderful hands and could be a threat if he wasn't just a safety valve. We have 2 TEs with good hands. We have the best receiver of this generation that our HC has never utilized in the red zone. We have a rookie WR that looks like he could be a #1. We should be averaging 35 points a game with these guys. We just need a truly offensive minded HC that will take the training wheels off.

We have 0 speed at those skill positions though & that's a problem....don't know where it is on the totem pole of our problems, but it's definitely a problem. AJ doesn't really scare anyone deep anymore, Hopkins isn't really a speed guy, Foster & OD aren't really fast.

HOU-TEX
10-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Kubiak isn't going anywhere. Neither is Schaub. Historically, this organization isn't known for doing things like that. Heck, we'll probably even give Kubiak an extension.

Stuck like Chuck

ArlingtonTexan
10-14-2013, 10:16 AM
I feel the same way. I think we're stuck with Kubiak no matter what happens this season. I hate that, I really do, but it just fits with the way things go with this team.

The organization always seems to be like a year behind. Especially if the team manages to get to 7-9 or 8-8, I expect Kubes to get another year. I am 95% sure McNair won't fire Kubiak in season not matter how many 20 point losses we have

Pantherstang84
10-14-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm not either. McNair loves him some Kubiak.

AMartin56
10-14-2013, 10:19 AM

I don't live in Houston anymore. But I can count on one...maybe two hands the number of games I've missed on TV since we got the franchise. If Kubiak is our head coach next year I'm moving on. I'd even take Wade at this point even though it's not ideal (by a long shot). Why? Because it's not even about wins and losses anymore for me....I'm just worn out after seeing eight years of same #$%& different day.

I'm just tired of having the Texans (and to a certain extent my other team... the Longhorns ...over he last 4 years) ruin the football season for me. The Texans have been a bad or frustrating /under performing team outside of a few stretches here and there for too long. And considering Kubiaks performance even when things are going good I'm guarded and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

A friend of mine roots for QBs and will support teams with a good one even if that means jumping around a bit. He enjoys the season a lot more than I do.

ubecool454
10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
If he goes I hope they bring in a more fun loving loose coach. Not saying Gruden or Cowher but one with their type personality.

BullNation4Life
10-14-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't live in Houston anymore. But I can count on one...maybe two hands the number of games I've missed on TV since we got the franchise. If Kubiak is our head coach next year I'm moving on. I'd even take Wade at this point even though it's not ideal (by a long shot). Why? Because it's not even about wins and losses anymore for me....I'm just worn out after seeing eight years of same #$%& different day.

I'm just tired of having the Texans (and to a certain extent my other team... the Longhorns ...over he last 4 years) ruin the football season for me. The Texans have been a bad or frustrating /under performing team outside of a few stretches here and there for too long. And considering Kubiaks performance even when things are going good I'm guarded and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

A friend of mine roots for QBs and will support teams with a good one even if that means jumping around a bit. He enjoys the season a lot more than I do.

Andrew Luck went to one of the High Schools I teach, so I might just take that philosophy and see how it works...

Texecutioner
10-14-2013, 10:24 AM

I have always done that in sports. I have my main teams, and then I have my secondary team and another tema or two that I like usually because of who the QB's are or because of players I like from college. After the Texans I've always rooted for the Patriots out of being a Brady. The comeback drive from Brady yesterday was magical. One for the ages. The Texans don't get me as emotional as they used to. I have learned to expect bad things under Kubiak, so I am usually not surprised.

BullNation4Life
10-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I have always done that in sports. I have my main teams, and then I have my secondary team and another tema or two that I like usually because of who the QB's are or because of players I like from college. After the Texans I've always rooted for the Patriots out of being a Brady. The comeback drive from Brady yesterday was magical. One for the ages. The Texans don't get me as emotional as they used to. I have learned to expect bad things under Kubiak, so I am usually not surprised.

playing fantasy football has kept me from going insane with the way the Texans have been playing. Makes me watch the entire league and individual players, not just one team...

Thanks Fantasy Football! you have saved my sanity...

Thorn
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

I know how you feel. I've always been a fan of the Seahawks, but not in a big way. They've just been my NFC team I'd root for if they happened to be on TV or in the playoffs. But living in Houston, my head won't allow me to switch like that. Even though I'd love to just tell the Texans to piss off, I can't. But it doesn't keep me from still rooting for the Hawks in the playoffs since the Texans obviously won't be there this year.

AMartin56
10-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I look back on my life in 2006 and I would have never imagined all the changes that have occured in the last few years. In 2006 I was in my 4th year with my last girlfriend and starting to realize it wasn't working out. Now I'm happily married (to another woman) and our first child is on the way. All awesome stuff.

But the 2006 version of me wouldn't have anticipated that we'd still be running sad sack Kubiak out there eight years later with little to no real success either.

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm not sold on Sumlin. He might be a great coach but imo, he's ridden other coaches recruits. Until we see what he can do without Keenum/Manziel I'd pass. Art Briles would be my pick if it's a collegiate coach. If not, I have no clue.

I'm not in the Sumlin club, but what difference does this make? Hopefully our next regime will start at the VP of football operations where the GM does his job & the coach does his job. Sumlin should have input on player acquisitions, but nothing like he has now & nothing like Kubiak has now.

cstyle42
10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
The Texans are the most entertaining bipolar football team right now... Kubiak isn't getting fired. This is a good ol boy system it is what it is. Expect for players to get blamed that really shouldn't.

cstyle42
10-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm not in the Sumlin club, but what difference does this make? Hopefully our next regime will start at the VP of football operations where the GM does his job & the coach does his job. Sumlin should have input on player acquisitions, but nothing like he has now & nothing like Kubiak has now.

Has a Houston NFL franchise ever had a black coach? Rick Smith may be enough to Bob McNair...

burro
10-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I think we're all a little shell shocked from 11 years of mediocrity and feeling pretty negative these days. The reality is that Bob McNair watched fans leaving the stadium in the 3rd Q, cheering the starting QB's injury, his team lose by ~30 points for the second week in a row, and a Texans QB throw a pick-six for a 5th straight game. Now our odds of making the playoffs, statistically speaking, is 9%.

Bob McNair is allegedly a businessman, I'd think he knows what another year of Kubiak would mean for his bottom line. This is assuming we don't win 9 of the next 10. :lol:

AMartin56
10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
The Texans are the most entertaining bipolar football team right now... Kubiak isn't getting fired. This is a good ol boy system it is what it is. Expect for players to get blamed that really shouldn't.

Funny you say that. The forums haven't been exactly fun lately but still provide more entertainment than the games lately. For sure.

cstyle42
10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Funny you say that. The forums haven't been exactly fun lately but still provide more entertainment than the games lately. For sure.

In my heart I promise you I'm a big Texans fan. It's got so bad that when they lose I don't even feel anything anymore. Everyone deep down inside knows it's Coach and QB more than anything but we also know nothing will really change positive wise this season. What is there to look forward to regarding this team this year? Open ended question...

utahmark
10-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Just go now.

Pantherstang84
10-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Just go now.

Peace out.

AMartin56
10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
In my heart I promise you I'm a big Texans fan. It's got so bad that when they lose I don't even feel anything anymore. Everyone deep down inside knows it's Coach and QB more than anything but we also know nothing will really change positive wise this season. What is there to look forward to regarding this team this year? Open ended question...

I really don't see anything to look forward to this year football wise. The schedule will get easier soon but what's the point in celebrating if all we can beat is the weak sisters? I take no joy in that.

I'll never root for the Cowboys....at least as long as Jones is the owner. Maybe I'll shift to the Saints. They're regional at least...

GuerillaBlack
10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1019/ncf_g_kenum_sumlin_400.jpg

Seegara
10-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Almost anybody would be better, but it would be best if we could seize Jack del Rio away from Denver. Jacksonville was a tough contender when he was there. Look what happened to them after they fired him. He used to outwit Kubes at every turn. Recall the success of the onside kick, the faked punt, and the hail Mary pass, all compared to the halfback pass the Texans tried against them.

Texan_Bill
10-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Almost anybody would be better, but it would be best if we could seize Jack del Rio away from Denver. Jacksonville was a tough contender when he was there. Look what happened to them after they fired him. He used to outwit Kubes at every turn. Recall the success of the onside kick, the faked punt, and the hail Mary pass, all compared to the halfback pass the Texans tried against them.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

His act wore thin in JAX with not only the players, but the fans as well.

chicagotexan2
10-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Only as long as the next axe he buys in from toys r us.

bhsman
10-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Del Rio is pretty good if you want your football coach to look like a futbol coach.

texanhead08
10-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Del Rio is pretty good if you want your football coach to look like a futbol coach.

I think Delrio is going to end up at USC.

infantrycak
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I don't know how anyone who can recommend Del Rio could have any credibility on coach evaluation.

Barring this being a 4-5 win season I think there is almost no chance Kubiak is fired UNLESS McNair goes to Kubiak and says "I want X done but the final decision remains with you but understand if it doesn't work out you may be gone."

Putting that aside, I see absolutely no reason to expect an improvement out of many of the coaches being suggested especially the NFL retreads. Cowher is an exception except he has been out for seven seasons now - doubt he comes back unless one of the Harbaughs or Belichick has a heart attack.

drs23
10-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Has a Houston NFL franchise ever had a black coach? Rick Smith may be enough to Bob McNair...

edit

Runner
10-14-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't know if there is a single coach that more than a 25% subset of this board would agree on as an upgrade. Each candidate has many, many detractors.

If Kubiak does get the ax, there will be a lot of discussion and then far more people upset rather than pleased with the choice.

HOU-TEX
10-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Mack Brown might be available soon...:backsout::hides:

Tailgate
10-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Just want whoever is the head coach to be able to identify THE BEST available QB in next years draft when we pick. We absolutely have to hit on our choice and bring him along properly.

TexanSam
10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Lovie Smith would be my choice, but I don't think Kubes is getting fired this season unless the team goes 5-11 or worse.

DX-TEX
10-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Lovie Smith would be my choice, but I don't think Kubes is getting fired this season unless the team goes 5-11 or worse.

Just like Kubiak: nice guy, mediocre coach. McNair will make a splash or just go with Wade......which scares me

Mr teX
10-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Don't understand why people keep wanting Lovie Smith. i mean here's a guy who had untold amount of years to solidfy the qb position in Chicago..ultimately couldn't do it & at one point was overly loyal to a certain former texans qb until the FO made him do something......still got him fired b/c he couldn't even anchor a successful offense with a better qb. This very Texans regime had no issues handling his teams over the years either.

Seegara
10-14-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't know how anyone who can recommend Del Rio could have any credibility on coach evaluation.

Barring this being a 4-5 win season I think there is almost no chance Kubiak is fired UNLESS McNair goes to Kubiak and says "I want X done but the final decision remains with you but understand if it doesn't work out you may be gone."

Putting that aside, I see absolutely no reason to expect an improvement out of many of the coaches being suggested especially the NFL retreads. Cowher is an exception except he has been out for seven seasons now - doubt he comes back unless one of the Harbaughs or Belichick has a heart attack.
At least he gave some reasons for his opinion. I don't see any argument to support yours.

Trap_Star
10-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Kubiak has already won....he's beatin' all of us....think about it...

He's managed to keep his job as an NFL HC for damn near a decade while being average at best, all while blaming himself week after week for every short coming.

I salute you master troll *bow down*

TD
10-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Joani Crean :cool:

midway
10-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Who says I'm joking. Name one year where he has even won a conference title in NCAA. People around here are acting like he and his gimmick QB are second coming of Bellichek and Brady.

Then just leave now.

infantrycak
10-14-2013, 06:43 PM
At least he gave some reasons for his opinion. I don't see any argument to support yours.

Well let's see:

He mismanaged QBs.
His teams were erratic.
His teams were undisciplined.
His temper tantrums were annoying.
Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Reggie Nelson, Derrick Harvey + a LT they just traded for a box of kittens and a TE in the 1st who hasn't been as productive as OD from the same draft.
With the exception of 2004-6 he failed to build a good D - and those were good mainly due to Coughlin draft picks Stroud and Henderson.

Oh and he was 65 - 63 with 1 playoff win.

bhsman
10-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Don't understand why people keep wanting Lovie Smith. i mean here's a guy who had untold amount of years to solidfy the qb position in Chicago..ultimately couldn't do it & at one point was overly loyal to a certain former texans qb until the FO made him do something......still got him fired b/c he couldn't even anchor a successful offense with a better qb. This very Texans regime had no issues handling his teams over the years either.

The problem is Chicago seems like it stems more from Angelo's tenure as GM. He'd make picks that would leave Matt Millen blushing.

Ghostform
10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
IF hes fired:

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/9540/e5t.gif

If hes here next year:

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/3020/wdu.gif

busterspencer
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM

You guys gotta be ******** me. Kyle is not winning at Washington as an OC. That is part of the problem now. We have a coach that has never been a head coach and I do not want to wait while he grows into it or not.

I love Sumlin but will take the Baylor coach. There is no-one except Jeff Fisher in the NFL that floats my boat and he is not comming here.

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Just like Kubiak: nice guy, mediocre coach. McNair will make a splash or just go with Wade......which scares me

I'd have more respect for McNair if he promotes Dennison to interim coach.

Make Vance Joseph or Chick Harris the interim coach... anybody but Wade.

Texian
10-14-2013, 08:36 PM
GM = ERIC DeCOSTA

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

HEAD COACH

1. DAVID SHAW, HC Stanford, 9 years exp in the NFL, father an NFL coach, Stanford teams ALWAYS well prepared in all 3PHASES of the game.

2. DARRELL BEVELL, OC Seattle the guy who is responsible for drafting Russell Wilson and starting him at QB for the Seahawks.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/darrell-bevell/aa003c1d-a3a9-49fe-a252-058db004a066

3. DAN QUINN, DC Seattle smart young up coming coach, Top 10 defenses are his forte.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/dan-quinn/ead223b4-1c79-488b-8e3f-6252b753e9d2

4. Sean McDermott, DC Carolina,

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/sean-mcdermott/4fdf89fd-ccb4-4ce0-a5d6-b29026712d99

Trap_Star
10-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm all in on Shaw and drafting a Brett Hundley...and if we were able to give Quinn a raise to come takeover the D, that would be the cherry on top.

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
GM = ERIC DeCOSTA

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

HEAD COACH

1. DAVID SHAW, HC Stanford, 9 years exp in the NFL, father an NFL coach, Stanford teams ALWAYS well prepared in all 3PHASES of the game.

2. DARRELL BEVELL, OC Seattle the guy who is responsible for drafting Russell Wilson and starting him at QB for the Seahawks.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/darrell-bevell/aa003c1d-a3a9-49fe-a252-058db004a066

3. DAN QUINN, DC Seattle smart young up coming coach, Top 10 defenses are his forte.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/dan-quinn/ead223b4-1c79-488b-8e3f-6252b753e9d2

4. Sen McDermott, DC Carolina,

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/sean-mcdermott/4fdf89fd-ccb4-4ce0-a5d6-b29026712d99

We get it. We're not as smart as you. Do you have to flaunt us with your intelligence?

TexansFight
10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
GM = ERIC DeCOSTA

HEAD COACH

4. Sen McDermott, DC Carolina,

Great list. I like DeCosta a lot. Clean house and allow him to bring a coach of his choosing. He helped select Harbaugh as Ravens coach so he has a good track record.

Scooter
10-15-2013, 12:39 AM
i'm still mostly on the kubiak bandwagon. for me the big change has to be in the playcalling. this team is absolutely loaded with talent, with no less than 5 drafted texans being arguably the best at their position. i dont want to give up what kubiak and wade bring to this team as coaches, teachers, talent evaluators, and their schemes. what i would like is a fresh idea to get these guys away from their tendencies a little. not a conflict like sherman was, but a compliment like kyle was growing into.

gary kubiak and wade phillips would be my lifetime coaches like you'd see with the steelers. they have everything you want on offense and defense, on the practice field, podium, locker room, draft, and drawing board. much like finding wade was needed for kubiak, finding the right offensive coordinator will have the same life changing impact. wade is similar, i think he would benefit from a protege, but wade's defense is built purely on 1v1 talent. our defense is young, and we just need to keep adding to it for wade's defense to keep performing at it's best.

thunderkyss
10-15-2013, 08:20 AM
i'm still mostly on the kubiak bandwagon.

I understand & I'd rather Kubiak turn it around than not. I want to win a Super Bowl more than I want a coach who watches field goals. But I don't agree with the play-calling changes.

Getting players out of their tendencies... yes, specifically Schaub, or whoever the QB is. There was a time when mistakes was the biggest issue & we spent a lot of energy to reign our QBs in & take away those mistakes. But right now, we need to put a premium on making plays. If the plays are there in the design of the play, his QB has got to pull the trigger & it's just not happening. Schaub used to be really good at taking what the defense gave us & put up points in the process. Now, not so much.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/Thunderkyss/20131013_205251_zps1060c627.jpg

That's a touchdown. Not very risky if he throws it right. If he stands tall, like he used to do that's a touchdown right there. Instead, he leaves the pocket & settles for a throw a yard short of the goal line.

All day, there were throws to be made but he didn't take them. Some wide open. I understand there were times when he had pressure in his face. I understand there were times when protection broke down. But he's got to beat that (like he used to) just like he's got to beat coverage down field.

Scooter
10-15-2013, 08:40 AM
that's my issue. i'm having trouble with several of kubiak's playcalls, and the predictability of his play progression, but it's not all kubiak. just because someone's running a flare or out route, doesnt mean he's the only player available. there are 4 other eligible receivers on the field.

the standout to me is the pick 6 from yates. the announcer knew the primary target, we knew it, and the rams knew it. and still yates stared it down and threw the ball knowing 2 defenders were sitting on it. was everyone else standing around? is that the only route being run? kubiak in helping schaub has shortened the routes it seems, but schaub (and yates) is the one dumbing it down. short 1 or dump, no reads involved. our offense currently has a very david carr feel, the guy who tied the consecutive completions record without ever meaningfully moving the ball.

Hookem Horns
10-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Guys, enough with this Gruden nonsense. The guy is a fraud, and players hate him because he is a phony. Tampa fired him after the owners did a little research into the team, and talked to players about Gruden. The players - who has been fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach - dogged him to the owners. Look it up.

All of the scary faces and whatnot means nothing. He's a phony, and his emotions aren't even real. He has a reputation for tossing his players under the bus behind their backs. Why do you think he hasn't been re-hired?

Gruden is non-starter.

I'm really liking the Lovie Smith suggestions, though...

Don't know man. The story around here is that the Glaziers checked out after the Super Bowl win, putting all of their attention on Man U. Meaning they left Chuckie high and dry in the sense of not re-signing good players and replacing them with scrubs.

Now that the Glaziers have decided to come back to Florida and put attention on the team again, many fans here want Gruden back because they think he could do a lot with the talent that is here now.

As for the situation of players "fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach" that is what they have now in Rutgers Hitler.

Personally I really like Gruden. He would be a major upgrade over that "it's all on me (however I am going to keep doing the same things over and over again)" guy that we have now.

aussie_texan
10-16-2013, 12:25 AM
HC's i would like to see (in no particular order):
Nick Saban
Mike Zimmer (runs a 4-3 defence though)
David Shaw
Lovie Smith (runs a 4-3 defence though)
Les Miles
Urban Meyer

TheMatrix31
10-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Some of these suggestions are terrible. Jack Del Rio? Really people?

I think Kubiak's time is up, or very damn near up if we don't go on a win 8 or 9 out of 11 game stretch.

One thing I've wanted to comment on is OC. I feel like we don't have enough creativity with Dennison. Felt this way for a couple of years now. I think that's hurt this team a lot. We miss Kyle Shanahan more than it seems. I know we still have "top offenses" statistically, but it's just not the same at all.

infantrycak
10-16-2013, 03:28 AM
The Kyle Shanahan love is a bit thick. He was OC for just two years and one of those was in name only (the first season he did not even make the initial play call). So only in 2009 did he act as OC and even then Kubiak retained override authority as he has done with Dennison. The offensive ranking on points has equaled or bettered that season in each season since. To be fair that is the season Schaub and Johnson led the league at their respective positions although we have since been told yardage doesn't count.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Mike Sherman? We don't have to change much on O side. A little be more power than finesse.

Dishman
10-16-2013, 07:58 AM
The Kyle Shanahan love is a bit thick. He was OC for just two years and one of those was in name only (the first season he did not even make the initial play call). So only in 2009 did he act as OC and even then Kubiak retained override authority as he has done with Dennison. The offensive ranking on points has equaled or bettered that season in each season since. To be fair that is the season Schaub and Johnson led the league at their respective positions although we have since been told yardage doesn't count.

What good is yardage if you can't convert for a touchdown?

thunderkyss
10-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Is Mike Smith out of a job if the Falcons don't make the play-offs?

Texian
10-16-2013, 11:48 AM
A few questions for the fans and supporters of Kevin Sumlin to be the next HC.

Does the fact that Sumlin has no NFL experience concern you?

Does the fact that A&M's defense is not very good bother you at all?

If you take Johnny Football out of the offense would the A&M offense be average at best?

Double Barrel
10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
You name any and everybody you want to coach this team...

Knowing how Bob McNair works and watching him the last 10+ years, the next head coach is residing as this teams current DC.

No freaking way Bob McNair is not going to hire Bum's son in hopes of Wade Phillips taking this team to a Super Bowl. He has hung onto this fairly tale of the local boy who was a ball boy for the Oilers turned HC to take this team to the promise land, but that fairy tale is just that.

Now the chance for Bum's son to take over the reigns, it will be another 5 years of mediocrity and sadness until Bob McNair pulls his head out of his over-loyal ass and learns how a football team is ran....

You hit the nail on the head. The folks that have paid attention for the past decade get it.

Not because Wade is the best choice, but rather because this is exactly how Bob McNair operates his franchise.

Completely overhauling a front office is, in his words, a traumatic experience. It is obviously a task that he neither relishes nor finds positive.

The safe choice is Wade. They will mix up some staff, but for the most part, many of the same pieces would remain in place. They would keep the defensive scheme, so half the roster already fits.

However, I do not see it happening before 2014 unless the Texans have already won all the games they will win this year. Doubtful this team is that bad, though...

Your last line says it all. Fans can clamor and protest until they are blue in the face, but it means absolutely nothing to our owner.

He will let Kubiak go when he's ready to let go, not when the market dictates it to him.

I'm sure McNair appreciates fan loyalty and merchandise purchases, but let's not be delusional that he finds any of us enlightening on this particular subject.

You know I've been the same about Brady/Patriots. They are fun to watch. That victory against the Saints was amazing, but so 'normal' for Brady. We probably both watched the ending just because we know it's in him and Belichick to never give up until 0:00 is on the clock.

Well let's see:

He mismanaged QBs.
His teams were erratic.
His teams were undisciplined.
His temper tantrums were annoying.
Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Reggie Nelson, Derrick Harvey + a LT they just traded for a box of kittens and a TE in the 1st who hasn't been as productive as OD from the same draft.
With the exception of 2004-6 he failed to build a good D - and those were good mainly due to Coughlin draft picks Stroud and Henderson.

Oh and he was 65 - 63 with 1 playoff win.

Okay, so you have facts.

But...but....Jack LOOKS like a head coach! And apparently, that's important to some folks.

Just because his resume screams "I am a coordinator" as much as Kubiak's does, let's not get in the way of a good popularity contest based on superficial reasons.

Scooter
10-16-2013, 01:59 PM

i wasnt his biggest fan when he was here, but looking back our offense definitely seemed a bit different during kyle's tenure. i think that's what we need - someone who's in tune with our staff and can work within the scheme, but someone who also does things with his own style. kubiak obviously gets repetitive and kyle broke him out of his ways just enough to improve our passing game. it's gotten stale again and needs a change, someone to shake things up a little.

Texian
10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
i wasnt his biggest fan when he was here, but looking back our offense definitely seemed a bit different during kyle's tenure. i think that's what we need - someone who's in tune with our staff and can work within the scheme, but someone who also does things with his own style. kubiak obviously gets repetitive and kyle broke him out of his ways just enough to improve our passing game. it's gotten stale again and needs a change, someone to shake things up a little.

I think Shanahan was only more Kubiak rewarding his friends and any limited success had more to do with Eric Winston, Demeco Ryans, Jacoby Jones, Neil Rackers, Lawrence Vickers, Joel Dressen, Jason Allen, Mike Brisel and Mario Williams being on the team rather than Mike Shanahan's son being the OC. There is also an argument for the reason the Texans are not as successful today is because they've never been able to replace Eric Winston, Demeco Ryans, Jacoby Jones, Neil Rackers, Lawrence Vickers, Joel Dressen, Jason Allen, Mike Brisel and Mario Williams with equal or better quality talent. And why is that? The last 4 years the Texans have had their hands tied and their backs up against the salary cap wall.

Scooter
10-16-2013, 03:30 PM
that's one way of looking at it, the other is you cant afford to pay 20 probowlers. we must be doing something right if we're drafting and coaching up so much talent that they're getting major deals elsewhere. we still were second in probowl attendees last year with 8 despite losing so much talent. graham is equal or better than dreessen, watt and mario, brooks and briseil, hopkins and jacoby, and more. you're completely full of it if you think that drafting and keeping our own is the problem.

sure we have holes, but who doesnt? the issue is the most important position on the field, and to a lesser extent the playcalling for that one position.

GuerillaBlack
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
that's one way of looking at it, the other is you cant afford to pay 20 probowlers. we must be doing something right if we're drafting and coaching up so much talent that they're getting major deals elsewhere. we still were second in probowl attendees last year with 8 despite losing so much talent. graham is equal or better than dreessen, watt and mario, brooks and briseil, hopkins and jacoby, and more. you're completely full of it if you think that drafting and keeping our own is the problem.

sure we have holes, but who doesnt? the issue is the most important position on the field, and to a lesser extent the playcalling for that one position.

Yeah I think we do a good job with drafting. It's just the QB and stubborn coach that is pulling the rest of the team down. And yeah, some cap blunders by Smith, too, but the Texans do draft well.

thunderkyss
10-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Koch & Kalu aired this Titanic parody (http://www.sports790.com/pages/koch_and_kalu.html) yesterday....... I thought it was pretty funny, check it out.