PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Bob McNair

Texian
10-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Bob,

Forget about my call to hire Jim Harbaugh in 2010 or for going all-in for RGIII in 2012. Forget about my prediction the Colts would be #1 in division in 2013 if you didn’t find an answer to Andrew Luck. It didn’t then and it doesn’t now take a genius to understand that Andrew Luck is going to be so much better than Matt Schaub. The question today is what to do about it and it appears the TEXANS still have NO SUCH PLAN. My earlier suggestions & predictions DO NOT seem so outlandish today but the question NOW is how to fix the Texans in 2014 and going forward.

First and foremost, recognize the fact that the Texans do not have a Matt Schaub problem, they’ve a Gary Kubiak problem. With Kubiak teams you always expect a month where they collapse and go in to a funk. With Kubiak teams they often appear NOT well prepared in all 3 phases of the game. With Kubiak teams their record disappoints against teams that are .500 or better.

Mr. McNair you commented in 2006 that Bob Kraft was your friend and mentor since becoming an owner in the NFL. You also stated that going forward you wanted to model your team after the New England Patriots. Understandable after the Patriots had won 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. So you hired Gary Kubiak to be your Bill Belichick and Rick Smith to be Gary’s Scott Pioli. Mr. Kraft has stated the reason he hired Belichick to run his team is because Bill had an Economics degree and understood the bigger longer term picture of operating an NFL franchise. Belichick not only knows X and Os but is also well educated in financial management and how to organize a well run draft. The error in your Patriots Model is you hired a guy with a Physical Education degree who only understands the X and Os. The Texans bigger longer term picture has been compromised by a consistent lack of understanding and management of the salary cap.

Don’t get me wrong, I too think Gary Kubiak is a wonderful human being. When you call the roll there are not very many fine human beings as Gary Kubiak. I am sure we all wish there were more folks as kind, caring and as loyal as Gary. He’s also an outstanding offensive coordinator. Gary may want to win as much as Bill Belichick but he doesn’t know how to win like Belichick. There is also a difference in the level and standard to the “Commitment to Excellence”. Belichick wants smart minds, great teachers and coaches. Gary wants to reward his friends.

After 7 years, it is clear, Kubiak is not Belichick, Smith is not Pioli and Schaub is not Brady. The evidence is clear when you compare salary cap management and player personnel decisions. The current salary cap management has left the Texans beginning the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons with their hands tied with little or no room for improvement. The 2014 salary cap looks the same as the previous years and 2015 looks even more dire. Wanting to win is different than knowing how to win. Going forward a new GM and Head Coach should be afforded the opportunity to pick their own QB. To do otherwise is repeating 2006. To do otherwise is to repeat a decision that gave us the last 7 years, 2006 – 2013. To do otherwise is more of the same.

The last 2 years in the playoffs have created a false hope for the current Texans. There is a valid argument that the Texans limited successes had as much to do with other teams decline (absence of Fisher and Manning). There is also a valid argument that the Texans decline is directly due to the vast improvements these teams have made in 2013. There will be a greater concern because these teams also have the resources and the money to further improve in upcoming years, the Texans DO NOT. The Texans are limited and at a disadvantage because they’ve have mortgaged the future every year since 2010.

Because of these management decisions you’re bound to repeat the same pattern of behavior and operations that you’ve created in 2011, 2012 and 2013. It has become a downward spiral. While other teams are taking 2 and 3 steps forward your team will continue taking 1 and 2 steps backwards. Simply put, many of the teams the Texans are playing this year are much better and the Texans are not. For example, teams like the Ravens sign their QB to $100 million contract and are still able to sign 3 Pro Bowl free agents in 2013.

1. CLEAN HOUSE and FIX the SALARY CAP where each year you can get better rather than trying to find band aids to maintain status quo for the current year. Improve your player personnel with decisions based on the long term future and success of the Texans instead of just planning for the current season at hand.

2. Hire a GM in the mold of Ozzie Newsome or Ted Thompson. A friendly recommendation, your first calls for a GM should go to two strong potential candidates, both highly intelligent and well versed in the NFL.

ERIC DECOSTA, Assistant GM Baltimore Ravens. Eric started with Ravens 17 years ago at the bottom and has worked his way up through the ranks to be the assistant GM.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

OLIVER LUCK and you may want to inquire sooner rather than later to head off the University of Texas or Oliver could be their next Athletic Director.

http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory.cfm?func=view&staffID=2040

3. HEAD COACH, a back channel call to DAVID SHAW’s agent should be an immediate high priority.

DAVID SHAW has coached in the NFL for 9 years, son of an NFL coach and is well versed with the NFL. Shaw’s college team is ALWAYS WELL PREPARED in ALL 3 Phases of the game.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167799

BOLD RESULTS require BOLD ACTIONS. A few people know how to make things happen, many folks don’t. The time for Conventional thinking was yesterday, NOT today. By making the above wish list a reality, you would have your Ozzie Newsome, your Jimmy Johnson and if needed your Herschel Walker in JJ Watt.

Regards & Best Wishes going forward,

panamamyers
10-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I can still remember the goofballs that were saying that Harbaugh had never proven it at the professional level.
Absolutely no intuition or foresight at all.

kingtexan
10-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I can still remember the goofballs that were saying that Harbaugh had never proven it at the professional level.

Kind of like the ones supporting Schaub all these years?

CretorFrigg
10-13-2013, 02:55 PM
For all you kids out there...

tl;dr version: Fire Gary Kubiak.

OzzO
10-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Bob,

Forget about my call to hire Jim Harbaugh in 2010 or ...

Nice! Double rep if you email it to him. Triple if you wallpaper his office door with this.

kingtexan
10-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Maybe McNair just wants to draft Johnny Football, and has told the team to make sure it happens ...

MEGA SWATT
10-13-2013, 03:02 PM
All he cares about is $

Uncle Rico
10-13-2013, 03:07 PM
TLDR

Another guy wanting credit for making good guesses, maybe he should apply for an NFL GM position.

PS : Bobby can you not stuff your face with snacks on live TV while your team is getting trucked? Seems like you didn't care too much.

Norg
10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
your letter will go straight to the Sectary Trash can LOL

Marcus
10-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Is there actually someone here that is deluded enough to think that Bob McNair would read an "Open Letter to Bob McNair" thread on a freaking message board?

If there is, I want the drug he's using.

Vent, but don't hallucinate.

HJam72
10-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Is there actually someone here that is deluded enough to think that Bob McNair would read an "Open Letter to Bob McNair" thread on a freaking message board?

If there is, I want the drug he's using.

Vent, but don't hallucinate.

See, Bob, there's the problem. You just need to get on some drugs. :)

Ryan
10-13-2013, 04:58 PM
I hope we keep Rick Smith he has built a great roster. There's no one to coach them properly though.

Playoffs
10-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Dear Bob,

Please open your prodigious checkbook and write a check to the first guy on either the Chargers/Ravens/Seahawks/49ers/Rams coaching staffs who promises to tell Coach Kubiak how he is tipping his playcalling -- because everybody (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/rams-express-sympathy-for-matt-schaub-in-postgame-comments/) knows what's coming before the snap.

Hint: He'll look like this guy...

http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/02/04/moneyball-jonah-hill_610.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/)

Sincerely,
TexanFan

steds
10-13-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm not entirely sure Jonah Hill has any NFL experience

MEGA SWATT
10-13-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not entirely sure Jonah Hill has any NFL experience

Not sure Kubes and Schaub have any either

Double Barrel
10-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Somebody has not been paying attention to how Bob McNair operates this franchise.

This season would have to be disastrous for him to fire Kubiak. I mean like 4-12 season, which is not out of the question.

However, let's say he does fire Kubiak after a miserable season.

Do you really see him hiring anyone other than Uncle Wade? McNair feels that changing head coaches is a traumatic experience, so he will probably want to mitigate that pain by implementing a plan that avoids complete turnover. Promoting a coordinator is a classic way to achieve it.

And besides, in his mind, it's natural to have a Phillips coach a team in the Houston market. He's a native son with football pedigree and he has plenty of head coaching experience. Heck, it would not surprise me at all if Wade covets the job.

So get ready, folks! You want Kubiak gone, then meet the new boss, same as the old boss. :bender:

Honoring Earl 34
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Somebody has not been paying attention to how Bob McNair operates this franchise.

This season would have to be disastrous for him to fire Kubiak. I mean like 4-12 season, which is not out of the question.

Do you really see him hiring anyone other than Uncle Wade? McNair feels that changing head coaches is a traumatic experience, so he will probably want to mitigate that pain by implementing a plan that avoids complete turnover. Promoting a coordinator is a classic way to achieve it.

And besides, in his mind, it's natural to have a Phillips coach a team in the Houston market. He's a native son with football pedigree and he has plenty of head coaching experience. Heck, it would not surprise me at all if Wade covets the job.

So get ready, folks! You want Kubiak gone, then meet the new boss, same as the old boss. :bender:

Good think Bill Peterson isn't available . :fostering:

Texecutioner
10-13-2013, 09:45 PM

I would hate the idea of Wade becoming HC but I would totally be okay with it if it meant that Kubiak was finally gone. We will never win under his leadership and decision making.

PockyAF
10-13-2013, 09:57 PM
but I would totally be okay with it if it meant that Kubiak was finally gone.

Dumb.

That's like saying get rid of Schaub and let Yates have a go at it just for the sake of change.

You really wanna see another loser HC at the helm for the next 4+ years?

Mr teX
10-13-2013, 10:01 PM
I could see wade being promoted to HC, but we may likely see the same scenario that brought wade here happen on the offensive side of the ball. Where bob forces wade to take on the offensive coordinator of his choosing....and we rebuild on the offensive side of the ball in much the same way we did in 2011.

If it means getting kubiak outta here and we draft a young qb for the future new OC...im with it.

bckey
10-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Last time there was an open letter like this to McNair he gave Kubiak an extension. Just saying.:kitten:

DocBar
10-13-2013, 11:01 PM

So get ready, folks! You want Kubiak gone, then meet the new boss, same as the old boss. :bender:I've been saying for a week or so that this is looking like a typical Phillips coup. You can bet your a$$ he covets the job. He's been very vocal about his desire to be a HC again. What better place than Houston?

steelbtexan
10-13-2013, 11:44 PM
I could see wade being promoted to HC, but we may likely see the same scenario that brought wade here happen on the offensive side of the ball. Where bob forces wade to take on the offensive coordinator of his choosing....and we rebuild on the offensive side of the ball in much the same way we did in 2011.

If it means getting kubiak outta here and we draft a young qb for the future new OC...im with it.

Wow

Cant believe you've come this far. Wish you would've been here in 2010

leebigeztx
10-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Great letter,but don't act like Hoodie didn't get fired in cleveland.I'm not sure who the next hc is. It could be lil shanny,greg roman,mangini,or a hot new college coach. The qb thing has been fried,dyed,and laid to the side. I never thought schaub was the answer no matter how many times people tried to tell me h was.

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Hint: He'll look like this guy...

http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/02/04/moneyball-jonah-hill_610.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/)

Isn't that our kicker?

http://staging.lindyssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/RandyBullock-390x220.jpg

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 03:55 AM
I've been saying for a week or so that this is looking like a typical Phillips coup. You can bet your a$$ he covets the job. He's been very vocal about his desire to be a HC again. What better place than Houston?

That's the feeling I got sitting in the stands. It feels like an inside job. Individually the players on defense look like upgrades, but for some reason we can't get them off on 3rd down. Just like the other team keeps saying they knew what play we were going to run before we ran it.... every team should be saying that, our team should be saying that. But inexplicably, every now & then we look like we're caught completely off guard.

Especially in the run game. Cushing, Mays, Sharpton, Manning, Swearinger...... if they're expecting a run, they'll fill those lanes quick, shoot the gaps, get in the backfield.

Now, I know it's possible that Kj just sux & that Jjo was never that good. But think about it? Kj regressing I can believe that, but Jjo? To get beat so bad that he grabs a guys jersey from the time the ball is snapped 50 yards downfield? No... he was expecting the guy to run block, but the guy shot up the field.

We've been had. This is an iside job.

bckey
10-14-2013, 06:17 AM
I've been saying for a week or so that this is looking like a typical Phillips coup. You can bet your a$$ he covets the job. He's been very vocal about his desire to be a HC again. What better place than Houston?

:toropalm:That's the feeling I got sitting in the stands. It feels like an inside job. Individually the players on defense look like upgrades, but for some reason we can't get them off on 3rd down. Just like the other team keeps saying they knew what play we were going to run before we ran it.... every team should be saying that, our team should be saying that. But inexplicably, every now & then we look like we're caught completely off guard.

Especially in the run game. Cushing, Mays, Sharpton, Manning, Swearinger...... if they're expecting a run, they'll fill those lanes quick, shoot the gaps, get in the backfield.

Now, I know it's possible that Kj just sux & that Jjo was never that good. But think about it? Kj regressing I can believe that, but Jjo? To get beat so bad that he grabs a guys jersey from the time the ball is snapped 50 yards downfield? No... he was expecting the guy to run block, but the guy shot up the field.

We've been had. This is an iside job.

:wadepalm: Do you 2 guys really believe what you are saying here? Unbelievable.

steelbtexan
10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
:toropalm:

:wadepalm: Do you 2 guys really believe what you are saying here? Unbelievable.

I cant believe the Gary jock sniffers would go this far, (Crazy)

On second thought, I do believe they would. They would never admit that Gary is/was in over his head from day one. But it really doesn't matter, change will comme after many more painful losses.

Did anybody else notice that it looks like Gary has lost his team for the 1st time since he's been in charge?

HOU-TEX
10-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Wasn't Pioli fired from the Chiefs?

:includeme:

IlliniJen
10-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Open letter to people who write open letters:

Stop.

ubecool454
10-14-2013, 09:40 AM
your letter will go straight to the Sectary Trash can LOL

HAHA now that's funny but true!

The1ApplePie
10-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Dear Texans Fans,

I still have your ****ing money!!!!

Regards,

Bob McNair

thunderkyss
10-14-2013, 09:57 AM

On second thought, I do believe they would. They would never admit that Gary is/was in over his head from day one. But it really doesn't matter, change will comme after many more painful losses.

Did anybody else notice that it looks like Gary has lost his team for the 1st time since he's been in charge?

Gary's over his head. Been over his head since day one. This has been OJT for Kubiak & I think we saw him coach his best game years ago. The odds of him ever winning a Super Bowl are so far out there I think our best option would be to move on. If I were running the show, I'd have moved on after 2010.

That said, the Rams had 4 possessions in the first half, they scored on 3. There is no reason to believe if the offense wasn't winning the ToP at the half, the defense would have given up another score.

1st possession from their 33 yard line
---- 3 & out

2nd possession from their 35 yard line
--- 7 plays TD

3rd possession from our 43 (after the Hopkins fumble)
--- FG snapped from the 24 yard line

4th possession from their 20
--- 11 plays TD

5th possession from their 25
--- they show mercy on us & run out the clock.

We've got so many first round picks & spent so much free agency dollars on that side of the ball we should not be numb to them giving up 17 points in the first half. I believe Wade is working against us because I do not think the players would. They are out of position & caught off guard way too often.

utahmark
10-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Thats reason enough to go in a different direction. I'm not as quick as most to jump into the coaching lottery but this team looks finished.

utahmark
10-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Dear Texans Fans,

I still have your ****ing money!!!!

Regards,

Bob McNair

Without him we don't have a team. I think we have a great owner.

drs23
10-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Yes. The thought has been in my mind for a few weeks. I could never think or say that before but it sure seems like it to me. Now.

Blake
10-14-2013, 02:43 PM

I agree with that. In the NFL, coaches live AND die with their QB. Schaub is dragging Kubiak down like an anchor and there is nothing he can do about it. Kubiak hitched his wagon to Schaub who decided to lay down and die.

htownfan32
10-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Isn't that our kicker?

http://staging.lindyssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/RandyBullock-390x220.jpg

Hahahaha MSR, man.

Mr teX
10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree with that. In the NFL, coaches live AND die with their QB. Schaub is dragging Kubiak down like an anchor and there is nothing he can do about it. Kubiak hitched his wagon to Schaub who decided to lay down and die.

There's something he could do about it..you saw it when Schaub got hurt and Yates came in. The problem is all this "he gives us the best chance to win.." crap he's been spewing..............it's probably true given our options at qb. But he honestly has had ample opportunity to do more about the qb situation than he has done to this point & he's neglected to take it as serious as he should've.

I mean he's had 8 years to get this figured out. I can understand him being hesitant to move on from Schaub in the 1st 4....Bob made him take on the Carr experiment in year 1 and we gave up 2 2nds to get Schaub and once you committed to that, you had to see where that took you.

But around year 4, He should've been in the full throws of trying to solidify the position by getting a premium talent in camp to seriouslycompete with Schaub. Instead he just kept drafting back ups late and pulling guys in off the street...

So it's only his fault that his options behind Schaub aren't good.

bckey
10-14-2013, 05:02 PM
There's something he could do about it..you saw it when Schaub got hurt and Yates came in. The problem is all this "he gives us the best chance to win.." crap he's been spewing..............it's probably true given our options at qb. But he honestly has had ample opportunity to do more about the qb situation than he has done to this point & he's neglected to take it as serious as he should've.

I mean he's had 8 years to get this figured out. I can understand him being hesitant to move on from Schaub in the 1st 4....Bob made him take on the Carr experiment in year 1 and we gave up 2 2nds to get Schaub and once you committed to that, you had to see where that took you.

But around year 4, He should've been in the full throws of trying to solidify the position by getting a premium talent in camp to seriouslycompete with Schaub. Instead he just kept drafting back ups late and pulling guys in off the street...

So it's only his fault that his options behind Schaub aren't good.

This is exactly what I think about the whole mess the Texans are in right now at QB.

Sigma
10-15-2013, 04:24 AM
Andrew Luck is going to be so much better than Matt Schaub

I do not agree with you

Vinny
10-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Did anybody else notice that it looks like Gary has lost his team for the 1st time since he's been in charge?Lance Zerlien has an interview with Rodney Harrison that he's going to play tomorrow during his show.

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 9h
Just interviewed Rodney Harrison and will play the interview tomorrow morning. He believes Gary Kubiak will be gone after the season.
Expand

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 9h
Harrison went on to say if he were a player in that locker room, he would have lost confidence in Kubiak after he continued to play Schaub
Expand

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/390154077889261568
https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/390154384945848320

thunderkyss
10-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Lance Zerlien has an interview with Rodney Harrison that he's going to play tomorrow during his show.

About 25 minutes in (http://www.sports790.com/media/podcast-proper-gentlemen-podcast-propergentlemen/wednesday-october-16th-2013-1-23846668/)

Dread-Head
10-16-2013, 01:21 PM

(cough) InheritedateambuiltbyMikeSingleterryisChuckGruden2 .0

rmartin65
10-16-2013, 01:23 PM

You like to say this, but

Harbaugh did what Singleterry had failed to do

and

Chucky did what Dungy had failed to do.

Dread-Head
10-16-2013, 02:10 PM

and

Chucky did what Dungy had failed to do.

If Harbaugh ever arrives to a team with a losing record and NO talent and brings them to the Superbowl the following year Or Gruden ever does the same OR even brings a team to a PLAYOFF GAME on his own I'll retract my statement. Dungee went on to bring the Colts to a Superbowl and won it. Gruden proved nothing more than that he was Barry Switzer. The only difference between the two was that no one proclaimed Switzer a "genius" after his autopilot Superbowl.

thunderkyss
10-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Right.... That was Mike Nolan's team.

thunderkyss
10-16-2013, 02:17 PM
If Harbaugh ever arrives to a team with a losing record and NO talent and brings them to the Superbowl the following year Or Gruden ever does the same OR even brings a team to a PLAYOFF GAME on his own I'll retract my statement.

Harbaugh & the 49ers (like us) are basically in the "New York Jets, year 3, Rex Ryan" stage. Lots of hurrah & what not got them to back to back AFC Championship games & now they're trying to live up to that success. It's not as easy as Brady makes it look. Rex found that out. & to my surprise, he's doing a lot better at getting back to play-offs than I thought he would... getting Sanchez hurt in the pre-season might have been his best move so far.

The 49ers are answering that call at 4-2 right now. We're 2-4.

10 games left.

Double Barrel
10-16-2013, 03:42 PM

C'mon, man, that's a disingenuous straw man perspective at best

The Singletary 49ers SUCKED. They never had a winning record with him as a head coach.

Gruden inherited a Dungy team that had just come off it's third playoff appearance in a row.

The San Francisco 49ers had not seen a winning season since 2002 under Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary. Their last winning season before Harbaugh was when Steve Mariucci was coaching (2002).

Harbaugh inherited some ingredients, but that's it.

Texian
10-16-2013, 04:54 PM
JIm Harbaugh spent 15 years in the NFL as QB and 2 as a coach before becoming the Head Coach of the SF 49ers. Jim knows the NFL.

Prior to that Jim first became a head coach at San Diego U, a non scholarship college that had just finished in the cellar. The Toreros finished 11-1 and Champions in the last 2 years of Harbaugh's 3 years as a HC.

At Stanford, Harbaugh inherited a 1-11 team from the year before. When he left 4 years later the Cardinal had a 12-1 record and #4 National ranking.

Recognizing talent.....son of a football coach, has a brother who is a successful NFL HC.

rmartin65
10-16-2013, 09:19 PM
If Harbaugh ever arrives to a team with a losing record and NO talent and brings them to the Superbowl the following year Or Gruden ever does the same OR even brings a team to a PLAYOFF GAME on his own I'll retract my statement. Dungee went on to bring the Colts to a Superbowl and won it. Gruden proved nothing more than that he was Barry Switzer. The only difference between the two was that no one proclaimed Switzer a "genius" after his autopilot Superbowl.

Dungy only won a SB because he had Peyton Manning. In fact, Manning probably has more than one ring if Dungy was actually a good coach.

Let's face it- Dungy was canned after going 6-10, 10-6, 8-8, 11-5, 10-6, and 9-7. Steadily decreased in wins the last 2 years, after having 4 prior seasons with the team. Coaches get fired all the time for that.

Singletary went 5-4, 8-8, then 5-10. I think the hook was a little quick, but falling from 8-8 to 5-10 is going backwards. Add in his supposed anger issues, and you can understand why he was fired.

Texian
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Andrew Luck is going to be so much better than Matt Schaub

I do not agree with you

How about now?

Sigma
10-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Andrew Luck already is so much better than Matt Schaub
I do not agree with you

How about now?

Now I Agree :D

(my jokes are not that good if noone got what I ment)

Dread-Head
10-23-2013, 08:28 AM
JIm Harbaugh spent 15 years in the NFL as QB and 2 as a coach before becoming the Head Coach of the SF 49ers. Jim knows the NFL.

Prior to that Jim first became a head coach at San Diego U, a non scholarship college that had just finished in the cellar. The Toreros finished 11-1 and Champions in the last 2 years of Harbaugh's 3 years as a HC.

At Stanford, Harbaugh inherited a 1-11 team from the year before. When he left 4 years later the Cardinal had a 12-1 record and #4 National ranking.

Recognizing talent.....son of a football coach, has a brother who is a successful NFL HC.

Yeah and Wade Phillips is the son of a great football coach and a decent Defensive Coordinator...but not a great head coach.

Dread-Head
10-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Dungy only won a SB because he had Peyton Manning. In fact, Manning probably has more than one ring if Dungy was actually a good coach.

Let's face it- Dungy was canned after going 6-10, 10-6, 8-8, 11-5, 10-6, and 9-7. Steadily decreased in wins the last 2 years, after having 4 prior seasons with the team. Coaches get fired all the time for that.

Singletary went 5-4, 8-8, then 5-10. I think the hook was a little quick, but falling from 8-8 to 5-10 is going backwards. Add in his supposed anger issues, and you can understand why he was fired.

Injuries and other factors affect your seasons and face it, the coaches don't suit up and play. Dungy wasn't LUCKY to get Payton or Reggie Wayne or Pierre Garcon. He drafted and cultivated them. He won a superbowl WITH those players. The years in which the Colts WEREN'T in the Superbowl. Gee you think the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots MIGHT have had something to do with that? We're talking about a point in the NFL when the AFC was dominating the post season with some damn fine teams.

If we're going to use the "Harbaugh knows football because he was a QB" argument (you didn't make this argument but someone else did) Dungy KNOWS football from having been a corner. He was with the Steelers in the 70s and has I believe at least two Superbowl rings to show for it. How many did Harbaugh get while playing OR coaching?

rmartin65
10-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Injuries and other factors affect your seasons and face it, the coaches don't suit up and play. Dungy wasn't LUCKY to get Payton or Reggie Wayne or Pierre Garcon. He drafted and cultivated them. He won a superbowl WITH those players. The years in which the Colts WEREN'T in the Superbowl. Gee you think the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots MIGHT have had something to do with that? We're talking about a point in the NFL when the AFC was dominating the post season with some damn fine teams.

Dungy did not draft Manning or Wayne, the GM did. Furthermore, Dungy was not even the HC of Indy until the 2002 season (Manning was drafted in 1998; Wayne in 2001). Nice try though.

I don't get your argument- basically, it is not Dungy's fault that his team managed only 1 SB victory over 7 years with one of the best QBs of all time? Other teams were good?

Then why do you not grant Chucky that same courtesy? He won 1 SB over the same 7 year period, and had a revolving door of QBs to deal with.

DoCRoN
10-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Now I Agree :D

(my jokes are not that good if noone got what I ment)

I got it; made me laugh. Bold text can be such an effective tool.

Dread-Head
10-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Dungy did not draft Manning or Wayne, the GM did. Furthermore, Dungy was not even the HC of Indy until the 2002 season (Manning was drafted in 1998; Wayne in 2001). Nice try though.

:popcorn: How many titles did the previous coach win with Manning? How many play off appearances did they have?

I don't get your argument- basically, it is not Dungy's fault that his team managed only 1 SB victory over 7 years with one of the best QBs of all time? Other teams were good?

:popcorn: In the time span in question (aka the Dungy years in Indinapolis) who won the Superbowl in the years in which he was head coach and what conference were they with? Were they AFC teams i.e. the Steelers/Patriots?
Does the Pittsburgh Steelers Playing in back to back Superbowls in the late 70s mean that Bum Phillips & the Oilers sucked, OR does it mean they were playing and lost to a better team?

Then why do you not grant Chucky that same courtesy? He won 1 SB over the same 7 year period, and had a revolving door of QBs to deal with.

:popcorn: Chucky's One Superbowl was with a team built by Tony Dungee. How many playoff appearances did Chucky have AFTER his serendipitious Superbowl? Dungy and the Colts were at least IN the playoffs.

Gruden = Barry Switzer

rmartin65
10-23-2013, 10:02 AM
:popcorn: How many titles did the previous coach win with Manning? How many play off appearances did they have?

0 SBs, 2 PO appearances. Mora took over the worst team in the league, went 3-13, 13-3, 10-6, then 6-10. Huh... that looks similar to Singletary's arc in SF, but I dont hear you complaining about that. When Dungy took over, the team did better. But was that Dungy's coaching skills, or the rise of Manning, Harrison, and Wayne? Probably a combination.

:popcorn: In the time span in question (aka the Dungy years in Indinapolis) who won the Superbowl in the years in which he was head coach and what conference were they with? Were they AFC teams i.e. the Steelers/Patriots?
Does the Pittsburgh Steelers Playing in back to back Superbowls in the late 70s mean that Bum Phillips & the Oilers sucked, OR does it mean they were playing and lost to a better team?
5 AFC, 2 NFC. I don't know what this proves, though. Fact is, each coach only won one SB.

I never said Dungy and the Colts sucked, just speculated that perhaps the Manning-era Colts would have won more with a better coach.

:popcorn: Chucky's One Superbowl was with a team built by Tony Dungee. How many playoff appearances did Chucky have AFTER his serendipitious Superbowl? Dungy and the Colts were at least IN the playoffs.

Gruden = Barry Switzer

Interesting, considering Chucky had been a successful coach in Oakland before being traded to TB.

So, let's just go ahead and say that Gruden was handed the team by Dungy. Gruden won the SB with basically the same team that Dungy failed with. Who is the better coach?

Dread-Head
10-23-2013, 10:41 AM
0 SBs, 2 PO appearances. Mora took over the worst team in the league, went 3-13, 13-3, 10-6, then 6-10. Huh... that looks similar to Singletary's arc in SF, but I dont hear you complaining about that. When Dungy took over, the team did better. But was that Dungy's coaching skills, or the rise of Manning, Harrison, and Wayne? Probably a combination.

5 AFC, 2 NFC. I don't know what this proves, though. Fact is, each coach only won one SB.

I never said Dungy and the Colts sucked, just speculated that perhaps the Manning-era Colts would have won more with a better coach.

Interesting, considering Chucky had been a successful coach in Oakland before being traded to TB.

So, let's just go ahead and say that Gruden was handed the team by Dungy. Gruden won the SB with basically the same team that Dungy failed with. Who is the better coach?

Considering Dungy got back to the playoffs after winning HIS superbowl...and the only time Gruden saw the playoffs again for the remainder of his coaching career was on TV...I'm not chaning my vote.

rmartin65
10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Considering Dungy got back to the playoffs after winning HIS superbowl...and the only time Gruden saw the playoffs again for the remainder of his coaching career was on TV...I'm not chaning my vote.

In both 2005 and 2007 Gruden's Bucs made it to the playoffs. So... wrong again.

Say Watt
10-23-2013, 10:53 AM

http://media1.giphy.com/media/NUZ5OqHdbknHa/giphy.gif

Dread-Head
10-23-2013, 11:03 AM
In both 2005 and 2007 Gruden's Bucs made it to the playoffs. So... wrong again.

:popcorn: In which did they make it to the 2nd round?

rmartin65
10-23-2013, 11:05 AM
:popcorn: In which did they make it to the 2nd round?

None, but your statement was incorrect nonetheless.

It is no use talking with people who continue to move the goal posts.

Have a good one Dread.

Double Barrel
10-23-2013, 11:35 AM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/NUZ5OqHdbknHa/giphy.gif

lol! Yep, that will be sports talk radio in Houston during the off-season! :fingergun:

Thorn
10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Dear Mr. McNair,

Other than to buy a few hats and T-shirts, I haven't spent a dime on your team. But I do b!tch like I have. And until you get rid of Kubiak I will continue to b!tch like hell and drive everyone on TexansTalk.com totally crazy. If you don't want something like that on your conscious you'll get rid of Kubiak quickly.

If not, Thorn will go on a hate filled rampage against both you and Kubiak. And believe me, you won't like that crazy old a$$hole once he gets pumped up.

Sincerely,

Thorn

revan
12-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Dear Mr. McNair,

Other than to buy a few hats and T-shirts, I haven't spent a dime on your team. But I do b!tch like I have. And until you get rid of Kubiak I will continue to b!tch like hell and drive everyone on TexansTalk.com totally crazy. If you don't want something like that on your conscious you'll get rid of Kubiak quickly.

If not, Thorn will go on a hate filled rampage against both you and Kubiak. And believe me, you won't like that crazy old a$$hole once he gets pumped up.

Sincerely,

Thorn

Add my name to this too.

Marcus
12-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Dear Mr. McNair,

Sincerely,

Thorn

I thought there was a 'quaking in my boots' smilie around here somewhere. Anyone see where it ran off to?