PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak sticking with Schaub - still named starter

2slik4u
10-08-2013, 11:32 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/houstons-kubiak-sticking-schaub-214826779--nfl.html

Mods, merge if necessary but figured it would get the most exposure if it was in its own thread.

''You want to be a part of helping him work his way through that. The only way I know how to do it is you play our way through that stuff. So that's what I'm trying to help him with and figure out and push him through it, so that our football game can push through it.''

TexanExile
10-08-2013, 11:46 AM
GK sounds like he is preparing to take a huge dump, not mentor a 10 year vet. What is he thinking can be pushed through? We already saw what happened when the motto was "cut it loose."

No more cutting loose, no more pushing one through. That approach should have totally died at halftime last week. The best thing for Schaub is to sit down, grab a clipboard and headset, and watch at least until after the bye week. Clear his head from the public storms and get off the "X" in the media. Meanwhile his teammates get a glimmer of hope...possibly even a spark, but really anything but the sense of oh-crap-here-he-goes-again they must be feeling now.

By then we would have a little more info on who else, if anyone, can play QB in 2013 for this team. But if Schaub and GK keep pushing and cutting loose, we're done.

Hottoddie
10-08-2013, 11:46 AM
WOW! If Kubiak starts Schaub this week, I'm going to jump on the Fire Kubiak bandwagon for the first time. Maybe he can find a way to boost his confidence, but there isn't much he can do about the noodle arm Schaub has.

It's my opinion that had Yates or Keenum been the one throwing that first pass last week, it would not have been a pick 6. Since the defender would've been out of position to make the tackle, AJ would've taken that pass for a nice gain. Matt doesn't have any velocity on his throws & both TJ & Keenum can zip it in there.

After throwing picks in 7 straight games, it's time for a change!!!

MightyTExan
10-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Schaub starting = Kubiak doesn't want to win games.

http://img.pandawhale.com/43635-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-iOGX.gif

2slik4u
10-08-2013, 11:48 AM
GK sounds like he is preparing to take a huge dump, not mentor a 10 year vet. What is he thinking can be pushed through? We already saw what happened when the motto was "cut it loose."

No more cutting loose, no more pushing one through. That approach should have totally died at halftime last week. The best thing for Schaub is to sit down, grab a clipboard and headset, and watch at least until after the bye week. Clear his head from the public storms and get off the "X" in the media. Meanwhile his teammates get a glimmer of hope...possibly even a spark, but really anything but the sense of oh-crap-here-he-goes-again they must be feeling now.

By then we would have a little more info on who else, if anyone, can play QB in 2013 for this team. But if Schaub and GK keep pushing and cutting loose, we're done.

This would be my preferred method of attacking this second quarter of the season personally. You nailed it.

Hottoddie
10-08-2013, 11:53 AM
WOW! If Kubiak starts Schaub this week, I'm going to jump on the Fire Kubiak bandwagon for the first time. Maybe he can find a way to boost his confidence, but there isn't much he can do about the noodle arm Schaub has.

It's my opinion that had Yates or Keenum been the one throwing that first pass last week, it would not have been a pick 6. Since the defender would've been out of position to make the tackle, AJ would've taken that pass for a nice gain. Matt doesn't have any velocity on his throws & both TJ & Keenum can zip it in there.

After throwing picks in 7 straight games, it's time for a change!!!

Correction: 8 straight non-preseason games.

Thorn
10-08-2013, 11:54 AM
More proof Kubiak is a complete numbskull. As if we didn't know that already.

We need a Jesus facepalm icon for the Texans to show exactly what kind of shape this team is in. LOL

Say Watt
10-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Unbelievable. Or at least it would be unbelievable if it wasn't Kubiak. This guy just becomes more and more of a joke every single day. The guy has zero clue about how to hold a team accountable for their actions and if it IS all on him as he loves to say, then the joker should have been fired 4 years ago. Yes Kubiak, it is all on you.

amazing80
10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I think this is out of context. He said this before or in the same interview he claimed he is evaluating all positions including qb to see who gives us our best chance to win.

gwallaia
10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Schaub is going to have to deal with an angry crowd at Reliant. He is going to be rattled and probably make a mistake early on. Hopefully he overcomes the crowd hostility and has a great performance but given the circumstances, I don't think that will happen.

I expect to see Yates and maybe Keenum on the field Sunday.

CretorFrigg
10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
:kubepalm:

How many other QBs in the NFL gets this many opportunities? 90% of the loss against the 49ers was on Schaub.

TheIronDuke
10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Did anyone think Kubes wouldn't start Schaub? He will start Schaub barring injury until the end of time.

I remember back when the knock on Schaub was he was too fragile, now the dude is like an iron man out there. I guess he proved people wrong that he's fragile. He sucks, but he's not fragile.

TexanSam
10-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Schaub starting = Kubiak doesn't want to win games.

Starting Yates or Keenum means he's thrown in the towel for the season. I'm not a fan of Schaub, but he's more likely to play well than either of them. Playing an okay backup or an undrafted QB is a recipe for disaster. Schaub might continue to play like crap, but I'll take the chance that he'll get out of his funk and at least get back to average. If he continues to stink it up, then we'll see Yates or Keenum anyway.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Did anyone think Kubes wouldn't start Schaub? He will start Schaub barring injury until the end of time.

Yup. And I bet if Ole Uncle Bob hadn't finally given Kubes an ultimatum Frank Bush would still be DC. I'm a loyal guy and place a lot of value on loyalty. That said, he is loyal to a fault.

Also, Kubiak saying he'll "evaluate" the situation means exactly 0. That was just coach speak.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Starting Yates or Keenum means he's thrown in the towel for the season. I'm not a fan of Schaub, but he's more likely to play well than either of them. Playing an okay backup or an undrafted QB is a recipe for disaster. Schaub might continue to play like crap, but I'll take the chance that he'll get out of his funk and at least get back to average. If he continues to stink it up, then we'll see Yates or Keenum anyway.

Based on what you have seen going back to LAST SEASON.....what makes you think this is just a funk?

From what I have seen there is no harm in putting in Yates or Keenum. I guarantee they won't throw 4 pick 6's in 4 games in a row and probably won't throw picks in what, the last 8 or 9 non preseason games going into last season?

Schaub's lucky it was only 1 pick 6 last game. There was another of the 3 picks he threw that should have been another pick 6 had the defender not had to juggle it to catch it.

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 12:08 PM

How many other QBs in the NFL gets this many opportunities? 90% of the loss against the 49ers was on Schaub.

And 100% of the loss to the Seahawks the week before was on Schaub.

DX-TEX
10-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Um.....16 hours ago. This was before Pancakes went on PFT. I made a comment on these quotes in that thread.

legacy_gt
10-08-2013, 12:13 PM

not necessarily. we didn't throw the towel in 2001. yates is better than his 2011 debut. he beat the bengals back then. so if a better yates today plays smart football then it gives us a better chance to win....much better chance than schaub at this point. if anything, I'd like for yates to play and give MS a break.

VTexan
10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
i am hanging on to the belief that kubiak is saying schaub is the starter so that the rams prepare for schaub and not keenum.
http://i.imgur.com/9wF3lxQ.jpg

Thorn
10-08-2013, 12:18 PM
i am hanging on to the belief that kubiak is saying schaub is the starter so that the rams prepare for schaub and not keenum.
http://i.imgur.com/9wF3lxQ.jpg

Do you really believe that Kubiak is either that smart or sneaky?

VTexan
10-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Do you really believe that Kubiak is either that smart or sneaky?

come on man, let me dream

TexanSam
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Based on what you have seen going back to LAST SEASON.....what makes you think this is just a funk?

From what I have seen there is no harm in putting in Yates or Keenum. I guarantee they won't throw 4 pick 6's in 4 games in a row and probably won't throw picks in what, the last 8 or 9 non preseason games going into last season?

Schaub's lucky it was only 1 pick 6 last game. There was another of the 3 picks he threw that should have been another pick 6 had the defender not had to juggle it to catch it.

Because based on his previous play Schaub has shown that he is better than this. I'm not a fan of Schaub, but he's not this terrible. Chances are if you put Yates or Keenum in, they aren't going to light the world on fire. Considering they're backups, they probably won't even be good. I think there's a better chance of Schaub improving and at least being marginally good as opposed to either of those guys don't much of anything. Like I said, if Schaub continues to regress though then it's a moot point since Yates and/or Keenum will see time.

Texecutioner
10-08-2013, 12:25 PM
And people actually had the audacity to argue that Kubiak would start Wilson or Kaepernick if they were on this team? Lol! Succers are born every minute and some just dwell in denial of certain realities. Kubiak has not changed since season one here. Same stubborn coach that never adapts to any new situation depending on the current team. He will always be stuck in his little vacuum style of coaching without being able to adjust. Sad that people still try to give him the benefit of the doubt.

msbbc833
10-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Agreed. This is not a funk. This dates back to the last regular season game against the Colts, then the playoffs Bengals and Patriots and now 5 games this season, all with atleast 1 interception thrown. 8 GAME STREAK. This is not a funk

kingtexan
Kubiak is preparing to take the HC job at A&M when the current HC goes to USC.

DX-TEX
Because based on his previous play Schaub has shown that he is better than this. I'm not a fan of Schaub, but he's not this terrible. Chances are if you put Yates or Keenum in, they aren't going to light the world on fire. Considering they're backups, they probably won't even be good. I think there's a better chance of Schaub improving and at least being marginally good as opposed to either of those guys don't much of anything. Like I said, if Schaub continues to regress though then it's a moot point since Yates and/or Keenum will see time.

I applaud your optimism, I was the same way until this past Sunday. I still believe his arm went dead at the end of last season and now his mind is gone because he felt he could make up for it but he just cant.

The1ApplePie
10-08-2013, 12:33 PM
What did you really expect Kubes to say?

"Well, yeah Matt is pretty goddamn terrible, but we paid him a lot of money and we are joined at the hip. And have you seen our backup quarterbacks? They are like a **** sandwich, with no bread, and extra ****. Seriously, what the **** were we thinking?"

ThaJokaa
10-08-2013, 12:34 PM
He said Schuab is his QB, but he's gonna evaluate and see who gives him the best chance at winning. So he kinda left the door open for a QB change

Texecutioner
10-08-2013, 12:37 PM
And people actually had the audacity to argue that Kubiak would start Wilson or Kaepernick if they were on this team? Lol! Succers are born every minute and some just dwell in denial of certain realities. Kubiak has not changed since season one here. Same stubborn coach that never adapts to any new situation depending on the current team.

Bulls on Parade
10-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Why didn't we keep All Pro returner Trindon Holliday after what, five games last year? He goes on to the Broncos and they haven't lost a regular-season game since. And he is looking like the best returner in NFL history. But Matt Schaub can have five bad games and he's still the starter, no problem. No accountability when it comes to #8. No need to even consider signing Peyton Manning a few off-seasons ago either. We have our great QB already.

jaayteetx
10-08-2013, 12:39 PM
He said Schuab is his QB, but he's gonna evaluate and see who gives him the best chance at winning. So he kinda left the door open for a QB change

I'll believe it when I see it.

tedr
10-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Kubiak has about 6-7 years invested in Schaub. It is difficult to give that up. Deep down, I think he knows Schaub is done- physically and mentally- but he can't bring himself to make a change. He's incredibly loyal to Schaub, but he needs to look at the bigger picture: his loyalty needs to be to the organization which has allowed him to stay the head coach for 8 years while winning a grand total of 2 playoff games. He doesn't need to continue to be loyal to the player whose mistakes, if he is allowed to continue, will endanger Kubiak's employment.

Bulls on Parade
10-08-2013, 12:42 PM
For some reason I'm thinking of that Austin Powers scene when Dr. Evil has his pinky over his mouth and says, "Rigghhhhttttttttt." LOL

CretorFrigg
10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
This is the one time I'd be cool with McNair outright stating he'd prefer if Case Keenum started.

Bulls on Parade
10-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Kubiak has about 6-7 years invested in Schaub. It is difficult to give that up. Deep down, I think he knows Schaub is done- physically and mentally- but he can't bring himself to make a change. He's incredibly loyal to Schaub, but he needs to look at the bigger picture: his loyalty needs to be to the organization which has allowed him to stay the head coach for 8 years while winning a grand total of 2 playoff games. He doesn't need to continue to be loyal to the player whose mistakes, if he is allowed to continue, will endanger Kubiak's employment.
Gary Kubiak and Marvin Lewis: Probably the only two head coaches in the NFL that have 100 % job security. They don't have to win in the playoffs. Heck, Marvin Lewis has done worse the past few years than Kubiak losing to the Texans in the wild-card game. But neither head coach will be fired.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 12:49 PM
He said Schuab is his QB, but he's gonna evaluate and see who gives him the best chance at winning. So he kinda left the door open for a QB changewe're 4-7 in our last 11 games....sooooooo I guess he wasn't "evaluating" enough till now.

bOODRO87
10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Did anyone know that Gary named his sons Klint, Klay, and Klein?

Yep, that's our Head Coach. What a creative mind.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 12:54 PM

I see the angle you're coming from and not assuming you're a Schaub fan and it would be ok if you were but it seems your main point (if I am reading it right) is that because Yates and Keenum are back ups they won't be good.

Schaub was a back up until Kubiak somehow decided he was "the 1" and we brought him over. There have also been other back ups who have gone on to be fine QB's so I can't look at it in that way.

I'm not saying Yates or Keenum will light the league on fire, but if they can keep their underwear clean and actually NOT $hit their pants I take that as a marked improvement. At this point Schaub does NOT give the Texans the best chance to win IMO. There is no one better to bring in at this point from the outside and frankly no one in the draft class this year has me touching myself so.....why not give Yates or Keenum a shot (preferably Keenum IMO which I laid out why in the In support of Case thread).

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
And 100% of the loss to the Seahawks the week before was on Schaub.

Yea ok and 15 yard penalties in the final moments against Sharpton and Jackson didn't play into it right? Good grief get a grip.

Only thing I like about playing Yates or Keenum is that they can make a play on the interceptions they will throw.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 12:57 PM

I hope you're right but we all know Kubiak.....wayyyyyyyyyy to stubborn and or loyal. Until I see it, I have to believe this was coach speak to appease the crowd.

CretorFrigg
10-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Yea ok and 15 yard penalties in the final moments against Sharpton and Jackson didn't play into it right? Good grief get a grip.

Only thing I like about playing Yates or Keenum is that they can make a play on the interceptions they will throw.

Give me a break, dude. The worst thing a QB can do is throw a pick 6. Matt Schaub holds the NFL record for doing that 4 games in a row. I seriously doubt either Yates or Keenum will break that record.

amazing80
10-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Those only happened because schaub blew it first. Its deflating to see your qb screw it up weekly.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Problem is none of that happens if Schaub doesn't $hit his panties.

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Give me a break, dude. The worst thing a QB can do is throw a pick 6. Matt Schaub holds the NFL record for doing that 4 games in a row. I seriously doubt either Yates or Keenum will break that record.

Those only happened because schaub blew it first. Its deflating to see your qb screw it up weekly.

Yeah! What they said!

Uncle Rico
It's ignorant to blame one person for losses in football.

I get it Schaub is stinking it up and he's the scapegoat, but when you go over the film with a fine toothed comb you can see how much this team is flawed and how many variables lead to a loss.

If we are packing it in then send out Keenum or Yates I'm fine with starting over, but don't expect them to be a football messiah who will lead these guys to the promised land.

tedr

Seeing as how the defense only gave up 10 points on legitimate drives in regulation against the Seahawks, blaming the defense at all for the loss is ridiculous.

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 01:12 PM

How do you know the defense holds? They were getting burned the entire second half! The INT tied the game, it didn't lose it. Poor defensive plays and mental errors lost the game.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Seeing as how the defense only gave up 10 points on legitimate drives in regulation against the Seahawks, blaming the defense at all for the loss is ridiculous.

Texans defense #1 in tha NFL, allowing a paltry 260.2 ypg. Jets are 2nd way back at 299 ypg

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 01:16 PM
For the record I'm neither a Schaub apologist nor a Yates/Keenum advocate. I'm just surprised at the emotional response to what I felt was pretty common sense football information. But its cool to let your emotions speak for you on a chat forum, what do you really have to lose? Reputation? LOL!

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Texans defense #1 in tha NFL, allowing a paltry 260.2 ypg. Jets are 2nd way back at 299 ypg

How good is this defense on 3rd/4th downs? Stats don't tell the full story. How many points has the defense scored? They suck against the run. I'm not giving them a free pass because the stats won't cloud what I see on the field.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 01:20 PM
It's ignorant to blame one person for losses in football.

I get it Schaub is stinking it up and he's the scapegoat, but when you go over the film with a fine toothed comb you can see how much this team is flawed and how many variables lead to a loss.

If we are packing it in then send out Keenum or Yates I'm fine with starting over, but don't expect them to be a football messiah who will lead these guys to the promised land.

I bet if I look hard enough the earth's axis and/or the northern lights made the sun reflect too hard in the stadium so it was not on Schaub. fap fap fap

I'm sure there are some minute details we could debate. Unfortunately none of that matters. Schaub shat his pants, the game was lost /end

Not sure who think's Yates or Keenum would be world beaters. Money says they don't set NFL record for pick 6's.:bender:

Vinny
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
How good is this defense on 3rd/4th downs? Stats don't tell the full story. How many points has the defense scored? They suck against the run. I'm not giving them a free pass because the stats won't cloud what I see on the field.do you watch the rest of the NFL? Nobody runs out a perfect offense or defense. Fact is that this defense would have even better stats and would not be on their heels if not for the QB putting them in bad situations.

I'll only agree on one thing you posted....Sharpton is awful. He gets SWALLOWED up on blocks and can't shed. Dude cost us a few stops this last weekend.

klockWork
10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Kubiak holding on to Schaub as the starter is not about loyalty. It's about pride and ego. He invested too much into Schaub and to flip on him now is equivalent to admitting it was a mistake or he was wrong. It's all about pride and ego. The same reason why McNair hasn't fire Kubiak. It's about not having to admit you're wrong.

tedr
10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
How do you know the defense holds? They were getting burned the entire second half! The INT tied the game, it didn't lose it. Poor defensive plays and mental errors lost the game.

If by entire second half you mean the one TD drive in the fourth quarter, yeah, I guess that's true. However, looking at the entire second half (not OT), here are the Seahawk drives:

3 plays, -2 yards, punt
6 plays, 19 yards, punt
3 plays, 0 yards, FG (after Tate's fumble)
14 plays, 98 yards, TD
3 plays, 2 yards, INT
1 play, -1 yard, end of regulation

5 real possessions, 117 total yards- doesn't look like they were getting burned to me.

TexansSeminole
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
The defense has played great, but you have to admit that teams aren't exactly taking risks against our defense. The gameplan to beat the Texans is not to turn the ball over and play field position. SF didn't throw the ball downfield unless the guy was wide open.

tedr
10-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Kubiak holding on to Schaub as the starter is not about loyalty. It's about pride and ego. He invested too much into Schaub and to flip on him now is equivalent to admitting it was a mistake or he was wrong. It's all about pride and ego. The same reason why McNair hasn't fire Kubiak. It's about not having to admit you're wrong.

I don't think originally getting Schaub was a mistake...he did well for them, and got them to a certain point...Kubiak just needs to realize he's not productive anymore and move on.

As a caveat, obviously giving him that extension was a mistake.

htownfan32
10-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Kubiak is preparing to take the HC job at A&M when the current HC goes to USC.

**** that, I'd rather recall Kliff Kingsbury from Tech.

cstyle42
10-08-2013, 01:46 PM

How many other qbs in the nfl gets this many opportunities? 90% of the loss against the 49ers was on schaub.

good ol boy system

tedr
10-08-2013, 01:46 PM
The defense has played great, but you have to admit that teams aren't exactly taking risks against our defense. The gameplan to beat the Texans is not to turn the ball over and play field position. SF didn't throw the ball downfield unless the guy was wide open.

Teams don't have to take risks against our defense because, right now, they should know our offense will give them a few gifts each game. That shouldn't take anything away from how the defense has performed.

When it comes down to it, if you take away the gift points the Texans have given up by turnovers deep in our territory, pick 6's, and the punt return against Baltimore, the defense is only giving up 16 points a game. That's really good. The offense and special teams are essentially giving up 12 points a game. That's horrible.

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 01:47 PM
This world beating defense should have stopped Wilson on 4th and 3 and all this banter is moot, but hold onto whatever accolade you want. For my money KC, SEA, and SF are better defenses than what we have here.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 01:49 PM
This world beating defense should have stopped Wilson on 4th and 3 and all this banter is moot, but hold onto whatever accolade you want. For my money KC, SEA, and SF are better defenses than what we have here.ok, so you'd take 3 other defenses. So with the 4th best (your list) defense you are gonna cry about that? How much would you moan if we actually had a mediocre defense?

cstyle42
10-08-2013, 01:52 PM
This world beating defense should have stopped Wilson on 4th and 3 and all this banter is moot, but hold onto whatever accolade you want. For my money KC, SEA, and SF are better defenses than what we have here.

They aren't. If Texans had a mobile qb he would expose all those defenses.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 01:55 PM
ok, so you'd take 3 other defenses. So with the 4th best (your list) defense you are gonna cry about that? How much would you moan if we actually had a mediocre defense?

Haha, you ninja'ed me..was about to post basically same thing.

Not only that, I mean 4th and 3. Not even 2000 Ravens or 1970's Steelers stopped EVERY 4th and 3 lol. If it was 4th and 15 ok, I get it.....4th and 3?.......................

Vinny
10-08-2013, 01:55 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1007/nfl_e_schaub11_576.jpg

You may as well run the ball if your average P/A pass is only 3 yards.

None of Schaub’s play action passes this season have been thrown more than 20 yards downfield, a stark contrast to the previous two seasons.

In fact, Schaub’s average play action pass has been thrown 3.8 yards downfield this season (9.7 yards the previous two seasons), a deeper average than only Blaine Gabbert.

As a result, the Texans have only four 30-plus yard pass plays, tied for 26th in the NFL. None of those pass plays for Texans have come via play action. http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans

cstyle42
10-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I need to find a job where I can make big mistakes every week that cause me to not be successful but still get paid the big bucks while low and behold... I can just hold myself accountable. :) how great would that be...

TexansSeminole
10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Teams don't have to take risks against our defense because, right now, they should know our offense will give them a few gifts each game. That shouldn't take anything away from how the defense has performed.

When it comes down to it, if you take away the gift points the Texans have given up by turnovers deep in our territory, pick 6's, and the punt return against Baltimore, the defense is only giving up 16 points a game. That's really good. The offense and special teams is essentially giving up 12 points a game. That's horrible.

That's all true and I agree that the defense is playing well, but you can't say "let's take out these circumstances within each game and look at how things have gone." Everything that happens is part of the game and influences the way teams play against you.

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 01:57 PM

If that's 260.2 ypg out of 1000, that's pretty good. If that's 260.2 ypg out of 300, not so much.

If our offense & ST is so bad they've only got to put cover 300 ypg to score 34 points...... how good are we doing?

I believe our defense is playing well, very well. But not as good as the talent we've got on that side of the ball should be playing. If you give up two 70+ yard TD scoring drives in a game, that's a problem. If you give up a 90+ TD Scoring drive & an 80 yard scoring drive in the same game, that's a problem. If you give up a 99 yard TD scoring drive, that's a problem. If you've given up 9 TDs & a field goal in 10 red zone situations, that's a problem.

Not our biggest problem. But there is no way that Matt Schaub, Tj Yates, or Case Keenum are going to be able to hang with Denver (or New England when they get it figured out, & they will) if we're playing defense the way we're playing now. Especially since we are not generating any turn overs.

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Yeah but you think you can throw that football over them mountains so I gotta take that with a grain of salt.

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 02:07 PM
When the game is on the line is when special defenses step up, routine plays are meaningless if you can't get off the field on 3rd downs.

Who's whining? I'm simply stating the obvious, I would think that a Mod would have a more objective view but as is normal on this site they just insult, bait and lead the pach in all around abrasiveness. Take your blinders off bro.

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
If that's 260.2 ypg out of 1000, that's pretty good. If that's 260.2 ypg out of 300, not so much.

If our offense & ST is so bad they've only got to put cover 300 ypg to score 34 points...... how good are we doing?

I believe our defense is playing well, very well. But not as good as the talent we've got on that side of the ball should be playing. If you give up two 70+ yard TD scoring drives in a game, that's a problem. If you give up a 90+ TD Scoring drive & an 80 yard scoring drive in the same game, that's a problem. If you give up a 99 yard TD scoring drive, that's a problem. If you've given up 9 TDs & a field goal in 10 red zone situations, that's a problem.

Not our biggest problem. But there is no way that Matt Schaub, Tj Yates, or Case Keenum are going to be able to hang with Denver (or New England when they get it figured out, & they will) if we're playing defense the way we're playing now. Especially since we are not generating any turn overs.

Be careful, using logic and common sense with this group might get you lynched!!

2012Champs
10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1007/nfl_e_schaub11_576.jpg

You may as well run the ball if your average P/A pass is only 3 yards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans

While the flurry of pick 6s rest on Schuab's shoulders the fact that more balls arent going down field has to signal that another problem exist

Vinny
10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
When the game is on the line is when special defenses step up, routine plays are meaningless if you can't get off the field on 3rd downs.

Who's whining? I'm simply stating the obvious, I would think that a Mod would have a more objective view but as is normal on this site they just insult, bait and lead the pach in all around abrasiveness. Take your blinders off bro.why would a moderator have some sort of group-think opinion? If you don't like it here I can fix that you know.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 02:16 PM
While the flurry of pick 6s rest on Schuab's shoulders the fact that more balls arent going down field has to signal that another problem exist
everybody is just squatting on that short/intermediate pass now.

disaacks3
10-08-2013, 02:17 PM
But there is no way that Matt Schaub, Tj Yates, or Case Keenum are going to be able to hang with Denver (or New England when they get it figured out, & they will) if we're playing defense the way we're playing now. Especially since we are not generating any turn overs. You're assuming the few defensive woes we have can all be laid at the feet of the Defense. It just isn't so.

If the Texans Offense could generate long drives and points, it changes the calculus of the opposing team's gameplan. As it stands right now, the Texans Defense is losing hope and motivation with the Offense laying (goose) eggs.

When you don't score a TD for more than 6 quarters, there's damn little your Defense can do.

eriadoc
10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
So what if Keenum isn't even active for the Rams game? Yates is obviously the #2, but if the #3 isn't even active, that tells me he is not even preparing for the possibility of yanking Schaub.

Uncle Rico
10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
why would a moderator have some sort of group-think opinion? If you don't like it here I can fix that you know.

Do what you have to do, Gestapo tactics don't get far with me anyways. You should allow the site to grow and have different modes of thought instead of force feeding your agenda. My life will still be awesome without Texans Talk, would yours?

2012Champs
10-08-2013, 02:21 PM
everybody is just squatting on that short/intermediate pass now.

Understandable so what else is keeping the ball from going downfield? Is it play calling? Line play? Another symptom or symptoms have to be compounding Schaub's disease

TexansSeminole
10-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Do what you have to do, Gestapo tactics don't get far with me anyways. You should allow the site to grow and have different modes of thought instead of force feeding your agenda. My life will still be awesome without Texans Talk, would yours?

You're assuming people just take what Vinny says and run with it, because he is a moderator or something?

I always see a wide range of opinion on the site.

LikeMike
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I expect Schaub to start - with at least 1 pick and no TDs he will be benched at half. 2 picks and a loss would mean he is benched after the game.

If we win the game and he only throws 1 pick he will remain the starter.

Schaub is aweful this season and I don`t know why. He never was elite, but he was an above average QB for most of his time. Sure, he always had this one terrible stupid throw per game, but overall he moved the ball well. This year we see one brain fart after the next and a lot of problems with his accuracy (even the caught passes are usually low or high and that means no big runs after the catch).

If we can get the Schaub from the past back, I wouldn`t mind him remaining the starter - but the way he is playing (getting worse each game) he has to be benched. Unfortunately I don`t believe Yates or Keenum gives us the better chance to win - but at least they give us the hope that they can improve...

HOU-TEX
10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm telling ya, this cat's going to keep Schaub around for at least another year. I'd expect nothing more than status quo

I'm usually not a negative Nancy. I truly want all of them to succeed, including Kubiak and Schaub. I just think this offense has hit the ceiling. Teams have figured out how to scheme against it. But, we'll keep rolling it out there expecting different results. Sure, we'll win some, but not against the upper echelon

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Exactly (disaacks3). This is much like the years when our offense was throwing the ball around, piling up yards and points, and struggling to stay in games while the defense was giving up yards and points like crazy.... only reversed. Did anyone think that Kubiak wanted Schaub throwing the ball that much? Of course not. The failure of the defense to stop anybody made it a necessity to keep the pedal down on offense.

Now the fact that the offense won't score any points, or only scores them in one quarter and then parks itself in neutral the rest of the day is causing the defense to stay out there too long and to play under the kind of pressure you get when you know that any points you give up will be the margin of defeat since the offense isn't doing squat. When the offense gets all over the other team then your defense can take more chances because your opponent's offense has to become one dimensional to try and get back into the game.

We rarely see offenses doing that now because we're always playing keep-up/catch-up.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 02:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWEVP7lCYAExxMx.jpg

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 02:44 PM

*in small print*

Except for Schaub

2012Champs
10-08-2013, 02:59 PM
The best shot for this team to win this season is for someone to go over the matt and slap the sh!t out of him, have him wake up and get his sh!t together. Everyone is talking about physical issues but I think most of this is mental which can be harder to deal with. If Matt was 135/212 8 td 4 int we would be 3-1 or 4-0.

Tj isnt going 135/212 8 Td and probably not 9 ints

Case despite his fan base I dont think he would go 64%

Dread-Head
10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Let Schaub call audibles and see what happens.

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Welp, looks like Uncle Rico got booted.....thread pages all jacked up and I can't see his posts anymore.

Did he just have a total meltdown or what? I saw he was getting pretty upset.

DX-TEX
10-08-2013, 04:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7t4UjcF.png

America hates us

HTown2ATX
10-08-2013, 04:13 PM

America hates us

Haha, I like that somehow WV is the other state with TX. That said who cares, the US public also elected the last 2 Presidents (obviously all Presidents but you get the point).

Public poll = shake weight cream.

fiasco west
10-08-2013, 04:23 PM

America hates us

People think Matt is just the best QB on the team. When you talk to non-texan fans about it, it isn't. "Give Case a shot, I like what I've seen with him."

It's "Whose case? What other option do you really have?"

It's like the first take discussion where Steven A Smith was like "Meh" on Yates and Skip told him who Case was and then that swayed his opinion a bit.

DX-TEX
10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Haha, I like that somehow WV is the other state with TX. That said who cares, the US public also elected the last 2 Presidents (obviously all Presidents but you get the point).

People think Matt is just the best QB on the team. When you talk to non-texan fans about it, it isn't. "Give Case a shot, I like what I've seen with him."

It's like the first take discussion where Steven A Smith was like "Meh" on Yates and Skip told him who Case was and then that swayed his opinion a bit.

I posted this on a different NFL forum I post at and they all said they have their own teams best interests in mind. Basically they all feel if you put any good QB on that team it is scary for the rest of the league.

Maybe I should forward this to Kubiak

Double Barrel
10-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I posted this on a different NFL forum I post at and they all said they have their own teams best interests in mind. Basically they all feel if you put any good QB on that team it is scary for the rest of the league.

Maybe I should forward this to Kubiak

That was my first thought when I saw that poll. Of course they think Schaub should start! It takes the Texans out of the race!!

2012Champs
10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Could it be that most people not emotionally connected still think Schaub is the best option?

TexansSeminole
10-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Could it be that most people not emotionally connected still think Schaub is the best option?

It's probably that they haven't watched every Texans game of the season and haven't seen how bad he has actually been. Also, they probably don't know nearly as much about his poor stretch at the end of last year.

deucetx
10-08-2013, 05:09 PM

More than likely it deals more with the fact they don't know about the team and it's struggles. They just see a team that won the division and been to the playoffs. That is about it. They look on the surface and won't dive deeper.

How many would know the Patriots game being a downward spiral for the Texans? That since that game up til now (including playoffs) we have been outscored 303-205. That out of these 11 games we loss by more than double digits in 6 of them. All they are talking about as is seems to be Romo for one interception (at a critical time albeit) while Schaub threw three with a fourth being dropped and one being returned for a TD. Oh and one of those should have also been returned if it didn't bounce into the air first.

So yeah they don't have nearly as deep of a look into the situation than our fanbase. Just like in the thread started by a Rams visitor here and a few of our posters say they don't know anything about the Rams. That's how fanbases are.

Double Barrel
10-08-2013, 05:19 PM

That could certainly be a factor. They see a "pro bowl QB" with a loaded roster and probably think it's a slump.

2-3 is not the end of the world to the rest of the nation like it seems to be to Houston fans. I still think there is a lot of football left to play even with my current lack of confidence in Schaub.

I've watched a lot of football in the last four decades, and I've seen teams rebound from worse spots. I cannot, and will not, give up hope that this season is lost until it is actually lost.

Thorn
10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
That could certainly be a factor. They see a "pro bowl QB" with a loaded roster and probably think it's a slump.

2-3 is not the end of the world to the rest of the nation like it seems to be to Houston fans. I still think there is a lot of football left to play even with my current lack of confidence in Schaub.

I've watched a lot of football in the last four decades, and I've seen teams rebound from worse spots. I cannot, and will not, give up hope that this season is lost until it is actually lost.

The Giants ended the Patsies perfect season, so anything is possible I agree. I just don't think it's going to happen with Schaub at QB. We'll see. Predicting the future is always silly. Even X-Files dated the alien invasion for 2012 and they missed. And I trust Mulder and Scully. :)

DX-TEX
10-08-2013, 05:51 PM
The Giants ended the Patsies perfect season, so anything is possible I agree. I just don't think it's going to happen with Schaub at QB. We'll see. Predicting the future is always silly. Even X-Files dated the alien invasion for 2012 and they missed. And I trust Mulder and Scully. :)

Agreed. At this point Schaub is Jake Delhomme, his mind and confidence are completely gone. Combine that with his noodle arm (still believe he had a dead arm from week 12 onward last year) and he is finished as an NFL QB.

klockWork
10-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Anyone here think if the second int wasn't bobble and the guy takes it cleanly to the endzone to make it two pick 6s in a game would that make it easier for kubiak to make a change? What if it was 3 pick 6s, which could have happen in SF?

Even though it didn't happen it still feel like it did to a lot of people I know. So in our minds we essentially have a QB that threw multiple pick 6s in a game that broke NFL record in consecutive games and yet Schaub will run out that field next week along side JJ Watt. Something wrong with this picture.

Double Barrel
10-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Well I certainly agree. I think it's a low probability to see this team win the division, but it's not impossible. That little sliver of possibility is where my hope resides.

But, IMO, they would win in spite of Schaub.

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 07:15 PM
You're assuming the few defensive woes we have can all be laid at the feet of the Defense. It just isn't so.

If the Texans Offense could generate long drives and points, it changes the calculus of the opposing team's gameplan. As it stands right now, the Texans Defense is losing hope and motivation with the Offense laying (goose) eggs.

When you don't score a TD for more than 6 quarters, there's damn little your Defense can do.

That's rationalization. I'm pretty good at it. I'm good at recognizing it as well.

drs23
10-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Did anyone know that Gary named his sons Klint, Klay, and Klein?

Yep, that's our Head Coach. What a creative mind.

What are their middle names? I bet there's a subliminal message in there that's over our heads. One that only a great mind can grasp...:kitten:

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Whoever made that probably meant to make it Texas & Virginia. That would make more sense.

htownfan32
10-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Whoever made that probably meant to make it Texas & Virginia. That would make more sense.

UV still remembers Schaub lol?

drs23
10-08-2013, 07:57 PM
That's rationalization. I'm pretty good at it. I'm good at recognizing it as well.

Dayum TK you're good. And honest. You go Man!

TexanExile
10-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Wow. I had no idea The Onion had a sports section.

ArlingtonTexan
10-08-2013, 08:45 PM

and just like it really did not work out that great to elect a President on the ideas of "hope and change" along "he can't worse than the one we had before," it probably is not going be any better (ya know wins/loses in 2013) with "hope and change" Keenum or "not any worse" Yates.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 08:47 PM
and just like it really did not work out that great to elect a President on the ideas of "hope and change" along "he can't worse than the one we had before," it probably is not going be any better (ya know wins/loses in 2013) with "hope and change" Keenum or "not any worse" Yates.
So Schaub is Bush....so which one is Obama?

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 08:48 PM
why cant we make keenum and yates battle it out in practice?

why cant they be given some reps vs 1st team defense and see if they can be better than schaub?

What is the harm in this? Why is everybody afraid of finding out what keenum can do?

Why can we make them earn it?

Because this is real life. What you're "hoping for" has probably already happened in practice in one form or another. Kubiak, Dennison, & Dorrell evaluate those guys on a daily basis. I bet their talking behind Schaub's back, preparing Keenum for the starting job.

I bet you Keenum will be the #2 after the bye.

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 08:51 PM

The one who has never done anything to make you believe he can start in this league.

ArlingtonTexan
10-08-2013, 08:52 PM

More Texans fans should be like who the hell is Case Keenum? One thing to want some 'hope and change" another to be assigning a dude who was not even active last week with leadership, poise and accuracy among other things.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM

The one who has never done anything to make you believe he can start in this league.

touché

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
ohh really?

is that why arian foster sat almost an entire year only to be discovered when steve slaton got injured?

We've discussed this before. But being that you're new here, I'll repeat it. Arian said he wasn't as dedicated to football as he needed to be when he got here. It was late in the season before he recognized the opportunity he was about to throw away.

We brought in another talented back at the same time as Arian, Jeremiah Johnson out of Oregon. Just as talented as Arian, different, but just as talented. He threw away his opportunity. Arian put in the work.

Is that why jacoby jones and trindon holliday are not here anymore because they were "evaluated" in practice?

We ran out of LBs & needed the roster spot. Trindon wasn't doing us any good on our roster anyway.

Jacoby..... I think Kubiak made a bad decision. But I'm in the minority on this board. I would have taken Jacoby's game breaking speed & ability to make plays over Walter's dependability & blocking ability.

Is that why shiloh keo is still sniffing game reps because the "evaluators" deemed he's the best to do the job?

That's on Wade. But to be fair, we cut Demps twice. Once before Wade, & once after Wade.

Or are they keeping the status quo, playing seniority, status, and contracts over talent, youth, and potential?

come on, you know better than this.

What I know is that we've won back to back division titles, 10+ games two seasons running, & a play-off game each of the last two years. Sure we're making mistakes, making bad moves, etc.... but we're making a bunch of good ones too.

lol at real life. Yea those matt schaub pick 6s didnt actually happen but they were some dream state stand alone complex.

get outta here with that.

Real life is that 32 teams passed on Case Keenum 7 times. 3 teams decided to add Ryan Lindley, B.J. Coleman, & Chandler Harnish to their program in lieu of Case Keenum. Two of which probably know a good QB when they see one, Green Bay & Indy.

Gary Kubiak thought enough of the dwarf to add him to our squad & put him on the roster for 2013. Real life is that you fanbois should be greatful that he's got a job in the first place. & the man responsible will put him in the game when he's ready. Real life is that if Keenum is not ready after Matt Schaub has thrown 9 INTs in 5 games, he's not ready.

Tim Jamison is an UDFA, so is Arian. Most people on this board & national media (other folks whose livelihood isn't tied to the decisions they say Kubiak should make) said we should cut Kareem. Briesel was undrafted, We got Myers for a 6th round pick, but drafted Centers in the 3rd & 4th round who couldn't get him off the field. Derek Newton was a sixth round pick, Ryan Harris has been here longer. We cut Antonio Caldwell to keep Ben Jones & Brandon Brooks. Joe Mays takes more snaps than Darryl Sharpton or Tim Dobbins. Hopkins is above Martin, Jean, & Posey.

Your reasoning doesn't fit with real life.

devo-x
10-08-2013, 09:58 PM
There's not that much difference between Schaub and Yates at the present moment - If Kubiak wants to keep the team together and not lose another game, he should let Yates start this week instead.

BullBlitz
10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
At this point, I don't think Kubiak should get to make the decision as to which QB should start. Unfortunately, he does.

Rey
10-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Difference between Schaub and Yates is that when Yates throws picks they are down field. Almost like punts.

Schaub throws little short picks that are taken back for 6.

waynegg
10-09-2013, 05:11 AM

Which one funded his oil company?

Edit *i read Osama...

dream_team
10-09-2013, 05:29 AM
We've discussed this before. But being that you're new here, I'll repeat it. Arian said he wasn't as dedicated to football as he needed to be when he got here. It was late in the season before he recognized the opportunity he was about to throw away.

We brought in another talented back at the same time as Arian, Jeremiah Johnson out of Oregon. Just as talented as Arian, different, but just as talented. He threw away his opportunity. Arian put in the work.

We ran out of LBs & needed the roster spot. Trindon wasn't doing us any good on our roster anyway.

Jacoby..... I think Kubiak made a bad decision. But I'm in the minority on this board. I would have taken Jacoby's game breaking speed & ability to make plays over Walter's dependability & blocking ability.

That's on Wade. But to be fair, we cut Demps twice. Once before Wade, & once after Wade.

What I know is that we've won back to back division titles, 10+ games two seasons running, & a play-off game each of the last two years. Sure we're making mistakes, making bad moves, etc.... but we're making a bunch of good ones too.

Real life is that 32 teams passed on Case Keenum 7 times. 3 teams decided to add Ryan Lindley, B.J. Coleman, & Chandler Harnish to their program in lieu of Case Keenum. Two of which probably know a good QB when they see one, Green Bay & Indy.

Gary Kubiak thought enough of the dwarf to add him to our squad & put him on the roster for 2013. Real life is that you fanbois should be greatful that he's got a job in the first place. & the man responsible will put him in the game when he's ready. Real life is that if Keenum is not ready after Matt Schaub has thrown 9 INTs in 5 games, he's not ready.

Tim Jamison is an UDFA, so is Arian. Most people on this board & national media (other folks whose livelihood isn't tied to the decisions they say Kubiak should make) said we should cut Kareem. Briesel was undrafted, We got Myers for a 6th round pick, but drafted Centers in the 3rd & 4th round who couldn't get him off the field. Derek Newton was a sixth round pick, Ryan Harris has been here longer. We cut Antonio Caldwell to keep Ben Jones & Brandon Brooks. Joe Mays takes more snaps than Darryl Sharpton or Tim Dobbins. Hopkins is above Martin, Jean, & Posey.

Good response. I said something similar, but you put it better. I'm sure he'll still stand by his statements.

dtran04
10-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Understandable so what else is keeping the ball from going downfield? Is it play calling? Line play? Another symptom or symptoms have to be compounding Schaub's disease

This is a SLOW offense. Not a single person has the ability to take it to the house on a slant or blow by someone on a fly route. Players get open from the scheme.

thunderkyss
10-09-2013, 03:45 PM
This is a SLOW offense. Not a single person has the ability to take it to the house on a slant or blow by someone on a fly route. Players get open from the scheme.

If "the house" is less than 60 yards away, we've seen Ben Tate show the ability to get it done.

If it's less than 17 yards away, Arian has demonstrated the necessary skillz to make it happen.

dtran04
10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
If "the house" is less than 60 yards away, we've seen Ben Tate show the ability to get it done.

If it's less than 17 yards away, Arian has demonstrated the necessary skillz to make it happen.

Unfortunately, Tate gets about 8-10 touches a game before fumbling and getting benched.

houstonspartan
10-09-2013, 06:00 PM
The Rams may be terrible, but, we are forgetting they are coached by a guy who knows this team very, very well...

Big Lou
10-09-2013, 06:09 PM
All I can say is that it better be a short f'n leash that Mr. Pick Six is on or I won't tune in until we have a new QB. I will support the team and root for them as there is still plenty of season left, but Schaub needs to at least sit and get his damn head straight for a couple of games and then if earned get another shot.

He needs to be sent to Rick's Office to sign a new contract as well. QB's with 30 million guaranteed dollars shouldn't be in the record books for most pick six games in a row.

Grams
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Very disappointed, but not surprised Schaub is starting this week.

Oz Texan
10-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Real life is that 32 teams also passed 7 times on Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, John Randal, James Harrison, London Fletcher, Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Brian Waters, Adam Vinitiri, Priest Holmes, Rod Smith, Jeff Saturday, Victor Cruz.

So being passed over by every team in the draft does not mean you can not play and play very well.

thunderkyss
10-09-2013, 07:26 PM
So being passed over by every team in the draft does not mean you can not play and play very well.

No, but it mean you wait your turn.

bOODRO87
10-09-2013, 07:34 PM
No, but it mean you wait your turn.

That thinking process is beyond dated and asinine. Kinda like these old dinosaurs in congress who think pot is a dangerous drug. Did I miss something in preseason that I'm not seeing? Sure, TJ could get out of the pocket and complete a pass on the run. But Case, those TDs to Jean, hitting WRs in stride, and the back of the end zone throw to Griffin in Dallas. I could never see Matt or TJ make those.

thunderkyss
10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Did I miss something in preseason that I'm not seeing?

It seems you missed the fact that it was preseason.

bOODRO87
10-09-2013, 08:05 PM
It seems you missed the fact that it was preseason.

Oh right, because surrounding him with the talent we have on 1st string could never be positive and those big, bullying 1st string defenses would intercept every pass. What was I thinking..

nut
10-09-2013, 08:06 PM
we can't win a playoff game with schaub. I know kubiak will stick with him. both must go.

rmartin65
10-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Real life is that 32 teams also passed 7 times on Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, John Randal, James Harrison, London Fletcher, Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Brian Waters, Adam Vinitiri, Priest Holmes, Rod Smith, Jeff Saturday, Victor Cruz.

You don't want to go down this road. The number of UDFAs that never amounted to anything is far greater than the number of UDFAs that were able to carve out an NFL career.

I am not saying that it is impossible that Keenum becomes a legit NFL player... but it is highly unlikely.

Personally, I doubt it happens. I was not impressed with him in college, and while he looked good in pre-season- it was pre-season. However, I actually want him to get some playing time (soon), as I am excited by the fact that there are two possible outcomes- 1) Keenum is the god that the UofH fans believe, and the Texans' QB problems are thus solved, or 2) Keenum shows that he is nothing special, and the UofH fans shut up about him. Either way, I win.

thunderkyss
10-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I am not saying that it is impossible that Keenum becomes a legit NFL player... but it is highly unlikely.

Personally, I doubt it happens.

I think it can happen. Kubiak made Schaub a starter sight unseen. He's made Schaub a pretty successful NFL QB. I think he can do just as much with Keenum when Keenum's ready.

It doesn't make sense that Keenum went undrafted, but Kubiak is the only HC who saw enough in him to give him a shot, then saw enough to put him on the roster.

But now he's an idjit because he won't play him. If Keenum is going to see real playing time in the NFL, it's going to be because Kubiak gives him the oportunity. Kubiak may be married to Schaub, but Keenum is married to Kubiak.

If Kubiak is not here next season, Keenum most likely isn't either. That's reality. Doesn't make sense. His talent is obvious to all of us. I'm not being sarcastic here. But every year there is a flood of potential entering the league every year & Keenum is going to fade away in that sea of potential. So I understand the sense of urgency the fanbois have. For them, it's now or never.

Texan_Bill
10-09-2013, 09:03 PM
The Rams may be terrible, but, we are forgetting they are coached by a guy who knows this team very, very well...

In this very over-blown, over-zealous hatred for Schaub and Kubiak coupled with the fact that the Texans (irrespective of the fact they should whip St. Louis), this is a really good point. Fisher knows the Texans very well.

While I expect a win, the point about "Porn 'stache (who went grey goatee guy)" is a very valid point. His defenses have always played the Texans well.

Oz Texan
10-09-2013, 09:32 PM
You don't want to go down this road. The number of UDFAs that never amounted to anything is far greater than the number of UDFAs that were able to carve out an NFL career.

This also applies to players that are drafted far more of them amount to nothing than ones that do.

rmartin65
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
This also applies to players that are drafted far more of them amount to nothing than ones that do.

But the percentages are different. You random first rounder will be better than your random UDFA a vast majority of the time (provided the sample size is large enough). Same thing goes with UDFA vs. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders. Granted, the further down you get in the draft the less of a difference there is, but the basic point stands.

nut
10-09-2013, 10:18 PM
The SL Lambs stink and we will probably beat them. Unfortunately, te Kool-Aid drinkers & Kubiak will say we got the ship righted now. I think we should cut bait now.

Oz Texan
10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
But the percentages are different. You random first rounder will be better than your random UDFA a vast majority of the time (provided the sample size is large enough). Same thing goes with UDFA vs. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders. Granted, the further down you get in the draft the less of a difference there is, but the basic point stands.

I'm not saying you are wrong just that even some UDFAs have value even if no one thought enough to draft. Saying that UDFAs should have to wait their turn is nonsense. If the person has proven to be better than what you have you play them no matter when they were or were not drafted.

Texecutioner
10-09-2013, 10:23 PM
If Kubiak is not here next season, Keenum most likely isn't either. That's reality. Doesn't make sense. His talent is obvious to all of us. I'm not being sarcastic here. But every year there is a flood of potential entering the league every year & Keenum is going to fade away in that sea of potential. So I understand the sense of urgency the fanbois have. For them, it's now or never.

That is exactly it. There won't be a next year for Keenum unless he proves what he has this season. I don't think anyone would care if he just got a few games and ended up playing really poorly. NO ONE has suggested that it is for sure that Keenum will open up the scoreboard or anything, but with his arm and his mobility and the recent successes of a lot of young QB's leads a lot of spectators room to believe that Keenum just might be one of those diamond in the rough players out there. We need to see though.

thunderkyss
10-09-2013, 11:41 PM
That is exactly it. There won't be a next year for Keenum unless he proves what he has this season. I don't think anyone would care if he just got a few games and ended up playing really poorly. NO ONE has suggested that it is for sure that Keenum will open up the scoreboard or anything, but with his arm and his mobility and the recent successes of a lot of young QB's leads a lot of spectators room to believe that Keenum just might be one of those diamond in the rough players out there. We need to see though.

The thing about it is that if this "decision" was about saving his job, well my job if I were Kubiak, I'd go with Case now. Especially if he had any reason to be suspicious of Matt's foot.

Sure, CnD knew about the foot, but obviously the Texans' doctors don't. I'd blame his foot anyway, say "How was I supposed to know? We rolled the dice & it came up snake eyes."

Then go with Keenum. The fans would have sympothy for him, McNair would understand. He can still bring in a QB in the off-season to "compete" with Keenum.

Of course, Kubiak may think he has time to play the Keenum card. Still, if there was any question about his foot, now would be the time.

silvrhand
10-09-2013, 11:55 PM
The thing about it is that if this "decision" was about saving his job, well my job if I were Kubiak, I'd go with Case now. Especially if he had any reason to be suspicious of Matt's foot.

Sure, CnD knew about the foot, but obviously the Texans' doctors don't. I'd blame his foot anyway, say "How was I supposed to know? We rolled the dice & it came up snake eyes."

Then go with Keenum. The fans would have sympothy for him, McNair would understand. He can still bring in a QB in the off-season to "compete" with Keenum.

Of course, Kubiak may think he has time to play the Keenum card. Still, if there was any question about his foot, now would be the time.

It's more than the foot it's just simply really really bad decisions by Matt. There is no way Case starts over TJ guys, it'll be TJ up and only if TJ gets hurt and Matt comes in and plays horribly does Case get his shot.

DX-TEX
10-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Im to the point of being numb to this entire season. I don't care who starts anymore. The excitement is just gone.

TejasTom
10-10-2013, 12:14 AM
..., hitting WRs in stride,...

What does this mean? I am not familiar with the term.
-Matt Schaub

Vinny
10-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Im to the point of being numb to this entire season. I don't care who starts anymore. The excitement is just gone.

Schaub has really only had one awful game. 2-3 with one of the better defenses in the NFL ....gotta be some tingling left. Enjoy good defense. Go ahead and throw in the towel if the Lambs beat us though.

Lucky
10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Schaub has really only had one awful game.
Was that the Ravens or the Niners game?

Sunday will be a disaster for this franchise. The fans have turned on Schaub. There will be zero room for error without incessant booing. And that will be from the 1st quarter on. How can Kubiak not see this? How can McNair not? How far is their heads up their arse to not see that benching Schaub is not the right move any way you look at it. I don't get it. This game should be on Halloween, because it will be a straight up horror show.

Trail.Blazr
10-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Sunday will be a disaster for this franchise. The fans have turned on Schaub. There will be zero room for error without incessant booing. And that will be from the 1st quarter on. How can Kubiak not see this? How can McNair not? How far is their heads up their arse to not see that benching Schaub is not the right move any way you look at it. I don't get it. This game should be on Halloween, because it will be a straight up horror show.

YES!

Double Barrel
10-10-2013, 12:00 PM

You're right, it could get really ugly. While just a very small percentage, the fans burning a jersey and showing up at Schaub's house are representative of something much deeper in the fan base. There is discontent stemming from frustration at decades of futility in this city.

The Rockets won championships and the Astros finally made it to the World Series, but this is a football town and always has been. Which is why decades of built-up disgruntlement are showing in the cracks of this fan base. It is probably not fair to put all of that discontent on one man's shoulders, but it is what it is right now.

McNair may or may not be aware of the depth of dissatisfaction in this city. He's not from around here, so while one can learn, it is much different than experiencing it. Much of the grievances among Houston football fans were planted into us as children. And there has been nothing since then to free us from the shackles of historical disappointment.

infantrycak and I have talked quite a bit about the difference in perspective and attitude among Texans fans that were old Oilers fans versus those that were Cowboys fans. Oilers fans expect the choke, never truly feel safe with a lead, and are just waiting for the other shoe to fall. And everything in our city's sports history has done nothing but sustain that attitude. Cowboys fans, on the other hand, were conditioned to never give up because those '70's Cowboys teams were known to come from behind and bring home championships.

Sunday could be the rumblings of a very sinister volcano about to erupt in Houston if the Texans come out flat and Schaub continues to meltdown. If they lose to the Rams, it might be the lowest point in Texans history so far. Yeah, 2-14 was bad, but we knew it from the beginning of that season. They fired their OC just two games into the season. This year we were drinking Super Bowl koolaide before being pimp slapped by the last four games.

Obviously, most of us hope this never happens and the Rams game is the beginning of a rebound. Even though I'm not a Kubiak or Schaub fan, I still want this team to win every game. Hoping for a crappy season to get the coach fired is not in my mentality. It's a betrayal that I cannot grasp.

HOU-TEX
10-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Together until the end. lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWOWcfaCIAAWjZu.jpg:large

76Texan
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Hou-Tex, I want a couple of grumpy faces in that photo, LOL!

ChrisG
10-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Hou-Tex, I want a couple of grumpy faces in that photo, LOL!

Nah, Kubes is perfect for this situation. He has no idea what is happening around him and just smiling like an idiot

Giant Tiger
10-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Not sure about the horror show, but I think that if any team comes in prepared to play the Texans, it's a team coached by Jeff Fisher. Now with our team in disarray, the schedule really works in his favor. I would have thought if any team would get a pick 6 against the Texans, it would be the Rams. Plus if people start booing, that benefits Fisher, too. I'm not liking our chances right now, unless the defense plays lights out.

KA4Texan
10-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Nah, Kubes is perfect for this situation. He has no idea what is happening around him and just smiling like an idiot

I'm more concerned about Schaub pointing a gun. He will inevitably make a bad decision and hit someone other than his target. :kitten:

:spin: I just couldn't resist.

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Confidence in Schaub? This quote by Kubiak says it all.

“It was a tough decision, real tough, but I feel like it’s the best thing for our team (Sunday),” Kubiak said. “A lot of thought went into it.

thunderkyss
10-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Most people are writing off that comment, they don't believe he thought about it at all.

I don't know if he did or not, but I'd hate to get to 4-6 then have to deal with the same question again. Either way, had he gone with Case Keenum & we end up 4-6..... I'd be just as upset.

Mr teX
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Kubiak's substitution for Schaub in the SF game was a microcosm of how he'll come to the decision to bench Schaub this season. he'll wait until it's too late to salvage the season & when he does sub him in we won't see much difference between Yates or Keenum....b/c he'll handcuff them with his rigid system.

2012Champs
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Kubiak's substitution for Schaub in the SF game was a microcosm of how he'll come to the decision to bench Schaub this season. he'll wait until it's too late to salvage the season & when he does sub him in we won't see much difference between Yates or Keenum....b/c he'll handcuff them with his rigid system.

Even if Yates of Keenum perform above realistic expectations you arent going to salvage the season right now. The prudent course is to keep working at correcting the issues until the playoff run is lost. Then you can play with the starting snaps

dalemurphy
10-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Schaub will be yanked during the rams game if he starts falling apart... By the third quarter. Kubiak would never say what he did, if he wasn't very, very displeased with schaub and close to making a change. He doesn't call out players.

silvrhand
10-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Schaub will be yanked during the rams game if he starts falling apart... By the third quarter. Kubiak would never say what he did, if he wasn't very, very displeased with schaub and close to making a change. He doesn't call out players.

1000% agree, he pulled Schaub from the last game which was a bit surprising he has to know he's on the hot seat. Look while Kubiak may be team this team that, he's smart enough to know that he's on the hot seat.

If he f's this up he's definitely sinking his ship.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Kubiak lives by the sword, dies by the sword and Matt Schaub is the mother of all broad swords...

Until I actually see Schaub sitting on the sideline and another QB stepping in because of what Schaub was not doing, I won't believe anything that comes out of Kubiak's face....

Remember Schaub is HIS guy, and to replace him means he made a mistake and Kubiak is to ego driven to admit that...

thunderkyss
10-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Kubiak lives by the sword, dies by the sword and Matt Schaub is the mother of all broad swords...

Until I actually see Schaub sitting on the sideline and another QB stepping in because of what Schaub was not doing, I won't believe anything that comes out of Kubiak's face....

Remember Schaub is HIS guy, and to replace him means he made a mistake and Kubiak is to ego driven to admit that...

And as hard as it is to believe Schaub played well outside of the INTs. He's got 15 good throws on one hand, 5 questionable ones, & 5 bad ones in the SF game (or something like that).

You're the head coach, you've got to be able to look at the whole game, not just the bad throws & make your decision.

I'm not saying I would have made the same decision Kubiak did. Only that I think I understand it. I'd have understood it if he went the other way & started Yates/Keenum.

Others have said it as well, Matt Schaub looks physically healthier than he has in a long while. He's stepping into his throws well. My opinion, he's been very accurate. Only one of those INTs was on a poorly thrown ball & it was a bad, panicked decision by Schaub... something he doesn't always do.

Seattle's secondary is pretty good. San Frans secondary is pretty good. I don't know that we can take for granted the good throws, the good plays Matt had in those games. Definitely wouldn't expect Yates/Keenum to put 300 yards on the Legion of Boom. (then looking at what Luck did, you don't really need to).

HTown2ATX
10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/htownballa80/nodefense_zps21c83873.jpg (http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/htownballa80/media/nodefense_zps21c83873.jpg.html)

HOU-TEX
10-11-2013, 04:10 PM
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc443/htownballa80/nodefense_zps21c83873.jpg (http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/htownballa80/media/nodefense_zps21c83873.jpg.html)

Ha, that's awesome

Gotta spread the rep

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Ha, that's awesome

Gotta spread the rep

Also got to spread the rep.

ObsiWan
10-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Close, but in the "What Matt Schaub sees" part there should only be Owen Daniels and Andre Johnson.

ObsiWan
10-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Ha, that's awesome

Gotta spread the rep

Also got to spread the rep.

Got him.

Lucky
10-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Others have said it as well, Matt Schaub looks physically healthier than he has in a long while. He's stepping into his throws well. My opinion, he's been very accurate. Only one of those INTs was on a poorly thrown ball & it was a bad, panicked decision by Schaub... something he doesn't always do.
Yes, others that are equally delusional have said that Matt Schaub looks healthier.

Very accurate, even on the interceptions? Do you ever go back and read these things aloud before posting?

hradhak
10-13-2013, 08:15 AM
We keep thinking that Kubiak is holding on to Schaub because he is loyal to him.
Could it be that Yates and / or Keenum are known commodities? Kubes does see them in practice every week. Could it be that he just thinks they are too terrible to be out there?

I'm not saying that I agree with Kubes. I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough"

Lucky
10-13-2013, 09:09 AM
I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough"
If the Texans had spent an early round pick on a QB, that would have been an admission that Schaub is not the guy long term. So yeah, they would be further down the road to the decision they will eventually have to make, for sure had they taken a Geno Smith or moved up for EJ Manuel, But, they choose to give Schaub an additional weapon, instead.

Regarding Yates and Keenum stinking it up in practice, that's a wild arse assumption. They both had better preseasons than Schaub, though they went against reserves. But, they were playing with reserves and guys that are no longer in the league, as well. Kubiak kept both on the 53 man roster (which I agreed with). They are both better athletes with (at this point) stronger arms. Kubiak has had 3 years to coach up Yates, 2 with Keenum. By keeping these guys and not looking for a vet like Cassel or Fitzpatrick, they displayed confidence in them. There's little chance the backups could fail at the level Schaub has. Yates, and Keenum if TJ fails, deserves a chance to right the ship.

Fear of change and worrying about hurting Schaub's psyche are what is keeping Kubiak from pulling the trigger. Well, wait until Schaub throws an incompletion today (much less an interception), and we'll see how Matt handles the booing that will ensue. This was the game to bring in Yates and get his feet wet.

DocBar
10-13-2013, 09:35 AM
We keep thinking that Kubiak is holding on to Schaub because he is loyal to him.
Could it be that Yates and / or Keenum are known commodities? Kubes does see them in practice every week. Could it be that he just thinks they are too terrible to be out there?

I'm not saying that I agree with Kubes. I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough" Why do you think that a rookie would serve the team better than a veteran with playing experience or a very good college QB (spare me the system QB mantra)? About the only absolute advantage a high draft pick rookie gives you is a longer leash. Sometimes to the teams detriment. Just look at the NYJ's, the Browns, Rams or Cardinals. Or Detroit for that matter.

I'm much more impressed with a coach who has the stones to pull the trigger like Carroll or Harbaugh did last season. Look at how both of those teams responded. For every Andrew Luck, there are 10 JaMarcus Russell's.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 09:44 AM

I'm not saying that I agree with Kubes. I would imagine that if we had an early round pick on the bench he'd be playing right now and this decision wouldn't be so "tough"

I think Kubiak knows that he can game plan Tj/Case to victory, just like he can coach Matt Schaub to victory. The unknown is how will Tj/Case read/react to NFL defenses. Can they get us out of a bad play into a good play? How are they going to react to a bad throw? Are they going to be able to forget the last play & move on to the next?

I know people are going to say Schaub can't do those things, but when asked about the INTs Kubiak said they were all different. That Schaub isn't doing the same thing over & over, tipping the defense.

Speaking of how poorly Schaub is playing. When I watch Gabbert play, or when I watched Lienart play, or when I watched David Carr play... I see poor QB play. Poor throws, poor reads, happy feet, indecisive...

I'm not seeing any of that with Schaub. Take away the two INTs, Schaub out played Andrew Luck vs Seattle. Find one game Gabbert out played Luck.

If you remember the tiers that we've put Schaub in before. Cutler, Eli, Flacco, Rivers..... Romo... they're all doing about the same right now. Some a little better in some categories than others. Some a little worse than others in other categories. 1 game better or worse in the W-L column...... but none of them are in any real danger of getting benched but Schaub. & that's because of something he really has no control over. That second INT towards Andre in the SF game, could've been a pick 6, wasn't because of what Andre did, not what Schaub did. The one Eric Reed dropped... Schaub didn't do anything different, but that should have been a pick 6.

gafftop
10-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Watching Sunday NFL Countdown and they asked Ray Lewis about when your QB is struggling/or is no good what they did. He mentioned when Tony Banks was struggling the coach Billick came to the leaders and asked them should they stick with Banks and go down with a sinking ship or make change. Change was made to Dilfer and they went on to SB. Do you think Kubiak got leaders together?

No we will sink. I think change will be made but only after too late.

RunningTheSouth
10-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Time to bench Schaub, he sucks!

gafftop
10-13-2013, 06:19 PM

We did see them in preseason and MS and Yates looked basically like they have in preseason. Ms stalled in preseason and Yates just checked down. We also saw Case and he had a couple plays the other two did not.
Kubiak/Smith sticking with Schaub because if they don't they are admitting they screwed up by giving Matt big contract. Self preservation to the end baby.

DX-TEX
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWfWx0tIAAAW5nU.jpg

Look at pic. Schaub is going to miss some time

Hervoyel
10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I think Kubiak knows that he can game plan Tj/Case to victory, just like he can coach Matt Schaub to victory. The unknown is how will Tj/Case read/react to NFL defenses. Can they get us out of a bad play into a good play? How are they going to react to a bad throw? Are they going to be able to forget the last play & move on to the next?

I know people are going to say Schaub can't do those things, but when asked about the INTs Kubiak said they were all different. That Schaub isn't doing the same thing over & over, tipping the defense.

Speaking of how poorly Schaub is playing. When I watch Gabbert play, or when I watched Lienart play, or when I watched David Carr play... I see poor QB play. Poor throws, poor reads, happy feet, indecisive...

I'm not seeing any of that with Schaub. Take away the two INTs, Schaub out played Andrew Luck vs Seattle. Find one game Gabbert out played Luck.

If you remember the tiers that we've put Schaub in before. Cutler, Eli, Flacco, Rivers..... Romo... they're all doing about the same right now. Some a little better in some categories than others. Some a little worse than others in other categories. 1 game better or worse in the W-L column...... but none of them are in any real danger of getting benched but Schaub. & that's because of something he really has no control over. That second INT towards Andre in the SF game, could've been a pick 6, wasn't because of what Andre did, not what Schaub did. The one Eric Reed dropped... Schaub didn't do anything different, but that should have been a pick 6.

You been spending way too much time with this cat.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/508_towelie_zps845aee96.gif

Txn_in_Oki
10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I think Kubiak knows that he can game plan Tj/Case to victory, just like he can coach Matt Schaub to victory.

Is there some point during the season where he will finally find this winning game plan you speak of?

I swear, sometimes I think you just throw this stuff out there so you can be the one that says "SEE, I TOLD YOU SO" when this blind squirrel finally finds a nut.

Schaub isn't going anywhere until Kubiak is gone.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Is there some point during the season where he will finally find this winning game plan you speak of?

I swear, sometimes I think you just throw this stuff out there so you can be the one that says "SEE, I TOLD YOU SO" when this blind squirrel finally finds a nut.

Schaub isn't going anywhere until Kubiak is gone.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Yates earned points by not folding after his pick 6. If you read the rest of that post you quoted, things like that are what I believe scares Kubiak the most about switchint QBs.

HoustonFrog
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
My opinion

Kubes sucks. I've thought this for years and continued even in the playoff years. His ascending was due to Wade, not anything he did different.

Schaub is a good guy but he is descending. Weak arm, folds under pressure and is a mental case.

Window closing

hradhak
10-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, Kubiak may not have the tough decision this week since Schaub may be unable to go in KC.

I think Yates with a week of prep won't be all that much better than what we saw today. I really don't think Yates has that much more upside. I maybe completely wrong, but I'd like to see Keenum at least get some first team reps. If Yates struggles I think you need to look at Keenum early.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Back in the preseason when we had our back-up QB "competition" I said if I were the HC I would make my decision based on how well both guys ran the play they were given. If there was two plays to be made, but the QB decided to tuck it & run, he would get no points for the play regardless what the outcome of the play was. (Now if there wasn't a play to be made & he tucked, ran, & made a positive play he would get points.)

Watching the games on TV it's difficult to tell because the camera usually follows the ball & you can't see if there was a play to be made or not. All you see is the QB getting out of the pocket & making a play. With that said, I don't believe any of us have a good idea how far along either QB is into the playbook. However, since Keenum did not leapfrog Yates I believe it is safe to say if he is further into the playbook than Yates, it's marginal.

This was the first game I was able to make it to, even though I am a season ticket holder, many times work & family make it difficult to make all the games (priorities right?). What I saw today verified what I feared over the last 5 weeks. There are plays to be made downfield, but for one reason or another Schaub isn't making them.

Hopkins is really doing a great job getting open downfield & what little I saw of Martin... it's enough to make you sick. I know a lot of people have been blaming the play calling & the "antiquated" scheme..... but I believe Kubiak is every bit the guru he used to be.

Here is a screenshot I was able to capture, that shows we should have had a TD on our possession after the Hopkins fumble.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/Thunderkyss/20131013_205251_zps1060c627.jpg

At that point in the frame you can see that the pocket is tight & Schaub is probably "feeling" that pressure on his back right. But if you look at Hopkins crossing the goal line, that ball should have already been out & in Hopkins' hands at that point in the frame.

You can see Andre at the bottom of the endzone with three guys around him. He's just making his break & would have been a possible throw as well if Schaub didn't bail.

This is David Carr syndrome.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Schaub does a good job getting out of the pocket, looking as athletic as he ever has. Whatever he may be suffering from his Lisfranc did not stop him from making the throw from the pocket & it did not stop him from getting out of the pocket.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/Thunderkyss/20131013_211931_zps9839b11e.jpg

Biggest problem here is that he never looks at anyone but Keyshawn in the corner of the endzone. He eventually throws the ball short of Martins position & to the outside. Martin has to come out of the endzone & tap his toes to down the ball inside the 1 (can't believe we didn't go for it). Matt should have thrown the ball inside allowing Martin to stay in the end zone & separate from the CB behind him. Even if he had to throw it short of the goal line, Martin would have been able to make a play & have a chance of falling back into the end zone.

Another alternative, As Schaub approaches the LoS, the defenders around Graham believe him to be more of a threat than Graham. They leave Garrett & converge on Matt. If he had his senses, he could have got the ball to Graham giving him an opportunity to make a play.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Like I said earlier, there were plays to be made left on the field. For whatever reason, Schaub isn't pulling the trigger. Against SF Collinsworth said accuracy has to be Matt's thing. While it does have to be one of his "things" efficiently executing the play book has to be Matt's thing. That is the primary reason he should hold on to the starting position.

If he can't do that, if he's not accurate, if he can't take care of the ball... I can't think of what he brings to the table that Tj & Case can not.

Rey
10-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Like I said earlier, there were plays to be made left on the field. For whatever reason, Schaub isn't pulling the trigger. Against SF Collinsworth said accuracy has to be Matt's thing. While it does have to be one of his "things" efficiently executing the play book has to be Matt's thing. That is the primary reason he should hold on to the starting position.

If he can't do that, if he's not accurate, if he can't take care of the ball... I can't think of what he brings to the table that Tj & Case can not.

How many wr's in tight coverage did Matt hit today?

Seems like the only guys he threw to were short routes and guys that were wide open in the rams horrid zone defense. He's not looking to make those throws because he's not good enough.

I don't get the beating round the bush. I don't care why he can't do it...weak arm, tender foot, unathletic, shell shocked, 'cuffed....who cares.

He's never been a guy that throws well into good coverage with any kind if consistency. But this year when teams are gunning for us and have an ounce of talent and good coaching we struggle mightily.

These are the same problems that people have been complaining about for years, but now since we are a targeted team playing even a somewhat tough schedule we're exposed. Can't hide those warts behind shiny stats forever.

Vinny
10-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Seems like the only guys he threw to were short routes and guys that were wide open in the rams horrid zone defense. He's not looking to make those throws because he's not good enough.

I don't get the beating round the bush. I don't care why he can't do it...weak arm, tender foot, unathletic, shell shocked, 'cuffed....who cares.

This offense didn't even challenge the back end of the Rams secondary. A secondary full of young, inexperienced players missing their best cornerback, or at least their veteran cb if you think Jenkins is a better player than punchdrunk. No back shoulder toss..no deep ball. Just underneath David Carr specials.

Rey
10-14-2013, 12:01 AM
This offense didn't even challenge the back end of the Rams secondary. A secondary full of young, inexperienced players missing their best cornerback, or at least their veteran cb if you think Jenkins is a better player than punchdrunk. No back shoulder toss..no deep ball. Just underneath David Carr specials.

Yep.

I was surprised that we didn't at least throw one up deep to Dre or Hopkins just to loosen the rams up some....let them know we're going to challenge them.

Who knows...maybe me might actually catch it or get a PI.

Guess that's to wild for us.

Vance87
10-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Yep.

I was surprised that we didn't at least throw one up deep to Dre or Hopkins just to loosen the rams up some....let them know we're going to challenge them.

Who knows...maybe me might actually catch it or get a PI.

Guess that's to wild for us.

We would of, if, you know, Schaub could still throw it that far.

chicagotexan2
10-14-2013, 01:18 AM

He's never been a guy that throws well into good coverage with any kind if consistency. But this year when teams are gunning for us and have an ounce of talent and good coaching we struggle mightily.

These are the same problems that people have been complaining about for years, but now since we are a targeted team playing even a somewhat tough schedule we're exposed. Can't hide those warts behind shiny stats forever.

I only remember a few times he hit Andre in stride. He dirsnt throw those types of passes enough or Kubiak doesn't let his other receivers run those types of routes. Either way it didn't matter after being down early because this is not the Matt Schaub of week one that could bring back a team from a deficit. The team is saddled with a QB that is being protected by a system that tries not to expose his deficiencies thus killing any come from behind attack.

chicagotexan2
10-14-2013, 01:22 AM

Even if they are incomplete at least you could get a helpful pass interference penalty. I miss the good old days where Schaub would throw the ball deep down the field as far as he could and a wide open streaking Andre Johnson would stop and wait two seconds for the ball to catch up to him for 40 yard completion.

dream_team
10-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Stop shooting the messenger. If you want more deep balls, more vertical routes, then beg for a new coach. Going deep and taking chances isn't our offensive philosophy, unless it's off a PA bootleg. Schaub is just playing the offense as it was designed. That should have been obvious when Yates came in and basically did the same thing.

chicagotexan2
10-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Stop shooting the messenger. If you want more deep balls, more vertical routes, then beg for a new coach. Going deep and taking chances isn't our offensive philosophy, unless it's off a PA bootleg. Schaub is just playing the offense as it was designed. That should have been obvious when Yates came in and basically did the same thing.

The backup messenger is as inept as his predecessor in delivering the package as his was also intercepted With a stamp 'return to sender'