PDA

View Full Version : What if we we're 0-5?

Texan in Japan
10-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I started wondering last night after the game how we've lost three straight. Then I began thinking we barely survived SD and TEN. What if we had lost those games also and were 0-5 like the Jags? Damn, we're really not very good. Why is that? Of course Schaub has been terrible and our kicker has been sub-par. However, our defense is pretty good, except we're way down in creating turnovers. Our running game has been above average and our punter is outstanding. So we have decent talent and we should have beat SEA, so is it coaching/schemes, environment, etc.?

I've never been a Kubiak groupie, but I thought he's come off his ultra conservative mentality this year (fake punt, 4th down attempts, etc.) and maybe he was finally making strides. However, his offensive game plan is not working with Schaub.

Kubiak is evaluating every position, coach, etc. He needs to take a step back and make some changes, maybe it's time he gave up play calling duties. We need a spark and he needs to find what that is and do it quick to salvage this season. Damn, 0-5, I guess it could always be worse.

HJam72
10-07-2013, 05:14 PM
No team is very good with a QB throwing pick-6's all over the place. This team is fine with a better QB and better special teams coverage. The QB alone is 95% of the problem right now.

I know that other parts of the team didn't look great against SF, but there's reasons for that. Nobody's going to (in most cases) have every part of their team look good against SF--you need good QB play to beat them. Also, I read somewhere that our D only really gave up like 16 points to the SF offense--this kind of thing is typical how the final score, with the offense giving up points, makes the D look like it ALSO performed badly, or at least worse than it actually did.

We don't have a bad team at all; we have a bad QB (who was decent before some past injuries) and a bad ST coach.

Textan
10-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Matt's first pass of the game set the tone for the rest of the game.
Of course the players will say they believe in him, we're brothers til the end, yada yada.
That first pass deflated the whole team.
MS is a decent QB. He's always been a stats man. Most of us know stats don't mean chit.
He needs to stop licking his fingers, too, just a weird, nervous, and unsanitary habit, which doesn't help his accuracy or throwing strength whatsoever.

kingtexan
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
At this point it wouldn't matter, 0-5 or 2-3 with this QB has the same ending to the story.

MEGA SWATT
10-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I said in the game thread that the Texans are the Joke of the AFC, not the Jags.................I was told it was a major overreaction..........ok.

DocBar
10-07-2013, 11:36 PM
On the bright side, Matty Pick 6 is one game better than Matty Ice. SMFH

VTexan
10-07-2013, 11:43 PM
problems other than schaub:

PENALTIES. geez, hold the talk about back breaking pick 6's for a second and talk about the back breaking penalties we have seen every game.

SPECIAL TEAMS. yall already know the problems here...

PLAY DESIGN. what's up with all these routes that are short of the first down when we are on 3rd down. it seems every 3rd down play we have is a route shorter than the actual yardage we need.

TIME MANAGEMENT. the game against seattle we had forced seattle to punt the ball with less than 2:00 before the half. we elected not to use one of our 3 time outs (WHY??????) and seattle let the clock milk until aroun 1:30 when we got the ball back. then we ran the first play using more clock (i cant remember but i think it was a good run forcing kubiak to actually drive down the field to get more points) we ended up trying to go down the field and looked good. but in the end, those 30 seconds we let burn made us settle for a field goal.

just some thoughts. the obvious problem is kubiak but that's been beaten to death.

Texan in Japan
10-08-2013, 12:21 AM

PENALTIES. geez, hold the talk about back breaking pick 6's for a second and talk about the back breaking penalties we have seen every game.

I'd forgot about this, we're going nuts with penalties...clearly a lack of discipline. Great points VT!

DocBar
10-08-2013, 12:25 AM

SPECIAL TEAMS. yall already know the problems here...

PLAY DESIGN. what's up with all these routes that are before the first down when we are on 3rd down. it seems every 3rd down play we have is a route shorter than the actual yardage we need.

TIME MANAGEMENT. the game against seattle we had forced seattle to punt the ball with less than 2:00 before the half. we elected not to use one of our 3 time outs (WHY??????) and seattle let the clock milk until aroun 1:30 when we got the back. then we ran the first play using more clock (i cant remember but i think it was a good run forcing kubiak to actually drive down the field to get more points) we ended up trying to go down the field and looked good. but in the end, those 30 seconds we let burn made us settle for a field goal.

just some thoughts. the obvious problem is kubiak but that's been beaten to death.

Penalties have been up and down with Kubes. We've been good, we've been bad.

Marciano has absolutely got to go. Period, end of statement.

Play design and time management can go hand in hand. Kubiak has struggled with clock management from year one. His play calling is the main cause for those troubles. I like the overall offensive system but Kubiak needs to get a better OC (Kyle Shanahan anyone?) and butt out.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Damn, we're really not very good. Why is that?

Pictures are worth so many words ...

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1097049147/KubesAvatar.jpg & http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/matt-schaub-8-nfl.jpg

mike moffat
10-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Pictures are worth so many words ...

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1097049147/KubesAvatar.jpg & http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/matt-schaub-8-nfl.jpg

Dumb and I don't have a clue.

Vance87
10-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Dumb and I don't have a clue.

Which one is which?

Norg
10-08-2013, 02:46 AM
well if we were 0-5 we would be in dat running for da #1 PICK LOL

Dread-Head
10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
(singing) "If we had a million dollars....We'd be rich."

Playoffs