PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Gregg Rosenthal: Kubiak Leaves Door Open for QB Change

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 04:11 PM
"He is, but I'm evaluating everything to see what gives us best chance to win," Kubiak said via the Houston Chronicle. "I'm trying to help him (Schaub) push him through it so our team can push through it. We're all disappointed because we're having to overcome too much."

The Texans have lost three straight games and Schaub was replaced in the fourth quarter against San Francisco by T.J. Yates. Kubiak has chosen not to specifically declare Schaub the starting quarterback for Sunday's game against St. Louis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258612/article/gary-kubiak-leaves-door-open-for-quarterback-change

John McClain tweeted today:
After listening to Kubiak's news conference, it's clear that he's still considering a change at QB without saying so.

Texn4life
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Kubiak would be a fool to hitch up to Schaub and go down sinking with him. I just don't think starting Yates would be any better though.

michaelm
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Rosenthal's opinion is apparently based on this:

McClain has covered the Texans since their inception. No beat writer has a better handle on the team they cover and we trust his interpretation here completely.

Best take this story with a huge grain of salt.

WolverineFan
10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Kubiak would be a fool to hitch up to Schaub and go down sinking with him. I just don't think starting Yates would be any better though.

How so? Talent wise the two are similar. The issue is Schaub keeps turning the ball over and making horrible decisions. If T.J. can come in and run the offense and not do that then what's the problem?

TexansSeminole
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM
How so? Talent wise the two are similar. The issue is Schaub keeps turning the ball over and making horrible decisions. If T.J. can come in and run the offense and not do that then what's the problem?

I think people are just ready for a game changer at quarterback, not a game manager. Keenum seems to have the best opportunity to be a game changer, but Yates is probably best from a game management standpoint. Schaub is best if we want to keep giving games away to our opponents.

WolverineFan
10-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I think people are just ready for a game changer at quarterback, not a game manager. Keenum seems to have the best opportunity to be a game changer, but Yates is probably best from a game management standpoint. Schaub is best if we want to keep giving games away to our opponents.

I agree. My problem is the guy's who are automatically dismissing Yates, but propping up Keenum as the next Brady. There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests Keenum is a better option.

Texn4life
10-07-2013, 04:25 PM

I've never been a Yates fan starting when he was at Carolina. Saw him a bunch of times there and was never impressed. He just doesn't do it for me.

CretorFrigg
10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
There should be a rule on this message board that requires UH fans to declare their allegiance publicly so we are cognizant of any biases towards Case Keenum. :)

bOODRO87
10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
No UH fan here, but I think Keenum deserves at least a half of a game. How could you see the throws he made and not at least be curious?

welsh texan
10-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Schaub is a known quantity
Yates is a partially known quantity
Keenum is an unknown quantity.

If you want <7 points a game, Schaubs the man at this point, add the pick 6's and you're crying.

Yates was ok as a rushed starter with no tape on him 2 years ago. Teams have his number at this point and he could probably game manage, but we know we aren't likely to get great performances out of him if we're honest.

Keenum, we don't know what we've got, the guy is an unknown quantity for opposition Ds too, which will give him a honeymoon period as far as game planning against him goes so long as he is capable of adequately running the set plays he's given, 18 months in and he should know the system by now and we know he's the more athletic.

It's a catch 22 with a wildcard that might work out at a gamble, anyone here think wrestling an 8-8 or worse would be a good outcome for the season? It looks like the best outcome given out QB situation right now.

Take the gamble, if Keenum comes up roses then great, if not I'd much rather we get a really nice pick for the QB we need than come to some sort of false respectability in our record.

This season won't be happy viewing anyway IMHO, might as well suck for someone similar to luck if we don't have the answer on the roster.

I'd love us to cut Schaub right away and absorb some of the cap hit this season if possible, then spend the saving of having rookie contract QBs on resigning the plethora of young talent we have coming up to major contracts and grow as a team going forward.

We can put a young QB in a fantastic position to succeed here, that oline ain't gonna be crap for too long either, the talent is raw but real.

Thorn
10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Screw it. Just put in Keenum if for no other reason than to shut us Case Keenum koolaid drinkers up. If we lose, what's the difference?

Speedy
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I agree. My problem is the guy's who are automatically dismissing Yates, but propping up Keenum as the next Brady. There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests Keenum is a better option.

Please get off of this stuff. NOBODY is claiming Case is the next Brady. And if they are they're damn fools.

And to all those bringing up the experience factor when talking about Yates over Case, that doesn't work either. How much experience did Russell Wilson have over Matt Flynn last season? Kaepernick and Smith?

The best chance for the Texans to win, to reach the playoffs again, is with Matt Schaub. If/when the Texans bench Schaub in favor of either Case or TJ, this 2013 season is done. You can deny that all you want, doesn't matter if you're in TJs camp or Case's, the season is done if Schaub isn't under center.

UNLESS.......

the Texans make the switch now and go with Case and he somehow pulls out some Kaepernick magic. Highly unlikely, but a better possibility than thinking TJ will do it. We've seen Yates. He doesn't have it. He ended the pre-season in a photo finish with Case, even with all his "experience". You think defenders are sitting on the short stuff with Schaub, wait 'til Yates gets in there with his 4.5 Y/A.

But to make a change now means you're pretty much giving up on the season.

I don't know what has happened to Schaub but he has been a different player ever since he got kicked in the junk last Thanksgiving. But if he is not under center and unless he starts playing like he did before Thanksgiving, the Texans miss the playoffs this season no matter who is under center.

Showtime100
10-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Kubiak isn't thinking QB change at all, I don't believe. Unless he had TJ in there last night to evaluate his handoff abilities.

False Start
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Or, a drip of pancake syrup.

Vinny
10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Who's gonna tell Rosenthal the truth?

kingtexan
10-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Please get off of this stuff. NOBODY is claiming Case is the next Brady. And if they are they're damn fools.

Could be the next Brees though ...

Carr Bombed
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
There should be a rule on this message board that requires UH fans to declare their allegiance publicly so we are cognizant of any biases towards Case Keenum. :)

Why does everyone who is pro Keenum have to be a "UofH fan"? I am not a UofH fan and only watched a handful of his college games and I think he is the best option to replace Schaub if we decide to sit him down.

Hookem Horns
10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
"He is, but I'm evaluating everything to see what gives us best chance to win," Kubiak said via the Houston Chronicle

If I am the Chronicle interviewer ...

"So Gary, does that mean you are considering resigning as head coach?"

BTW, I am pro-Keenum at this point and I am not a UH fan. I think we know what we have with both Slaub and TJ. Since the season is going into the toilet might as well see what Keenum is going to bring.

gafftop
10-07-2013, 06:09 PM

And to all those bringing up the experience factor when talking about Yates over Case, that doesn't work either. How much experience did Russell Wilson have over Matt Flynn last season? Kaepernick and Smith?

The best chance for the Texans to win, to reach the playoffs again, is with Matt Schaub. If/when the Texans bench Schaub in favor of either Case or TJ, this 2013 season is done. You can deny that all you want, doesn't matter if you're in TJs camp or Case's, the season is done if Schaub isn't under center.

UNLESS.......

the Texans make the switch now and go with Case and he somehow pulls out some Kaepernick magic. Highly unlikely, but a better possibility than thinking TJ will do it. We've seen Yates. He doesn't have it. He ended the pre-season in a photo finish with Case, even with all his "experience". You think defenders are sitting on the short stuff with Schaub, wait 'til Yates gets in there with his 4.5 Y/A.

But to make a change now means you're pretty much giving up on the season.
I don't know what has happened to Schaub but he has been a different player ever since he got kicked in the junk last Thanksgiving. But if he is not under center and unless he starts playing like he did before Thanksgiving, the Texans miss the playoffs this season no matter who is under center.

If a change is made it means you have given up on MS. I have given up on MS.
Have you?

Vinny
10-07-2013, 06:11 PM
If a change is made it means you have given up on MS. I have given up on MS.
Have you? If Kubiak were coaching the Patriots, Bledsoe would still be the quarterback.

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
If I am the Chronicle interviewer ...

"So Gary, does that mean you are considering resigning as head coach?"

BTW, I am pro-Keenum at this point and I am not a UH fan. I think we know what we have with both Slaub and TJ. Since the season is going into the toilet might as well see what Keenum is going to bring.

I don't think we really and truly do know TJ. If TJ is static as hell and has not changed since 2011, it will show and Case should get the start. However, I find it hard to believe he has been static. Taking nothing away from Case, but TJ should get the start, because people writing him off like we've seen all we're ever going to from him is a conclusion I don't want to jump to.

kingtexan
10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
If Kubiak were coaching the Patriots, Flutie would still be the quarterback.

fify

thunderkyss
10-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Why does everyone who is pro Keenum have to be a "UofH fan"? I am not a UofH fan and only watched a handful of his college games and I think he is the best option to replace Schaub if we decide to sit him down.

I actually like Tj Yates. I'm not a UH fan.

I think Keenum has more of "it" than either Yates or Schaub.

drs23
10-07-2013, 06:17 PM

There is absolutely no room for rational thought processes on this topic. What, are you trying to get banned? :kitten:

:D

kingtexan
10-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I think Keenum has more of "it" than either Yates or Schaub.

I think it could be like the unknown Favre coming in to replace Majkowski.

Case strikes me as having that same passion for the game, and dude put up crazy numbers in college, not that it has to translate, but kid showed he could sling the rock.

Give him a chance.

cuppacoffee
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Screw it. Just put in Keenum if for no other reason than to shut us Case Keenum koolaid drinkers up. If we lose, what's the difference?

Sooooo similar to the VY period.

:coffee:

False Start
10-07-2013, 06:25 PM
If Kubiak were coaching the Patriots, Bledsoe would still be the quarterback.

He would have brought in Jeff George to challenge Brady for the backup spot.

Rey
10-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Case has swagg. TJ has a little swagg. Schaub has 0 swag.

That's how I evaluate them. LoL.

Uncle Rico
10-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know what's more uncomfortable, our QB situation, or a grown ass man using the word 'swag' to evaluate our QB situation! Lol no harm intended 'king' just struck me like an assessment my 16 yr old daughter would give me. :smile:

kingtexan
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
edit

markn
10-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Not a UHer, but I believe we should go with Keenum. "Schaub gives us the best chance of winning" - in principle I agree with this statement, and it's all about "chance" or probablility, and even though MS is the most likely to win, here's the reasoning behind CK getting a shot.

1. Medium term, Schaub is not the answer. TJ is not the answer.
2. Playing Keenum can work out one of three ways
A. He is amazing: super bowl baby! (1%)
B. He's about the same or maybe a little worse than the game-managing Schaub (90%)
C. He's garbage and we tank (9%)

3. Scenario B is essentially where we have been for the last 3 years. Maybe play-off quality, but not a real threat. I think we're all getting a little tired of this. Scenario A is wildly optimistic, highly unlikely, but hey the outcome is great. Scenario C is more intriguing, because we learn he's not the answer and can close that door, and as a side-effect, we end up with a better draft pick where we can hopefully find our QB of the future.

What's to lose?

Rey
10-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't know what's more uncomfortable, our QB situation, or a grown ass man using the word 'swag' to evaluate our QB situation! Lol no harm intended 'king' just struck me like an assessment my 16 yr old daughter would give me. :smile:

I'm still in my 20's.

Swagg is off limits at 30.

:tease:

Vance87
10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm still in my 20's.

Dude for some reason I thought you were in your 50s. LOL

htownfan32
10-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I didn't use the word swag, not in my repertoire ...

I think it was a reference to the fact that Rey's name in Spanish means King.

drs23
10-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Dude for some reason I thought you were in your 50s. LOL

And...:foottap:

DocBar
10-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm still wondering how so many of y'all can say, with a straight face, that we've seen what TJ is because of some games he played as a rookie. I was a huuuuge Keenum supporter (Aggie fan here, not UH) in preseason but I would go with Yates next week. Give him the full game plan and all the starters reps with Keenum getting the backup reps. I would also keep Schaub active in case Yates goes all Schaub, injury-wise and Keenum goes all Leinart, also injury-wise.

Yates looked excellent in PS. It looked to me like the game has slowed down for him and he would be able to handle pressure better. The biggest problem I see with all of this would be Kubiak not having full faith in him and Yates playing scared because he's on a short leash. If Kubiak makes a change at QB, it needs to be permanent.

That would also help evaluate the position for next season. We'll be lucky to sneak in as a wild card at this point, so why not go all in and make the change now? Maybe the team will rally around some fresh blood at the position.

drs23
10-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm still wondering how so many of y'all can say, with a straight face, that we've seen what TJ is because of some games he played as a rookie. I was a huuuuge Keenum supporter (Aggie fan here, not UH) in preseason but I would go with Yates next week. Give him the full game plan and all the starters reps with Keenum getting the backup reps. I would also keep Schaub active in case Yates goes all Schaub, injury-wise and Keenum goes all Leinart, also injury-wise.

Yates looked excellent in PS. It looked to me like the game has slowed down for him and he would be able to handle pressure better. The biggest problem I see with all of this would be Kubiak not having full faith in him and Yates playing scared because he's on a short leash. If Kubiak makes a change at QB, it needs to be permanent.

That would also help evaluate the position for next season. We'll be lucky to sneak in as a wild card at this point, so why not go all in and make the change now? Maybe the team will rally around some fresh blood at the position.

I'm in. Gopher it Gary!

burro
10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Schaub is a known quantity
Yates is a partially known quantity
Keenum is an unknown quantity.

If you want <7 points a game, Schaubs the man at this point, add the pick 6's and you're crying.

Yates was ok as a rushed starter with no tape on him 2 years ago. Teams have his number at this point and he could probably game manage, but we know we aren't likely to get great performances out of him if we're honest.

Keenum, we don't know what we've got, the guy is an unknown quantity for opposition Ds too, which will give him a honeymoon period as far as game planning against him goes so long as he is capable of adequately running the set plays he's given, 18 months in and he should know the system by now and we know he's the more athletic.

It's a catch 22 with a wildcard that might work out at a gamble, anyone here think wrestling an 8-8 or worse would be a good outcome for the season? It looks like the best outcome given out QB situation right now.

Take the gamble, if Keenum comes up roses then great, if not I'd much rather we get a really nice pick for the QB we need than come to some sort of false respectability in our record.

This season won't be happy viewing anyway IMHO, might as well suck for someone similar to luck if we don't have the answer on the roster.

I'd love us to cut Schaub right away and absorb some of the cap hit this season if possible, then spend the saving of having rookie contract QBs on resigning the plethora of young talent we have coming up to major contracts and grow as a team going forward.

We can put a young QB in a fantastic position to succeed here, that oline ain't gonna be crap for too long either, the talent is raw but real.

MSR.

These are my thoughts exactly. Schaub can't go on like this, he's mentally damaged and probably irreparable as far as his career in Houston goes (I suspect he'll be starting for another team next year, for better or worse). Starting Schaub any further is the ultimate captain going down with the ship move and none of this matters - because it means that Gary has given up on keeping his job.

Moving forward - there's no upside to starting Yates. Opponents' game-planning for TJ would be identical to their game-planning for Schaub, with no guarantee that the execution would be any better.

There is no FA worthy of discussion (VY? :lol:).

That leaves only Keenum, who FWIW holds NCAA records in almost every relevant passing category and plays a style of football radically different from anything the Texans have put on the field. The worst that could happen is that Kubiak forces him into Matt's old role and refuses to adjust the offense to the new skill set that Keenum brings. Which is exactly what would happen if he ever saw the field.

Uncle Rico
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm still in my 20's.

Lol, ok got it.
For those with 'king' in their names who freaked out when I used the word king, well Rey = King in spanish, so ummm yeahhh.

Texan in Japan
10-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Agree! I'm a UofH grad, but I just believe Keenum has "it" and Schaub/Yates don't. Case flashed "it" many times during the preseason. What do we have to lose--Schaub's feelings? Yates current back-up rank? More games?

SAMURAITEXAN
10-07-2013, 07:58 PM
The way Matt has been playing lately, our O has no chance of playing how we supposed to play which is eating up clock and giving opponent pressure to play catch up game. With early pic 6s by Matt has been killing our game plan and I don't know what is happening to him but, this issue has to be addressed. It is very difficult decision to let backup QBs to play in a regular season game but, we need to find out what we have in backup QBs. I do not wish the Texans to throw away season at all. However, there's issue needs to be fixed and I think at least we should give backups a chance to prove and see how it turns out. Perhaps, let them play a half game each to see how they perform.

fiasco west
10-07-2013, 08:00 PM
If it does happen (I doubt it.) He's not going to just come out and say it.

I'm for Case Keenum, no ties to UH but he seemed to go through his reads pretty quickly and threw to whoever he saw open (unlike say...locking onto Andre for all of the game) and that usually makes a good QB in this league. Doesn't matter if he's drafted, undrafted, whatever.

Also from what I've read, the guy is driven and gutsy...

HoustonFrog
10-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Sorry if I skipped someone saying this but when Yates was QB the O seemed more focused around Foster...and now Tate...which is the way it should be. At 21-3 yesterday Foster was still getting 5 yards a pop but they wanted Schaub to throw. Maybe running the ball and a game manager is what puts things on the right track. Just throwing that out.

Mr. White
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Who's gonna tell Rosenthal the truth?

I guess I'll take a stab at it. I can't believe this thread has gone on this long.

There is absolutely no history to expect for Kubiak to make an in-season change. David Carr took a seat for less than half a game vs the Titans in 2006. Richard Smith gave up record stats in his first season and still managed to stay on another season. Kris Brown went Brad Lidge and was able to get another season afterwards. Frank Bush wasn't that long ago and we all know how that went.

Kubiak sticks with his guys...sink or swim.

Showtime100
10-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Since when do we have to say whether or not we are fan of the school where a player comes from to validate our opinion of the player? It seems only UH fans need to state such credentials before giving an opinion.

I've never liked Kubiak and wish him fired and I am no fan of St. Pius HS or A&M. :foottap:

I want Matt Schaub out and I'm not a fan of U of Virginia. :D

Thank you,
Showtime100
Texans fan
:fans:

steelbtexan
10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Schaub=Lidge

Maybe

Keenum = Dotel.

EVOLVIST
10-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Yes, but how big does that "grain" have to be before it turns into just another salt lick for doe-eyed masses?

Texecutioner
10-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Not one person on this site has ever suggested that, but hey you are free to lie about it any way. Just don't get angry when you are called on it and are being written off as a troll.

Unless you can cite a post where someone even one person is suggesting that Keenum is the next Tom Brady.

amazing80
10-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Not one person on this site has ever suggested that, but hey you are free to lie about it any way. Just don't get angry when you are called on it and are being written off as a troll.

Unless you can cite a post where someone even one person is suggesting that Keenum is the next Tom Brady.

Maybe him saying they think case is brady is a slight exaggeration but hes right about most people on here dimissing yates and assuming case will be better. Yates eserves his shot first. Hes earned it.

Hookem Horns
10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Since when do we have to say whether or not we are fan of the school where a player comes from to validate our opinion of the player? It seems only UH fans need to state such credentials before giving an opinion.

I've never liked Kubiak and wish him fired and I am no fan of St. Pius HS or A&M. :foottap:

I want Matt Schaub out and I'm not a fan of U of Virginia. :D

Thank you,
Showtime100
Texans fan
:fans:

Umm, I had to change my username during the 2006 draft just to have my opinion taken seriously. That was that I wanted no part of Reggie Bush because I thought he was going to be a bust. So cry me a river.

Doppelganger
10-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I think Schaub has 2 weeks to save his job. This week Schaub will get the chance at home against St. Louis and then against KC on the road.

Even if Schaub stinks up the joint, I doubt Kubes will make TJ the starter on the road in Arrowhead Stadium, one of the toughest venues in the league against a vicious Chiefs D. Instead I think if Schaub stinks it up against St Louis and KC, Kubes will make TJ the starter and use the 2 week time frame (bye _ regular week) to get him ready for the rest of the year.

Showtime100
10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Umm, I had to change my username during the 2006 draft just to have my opinion taken seriously. That was that I wanted no part of Reggie Bush because I thought he was going to be a bust. So cry me a river.

Has zilch to do with my simple observation.

DocBar
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I think Schaub has 2 weeks to save his job. This week Schaub will get the chance at home against St. Louis and then against KC on the road.

Even if Schaub stinks up the joint, I doubt Kubes will make TJ the starter on the road in Arrowhead Stadium, one of the toughest venues in the league against a vicious Chiefs D. Instead I think if Schaub stinks it up against St Louis and KC, Kubes will make TJ the starter and use the 2 week time frame (bye _ regular week) to get him ready for the rest of the year.This week would be the ideal time with the Rams coming to town. Let your new QB play a not very good team at home to get his feet wet. The Chiefs and Dolts have pretty dang good D's.

Hookem Horns
10-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Has zilch to do with my simple observation.

That your opinion is validated (or not valid) depending on yours and the player's school affiliation?

Did I not understand your point?

jaayteetx
10-07-2013, 09:51 PM
See sig.

DX-TEX
10-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Kubiak also said today that there are no plans to give Yates or Keenum any more reps this week than usual. He aint doing ****.

Kubiak is completely lost at this point. Listen to him speak he has no clue.

MEGA SWATT
10-07-2013, 11:04 PM

There is no evidence to suggest that he is not a better option.

TJ Yates is slightly more mobile than MS, but he still sails balls high and is pick prone.

Why not put Keenum in there to see if he has "it"?

DocBar
10-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Kubiak also said today that there are no plans to give Yates or Keenum any more reps this week than usual. He aint doing ****.

Kubiak is completely lost at this point. Listen to him speak he has no clue.Then he is committing Texans career suicide. All we can hope for is that he's lulling the "ever so dangerous" Rams to sleep. That entire secondary is going to sleep all week counting picks. The shazaam!!!! Someone other than Schaub is starting under center and got all the 1st team reps. :kubepalm:

DX-TEX
10-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Then he is committing Texans career suicide. All we can hope for is that he's lulling the "ever so dangerous" Rams to sleep. That entire secondary is going to sleep all week counting picks. The shazaam!!!! Someone other than Schaub is starting under center and got all the 1st team reps. :kubepalm:

We are in a bad situation as fans. If Schuab somehow comes through this and strings together some not so spectacular games everything will be "right" again on Kirby. We will stumble into the playoffs and we can repeat the cycle again next year.

I don't want to wish bad mojo on my team I have such a passion for but no change will happen unless it gets worse IMO

DocBar
10-08-2013, 12:17 AM
We are in a bad situation as fans. If Schuab somehow comes through this and strings together some not so spectacular games everything will be "right" again on Kirby. We will stumble into the playoffs and we can repeat the cycle again next year.

I don't want to wish bad mojo on my team I have such a passion for but no change will happen unless it gets worse IMOIMO, McNair's eyes are wide open on this. It's AFCCG or bust for this team. At a minimum, home field advantage and a close, bitter loss in the divisional round. Anything less could well cost Kubiak his job. If he want's to fall on his sword for Schaub, eff him. I just hate the major upset coaching changes cause. I was an Oiler's fan for 25 years or so. Most of the 70's and 80's just plain sucked. A lot of that was due to an owner that sucked and changed coaches way too often.

Texn4life
10-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Kubiak is an idiot. I also found it funny how Schaub pretty much tried to deflect responsibility today. The whole situation is almost funny to me at this point. I wish I believed in Yates, but he is what he is I believe. He's a very average QB and a quality backup in my opinion. I talked about how I didn't see Keenum as an NFL QB coming out of college, but at least these guys threaten throwing the ball down the field. This offense is just really stale right now.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Kubiak lost me the year he should have been fired when he admitted "I don't know" on his show when asked what he thought he could do to "fix it". At that point I think he knew he was going to be fired and had just given up.

Of course as we all know McNair being McNair didn't fire Kubiak and instead brought in Wade to "fix the problem".

Kubiak had already proven he is not a good head coach at that point and it's now clear the 2 good coordinators but bad head coach experiment didn't work.

I will always be grateful to Bob McNair for doing what he did to bring back the NFL to the good people of Houston, however IMHO the problem starts with him. His is too nice and loyal to his own detriment. It's also the culture of his club. We saw it the David Carr, Kubiak himself and Schaub will probably be around way too long.

Ironically I now live near Tampa and am seeing the opposite extreme with Schiano. Screw up? To the bench. Whine about it? You're traded or released. Neither extreme is good and both teams need to clean house. The sad thing is both teams have a lot of talent.

Trap_Star
10-08-2013, 01:24 AM
well, mcnair is still looking at the "ox in the ditch"....and still doesn't know any way of getting it out.

Malloy
10-08-2013, 01:34 AM
And...:foottap:

Content-wise it means nothing, but we do tend to use a larger font ;)

Norg
10-08-2013, 02:49 AM
thre is like a 100% chance Matt is starting

But if he stinks it up bye half time IDK

I just got that feeling tho with this much pressure and JOB and prob starting career on the line MAtt is going to TORCH the rams D and throw up like 3 TD bye half time

EllisUnit
10-08-2013, 06:53 AM
I love my team, and i have never wished a loss EVER, but with that said i hope the Rams come in and destroy us. I am so sick of Kubiak letting Schaub get away with team murder its making me sick.

Does Kubiak not realize how damn stupid and incompitent he looks as a coach/manager of this team.

I want to see Schaub get picked off 10 damn times, and they score 50 points on us, then MAYBE then Mcnair would be forced to step in, our even if we get blown out it might not change a thing.

"Its on me, i didnt have the team prepared to play, I'm more worried about the D and ST than the offense" blah blah blah

Shut your pie hole and make a damn QB change already !

htowntexans1985
10-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Schaub is probably going to come out and torche the rams than proceed to get picked off 4 times by the chiefs defense the following week. He does just enough to justify kubiak keeping him. But when the lights shine brighter, he shrivels like a raisin.

Surreal McCoy
10-08-2013, 07:17 AM
... i have never wished a loss EVER, but with that said i hope the Rams come in and destroy us.

Sums up Houston fans across the board. No matter the sport.

:kubepalm:

PapaL
10-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Could be the next Brees though ...

Could be the next Timmy Chang though...

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Sorry if I skipped someone saying this but when Yates was QB the O seemed more focus around Foster...and now Tate...which is the way it should be. At 21-3 yesterday Foster was still getting 5 yards a pop but they wanted Schaub to throw. Maybe running the ball and a game manager is what puts things on the right track. Just throwing that out.

If I were Kubiak I'd ask Arian why he hadn't been running like that all year. He looked very, very good Sunday. Even better when Yates came in.

If he tells me because he knew it was "on him" to get the offense going, I'd smack him in the head & tell him it's always on him, that's why we gave him that contract.

If he says he felt a shock & jolt, extra energy thinking they had a chance with Tj..... I'd kick myself in the arse & take a honest hard look at the team. Schaub's a good QB, he's never been great. It's not going to be easy to replace him, but if the team do not feel like he gives them a good chance to win against contenders.... I'm moving on.

devo-x
10-08-2013, 08:48 AM
I would imagine that we will see Yates starting for the Texans against the Rams considering the struggles from Schaub. Kubiak risks causing division among the team and losing control of the team if he does not make a QB change at this point. It's unfortunate that its come to this point though

Hookem Horns
10-08-2013, 08:55 AM

It's almost like wishing injury on your starting QB because you know the guy behind him is better but the coach is too stubborn to make the change.

Actually that worked for Florida Gator fans this season. :thinking:

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I would imagine that we will see Yates starting for the Texans against the Rams considering the struggles from Schaub. Kubiak risks causing division among the team and losing control of the team if he does not make a QB change at this point. It's unfortunate that its come to this point though

I think this will define whether Kubiak is a HeadCoach or a cheerleader.

If he is a HeadCoach, he'll get the team to rally around Matt, not just pay lip service, but actually rally around Matt & pick up the slack.

All year we've been talking about how Matt does not have the ability to take up the slack for a poor offensive line, or a running game, or a struggling defense. But the fact is that he's overcome all of those at one time or another during his stint here.

He's struggling & right now, we need the rest of the team to take up the slack & help him get through it.

While I believe that makes sense, I think it makes more sense to throw Tj out there, or Keenum out there. We saw the team rally around Tj before. I don't think we had to go through a 3 game losing streak to get them to do that. He was a rookie, he was a third stringer, they did what they had to do. At the same time, it's not difficult to see Matt was struggling. I've only seen two players, maybe three, stepping up their game during this time.

Why pull teeth to get these guys to rally around Matt when he's lost the one trait that made him a starting QB in this league? Throw one of the kids out there who you have some confidence in & the team will respond.

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Could be the next Timmy Chang though...

Won't know until we give him his chance.

Mr. White
10-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Ad hominem much?

PapaL
10-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Won't know until we give him his chance.

Chances aren't given, they're earned.

TexansSeminole
10-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Sorry if I skipped someone saying this but when Yates was QB the O seemed more focused around Foster...and now Tate...which is the way it should be. At 21-3 yesterday Foster was still getting 5 yards a pop but they wanted Schaub to throw. Maybe running the ball and a game manager is what puts things on the right track. Just throwing that out.

I don't disagree with that at all. I think the team would benefit a lot from a game manager that isn't giving points away. We are set up for that type of QB to succeed, with our running game and defense.

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 02:45 PM

:bravo:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-08-2013, 03:08 PM

When has Schaub earned anything on this team? He was handed the starting job the minute we shipped off two 2nd rounders for him and has never had to compete for anything.

Rey
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM

No, they're given.

You could work until you bleed from you eyes, and have some talent to go with it. But there is still someone that has to grant you that opportunity within a football structure. You're either given a chance to prove yourself or you're forced into duty due to injury.

Double Barrel
10-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Sooooo similar to the VY period.

I see where you're coming from, but it's nothing near the roar of the VY fan club during that draft.

He just won a national championship for a major school. He was going to be drafted in the top 5 no matter what.

Keenum played for little ol' UH, and while he set some nice records, ultimately went undrafted and sat on the Texans practice squad for a year without any interest shown from other teams.

yeah, there is some buzz on this board about him, but that's merely a small light against a backdrop of black hopelessness that fans are feeling due to the Pick 6 King.

People were crowning VY into the Hall of Fame before he ever took a snap in the NFL.

Nobody is giving Keenum that kind of blind support. They are merely saying they saw something in him - even a glimmer - that appears to be void in our current QB.

Yes and no.

Some teams it's earned.

With the Texans, not so much. Did Kubiak really earn a second chance after going 6-10 in 2010? As mentioned up thread, did Frank Bush really earn another chance after coaching a horrid defense? What about Marciano? Did he really earn this year after coaching the worse ST unit in the NFL last season?

As for players, did David Carr really earn that year with Kubiak as HC? Did Schaub earn a start next week with his current streak of pick 6's and INTs?

Obviously examples can can go on and on. The point is that the standard set by other teams is not the Texans standard.

dickieb
10-08-2013, 04:51 PM
I remember another hometown boy QB that wore #7 that I wanted to start back in the day... Bucky Richardson! Case reminds me of having the same spark Bucky had, in his ability to scramble and make plays. But Case would have a way better team supporting him than Bucky had with the 1994 Oilers.

ObsiWan
10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I have a question regarding this issue that may be part of the problem.

Kubiak assesses the strengths and weaknesses of his players based on what they do in practice, right?

So if all the CBs in the league can read Schaub and this offense like a book and exploit it for quick scores, is that not happening in practice?? J-Jo and K-Jax are good to pretty good CBs right? Wade cooks up a good defense. Are they not jumping routes in practice so Schaub's weaknesses can be exposed before we get in real games?

Is Wade's D pressing Schaub in practice like other teams do in games? What am I missing.

And no, I'm not laying this on the D. I'm just trying to figure out what Kubiak is seeing in practice and why it isn't translating to game time.

cuppacoffee
10-08-2013, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=Double Barrel;2225320]I see where you're coming from, but it's nothing near the roar of the VY fan club during that draft.

He just won a national championship for a major school. He was going to be drafted in the top 5 no matter what.

Keenum played for little ol' UH, and while he set some nice records, ultimately went undrafted and sat on the Texans practice squad for a year without any interest shown from other teams.

yeah, there is some buzz on this board about him, but that's merely a small light against a backdrop of black hopelessness that fans are feeling due to the Pick 6 King.

People were crowning VY into the Hall of Fame before he ever took a snap in the NFL.

Nobody is giving Keenum that kind of blind support. They are merely saying they saw something in him - even a glimmer - that appears to be void in our current QB.

Yes and no.

I am all for giving Case or TJ a shot. I have no preference.

Kubes putting either one in for the last quarter would not be a fair test for either of them.

Give one of them the weeks reps with the ones and see what they can do with proper preparation. The next week give the other one the reps and the start. That gives them the bye to evaluate everything.

We need a replacement for Schaub, the only question now if we have one or not. I am not in the least concerned with the rest of the season, I have seen enough.

cuppacoffee
10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Double post

EllisUnit
10-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Oh come on i am hoping this so it helps the team, if schaub comes out the rest of the season and plays good enough not to lose and we make the play-off but get blown out cause all play-off games are prime time, what has been accomplished besides having schaub as the starter next season as well, then we get to ride this ferris wheel around again with the same results next season.

Grams
10-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Schaub is broke. Not sure is physical, mental or some personal problem that is haunting him. Maybe he doesn't trust the O Line, maybe the receivers, or he is afraid he will get hurt again or doesn't like the play calling or some family member is having severe problems. Whatever it is he has lost all his confidence.

We know what we have in Yates - Matt 2.0. Just a little quicker, little faster on his feet, maybe a little more accurate, but still Matt 2.0. Yates is a good backup but I do not think he would be a franchise QB.

I would like to see if our next QB is on the team. There is a reason they put Case on the 53 and not the PS. Let him start the next 2 games and find out. If he cannot handle it, then we will know.

I saw a different energy on the field when Case was playing in the pre-season. He looked faster, more accurate, got the ball out quicker and seemed to have a pocket awareness that Matt does not have. I would just like to see if he has those during a reg game.

RTP2110
10-08-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm trying to think rationally here, and keeping it in terms of this season. So, in a way I can see why Kubiak is reluctant to pull Schaub, other than loyalty/stupidity. They aren't going to trade for a QB of any significance, and they're not going to find one in the FA market either. We have three options for this season, Schaub, Yates, or Keenum. Given the circumstances, the best thing that can happen for this team is for Schaub to somehow pull himself out of this tailspin, and get back to the level he was playing at during the beginning of last season. That is the best case, realistic scenario, IMO. And I think Kubiak is going to hold out for that outcome as long as possible.

It's taken for Schaub to have a historic collapse for the idea of starting Yates or Keenum to even be a legit topic. So the only way that happens is if Schaub continues playing as bad as he has. If that does happen we get a QB better than terrible Schaub, but likely not as good as Schaub has shown he previously could be.

The big unknown is if Schaub can, a) get out of this tailspin and, b) get back to his prior level. I don't know if it's possible with his foot injury; I don't know if it's possible mentally after this huge collapse. I do think that IF he could do it, it would be our best chance at contention for this year.

TexCanada
10-08-2013, 06:06 PM
I have a question regarding this issue that may be part of the problem.

Kubiak assesses the strengths and weaknesses of his players based on what they do in practice, right?

So if all the CBs in the league can read Schaub and this offense like a book and exploit it for quick scores, is that not happening in practice?? J-Jo and K-Jax are good to pretty good CBs right? Wade cooks up a good defense. Are they not jumping routes in practice so Schaub's weaknesses can be exposed before we get in real games?

Is Wade's D pressing Schaub in practice like other teams do in games? What am I missing.

And no, I'm not laying this on the D. I'm just trying to figure out what Kubiak is seeing in practice and why it isn't translating to game time.

I think Schaub's problem is that he is wilting under the pressure right now. I don't mean pressure from the defense, I mean pressure from the fans, the team, himself, etc.

We've seen what Schaub is capable of, I think he just isn't as good when the big lights come on. Its a problem seen at all levels of sport (and life), some guys are practice warriors because they don't do as well under pressure. Other guys look average until you put them in the big situation, and then they excel.

thunderkyss
10-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I think this will define whether Kubiak is a HeadCoach or a cheerleader.

If he is a HeadCoach, he'll get the team to rally around Matt, not just pay lip service, but actually rally around Matt & pick up the slack.

All year we've been talking about how Matt does not have the ability to take up the slack for a poor offensive line, or a running game, or a struggling defense. But the fact is that he's overcome all of those at one time or another during his stint here.

He's struggling & right now, we need the rest of the team to take up the slack & help him get through it.

He's a cheerleader, & not a very good one.

SchaubApologist
10-13-2013, 06:31 PM
He's a cheerleader, & not a very good one.

Let's-Go-Texans!!!!!!!!!!

Gimme an F
Gimme an I
Gimme an E
Gimme an L
Gimme an D
Gimme an G
Gimme an O
Gimme an A
Gimme an L
What does that spell?? FIELD GOAL!!

thunderkyss