PDA

View Full Version : 2 moves I would make to improve the team.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I would do 2 things in no particular order.

Trade for Kirk Cousins - I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see Case Keenum play but I think that Cousins is a very good quarterback with a lot of upside and I would put together a very attractive offer at in order to obtain his services. W/O a very good quarterback you cannot win the Super Bowl in just about all cases. Cousins knows the system, has helped RG3 with his progress, and has looked very good against first team competition during the regular season. The Redskins know that Cousins will be long gone once his contract is up and would be foolish to turn down lets say a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Much like Kirk Cousins, Ben Tate will be long gone after his contract is up and the Browns will be looking to sign him during free agency. I would trade him for a second and and third or fourth round pick in the 2015 draft, not the 2014 draft because I suspect the Browns will be looking to package draft picks in order to move up in order to land a top signal caller. This way the Browns will not have to fight for his services once he hits the free market.

Feedback...thanks.

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Trade for Kirk Cousins - I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see Case Keenum play but I think that Cousins is a very good quarterback with a lot of upside and I would put together a very attractive offer at in order to obtain his services. W/O a very good quarterback you cannot win the Super Bowl in just about all cases. Cousins knows the system, has helped RG3 with his progress, and has looked very good against first team competition during the regular season. The Redskins know that Cousins will be long gone once his contract is up and would be foolish to turn down lets say a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Much like Kirk Cousins, Ben Tate will be long gone after his contract is up and the Browns will be looking to sign him during free agency. I would trade him for a second and and third or fourth round pick in the 2015 draft, not the 2014 draft because I suspect the Browns will be looking to package draft picks in order to move up in order to land a top signal caller. This way the Browns will not have to fight for his services once he hits the free market.

Feedback...thanks.

I dont think the skins are going to give him up taking into account RGIII's playing style

dream_team
10-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Feedback...thanks.

So when exactly would you do these trades? I wouldn't mind a trade for Cousins in the off season. Trading Tate now is showing that we're giving up on this season... there's no way we will, nor should, give up on this season until we're mathematically eliminated.

Also, I highly doubt a team will give up a 2nd and 4th for Tate, considering he's a FA after this season.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
I believe the trade deadline Oct. 29, 4 p.m. ET.

dream_team
10-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Feedback...thanks.

Also, Flacco has proven you still can win a SB w/o being a very good QB.

DX-TEX
10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Can this thread be merged with any one of the other 12 that include ridiculous/stupid/unrealistic ideas?

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 01:43 PM

He was during the playoffs. I just can't see us winning it all with Schuab because for him to be effective he has to have a clean pocket. Guys get in his face and he does not possess the ability to extend plays. He either throws it away, dumps it off to a RB when other OBs would be moving around in the pocket with their eyes down field, or makes a mistake. We could win it all with Schaub but he has to have an excellent, I mean really damn good OL in order to succeed.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Can this thread be merged with any one of the other 12 that include ridiculous/stupid/unrealistic ideas?

Probably stupid given the conservative nature of the FO, but I guess you saw the Trent Richardson move coming right...

b0ng
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Probably stupid given the conservative nature of the FO, but I guess you saw the Trent Richardson move coming right...

Because Browns = Texans? Maybe we should trade for Bryan Hoyer instead?

OzzO
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Cousins is under contract till 2015, total contract like 2.5 mil. Cheap insurance for when RG3 goes down again (most likely with his style of play). A first & second may perk up the Skins' ears, but I've heard the upcoming draft is good for QB's... so not sure Texans would give selections 1 & 2 up unless Cousins is that much better than anything that could be had in the first round.

Tate, agree with Dream above - on both the "giving up" and teams most likely wait till FA (unless they also just need a RB and see nothing better in the draft)

DX-TEX
10-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Who in their right mind would trade for Tate for a 12 game rental? The browns are not contending and they know it. They can sign him for no loss of draft picks next year. Picks they need to rebuild.

Cousins. Really? What has he shown to warrant any kind of trade? Not a huge step up from yates honestly. Why would Washington get rid of him when their starter is 1 light shot to the knee away from being out the year?

Yes, just plain dumb/unrealistic ideas period and we don't need another thread devoted to this fantasy land thinking

Corrosion
10-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Feedback...thanks.

I doubt the Skins move Cousins and have to wonder , if they did , how long it would take for him to come in and take over the offense and be capable of winning games.

As for moving Tate , that doesn't make the team any better RIGHT NOW in the midst of a season we have our sights set on a superbowl. Long term .... sure it might help , but not today or in week 17 not in the playoffs.

The team is in Win Now Mode ....

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Cousins is under contract till 2015, total contract like 2.5 mil. Cheap insurance for when RG3 goes down again (most likely with his style of play). A first & second may perk up the Skins' ears, but I've heard the upcoming draft is good for QB's... so not sure Texans would give selections 1 & 2 up unless Cousins is that much better than anything that could be had in the first round.

Tate, agree with Dream above - on both the "giving up" and teams most likely wait till FA (unless they also just need a RB and see nothing better in the draft)

The Browns want Tate, it has been reported, and the chances of them getting him once he hits the open market will diminish substantially. There will be a lot of teams after him. I agree with you on Cousins. That would be a much more difficult deal to complete based of RG3's style of play but we have strong connections with the Redskins coaching staff and I think that would help. It would still be a hard deal to make.

Uncle Rico
10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Cousins didn't really impress me when RG3 went down, outside of 1 game maybe? Memory kinda cloudy. I'm sure Shanahan isn't in a big rush to help out his protoge anyways. Who/what do you give up?

I would trade Tate for a RT. Koobs isn't playing him anyways, 1/3 of the carries is a joke considering the talent, I heard Tate gave an interview that gave off the impression he was gone after the season so why not get something for him?

DX-TEX
10-03-2013, 02:05 PM
The Browns want Tate, it has been reported, and the chances of them getting him once he hits the open market will diminish substantially. There will be a lot of teams after him. I agree with you on Cousins. That would be a much more difficult deal to complete based of RG3's style of play but we have strong connections with the Redskins coaching staff and I think that would help. It would still be a hard deal to make.

lol wow! It has been rumored not reported, big difference. How is getting him in free agency going diminish their chances? they have lots of cap room and Tate will sign with whoever pays him the most. Trading for him when he is in the final year of his contract would be even dumber than your "hard to get" argument.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I doubt the Skins move Cousins and have to wonder , if they did , how long it would take for him to come in and take over the offense and be capable of winning games.

As for moving Tate , that doesn't make the team any better RIGHT NOW in the midst of a season we have our sights set on a superbowl. Long term .... sure it might help , but not today or in week 17 not in the playoffs.

The team is in Win Now Mode ....

Cousins has shown the ability to play very well during the regular season and I just don't see us winning the Super Bowl this season with Schuab at QB and the Broncos playing at such a high level I would try to get something for Tate while we still can.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 02:11 PM
lol wow! It has been rumored not reported, big difference. How is getting him in free agency going diminish their chances? they have lots of cap room and Tate will sign with whoever pays him the most. Trading for him when he is in the final year of his contract would be even dumber than your "hard to get" argument.

When Tate hits the open market there will be more than the Browns going after him. This way they could make sure they got him. He will be a very hot commodity when he hits the open market.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9708082/cleveland-browns-covet-ben-tate-free-agency-open-trading-josh-gordon-greg-little-source-says

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Cousins didn't really impress me when RG3 went down, outside of 1 game maybe? Memory kinda cloudy. I'm sure Shanahan isn't in a big rush to help out his protoge anyways. Who/what do you give up?

I would trade Tate for a RT. Koobs isn't playing him anyways, 1/3 of the carries is a joke considering the talent, I heard Tate gave an interview that gave off the impression he was gone after the season so why not get something for him?

Draft pick(s)

Dread-Head
10-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Feedback...thanks.

:thinking: :soapbox: (ahem)

"It doesn't Matter what you think!"

Duane "The Rock" Johnson

Just messin' with ya. Sorry man, but you set yourself up for that.

DX-TEX
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
When Tate hits the open market there will be more than the Browns going after him. This way they could make sure they got him. He will be a very hot commodity when he hits the open market.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9708082/cleveland-browns-covet-ben-tate-free-agency-open-trading-josh-gordon-greg-little-source-says

You just destroy your own argument! WHY WASTE A DRAFT PICK WHEN HE IS A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR!? There is just as much chance he will not resign as there is they can sign him as a FA.

Yes I know they can tag him but no wants to pay a RB that much all at once. You have no clue how the NFL works.

deucetx
10-03-2013, 02:21 PM
In reality, none of these would happen. Doubt the Skins want to get rid of Cousins at this point unless offered more than they should receive. Plus he would need time to gel with the line and receivers, etc. It's easy to trade a RB and go plug and play. Not a QB in the middle of the year.

Tate...no GM with an ounce of sense would do it. He's going to be a free agent that they know we can't afford. For them to trade now for him they would have to speak to him to have some sort of agreement he will sign with them when the trade is made, yada. So chances are highly slim there especially if you add in the fact we're talking running back. To garner that risky move you'd have to be Adrian Peterson like. You aren't trading anything for a back you can get in the offseason because if you don't get him, oh well. You'll grab one some other way. Not a big deal.

Moves that are needed to help the team now need to take place on that offensive line. Newton for one should be hitting the bench at this point. If Brown is healthy and ready to go I would move Harris over to RT. Even Gardner woud be worth the shot at this point. That would leave OG to worry about. For being a vet Wade Smith has been short of horrible. Brooks not much better but at least he is a first time starter. So Jones would probably slide between Brown and Myers there since we don't have the Q-man who I felt outplayed Jones in preseason.

I would feel better with two youngsters at the OG spots if they are in a bracket of veterans like Brown and even medicore Harris who did an admirable job at LT. Either way, can't get much worse. We already have our QB as the 3rd most pressured guy in the league.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
You just destroy your own argument! WHY WASTE A DRAFT PICK WHEN HE IS A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR!? There is just as much chance he will not resign as there is they can sign him as a FA.

Yes I know they can tag him but no wants to pay a RB that much all at once. You have no clue how the NFL works.

Because other teams will be after him too when he hits the open market and in turn this will drive his price up.

DX-TEX
10-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Because other teams will be after him too when he hits the open market and in turn this will drive his price up.

Im done with this endless cycle of stupidity you are in. Go burn another jersey.

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 02:28 PM
2. start case keenum

add this to the silly list that isnt going to happen

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Im done with this endless cycle of stupidity you are in. Go burn another jersey.

Never burned a jersey and I don't see why you have been so rude throughout this thread. Just say you don't agree and back it up with some info, offer another alternative, some pertinent info, anything but insults. Crazy how I can throw an opinion out there in order to improve the team and you just come down with the insults, appreciate it.

Marcus
10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
yYes, just plain dumb/unrealistic ideas period and we don't need another thread devoted to this fantasy land thinking

Well, you'd best stay the hell away from the No Spin Zone then. Fantasy land thinking is the rite of passage in that place. Your head will explode very quickly.:)

eriadoc
10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm not necessarily against going after Kirk Cousins, or Nick Foles, or whatever other backup someone thinks can blossom into a bona fide star QB. But what do you see right now with Cousins (or whoever) that's any better than what 2006 Schaub showed in his limited time as a backup to Vick? Why do you think one of those backups is going to end up better than what Schaub has become? I'm not saying they will or won't; I'm just wanting to know your reasoning.

2012Champs
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
of course you wouldnt want that matt schaub.

Im a realistic person and wanting my unicorn to come home isnt going to make it happen

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm not necessarily against going after Kirk Cousins, or Nick Foles, or whatever other backup someone thinks can blossom into a bona fide star QB. But what do you see right now with Cousins (or whoever) that's any better than what 2006 Schaub showed in his limited time as a backup to Vick? Why do you think one of those backups is going to end up better than what Schaub has become? I'm not saying they will or won't; I'm just wanting to know your reasoning.

He has a small sample size but everything indicates he is the real deal. Jon Gruden said he would offer a 1st for Cousins, he knows the playbook, has great intangibles, killed the Browns, and had an overtime victory against the Ravens. Also has looked very solid in preseason games. That is why I would target Cousins.

El Tejano
10-03-2013, 03:49 PM
I would let Yates or Keenum grow with the young WR talent we have in Posey, Martin?, Jean (he's played good with Yates and Keenum) and Hopkins.

Texan_Bill
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Why in the hell would you trade for a QB when this draft class is going to be pretty stout. Pick one and groom him over the next couple of years.

HouTx11

Someone should make a "what would you do NOW to help the Texans get back on track this season" thread.

Nitrofish
He has a small sample size but everything indicates he is the real deal. Jon Gruden said he would offer a 1st for Cousins, he knows the playbook, has great intangibles, killed the Browns, and had an overtime victory against the Ravens. Also has looked very solid in preseason games. That is why I would target Cousins.

Just for the record, Gruden also said that Matt Schaub was elite just before the Texans got pounded by the Pats on national television, so just because Chucky said it, it doesn't mean anything.

Killed the browns? Wow...

eriadoc
10-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Weren't all the same things said about Schaub after he dazzled with the Falcons? Hell, when Matt Cassel helped the Pats win 10 or 11 games in Brady's absence, people raved about him. Matt Flynn was going to be the next great thing when the Seahawks signed him after one big game.

Maybe I'm just a little gun shy about going after other teams' backups. We have backups. Use those. I am all for drafting a QB and having an open QB competition.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Just for the record, Gruden also said that Matt Schaub was elite just before the Texans got pounded by the Pats on national television, so just because Chucky said it, it doesn't mean anything.

Killed the browns? Wow...

The general consensus it that Cousins can be a franchise QB based on his play.

badboy
10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Im done with this endless cycle of stupidity you are in. Go burn another jersey.Why are you spending so much of your valuable time in a "ridiculous/stupid/ unrealistic" thread?

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Trade for Kirk Cousins - I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see Case Keenum play but I think that Cousins is a very good quarterback with a lot of upside

The Redskins know that Cousins will be long gone once his contract is up and would be foolish to turn down lets say a 1st and 2nd round pick.

I'd be curious to hear what you'd think an attractive offer would be. Since they drafted Cousins I thought he was an insurance policy. He's being groomed for the starting job, RG3 is just the filler. The way Shanahan appears to have no regard for Griffin's safety, makes me think he believes Cousins is ready now.

But I suspect RG3 would be traded from the Redskins before Cousins. Doubt you could present an offer attractive enough for their future franchise QB.

Feedback...thanks.

You want to trade Ben Tate to Cleveland for their 2015 picks?

Uhm... no.

You want to trade him to some other team that doesn't want to overpay in FA?

I'd be disappointed if Rick Smith hasn't put the feelers out already. He should know what Ben Tate's value is already. Personally I think we're thinking Super Bowl, recent team performance shouldn't have changed that goal. It would have to be a really sweet deal to take it.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 05:32 PM

I'd be surprised if Tate signs anything like a $3M/yr deal.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 05:40 PM

That fumble showed me why Kubiak doesn't give him more carries. Gots to have been putting them on the ground in practice, nothing else makes sense to me.

That said, before the season I said WR was our #1 priority & I liked the development of Derek Newton, but drafting a first round OT would really take this offense to the next level. We'd be unstoppable.

I'm still not writing Newton off though, at the same time I'd be happy with a trade of Tate for a good OT, but I can't imagine anyone but the Jags already mailing it in.

What's the Bucs got for OT?

Double Barrel
10-03-2013, 05:49 PM

yeah, Flacco's 11 TDs and no INTs in last year's playoffs really shows that he's not very good. :ok:

And to really highlight Flacco's mediocrity, he's the first quarterback to have a passer rating over 100 in all four games of a single postseason.

What a chump!

His 6 playoff wins on the road? Average, at best. Just because he is the only QB in NFL history to ever accomplish such a thing means diddly squat....right? (Can I get an "amen"?!)

I can't believe they don't cut the guy today with his lame 9-4 playoff record. Seriously, just because he's the only QB to win two playoff games in his rookie season and won at least one playoff game every year he's been in the league, they act like he should be a starting QB!

Wolf6151
10-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I'll give you credit for thinking outside the box and at least trying to improve the team but your trade values are wrong IMO. Your overpaying for Cousins as he's still young and unproven in the long run. I'd give them a 2nd and 4th for a backup QB with potential.

Your way over valuing Tate, no team is going to give up a 2nd and 2015 4th for a guy they can just sign at the end of the year without giving up draft picks. It would give the Browns first shot at re-signing him but he'd still be a FA at the end of the season and free to sign with anyone. Tate would be a half season rental for the Browns, and that's not worth a 2nd and 2015 4th.

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
1. fire joe marciano

2. start case keenum

You cant have both schaub and kubiak and think you have a shot at the superbowl.

You cant have both. That's like having aids and cancer at the same time.

Chances of survival will be slim. Give yourself a chance and get rid of one of them.

^^^^
This

If I got a 3rd thing it would be to sign Casey Hampton.

bash
10-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Either fix the O Line and hope it holds for 13 more weeks + playoffs + superbowl

Or

Beef it up the best you can and start the best mobile/accurate QB

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire Marciano.

No explanation needed, I cringe when I see a KR take it from endzone and end up at the 42 yd line.

or when Randy B. comes out to kick at anything over 25 yds.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Never burned a jersey and I don't see why you have been so rude throughout this thread. Just say you don't agree and back it up with some info, offer another alternative, some pertinent info, anything but insults. .

I agree, the insults are uncalled for.

However, you continue to fail to recognize his basic premise. We're at week 5 of a 17 week, 16 game season. Ben Tate will be an UFA after week 17(more or less), Browns can't stop it without tagging him. Why would they tag him if they just traded Richardson away?

I understand trading for players we would have no chance at getting in FA (you're going to overpay in FA, regardless), but you don't trade for a guy without a contract.

SW H-TOWN
10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I agree, the insults are uncalled for.

However, you continue to fail to recognize his basic premise. We're at week 5 of a 17 week, 16 game season. Ben Tate will be an UFA after week 17(more or less), Browns can't stop it without tagging him. Why would they tag him if they just traded Richardson away?

I understand trading for players we would have no chance at getting in FA (you're going to overpay in FA, regardless), but you don't trade for a guy without a contract.

Thanks for the feedback. If the Browns would be unable to have a contract in place for Tate to sign before FA begins in March then completely my bad. I always thought that you could sign a player on your roster to a contract extension during the season.

Frankie
10-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Lmfao "breh!" I agree 100. Marciano has got to go. Get rid of the cancer (Schaub), and keep the immune deficiency at bay (Kubiak). Kirk Cousins bro? Don't you think we need more of an ATHLETIC qb? Not to take anything away from cousins, but he's not that dude. If we only had a qb that could run for a first down on a 3rd and long when the defense is giving it to you. We just need any kind of qb with legs, if you think Cousins could do it then bring it. I just want to win like everybody else. If we had an elite qb, we would be UNSTOPPABLE! Personally, I say put the ball in KEENUMS hands this Sunday, not saying this season is a bust already, but with Schaub, we more than likely drop to 2-3 anyway. Develop the hometown boy and let him blossom a Texan before he shines somewhere else. The Flacco comment. Flacco? Flacco? Really!?? Flacco winning a SB gives everybody hope that has a horrible qb at the helm, if he can do it, anyone can. F@#K FAGGO!

Seegara
10-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't think it's such a ridiculous idea. I like the idea of trading Tate now. We have an able backup in C. Wood, Tate is headed for free agancy, and nobody in his right mind likes his tendency to fumble at the worst possible time. As for the other trade, we gotta have a QB NOW if we're to have a shot at the playoffs.

I would force the coaches to replace Schaub, and if we get a good one, trade Schaub to Jacksonville for some offensive linemen.

beerlover
10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Fire Kubiak
&
Bench Matt Schaub

That would certainly shake things up if not improve this team. Wade has head coaching experience, no question guys would ball out every weekend. Give Keenum & Yates a chance. We're all sick & tired of underachieving results & laying eggs on prime time because we choose to enable a pair of career back-up's. Let's try a new pair of back-ups, damn that's harsh but true :hankpalm:

Uncle Rico
10-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Lmfao "breh!" I agree 100. Marciano has got to go. Get rid of the cancer (Schaub), and keep the immune deficiency at bay (Kubiak). Kirk Cousins bro? Don't you think we need more of an ATHLETIC qb? Not to take anything away from cousins, but he's not that dude. If we only had a qb that could run for a first down on a 3rd and long when the defense is giving it to you. We just need any kind of qb with legs, if you think Cousins could do it then bring it. I just want to win like everybody else. If we had an elite qb, we would be UNSTOPPABLE! Personally, I say put the ball in KEENUMS hands this Sunday, not saying this season is a bust already, but with Schaub, we more than likely drop to 2-3 anyway. Develop the hometown boy and let him blossom a Texan before he shines somewhere else. The Flacco comment. Flacco? Flacco? Really!?? Flacco winning a SB gives everybody hope that has a horrible qb at the helm, if he can do it, anyone can. F@#K FAGGO!

May God have mercy on your soul, the guys on here are gonna tear you to bits!

DocBar
10-03-2013, 09:55 PM
I don't think it's such a ridiculous idea. I like the idea of trading Tate now. We have an able backup in C. Wood, Tate is headed for free agancy, and nobody in his right mind likes his tendency to fumble at the worst possible time. As for the other trade, we gotta have a QB NOW if we're to have a shot at the playoffs.

I would force the coaches to replace Schaub, and if we get a good one, trade Schaub to Jacksonville for some offensive linemen.What would you think of Wood after he whiffs in pass pro and get's his QB (which ever one you prefer) sent to IR? Wood showed a lot of upside in PS, but he didn't look great in pass pro, iirc.

It takes two to tango and make trades. What teams do you see out there that appear to be one good RB from making a serious playoff run?

Are you ready to risk the rest of this season on Foster and a rookie RB in the backfield for a middle to late round draft pick? Sometimes it sounds great to "what if" stuff, but you need to look at the big picture and really think about how the team will be better or worse after making a move. Trading Tate means you have to rely on a UDFA rookie to spell Foster, and what do you do if Foster gets hurt? The Texans, realistically, could be the team that's one player short of a serious playoff run. That player just happens to be the starting QB. I would trade Tate for Manning or Rodgers or Brady, but not for a draft pick. We need him too much this season.

texanhead08
10-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Fix the oline...it doesn't matter who the QB is if we continue to have poor line play its just going to end up with more poor QB play. If we had a mobile QB he would be forced to run and a QB running would be a target for more hits and a risk of being injured just like Schaub the statue.

PapaL
10-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I don't think either of these two moves would be ridiculous. A rookie QB isn't going to be familiar with they system we, and Washington, run. He'd be light years ahead. Young, mobile, not shell shocked.

I don't see moving Ben as giving up on the season. He's easily one of my favorite players but if you can get something you get it. In the hypothetical Browns trade, a contract extension would be part of the deal. No extension means no trade. I can see how that might pry a pick from Cleveland.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. If the Browns would be unable to have a contract in place for Tate to sign before FA begins in March then completely my bad. I always thought that you could sign a player on your roster to a contract extension during the season.

They could. But they'll be competing with what Tate & his agent thinks his value is on the open market, which is what they were trying to avoid by trading for him remember? He's not required to sign anything & they can't stop him from talking to other teams unless they franchise tag him.

The Browns would be able to tag him & if the tag number is equal to or less than what they would offer him, it's an option for them. I think the tag for a RB is $8M...... I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay him $8M.

The only way I can imagine Tate signing with the Browns before FA would be if he experienced another set back, wasn't able to put together a strong season & accepted a long term deal with the Browns with the understanding that he'd be the starter if he's healthy.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Fix the oline...it doesn't matter who the QB is if we continue to have poor line play its just going to end up with more poor QB play. If we had a mobile QB he would be forced to run and a QB running would be a target for more hits and a risk of being injured just like Schaub the statue.

You should have been watching the Texans game this past Sunday. Russell Wilson had three guys on his OL that couldn't block for crap..... I mean Brooks Reed got a sack. But Wilson found a way to win the game any way

DocBar
10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't think either of these two moves would be ridiculous. A rookie QB isn't going to be familiar with they system we, and Washington, run. He'd be light years ahead. Young, mobile, not shell shocked.

I don't see moving Ben as giving up on the season. He's easily one of my favorite players but if you can get something you get it. In the hypothetical Browns trade, a contract extension would be part of the deal. No extension means no trade. I can see how that might pry a pick from Cleveland.And you also don't think a rookie QB, with no PS experience in a system would be overwhelmed. Might want to check that date on your crab cakes. YIKES!!!! Wait...were you being facetious?

SchaubApologist
10-04-2013, 01:28 AM

Feedback...thanks.

Feedback....?

You lost me at a 1st & 2nd for kirk cousins...

LOL!!!

:spit:

:hankpalm:

Thorn
10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Nothing is going to happen the rest of the season to anyone. Kubiak will remain the HC until the season is over and Schaub will continue to start. Schaub will undoubtedly have a few good games, enough to keep him in the drivers seat.

2014 rinse and repeat. We just have to hope for the best with what we got. I'd love nothing more than to be rid of Kubiak and Schaub, but it just isn't gonna happen.

Bulls on Parade
10-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Do the Texans even have the necessary cap space to make an impact trade before the trade deadline coming up at the end of the month on October 29? Can we even sign Josh Freeman as a free agent right now? It would have to be close to a minimum salary I'm guessing? Or how much can he realistically be offered if the Texans choose to take a look at him for the remainder of the season?

Also, I'm hoping Case Keenum can still be moved back to the practice squad or would he have to clear waivers first? I guess another team would probably sign him because he sure did light it up in the preseason. We have another Matt Flynn, aka Mr. Preseason in Case Keenum. Woah! Similar sizes too. Flynn is 6'2 and Keenum is 6'1. I'd argue he's more like 5'10 though. That's why those guys fell in the draft (lack of size). Flynn was a 7th round pick and Keenum of course was undrafted.

I feel like Josh Freeman is a legitimate NFL starting caliber QB with the size and arm strength to succeed. His seasons in 2010 and 2012 prove he's very capable of putting up some nice numbers. He's worth taking a look at if nothing else. It's not like our current QB depth is anything to glamour over. Yates and Keenum don't exactly strike fear into opposing NFL defenses. Other teams may beat us to the punch on Josh Freeman I guess.

PapaL
10-04-2013, 11:07 AM
And you also don't think a rookie QB, with no PS experience in a system would be overwhelmed. Might want to check that date on your crab cakes. YIKES!!!! Wait...were you being facetious?

Which "rookie QB, with no PS experience" are you talking about Doc?

2012Champs
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Which "rookie QB, with no PS experience" are you talking about Doc?

He's saying Case is his guy and will be the better option that's the answer to everything

badboy
10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Come on guys, any trade involving Tate would include him agreeing to an extension with the new team.

WolverineFan
10-04-2013, 12:39 PM

He had a 117 QB rating and threw 11 TD's and no INT's in the playoffs. Not exactly horrible.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
He had a 117 QB rating and threw 11 TD's and no INT's in the playoffs. Not exactly horrible.

At the very least, he proved that a Dr. Jeckyl like Schaub can turn into a Mr. Hyde in the play-offs.

46.3 QBR, 22 TDs, 10 INTs in the regular season (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11252/joe-flacco). Not exactly elite

beerlover
10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Fire Kubiak
&
Bench Matt Schaub

That would certainly shake things up if not improve this team. Wade has head coaching experience, no question guys would ball out every weekend. Give Keenum & Yates a chance. We're all sick & tired of underachieving results & laying eggs on prime time because we choose to enable a pair of career back-up's. Let's try a new pair of back-ups, damn that's harsh but true :hankpalm:

bump :kubepalm:

Texian
10-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Call Oliver Luck tomorrow and David Shaw's agent to see how much Luck would want to be GM and Shaw to be HC and could they start the first week in January.