PDA

View Full Version : Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wolf6151
10-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I tried making up a mock last night but with so many questions surrounding the Texans at QB, with Antonio Smith reaching FA, and major needs at RT, CB, and OLB it's hard to decide where to go. That's 5 needs in the first 2 rounds. Needs in no particular order:

QB, I agree with the consensus opinion that Schaub needs to go but I doubt seriously the Texans will cut him at the end of this season due to the guaranteed money still owed him. And I agree with BB that Keenum is being groomed as his replacement, so I don't think the Texans will spend a 1st on a QB in 2014.

OLB, a stud OLB would free up the team to move Brooks Reed to ILB and kill 2 birds with 1 stone at the same time adding quality and depth to the LB corp as a whole. This would probably give us the biggest pay off in the 1st round.

RT, we desperately need to solidify the RT spot and gain some continuity and depth on the O-line. I had high hopes for Brennan Williams but after micro fracture surgery I doubt he ever plays a snap for us. Will Newton ever get over his injury and become a quality RT or do we replace him. Even if we replace him I don't think the Texans want to use a 1st on the RT spot.

DT/DE, this all depends on if Antonio Smith is re-signed, I sure hope he is, at a team friendly deal lowering his cap hit. I also don't see Jamison or Crick as the Ninja's replacement, neither has the pass rush ability.

CB, we need an upgrade in quality and depth in the secondary so that teams will quit picking on McCain and we need to stock up for the future. CB's take a while to develop so they have to be taken a year or 2 ahead of when you want them to start.

Opinions? Where do you think we spend that 2014 1st round pick, and if you can only fill 2 of these needs in the first 2 rounds, which are they?

NCTexan
10-02-2013, 09:13 PM
DE, I don't think we can afford Antonio after this year unless he accepts a super friendly deal. This needs to be in the top 2.

After that I can't prioritize yet. My first response is RT but I think we won't because of our depth on IR.

Playoffs
10-02-2013, 10:40 PM
QB for me, to watch and learn in Schaub's final year.

Corrosion
10-02-2013, 10:54 PM
QB for me, to watch and learn in Schaub's final year.

I honestly don't think Schaub is the QB going into next season .... they have an exit plan in place and I fully expect them to take advantage of it unless he has some miraculous turnaround over the final 3/4 of the season & no less than an appearance in the big game.

This roster is just too damn good everywhere else to let poor play at such an important position ruin its chances.

aussie_texan
10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
im thinking we go CB or ILB. typically we have drafted a replacement for a FA that will gone the year before so im thinking Rick Smith is going to try to keep the ninja as a DE wasnt drafted last year. also i think we have adequate depth at the position in jamison, crick and now montgomery, so even if smith does go i dont think we take one in the first round unless some unbelievable talent falls.

beerlover
10-03-2013, 10:21 AM
BQBA (Best Quarter Back Available). If that means move up in the draft order then so be it. Do Texans need a better QB? Maybe not but from a fans perspective, it's long overdue. This organization has tortured its fan base long enough with average play from the most important position on their beloved football team. C'mon Man! David Carr to Matt Schaub, is that the best you can do? Does that compare to Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck, or Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers? Makes me sick. Stop treating your fans like ****, get a real QB for a real Football Team, any questions where to spend the 2014 1st rd. draft pick :deadhorse

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I hope they not only pick a QB in the 1st rd but trade back into the 1st rd and pick Van Noy or Shazier.

I really like Barr for the Texans, but he will be long gone by the time the Texans pick.

Late 1st early 2nd rd QB's that could be available are Mettenberger/Murray/Manziel. (The M&M boys)

Playoffs
10-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I honestly don't think Schaub is the QB going into next season ....

Even more reason to select a QB.

badboy
10-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Anyone notice that McCarron has dropped to #91 on CBSSports? TBH other than my guy Verrett, I don't see anyone in first round screaming "I am your guy!" Trade down? If Marqise Lee returns from knee sprain healthy he could be BPA.

Wolf6151
10-03-2013, 04:30 PM
What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? Ed Reed could easily be a one and done player for the Texans, Safety is definitely a need, if trying to save some money we could cut Manning (expecting a 1st round pick to start), and everything I've seen/heard/and read says that Clinton-Dix is an elite level Safety. I think he could vastly improve our secondary without waiting a year or 2 for a CB to adjust to the NFL. Worth considering in the 1st?

htownfan32
10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I really haven't watched as much tape as I should on McCarron, but does anyone really get a vibe that at his very best he's just going to be a step to the side rather than a step up from Matt Schaub? It's a really strange gut feeling I get, and (disclaimer) I have no proof or tape to back that up, but it bothers me for some reason because I have a feeling he will be there when we're picking and our FO is going to be tempted to pick him.

htownfan32
10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? Ed Reed could easily be a one and done player for the Texans, Safety is definitely a need, if trying to save some money we could cut Manning (expecting a 1st round pick to start), and everything I've seen/heard/and read says that Clinton-Dix is an elite level Safety. I think he could vastly improve our secondary without waiting a year or 2 for a CB to adjust to the NFL. Worth considering in the 1st?

Ha-Ha Dix is a baller. There might be some red flags given the suspension as of late though.

Playoffs
10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? ...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2221167#post2221167

Wolf6151
10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
I heard that Clinton-Dix hired an agent already, it's a really dumb thing to do but at least he's not out killing folks or doing drugs.

WolverineFan
10-04-2013, 12:12 AM
We really need a QB, but Kubiak is not going to move on from Schaub. That's his guy and he'll go down with him.

Since no QB, take BPA.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Anyone notice that McCarron has dropped to #91 on CBSSports? TBH other than my guy Verrett, I don't see anyone in first round screaming "I am your guy!" Trade down? If Marqise Lee returns from knee sprain healthy he could be BPA.

You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

I really haven't watched as much tape as I should on McCarron, but does anyone really get a vibe that at his very best he's just going to be a step to the side rather than a step up from Matt Schaub? It's a really strange gut feeling I get, and (disclaimer) I have no proof or tape to back that up, but it bothers me for some reason because I have a feeling he will be there when we're picking and our FO is going to be tempted to pick him.

I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)

Wolf6151
10-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Well eliminated a couple positions from the above list of possibilities.

Safety, Clinton-Dix is the only guy worthy of a 1st round pick and he went and got himself kicked off the team by hiring an agent. I doubt the Texans go for someone making this kind of bone headed move.

QB, as badly as I want Schaub gone and someone else in his place, if it does happen I think it would be Keenum. I don't think we draft a QB early to replace Schaub.

DE/DT, the more I think about it the more I think Antonio Smith is gone after this season in FA (hate to see him go) and that his replacement is already here, Crick, Montgomery, or Jamison. It will most likely be Crick that gets a year to show that he can replace the Ninja.

OT, I don't see the Texans selecting a RT in the 1st round, maybe in the 2nd but most likely in the 3rd. It's possible but doubtful. I just don't think they value the position that high.

That leaves only OLB or CB. I think OLB offers us the most immediate bang for our buck because of the ability to fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed to ILB. Filling OLB might also depend on the development of Willie Jefferson who looked so promising in TC. This also seems like a very good year for CB so we might be able to wait until the 2nd to find a future starter and immediate quality depth. CB is a position that I want a stud at so I'd like to get the best one we can even if he doesn't play as a rookie and it's currently at the top of my mock draft.

Other than QB, what's your reasoning for taking another position in the 1st?

aussie_texan
10-04-2013, 11:18 PM

Safety, Clinton-Dix is the only guy worthy of a 1st round pick and he went and got himself kicked off the team by hiring an agent. I doubt the Texans go for someone making this kind of bone headed move.

QB, as badly as I want Schaub gone and someone else in his place, if it does happen I think it would be Keenum. I don't think we draft a QB early to replace Schaub.

DE/DT, the more I think about it the more I think Antonio Smith is gone after this season in FA (hate to see him go) and that his replacement is already here, Crick, Montgomery, or Jamison. It will most likely be Crick that gets a year to show that he can replace the Ninja.

OT, I don't see the Texans selecting a RT in the 1st round, maybe in the 2nd but most likely in the 3rd. It's possible but doubtful. I just don't think they value the position that high.

That leaves only OLB or CB. I think OLB offers us the most immediate bang for our buck because of the ability to fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed to ILB. Filling OLB might also depend on the development of Willie Jefferson who looked so promising in TC. This also seems like a very good year for CB so we might be able to wait until the 2nd to find a future starter and immediate quality depth. CB is a position that I want a stud at so I'd like to get the best one we can even if he doesn't play as a rookie and it's currently at the top of my mock draft.

maybe TE. OD's contract is coming up. but i guess GG has been playing well and Ryan Griffen looked really good during pre season so probably doesn't happen.

I think they go CB, because im not convinced that KJ stays after his contract is done, JJoe's cap is getting high and even though his improved game by game this season his still not at his best. and our backups are not top CB material so i think you get a guy now let him sit for a year then starts year 2.

My preference though would be to go ILB, i would love to have a 2 header monster at the Backer position much like the 49ers do.

Also i think its really really really unlikely we go QB, at least for this year maybe next but cant see it happening this year unless we win only 6 games or something like that

Wolf6151
10-05-2013, 12:34 AM
maybe TE. OD's contract is coming up. but i guess GG has been playing well and Ryan Griffen looked really good during pre season so probably doesn't happen.

I think they go CB, because im not convinced that KJ stays after his contract is done, JJoe's cap is getting high and even though his improved game by game this season his still not at his best. and our backups are not top CB material so i think you get a guy now let him sit for a year then starts year 2.

My preference though would be to go ILB, i would love to have a 2 header monster at the Backer position much like the 49ers do.

Also i think its really really really unlikely we go QB, at least for this year maybe next but cant see it happening this year unless we win only 6 games or something like that

TE won't happen in the 1st for the reasons you stated.

I agree with everything you said regarding CB, and agree it should be our 1st round pick. In this modern day pass happy NFL a team really needs 3 starting CB's.

I want that 2 headed monster in the middle as well, but I think it can be Cushing and Reed by drafting a stud OLB thus fixing 2 positions with one pick.

Feel the same about QB, very unlikely unless the bottom just drops out on this season and we've got way to much talent for that to happen.

TexansSeminole
10-05-2013, 05:23 AM
An ILB that will fly up draft boards is Christian Jones out of Florida State. Big, fast and versatile. He can rush from the outside and can run with TEs in coverage. He's perfect for our defense.

76Texan
10-05-2013, 12:46 PM
It makes a lot of sense to cut Schaub next year, unless he gets back to top form, which is very doubtful.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/texans-can-escape-schaubs-contract-after-the-season/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

The Texans will save $11M in 2014, $10M in 2015, and $19M in 2016.

If they don't think Yates or Keenum as Schaub's replacement, they should draft a QB high.
If they plan to use one of them, they can look for a QB that falls due to the depth of the class.

Honoring Earl 34
10-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I would throw a guard in the mix .

badboy
10-05-2013, 03:33 PM
You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)
Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.

badboy
10-05-2013, 03:44 PM

On Dix, where are you getting your info? While suspension by coach was "indefinite" probably won't be but a few games per this link http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/23988522/source-alabama-expects-clinton-dix-to-miss-1-3-games

Also: If the loan was made to Clinton-Dix in order to pay for some of the lost items or damage to his vehicle, his biggest error was asking the wrong person in Alabama’s athletic department.
If an athlete suffers a misfortune such as having his or her car or home broken into and robbed, the institution has multiple options to help the student-athlete out. One is the Student Assistance Fund, the combination of the old Student-Athlete Opportunity and Special Assistance Funds. That is money which comes from the NCAA to pay for these types of misfortune or emergency expenses. http://fansided.com/2013/10/04/haha-clinton-dix-suspension-avoided/

badboy
10-05-2013, 04:11 PM

Also i think its really really really unlikely we go QB, at least for this year maybe next but cant see it happening this year unless we win only 6 games or something like thatJoseph's cap is pretty much the same next 3 years: 2013 (29 YOA) $11.25 2014 (30 YOA) $11.25 2015 (31 YOA) $12.25.

So here is a question, if Joseph can return to shutdown corner status, should we extend his contract couple years when he is 32 & 33 and lower his cap as we did Andre's? If so that reduces need for CB. Remember, KJ has a team option for 2014 for $2.9.

bhsman
10-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm an LSU fan so admittedly I'm a little biased here but what do you guys think of Mettenberger? He doesn't come with the athleticism of someone like Boyd but his arm strength is legit and he's been really decisive, especially on 3rd down.

It helps that he has ODB and Juice to throw to (Landry in particular has been insane this year; if not for our WR depth this year I'd want Houston to pick him up instead), though Mett has made some insane throws to get them the ball. Anyone see that third-and-long to Landry in double/triple coverage? Yeesh. :scare:

badboy
10-05-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm an LSU fan so admittedly I'm a little biased here but what do you guys think of Mettenberger? He doesn't come with the athleticism of someone like Boyd but his arm strength is legit and he's been really decisive, especially on 3rd down.

It helps that he has ODB and Juice to throw to (Landry in particular has been insane this year; if not for our WR depth this year I'd want Houston to pick him up instead), though Mett has made some insane throws to get them the ball. Anyone see that third-and-long to Landry in double/triple coverage? Yeesh. :scare:He is really helping himself so far this season but I just can't seem to get excited about him. I will wait him out and see how he does for few more games. I have Murray and McCarron ahead of him. Stats and size are good but when I watched him again today, I went "meh".

ps: I think we now know Miss State now what many thought a few weeks ago.

aussie_texan
10-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Joseph's cap is pretty much the same next 3 years: 2013 (29 YOA) $11.25 2014 (30 YOA) $11.25 2015 (31 YOA) $12.25.

So here is a question, if Joseph can return to shutdown corner status, should we extend his contract couple years when he is 32 & 33 and lower his cap as we did Andre's? If so that reduces need for CB. Remember, KJ has a team option for 2014 for $2.9.

didn't realise its so stagnate but its still quite high considering his play at the moment.
If he returns to his best then in my opinion no doubt you resign him, very hard to find top notch shutdown corners. his the cornerstone of our secondary especially when at his best. Im not optimistic he returns to where he was first year here so I'm probably taking a CB in rd1 for the reasons mentioned before

htownfan32
10-06-2013, 08:49 PM
QB. Please, dear God, let it be a QB.

Texan4Ever
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Best Player Available. Doesn't matter if its on offense or defense we can use ALL the help we can get. Maybe not as a first-round pick but I'm liking what I see from Ra'Shede Hageman he can play DE in a 3-4 or come in as a NT.

Wolf6151
10-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Before today's loss most mocks had us drafting at #14 and with the way this season is going I can see that being a real possibility. If we were drafting in the 12-14 range and all the elite level QB's are gone what would you guys say to a trade out of the 1st round and into the very early 2nd round. I don't know if any team has multiple 2nd round picks next year but I think we could get a very early 2nd along with that teams 1st in 2015, or 2nd and 3rd in 2015. We have multiple holes to fill and need more early round picks.

WolverineFan
10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Before today's loss most mocks had us drafting at #14 and with the way this season is going I can see that being a real possibility. If we were drafting in the 12-14 range and all the elite level QB's are gone what would you guys say to a trade out of the 1st round and into the very early 2nd round. I don't know if any team has multiple 2nd round picks next year but I think we could get a very early 2nd along with that teams 1st in 2015, or 2nd and 3rd in 2015. We have multiple holes to fill and need more early round picks.

If all the QB's are gone then the only way another team would even entertain making that trade-up is if there was an elite-level player still on the board.

In that scenario, screw the trade and draft the elite level player. This team has plenty of holes, but trading back is not always the solution.

Dutchrudder
10-14-2013, 10:57 AM
We got JJ Watt at #11, so it's not impossible to find an impact player at 12. If the QB they want isn't there, then go for one in the 2nd, or trade up to the back of the 1st round and grab someone. Teams at the bottom of the 1st are always willing to trade back.

steelbtexan
10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
We got JJ Watt at #11, so it's not impossible to find an impact player at 12. If the QB they want isn't there, then go for one in the 2nd, or trade up to the back of the 1st round and grab someone. Teams at the bottom of the 1st are always willing to trade back.

Yep Van Noy at 12 and Mettenberger at 25 would be ideal.

Wolf6151
10-16-2013, 03:52 AM
If the season ended today, we'd be drafting #10 overall. Does that change your mind on how to use that 1st round pick, or the now higher picks in successive rounds?

htownfan32
10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
If the season ended today, we'd be drafting #10 overall. Does that change your mind on how to use that 1st round pick, or the now higher picks in successive rounds?

I checked the standings with the whole league on the NFL website and we're 9th from the bottom.

If that is the order of picks, it would be

Tampa Bay: (Teddy Bridgewater)
New York Giants: (Jadaveon Clowney, they need pass rush help)
Jacksonville: (Tajh Boyd)
Washington: (Not a Quarterback)
Pittsburgh: (Probably not a Quarterback)
Minnesota: (Brett Hundley)
Atlanta: (Not a Quarterback)
Oakland: (Possibly a Quarterback)
Houston:??????

badboy
10-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Interesting question, ESPN's Rang and Brugler have the following:

Rang : Jags at # 12 selecting Jason Verrett corner & Boyd going # 15 with Zack @ #17

Brugler has Jags selecting Watkins WR and Boyd @ #15.

Depending on how each team drafted I'd go Boyd if there but would trade down into first and get solid player ( we need many) and get QB later. Also, I want to see how Keenum does. I would be happy with Murray or McCarron in second especially if I could land say HaHa Dix in first to replace Manning who is out this season or say Marqise Lee and say an Olineman with extra 2nd

Wolf6151
10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
@BB, I'm thinking about trading down in the first as well. I'd go for Marcus Roberson in the mid 20's and then take Aaron Murray in the early 2nd and then the best available OT or OLB with the other 2nd rounder. Trades are always fun to contemplate but the hard part is finding a trade partner. Who's going to want to trade up that high, and for what player?

leebigeztx
10-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Andrew Luck is about to win the division in his 2nd. If you don't have a guy at qb close to his talent,you won't ever win the division. The answer is that simple.

Corrosion
10-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.

Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)

badboy
10-18-2013, 09:56 AM
@BB, I'm thinking about trading down in the first as well. I'd go for Marcus Roberson in the mid 20's and then take Aaron Murray in the early 2nd and then the best available OT or OLB with the other 2nd rounder. Trades are always fun to contemplate but the hard part is finding a trade partner. Who's going to want to trade up that high, and for what player?Exactly but Browns do have two firsts a second and two thirds so could be a partner. Maybe they are still interested in Tate (if they ever were?). Ric SMith should be able to work something there if he wants to.

badboy
10-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)This is what excites me in mocking. Last week I watched several QBs and had this reaction:

McCarron solid and steady but weak opponent.

Boyd not as good as I wanted but still second best QB playing against good team.

Manziel best QB I watched, just kept coming & beat a good team. Height is only disadvantage for me.

Morris just does not do anything for me. I watched him last night (UNC) and went nuh uh.

Murray did not watch but really like him.

Mettenburger did nothing to move me so far this season.

Who would I pick IF Keenum flops? Manziel is too risky for us. If I could get McCarron in third over Murray in second, that would give the Alabama QB the edge. I think Bama destroys Arkansas.

NCTexan
10-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Morris just does not do anything for me. I watched him last night (UNC) and went nuh uh.

Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)

badboy
10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)how did you think Tre Boston did last night? I saw his interception but announcers said that he had "messed up earlier" and I think it led to a TD. Do you think he can play corner at nickle? I am looking for DBs that can play CB and Safety. I still have Ahmad Black ahead of him.

NCTexan
10-18-2013, 12:47 PM
how did you think Tre Boston did last night? I saw his interception but announcers said that he had "messed up earlier" and I think it led to a TD. Do you think he can play corner at nickle? I am looking for DBs that can play CB and Safety. I still have Ahmad Black ahead of him.

Tre Boston is interesting. Last season he was not impressive at all, a total JAG. This season something seems to have clicked. I thought he played a strong game last night, and he was one of the few bright spots against ECU. He's all over the field making plays.

I'd have to go back and watch the game again to see where he messed up.

He doesn't play man cover a lot so I can't comment on his corner skill. I haven't noticed it much this year and so I'm not real comfortable commenting on that. I know in years past he played some corner, and I think he has some this year but I need to go back and watch.

TexansSeminole
10-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)

Yeah, I never was big on Morris. Didn't understand the hype I was hearing about him earlier in the season. I like the UNC QB more.
I'm glad Miami won though (sorry) so that they have a better chance at being undefeated when they show up in Doak.

leebigeztx
10-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)

Boyd is gonna be the 2nd qb taken once the workouts start. Hundley is a smokescreen king,mariotta needs another year,manziel will hae his leadership questioned and his ability to read and thrw accuratley.

leebigeztx
10-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Boyd is gonna be the 2nd qb taken once the workouts start. Hundley is a smokescreen king,mariotta needs another year,manziel will hae his leadership questioned and his ability to read and thrw accuratley.

Texian
10-20-2013, 12:07 PM
A good website that updates draft positions weekly:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

steelbtexan
10-20-2013, 12:13 PM
McCarron or Murray

Wolf6151
10-21-2013, 02:04 AM
As of 10-20-13 we are 2-5 and currently in the 5th spot if the draft were held today. I like what Case showed today but I'd need to see alot more before QB was removed from our 1st or 2nd round draft need list. We are also getting into the Bridgewater, Hundley, and Mariota pick territory, where they are serious considerations.

I know the trade value charts aren't written in stone but they're the best guide we've got for now. That #5 pick is worth 1700 points. If we could find a trade partner, we might be able to trade down to the early 20's and pick up a high 2nd and high 3rd in compensation, or a high 2nd and a 2nd in 2015. We've got alot of holes to fill....

As for SteelB's question, I'll take Murray over McCarron but only if we wait until the 2nd round to select a QB. McCarron does have that smoking hot girlfriend though that I assume would move to Houston with him, so that could be a consideration.

Corrosion
10-21-2013, 05:52 AM
As of 10-20-13 we are 2-5 and currently in the 5th spot if the draft were held today. I like what Case showed today but I'd need to see alot more before QB was removed from our 1st or 2nd round draft need list. We are also getting into the Bridgewater, Hundley, and Mariota pick territory, where they are serious considerations.

Of those three , the only one I like is Bridgewater .... think Hundley needs another year or two and Mariota .... just isn't accurate enough.

I know the trade value charts aren't written in stone but they're the best guide we've got for now. That #5 pick is worth 1700 points. If we could find a trade partner, we might be able to trade down to the early 20's and pick up a high 2nd and high 3rd in compensation, or a high 2nd and a 2nd in 2015. We've got alot of holes to fill....

Not only do you have to think about trading back , you have to consider trading up to get your guy at QB , even if its making the move to #1.

As for SteelB's question, I'll take Murray over McCarron but only if we wait until the 2nd round to select a QB. McCarron does have that smoking hot girlfriend though that I assume would move to Houston with him, so that could be a consideration.

Same here , I prefer Murray over McCarron and think either could be had in the second assuming the underclassmen thought to be taken earlier all declare. If one or more stays in school another year , that could change the complexion of the draft.

WolverineFan
10-21-2013, 03:16 PM
I really like Hundley, but he needs to go back for another year. Just too raw. I would take Bridgewater, but he won't be there at #5. I'm not touching Mariotta or Manziel.

Honestly, if we're picking #5, I see 2 options.

1. Anthony Barr - OLB, UCLA
2. Jake Matthews - OT, Texas A&M

Barr is a freak at OLB and we desperately need the pass rush help. I assume he will be gone so I take a Jake Matthews. If he's gone at #5, then I take Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan). He has experience in a zone system and could play either OT position.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
10-21-2013, 07:43 PM
While Id love to see Jake Matthews taken, I feel like we will be more in the Ha-HA Clinton Dix range specially since hes been reinstated.

Wolf6151
10-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I really like Hundley, but he needs to go back for another year. Just too raw. I would take Bridgewater, but he won't be there at #5. I'm not touching Mariotta or Manziel.

Honestly, if we're picking #5, I see 2 options.

1. Anthony Barr - OLB, UCLA
2. Jake Matthews - OT, Texas A&M

Barr is a freak at OLB and we desperately need the pass rush help. I assume he will be gone so I take a Jake Matthews. If he's gone at #5, then I take Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan). He has experience in a zone system and could play either OT position.

Curious, what do you have against Mariota? I think a good OT can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, way to early for a RT, and completely agree with you on Barr. Barr would free us up to move Reed to ILB alongside Cushing and provide a pass rush at the same time. If we're drafting in the top 5 then we should have a good shot at Barr.

Mercilus, Cushing, Reed, Barr would make a very good starting LB corp.. We'd need some depth but we've still got Tuggle, Mays, and Braman. They aren't great but they're worth keeping around for another year because we don't have enough draft picks to fix everything in one offseason.

I can't see Clinton-Dix being taken that high. When was the last time a Safety was taken in the top 5? He might have been reinstated but I think the Texans might be leery of players with red flags after today (Montgomery, Jefferson, Wood).

Corrosion
10-22-2013, 01:43 AM
really cant make up my mind where to use the #1 ... They have been exposed at so many positions this year. UgH I change my mind every other minute.

The obvious considerations - QB , OLB , RT , ILB ...

Schaub must go , Yates isn't the answer & the jury is still out on Keenum.

Newton is a turnstile. #1 might be high for a RT.

Cushing is snakebit and the entire defense goes to sh!t when he isn't on the field. Need another dynamic athlete inside.

Reed & Mercilus .... aren't getting to the QB regular enough.

Will Antonio Smith be back ?!?

Wade Smith shouldn't be resigned. #1 would be high for anything but an exceptional guard.

Ed Reed is a thief , someone call Detroit and get Glover Quin back!!

Sure could use a big nasty NT to fix the interior of that defense.

Cornerback .... J.Jo is underperforming and due $14m while KJax becomes a FA.

Wolf6151
10-22-2013, 01:55 AM
really cant make up my mind where to use the #1 ... They have been exposed at so many positions this year. UgH I change my mind every other minute.

The obvious considerations - QB , OLB , RT , ILB ...

Schaub must go , Yates isn't the answer & the jury is still out on Keenum.

Newton is a turnstile. #1 might be high for a RT.

Cushing is snakebit and the entire defense goes to sh!t when he isn't on the field. Need another dynamic athlete inside.

Reed & Mercilus .... aren't getting to the QB regular enough.

Will Antonio Smith be back ?!?

Wade Smith shouldn't be resigned. #1 would be high for anything but an exceptional guard.

Ed Reed is a thief , someone call Detroit and get Glover Quin back!!

Sure could use a big nasty NT to fix the interior of that defense.

Cornerback .... J.Jo is underperforming and due $14m while KJax becomes a FA.

LOL, That's me as well, I keep changing my mind.

I know it's easier said than done but with so many holes on the team and an expectant high pick, I think we have to trade down and pick up extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. Also as much as I want to use the 1st pick on a CB, if we re-sign KJ then we'll have our starting CB's locked up for a couple more years and might just have to forego a CB in this draft because of so many needs elsewhere.

Scooter
10-22-2013, 07:14 AM
IMO there are two extreme holes on this team - linebacker and offensive line (mostly right tackle). i'd use the first four picks on those positions unless a BPA demands otherwise. each is the heart of their respective schemes, and yet the weakest links in regards to talent. we MUST get better at left guard and right tackle, and with any LB not named cushing (who it appears will be back next season).

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 09:10 AM
I think a dynamic edge rusher would fix a lot of problems. We need a strongside OLB that can get pressure and help disrupt the opposition. We also need that guy to take away some attention from Watt so he can do the same. I think secondary players can be found later in the draft, but if there's a great edge rusher available when we pick in the 1st, I'd go that route. It would go a long way towards fixing the defense. ILB is a much lower priority to me, I think you could get a good one in the 4th.

Corrosion
10-22-2013, 09:23 AM
IMO there are two extreme holes on this team - linebacker and offensive line (mostly right tackle). i'd use the first four picks on those positions unless a BPA demands otherwise. each is the heart of their respective schemes, and yet the weakest links in regards to talent. we MUST get better at left guard and right tackle, and with any LB not named cushing (who it appears will be back next season).

No quarterback ?! Do you think Keenum is the long term solution that gives you a shot at winning a superbowl ?! He played a solid game against KC but Im still not sold that he's the solution.

I think a dynamic edge rusher would fix a lot of problems. We need a strongside OLB that can get pressure and help disrupt the opposition. We also need that guy to take away some attention from Watt so he can do the same. I think secondary players can be found later in the draft, but if there's a great edge rusher available when we pick in the 1st, I'd go that route. It would go a long way towards fixing the defense. ILB is a much lower priority to me, I think you could get a good one in the 4th.

Keenum .... Or is it that since this is such a QB rich draft , you get one in the 2nd round - McCarron or Murray ?

I get the idea behind both of your choices , just have to wonder if not taking a QB sets you back a year or three ..... Its going to take time for one to develop .... Its probably wise to get that guy first and fill the other holes with later picks , via FA or in the next draft.

Scooter
10-22-2013, 09:44 AM
No quarterback ?! Do you think Keenum is the long term solution that gives you a shot at winning a superbowl ?! He played a solid game against KC but Im still not sold that he's the solution.

i dont know. right now i say keenum is our guy. i absolutely think he has what it takes to be our quarterback, and could be a great one, but only time will tell. as of right now (assuming kubiak doesnt revert back to schaub), i think we are very well off at quarterback. to be honest, i think that we can win it all with a healthy schaub if those two areas are addressed, keenum being a stud as i predict it is just a bonus.

kubiak's offense is predicated on a symbiotic offensive line. wade's defense is wholly dependent on it's linebackers. we have all-world talent on this team in every area but the ones that matter. we've been grabbing players for both with a ton of failures, including a pair of OLB busts this year. to me it really doesnt matter what else we do, if we dont address the offensive line and linebackers we wont be successful.

Texian
10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
As of today, October 22, 2013 The Texans have the 5th pick in the 2014 Draft:

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 10:39 AM
As of today, October 22, 2013 The Texans have the 5th pick in the 2014 Draft:

That sure would be nice, but we play the Jags twice, and unless we intentionally lose, I think we are at least a 4 win team this year. We also play the Raiders, who will be hard to lose to. I think we will be picking in the 8-12 spot this year, which is just a bit out of reach of the top QBs and OTs.

steelbtexan
10-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Of those three , the only one I like is Bridgewater .... think Hundley needs another year or two and Mariota .... just isn't accurate enough.

Not only do you have to think about trading back , you have to consider trading up to get your guy at QB , even if its making the move to #1.

Same here , I prefer Murray over McCarron and think either could be had in the second assuming the underclassmen thought to be taken earlier all declare. If one or more stays in school another year , that could change the complexion of the draft.

If Gary lets Keenum play out the yr and Case proves he can be the guy and the Texans end up picking in the 10-15 range. (Which is where they probably where they will be picking) I would try to trade down. But If that's not possible my picks would be

Rd.1 Cameron Erving, Has a nasty streak can play RT/LT former DT, he absolutely dominated Beasley last Saturday
Rd.2 Van Noy or Murphy, and I would trade back into the bottom end of the 1st to get them. Best pass russhers in the draft.
Rd. 4 Shane Skov, Smart instinctive ILB would provide depth behind Cushing and Reed after Reed's moved inside.
Rd.5 Best Ol available, provided that he was BPA.

There are too many things wrong with the Texans roster to fix everything in one yr. So concentrate on fixing the OL and LB's this yr and move on to DL and DB's next yr. It's kinda sad that after 8 yrs of roster building that BoB/Rick/Gary's team has so many holes and so little depth.

Of course if Keenum isn't the guy then QB becomes priority #1. McCarron would be my pick of the late 1st early 2nd rd guys. He's got size, arm strength, good enough mobility and plays well under pressure. I look at the fact that he has won NC's as a plus. Not as he played with great talent so he must not be that good. Somebody had to lead that team and MCarron has done a great job. IMHO

beerlover
10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
predict the 13th spot & another Watt like impact player :swatter:

eriadoc
10-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't like this year's crop of QBs, to be honest. I think a couple of them could pan out to be very good, but I don't see a top end high talent guy like Luck, for instance. I think whoever comes out this year will need a little seasoning. Murray could be the best of the bunch of he were given the right opportunity, but he won't get it because he's 6' tall. Not sold on Boyd, not sold on Bridgewater. Haven't seen enough of Mariota yet, though. If the Texans pick high in the draft, I would rather they look at the top of the 2nd rd for a QB.

One guy that I believe will end up going higher than people think right now, and one I wouldn't mind the Texans going after, is Tim Flanders. I know it's not one of the team's glaring weaknesses (yet), but Tate's leaving and I'm not 100% sold that Foster is not another example of the Larry Johnson syndrome. If it turns out that Keenum plays out the string well, then maybe go QB in the 2nd or even 3rd, with a couple OL in the first 4 rounds.

Crazy, I know, but I like Flanders. Plus, we could nickname him Ned. :)

mussop
10-27-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't like this year's crop of QBs, to be honest. I think a couple of them could pan out to be very good, but I don't see a top end high talent guy like Luck, for instance. I think whoever comes out this year will need a little seasoning.

I agree but I love Manzel. I know a lot of people are down on him but he is the only QB that has a chance to make it to our pick that I wouldn't pass up.

As far as what position I think we should go after with iour first rounder, give me Manzel or Best.Defensive.Player.Available.

On a side note. Why does everyone here just ignore the DT position? A lot of this defensive problems could be masked if we had a quality DT that could comand double teams and push the pocket.

Texian
10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
If the draft were today I would take Johnny Manziel if he comes out and is available. Manziel is a cross between Fran Takenton and Bret Farve.

If Manziel is not available I would take Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford.

steelbtexan
10-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Nix or Mack

badboy
10-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Nix or MackDon't over look Ryan Carrether from Ark St who could be available later in draft and compare favorably to Nix. I love Nix but if I could get a run plugger to collapse pocket and use first elsewhere, that is way I'm going. He has lost weight and really is cranking it up.

steelbtexan
10-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Don't over look Ryan Carrether from Ark St who could be available later in draft and compare favorably to Nix. I love Nix but if I could get a run plugger to collapse pocket and use first elsewhere, that is way I'm going. He has lost weight and really is cranking it up.

This is good news, Carrethers has gotten better this yr? He has always had lack of stamina issues. He definitely has talent. I didn't watch him this yr. I did see some of him last yr. He was impressive.

If he has gotten better I wouldn't wait until the 3rd for him. I would pick him in the 2nd. Big men that can move are hard to find. Do you have any links for this yr for him?

Wolf6151
10-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Without winning or losing during our bye week, we have moved down a couple spots to #7.

Texian
10-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Without winning or losing during our bye week, we have moved down a couple spots to #7.

October 29th, = 8th

Texian
10-29-2013, 07:21 AM

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

otisbean
10-29-2013, 09:06 AM
If the draft were today I would take Johnny Manziel if he comes out and is available. Manziel is a cross between Fran Takenton and Bret Farve.

If Manziel is not available I would take Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford.

Agreed on Manziel, he's a pit bull playing QB.

Rey
10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Nix for me.

I like manziel though. There are some concerns but if kubiak is coach I think he could help him out a lot. And he'd give this team a needed edge.

eriadoc
10-29-2013, 10:17 AM
On a side note. Why does everyone here just ignore the DT position?

Because we can be taught. We excel at pattern recognition. The Texans routinely ignore the DT position, so predicting it in a mock draft is very likely a wrong pick.

bhsman
10-29-2013, 10:19 AM
A little more academic than anything, now that we've dropped to #7/8th overall, but BattleRedBlog (http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/10/28/5039284/2014-nfl-draft-mid-season-mock-draft) had a mock of the first round. The first four picks were QBs (Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, and Hundley), followed by the Texans took Clowney at #5 overall before trading back into the tail end of the first for Stephen Morris out of Miami.

I'm stilling riding the irrational Manziel draft crush wave, but I wouldn't mind Morris (though perhaps without trading up so much to get him). Getting Clowney and pairing him with Watt would be a little ridiculous.

NCTexan
10-29-2013, 10:21 AM
A little more academic than anything, now that we've dropped to #7/8th overall, but BattleRedBlog (http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/10/28/5039284/2014-nfl-draft-mid-season-mock-draft) had a mock of the first round. The first four picks were QBs (Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, and Hundley), followed by the Texans took Clowney at #5 overall before trading back into the tail end of the first for Stephen Morris out of Miami.

I'm stilling riding the irrational Manziel draft crush wave, but I wouldn't mind Morris (though perhaps without trading up so much to get him). Getting Clowney and pairing him with Watt would be a little ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

That's how I feel about Morris. Kid should not be taken in the first round. Third, sure. But every time I watch Miami I come away thinking about how many throws he just misses.

htownfan32
10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
If we're looking for later round QBs, we might as well go with Murray in the 3rd or develop Mannion after nabbing him in the 4th or 5th.

If we're going QB in the first round, it has to be Hundley or Manziel. Both are not immediate starters because Hundley is very raw and Manziel needs to work on being a pocket passer more (which is why I'd like him to stay one more year under Sumlin, but it's not happening). I'm not impressed by Boyd anymore and Mariota... well, Chip Kelly's going to want him.

Because I don't think we go QB in the first round (unless Keenum happens to suck it up for the rest of the season or something) I'd like us to get Nix from ND or Ha-Ha Dix out of Bama. Those would be impact defensive players. If we could get Clowney I would flip **** too.

Wolf6151
10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
October 29th, = 8th

This is where I got my order.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2014.php

Regardless, I think we finish the season somewhere in the 10-12 range.

Texian
10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
This is where I got my order.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2014.php

Regardless, I think we finish the season somewhere in the 10-12 range.

I'd go with GBN because he factors in SOS.

badboy
10-29-2013, 05:15 PM
This is good news, Carrethers has gotten better this yr? He has always had lack of stamina issues. He definitely has talent. I didn't watch him this yr. I did see some of him last yr. He was impressive.

If he has gotten better I wouldn't wait until the 3rd for him. I would pick him in the 2nd. Big men that can move are hard to find. Do you have any links for this yr for him?Of interest:
Carrethers made 16 tackles in a loss to Louisiana-Lafayette. For a linebacker or a safety, that would be a high total, but not unheard of. For a 330-pound defensive tackle, it's positively outrageous. Carrethers (6-foot-2, 330 pounds) was credited with six solo stops and 10 assists for the Red Wolves. For an interior defensive lineman, 16 tackles typically represents a month or more of production.

By comparison, Tennessee nose guard Daniel McCullers, one of the nation's most highly regarded draft prospects at the position, has made 24 tackles in his eight games this season..
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000271315/article/ryan-carrethers-posts-monster-game-for-arkansas-state

Carrethers started every game as junior in 2012, finishing the season with a career-best 68 tackles that were the sixth most on the team and the most by an A-State interior defensive lineman since Jon Bradley recorded 68 as well in 2002. He averaged 5.2 tackles per game to rank tied for 39th in the Sun Belt, but ahead of all other interior defensive linemen in the league.

http://www.kait8.com/story/22843520/ryan-carrethers-on-lombardi-award-watch-list

http://www.kait8.com/story/22378588/ryan-carrethers-makes-2013-freaks-list

What got my attention Steel, was a heads up I received prior to season indicating that Carrethers had decided to go after the NFL. Like most kids he had talked about it but had not committed. He met with coach and was put on rigid diet losing about 25 lbs to apprx 332. I lost sight of him until recently deciding Mitchell is not the answer and only two Nose's stood out. Nix and...Carrethers. Will follow him rest of season. Anyone remember Mister Cobble whom I mocked last two seasons and he kept returning to school? I was able to watch him recently and he is no longer on my radar. Same with DaQuan Jones who was non factor Saturday.

Hervoyel
10-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I'd like to see the Texans spend that first round pick on the best OL prospect they can find. I miss the days of Munchak, Matthews, and "Dino" Steinkuhler. I want to see the Texans build an offensive line that can hold the fort down for a decade.

If Keenum lights it up and we appear to have our QB I'd like to use that first pick on the OL. It will have been 6 drafts since we took Duane Brown in the first. It's time to do the line right for a change.

aussie_texan
10-29-2013, 09:12 PM
walter has a drafting Mike Evans in his latest mock. that would certainly be a surprise. i dont think it happens though

Scooter
10-30-2013, 12:09 AM
I'd like to see the Texans spend that first round pick on the best OL prospect they can find. I miss the days of Munchak, Matthews, and "Dino" Steinkuhler. I want to see the Texans build an offensive line that can hold the fort down for a decade.

a million times yes.

badboy
10-30-2013, 09:12 AM
walter has a drafting Mike Evans in his latest mock. that would certainly be a surprise. i dont think it happens thoughDid not know that. I have Evans on my current board and have discussed with Beerlover and Rmartin65. Evans is over 6'5" 225 and apprx 4.58 speed. 1100 yards with 23 per catch. I like giving Keenum another target and Evans would also reduced concern about TE as he plays like one. Very good & willing blocker & runs A&M's routes well. A red shirt soph who imo will come out if Manziel does. From Galveston, he just turned 20 and can get much better. AJ/Posey/Hopkins and Evans. :kingkong:

bhsman
10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Evans in the first, Manziel in the second? :thisbig:

beerlover
10-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Evans in the first, Manziel in the second? :thisbig:

Trade back just a few spots then take Evans, use pick acquired w/2nd to move back into 1st for Manziel :ahhaha:

bhsman
10-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Trade back just a few spots then take Evans, use pick acquired w/2nd to move back into 1st for Manziel :ahhaha:

It'd be like a reverse Luck-Fleener situation. Everybody wins: everyone in the media can continue to complain that Evans bails out Manziel too much and we get an awesome QB/WR connection.

Corrosion
10-30-2013, 11:34 PM

I don't know about that , Evans may end up being a top 10 pick ....

I would love to have the guy but this team has so damn many holes and that list of holes likely grows when the season ends too. Ninja & Wade Smith expire , I could see several guy's cut - OD , Manning , Ed Reed then you have a couple guy's who will become FA's who will be looking for a payday - Tate , KJax and you have the QB situation .... what a freaking mess.

steelbtexan
10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't know about that , Evans may end up being a top 10 pick ....

I would love to have the guy but this team has so damn many holes and that list of holes likely grows when the season ends too. Ninja & Wade Smith expire , I could see several guy's cut - OD , Manning , Ed Reed then you have a couple guy's who will become FA's who will be looking for a payday - Tate , KJax and you have the QB situation .... what a freaking mess.

Kinda sad after 8 yrs.

How did they get in this situation?

aussie_texan
10-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Did not know that. I have Evans on my current board and have discussed with Beerlover and Rmartin65. Evans is over 6'5" 225 and apprx 4.58 speed. 1100 yards with 23 per catch. I like giving Keenum another target and Evans would also reduced concern about TE as he plays like one. Very good & willing blocker & runs A&M's routes well. A red shirt soph who imo will come out if Manziel does. From Galveston, he just turned 20 and can get much better. AJ/Posey/Hopkins and Evans. :kingkong:

what a receiving core!!! wouldnt have to draft another WR for 10 years!!!

posey is really underrated by the way. hopefully with keenum and a few more plays in the spread he should get his fair go, i want to see him on the park more because he could develop into a top WR.

aussie_texan
10-30-2013, 11:52 PM

now your talking !!!

htownfan32
10-31-2013, 12:09 AM
If we got both Evans and Manziel I'd probably be an insufferable douche, just lettin' y'all know :)

Corrosion
10-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Kinda sad after 8 yrs.

How did they get in this situation?

Well I think it boils down to one position failing us this year - QB. Without that , we probably don't have all those other issues exposed.

The team spent big $$$ just a couple offseasons ago to fill holes on the back end of the defense and make a good team a contender .... then the QB position falls apart in the year most expected them to make that deep run in the playoffs.

If Schaub performs like he did in 2010 and 2011 .... things probably seem a lot different than right now.

beerlover
10-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Well I think it boils down to one position failing us this year - QB. Without that , we probably don't have all those other issues exposed.

The team spent big $$$ just a couple offseasons ago to fill holes on the back end of the defense and make a good team a contender .... then the QB position falls apart in the year most expected them to make that deep run in the playoffs.

If Schaub performs like he did in 2010 and 2011 .... things probably seem a lot different than right now.

Also you lose Mario Williams then Connor Barwin as your DE's, paired with Cushing going down back to back seasons. Swapping out over rated Ed Reed with under appreciated Glover Quin doesn't help things either :gun:

leebigeztx
10-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Also you lose Mario Williams then Connor Barwin as your DE's, paired with Cushing going down back to back seasons. Swapping out over rated Ed Reed with under appreciated Glover Quin doesn't help things either :gun:

Wait,I thought mario couldn't play or is overrated.

beerlover
10-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Wait,I thought mario couldn't play or is overrated.

Bills are not all that bad but still Mario Williams value to this franchise should have been worth far more & he would be a bigger piece of the solution than in Buffalo given Texans were on a playoff run. Buffalo offered him stupid money for sure but could have been more justified staying in Houston all things being equal. Makes me wonder what JJ Watt's price tag will be? 150 million :mariopalm:

Wolf6151
10-31-2013, 01:35 AM
Hypothetical situation, if we end up in the 12th spot in the draft and trade down to around 20-21 we should be able to pick up a mid 2nd round pick as compensation. This would help us alot with being able to fill another team hole with high quality talent. Would you guys support such a trade down, and are there any teams that you can realistically think of that would trade up with us? Any teams with multiple 2nd round picks? Maybe someone going after a QB that falls or Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, possibly Anthony Barr etc...

bhsman
10-31-2013, 01:46 AM
Yeah, the front office seemingly did about all it could to fix things, there was just a bunch of bad luck involved, from Cush being injured at around the same point, Schaub just coming apart, retaining talented players at the expense of guys like Winston and allowing Newton to start, who, in turn, doesn't develop...

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Only one team can win it all every year, and mostly on the strength of having the least bad luck.

Trail.Blazr
10-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Odds are this not playing out.

We HAVE to go for a QB. Only exception being Case proves all the Case lovers right! Let's hope :)

If not, I would want to go after Manziel.

Simply put, QB has to be the centerpiece of this team moving forward. NFL dictates it, not me.

Now, if Case did prove exceptional, I'd see that as a free Win and would be willing to do what it took to trade up for Clowney. Hands down this guy is the best player in the draft!

No gamble. Give up some picks to make it happen. This guy is a man amongst boys. I remember being high on Julius Peppers and hating the C*** pick. I like Clowney twice as much. This guy is legit.

badboy
10-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Odds are this not playing out.

We HAVE to go for a QB. Only exception being Case proves all the Case lovers right! Let's hope :)

If not, I would want to go after Manziel.

Simply put, QB has to be the centerpiece of this team moving forward. NFL dictates it, not me.

Now, if Case did prove exceptional, I'd see that as a free Win and would be willing to do what it took to trade up for Clowney. Hands down this guy is the best player in the draft!

No gamble. Give up some picks to make it happen. This guy is a man amongst boys. I remember being high on Julius Peppers and hating the C*** pick. I like Clowney twice as much. This guy is legit.Clowney has not been best until last Saturday.

Corrosion
10-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Hypothetical situation, if we end up in the 12th spot in the draft and trade down to around 20-21 we should be able to pick up a mid 2nd round pick as compensation. This would help us alot with being able to fill another team hole with high quality talent. Would you guys support such a trade down, and are there any teams that you can realistically think of that would trade up with us? Any teams with multiple 2nd round picks? Maybe someone going after a QB that falls or Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, possibly Anthony Barr etc...

For me , it would really depend upon who was left on the board at the time.

If Anthony Barr , Jake Matthews or one of the top QB's falls (pending Keenum's performance) ... Im gonna use the pick. Couple other guy's I'd seriously consider taking too - CJ Mosley & Louis Nix come to mind. You'd have to really compensate me well to pass on landing one of them.

If I can get an impact player at ILB , OLB , OT , DE or NT its going to be really difficult to move out of that slot.

Yeah, the front office seemingly did about all it could to fix things, there was just a bunch of bad luck involved, from Cush being injured at around the same point, Schaub just coming apart, retaining talented players at the expense of guys like Winston and allowing Newton to start, who, in turn, doesn't develop...

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Only one team can win it all every year, and mostly on the strength of having the least bad luck.

Yeah , it just seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong for this team.
I don't think any of us expected Schaub to fall as far as he has. He was just abysmal .... I expected him to at least make good decisions with the ball.

Ed Reed was a mistake , shoulda kept Quin. He's been outplayed by Shiloh Keo.

They drafted two OLB's both of whom look like busts in hindsight.

Cushing and OD being injured ....

Injuries to both OL they drafted ..... and Newton playing poorly.

Everything they did blew up in their faces ..... http://rabbittalk.com/images/smilies/cz01.gif

eriadoc
10-31-2013, 11:00 AM

If Keenum lights it up and we appear to have our QB I'd like to use that first pick on the OL. It will have been 6 drafts since we took Duane Brown in the first. It's time to do the line right for a change.

This should be on every page of the thread. The Texans could spend their first round picks on OL and DL for the next ten years and I might be happy. Win the trenches and everyone else benefits.

jaayteetx
10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Without big bodies up front to dominate, it don't matter...OL please.

steelbtexan
10-31-2013, 11:24 AM
For me , it would really depend upon who was left on the board at the time.

If Anthony Barr , Jake Matthews or one of the top QB's falls (pending Keenum's performance) ... Im gonna use the pick. Couple other guy's I'd seriously consider taking too - CJ Mosley & Louis Nix come to mind. You'd have to really compensate me well to pass on landing one of them.

If I can get an impact player at ILB , OLB , OT , DE or NT its going to be really difficult to move out of that slot.

Yeah , it just seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong for this team.
I don't think any of us expected Schaub to fall as far as he has. He was just abysmal .... I expected him to at least make good decisions with the ball.

Ed Reed was a mistake , shoulda kept Quin. He's been outplayed by Shiloh Keo.

They drafted two OLB's both of whom look like busts in hindsight.

Cushing and OD being injured ....

Injuries to both OL they drafted ..... and Newton playing poorly.

Everything they did blew up in their faces ..... http://rabbittalk.com/images/smilies/cz01.gif

Agreed,

But I can remember when C-N-D warned us about Schab's foot. If C-N-D can figure out the extent of Schaub's foot injury with not nearly as much info as the Texans team docs. Surely you would think Rick/Gary would have a contingency plan in place. Why they didn't baffles me.

Poor drafting by Rick/Gary/Wade and co this yr. Until the Texans find a NT that can command double teams, all of the Texans ILB's are in jeopardy of getting hurt/steamrolled.

Quessenberry was plain bad luck, but drafting an injured Williams in the 3rd was a mistake that could've been forecasted. Every time I watch the Packers and see Bahktiari (SP?) knowing he was picked in the 5th rd and wtching him do a good job blocking Allen/Peppers/Ansah it makes me wish we had the Packers GM.

badboy
10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
This should be on every page of the thread. The Texans could spend their first round picks on OL and DL for the next ten years and I might be happy. Win the trenches and everyone else benefits.

While I too watch the trenches, good corners are also important, especially with a passing QB that needs only 3 seconds to release. If Keenum is THAT guy and gets the ball out, our OL should be much better and that decreases need for high pick for line. True that Wade Smith & Myers are not playing lights out, they were cheap adequate players that did not cost much. Hopefully Jones should be ready to replace at center in 2014. Myers' guarantee is paid this season and we can save by cutting him. Brandon Brooks 13th pick in 3rd starting RG and DQ appears to be heir apparent at LG in 2014. Quessenbury was a 6th. I can see why Texans lean toward later rounds for O line.

badboy
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Agreed,

But I can remember when C-N-D warned us about Schab's foot. If C-N-D can figure out the extent of Schaub's foot injury with not nearly as much info as the Texans team docs. Surely you would think Rick/Gary would have a contingency plan in place. Why they didn't baffles me.

Poor drafting by Rick/Gary/Wade and co this yr. Until the Texans find a NT that can command double teams, all of the Texans ILB's are in jeopardy of getting hurt/steamrolled.

Quessenberry was plain bad luck, but drafting an injured Williams in the 3rd was a mistake that could've been forecasted. Every time I watch the Packers and see Bahktiari (SP?) knowing he was picked in the 5th rd and wtching him do a good job blocking Allen/Peppers/Ansah it makes me wish we had the Packers GM.To be fair you keep refering to Brennan Williams labrum injury which was resolved. He is on IR due to different injury & that needs to be noted. He is not only one injured this year. :foottap: lol

Trail.Blazr
10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Clowney has not been best until last Saturday.

You can throw out this season if you like and Clowney is still all that and a big bag of chips. You gotta see him play.

steelbtexan
10-31-2013, 02:42 PM
To be fair you keep refering to Brennan Williams labrum injury which was resolved. He is on IR due to different injury & that needs to be noted. He is not only one injured this year. :foottap: lol

The Texas Dr.'s should be able to tell if a prospective player needs microfracture surgery. There are signs that should be obvious on an MRI.

The Texans should run MRI's on all potential draft picks in the first 3 rds. IMHO

badboy
10-31-2013, 03:05 PM
The Texas Dr.'s should be able to tell if a prospective player needs microfracture surgery. There are signs that should be obvious on an MRI.

The Texans should run MRI's on all potential draft picks in the first 3 rds. IMHOOK. You are still confused, Williams injured his shoulder labrum late October 2012 in college. He healed. At draft in April 2013 this was the news :

With the 89th pick Brennan Williams
The Houston Texans have selected Brennan Williams, offensive tackle from North Carolina. Williams had a labrum injury that ended his season in 2012 and is almost back to 100% strength. http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-draftbrennan-williams/

Then: in May 11 2013 as a Texan Williams hurt knee and was placed on PUP until training camp. He did play in last preseason game but was then placed on IR & underwent micro surgery for knee. There was no need for MRI at draft as he was not injured until later.
http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/9/6/4701284/houston-texans-injuries-david-quessenberry-and-brennan-williams-have

Hope this clears it for you.

Corrosion
10-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Agreed,

The Texans should run MRI's on all potential draft picks in the first 3 rds. IMHO

With as many times as the Texans medical staff has blown it , over the course of a decade thru two GM's & Coaches , I really have to wonder about them.

I get the idea that they gave Schaub an all clear ... then why would they have a contingency plan ?? Schaub was healthy at the end of the season and into the playoffs ....

The evidence sure leads me to believe this is the case .....

They have been wrong time and again ..... Boselli , DD , Jopru .... the list goes on and on and on. Bad medical advice.

You can throw out this season if you like and Clowney is still all that and a big bag of chips. You gotta see him play.

All world skills .... with a moped motor.

Trail.Blazr
11-01-2013, 06:47 AM
All world skills .... with a moped motor.

Haha. I'll concede not having seen enough to argue this point, but didn't get that from the few games I've watched.

badboy
11-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Haha. I'll concede not having seen enough to argue this point, but didn't get that from the few games I've watched.
His coach recently made comments that Clowney was not playing as expected and may be riding the "injury" train to end of year. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/clowney-week-6/

He is averaging less than 4 total tackles per game and that hardly screams superstar. Maybe he believed ESPN hype after his very good 2012.

Wolf6151
11-02-2013, 03:20 AM
Several months ago Clowney was speculating about sitting out the whole season in order to protect his future NFL value and earnings. He strikes me as a guy who's all effort in a contract year but will play conservative the rest of the time. It also sounds like he's milking that injury for all he can. I wouldn't touch him in the draft.

Scooter
11-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Several months ago Clowney was speculating about sitting out the whole season in order to protect his future NFL value and earnings. He strikes me as a guy who's all effort in a contract year but will play conservative the rest of the time. It also sounds like he's milking that injury for all he can. I wouldn't touch him in the draft.

i feel the same way, i wouldnt take him higher than the 3rd - if at all. you cant have success at the next level with that "i'll play when i want to" attitude. the pro game isnt like college, here even the scrubs are great players. unless his work ethic changes drastically, a desperate team will take him and 2 years we'll be saying "looks like tarzan, plays like jane" as he bounces around the league before being dropped.

NCTexan
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Are there any corners worth taking in the first?

Are the two guys from Florida/the kid from Oregon legit next level talent?

I've been looking at later round guys, but it seems we may need a star here sooner than I hoped with JJo's quick decline.

htownfan32
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Are there any corners worth taking in the first?

Are the two guys from Florida/the kid from Oregon legit next level talent?

I've been looking at later round guys, but it seems we may need a star here sooner than I hoped with JJo's quick decline.

JJO killed this team and my fantasy. 30 ****ing points from TY Hilton.

I'd kill for Purifoy from UF, but I'd rather lock up safety in the first with Haha Dix out of Bama.

Verrett from TCU in the second? or maybe Aaron Colvin from OU.

Rey
11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
If we get a top 5 pick and one of those qb's fall to us, we should trade back for a massive package (I know I know, that's what she said)

But seriously, this team needs a lot if help. We need a RB, DB's, LB's, DL...

WolverineFan
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
If we get a top 5 pick and one of those qb's fall to us, we should trade back for a massive package (I know I know, that's what she said)

True, but at the same time you are passing on the top guy at a couple positions of need. Matthews and Barr would be ripe for the picking at top 5. Trade back and get a few more picks but then you miss out on a top prospect.

We have tons of holes though I agree. It's a slippery slope to navigate.

NCTexan
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
JJO killed this team and my fantasy. 30 ****ing points from TY Hilton.

I'd kill for Purifoy from UF, but I'd rather lock up safety in the first with Haha Dix out of Bama.

Verrett from TCU in the second? or maybe Aaron Colvin from OU.

Safety help would definitely help. I'd be more comfortable trotting JJo out there with a new safety than a new corner with Reed.

Wolf6151
11-04-2013, 12:59 PM

I agree, a trade from top 5 to around pick 20ish should gain us an upper 2nd round pick and a upper 3rd as well. Hopefully there's a team out there to make such a deal. We have lots of holes and need alot of help. We could still get one of the best CB's at #20 and then add some quality with 2 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

WolverineFan
11-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree, a trade from top 5 to around pick 20ish should gain us an upper 2nd round pick and a upper 3rd as well. Hopefully there's a team out there to make such a deal. We have lots of holes and need alot of help. We could still get one of the best CB's at #20 and then add some quality with 2 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

The problem is most teams picking toward the end of the round already have a QB. The only teams I can think of that may be drafting toward 20 that may want a QB is Chicago and Arizona. Maybe another team would be willing to trade up that far for Matthews, Barr, or Clowney.

htownfan32
11-04-2013, 01:17 PM

This. I'm beginning to think that Keenum is definitely the guy (we have the rest of the season to evaluate. I'm fully in draft mode right now) and if he is we can afford to take a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

RB is a need. Foster... I'm not above cutting him if need be. He's worn out. How would you guys feel about Melvin Gordon out of Wisconsin?

leebigeztx
11-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Why not take the qb?

Texian
11-04-2013, 01:31 PM
This. I'm beginning to think that Keenum is definitely the guy (we have the rest of the season to evaluate. I'm fully in draft mode right now) and if he is we can afford to take a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

RB is a need. Foster... I'm not above cutting him if need be. He's worn out. How would you guys feel about Melvin Gordon out of Wisconsin?

Way to early on Keenum. If I showed you the first half tape, sure. If I showed you the 2nd half tape, maybe not.Conventional Wisdom is a QB needs 30 starts before you really know what you got.

76Texan
11-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Way to early on Keenum. If I showed you the first half tape, sure. If I showed you the 2nd half tape, maybe not.Conventional Wisdom is a QB needs 30 starts before you really know what you got.

I agree that it's still early to make a final call on Keenum, but his second half tape doesn't look bad either. That deep ball to Posey on the right sideline was not too far off; it would have made everything so very different; and he was robbed on the third down conversion to AJ, too.

On another note, is there any O-lineman on the Baylor Bears squad worth keeping an eye on? Petty and Seatrunk had so much fun behind them; the next few games will be a better indication, but Seatrunk sure looks like a great back.

TexansSeminole
11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Purifoy from Florida hasn't been getting the PT that his talent would suggest he should due to behavioral issues. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but sounds to me like he has some type of attitude problem. I'm sure we will know more later in the draft process.

eriadoc
11-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Why not take the qb?

Because this draft has lots of QBs, but not one great QB. If there were a Luck-caliber guy available, you take him. That may yet turn out to be the consensus, but as of right now, no QB expected to come out gives me that vibe. So trade back, add a couple picks, and grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, a la Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, etc.

Of course, if you're head over heels in love with Boyd or Bridgewater, then this scenario doesn't appeal to you. I'm not.

eriadoc
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM

I can go with that, as long as the people saying that recognize that Keenum has 2 more (or 10 more) starts down that road than whoever you want to draft.

Texian
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I agree that it's still early to make a final call on Keenum, but his second half tape doesn't look bad either. That deep ball to Posey on the right sideline was not too far off; it would have made everything so very different; and he was robbed on the third down conversion to AJ, too.

On another note, is there any O-lineman on the Baylor Bears squad worth keeping an eye on? Petty and Seatrunk had so much fun behind them; the next few games will be a better indication, but Seatrunk sure looks like a great back.

Cyril Richardson is consenus #1 OG in 2014 draft

Corrosion
11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I can go with that, as long as the people saying that recognize that Keenum has 2 more (or 10 more) starts down that road than whoever you want to draft.

Im REALLY torn on taking a QB early .... So far Keenum has looked damn good but it is early and teams are going to catch up to what he's doing - Can he adjust !?

There are several QB's coming out this year that have franchise potential .... I'd hate to miss out if Keenum isn't the answer.

Screw it , give me a dominant RT and lets roll with it. :headhurts:

eriadoc
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Im REALLY torn on taking a QB early .... So far Keenum has looked damn good but it is early and teams are going to catch up to what he's doing - Can he adjust !?

There are several QB's coming out this year that have franchise potential .... I'd hate to miss out if Keenum isn't the answer.

Screw it , give me a dominant RT and lets roll with it. :headhurts:

First off, you aren't going to have that answer until the end of the year. And that's a good thing, because with ten starts under his belt, you'll have a much better idea whether or not he has the potential to be a franchise QB. Second, I just don't see any of these guys jumping off the page and screaming first round to me. I know a couple of them will get taken in the first round just because the position is so critical, but I feel like you can get a guy in the 3rd round that has just as much potential as a guy you'd get in the 1st round, for just this draft. The combine will come along and change the equation, I'm sure, but so will Keenum's play. So there's a lot to shake out yet.

leebigeztx
11-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Because this draft has lots of QBs, but not one great QB. If there were a Luck-caliber guy available, you take him. That may yet turn out to be the consensus, but as of right now, no QB expected to come out gives me that vibe. So trade back, add a couple picks, and grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, a la Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, etc.

Of course, if you're head over heels in love with Boyd or Bridgewater, then this scenario doesn't appeal to you. I'm not.

its not like luck is burning the world down. He's struggling just like all the other young qb in the 3rd yr or less. If there is a qb you feel has the upside of a top qb,then you take him. I'm pretty sure no one thought the uber productive rodger would be rodgers. Just because you draft a guy early doesn't mean you have to play him right away. If the guy needs seasoning,so be it,but that's not a reason to pass because you may not have the chance again. Remember the giants were 5-2 before eli took over. Tommy maddox had just put up all time numbers for pittsburgh the year they took big ben. They didn't pass either of those because they didn't see the next peyton,they deemed them franchise caliber qbs regardless of the holdover. If they grade hundley,boyd,or whomever franchise caliber when they're availible,you gotta take them.

Honoring Earl 34
11-04-2013, 09:37 PM

I'd take him and throw that ZBS in the trash can . Well maybe every once in awhile run it as a change of pace .

Other guys I'd want are ,

1. Anthony Barr
2. Louis Nix
3. Matthews
4. lewan
5. Evans

mussop
11-04-2013, 09:39 PM

He is dam good too. Put him at left guard and we are set for the next ten years. Unfortunately He might go in the first round.

infantrycak
11-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Tommy maddox had just put up all time numbers for pittsburgh the year they took big ben.

All time what numbers? - crap. Maddox was 33 years old and had a horrible 2003 - 57.4% comp. 3414 yds, 18 TDs, 17 INTs, 6.6 ypa, 75.3 QB rating.

Rey
11-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Why not take the qb?

Because I like case and really I don't know if I trust any of these qb's to be franchise guys that I'd take top 5.

Plus the team has tons of holes they need to fill. Too bad they are so slow to recognize issues and make their fair share of questionable roster choices otherwise the team might be more well rounded.

Honoring Earl 34
All time what numbers? - crap. Maddox was 33 years old and had a horrible 2003 - 57.4% comp. 3414 yds, 18 TDs, 17 INTs, 6.6 ypa, 75.3 QB rating.

He came back after selling insurance and had a good year . I think he's the guy the Texans picked off several times for TDs and the Texans beat the Steelers with only having 100 yards offense .

The road is littered with Kelvin Cato type signings at QB . I think Case is different because his mental game is his strong suit . I think you can steal a good QB prospect this year in the 3rd to go along with Keenum .

Texian
I'd take him and throw that ZBS in the trash can . Well maybe every once in awhile run it as a change of pace .

Other guys I'd want are ,

1. Anthony Barr
2. Louis Nix
3. Matthews
4. lewan
5. Evans

One thing about the ZBS is when Alex Gibbs is running it, 8 out 12 years Alex had the #1 or #2 rushing team in the NFL. It usually took Gibbs 2 years to fully implement his ZBS. Of course Gibb's ZBS slowly declines after he leaves. Other coaches must not have that attention to detail or think their version of ZBS is better which it usually isn't.

Honoring Earl 34
11-04-2013, 10:10 PM
One thing about the ZBS is when Alex Gibbs is running it, 8 out 12 years Alex had the #1 or #2 rushing team in the NFL. It usually took Gibbs 2 years to fully implement his ZBS. Of course Gibb's ZBS slowly declines after he leaves. Other coaches must not have that attention to detail or think their version of ZBS is better which it usually isn't.

I like a big physical OL , at least the two guards and RT .

They don't have Tom Nalen , Terrell Davis , and Gary Zimmerman either . I also think they changed the rules some on cutting .

Texian
11-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I like a big physical OL , at least the two guards and RT .

They don't have Tom Nalen , Terrell Davis , and Gary Zimmerman either . I also think they changed the rules some on cutting .

Gibbs did it in Atlanta and Houston also. Gibbs supplemented big OL with big Blocking TE and FB.

Honoring Earl 34
11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Gibbs did it in Atlanta and Houston also. Gibbs supplemented big OL with big Blocking TE and FB.

In Atlanta he had some nobodies . He looks for guys who will do what it takes to be good . That said , the Atlanta guys didn't like him because he was so demanding .

mussop
11-05-2013, 12:05 AM

He is dam good too. Put him at left guard and we are set for the next ten years. Unfortunately He might go in the first round.

Wolf6151
11-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Is there a position on the field that we don't need? WR is the only position I can think of that isn't a need. Now they're not all 1st or 2nd round needs but their are so many needs we can go with a BPA approach to the draft and fill a lot of those needs. I also think that we all need to remember that rebuilding this organization back to consistent playoff team will take more than just 1 draft. Its hard to believe that in 8 yrs. Smithiak was unable to build some quality depth.

We're looking like we might be drafting in the top 5 now. I'm going to be looking hard at Mariota.

badboy
11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Is there a position on the field that we don't need? WR is the only position I can think of that isn't a need. Now they're not all 1st or 2nd round needs but their are so many needs we can go with a BPA approach to the draft and fill a lot of those needs. I also think that we all need to remember that rebuilding this organization back to consistent playoff team will take more than just 1 draft. Its hard to believe that in 8 yrs. Smithiak was unable to build some quality depth.

We're looking like we might be drafting in the top 5 now. I'm going to be looking hard at Mariota.I have started working a bit different than some who mock by filling in back up or lesser needs first. For example, I see Ed Reed being replaced by Swearinger and Manning if healthy will be in last contract year 2014 so we draft Marqueston Huff Wyoming who was a 3 year corner who moved to safety this year. To answer your question, we have needs almost everywhere but some can be resolved without panic by using lower rounds and focusing on priority needs in top 4 rounds. Issue of course is posters rarely agree what is priority plus if I decide to take care of RT by selecting Tennessee's JuWuan James who is right under the first rounders, he better be there. Still that is the fun.

steelbtexan
11-05-2013, 11:16 AM
I have started working a bit different than some who mock by filling in back up or lesser needs first. For example, I see Ed Reed being replaced by Swearinger and Manning if healthy will be in last contract year 2014 so we draft Marqueston Huff Wyoming who was a 3 year corner who moved to safety this year. To answer your question, we have needs almost everywhere but some can be resolved without panic by using lower rounds and focusing on priority needs in top 4 rounds. Issue of course is posters rarely agree what is priority plus if I decide to take care of RT by selecting Tennessee's JuWuan James who is right under the first rounders, he better be there. Still that is the fun.

If James is there in the late 3rd would you trade a 4/6th rd pick to move up and pick him?

The Texans should get atleast 1 comp pick in the 5th rd if Dutch is correct.

76Texan
11-05-2013, 11:32 AM

I like what I see so far from him (3 gamed in 2012 from Drsftbreakdown.)

TexansSeminole
11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

We're looking like we might be drafting in the top 5 now. I'm going to be looking hard at Mariota.

We need just about everything. We need WRs too. Martin and Jean aren't players that you want to count on. If Andre or Hopkins were to go down, we are right back in a bad situation at WR. We should be looking to add more WRs to our group. There is hardly any depth. We also don't have a slot receiver. However, we have more pressing needs that will probably not allow us to take a WR, assuming we draft on need.

I haven't done my own mock, just because it's a bit early for me. That's not to say that these mocks on the site now are worthless, it's just too early for ME to do one.

If I had to do a positional mock draft, I would take a RT in the first, OLB/ILB/NT in the next 4 rounds, RB/CB/WR in the last three rounds. If we don't resign Antonio, we will need to draft a DE.

steelbtexan
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
We need just about everything. We need WRs too. Martin and Jean aren't players that you want to count on. If Andre or Hopkins were to go down, we are right back in a bad situation at WR. We should be looking to add more WRs to our group. There is hardly any depth. We also don't have a slot receiver. However, we have more pressing needs that will probably not allow us to take a WR, assuming we draft on need.

I haven't done my own mock, just because it's a bit early for me. That's not to say that these mocks on the site now are worthless, it's just too early for ME to do one.

If I had to do a positional mock draft, I would take a RT in the first, OLB/ILB/NT in the next 4 rounds, RB/CB/WR in the last three rounds. If we don't resign Antonio, we will need to draft a DE.

What your saying is there's too many holes to fill in one draft?

So they if Rick can fix the OL/DL/LB's in this draft I will be happy and the team will be much better. When is the last time Rick added 3 impact players in 1 draft should be the question.

76Texan
11-05-2013, 04:06 PM

I've been entertaining thoughts about Watkins.
That guy is more dynamic than Tavon Austin.

10-3/4 hand.
He can be a force in the return game as well.

You give Keenum this guy underneath and AJ and Hopkins over the top. Your offense will be crazy.

The only thing that is crazier is that Watkins can outrun AJ and Hopkins, and Posey too.

mussop
11-05-2013, 05:50 PM

10-3/4 hand.

You give Keenum this guy underneath and AJ and Hopkins over the top. Your offense will be crazy.

The only thing that is crazier is that Watkins can outrun AJ and Hopkins, and Posey too.

I've been flirting with this idea in my head since last week. If Case is for real, why not turn this offense into a passing juggernaut. Kinda a gift to AJ for making him suffer all these years. With a mobile QB and those three guys running around we would be tough to stop and fun as hell to watch. The only thing is the drug charges scare me a little. If that doesn't clear inspection replace him with Evans. Use the rest of the draft on defense.

WolverineFan
11-05-2013, 05:50 PM

10-3/4 hand.

Not a bad idea to grab Watkins. I actually sort of agree.

Disagree about playing him underneath though. He can blow the top off the defense. I would play Dre in the slot and Watkins outside. Dre runs fantastic routes and could be a Boldin-like beast in the slot. He's also lost a step so getting him in matchups against LB's and Safeties isn't a bad idea. Hopkins could take over his role outside and then you have Watkins to pressure the deep part of the field. Would make for a very dynamic trio. He would definitely upgrade the return game as well I agree.

mussop
11-05-2013, 05:53 PM

So they if Rick can fix the OL/DL/LB's in this draft I will be happy and the team will be much better. When is the last time Rick added 3 impact players in 1 draft should be the question.

What about safety and nickle back? Although I think bouy will lock that down next year. Also don't forget about depth on DL.

Corrosion
11-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it ?!

Cameron Erving

Christian Jones

Danny Shelton

Fixing NT may go a long way towards fixing the LBers.

Texian
11-05-2013, 06:02 PM

10-3/4 hand.

Don't be going Matt Millen on me. If not Johnny Football think TE. OD is not what he used to be and Graham is a FA.

Oh and what has Tavon Austin done for you lately?

Honoring Earl 34
11-05-2013, 06:06 PM

A great QB and a great pass rusher cover the most blemishes . :evil:

Scooter
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
i truly think we only need 1 position on offense, that one position is currently an anchor holding the offense back. jake matthews in the first and offense is done. make that the priority, no more guessing and hoping to hit later on, get that final piece. quess replaces wade smith, jones backs up the interior, and williams become swing tackle. we can fill the backup RB roles regardless of tate's returning without using a draft pick. we're 3 deep at wide receiver. and finally, case is our quarterback, though i would look at signing a cheap(ish) veteran to backup.

defense is the problem. yall know i want linebackers, a whole lot of linebackers. if we can hit on 2 linebackers, especially someone to play inside with cushing, we can turn the defense around. the line MAY be a concern. we dont know what's going to happen with ninja, but he's probably out of our price range. we would certainly benefit from a mountain in the middle. and finally, as always, we're still looking for that centerfielder.

TexansSeminole
11-06-2013, 05:03 AM
I like the idea of adding Watkins, but it may be a luxury that we cannot afford. We need to do something about right tackle desperately.

Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it ?!

Cameron Erving

Christian Jones

Danny Shelton

Fixing NT may go a long way towards fixing the LBers.

Christian Jones is interesting. They have him playing OLB/DE right now, but he was an ILB in previous years. He was damn good at ILB, he routinely stuck with guys in coverage. Versatile guy that will fly up draft boards, in my opinion.

76Texan
11-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Don't be going Matt Millen on me. If not Johnny Football think TE. OD is not what he used to be and Graham is a FA.

Oh and what has Tavon Austin done for you lately?

Either OD takes half of his pay off or he's gone; either way, the money is plenty enough to pay Graham; we sure haven't been missing OD, have we?

I wanted no part of Austin.
He's a completely different player than Watkins; there's no comparison.

76Texan
11-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I like the idea of adding Watkins, but it may be a luxury that we cannot afford. We need to do something about right tackle desperately.

Christian Jones is interesting. They have him playing OLB/DE right now, but he was an ILB in previous years. He was damn good at ILB, he routinely stuck with guys in coverage. Versatile guy that will fly up draft boards, in my opinion.

B Williams and Quizz will be back.
We can draft an OT in the second or the third; IMO, you don't want to spend a first rounder for a RT.

Honoring Earl 34
11-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Either OD takes half of his pay off or he's gone; either way, the money is plenty enough to pay Graham; we sure haven't been missing OD, have we?

I wanted no part of Austin.
He's a completely different player than Watkins; there's no comparison.

I would like this team to get bigger on the lines and taller at TE . To me Jimmy Graham and Gronk are open every play in the red zone because of their length . OD is 6'3 not tall for a TE . Saying that I'd take Evans from A&M from 12-16 th pick .

76Texan
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I would like this team to get bigger on the lines and taller at TE . To me Jimmy Graham and Gronk are open every play in the red zone because of their length . OD is 6'3 not tall for a TE . Saying that I'd take Evans from A&M from 12-16 th pick .

I think the Texans could be ready to let OD go.
They only have to incurred 750K in dead money, and the move will free up $5.5M
Add that to the 750K slotted for Graham last year, and the number would go up to $6.25M.
That should be plenty to resign Graham and another TE in FA if the Texans find one that they like.

Jason Witten is the number 10 highest paid in the league and he only cost $4.325M

Obviously, the Texans seem to like to draft a TE in the fourth round.
Who is the guy at Wisconsin this year? LOL

76Texan
11-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I would rather have Watkins' speed.
He was time under 4.3 at Clemson (hand time), probably inflated, but he should be very fast anyway.

Eventually, Hopkins, AJ and a guy like Watkins will see time at different positions.
I only suggest Watkins in the slot to minimize his learning curve at the beginning.
Let him match up with the opponents' third best DB; he's plenty big and strong, and should create a mismatch for the Texans.

76Texan
11-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Beside Evans, there are also B Coleman, a 6'6 guy from Rutgers, and Kelvin Benjamin, a 6'5 guy from Fla. St.
With high 4.5 speed, I think one of these guys can put on some weight if they want to convert them to TE.
Benjamin, for example, is already listed at 234lbs.

beerlover
11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
I think the Texans could be ready to let OD go.
They only have to incurred 750K in dead money, and the move will free up $5.5M
Add that to the 750K slotted for Graham last year, and the number would go up to $6.25M.
That should be plenty to resign Graham and another TE in FA if the Texans find one that they like.

Jason Witten is the number 10 highest paid in the league and he only cost $4.325M

Obviously, the Texans seem to like to draft a TE in the fourth round.
Who is the guy at Wisconsin this year? LOL

Jacob Pedersen, 6040 241 4.75 (7 games) 18 receptions 251 yards 13.94 avg & 3 TD's

Owen Daniels, 6033 253 4.65

Garrett Graham, 6031 243 4.76

76Texan
11-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Damn it, I just check and the 6'7-6'8 guy from UCLA, Joseph Fauria, that I wanted the Texans to take.

He signed with the Lions as an UDFA, and had caught 5 TDs for them already.

What a miss by the Texans scouting department.

76Texan
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Jacob Pedersen, 6040 241 4.75 (7 games) 18 receptions 251 yards 13.94 avg & 3 TD's

Owen Daniels, 6033 253 4.65

Garrett Graham, 6031 243 4.76

Jake Byrne is already on the active roster for the Texans already, isn't he?
That's another guy from Wisconsin.

Texian
11-06-2013, 10:28 AM
At the halfway point in the season the Texans have the 6th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft: http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Bottom line on TEs is the Texans are mediocre at best. They definitely need a #1 TE going forward. Evans, Ebron, Sefarian-Jenkins and Amaro should all be be 1st or 2nd rd considerations. The Texans running game has declined since Dreessen left and was never replaced with a Top notch blocking TE. A very good blocking TE was a main cog and one of the most pieces to the success of Alex Gibbs ZBS.

badboy
11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
If James is there in the late 3rd would you trade a 4/6th rd pick to move up and pick him?

The Texans should get atleast 1 comp pick in the 5th rd if Dutch is correct.James has actually fallen on the most recent draft tracker source I use from ranking #125 to #148 so I have him in 4th where he should be when we draft. Watching him shows no reason for a slide & I am thinking it is due to Tennessee getting beaten so much. He has not changed his style of play like some players have been accused (Clowney).

I have been holding off on posting my current mock to watch one more game of a certain player.

santo
11-06-2013, 11:06 AM
What a miss by the Texans scouting department.

Which needs to be replaced now before our next draft. :smiliepalm:

beerlover
11-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Ryan Griffin has looked the part of blocking TE, thought he had one penalty against the Colts, but really helped protection package for Case. really good undrafted pickup not sure Jake is anything but special teams depth.....

Texans did take a stab once @ TE & got burned with a high pick (2nd rd.) Bennie Joppru mostly based off exceptional week of practice/play in Senior Bowl.

In my most recent mock I targeted Washington TE Seferian-Jenkins, big body 6060 267 similar to Witten (not as well coached) but has natural ball instincts, uses his body effective can move in space/downfield or plant underneath & absorb hits. Question for me is how fast he develops with NFL coaching? could be a huge asset, improve blocking & provide compressed red zone option. A combination of Griffen & Seferian-Jenkins in two TE sets would chip & enforce the edges helping tackles or release as another option to keep chains moving.

mussop
11-06-2013, 11:30 AM
At the halfway point in the season the Texans have the 6th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft: http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Bottom line on TEs is the Texans are mediocre at best. They definitely need a #1 TE going forward. Evans, Ebron, Sefarian-Jenkins and Amaro should all be be 1st or 2nd rd considerations. The Texans running game has declined since Dreessen left and was never replaced with a Top notch blocking TE. A very good blocking TE was a main cog and one of the most pieces to the success of Alex Gibbs ZBS.

I don't think we know what we have in Graham or our rookie just yet. Remember Schaub has been the QB. Let's see what happens now that we have someone who will look for them.

Dreeson was not a top notch blocking TE. He was good but not great. Don't really think having a top notch blocking TE has ever been as important as you suggest. This offense is at its best when it has a TE that is at least a good seal off blocker and can get behind defenses when we run bootlegs. Ala Shannon sharpe.

Texian
11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't think we know what we have in Graham or our rookie just yet. Remember Schaub has been the QB. Let's see what happens now that we have someone who will look for them.

Dreeson was not a top notch blocking TE. He was good but not great. Don't really think having a top notchhttp://drudgereport.com/ blocking TE has ever been as important as you suggest. This offense is at its best when it has a TE that is at least a good seal off blocker and can get behind defenses when we run bootlegs. Ala Shannon sharpe.

What we do know about Graham is he's FA next year. I am opposed to waiting to see what happens as I am more comfortable at making things happen.

According to PFF when Dreessen was with the Texans he in fact graded out as a Top 3 Run Blocking TE. If know anything about or have studied Alex Gibbs and his ZBS then you would know how important Gibbs thinks and uses a good blocking TE in his running game. It is no coincidence that running game has declined since Dreessen and Gibbs have departed.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2011/08/alex-gibbs-stretchgun-run-developments.html

76Texan
11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
What we do know about Graham is he's FA next year. I am opposed to waiting to see what happens as I am more comfortable at making things happen.

According to PFF when Dreessen was with the Texans he in fact graded out as a Top 3 Run Blocking TE. If know anything about or have studied Alex Gibbs and his ZBS then you would know how important Gibbs thinks and uses a good blocking TE in his running game. It is no coincidence that running game has declined since Dreessen and Gibbs have departed.

http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2011/08/alex-gibbs-stretchgun-run-developments.html

The Texans missed Dreessen, that's for sure, but they can't afford him with Graham already on the roster.

Graham isn't far off from Dreessen in blocking, anyway.

We just didn't have a real FB last year, and both Foster and Tate have not been healthy this year.

mussop
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Right now you're just pissin in the wind. You can't make anything happen till the offseason anyway. That's why I'm saying let's see what we have now that we have a QB that's capable.

It had more to do with no true fullback and OL problems than it did with Dreesen being gone. Not saying he wasn't good. Just that there were many factors that contributed to our running games decline after he left.

As far as Gibbs goes, of course you need a GOOD blocking TE in his system. You need one in almost any system. Top notch? It's not as important as you think. Name one top notch blocking TE that was ever used in Gibbs system. In Denver it was Shannon Sharpe. He was more of a threat receiving than blocking. He was never a dominant blocker. He was a good effort seal off guy. I don't think gins system has ever been better than when sharpe was the TE.

Wolf6151
11-06-2013, 04:18 PM
I have started working a bit different than some who mock by filling in back up or lesser needs first. For example, I see Ed Reed being replaced by Swearinger and Manning if healthy will be in last contract year 2014 so we draft Marqueston Huff Wyoming who was a 3 year corner who moved to safety this year. To answer your question, we have needs almost everywhere but some can be resolved without panic by using lower rounds and focusing on priority needs in top 4 rounds. Issue of course is posters rarely agree what is priority plus if I decide to take care of RT by selecting Tennessee's JuWuan James who is right under the first rounders, he better be there. Still that is the fun.

Case Keenum and "priority" are the 2 biggest questions we've got right now. Making a priority list is the easy part, though no 2 people will have their priorities in the same order or ever be able to agree on one. Unfortunately nothing can be solidified right now because of the huge ? at QB. IMO, even if Keenum plays lights out this season and the Texans decide to give him next year as well, there needs to be a good/decent backup most likely taken in the 2nd round because we can't hope or take the chance that someone good/decent will fall to the 3rd. I like Murray in the 2nd and could even take McCarron in the 2nd, though he doesn't wow me, just because we can't wait til the 3rd and just hope that he'll still be there. Remember this years draft when we waited a little for an ILB and tried to get max. value at the position and came away with nothing. Not all teams prioritize players like we do, which really makes me question our scouting dept. as well. This team has also got to quit taking so many chances with 3rd round picks by taking risky/maybe/injured/project players. 3rd round picks form the heart and soul of your team and we've got to quit wasting them.

Texian
11-07-2013, 09:40 PM
As far as Gibbs goes, of course you need a GOOD blocking TE in his system. You need one in almost any system. Top notch? It's not as important as you think. Name one top notch blocking TE that was ever used in Gibbs system. In Denver it was Shannon Sharpe. He was more of a threat receiving than blocking. He was never a dominant blocker. He was a good effort seal off guy. I don't think gins system has ever been better than when sharpe was the TE.

Shannon Sharpe was not a blocking TE, Sharpe is the same size as Andre Johnson. Alex Gibbs blocking TE for Denver during the time period was Dwayne Carswell. In Atlanta Alge Crumpler was the TE in the mold of Sharpe and Daniels. Alex Gibbs blocking TE for the Falcons was Eric Beverly. These TEs were not much in the way of receiving TE but were top notch and some of the best run blocking TE. Ask Terrel Davis and Warrick Dunn if they weren't a main reason for them being some of the best. With Joel Dreessen Arian Foster was either #1 or #2 in rushing. Foster hasn't rushed for a 4.4 ypc since Dreessen departed.

infantrycak
11-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Shannon Sharpe was not a blocking TE, Sharpe is the same size as Andre Johnson. Alex Gibbs blocking TE for Denver during the time period was Dwayne Carswell. In Atlanta Alge Crumpler was the TE in the mold of Sharpe and Daniels. Alex Gibbs blocking TE for the Falcons was Eric Beverly. These TEs were not much in the way of receiving TE but were top notch and some of the best run blocking TE. Ask Terrel Davis and Warrick Dunn if they weren't a main reason for them being some of the best. With Joel Dreessen Arian Foster was either #1 or #2 in rushing. Foster hasn't rushed for a 4.4 ypc since Dreessen departed.

Carswell went 290 lbs. The Texans have never had a big TE in that mold The closest they have had to a primarily blocking TE was Mark Bruener who was let go while Gibbs was here. Carswell was also already with the Broncos before Gibbs got there.

Not sure who you are thinking of in Atlanta. Eric Beverly was a 300 lb C/G.

Foster hasn't reached 4.9 ypc since Leach departed. He is at 4.5 ypc this season. So basically you are only talking about 2012 which also includes getting rid of a traditional FB.

Texian
11-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Carswell went 290 lbs. The Texans have never had a big TE in that mold The closest they have had to a primarily blocking TE was Mark Bruener who was let go while Gibbs was here. Carswell was also already with the Broncos before Gibbs got there.

Not sure who you are thinking of in Atlanta. Eric Beverly was a 300 lb C/G.

Foster hasn't reached 4.9 ypc since Leach departed. He is at 4.5 ypc this season. So basically you are only talking about 2012 which also includes getting rid of a traditional FB.

Beverly was a 300 lb G/C for Detroit he was 300 lb Blocking TE for Atlanta always lining up outside shoulder of the LT or RT. Just because Carswell was there doesn't mean that Gibbs didn't use him as his Blocking TE which is exactly what he did. Leach has been replaced by Vickers and Jones. Dreessen's quality and value has never really been replaced.

infantrycak
11-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Beverly was a 300 lb G/C for Detroit he was 300 lb Blocking TE for Atlanta always lining up outside shoulder of the LT or RT.

The point was he was an extra OLmen lined up at TE. He wasn't really a TE. Tons of teams including the Texans throw an extra OLmen out there lined up at TE at times but it is spot duty not the base offense.

Just because Carswell was there doesn't mean that Gibbs didn't use him as his Blocking TE which is exactly what he did.

Didn't say he wasn't a blocking TE - in fact acknowledged that was exactly what he was. The point of him already being there was that he wasn't someone Gibbs brought in to implement his system.

Leach has been replaced by Vickers and Jones. Dreessen's quality and value has never really been replaced.

Leach to Vickers = -.5 ypc. Dreessen there both seasons.
Vickers & Dreessen (plus Briesel and Winston) to Casey = -.4 ypc.
Casey to Jones = +.5 ypc.

I think the evidence points to the FB being a bigger factor along with the departure of Briesel and Winston. That would also be what my eyes told me.

Texian
11-07-2013, 11:32 PM
The point was he was an extra OLmen lined up at TE. He wasn't really a TE. Tons of teams including the Texans throw an extra OLmen out there lined up at TE at times but it is spot duty not the base offense.

Sorry I missed the point. Here is what you said, "Not sure who you are thinking of in Atlanta. Eric Beverly was a 300 lb C/G." Carswell, Beverlyand Dreessen with Gibbs were full time TEs, primarily blocking TEs and part of the base offense.

Didn't say he wasn't a blocking TE - in fact acknowledged that was exactly what he was. The point of him already being there was that he wasn't someone Gibbs brought in to implement his system.

Neither was Winston but he used Eric to implement his system

Leach to Vickers = -.5 ypc. Dreessen there both seasons.
Vickers & Dreessen (plus Briesel and Winston) to Casey = -.4 ypc.
Casey to Jones = +.5 ypc.

I think the evidence points to the FB being a bigger factor along with the departure of Briesel and Winston. That would also be what my eyes told me.

I have said for years that after Winston, Brisiel, Leach, Vickers and Dreessen were gone the Texans have never really replaced them equal or better quality players. There is an argument for Brooks but only recently. The reason this discussion was about TEs is because it was primarily about Alex Gibbs and his use of Blocking TEs. No argument from me about importance of the FB in Gibb's system but we were discussing TEs.

infantrycak
11-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Sure Beverly was part of the base offense. That's why he had 7 starts in 3 years with Gibbs. Dreessen in contrast had 11 starts with Gibbs in 2009. Dreessen and Beverly share little more than where they lined up.

TexansSeminole
11-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Beside Evans, there are also B Coleman, a 6'6 guy from Rutgers, and Kelvin Benjamin, a 6'5 guy from Fla. St.
With high 4.5 speed, I think one of these guys can put on some weight if they want to convert them to TE.
Benjamin, for example, is already listed at 234lbs.

Benjamin is only a RS Sophomore. He has a lot to learn and could be even a bigger part of the offense next year. I wouldn't count on him coming out.

mussop
11-08-2013, 08:51 AM
If you want a good blocking TE who at least shows promise as a receiver who we could probably get in the late rounds check out Ben Koyack out of Norte dame.

Texian
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Sure Beverly was part of the base offense. That's why he had 7 starts in 3 years with Gibbs. Dreessen in contrast had 11 starts with Gibbs in 2009. Dreessen and Beverly share little more than where they lined up.

starts vs number of snaps played are two completely different categories and while you would expect Daniels to start every game that he's not injured you wouldn't think that of a #2 or #3 TE. If you have the number of snaps played that may or may not support the # of starts discussion. You also have to take in to consideration that Beverly was injured and that Alge Crumpler besides being a very good receiving TE was also a good Blocking TE. During the time that Beverly was injured the Falcons run game suffered.

mussop
11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
starts vs number of snaps played are two completely different categories and while you would expect Daniels to start every game that he's not injured you wouldn't think that of a #2 or #3 TE. If you have the number of snaps played that may or may not support the # of starts discussion. You also have to take in to consideration that Beverly was injured and that Alge Crumpler besides being a very good receiving TE was also a good Blocking TE. During the time that Beverly was injured the Falcons run game suffered.

If you are going to suggest these stats then why not produce them?

Texian
11-08-2013, 02:55 PM

I would if I knew where to find snap counts for 1996-98 and 2004-2006, maybe you could help out if you know. Unfortunately my source for player snaps PFF was not around during this time.

infantrycak
11-08-2013, 02:56 PM

True.

Even if Beverly played every snap it doesn't prove Gibbs' typical operation. Beverly was an aberration even for Gibbs.

Texian
11-08-2013, 03:19 PM
True.

Even if Beverly played every snap it doesn't prove Gibbs' typical operation. Beverly was an aberration even for Gibbs.

Gibbs signed Beverly specifically to be his blocking TE in Atlanta. Beverly was a specific cog in Gibbs game plan. Whether or not this proves anything to you or whether you find it to be an aberration doesn't change the fact that Beverly was Gibbs Blocking TE and Gibbs always has had a primary Blocking TE in his ZBS wherever he has been.

infantrycak
11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Gibbs signed Beverly specifically to be his blocking TE in Atlanta. Beverly was a specific cog in Gibbs game plan. Whether or not this proves anything to you or whether you find it to be an aberration doesn't change the fact that Beverly was Gibbs Blocking TE and Gibbs always has had a primary Blocking TE in his ZBS wherever he has been.

I never said Beverly was not the primary blocking TE nor that he was not part of Gibbs' plan in Atlanta. He clearly was. What I asserted was it was an aberration by the standard of blocking TEs he used. The dude only caught 1 pass and that was for his token final play. Gibbs was also in unique circumstances - the left handed Michael Vick was the QB and racked up 2628 yards rushing.

Anyway, we fundamentally disagree on your characterization of Dreessen as primarily a blocking TE. But anyway, this has been beaten to death.

Rey
11-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Dreesen is not a blocking TE.

If anything Kubiak has shown a willingness to get better blocking on the edge by Keeping Bruener from the previous Regime and also he will often throw an extra tackle out there.

But Dreesen is in now way, shape or form considered a blocking TE.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-08-2013, 05:50 PM
1. OLB Anthony Barr
2. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
3. ILB Shayne Skov

Corrosion
11-08-2013, 06:01 PM
1. OLB Anthony Barr
2. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
3. ILB Shayne Skov

I had Barr ranked highly at one point but he's had so many games where he's done .... next to nothing.

I feel like Mercilus & Reed are a serviceable pair at OLB and that improving play at the NT spot would solve the pass rush problems as they are "always close" but just never quite get there because QB's always seem to have the ability to step up as there is no pressure from the middle. Get some push up front , those outside guy's look a lot better.

mussop
11-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I feel like Mercilus & Reed are a serviceable pair at OLB and that improving play at the NT spot would solve the pass rush problems as they are "always close" but just never quite get there because QB's always seem to have the ability to step up as there is no pressure from the middle. Get some push up front , those outside guy's look a lot better.

I was saying this last year. I can't help but wonder if things would be different had we drafted Jonathan Hankins or kawaan Short with our first and went WR like Stills later. Not that I don't like Hopkins.

Hervoyel
11-08-2013, 06:39 PM
OL or LB

Don't care which. Best one available. We need them both.

steelbtexan
11-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I had Barr ranked highly at one point but he's had so many games where he's done .... next to nothing.

This is why I would consider this draft a success if they ended up with

Nix
Murphy
Skov

These guys play hard all game long and are more alnog the line of Watt than Mitchell. Football means something to all of these guys. They eat and sleep it. You can never have too many guys like this on your team. Guys like these will help change the culture of this team.

Changing the culture is long overdue. IMHO

steelbtexan
11-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I was saying this last year. I can't help but wonder if things would be different had we drafted Jonathan Hankins or kawaan Short with our first and went WR like Stills later. Not that I don't like Hopkins.

I was advocating the same thing last yr. Check out somme of my old mocks. In fact I wanted Rick to trade up for Loutellieu (SP?)

mussop
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I was advocating the same thing last yr. Check out somme of my old mocks. In fact I wanted Rick to trade up for Loutellieu (SP?)

I don't need to check out old post I remember. I also said loitellieu and Sheldon Richardson were the only players I would trade up for.

Corrosion
11-08-2013, 07:22 PM
This is why I would consider this draft a success if they ended up with

Nix
Murphy
Skov

These guys play hard all game long and are more alnog the line of Watt than Mitchell. Football means something to all of these guys. They eat and sleep it. You can never have too many guys like this on your team. Guys like these will help change the culture of this team.

Changing the culture is long overdue. IMHO

Only complaint I have is the lack of an elite talent at the RT spot .... I'd go with Nix and Skov in rounds 1 & 3 if I could get Cameron Erving or Antonio Richardson in round two .... just don't think either fall that far.

Seems that the Texans are "happy" (even if I'm not) with the combination of Newton & Harris on the right side .... So going with Nix in the first isn't out of the question.

I'm not against Murphy in the second either as its highly questionable at this point who is playing DE opposite Watt next season. That second rounder is critical tho .... and could be spent on any number of positions , DE and CB among them cause JJo has been .... poor.

aussie_texan
11-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Only complaint I have is the lack of an elite talent at the RT spot .... I'd go with Nix and Skov in rounds 1 & 3 if I could get Cameron Erving or Antonio Richardson in round two .... just don't think either fall that far.

Seems that the Texans are "happy" (even if I'm not) with the combination of Newton & Harris on the right side .... So going with Nix in the first isn't out of the question.

I'm not against Murphy in the second either as its highly questionable at this point who is playing DE opposite Watt next season. That second rounder is critical tho .... and could be spent on any number of positions , DE and CB among them cause JJo has been .... poor.

i would be very happy with nix due to the points outlined previously. also i have a soft spot for Notre Dame (i might get neg repped for this lol) and to have a golden domer on the team would be nice

mussop
11-08-2013, 09:47 PM

I'm not as worried about RT now as I was earlier in the season. I still have high hopes for Q and Williams on the OL and with case being mobile as he is should help a lot.

I'm leaning towards

1.) Nix
2.) Hart DE Oregon
3.) Skov

76Texan
11-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Who are the guys to watch today (local TV only, I don't have ESPN)?

TexansSeminole
11-09-2013, 01:27 PM
If we don't resign Antonio Smith and we want to address DE in round 1, Timmy Jernigan is a good player.

Texian
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
If we don't resign Antonio Smith and we want to address DE in round 1, Timmy Jernigan is a good player.

I like Aaron Donald

leebigeztx
11-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Who are the guys to watch today (local TV only, I don't have ESPN)?

You should try to make it to mobile for the senior bowl. Its pretty good watching up close and kicking it with kirwan afterwards and picking his brain about how things work we aren't privy to. I'm focused on qbs,nt,and dbs this year.

Corrosion
11-09-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm not as worried about RT now as I was earlier in the season. I still have high hopes for Q and Williams on the OL and with case being mobile as he is should help a lot.

I'm leaning towards

1.) Nix
2.) Hart DE Oregon
3.) Skov

I said this in another thread somewhere .... I get the idea that the team is pretty satisfied with the play of Newton & Harris @ RT , I doubt they go RT that early .... but I would pending who's left to pick and choose from. Ive seen enough of Newton to realize he's more or less a career backup and the position needs to be addressed and with Wade Smith likely gone after the season , Quessenberry likely takes over there.

Too bad we don't have half a dozen first round picks + the rest of our draft to fix ..... everything that's broken.

badboy
11-09-2013, 07:09 PM
"Nix had an MRI over the weekend and it showed no serious damage, though Irish coach Brian Kelly said during a news conference Tuesday that the injury eventually will require surgery. Kelly also said that on the advice of team doctors and trainers, Nix had undergone platelet-rich plasma therapy in the past two weeks."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000277479/article/notre-dame-nt-louis-nix-will-need-surgery-for-knee-tendinitis

Will be interesting to see how well & how much he plays against Pittsburgh tonight. Also I will be focusing on QB Tom Savage for 3rd day Texans.

steelbtexan
11-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I said this in another thread somewhere .... I get the idea that the team is pretty satisfied with the play of Newton & Harris @ RT , I doubt they go RT that early .... but I would pending who's left to pick and choose from. Ive seen enough of Newton to realize he's more or less a career backup and the position needs to be addressed and with Wade Smith likely gone after the season , Quessenberry likely takes over there.

Too bad we don't have half a dozen first round picks + the rest of our draft to fix ..... everything that's broken.

I'm hoping one of Quessenberry/Williams/Newton will claim the RT position for the next 5-10 yrs. Then there should be an OG that could be drafted in the top of the 4th rd like Burnette from Ga. or Halapio from Fla.

You could draft a C like Larsen or Stork. Converted OT's like Cornelius Lucas or Donald Hawkins have the athletic abilty/size to play OG in a ZBS. The Texans have many options as to how they value OL in this draft.

The point is if the Texans get everybody back healthy the need for a RT goes down quite a bit. I wish that Newton wouldn't have been rushed back. We really dont have a clear idea how good/bad a healthy Newton is. The Texans are due for some good luck.

powda
11-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm hoping one of Quessenberry/Williams/Newton will claim the RT position for the next 5-10 yrs. Then there should be an OG that could be drafted in the top of the 4th rd like Burnette from Ga. or Halapio from Fla.

You could draft a C like Larsen or Stork. Converted OT's like Cornelius Lucas or Donald Hawkins have the athletic abilty/size to play OG in a ZBS. The Texans have many options as to how they value OL in this draft.

The point is if the Texans get everybody back healthy the need for a RT goes down quite a bit. I wish that Newton wouldn't have been rushed back. We really dont have a clear idea how good/bad a healthy Newton is. The Texans are due for some good luck.

Going into next season we have to add somone to the mix as a rt. Be it a rookie or a free agent. I see Q as a left guard and I'm ok with brooks as right guard. If b.wiIlliams works out, great but I'm planning as if he won't. If you want Case or any other qb to succeed the ol has to be legit.

badboy
11-09-2013, 11:18 PM
"Nix had an MRI over the weekend and it showed no serious damage, though Irish coach Brian Kelly said during a news conference Tuesday that the injury eventually will require surgery. Kelly also said that on the advice of team doctors and trainers, Nix had undergone platelet-rich plasma therapy in the past two weeks."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000277479/article/notre-dame-nt-louis-nix-will-need-surgery-for-knee-tendinitis

Will be interesting to see how well & how much he plays against Pittsburgh tonight. Also I will be focusing on QB Harris for 3rd day Texans.

Dang Savage led Pittsburgh to upset of Notre Dame am I good or what? 22/35 243 two TDs no INTs.

Wolf6151
11-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Going into next season we have to add somone to the mix as a rt. Be it a rookie or a free agent. I see Q as a left guard and I'm ok with brooks as right guard. If b.wiIlliams works out, great but I'm planning as if he won't. If you want Case or any other qb to succeed the ol has to be legit.

My sentiments exactly, and you probably said it alot better than I could have. Q at LG, Brooks at RG, and don't count on Brennan Williams for nothing.

I think we need to trade down from top 10 to around 20-22 in order to add an extra 2nd round pick and then spend it on an OT. I'd be looking hard at James Hurst and/or Cedric Ogbuehi in the 2nd round. Whomever our QB is next year, he needs better protection than we've got right now.

bhsman
11-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Dang Savage led Pittsburgh to upset of Notre Dame am I good or what? 22/35 243 two TDs no INTs.

Considering Pittsburgh took the 'NCG-calibre' Irish to triple OT last year, I'm nit too surprised. Congrats to Pittsburgh, however.

Texian
11-10-2013, 09:09 AM
My Nix scouting review. (just finished watching Pitt vs ND, 2nd time)

Nix is not strong enough to play NT in the NFL. He is easily blocked and does not anchor well. Pitt easily blocked him with one interior OL. On Pitt's first TD drive after about 10 plays Nix was noticeably gassed and may have affected and led to ineffective play the rest of the game. Nix does not move or control the line of scrimmage and spends to much time on the ground for a NT. It would be a mistake for Nix to come out early. He needs to stay in school and get stronger and improve his abilities and skills.

steelbtexan
11-10-2013, 09:13 AM
My Nix scouting review. (just finished watching Pitt vs ND, 2nd time)

Nix is not strong enough to play NT in the NFL. He is easily blocked and does not anchor well. Pitt easily blocked him with one interior OL. On Pitt's first TD drive after about 10 plays Nix was noticeably gassed and may have affected and led to ineffective play the rest of the game. Nix does not move or control the line of scrimmage and spends to much time on the ground for a NT. It would be a mistake for Nix to come out early. He needs to stay in school and get stronger and improve his abilities and skills.

Nix is playing on a bad knee and will probably have surgery after the season.

look at some of the games he played earlier this season or last yr.

beerlover
11-10-2013, 11:26 AM
maybe we need a thread of where to spend the 2014 2nd round pick?

I would put Nix III top of that list :mariopalm:

Texian
11-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Nix missed entire series in the 2nd half presumably due to fatigue. I don't expect Nix to play more than 30% of defense's snaps in any given game in the NFL. I also scouted Ian Williams who preceded Nix. Williams was a better player.

Corrosion
11-10-2013, 11:43 AM
maybe we need a thread of where to spend the 2014 2nd round pick?

I would put Nix III top of that list :mariopalm:

I doubt he falls that far .... He probably isn't a top 15 guy but he's the #1 prospect at a position at least a dozen teams could improve upon. Only about 5-6 top quality NT's in the league - Wilfork , Raji , Ngata , Poe and a couple others. Everyone else is looking for that kinda player ...

badboy
11-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Nix missed entire series in the 2nd half presumably due to fatigue. I don't expect Nix to play more than 30% of defense's snaps in any given game in the NFL. I also scouted Ian Williams who preceded Nix. Williams was a better player.This was Nix first game in three weeks and he went out against Pitt due to his knee and then returned. He is still recovering from his shoulder also. Why do you say it was fatigue "presumably"? Anything to support that? I only watched game once but did see him get past his blockers three times in short period of time. The announcers even mentioned he was taking up blockers allowing teammates to be productive. They then reminded audience that Tuitt was ejected for targeting. Surely you know that impacted entire defense including Nix?

Texian
11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Why do you say it was fatigue "presumably"? Anything to support that?

During Pitt's first TD drive by the time Pitt reached the red zone you could clearly tell Nix was gassed, he was having difficulty getting in to his stance. In the second half Nix was looking fatigued when Pitt was having an extended drive. Nix was on the sideline for the next series. I have no dog in this hunt, just being objective and telling what I saw. I learned long time ago not to fall in love with players.

Corrosion
11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
After watching todays game and the pressure Az. generated on Keenum , there were times he just didn't have a chance , I have to go with an elite RT with that first pick .... Unless we are drafting a QB in the first round.
The Az. defenders were on Keenum before the receivers could even turn on slant routes .... That's just not acceptable.

I expect Quessenberry to take over at LG for Wade Smith who shouldn't be resigned.

I cant rely upon B.Williams coming back and doing anything productive because of the nature of the injury.

#1 pick = an OT (unless QB).

aussie_texan
11-10-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm starting to think that mosley from 'Bama should be a go to guy in the draft. ILB is by far the weakest position in this team and the guy is a machine.
depending on where we draft either we should move back or trade into the 1st round again to grab him

steelbtexan
11-10-2013, 07:52 PM
After watching todays game and the pressure Az. generated on Keenum , there were times he just didn't have a chance , I have to go with an elite RT with that first pick .... Unless we are drafting a QB in the first round.
The Az. defenders were on Keenum before the receivers could even turn on slant routes .... That's just not acceptable.

I expect Quessenberry to take over at LG for Wade Smith who shouldn't be resigned.

I cant rely upon B.Williams coming back and doing anything productive because of the nature of the injury.

#1 pick = an OT (unless QB).

Agreed, I really didn't think the OL was this bad.

At the rate this team is losing they are going to be in Matthews territory. A very good territory to be in.

Corrosion
11-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm starting to think that mosley from 'Bama should be a go to guy in the draft. ILB is by far the weakest position in this team and the guy is a machine.
depending on where we draft either we should move back or trade into the 1st round again to grab him

I haven't seen a mock that has Mosley outside of the top 15 .... You'd have to be real careful not to move back too far and miss him if he's your guy.

I wouldn't be against doing so if you could get enough compensation from trading down a few spots to move back into the first round and get one of the elite tackle prospects.

I prefer Florida St OT Cameron Erving .... but many mocks have him going top 15 also.

I don't think you can get Mosley & an elite tackle prospect , its pick your poison & the talent at the tackle spots really drops off after that first ~4-5 guys.

dtran04
11-10-2013, 08:16 PM
The Texans are currently slotted at the #4 pick. Possiblilites are endless (besides the #1 QB taken by the Jags).

htownfan32
11-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Jake Matthews please, it would be nice to have another competent Aggie on this team other than Shane Lechler :kitten:

TEXANRED
11-10-2013, 08:49 PM

#1 pick = an OT (unless QB).yep! I am on the Jake Matthews bandwagon. Give me two stud OT's.

Bulls on Parade
11-10-2013, 09:09 PM

No gamble. Give up some picks to make it happen. This guy is a man amongst boys. I remember being high on Julius Peppers and hating the C*** pick. I like Clowney twice as much. This guy is legit.
You do realize if the Texans keep losing, now seven losses in a row, that they will be in position to draft Clowney with a top two pick? Losing out isn't entirely impossible for a 2-14 record. If that happens it's just a matter of whether or not Tampa Bay lost a couple games separating us from the first overall pick or the second overall pick. Tampa Bay nearly beat the Seahawks last week. I think they will beat the Dolphins tomorrow night for their first win of the season.

Rey
11-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Quessenberry should be given a shot at RT.

TEXANRED
11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
You do realize if the Texans keep losing, now seven losses in a row, that they will be in position to draft Clowney with a top two pick? Losing out isn't entirely impossible for a 2-14 record. If that happens it's just a matter of whether or not Tampa Bay lost a couple games separating us from the first overall pick or the second overall pick. Tampa Bay nearly beat the Seahawks last week. I think they will beat the Dolphins tomorrow night for their first win of the season.

Clowney? No thanks. Dont need a guy to shut down to protect his own interests at the detriment of the team.

TEXANRED
11-10-2013, 09:29 PM

That depends on what the new coaching staff is looking for in their olinemen.

steelbtexan
11-10-2013, 09:29 PM
If the Texans finish in the top 4 and Cleveland comes calling with an RG3 type deal I jump all over that.

steelbtexan
11-10-2013, 09:32 PM

I would be for that,

It's much easier to find a G than it is an OT.

With that said if Matthews is there when the Texans pick Rick should run the card up to God'ell.

Does everybody realize how close this yrs Texans are to being 0-9?

djohn2oo8
11-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Gotta get a pass rusher.

bhsman
11-10-2013, 09:45 PM
If the Texans finish in the top 4 and Cleveland comes calling with an RG3 type deal I jump all over that.

Same; I'd be down for a Clowney or Hundley/Manziel-type pick otherwise but trading down in that position could mean a lot.

Naija Texan
11-10-2013, 10:12 PM
I honestly wanted to use the first pick on a left guard but the way this team is going, short of us trading down for multiple picks, I can't see us not using it on a QB.

The combine is some ways away however but our main positions of concern seem to be QB, LG (because unlike Right Tackle, we don't really have a true potential successor for that position) ILB (because as bad as Brooks Reed is I don't see the team using another draft pick higher then another 4th rounder on the position, meanwhile who knows what will happen to Cushing), CB (even if we retain Jonathan Joseph we need a slot corner back if Harris isn't the answer) and maybe defensive line depending on if we go after a true NT to play the center of the D line or if we get a DE to replace a potentially departing Antonio Smith.

All that being said, time will tell and regardless of the administration moves, I hope we retain the players on our team that have been shown to be proven talents and have them be given chances at competing.

beerlover
11-10-2013, 10:43 PM
not sure anymore what the disconnect is?

Home run 1st rd. picks for Texans showed up today in the form of Andre Johnson & JJ Watt but who else? Cushing is out for the second straight season, Kareem has a rib injury, Merciuls was close but no cigar in the sack category. Hopkins is taking baby steps as he continues to flash plus hands. Together there is just not enough production from too few players, depth is & has been an issue since expansion. Drop off between 1st & 2nd string now seems like the Grand Canyon. Go down the roster & you might find more back-up's than actual starters playing. Makes me think trading down on a continuous basis & stock piling future picks a solid strategy to build & maintain better stability over time. Otherwise no reason why Texans should take a dive every 3-4 years.

If Texans can't trade down & have to make a pick right now, in the top 5, I'd look hard & long @ Texas A&M Jake Matthews & Johnny Manziel.

Wolf6151
11-10-2013, 11:03 PM
I realize the trade value charts aren't an exact science, they're just a guide, but they're the best thing we've got for now. The #4 pick is worth 1800 pts.. If we traded down to #21 worth 800 pts., thus a difference of 1000 pts., we should be able to pick up a high 2nd, high 3rd, and high 4th. That hypothetical high 4th could also be a 3rd in 2015. At pick #21 we could still get a very good CB, DT, or OT and then with two high 2nd round picks we could fill ILB and a good QB prospect (Murray or McCarron). With two high 3rd round picks we could get a good Safety, and also fill one of the other unfilled needs at ILB, OLB, or some quality O-line depth etc... If we draft right that gives us 5 picks in the top 70 players. That's the possibility of filling 5 holes in one draft with quality talent, something few teams are able to accomplish. It could also put us back into the playoffs possibly within a year. All of this hinges on 1 decision to make, is Keenum the future at QB or do we use that high 1st round pick on a POSSIBLE franchise QB like Mariota or Hundley?

Glad I'm not the GM that has to make that decision. If it were me making that decision I'd bet on Keenum being the future at QB and then hedge my bet with a QB pick in the upper 2nd round.

steelbtexan
11-10-2013, 11:19 PM
I realize the trade value charts aren't an exact science, they're just a guide, but they're the best thing we've got for now. The #4 pick is worth 1800 pts.. If we traded down to #21 worth 800 pts., thus a difference of 1000 pts., we should be able to pick up a high 2nd, high 3rd, and high 4th. That hypothetical high 4th could also be a 3rd in 2015. At pick #21 we could still get a very good CB, DT, or OT and then with two high 2nd round picks we could fill ILB and a good QB prospect (Murray or McCarron). With two high 3rd round picks we could get a good Safety, and also fill one of the other unfilled needs at ILB, OLB, or some quality O-line depth etc... If we draft right that gives us 5 picks in the top 70 players. That's the possibility of filling 5 holes in one draft with quality talent, something few teams are able to accomplish. It could also put us back into the playoffs possibly within a year. All of this hinges on 1 decision to make, is Keenum the future at QB or do we use that high 1st round pick on a POSSIBLE franchise QB like Mariota or Hundley?

Glad I'm not the GM that has to make that decision. If it were me making that decision I'd bet on Keenum being the future at QB and then hedge my bet with a QB pick in the upper 2nd round.

I want a RG3 type trade from a QB needy team like the Browns. Give me both of their 1st this yr and a 3rd plus a 2015 1st. Since the Texans only seem to hit on 1st rd picks.

I dont want Rick/Gary/Wade making those picks.

leebigeztx
11-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Joe Thomas is a great tackle,but his team haven't made the playoffs ever! I'm sure rams really like the draft picks,but in his 1st yr,rg3 took a bad defense to the playoffs. I say this all the time,if you have a high 1st rd grade on a qb and you can get him,you gotta do it. Being right on a qb is the best way to guarantee your team success in this era.

badboy
11-11-2013, 08:17 AM

#1 pick = an OT (unless QB).Yeah, despite my defense of Newton it is time to realize we should go RT. Newton, if and when healthy, could prove to be a solid back up but cannot wait any longer. The way this line played yesterday, we should draft 4 OL; even Duane Brown looked pathetic. I keep hearing he plays against the best, well he is supposed to be among the best so play like it! At least Newton was a 7th not a 1st.

Texian
11-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't think you can ever pass on a franchise QB if one is available.

badboy
11-11-2013, 08:46 AM
depending on where we draft either we should move back or trade into the 1st round again to grab himHe looked like a superstar against LSU but we should be able to get our pick in second round of Christian Jones, A J Johnson and Yawin Smallwood. Either should step in as starter. I also like Andrew Jackson and Skov has looked good (healthy) but these two are strictly bangers not coverage guys. If we had better and deeper DBs, I would go with one of them. I have spent days adjusting my Texans' board to get best guy for our needs but will post later today. Let's say you take Mosely who do you go after for RT, corner, safety and nose? For example, other than Ogbuehi (Texas A&M) a junior who should pull a Matthews and return to school and move up, who is a plug and play T? IMO, only JaWuan James Tennessee fits, but not a 2nd. I have rated him an early 4th, but if you wait & miss him, uh oh. The only alternative would be to move Q to RT but I really want him at LG.

mussop
11-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah, despite my defense of Newton it is time to realize we should go RT. Newton, if and when healthy, could prove to be a solid back up but cannot wait any longer. The way this line played yesterday, we should draft 4 OL; even Duane Brown looked pathetic. I keep hearing he plays against the best, well he is supposed to be among the best so play like it! At least Newton was a 7th not a 1st.

I high first round pick on a LT yes. On a RT no!!!!

steelbtexan
11-11-2013, 10:46 AM
I high first round pick on a LT yes. On a RT no!!!!

While I agree with you if Matthews is there you take him. BPA at a position of need. Eventually Matthews shifts over to LT. Brooks and Matthews would be the best right side run blockers that this team has ever had.

This one pick would solidify the OL for yrs. Brooks will look much better with a stud like Matthews next to him.

htownfan32
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I want a RG3 type trade from a QB needy team like the Browns. Give me both of their 1st this yr and a 3rd plus a 2015 1st. Since the Texans only seem to hit on 1st rd picks.

I dont want Rick/Gary/Wade making those picks.

The Browns probably don't agree with me but I think Hoyer is franchise material.

Blake
11-11-2013, 11:28 AM
We need to spend our top 5 pick on a QB. And trade up if necessary.

WolverineFan
11-11-2013, 12:23 PM

It would be nice if Tampa lost out and got #1. I think they would be more willing to trade back than Jacksonville.

If we could trade up and take Bridgewater and not give up the house, that would be a huge win.

Corrosion
11-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Why , so he can get killed behind the likes of Wade Smith and Derek Newton ... ??? Just take a look at the first and last plays the Texans offense ran yesterday for prime examples.

They really missed Foster yesterday too as he's very good at picking up the right guy in blitz situations , Dennis Johnson made multiple blocking errors in the second half.