PDA

View Full Version : Is the Super Bowl window closing?

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

And Arian Foster is closing in on 27 with multiple injuries over the years.

IlliniJen
10-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Is the SB window ever truly open for a paper tiger?

Trail.Blazr
10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
It appears you just answered the question.
:dangit:

Thorn
10-01-2013, 08:48 AM
If Kubiak is retained as the head coach after this season, the super bowl window will probably stay closed. It'll take some alternate universe scenario for the Texans to win a super bowl as long as Kubiak remains.

Playoffs
10-01-2013, 08:51 AM
No, we haven't lost to the Bills yet.

eriadoc
10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
I voted yes, but I don't think it's closing; I think it closed back in 2011 when Schaub got injured. After the loss to BAL in the playoffs, everyone said the Texans were a healthy Schaub away from going all the way, and it sure felt like they had a real shot. Well, the 2012 Texans and now the 2013 Texans have a healthy Schaub (as healthy as he'll get). No chance. This team is not going to the Super Bowl, and may not win the division.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

Foster's injuries have been muscle pulls. Nothing structural. He's fine. We just can't run him 400 times every year like season. Reed hasn't done anything for us to make me worry about him. Love OD, but we've got replacements. Manning has been a JAG for me. I (and the team) will miss AJ. I'll miss Schaub like I'd miss a severe case of crabs

No, we haven't lost to the Bills yet.

Careful! We have to play the Jags twice.

Exascor
10-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

Of the players listed, only Andre Johnson is going to be tough to replace. Manning is a good but not great safety & Reed hasn't contributed at all. Daniels is good but I don't think we'd miss him too much. That leaves Schaub. In his best years he's been a top 10-12 qb. The last 10 games or so - not even a top 20.

The window closes when a few of your best players will be lost. Watt, Cushing, D Brown, Foster, Mercilus (and possibly Hopkins & Swearinger) are the young core of the team. Add an elite qb and this team will be in the hunt every year.

BullNation4Life
10-01-2013, 09:41 AM
closing? With Matt Schaub at the QB position and Gary Kubiak calling the plays, can we truly say the window was ever really open to begin with?

Different coach and QB, the window is wide the hell open, but with THIS duo, it got cracked a little bit but just enough to get Texan fans hopes up...

TheIronDuke
10-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Why do we still have Ravens fans trolling here?

rmartin65
10-01-2013, 09:46 AM

I would not call this trolling- it is a legitimate question.

As for the OP- yes and no. I think the near term (1-3 years) opportunity is closing, if not already closed. However, we have some young talent (Watt, Hopkins) who, with some good drafting, could have a another window open up.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Long recognized as one of the most intelligent birds, the raven also has a less than savory image throughout history as a scavenger that does not discriminate between humans and animals.

PBS (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/ravens/introduction/1506/)

;)

YeaLikeRightNow
10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I would not call this trolling- it is a legitimate question.

As for the OP- yes and no. I think the near term (1-3 years) opportunity is closing, if not already closed. However, we have some young talent (Watt, Hopkins) who, with some good drafting, could have a another window open up.

Should of happened last year, but our immediate window I believe has closed. Two to three years down the road, I can see it opening again. With a new coach and a healthy, promising quarterback, we can get there.

Thorn
10-01-2013, 09:50 AM

handswarmer has shown himself to be a good citizen, not a troll. Besides the question is a good one.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

I don't think it's so much the age of our core players, but the fact that we've been good enough to win the Super Bowl for the last three years. You can only reasonably believe you're that good for so long. You can only reasonably expect an organization to believe it for a shorter period of time.

I'm sure a big factor in the Ravens' belief was that they "knew" it was now or never; their last real shot.

I'm afraid we're going to start seeing & hearing the company line than actual belief that we can get it done.

TheIronDuke
10-01-2013, 10:11 AM
This isn't a trolling question if asked by a Texans fan but it is if asked by an opposing team's fan who has no reason to be here.

Anyways:

Andre Johnson 32- Still has gas in the tank and a competent #2 who is already showing promise that he can be a #1

Owen Daniels 30- Never worried about TE with the Texans, Graham is his replacement and can do all OD does.

Matt Schaub 32- Can't win a Super Bowl with him anyway so we will need to get a new QB regardless.

Daniel Manning 31- Swearinger will be his replacement.

Ed Reed 35- Was a one-year rental who will retire after this year, don't think the Texans really thought he is our FS of the future obviously.

Foster- 27- See TE, we can get RB's anywhere, Cierre Wood is going to be a beast.

Joseph- 30 I think- you didn't include but this is the most concern because we aren't so great at finding CB's.

Every team has players who get older, the key as any Ravens fan should know is drafting. Which the Texans are pretty damn good at. Not as good as the Ravens but I do trust the FO to draft for the most part except mid round CB's.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, the 2012 Texans and now the 2013 Texans have a healthy Schaub (as healthy as he'll get). No chance. This team is not going to the Super Bowl, and may not win the division.

Schaub is healthier now than he was in 2011.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
handswarmer has shown himself to be a good citizen, not a troll. Besides the question is a good one.

Say that Flacco parts his hair wrong & let the troll out.

But overall, yeah. Not a bad guy.

eriadoc
10-01-2013, 10:18 AM

He performed better in the last quarter of the 2011 season.

infantrycak
10-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Wild accusation. There is absolutely no basis for saying Schaub is healthier now than he was pre-injury 2011.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Wild accusation. There is absolutely no basis for saying Schaub is healthier now than he was pre-injury 2011.

Maybe I should have prefaced that with, imo.

infantrycak
10-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe I should have prefaced that with, imo.

I don't care if you preface it with God, Anubis and Vishnu appeared to you and told you he is healthier now, there is not a single shred of objective evidence pointing to greater health now and there is a whole lot that points otherwise.

LEATHERHEAD
10-01-2013, 10:51 AM
I vote Yes damn i hate to say it. 1 Bad thing Andrew Luck..Sorry but that dude has upside, and our QB is going backwards.

LEATHERHEAD
10-01-2013, 10:52 AM
hell we will be lucky to be in the hunt for a Wildcard spot

steelbtexan
10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
As long as Watt and Cushing are here it remains open.

However as long as Gary/Matt are here the window will remain closed.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 10:55 AM
I don't care if you preface it with God, Anubis and Vishnu appeared to you and told you he is healthier now, there is not a single shred of objective evidence pointing to greater health now and there is a whole lot that points otherwise.

What evidence? Bad decisions? Is his decision making organ being protected by his LisFranc?

He throws for 300 yards in the first half & 2 TDs, then his LisFranc starts throbbing so he throws a pic 6 in the second?

Or maybe he's choking under pressure like he always has.....

He's lighter, he appears to be moving much better than even 2011.

In my opinion, the evidence is out there but overshadowed by some bone headed decisions.

Textan
10-01-2013, 11:03 AM
The two games the Texans won required them to make incredible comebacks. They could easily be 0-4.
Schaub, healthy or not, I have never believed could lead this team to a SB.
Apply a tiny bit of pressure and the guy becomes a catastrophic mistake waiting to happen.
Kubiak is aggressive and conservative at the wrong times.
But, overall I believe the biggest obstacle is Schaub.

eriadoc
10-01-2013, 11:07 AM
What evidence? Bad decisions? Is his decision making organ being protected by his LisFranc?

He throws for 300 yards in the first half & 2 TDs, then his LisFranc starts throbbing so he throws a pic 6 in the second?

Or maybe he's choking under pressure like he always has.....

He's lighter, he appears to be moving much better than even 2011.

In my opinion, the evidence is out there but overshadowed by some bone headed decisions.

He's been throwing off his back foot since he came back. He's floating balls and not getting them in where he used to. He's never had a strong arm, but at least you never had to worry about the short stuff with him before. Now he's not planting properly. As far as decision making goes, I think he's making decisions on what he thinks his body can still do.

All just speculation, of course, but he's not as on target as he used to be, even when he completes the ball, and it's not like he was Troy Aikman accurate before.

infantrycak
10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
His being lighter is meaningless. He lost 5 lbs of a 240 lb frame. Heck half the MB members could do that by not drinking beer for 1 week. Mexican food and a discussion with a man about a horse would have the same swing.

Schaub was getting the ball down the field dramatically better pre-lisfranc. His ypa was almost 2 yards or about 30% higher than this year. He was on pace for 62 20+ and 16 40+ passing plays. Now it is 56 20 + and 0 40+. Pre-injury he was going for 34 attempts thrown over 30 yards. This season 0. It isn't just decision making.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2013, 11:16 AM
All just speculation, of course, but he's not as on target as he used to be, even when he completes the ball, and it's not like he was Troy Aikman accurate before.

Not that it ultimately matters to this conversation, but that's kind of revisionist history there because Matt Schaub has a higher completion percentage and a lower interception percentage than Aikman.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
He's been throwing off his back foot since he came back.

He's floating balls and not getting them in where he used to.

None of this is true. last game in particular he was rotating his hips transferring his weight to his front foot well into OT. A few were thrown off his back foot, but that's football. Lisfranc or no, a QB is going to do what he's been told never to do since pony & throw off his back foot because things rarely go the way you plan it once you snap the ball.

The first INT had plenty of zip, demonstrated by the bounce it took off the defenders hand.

He threw one high to OD (Owen had to jump & turn in the air to catch the ball when no one was around him) but Matt had to throw the ball over a 6 foot DLman with his arm outstretched.

You're not going to inaccurately float a bunch of balls against the "Legion of Boom" for 300 yards & 2 TDs in a half.

Schaub was getting the ball down the field dramatically better pre-lisfranc. His ypa was almost 2 yards or about 30% higher than this year. He was on pace for 62 20+ and 16 40+ passing plays. Now it is 56 20 + and 0 40+. Pre-injury he was going for 34 attempts thrown over 30 yards. This season 0. It isn't just decision making.

All these stats, are they from the first 4 games of every season? If not, they're irrelevant.

Teams are playing us a certain way now. Seattle wasn't going to let us cut back on them or run a bootleg. That's going to change if Tate & Arian keeps gashing them on the front side.

Baltimore was staying on top, not just over Aj, but keeping our offense in front of them. Unless we get desperate, we're not going to challenge them. There is no reason to if we continue to move the chains. That's going to change once teams realize that's not working either (so far it's working because we're shooting ourselves in the foot). We're still top 10 in offense, just need to work on the scoring.

Schaub takes what the defense gives him. If they're giving him 30+ yard passes, he'll take them.

eriadoc
10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Not that it ultimately matters to this conversation, but that's kind of revisionist history there because Matt Schaub has a higher completion percentage and a lower interception percentage than Aikman.

I'm talking about accuracy, not stats. When Schaub throws the ball to a wide open AJ, but AJ has to jump in the air to grab it, that's a completion. When AJ has to slow up for a long pass and gets tackled because of it, that's a completion. Those get marked down at 100% completion rate. That's not accurate. There's a distinction. Wasn't blasting the guy, but just saying he's never been the QB that can knock the wings off a gnat at 30 yards. Aikman was.

ObsiWan
10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

Interesting that you would be the one to ask this question since your team went a decade+ between SB appearances.

The Ravens' SB win, both of Eli's SB wins, Roethelisberger's first SB win and the AZ Cardinals' SB appearance are all proof that all you need is to get hot at the right time to win a SB ring.

Unless Uncle Bob does a Bud Adams and blows up a perfectly good team (because he got the red@55) then we'll have a shot.

What you're really asking - so you can snicker at us to your self - is have we given up on our team?

No.

And yeah, that's a Troll question.

infantrycak
10-01-2013, 12:22 PM
All these stats, are they from the first 4 games of every season? If not, they're irrelevant.

Just because you say it doesn't make them irrelevant and it makes no sense to assert they are.

Teams are playing us a certain way now. Seattle wasn't going to let us cut back on them or run a bootleg. That's going to change if Tate & Arian keeps gashing them on the front side.

Baltimore was staying on top, not just over Aj, but keeping our offense in front of them. Unless we get desperate, we're not going to challenge them. There is no reason to if we continue to move the chains. That's going to change once teams realize that's not working either (so far it's working because we're shooting ourselves in the foot). We're still top 10 in offense, just need to work on the scoring.

Schaub takes what the defense gives him. If they're giving him 30+ yard passes, he'll take them.

Teams didn't set out to play us differently this year although they certainly will as they see the things which are not working as well. But even there, no rushing game or league leading rushing game the Texans used to throw deeper.

Scooter
10-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

JJ Watt - 24
Deandre Hopkins - 21
Kareem Jackson - 25
Brian Cushing - 26
Garrett Graham - 27
Whitney Mercilus - 23
Duane Brown - 28
Brandon Brooks - 24
DJ Swearinger - 22

our window is getting bigger, not smaller.

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Just because you say it doesn't make them irrelevant and it makes no sense to assert they are.

Yes it does.

Now you are in la la land. Teams didn't set out to play us differently this year although they certainly will as they see the things which are not working as well. But even there, no rushing game or league leading rushing game the Texans used to throw deeper.

See, I can be a total dck & ask you for your evidence when you spout out your opinion, but I'm not like you.

However, if you watched Baltimore who I presented as an example, you'll see they did exactly what I said they did. If you watch Seattle, you'll see they did exactly what I said they did.

To prove your point, you would need evidence of a reciever wide open 30+ yards down the field & Matt totally ignore him.

We've yet to see one bootleg work to perfection because of the way teams are playing us.... they expect it. & if we've seen it, it's been rare that Matt has been able to take a 7 step drop or sit around & wait for a 30+ yard route to develop.

We have seen him scramble & get out of the pocket much better than he had at the end of last season & though it's been 2 years ago, I believe he's moving as well as he did before the injury.

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Interesting that you would be the one to ask this question since your team went a decade+ between SB appearances.
In between that decade, my team appeared in the Playoffs 7 other times with 2 appearances in the AFC Championship game- not sure what your point is.

The Ravens' SB win, both of Eli's SB wins, Roethelisberger's first SB win and the AZ Cardinals' SB appearance are all proof that all you need is to get hot at the right time to win a SB ring.
I have yet to find in the list of Super Bowl Champions which team that got cold yet still won? That's an over used cliché.

What you're really asking - so you can snicker at us to your self - is have we given up on our team?

No.

And yeah, that's a Troll question.
I asked for peoples opinions. No snickering here but you can be obsessed with the word "troll".....1997 called- they want their Interweb terminology back.

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 12:43 PM
JJ Watt - 24
Deandre Hopkins - 21
Kareem Jackson - 25
Brian Cushing - 26
Garrett Graham - 27
Whitney Mercilus - 23
Duane Brown - 28
Brandon Brooks - 24
DJ Swearinger - 22

our window is getting bigger, not smaller.

My question would be, who do you value more on both lists?

ATXtexanfan
10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Schaub painted the window shut when he got his extension

Scooter
10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
My question would be, who do you value more on both lists?

the only irreplaceable player on your list is andre johnson, but we just took hopkins in the first round. we want matt gone. tate's outperforming foster. graham and daniels are the same person. ed reed's just here for a year or two and training swearinger. the only missing player from your list that doesnt have someone behind him already is daniel manning.

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 12:49 PM
the only irreplaceable player on your list is andre johnson, but we just took hopkins in the first round. we want matt gone. tate's outperforming foster. graham and daniels are the same person. ed reed's just here for a year or two and training swearinger. the only missing player from your list that doesnt have someone behind him already is daniel manning.

Is Tate an adequate replacement for Foster?

Playoffs
10-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Because Flacco is coming off a 5 INTs loss to the Bills, and as bad as Schaub has been Flacco has been worse.

Scooter
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
to add to my previous post, this is what we've waited for though. being an expansion team it takes a long time to get your home grown talent into their late stages. you should know that first hand watching ray and ed leading suggs, ngata, and webb. you need the older players on the field to add balance, wisdom, and experience. it's definitely a bonus to have guys like reed and andre and myers sprinkled through the lineup to direct and influence the younger talent.

we're BETTER for finally having players on the wrong side of 30. of course you dont want the whole team getting old, but you definitely want players on the roster who have been there and done that. and you especially want players who have spent most of their careers on the team, like andre.

ObsiWan
10-01-2013, 12:59 PM
In between that decade, my team appeared in the Playoffs 7 other times with 2 appearances in the AFC Championship game- not sure what your point is.
We're just starting our decade. We are now, what you guys were in 2000. Solid running game? check.
Stout, often imposing defense? Check.
Solid play at the TE position? Check.
Suspect QB play...? Unfortunately, check here too.
Sound familiar?

I have yet to find in the list of Super Bowl Champions which team that got cold yet still won? That's an over used cliché.
Point taken on the over-used thing. But does that make it less true?

I asked for peoples opinions. No snickering here but you can be obsessed with the word "troll".....1997 called- they want their Interweb terminology back.
I just wonder why a Ravens' fan would care if the Texans' fan base thought "the window was closing" (speaking of overused cliches').
So why do you care?

Scooter
10-01-2013, 01:00 PM

if healthy, tate is as capable - especially now. similar to johnson in kansas city or alexander in seattle, foster has the look of a runningback that got too many carries and is out of gas. right now tate is the better player, and will probably continue to be.

TexanBacker93
10-01-2013, 01:11 PM
closing? With Matt Schaub at the QB position and Gary Kubiak calling the plays, can we truly say the window was ever really open to begin with?

Different coach and QB, the window is wide the hell open, but with THIS duo, it got cracked a little bit but just enough to get Texan fans hopes up...

I have to agree with this.

However, in today's NFL where parity reigns and teams go from the 1st pick in the draft to playoff challengers no team (well, maybe one) has a closed window. You might see a couple of divisions this year with 8-8 teams winning. The difference between a bad team and a good team comes down to a couple of key plays in each game. You could argue that without the pick 6 against the Ravens and the pick 6 against the Seahawks we could be 4-0. Or without Cushing's pick 6 or the safety against the Titans we could be 0-4.

We have a great core right now. We are a head coach away from being a great team as well. We're still in the playoff mix, but to be serious challengers Kubiak can't be our leader.

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 01:20 PM
We're just starting our decade. We are now, what you guys were in 2000. Solid running game? check.
Stout, often imposing defense? Check.
Solid play at the TE position? Check.
Suspect QB play...? Unfortunately, check here too.
Sound familiar?
You are a few years late. The ravens defense WON games and is considered one of the two best ever- especially hard to do since the advent of FA and rules changes.

Texans as team are much better offensively than the ravens were.

Point taken on the over-used thing. But does that make it less true?
Yes, because I could go back and look at all last 10 SB winners and find teams the played well all year long also.

I just wonder why a Ravens' fan would care if the Texans' fan base thought "the window was closing" (speaking of overused cliches').
So why do you care?

I enjoy talking about all aspects of football- except Fantasy Football- I loathe FF....I got a little bile in my throat typing that....

ObsiWan
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
I enjoy talking about all aspects of football- except Fantasy Football- I loathe FF....I got a little bile in my throat typing that....

I never said, nor am I attempting to imply that getting hot at the right time is always the answer. Obviously it's much better to play solid football throughout the year. My point is that playing solid football for the whole season isn't the be-all/end-all. Heck you should know this, if year-long, solid football always guaranteed a championship, then the Pats would have ended up 19-0. Or Peyton would have run you guys out of Mile High Stadium last winter.

fiasco west
10-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Some would argue now that Tate is the better RB.

Although I think Foster is still the better more complete back, the Texans for WHATEVER reason don't use him in the pass game as much as they used to. They did this previous game and he had glimmers of what he used to be.

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I never said, nor am I attempting to imply that getting hot at the right time is always the answer. Obviously it's much better to play solid football throughout the year. My point is that playing solid football for the whole season isn't the be-all/end-all. Heck you should know this, if year-long, solid football always guaranteed a championship, then the Pats would have ended up 19-0. Or Peyton would have run you guys out of Mile High Stadium last winter.

fair enough- Broncos were playing well all yea, Ravens came on at the end. 49ers came on at end of season, Falcons have been reg season champs forever...

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 02:29 PM
fair enough- Broncos were playing well all yea, Ravens came on at the end. 49ers came on at end of season, Falcons have been reg season champs forever...

Peyton looked horrible in that game.

Just like any QB, he's hell until you pop him in the mouth. Problem is most teams can't pop him in the mouth.

Consistently. Unfortunately, he sees more of those teams in the play-offs than he does all year. Unfortunately for him.

HouTx11
10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Peyton looked horrible in that game.

Just like any QB, he's hell until you pop him in the mouth. Problem is most teams can't pop him in the mouth.

Consistently. Unfortunately, he sees more of those teams in the play-offs than he does all year. Unfortunately for him.

The problem with Manning is..........if a defender even looks at him in a mean way it is a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty.

Getting back to Schaub, I'm one of those who believes that Schaub wouldn't have gotten us to the Super Bowl if he never suffered his injury. He might have gotten us past Baltimore and into the title game (big might) . TJ did throw some bad INTs in that game, but knowing who Schaub is even by the way he played back in 2010, the outcome might have still been the same.

handswarmer
10-02-2013, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=TexanBacker93;2220237]

The difference between a bad team and a good team comes down to a couple of key plays in each game. You could argue that without the pick 6 against the Ravens and the pick 6 against the Seahawks we could be 4-0. Or without Cushing's pick 6 or the safety against the Titans we could be 0-4. [QUOTE]

Luck plays a huge factor on the road to success; its a razor thin line sometimes. Those 4 plays could determine your season as well as 1 or two more....

Norg
10-02-2013, 12:35 PM
the SB window never closes has long has u hit on your draft picks and F/a pick and undrafted / street pickups ups ............... period

HJam72
10-02-2013, 12:48 PM
the SB window never closes has long has u hit on your draft picks and F/a pick and undrafted / street pickups ups ............... period

We've got a loooong list of high talent players on this team & I agree with the quoted. JJ Watt is the best player on this team & he is one of the youngest, & he won't be the last star anyway--heck, we just got Hopkins. The door may be slowly closing for AJ regarding a SB, & that's a sad thing, but it's not closing for the team. I wouldn't give up on Smith, Kubiak, or Phillips, but Schaub could be slowly on his way out....and, no, I don't see McNair letting Kubiak go just because he's stuck on Schaub (if it comes to that).

Exascor
10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't give up on Smith, Kubiak, or Phillips, but Schaub could be slowly on his way out....and, no, I don't see McNair letting Kubiak go just because he's stuck on Schaub (if it comes to that). I'm a Kubiak supporter but his biggest flaw is loyalty. If, and that's a big if, the team has a clearly better option at qb or at least the potential to draft one and Kubiak says no, McNair needs to force his hand like he supposedly did with the dc. I think he would - at least if he feels that way himself.

Exascor
10-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Damn HJam72. Sorry. Sounded like I was harping on that one point. I actually agree with everything you said other than the McNair/Kubiak/Schaub thing. Tapatalk sucks to post with.

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Super Bowl? With one foot in the grave already? The window is closing.........and the door doesn't look too promising either.

Surreal McCoy
10-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Anyone who has ever believed we've had a Super Bowl calibre team has not watched much football.

Lucky
10-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Anyone who has ever believed we've had a Super Bowl calibre team has not watched much football.
So you believe that when the Texans were sitting at 11-1 last season heading into the MNF game with New England, those that thought the Texans were Super Bowl contenders were NFL neophytes? Because I could come up with a list of NFL commentators a mile long that suggested just that at that time.

If the Texans have never been contenders, 8 years into the Smithiak era, you must think the Texans are spinning their wheels with the current football organization. Right?

steelbtexan
10-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Where are those BoB/Smubiak pompoms?

Norg
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
to win a SB there has to be a bit of luck involved

in the playoffs the team that wins usually has like 3 or 4 big plays like either the other team inflicts self damage or like some freak catch or something on ST

and same with the SB game like 2 or 3 plays

so its like 6 PLays are the difference between the playoff teams

Corrosion
10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
The things I would do for a capable QB ....

The window is closed on Schaub IMO , he's never been the same guy since the shoulder injury & the lisfranc just compounded the issues. He's gone from solid game manager to .... a mistake waiting to happen.

The rest of the team I believe has several seasons of hope in front of them ... pending they can find a suitable qb.

chicagotexan2
10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
It's not closing but the two idiot contractors have painted the window pane and its stuck.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 07:28 AM
The things I would do for a capable QB ....

The window is closed on Schaub IMO , he's never been the same guy since the shoulder injury & the lisfranc just compounded the issues. He's gone from solid game manager to .... a mistake waiting to happen.

I'm pretty close to being my old "don't believe what I'm saying" Optimistic self again, so... might as well start now.

Joe Flacco sucks. He sucked last year from September to December. If that fck can win a Super Bowl while Ray Rice was AWOL & Baltimore's bend but don't break defense really stretched the definition of bend & break...

The rest of the team I believe has several seasons of hope in front of them ... pending they can find a suitable qb.

Schaub can get it done if Arian can be that dynamic workhorse we remember & our defense can play like they have the last 4 games.

We just need Schaub to be able to recognize when failure is not an option & be good enough at that time to put our team in position to score. For that last game, it was after the Lynch fumble. A TD there would have been the dagger to put Seattle to bed & get them thinking about the plane ride home.

jmo.

& yes, I absolutely believe he can get it done in those situations. In that particular situation, all he had to do was set his feet & take a look in the back of the end zone. He got out of the pocket & bought himself some time. Just didn't use it to the best of his ability.

Blake
10-03-2013, 08:20 AM
I dont think of SB windows as closing. You are either a SB caliber team or not.

Are the 1-3 Falcons window closing? 2-2 49ers? 2-2 Bengals?

mridge01
10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
When was it ever open for this franchise exactly?:kitten:

cuppacoffee
10-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Bowl? With one foot in the grave already? The window is closing.........and the door doesn't look too promising either.

Have to agree here. ^

Window is slammed shut, nailed down, bricked over.

Am I the only one who noticed AJ's body language while sitting on the bench late in the game. Resignation has set in on AJ. He will say all the right things, always has, but the look was undeniable. He knows.

:coffee:

cuppacoffee
10-04-2013, 08:12 AM
to win a SB there has to be a bit of luck involved

in the playoffs the team that wins usually has like 3 or 4 big plays like either the other team inflicts self damage or like some freak catch or something on ST

and same with the SB game like 2 or 3 plays

so its like 6 PLays are the difference between the playoff teams

Like the Texans propensity to throw pick sixes?

cuppacoffee
10-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty close to being my old "don't believe what I'm saying" Optimistic self again, so... might as well start now.

Joe Flacco sucks. He sucked last year from September to December. If that fck can win a Super Bowl while Ray Rice was AWOL & Baltimore's bend but don't break defense really stretched the definition of bend & break...

Schaub can get it done if Arian can be that dynamic workhorse we remember & our defense can play like they have the last 4 games.

We just need Schaub to be able to recognize when failure is not an option & be good enough at that time to put our team in position to score. For that last game, it was after the Lynch fumble. A TD there would have been the dagger to put Seattle to bed & get them thinking about the plane ride home.

jmo.

& yes, I absolutely believe he can get it done in those situations. In that particular situation, all he had to do was set his feet & take a look in the back of the end zone. He got out of the pocket & bought himself some time. Just didn't use it to the best of his ability.

Speaking of optimism. Hang in there TK.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Am I the only one who noticed AJ's body language while sitting on the bench late in the game. Resignation has set in on AJ. He will say all the right things, always has, but the look was undeniable. He knows.

It's his own fault. If anyone can do anything about it, it's him. He don't need to go all T.O. on Schaub, but a little bit of:

http://cdn.niketalk.com/4/4d/4d4674a3_716e6aa915c7c2d1d755e4373f02c893.jpeg

could go a long way.

Bulls on Parade
10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
The Texans do have a lot of good young talent as well. Even after some of the older players on the team retire we should still be in pretty good shape. The question will be whether or not we can get lucky and find ourselves a franchise quarterback for the many years ahead. I'm sure 31 other NFL teams ask themselves that same question when their current quarterback is old. What will the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots look like in a few years? They will probably suck and pick high in the draft for a couple years in a row.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Sure it is closing. It's kind of like buying a new car. The moment you drive it off the car lot, it loses value. It's the natural evolution of things. You build it up, over time, it loses pieces, or those pieces get worn out. Everything that rises must fall. Except taxes.

cuppacoffee
10-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Sure it is closing. It's kind of like buying a new car. The moment you drive it off the car lot, it loses value. It's the natural evolution of things. You build it up, over time, it loses pieces, or those pieces get worn out. Everything that rises must fall. Except taxes.

Did Texan fans buy a Yugo?

Trap_Star
10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Flacco's rear opening has yet to close after that Bills' game.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Did Texan fans buy a Yugo?

No.. they bought a Schaub. Hahahahaha!

Surreal McCoy
10-04-2013, 03:27 PM
So you believe that when the Texans were sitting at 11-1 last season heading into the MNF game with New England, those that thought the Texans were Super Bowl contenders were NFL neophytes? Because I could come up with a list of NFL commentators a mile long that suggested just that at that time.

If the Texans have never been contenders, 8 years into the Smithiak era, you must think the Texans are spinning their wheels with the current football organization. Right?

And suddenly the commentators are knowledgeable...

I don't know if they're spinning their wheels or not - I'm not an NFL GM and I don't pretend to be one on here. It's simply an opinion, one I think is rather viable.

Hervoyel
10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I've been watching this poll for days and have decided that there is no "Super Bowl window". Was the Colts window closed after Peyton went out the door? Certainly Two years later does it look like they're back in the hunt? Absolutely. Year in and year out does New England ever talk about their window closing? Hell no. Teams in this league that draft well and manage their cap never worry about windows. They can make a run at any time and if the Texans aren't trying to be one of those teams then they're wasting their time and ours.

There is no window for the team. For individual players of course there is but that's true for every player on every team in the league.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I've been watching this poll for days and have decided that there is no "Super Bowl window". Was the Colts window closed after Peyton went out the door? Certainly Two years later does it look like they're back in the hunt? Absolutely. Year in and year out does New England ever talk about their window closing? Hell no. Teams in this league that draft well and manage their cap never worry about windows. They can make a run at any time and if the Texans aren't trying to be one of those teams then they're wasting their time and ours.

There is no window for the team. For individual players of course there is but that's true for every player on every team in the league.

I think a big part of it is having every member of your organization believing you can win. If you've got a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning in your locker room, it's "easier" to believe.

Baltimore's window was closing, may be shut now, may be starting to open again. There are still alot of players on that roster that may continue to believe in what Harbaugh is selling, because they just did it.

Our locker room.... I'm worried it's only a matter of time before our locker room stops believing & start the lip-service game.

gafftop
10-05-2013, 07:21 PM
I think it was cracked a little in 2011.
2012 looked open but not really. Got smoked by good teams.
2013 only open if one of the backup QB's are ready and GK changes philosophy.
Future could change with new QB. (and coach)
My opinion

badboy
10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I voted yes but realize it could easily change. Hopefully, Cushing and D Brown back will help and AJ and Newton will be healthier against niners.

DocBar
10-06-2013, 12:42 AM
He performed better in the last quarter of the 2011 season.Don't know if this got pointed out, but Schaub was on IR for the last quarter of the 2011 season. Did you forget to use the :sarcasm: smilie?

FWIW, I voted no. For all the flak that Smith and Kubiak are getting, they've drafted very well and done very well with UDFA's. We're a QB change away from the Super Bowl. I think that QB is on the roster right now and he just needs to be given the chance. I see that chance coming in the next 2-3 weeks. Schaub will end his career with the Texans on IR (for whatever reason you care to think of) and either Yates or Keenum will lead this team to at least the AFCCG.

JCTexan
10-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

I voted no. Johnson could still have three plus years remaining. Reed was brought in for his leadership and his replacement is already on the roster in Swearinger. The Texans already have two Daniels clones on the roster in Graham & Griffin, so losing OD could just be a cap savings. Manning is a good safety and his replacement isn't currently on the roster, but that is why you have the draft & free agency. The QB is probably the biggest concern with the window closing but Schaub looks replaceable right now. I see a three year window with the current roster as is before some of the main core group of guys (Schaub/Foster/Daniels) are replaced.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Reed was brought in for his leadership and his replacement is already on the roster in Swearinger.

Manning is a good safety and his replacement isn't currently on the roster, but that is why you have the draft & free agency.

The more I watch them play, the less I think this is true. Swearinger is probably Manning's replacement. Manning wasn't horrible last season, but if money was of no concern, I'm sure the Texans would have kept Quin, & let Manning walk. Dman is playing better this year, he's playing a position he's better suited for... but Swearinger looks like insurance in the event DMan wasn't playing well.

If Reed were to miss any significant time, Shilo is the starter. If Manning misses any time, I'm sure Dj would get the start. In that situation, Shilo would drop down to Dj's current position & 35 would play over the top in Dime situations.

Lucky
10-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't know if they're spinning their wheels or not - I'm not an NFL GM and I don't pretend to be one on here. It's simply an opinion, one I think is rather viable.
I'm trying to get my head around what you're saying. On the one hand, you believe the Texans have never had a Super Bowl caliber team. On the other hand, you don't think the Texans window is closing for a Super Bowl (re: poll vote). Are you saying the window isn't closing, because it was never opened?

I would like to know why one has to be a NFL GM to have an opinion on whether the organization is "on the right track". And you never really stated what your opinion was on that.

GoCoogs
10-06-2013, 10:42 AM
A Super Bowl team should be able to win one game out of this stretch against the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers.

DocBar
10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
A Super Bowl team should be able to win one game out of this stretch against the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers.

And the Texans managed to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory. The team needs to find a way to play a full 4 quarters and the coaching staff needs to find away to make needed adjustments for a full 4 quarters. I've drank my weekly :koolaid: and see this game going to Houston on big plays.

GoCoogs
10-06-2013, 11:13 AM
And the Texans managed to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory. The team needs to find a way to play a full 4 quarters and the coaching staff needs to find away to make needed adjustments for a full 4 quarters. I've drank my weekly :koolaid: and see this game going to Houston on big plays.

I would like to drink the Koolaid but everytime I do, I find a roach in the punch bowl. ;)

kingtexan
10-06-2013, 11:16 AM
As long as we have Matt Schaub at QB, I don't see the SB as a realistic expectation.

infantrycak
10-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Super bowls are never reasonable expectations. The team of the era with one of the greatest QBs and a HC with a reputation as a mastermind hasn't won one in 9 years. Frankly their teams which won were not near as formidable as many of them since.

kingtexan
10-06-2013, 11:27 AM
The team of the era with one of the greatest QBs and a HC with a reputation as a mastermind hasn't won one in 9 years.

Amazingly right after they got caught cheating ...

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM

I find it hard to believe a Super Bowl contender would lose 3 in a row.

I would like to drink the Koolaid but everytime I do, I find a roach in the punch bowl. ;)

Dry it out & smoke that mutha.... ain't nothing like BattleRed flavored bud.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Super bowls are never reasonable expectations. The team of the era with one of the greatest QBs and a HC with a reputation as a mastermind hasn't won one in 9 years. Frankly their teams which won were not near as formidable as many of them since.

Exactly.... well, sorta.

Their SB winning teams had above average running games, & purdidamn good defenses. Now, all they've got is Brady. & like the Peyton Manning led Colts they dominate the regular season but run into trouble come January.

infantrycak
10-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Exactly.... well, sorta.

Their SB winning teams had above average running games, & purdidamn good defenses. Now, all they've got is Brady. & like the Peyton Manning led Colts they dominate the regular season but run into trouble come January.

Umm, well sorta.

Since the last SB win the Patriots have only been out of top 10 on offense one year and out of top 10 on D two years on points. Their point differentials have been sick. In 2007 their point differential was higher than the scoring of a third of the league.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Umm, well sorta.

Since the last SB win the Patriots have only been out of top 10 on offense one year and out of top 10 on D two years on points. Their point differentials have been sick. In 2007 their point differential was higher than the scoring of a third of the league.

Where has their running game been? & top 10 in points defensively tells me they were out of the top 10 in yards quite a bit. It's all got to work together & that team has been "too dependent" on their QBs & the QB can't do it by himself, whether it's Schaub, Brees, or Rodgers.

Having a great QB helps, I'm not saying it don't. But if you're "the Bradies" or the "foreheads" as opposed to the Patriots & Colts, you're not going to win a Super Bowl.

burro
10-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah...we won't have a snowball's chance in hell if we don't win the SB this year. Good players can never be replaced and things NEVER change for the better. We'll be doomed to inescapable mediocrity for decades to come, forced back to the bottom of the division where we'll stay until the NFL is driven into bankruptcy by economic depression.

Or it's impossible to predict NFL history beyond a quarter into the future and this thread is stupid.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I think it all depends on Schaub. If he's back to preinjury healht (which I think he is) then the window's wide open.

gafftop
10-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I think it all depends on Schaub. If he's back to preinjury healht (which I think he is) then the window's wide open.

He is a couple of years older. I see him going further downhill as season and years go on.

A better question may be" Is our playoff window closed?"

I think as long as MS is our starting QB it is.

DocBar
10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I think it all depends on Schaub. If he's back to preinjury healht (which I think he is) then the window's wide open.I keep going back to what CnD says about Schaub's foot. Watch the games again and you'll see Schaub throwing off his back foot a lot. I don't think Schaub will ever be back to pre-injury Schaub.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I keep going back to what CnD says about Schaub's foot. Watch the games again and you'll see Schaub throwing off his back foot a lot. I don't think Schaub will ever be back to pre-injury Schaub.

I've watched the games (going back to the last 5 of last year) again & again & I'm not seeing it.

Tailgate
10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
It always closes for every single team but 1 each year. Then reopens to everyone the very next. This is the NFL, so fluid and the idea of this is worthless imo. The right spark can change everything for anyone and fast.

kingtexan
10-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Then reopens to everyone the very next.

You don't really believe that do you?

MistaRed
10-06-2013, 03:36 PM
The more I watch the colts the more I think our window is closing. Look how they handled the same Seattle team we lost too last week. It's very depressing.

Tailgate
10-06-2013, 03:39 PM
You don't really believe that do you?

Oh c'mon. You get the point.

kingtexan
10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Oh c'mon. You get the point.

Maybe, if what you meant to say was that between 8 and 12 teams have a legitimate chance at getting to the SB each year, we happen to have been in that discussion the last two years, and we are wasting the opportunity because we keep starting a horrible QB. Yeah, if that was what you meant ... I get it.

cstyle42
10-06-2013, 03:44 PM
It was never open.

Tailgate
10-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Maybe, if what you meant to say was that between 8 and 12 teams have a legitimate chance at getting to the SB each year, we happen to have been in that discussion the last two years, and we are wasting the opportunity because we keep starting a horrible QB. Yeah, if that was what you meant ... I get it.

The point is the NFL has the most parity of any league around. Everybody knows that. The point is, that you just never know. Schaub may not even be here next year, and simply replacing him is the "spark" I spoke of. Its not like we draft terrible or anything. The whole discussion is flawed because there is only 1 team each year, and its damn difficult to make it to that game, let alone win it. The Chiefs came out of nowhere and there typically is a team that does this just about every year. Everyone thought the Colts "window" would have been closed for quite sometime. You just never know how things are going to play out from year to year.

The OP listed a few players age as his point. So what? AJ. We drafted Hopkins. Reed. We drafted Swearinger. Daniel Manning? Owen Daniels? Really? Foster has a few more years left. AJ has a few more good years left. We have young players sprinkled around. We will have the backbone Watt and Cush all locked up. We know how to put together a roster, and will continue to do so as long as they are allowed to.

htowntexans1985
10-08-2013, 08:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWDemskCEAABZsm.jpg

TD
10-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Been waiting for a Super Bowl since around the age of 12. Now that I'm 50, I am less worried about this group of players' window than I am about the window that is my lifetime. :(

Thorn
10-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Been waiting for a Super Bowl since around the age of 12. Now that I'm 50, I am less worried about this group of players' window than I am about the window that is my lifetime. :(

I know exactly how you feel.

Vinny
10-08-2013, 12:33 PM
yeah, I'm with you on that one. I may never see the end of our next Bob McNair 10 year rebuilding project....this last decade went by so fast.

leebigeztx
10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
The two games the Texans won required them to make incredible comebacks. They could easily be 0-4.
Schaub, healthy or not, I have never believed could lead this team to a SB.
Apply a tiny bit of pressure and the guy becomes a catastrophic mistake waiting to happen.
Kubiak is aggressive and conservative at the wrong times.
But, overall I believe the biggest obstacle is Schaub.

Sign me up for this.I've been saying this also. I also thought they should've drafted wilson or foles in the 3rd last year or geno in the 1st this year. Now we don't even have a qb for the future its lucks division for 10 yrs.

b0ng
10-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I wish your "posting window" was closing as fast as you claim the Texans SB window was closing handswarmer

Hervoyel
10-08-2013, 02:31 PM
There is no window.

It is simply a painting on a wall of a window. Think Wylie Coyote "ACME" painted tunnel.

BullBlitz
10-08-2013, 09:36 PM
The more I watch the colts the more I think our window is closing. Look how they handled the same Seattle team we lost too last week. It's very depressing.

Not to me. It's confirmation that teams that are willing to make tough decisions like to change coaches have a chance to turn themselves around.

If the Texans remain in a rut, as they have for the last 7 years, then they deserve it. Their fate lies within their own decision making.

I voted "no" on whether the Super Bowl window is closing for this team. It was never open with this regime.

Giant Tiger
10-08-2013, 09:48 PM

I'm in this group, too :facepalm:

thunderkyss
10-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Let's see.

Their QB threw 2 TDs. Our QB threw 2 TDs

Their QB lost a fumble, Our QB threw 2 INTs (one returned for 6)

They scored a rushing touchdown, we didn't score a rushing touchdown

Their back up running back doesn't fumble the ball, our back up running back fumbled the ball

They scored a special teams TD, We did not score a special teams touchdown

They sacked Russell Wilson twice, We sacked Russell Wilson 5 times

They did not allow a scoring drive over 90 yards. We allowed a scoring drive over90 yards (TD).

Yeah, Andrew Lucks got this division sewed up.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2013, 10:31 PM
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1021/figy.jpg

handswarmer
10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I wish your "posting window" was closing as fast as you claim the Texans SB window was closing handswarmer

I didn't claim anything.

I asked a question.:toropalm:

SCOTTexans
10-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

I vote no. IMO we will have a powerful Defense for yrs to come with a few changes to our offense we can be right back into the race.

But of your age concerns and my Couch GM abilities

Andre - I believe we have a great core of WR to overcome his aging (whenever he starts to show)
Owen - Graham is showing to be a player and I'm interested in Ryans Griffin starting these nest few games to see if he has starting ability
Schaub - Draft replacement this yr and hopefully hit... with our offense, its easy on QBs we just need one who has more options to really open it up
Manning - looking to be a weaker part of the D
Reed - hasn't done anything to prove his worth

Schaub and Bullock are the biggest concerns and momentum killers on the team...

Hookem Horns
10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
In all honestly, there is enough talent on this team to be a SB contender. All this team lacks is a good head coach and QB. Replace both of those with qualified personnel and this team could be in the hunt for quite a while.

However until then the window was never really open. Kubiak is not a SB caliber coach.