PDA

View Full Version : Ok here it comes..Do the Texans look at aquiring Freeman? (Signed with Vikings)

BullNation4Life
09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
before yall start with the flaming, take consideration what is going on in Tampa and what is going on here....

Freeman is on his way out, should come very cheap. He is 6'6", 240lbs, 25 years old, strong arm and is allot mobile than Schaub.

Aside all of BS, could he fit in Kubiak's system? Would it be worth a shot? With Watt and Cushing and AJ, would Freeman's attitude be a factor or could the locker room change all that?

If you are the Texans GM right now, do you think about it...

JCTexan
09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Do I think about it? Yes. Right now I have very little confidence in Schaub and I'm not sure either Yates or Keenum is the answer. I don't know if Freeman fits into Kubiak's system but I think it could be worth a shot.

Marcus
09-30-2013, 10:20 AM
For this season?

Or next?

BullNation4Life
09-30-2013, 10:23 AM
For this season?

Or next?

Well get him via trade now, let him sit and learn and maybe get him in within next few weeks. How long was Jake Delhomme here before he had to start?

Not sure what Tampa would want for him, I know Freeman is looking for an extension at the end of the year.

That is the hard part, now or next year....

ATXtexanfan
09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Do anything.

HTown2ATX
09-30-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure either Yates or Keenum is the answer

Now I'm not saying that one of them is the answer either. However, I would like to find out if one of them can be before we just bring in someone else's garbage. Unfortunately the stubbornness of this coaching staff will let Schaub flail about until week 12 or longer.

So we better all suck it up and hope our favorite Santa Schaub with his gift passes gets it together.

Mr teX
09-30-2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.grassrootsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/NO.jpg

TheIronDuke
09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Freeman is a clubhouse cancer and apparently parties like Jacoby Jones. He isn't "Texan worthy" so I doubt he would be a good fit.

Norg
09-30-2013, 10:46 AM
no I think there gonna roll with Matt intill at least wk 10 then we will see how it goes we still got yates and keenum so yeah no for freeman

TexanBacker93
09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Do I think about it? Yes. Right now I have very little confidence in Schaub and I'm not sure either Yates or Keenum is the answer. I don't know if Freeman fits into Kubiak's system but I think it could be worth a shot.

This one statement is where all of our team issues stem from. I don't know if Freeman would be the answer, but I think us bypassing upgrades because they don't fit this system hurts us. This system isn't good enough to win the games that matter. This system didn't win 2 Super Bowls in Denver. That was John Elway and Terrell Davis. You get HoF players and you should be able to win a SB or 2. If it weren't for Dan Reeves being the coach in the 80s the Broncos would have won a couple of more.

The team didn't look at acquiring Peyton Manning an offseason ago because Kubiak had "his" guy and Peyton wouldn't fit this system. I was hesitant in wanting Manning because I was worried if he'd come back from the surgeries. Hindsight being what it is I think we can say he's doing alright.

Scrap the coach. Scrap the system. Get players based on their abilities and adjust your game. Lute Olson was a success in UA coaching the men's basketball program for 24 years because he got great players and adapted his schemes to match his players.

We have one of the best WRs to play in the NFL in the last few decades. He has pitiful TD #s because our system doesn't call for the ball to be thrown to the WR in the endzone. In the loss at Arizona 4 years ago he wasn't even on the field during the final sequence that decided the outcome because Kubiak needed a 3rd string TE on the field.

I don't know if they should acquire Freeman. I don't know if it would matter. I don't believe all the issues are on Schaub and I don't know if any QB could come in and make a difference with Kubiak as a coach.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty sure Jeff George would like to make a come back.....

Hookem Horns
09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
I understand that most of you don't watch Bucs games so don't know what you are asking for here.

I will just put it this way, as much as I don't like Matt Schaub, if he were QB of the Bucs they would easily be sitting 3-1 right now.

Freeman is terribly inaccurate and apparently not very popular with team mates for whatever reason. He also has happy feet ala David Carr. Another issue with him is he is extremely inconsistent. He can look solid on one drive then like total crap on the next 3.

I take both Yates and Keenum over Freeman.

JCTexan
09-30-2013, 11:02 AM
I understand that most of you don't watch Bucs games so don't know what you are asking for here.

You're right there. I haven't watched a game of theirs yet and can't recall the last time I watched them play. I didn't even watch their last game against Houston (only game not shown on TV all year).

I will just put it this way, as much as I don't like Matt Schaub, if he were QB of the Bucs they would easily be sitting 3-1 right now.

So are the Bucs a better team than Houston then? You know, the team Schaub has cost two victories by throwing two game changing pick-6's?

Good to know. Maybe Yates is the answer for this team. I can't imagine being more concerned over the QB situation than I am right now. :headhurts:

KA4Texan
09-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Im not ready to scrap this season, there is still plenty of time to turn it around, sitting at 2-2. I would like to see them try, something.

I believe Kubiak is still this teams biggest liability, but Schaub and a few others say he is "elite" so I say hold him to that standard. He has looked mediocre, NOT elite. If he is held to those standards and is not playing to that level. Pull him and allow someone else a chance to play.

Hookem Horns
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Im not ready to scrap this season, there is still plenty of time to turn it around, sitting at 2-2. I would like to see them try, something.

I believe Kubiak is still this teams biggest liability, but Schaub and a few others say he is "elite" so I say hold him to that standard. He has looked mediocre, NOT elite. If he is held to those standards and is not playing to that level. Pull him and allow someone else a chance to play.

Kubiak and Schaub are this team's liability. Until both are gone the Texans will never win anything of significance. I have been saying this for years now.

Hottoddie
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Don't forget about David Carr. Look what's happened to the Giants since they cut him. He must be the missing ingedient for them. :spit:

thunderkyss
09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't think I would seriouisly consider Josh Freeman an upgrade. However, I would not hesitate to ask Schaub to go pick him up at the airport... show him around... show him the film room... show him where the starting QBs locker is.

"I'm not saying anything Matt, I'm just saying."

KA4Texan
09-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Kubiak and Schaub are this team's liability. Until both are gone the Texans will never win anything of significance. I have been saying this for years now.

I agree that both are a liability, but I believe that the bigger difference is made if you rid yourself of Kubiak.

You rid yourself of Schaub, you still have overly conservative, "play not to lose" mentality.

I cant say BOTH need to be gone, as I believe that a HC change would make the world of difference. Just look at the Ravens for example, they took a lot of our "garbage" and made it work.

I believe a good HC could take this team, even someone like Schaub. QBs DO get much worse than Schaub. (Even though I am not for keeping him around, I just don't feel a change at "BOTH" is needed for success.)

I do believe your statement is correct in a timeline perspective however, I don't see Kubiak being removed until some point after Schaub is gone.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Don't forget about David Carr. Look what's happened to the Giants since they cut him. He must be the missing ingedient for them. :spit:

:thinking:

b0ng
09-30-2013, 11:46 AM
You know Josh Freeman is getting paid $8m+ for this year right? If you're going to replace Schaub why do it with a retread like Freeman? Just draft a guy, even if he's a first rounder the contracts aren't nearly as poisonous as they used to be.

bOODRO87
09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Heck no. Ride this season into the ground if we have to, but DO NOT take Josh Freeman. That would set us back even further.

Draft, draft, draft. A lot of good QBs.

texanhead08
09-30-2013, 12:28 PM
There are too many off the field rumors about him, I don't see any way the Texans would take a chance on him.

cdollaz
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
I want to find someone who can be our QB for 10 years, not a loser who couldn't even hack it on a crappy team.

Also, Schaub, even with all of his faults, is still better than Freeman.

stingray
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
And the bucs fans are asking "Do the Bucaneers look at aquiring Matt Schaub?"

Hookem Horns
09-30-2013, 01:15 PM
I want to find someone who can be our QB for 10 years, not a loser who couldn't even hack it on a crappy team.

Also, Schaub, even with all of his faults, is still better than Freeman.

Agreed, but a QB is more of a loser if he can't "hack it" on a good team.

I think both the Texans and Bucs are good teams. Both have solid defenses, pro bowl caliber running backs, pro bowl receivers, decent o-lines (Bucs better than Texans there), etc.

However both have the same issue, head coach and QB. Texans have the advantage in both of those areas and maybe that is why the Texans are 2-2 and the Bucs are 0-4. That said neither team is going anywhere until they address those areas.

b0ng
09-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Agreed, but a QB is more of a loser if he can't "hack it" on a good team.

I think both the Texans and Bucs are good teams. Both have solid defenses, pro bowl caliber running backs, pro bowl receivers, decent o-lines (Bucs better than Texans there), etc.

However both have the same issue, head coach and QB. Texans have the advantage in both of those areas and maybe that is why the Texans are 2-2 and the Bucs are 0-4. That said neither team is going anywhere until they address those areas.

I think the Texans defense is way better than the Bucs.

TexansSeminole
09-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Freeman is terribly inaccurate and apparently not very popular with team mates for whatever reason. He also has happy feet ala David Carr. Another issue with him is he is extremely inconsistent. He can look solid on one drive then like total crap on the next 3.

This. Freeman is god awful.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Hell no

Playoffs
09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
No.

Because in my opinion this offense needs a QB who can make special/extraordinary plays for it to work into playoffs -- like a John Elway. Freeman does not have that ability that we saw from someone like Russell Wilson in a few plays this week.

burro
09-30-2013, 07:27 PM
I would give Leinart a second chance before I signed Freeman, not even kidding.

A thread like this is proof that, despite all of the Schaub hate, there isn't a single better option; on or off the roster.

legacy_gt
09-30-2013, 07:30 PM
why even start this thread? :kubepalm:

DocBar
09-30-2013, 07:30 PM
:toropalm: just :toropalm:

Premier
09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
And the bucs fans are asking "Do the Bucaneers look at aquiring Matt Schaub?"

bucsfan - HELL NOOO!!!!

HouTx11
09-30-2013, 07:44 PM
We've already got 2 other QBs that know the system better. If it were up to me Schaub sits for the 49ers game. Let TJ show us what he can do, would be a great game to do just that. If he brings home the W (which is a long shot at this point no matter who is QB) let him start against the Rams also!

Corrosion
09-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Nope , Freeman isn't any better than any of the QB's currently on the roster ....

I'd prefer to run with Keenum but would be satisfied with Yates getting some run.

cuppacoffee
10-01-2013, 08:17 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-30/josh-freeman-stage-one-drug-abuse-buccaneers-qb-statement-program

ADHD

Getting ugly. Why disclose this?

:coffee:

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Freeman is a clubhouse cancer and apparently parties like Jacoby Jones. He isn't "Texan worthy" so I doubt he would be a good fit.

What evidence do you have of that?

EVOLVIST
10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
I can see the OP's point, still, as it's been said, you don't want another teams garbage.
.and I used to be high on Freeman, but he's regressed.

Having said that, I'll take the chance of getting flamed myself.

How about screw the draft, use your #1 pick on the best OT on the board, and give your 2nd round pick to Philly for Nick Foles, that way you're not sifting through another team's trash. Instead your getting an almost proven NFL commodity, a great arm, plenty of accuracy, and legs that can run. I'm looking at a 6'6", 240lb football IQ machine, with wheels on him, who happens to be just rotting on Philly's bench, from probably one of the greatest QB classes in the last 25 years.

If you don't like that, the let's get Kirk Cousins. But my money is on Foles...100%, over a rookie next year who might or might not give you something when you want to keep that super bowl window as open as possible...right...now!

(All predicated, of course, upon what happens this season)

htownfan32
10-02-2013, 12:53 AM
If we lose to SF, are we going to see the "sign Farve/Warner" threads like we did when Schaub and Lienart went down in 2011? :D

TheMatrix31
10-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Ya bro Josh Freeman is such a better option than Matt Schaub bro.

Thorn
10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
If we lose to SF, are we going to see the "sign Farve/Warner" threads like we did when Schaub and Lienart went down in 2011? :D

It'll get insane in here, that's for sure. LOL

Texan_Bill
10-02-2013, 07:38 AM

What??? Bernie Kosar doesn't want any of this?

Nitrofish
10-02-2013, 07:39 AM
We've already got 2 other QBs that know the system better. If it were up to me Schaub sits for the 49ers game. Let TJ show us what he can do, would be a great game to do just that. If he brings home the W (which is a long shot at this point no matter who is QB) let him start against the Rams also!

So Seattle dismantled the 9ers, and the Texans were carving up the Hawks, but you think beating the 9ers is a long shot? You people are really tripping. Is there a reason that TJ Yates was drafted where he was, and that Keenum went undrafted? Foster is the exception, not the rule. Schaub has the team around him, and the skills to beat the 9ers IMO.

The Texans are 2-2 and all of you act as if the team is 0-4 and the season is lost. Get a grip on your emotions people. Did you read the Ravens board last season all year? Sounded pretty much the same as here today. Just goes to show that fans have no idea what they are talking about and let their emotions control their opinions. I am sure the Texans have a better team outlook than most of you and still support Schaub. I am all for starting out slow and peaking at the right time to finish strong. We have tried the fast start thing several times, and where has it gotten us?

This season is far from lost and like it or not, Schaub is not the one to blame for either loss. He had his part sure, but he was far from THE reason the Texans lost to the Hawks.

HOU-TEX
10-02-2013, 09:07 AM
What??? Bernie Kosar doesn't want any of this?

Bernie was drunk when we called him. He kept muttering something about his oline being at fault

Texan_Bill
10-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Bernie was drunk when we called him. He kept muttering something about his oline being at fault

I thought he was too busy blaming his father and family.

When does Ryan Leaf get released on parole?

TexansSeminole
10-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I thought he was too busy blaming his father and family.

When does Ryan Leaf get released on parole?

I bet Tebow would be excited about the opportunity.

http://t.qkme.me/3ohu7d.jpg

See.

Uncle Rico
10-02-2013, 02:25 PM
So Seattle dismantled the 9ers, and the Texans were carving up the Hawks, but you think beating the 9ers is a long shot? You people are really tripping. Is there a reason that TJ Yates was drafted where he was, and that Keenum went undrafted? Foster is the exception, not the rule. Schaub has the team around him, and the skills to beat the 9ers IMO.

The Texans are 2-2 and all of you act as if the team is 0-4 and the season is lost. Get a grip on your emotions people. Did you read the Ravens board last season all year? Sounded pretty much the same as here today. Just goes to show that fans have no idea what they are talking about and let their emotions control their opinions. I am sure the Texans have a better team outlook than most of you and still support Schaub. I am all for starting out slow and peaking at the right time to finish strong. We have tried the fast start thing several times, and where has it gotten us?

This season is far from lost and like it or not, Schaub is not the one to blame for either loss. He had his part sure, but he was far from THE reason the Texans lost to the Hawks.

Hard to talk sense to a mob. I agree with everything you posted, well done.

thunderkyss
10-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Hard to talk sense to a mob. I agree with everything you posted, well done.

If you remember last year we weren't playing well, but still managed to win a lot of games & rack up a lot of stats, but when we lost... we really lost. Not just against the Greenbays or the Patriots, but anytime the other team was playing for "something" they found a way to get it done & we were left with a bunch of what ifs.

I know it's easy to say, "John Fox will never win a Super Bowl." & odds are that he won't win in 2013. I can say, "John Fox will never win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning." Odds are still on my side that it won't happen in 2013. Then Peyton could have a game like he did last year..... long story short, it's easy to be negative about any team & being that only 1 team can win...

There's really no point to my rant. Who knew the Ravens would win the Super Bowl & the Packers would be so far away?

We'll just have to see what happens.

& that's why we love this game so much.

kiwitexansfan
10-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Surprised Roethlisberger isn't a name that is thrown around here.

His team is crap, he is getting older, probably won't be the QB of the next great Steelers team, we know he can 'win the big one' why not chase him?

I am NOT proposing this, but it has been discussed by talking heads.

Roadtrip635
10-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Freeman has the physical tools, but don't think he has the mental edge it takes. Freeman might have had a chance to be a quality starter, but was going to need alot of support and proper coaching to get him there. I kind of feel bad for Freeman in a way, it seems that Schiano has gone out of his way to undermine Freeman and his confidence. Schiano seems to be acting more like some catty school girl than a HC with some of the statements and comments he's made.

steelbtexan
10-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Do the Texans have a little over 6 mil in cap space available?

Because that's what it will take to add Freeman to the roster.

Corrosion
10-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Do the Texans have a little over 6 mil in cap space available?

Because that's what it will take to add Freeman to the roster.

No.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Surprised Roethlisberger isn't a name that is thrown around here.

His team is crap, he is getting older, probably won't be the QB of the next great Steelers team, we know he can 'win the big one' why not chase him?

I am NOT proposing this, but it has been discussed by talking heads.

Why didn't we know that we could get a decent OT for a 4th & 5th round pick?

BullNation4Life
10-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Why didn't we know that we could get a decent OT for a 4th & 5th round pick?

Because this FO never does it due diligence. I would have loved to have either one of those Tackles playing instead of Newton...

infantrycak
10-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Because this FO never does it due diligence. I would have loved to have either one of those Tackles playing instead of Newton...

Never huh? Yeah I am sure they are sitting over there with their fingers up their butts not listening or reading any news or doing anything football related.

OR they knew the Texans didn't have cap room for the move and thought holding a press conference to satisfy fans' knowing that it was examined would be silly.

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I would give Leinart a second chance before I signed Freeman, not even kidding.

A thread like this is proof that, despite all of the Schaub hate, there isn't a single better option; on or off the roster.

How do you know this?

I would say Yates played better in the playoff run than Schaub is playing now.

Uncle Rico
10-03-2013, 09:54 AM
If you remember last year we weren't playing well, but still managed to win a lot of games & rack up a lot of stats, but when we lost... we really lost. Not just against the Greenbays or the Patriots, but anytime the other team was playing for "something" they found a way to get it done & we were left with a bunch of what ifs.

I know it's easy to say, "John Fox will never win a Super Bowl." & odds are that he won't win in 2013. I can say, "John Fox will never win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning." Odds are still on my side that it won't happen in 2013. Then Peyton could have a game like he did last year..... long story short, it's easy to be negative about any team & being that only 1 team can win...

There's really no point to my rant. Who knew the Ravens would win the Super Bowl & the Packers would be so far away?

We'll just have to see what happens.

& that's why we love this game so much.

True, how often do the teams with the best regular season records meet in the super bowl?
It's about playing your best at the end of the year and this team has the talent. Once the OL gets their act together this team will live up to expectations. I understand being snake bit after a decade of losing, but it irks me how fickle and fair weathered some people here are acting, especially notable regulars who have thrown in the towel. Damn shame if you ask me.

steelbtexan
10-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Never huh? Yeah I am sure they are sitting over there with their fingers up their butts not listening or reading any news or doing anything football related.

OR they knew the Texans didn't have cap room for the move and thought holding a press conference to satisfy fans' knowing that it was examined would be silly.

Agreed

But whose fault is it that there isn't enough cap room to make in season moves? No cap room during the season seems to be the Texans philosophy.

Meanwhile other teams are making moves getting better in season. I'm begining to belive there's no way the Texans can make a SB, much less win a SB under the current regime.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I understand being snake bit after a decade of losing, but it irks me how fickle and fair weathered some people here are acting, especially notable regulars who have thrown in the towel. Damn shame if you ask me.

I don't know if they're being fickle. There are some serious questions here. I mean our defense was pretty good last year, we returned all our starters except Glover, got Cushing back, & added EdReed/(a somewhat improved)Shilo Keo........ but we gave up 28 points to San Diego in less than 3 qtrs.....

Hello!! I don't care how good San Diego may end up being, 28 points in 3 less than 3 quarters is a lot of points.

We gave up two TD drives to Tennessee, over 80 yards (to open the game & the 98 yard drive).....

Then we're scoring in bunches out of desperation & turning the ball over.

Not a lot there saying "Super Bowl Contender" then when we lose to Baltimore as if they were the 2012 Patriots.....

We're a hair away from losing 3 straight & the play on the field, collectively, doesn't give us much confidence.

I get why people are upset. It's not about losing, it's about not looking like Denver. We might not admit it, but we all expected us to, & why not? Arian is healthy. He was held out of preseason activity to get Ben some snaps. Matt says he's feeling better than he has in some time. Ed is just being Ed. DeAndre is playing better than the most wildly optimistic Texans fan could have expected. We have got 3 healthy probowlers on the offensive line, an upgrade at the RG spot, our only weakness is at RT. We upgraded to a traditional fullback....

But we can't seem to get the pieces to work together & that falls on the head of the man that we've (I include myself) wanted to get rid of since 2010 (some even longer). So I wouldn't say fickle, it's been a long time coming.

TexansSeminole
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Not to mention, the trade partner is a division rival, which makes the deal even less likely.

DX-TEX
10-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m
Filed to ESPN: Bucs have released QB Josh Freeman. Bucs tried to trade him but couldn't.

Like gas to a bonfire of Texans stupidity incoming!

HouTx11
10-03-2013, 03:20 PM
So Seattle dismantled the 9ers, and the Texans were carving up the Hawks, but you think beating the 9ers is a long shot?

"Were" doesn't help the final score for jack for the Texans, which BTW was played at home, and not on the road like the next one. Considering:

-Schaub's decision making at crucial times in the game, coupled with his 3 pick six's in as many games
-A VERY beat up offensive line
-A prime time road game against last year's super bowl runner up whos QB is very mobile (which the Texans always have trouble stopping)
-The blowout loss to Baltimore and the nail-biting way the Texans barely got their 2 wins
-The way the secondary has allowed dumb penalties/bad coverage so far this season
-The way Kubiak keeps dialing up the same predictable formations that the 49ers are no doubt prepared for since they've had extra time to do so.

......forgive me if I'm not ODing on the Schauberry kool aid like you are.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Question.

Do you think Schaub would be able to handle the "pressure" if Josh Freeman were brought in?

Do you think he should be able to?

I ask, because many people are saying we should be looking to draft & prepare Schaub's replacement. No doubt about it, it's different to bring in a drafted rookie than a previous starter, but if the Texans were to bring him in, on the cheap of course, as the eventual replacement, do you think Schaub's psyche would be up to it?

Uncle Rico
10-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Josh Freeman aint no Tony Banks thats for damn sure!

Playoffs
10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I like Freeman for the Raiders.

Bulls on Parade
10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith probably had a talk about Josh Freeman already. If they think he's an upgrade over either T.J. Yates or Case Keenum, he's definitely worth signing right now. My question is would it be possible to place Keenum on the practice squad or would another team be able to sign him? A team like the Eagles, for example, keep eyeing players off our practice squad.

Bulls on Parade
10-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Question.

Do you think Schaub would be able to handle the "pressure" if Josh Freeman were brought in?

I ask, because many people are saying we should be looking to draft & prepare Schaub's replacement. No doubt about it, it's different to bring in a drafted rookie than a previous starter, but if the Texans were to bring him in, on the cheap of course, as the eventual replacement, do you think Schaub's psyche would be up to it?
I don't think Matt Schaub can handle the pressure to be honest. Which is why he usually fails in the big games. Not as bad as Tony Romo from Dallas but it seems like when we need a big win on the brightest of lights, Schaub falls apart and crumbles.

DocBar
10-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Question.

I ask, because many people are saying we should be looking to draft & prepare Schaub's replacement. No doubt about it, it's different to bring in a drafted rookie than a previous starter, but if the Texans were to bring him in, on the cheap of course, as the eventual replacement, do you think Schaub's psyche would be up to it?Schaub can't handle the pressure, regardless of Freeman and yes, I think he should be able to.

I still haven't heard anything close to a convincing argument against Yates. I was a HUUUUUUGE Keenum supporter in the PS, but I think Yates can do just fine as a starter. He's shown he has a very good handle on the offense and has big time starting experience. I see no reason to expect Yates to revert back to rookie form if he's starting and Kubiak will usually go with experience when given the choice.

Allstar
10-03-2013, 11:11 PM
If we're gonna replace Schaub, we need to do it with a potential franchise QB, not a scrub like Freeman.

Bulls on Parade
10-03-2013, 11:36 PM
If we're gonna replace Schaub, we need to do it with a potential franchise QB, not a scrub like Freeman.
This team is so stacked we don't need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl with. All we need is somebody who doesn't make boneheaded mistakes and turnovers. Give me a good game manager like Alex Smith and we'd be talking about becoming NFL champions. He's doing a mighty fine job in Kansas City I might add.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM
This team is so stacked we don't need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl with. All we need is somebody who doesn't make boneheaded mistakes and turnovers. Give me a good game manager like Alex Smith and we'd be talking about becoming NFL champions. He's doing a mighty fine job in Kansas City I might add.

When I mentioned Smith last year (just before Schaub was extended) I was laughed out of the building .... Now I don't seem so silly afterall.

I'd have taken Smith then , I'd take him now. 23-5-1 as a starter in the NFL from 2011/12&13 .... those are gaudy numbers even if his stats are pedestrian.

CretorFrigg
10-04-2013, 12:44 AM
When I mentioned Smith last year (just before Schaub was extended) I was laughed out of the building .... Now I don't seem so silly afterall.

I'd have taken Smith then , I'd take him now. 23-5-1 as a starter in the NFL from 2011/12&13 .... those are gaudy numbers even if his stats are pedestrian.

I still don't think Smith is any better than Schaub. Trust me, I'm not a Schaub fan at all and would like to see him benched, but the fact is Alex Smith has been on teams with a lot of talent. I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm willing to bet Smith's passing attempts per game are much lower than Schaub's. We're not just a running team. We rely on the pass as well, and I don't believe Smith offers that.

Wins don't make a player good. It's a team game. Doesn't Tebow have a ridiculous amount of wins as a starter as well?

With that said, I would love for the Texans to take a look at Freeman. With the right coaching, I think he can be a much better passer than Matt Schaub. But then again, that's not saying much...

htownfan32
10-04-2013, 01:19 AM
pic related is all I have to say about Alex Smith.

http://i42.tinypic.com/281hs0o.png

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 01:54 AM
I still don't think Smith is any better than Schaub. Trust me, I'm not a Schaub fan at all and would like to see him benched, but the fact is Alex Smith has been on teams with a lot of talent. I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm willing to bet Smith's passing attempts per game are much lower than Schaub's. We're not just a running team. We rely on the pass as well, and I don't believe Smith offers that.

Wins don't make a player good. It's a team game. Doesn't Tebow have a ridiculous amount of wins as a starter as well?

With that said, I would love for the Texans to take a look at Freeman. With the right coaching, I think he can be a much better passer than Matt Schaub. But then again, that's not saying much...

Here's a post from before Schaub was extended showing Smith's 2011 attempts Vs Int's .....

Smith is a limited QB like Schaub .... he is a little more mobile tho.

Upgrade ? I don't know .... but like Schaub Smith doesn't make many mistakes. He threw a total of 5 INT's in 445 attempts last season. That's taking care of the ball.
He's also more mobile and has a stronger arm .... even if only marginally better in either.

That's a QB who went 13-3 last year and was on track to repeat that prior to being sidelined by an injury, Smith was 6-2 as the starter while Colin Kaepernick has gone 4-2-1 with that same team .... with a loss and tie to a .500 Rams team.

Stats from NLF.com

Attempts / Int's / Int percentage.

Smith (http://www.nfl.com/player/alexsmith/2506340/careerstats)
2011 445/5 1.1%
2012 218/5 (injury shortened benched for Kaepernick the final 6) 2.3%
2013 146/2 1.4%

Schaub (http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/careerstats)
2011 292/6 2.1% (Lisfranc injury)
2012 544/12 2.2%
2013 177/6 3.4%

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 02:42 AM
"Were" doesn't help the final score for jack for the Texans, which BTW was played at home, and not on the road like the next one. Considering:

-Schaub's decision making at crucial times in the game, coupled with his 3 pick six's in as many games
-A VERY beat up offensive line
-A prime time road game against last year's super bowl runner up whos QB is very mobile (which the Texans always have trouble stopping)
-The blowout loss to Baltimore and the nail-biting way the Texans barely got their 2 wins
-The way the secondary has allowed dumb penalties/bad coverage so far this season
-The way Kubiak keeps dialing up the same predictable formations that the 49ers are no doubt prepared for since they've had extra time to do so.

......forgive me if I'm not ODing on the Schauberry kool aid like you are.

Is that all you got? "ODing on Schauberry Kool aid" What, are 13 or 14 years old? And geez thanks for pointing out it is a road game captain obvious. I will now change my opinion since you pointed that out to me and the Texans have never won on the road either. I mean, why even make the flight? The Texans have no chance right?

Last years super bowl runner up does not mean squat. That was last year, and they look nothing like last years team, nor does Kaepernick look like the superman you all are making him out to be.

The Texans did not have a problem containing a mobile QB against the Hawks until the 4th quarter when Phillips went away from the spy and Cushing was out of the game. You just pull every anecdotal excuse out and throw it out there. All so if the Texans lose you can say, "See I Told You So." Just keep following the herd and keep using phrases like ODing on Schuaberry kool aid.

If the Colts beat them, the Texans can beat them.

Haterade anyone?

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 04:31 AM
The Texans did not have a problem containing a mobile QB against the Hawks until the 4th quarter when Phillips went away from the spy and Cushing was out of the game. You just pull every anecdotal excuse out and throw it out there. All so if the Texans lose you can say, "See I Told You So." Just keep following the herd and keep using phrases like ODing on Schuaberry kool aid.

Haterade anyone?

Phillips didn't go away from the spy .... the only difference was C(r)ushing being replaced by Sharpto(o)n).

Damnit , I hope like hell the Texans win this next game , the difference between making the playoffs at 2-3 (>20%) Vs. that of a 3-2 team (<51%) is pretty significant.

Corrosion
10-04-2013, 04:31 AM

Haterade anyone?

Phillips didn't go away from the spy .... the only difference was C(r)ushing being replaced by Sharpto(o)n).

Damnit , I hope like hell the Texans win this next game , the difference between making the playoffs at 2-3 (>20%) Vs. that of a 3-2 team (<51%) is pretty significant.

Goatcheese
10-04-2013, 05:32 AM
I can see myself using this a lot as Texans fans continue to lose their minds.

Do the Texans look at aquiring Josh Freeman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiYNYlqJL0

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Just like I think benching Schaub after that second INT vs Seattle, I think it would be a good idea to "work out" Josh Freeman.

If Schaub can't handle it, it's telling. This coddling, HC falling on the sword for him doesn't appear to be working & I think he needs a kick in the butt.

I believe Schaub can turn it around, I need that to happen sooner rather than later. If he had called the player's only meeting (I know how pointless many think this is) I'd feel better about Matt being on the right track. As it is, I think he needs help to get where he needs to be.

& if the coaches are aware of any "possible" issues with his foot their current approach does not make any sense.

Tailgate
10-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Just like I think benching Schaub after that second INT vs Seattle, I think it would be a good idea to "work out" Josh Freeman.

If Schaub can't handle it, it's telling. This coddling, HC falling on the sword for him doesn't appear to be working & I think he needs a kick in the butt.

I believe Schaub can turn it around, I need that to happen sooner rather than later. If he had called the player's only meeting (I know how pointless many think this is) I'd feel better about Matt being on the right track. As it is, I think he needs help to get where he needs to be.

& if the coaches are aware of any "possible" issues with his foot their current approach does not make any sense.

This is the biggest game of Schaubs career coming up. All of this right track talk can only be answered on Sunday.

Ktexan68
10-04-2013, 10:11 AM
You absolutely bring Freeman in for a workout. If Schaub is such a puss that he can't take the pressure, then I think that speaks for itself.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
You absolutely bring Freeman in for a workout. If Schaub is such a puss that he can't take the pressure, then I think that speaks for itself.

If they did not bring Manning in even to talk, what makes you think they would work out Freeman? C'mon man.

Blake
10-04-2013, 12:02 PM
If the Texans dont have the balls to bench their QB for poor play when they have an experienced backup and a young full of potential 3rd stringer, then there is no reason to bring Freeman in.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
If they did not bring Manning in even to talk, what makes you think they would work out Freeman? C'mon man.

Matt Schaub had just come off his 3 best seasons as a starter, why would you be looking to replace him at that time?

Right now, he hasn't had a good game in his last 10...... a couple of good quarters, but not a single good game. They've been stroking him since January & so far it doesn't appear to be working.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
If the Texans dont have the balls to bench their QB for poor play when they have an experienced backup and a young full of potential 3rd stringer, then there is no reason to bring Freeman in.

It's another bluff. Send Matt to the airport to pick up Freeman, bring him in to Rick Smith's office with Kubiak, Dennison, the QB coach. Laugh it up. ask Matt for his realtor's name, day care information.... y'know.

Get him over to Methodist training center, throw a couple of deep balls to Andre, to Hopkins.... see if Keyshawn Martin can outrun his arm.....

Then send him on his way at the end of the day.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Matt Schaub had just come off his 3 best seasons as a starter, why would you be looking to replace him at that time?

Right now, he hasn't had a good game in his last 10...... a couple of good quarters, but not a single good game. They've been stroking him since January & so far it doesn't appear to be working.

Why you ask? Because it was Peyton Freakin' Manning and he wanted to play for the Texans.

TheMatrix31
10-04-2013, 12:45 PM
There is no pressure that would come from bringing in Josh Freeman. Matt Schaub may not be what we want him to be, but he's not dumb. He won't be fooled by bringing in someone who has literally zero chance of impacting his job.

TexansSeminole
10-04-2013, 01:18 PM
I have zero interest in Freeman. He doesn't need to be worked out because he sucks, plain and simple. If you want to put pressure on Schaub, you bench him for one of the QBs already on the roster.

Hervoyel
10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Why you ask? Because it was Peyton Freakin' Manning and he wanted to play for the Texans.

When Peyton Manning is available to QB your football team you say "Yes".

It's really that simple.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 01:29 PM

It's really that simple.

I know it sounds simple, but we're cursed. No doubt in my mind it would have ended like the Culpepper thing in Miami, the Ahman Green thing here, he Bosselli thing here, & the way some are expecting the Reed thing to end.

BullNation4Life
10-04-2013, 03:10 PM

there was NO FREAKING WAY the Texans could have afforded Peyton Manning. End of discussion. Hell they had to cut their starting RT and RG, trade a very good MLB and let go of their #1 draft pick to get under the cap, and they didn't get under by much....

htownfan32
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
there was NO FREAKING WAY the Texans could have afforded Peyton Manning. End of discussion. Hell they had to cut their starting RT and RG, trade a very good MLB and let go of their #1 draft pick to get under the cap, and they didn't get under by much....

This. Was he actually interested or was that just a rumor? I recall it was the latter.

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Anything is possible, and for one of the greatest to ever play, it should have at least been talked about, tossed around, etc. If Denver found a way, the Texans could have found a way.

This. Was he actually interested or was that just a rumor? I recall it was the latter.

Hard to say for sure, but here are a few links.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=8542447

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/09/how_many_things_can_you_find_w.php

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/13/report-peyton-may-be-interested-in-playing-for-the-texans/

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/2/14/2797713/peyton-manning-the-houston-texans-i-think-im-going-to-be-sick

dream_team
10-04-2013, 03:54 PM

It's really that simple.

It's not that easy. Keep in mind, he was coming off neck surgery where no one knew of his current condition. He would not have public workouts. There were rumors his arm was weak. People did not know how his body would react if he took a big hit. And while he was at it, he's asking to be the highest paid QB in the league. It's not that easy of a decision.

It was easy for Denver, because they made it to the 2nd round with arguably the worst starting QB in the league. They almost had nothing to lose going for Peyton.

Now looking back, seeing how Peyton has played, it's easy to say we should have signed him. If we knew for sure he'd be playing at this level, I think almost every team in the league would have done as much as possible to get him. I even think the Colts would have tried to keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ObsiWan
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Why...?
Because we should ALWAYS be looking to upgrade.
Love him or hate him, Peyton would have been/would be an upgrade over Schaub.

...or are you inferring Schaub and Manning are equivalent?

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Why...?
Because we should ALWAYS be looking to upgrade.
Love him or hate him, Peyton would have been/would be an upgrade over Schaub.

...or are you inferring Schaub and Manning are equivalent?

He's got one Super Bowl in an 80 year career. I think we'll be ok.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some forehead. Best QB of our generation. But teams win Super Bowls. He landed on a good team, a talented team, but I don't think he's going to win a Super Bowl in Denver. Too much "Peyton" not enough team, & it's going to be that way no matter where he goes.

They're going to look good doing it, their fans are going to be happy with year after year of close but the Texans whupped datass

HouTx11
10-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Is that all you got? "ODing on Schauberry Kool aid" What, are 13 or 14 years old?

LOL I'm not the one acting like people are talking bad about my Mommy. Sorry if you can't handle the fact that people don't have the same lovely visions of Matt Schaub's passing skills as you do. Just maybe lead killing pick 6's has something to do with it. Might wanna try giving that some thought.

And geez thanks for pointing out it is a road game captain obvious.

You are welcome, since you clearly haven't been watching the Texans very much lately. BTW, no game is an instant win for the Texans as you are screaming. You'd think that the 2 losses would be a dead giveaway, but I can only speak for myself.

Last years super bowl runner up does not mean squat. That was last year, and they look nothing like last years team, nor does Kaepernick look like the superman you all are making him out to be.

No, only Matt Schaub wears that cape, according to you.:smiliepalm:

Speaking of obvious, LOL. Any team technically "can" beat their opponent, but I have some sad news for you dude, it WON'T happen if Schaub keeps losing leads by throwing pick 6's, but we are not supposed to talk about that, are we?:mariopalm:

Nitrofish
10-04-2013, 06:45 PM
LOL I'm not the one acting like people are talking bad about my Mommy. Sorry if you can't handle the fact that people don't have the same lovely visions of Matt Schaub's passing skills as you do. Just maybe lead killing pick 6's has something to do with it. Might wanna try giving that some thought.

I can handle it just fine, but it is a bit more than just expressing the dislike for Schaub or pick 6's so stop being melodramatic. The fact is Schaub haters ignore his passing skills and accomplishments and only point out his mistakes without any regard to what the rest of the team is doing. Schaub has not been throwing pick 6's every game for 7 years like you try to make it out to be. Maybe you out to give that some thought.

You are welcome, since you clearly haven't been watching the Texans very much lately. BTW, no game is an instant win for the Texans as you are screaming. You'd think that the 2 losses would be a dead giveaway, but I can only speak for myself.

No, don't be ridiculous, I mean that would be silly to actually watch the games. I prefer to just make this stuff as I go along. I never said any game was an instant win so do not put words in my mouth, and btw... the 9ers have to losses also, along with many other teams in the league, so all of the teams with 2 losses in week 4 are out of the playoff picture is that it? What kind of a dead giveaway is that?

No, only Matt Schaub wears that cape, according to you.:smiliepalm:

There you go putting words in my mouth again. But he certainly is the the one wearing the cape out of the all of the QB's we have on our roster. Any of us will admit Schaub is slow footed, and has made mistakes like all QB's do, it's just that we all know he is the best we got right now, and he is not the problem with the offense. When given time in the pocket he carves up top ranked defenses like a thanksgiving turkey, when the O Line is like a swinging gate, you get sacks, mistakes, and yes even pick 6's, and I do not care who you put back there, if the O Line can't block the defenders, they will all fail.

Speaking of obvious, LOL. Any team technically "can" beat their opponent, but I have some sad news for you dude, it WON'T happen if Schaub keeps losing leads by throwing pick 6's, but we are not supposed to talk about that, are we?:mariopalm:

Really? Wow! Did you come up with that all on your own? I mean, I never understood that pick 6's were bad until you pointed that out. Gee thanks professor. I feel so much more informed now. Hmm, did Schaub throw a pick 6 against the Titans? remind me again who won that game? Oooops... there goes your theory.

Once again you act as if it has just been some harmless talk about Schaub's pick 6's, yet as I pointed out earlier, Schaub needed two policemen to escort him to the post game interview. Don't be a tool dude. Nobody cares about people discussing things, but the attack on Schaub since the Hawks loss has been a tad bit more than just talk. And for the record since you can't seem to see past the QB position. The team lost that game with mistakes by all phases, not just Schaub. So keep on cryin' because you had to endure a 2nd loss and the season is now lost because of it. Because you all sound so very rational and informed.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I can handle it just fine, but it is a bit more than just expressing the dislike for Schaub or pick 6's so stop being melodramatic. The fact is Schaub haters ignore his passing skills and accomplishments and only point out his mistakes without any regard to what the rest of the team is doing. Schaub has not been throwing pick 6's every game for 7 years like you try to make it out to be. Maybe you out to give that some thought.

Before everything went South, when we were in control of the Seahawk game, I was thinking.... y'know, if Schaub keeps this up, we're going to spank Seattle & everyone's going to say Schaub had a "good" game. That he played fine.

It's very subtle, when he's playing well, in rhythm, in control. Like Mario Williams or Arian Foster, he makes it look effortless.

Texecutioner
10-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Asking if we should acquire Freeman is one of the dumbest things that anyone could ask? Oh yeah, lets talk about going after a guy that has been terrible on his last team and just got benched and has looked awful this season. Yeah, get rid of one problematic QB for a different type of problematic QB.

Good god, Alex Smith, Freeman, man some of you guys act like you started watching football yesterday. Just pathetic.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Asking if we should acquire Freeman is one of the dumbest things that anyone could ask? Oh yeah, lets talk about going after a guy that has been terrible on his last team and just got benched and has looked awful this season. Yeah, get rid of one problematic QB for a different type of problematic QB.

Good god, Alex Smith, Freeman, man some of you guys act like you started watching football yesterday. Just pathetic.

Don't forget Sanchez. With our running game & defense, AFC Championship game, easy.

Hervoyel
10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
No, it is exactly that easy. If there's a player in the NFL you take that chance on then his name is Peyton Manning. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but nobody in the world with any understanding of what Manning can do is ever going to fault someone for taking a chance on him.

Ed Reed on the other hand? We're going to hearing about the money he fleeced us out of for years.

It was easy for Denver because John Elway understood the situation in ways that Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith simply cannot grasp.

thunderkyss
10-04-2013, 11:13 PM
No, it is exactly that easy. If there's a player in the NFL you take that chance on then his name is Peyton Manning. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but nobody in the world with any understanding of what Manning can do is ever going to fault someone for taking a chance on him.

Ed Reed on the other hand? We're going to hearing about the money he fleeced us out of for years.

It was easy for Denver because John Elway understood the situation in ways that Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith simply cannot grasp.

We went on to win 12 games by choosing to stick with Schaub. We made it to the divisional round, then got booted, same as Peyton & Elway.

If we took that gamble & it didn't work out, chances are slim that we'd still have won 12 games. I don't think we'd have kept Matt while Peyton struggled with his neck (if we got Peyton & it didn't work out).

If Ed Reed doesn't work out.... he doesn't work out. Defense is playing "well enough" as it is (he wasn't the one making the boneheaded mistakes that cost us 3 90+ yard TD drives). Ed Reed is like the final piece of the defense. Schaub (Manning) is the cog that makes the offense work.

DX-TEX
10-04-2013, 11:19 PM

Yeah wait a couple years when Mannings arm finally falls off, they have no championship to show for it and Brock Osweiler is your starting QB

MEGA SWATT
10-05-2013, 12:06 AM

Will they leave before the pt at which there is nothing left on the roster to attract a bad ass coach and qb?

ObsiWan
10-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Will they leave before the pt at which there is nothing left on the roster to attract a bad ass coach and qb?
Well if there has to be a stacked roster for a coach to come here, I don't want his sorry a$$ anyway.

ChampionTexan
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Well if there has to be a stacked roster for a coach to come here, I don't want his sorry a$$ anyway.

This simply isn't realistic. There's not a coach out there who when given two or more job options isn't going to select the place they believe they have the best chance to succeed, and the reality is that rosters are a pretty big part of that (Starting with QB).

Corrosion
10-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree that both are a liability, but I believe that the bigger difference is made if you rid yourself of Kubiak.

You rid yourself of Schaub, you still have overly conservative, "play not to lose" mentality.

I cant say BOTH need to be gone, as I believe that a HC change would make the world of difference. Just look at the Ravens for example, they took a lot of our "garbage" and made it work.

I believe a good HC could take this team, even someone like Schaub. QBs DO get much worse than Schaub. (Even though I am not for keeping him around, I just don't feel a change at "BOTH" is needed for success.)

I do believe your statement is correct in a timeline perspective however, I don't see Kubiak being removed until some point after Schaub is gone.

Let me get this straight , we get rid of Kubiak and Schaub magically stops throwing picks and curling up in the fetal position .... is he likely to get the lead out of his shoes ?!?

Schaub has arguably the best supporting cast of any QB In the NFL.

#80 HOFer
Hopkins Very solid second receiver - Rookie of the month ?!
OD Pro Bowler.
Graham has been fantastic
Foster top three at his position
Tate 6.7ypc ?!

Not to mention a very good defense.

Name another QB who is afforded so many weapons. This offense is designed specifically to keep him clean and free of defenders so he can make throws.

I have to go the opposite direction when I evaluate all the facts. I think Kubiak has squeezed all he can out of a physically limited Matt Schaub.

Consider that they have been top 8ish in scoring the past three seasons , top 5ish in yardage and number 1 in time of possession in back to back seasons and will likely do it a third consecutive season - all despite Matt Schaub's inadequacies.

You are going to say conservative ? Was throwing the ball on 3rd down conservative ?! Conservative was run the ball and punt if you don't make it.
Im almost positive that a large part of the conservatism is knowing what Schaub is capable of and what he isn't.

I really have to wonder what Kubiak's offense would be capable of with a QB who lacked the shortcomings of Schaub. A bootleg offense with a sloth footed QB ?? Imagine for a moment that QB is able to threaten defenses with his feet instead of just his arm , having the ability to run when defenders have the receivers covered instead of throw it away or run out of bounds.

But hey , the coach has thrown 10 INT's in the last 7 games , 4 of which are returned for TD's .... Yep , that's the problem right there!!

Bulls on Parade
10-05-2013, 03:38 PM

You must not have seen Josh Freeman play in 2010 or even in 2012 last year. He was pretty damn good. There's a reason why he's been a successful starting quarterback in the NFL. Then again, Matt Schaub was really good at one time in his younger days.

The point being we need to find a younger quarterback sooner or later. Is Yates or Keenum the answer? To me neither is a starter. They're both career backups. I also wouldn't discount Alex Smith either. He has his team with a better record than ours right now. Doing it with limited turnovers and isn't making the same boneheaded mistakes that Schaub is.

And mind you, the Chiefs have nowhere near the talent level that the Texans have as a team. And yet they are a perfect 4-0 because Alex Smith is a smart decision maker. You don't need an elite quarterback to win games. We went 12-4 last season with Schaub. But can we win a Super Bowl with Schaub? I just don't know. We'll see. Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl last year so anything is possible.

Texecutioner
10-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Let me get this straight , we get rid of Kubiak and Schaub magically stops throwing picks and curling up in the fetal position .... is he likely to get the lead out of his shoes ?!?

Schaub has arguably the best supporting cast of any QB In the NFL.

#80 HOFer
Hopkins Very solid second receiver - Rookie of the month ?!
OD Pro Bowler.
Graham has been fantastic
Foster top three at his position
Tate 6.7ypc ?!

Not to mention a very good defense.

Name another QB who is afforded so many weapons. This offense is designed specifically to keep him clean and free of defenders so he can make throws.

I have to go the opposite direction when I evaluate all the facts. I think Kubiak has squeezed all he can out of a physically limited Matt Schaub.

Consider that they have been top 8ish in scoring the past three seasons , top 5ish in yardage and number 1 in time of possession in back to back seasons and will likely do it a third consecutive season - all despite Matt Schaub's inadequacies.

You are going to say conservative ? Was throwing the ball on 3rd down conservative ?! Conservative was run the ball and punt if you don't make it.
Im almost positive that a large part of the conservatism is knowing what Schaub is capable of and what he isn't.

I really have to wonder what Kubiak's offense would be capable of with a QB who lacked the shortcomings of Schaub. A bootleg offense with a sloth footed QB ?? Imagine for a moment that QB is able to threaten defenses with his feet instead of just his arm , having the ability to run when defenders have the receivers covered instead of throw it away or run out of bounds.

But hey , the coach has thrown 10 INT's in the last 7 games , 4 of which are returned for TD's .... Yep , that's the problem right there!!

Manning easily has better weapons then anyone in the league.

He had two great WR's from last season that both got double digit TD's that are tall and very athletic and he added a guy who is arguably the best slot WR of all time. He also has a really good TE in Julius Thomas. His RB's aren't great, but they get the job done.

Manning's receiving core is ridiculous.

Texecutioner
10-05-2013, 03:56 PM
You must not have seen Josh Freeman play in 2010 or even in 2012 last year. He was pretty damn good. There's a reason why he's been a successful starting quarterback in the NFL. Then again, Matt Schaub was really good at one time in his younger days.

The point being we need to find a younger quarterback sooner or later. Is Yates or Keenum the answer? To me neither is a starter. They're both career backups. I also wouldn't discount Alex Smith either. He has his team with a better record than ours right now. Doing it with limited turnovers and isn't making the same boneheaded mistakes that Schaub is.

And mind you, the Chiefs have nowhere near the talent level that the Texans have as a team. And yet they are a perfect 4-0 because Alex Smith is a smart decision maker. You don't need an elite quarterback to win games. We went 12-4 last season with Schaub. But can we win a Super Bowl with Schaub? I just don't know. We'll see. Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl last year so anything is possible.

I know exactly what he did that season and he looked like a very good up and comer, but that was THREE YEARS AGO, and he has progressed more and more each season to the point that his current team just wanted him gone. He's been a total bust at this point. His name shouldn't even be remotely thought of to replace Schaub. Not to mention his own team voted him out of being a freaking captain.

Corrosion
10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Manning easily has better weapons then anyone in the league.

He had two great WR's from last season that both got double digit TD's that are tall and very athletic and he added a guy who is arguably the best slot WR of all time. He also has a really good TE in Julius Thomas. His RB's aren't great, but they get the job done.

Manning's receiving core is ridiculous.

Arguable when you compare RB's , TE's and WR's which group is better.

Regardless which is better , Schaub has more than enough to succeed with which was my point.

Texecutioner
10-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Arguable when you compare RB's , TE's and WR's which group is better.

Regardless which is better , Schaub has more than enough to succeed with which was my point.

Definitely agree with you there as your main point. I think Brady who is a non mobile QB could carve teams apart with the Texans skill players. Manning as well. Schaub is just lacking in to many categories these days. I think that Keenum could put up some nice numbers with this collective group.

Uncle Rico
10-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Schaub needs a very good OL to be effective, he can have all the skill positions in the world, but when things break down up front Schaub has a hard time making a play.

TexansSeminole
10-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Before everything went South, when we were in control of the Seahawk game, I was thinking.... y'know, if Schaub keeps this up, we're going to spank Seattle & everyone's going to say Schaub had a "good" game. That he played fine.

It's very subtle, when he's playing well, in rhythm, in control. Like Mario Williams or Arian Foster, he makes it look effortless.

That's because the scheme is designed to make life easier on the QB. It doesn't require a QB to make huge plays by themselves.

infantrycak
10-06-2013, 02:04 AM
That's because the scheme is designed to make life easier on the QB. It doesn't require a QB to make huge plays by themselves.

OK this discounting the QB because of the system thing is being overblown severely. #1 if the system was so fantastic and easy for QBs any schlub could do it then the whole league would be running it and QB salaries would be way down. #2 the system is famous due to the play of three hall of fame QBs.* In contrast to the reputation of making any RB look good, there is no such reputation about QBs.

* Those three QBs played for 47 seasons to get 7 SB wins. The years they won those teams were stacked.

TexansSeminole
10-06-2013, 02:44 AM
OK this discounting the QB because of the system thing is being overblown severely. #1 if the system was so fantastic and easy for QBs any schlub could do it then the whole league would be running it and QB salaries would be way down. #2 the system is famous due to the play of three hall of fame QBs.* In contrast to the reputation of making any RB look good, there is no such reputation about QBs.

* Those three QBs played for 47 seasons to get 7 SB wins. The years they won those teams were stacked.

The point is that the scheme is based on a very strong running game/scheme, which makes the passing game mostly PA driven. This does make things easier on the QB automatically. This isn't Green Bay where there is little run game to rely upon. It isn't a Peytonesque scheme that requires a large amount of checking and changing at the LOS. The run action alone is what dictates how the defense plays against the offense and the QB simply needs to pick up the pieces. The QB is asked to run a clock management oriented game plan and make the proper reads and throws when the time comes. The QB isn't being asked to go out and win each game on the strength of their arm or legs alone. He isn't asked to run an up tempo offense and to get his team lined up and running on all cylinders on every drive at max tempo. The scheme is much easier than what a lot of teams are asking of their QB, especially with the implementation of zone reads and designed QB runs nowadays.

So yes, this scheme is not as intensive on a QB than others within the league right now.

infantrycak
10-06-2013, 03:34 AM
In the era of the Niners 5 SB wins the passing O ranked higher than the rushing O in 11 of 14 seasons including 4 of the 5 SB seasons.

These were teams who were not playing from behind generally so minimal padded stats. They had 1 losing season (the strike shortened season) the entire time and otherwise won 10 or more games every season.

thunderkyss
10-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Does it really make a difference? Like Corrosion was saying, if Schaub can get back to protecting the ball, we win, we win a lot, & we have a really good shot to win the Super Bowl..... which is the ultimate goal. Isn't it?

The point is that the scheme is based on a very strong running game/scheme, which makes the passing game mostly PA driven. This does make things easier on the QB automatically. This isn't Green Bay where there is little run game to rely upon. It isn't a Peytonesque scheme that requires a large amount of checking and changing at the LOS. The run action alone is what dictates how the defense plays against the offense and the QB simply needs to pick up the pieces. The QB is asked to run a clock management oriented game plan and make the proper reads and throws when the time comes. The QB isn't being asked to go out and win each game on the strength of their arm or legs alone. He isn't asked to run an up tempo offense and to get his team lined up and running on all cylinders on every drive at max tempo. The scheme is much easier than what a lot of teams are asking of their QB, especially with the implementation of zone reads and designed QB runs nowadays.

So yes, this scheme is not as intensive on a QB than others within the league right now.

First... it's not the "system" that is "clock management" blah, blah, blah.... This is the same system used in Denver & San Francisco before..... the same system Shanahan is using (or trying to) in Washington, tailored to the QB. In our system, the QB led the league in passing not too long ago & was voted to two Pro Bowls.

I also believe Kubiak, every team in the league wants to be balanced. New England's system isn't to chunk the ball 60 times a game, neither is Greenbay's. Both teams thought they had a running back & it hasn't worked out so well, yet. When they get to the Baltimore's & the SanFrancisco's & the Seahawks of the league, not being able to run the ball is going to bite them in the rear.

The point you're making though, making clutch plays at clutch moments, has been Schaub's weakness for a long, long time & has nothing to do with the system.

DocBar
10-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Does it really make a difference? Like Corrosion was saying, if Schaub can get back to protecting the ball, we win, we win a lot, & we have a really good shot to win the Super Bowl..... which is the ultimate goal. Isn't it?

First... it's not the "system" that is "clock management" blah, blah, blah.... This is the same system used in Denver & San Francisco before..... the same system Shanahan is using (or trying to) in Washington, tailored to the QB. In our system, the QB led the league in passing not too long ago & was voted to two Pro Bowls.

I also believe Kubiak, every team in the league wants to be balanced. New England's system isn't to chunk the ball 60 times a game, neither is Greenbay's. Both teams thought they had a running back & it hasn't worked out so well, yet. When they get to the Baltimore's & the SanFrancisco's & the Seahawks of the league, not being able to run the ball is going to bite them in the rear.

The point you're making though, making clutch plays at clutch moments, has been Schaub's weakness for a long, long time & has nothing to do with the system.Schaub's biggest weakness, imho, is the inability to deal with a decent pass rush. He gets happy feet and starts panicking and making bad decisions.

He gets worms in his brains like a golfer facing a shot over water saying to himself "don't hit it in the water" a hundred times before he swings and hits it right in the water. A lack of confidence is what causes that to happen a lot of times. Schaub appears to lack confidence in the face of a decent pass rush. He has none in the face of a good one. All QB's play worse in the face of a great one.

kingtexan
10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
If Matt does what I expect Matt to do today, Josh could be a band-aid for the season.

HouTx11
10-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Dude YOU were wrong on this!!! Deal with it!!!

/thread

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:15 PM
When can we expect the Josh Freeman signing? Later tonight, tomorrow morning maybe? Hurry up before another team signs him.

DocBar
10-06-2013, 10:17 PM
When can we expect the Josh Freeman signing? Later tonight, tomorrow morning maybe? Hurry up before another team signs him.

never

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:23 PM
never
Then we may not make the playoffs. Unless Keenum is the real deal.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Did the Vikings just sign Josh Freeman?

Ugh, figured some team would pounce quick after this Texans performance tonight. Now we have less and less options.

So looks like we're starting Schaub against the Rams next game? Odds on a 5th straight game with a pick 6?

Marcus
10-06-2013, 10:35 PM

He just signed with the Vikings, so you're too late.

BullNation4Life

Ugh, figured some team would pounce quick after this Texans performance tonight. Now we have less and less options.

So looks like we're starting Schaub against the Rams next game? Odds on a 5th straight game with a pick 6?

By none other than Courtland Finnigan...

How Effing funny would that be...

TexansSeminole
Freeman is not an option, I thought that had already been stated by anyone who has ever seen him play.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
He just signed with the Vikings, so you're too late.
Not much else to choose from. Even though I would argue a horrible passer like Tim Tebow can probably win some games with his legs on a team like this. April's draft can't get here fast enough.

Hookem Horns
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Where did you see that? Whomever signs Freeman has to pony up that 6 million he is due. A desperate team might do that but it won't be the Texans.

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Where did you see that? Whomever signs Freeman has to pony up that 6 million he is due. A desperate team might do that but it won't be the Texans.
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
Josh Freeman is headed to the Minnesota Vikings http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ilL

Big52Hurt
10-06-2013, 10:41 PM
hey fellas! the Vikings just signed Freeman.

~Mili

ArlingtonTexan
10-06-2013, 10:42 PM

It is one the Raider-chargers game crawl. Once the Bucs cut him and no one immediately claimed him (24 hours), the Bucs have to pay his contract and the other team just pays him the nego. price (probably vet min since he is getting legitimate money).

Bulls on Parade
10-06-2013, 10:42 PM
By none other than Courtland Finnigan...

How Effing funny would that be...
If Matt Schaub starts versus the Rams, a team he should beat, but ends up throwing a few more picks and we lose that game. Will that finally be it for him? I know Gary Kubiak is going to name him the starter as long as humanly possible.

drs23
10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Schaub needs a very good OL to be effective, he can have all the skill positions in the world, but when things break down up front Schaub has a hard time making a play.

I saw the line holding up pretty well this evening.

Vinny
10-06-2013, 10:46 PM
one year deal worth about 3 mil is being reported

Norg
10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
freeeeemmannn freeman screw that I want

BRETT FARVE or tim tebow or VY why NOT LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimmy
10-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Signed by Vikes ... off the table.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-06-2013, 11:55 PM

The Bucs still have to pay his salary since he was released. Freeman's new team (Vikings) are only on the hook for whatever contract he signs with them.

Hookem Horns
10-06-2013, 11:58 PM
The Bucs still have to pay his salary since he was released. Freeman's new team (Vikings) are only on the hook for whatever contract he signs with them.

OK, I thought I heard something here on the Bucs talk radio that any team that signed him would have to take on his salary.

Anyway, I just moved this thread to the NFL section now that Freeman is signing with the Vikings and NOT an option for the Texans.