PDA

View Full Version : Watt vs DeAndre

DX-TEX
09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2013/09/27/houston-texans-deandre-hopkins-seattle-seahawks/2885223/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

HOUSTON A week ago after practice, Houston Texans rookie DeAndre Hopkins hit the weight room thinking he'd get in a quiet workout only to be challenged to a test of will by J.J. Watt, the league's reigning Defensive Player of the Year.

Hopkins, who leads all rookies with 243 receiving yards on 18 catches with one touchdown entering Sunday's showdown against the Seattle Seahawks, learned first-hand what makes Watt such a relentless playmaker.

Along the way, the kid with the 10-inch sized hands earned Watt's respect with moxie to match his triple-large, oversized receiver gloves.

"It was just me and him in there lifting, and J.J. just told me, 'You're not going to outwork me,''' Hopkins told USA TODAY Sports Friday. "I said, 'I promise you, I'll outwork you.'

"J.J. said, 'I like that.'''

The 27th overall pick in the April draft did his best to hang in there. But pretty soon, his arms were burning, turning to rubber.

"I was trying to keep up with J.J. and I couldn't,'' Hopkins says. "J.J.'s a real quiet guy, hard worker during the week. But I call him the Incredible Hulk. Come game day, he just becomes a monster.

"Yeah, I left the weight room before he left.''

But not before the former cornerback-turned-receiver, who earned the nickname "Superman'' at D.W. Daniel High in Central, S.C., left a strong impression on Watt with a beyond-his-years demeanor.

"DeAndre has got the right mentality the biggest thing is he wants to be great, wants to put in the work,'' Watt told USA TODAY Sports. "He's showing all the time that he's a big playmaker. He's got all the tools and is doing all those things on the field.

Being mentored by Dre and JJ. I got your "beast mode" right here.

Playoffs
09-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Saw that, good read. Gotta love those two.

drs23
09-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Enjoyed the read, thanks for posting.

HJam72
09-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Saturday? They're lifting weights on the day before a game?

Well, whatever works.

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Well, whatever works.

Believe it's a Friday.

Carr Bombed
09-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Check this out...

1. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans

He has been a key entity on offense thus far, showcasing terrific hands and the ability to come through when the defense knows he's a likely target. He's playing like a five-year veteran, not a rookie with just three games under his belt. So far, he also has been the perfect complement to Andre Johnson, with 18 catches to Johnson's 25, and 26 targets to Johnson's 35. A couple of other things stick out to me. For one, Hopkins isn't just running in a straight line. He has shown a good diversity in his route running, and is showing some veteran chops. Secondly, he has exactly zero drops so far on 26 targets. When you add that up in the context of a position where it has been tough for rookies to deliver major impact year after year, you have the most impressive rookie to me so far.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9723118/nfl-deandre-hopkins-leads-mel-kiper-rookie-rankings

:)

If only we didn't have to wait until Andre exits the game before Schaub starts throwing his way. :kubepalm:

Brisco_County
09-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Check this out...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9723118/nfl-deandre-hopkins-leads-mel-kiper-rookie-rankings

If only we didn't have to wait until Andre exits the game before Schaub starts throwing his way. :kubepalm:

My excitement over Hopkins is tempered by his propensity for concussions. I hope it's not a chronic issue going forward.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

MEGA SWATT
09-27-2013, 11:55 PM

Well, whatever works.

:mariopalm:

Carr Bombed
09-28-2013, 12:40 AM
My excitement over Hopkins is tempered by his propensity for concussions. I hope it's not a chronic issue going forward.

He's had 2 concussions and they didn't come in succession like what happened to Collie or Best. I'll start to worry if he gets dinged again this year. I used to box and have probably suffered what the NFL would call today.. 3 concussions. Collie and Best were down every time they got tagged.

If he goes down again this year with a head injury, my red flag will go up, because it'll be coming right off the heels of the one he just had. Right now I'm not that worried, especially since I think the one that happened in preseason was more precautionary. If it was the regular season I doubt he would've been held out. Dre and Prior's hits were way more vicious (especially Prior), but since it was the "regular season".. they made "great strides during the week" :rolleyes: The NFL has lawyered up in the way they treat these injuries, but they haven't changed a thing.

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Check this out...

I don't know if I agree with the 5 year vet thing, but he looks to be as big a part of our offense as Julio Jones was in his second year. He's already getting more targets than OD... love OD, but we need a true #2WR & I'm glad to see Matt's looking at Hop like a true option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 01:56 AM

This sounds like the people thinking Matt has a "propensity" for throwing pick 6s... history doesn't bear this out & Matt is pretty good about protecting the football in general.

DocBar
09-28-2013, 04:02 AM
I don't know if I agree with the 5 year vet thing, but he looks to be as big a part of our offense as Julio Jones was in his second year. He's already getting more targets than OD... love OD, but we need a true #2WR & I'm glad to see Matt's looking at Hop like a true option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4DHop getting more catches will only loosen the coverage on OD.

If Kubiak/Dennison will actually evolve and attack a defense with the passing game, this will result in more catches for all receivers and ope up this offense against any defense. Run to pass or pass to run becomes viable in any situation. Attack the defense instead of react to it.

DHop has everything you want to see in a rookie and I'm McLovin' the hell out of it. I'd bet a decent amount of money that by this time next year, DHop will battle JJ to a draw in the weight room. Both want to be the best at what they do. Watt appears to be somewhat influenced by Cush and DHop is being influenced by Watt. Greats trying to outdo greats. Championships are made with this synergy.

Txn_in_Oki
09-28-2013, 05:17 AM

Well, whatever works.

Gotta get your lift on. That's how you get stronger.

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 09:12 AM
DHop getting more catches will only loosen the coverage on OD.

If Kubiak/Dennison will actually evolve and attack a defense with the passing game, this will result in more catches for all receivers and ope up this offense against any defense. Run to pass or pass to run becomes viable in any situation. Attack the defense instead of react to it.

I think the "struggles" we're seeing on offense are a direct result of Kubiak "evolving" our offense right before our eyes. By week 5 or 6 we'll start gel'n

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but LeStar jean didn't step foot on the field vs Tennessee.... it was Posey. Pretty soon, he'll be the third WR to see the field & we'll only see Martin in 4 wide situations & in case of injury to one of the top 3.

Hopkins getting catches over OD Is much better for our offense than just "freeing up" OD.. Right now Hop is averaging 13.5 ypc...... Kevin Walter only averaged more than 13 ypc once in his career, 2008 (15 ypc)... that's going to increase the spacing for our offense for everyone, stretch the field. When Arian hits that cutback, the closest guy is going to be 10 yards behind the LoS covering a deep midrange zone.

Carr Bombed
09-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Usually when a rook WR comes into the league he has to learn how to run routes. DeAndre Hopkins came equipped with the ability to run the entire tree.. Reason why he was described as the most NFL ready WR in the draft. What reservations do you have that make you disagree with the "5 year vet" statement? The dude has done and has exceeded everything that has been asked of him.

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
What reservations do you have that make you disagree with the "5 year vet" statement? The dude has done and has exceeded everything that has been asked of him.

Still looks like he's trying to prove himself. He's confident in his ability (far as I can see) not so much confident in the "fact" that he belongs.

Carr Bombed
09-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Still looks like he's trying to prove himself. He's confident in his ability (far as I can see) not so much confident in the "fact" that he belongs.

:ahhaha: What??? A HOFer said Hopkins could be better than him and he's leading his entire draft class at his craft. I highly doubt he's "trying to prove himself" or has any doubts that 'he belongs". He's curenttly outperforming '5 year vets" on a daily basis

Hottoddie
09-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Personally, I'd like an entire roster of players with this mentality. They're hungry & won't be denied.

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Personally, I'd like an entire roster of players with this mentality. They're hungry & won't be denied.

I'm not saying it as an insult. A 5 year vet acts a certain way. Hopkins doesn't so far. He carries himself better than a rookie..... very similar to the way Watt did his rookie year. But he's not acting like a 5 year vet.

Julio Jones is just coming to terms about his place on the team, about who he is in the NFL.

Carr Bombed
09-28-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm not saying it as an insult. A 5 year vet acts a certain way. Hopkins doesn't so far. He carries himself better than a rookie..... very similar to the way Watt did his rookie year. But he's not acting like a 5 year vet.

Julio Jones is just coming to terms about his place on the team, about who he is in the NFL.

.. what! WTF are you talking about? :vincepalm:

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 02:54 PM
.. what! WTF are you talking about? :vincepalm:

Not my fault you can't tell the difference between a 5 year vet & a 2nd year player.

:vincepalm:

Carr Bombed
09-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Not my fault you can't tell the difference between a 5 year vet & a 2nd year player.

:vincepalm:

Oh my bad, tell us than.. explain.

when you can play, you can play. Damn, Watt still has another level, he isn't a "5 year vet".

Carr Bombed
09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
double

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Oh my bad, tell us than.. explain.

when you can play, you can play. Damn, Watt still has another level, he isn't a "5 year vet".

It's not about being able to play or not. Are you saying he's acting like a 5 year vet because he can play? That doesn't make any sense.

DeAndre is like a 2nd year player. He's confident that he can play with the big boys & he's working on getting everyone else to believe it, Like Julio Jones last year. Watt's not. He knows who he is..... like a 5 year vet, he's not trying to prove he belongs, or trying to prove his rookie season wasn't a fluke. He knows he belongs in the NFL & is working to be one of the best ever.

DeAndre is still measuring himself against the guy lining up against him.

DocBar
09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm interested in seeing how DHop finishes the year. I wonder if he'll hit the proverbial "rookie wall" or just go over it or through it.

DX-TEX
09-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Check this out...

I loved Nuk's response:

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 27 Sep
DeAndre Hopkins was told Mel Kiper says he's best rookie in the league. Hopkins replied Kiper also said he was going to be a bust. #Texans

dc_txtech
09-28-2013, 04:24 PM
It's not about being able to play or not. Are you saying he's acting like a 5 year vet because he can play? That doesn't make any sense.

DeAndre is still measuring himself against the guy lining up against him.

The article is talking about him being able to play, it's not about his mental outlook on the game.

Nuk is running a lot of routes that require perfect timing between the QB and WR. When he runs a ten yard out, he's not running a ten and half or a nine and a half yard route. He is exactly where he needs to be on the field and he is getting there right when he needs to be there. I've seen him run slants, outs, hitch and goes, fades, back corner, and sometimes just go up and get it. He goes over the middle, he can beat people deep, or you can just throw the ball to him on a quick screen and let him make something happen.

This is a complex offense that requires a lot of trust between the QB and his WR's. I would say this is probably one of the most difficult offenses in the league for a rookie to come into. For Nuk to be able to come in and not only start day 1 but be top 20 in yards and receptions this early in the season is nearly unheard of. So yeah, I would agree that he looks like he's been playing in this offense for 5 years.

Cordarrelle Patterson (taken 2 picks after Hopkins) is in a very simple offense in Minnesota and he can't beat Jerome Simpson out for a starting spot. Hell, Jacoby Jones was here for five years and still couldn't figure it out.

thunderkyss
09-28-2013, 04:32 PM
The article is talking about him being able to play, it's not about his mental outlook on the game.

well.... maybe I should have read the article.

My bad. :hides:

dc_txtech
09-28-2013, 04:45 PM
well.... maybe I should have read the article.

My bad. :hides:

Lol, no worries man I didn't read it either it's a pay site. I just read the blurb that Carr Bombed posted.

Hop has been lights out for what we're asking him to do though, IMO of course.

chenjy9
09-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Wrong thread sorry