PDA

View Full Version : Ok everyone just calm down....

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 03:14 AM
We started the season red hot last year, we were blowing teams away. Then came the end of the season where we lost 3 out of 4, barely scrapped by the bengals in the play-offs.

We are not playing very good football right now, everyone can see that and yet after 3 games we are still 2-1. Would you rather hit your peak at the start of the season or gain momentum towards the middle/end of the season. Every season the texans lay a big fat goose egg atleast once that makes you say WTF, yesterday was just that.

On the bright side this is not an 8-8 team at best like another thread states. Foster is looking like the old foster again, Watt is still watt, Cushing is playing like a mad man, Our Defense really isnt playing to terrible besides a few big plays. Its really the offense thats making life difficult for them. Reed finally played he got his feet wet and will only get better, which will make the whole secondary better. And despite what we saw yesterday our offense is pretty damn good.

We all wait for the games all week long, we all have expectations so it is no surprise we go out and play bad on Sunday and before you know it we are the new browns to a lot of our fans. Emotions are a funny thing, make you say and think stuff that is clearly not true. And those who are now saying this is a bad team, that is simply not true. We'll be fine !!!

On a side note did anyone else have trouble getting onto TT about half way through the game ?

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 06:35 AM
We started the season red hot last year, we were blowing teams away. Then came the end of the season where we lost 3 out of 4, barely scrapped by the bengals in the play-offs.

Them Bengals are playing good ball right now. They eeked out a good one against Green Bay yesterday.

We are not playing very good football right now, everyone can see that and yet after 3 games we are still 2-1. Would you rather hit your peak at the start of the season or gain momentum towards the middle/end of the season. Every season the texans lay a big fat goose egg atleast once that makes you say WTF, yesterday was just that.

I think I can understand some of the poor outlook a lot of us have. We started out red hot last year, despite glaring problems that did not get fixed as the season went on. We continued to win in spite of those problems, until they caught up with us in December.

Right now, it's hard to see any good will being built to allow for the fall in December & there's little reason to believe the powers that be have what it takes to right the ship.

On the bright side this is not an 8-8 team at best like another thread states. Foster is looking like the old foster again, Watt is still watt, Cushing is playing like a mad man, Our Defense really isnt playing to terrible besides a few big plays. Its really the offense thats making life difficult for them. Reed finally played he got his feet wet and will only get better, which will make the whole secondary better. And despite what we saw yesterday our offense is pretty damn good.

That's another thing. It's not the offense. When we needed to, we've been able to march the ball down the field with relative ease. The problem, is that we don't play like that until we "need" to.

We should want to get down the field & score on every possession. You'd think the players & coaches know that, but at a very high level (even a layman can see it) there is a distinct difference between when we need to & when we want to. The Texans need to find a way to close that gap.

We all wait for the games all week long, we all have expectations so it is no surprise we go out and play bad on Sunday and before you know it we are the new browns to a lot of our fans. Emotions are a funny thing, make you say and think stuff that is clearly not true. And those who are now saying this is a bad team, that is simply not true. We'll be fine !!!

I admire your support of your team. We need more like you. But is that the "fan" talking? Honest question, have you ever seen this team play better at the end of the season than it did at the beginning? Not beating up on the weaker teams at the end of the schedule, or winning games the other team couldn't care less about? I mean actually playing better football... the eyeball test.

It's been a long time since I've actually seen them play better in December than they did in September. I believe most of us know it, even though we're saying it in different ways, that's what upsets us.

HTown2ATX
09-23-2013, 06:38 AM
On a side note did anyone else have trouble getting onto TT about half way through the game ?

Yeah, Chrome kept telling me for a while it couldn't load TT then it would for a split second then it would disappear again. I just assumed the diarrhea Schaub was ejecting on the field hit the servers too. Really need to get him those Sheilds and Guards soon.

http://gaia.adage.com/images/bin/image/x-large/Tony-Siragusa-depends.jpg

While I also agree it's not time to panic full bore yet. It's laughable to just sweep this under the rug at the same time (not that you're doing that but there are sunshine pumpers already emerging doing that).

Malloy
09-23-2013, 06:41 AM
My major concern right now is that save two plays, we're 0-3 right now.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 06:56 AM
My major concern right now is that save two plays, we're 0-3 right now.

I was thinking save two plays we would be 3-0 right now.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Them Bengals are playing good ball right now. They eeked out a good one against Green Bay yesterday.

I think I can understand some of the poor outlook a lot of us have. We started out red hot last year, despite glaring problems that did not get fixed as the season went on. We continued to win in spite of those problems, until they caught up with us in December.

Right now, it's hard to see any good will being built to allow for the fall in December & there's little reason to believe the powers that be have what it takes to right the ship.

That's another thing. It's not the offense. When we needed to, we've been able to march the ball down the field with relative ease. The problem, is that we don't play like that until we "need" to.

We should want to get down the field & score on every possession. You'd think the players & coaches know that, but at a very high level (even a layman can see it) there is a distinct difference between when we need to & when we want to. The Texans need to find a way to close that gap.

I admire your support of your team. We need more like you. But is that the "fan" talking? Honest question, have you ever seen this team play better at the end of the season than it did at the beginning? Not beating up on the weaker teams at the end of the schedule, or winning games the other team couldn't care less about? I mean actually playing better football... the eyeball test.

It's been a long time since I've actually seen them play better in December than they did in September. I believe most of us know it, even though we're saying it in different ways, that's what upsets us.

Well since they sare playing so poor now, this might be the year we actually do it, well thats what him hoping for.

Thorn
09-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm not gonna calm down until I see a super bowl parade in downtown Houston. And I'll keep bitching and moaning about everything I don't like until then.

Ktexan68
09-23-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry to be so negative but this really feels like 2010 to me. We had a couple last second wins, stumble to 4-2 and then the wheels really came off. The sky is not falling but we have some serious problems.

Corrosion
09-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Nope , not gonna do it.

I'm done with the noodle armed statue of a QB.

I'm thoroughly convinced that Schaub isn't capable of leading this team to a Lombardi Trophy.

For the guy to be successful , everything else has to be perfect and in the NFL , you just cant expect that.

silvrhand
09-23-2013, 08:06 AM
We were 3-12 on third down this week, anyone want to pick out the 3rd down conversion attempts and break down what really went wrong?

- twice I saw 3rd and > 10 we ran the draw, and gave up (kubiak)
- twice I saw Matt throw a ball 2-3 yards short of the first down hoping they would pick this up (not sure who to blame here)

I don't have anything else on the rest but the above already makes me sick and kills me year in year out. Kubiak again plays the safe game.. Matt doesn't seem to skills at QB to get the tough 3rd down conversions. Of late he's been staring down his primary receiver hard core and not going through the progressions either. What's up with that?

Ktexan68
09-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Nope , not gonna do it.

I'm done with the noodle armed statue of a QB.

I'm thoroughly convinced that Schaub isn't capable of leading this team to a Lombardi Trophy.

For the guy to be successful , everything else has to be perfect and in the NFL , you just cant expect that.

QFT. I've been a Schaub apologist but I just can't do it anymore. We need a new QB.

Malloy
09-23-2013, 08:11 AM

Honestly, I think the first two weeks were closer to defeats than victories. I guess we see Things differently :)

I'm satisfied with any sort of Progress at this point, but going into turtle mode whenever we start a game, I just Wonder...

PapaL
09-23-2013, 08:31 AM
ST coverage is a pile of hot garbage.

Offense slept walked through this entire game; that's a HUGE cause for concern.

To me, the Defense gets a pass. How many 3 and outs did they cause in the first half? Offense consistently started mid-field and proceeded to take dump right around there.

ST and Offense were responsible for 14/30 points the Ravens scored.

On the bright side Bullock went 3/3. Suddenly those long misses don't seem so pressing when the Offense is crapping the bed and rolling around in it.

One more thing, why does it take AJ going down to get Nuk the ball?

Tailgate
09-23-2013, 08:35 AM
If Duane Brown comes back healthy, and the O-Line begins to gel.. We will be fine. We only go as far as that unit takes us.

And this in no way reminds me of 2010. That defense was the worst that the game of football has ever seen. :shades:

silvrhand
09-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Love you man, but damn you have some rosey glasses on lol. You are Mr. Glass Half full.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
If Duane Brown comes back healthy, and the O-Line begins to gel.. We will be fine. We only go as far as that unit takes us.

I don't think we need to wait to see if Brown is going to be able to go... It's better if we assume the worse & act accordingly. We need to spread the defense, more 4 & even 5 wide sets out of the shotgun. Run uptempo dinks & dunks to get the ball moving.... can't depend on the pass protection.

Back the defense up... shift to an ACE set from the shotgun & stretch the crap out of the defense.

Corrosion
09-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I don't think we need to wait to see if Brown is going to be able to go... It's better if we assume the worse & act accordingly. We need to spread the defense, more 4 & even 5 wide sets out of the shotgun. Run uptempo dinks & dunks to get the ball moving.... can't depend on the pass protection.

Back the defense up... shift to an ACE set from the shotgun & stretch the crap out of the defense.

Does that mean you have confidence in Schaub to execute that plan ?! I'm rapidly losing faith in him.

Tailgate
09-23-2013, 08:52 AM

I'm cool with trying more of that. Normally I would say well, we arent going to play a front 7 as talanted as the Ravens very often.....

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 09:03 AM
The first three games of this season are reminding me of the first three games of the 2010 season.

cuppacoffee
09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
It could be worse.

At least we scored three field goals, Tampa Bay only scored one. :kitten:

All other teams managed at least one TD.

:coffee:

disaacks3
09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm calm, but the Texans have some things to fix and haven't really gotten out of the slow start slump yet.

A. Special Teams - We finished dead last in 2012. If not for Bullock touchbacks and Lechler bombs, we might already be there in 2013. Lanes are evidently only for freeways.

B. Schaub - Two (and virtually a third) pick six in three games? At most, one of those was on the WR. You expect your QB to get you out of holes, not to dig them for you.

C. Injuries - Brown missing was noticeable almost immediately. False start the first series and inability to punch it in down close twice. AJ being out we worked around at home, but Schaub couldn't manage to find folks open once he went out in Baltimore.

D. Playcalling - Even 610 pointed out to Schaub this morning that we're dead last in long pass attempts. 3rd and 10+? Let's run a draw or throw a 7-yd. route and pray. Maybe that'll work consistently against inferior competition, but not against a good/great defense.

Our team momentum isn't trending "up" yet.

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 09:10 AM
As a fan base, we've tried to ignore in victory what we would not ignore on defeat. So now people will complain about symptoms that have been there since the start of the season.

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm not gonna calm down until I see a super bowl parade in downtown Houston. And I'll keep bitching and moaning about everything I don't like until then.

Yep

This acceptance of mediocrity is sickening.

Gary Kubiak is Head Coach for life.

Almost a decade later and Kubiak is really no better of a HC than he was as a rookie. (Yes I know his clock management and challanges have gotten better.) I mean when has Gary ever held his AC's accountable? He fired Bush to save his own skin, under direct orders from BoB.

Bottom line for me is: if Gary was a true leader Coach Joe would've been gone a long time ago.

Coach Joe Must Go

markn
09-23-2013, 09:18 AM
As a fan base, we've tried to ignore in victory what we would not ignore on defeat. So now people will complain about symptoms that have been there since the start of the season.

Absolutely right. The sky didn't fall yesterday, we've been knee deep in clouds all season.

mridge01
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
It could be worse.

At least we scored three field goals, Tampa Bay only scored one. :kitten:

All other teams managed at least one TD.

The Giants didn't.

mridge01
09-23-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm calm, but this team really should be 0-3 and now have Seattle and SF looming. Good luck with that Texans. They'll have more losses than wins before too long.

mridge01
09-23-2013, 09:26 AM
D. Playcalling - Even 610 pointed out to Schaub this morning that we're dead last in long pass attempts. 3rd and 10+? Let's run a draw or throw a 7-yd. route and pray. Maybe that'll work consistently agaisnt inferior competition, but not against a good/great defense.

Kubiak is the most predictible play caller in the league.

mridge01
09-23-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm calm, but the Texans have some things to fix and haven't really gotten out of the slow start slump yet.

A. Special Teams - We finished dead last in 2012. If not for Bullock touchbacks and Lechler bombs, we might already be there in 2013. Lanes are evidently only for freeways.

B. Schaub - Two (and virtually a third) pick six in three games? At most, one of those was on the WR. You expect your QB to get you out of holes, not to dig them for you.

C. Injuries - Brown missing was noticeable almost immediately. False start the first series and inability to punch it in down close twice. AJ being out we worked around at home, but Schaub couldn't manage to find folks open once he went out in Baltimore.

D. Playcalling - Even 610 pointed out to Schaub this morning that we're dead last in long pass attempts. 3rd and 10+? Let's run a draw or throw a 7-yd. route and pray. Maybe that'll work consistently against inferior competition, but not against a good/great defense.

Our team momentum isn't trending "up" yet.

One thing I would add to this is defense is NOT forcing Turnovers. They are holding opponents down, but can only do so much with an innaffective offense.

PapaL
09-23-2013, 09:36 AM
This "we should be 0-3" is a bunch of a crap. We made plays to win those games. Oh no, we had to make plays to win a game. It wasn't pretty. Who gives a crap? Teams make plays. That's what happens in the NFL. Good on paper doesn't translate to good on the field.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Does that mean you have confidence in Schaub to execute that plan ?! I'm rapidly losing faith in him.

Absolutely. He's looked good when he's run an uptempo offense. If we get Schaub in a rhythm, I think he can be great.

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 09:40 AM
This "we should be 0-3" is a bunch of a crap.

Agreed. But the notion that the team could be 0-3 is different than should be. In other words, don't ignore in victory what you wouldn't in defeat.

cuppacoffee
09-23-2013, 09:41 AM
The Giants didn't.

Missed that one.

I feel better now. :)

Trail.Blazr
09-23-2013, 09:42 AM
I am calm :)

The Ravens game went as I expected it to based on history and what I consider to be a fair assessment of this team. They continue struggle against pretenders and continue to implode against contenders. While there are exceptions to this rule, for the most part, it's spot on. Fortunately, they are a good enough team to overcome the pretenders and in the past 2 years, that has equated to becoming the reigning NFL post season paper tiger. IMHO, that comes from a poor Special Teams component and a QB that is good. Not great, not elite.. Just good. I won't get down on Matt. All QB's will make mistakes and have bad games. Tell me the last time you saw a game that made you feel Matt was the reason the Texans won? ie, he carried the team to victory? And if so, who did they play?

PapaL
09-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Agreed. But the notion that the team could be 0-3 is different than should be. In other words, don't ignore in victory what you wouldn't in defeat.

I don't deny we have issues, no one that follows this team should deny that. However, every team has issues. That doesn't make ours any bigger than everyone else. 2-1 sure beats 0-3.

Hopefully something positive comes from this beating. :texflag:

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Yep

This acceptance of mediocrity is sickening.

Gary Kubiak is Head Coach for life.

Almost a decade later and Kubiak is really no better of a HC than he was as a rookie. (Yes I know his clock management and challanges have gotten better.) I mean when has Gary ever held his AC's accountable? He fired Bush to save his own skin, under direct orders from BoB.

Bottom line for me is: if Gary was a true leader Coach Joe would've been gone a long time ago.

Coach Joe Must Go

Just pointing out how silly this sounds. We were rattling off the problems this team had from week 1. None of those problems went away, but we managed to win 12 games in spite of them. We won the division, we won a play off game.. & it don't matter to me who we beat. They were there, they got beat.

All because Kubiak does a good job of covering up our weaknesses.

We lose one game & we're talking about mediocrity..... that's silly. There are real issues here, to make sht up.... that's just, well.... silly.

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't deny we have issues, no one that follows this team should deny that. However, every team has issues. That doesn't make ours any bigger than everyone else. 2-1 sure beats 0-3.

2-3, here we come.

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 09:48 AM

He also does a pretty good job of creating those weaknesses. This is his team. He built it, he coached it, he selected the asst coaches, and he even selected his GM.

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm cool with trying more of that. Normally I would say well, we arent going to play a front 7 as talanted as the Ravens very often.....

We will be next week! Use that approach with the Seahawks, expect more pick sixes AND for Schaub to be killed!

PapaL
09-23-2013, 09:53 AM
2-3, here we come.
Losing like THAT...especially when I live in the state, is bad. Even the damn cops at the gate were chirping in my ear this morning.

Corrosion
09-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Absolutely. He's looked good when he's run an uptempo offense. If we get Schaub in a rhythm, I think he can be great.

Schaub needs some of what you are smoking! :heh:

He also does a pretty good job of creating those weaknesses. This is his team. He built it, he coached it, he selected the asst coaches, and he even selected his GM.

I wonder how much of that is his QB .... We know he cant move well. He doesn't have a strong arm .... and from the looks of the last three games , he isn't reading defenses very well. I have to wonder if the league has figured him out.

PapaL
09-23-2013, 10:01 AM
I wonder how much of that is his QB .... We know he cant move well. He doesn't have a strong arm .... and from the looks of the last three games , he isn't reading defenses very well. I have to wonder if the league has figured him out.

Maybe Schaub needs new contacts lenses. He sure isn't seeing 'ish out there.

http://www.esreality.com/files/inlineimages/2010/75114-CantSee-RayCharles.jpg

Tailgate
09-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Losing like THAT...especially when I live in the state, is bad. Even the damn cops at the gate were chirping in my ear this morning.

I mean, they should know right?

PapaL
09-23-2013, 10:04 AM
I mean, they should know right?

I have a rule in life, never argue with a guy with a gun.

I'll eat my giant slice of humble pie but I know we're better than they are. Just weren't yesterday.

bOODRO87
09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Same ol' stuff, different year. We have two really good WR's besides AJ in Hopkins and Posey so what's the excuse for the 3-5 yards passes? Screens on long 3rd downs? We are SOFT. Just like the Longhorns. Starts with the HC. Also, Schaub might be the least athletic QB in the entire league.

I'm so tired of people defending Schaub and Gary. It's exactly like last year and the years before. Slow starts. Predictable play calling. Everything has to be perfect for Schaub to perform. My emotions are put to the side for this season because I see exactly what kind of team we are. It's a shame because we are loaded with talent except at QB. There are far worse OL in the league with the QB playing above it. Ugh..

cstyle42
09-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Same ol' stuff, different year. We have two really good WR's besides AJ in Hopkins and Posey so what's the excuse for the 3-5 yards passes? Screens on long 3rd downs? We are SOFT. Just like the Longhorns. Starts with the HC. Also, Schaub might be the least athletic QB in the entire league.

I'm so tired of people defending Schaub and Gary. It's exactly like last year and the years before. Slow starts. Predictable play calling. Everything has to be perfect for Schaub to perform. My emotions are put to the side for this season because I see exactly what kind of team we are. It's a shame because we are loaded with talent except at QB. There are far worse OL in the league with the QB playing above it. Ugh..

This something else that ticks me off... I got the texans app and I'm looking at the post game interviews. They got Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Shane Lechler and Ryan Harris talking. Where in the hell is Matt Schaub? Somewhere hiding behind Gary Kubiak next to Rick Dennison! Speak up man say something... I wish the players on our team would just go ahead and call Schaub out. I am sick of this dude being cuddled and nurtured. My bet is Arian Foster is the first to do it.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
This something else that ticks me off... I got the texans app and I'm looking at the post game interviews. They got Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Shane Lechler and Ryan Harris talking. Where in the hell is Matt Schaub? Somewhere hiding behind Gary Kubiak next to Rick Dennison! Speak up man say something... I wish the players on our team would just go ahead and call Schaub out. I am sick of this dude being cuddled and nurtured. My bet is Arian Foster is the first to do it.

He did his Matt Schaub show this morning. I'm waiting for the podcast on HT.com

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Just pointing out how silly this sounds. We were rattling off the problems this team had from week 1. None of those problems went away, but we managed to win 12 games in spite of them. We won the division, we won a play off game.. & it don't matter to me who we beat. They were there, they got beat.

We lose one game & we're talking about mediocrity..... that's silly. There are real issues here, to make sht up.... that's just, well.... silly.

The point is that this team has peaked under Gary/Matt and since Gary is HC for life then yes it's best to move on from Schaub. Be it with T.J./Case or a draft pick.

And yes, keeping a ST's coach of the worst ST's in the NFL and expecting a different result, even when you spend $$$$ on the best P in in NFL history is ludicrous/excepting mediocrity and not holding people accountable. All of which seems to be a staple of Gary's regime.

But hey, these guys are all great guys.

BullNation4Life
09-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Ah yes, the all encompassing "Everybody Calm Down" thread that comes after Texans fans are displeased about what they see on the field...

Personally, I am tired of calming down. I've been calm for 12 years now, I've been calm for what 8 years now with this head coach?

Calm walked it's self right out the door at the end of last year when a 2nd year coach was in the Super Bowl and our 7-8th year coach has only 2 playoffs wins under his belt.

Calm walked out the door when I am watching teams that were 7-9, 6-10, 2-14 turn it around in one year and make noise in the playoffs, while THIS team keeps on with status quo...

Calm walked out the door when the EXACT same problems that plagued this team last year, are still plaguing this team this year. When you see that nothing has changed from the last time you saw this team...

Screw calm, it's time to rage against the machine...

Texecutioner
09-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Agree with this statement 100%, but that has always been the motto of this board. Ignore the glaring problems and get irritated at others who bring up the concerns ahead of time, but then totally freak out when the team loses and go all haywire over it then. Symptoms are always there, but when a team wins even if it's ugly people like to gloss over it. I questioned whether Kubiak would start a guy like Wilson or Kaepernick, because I don't think Kubiak would have ever opened up the competition to either guy. I think he is attached to Schaub and that is the only alternative he wants. I think that is a problem that we might have to be tied to Schaub for another two or three more years due to Gary's attachment. That is a problem that shouldn't be accepted for that much longer as more and more people are certain that we can't win with Schaub.

powda
09-23-2013, 11:12 AM
I have to wonder if the league has figured him out.

I think some in the league have figured out a couple of hot read adjustments we make.

He did his Matt Schaub show this morning. I'm waiting for the podcast on HT.com

I heard Schaub for a couple of minutes this morning and was reminded what a waste of time it is. All coach speak.

Thorn
09-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Ah yes, the all encompassing "Everybody Calm Down" thread that comes after Texans fans are displeased about what they see on the field...

Personally, I am tired of calming down. I've been calm for 12 years now, I've been calm for what 8 years now with this head coach?

Calm walked it's self right out the door at the end of last year when a 2nd year coach was in the Super Bowl and our 7-8th year coach has only 2 playoffs wins under his belt.

Calm walked out the door when I am watching teams that were 7-9, 6-10, 2-14 turn it around in one year and make noise in the playoffs, while THIS team keeps on with status quo...

Calm walked out the door when the EXACT same problems that plagued this team last year, are still plaguing this team this year. When you see that nothing has changed from the last time you saw this team...

good post, excellent rant, and I agree 100%. + rep

buddyboy
09-23-2013, 11:27 AM

Maybe I'm a "sunshine-pumper", but this board is absolutely sickening after the first loss of the season.

I'm all for bringing up legitimate concerns about the team and even complaining about players/coaches/schemes. Every team (shocker) has them.

What makes me sick is how the first loss of the year (and every loss after that) is used to somehow prove that certain people were right all along. It's like they were lying in wait, painfully being patient through wins (because, you know, that's what fans do), and then finally. FINALLY. It's time to unleash the hate, because our team lost a game.

Every team loses. Every team can look BAD. Any given Sunday.

By all means, rage against the machine. Just wait for more than one loss on the season.

Tailgate
09-23-2013, 11:40 AM

I thought you were becoming a Colts fan already?

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
What makes me sick is how the first loss of the year (and every loss after that) is used to somehow prove that certain people were right all along.

Agreed.

"We were inconsistent in the red zone last year & we're inconsistent now."

We were 8 for 8 before yesterday.

"Matt never throws it past the sticks" He did against the Chargers, he did against the Titans.

"We can't beat the elite teams" We beat these Ravens last year.

"We never step on anyone's throat." We killed these Ravens & the Broncos last season.

But since we lost, it's time to bring all that up.

Thorn
09-23-2013, 11:50 AM
The team had a piss poor performance yesterday, and a lot of the stuff we saw we've seen to many times already.

Ktexan68
09-23-2013, 11:54 AM
We should have grabbed Manning last year when he had us on his list of teams he was interested in.

BullNation4Life
09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
I thought you were becoming a Colts fan already?

Just when I thought I was out.....

Dey pull me back in!!!!

dalemurphy
09-23-2013, 12:58 PM

On the heels of last season, I can understand the frustration with the conservative playcalls on 3rd and long. However, the conservative game plan was unique to this week- on the road against Baltimore and without Duane Brown. The Texans have been very aggressive in those situations the first two weeks- more aggressive than I ever remember. Clearly, they entered this week attempting to control the ball, avoid 7 step drops, and rely on the defense more heavily. The game plan fell apart int he 2nd quarter with the interception return and the punt return. I

It did make sense to avoid exposing our tackles to Dumervil and Suggs. Unfortunately, those two big plays combined with an afternoon of penalties vs. the defense ruined the plan. In a tight game in the second quarter, I thought it made total sense to run a draw on 3rd and 17 in our own territory.

disaacks3
09-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Since there seems to be a concerted effort to overlook Schaub's shortcomings this year, let's have a little perspective: Link (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchaMa00.htm)

Let's see:

The Good:

1. Completion percentage = A bit above his career average at 64.4

2. Above career average for yards

3. Above career average for touchdowns

4. Above career average for TD percentage.

5. Yards / Game second only to 2009

6. Great pace for 4th QTR comebacks and game winning drives.

The Bad:

1. Set to shatter INT numbers

2. Highest INT % since 2007

3. Longest pass of 32 yds (last in the league)

4. Lowest Y/A and AY/A as a Texan (only higher than his rookie yr in ATL)

5. Y/C - Lowest in his career

6. Quarterback Rating and ESPNs QBR - One lowest since 2007, the other FAR lower since they started it in 2008.

7. On pace to shatter sacks mark (though this one most assuredly not all on him)

8. NY/A & AYN/A- Lowest since he was a rookie in ATL.

Someone please tell me how those "good" numbers outweigh the "bad" ones? That we're 2-1 isn't enough, not with the remaining schedule.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Since there seems to be a concerted effort to overlook Schaub's shortcomings this year, let's have a little perspective: Link (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchaMa00.htm)

Let's see:

The Good:

The Bad:

6. Quarterback Rating and ESPNs QBR - One lowest since 2007, the other FAR lower since they started it in 2008.

7. On pace to shatter sacks mark (though this one most assuredly not all on him)

Someone please tell me how those "good" numbers outweigh the "bad" ones? That we're 2-1 isn't enough, not with the remaining schedule.

3 games in, thats what the numbers tell you. Id be interested to hear what the numbers looked like at the start of week 3. One bad game in 3 certainly throws numbers off. I dont think Schaub will continue his INT avg. I think 3-5 on the bad will also improve with more games

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Maybe I'm a "sunshine-pumper", but this board is absolutely sickening after the first loss of the season.

I'm all for bringing up legitimate concerns about the team and even complaining about players/coaches/schemes. Every team (shocker) has them.

What makes me sick is how the first loss of the year (and every loss after that) is used to somehow prove that certain people were right all along. It's like they were lying in wait, painfully being patient through wins (because, you know, that's what fans do), and then finally. FINALLY. It's time to unleash the hate, because our team lost a game.

By all means, rage against the machine. Just wait for more than one loss on the season.

I agree with you. Schaub certainly can play better and the INT numbers have to improve. The team is not rolling up to par and you are still 2-1

dalemurphy
09-23-2013, 01:12 PM
The team had a piss poor performance yesterday, and a lot of the stuff we saw we've seen to many times already.

They stunk it up yesterday. No doubt! However, what fan base doesn't see a pattern in their team's losses? Each team has a weakness, or limitation, or a strength that it depends on... when those get exposed, that's when losses happen.

I am more optimistic about this team than I have been for any Texan team three weeks into the season. I agree that they haven't played particularly well. Still, I see dramatic improvement in talent and mindset in all the areas we have recently struggled in. For example:

1. Schaub: He has made a couple horrible and costly throws. However, he looks more nimble and confident in the pocket than I remember him. Also, he is taking hits much better. I'm not sure why, but he is a different player physically this year.

2. Special Teams: Despite the field goal fiasco in week two and the punt return, the addition of Lechler and Bullock has dramatically flipped field position... We are starting drives (without collecting turnovers) near the 40 yard line, while regularly pinning our opponents inside the 20.

3. Playmakers on offense: a healthy Tate, Hopkins, Posey, and Martin have all shown NFL playmaking ability and the combination of depth and talent allow for many options in many situations.

4. LBs: Cushing's return (though he's still not himself), plus the addition of Mays and Sharpton have altered the ILB position- making it much more athletic.

5. Mercilus: is showing a lot of positive signs!

6. DLINE: depth and talent even better than last year with Jamison's return, Mitchell's growth, and the addition of the Jacksonville guy (McClain?)

7. Safety play: Swearinger is going to be good and is already an asset. Reed will add a dimension to the defense we have never had... Heck, even Keo has played well.

8. Brandon Brooks: is a beast! Wow! Remarkable upgrade at guard from last season.

*** Other than an unfortunate rash of injuries, the only real concern I have on the team is RT. I honestly believe the Texans will enter January as the prohibitive favorite in the AFC, barring a rash of significant injuries.

HOU-TEX
09-23-2013, 01:12 PM
We should have grabbed Manning last year when he had us on his list of teams he was interested in.

Yeah, we should've. I mean, with all the cap space we had we could've easily afforded another 20 million a year.

:rolleyes:

gary
09-23-2013, 01:19 PM
I am tired of both the calm down threads and the others they both are old.

disaacks3
09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
3 games in, thats what the numbers tell you. Id be interested to hear what the numbers looked like at the start of week 3. One bad game in 3 certainly throws numbers off. I dont think Schaub will continue his INT avg. I think 3-5 on the bad will also improve with more games It depends on the stat you're looking at. His completion % vs. the Titans was horrid (worse than the Ravens). I'm thinking we're just getting to the hard part of the schedule. I'll be thrilled if these numbers get better the next two weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

BullNation4Life
09-23-2013, 01:26 PM

No make no mistake, I understand teams lose and any given Sunday, yada yada yada. It is the fact that it is the SAME way they lose. It is the same mistakes, same glaring holes that have not been addressed since last year

How many games are they gonna give up big special team plays, How many times am I gonna have to see 4th and 1 and they kick a FG. How many times am I gonna see McCain hold or Jackson not look back for the ball?

It is the same thing every week and it's beyond frustrating.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Let's see:

The Good:

The Bad:

Running down the stats on espn it looks better on paper than tv which can often be the case

#9 in yards
#3 in completions and attempts
#7 in completion %
#23 in yards per attempt
#4 in TDs
#4 for most INTs
Notes #1 Eli (5TDs) #2 Geno(3 td) #4 Brees(6 tds) Palmer(3 tds) Big Ben (4 tds_ Kaepernick (3 tds) Griffin III (5 tds)
#19 in most sacks take

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 01:30 PM
It depends on the stat you're looking at. His completion % vs. the Titans was horrid (worse than the Ravens). I'm thinking we're just getting to the hard part of the schedule. I'll be thrilled if these numbers get better the next two weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

His comp % was fine yesterday but the yards were meh if you throw 71%+ thats usually a good day but that was his lowest attempts this year 35 vs 48 and 45

Dread-Head
09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
His comp % was fine yesterday but the yards were meh if you throw 71%+ thats usually a good day but that was his lowest attempts this year 35 vs 48 and 45

For what it's worth David CARR had pretty impressive stats when he was here. AJ can make any schlub look like a half decent QB.

Blake
09-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Asking people on this board to calm down is futile. Many on this message board cant help themselves but go ape **** when we lose. People last year would say we need to be playing our best football when the playoffs start. And now we need to be playing our best football the 3rd game of the season. I guess you just simply want super bowl caliber play all freaking year long. No big deal. Just do that, Texans.

Yes, our offense and ST stunk yesterday. But sometimes our offense doesn't click, especially without D. Brown and a healthy AJ, and on ST, those are things that can be corrected.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
For what it's worth David CARR had pretty impressive stats when he was here. AJ can make any schlub look like a half decent QB.

Yeah carr's stats are impressive

Carr's avg

16.35/27 completion/attempts
60.5%
176 yards a game
11.8 td/13ints

Schaub's

21.65/33.275
65%
261 yards a game
19td/10.6 ints

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Asking people on this board to calm down is futile. Many on this message board cant help themselves but go ape **** when we lose.

First off, it's a message board. People vent here. Then on Sunday, they show up at the game and cheer again. Just let it be.

Yes, our offense and ST stunk yesterday. But sometimes our offense doesn't click, especially without D. Brown and a healthy AJ, and on ST, those are things that can be corrected.

Just to be 100% clear, you're saying that the ST problems can be corrected? Have you watched this ST unit over the past few years? It's going to take a different coach to correct those things.

buddyboy
09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
No make no mistake, I understand teams lose and any given Sunday, yada yada yada. It is the fact that it is the SAME way they lose. It is the same mistakes, same glaring holes that have not been addressed since last year

How many games are they gonna give up big special team plays, How many times am I gonna have to see 4th and 1 and they kick a FG. How many times am I gonna see McCain hold or Jackson not look back for the ball?

It is the same thing every week and it's beyond frustrating.

How short our memories are as fans; we went for a big 4th and 1 just 2 games ago. We also converted another 4th down on the fake punt. Going for it on 4th is a rarity; we've seen it twice already.

Our special teams suck, no one has said otherwise.

Blake
09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
First off, it's a message board. People vent here. Then on Sunday, they show up at the game and cheer again. Just let it be.

Fine, its a message board. But my comment still stands. People cant control their emotions on here.

Just to be 100% clear, you're saying that the ST problems can be corrected? Have you watched this ST unit over the past few years? It's going to take a different coach to correct those things.

That is what I am saying. Yes I have watched the ST unit over the past 10 seasons. They are hot garbage right now. And maybe a new ST coach can do the trick. Its not like we are out classed by talent on our ST squad. We are simply not scheming correctly on both sides of the ST ball.

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Fine, its a message board. But my comment still stands. People cant control their emotions on here.

People choose not to control their emotions on here, because it's a message board. It's a place that specifically exists to vent, for some people.

That is what I am saying. Yes I have watched the ST unit over the past 10 seasons. They are hot garbage right now. And maybe a new ST coach can do the trick. Its not like we are out classed by talent on our ST squad. We are simply not scheming correctly on both sides of the ST ball.

My point is they haven't schemed correctly for quite a while, and judging by that, the ST problems can't actually be corrected, or they would have. I agree with you about talent, so that just leaves coaching. As long as Marciano is the coach, the ST is going to continue to screw up.

Rey
09-23-2013, 02:54 PM
If the team doesn't come out and play better next game that will tell me a lot. Mostly that the team doesn't believe they are as good as some of you think.

Special teams is a direct result of kubiak culture. These guys are relentless machines. They don't have it ingrained in their psyche to seek, destroy and kill. Often times they look reactionary. When they face an opponent making plays they wither like children.

I've seen highschool teams more disciplined on special teams. No body breaks down on the coverage units anymore? That's like football basics.

Dread-Head
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah carr's stats are impressive

Carr's avg

16.35/27 completion/attempts
60.5%
176 yards a game
11.8 td/13ints

Schaub's

21.65/33.275
65%
261 yards a game
19td/10.6 ints

:thinking: So he's MARGINALLY better than David Carr? Carr 2.0? Okay. Wow...Imagine what Carr could have done with an offensive line. Carr (much like Schaub) won't make it into the hall of fame, but the young man can retire from the game of football with two things:

1. A HUGE pile of money he made as Houston's starting QB.

and

2. a bigg-azz stupor bowl ring he got as a BACK UP in New York.

Another commonality is that they're both excellent BACK UP QB's. Carr does a GREAT job backing up Eli just as Schaub did a great job backing up Dog-boy (Michael Vick). They're BOTH back-ups who THINK as back ups. They can win a few games, but at the end of the day both lack the hunger that championship calibre QBs sweat in their sleep. Until you see them on the sidelines analyzing EVERY play of the game the way Tom Brady, Paton Manning and Aaron Rodgers that's all they'll EVER be.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 03:12 PM
:thinking: So he's MARGINALLY better than David Carr? Carr 2.0? Okay. Wow...Imagine what Carr could have done with an offensive line.

Im not sure you have historical persepctive in mind but 4 more completions on average per game, 7.5% higher completion rate, 48% more yards per game, 60% more touchdowns and 19% less INTs per season isnt marginally better

LikeMike
09-23-2013, 03:15 PM
I hate how this season has been going but - I like that we basically only look bad, when we are doing mistakes. Our D is dominant for the most part of the games (how many TDs have they given up?), our receivers can get open and Ben Tate provides a great boost of the bench. What is wrong with our teams are mistakes like:

- missing field goals
- throwing stupid INTs
- missing pass block assignments
- penalties
- dropping INTs

Mistakes can be corrected. We have the talent and we are not playing up to our potential. That is a good thing. We need to figure it out during the season and get hot at the end of the season. Correct those mistakes and we have a super bowl contender - if we don`t correct those mistakes we might even miss the playoffs.

Dread-Head
09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Im not sure you have historical persepctive in mind but 4 more completions on average per game, 7.5% higher completion rate, 48% more yards per game, 60% more touchdowns and 19% less INTs per season isnt marginally better

:thinking: and the interception per game that Schaub throws should be ignored? I'm just sayin'. Sorry I'll admit I've never had any faith in the man and he's yet to do anything to alter my perception of him as a guy who shold be holding a clip board and wearing a baseball cap.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
:thinking: So he's MARGINALLY better than David Carr? Carr 2.0? Okay. Wow...Imagine what Carr could have done with an offensive line. Carr (much like Schaub) won't make it into the hall of fame, but the young man can retire from the game of football with two things:

1. A HUGE pile of money he made as Houston's starting QB.

and

2. a bigg-azz stupor bowl ring he got as a BACK UP in New York.

Another commonality is that they're both excellent BACK UP QB's. Carr does a GREAT job backing up Eli just as Schaub did a great job backing up Dog-boy (Michael Vick). They're BOTH back-ups who THINK as back ups. They can win a few games, but at the end of the day both lack the hunger that championship calibre QBs sweat in their sleep. Until you see them on the sidelines analyzing EVERY play of the game the way Tom Brady, Paton Manning and Aaron Rodgers that's all they'll EVER be.

But i do see schaub giving the schaub eyes on the sidelines sometimes, surely he gets some credit for that :choke:

Dread-Head
09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I hate how this season has been going but - I like that we basically only look bad, when we are doing mistakes. Our D is dominant for the most part of the games (how many TDs have they given up?), our receivers can get open and Ben Tate provides a great boost of the bench. What is wrong with our teams are mistakes like:

- missing field goals

&

- throwing stupid INTs

. Correct those mistakes and we have a super bowl contender - if we don`t correct those mistakes we might even miss the playoffs.

:this:

Coulldn't agree more. The kicker's job is a simple one. There are more than 32 guys on the planet who can kick a football and some of them would LOVE to have one of those 32 jobs.

:thinking: Hmmmm. I wonder whose JOB it is to throw the ball?

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Asking people on this board to calm down is futile. Many on this message board cant help themselves but go ape **** when we lose. People last year would say we need to be playing our best football when the playoffs start. And now we need to be playing our best football the 3rd game of the season. I guess you just simply want super bowl caliber play all freaking year long. No big deal. Just do that, Texans.

Only thing i mean by calm down is with the over reactions. And we all see them after a bad loss. Hell look at baltimores fans after their loss to us last season, and what did the go on to do ? Anyone who is a fan of this team is dissapointed after yesterdays loss, and we all see our glaring weaknesses. But 1 loss dont define a season "usually". We are a good team not matter how bad we played yesterday.

TheMatrix31
09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
The 49ers, Packers, and Falcons are 1-2.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 03:53 PM
:thinking: and the interception per game that Schaub throws should be ignored? I'm just sayin'. Sorry I'll admit I've never had any faith in the man and he's yet to do anything to alter my perception of him as a guy who shold be holding a clip board and wearing a baseball cap.

A couple of those ints have been tipped balls and over time that smooths out a bit as shown he throws about 10 on average a season.

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Only thing i mean by calm down is with the over reactions. And we all see them after a bad loss. Hell look at baltimores fans after their loss to us last season, and what did the go on to do ? Anyone who is a fan of this team is dissapointed after yesterdays loss, and we all see our glaring weaknesses. But 1 loss dont define a season "usually". We are a good team not matter how bad we played yesterday.

Will they be a good team at 2-3 or 2-4?

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Yipeee

What does that have to do with the Texans ineptitude?

I could care less what other teams records are. I do caare about what the Texans record is and their level of play. (which is in the dumpster this season despite their 2-1 record.)

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Yes they will cause they will not be 2-4 ;).

mridge01
09-23-2013, 04:14 PM
This "we should be 0-3" is a bunch of a crap. We made plays to win those games. Oh no, we had to make plays to win a game. It wasn't pretty. Who gives a crap? Teams make plays. That's what happens in the NFL. Good on paper doesn't translate to good on the field.

I think the Texans are proving your point this season.
:swatter:

cstyle42
09-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Yeah but all three of these teams have been somewhere the Texans have never been... SUPER BOWL.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah but all three of these teams have been somewhere the Texans have never been... SUPER BOWL.

1919 Packers
1946 niners
1966 falcons
2002 texans

IlliniJen
09-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I've never been one to hit the panic button and run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, and while I've never made bones that I think neither Kubiak and Schaub are next level guys, I'm THIS CLOSE burning the whole thing down.

We're stuck in neutral and no amount of "it's on me, guys" and battle-fighting is going to make this team a SB contender. They need to blow up the coaching staff and QB position. If this were Back To The Future and we were playing in the 80's, then gosh darn it, we might have a good team, but the NFL has quickly passed coaches like Kubiak up and guys with marginal pocket passing talent are becoming liabilities.

This loss was 2 games in the making, unless people are mistaking our improbably week 1 and 2 wins as talent. They're not. We caught a couple lucky breaks and played hurry up when we had to, so Kubiakpredictability was less of a factor. But c'mon, who can't guess the play calls with 80% accuracy on any normal drive? Who doesn't see Schaub throwing for 4 yards less than what we need on third down all the damn time? This is getting RIDICULOUS, y'all.

cstyle42
09-23-2013, 04:34 PM
1919 Packers
1946 niners
1966 falcons
2002 texans

Repeat... an nfl houston franchise has never been to the super bowl. Ala Houston Oilers. When did the Carolina Panthers start? How long did it take them? Either you get there are you don't we gotta throw away accepting mediocrity in thinking it always has to take time. Texans sell out every game the city deserves more.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 04:52 PM

As long as they finish 11-5 or better.

So if a bonafide good team can be 1-2, it must not be the end of the world if we are 2-1

cstyle42
09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
As long as they finish 11-5 or better.

So if a bonafide good team can be 1-2, it must not be the end of the world if we are 2-1

Lol which one of these teams are playing seattle and san fran next? Out of all these teams who has the worst qb?

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Repeat... an nfl houston franchise has never been to the super bowl. Ala Houston Oilers. When did the Carolina Panthers start? How long did it take them? Either you get there are you don't we gotta throw away accepting mediocrity in thinking it always has to take time. Texans sell out every game the city deserves more.

Oh the titans don't count because they weren't in houston at the time even though they had the same owner but it was the city right? And the panthers were far from normal but they do have 4 trips to the playoffs in about double the time of the texans

perspective and reality are missing here you or the city don't "deserve" more

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Lol which one of these teams are playing seattle and san fran next? Out of all these teams who has the worst qb?

If we win both games will you proclaim Schaub to be a great QB?

DX-TEX
09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
If we win both games will you proclaim Schaub to be a great QB?

Niners game at this moment means nothing. To prove people wrong they NEED a dominating win at home this week. Not some 21-17 garbage but like a 46-10 ass whoopin.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Niners game at this moment means nothing. To prove people wrong they NEED a dominating win at home this week. Not some 21-17 garbage but like a 46-10 ass whoopin.

No offense, but that reply was to cstyle's goofy argument. It wasn't supposed to make sense.

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
1919 Packers
1946 niners
1966 falcons
2002 texans

Excuses!!!!!

Denver/SF/Sea./Colts/Packers/Falcons/Chiefs have all had worse records in the last 5 yrs than the Texans and they've either surpassed or are on the verge of surpassing the Texans.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Excuses!!!!!

Denver/SF/Sea./Colts/Packers/Falcons/Chiefs have all had worse records in the last 5 yrs than the Texans and they've either surpassed or are on the verge of surpassing the Texans.

Excuses? No just reality if you've been around 2, 20 or 50 times longer you simply have had more chances to make it to the dance

cstyle42
09-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Oh the titans don't count because they weren't in houston at the time even though they had the same owner but it was the city right? And the panthers were far from normal but they do have 4 trips to the playoffs in about double the time of the texans

perspective and reality are missing here you or the city don't "deserve" more

Reality is like I said a houston nfl franchise has not made it to the super bowl. Add up the years houston has had an nfl team. Carolina and JACKSONVILLE got to the afc and nfc chamoionship games their second year of existing. Carolina later made it to the super bowl in 2004 right here in Houston. Heck it took the texans 5 years to cut a quarterback no other nfl team would start. There is no excuses.

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Reality is like I said a houston nfl franchise has not made it to the super bowl. Add up the years houston has had an nfl team. Carolina and JACKSONVILLE got to the afc and nfc chamoionship games their second year of existing. Carolina later made it to the super bowl in 2004 right here in Houston. Heck it took the texans 5 years to cut a quarterback no other nfl team would start. There is no excuses.

History is a b****

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 07:10 PM

So explain to me how the city factors into the equation? Or are you just coming up with random sh!t that doesn't actually mean anything?

kingtexan
09-23-2013, 07:12 PM
So explain to me how the city factors into the equation? Or are you just coming up with random sh!t that doesn't actually mean anything?

I vote for option B ...

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 07:18 PM
It appears the Texans are what they've always been.

A successful marketing organization with a football division.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 07:35 PM
It appears the Texans are what they've always been.

A successful marketing organization with a football division.

I think years of pent up frustration are coming out of you and others like a teen masterbating for the first time. The last two seasons including the post season they are 24-12 26-13 if you count this year. So you tell me has this team always been a .667 team? Have they always gone to the playoffs?

silvrhand
09-23-2013, 08:02 PM
F it after watching Terrell Pryor, trade Matt for him.. At least he looks like a bright spot.

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 08:08 PM
F it after watching Terrell Pryor, trade Matt for him.. At least he looks like a bright spot.

2/5 for 8 yards or 1.8 ypa yeah

silvrhand
09-23-2013, 08:14 PM
2/5 for 8 yards or 1.8 ypa yeah

With two drops by his receivers, god I wish people would quit spewing stats without actually watching the game.

one drop was a beautiful over the top pass, right in his hands.
good movement in the pocket when he has 0 pass protection.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 08:28 PM
With two drops by his receivers, god I wish people would quit spewing stats without actually watching the game.

So the Raiders are going to be 3-0 after the game? 2-1?

Or 1-2?

2012Champs
09-23-2013, 08:36 PM

Same could be said for texans fans and their critical opinions

gafftop
09-24-2013, 07:19 AM
This has happened BEFORE in 2009. For those NEW to board and Texans you may not understand why some of us are so tired of MS. Matt is Matt and nothing will change except his physical skills getting worse.
Please see below. Try to learn from the past

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1252940#post1252940

dalemurphy
09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
This has happened BEFORE in 2009. For those NEW to board and Texans you may not understand why some of us are so tired of MS. Matt is Matt and nothing will change except his physical skills getting worse.
Please see below. Try to learn from the past

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1252940#post1252940

2009? You mean the season when schaub carried the texans, throwing for4770 yards.. 4 game winning drives.. Leading the NFL in yards per attempt . All without a running game. That is why you are tired of Matt schaub?

silvrhand
09-24-2013, 08:18 AM
2009? You mean the season when schaub carried the texans, throwing for4770 yards.. 4 game winning drives.. Leading the NFL in yards per attempt . All without a running game. That is why you are tired of Matt schaub?

No doubt he had a great year that year, after that though it was all downhill...

gafftop
09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I wish we had the 2009 MS now also. The 2009 MS was much more mobile than what we have now. I still think he has not recovered and may never recover to be what he was before. I think it effects not only his mobility but his whole throwing motion. Part of that is just aging. I am saying with less protection MS is going to have a hard time.

dalemurphy
09-24-2013, 09:06 AM
No doubt he had a great year that year, after that though it was all downhill...

He was excellent in 2010 also... And, let us remember how we'll he was playing in 2011 before fat Albert... Let us see how it plays out. I think schaub looks healthy. He just had a bad game vs Baltimore.

buddyboy
09-24-2013, 09:07 AM

What I'm hearing is "I'd rather be Jacksonville".

Corrosion
09-24-2013, 09:18 AM
What I'm hearing is "I'd rather be Jacksonville".

Hey they'll likely end up with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft and get their choice of the top QB prospects .... which could change the fortunes of their franchise for the next decade. Just look at the Dolts .... First Manning and now Luck ?!

I wouldn't mind having my choice of Tajh Boyd , Teddy Bridgewater , AJ McCarron or Johnny Football ....

silvrhand
09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
He was excellent in 2010 also... And, let us remember how we'll he was playing in 2011 before fat Albert... Let us see how it plays out. I think schaub looks healthy. He just had a bad game vs Baltimore.

Dale, I was on this bus thinkinkg Matt has finally got the monkey off his back on the chargers game.. but the last two games have been I complete )(*@#$#) show, wish I had more time to go back and spend time on nfl rewind but I just dont' have time. I don't see how he's going backwards so bad all of a sudden.

He's not passing my eye test right now, I know people want to point as his stats but they are just not converting on 3rd down, and some of it is definitely Kubiak with his conservative calling, but also some of it is definitely Schaub.

buddyboy
09-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey they'll likely end up with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft and get their choice of the top QB prospects .... which could change the fortunes of their franchise for the next decade. Just look at the Dolts .... First Manning and now Luck ?!

I wouldn't mind having my choice of Tajh Boyd , Teddy Bridgewater , AJ McCarron or Johnny Football ....

Okay, say it. Say you'd rather be the laughingstock of the NFL. I'm sure we've all forgotten the pain of 2-14 (or at least, time has dulled it), but I'm pretty sure I'll take a good team with flaws who's likely playoff bound over not caring about the actual game and hoping and praying to be good 2-3 years down the road.

Vinny
09-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Okay, say it. Say you'd rather be the laughingstock of the NFL. I'm sure we've all forgotten the pain of 2-14 (or at least, time has dulled it), but I'm pretty sure I'll take a good team with flaws who's likely playoff bound over not caring about the actual game and hoping and praying to be good 2-3 years down the road.
building or rebuilding carries optimism and hope. I don't find that too painful. Watching some team that can only beat bad teams with an inability to beat top teams and knowing your QB is never going to reach the next level is equally painful. Either way we take what we are served since we are just fans and have no control. I just hope this doesn't become a long season.

buddyboy
09-24-2013, 09:53 AM
building or rebuilding carries optimism and hope. I don't find that too painful. Watching some team that can only beat bad teams with an inability to beat top teams and knowing your QB is never going to reach the next level is equally painful. Either way we take what we are served since we are just fans and have no control. I just hope this doesn't become a long season.

I hear you playing devil's advocate, but not actually saying you want to be old Saints, the current Jags, or the Orlovsky led Lions.

Maybe you've been blessed with a crystal ball, but I don't claim to KNOW for sure that we're destined for falling short. Maybe there's some optimism and hope in that that people are missing because they're just so damned sure that their take is "reality". The "reality" is that there's still a lot of football to be played this season and that nearly anything can happen in the NFL.

disaacks3
09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Dale, I was on this bus thinkinkg Matt has finally got the monkey off his back on the chargers game. Me as well. Schaub was on fire the 2nd half, and was actually better under pressure (read out of the pocket) that game. I was hoping to build on that, but it hasn't happened.

thunderkyss
09-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Me as well. Schaub was on fire the 2nd half, and was actually better under pressure (read out of the pocket) that game. I was hoping to build on that, but it hasn't happened.

He usually plays well when we are in that mode.

With the receivers we've got now... from the WRs, to the TEs, to the RBs.... I think we need to focus on getting Matt into a rhythm, starting with the 3 & 4 WR sets. After we get Matt started, we can start feeding Arian the ball.

That's the way I remember the Colts & the greatest show on turf doing it. They threw the ball to get a lead, then ran it down the opponents throats.

Corrosion
09-24-2013, 01:01 PM
He usually plays well when we are in that mode.

With the receivers we've got now... from the WRs, to the TEs, to the RBs.... I think we need to focus on getting Matt into a rhythm, starting with the 3 & 4 WR sets. After we get Matt started, we can start feeding Arian the ball.

That's the way I remember the Colts & the greatest show on turf doing it. They threw the ball to get a lead, then ran it down the opponents throats.

Um that was the Rams ?!

thunderkyss
09-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Um that was the Rams ?!

Um yeah. I meant the Colts & the Rams.

Not the Colts, the Greatest show on turf.

gafftop
09-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Dale,

I agree that Matt is much better than now Matt. But even then the writing was on the wall. That year we won 2 games against teams with winning records and one of those was the last game against the Pats who had already secured their spot in playoffs. When you play good teams the pocket is not always going to be clean and plays must be made. I do not feel Matt has that ability and in my opinion he has lost some of that ability since the injury. Matt is Matt. I do think their best chance was 2011. We don't have that OL and we don't have that Matt. I think we learn more during Sunday's game.

Corrosion
09-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Dale,

I agree that Matt is much better than now Matt. But even then the writing was on the wall. That year we won 2 games against teams with winning records and one of those was the last game against the Pats who had already secured their spot in playoffs. When you play good teams the pocket is not always going to be clean and plays must be made. I do not feel Matt has that ability and in my opinion he has lost some of that ability since the injury. Matt is Matt. I do think there best chance was 2011. We don't have that OL and we don't have that Matt. I think we learn more during Sunday's game.

Yeah , Matt isn't the same guy he was pre-lisfranc , that much is pretty obvious.
CND told us that the more he played , the worse it would get and over the course of last season I think he was proven correct.

Take a look at the last 5 games of last year and the first three of this one and over that 8 game span .... Schaub hasn't been right.

What I believe is that its affected his already poor mobility and below average arm strength .... he could compensate for those issues pre-injury but that's just not the case any longer.
Add to that the fact that he's not read defenses nearly as well , why I'm not sure but three picks in three games , two of which are pick six's and they third may as well have been.
That's just poor decision making , not what we have come to expect from Schaub in general as he usually limits mistakes.
Reading defenses and limiting mistakes were his strengths .... Now he's hurting the team and is lacking physically too.

I hope the guy turns it around but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him doing that as the OL just isn't as good as its been in the past either .... and the offense being designed to keep him clean in the pocket just isn't capable of doing that on a regular basis.

dalemurphy
09-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Yeah , Matt isn't the same guy he was pre-lisfranc , that much is pretty obvious.
CND told us that the more he played , the worse it would get and over the course of last season I think he was proven correct.

Take a look at the last 5 games of last year and the first three of this one and over that 8 game span .... Schaub hasn't been right.

What I believe is that its affected his already poor mobility and below average arm strength .... he could compensate for those issues pre-injury but that's just not the case any longer.
Add to that the fact that he's not read defenses nearly as well , why I'm not sure but three picks in three games , two of which are pick six's and they third may as well have been.
That's just poor decision making , not what we have come to expect from Schaub in general as he usually limits mistakes.
Reading defenses and limiting mistakes were his strengths .... Now he's hurting the team and is lacking physically too.

I hope the guy turns it around but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him doing that as the OL just isn't as good as its been in the past either .... and the offense being designed to keep him clean in the pocket just isn't capable of doing that on a regular basis.

I see the opposite, though I agree with your conclusions about 2012, as well as your criticisms about this year's decision-making.

I am excited about the season for the exact reasons that you are worried: Schaub's physicality this year. From what I see, he is moving better than he has in 4 years and is taking hits better than I have ever seen him... Let's hope that what I think I am seeing is correct. The next two weeks should reveal a lot about the entire team's toughness and physicality- Schaub's included.

If he gets through these next two games physically, regardless of the offense's performance, we should then see a stretch of some of the best Texans offense in our history (if I am right about Schaub this year).

cstyle42
09-25-2013, 09:24 AM

I'm simply calling the business of nfl football in this city a good ol boy system. The system keeps certain liked players and coaches in positions that they haven't proved they still deserve. This is the biggest reason a Houston nfl football team has never reached the super bowl. It is currently happening right now with Schaub and Kubiak.

Corrosion
09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I see the opposite, though I agree with your conclusions about 2012, as well as your criticisms about this year's decision-making.

I am excited about the season for the exact reasons that you are worried: Schaub's physicality this year. From what I see, he is moving better than he has in 4 years and is taking hits better than I have ever seen him... Let's hope that what I think I am seeing is correct. The next two weeks should reveal a lot about the entire team's toughness and physicality- Schaub's included.

If he gets through these next two games physically, regardless of the offense's performance, we should then see a stretch of some of the best Texans offense in our history (if I am right about Schaub this year).

I saw that same thing for a half against the Chargers , didn't see it against the Tinbreds or the Ravens. That adds to my concern of the lisfranc injury being degenerative over time as Doc put it. He was healthy week one and seems to have dropped off in the two subsequent weeks.

Ive yet to see Doc give us bad information ....

dalemurphy
09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I saw that same thing for a half against the Chargers , didn't see it against the Tinbreds or the Ravens. That adds to my concern of the lisfranc injury being degenerative over time as Doc put it. He was healthy week one and seems to have dropped off in the two subsequent weeks.

Ive yet to see Doc give us bad information ....

I haven't re-watched the Raven game yet. Though the Titan game was not pretty offensively, if you re-watch it on NFL rewind (using the coaches film), I think you will see that Schaub took some shots and they had little effect on him. I think you will also see how well he moved and, what was exposed that game was our protection scheme- not declining skills of the QB.

Blake
09-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Whatever! Matt Schaub has unleashed his speed.

http://content.academy.com/vendor/nike/schaub.jpg

bOODRO87
09-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Haha, I bet there were some chuckles during the making of that.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I've noticed when Schaub is rattled he starts throwing off his back foot. He begins the game throwing decent, but once he starts getting hit his throws are either high or just off target.

Maybe he gets Carr-ed after getting hit a few times?

steelbtexan
09-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I've noticed when Schaub is rattled he starts throwing off his back foot. He begins the game throwing decent, but once he starts getting hit his throws are either high or just off target.

The foot gets progressively worse thoughout the games/season.

Read C-N-D's posts and you can disagree with him. But go back and check out the film of Matt's accuracy and movement skills in the 2009-2010 seasons compared to todays. It will be a real eye opener.

Matt has lost it and according to C-N-D this type of injury gets worse with time. For this reason Schaub would be a great backup. (Being able to rest the foot properly) But is no longer starting material.

Whoever decided it would be a good idea to extend Matt's contract should be fired. But that would be called being held accountable, and BoB never holds anybody on the football side of his org accountable.

DX-TEX
09-25-2013, 11:17 AM
After a few days of soul searching and questioning my team I have one conclusion:

I will not accept average. Screw 8-8, 9-7 etc....I want a magical turn around like 14-2 or a massive let down like 6-10. I just want to be entertained dammit!

thunderkyss
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I haven't re-watched the Raven game yet. Though the Titan game was not pretty offensively, if you re-watch it on NFL rewind (using the coaches film), I think you will see that Schaub took some shots and they had little effect on him. I think you will also see how well he moved and, what was exposed that game was our protection scheme- not declining skills of the QB.

I've watched the first half & physically, he looks good. For the minute before the end of the half, he looked excellent both physically & in his play.

However, there was one sack he took, we ended up being 3rd & 17 & we ran the draw. I'm surprised that he didn't chunk it then, because that was the situation he threw it against Tennessee & San Diego.... so I was thinking maybe that one got to him, that sack.

As far as reading the defense, I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. The one tip ball that was intercepted, I don't think that's a poor job of reading defenses. He's had balls batted down often. The pick 6 vs Tennessee, that's him & a new receiver not jiving. He's throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break. The one against Baltimore... normally he would put that ball on the receivers back hip. Had he done that here it would have been an incompletion at worst.

However, we're looking at a very small sample size. I think he's been better than he's been awful & his numbers will balance to his norms by the end of the season.

I'm not seeing any ill effect from the Lisfranc & his loosing weight seems to have helped him quite a bit.

dalemurphy
09-25-2013, 01:12 PM

First, I have seen Schaub rattled and am not arguing that it doesn't happen.

However, I do not believe throwing off the back foot for Schaub is an indication that he's rattled. It is an indication that he's dealing with pressure up the middle. His greatest mechanical flaw, IMO, is that he has a long stride. When he expects pressure up the middle, he often doesn't stride when he throws- and is on his back foot. Certainly, it is often games when he is facing interior pressure that he throws off his back foot. However, I have seen him rattled and not throwing off the back foot and have seen him not rattled and throwing off of it... just something to mention because I do not believe he has been rattled this year.

ObsiWan
09-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Whoever decided it would be a good idea to extend Matt's contract should be fired. But that would be called being held accountable, and BoB never holds anybody on the football side of his org accountable.

Uncle Bob himself co-signed keeping Schaub (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/01/mcclain-qa-with-bob-mcnair/). Can't fire him.

Q: You gave Matt Schaub a five-year, $66-million extension. Do you have any regrets?
A: Not at all. There are a lot of clubs that would love to have him. He had a good year. He’s got to step up his game when we get on the big stage. There’s no room for mental errors. He knows that. We have confidence in him.

Q: Do you think Schaub is getting too much of the criticism for your collapse at the end of the season and the loss at New England, where you trailed 38-13?
A: It goes with the territory. It’s not just Matt. But he’s the leader of the offense and the team, and everybody focuses on what he’s doing. He didn’t drop a pass in the end zone or miss a block on a running play or give up a touchdown pass. But we can’t get where we want to go unless Matt and the offense and defense and special teams step up their game.

Q: What has convinced you that Schaub is the quarterback to help you reach your goal of winning a Super Bowl?
A: Nobody wins it by himself. I think his ability and the job he does are more than adequate. We have to surround him with tools. His arm’s strong enough. He can make the throws. He’s not the kind of quarterback to take a mediocre team on his shoulders and carry them all the way. We give him good receivers and good pass protection. The thing we really need to do that we didn’t do as well last season is to get our running game going better. So much of what we do is based on our running game.

Be mad at the right guy. And that's Bob McNair.

Now having said that, I think Schaub is on a shorter leash than everyone thinks. Those pick-six's Schaub has thrown in just three games have definitely not gone un-noticed by the man who signs his checks.

Uncle Bob stepped in and hired Wade. He stepped in and had them pursue Lechter and very likely Ed Reed. So let Schaub keep making "mental errors" and cause us to miss the playoffs; my money says Schaub'll hit the road with kindly ole Uncle Bob's foot up his butt.

steelbtexan
09-25-2013, 06:20 PM
I've watched the first half & physically, he looks good. For the minute before the end of the half, he looked excellent both physically & in his play.

However, there was one sack he took, we ended up being 3rd & 17 & we ran the draw. I'm surprised that he didn't chunk it then, because that was the situation he threw it against Tennessee & San Diego.... so I was thinking maybe that one got to him, that sack.

As far as reading the defense, I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. The one tip ball that was intercepted, I don't think that's a poor job of reading defenses. He's had balls batted down often. The pick 6 vs Tennessee, that's him & a new receiver not jiving. He's throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break. The one against Baltimore... normally he would put that ball on the receivers back hip. Had he done that here it would have been an incompletion at worst.

However, we're looking at a very small sample size. I think he's been better than he's been awful & his numbers will balance to his norms by the end of the season.

I'm not seeing any ill effect from the Lisfranc & his loosing weight seems to have helped him quite a bit.

Check out his 2009-2010 tape, compare it to 2012-2013 and get back to me.

steelbtexan
09-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Uncle Bob himself co-signed keeping Schaub (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/01/mcclain-qa-with-bob-mcnair/). Can't fire him.

Be mad at the right guy. And that's Bob McNair.

Now having said that, I think Schaub is on a shorter leash than everyone thinks. Those pick-six's Schaub has thrown in just three games have definitely not gone un-noticed by the man who signs his checks.

Uncle Bob stepped in and hired Wade. He stepped in and had them pursue Lechter and very likely Ed Reed. So let Schaub keep making "mental errors" and cause us to miss the playoffs; my money says Schaub'll hit the road with kindly ole Uncle Bob's foot up his butt.

I'm plenty mad at McNair, his #1 goal certainly is not winning a SB. If it was Coach Joe would've been fired yrs ago. Instead he tries to fix the ST's problem by throwing $$$$ at Lechler and drafting Fat Randy. Guess what, the ST's still stink.

BoB has never put his foot up anybody's butt in the on the field side of his business operation since he's owned the tem and I dont expect that to change anytime soon. Now the marketing side is another story. They fear for their jobs.

Bottom line is the Texans org has taken on the personality of its owner. (Good ole boy, nothing too traumatic) No wonder mediocrity is not only accepted but seem to be championed when it comes to the on the field product, oterwise changes would've been made long ago. (Coach Joe Must Go)

ObsiWan
09-25-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm plenty mad at McNair, his #1 goal certainly is not winning a SB. If it was Coach Joe would've been fired yrs ago. Instead he tries to fix the ST's problem by throwing $$$$ at Lechler and drafting Fat Randy. Guess what, the ST's still stink.

BoB has never put his foot up anybody's butt in the on the field side of his business operation since he's owned the tem and I dont expect that to change anytime soon. Now the marketing side is another story. They fear for their jobs.

Even you have to admit Lechler was a pretty good get. Why Coach Joe is still here only McNair knows that.

As Bob has grown as an owner we've seen him step in time and again. Acquiring Wade, Lechler, Reed.
Letting his hand-picked QB, David hit the streets. Easing Jacoby Jones out of town without a lot of fuss from the Texans. Letting D-Rob go when he got too big for his britches. Some of you are thinking, "Well, Rick Smith made those moves..."
Maybe.
I'm of the opinion (and I have little to go on but reading between the lines), that nothing of significance happens over there on Kirby Drive without McNair's sign off.
The Buck stops with him.

steelbtexan
09-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Even you have to admit Lechler was a pretty good get. Why Coach Joe is still here only McNair knows that.

As Bob has grown as an owner we've seen him step in time and again. Acquiring Wade, Lechler, Reed.
Letting his hand-picked QB, David hit the streets. Easing Jacoby Jones out of town without a lot of fuss from the Texans. Letting D-Rob go when he got too big for his britches. Some of you are thinking, "Well, Rick Smith made those moves..."
Maybe.
I'm of the opinion (and I have little to go on but reading between the lines), that nothing of significance happens over there on Kirby Drive without McNair's sign off.
The Buck stops with him.

Loved the Lechler signing, why legit competition wasn't brought in to compete with Fat Randy reeks of the good ole boy system that's at the root of the problem. If BoB is signing off on this than this makes me question BoB's commitment to putting the best product on the field as possible.

eriadoc
09-25-2013, 10:25 PM
The Buck stops with him.

So you're blaming McNair for the Ed Reed debacle.

:stirpot:

cuppacoffee
09-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Calm down? Did you say calm down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Nitrofish
09-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Some things never change on this board with some fans. When the Texans win it is everyone else but Schaub and Kubiak who were responsible for the win, and when they lose, it's only their fault.

Having said that, I personally think play calling had more to do with this loss than anything else. The first drive was what we all recognize as our team. But once we got in the RZ everything changed and they never took a shot at the end zone even though we all know we had the advantage with our TE's over their LB's.

In the end there is plenty of blame to go around, and you win together as well as lose together. Over reacting to one loss 3 weeks into the season is typical of some in this fan base, but I for one would rather see them start slow and finish strong for once.

The sky is NOT falling, and Schaub and Kubiak are not the worst in the league. And whoever said they would rather have T. Pryor over Schaub needs to step away from the cliff.

BullNation4Life
09-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Yes they are but here is the difference between the Niners, Packers and Falcons even at 1-2 that the Texans at 2-1, those teams have head coaches who will find a way to win. The will get creative with play calling and do things differently than that which is not working.

Kubiak WILL NOT do this! If he is down 17, he still runs the ball. He is down 24, still runs the ball. Why, A: Stubborn and B: he does not believe in his QB, as much as he think he does, and yet Schaub was HIS guy.

those other teams will start winning. When the Texans have their annual 3 game losing streak this year, see if anything changes to snap that streak...

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes they are but here is the difference between the Niners, Packers and Falcons even at 1-2 that the Texans at 2-1, those teams have head coaches who will find a way to win. The will get creative with play calling and do things differently than that which is not working.

Kubiak WILL NOT do this! If he is down 17, he still runs the ball. He is down 24, still runs the ball. Why, A: Stubborn and B: he does not believe in his QB, as much as he think he does, and yet Schaub was HIS guy.

those other teams will start winning. When the Texans have their annual 3 game losing streak this year, see if anything changes to snap that streak...

Consider the disaster Kubiak took over in 2006... You do realize his record is well 50%, right?

Regarding his stubbornness running the ball down 17 or 24, I suggest you re-watch any of the games this year and you will see that is simply not the case. In each game, they became very pass-happy once they trailed by multiple scores. You are making things up.

I am sorry the Texans have been among the 6 or 8 best teams the past few seasons but not among the top 3 or 4... I'm not sure what can be done about that. Let the season play out. The Texans did win 25 games the past two seasons despite some difficult circumstances. I'm not sure why a 2-1 start on the heels of those seasons should create panic.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:06 AM

VS. San Diego, Here is the pass to run breakdown once the Texans were trailing 21-7 until they tied the game at 28:

Pass plays = 25
Run plays = 6
Fake punt= 1

silvrhand
09-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Consider the disaster Kubiak took over in 2006... You do realize his record is well 50%, right?

Regarding his stubbornness running the ball down 17 or 24, I suggest you re-watch any of the games this year and you will see that is simply not the case. In each game, they became very pass-happy once they trailed by multiple scores. You are making things up.

I am sorry the Texans have been among the 6 or 8 best teams the past few seasons but not among the top 3 or 4... I'm not sure what can be done about that. Let the season play out. The Texans did win 25 games the past two seasons despite some difficult circumstances. I'm not sure why a 2-1 start on the heels of those seasons should create panic.

He did go complete Conserviak in the first half of the Ravens game, on two 3rd and longs I know he ran the famous draw. Basically giving up and punting to the defense when we could have been more aggressive which came back and bit us when we only had 6 points.

I'm not sure why he's not doing the more up tempo, spread the offense that the rest of the league is moving to. It's almost impossible to get a hit on a receiver and not get flagged, so might as well pitch and catch and run once they move out the box.

Vinny
09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Harbaugh's 9ers were a disaster along with us (remember the Reggie Bush bowl?) but they were in the SB last year right? 50% ain't bad if you like mediocre.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
He did go complete Conserviak in the first half of the Ravens game, on two 3rd and longs I know he ran the famous draw. Basically giving up and punting to the defense when we could have been more aggressive which came back and bit us when we only had 6 points.

I'm not sure why he's not doing the more up tempo, spread the offense that the rest of the league is moving to. It's almost impossible to get a hit on a receiver and not get flagged, so might as well pitch and catch and run once they move out the box.

Yes, that was the game plan for Baltimore, in Baltimore, without Duane Brown. Ill advised? I'm not sure... The special team gaffe and the interception destroyed the plan... I know he sometimes has conservative game plans. I wouldn't argue with that. BullNation specifically argued that he does not adjust when the team is trailing by passing the ball more- blaming Kubiak's stubbornness and lack of trust in Schaub. Clearly, that is simply untrue.

Thorn
09-26-2013, 10:13 AM
The fact is, some of us (and that includes me) will never calm down until we see a Houston NFL team bring home a Super Bowl trophy.

Rey
09-26-2013, 10:15 AM

It just sounds like your standards are lower than some other peoples. There's nothing wrong with that, but if people want to ***** at the team because they expect more than you do, they have every right to do so.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Harbaugh's 9ers were a disaster along with us (remember the Reggie Bush bowl?) but they were in the SB last year right? 50% ain't bad if you like mediocre.

Harbaugh is a great coach. No doubt. In 2010, when it looked like Kubiak would be fired, I was on this board saying that I wanted Harbaugh... TexansChick actually gave me a hard time about it, because she wanted nothing to do with a college coach.

That being said, we all know that the 49ers had a much better talent base and cap situation when Harbaugh arrived than Kubiak had when he arrived. What I see now is not mediocrity from the Texan organization. I think they are set up to have an extended run of success...

Do I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Kubiak? Probably so. Certainly he was better faster. But, that's a moot point. Harbaugh is not available.

steelbtexan
09-26-2013, 10:18 AM

Speaking of this, I dont know how to make a poll, maybe somebody can make one,

How many more yrs will Gary be the HC before BoB realizes that he cant win a SB with Rick/Gary? If BoB really even cares about winning a SB?

Gary will have been the Texans HC

8 yrs
10 yrs
15 yrs
20 yrs

Gary gets to be HC for the rest of BoB's life

Vinny
09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Harbaugh is a great coach. No doubt. In 2010, when it looked like Kubiak would be fired, I was on this board saying that I wanted Harbaugh... TexansChick actually gave me a hard time about it, because she wanted nothing to do with a college coach.

That being said, we all know that the 49ers had a much better talent base and cap situation when Harbaugh arrived than Kubiak had when he arrived. What I see now is not mediocrity from the Texan organization. I think they are set up to have an extended run of success...

Do I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Kubiak? Probably so. Certainly he was better faster. But, that's a moot point. Harbaugh is not available.

9ers were awful for a long time just like we were and Harbaugh drafted his current QB because Alex Smith was mediocre. Harbaugh invested heavily in offensive linemen as well. Would our current Head Coach have replaced Alex Smith in the same scenario? I doubt it.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:20 AM
It just sounds like your standards are lower than some other peoples. There's nothing wrong with that, but if people want to ***** at the team because they expect more than you do, they have every right to so so.

My standards aren't lower. My attitude is better. I want the team to be great and to win championships. Whining that there are a few coaches and organizations that are better means nothing. What is the solution? Complaining that Schaub is not Tom Brady accomplishes nothing. What can be done about that?

The same critics of Kubiak now are also the ones who mocked and heckled when I claimed I would much rather have Kubiak than Rex Ryan as head coach. Ryan had some quick success and everyone resented the Texans didn't... Not only resented it but blamed Kubiak. Where are those people now? Ryan will be available after the season. Speak now: who wants Sexy Rexy to replace Kubiak after this season. Go on record!

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Where would the offense have been in the last three games..............if we didn't have Lechler?.............we might want to think about that.

Vinny
09-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Where would the offense have been in the last three games..............if we didn't have Lechler?.............we might want to think about that.great, we've turned into the Raiders....with less speed.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Speaking of this, I dont know how to make a poll, maybe somebody can make one,

How many more yrs will Gary be the HC before BoB realizes that he cant win a SB with Rick/Gary? If BoB really even cares about winning a SB?

Gary will have been the Texans HC

8 yrs
10 yrs
15 yrs
20 yrs

Gary gets to be HC for the rest of BoB's life

"cant win" a Superbowl is bogus. There are 32 organizations, and hundreds of variables that contribute to the Superbowl champ each year. Since Marty Schottenheimer didn't win a superbowl, does that mean he wasn't a good enough coach to do so? I guess that means Brian Billick and Barry Switzer were better coaches than Schottenheimer, Marv Levy, Parcells (without Bellicheck), Bud Grant, etc...

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
The fact is, some of us (and that includes me) will never calm down until we see a Houston NFL team bring home a Super Bowl trophy.

Yes, but what does the history of the Oilers have to do with the current organization? Frustration is understandable- but why should it color your analysis of what is currently taking place?

cstyle42
09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Yes, but what does the history of the Oilers have to do with the current organization? Frustration is understandable- but why should it color your analysis of what is currently taking place?

Because this team has adopted the same mentality and way of winning/losing as the houston oilers.

Thorn
09-26-2013, 10:39 AM

It doesn't matter if it's the Oilers or the Texans or some future NFL team called the Houston Bull$hitters, I want a super bowl trophy and won't stop bitching about it until I get it.

Vinny
09-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Because this team has adopted the same mentality and way of winning/losing as the houston oilers.
Bud Adams and the Oilers were much more aggressive and did make big pushes for winning it all. Bud won two AFL Championships with Charley Hennigan and George Blanda, won a bidding war with the NFL for Heisman winner Billy Cannon before the dark years of the early 70's...but after that Bud always made big moves to make legit runs at the SB. Sometimes it feels like we just want to be "good" around here. After the "dark years" and hiring Sid Gillman (that was a HUGE deal back in the day), the huge trade for Earl Campbell, historic contract for Warren Moon, going after Buddy Ryan, trading for Wilbur Marshall...I could go on and on. The Oilers just felt more aggressive.

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Having said that, I personally think play calling had more to do with this loss than anything else. The first drive was what we all recognize as our team. But once we got in the RZ everything changed and they never took a shot at the end zone even though we all know we had the advantage with our TE's over their LB's.

While play calling was an issue (that 4th & 2 play was asinine, even if it worked I'd question their choice).

I watched the second half yesterday. Lots of Hopkins, Martin, Posey combinations which is one of the reasons I'm optimistic about our future. There were a couple of dropped balls & penalties that erased good plays.

That's just a tough place to play & we didn't handle it well. Had Andre played, our chances of pulling out that W would have been better.

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 11:04 AM

:spit:

Maybe it's just me, but my side is hurt'n after reading this.

Their coaches didn't find a way to win in two of three games, but you're sure they will "get creative" & "find a way to win"

Kubiak came from behind to get two out of three victories, but he's too stubborn to change.

I think I know what you're saying... but it's just funny the way you put it.

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Uh..... we were the 4th best team (http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league&season=2012-REG) in the league last year. We lost 3 games there at the end, the other 28 teams lost their games early. But we were the 4th best team in the league.

We might not have been in a conference championship game last year, but.. I don't think the best team in the league won the Super Bowl. We underachieved, Denver under achieved.

I think either San Francisco or Denver was the best team of 2012.... both underachieved.

Not to take anything away from the Ravens. They earned their title, because they beat the two best teams in the league. Miami beat Atlanta Sunday, but they are not the better team.

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 11:18 AM
9ers were awful for a long time just like we were and Harbaugh drafted his current QB because Alex Smith was mediocre. Harbaugh invested heavily in offensive linemen as well. Would our current Head Coach have replaced Alex Smith in the same scenario? I doubt it.

I think the 49ers are a good comparison to the Texans at that time. Not a perfect comparison, but a very good one. The difference between the two teams though, is that Mike Nolan did a better job..... a much better job than Capers.

Or whoever was getting the players & establishing a winning culture (Singletary) did a better job than Capers & Casserly.

But yes, Harbaugh did much better than Kubiak. In 2011 Harbaugh had a team good enough to get to the NFC Championship game. In 2011, we thought we had a team good enough to be in the AFC Championship game.

Harbaugh followed up with a Super Bowl appearance, we got our butts kicked in the divisionals.

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 11:23 AM

I don't understand it.

In 2006 we (most of us on the board at that time) said we'd be happy if we were a perennial play-off team with a real shot to win it all every now & again.

That's what we got.

I'm very happy, damitt if my expectations are low...... I think they're reasonable.

Every Sunday, whether I'm watching on the tube or sitting in Reliant I expect to see a good product on the field. The Texans have rarely let me down in the last two years. Heck, even in 2010 we lost a lot of games, but those were some entertaining mofos. I enjoyed every minute of them (felt like crap after most) but loved every minute of every game.

I'm looking forward to watching the SeaChickens get fricaseed come Sunday.

Insideop
09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Uh..... we were the 4th best team (http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league&season=2012-REG) in the league last year. We lost 3 games there at the end, the other 28 teams lost their games early. But we were the 4th best team in the league.

We might not have been in a conference championship game last year, but.. I don't think the best team in the league won the Super Bowl. We underachieved, Denver under achieved.

I think either San Francisco or Denver was the best team of 2012.... both underachieved.

Not to take anything away from the Ravens. They earned their title, because they beat the two best teams in the league. Miami beat Atlanta Sunday, but they are not the better team.

And this says it all, the Ravens got hot when it counted and won the title. Remember, the Texans beat the Ravens at Reliant pretty bad early last year and the Ravens barely made the playoffs. I don't think anyone thought they had much chance to get to the SB, much less win it. But they did!

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
And this says it all, the Ravens got hot when it counted and won the title. Remember, the Texans beat the Ravens at Reliant pretty bad early last year and the Ravens barely made the playoffs. I don't think anyone thought they had much chance to get to the SB, much less win it. But they did!

Just like us, if the Ravens lost one more game, they would have not won their division, but still been a wild card. They would have had to lose 2 more games at least. Had they lost 3 they probably still beat Pittsburgh as a wild card.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Just because you are dissatisfied in both cases does not equate to both organizations adopting the same mentality. It is simply not true. For instance, Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips as the Oilers were on the cusp of a Championship, out of dissatisfaction. Bob McNair has a very different philosophy and believes in patience and trusting in his people to develop and build unity, consistency, etc... Like it or not, the two organizations have little in common.

Thorn
09-26-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't understand it.

In 2006 we (most of us on the board at that time) said we'd be happy if we were a perennial play-off team with a real shot to win it all every now & again.

That's what we got.

I'm very happy, damitt if my expectations are low...... I think they're reasonable.

And I was probably one of those that said that, because back then that would have been very reasonable. But now that I've seen them in the playoffs and am thinking they are probably blowing their window at a super bowl, I'm not being reasonable anymore.

Playoff teams are nice, I've been through three of them now if you count the Gamblers. It's a been there done that situation. Only a super bowl trophy does me any good.

dalemurphy
09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
It doesn't matter if it's the Oilers or the Texans or some future NFL team called the Houston Bull$hitters, I want a super bowl trophy and won't stop bitching about it until I get it.

"*****" away, but don't hold people accountable beyond what they have been responsible for. Blaming Kubiak for 50 years of frustration is ludicrous. Your misery, by the way, highlights the absurdity of fandom reducing the value of their experience down to the outcome of one game in February. That is a philosophical system destined for suffering. Not sure why people choose to approach the "fun" things in life that way.

Vinny
09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't understand it.

That's what we got.

If one is starving, one may eat bugs to survive. When you are stable and no longer starving, gourmet bugs are probably not nearly as satisfying.

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 12:03 PM
If one is starving, one may eat bugs to survive. When you are stable and no longer starving, gourmet bugs are probably not nearly as satisfying.

:notworthy:

DX-TEX
09-26-2013, 12:03 PM
What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!

What the f--k happened to the Texans fans I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest game of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. 'Ooh, we're afraid to go with you, we might get beaten.' Well, just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wilson, he's a dead man! Sherman dead! Lynch dead!

deucetx
09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Heh, and hopefully no kid came to the forum while writing a paper on WW2 and saw this. That wouldn't go over too well with the teacher lol.

Thorn
09-26-2013, 12:17 PM
"*****" away, but don't hold people accountable beyond what they have been responsible for. Blaming Kubiak for 50 years of frustration is ludicrous. Your misery, by the way, highlights the absurdity of fandom reducing the value of their experience down to the outcome of one game in February. That is a philosophical system destined for suffering. Not sure why people choose to approach the "fun" things in life that way.

Who says I'm not having fun bitching about it? :)

thunderkyss
09-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Heh, and hopefully no kid came to the forum while writing a paper on WW2 and saw this. That wouldn't go over too well with the teacher lol.

Pop Culture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI)

handswarmer
09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

I didn't realize that winning your Division was "barely making the playoffs"

By that standard, so did the Texans, Broncos, Pats, Niners, Falcons, Washington, Packers......

I knew they could win out and go to the SB...only hitch was Denver which we overcame.

Big52Hurt
09-26-2013, 01:48 PM

lol! man tell me about it! when the Texans skulled dragged us last season it was horrible! and even when the Broncos blasted us 2 weeks ago in our season opener on MNF, it was horrible! the media quickly threw dirt on and buried my Ravens. not realizing that there are still 15 games to go. since that opening day debacle, the Ravens defense has given up no TDs (i.e. Browns or Texans) but our offense is still playing like garbage right now. you guys play the Seahawks next right? that's a tough one to face after the Ravens but it should be a great test for your squad to see what type of team they will be this season.

good luck!

Nitrofish
09-27-2013, 01:54 AM

LOL... I guess you missed the "Animal House" reference there. :wadepalm:

mmwest
09-27-2013, 02:02 AM
What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

Was it over when the French won the Alamo? ......hell no!!!!

I guess I skipped that day too........duh.

BullNation4Life
09-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Was it over when the French won the Alamo? ......hell no!!!!

I guess I skipped that day too........duh.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/oh-stop-u.gif

TejasTom
09-27-2013, 01:13 PM
LOL... I guess you missed the "Animal House" reference there. :wadepalm:

This happens every time.

Blake
09-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Really all Harbaugh has added is Kap, Aldon Smith who is now a mental case, Dashon Goldston who walked and a couple backup RBs.

Singletary might have done most of the heavy lifting especially on the OL with Ahmad Brooks, Aubrayo Franklin, Anthony Davis, Iupati, Crabtree, Navarro Bowman.

The Texans, and Houston in general has always been an easy going fan base. We are "OK" going from 2 wins to 6 to above .500 to making the playoffs to advancing in the playoffs to who knows what. Try doing that in a market that expects to compete for SuperBowl or bust. It just doesnt seem like something they would accept.

thunderkyss
09-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Really all Harbaugh has added is Kap, Aldon Smith who is now a mental case, Dashon Goldston who walked and a couple backup RBs.

Singletary might have done most of the heavy lifting especially on the OL with Ahmad Brooks, Aubrayo Franklin, Anthony Davis, Iupati, Crabtree, Navarro Bowman.

Yeah, whoever was adding the talent in San Francisco since Mike Nolan was there is the guy who should get most of the credit. Then their Strength & Conditioning guy, because they've been one of the healthier crews in the NFL.

But Harbough should get credit for doing what he did. He took a talented team to the Super Bowl. Our team was just as talented & we lost in the divisional round.

Trail.Blazr
09-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Good. Not Great, Not Elite... Just Good = No Superbowl

Until a change is made in the most critical position on the team....Paper Tiger

I am calm :)

The Ravens game went as I expected it to based on history and what I consider to be a fair assessment of this team. They continue struggle against pretenders and continue to implode against contenders. While there are exceptions to this rule, for the most part, it's spot on. Fortunately, they are a good enough team to overcome the pretenders and in the past 2 years, that has equated to becoming the reigning NFL post season paper tiger. IMHO, that comes from a poor Special Teams component and a QB that is good. Not great, not elite.. Just good. I won't get down on Matt. All QB's will make mistakes and have bad games. Tell me the last time you saw a game that made you feel Matt was the reason the Texans won? ie, he carried the team to victory? And if so, who did they play?