PDA

View Full Version : This is an 8-8 or worse Texan team

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
This is not a knee-jerk reaction.

Our RT is terrible and we have no replacement for him. When Duane Brown doesn't play, our LT is terrible. Our QB is below average and has no natural ability to make something out of nothing, which is required with poor tackle play. Our pass defense is going to get exposed by good passing teams.

We'll be lucky if we go .500. We are extremely lucky to be 2-0 and not 0-2 given the way we've played thus far. There is no indication that this team will be getting better as the season progresses, actually quite the contrary as injuries happen.

eriadoc
09-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Nah. I'm as down on Schaub as anyone, but he's above average and the team is better than 8-8.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Here we go...

amazing80
09-22-2013, 01:47 PM
stupid thread and its even more stupid that you prefaced youre stupid thought with, this is not a knee jerk reaction :kubepalm:

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 01:49 PM
I guess you guys aren't watching the same team I am. This team is not good at all. We can stop the run and we can run the ball. That's all we got. It's not a knee jerk reaction because we are 10 quarters into the season.

Texanmike02

Our RT is terrible and we have no replacement for him. When Duane Brown doesn't play, our LT is terrible. Our QB is below average and has no natural ability to make something out of nothing, which is required with poor tackle play. Our pass defense is going to get exposed by good passing teams.

We'll we lucky if we go .500. We are extremely lucky to be 2-0 and not 0-2 given the way we've played thus far. There is no indication that this team will be getting better as the season progresses, actually quite the contrary as injuries happen.

Yeah, because posts declaring the season over when a team is 2-0 15 minutes after a pick six are NEVER knee-jerk reactions.

Mike

thunderkyss
T-Sizzle

NGata

Those guys are going to get theirs. Foster, Andre, & OD need to get theirs... Tate, Brown, & Myers need to get a little too.

Texanmike02
09-22-2013, 01:50 PM
JJ Watt is incredible.

That is all.

Mike

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah, because posts declaring the season over when a team is 2-0 15 minutes after a pick six are NEVER knee-jerk reactions.

Mike

Prior to the pick-six, we had about 50 passing yards.

Texanmike02
09-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Challenge that. Ball is moving until he gets out of bounds.

Mike

Texecutioner
09-22-2013, 01:54 PM
I definitely think this is pre-mature to declare this team as an 8-8 team already. There are good things we have seen this season like the fact that this team has the ability to fight to come back in games and we now have a #2 WR. AJ is playing great and our RB's are looking pretty good with this competition sort of going on.

The OP definitely makes some strong points though. To act like nothing he said has any accuracy at all is simply ignoring things because you don't want them to possibly be true. We could have very easily entered this game 0-2. Glad we didn't and we got some hard fought wins, but we've got some problems that we need to fix for sure.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 01:56 PM
First problem is to open it up more...period.

Texanmike02
09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
I will agree that these refs are at best a 3A highschool crew.

Mike

drs23
09-22-2013, 02:08 PM
I definitely think this is pre-mature to declare this team as an 8-8 team already. There are good things we have seen this season like the fact that this team has the ability to fight to come back in games and we now have a #2 WR. AJ is playing great and our RB's are looking pretty good with this competition sort of going on.

The OP definitely makes some strong points though. To act like nothing he said has any accuracy at all is simply ignoring things because you don't want them to possibly be true. We could have very easily entered this game 0-2. Glad we didn't and we got some hard fought wins, but we've got some problems that we need to fix for sure.

That is a sure thing. Why hasn't he had any targets yet? It's impossible to see the whole field during the broadcast but I don't recall Nuk being targeted yet. Did I miss it? Has he been?

drs23
09-22-2013, 02:10 PM
I will agree that these refs are at best a 3A highschool crew.

Mike

A *flag happy* bunch they are. Most 1/2 penalties in NFL history. Dayum.

Texecutioner
09-22-2013, 02:10 PM
That is a sure thing. Why hasn't he had any targets yet? It's impossible to see the whole field during the broadcast but I don't recall Nuk being targeted yet. Did I miss it? Has he been?

He had one good catch earlier, but you're right he hasn't been targeted a lot. Not sure why without being able to see the full screen.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Baltimore isn't even very good. Their passing game isn't much to deal with, yet they've been effective without much of a running game.

We still have the NFC West, the Pats, the Broncos, and the Colts twice to deal with.

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Average qb and average hc = 8-8. Its that simple fellas. Next up sea and sf.

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 02:45 PM
lol. i was worried that today was going to unfold this way. Hardly anyone was giving Baltimore any respect around here for the Ravens front 7, and the Duane Brown injury was THE WORST timing with this stretch coming up. Now its knee jerk meltdown mode for the next month.

Rey
09-22-2013, 02:47 PM
It's so hard to check out, but damnit I want to.

At the moment I'm trying to decide if the next two games will be losses or embarrassing losses.

AMartin56
09-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm worried about everything listed in the OP but I don't know if that means 8-8. Our OLine, Secondary and QB ARE playing poorly. After we lose the next two the schedule gets a LOT easier.

AnthonyE
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM

Our average QB is frankly the only reason we're 2-0 right now, IMO. How about placing the blame on the unit with that looks like swiss cheese.The OL. They look like the 2003 Texans out there.

Rey
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Baltimore isn't even very good. Their passing game isn't much to deal with, yet they've been effective without much of a running game.

We still have the NFC West, the Pats, the Broncos, and the Colts twice to deal with.

Defense has only given up 13 points so far. They've been on the field all day. Offense has not scored a TD. They've given up one. And after a three and out the punt team gave one up.

Porky
09-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Why do I keep seeing the words 2010 in my dreams? This is 2010 all over again. A couple of good and somewhat lucky comeback wins make everyone feel better than they should. Eventually the emperor has no clothes.

Our passing game stinks. We don't air it out until we have too. It's all underneath stuff, and that is what led to the int. I mean, he looked at the film. Those little 3-5 yard routes are the vast majority of Schaub's game until he is forced to do otherwise. So once again for the 3rd game in a row, Schaub makes one or more huge mistakes that turn the tide of the game. I've about had it with this guy.

Our pass pro is average at best, and that's with D Brown. Harris hasn't been that bad today. The RT stinks. How many times on 3rd and long can Kubiak call a draw? Sheeat. This team just goes into a shell.

Joe M's unit is still as bad as ever. Another game changing play. Those two plays were the game. Period.

D didn't play bad at all overall, but enough with the offsides. Jeesbus. Also, at key moments, they let the Ravens convert, with penalties playing a big role.

This team is staring 2-3 in the face. If the Ravens did it to us, the 49ers and Seahawks surely will.

I hate to agree with the OP, but right now this team looks very, very, average. 8 or 9 wins looks about right.

cuppacoffee
09-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I have never seen a team more overrated by the media and its fans than this Texan team.

Comebacks aren't anything to hang your hat on when you have to do it week after week.

We are trailing in the fourth quarter and still throwing the ball behind the sticks.

Schaub the statue has just been sacked as I type this.

What a joke on Texan fans.

:coffee:

Ryan
09-22-2013, 02:58 PM

We'll be lucky if we go .500. We are extremely lucky to be 2-0 and not 0-2 given the way we've played thus far. There is no indication that this team will be getting better as the season progresses, actually quite the contrary as injuries happen.

Honestly can't disagree with you. I haven't seen us look this bad since 2010 or maybe even before.

Rey
09-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I have 0 faith in Schaub to make plays.

He's just not that guy. He's thrown basically three picks that directly lead to scores in every game this season. Too many lulls in offensive production. The OLine is bad. The Running game is average. Defense is up and down. Texans could very easily be 0-3 right now.

Texans need a spark. They have yet to put together a game yet where you go, "ok...now that is a good team". They've had moments, but I'm not jazzed about our prospects.

When that guy wrote that article a while back I said I could see 8-8. But I figured 10-6 was more likely. I'll stick with that. 8-8 wouldn't shock me at all.

AMartin56
09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
I realize they attempted to address RT with a third round pick this past off season but if they keep running Newton out there for much longer I will lose what little remaining faith I have in Kubiak.

HouTx11
09-22-2013, 03:03 PM
This year is having a 2010 feel to it so far. The Texans MUST play better than they have so far this year if they want to beat the Seahawks, 49ers and Chiefs, to say nothing about the teams after the bye.

Stemp
09-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Concerned about the OL and the defensive backfield. Both are playing poorly so far.

Rest of the team seems to be ok.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Except last year they were 12-4 & the year before that they were 10-6.

You win some, you lose some. Not the end of the world. A lot of you had them losing this game anyway.

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Basically, w out Brown this team is avg at best. W out our best Olineman our avg line becomes immediately BAD. And Schaub is not able to carry this offense behind a bad line, nor w a good one, but we can still get in the playoffs w an avg O line.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 03:09 PM

At the moment I'm trying to decide if the next two games will be losses or embarrassing losses.

Admit it. You love us.

DX-TEX

Embarrassing.

Rey
Honestly, the most excited I was as a Texan fan was the season Yates took over. I feel like the excitement has been draining ever since that season. It wasn't because we played great football. It was because we reached our peak but I thought the future was bright.

I can't see Schaub winning a SupeR Bowl. I agree with Derrick Ward. Schaub doesn't inspire confidence. He doesn't have a spark to him. And it seems like his best games usually come when we dig ourselves in a hole against inexperienced teams. When we dig ourselves in a hole against more seasoned teams they step on our necks.

We need a new direction. This current flavor has peaked.

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Our average QB is frankly the only reason we're 2-0 right now, IMO. How about placing the blame on the unit with that looks like swiss cheese.The OL. They look like the 2003 Texans out there.

Your average qb gets sea and sf D next.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Your average qb gets sea and sf D next.

Teams who've made much better qb's look silly....

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Honestly, the most excited I was as a Texan fan was the season Yates took over. I feel like the excitement has been draining ever since that season. It wasn't because we played great football. It was because we reached our peak but I thought the future was bright.

I can't see Schaub winning a SupeR Bowl. I agree with Derrick Ward. Schaub doesn't inspire confidence. He doesn't have a spark to him. And it seems like his best games usually come when we dig ourselves in a hole against inexperienced teams. When we dig ourselves in a hole against more seasoned teams they step on our necks.

Wow this

texanhead08
09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I have never seen a team more overrated by the media and its fans than this Texan team.

Comebacks aren't anything to hang your hat on when you have to do it week after week.

We are trailing in the fourth quarter and still throwing the ball behind the sticks.

Schaub the statue has just been sacked as I type this.

What a joke on Texan fans.

:coffee:

I have been saying that all off season we have just lost too much in free agency the past 2 off seasons. This is not the same team it was in 2011.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Defense has only given up 13 points so far. They've been on the field all day. Offense has not scored a TD. They've given up one. And after a three and out the punt team gave one up.

All they needed to do was secure first downs and get into field goal range in order to close out the game. Baltimore did that with a below average passing attack.

Porky
09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Concerned about the OL and the defensive backfield. Both are playing poorly so far.

Rest of the team seems to be ok.

So you're good with the play of MS? :kubepalm:

Porky
09-22-2013, 03:28 PM

I kind of havce the same feeling. I actually think if Schaub doesn't get hurt that year, we had our best chance to reach the SB. This team looks more like the 2010 team, but maybe for different reasons. That team couldn't stop anyone. This team has a better D, but the ST are worse and the offense is worse.

Rey
09-22-2013, 03:36 PM
All they needed to do was secure first downs and get into field goal range in order to close out the game. Baltimore did that with a below average passing attack.

Yes they did, but let's not act like Baltimore is the jaguars or some scrub team struggling to breathe.

Baltimore has some decent targets and Flacco can throw it around sometimes. Bottom line is the defense was on the field all day and we did nothing offensively to put pressure on the ravens. It's hard on a defense when an offense has little pressure to score points. They can be methodical. Do what they want. Pick and choose their spots.

Put more points up and all of a sudden they aren't so calm and cool. Play calls are different. The pressure to score is there.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes they did, but let's not act like Baltimore is the jaguars or some scrub team struggling to breathe.

Baltimore has some decent targets and Flacco can throw it around sometimes. Bottom line is the defense was on the field all day and we did nothing offensively to put pressure on the ravens. It's hard on a defense when an offense has little pressure to score points. They can be methodical. Do what they want. Pick and choose their spots.

Put more points up and all of a sudden they aren't so calm and cool. Play calls are different. The pressure to score is there.

I don't disagree with you. My point was to highlight what is likely to happen against better teams when we play the kind of offense we are playing. The offense we saw today wasn't a fluke either, this is what we are likely to see for the majority of the season.

JCTexan
09-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Why do I keep seeing the words 2010 in my dreams? This is 2010 all over again. A couple of good and somewhat lucky comeback wins make everyone feel better than they should. Eventually the emperor has no clothes.

Our passing game stinks. We don't air it out until we have too. It's all underneath stuff, and that is what led to the int. I mean, he looked at the film. Those little 3-5 yard routes are the vast majority of Schaub's game until he is forced to do otherwise. So once again for the 3rd game in a row, Schaub makes one or more huge mistakes that turn the tide of the game. I've about had it with this guy.

Our pass pro is average at best, and that's with D Brown. Harris hasn't been that bad today. The RT stinks. How many times on 3rd and long can Kubiak call a draw? Sheeat. This team just goes into a shell.

Joe M's unit is still as bad as ever. Another game changing play. Those two plays were the game. Period.

D didn't play bad at all overall, but enough with the offsides. Jeesbus. Also, at key moments, they let the Ravens convert, with penalties playing a big role.

This team is staring 2-3 in the face. If the Ravens did it to us, the 49ers and Seahawks surely will.

I hate to agree with the OP, but right now this team looks very, very, average. 8 or 9 wins looks about right.

I agree with the bolded. The start to the season is the same as 2010. Two comeback wins to start the season.. The difference to me is the roles look to be reversed. The defense looks fine, not historically bad like 2010: the offense is the unit struggling. The "O" has struggled the first three games and I don't know how much better they will be the next two games against some rather good defenses in Seattle & San Francisco. I think the Texans should come out as if they were behind to start the game against Seattle. They should throw the ball downfield. They have the weapons to do so finally but still haven't done it until the games have been in jeopardy.

rolyat93
09-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Early front-runner for worst thread of the year?

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 03:46 PM

We've seen three extremely shaky games thus far. A prediction of .500 is not off base. Have you not seen our remaining schedule?

Explain what it is that you have seen that makes you think that the prediction is so terrible, please.

JCTexan
09-22-2013, 03:49 PM

I am about as optimistic as they come but I'm even a bit worried right now. Everything I've seen, not defensively mind you, has reminded of the 2010 season and they finished 6-10 that year I believe.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 03:52 PM
This time last year, the general feeling about this team was 180 degrees from where it is now. Just last week, the general feeling about the Baltimore Ravens was exactly what we are saying here.

WHYDFML

Three weeks in a row we've seen "issues" & I understand the doom & gloom being that we've seen little to make us believe we're getting better.

But I'm still optimistic. Why? Because Schaub is who he is. I don't expect him to get better, or step it up, or become something he's not. He's going to put up 4,000 or so yards (no big deal in today's NFL) & twenty some odd TDs. I'm not expecting Gary Kubiak to morph into Belichick. He's going to be who he's been. He's not going to get too "wacky" with the play calling, he's not going to get overly emotional, he's going to continue to methodically find a way to put together wins.

But I didn't see LeStar Jean out there today. That tells me Devier Posey is getting healthy. I saw 2 great catches by KeShawn Martin on 3 or 4 targets. I saw DeAndre Hopkins make some great catches. They're all pretty fast guys, including Andre. With the exception of Posey, they've all shown to be effective across the middle. Like 2009, we've got the tools to be a dynamic passing offense.

Defensively... not a lot to see there. We need to keep them off the field (& the opposing teams offense as well).

Bad game.... ugly game... but we knew that was coming. Onto next week.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Another thing about the defense is the lack of consistent pass rush. Man-coverage + below average pass rush = bad things.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 03:54 PM

We call that "turtling up" around here.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 03:55 PM
There has been 1constant since the GB game last year:

Unless its JJ Watt, the defense can't generate a pass rush unless they blitz.

Wade's defense is getting exposed and has been for some time.

I'm of the opinion that even if we had a better qb, we'd have issues stoping good to great qb's when we needed to.

This week it was the offense who let us down...what about the 2 weeks before?

They just don't look good on defense at all.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 03:56 PM
This time last year, the general feeling about this team was 180 degrees from where it is now. Just last week, the general feeling about the Baltimore Ravens was exactly what we are saying here.

WHYDFML

Three weeks in a row we've seen "issues" & I understand the doom & gloom being that we've seen little to make us believe we're getting better.

But I'm still optimistic. Why? Because Schaub is who he is. I don't expect him to get better, or step it up, or become something he's not. He's going to put up 4,000 or so yards (no big deal in today's NFL) & twenty some odd TDs. I'm not expecting Gary Kubiak to morph into Belichick. He's going to be who he's been. He's not going to get too "wacky" with the play calling, he's not going to get overly emotional, he's going to continue to methodically find a way to put together wins.

But I didn't see LeStar Jean out there today. That tells me Devier Posey is getting healthy. I saw 2 great catches by KeShawn Martin on 3 or 4 targets. I saw DeAndre Hopkins make some great catches. They're all pretty fast guys, including Andre. With the exception of Posey, they've all shown to be effective across the middle. Like 2009, we've got the tools to be a dynamic passing offense.

Defensively... not a lot to see there. We need to keep them off the field (& the opposing teams offense as well).

Bad game.... ugly game... but we knew that was coming. Onto next week.

Oddly enough, our receivers and tight ends don't appear to be the problem. I think we have sufficient weapons to have a good passing attack. The problem is clearly the QB. Schaub was above average at the beginning of last season, since that time he has only become worse.

JCTexan
09-22-2013, 04:01 PM
There has been 1constant since the GB game last year:

Unless its JJ Watt, the defense can't generate a pass rush unless they blitz.

Wade's defense is getting exposed and has been for some time.

I'm of the opinion that even if we had a better qb, we'd have issues stoping good to great qb's when we needed to.

It was still the offense. Schaub has basically thrown three pick-6 this season and the offense has gone dead cold at times in the middle of games. I'm worried about the offense, not the defense.

Rey
09-22-2013, 04:06 PM
We call that "turtling up" around here.

Baltimore did turtle up.

But they did it because they didn't fear our offense at all. If they were playing a more potent offense today I think they'd have pressed harder.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 04:07 PM

You're complaining about the defense after they give up a total of 246 yards? They gave up 248 and 263 the weeks prior. Stop the misdirection. Everyone with eyes saw what the problem was today.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 04:09 PM
It was still the offense. Schaub has basically thrown three pick-6 this season and the offense has gone dead cold at times in the middle of games. I'm worried about the offense, not the defense.

Im equally worried about both to be honest...the o-line looks like garbage which has the qb uneasy back there and we're unable to really run the ball like kubes wants to. One the defensive side, we cant generate pressure with 3-4 man rushes and the defensive secondary is looking 2010 ish....

houstonspartan
09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Kubiak isn't the QB guru everyone thinks. He's been riding John Elway's and Steve Young's coattails for years. Real talk.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
You're complaining about the defense after they give up a total of 246 yards? They gave up 248 and 263 the weeks prior. Stop the misdirection. Everyone with eyes saw what the problem was today.

Yeah, b/c total yards tells the whole story....

There's no misdirection, there's no faucet of this team that looks ready to take the next step up to a super bowl. Rivers torched them week 1 and they made locker lok like he's a competent NFL qb....

handswarmer
09-22-2013, 04:15 PM

You could see the difference in Wade Phillips defensive lay calling- Dumbledorf even saw it. The pass rush was passive when they were behind. Lots more Zone in the back end.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 04:17 PM
How about pick 6's? What story does that tell?

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 04:23 PM

We matchup really well with the Ravens, to be honest. Maybe better than any other competent offense. The Ravens love to run the ball and they don't have almost anyone behind Torrey Smith as a pass catching option. We can stop the run, so it was more difficult on the Ravens than it was against San Diego and other teams that will put more emphasis on their passing attack. The Ravens didn't even have Ray Rice out there today and were in turtle mode for pretty much a full quarter. They still managed to move the ball efficiently enough to score enough points and eat enough clock.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 04:25 PM
How about pick 6's? What story does that tell?

The same story it told last week when we won....nothing really other than the guys on the defense get paid too.

JamesBill
09-22-2013, 04:41 PM
The same story it told last week when we won....nothing really other than the guys on the defense get paid too.

They don't get paid as well as Schauber. He hasn't been good all year. If he continues to play like this, we won't make the playoffs.

cstyle42
09-22-2013, 04:45 PM

They don't get paid as well as Schauber. He hasn't been good all year. If he continues to play like this, we won't make the playoffs.

How many td passes did Schaub throw today? 0. How many times were we in the red zone? Plenty of times. Kubiak and Schaub are a big fat joke.

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 04:50 PM

And our O put no pressure on theirs.

bckey
09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
We've seen three extremely shaky games thus far. A prediction of .500 is not off base. Have you not seen our remaining schedule?

Explain what it is that you have seen that makes you think that the prediction is so terrible, please.

I agree with you. Here is what I predicted after the Titans game last week.

Week 1- at Chargers W
Week 2- vs Titans W
Week 3 at Ravens L
Week 4 vs Seahawks L
Week 5 at Niners L
Week 6 vs Rams W
Week 7 at Chiefs L
Week 8- bye
Week 9 vs Colts W
Week 10 at Cardinals W
Week 11 vs Raiders W
Week 12 vs Jags W
Week 13 vs Pats L
Week 14 at Jags W
Week 15 at Colts L
Week 16 vs Broncos L
Week 17 at Titans W

It was nice to get a win last night but the Texans were exposed by a mediocre team. I'm seeing 9-7 and maybe even 8-8 because of the nfc west. They were supposed to beat the chargers. I have them going 2-2 against the NFC west but that division got a lot tougher this year and could be 1-3 or even 0-4. The Rams and Cardinals are much improved. The Chiefs are much better this year under Andy Reid. The Texans schedule is a lot tougher than it looked when it first came out. The same schedule last year would have been much easier. Peyton is better and has way more targets and Luck has a year under his belt. The only gimmes I see are the raiders and jags.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2206857

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 04:51 PM
The problem is clearly the QB. Schaub was above average at the beginning of last season, since that time he has only become worse.

Schaub shouldn't be mentioned in the same post with Peyton Manning.... but this time last year, the great one was having trouble getting in sync with his receivers. Schaub has been showing issues as well. His security blanket isn't there anymore & he never gelled with KeyShawn.

With our issues at tackle, maybe the TEs had to release late. I don't know that, didn't pay much attention other than they weren't as big a factor in this game as I thought they would be.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Mr teX

The team as a whole hasn't been good all year so whats your point? There's only about 4 people on the entire team who are earning their salary right about now..watt, AJ, Nuk and OD...everyone else.

ATXtexanfan

Pick six play of the game. All downhill after that

Lucky
09-22-2013, 04:53 PM
They still managed to move the ball efficiently enough to score enough points and eat enough clock.
The Texans ran more plays (slightly) and led in time of possession (slightly). The problem was that the offense could put up points for the opposition, but not themselves. This offense continues to put the team into a hole, and it finally bit them in the arse today.

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 04:58 PM
The Texans ran more plays (slightly) and led in time of possession (slightly). The problem was that the offense could put up points for the opposition, but not themselves. This offense continues to put the team into a hole, and it finally bit them in the arse today.

Lol schaub above average (slightly)......

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 05:06 PM
I agree with you. Here is what I predicted after the Titans game last week.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2206857

This is why I started the next 7 games thread. Thats how important this Baltimore game was, and how worried I was after D Brown was out.

This year is nothing like the last two. Breezing our way early. But maybe this is exactly what we need. We will have to fight our way till the end after a 2-4 start. Maybe we are the best we can be at the end of the season, not in the beginning.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Totally agree. The pick six followed by a punt returned for a TD.

That changed the game. They're pinning their ears back & we're feeling pressure to score.

Premier
09-22-2013, 05:12 PM
if we go 8-8 there better be a purpose to it.. if they miss the playoffs schaub and kubiak should be let go.. theres no excuse..

amazing80
09-22-2013, 05:13 PM

That changed the game. They're pinning their ears back & we're feeling pressure to score.

Opening with 2 fgs changed the game, if you don't put good teams away early with touchdowns, you will lose. Our redzone play calling is still pathetic.

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 05:16 PM

A disaster formula with this current Oline no doubt. We could not afford to lose turnover battle or have a failed special teams day in Baltimore aganst that front 7. We were only ever going to win this in a 16-13 type battle.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
if we go 8-8 there better be a purpose to it.. if they miss the playoffs schaub and kubiak should be let go.. theres no excuse..

For once i agree with you....of course i'd give kubiak the axe 1st..he to me at this point is the caucasian version of marvin lewis.

TexanBacker93
09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
The team as a whole hasn't been good all year so whats your point? There's only about 4 people on the entire team who are earning their salary right about now..watt, AJ, Nuk and OD...everyone else.

Cushing's been very good. It wasn't his best game today, but I think he's at least earned his money. Graham and Lechler, too.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I now know better than to believe McNair would cut Kubiak loose after a non-playoff season. Not happening. But, Schaub is on a shorter leash. He can't continue to be mediocre and draw these massive paychecks.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
if we go 8-8....

I'm not even thinking about that right now. It should not be on the edge of anyone's mind in the FO. If we get to 6 losses, the man in charge should be so upset that he's thinking of making a change. If we get to 7... I think a change should be made & if my HC has no idea what that change should be, or refuses to make a meaningful change, I'll step in & make the change for the last time in his Houston Texans' career.

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm not even thinking about that right now. It should not be on the edge of anyone's mind in the FO. If we get to 6 losses, the man in charge should be so upset that he's thinking of making a change. If we get to 7... I think a change should be made & if my HC has no idea what that change should be, or refuses to make a meaningful change, I'll step in & make the change for the last time in his Houston Texans' career.

Have you seen our next four opponents?

TexanBacker93
09-22-2013, 05:35 PM
It's week 3. The Texans are 2-1 and at least tied for the division lead. A year ago we were 3-0. We went on to have our best regular season record ever. What did that mean? We lost in the divisional round.

The Broncos were 1-2 after the 3rd week last year. They ended the year 13-3 and had the #1 seed. They also lost in the divisonal round.

The Ravens struggled after the first month of the season. They lost by 30 on the road in week 6 (I fail to recall who against, though). They barely made it into the playoffs. They must have been one and done. I'm sure their fans were calling for people to be fired and thought they'd go 0-fer the rest of the season, too. They lost at home to Denver. Badly. They beat them on the road in the playoffs. They beat New England at home in the regular season on a questionable call and then beat them again on the road in the playoffs.

It's a long season. It doesn't matter what happens here. It doesn't matter who wins now. As long as we are playing in January we can win it all. Flacco looked a lot like Schaub for much of last year until January hit. He doesn't have the same skills as Flacco, but he can still get hot and sling it.

We don't have to have home field advantage. It means nothing (unless you have to go to Seattle). Get to the dance and get hot.

If it were only that easy.

handswarmer
09-22-2013, 05:36 PM
It's week 3. The Texans are 2-1 and at least tied for the division lead. A year ago we were 3-0. We went on to have our best regular season record ever. What did that mean? We lost in the divisional round.

The Broncos were 1-2 after the 3rd week last year. They ended the year 13-3 and had the #1 seed. They also lost in the divisonal round.

The Ravens struggled after the first month of the season. They lost by 30 on the road in week 6 (I fail to recall who against, though). They barely made it into the playoffs. They must have been one and done. I'm sure their fans were calling for people to be fired and thought they'd go 0-fer the rest of the season, too. They lost at home to Denver. Badly. They beat them on the road in the playoffs. They beat New England at home in the regular season on a questionable call and then beat them again on the road in the playoffs.

It's a long season. It doesn't matter what happens here. It doesn't matter who wins now. As long as we are playing in January we can win it all. Flacco looked a lot like Schaub for much of last year until January hit. He doesn't have the same skills as Flacco, but he can still get hot and sling it.

We don't have to have home field advantage. It means nothing (unless you have to go to Seattle). Get to the dance and get hot.

Did the Texans barely make the playoffs last year?

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Did the Texans barely make the playoffs last year?

What do you mean barely? We'd have had to lose 2 more games than we did to be completely out. Same as you I think.

JamesBill
09-22-2013, 05:42 PM
You could see the difference in Wade Phillips defensive lay calling- Dumbledorf even saw it. The pass rush was passive when they were behind. Lots more Zone in the back end.

The gameplan was to stop the rush and make the crappy wide recievers on the Ravens make plays. The plan worked and the offense only scored 16 points. The penalties made the defense look much worse than they actually played.

handswarmer
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
What do you mean barely? We'd have had to lose 2 more games than we did to be completely out. Same as you I think.

was asking him

The Ravens struggled after the first month of the season. They lost by 30 on the road in week 6 (I fail to recall who against, though). They barely made it into the playoffs.

because we won the Division just like you guys did.

TexanBacker93
09-22-2013, 06:07 PM
was asking him

because we won the Division just like you guys did.

Very true. The Ravens didn't "barely" make the playoffs. They weren't playing well for the last half of a season, though. That was the point I was attempting to make. It's a long season. There are going to be bumps. They didn't appear to be a team that was destined to win a Super Bowl until they started playing the games that mattered.

tedr
09-22-2013, 06:21 PM

There's no misdirection, there's no faucet of this team that looks ready to take the next step up to a super bowl. Rivers torched them week 1 and they made locker lok like he's a competent NFL qb....

Well, in this case they probably do...they certainly have not been dominant, but of the 82 points we've given up, 31 have come as a direct result of offense or special teams plays. I'll take our defense giving up 17 points per game any time, because with our offense we should be able to score more every single time. Also, because of offensive ineffectiveness, the D has probably had to take more chances, which has probably hurt us as well.

Porky
09-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I love the smell of pink soap in the morning.

MistaRed
09-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Says it's not a knee jerk thread

Makes knee jerk thread

5 stars.

WolverineFan
09-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Seattle looks like a well oiled machine so far this year. The game is at home, but we still haven't showed up for a game yet this season. We're extremely fortunate to not be 0-3.

And the SF game is a road game at night on national TV so you know that will be embarrassing.

After that we have St. Louis at home and then at KC before our bye. I fully anticipate a 3-4 record going into the bye week.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Well, in this case they probably do...they certainly have not been dominant, but of the 82 points we've given up, 31 have come as a direct result of offense or special teams plays. I'll take our defense giving up 17 points per game any time, because with our offense we should be able to score more every single time. Also, because of offensive ineffectiveness, the D has probably had to take more chances, which has probably hurt us as well.

And this is the 1st game of the year the offense has not scored 20 pts or more. The difference however is that the defense has put the offense behind the 8 ball 2 out of the 3 games. The san diego game we were down 14 at half and they promptly gave up another 7 right out the gate after half time...

The tennesse game they picked the worst time to let a bad qb go the length of the field on them and give up the lead the offense managed to get back....before the offense gave it up again that is.

Im not exonerating the offense in all this, im merely pointing out that this team is sucking really bad right now. There's nothing i can look at and say we're ok in.....cept for Nuk...he's balling.

Seegara
09-22-2013, 06:51 PM
It's bad. It's looking like 7-9 right now.

Premier
09-22-2013, 07:06 PM
The tennesse game they picked the worst time to let a bad qb go the length of the field on them and give up the lead the offense managed to get back....before the offense gave it up again that is.

wow you really have a knack for deflecting blame. first youre wrong, the score went as follows.
7-0/7-7/10-7/14-10/16-10/17-16 the defense gave up a td and we were down by a whopping deficit of 17-16.. smh.. 1point. is this the insurmountable deficit that the defense forced upon the offense that they "managed to get back?"

there was a stretch were the defense forced 4 straight 3 & outs, then on the 5th possession they recorded a safety, this was the 16-10 lead before they gave up a TD. (sorry ass defense right) how dare they give up a td after 5 straight possessions without even giving up a first down.. so down by 1 point, titans lead was built by a certain qb tossing a pick 6...

how can anyone objective place blame on the defense. you talk about total yards not telling the whole story when you dont even remember the whole story.. yea the defense was terrible for the first half of the chargers game. so that excuses the offense putting up 7 points?? even then the offense came back, lets not forget one td was aided by a bs call on a FG and that terrible defense helped in the comeback by pitching a shutout the rest of the way and scoring a TD to tie the game. if the offense gets a pass for only playing half the game why doesnt the defense get the same pass..

as for today, cmon now, 9 points, and you put the blame on a defense that gave up 13 points??

gafftop
09-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Opening with 2 fgs changed the game, if you don't put good teams away early with touchdowns, you will lose. Our redzone play calling is still pathetic.

Do we know what the first option was on the play. How do we know MS just didn't check down. I agree if the play was run as GK called then pathetic play calling and that well could be because GK plays not to lose especially early. I have also thought GK may be very limited as to what he can call in red zone because of MS ability. Matt has a very slow release and in the red zone things need to happen fast.
Whatever the reason this team is not good right now.
The Ravens changed OC just during the season maybe we need something to jump start our offense.

BullNation4Life
09-22-2013, 07:23 PM
I am slowly starting to turn into a Colts fan...

I really like what they are doing up there and really tired of the same ol thing here...

When the defense knows EXACTLY what you are going to run on certain downs, Suggs knowing that Kubiak was going to run a draw play on 3rd and 15 down, it is beyond maddening....

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 07:59 PM
And the SF game is a road game at night on national TV so you know that will be embarrassing.

Hopefully it'll be embarassing like last year's Bears game & we still get the W.

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 08:16 PM

I really like what they are doing up there and really tired of the same ol thing here...

When the defense knows EXACTLY what you are going to run on certain downs, Suggs knowing that Kubiak was going to run a draw play on 3rd and 15 down, it is beyond maddening....

Whats maddening is people basing an argument using a 3rd and 15 example

cstyle42
09-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Flacco has never played like Matt Schaub. Flacco has the deep ball other qb's can run. Schaub has no special intangible in his game that gives you any hope. He's totally dependent on the system and that system has to run perfect for you to see Matt Schaub play at his best... that's simply not going to happen and it is stupid on the texans part to expect it to. They need to stop doing things the boneheaded way and accept Schaub for what he is then bench him.

BullNation4Life
09-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Whats maddening is people basing an argument using a 3rd and 15 example

oook you want a 2nd and 6, Foster left for a yard and a half, or how about a 3 and 8 and a throw for 6 yards in route. shall I keep going?

You don't see Harbaugh drawing up a middle draw on a 3rd and 15 do you, hell you don't see ANY other coach in this league drawing up a middle draw play on 3rd 15, 3rd and 10 so on and so forth. No they take shots down the field, they don't give up and try and play "field position" even though they are down 17 points....

what is maddening is fans STILL do not get what Kubiak is all about...

utahmark
09-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Bandwagon! Go get on it.

San Francisco it looking very mediocre so far. I'm just wondering if everyone thinks their season is over as well?

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
oook you want a 2nd and 6, Foster left, or how about a 3 and 8 and a throw for 6 yards. shall I keep going?

You don't see Harbaugh drawing up a middle draw on a 3rd and 15 do you, hell you don't see ANY other coach in this league drawing up a middle draw play on 3rd 15, 3rd and 10 so on and so forth. No they take shots down the field, they don't give up and try and play "field position" even though they are down 17 points....

Dude. When our offensive line is blocking (we have seen it in 2011), this offense is damn near unstoppable, and thats WITH Schaub. Imagine with an Oline AND a talented QB.

cstyle42
09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Bandwagon! Go get on it.

San Francisco it looking very mediocre so far. I'm just wondering if everyone thinks their season is over as well?

San Fransico was in the super bowl last year we weren't and have never been there. We definitely have more to B about.

Texian
09-22-2013, 08:28 PM
The Texans could easily be 0-3 right now.

All those who didn't think the Texans made a mistake and Ozzie Newsome did make might want to rethink that.

All those who thought the Ravens Defense would be worse than last year because Lewis and Reed were gone might want to rethink that. In fact there is a lesson to be learned by Mr. Newsome, how to build your team and plan for the years ahead and not mortgage the future. 2013 is a classic case study. A lesson Ozzie himself learned in 2000.

All those that thought Colts wasted over $30 million on free agents that they signed in the off season might want to rethink that. Colts looked liked a very very good football team beating the 49ers handily today. The Colts & Andrew Luck's return to the top of the AFC South looks like it could be much sooner than many thought.

utahmark
09-22-2013, 08:30 PM
San Fransico was in the super bowl last year we weren't and have never been there. We definitely have more to B about.

I couldn't care less what they did last year. Over on their board you have guys mad at their qb, coach and most of the guys in between. sound familiar?

BullNation4Life
09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Dude. When our offensive line is blocking (we have seen it in 2011), this offense is damn near unstoppable, and thats WITH Schaub. Imagine with an Oline AND a talented QB.

Sure, and imagine a head coach with the stones to actually go out and get that talented QB and one that doesn't mix and match his Oline every other week...

Imagine all the people...cheering for the Te..ex..aanns...

You can say I am a dreamer, but I defiantly am not the only one...

I hope someday you'll join us...

And the fans will scream as one...

when Kubiak makes more stupid calls....

Texian
09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Bandwagon! Go get on it.

Seattle has one of the best D in the league. The Colts D did a better job beating the 49ers and that was in SF.

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Sure, and imagine a head coach with the stones to actually go out and get that talented QB and one that doesn't mix and match his Oline every other week...

Imagine all the people...cheering for the Te..ex..aanns...

You can say I am a dreamer, but I defiantly am not the only one...

I hope someday you'll join us...

And the fans will scream as one...

when Kubiak makes more stupid calls....

A dreamer or a bandwagon?

utahmark
09-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Seattle has one of the best D in the league. The Colts D did a better job beating the 49ers and that was in SF.

And a lot of people outside this board would say Houston is 2 and 1 and we just lost to the defending champions on their field. It's way to early for all this doom and gloom.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I think they have to be very concerned with their offense. Don't you?

Other teams besides the Texans are having issues. Does that mean the Texans and their fans shouldn't be concerned about what is happening here? I don't know where you're going with this.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 08:39 PM
wow you really have a knack for deflecting blame. first youre wrong, the score went as follows.
7-0/7-7/10-7/14-10/16-10/17-16 the defense gave up a td and we were down by a whopping deficit of 17-16.. smh.. 1point. is this the insurmountable deficit that the defense forced upon the offense that they "managed to get back?"

there was a stretch were the defense forced 4 straight 3 & outs, then on the 5th possession they recorded a safety, this was the 16-10 lead before they gave up a TD. (sorry ass defense right) how dare they give up a td after 5 straight possessions without even giving up a first down.. so down by 1 point, titans lead was built by a certain qb tossing a pick 6...

how can anyone objective place blame on the defense. you talk about total yards not telling the whole story when you dont even remember the whole story.. yea the defense was terrible for the first half of the chargers game. so that excuses the offense putting up 7 points?? even then the offense came back, lets not forget one td was aided by a bs call on a FG and that terrible defense helped in the comeback by pitching a shutout the rest of the way and scoring a TD to tie the game. if the offense gets a pass for only playing half the game why doesnt the defense get the same pass..

as for today, cmon now, 9 points, and you put the blame on a defense that gave up 13 points??

How can you claim to be objective and completely ignore the problems the defense has had in stopping people when they need to? KJ by himself has already subsidized at least 2 critical scoring drives in 2 different games with penalties and bad coverage.....yet i dont here you railing on him about that like you've been railing on schaub about his pick 6's.

And I can refer to "stretches" too where the offense played well in the 1st 2 games too....The fact that you have to refer to " stretches" says it all about the defense.

Furthermore, It doezn't matter how it happened or how many points they put the team behind... they gave it up and they needed the offense to go get it back...and the offense did it the 1st 2 games...they failed this week.

I'm not " deflecting" anything...there's plenty of the blame to go around.

Tailgate

Other teams besides the Texans are having issues. Does that mean the Texans and their fans shouldn't be concerned about what is happening here? I don't know where you're going with this.

I think what he meant that this is the NFL, and seasons are not made or broken in week 3.

Texian
And a lot of people outside this board would say Houston is 2 and 1 and we just lost to the defending champions on their field. It's way to early for all this doom and gloom.

The Colts go to the Home of the NFC Champion and Super Bowl team and WIN handily. The Texans go to Home of AFC Champion and Super Bowl team and LOSE handily...and it's to early....hhhmmmm...if you say so.

Craig.
09-22-2013, 08:41 PM
The Colts go to the Home of the NFC Champion and Super Bowl team and WIN handily. The Texans go to Home of AFC Champion and Super Bowl team and LOSE handily...and it's to early....hhhmmmm...if you say so.

Baltimore came to Reliant and got beat 43-13 last year. Baltimore got right and you know the rest.

Yeah. It's too early.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 08:42 PM
The Ravens are not the same team that won the Super Bowl. We're not just talking about one game, either.

The Texans can turn this around by stop giving gift TDs to the opposition and putting the ball into the end zone. If that doesn't happen, well doom and gloom are how it will be around here.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm not " deflecting" anything...
That's all you've done in any thread you were in today. At least you've been consistent.

Tailgate
09-22-2013, 08:47 PM
The Ravens are not the same team that won the Super Bowl. We're not just talking about one game, either.

The Texans can turn this around by stop giving gift TDs to the opposition and putting the ball into the end zone. If that doesn't happen, well doom and gloom are how it will be around here.

Ravens D is going to be even better this year. Was saying this all week.

And you are right, facing this front 7 w Brown out... We could ill afford to give away two tds. Playing from behind w this current Oline against that front 7 was exactly what the Ravens wanted.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 08:58 PM
That's all you've done in any thread you were in today. At least you've been consistent.

Because i pay attention to the entire game and not just those things that reaffirm my agenda? Ok.

But you and anyone who thinks this teams issues magically go away by getting a another qb are in for a rude awakening. There are major issues on this team in addition to the qb. Good qb's have lit this defense up like a christmas tree. Thus far, i havent seen anything that tells me thats gonna be different this year.

deucetx
09-22-2013, 08:59 PM

I don't believe we'll fall to 8-8 but I do think there is a chance we may not win this division and instead will have to fight for the wild card. Or said simply the division crown may not be a certain matter like the previous two years.

But in any case, I still understand the point others are making. Why shouldn't they be concerned? You point out the 49ers board but what does that have to do with what is happening with this time. They have seen their time rise higher before. They have seem basically the same personnel go to another level. What have we seen?

We can try to ignore last year but the problem with this team toward the end of the year last season is still plaguing them coming into this season. They can not play a complete game for whatever reason. That is something to be concerned about. The inconsistency in the redzone has been an issue for how long exactly? How about the issue of slow starts? So yes, folks have reason to be concerned because they are seeing the same issues they saw previously that held this team back.

On top of this what improvement are we seeing in one of our biggest issues last year in that offensive line? Newton has not shown any progress and Wade Smith is....Wade Smith. Maybe he's playing hurt but in the end that matters little since he's on the field and is expected to produce. Three straight games this line was beaten one way or another.

So again...yeah. They have reason to be concerned. And outside this board not all folks are screaming praise or that we're 2-1. They noticed the previous two games weren't pretty either. As posted in a sports group I'm in:

Are the Texans frauds or what? That showing has to be the most pathetic of all today.

Granted he retracted that statement when considering the Giants got completely dominated.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 08:59 PM
oook you want a 2nd and 6, Foster left for a yard and a half, or how about a 3 and 8 and a throw for 6 yards in route. shall I keep going?

Did you watch the 49ers today?

utahmark
09-22-2013, 09:05 PM

I just think it's a little early to start talking about getting rid of our coach, kicker and qb. Really good teams can have problems early in the season is where I was going with that. I think Baltimore lost this game last year and it didn't turn out to bad for them. And yes, they looked at least as bad(in their loss to us last year) as we did today.

HTown2ATX
09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Texans won't go 8-8. Schedule softens up and I don't THINK they're bad enough to totally diarrhea the season up like that. However, if they do or fall below that, it is time for changes.

Marciano needs to be fired last year.

Texans need an OC, no more Denny's menu.

Texans need actual QB competition with either Yates and Keenum or bring in someone. And that is coming from someone who defended Schaub for years....but I defended HWNSNBM up until the end too so I'm close to done with Schaub. His INT's are more than expected every game nowadays.

This team could so easily be 0-3 and have earned the poof lion. :lion: :cheese:

What makes it even more superfantastical is that the sunshine pumpers will try to make the realists who see the flaws in this team out to be villians somehow or somehow they "don't know football" as they explain away picks due to some quasi BS caused by the receiver not seeing the ball due to the winter solstice or some $hit.

Wonka says: Oh so YOU'RE a "Super Fan"? Tell me again how being a sunshine pumper makes you a superior fan.

http://www.troll.me/images/willy-wonka-gene-wilder/willy-wonka-gene-wilder.jpg

DX-TEX
Im interested to see how they rebound. A nice trouncing of the Seahawks would go a long way. Their fans are getting rather chippy

thunderkyss

To be fair, Schaub looks great when we're in a hurry up offense. He looks great when we're throwing the ball a lot. He looks great when we're throwing the ball down field.

& I'm talking about this year.

But we worry about Matt taking too many hits. If he's going to be dropping back & throwing a lot, he's going to get smacked around with the way our line's been playing.

Then Arian gets better with touches, so we've "got" to feed him the ball.

So Kubiak needs to find a way to get Matt in a rhythm & throwing the ball early.... at the same time, we need to get Arian some touches. You'd think that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Texian
09-22-2013, 09:10 PM
I just think it's a little early to start talking about getting rid of our coach,

Uh-Oh I have been doing that going on 3 years already. I wanted McNair to hire Jim Harbaugh Jan 2011. Today I want McNair to hire Oliver Luck as GM and David Shaw as Head Coach.

DX-TEX
09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Uh-Oh I have been doing that going on 3 years already. I wanted McNair to hire Jim Harbaugh Jan 2011. Today I want McNair to hire Oliver Luck as GM and David Shaw as Head Coach.

Im ok with that as long as Andrew comes along with him in a couple years.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't believe we'll fall to 8-8 but I do think there is a chance we may not win this division and instead will have to fight for the wild card. Or said simply the division crown may not be a certain matter like the previous two years.

That would be great. We'd be like the last 3 Super Bowl winners.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Really good teams can have problems early in the season is where I was going with that. I think Baltimore lost this game last year and it didn't turn out to bad for them. And yes, they looked at least as bad(in their loss to us last year) as we did today.
That's true. But the Ravens didn't just sit back and hope things got better. They identified their problem and made a pretty drastic move in changing OCs in season. I think what you've been saying is that everything's peachy and this will turnaround on its own. To fix a problem, first someone has to admit there's a problem. I'm wondering if the Texans will get that far. What I fear is the Texans following your line of thinking.

utahmark
09-22-2013, 09:18 PM

I would of loved Harbaugh in 2011. We were not getting him so who was your second choice. I don't think Kubiak is the best coach in the league and I think his system is getting kinda dated. But I do think he is above average and I think if we get rid of him odds are not great that we would get someone better. I don't want a change just to change. We are a winning and I sure don't want to go back to losing. We keep getting into the playoff's we just might win the big one.

I'll stick with our GM. I think he is one of the top guys in the league.

utahmark
09-22-2013, 09:19 PM
That's true. But the Ravens didn't just sit back and hope things got better. They identified their problem and made a pretty drastic move in changing OCs in season. I think what you've been saying is that everything's peachy and this will turnaround on its own. To fix a problem, first someone has to admit there's a problem. I'm wondering if the Texans will get that far. What I fear is the Texans following your line of thinking.

I'm not sure you know what my line of thinking is.lol Good post otherwise.

What change would you make?

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with Kubiak's offensive system. It's effective. His problem right now is his predictability in play calling in certain circumstances and his decision to marry himself to Matt Schaub. He can fix those things and run this same system. The question is: will he actually do that?

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Funny thing is if we would have won, this would not have counted as a quality win, since the Ravens haven't "looked" that great so far. But since we lost, this is "exactly" the kind of game Schaub & Kubiak chokes up for.

Can't just be another loss...... no one expects us to go undefeated, but damn them all to hell if they lose one game.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure you know what my line of thinking is.lol Good post otherwise.

I know you are talking to Lucky, but I will take a crack at that.

First thing I do is bench Matt Schaub. We know what he is capable of and it is just not enough with this current roster. I put in either Yates or Keenum and see what kind of NFL gamers they are. Second, I go to rock Smith's office and I start talking about acquiring a RT via trade. That's probably a long shot, but I would want to atleast have that conversation. Third, I try to figure out what schematic changes can be made to the defense that will help us better stop elite passing teams, as the problem appear to be more scheme-related than player-based.

Changing the QB is essential. I can't imagine the players have a lot of confidence in Schaub and a change of leadership alone may provide a much needed spark. Additionally, Schaub's play is just not good enough and it's progressively getting worse.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 09:31 PM
The biggest problem I see now is that defenses view Schaub as a sitting duck. So, the first change I would make is going with a more traditional WCO. Short passes on early downs with the backs in pass routes further downfield. That would ease the blitzes that Schaub now has trouble with. It would also allow Foster and Tate to get into the open field more.

If that doesn't work, and Schaub still can't avoid mistakes, I put in Yates. Yates has had problems with mistakes in the past, clearly. But, he can at least move in the pocket and avoid the rush. That's killing this team. A more mobile QB would put the PA bootleg back in the game plan.

TexansSeminole
09-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Funny thing is if we would have won, this would not have counted as a quality win, since the Ravens haven't "looked" that great so far. But since we lost, this is "exactly" the kind of game Schaub & Kubiak chokes up for.

Can't just be another loss...... no one expects us to go undefeated, but damn them all to hell if they lose one game.

It's not just the one game. We were outplayed in the SD game, heavily in the first half. Rivers made a very poor throw over the middle of the field that completely changed that game. If not for that, we'd have lost. You can't count on the other team to screw up. We also looked bad against Tennessee.

This really isn't about one game, look at how we played at the end of the year last year. Schaub was terrible and our defense got annihilated by the patriots passing attack. These problems are continuing into this season.

utahmark
09-22-2013, 09:38 PM

First thing I do is bench Matt Schaub. We know what he is capable of and it is just not enough with this current roster. I put in either Yates or Keenum and see what kind of NFL gamers they are. Second, I go to rock Smith's office and I start talking about acquiring a RT via trade. That's probably a long shot, but I would want to atleast have that conversation. Third, I try to figure out what schematic changes can be made to the defense that will help us better stop elite passing teams, as the problem appear to be more scheme-related than player-based.

Changing the QB is essential. I can't imagine the players have a lot of confidence in Schaub and a change of leadership alone may provide a much needed spark. Additionally, Schaub's play is just not good enough and it's progressively getting worse.

I think the defense is running more zone this year(just from listening to the announcers). As for Schaub I still think he is the best guy we have on the roster. I don't think our future qb is on the team. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. Trades don't seem to happen much in the NFL but I'm all for trying our o-line is playing pretty bad.

Right now I wouldn't do much of anything. I'm not going to blow up the team after 1 loss. Ask me in a couple of weeks and I might change my tune. I wouldn't wait till we are 2 and 6 to do something.

Texian
09-22-2013, 09:39 PM
I would of loved Harbaugh in 2011. We were not getting him so who was your second choice. I don't think Kubiak is the best coach in the league and I think his system is getting kinda dated. But I do think he is above average and I think if we get rid of him odds are not great that we would get someone better. I don't want a change just to change. We are a winning and I sure don't want to go back to losing. We keep getting into the playoff's we just might win the big one.

I'll stick with our GM. I think he is one of the top guys in the league.

I didn't have a 2nd choice, I don't believe in changing coaches for sake of change, only if there is a better alternative, Harbaugh was and so is David Shaw. Kubiak's decision to hire Frank Bush w/o interviewing one of several successful DC available told me Kubiak commitment to friends exceeded his commitment to excellence. IMHO Kubiak coaches soft. Some of Kubiak's success has come at the expense of Peyton Manning's broken neck and Jeff Fisher's departure from Tenn. Today those teams are much much better, and getting better every year. They have lots of money and no real salary cap problems.

Rick Smith is a GM in the mold of Scott Pioli. When Scott was in New England not Kansas City. Like the way Pioli was Belichick right hand man Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand man. Kubiak has full control and final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract.

Txn_in_Oki
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
I just think it's a little early to start talking about getting rid of our coach, kicker and qb. Really good teams can have problems early in the season is where I was going with that. I think Baltimore lost this game last year and it didn't turn out to bad for them. And yes, they looked at least as bad(in their loss to us last year) as we did today.

I know we can go back to how Baltimore looked at this time last year. We can also look at Giants teams in the past that come around in December and blow everyone's doors off. The complaint with this team is, and always has been the coach and to a lesser degree the QB. They don't seem to have that special something that is going to set the league on fire.

I'm too lazy to link to it, but in the Chron they had a quote from Kubiak that said "We battled back and got a field goal". That's it? A field goal? This team is killing me and I hate to see a great player like AJ get dragged down with it.

It's on me... that's all we ever seem to hear. I look at the Division and after only a couple years the Titans look reloaded and ready to go. The Colts had one down year and are already all over it again.

I hate to be a downer three weeks into the season but damn... These next few weeks are going to be super brutal.

utahmark
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
The biggest problem I see now is that defenses view Schaub as a sitting duck. So, the first change I would make is going with a more traditional WCO. Short passes on early downs with the backs in pass routes further downfield. That would ease the blitzes that Schaub now has trouble with. It would also allow Foster and Tate to get into the open field more.

If that doesn't work, and Schaub still can't avoid mistakes, I put in Yates. Yates has had problems with mistakes in the past, clearly. But, he can at least move in the pocket and avoid the rush. That's killing this team. A more mobile QB would put the PA bootleg back in the game plan.

That seems reasonable. I would be fine with all of that.

utahmark
09-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I didn't have a 2nd choice, I don't believe in changing coaches for sake of change, only if there is a better alternative, Harbaugh was and so is David Shaw. Kubiak's decision to hire Frank Bush w/o interviewing one of several successful DC available told me Kubiak commitment to friends exceeded his commitment to excellence. IMHO Kubiak coaches soft. Some of Kubiak's success has come at the expense of Peyton Manning's broken neck and Jeff Fisher's departure from Tenn. Today those teams are much much better, and getting better every year. They have lots of money and no real salary cap problems.

Rick Smith is a GM in the mold of Scott Pioli. When Scott was in New England not Kansas City. Like the way Pioli was Belichick right hand man Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand man. Kubiak has full control and final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract.

Your not always going to get your first choice and you have to fire your guy before you find out who you get. I liked Harbaugh too. So did everyone and he got to basically choose where he wanted to coach. You got to have a second choice or maybe you would of stuck with Kubiak as well?

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Would you then be ok with going 8-8 & changing QBs every week? Surely either Yates or Keenum will do better than that but worse case scenario...

I'm stubborn & I think this is a Championship team with Schaub. Not so much with the other two. I think McNair & Kubiak think the same way so I'm sure we won't see that change. But if I was positive Schaub could not win the Super Bowl I'd make that change now.

I'd also be ok with the possibility of going 8-8, then I'd know we don't have our QB on our roster today.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 10:01 PM
It's not just the one game. We were outplayed in the SD game, heavily in the first half. Rivers made a very poor throw over the middle of the field that completely changed that game. If not for that, we'd have lost. You can't count on the other team to screw up. We also looked bad against Tennessee.

We just paid that guy a crap load of money. I prefer to call that an amazing play by an amazing player.

This really isn't about one game, look at how we played at the end of the year last year. Schaub was terrible and our defense got annihilated by the patriots passing attack. These problems are continuing into this season.

Schaub has not played terribly... Well, not that terribly this year. This is not a continuation of last year.

I'm not saying we don't have problems. I'm saying we've got time to work it out & I believe we have the people in place to get it fixed. Although I do like that idea about trading for a RT.

Shaft75
09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNe7x13q2MU

Texian
09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Your not always going to get your first choice and you have to fire your guy before you find out who you get. I liked Harbaugh too. So did everyone and he got to basically choose where he wanted to coach. You got to have a second choice or maybe you would of stuck with Kubiak as well?

Not everyone liked Harbaugh. In fact there were more who did not care for him. Many thought he was just another college coach w/ limited experience who would turnout like Petrino or Saban when he was with Miami. I received a lot of negative feedback each time I brought up Harbaugh's name.

There are back channels, an owner can negotiate with a coach's agent without any public awareness and then go through the formalities once a deal is done. If you get your guy GREAT, if not, no harm no foul.

steelbtexan
09-22-2013, 10:32 PM

With Schaub's foot problems, I fear this is as good as it's going to get.

steelbtexan
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Would you then be ok with going 8-8 & changing QBs every week? Surely either Yates or Keenum will do better than that but worse case scenario...

I'm stubborn & I think this is a Championship team with Schaub. Not so much with the other two. I think McNair & Kubiak think the same way so I'm sure we won't see that change. But if I was positive Schaub could not win the Super Bowl I'd make that change now.

I'd also be ok with the possibility of going 8-8, then I'd know we don't have our QB on our roster today.

I dont think you can win a SB with Gary/Schaub and every game yr spent on them is another wasted. But I've felt this way about Gary since 2009 and Schaub since his foot injury.

So yes, I'm for giving T.J. and Case a look this season and see if they can be the answer. If not then drafting a QB becomes priority #1. This will never happen due to the brilliant contract extention Rick with Gary's blessings gave Schaub.

Premier
09-22-2013, 11:19 PM
How can you claim to be objective and completely ignore the problems the defense has had in stopping people when they need to? KJ by himself has already subsidized at least 2 critical scoring drives in 2 different games with penalties and bad coverage.....yet i dont here you railing on him about that like you've been railing on schaub about his pick 6's.

And I can refer to "stretches" too where the offense played well in the 1st 2 games too....The fact that you have to refer to " stretches" says it all about the defense.

Furthermore, It doezn't matter how it happened or how many points they put the team behind... they gave it up and they needed the offense to go get it back...and the offense did it the 1st 2 games...they failed this week.

I'm not " deflecting" anything...there's plenty of the blame to go around.

im not ignoring any problems of the defense just calling your bs where you seem to be passing all the blame to the defense and seem to be rewriting history to make it seem like the defense gave up some insurmountable lead to tennessee and schaub willed us back to victory, when it was actually schaub who gave the titans the big lead.. now today youre focusing on kareem on some ticky tack bs that even the announcers were questioning. a couple of deep plays and PI calls and its on the defense?? defense gave up 13 points.. how is this on the defense at all when your qb stalls twice from 1st & goal and throws a pick6.. i swear its never schaubs fault..

BullNation4Life
09-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Did you watch the 49ers today?

Saw the Colts put a beat down on them...

I was referring to John Harbaugh, the Super Bowl winning coach, not that blow hard in SF who cant decide if he wants his QB to run or throw...

TexansSeminole
09-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Would you then be ok with going 8-8 & changing QBs every week?

I'd be ok with us seeing what Yates or Keenum have to offer and going 8-8. If we don't make the playoffs, I don't care what our record is. Schaub is simply not going to take us anywhere.

Vinny
09-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I'd be ok with us seeing what Yates or Keenum have to offer and going 8-8. If we don't make the playoffs, I don't care what our record is. Schaub is simply not going to take us anywhere.
we used to call this kind of era as the "Commander Cody" era back in the day.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 02:59 AM
I guess you guys aren't watching the same team I am. This team is not good at all. We can stop the run and we can run the ball. That's all we got. It's not a knee jerk reaction because we are 10 quarters into the season.

we lost 3 of the last 4 last season after starting the season looking like a no doubt SB champion. We have started slow this season which is good IMO. I would rather us hit our stride mid to the end of the season. This is not an 8-8 team.

Every season we see this team drop an egg and yesterday was just that. We will be fine, and as far as Harris goes i thought he did a damn good job yesterday, Newton on the other hand has struggled all season. When Brown comes back Harris needs to take Newtons spot cause that boy is getting beat every other play.

TexansSeminole
09-23-2013, 05:12 AM
we lost 3 of the last 4 last season after starting the season looking like a no doubt SB champion. We have started slow this season which is good IMO. I would rather us hit our stride mid to the end of the season. This is not an 8-8 team.

Every season we see this team drop an egg and yesterday was just that. We will be fine, and as far as Harris goes i thought he did a damn good job yesterday, Newton on the other hand has struggled all season. When Brown comes back Harris needs to take Newtons spot cause that boy is getting beat every other play.

I don't understand the whole, "it's better that we start slow" nonsense. Sure, you'd like to get better over the course of the season, but the team doesn't need to play poorly in the beginning of the season for that to happen.

Harris was getting beat left and right yesterday. As many penalties as we had, we could have had more. Both tackles were holding on nearly every pass play.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 05:35 AM
I don't understand the whole, "it's better that we start slow" nonsense. Sure, you'd like to get better over the course of the season, but the team doesn't need to play poorly in the beginning of the season for that to happen.

Harris was getting beat left and right yesterday. As many penalties as we had, we could have had more. Both tackles were holding on nearly every pass play.

And JJ watt gets held pretty much every play, my whole point is that as bad as we are playing right now, we are still (2-1) and we have beaten 2 pretty damn good teams. We layed a goose egg against the ravens, whoopty doo. If we are bad then Green Bay must be the appitimy of bad.

TexansSeminole
09-23-2013, 05:42 AM
And JJ watt gets held pretty much every play, my whole point is that as bad as we are playing right now, we are still (2-1) and we have beaten 2 pretty damn good teams. We layed a goose egg against the ravens, whoopty doo. If we are bad then Green Bay must be the appitimy of bad.

Does that have anything to do with the play of our tackles? Does JJ Watt getting held determine how often our tackles hold, or does GB's poor defense reflect at all on our team?

I also think our first 3 games may be 3 of our easier games, obviously excluding the two Jacksonville games.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Does that have anything to do with the play of our tackles? Does JJ Watt getting held determine how often our tackles hold, or does GB's poor defense reflect at all on our team?

I also think our first 3 games may be 3 of our easier games, obviously excluding the two Jacksonville games.

my point of it is, that holding takes place all the time, and if you watch 2 players closely of course you are going to see them holding a lot, just like if u watch JJ alot you will see them hold him all the time.

And our first 2 games we won looked easy to start BUT look at what those teams have been doing all season so far they are pretty stout.

TexansSeminole
09-23-2013, 05:57 AM
my point of it is, that holding takes place all the time, and if you watch 2 players closely of course you are going to see them holding a lot, just like if u watch JJ alot you will see them hold him all the time.

And our first 2 games we won looked easy to start BUT look at what those teams have been doing all season so far they are pretty stout.

San Diego is 1-2, beat a 1-2 Philly team by three points. They lost to Tennessee on a hail mary type of throw.

Tennessee is 2-1, beat a poor 0-3 Pittsburg team in an ugly 16-9 game. They beat San Diego on a hail mary play, as I stated.

Baltimore is 2-1, beat a lowly 1-2 Cleveland team 14-6. They got annihilated by Denver.

I would hardly describe these teams as having "stout" years thus far.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 06:07 AM
San Diego is 1-2, beat a 1-2 Philly team by three points. They lost to Tennessee on a hail mary type of throw.

Tennessee is 2-1, beat a poor 0-3 Pittsburg team in an ugly 16-9 game. They beat San Diego on a hail mary play, as I stated.

Baltimore is 2-1, beat a lowly 1-2 Cleveland team 14-6. They got annihilated by Denver.

I would hardly describe these teams as having "stout" years thus far.

So you say all hope is lost for this team, is that correct ?

TexansSeminole
09-23-2013, 06:09 AM
So you say all hope is lost for this team, is that correct ?

We were talking about the teams we have played, remember? You described them as stout, I just posted their results from the season thus far. Any explanation on why those three teams are being described as stout by you?

silvrhand
09-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Room to improve but our schedule doesn't seem to get any better. We have to pull it together after about 6-8 games and go on a streak or we are done. One this for sure, we can't go 3 for 12 on 3rd down conversions and be successful.

3rd down efficiency
3-12

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 06:42 AM
So yes, I'm for giving T.J. and Case a look this season and see if they can be the answer. If not then drafting a QB becomes priority #1. This will never happen due to the brilliant contract extention Rick with Gary's blessings gave Schaub.

That brilliant extension does exactly that. Schaub can be culled at the end of the season & cost the Texans nothing in 2014 cap dollars.

However, understand that benching Schaub at any time during the season will reset the Kubiak clock. If you're willing to go 8-8 testing Tj & Keenum (I am) surely McNair is.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 06:53 AM
We were talking about the teams we have played, remember? You described them as stout, I just posted their results from the season thus far. Any explanation on why those three teams are being described as stout by you?

you started the thread saying this is 8-8 or worse team remember.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 06:53 AM

I believe the mature teams, with mature offenses should be able to start strong as the year begins & continue throughout the year getting better as they work in new players & new tweaks to their scheme.

We saw the mature Texans start strong last year, while everyone else was learning to gel. It fell apart at the end, just too many injuries.... Schaub, Sharpton never got right, Newton played hurt from week 13 I think, it wasn't just Sharpton but we had a carousel of ILBs going on there... had to sign guys off the street. Glover was playing hurt since Detroit I think.... it all just kept adding up & we never really found our groove.

This year I don't know what's going on. Andre, OD, Matt, Arian, Brown, Myers..... that should be enough offense to keep us in most games, but it "looks" anemic when you get down to the nutt cutting. DeAndre looks like a bright spot... & the only thing "really" hurting us are some bad decisions by the HC & the QB.

TexansSeminole
09-23-2013, 07:24 AM

I thought all that was already covered. Look at the thread title...

I still don't understand how the teams we played look stout thus far.

Uncle Rico
09-23-2013, 09:12 AM
My main concern is that they ended last year on an inconsistent streak and thus far this year are very inconsistent. This is a veteran team that shouldnt have to get better as the year goes on, they should be validating the "superbowl or bust" mantra and instead they keep making the same mistakes over and over. I'm not jumping off a cliff yet, but I will hold my tongue when trying to argue the Texans as contenders until they show that they can play more consistently.

eriadoc
09-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I would like to apologize for ridiculing this POV, even if only silently to myself. 8-8 looks like a real possibility now. All the good things they did in week one (aggressive playcalling) seems to have faded away, while all the bad things from week one (and two) seems to have carried through.

And well ... you know .... Schaub.

mridge01
09-23-2013, 09:28 AM
stupid thread and its even more stupid that you prefaced youre stupid thought with, this is not a knee jerk reaction :kubepalm:

In my opinion it's pretty stupid not to see what's been going on with this team the first 3 weeks and assume they're fine. They will struggle to make the playoffs, and then the Bengals will be ready this time around.

mridge01
09-23-2013, 09:29 AM

I like your first tag line about praying for your enemies. The second... what a joke.

The1ApplePie
09-23-2013, 09:30 AM
The Texans are going to be gifted two wins by the Jags, and probably one more by the Titans. The Texans have a strong chance in any other game they are in.

The team sucks against elite talent. It did last year and the year before that. I think they can still win a Super Bowl, but the team is flawed.

The defense is JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, and a bunch of scrubs in the front seven. The corners are one of the best tandems in football, but there are no pass rushers.

The Texans are above average or good. What should concern us as fans should not be teams like the Broncos or Patriots, but the young teams like the Colts and Bengals, who are coming on very strong.

HTown2ATX
09-23-2013, 09:35 AM
The Texans are going to be gifted two wins by the Jags, and probably one more by the Titans.

Unfortunately if ANY team can anal spray a game away against the Jags it unfortunately IS the Texans so I don't count those as locks. Hope you're right and on paper yeah, should be money in the bank but you know what I'm saying.

I can't read the Titans now if they are bad or not.

steelbtexan
09-23-2013, 09:47 AM
That brilliant extension does exactly that. Schaub can be culled at the end of the season & cost the Texans nothing in 2014 cap dollars.

However, understand that benching Schaub at any time during the season will reset the Kubiak clock. If you're willing to go 8-8 testing Tj & Keenum (I am) surely McNair is.

Show me where it will cost zero cap $$$$ in 2014 to cut Schaub. I've seen people post this, but according to what I've read on Spotrac this doesn't appear to be the case.

Since Gary is HC of the Houston Texans for life. I'm OK with resetting the clock. Who says they wil go 8-8? T.J/Case could come in and play better than Schaub. It wouldn't take much.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 10:00 AM
In my opinion it's pretty stupid not to see what's been going on with this team the first 3 weeks and assume they're fine. They will struggle to make the playoffs, and then the Bengals will be ready this time around.

If you saw what was going on the first 2 weeks & knew everything was not fine, why are you taking this loss so hard?

Should have known we were going to struggle. Should have known we weren't going to blow the Ravens out of the water. Should have known there was a good possibility we would lose this game.

I had no idea the Dolphins were going to beat the Falcons. Well, I think I heard Jones & White were questionable.... still don't know if they played. But that was the only chance I thought they had.

I had no idea the 49ers would get spanked at home.

I had no idea the Packers were going to lose to the Bengals..

I had no idea the Giants were going to get shut out.

I had no doubt the Patriots would beat the Bucs...... I caution those fans for getting overly excited.

I had no doubt New Orleans was going to trash the Cardinals.

I had no doubt the Seahawks were going to kill the Jags.

The only reason to be as upset today about what happened yesterday is if you thought the Texans were going to go to M&T & own the Ravens. Knowing that we aren't playing particularly well & that we've never beat the Ravens at M&T this is just another game. This is "what should have happened." This is a "don't panic.... it's just one loss"

Unless you ignored what was happening the first two weeks of the season.

handswarmer
09-23-2013, 10:06 AM
If you saw what was going on the first 2 weeks & knew everything was not fine, why are you taking this loss so hard?

Should have known we were going to struggle. Should have known we weren't going to blow the Ravens out of the water. Should have known there was a good possibility we would lose this game.

I had no idea the Dolphins were going to beat the Falcons. Well, I think I heard Jones & White were questionable.... still don't know if they played. But that was the only chance I thought they had.

I had no idea the 49ers would get spanked at home.

I had no idea the Packers were going to lose to the Bengals..

I had no idea the Giants were going to get shut out.

I had no doubt the Patriots would beat the Bucs...... I caution those fans for getting overly excited.

I had no doubt New Orleans was going to trash the Cardinals.

I had no doubt the Seahawks were going to kill the Jags.

The only reason to be as upset today about what happened yesterday is if you thought the Texans were going to go to M&T & own the Ravens. Knowing that we aren't playing particularly well & that we've never beat the Ravens at M&T this is just another game. This is "what should have happened." This is a "don't panic.... it's just one loss"

Unless you ignored what was happening the first two weeks of the season.

Welcome to "Overreaction September"!!!

Well said- no one knows from one week to another what will happen until each team establishes an identity which takes 3-4-5 weeks...

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Show me where it will cost zero cap $$$$ in 2014 to cut Schaub. I've seen people post this, but according to what I've read on Spotrac this doesn't appear to be the case.

Sport trac is linking this page (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/) there's no dead money, no cap hit for cutting Matt before the 2014 season. Rick Smith & whatever his name is did a great job on Schaub's contract when you consider Sanchez is getting paid as much to watch Geno Smith from his living room. Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, & Joe Flacco are $100M dollar men.

Since Gary is HC of the Houston Texans for life. I'm OK with resetting the clock. Who says they wil go 8-8? T.J/Case could come in and play better than Schaub. It wouldn't take much.

I said worse case scenario. I'm sure those guys will look great when everything is working. But how are they going to react to being a starting QB in the NFL. It's not as easy as Matt makes it look.

I want nothing more than for us to find a QB that can win us a Super Bowl. I don't care if his name is Matt, Taylor, or Case..... I'd be fine moving on from Matt Schaub, but I don't think that's where we're at right now.

handswarmer
09-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Sport trac is linking this page (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/) there's no dead money, no cap hit for cutting Matt before the 2014 season. Rick Smith & whatever his name is did a great job on Schaub's contract when you consider Sanchez is getting paid as much to watch Geno Smith from his living room. Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, & Joe Flacco are $100M dollar men.

I said worse case scenario. I'm sure those guys will look great when everything is working. But how are they going to react to being a starting QB in the NFL. It's not as easy as Matt makes it look.

I want nothing more than for us to find a QB that can win us a Super Bowl. I don't care if his name is Matt, Taylor, or Case..... I'd be fine moving on from Matt Schaub, but I don't think that's where we're at right now.

This http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2013 says there is 21M in dead money on Shaub right now and 10.5 cap hit to cut him....

Next year http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2014 its a 4M savings

If I read this correctly- I could be confused though...

Lucky
09-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Sport trac is linking this page (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/) there's no dead money, no cap hit for cutting Matt before the 2014 season.
Texans would "save" $4 million versus the cap if they cut Schaub next offseason. But, they would still be on the hook for $10.5 million in bonus allocation, or dead money.

If Schaub on 2014 roster - $10 million salary + $1 million game bonuses + $3.5 million signing bonus allocation = $14.5 million cap hit

If Schaub is not on 2014 roster - Remaining signing bonus allocation (3 years x $3.5 million) = $10.5 million

Net Cap Savings by cutting Schaub after 2013 season = $14.5 million - $10.5 million = $4 million

cstyle42
09-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Texans would "save" $4 million versus the cap if they cut Schaub next offseason. But, they would still be on the hook for $10.5 million in bonus allocation, or dead money.

If Schaub on 2014 roster - $10 million salary + $1 million game bonuses + $3.5 million signing bonus allocation = $14.5 million cap hit

If Schaub is not on 2014 roster - Remaining signing bonus allocation (3 years x $3.5 million) = $10.5 million

Net Cap Savings by cutting Schaub after 2013 season = $14.5 million - $10.5 million = $4 million

Now we're talking! Good info. I hope we can get a new qb at least it is just too important and crucial to winning a super bowl. Patriots had all the injuries and drama but are still 3-0. Bill and Brady is the foundation and its strong. Our foundation is kubiak and schaub that's pretty weak.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks. I knew I was looking at something wrong.

kingtexan
09-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Then we need to trade him to a team that will take the hit?

Is that a possibility?

Trade him for anything ... a practice squad player ... a 7th ... anything.

Otherwise let him go and take the hit and move on. He is not a leader, he is not a good QB, even his former team-mates say he "sulks" when things don't go right. Time to cut the waste and move on.

To address the OP point, I will be happy with 8-8 if Schaub remains the starter based on how we've performed.

Premier
09-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Otherwise let him go and take the hit and move on. He is not a leader, he is not a good QB, even his former team-mates say he "sulks" when things don't go right. Time to cut the waste and move on.

this might be 3 or 4 years too late.. weve wasted so much time waiting for something from ths guy thats not there.. now were pretty much in too deep. unless we bring in a vet, bringing in a rookie next year admits were starting over and just basically wasted dres prime years.. we wont be an elite, feared team until we have an elite qb..

Hopefully it'll be embarassing like last year's Bears game & we still get the W.

how was that one embarassing?? it was a hard fought defensive struggle. that SF game might get embarassing like the packers game on national tv. this team has a a history of looking completely unprepared just as the hype train is rolling at full speed.. every year it happens..

amazing80
09-23-2013, 07:29 PM

I agree and I have my own laundry list of problems, but to say were a sub 500 team, stupid.

kingtexan
09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
this might be 3 or 4 years too late.. weve wasted so much time waiting for something from ths guy thats not there.. now were pretty much in too deep. unless we bring in a vet, bringing in a rookie next year admits were starting over and just basically wasted dres prime years.. we wont be an elite, feared team until we have an elite qb..

Cant say that anymore with what has happened in recent history with rookie QB's just walking in and succeeding. I want to see what Keenum and Hopkins can do. We have already wasted Dre's best years, lets give him a chance to get a ring off of talent and hunger of others. Nothing against Yates, I just see the fire in Cases's eyes ... he wants it real bad every snap. No plays off like ...

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 08:01 PM
how was that one embarassing??

It wasn't. That was the point. Wolverine made it sound like we always get embarrassed on the road at night.

Texan_Bill
09-23-2013, 08:06 PM

No bro, this is a complete knee-jerk reaction!

Like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. The Texans are an ugly 2-1. When the Texans reach the playoffs, no one will remember that the first 3 games they looked like shyte. They'll just remember being 2-1 after the first 3 weeks. AND 3-1 after the Seahawks game! ;)

kingtexan
09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
No bro, this is a complete knee-jerk reaction!

Like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. The Texans are an ugly 2-1. When the Texans reach the playoffs, no one will remember that the first 3 games they looked like shyte. They'll just remember being 2-1 after the first 3 weeks. AND 3-1 after the Seahawks game! ;)

Have to love that positive attitude! Of course we all know you're drunk, but gotta love it! :texanbill:

Lucky
09-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Then we need to trade him to a team that will take the hit?

Is that a possibility?
No, the Texans take the cap hit whether Schaub is cut or traded. There is no "Get out of cap hit free" card.

jasonotc
09-24-2013, 09:09 AM
This http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2013 says there is 21M in dead money on Shaub right now and 10.5 cap hit to cut him....

Next year http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Texans&Year=2014 its a 4M savings

If I read this correctly- I could be confused though...

I run the OTC site and you are correct with the way you interpret it, which I think Lucky pointed out below as well. We maintain dead money estimates for every player and every year so that is why there is a discrepancy between our figures and Spotracs.

If the Texans were to release Schaub (and I dont think they would unless the team completely fell apart, because who would you replace him with) next year they could consider designating him a June 1 cut. What would happen is the Texans would carry his full cap hit until June 1. At that point his cap number would fall from $14 million to just $3.5 million with the $7 million balance being accounted for in 2015.

If the Texans were serious about wanting to move him they should see if a team like the Bucs or Browns would be interested in trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

kingtexan
09-24-2013, 09:11 AM
No, the Texans take the cap hit whether Schaub is cut or traded. There is no "Get out of cap hit free" card.

OK, cut him.

Cap hit be damned, he is a liability.

76Texan
09-24-2013, 09:24 AM

If the Texans trade Schaub today, the remaining signing bonus money that is still on the book will remain; however, his base salary of $7.25M will be prorated.

Schaub only earns 3/16th of that amount.
The Texans can choose to go with just two QBs and save all that money (some $6M this year.

They can use that money on a veteran QB or at any other position.

EllisUnit
09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I like your first tag line about praying for your enemies. The second... what a joke.

Thanks, its from we were soldiers

And the 2nd one is no joke my friend ;)

busterspencer
09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
lol. I was worried that today was going to unfold this way. Hardly anyone was giving baltimore any respect around here for the ravens front 7, and the duane brown injury was the worst timing with this stretch coming up. Now its knee jerk meltdown mode for the next month.

please can we wait 2 more weeks before you put a rip on my texans. I honestly believe they will be in the playoffs. I am not jumping off of the bridge yet.

handswarmer
09-25-2013, 08:51 AM
I run the OTC site and you are correct with the way you interpret it, which I think Lucky pointed out below as well. We maintain dead money estimates for every player and every year so that is why there is a discrepancy between our figures and Spotracs.

If the Texans were to release Schaub (and I dont think they would unless the team completely fell apart, because who would you replace him with) next year they could consider designating him a June 1 cut. What would happen is the Texans would carry his full cap hit until June 1. At that point his cap number would fall from $14 million to just $3.5 million with the $7 million balance being accounted for in 2015.

If the Texans were serious about wanting to move him they should see if a team like the Bucs or Browns would be interested in trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

Being as the Texans traded a 2nd for him to Atlanta and he has less tread on the tire, I couldn't see more than a 4th for him. Maybe the Bucs throw in Josh Freeman- Schiano is not a fan of his...

buddyboy
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Being as the Texans traded a 2nd for him to Atlanta and he has less tread on the tire, I couldn't see more than a 4th for him. Maybe the Bucs throw in Josh Freeman- Schiano is not a fan of his...

The Texans actually traded two 2nd rounders for Schaub. Does that mean we get two 4th rounders?

handswarmer
09-25-2013, 09:24 AM
The Texans actually traded two 2nd rounders for Schaub. Does that mean we get two 4th rounders?

wow- I forgot about that- thought it was 1 2nd...but it was two and Houston flip flopped 1st rd picks with atl....

Tailgate
09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
please can we wait 2 more weeks before you put a rip on my texans. I honestly believe they will be in the playoffs. I am not jumping off of the bridge yet.

I actually have us losing next 2, before fighting our way back into a heated playoff race w late season games vs Pats, Broncos, and Titans being pivitol.

Its gonna be a dog fight.

DX-TEX
09-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I actually have us losing next 2, before fighting our way back into a heated playoff race w late season games vs Pats, Broncos, and Titans being pivitol.

Its gonna be a dog fight.

Don't agree. We lose the next two and the fan uproar will be cataclysmic. McNair knows about positive public perception and will quietly force some change.

Texanmike02
09-29-2013, 01:33 PM
It was week 3. First half of week 4 looks different, second half of week 4 might look like week 3 or it might look like week 5 of last season. No matter what happens in weeks prior to about 12 it doesn't mean much.

That is all.

Mike

TexansSeminole
09-29-2013, 03:40 PM
The defense played a fantastic football game and the offense completely gives the game away. We had the Seahawks flustered and playing poorly, yet we still cannot win against a good team.

I like Kubiak and his offensive system, but if he doesn't bench Schaub at this point, he is digging his own grave.

htownfan32
09-29-2013, 03:41 PM
The defense played a fantastic football game and the offense completely gives the game away. We had the Seahawks flustered and playing poorly, yet we still cannot win against a good team.

I like Kubiak and his offensive system, but if he doesn't bench Schaub at this point, he is digging his own grave.

Didn't agree with you before, but now I do, and with the bolded and what's after it too.

Rey
09-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Well kubiak is saying that he called a bad play so it don't know what he's really thinking.

midway
09-29-2013, 05:23 PM
I agree and I have my own laundry list of problems, but to say were a sub 500 team, stupid.

you might want to actually watch us play then.

gafftop
09-29-2013, 05:33 PM
If the Texans trade Schaub today, the remaining signing bonus money that is still on the book will remain; however, his base salary of $7.25M will be prorated.

Schaub only earns 3/16th of that amount.
The Texans can choose to go with just two QBs and save all that money (some $6M this year.

They can use that money on a veteran QB or at any other position.

I don't think any team would take MS in a trade. The good ones or wanna be good ones already have better. The building teams don't want an older high priced QB. Who do you think would trade for MS and what would we get in return or have to give?

drs23
09-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Don't agree. We lose the next two and the fan uproar will be cataclysmic. McNair knows about positive public perception and will quietly force some change.

This thought has been rolling around the recesses of my mind as well. I wouldn't be surprised after another pick-6 today. I wouldn't be surprised by status quo either.

fiasco west
09-29-2013, 06:34 PM
They can still turn this ship around.

The division looks tough but Tennesse has Seattle and KC the next two games and the status of Locker is up in the air all of a sudden.

I think it looks bad now but looking back over it, we are going through the toughest part of the schedule and we hung tough with who many consider the best team in the NFL. If only our QB wasn't throwing a pick 6 every game...

I guess, we'll see how Tenn does against the meat of their schedule and Indy still has to play seattle next week I think. We could be in the lead for the division next Sunday with a win. Figuring our QB doesn't throw his now weekly pick 6 that is.

mridge01
09-29-2013, 09:41 PM
I agree with the OP. This season is a sinking ship.

handswarmer
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
They can still turn this ship around.

The division looks tough but Tennesse has Seattle and KC the next two games and the status of Locker is up in the air all of a sudden.

I think it looks bad now but looking back over it, we are going through the toughest part of the schedule and we hung tough with who many consider the best team in the NFL. If only our QB wasn't throwing a pick 6 every game...

I guess, we'll see how Tenn does against the meat of their schedule and Indy still has to play seattle next week I think. We could be in the lead for the division next Sunday with a win. Figuring our QB doesn't throw his now weekly pick 6 that is.

I'll take luck vs Seattle.

Seattle vs Tenn w/wo Locker is a beatdown waiting to happen for Tenn

YeaLikeRightNow
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I agree with the OP. This season is a sinking ship.

Yup...unless there is an EPIC turnaround of majestical proportions, this team is destined for heartbreak.

thunderkyss
09-30-2013, 11:40 AM
I'll take luck vs Seattle.

Regardless how much sense this makes, or doesn't make... no one will say anything similar about our QB.

"I'll take Schaub vs Jacksonville." :thinking:

The1ApplePie
09-30-2013, 12:36 PM
The worst news is that the Colts closed the gab quickly. They are also young in most key spots, which doesn't really look good for the Texans.

They good thing that the Texans having going is that they also have plenty of young playmakers, like Watt and Hopkins. They are a long way from the old man Steelers, which look geriatric at this point.

YeaLikeRightNow
09-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Texans finish 7-9 this season...the good news: I don't think they will do an worse.

handswarmer
10-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Regardless how much sense this makes, or doesn't make... no one will say anything similar about our QB.

"I'll take Schaub vs Jacksonville." :thinking:

That's what happens when you are the "Herpes QB"....(the Gift that keeps on Giving)

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 09:43 AM
That's what happens when you are the "Herpes QB"....(the Gift that keeps on Giving)

For some reason it doesn't sound as funny coming from a Ravens fan.

& I'm not talking about his jersey number.

TexansSeminole
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Anybody doubting this at this point?

hradhak
10-06-2013, 10:27 PM
The Ravens at this point last season were looking terrible. They managed to turn it around. I'm not sure what we can do to turn it around short of shaking up the coaching staff. It's not going to happen, but I wonder what McNair is thinking at this point.

htownfan32
10-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Anybody doubting this at this point?

Nope, and I think 8-8 might be generous.

Well, at least we'll get a high pick.

TexansSeminole
10-21-2013, 05:28 PM
So, what is the projection now for our record?

It looks like we may be getting better QB play with Keenum, assuming we actually let him play again and don't play Schaub, but we have massive injuries.

Foster has a hamstring, Tate has four broken ribs, we cut our 3rd running back, Duane Brown has been dealing with some kind of injury all year, Owen Daniels is still out for awhile, Cushing is out for the year, and Manning is out for the majority of the season. We also cut two of our backup OLBs and our starters aren't exactly studs. Oh, and Newton is still terrible.

It's looking like we may end up with only 5 or 6 wins this year.

WolverineFan
10-21-2013, 05:45 PM
So, what is the projection now for our record?

It looks like we may be getting better QB play with Keenum, assuming we actually let him play again and don't play Schaub, but we have massive injuries.

Foster has a hamstring, Tate has four broken ribs, we cut our 3rd running back, Duane Brown has been dealing with some kind of injury all year, Owen Daniels is still out for awhile, Cushing is out for the year, and Manning is out for the majority of the season. We also cut two of our backup OLBs and our starters aren't exactly studs. Oh, and Newton is still terrible.

It's looking like we may end up with only 5 or 6 wins this year.

8 - BYE
9 - vs. Colts - L
10 - @ Cardinals - W
11 - vs. Raiders - W
12 - vs. Jaguars - W
13 - vs. Patriots - L
14 - @ Jaguars - W
15 - @ Colts - L
16 - vs. Broncos - L
17 - @ Titans - L

6-10

Rey
10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I think case will be the starter. If he is I think we can make this season interesting. If he does the unthinkable then I think we'll lose every game except the jags and maybe beat the cardinals but I doubt it.

YeaLikeRightNow
10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Right now, the team is a steam locomotive heading for derailed tracks on a three-hundred foot high train trestle over a river full of alligators and Piranha. The sudden loss of players over a questionable infraction of rules (from what we are told) shows a short temper coming from an otherwise comatose head coach. There's something underlying that caused such a stir. We may never know the real truth, but I bet the coaching staff is grimacing the loss of Cierre Woods, since he was let go BEFORE the injuries to our pair of starting running backs.

Here's my take:

8 - BYE
9 - vs. Colts - L
10 - @ Cardinals - L
11 - vs. Raiders - W/L
12 - vs. Jaguars - W
13 - vs. Patriots - L
14 - @ Jaguars - L
15 - @ Colts - L
16 - vs. Broncos - L
17 - @ Titans - L

4-12 at best...........

msbbc833
10-21-2013, 06:36 PM
4-12 would give us what, the 5th or so pick in the draft at this rate? I'm cool with that

Nawzer
10-21-2013, 06:40 PM
The worse news is that Kubiak might be back next season due to all of these injuries. McNair may give him one more shot to see what he can do with a healthy team.

Dishman
10-21-2013, 06:45 PM
4-12 would give us what, the 5th or so pick in the draft at this rate? I'm cool with that

I wasn't cool with it last week, and still not cool with it this week, but it may be the only thing to give me some shred of solace.

2slik4u
10-21-2013, 06:50 PM
The worse news is that Kubiak might be back next season due to all of these injuries. McNair may give him one more shot to see what he can do with a healthy team.

I don't think so. It seems like we have been saying this every season. Bottom line - every team faces injuries to key players every season. That's what makes a coach special and proves he is a top tier coach. Kubiak has never been able to show that he is above the median.

I feel confident saying that schaub and kubiak will be gone after this season.

texanhead08
10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Kubiak's pic should be next to the word mediocre in the dictionary. His entire tenure here has been nothing but that.