PDA

View Full Version : Browns want Ben Tate

Playoffs
09-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Browns covet Texans free-agent-to-be RB Ben Tate. Should Cleveland land Tate, it would have him and Indy's first-rd draft pick in place of Richardson.

mattieuk
09-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

*Puts fingers in ears*

I can't hear you I can't hear you..lalalalala.

I hate the idea of losing Tate - especially with Arian's indifferent start to the season.

DocBar
09-22-2013, 12:05 PM
This was the 1st thing I thought when I saw the news

Texanmike02
09-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Won't he be an RFA?

Mike

Texanmike02
09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Love American Express' "Big brother is here to help you" commercial with video cameras watching us. Great....

Mike

TexanSam
09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Won't he be an RFA?

Mike

Texans won't be able to afford him anyway. He's going to get starters money from some team.

NCTexan
09-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Texans won't be able to afford him anyway. He's going to get starters money from some team.

QFT

We knew that going into this season though.

Texecutioner
09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
They can have Foster instead.

silvrhand
09-22-2013, 01:01 PM

trade foster, sign Ben for less. gain a first round pick for a QB.

silvrhand
09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Horrible.. call..

TheIronDuke
09-22-2013, 01:12 PM
We've got Tate's replacement in Cierre Wood. If we can get a first for Tate I'd pull the trigger but that's the least I'd consider.

Texecutioner
09-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Me likes your thoughts here.

DocBar
09-22-2013, 01:15 PM
We've got Tate's replacement in Cierre Wood. If we can get a first for Tate I'd pull the trigger but that's the least I'd consider.Why would they trade for him when they can just sign him in the offseason? Cleveland is looking to stockpile draft picks.

TheIronDuke
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Why would they trade for him when they can just sign him in the offseason? Cleveland is looking to stockpile draft picks.

Yeah, I completely misread the original post. They've been wanting Tate for years now if the reports are true so they'll go hard for him in free agency.

Rey
09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Trade them Arian.

bash
09-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Be happy with what we give you and play chris obenaya (sp)

Hervoyel
09-22-2013, 01:38 PM
I keep Arian and trade Tate. We draft another next year and start over. I seem to be alone in thinking that Tate has nowhere near the kind of elusiveness and vision that Foster shows.

Wood could step into Tate's shoes right now and he wouldn't be that big a drop off. Besides we seem to be casting off pieces due to salary cap issues left and right. A team doing that is going to need to replace those pieces with less expensive draft picks in order to keep up. Time to part with Tate and fill another need.

amazing80
09-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Browns didn't just trade their beast rb for a first to turn around and give it away for tate lol

DocBar
09-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I keep Arian and trade Tate. We draft another next year and start over. I seem to be alone in thinking that Tate has nowhere near the kind of elusiveness and vision that Foster shows.

Wood could step into Tate's shoes right now and he wouldn't be that big a drop off. Besides we seem to be casting off pieces due to salary cap issues left and right. A team doing that is going to need to replace those pieces with less expensive draft picks in order to keep up. Time to part with Tate and fill another need.But you have to have a partner to make a trade. Why would anyone trade for Tate when they know they can have him as an RFA in the offseason? What team do you see out there with playoff expectations that would trade for Tate? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

badboy
09-22-2013, 02:14 PM
But you have to have a partner to make a trade. Why would anyone trade for Tate when they know they can have him as an RFA in the offseason? What team do you see out there with playoff expectations that would trade for Tate? I can't think of one off the top of my head.Because Smith floats he is talking to other teams about Tate trade before deadline.

Texecutioner
09-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Browns didn't just trade their beast rb for a first to turn around and give it away for tate lol

Yes, that would be very silly, but this is also the same stupid team that picked a RB in the top 5 and then turned around and traded him the very next season for a way lower draft pick. That organization isn't exactly one that uses great logic in their decisions.

Brisco_County
09-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Foster has had only three games to hit his stride, and people are talking about trading him. Wow.

badboy
09-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Foster has had only three games to hit his stride, and people are talking about trading him. Wow.I am not evaluating Foster on his 3 games but rather on his history and apparent health. Do you think he will have an off year?

Rey
09-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Foster has been slowly declining every season.

Calling people knee jerks is not a valid counter argument. It's not even an argument really.

Rey
09-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Or it could be the O-Line turnover and the nagging injuries. I think he is still more than capable.

That is fine that you have that opinion. Other people think it could be some other things, including foster himself.

Hervoyel
09-22-2013, 03:55 PM
But you have to have a partner to make a trade. Why would anyone trade for Tate when they know they can have him as an RFA in the offseason? What team do you see out there with playoff expectations that would trade for Tate? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Teams can wait for him to go RFA and hope they get him or they can guarantee they get him with a trade.

PapaL
09-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Even if he hits RFA we can still tender him a 1st right?

ATXtexanfan
09-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Browns want what I want

VTexan
09-22-2013, 04:40 PM
foster has peaked, imo

Lucky
09-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Teams can wait for him to go RFA and hope they get him or they can guarantee they get him with a trade.

Even if he hits RFA we can still tender him a 1st right?

Won't he be an RFA?

Tate will be an unrestricted free agent after this year. The Texans would have to tag him in order to trade Tate after the season.

Brisco_County
09-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Foster has been slowly declining every season.

Calling people knee jerks is not a valid counter argument. It's not even an argument really.

I shouldn't have to explain that the offensive line has declined. That's a given, and it should be considered first before talking about trading our very talented running back after only three games.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
CAnt believe everyone talking about trading foster in an effort to keep a guy who's been hurt and really unable to play for a large portion of his career..

amazing80
09-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Maybe we could trade tate for Haden :D

Rey
09-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I shouldn't have to explain that the offensive line has declined. That's a given, and it should be considered first before talking about trading our very talented running back after only three games.

Right and that makes it even worse. As the OL has declined so has foster.

We should trade high. Let him go while he still has value.

RagingBull
09-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Tate for Joe Thomas straight up. Move DB to the (R) tackle...we would then have a hell of a running game. (Yes I know this sounds VERY Madden, but hey its fun).

axman40
09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Tate for Joe Thomas straight up. Move DB to the (R) tackle...we would then have a hell of a running game. (Yes I know this sounds VERY Madden, but hey its fun).
I am down with Tate for Thomas.
:fans::fans::fans::fans:

2slik4u
09-22-2013, 08:53 PM

I would do this if it was an option. Foster just doesn't seem to have "it" anymore and Tate is running extremely well this season.

Wolf6151
09-22-2013, 10:00 PM
You folks that think we'd get a 1st round pick for either Foster or Tate are delusional. Fosters contract and the fact he's got 3+ yrs. in the league and not running the ball well prevent that. Why would a team give us a 1st round pick for a player that obviously ran hard for the money 2yrs. ago but has been steadily declining ever since, and has a big contract that they'd have to honor? As for Tate he's been in the league a number of yrs. as well and been often injured and obviously running for the money now.

waynegg
09-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Maybe we could get Barwin back...

Premier
09-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Yes, that would be very silly, but this is also the same stupid team that picked a RB in the top 5 and then turned around and traded him the very next season for a way lower draft pick. That organization isn't exactly one that uses great logic in their decisions.

yup a team that is also a few years away from building a playoff squad drafted a 28 year old qb..

BullNation4Life
09-22-2013, 11:39 PM
I told my brother in law today that I think the reason Tate is getting so many carries this early, is because Kubiak is auditioning Tate, to show he is healthy, so they can trade him before the deadline....

RagingBull
09-22-2013, 11:43 PM
I am pretty sure Foster is not currently healthy.

Rey
09-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Browns making big boy moves. Trading a mediocre back for a first round pick and then they're going to get a better back for a lower round pick.

If they can pull it off it'd be a great move for them.

DocBar
09-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Teams can wait for him to go RFA and hope they get him or they can guarantee they get him with a trade.Again, can you think of a team with playoff expectations that's willing to part with a draft pick? Trades just aren't that common anymore and I'd rather see the Texans keep him for the season rather than trade him for a 4-7 pick. Tate is more valuable to the team now than any draft pick from those rounds are likely to be. Using him and abusing him this season and letting him walk in the offseason is my choice unless a team outside our division offers a 3rd or better. I'm personally against trading within the division unless it's with Jax. We all know their draft picks will be high in the round.

EllisUnit
09-23-2013, 04:52 AM

i know you are serious but you shouldnt be. Although Foster has struggled a little and tate has appeared to be good, Tate has not been the starter for a full season, Foster has been a superstar player for us and we know he can take the grind of a long season. Tate has been hurt quite a bit considering the little amount of PT he has gotten. I take foster over tate any day of the week.

I look for foster to re find his dominance next week as he has looked better and better every week since week 1.

silvrhand
09-23-2013, 06:14 AM
i know you are serious but you shouldnt be. Although Foster has struggled a little and tate has appeared to be good, Tate has not been the starter for a full season, Foster has been a superstar player for us and we know he can take the grind of a long season. Tate has been hurt quite a bit considering the little amount of PT he has gotten. I take foster over tate any day of the week.

I look for foster to re find his dominance next week as he has looked better and better every week since week 1.

For me it's not about Foster himself but the cap situation. People need to get less attached to Arian and remember the zone blocking scheme is just another running style and backs are almost interchangeable, do you get that big of a dropoff to pay $8M+ a year? I'd sign Ben for 4 million a year and then save the money for JJ Watt.

dalemurphy
09-23-2013, 07:13 AM
I told my brother in law today that I think the reason Tate is getting so many carries this early, is because Kubiak is auditioning Tate, to show he is healthy, so they can trade him before the deadline....

No Way! They aren't trading Tate. If he walks next year for a big contract, the Texans would be in line for a3rd or 4th round ompensatory pick. Why lose a valuable player in season?

PapaL
09-23-2013, 09:40 AM
No Way! They aren't trading Tate. If he walks next year for a big contract, the Texans would be in line for a3rd or 4th round ompensatory pick. Why lose a valuable player in season?

Aren't compensatory picks at the end of the round? So hypothetically if they were to give us a 3rd or a 4th it'd be higher than the compensatory 3rd or 4th.

NCTexan
09-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Aren't compensatory picks at the end of the round? So hypothetically if they were to give us a 3rd or a 4th it'd be higher than the compensatory 3rd or 4th.

You are correct, but do you think that is worth losing his production for this year?

DieselDeac
09-23-2013, 10:42 AM
They've wanted him since we took him at 58 and they took Hardesty at 59.

(different regimes, I know, but it's a funny coincidence).

My guess, we trade Tate for a 4th rounder if we continue to look like we are not a contender, and keep him if we show signs of life.

Trade deadline is Oct 29th, btw.

BullNation4Life
09-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Seriously? You would rather have a 3rd of 4th compensatory pick than a 3rd or 4th round pick, maybe even a 2nd for Tate? Why keep a player you are not going to sign at the end of the year and can get something for him? they got Wood (That's what she said!) and can get a 3rd down back...

Sooo glad you are not the GM...

blitz90
09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Instead trade Foster for a draft pick. He got paid and went into jerk mode like most do. Plus i personally think he's still hurt and not 100% and never will be.

Coolhand_Luke
09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
I agree. Even though I like him a lot, trade Ben Tate for a2nd and draft one on the O-line. Lord knows we need a few good men on the front.

TheIronDuke
09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
After his fumble cost us another game I doubt he sees the field much. If the Browns want him anyway we should ship his fumbling ass up there ASAP. Anything more than a 4th rounder or so would be more than we'll end up getting in a compensatory pick when they sign him in the offseason. Cierre Wood can do what Ben Tate does but better.

YeaLikeRightNow
09-30-2013, 10:45 AM
After his fumble cost us another game I doubt he sees the field much. If the Browns want him anyway we should ship his fumbling ass up there ASAP. Anything more than a 4th rounder or so would be more than we'll end up getting in a compensatory pick when they sign him in the offseason. Cierre Wood can do what Ben Tate does but better.

Agreed...time to bring in the Wood!

Thorn
09-30-2013, 10:52 AM

I hardly think Tate's fumble cost us the game, there was to much other stuff going on to pin the loss on Tate.

silvrhand
09-30-2013, 10:53 AM

what beer goggles were you wearing?

TexanBacker93
09-30-2013, 10:54 AM

I don't think the fumble cost us the game except maybe in that Kubiak benched him the rest of the game and we could have used him in the 4th. We still had the lead at that point and should have still been able to win the game. Kubiak's coaching cost us the game.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Eh, I don't put much blame on Tate. Sure, he should've held on to the ball, but I reckon most RBs would've fumbled in that situation. Having a player swat the ball from the backside would be hard to defend against, no matter the grip on the ball. We saw it on TV but no way he could've felt it coming

TheIronDuke
09-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Maybe "cost the game" is a little harsh but it was the same exact thing he did last year against Denver where his fumble turned the tide and let them right back in it. I wasn't wearing beer goggles as I was stone-cold sober so I know exactly what happened. Right after his fumble I bet my wife then and there that the Seahawks would come back within 6 points at least and even posted in the game thread that that fumble will be as costly as the one in Denver was.

Anyway, Tate won't be getting used much this season so I say ship him off while we can to a team that wants him. The leash Kubes has on Tate is more like a choke collar.

Speedy
09-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Marshawn Lynch fumbled and they didn't take him out of the game. Not saying that Tate is Lynch, or maybe he could be with a full load, but I think it's stupid to end Tate's day after the fumble when Tate has a better yard per carry average, almost double that of Foster (6.7 - 3.8). The guy produces too much to not use him.

Insideop
09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Maybe "cost the game" is a little harsh but it was the same exact thing he did last year against Denver where his fumble turned the tide and let them right back in it. I wasn't wearing beer goggles as I was stone-cold sober so I know exactly what happened. Right after his fumble I bet my wife then and there that the Seahawks would come back within 6 points at least and even posted in the game thread that that fumble will be as costly as the one in Denver was.

Anyway, Tate won't be getting used much this season so I say ship him off while we can to a team that wants him. The leash Kubes has on Tate is more like a choke collar.

It's too bad his leash on Schaub isn't the same!

I can't blame Tate completely for the loss but it did start the ball rolling (pun intended) in the wrong direction, and once it starts, it's very hard to stop. Especially, it seems, for the Texans! If I were Kubes I'd bench both of them and start seeing if you can win with Yates or Keenum. As for Tate, he's gone after this season anyway, so you might as well trade him now and get something for him.

ObsiWan
09-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Marshawn Lynch fumbled and they didn't take him out of the game. Not saying that Tate is Lynch, or maybe he could be with a full load, but I think it's stupid to end Tate's day after the fumble when Tate has a better yard per carry average, almost double that of Foster (6.7 - 3.8). The guy produces too much to not use him.

Truth!
Maybe you sit Tate for a series or three but for the entire half??
That's just crazy to sit that kind of production when the game is so close and could have been won via the running attack.

And when will Schaub get "taught a lesson" like this?

YeaLikeRightNow
09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Truth!
Maybe you sit Tate for a series or three but for the entire half??
That's just crazy to sit that kind of production when the game is so close and could have been won via the running attack.

I dunno how many times I can handle this but if I Google "Rex Ryan / Mark Sanchez", I get heebie-jeebies down my spine.

infantrycak
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Name the starting QBs this has happened to in the last few years?

ObsiWan
09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Name the starting QBs this has happened to in the last few years?

Whisenhutt (sp?) benched first-round pick Matt Leinart in favor of Kurt Warner out in AZ because Leinart wasn't getting the job done.

Tampa Bay JUST benched their starter for a rookie.

While I get your point that it's very rare, it has happened.

There are probably other examples.

thunderkyss
09-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Whisenhutt (sp?) benched first-round pick Matt Leinart in favor of Kurt Warner out in AZ because Leinart wasn't getting the job done.

But we're 2-2 with losses to the Super Bowl champs & a 3-0 Seahawks team.

infantrycak
09-30-2013, 05:51 PM

I am sure there are more but like you say very rare. Even for the ones you pulled neither was near as successful as Schaub has been and perhaps more importantly, both were benched by coaches other than the ones who drafted them.

ubecool454
10-02-2013, 07:25 PM

ditto

ubecool454
10-02-2013, 07:26 PM

JMO ...Tate is better than Lynch. Lynch has the more stylish shoes though..haha

ubecool454
10-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Wood could step into Tate's shoes right now and he wouldn't be that big a drop off. Besides we seem to be casting off pieces due to salary cap issues left and right. A team doing that is going to need to replace those pieces with less expensive draft picks in order to keep up. Time to part with Tate and fill another need.

I like Wood but he isn't as nasty as Tate. You are probably not alone in your thinking just by the number of Foster Jersery versus Tate Jerseys I see around town but you have to remember that Tate was a 2nd round pick and Foster was undrafted. That says a lot to me. I've been a Tate fan since his days at Auburn and I want to see the guy do good. He is being wasted here and I don't like it. Trade him so he can be the guy.

Playoffs
10-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Jerruh & the Cowgirls are trolling for RB help before the trade deadline, fwiw.

chicagotexan2
10-20-2013, 01:09 PM
If the texans lose against kc the season is dead then I say move Tate for a first day pick if you can get it.

EllisUnit
10-20-2013, 01:13 PM
JMO ...Tate is better than Lynch. Lynch has the more stylish shoes though..haha

No way is tate better than Lynch, that guy runs people over and is very hard to bring down, while tate in his own way is not bad he is not near the bowling ball lynch is.

thunderkyss
10-20-2013, 01:28 PM
If the texans lose against kc the season is dead then I say move Tate for a first day pick if you can get it.

If the Colts lose we're still alive. We still got Indy twice... at home after the bye. Then an easy stretch of games after that. We can still be in good shape come December.