PDA

View Full Version : Foster admits to taking money in college

stingray
09-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Interesting stuff

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year, I was getting money on the side," said Foster. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130920/arian-foster-documentary-comments-about-being-paid-at-tennessee/#ixzz2fSTJxZgW

badboy
09-20-2013, 02:12 PM
hmm I thought players got paid in education and also got free meals in cafeteria?

Playoffs
09-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
During an interview for a documentary (video on SI. com), Arian Foster admitted getting money on the side in college http://ow.ly/p3XSo

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
hmm I thought players got paid in education and also got free meals in cafeteria?

Try paying the rent with your philosophy class.

welsh texan
09-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Don't college athletes also get free accommodation?

dc_txtech
09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

They get free dorm rooms, and at least at Texas Tech they were better than everyone elses dorms and they didn't have to share with a roommate.

NCTexan
09-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Don't college athletes also get free accommodation?

Depends on your status I think. I'm not sure walk-ons get any sort of help, and if you only have a partial scholarship it won't cover everything.

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 02:27 PM
They get free dorm rooms, and at least at Texas Tech they were better than everyone elses dorms and they didn't have to share with a roommate.

"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food." - Arian Foster

I was just going off what the guy said.

Stemp
09-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Depends on your status I think. I'm not sure walk-ons get any sort of help, and if you only have a partial scholarship it won't cover everything.

Foster wasn't a walkon

Double Barrel
09-20-2013, 02:30 PM

My son got a full ride scholarship at SFA. All rent, food, books, and education fully paid by the school.

He only worked in the off-season/spare time for spending money, not because he needed it.

Now, I have no idea of Arian's scholarship situation, but I think most are like my son's. (Like you said, just going off of Arian's statement.)

I tend to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars per student in FREE college education, housing, and food, should be enough to justify the commitment to a program, especially since I had to work my ass off for every penny to pay for college (which led me to dropping out as I had to eventually work full time to pay my bills).

BTW, my son never felt he was owed anything by the school and fully appreciated that he was "paid" with a good education/college degree for his football work.

cdollaz
09-20-2013, 02:31 PM
So Arian is a rat.

dc_txtech
09-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Again just what I observed at Texas Tech, full ride scholarhips had free rooms on campus, 3 meals a day in their own personal dining hall, free tuition, free tutors available, free shoes, clothes, backpacks, and other apparel. Not to mention nutritionists, doctors, conditioning coaches, etc.

dc_txtech
09-20-2013, 02:34 PM
"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food." - Arian Foster

I was just going off what the guy said.

I hear ya. If true, he probably just didn't want to live in a dorm.

badboy
09-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Try paying the rent with your philosophy class.Can't live in their free room. Tears. I am all for athletes receiving some pay but to say he was starving but could not walk to cafeteria is ridiculous. I wonder if his mom will weigh in here on this. TexMex's mom you out there?

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 02:37 PM
My son got a full ride scholarship at SFA. All rent, food, books, and education fully paid by the school.

He only worked in the off-season/spare time for spending money, not because he needed it.

Now, I have no idea of Arian's scholarship situation, but I think most are like my son's.

I tend to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars per student in FREE college education, housing, and food, should be enough to justify the commitment to a program, especially since I had to work my ass off for ever penny to pay for college (which led me to dropping out as I had to eventually work full time to pay my bills).

BTW, my son never felt he was owed anything by the school and fully appreciated that he was "paid" with a good education/college degree for his football work.

As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I am going to go drink some chai tea and meditate now. ;)

Vance87
09-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Couldn't Arian have just stayed on campus for free and eaten for free? I know some schools give a daily food allowance for athletes to eat on campus. Like 40 bucks or something.

badboy
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
So Arian is a rat.nah he's a free spirit that enjoys tacos.

LEATHERHEAD
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Had to buy Diapers..and food for that baby..should have used a Raincoat

NCTexan
09-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Foster wasn't a walkon

I was speakingin general. But I'm not even sure that I'm right about walk-ons not getting housing. I don't know enough about it.

cdollaz
09-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Many athletes piss away their money once they turn pro, so is it a good idea to be handing them cash at an even earlier age?

ChampionTexan
09-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Had to buy Diapers..and food for that baby..should have used a Raincoat

Pretty sure he had been already left Tennessee and signed with the Texans by the time Zeniah came along.

Playoffs
09-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Honesty. Refreshing. Most guys lie about it.

Thorn
09-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm horribly shocked that Foster is being proved to be a normal human, and not Gaudi or someone. My give-ah-$hitter wouldn't budge on this one.

texanhead08
09-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Meanwhile water is still wet. In 2013 I am not surprised at any player admitting he received money especially a player from one of the BCS conference schools.

Playoffs
09-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
#Texans' Arian Foster wouldn't put percentage on number of football players accepting money. But he added it's obvious it's happening.

#Texans' Arian Foster said he thought about repercussions of speaking out and was fine with them. Said #NCAA has student-athletes hoodwinked

#Texans' Arian Foster said it's not fair that #NCAA officials have BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes and players don't get paid for anything.

#Texans' Arian Foster reference #Cowboys WR Dez Bryant's interraction with Deion Sanders as proof of hypocrisy of #NCAA system.

#Texans' Arian Foster said he isn't trying to throw anyone under the bus. Spoke up because of injustice of #NCAA system. Wants change.

#Texans' Arian Foster stands by comments. Called #NCAA "big bullies" and he's not scared of them. #NFL

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"They have us hoodwinked into thinking taking money is wrong" Arian Foster #Texans

Arian Foster: "I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the ncaa anymore" #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Foster said he didn't receive money from a coach. He wanted to eat. $87 a month is what he received to feed himself on weekends from NCAA

Arian Foster addressed the media about accepting money at UT. he was great. Honestly made great points about the injustice of NCAA. #Texans

2012Champs
09-20-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd rather hear more about Foster's great production than hear him complain about playing time, talking about taking money in college and what not. I sure don't hear about him in the same light as I used to

cdollaz
09-20-2013, 03:33 PM
"#Texans' Arian Foster said it's not fair that #NCAA officials have BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes and players don't get paid for anything."

Now he just sounds like a little b i tch.

Thorn
09-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I'd rather hear more about Foster's great production than hear him complain about playing time, talking about taking money in college and what not. I sure don't hear about him in the same light as I used to

He's probably just pissed cause Tate is running better than him right now. Give him time.

2012Champs
09-20-2013, 03:34 PM
"#Texans' Arian Foster said it's not fair that #NCAA officials have BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes and players don't get paid for anything."

Now he just sounds like a little b i tch.

I agree the kids get plenty of nontaxable financial benefits

2012Champs
09-20-2013, 03:35 PM
He's probably just pissed cause Tate is running better than him right now. Give him time.

I understand and personalities are different but I'd rather see him put his head down and work

Thorn
09-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I understand and personalities are different but I'd rather see him put his head down and work

I think before very long we will see Foster back to his old ways of racking up a lot of yards and TDs. I have confidence in him.

robroy72
09-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Bloody hell; why the hate for #23? He just came out and told the truth.

jaayteetx
09-20-2013, 03:47 PM
This is why I'm not a big fan of college football right now. It goes on everywhere, some are just better at not getting caught and when an institution gets caught its some big whoopdy do, like, oh my god, they're cheating! No shiate, they're all doing it. I'll take the NFL any day, thank you, no doubt what's going on there and nobody is under any misguided dilusions.

HOU-TEX
09-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Eh, I had a brief stint playing College ball and had two brothers who played a lot in College. They never needed extra money because they used what was given to them through their scholarships. They knew if they left the campus they were on their own. Granted, this was many years ago.

I'm not sure what can happen to UT this far after the fact, but wonder if Foster has given it any thought. Great, you aren't scared of the big bad NCAA anymore, but what about the program

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 03:51 PM
I agree the kids get plenty of nontaxable financial benefits

Examples please...?

76Texan
09-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Foster wasn't a highly sought after recruit.
He only played RB one year in HS.
One of the coaches had to lobby real hard for Fulmer to even watch Foster's tapes; he was the lowest rated RB in that RB draft class for the Vols.

The cafeteria doesn't open all the time.
Between school (he graduated), practice, training, I can see these athletes' need to have their own food at times.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Eh, I had a brief stint playing College ball and had two brothers who played a lot in College. They never needed extra money because they used what was given to them through their scholarships. They knew if they left the campus they were on their own. Granted, this was many years ago.

I'm not sure what can happen to UT this far after the fact, but wonder if Foster has given it any thought. Great, you aren't scared of the big bad NCAA anymore, but what about the program

Did you or your brothers need to send money back home for mom to make ends meet and to help out with the siblings behind??

Everyone's situation is unique.

2012Champs
09-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Examples please...?

Food, housing, education, books, tutors I'm sure there are plenty more

cdollaz
09-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Bloody hell; why the hate for #23? He just came out and told the truth.

Because he is whining that a long-employed man has a better car than he does.

HOU-TEX
09-20-2013, 04:00 PM
One of the coaches had to lobby real hard for Fulmer to even watch Foster's tapes; he was the lowest rated RB in that RB draft class for the Vols.

Between school (he graduated), practice, training, I can see these athletes' need to have their own food at times.

It was open when it needed to be open. Athletes are fed like kings. I gained 20lbs in my short stint. My two brothers gained close to 200 lbs between them. The elder one went in at around 235 and left at 345. I mean, unless you're a raging pothead, there's plenty of food throughout the day.

FWIW, it doesn't bother me one bit that he took money. I just don't buy the "needed food" and crap

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Food, housing, education, books, tutors I'm sure there are plenty more

Tutors I'll give you but I remember paying taxes on books and other school supplies. We'd be naive to think that some part of the cost of housing and campus food wasn't due to state taxes. Just cause you don't directly see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

HOU-TEX
09-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Did you or your brothers need to send money back home for mom to make ends meet and to help out with the siblings behind??

Everyone's situation is unique.

You're correct, which is what I tried to clarify above. I don't care one iota that he took money. I just don't buy the "need food" and the like while attending College on a full ride.

2012Champs
09-20-2013, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=ObsiWan;2212967]Tutors I'll give you but I remember paying taxes on books and other school supplies. We'd be naive to think that some part of the cost of housing and campus food wasn't due to state taxes. Just cause you don't directly see them doesn't mean they aren't there.[/QUOTE

What are you talking about taxes on your books for? If my company provided housing for me it would be a taxable event however athletes in this situation get it for free and do not have to pay income tax on that benefit

Double Barrel
09-20-2013, 04:09 PM
As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I have no problem with paying college athletes.

Just make them pay their own way through school if they are going to do it. :winky:

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 04:10 PM

Is that "long employed man" ( and you're making a leap of faith about the long employed part) the guy the boosters and fans pay to see on Saturdays or is the athletes??

cdollaz
Tutors I'll give you but I remember paying taxes on books and other school supplies. We'd be naive to think that some part of the cost of housing and campus food wasn't due to state taxes. Just cause you don't directly see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Income tax, not sales tax.

If you do work for me, and I compensate you by paying your rent, the amount of your rent that I paid is taxable income to you. So, they are receiving lodging, food, books, etc. and are not having to report it as taxable income.

thunderkyss
If he wasn't a Texan I wouldn't be so nice about this, but Arian is not being very smart. Absolutely nothing good can come from this. He doesn't have to run from the NCAA anymore, but someone is & while he wasn't driving a BMW, that's on him. Plenty of college athletes are driving vehicles they have no business driving.

It's no secret that college players are getting paid, but so far not a whole lot is being done about it. Like steroids in MLB. This little bit of honesty by Foster just might spark increased measures by the NCAA so that other kid trying to put food on his momma's table, or put diapers on his baby is going to lose his free ride.

& another thing. We need Arian to play football, we don't need him speaking his mind & getting all political (NCAA politics) & fighting the good fight for what he thinks is right..... After we win a Super Bowl.... maybe. Once he decides he's done playing football, sure. But he doesn't need this kind of attention, our players don't need this kind of attention, & the fans don't need our team messing with this.

I hope it's over, but I doubt it.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
You're correct, which is what I tried to clarify above. I don't care one iota that he took money. I just don't buy the "need food" and the like while attending College on a full ride.

Oh...
Never mind.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 04:14 PM

Just make them pay their own way through school if they are going to do it. :winky:

The NCAA is going to have to enter some "profit" sharing like the NFL.

ThaShark316
09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Can we call him Arian "The Truth" Foster?

Awesome stuff, 23.

cdollaz
09-20-2013, 04:19 PM
I just don't buy the "needed food" and crap

Yeah, it is kinda laughable to think they are needing "food money". I wonder how much of that food money would be spent on iPods and other crap other than food.

If someone wants to argue that they should have a beefed-up food allowance, or credit in the university store, or some other designated store, to buy clothes and other necessities, I will hear that argument. But the idea that we should be giving them cash is nonsense.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Can we call him Arian "The Truth" Foster?

Awesome stuff, 23.

I like Arian "Screw it up for everyone else" Foster.

Double Barrel
09-20-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree with thunderkyss' earlier point. Why NOW? Why talk about this stuff during the season when it will become a potential distraction for Arian and the team?

CretorFrigg
09-20-2013, 04:32 PM

This. His whining almost seems like a plea for attention. Not getting enough playing time? Okay, let's make a fuss about it. Wait, they aren't reacting the way you wanted, Arian? OK, then talk about getting paid at the NCAA level. He needs to focus on getting his game back up because his sub 4 ypc average really sucks.

I can't help but roll my eyes at his complaints. I personally know D1 football players who are provided housing and food in addition to a free education. One of them was telling me how he found a cheap apartment with a bunch of friends and was able to pocket the rest of the money.

This bitching about not finding food is the biggest crock of **** I have ever heard. You get free dining at the university. I'm sorry you can't spend $200 on a meal every night. The benefits he's receiving are already way better than other students. There are hardworking students who aren't fortunate enough to receive a scholarship, free meal plan and free housing. They actually have to work in addition to going to school to pay for necessities. They work just as hard, if not harder, than any football player I know

TexansBlood
09-20-2013, 04:33 PM
I remember playing high school football with a jam packed stadium in K.I.S.D(every single person paid to watch us/me). Not once did it cross my mind that I should get paid to play.

I love Arian on the field, off the field he is starting to run me the wrong way.

Playoffs
09-20-2013, 04:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9698504/arian-foster-says-took-benefits-playing-tennessee-volunteers

"I just feel strong about the injustice that the NCAA has been doing for years," Foster said Friday in Houston. "That's why I said what I said. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus. ... I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. They're like these big bullies. I'm not scared of them."

In an interview for a documentary called "Schooled: The Price of College Sports," Foster said he received extra payments so he could afford rent and food while playing at Tennessee. An excerpt of the documentary was obtained by and posted on SI.com.

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year (2008), I was getting money on the side," Foster said in the video. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Foster went on to describe a situation when he had no food or money and called a coach.

"Either you give us some food or I'm gonna go do something stupid," Foster recalled telling him.

The coach brought Foster and three others 50 tacos, Foster said in the documentary while chuckling at the thought that that the action constituted an NCAA violation.

Foster played at Tennessee from 2005 to 2008 under Hall of Fame coach Phillip Fulmer. Foster said Friday he never took money from coaches, but there were always people around the program willing to help him financially. Andrew Muscato, a documentary producer, says Foster didn't specify how much he received.

Foster said Friday he considered the repercussions of his actions and how they might impact Tennessee, which is on NCAA probation through Aug. 23, 2015. He decided the rewards were greater than the risks.

"Look at the attention it's getting," Foster said. "They really have us hoodwinked into thinking taking money is wrong as a college athlete. It's wrong for us but it's not wrong for them. I guarantee every NCAA official has a (BMW) or Benz or something. That's not wrong, but it's wrong for me to get $20 to get something to eat? Dez Bryant couldn't get taken out to dinner by Deion Sanders, his mentor, he sat out a whole season because of that? That's not wrong? But if you can drive around in a Benz, that's OK? It's not right."

Arian Foster says he took benefits while in college at Tennessee so he could pay for food and rent.

The NCAA suspended Bryant in September 2009 for the rest of that season for lying about having lunch with Sanders.

Asked if his financial situation got more difficult after he stopped living in dorms and eating from the dining hall, Foster said it was worse when he lived on campus.

"I think my check was like $87 a month in dorm rooms," Foster said. "You had meals Monday through Friday, Saturday and Sunday you had to fend for yourself. I guess that's what the $87 was for. At the end of the month you don't have any money, your family can't send you any money, a lot of those guys -- 80 percent of the team is made up of kids from the inner city."

Foster disagreed that a "free education" was a just reward, saying the education wasn't free because college athletes put in just as much work as professional athletes.

"Except I can go make money off of my name," Foster said. "I can go get a side job if I really wanted to. The NCAA takes away your constitutional rights as an American of not being able to go get a job."

He called for an end to what he considers the guise of amateurism in college sports.

Said Foster: "It's just amazing to me that adults let this go on."

ThaShark316
09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
I wish Tate would have said something....

revan
09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
If he ever leaves the Texans then I will criticize him. But for now HOW DARE YOU TENNESSEE do this to my star RB??!! Dam hillbilly country!!

ThaShark316
If he wasn't a Texan I wouldn't be so nice about this, but Arian is not being very smart. Absolutely nothing good can come from this. He doesn't have to run from the NCAA anymore, but someone is & while he wasn't driving a BMW, that's on him. Plenty of college athletes are driving vehicles they have no business driving.

It's no secret that college players are getting paid, but so far not a whole lot is being done about it. Like steroids in MLB. This little bit of honesty by Foster just might spark increased measures by the NCAA so that other kid trying to put food on his momma's table, or put diapers on his baby is going to lose his free ride.

& another thing. We need Arian to play football, we don't need him speaking his mind & getting all political (NCAA politics) & fighting the good fight for what he thinks is right..... After we win a Super Bowl.... maybe. Once he decides he's done playing football, sure. But he doesn't need this kind of attention, our players don't need this kind of attention, & the fans don't need our team messing with this.

I hope it's over, but I doubt it.

F that...we need some folks to blow the NCAA the hell out. I'm sick and TIRED of these *******s getting away with any and everything. We need more.

76Texan
It was open when it needed to be open. Athletes are fed like kings. I gained 20lbs in my short stint. My two brothers gained close to 200 lbs between them. The elder one went in at around 235 and left at 345. I mean, unless you're a raging pothead, there's plenty of food throughout the day.

FWIW, it doesn't bother me one bit that he took money. I just don't buy the "needed food" and crap

Time doesn't stand still, Hou-Tex.
And different programs have different requirements.
My two nieces, for example, swim competitively since they were eight, and they have had very little social time. They swim or practice 4-5 hours a day, seven days a week. Without their mom's full-time dedication, they can go hungry at times.
The older one just got a 75% scholarship to a small college in NY.
Offers from other programs were less.

Like Obsi said, everybody's situation is unique.

And these guys also have to perform both on the field and in the class room to maintain their scholarships, unless there are major unethical conducts by the schools.

I don't know whether Foster is not smart about this or not.
Sometimes, the system needs a major shake-up to make the necessary changes.
It happens all the time in real life.

ThaShark316
09-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Time doesn't stand still, Hou-Tex.
And different programs have different requirements.
My two nieces, for example, swim competitively since they were eight, and they have had very little social time. They swim or practice 4-5 hours a day, seven days a week. Without their mom's full-time dedication, they can go hungry at times.
The older one just got a 75% scholarship to a small college in NY.
Offers from other programs were less.

Like Obsi said, everybody's situation is unique.

And these guys also have to perform both on the field and in the class room to maintain their scholarships, unless there are major unethical conducts by the schools.

I don't know whether Foster is not smart about this or not.
Sometimes, the system needs a major shake-up to make the necessary changes.
It happens all the time in real life.

The bold is why I'm on Arian's side.

escrimador
09-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Well, good for him I guess, for trying to make a change by speaking out. Otherwise, I see nothing really to complain about.

badboy
09-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Bloody hell; why the hate for #23? He just came out and told the truth.Because if you tell your coach he has to feed you or you are going to do something stupid as in go to alumni or sell you autograph and you are too lazy or whatever to go to cafeteria for free food.... It isn't hate I have, it is he could have used his NFL position to bring light on college players more productively.

CeeQue
09-20-2013, 05:05 PM
College athletes should be paid... or offer them a free education after they're no longer eligible to play collegiate sports so they can fully dedicate their time in pursuing a degree that will get them a job.

I graduated with a Chemical Engineering degree... worked my arse off to get it. I wouldn't have been able to if I was a starting college football player at the same time.

badboy
09-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Between school (he graduated), practice, training, I can see these athletes' need to have their own food at times.But what a year it was:

Foster competed in football at Mission Bay Senior High School, where he initially played as a linebacker, but became a full-time running back in his senior year. He was Mission Bay's featured running back that year, and led San Diego County in all-purpose yards with 2,500 while compiling 2,093 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns in addition to six scores on kickoff returns.[4] In a game against Clairemont, Foster ran for 321 yards and for his efforts, he was named San Diego Union Tribune All-San Diego Western League Player of the Year, received All-West Region appointment by PrepStar, and also earned All-California Interscholastic Federation honors.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arian_Foster

76Texan
09-20-2013, 05:12 PM
The bold is why I'm on Arian's side.

There have been so many fundamental "wrongs" with this amateur system for the longest time.

At the lowest level, for example - even though the practice doesn't seem to be as widespread as it used to be; football and basketball players were given passing grades, unless they were simply so bad.

This doesn't help them in college. Many of them don't have the educational fundamentals to learn much of anything at the next level.
Tutoring isn't going to help.

Some call that an amateur system; I call it a broken system.
The whole system has been financed my money-making machines from the professional level down; Too many propagandas that help propagate a culture of apathy among us all. Some get caught in the possibility of glory such that they may not think long and hard enough about the long-term effect.

It's a clear exploitation of the amateurs for profit without regards for their well-beings.

infantrycak
09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
What are you talking about taxes on your books for? If my company provided housing for me it would be a taxable event however athletes in this situation get it for free and do not have to pay income tax on that benefit

Now you should know better. It is still a taxable event but these guys aren't making enough money for that to result in a tax owed.

I agree with thunderkyss' earlier point. Why NOW? Why talk about this stuff during the season when it will become a potential distraction for Arian and the team?

That would be a great complaint IF he spoke during the season. But he didn't. This interview was done months ago during the off-season.

Here is something else to consider. Football by far makes the most money of all the sports. For some reason there are inconsistent rules for NCAA scholarship athletes and football is by far the most restricted. For example a scholarship tennis player or swimmer can give lessons and it is perfectly fine. I believe they can also appear in exhibition matches and be paid to do so (I may be wrong on that one but pretty sure on the lessons). But Arian or Johnny Football can't hold a football camp and make money of it or individual lessons. Why?

As for doing it before retiring, well now is when his soapbox is biggest. Think about the gay athlete discussions and people coming in and saying "see they never say anything until they are out of the league. Just a washed up former player trying to stay in the news." It is also relatively recent. If he waits until he is no longer a star and 10 years have passed folks will discount it saying well that was a decade ago.

ChampionTexan
09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
This. His whining almost seems like a plea for attention. Not getting enough playing time? Okay, let's make a fuss about it. Wait, they aren't reacting the way you wanted, Arian? OK, then talk about getting paid at the NCAA level. He needs to focus on getting his game back up because his sub 4 ypc average really sucks.

It's a documentary featuring numerous others affiliated with college sports. I would imagine the interview took place several months ago.

CloakNNNdagger
09-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Like the concussion situation..............nothing will change without a class action suit..........don't ask me how they approach that, but there are some pretty crafty lawyers out there that are probably thinking about it as I speak.

dc_txtech
09-20-2013, 05:22 PM

That's an absolute joke. We all know a large percentage of these players are not passing college level curriculum. Vince Young's Wonderlic score would suggest that he is not literate and yet he has a degree from a prestigous university.

CretorFrigg
09-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I rarely ever comment but I just wanted to comment on some of the things said..

College athletes do get a lot of free benefits (gear, food M-F, education, tutors, books ect...)

But to say that some dont need extra money to survive is kind of foolish. A lot of people on here claim to have played ball or know someone who has and If that is true, you should know that Student-Athletes need a little extra money on the side for food and incidental things we take for granted (soap, deo, underwear ect...). The school does not pay for these things. Yes all athletes get free food at the dining halls but they dont have time to go there all the time. These guys are up at 5-6 am for practice, then they go to school, then some of them study, and then more practice.. There is not time for a lot of trips to the dining hall. Most of them take in a high amount of calories so they need extra food in their dorms/apartments to supplement what they eat at the dining halls. Also, every school is different and some athletes are allowed to live off campus after they reach a certain classification (Jr or Sr at my school). So maybe Arian lived off campus and ran out of FinAid money for rent (happened to me twice). We dont know Arian's situation but if he was as poor as he has stated before (MANY college athletes come from poor families) then I can completely understand why he took money.

Back to my previous point, what makes the athlete's struggle any different than any other student's? I mentioned personally knowing students that have had to work and go to school in order to pay for the necessities. They worked very hard, if not harder, than most college athletes I know. The athletes already have many perks. Free food, housing, etc.

htownfan32
09-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Didn't Arian have a child in college?

Double Barrel
09-20-2013, 05:41 PM
That would be a great complaint IF he spoke during the season. But he didn't. This interview was done months ago during the off-season.

Thanks for the heads up. I did not realize this was an off-season interview.

Here is something else to consider. Football by far makes the most money of all the sports. For some reason there are inconsistent rules for NCAA scholarship athletes and football is by far the most restricted. For example a scholarship tennis player or swimmer can give lessons and it is perfectly fine. I believe they can also appear in exhibition matches and be paid to do so (I may be wrong on that one but pretty sure on the lessons). But Arian or Johnny Football can't hold a football camp and make money of it or individual lessons. Why?

As for doing it before retiring, well now is when his soapbox is biggest. Think about the gay athlete discussions and people coming in and saying "see they never say anything until they are out of the league. Just a washed up former player trying to stay in the news." It is also relatively recent. If he waits until he is no longer a star and 10 years have passed folks will discount it saying well that was a decade ago.

There was a USA Today (iirc) article awhile back that said something like only 7 college football program actually made a net profit.

Obviously huge coaching salaries are part of the expense.

But also, isn't Title 9 a big part of the equation here?

If the NCAA opens the floodgates to pay football players, I have no doubt someone will take it to court to pay ALL college athletes. And while it can be argued that football brings the revenue so those athletes should reap the rewards (beyond free school, food, housing, etc.), the same logic of Title 9 will most likely be applied to all sports.

disaacks3
09-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Now he just sounds like a little b i tch. Actually he sounds like someone pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation. Football players are the cash cow of the NCAA schools. Within the past month, the NCAA has finally agreed to stop selling jerseys that correlate to certain players. They only did this in light of the Manziel situation.

Just make them pay their own way through school if they are going to do it. :winky: Sure, as long as the University is run as a non-profit and distributes the gains accordingly. If not, start giving them a stipend and make a big part of this issue go away.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Now you should know better. It is still a taxable event but these guys aren't making enough money for that to result in a tax owed.

You beat me to it, I-Cak. This documentary...

http://2-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.broadwayworld.com/images.bwwstatic.com/columnpic6/2BE04193F-D40C-CF55-2FC1E7FF06C7FB2A.jpg.pagespeed.ce.IKq4ZcU7NK.jpg

was filmed sometime this past winter (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130920/arian-foster-documentary-comments-about-being-paid-at-tennessee/#ixzz2fSFHGfNe)...

Add Arian Foster's voice to the growing chorus who believe that NCAA athletes -- football and basketball players, in particular -- should be compensated for their labor. Last February, the Houston Texans running back was approached by the producers for the documentary Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130920/arian-foster-documentary-comments-about-being-paid-at-tennessee/#ixzz2fTJQRcvy

It was SI.com and/or ESPN who decided to release these clips at this time.

Arian didn't call a press conference today about this subject. He wasn't even answering questions in recent history (during this season) as TK and HouTex have asserted. These quotes are all from the documentary and were filmed during the off-season.

So slow your roll. The timing isn't on Foster, its on the media.

IDEXAN
09-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Totally classless on Fosters part. If I ever had any doubts about this guy being all about himself, I don't anymore.

infantrycak
Back to my previous point, what makes the athlete's struggle any different than any other student's? I mentioned personally knowing students that have had to work and go to school in order to pay for the necessities. They worked very hard, if not harder, than most college athletes I know. The athletes already have many perks. Free food, housing, etc.

Students who get jobs for money get ... money.

Athletes who work a whole extra job do not.

If the NCAA opens the floodgates to pay football players, I have no doubt someone will take it to court to pay ALL college athletes. And while it can be argued that football brings the revenue so those athletes should reap the rewards (beyond free school, food, housing, etc.), the same logic of Title 9 will most likely be applied to all sports.

I wasn't suggesting they get paid by the university but how about make the rules the same for all student athletes? If they can teach in the summer time or outside of football season then let them just like tennis players.

Trap_Star
I don't doubt he took money, but his reasoning is full of ****. A major program like Tennessee doesn't house and feed their athletes? Lol uh huh.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 05:58 PM

If I'm on a physics scholarhip and I want to make money on the side tutoring math or freshman physics I can. Can a football or basketball player "legally" hold a make money by holding a football or basketball camp?? Hell, I bet they can't even "legally" get paid to participate in someone else's football or basketball camp.

I worked at UPS all through college myself but would a football coach or basketball coach let his star QB or point guard make extra money by working an extra job? A real job... you know what I mean...

And between classes, practice time, working out, and studying his playbook, when would there be time for a side job?

I'm all for a system that provides some sort of stipend or some compensation for the money that these kids bring to the school.

Now what an equitable -to the kids and to the school - system ought to look like... I'm still working on that part.

CretorFrigg
09-20-2013, 05:59 PM

I wasn't suggesting they get paid by the university but how about make the rules the same for all student athletes? If they can teach in the summer time or outside of football season then let them just like tennis players.

Athletes also don't have to pay $60k a year for tuition and costs.

I'm not against college football players being able to coach during the summertime. I'm against the university paying student athletes so we are in agreement there.

If I'm on a physics scholarhip and I want to make money on the side tutoring math or freshman physics I can. Can a football or basketball player "legally" hold a make money by holding a football or basketball camp?? Hell, I bet they can't even "legally" get paid to participate in someone else's football or basketball camp.

I worked at UPS all through college myself but would a football coach or basketball coach let his star QB or point guard make extra money by working an extra job? A real job... you know what I mean...

And between classes, practice time, working out, and studying his playbook, when would there be time for a side job?

I'm all for a system that provides some sort of stipend or some compensation for the money that these kids bring to the school.

Now what an equitable -to the kids and to the school - system ought to look like... I'm still working on that part.

Sure, if you want these kids to get a stipend, I'm all for it as long as they eliminate the full-ride, housing, meal plan, etc. In that sense, I'm sure the benefits they receive outweigh any stipend they'll be receiving from the university.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Totally classless on Fosters part. If I ever had any doubts about this guy being all about himself, I don't anymore.

You'll have to explain your logic here. It went right past me. He's out of school. He's making money. This interview was conducted during the off-season. His message is that the students playing now should have some means to make supplimental money. He's not asking for back pay from Tennessee. He's talking about the kids who are there now. So how is this "all about himself"??

And if you can't explain it to me then you don't have an argument.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Sure, if you want these kids to get a stipend, I'm all for it as long as they eliminate the full-ride, housing, meal plan, etc. In that sense, I'm sure the benefits they receive outweigh any stipend they'll be receiving from the university.
Then those kids will just go to a university where that stipend pays all their bills and then some. Trust me, there will be some bidding for the high school blue chippers.

Just like in the real world, you'll go for the company that provides the best pkg of salary and benefits.

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 06:10 PM

There's the affirmation I was looking for. Now there is not one doubt I'm on the right side of this. Thanks IDEXAN!

CretorFrigg
09-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Then those kids will just go to a university where that stipend pays all their bills and then some. Trust me, there will be some bidding for the high school blue chippers.

Just like in the real world, you'll go for the company that provides the best pkg of salary and benefits.

Then you'll have universities like UT win every year. Sounds like a monopoly to me, and doesn't sound very entertaining.

I really doubt that stipend would be able to cover tuition and costs. My cousin just graduated from USC, and total cost of attending that university now is over 60k. I really doubt a university will be able to provide that many players with that kind of money.

infantrycak
09-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Athletes also don't have to pay $60k a year for tuition and costs.

Neither does anyone else on scholarship and as ObsiWan points out that includes non-athletes (for instance coincidental to his comment, I had a full ride physics scholarship to UT).

Why? You are missing the whole point of scholarships which is to have the person focus on the subject (including athletics) which the school is encouraging.

IDEXAN
09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
You'll have to explain your logic here. It went right past me. He's out of school. He's making money. This interview was conducted during the off-season. His message is that the students playing now should have some means to make supplimental money. He's not asking for back pay from Tennessee. He's talking about the kids who are there now. So how is this "all about himself"??

A provocative, controversial remark that was obviously designed to attract wanted attention to himself which will lead to very unwanted, very negative attention upon the U. of Tenn. I dunno how much damage might happen to the school, but it might very well be substantial and result in a reduced ability to fund scholarships in the future, so Foster is in effect probably hurting those potential future student-athletes he claims to be sympathetic for.
Plain and simple, he's all about Arian.

Double Barrel
09-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Actually he sounds like someone pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation. Football players are the cash cow of the NCAA schools. Within the past month, the NCAA has finally agreed to stop selling jerseys that correlate to certain players. They only did this in light of the Manziel situation.

Without a doubt, football programs bring the money. And they are usually the only athletic department to make a profit for any given university.

So get rid of Title 9, stop paying for overpriced educations for many guys that are going through the motions, and just turn the whole thing into a farm system where these guys have to still "go to classes" (make 'em simple, like balancing a checkbook, life skills sort of thing) and pay them what they are due as the entertainers they are at the end of the day.

So a "student athlete" can make a choice: get paid money for their football services and take some basic classes so they are not complete idiots - OR - get a full ride scholarship that covers the education, housing, training, and meals.

Sure, as long as the University is run as a non-profit and distributes the gains accordingly. If not, start giving them a stipend and make a big part of this issue go away.

Stipend for only football players? Or all student athletes?

You make a great point. I have no problem with these college athletes having the same rules to work as any other student.

And honestly, I don't have a problem if a college star wants to capitalize on his stardom, because we all know the NFL is not guaranteed and a great college player can often end up a bust in the pros.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Then you'll have universities like UT win every year. Sounds like a monopoly to me, and doesn't sound very entertaining.

And the major programs, UT/Alabama/USC/LSU/Ohio State/Michigan (need I go on?) don't do that now???

please

EllisUnit
09-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Regular students pay ungodly amounts of money just to attend college, most have part time jobs, and stuck paying off student loans for years. So unless the university is going to give money to every student, they dont need to give any to athletes. They arent special

2012Champs
09-20-2013, 06:51 PM

They aren't 1099'd for the benefits so it wouldn't really matter what they made a year. Johnny football could have 50k in income from his investments and his college benefits wouldn't factor into his taxes.

Here is an interesting article on the topic
http://m.thinkadvisor.com/2013/08/27/why-college-athletes-shouldnt-get-paid

infantrycak
09-20-2013, 07:06 PM
They aren't 1099'd for the benefits so it wouldn't really matter what they made a year. Johnny football could have 50k in income from his investments and his college benefits wouldn't factor into his taxes.

Well here is another article - Link (http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2013/09/04/back-to-school-making-sense-of-scholarships-grants-fellowships/)

So parts are tax free and parts, including room and board, are not.

TD
09-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Didn't read the link, but room and board is taxable. It is reported on 1098-T which shows tuition billed and scholarships received. Unless you can show you had qualified out of pocket expenses, you pay tax on the difference.

Interestingly any scholarship received in exchange for services is supposed to be completely taxable. I guess sports don't count. :cool:

Mr teX
09-20-2013, 07:27 PM

While this is true, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush & these kids don't have the foresight to see that. That free education they're being offered but don't want will pay for itself 10 fold once their careers are over........ if they go ahead & graduate that is. to To be honest, They're really getting more than that when you sit & think about it. Universities have to feed, house and take care of these kids medically while they are there. That easily runs into the10's of thousands over a 4 year period...So the university rakes in a few million a year...that gets eaten up pretty fast taking care of 53 man roster on a football team, basketball team, baseball team & whatever else team the university may have.

Now while guys like Johnny Manziel might ultimately be losing money in this regard, that 3rd string punter on the same team is actually running a deficit for the university b/c i'm damn sure nobody is there to see him play or are offering him money & endorsement deals. & there are way more 3rd string punter student athlete types than there are Johnny Manziel mega star athlete types. Then once you factor in how uneven the money is from sport to sport (football vs any other college sport), The potential for inequities between mens and womens sports which i'm pretty sure is a violation of title IX, its just turns into a big mess.

So bottom line for me, i don't feel sorry for any of these guys talking about paying rent & having to buy food. Those are problems that they create for themselves, they don't have to have those problems. Stay in the damn dorms and eat on the meal plans the schools offer you if you can't afford to do anything else...Tired of hearing the excuses these dudes have for doing something they know they shouldn't be doing.

:rant:

76Texan
09-20-2013, 07:40 PM
That's an absolute joke. We all know a large percentage of these players are not passing college level curriculum. Vince Young's Wonderlic score would suggest that he is not literate and yet he has a degree from a prestigous university.

And that's a big flaw in the system right there.
They are not giving a good number of these guys a educational scholarship.
Those guys are there to play football only; they are not really students.

drs23
09-20-2013, 07:50 PM

What's your gig man? Just hatin' on Foster? I've not really read anything in any of your posts that indicate otherwise.

I really think you don't get it by the lame comments you've made here.

Just me maybe?

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Regular students pay ungodly amounts of money just to attend college, most have part time jobs, and stuck paying off student loans for years. So unless the university is going to give money to every student, they dont need to give any to athletes. They arent special

How many "regular students" do you see 70,000 - 100,000 paying customers filing into enormous stadiums so they can watch those students study history or economics or engineering or law?

How many of those "regular students" have ESPN or Fox Sports or the major networks camping out in their labs or classrooms or study halls so they can broadcast closeups and slo-mo's of them writing term papers or conducting lab experiments...??

How many of those "regular students" have whole segments of this very msg board dedicated to watching their every performance or reviewing their every test score so they can predict which corporate firm will "draft them"?

Not special??

I'm guessing you forgot the sarcasm smiley didn't you?

StarStruck
09-20-2013, 08:26 PM
How many "regular students" do you see 70,000 - 100,000 paying customers filing into enormous stadiums so they can watch those students study history or economics or engineering or law?

How many of those "regular students" have ESPN or Fox Sports or the major networks camping out in their labs or classrooms or study halls so they can broadcast closeups and slo-mo's of them writing term papers or conducting lab experiments...??

How many of those "regular students" have whole segments of this very msg board dedicated to watching their every performance or reviewing their every test score so they can predict which corporate firm will "draft them"?

Not special??

LOL, as I was reading quickly and came to the question of say, what? Goodness, there is a university here in Texas with their own network. I don't think anyone has to guess there the money came from.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Arian didn't call a press conference today about this subject. He wasn't even answering questions in recent history (during this season) as TK and HouTex have asserted. These quotes are all from the documentary and were filmed during the off-season.

So slow your roll. The timing isn't on Foster, its on the media.

I did not assert he did this during the season. Whether last offseason, or next, I don't like it. The biggest reason I am against this is that it's going to cause some college student to lose his ride, or eligibility because I believe the NCAA is going to be forced to crack down on it.

It sucks, but Cam Newton, Reggie Bush, & Arian Foster figured out how to get away with it & looking at Cam, it wasn't easy.

Something needs to be done..... maybe, but I don't feel like Arian should be doing it.

'cak makes a good point. His popularity may be the thing that gets something rolling. The fact that Tennessee is already screwed... probably does make it perfect timing for him to say something.

But I don't like it. Still would have liked it more (still not liking it) if he brought this up after being named Super Bowl MVP in February 2014.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 08:41 PM

He told his coach, "Buy me & my boys some Tacos, or I'm going to do something stupid."

I don't know what the rules are. I don't like the current system, but I think he just "ruined" it for the guys who need the money & are getting it now.

If he truly felt he "needed" to do something about it I think he's smart enough to do it in a way better than this.

ArlingtonTexan
09-20-2013, 08:48 PM
http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2012_Bowl_Study.pdf

For those who like facts instead of pre-existing notions...and remember these graduation rates are for bowl teams which means most of the so-called "football' factories are represented.

EllisUnit
09-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Not special??

I dont give a damn who these kids are, our if they fill seats at a stadium. Tell me which is helpful to society. A Doctor, physcologist, Vet, Teacher or a Damn football player ???

And by the way these kids are only "special" because people like us make them appear "special".

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 08:59 PM
They arent special

Not picking on you, Ellis, but I see/hear this argument all the time. I always tell people to think about that in reverse. If they aren't special, then why the hell are they getting an education just because they can play a game really well? Maybe I play tiddlywinks really well, but no one offered me a free education.

While this is true, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush & these kids don't have the foresight to see that.

I don't have a problem with the acknowledgement that an education may well be worth far more than whatever compensation they receive immediately, philosophy degrees notwithstanding. But forcing people to take pay in the commodity of your choice is not something I can get with. As I said upthread, this was the genesis of currency in civilization - convertible commodities.

If the kids want to skip college, I'm OK with making more room for scientists, mathematicians, etc.

Texanmike02
09-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I dont give a damn who these kids are, our if they fill seats at a stadium. Tell me which is helpful to society. A Doctor, physcologist, Vet, Teacher or a Damn football player ???

And by the way these kids are only "special" because people like us make them appear "special".

How much money do those kids out on the field bring into the university that produces the doctors, lawyers vets and teachers?

More than that though, if you're 18-20ish and someone offers you money on the side who can say they honestly wouldn't take it? How many people really believe that any star player isn't taking money? They all are.

Mike

EllisUnit
09-20-2013, 09:07 PM
How much money do those kids out on the field bring into the university that produces the doctors, lawyers vets and teachers?

More than that though, if you're 18-20ish and someone offers you money on the side who can say they honestly wouldn't take it? How many people really believe that any star player isn't taking money? They all are.

Mike

So none of these kids pay to go to school, the athletes pay for everyones schooling haha

EllisUnit
09-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Mike

Not saying i would turn it down either, but i dont agree that these kids need special money hand outs because they play NCAA football like some people are trying to claim.

Playoffs
09-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Tennessee vice chancellor and director of athletics Dave Hart in a statement in response to Texans RB Arian Foster saying he received money while playing for the Volunteers: "We can't speak to something that allegedly happened a long time ago. What we can say is that the values and priorities or our athletics department and our football program are aligned, and the constant education of our student-athletes regarding the rules and the consequences of their choices is of the highest priority."http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rodgl9

RCPM
09-20-2013, 09:23 PM
The ncaa is a joke. I hope that today all ncaa athletes have enough food in there fridge for crying out loud.

silvrhand
09-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Sigh.. Arian.. You would think he would be more "psychological" about this and move on. I'm tired of him whining about how hard he had, how he was disrespected.. Good god get over it and move on.

Players receive full ride degrees, room, board, food, books, etc. That adds up to a ton of money, depending on the school that can be upwards of 150k+ for schools.

Get over it move on, and deal with it. I find it hard to believe NCAA athletes at a large SEC school would starve on the weekend. Maybe he partied and drank all his money up in beer? Now that I would have and did do.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 09:25 PM
http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2012_Bowl_Study.pdf

For those who like facts instead of pre-existing notions...and remember these graduation rates are for bowl teams which means most of the so-called "football' factories are represented.

Might as well separate the NCAAF from the colleges all together. Turn it into a "minor-league" system that it is & pay these athletes.

rmartin65
09-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Athletic scholarships are bull****. That is all I have to say.

EllisUnit
09-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Might as well separate the NCAAF from the colleges all together. Turn it into a "minor-league" system that it is & pay these athletes.

Agree, most college athletes dont finish school anyways. Sure you have a select few who are smart enough to do so, but most dont.

ThaShark316
09-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Athletic scholarships are bull****. That is all I have to say.

They don't hear you, bro.

rmartin65
09-20-2013, 09:36 PM
They don't hear you, bro.

I don't care, bro.

ThaShark316
09-20-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't care, bro.

I'm agreeing with you, fyi...

"They don't hear you" = They better open their ears, etc.

Thorn
09-20-2013, 10:10 PM
http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-chemical-solutions-overreaction-joke.jpg

Texanmike02
09-20-2013, 10:12 PM
So none of these kids pay to go to school, the athletes pay for everyones schooling haha

Yeah, you're right. It isn't like UT brings in 37 million from football. How many students do you think would have to attend to pay that much money? Now throw in the money from the alumni and the football program is paying for a ton of stuff.

Mike

infantrycak
09-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Agree, most college athletes dont finish school anyways. Sure you have a select few who are smart enough to do so, but most dont.

Try more than 70% graduate - Link (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8551210/ncaa-graduation-rates-improving-football-basketball)

ArlingtonTexan
09-20-2013, 10:16 PM

From a most ethical standpoint you are correct. The current system benefits the NCAA and NFL directly and those student -athletes who value education (no matter when they understand the idea of value). the people most destroyed by this system are those who are not good students or just don't value formal education. At least in baseball (smaller extent) basketball, there are options to pursue for those guys ( or for those guys who are so good that they don't need to stay in college as an academic fraud 3/4 years).

Bulls on Parade
09-20-2013, 10:24 PM
I was listening to a RC Slocum interview on 1560 AM The Game, and during the conversation I heard Texas A&M received $740 million dollars in recent donations and pledges during the past year? It's hard to pinpoint how much exactly the football program is responsible for earning the University, but I'm sure it was a hefty percentage. You don't just increase by $300 million out of the blue. Not even the University of Texas in Austin has raised $740 million in one year.

That's a crazy amount for any University to haul in. The least they can do is pay student athletes a couple hundred bucks to buy some groceries for the week? I can't blame Johnny Manziel if he made a lot of profit signing his autographs on various items. Texas A&M sure isn't going to apologize for marketing him as a cash cow.

But that being said, it's understandable why Arian Foster accepted the money in college. He really needed it. I think Johnny Manziel comes from a rich family so his case is a little different.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 10:32 PM
I thought this was appropriate here:

Just stumbled across this article......

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/savannah-state-60-point-underdog-third-time-less-143627016--ncaaf.html
Savannah State is a 60-point underdog for the third time in less than two seasons

If you need an example of a college football team willing to get mauled for a significant payday, look no further than Savannah State.

The Tigers are 60 point underdogs to Miami on Saturday, the third time they've been on the wrong side of a 60 point (or more) point spread since 2012.

Last season, Savannah State opened against Oklahoma State and the line on that game was a whopping 65.5 points before kickoff. Oklahoma State covered easily, 84-0. So the following week, Savannah State was even a bigger underdog against Florida State.

That line opened at 70 points and went down to a meager 65 by kickoff. But Savannah State covered this time, only losing to Florida State 55-0. The line against Miami Saturday opened at 55, but quickly shot up to 60 points.

Will Miami score at least 60 points to cover? They haven't scored over 60 since 2002. Your best play may be with Savannah State.

For both games last season, Savannah State took home $860,000. It'll make $375,000 against Miami. That's over $1 million for three likely blowouts. Given how hard it can be to balance an athletic budget at a school in the FCS, you can't blame Savannah State for taking the large paydays when they present themselves, can you?

Just for grins I'm taking Miami -60. I'm not really betting due to my horrible luck when money is on the table, but just for grins.

ArlingtonTexan
09-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Try more than 70% graduate - Link (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8551210/ncaa-graduation-rates-improving-football-basketball)

Yeah... I posted a comprehensive link on #101 on the actual graduation success of football athletes, but some people are going to take the exception as the rule.

I have personal experience with my nephews as scholarship athletes and know even more people who teach at large schools (including Ok State) who tell much different stories than the "all athletes are not real students" crowd.

drs23
09-20-2013, 11:05 PM

Wasn't that a wart on DeVier Posey? He worked and "made too much money" and, well you know the rest. Where's the line? Seems very blurry to me.

drs23
09-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Expected nothing less from you. Thanks. :clap:

steelbtexan
09-20-2013, 11:30 PM
So Arian is a rat.

^^^^
This

Foster doesn't realize if he wasn't able to carry the rock nobody would give a crap what this Pseudo intellects thoughts on life are.

Football players giving thoughts of wisdom/political/or any other thing in life = LOL

drs23
09-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Which do you watch on Sundays?

My Doctor, lawyer and Indian Chief buddies are at my house watching the game played by those "Damn football player(s)"! :kitten:

:D

DocBar
09-21-2013, 12:25 AM
If this BS becomes a distraction, I don't like it. If it doesn't, I don't care. I don't particularly agree that a good college football player's education, room and board equate to the vast amount of revenue generated by their play. The biggest issue is what happens to a player who suffers a career ending injury in college. What happens to his full ride and the rest of his life, when he's a cripple, can't work for a living, and lost his only route to an education by being injured?

Since the Olympics accept professional athletes now, what's the big deal about amateur status?

Regardless, there are countless points of view. I earned my education through night courses and distance learning. I held down a full time job, often working 70-84 hours a week. Some have had it harder. My brother worked for almost 8 years getting his degree and he doesn't even work in the field it's in.

DocBar
09-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Which do you watch on Sundays?

My Doctor, lawyer and Indian Chief buddies are at my house watching the game played by those "Damn football player(s)"! :kitten:

:DI could've gotten a degree in Indian Chief? Is that a BA or a BS? Regardless, the headdress would go great with my shirts on Hawaiian shirt Fridays. :dancer:

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 12:34 AM
^^^^
This

Foster doesn't realize if he wasn't able to carry the rock nobody would give a crap what this Pseudo intellects thoughts on life are.

Football players giving thoughts of wisdom/political/or any other thing in life = LOL

Yeah because the thoughts of your average person are so profound.

Damn athletes should learn that despite having 1000 microphones a year stuck in their face, nobody wants to hear what they have to say.

And lord knows we wouldn't want to get information from people with actual knowledge - "yeah, supersize the fries for me, but only if you can tell me whether college football players get paid." Mind boggling temerity for Arian to have answered his phone and accepted an interview about college football.

Allegra
09-21-2013, 01:58 AM
nah he's a free spirit that enjoys tacos.

As long as they're sort of vegan. lol::D

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Yeah because the thoughts of your average person are so profound.

Damn athletes should learn that despite having 1000 microphones a year stuck in their face, nobody wants to hear what they have to say.

And lord knows we wouldn't want to get information from people with actual knowledge - "yeah, supersize the fries for me, but only if you can tell me whether college football players get paid." Mind boggling temerity for Arian to have answered his phone and accepted an interview about college football.

So do you care about AF's opinions on anything other than his current profession? (Playing football)

I mean do you really care if AF got paid in college? Or do you care more if he picks up the blitz on 3rd down against Baltimore on Sunday?

Crap like this is the REASON AF went undrafted. Lets see, in the last week AF has complained about his role with the Texans. Despite the fact that Gary is trying to prolong his career by taking some of the load off of AF, due to the 350 carries AF had to shoulder last yr. The Texans are 2-0 and AF is complaining. (A real team guy) Brilliant!!!!

Also in the last week he basically ratted out his college. Could this be to divert attention from his playing time comments? If AF was half as smart as he thinks he is, then he would know when to keep his trap shut.

gcates
09-21-2013, 02:17 AM
This does not change my view of Foster one bit, and anyone who would do a complete 180 on the guy over this is ridiculous. The NCAA makes millions off these kids, so to sit there and act like taking any money is "classless" or somehow morally wrong is just stupid.

ObsiWan
09-21-2013, 02:37 AM
I'd be all over something like this.
Semi-pro leagues like they have in baseball or developmental leagues like the NBA has would work just fine.

Not all of these kids are college material anyway (see Vince Young) why are they taking up a classroom spot from somebody that will actually study and benefit from the education?

Because those guys bring big bucks into the universities that's why. Good luck getting the university chancellors (and the NCAA) to give up all that cash.

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 02:49 AM
So do you care about AF's opinions on anything other than his current profession? (Playing football)

I mean do you really care if AF got paid in college? Or do you care more if he picks up the blitz on 3rd down against Baltimore on Sunday?

Crap like this is the REASON AF went undrafted. Lets see, in the last week AF has complained about his role with the Texans. Despite the fact that Gary is trying to prolong his career by taking some of the load off of AF, due to the 350 carries AF had to shoulder last yr. The Texans are 2-0 and AF is complaining. (A real team guy) Brilliant!!!!

Also in the last week he basically ratted out his college. Could this be to divert attention from his playing time comments? If AF was half as smart as he thinks he is, then he would know when to keep his trap shut.

Sure I think he would be an interesting guy to sit down with and have dinner and I would expect the conversation to go beyond football.

No I don't care if he got paid. I think it is systemic. Of course play is the primary concern as a fan of the team.

I thought the play time deal was overblown BS and said so at the time.

I don't consider truthfully talking about violations to be ratting out. It is the system he is talking about and the violations are real. Secret society BS is what aids corruption in any venue whether it be politics, sports, business, etc.

I don't believe "this kind of behavior" was his draft problem. Tennessee went to a RBBC system and he had injuries. I think that is what had his draft stock slip along with some work ethic questions which he has since answered.

No it does not have anything to do with his recent workload comments. He gave the interview months ago and the timing of the release was not his decision. That is just an erroneous allegation.

BigSteve
09-21-2013, 02:57 AM

According to Rivals, he was ranked 22nd nationwide. They already had Gerald Riggs (ranked 2nd) there as a starter so I'm sure recruits were not too thrilled to attend Tenn. He also had offers from North Carolina, Oregon, Oregon St., and West Virginia.

You telling me he couldn't afford ramen? The staple of a college diet for most students. It's as if no other student attending college is broke or has a tough time. If colleges begin to pay athletes, you know who is going to suffer? The other 20,000+ students who pay tuition since those costs will be going up.

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 03:19 AM
You telling me he couldn't afford ramen? The staple of a college diet for most students. It's as if no other student attending college is broke or has a tough time. If colleges begin to pay athletes, you know who is going to suffer? The other 20,000+ students who pay tuition since those costs will be going up.

Now we are off into pure silliness. You don't build top athletes on Ramen.

And no tuition would not go up for the other students. Football is a profit center and the expense involved in this discussion is a drop in the bucket. There doesn't even have to be an expense - let them work or let the boosters who happily fork over millions donate funds for player support.

Somehow lost in this discussion is the fact not all players are on scholarship.

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 03:23 AM
Sure I think he would be an interesting guy to sit down with and have dinner and I would expect the conversation to go beyond football.

No I don't care if he got paid. I think it is systemic. Of course play is the primary concern as a fan of the team.

I thought the play time deal was overblown BS and said so at the time.

I don't consider truthfully talking about violations to be ratting out. It is the system he is talking about and the violations are real. Secret society BS is what aids corruption in any venue whether it be politics, sports, business, etc.

I don't believe "this kind of behavior" was his draft problem. Tennessee went to a RBBC system and he had injuries. I think that is what had his draft stock slip along with some work ethic questions which he has since answered.

No it does not have anything to do with his recent comments. He gave the interview months ago and the timing of the release was not his decision. That is just an erroneous allegation.

Agrree to disagree

1. I wouldn't waste my time
2. Me either
3. AF is being selfih (Pattern?) No big deal to you. A root of the Texans problems of not being able to get over the hump to me.
4. You have problems at college and with the Coaches, then talk about getting paid while you were there after you get paid in the pros
5. He still has maturity problems. IMHO The difference is he just got paid big $$$$.
6. Not disagreeing with you, just want to know where you got this info?

TheMatrix31
09-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Who cares. The NCAA is pointless and he's in the NFL now.

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 03:35 AM

The article in the OP says he was contacted in February to be one of the folks interviewed for a documentary called Schooled: the Price of College Sports. Someone provided another article that the interview took place shortly thereafter. The documentary is about to come out. The folks making the documentary released the clips which seems like a pretty transparent effort to get press for the documentary prior to its release.

Edit - there were 27 people interviewed for the documentary.

ObsiWan
09-21-2013, 03:40 AM

I posted this earlier in this thread with a source link for reference...

the interview with Foster was filmed sometime this past winter (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130920/arian-foster-documentary-comments-about-being-paid-at-tennessee/#ixzz2fSFHGfNe)...

Add Arian Foster's voice to the growing chorus who believe that NCAA athletes -- football and basketball players, in particular -- should be compensated for their labor. Last February, the Houston Texans running back was approached by the producers for the documentary Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2fTJQRcvy (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130920/arian-foster-documentary-comments-about-being-paid-at-tennessee/#ixzz2fTJQRcvy)

Arian didn't call a press conference about this subject. He was asked what he knew by the producers of the documentary. These quotes are all from the documentary and were filmed during the off-season.
So again, the timing of this "news" isn't on Foster, it's on the sports media. It was SI who decided now was the time to "break" this story a good EIGHT MONTHS after the interview.

Why now? Why not after the season? Why not during that time between OTAs and preseason when nothing much is happening? Why not after the documentary airs in mid-October?
You'll have to ask SI.com to get that answer.

ThaShark316
09-21-2013, 04:06 AM
This does not change my view of Foster one bit, and anyone who would do a complete 180 on the guy over this is ridiculous. The NCAA makes millions off these kids, so to sit there and act like taking any money is "classless" or somehow morally wrong is just stupid.

Folks been at Arian's throat since that vegan ****. 2-3 page thread if Watt or Dre said it.

Txn_in_FL
09-21-2013, 04:53 AM
I'm not weeding through 8 pages of this so sorry if this has been covered.

These guys make so much money for the NCAA and their schools that it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't buy the "They get a free education and room and board" argument either.

Amateur sports is a scam and a way for the rich to make as much off the poor athlete as they can, while they can. I'm not one for conspiracies or for "The man keeping us down", but what goes on in college sports is absolutely disgusting.

A college degree? Seriously? Those kids are there to put asses in seats and sell merchandise. Most of these kids come from poor backgrounds and are being used by the system. One of the reasons I love watching Johnny Football is because of the absolute zero effs he gives about the establishment. There is nothing they can hold over him. What is the NCAA going to do to him? Suspend him? What is A&M going to do? Get rid of him? Nope. He makes way too much for A&M and he doesn't need the money to turn pro because he already has cash to burn. He's the perfect foil to the NCAA and I love it.

thunderkyss
09-21-2013, 08:47 AM
I'd be all over something like this.
Semi-pro leagues like they have in baseball or developmental leagues like the NBA has would work just fine.

Not all of these kids are college material anyway (see Vince Young) why are they taking up a classroom spot from somebody that will actually study and benefit from the education?

Because those guys bring big bucks into the universities that's why. Good luck getting the university chancellors (and the NCAA) to give up all that cash.

In this "minor league" system, the teams can still be associated with the colleges & the schools can still get revenue from the program.... but the players would be employees. They can choose to go to school, or they can choose not to.

HJam72
09-21-2013, 08:49 AM
I think they should just pay them some reasonable amount that gets them by, but does not make them "highly" paid. Pay them all the same amount also, I think. They should still not be allowed to sell autographs (or anything else) or take money from anyone, except the pre-approved amount they get paid from the school, NCAA, or whoever is the official payer.

I don't think paying these guys $20,000 a year is going to spoil them.

2012Champs
09-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I think they should just pay them some reasonable amount that gets them by, but does not make them "highly" paid. Pay them all the same amount also, I think. They should still not be allowed to sell autographs (or anything else) or take money from anyone, except the pre-approved amount they get paid from the school, NCAA, or whoever is the official payer.

I don't think paying these guys $20,000 a year is going to spoil them.

In the 11-12 school year there were over 450k NCAA student athelets so at 20k each that's over 9 billion so let's figure out where that money is coming from on top of all the other benefits they get

HJam72
09-21-2013, 10:19 AM
In the 11-12 school year there were over 450k NCAA student athelets so at 20k each that's over 9 billion so let's figure out where that money is coming from on top of all the other benefits they get

Man, could I turn this into a no spin debate about equal pay for women.

ObsiWan
09-21-2013, 10:45 AM
All the more reason to totally divorce college academics from big business college athletics. Go to school to learn. You want to play sports turn semi-pro. Or do like swimmers and skiiers and X-games folks and participants in other second and third tier sports do, foot the bill yourself.

2012Champs
09-21-2013, 10:52 AM
All the more reason to totally divorce college academics from big business college athletics. Go to school to learn. You want to play sports turn semi-pro. Or do like swimmers and skiiers and X-games folks and participants in other second and third tier sports do, foot the bill yourself.

I would guess if that happend then the graduation rate would tank

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Are you saying that is the number of scholarship athletes?

2012Champs
09-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Are you saying that is the number of scholarship athletes?

I said NCAA student athelets. I'm not sure there is accurate data on full or partial ride participants. Would you propose only paying those already getting most things for free and not paying for others who pay all or most of their expenses when they are all bound by NCAA rules?

Edit I did find a numer of 140k which would be close to 3 billion a year

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 11:18 AM
College players are always going to get paid illegaly. By paying them legaly all you are doing is changing the baseline. Not to mention the title 9 implications for paying male athletes.

The NCAA isn't perfect, but I can see why the NCAA does things the way they do. Players in the major sports would probably alreadly be getting paid if it wasn't for title 9 implications.

BTW, poor athletes do get Pell grant $$$$$ each semester. When I went to school it was around $1000 a semester. I imagine that amount has gone up. The parties were great when the guys got their Pell grant $$$$ in.

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Would you propose only paying those already getting most things for free and not paying for others who pay all or most of their expenses when they are all bound by NCAA rules?

I think it would have to examined more comprehensively. The NCAA rules are not the same for everyone. As I have mentioned tennis players can tutor or hold camps to make money and football players cannot. The more restrictions on the athlete, the greater the justification for support of some sort.

EllisUnit
09-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you're right. It isn't like UT brings in 37 million from football. How many students do you think would have to attend to pay that much money? Now throw in the money from the alumni and the football program is paying for a ton of stuff.

Mike

I understand the universities are making a killing, but the football program still doesnt pay for other non athlete students to attend schol is my point.

EllisUnit
09-21-2013, 12:01 PM

ok i gess i should of been more specific, a lot of college athletes dont go pro, i was talking about the superstars who do go pro and make it to the nfl.

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I understand the universities are making a killing, but the football program still doesnt pay for other non athlete students to attend schol is my point.

No, but the football program does pay for the swimming/soccer/tennis/most title 9 programs. Back in the day these programs either survived on their own through alumni donations or didn't exist.

There's alot of pressure on football/basketball programs to produce enough revenue to sustain these other sports. It isn't right, but it is court ordered. Liberal Supreme Court at the time this law was enacted.

76Texan
09-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah... I posted a comprehensive link on #101 on the actual graduation success of football athletes, but some people are going to take the exception as the rule.

I have personal experience with my nephews as scholarship athletes and know even more people who teach at large schools (including Ok State) who tell much different stories than the "all athletes are not real students" crowd.

Where did you get the "all athletes are not real students" from, Arlington?

76Texan
09-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Exactly.

76Texan
09-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I would guess if that happend then the graduation rate would tank

The ethical way to do it is not to accept non-academic-qualified players to the schools.

Create a farm system for these guys; vocational schools maybe.

Give them a clearer choice, and the universities/colleges don't have to be concerned about unequal treatments of student athletes.

You are either a non-profit entity or a for-profit entity.

You need profit from the football program to create or maintain other programs?
Shame on you!
You pay a football coach millions of dollars, shame on you!
You're a profit-making machine; the end does not support the mean unless you clearly define all things.

Rey
09-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but at the end of every year you go into your coaches office and he tells you whether or not you'll have your scholarship renewed. I've seen upper class men have their scholarships yanked. Obviously, that's devastating. These are year deals and not all colleges will be kind hearted and keep you around if you're of no use to them. Not only should guys be paid but they should be able to sell autographs and accept gifts.

There is no argument for competitive balance. 5 star recruits aren't going to holeinthewall state anyways. The schools with the best facilities and the most money are already getting the best recruits. Need to stop pretending. College football is extremely profitable. More of that money should go to the guys actually making it so.

bckey
09-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Vitale likens Foster to a prostitute

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dick-vitale-calls-arian-foster-a-prostitute-on-twitter-092113?ocid=ansfox11

gcates
09-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Vitale likens Foster to a prostitute

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dick-vitale-calls-arian-foster-a-prostitute-on-twitter-092113?ocid=ansfox11
Dick Vitale is an idiot.

silvrhand
09-21-2013, 03:20 PM
So as most of you would have it.

- remove the schools from the system, which would drop the overall college education rate of people in this country?
- make them go to a farm based system, where money is all that matters.

So in essence you'd have less educated athletes and basically kill a large amount of money that funnels into the college system. This money just doesn't go to the football team it impacts all college athletics, and the schools which in turn allows for better facilities, helping student athletes with injuries, and better overall education for our young adults.

Sounds like a fabulous idea. /sarcasm

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 03:24 PM
You are either a non-profit entity or a for-profit entity.

You need profit from the football program to create or maintain other programs?
Shame on you!
You pay a football coach millions of dollars, shame on you!
You're a profit-making machine; the end does not support the mean unless you clearly define all things.

Your bold sentence makes the remainder nonsense. Entities are judged as a whole whether they are for profit or non-profit.

They don't call them non-profit departments although those may exist in either for or non profit entities.

EllisUnit
09-21-2013, 03:25 PM
No, but the football program does pay for the swimming/soccer/tennis/most title 9 programs. Back in the day these programs either survived on their own through alumni donations or didn't exist.

There's alot of pressure on football/basketball programs to produce enough revenue to sustain these other sports. It isn't right, but it is court ordered. Liberal Supreme Court at the time this law was enacted.

yes but these football athletes still dont deserve extra on the side IMO.

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but at the end of every year you go into your coaches office and he tells you whether or not you'll have your scholarship renewed. I've seen upper class men have their scholarships yanked. Obviously, that's devastating. These are year deals and not all colleges will be kind hearted and keep you around if you're of no use to them. Not only should guys be paid but they should be able to sell autographs and accept gifts.

There is no argument for competitive balance. 5 star recruits aren't going to holeinthewall state anyways. The schools with the best facilities and the most money are already getting the best recruits. Need to stop pretending. College football is extremely profitable. More of that money should go to the guys actually making it so.

I'm all for athletes making $$$$ off autographis. It's theirs and they should profit off of them. I'm not for changing the baseline. The reason football has to make all of this $$$$ for all of the court ordered non funded sports.

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm all for athletes making $$$$ off autographis. It's theirs and they should profit off of them. I'm not for changing the baseline. The reason football has to make all of this $$$$ for all of the court ordered non funded sports.

No they do not. They are not subject to Title IX at all if they do not take federal funds.

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 03:52 PM
No they do not. They are not subject to Title IX at all if they do not take federal funds.

Most colleges must take federal funds then. Because I've talked to people who should know and they told me Football/Basketball support all of the 2nd tier sports.

76Texan
09-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Your bold sentence makes the remainder nonsense. Entities are judged as a whole whether they are for profit or non-profit.

They don't call them non-profit departments although those may exist in either for or non profit entities.

I can't say I understand what you're trying to say.
Would you rephrase it please?

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Most colleges must take federal funds then. Because I've talked to people who should know and they told me Football/Basketball support all of the 2nd tier sports.

I don't doubt they do even where they are not required to do so. It would be a severe competitive disadvantage to only offer football and basketball or I think the schools believe that.

I can't say I understand what you're trying to say.
Would you rephrase it please?

You were talking about the system being wrong if football supported something else. Each department doesn't have to be revenue neutral only the school as a whole.

Texecutioner
09-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Arian Foster shows me more and more of his true colors. The guy has quickly become one of the biggest attention whores in the league now. Whether he is pouting on the sidelines or trying to get his name out in the news about himself breaking rules, or whatever else it may be on his twitter to garner attention to himself. Maybe his twitter feed has been slow lately, I'm not really sure. The guy clearly doesn't care about the fact that this could potentially effect his school and the present players. He doesn't care about the distraction it can cause the Texans either. Either way, I've seen and heard enough. I hate hearing whiny athletes like this talk like they had it bad in college.

Seriously, you people that actually buy into this crap from college athletes are extremely naive and gullible. These guys are treated like kings on campus. They are rock stars, and get all sorts of perks. They always have. Hell, even the fat O lineman are catching some of the hottest girls on campus. The majority of college students want to know them and hang out with them. They get a ton of extra help to pass their courses and they get a free education. Arian needed food and clothes?? Lol! Arian needs a muzzle. That is what he "currently" needs.

Texecutioner
09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Another thing that kills me is all of you people who haven't paid any attention to the last 20 years of moronic skilled athletes that have blown their wad and self destructed with the money they have made as adults. So yeah, lets pay these kids in college!!! Lol! Really?? You guys think that VY who is completely broke now wouldn't have totally ruined his college career has he been paid a lot of money while at Texas? Oh yeah, Maurice Clarrett wouldn't have bought a ton of guns with all of that cash. Yeah, Albert Haynesworth and Chris Johnson would have really stayed motivated had they gotten a lot of money in college wouldn't they.

http://www.munknee.com/78-of-nfl-players-go-bankrupt-within-5-years/

Yeah, lets forget about the fact that half of these players in college football come from backgrounds in the hood that believe in "ball till you fall" and waste their money on bling and materialistic things. But you guys want to trust these guys when they're only 18??? Man, the idea of paying college football players is dumber then anything our US government has ever tried. I continue to state that Americans are the dumbest people in the world. We have so much history and data and unique ways of gathering information to draw smart conclusions, yet we continually ruin things. Boxing, the NBA, and NCAA basketball have all been ruined by either "guaranteed contracts, corruption involving money with the commissioners, and to much money being offered to young college basketball players that leave the sport way to early." No reason to pay any attention to how increased revenue to the athletes has ruined that though. College football will be different. :chickendance:

gcates
09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I just think Arian is a good RB and has done well for this team, so what he did in college however many years ago doesn't bother me one bit. It's not a felony, he didn't kill or sexually assault anyone. He took some cash while in college...big freakin deal.

Texecutioner
09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I just think Arian is a good RB and has done well for this team, so what he did in college however many years ago doesn't bother me one bit. It's not a felony, he didn't kill or sexually assault anyone. He took some cash while in college...big freakin deal.

I wonder if you would feel differently if you didn't root for the Texans and you just rooted for his Alma Matter and they ended up getting sanctioned over this? Obviously Foster doesn't really care if something like that were to potentially happen. He would like his story to be talked about in the media.

gcates
09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
But I don't care about the Vols, so I won't get my underpants all bunched up about it.

It's really a non-issue that as relates to the Houston Texans, though some would like to make it one.

Texecutioner
09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
But I don't care about the Vols, so I won't get my underpants all bunched up about it.

It's really a non-issue that as relates to the Houston Texans, though some would like to make it one.

So basically you could care less what any Houston Texan athlete does or says as long as it doesn't effect his current team? Is there any line that you draw at all or is anything okay as long as they play for "your" favorite team? Glad to know that people stand for something here.

This is like saying well that guy that was drunk last night at a .20 and drove his car home from the bar was just fine as long as he didn't hit me or my family members. He hit someone else, but it wasn't one of us so since we weren't effected I don't see it as an issue.

Sure my example was a little extreme involving drinking and driving, but it's the same concept that I could apply to tons of things. It's a selfish mentality that suggests you have no problem with anything until you or your personal interests are effected by it. Until that happens, life can go on as is, but when it happens to me...............

BullBlitz
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
This is nothing new. College athletes have been accepting benefits for years.

Just one of the reasons why I have little interest in major college athletics.

Texian
09-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Again just what I observed at Texas Tech, full ride scholarhips had free rooms on campus, 3 meals a day in their own personal dining hall, free tuition, free tutors available, free shoes, clothes, backpacks, and other apparel. Not to mention nutritionists, doctors, conditioning coaches, etc.

Your observation is on the money. Do I believe Foster took money from Tenn? YES! For food OR rent? NO!

StarStruck
09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Your observation is on the money. Do I believe Foster took money from Tenn? YES! For food OR rent? NO!

That sums up what I think. The story about needing food and clothes sound good, but an average student poor or not will have food or money for food. Depends on the student, but usually mama, auntie, church and neighbors are going to see to it that their local hero will get the care package. I think this would especially be the case if that's all the family has to contribute toward the person's education. Also, a good athlete will need only to show up at many establishments and somehow that check will be taken care of. Now, if clothing meant a new pair of Jordan's every two months, then perhaps a little hush money helped, but that's a want and not a need.

However, in Arian's statement he mentioned choosing between paying rent or buy food. That sounds like he wasn't on full scholarship, and if true, why would it be an issue if someone gave him money to supplement his living expenses.

If I had been in the same situation, I would have thought it best to not share the information, but if on the other hand I thought the world needed to know, I would simply say I did accept the money because it was available and I took it, save the hard luck reason.

Arian is an excellent running back and exciting to watch, but he is beginning to remind me more of Tiki Barber. By that JMHO no one can deny the talent, but the personality is a little unsettling.

Hooston Texan
09-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I used to be of the school of thought that student/athletes taking money was a horrible thing. I no longer believe that.

Many of the problems that we face as a country is due to the combination of ineptitude and gross corruption in our higher education system. A whole generation is drowning in (non-dischargeable) student loan debt for degrees that are absolutely worthless to them. This is because colleges have gone on a spending/hiring binge so they can raise their tuitions to capture the student loan subsidies that the government hands out. (I realize this paragraph belongs on a different board, but it leads into the rest of my thought on the subject. Now, to tie that thought in to the topic: )

The reason there is no meaningful playoff system is the corruption inherent in the structure of major college football. None of the petty lords want to give up their little fiefdoms. And it is no accident that a monster like Sandusky operated out of a college campus. Oversight and accountability are foreign concepts to academics.

Colleges make vast sums off the free labor of athletes. Much of that money funds the gory excess noted above. In the meantime, they want to limit what athletes make so that more colleges, theoretically, can profit off the college football money machine. The UVA's and Kentucky's of the world don't want every major athlete going to Ohio State and LSU, so they have these rules to try to eliminate the athlete's ability to make money. Yes, the kids can get a degree, but most of those who actually manage to earn degrees end up doing nothing substantive with them.

I don't begrudge a kid from a poor background (or, any background, for that matter) doing what he can to make a buck. It's against the rules set up by an exploitative monopoly, but I don't consider it a morally wrong act. If someone wants to give them money, I don't have a problem with them taking it.

Colleges and college sports are moral cesspools. I wish I could quit watching, but I no longer care if a kid is trying to get something for himself.

TheMatrix31
09-21-2013, 06:20 PM
It's Saturday.

We play the Ravens tomorrow.

Who cares.

Texecutioner
09-21-2013, 06:25 PM
The arguments that I continue to hear about paying college athletes are so silly to me that I can just as easily make the argument that the college students that attend the school should get some sort of revenue sharing and that they should get paid as well. After all, they are the ones that pay for the tickets to games and make all of this happen right? They are the ones that pay for their tuitions as well and help the school make money. Why can't they get a piece of the pie? Hell, they actually have to pay for classes and actually "go to class" so these professors can get their salaries. Without them there is no football team or revenue to build these giant programs.

Why not pay the alums that dedicate their time, efforts, and income to the school and the program every year? They are the ones that have helped and been loyal to these programs as well. Why not allow them to get some of the revenue too?

I could make a ton of arguments for why so and so need to be paid. However, college football and all college sports has been successful and has grown all these years under the current system where they aren't paid and where they get a free education and college experience. But I guess a free education isn't worth a damn these days to the self entitled.

Thorn
09-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't give a rats ass he took money in college, I just want him to start running like he used to. We got the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers, and the surprising 3-0 Chiefs in four of our next five games. That's a tough schedule for any team.

silentassassin
09-21-2013, 10:15 PM
However, college football and all college sports has been successful and has grown all these years under the current system where they aren't paid and where they get a free education and college experience. But I guess a free education isn't worth a damn these days to the self entitled.

I'm not going to defend the current model, but it blows my mind that this point is glossed over in every argument for paying the players.

Texecutioner
09-21-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm not going to defend the current model, but it blows my mind that this point is glossed over in every argument for paying the players.

Yeah, it's not like an education isn't worth at least $25,000 dollars to a major University when it is all said and done. And I'm low balling that figure pretty hard.

Shoot, if I had a degree right now I can promise you that I'd be making a lot more money and have a lot more opportunities. It's my fault that I don't have one, but I didn't have parents who would pay for an entire semester again and again for several years. People forget what a degree can and a big name as an ex college athlete can do for you in this country. For example, how many companies do you think would probably hire Vince YOung in Austin or in HOuston if VY gets a diploma from Texas? I can guarantee you that it probably would take him that long to get a nice cozy desk job somewhere that would pay him at least $75K which is nice money in any city in Texas. People tend to forget that kind of thing and how valuable that is for some ex athlete who has no job experience doing anything else.

DocBar
09-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah, it's not like an education isn't worth at least $25,000 dollars to a major University when it is all said and done. And I'm low balling that figure pretty hard.

Shoot, if I had a degree right now I can promise you that I'd be making a lot more money and have a lot more opportunities. It's my fault that I don't have one, but I didn't have parents who would pay for an entire semester again and again for several years. People forget what a degree can and a big name as an ex college athlete can do for you in this country. For example, how many companies do you think would probably hire Vince YOung in Austin or in HOuston if VY gets a diploma from Texas? I can guarantee you that it probably would take him that long to get a nice cozy desk job somewhere that would pay him at least $75K which is nice money in any city in Texas. People tend to forget that kind of thing and how valuable that is for some ex athlete who has no job experience doing anything else. That's simply not true. A BSEE will earn you around $40K starting out. With 10 or so years experience, you'll get to $60K. BSEE's are very much in demand right now. It's one of the highest paid fields right out of college.

There are degreed engineers looking for work at McDonalds right now. Do not underestimate the job market. It is very poor right now. VY's name recognition might get him $75K a year but his degree would get him maybe half that.

MEGA SWATT
09-21-2013, 11:39 PM

Good one

Lambert
09-21-2013, 11:43 PM

Shoot, if I had a degree right now I can promise you that I'd be making a lot more money and have a lot more opportunities. It's my fault that I don't have one, but I didn't have parents who would pay for an entire semester again and again for several years. People forget what a degree can and a big name as an ex college athlete can do for you in this country. For example, how many companies do you think would probably hire Vince YOung in Austin or in HOuston if VY gets a diploma from Texas? I can guarantee you that it probably would take him that long to get a nice cozy desk job somewhere that would pay him at least $75K which is nice money in any city in Texas. People tend to forget that kind of thing and how valuable that is for some ex athlete who has no job experience doing anything else.

First an apology: I haven't read all the posts. I have seen many threads like this one where all the "loyal" fans are vehemently against paying student athletes more money. Few realize that football players often do not have enough $ to eat---much less ask a girl out. I had a son who was on a D1 "full scholarship". He received $960 a month because he choose to live off campus. If he had choosen to live in a dorm, he would have received much less because the dorm rent would have been subtracted from the $960. Nevertheless, his rental cost him about $450 a month (dorm rents were about $600). That left him with about $500 to live on for the month---$125 a week. On top of the other school expenses that were covered, he had to pay for parking at $500 a semester, food (what do think it costs a week to feed a 250 Lb football player?) school supplies like computers, clothing, auto insurance, gas, utility bills, car repairs, cell phone, and off the field health insurance. He often was too broke to have a night out.

I'm not saying that we should pay these kids millions, but we should pay them enough so they can live comfortably on what they are given. I'm not talking new cars. I'm talking old cars. I'm talking enough money so that on top of the stress of trying to play football, and get good grades, they shouldn't have the added stress of wondering what they are going to do for food.

When I went to college, I worked my way through and graduated in 6 years. I wrestled for a couple of years, but had to give it up because I had to work----no schollies for Wrestling.

UCLA plays new Mexico State tonight. NMST is gonna get a whooping. But NMST is going to make nearly a million dollars. The kids will get beat up pretty badly, but the coach makes a cool $500,000. The 90,000+ fans iin the Rose bowl will have a great time, tailgating, drinking beer, wearing the colors, eating BBQ and watching the game. The vendors will all clean up. The players will get a soggy sandwich and a Gatoraide. Fair?

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 11:48 PM
First an apology: I haven't read all the posts. I have seen many threads like this one where all the "loyal" fans are vehemently against paying student athletes more money. Few realize that football players often do not have enough $ to eat---much less ask a girl out. I had a son who was on a D1 "full scholarship". He received $960 a month because he choose to live off campus. If he had choosen to live in a dorm, he would have received much less because the dorm rent would have been subtracted from the $960. Nevertheless, his rental cost him about $450 a month (dorm rents were about $600). That left him with about $500 to live in for the month---$125 a week. On top of the other school expenses that were covered, he had to pay for parking at $500 a semester, food (what do think it costs a week to feed a 250 Lb football player?) school supplies like computers, clothing, auto insurance, gas, utility bills, car repairs, cell phone, and off the field health insurance. He often was too broke to have a night out.

I'm not saying that we should pay these kids millions, but we should pay them enough so they can live comfortably on what they are given. I'm not talking new cars. I'm talking old cars. I'm talking enough money so that on top of the stress of trying to play football, and get good grades, they shouldn't have the added stress of wondering what they are going to do for food.

When I went to college, I worked my way through and graduated in 6 years. I wrestled for a couple of years, but had to give it up because I had to work----no schollies for Wrestling.

UCLA plays new Mexico State tonight. NMST is gonna get a whooping. But the school is going to make nearly a million dollars. The kids will get beat up pretty badly, but the coach makes a cool $500,000. The fans will have a great time, tailgating, drinking beer, wearing the colors, eating BBQ and watching the game. The vendors will all clean up. The players will get a soggy sandwich and a coke. Fair?

What about the Pell grant $$$$ that most athletes receive in addition to what you listed above.

gcates
09-22-2013, 12:24 AM
So basically you could care less what any Houston Texan athlete does or says as long as it doesn't effect his current team? Is there any line that you draw at all or is anything okay as long as they play for "your" favorite team? Glad to know that people stand for something here.

This is like saying well that guy that was drunk last night at a .20 and drove his car home from the bar was just fine as long as he didn't hit me or my family members. He hit someone else, but it wasn't one of us so since we weren't effected I don't see it as an issue.

Sure my example was a little extreme involving drinking and driving, but it's the same concept that I could apply to tons of things. It's a selfish mentality that suggests you have no problem with anything until you or your personal interests are effected by it. Until that happens, life can go on as is, but when it happens to me...............
Don't sit there and try to act you know anything about me. He took money in college, big deal. He didn't kill anyone, he didn't rape anyone...hell, it's not even a misdemeanor. The line draws itself.

Choose to be oversensitive if you want, but I have better things to do with my time.

Texn4life
09-22-2013, 01:02 AM
I find this as such a big non issue just because I've known a TON of guys that received extra benefits in college. Money, free meals, all kinds of stuff. Arian was either brave enough or stupid enough to admit it here depending on what side of the fence you stand on.

I see nothing wrong with kids being bought a meal, and don't see a problem with a kid getting 100 dollars in an envelope from a stranger so he can have a good weekend. When it extends to kids receiving cars and those kinds of luxuries then I can see where its a problem. The argument would be then well where do you draw the line, and thats where I understand the argument on both sides.

Lambert
09-22-2013, 01:12 AM
What about the Pell grant $$$$ that most athletes receive in addition to what you listed above.

Good question. A Pell grant is worth about $5,500 a year, another $450 a month. Undoubtedly, a Pell grant helps, but "most athletes" do not receive a Pell Grant. On a team of about 100 kids maybe 25 receive Pell Grants. Some parents have the $ to help the players with extra cash each month, some don't. The fact that they need to send money (if they have it) to the players belies the "Full scholarship" misnomer. A Pell grant is dependent on how much the "Family" makes. A family might make ok money, and therefore be ineligible for a Pell grant, but can not send their player money because they have other kids in college, have health problems, parents with health problems, etc. Also it's up to the parents or the player to fill out the FASFA form to see if they are eligible, and some famlies/kids are not up to this.

You have to realize that Pell grants are not just for football players or even other athletes, but for any student whose family falls into a low adjusted income bracket. So this is not just money for football players, and really isn't a lot to start with.

Another thing, the $960 a month mentioned above is just for when school is in session. Christmas break, Spring Break, Thanksgiving, they get "short checks". However, the landlord doesn't want to hear "short check" when the rent is due, nor do restaurants or supermarkets understand this concept very well. If a kid chooses to live in a dorm, he has to move out during the breaks. Where does he go? Buy a ticket back home? Sleep in his car?

A couple of years ago, the NCAA approved the paying of summer scholarships to students attending summer school. This was good for the football programs cause the kids could practice in the summer. If schools didn't take advantage of this, they would not be competitive at the beginning of the schedule with the schools that did. Some schools only pay for one summer school session, not two. Again, what happens to the budgets of the players that have no scholarship money for one summer school session? Do they move out and go home, try to find another place in a month when they come back? What happens to their bits of furniture? Kids used to be able to work during the summer to save a little $ for the next season. Now with only a month or so off, jobs are harder to find and the money, of course, is less.

Yeah, the kids might get a degree out of all this, but in today's market what is that degree worth?

This is going to change. The system is faulted and needs to be addressed. Changes are in the wind.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 01:32 AM
That's simply not true. A BSEE will earn you around $40K starting out. With 10 or so years experience, you'll get to $60K. BSEE's are very much in demand right now. It's one of the highest paid fields right out of college.

There are degreed engineers looking for work at McDonalds right now. Do not underestimate the job market. It is very poor right now. VY's name recognition might get him $75K a year but his degree would get him maybe half that.

Are those local numbers?

I'm pretty sure from Mississippi to Mexico a double E can be in the mid 80s within 5 years. Probably starting in the 70s.

I also know a GM at a local retail store knocking down $90K with a Management degree. & when I say local, I mean the Golden Triangle.

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Good question. A Pell grant is worth about $5,500 a year, another $450 a month. Undoubtedly, a Pell grant helps, but "most athletes" do not receive a Pell Grant. On a team of about 100 kids maybe 25 receive Pell Grants. Some parents have the $ to help the players with extra cash each month, some don't. The fact that they need to send money (if they have it) to the players belies the "Full scholarship" misnomer. A Pell grant is dependent on how much the "Family" makes. A family might make ok money, and therefore be ineligible for a Pell grant, but can not send their player money because they have other kids in college, have health problems, parents with health problems, etc. Also it's up to the parents or the player to fill out the FASFA form to see if they are eligible, and some famlies/kids are not up to this.

You have to realize that Pell grants are not just for football players or even other athletes, but for any student whose family falls into a low adjusted income bracket. So this is not just money for football players, and really isn't a lot to start with.

Another thing, the $960 a month mentioned above is just for when school is in session. Christmas break, Spring Break, Thanksgiving, they get "short checks". However, the landlord doesn't want to hear "short check" when the rent is due, nor do restaurants or supermarkets understand this concept very well. If a kid chooses to live in a dorm, he has to move out during the breaks. Where does he go? Buy a ticket back home? Sleep in his car?

A couple of years ago, the NCAA approved the paying of summer scholarships to students attending summer school. This was good for the football programs cause the kids could practice in the summer. If schools didn't take advantage of this, they would not be competitive at the beginning of the schedule with the schools that did. Some schools only pay for one summer school session, not two. Again, what happens to the budgets of the players that have no scholarship money for one summer school session? Do they move out and go home, try to find another place in a month when they come back? What happens to their bits of furniture? Kids used to be able to work during the summer to save a little $ for the next season. Now with only a month or so off, jobs are harder to find and the money, of course, is less.

Yeah, the kids might get a degree out of all this, but in today's market what is that degree worth?

This is going to change. The system is faulted and needs to be addressed. Changes are in the wind.

See, this is why i have a problem with paying athletes.

Yes, i know it's a great opportunity to be able to play for that big state university with great Traditioni in front of 75,000 - 100, 000 people. But if you've got to go more than 1 state or 6 hours away drive time to play for them and you know your family won't be able to help you pay for seen and unforseen expenses...you probably need to rule those schools out when deciding where to attend.

All your post really does is highlight how important it is for these kids to stay as close as possible to whatever kind of support systems they have. When school is out, go home and stay with your parents....eat and get shelter for free instead of having to worry about how you're gonna feed & clothe yourself when your scholarship / pell grant money runs out and possibly putting youself in a bad situation by accepting monetary gifts. Most of these guys have that option....i'm sure arian had that option....yet he chose to hop 10 states away from san diego to tennessee & put himself into a situation he wasnt really prepared for.

The other thing that people arent considering when deciding to pay these guys is how much more the door gets opened to bribing these athletes to throw games...
See the case of art schlicter.

Texn4life
09-22-2013, 02:36 AM

Yes, i know it's a great opportunity to be able to play for that big state university with great Traditioni in front of 75,000 - 100, 000 people. But if you've got to go more than 1 state or 6 hours away drive time to play for them and you know your family won't be able to help you pay for seen and unforseen expenses...you probably need to rule those schools out when deciding where to attend.

All your post really does is highlight how important it is for these kids to stay as close as possible to whatever kind of support systems they have. When school is out, go home and stay with your parents....eat and get shelter for free instead of having to worry about how you're gonna feed & clothe yourself when your scholarship / pell grant money runs out and possibly putting youself in a bad situation by accepting monetary gifts. Most of these guys have that option....i'm sure arian had that option....yet he chose to hop 10 states away from san diego to tennessee & put himself into a situation he wasnt really prepared for.

The other thing that people arent considering when deciding to pay these guysall how much more the door gets opened to bribing these athletes to throw games...

Sorry, I understand what you're saying but a lot of these guys need to get the hell out of dodge and stay there when they leave home for school. Back home is likely the last place they need to be especially on an extended break. Most of the kids he's talking about aren't really getting the true support they need at home anyway, probably come from down trodden neighborhoods, and need to be in a positive environment. Going back home to mom in Fifth Ward probably isn't the best idea for a kid even as much as he may love Mom.

I remember I would sometimes bring up to three friends with me in my little ass Honda Civic during breaks because they hated going back home that much. Most of them don't have crap to go back to. By the time I left school they'd be damn near arguing with each other over who would ride home with me because they knew my parents would give them hot food to eat every night there.

Edit: In regard to the Pell Grant, yes a lot of them were getting it, and a lot of them were sending money back home from it. Some people just come from really crappy situations and its hard to say whats going on in their lives. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I know its just not as easy as some are trying to make it.

Lambert
09-22-2013, 03:17 AM
"Edit: In regard to the Pell Grant, yes a lot of them were getting it, and a lot of them were sending money back home from it. Some people just come from really crappy situations and its hard to say whats going on in their lives. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I know its just not as easy as some are trying to make it."

And that's a good point. Some players send the whole Pell grant check back to help the folks at home. I know there is at least one current Texan player who did that.

If you are truely a fan and love the game and the players, and are not just going to the games as a spectator would to the Colosium in Rome, you gotta be in favor of making a "Full scholarship" at least a Full scholarship.

Lambert
09-22-2013, 03:22 AM

The other thing that people arent considering when deciding to pay these guys is how much more the door gets opened to bribing these athletes to throw games...

OK, so let's have a NCAA rule that doesn't let kids accept a schollie from a school that is more than 100 miles from his home town. You think the big football powers would like this?

See: APU

silvrhand
09-22-2013, 07:32 AM
That's simply not true. A BSEE will earn you around $40K starting out. With 10 or so years experience, you'll get to $60K. BSEE's are very much in demand right now. It's one of the highest paid fields right out of college.

http://www.indeed.com/salary/Electrical-Engineer.html

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but they sound quite a bit off.

DocBar
09-22-2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.indeed.com/salary/Electrical-Engineer.html

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but they sound quite a bit off.I was getting my numbers from job offers I get and see. It depends a lot on what part of the country the job is in, also.

Those look very high to me. They might be in line with an engineering manager or PE with 15+ yrs experience. Or maybe a position in LA, SF, NYC, etc. Those numbers could also include all the benefits, which would raise the salary number by ~15% for most companies I've dealt with.

Oddly enough, that site is quite a bit low for my line of work. LINK (http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Electrical+commissioning+Engineer&l1=)
LINK (http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Lead+Electrical+commissioning+Engineer&l1=)

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
OK, so let's have a NCAA rule that doesn't let kids accept a schollie from a school that is more than 100 miles from his home town. You think the big football powers would like this?

See: APU

Double post..

Mr teX
09-22-2013, 10:29 AM
"Edit: In regard to the Pell Grant, yes a lot of them were getting it, and a lot of them were sending money back home from it. Some people just come from really crappy situations and its hard to say whats going on in their lives. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I know its just not as easy as some are trying to make it."

And that's a good point. Some players send the whole Pell grant check back to help the folks at home. I know there is at least one current Texan player who did that.

If you are truely a fan and love the game and the players, and are not just going to the games as a spectator would to the Colosium in Rome, you gotta be in favor of making a "Full scholarship" at least a Full scholarship.

No way should they be able to have that kind of access to their money to be able to do stuff like this. They at least need to put restrictions on how much access athletes have to that money. but Again, the athletes put themselves in that situation.

Apart from that, Who cares what the big football powers would like...the rule would be in place to protect the kid not the university. It would also force them to get their **** together.

For instance, if your're gonna recruit kids from the hood who come from bad situations, you as the university better make damn sure you monitor them carefully and create a support system around them so that they're not putting themselves in bad situations and keeping themselves out of trouble.

kingtexan
09-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Good for Arian for just admitting what happens with star athletes in 99.9% of the major colleges in America.

Non-story ...

Lucky
09-22-2013, 11:06 AM
There was a USA Today (iirc) article awhile back that said something like only 7 college football program actually made a net profit.
That's probably true. But it doesn't take into account the role football has in generating donations from alumni. And the overall prestige of a school. If there wasn't $$$ being generated, college football wouldn't be such a big deal.

I think you're right. Which is why the schools would probably have to make the football players (and maybe basketball players) salaried university employees in order to pay them. If that happens, there would be a huge split between the Alabamas, UTs, and Ohio States (who could make that happen), from the Rices, UHs, and SMU (who can't). Wait...there's already a large divide between these schools. Nevermind.

Bulls on Parade
09-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Lucky is right. Speaking of donations and pledges. Texas A&M just hauled in $740 million this past year. An increase of over $300 million for them. These Universities are making big money and a lot of that is partly because of the football program.

DocBar
09-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Just thinking out loud, through my fingers and keyboard, but I wonder what the $$$ amount is on merchandising. It seems like there could be a way for the athletes to get a share of those profits. It could go into a pool and be distributed equally among a schools athletes. Yes, the big time schools will generate more and their student athletes would get more, but it seems like a reasonable idea on the face of it.

Cerberus
09-22-2013, 02:09 PM
I hear ya. If true, he probably just didn't want to live in a dorm.

I went to school where Arian went to school, though I was there back in the days with Reggie White. Anyway, the "jock dorm" and cafeteria was fantastic according to a couple of my wrestler friends who lived there at the time. The athletes were offered a buffet style meal, which often included lobster, prime rib, rib eye steaks, etc., and was available to all athletes whether they were on the football team or tennis team. It used to piss off the rest of us who ate the slop UT fed the rest of us students who actually were flipping the bill.

As for money on the side, I have a friend who used to play OT for Wake Forest back when the Baldinger brothers played there. He used to talk about how after the games and such the alumni would walk up and shake their hands, with $100 bills in their palms, and tell them "good game". It is not uncommon for the athletes to get a little extra cash on the side.

Lambert
09-23-2013, 05:32 PM
I had two sons that played D1 ball at different Universities and no one ever gave them a dime. Training tables were sometimes good and sometimes not good----there are no training tables out of season, Spring, Summer, Etc. The aftergame meals at both schools were always something like a Subway sandwich and a Gatoraide, maybe a small bag of chips----course you could always take two.......

I went to school where Arian went to school, though I was there back in the days with Reggie White. Anyway, the "jock dorm" and cafeteria was fantastic according to a couple of my wrestler friends who lived there at the time. The athletes were offered a buffet style meal, which often included lobster, prime rib, rib eye steaks, etc., and was available to all athletes whether they were on the football team or tennis team. It used to piss off the rest of us who ate the slop UT fed the rest of us students who actually were flipping the bill.

As for money on the side, I have a friend who used to play OT for Wake Forest back when the Baldinger brothers played there. He used to talk about how after the games and such the alumni would walk up and shake their hands, with $100 bills in their palms, and tell them "good game". It is not uncommon for the athletes to get a little extra cash on the side.

Double Barrel
09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Myth: College Sports Are a Cash Cow

Only seven other athletics programs at public universities broke even or had net operating income on athletics each year from 2005-2009, according to data provided by USA Today to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics (for which I consult).

-------------------------------

For almost every other university, sports is a money-losing proposition. Only big-time college football has a chance of generating enough net revenue to cover not only its own costs but those of “Olympic” sports like field hockey, gymnastics, and swimming. Not even men’s basketball at places like Duke University or the University of Kansas can generate enough revenue to make programs profitable.

As a result, most colleges and universities rely on what the NCAA calls “allocated revenue.” This includes direct and indirect support from general funds, student fees, and government appropriations. In other words, most colleges subsidize their athletics programs, sometimes to startling degrees.

Full story (http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx)

Not sure if this info has been posted in this thread, but figured it was kinda' important to understand on this subject.

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Arian was running really well to start the game yesterday. Would have loved to see him get 20 carries.

Texian
09-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Righteous Arian wants everyone to believe he was taking money for food & rent. One thing a division 1, SEC Powerhouse, full scholarship football player doesn't need is money for food and rent. Now if they decide to leave the comforts of their dorm room to move to an off campus apartment that they cannot afford, they still don't need money for rent, they need money for STUPIDITY. They can always eat at the athletes mess hall regardless.

TD
09-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Not sure if this info has been posted in this thread, but figured it was kinda' important to understand on this subject.

Here's a database USA Today does showing the categories of revenues and expenses. Interesting to note that a lot programs spend a bit more in scholarships than they receive in support from the school. So while technically subsidized, they are providing a nice revenue stream right back in.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

Lambert
09-23-2013, 11:32 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-25-schools-that-make-the-most-money-in-college-football-2013-1?op=1

Lambert
09-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Righteous Arian wants everyone to believe he was taking money for food & rent. One thing a division 1, SEC Powerhouse, full scholarship football player doesn't need is money for food and rent. Now if they decide to leave the comforts of their dorm room to move to an off campus apartment that they cannot afford, they still don't need money for rent, they need money for STUPIDITY. They can always eat at the athletes mess hall regardless.

At most Universities the money subtracted from your monthly scholarship for your shared dorm room is at least 50% higher than your share of rent in an off campus apartment would be.

I don't know what generation you are referring to with the "Athlete's mess hall" comment, but they don't have those anymore. Football players have a "Training Table" where they can eat one meal a day (in many schools of poor quality---mystery meat and rice) but only during football season. After football season in the late fall, training table ends---no training table in the Spring, Summer, or during holiday breaks.

waynegg
09-24-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't give a rats ass he took money in college, I just want him to start running like he used to. We got the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers, and the surprising 3-0 Chiefs in four of our next five games. That's a tough schedule for any team.

This. And the NCAA profits billions on their backs anyhow that just gives their execs an excuse to give themselves raises.

silvrhand
09-24-2013, 07:24 AM
This. And the NCAA profits billions on their backs anyhow that just gives their execs an excuse to give themselves raises.

NCAA released business statements on all their revenue streams, they aren't paying themselves millions.

infantrycak
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
NCAA released business statements on all their revenue streams, they aren't paying themselves millions.

Depends who you are talking about. Clearly football and basketball coaches are making large salaries with the big schools in many instances out paying the NFL. Mack Brown has a base salary of $5 mil, Kevin Sumlin $3.1 mil. But others make big salaries as well. The athletic director at UT makes $1.2 mil, at A&M just under $1 mil. Then take in the top say 20 salaries after that and your into millions also.

Texian
09-24-2013, 11:21 AM
At most Universities the money subtracted from your monthly scholarship for your shared dorm room is at least 50% higher than your share of rent in an off campus apartment would be.

I don't know what generation you are referring to with the "Athlete's mess hall" comment, but they don't have those anymore. Football players have a "Training Table" where they can eat one meal a day (in many schools of poor quality---mystery meat and rice) but only during football season. After football season in the late fall, training table ends---no training table in the Spring, Summer, or during holiday breaks.

Even if I were of a generation of the 50s & 60s I can assure you that athlete's dining privileges have only improved over the years and any athlete at a major Div I University has no problem with access to over 4000 calories in a 14-18 hour period. Today some Major Universities also include a food debit card that can be used in University food courts. It's all part of the recruiting process.

Double Barrel
09-24-2013, 12:32 PM

My son went to SFA for five years and said the exact opposite. All meals throughout the day and an extremely nice dorm were standard for football players. He eventually moved to an apartment as an upperclassman, and it, too, was fully paid by scholarship.

Not sure what schools you are talking about, but if SFA - an FCS college - can provide all of that, I have little doubt that the big programs are loaded with perks and nice facilities.

And he had access to the training staff year round. I cannot imagine that SFA is leading the charge in taking care of their football players.

ObsiWan
09-24-2013, 12:49 PM
No way should they be able to have that kind of access to their money to be able to do stuff like this. They at least need to put restrictions on how much access athletes have to that money. but Again, the athletes put themselves in that situation.

Apart from that, Who cares what the big football powers would like...the rule would be in place to protect the kid not the university. It would also force them to get their **** together.

For instance, if your're gonna recruit kids from the hood who come from bad situations, you as the university better make damn sure you monitor them carefully and create a support system around them so that they're not putting themselves in bad situations and keeping themselves out of trouble.

And where will the money come from to pay for these "Life Coaches"? Do you think this will be free?

Playoffs
09-24-2013, 02:56 PM
http://reisman.lohudblogs.com/files/2011/06/rains.jpg

Money? Under the table to college players? I'm shocked!

http://jaypgreene.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/casablanca-your-winnings.jpg

Your under the table money, Sir. Yes, thank you.

Lambert
09-24-2013, 06:14 PM
My son went to SFA for five years and said the exact opposite. All meals throughout the day and an extremely nice dorm were standard for football players. He eventually moved to an apartment as an upperclassman, and it, too, was fully paid by scholarship.

Not sure what schools you are talking about, but if SFA - an FCS college - can provide all of that, I have little doubt that the big programs are loaded with perks and nice facilities.

And he had access to the training staff year round. I cannot imagine that SFA is leading the charge in taking care of their football players.

I'm sorry I don't know where SFA is. I'm sure it's a fine school. My sons both went to FBS schools, different conferences, "full scholarships" and graduated as "5th year seniors".

You are correct when you say that the dorm or the Apt are fully covered by the scholarship, BUT the way it works is that if a kid lives off campus, his monthly scholarship check is around $950. He generally has a private room in a house or apartment----maybe a queen or kind sized bed. He pays his share of the rent, usually less than $400, and therefore saves more than $200because the University would deduct $600+ from his scholarship check to pay for the dorm. The dorm usually is a small-ish double occupancy room with two twin beds, two desk areas and two storage spaces. The walls are painted concrete block and there is one small window. There was a communal bath down the hall that was always in digusting condition. Theft would sometimes be a problem.

Furthermore, the student athlete would have to completely vacate his dorm for all extended breaks---Christmas, Spring break, the two weeks before summer school began---and move back in once school had commenced again. If the kid didn't have family in town, where was he to go? Maybe it was different at SFA?

The Athletes had one free meal a day at the training table---which would vary in quality from year to year and from school to school. Training table only occurred during football season. The rest of the meals were up to the student to pay for out of the remaining money from his check. During Spring or Summer scheduled football practice there was no training table but the school did give the players cards which would be good for one free meal a day in the student cafeteria.

Trainers were available all year, except school holidays---Christmas, Spring break, Etc.

Check with your son and see if this was not also true at SFA. I know the scholarships at D1AA schools are a little different, many schools offering only partial schollies. Maybe they make it up by giving the players better meals/accomodations?

Lambert
09-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Some excerpts from the NCAA guide book for D1 institutions. Please note that only ONE training table meal can be provided to student athletes a day, and the cost of that meal is to be deducted from the student's board allowance.

I know some posters have said that the kids eat free all day, Lobster and Steak, Etc. That actually is not true.

15.2.2.1.6 Training-Table Meals. The cost of meals provided on the institution’s training table shall be
deducted from a student-athlete’s board allowance, even if the student-athlete is not receiving a full grantin-
aid. In determining the cost figure to be deducted, the institution may use the actual meal costs listed in
the institution’s catalog or the average meal costs of its student-athletes living on campus.

Training Table Meals. An institution may provide only one training table meal per day to a student-athlete
during the academic year on those days when regular institutional dining facilities are open (see Bylaw
15.2.2.1.6). A student-athlete who does not receive institutional athletically related financial aid covering the
full cost of board, including a walk-on or partial scholarship recipient, may purchase one training table meal
per day at the same rate that the institution deducts from the board allowance of student-athletes who receive
athletically related financial aid covering board costs pursuant to Bylaw 15.2.2.1.6. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective
8/1/96, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 5/8/06, 4/26/07)

g) Nutritional Supplements. An institution may provide permissible nutritional supplements to a student athlete
for the purpose of providing additional calories and electrolytes. Permissible nutritional supplements
do not contain any NCAA banned substances and are identified according to the following classes: carbohydrate/
electrolyte drinks, energy bars, carbohydrate boosters and vitamins and minerals. (Adopted: 4/27/00
effective 8/1/00, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 4/14/09)
(h) Fruit, Nuts and Bagels. An institution may provide fruit, nuts and bagels to a student-athlete at any time.
(Adopted: 4/30/09 effective 8/1/09)

Link: http://www.gomason.com/fls/25200/PDF/D112.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=25200

Dread-Head
09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Universities make a fortune off those kids, BUT not every student athlete is some underpriviledged ghetto type whose "hoop dream" is getting him an education.

I DO think these kids are being exploited and SHOULD get 3 squares a day and access to doctors. But they ARE still getting free tuition. I enlisted to get money for school so I'm not shedding a tear for some guy whose athletic ability gets him the opportunity to play ball at college level AND get an education on top of that.
Two words for "starving" college students with a paid for dorm room and paid tuition: "Top Ramen". Bon appetite muff-hugga.

Double Barrel
09-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Check with your son and see if this was not also true at SFA. I know the scholarships at D1AA schools are a little different, many schools offering only partial schollies. Maybe they make it up by giving the players better meals/accomodations?

Will do, man, and I'll get back to you and we can compare notes.

Thanks for a great reply and it's a very interesting conversation. :)

(p.s. SFA is Stephen F. Austin up in Nacogdoches, Tx.)

badboy
09-25-2013, 03:38 PM
David Cutcliff former OC for Tennessee during Foster's years responds:

Cutcliffe, who was Tennessee’s offensive coordinator during 2006 and 2007, Foster’s sophomore and junior seasons, wasn’t believing his story when asked about it Tuesday, saying, “That may have been as weak of interview as I’ve heard. Arian never looked hungry.”“As long as I’ve been around it, and it’s a long time, longer than sometimes than I even think, athletes have been treated pretty well. I don’t see anybody getting abused

Cutcliffe added that during his three decades at Division I schools – he was an undergraduate assistant at Alabama and coached at Tennessee, Mississippi, Notre Dame (for a few weeks before resigning because of heart issues) and Duke – he has never met an athlete so destitute that he lacked food and shelter.“You understand that if they are need-based Pell Grant, every bit of that money goes to them, OK?” Cutcliffe said. “You’re looking at one that was need-based. I thought I had it pretty darn good. You understand what I’m saying?

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/24/3225029/cutcliffe-arian-never-looked-hungry.html#storylink=cpy