PDA

View Full Version : Colts get Trent Richardson from Browns

robroy72
09-18-2013, 05:21 PM
1st round pick

How long until he gets injured again?

dream_team
09-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Insane!!! What does it say about TRich, that the Browns were willing to deal him for a mid first rounder.

dtran04
09-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Runningbacks just aren't worth high picks anymore. Quite the gamble by the Colts.

jaayteetx
09-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Screw the Dolts, that is all.

Tailgate
09-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Insane!!! What does it say about TRich, that the Browns were willing to deal him for a mid first rounder.

Says the Browns want that franchise QB in 14.

Wolf
09-18-2013, 05:33 PM

I still don't know why they drafted early a 27 year old qb a couple of years go

robroy72
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM

They have 2 picks in rounds 1,3 and 4... should be able to stock up a few positions, not just qb.

Playoffs
09-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Awww, man. Sucks for us, sucks for my fantasy team.

Very smart move by the Browns, IMO, as running backs are a commodity now.

A bit early for the Colts, who need to upgrade their lines.

LikeMike
09-18-2013, 05:36 PM
This could be huge for the Colts - if only they had a good O-Line... I don`t know, I am pretty unsure what to think about this trade. It makes the Colts better, and we know what T-Rich can do (something that can`t be said about 1st round draft picks), but it is a hefty price. They finally got their next Edge and if he can stay healthy, he will help them a lot.

TheMatrix31
09-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Asinine.

Who cares if the Browns are stockpiling picks? What gives anyone any indication that they'll use them well?

Luck and Richardson, eh? I'm sure Watt and Cushing will be up to the task. They damn well better be.

ATXtexanfan
09-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Yawn

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 05:44 PM
This could be huge for the Colts - if only they had a good O-Line... I don`t know, I am pretty unsure what to think about this trade. It makes the Colts better, and we know what T-Rich can do (something that can`t be said about 1st round draft picks), but it is a hefty price. They finally got their next Edge and if he can stay healthy, he will help them a lot.

What exactly has he done in the NFL? Honestly I'd rather take the unknown 1st round pick.

Richardson has had VERY pedestrian numbers so far in his short career.

texanhead08
09-18-2013, 05:44 PM
This looks like the Colts are desperate.

ObsiWan
09-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Hmmm... this guy was supposed to be a cornerstone of a rebuilding Browns team... WTH??

Something's up.

do we have spies that haunt any Browns' msg boards??

Mr teX
09-18-2013, 05:53 PM
WTF?

This dude wasn't that bad just didnt have alot around him & he was injured a little too much...the last thing we need to deal with in this division.

LikeMike
09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
What exactly has he done in the NFL? Honestly I'd rather take the unknown 1st round pick.

Remember that he plays for the Browns - they are playing from behind a lot, and you don`t run the ball when the other team is up 20 points. But 11 TDs is not pedestrian for a rookie, and he showed a lot of promise. His 3.6ypc average might not look like that much, but it is alright for a rookie.

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
This trade makes me wonder what we could get for Ben Tate, because honestly when he's healthy and his mind is right, I like him a lot more than Trent Richardson.

TheMatrix31
09-18-2013, 05:55 PM

950 yards, 11 rushing TDs and 51 receptions for almost 400 yards and a TD is pretty damn nice for a rookie. Especially one with an overall garbage offense in Cleveland.

htowntexans1985
09-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Trent Richardson is in elite company...only three
rookie RBs ever with 250+ carries and 3.6 ypc or
less. (Ricky Williams, Errict Rhett)

Man. Lol! Nice job ponies!

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
950 yards, 11 rushing TDs and 51 receptions for almost 400 yards and a TD is pretty damn nice for a rookie. Especially one with an overall garbage offense in Cleveland.

He had a lot better offensive line in Cleveland than what he's going to have in Indy.. There have been other backs who played on crap offenses and could post more than just 3 100 yard games and better than a 3.6 YPC average. He's a bruiser, but can't hit the long ball. Reminds me of a richer man's Ron Dayne. I think he can help them, but he isn't worth a 1st round pick in a trade.

LikeMike
09-18-2013, 06:03 PM
This trade makes me wonder what we could get for Ben Tate, because honestly when he's healthy and his mind is right, I like him a lot more than Trent Richardson.

As soon as I read about the Colts trying to trade for an HB I was wondering what we could get for Ben Tate. Iīd hate to lose him to a division rival, but I didn`t expect a first rounder in return... I guess Iīd have gone for that trade... No other owner in the league would be ready to offer a first rounder to a HB I believe...

htowntexans1985
09-18-2013, 06:04 PM
The tweets from irsay made me think they were getting someone the likes of mjd or Ray rice. Not the 3rd tier running back. Irsay has truly lost it

TheMatrix31
09-18-2013, 06:17 PM
He had a lot better offensive line in Cleveland than what he's going to have in Indy.. There have been other backs who played on crap offenses and could post more than just 3 100 yard games and better than a 3.6 YPC average. He's a bruiser, but can't hit the long ball. Reminds me of a richer man's Ron Dayne. I think he can help them, but he isn't worth a 1st round pick in a trade.

Yeah but Luck is way better than Weeden is. More of a threat. Teams playing Cleveland could just zero in on Richardson. Can't do that against Luck and Indy.

We'll see.

DX-TEX
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah but Luck is way better than Weeden is. More of a threat. Teams playing Cleveland could just zero in on Richardson. Can't do that against Luck and Indy.

We'll see.

Richardson cant play offensive line can he? How about some playing two way football to reinforce that mediocre defense?

ChampionTexan
09-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Richardson cant play offensive line can he? How about some playing two way football to reinforce that mediocre defense?

Well, the three backs they've used in the first two games (none of whom will ever be confused with Jim Brown or Earl Campbell) are averaging about 4.4 YPC running behind that O-line. No reason Richardson shouldn't be better than any of them.

The1ApplePie
09-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Tate would probably would go for a fifth rounder. Richardson is younger, has more upside, and has accomplished more than Ben Tate has. This is the first year that Tate has been healthy isn't it?

Tailgate
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
The tweets from irsay made me think they were getting someone the likes of mjd or Ray rice. Not the 3rd tier running back. Irsay has truly lost it

3rd tier rb?

ChampionTexan
09-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Tate would probably would go for a fifth rounder. Richardson is younger, has more upside, and has accomplished more than Ben Tate has. This is the first year that Tate has been healthy isn't it?

Tate was healthy in 2011 (15 games) and had essentially the same yardage as Richardson had last year on about 90 fewer carries.

And in a strange turn, while Tate is older, because of the combination of his #2 RB status, and his injuries, Tate actually has 40 fewer NFL carries, and 69 fewer touches.

DX-TEX
09-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Well, the three backs they've used in the first two games (none of whom will ever be confused with Jim Brown or Earl Campbell) are averaging about 4.4 YPC running behind that O-line. No reason Richardson shouldn't be better than any of them.

Yeah cause the defense is salivating trying to kill Luck.:kitten:

Tailgate
09-18-2013, 06:41 PM

The Colts gave up a first for a reason. The dude can ball. However, it was a bit of a kneejerk due to their schedule and the rise of chargers, titans, and chefs.

Now the Colts have a bruising pass catching stud rb to take heat off Luck

Def improves them quite a bit on O.

ChampionTexan
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah cause the defense is salivating trying to kill Luck.:kitten:

Which will be a big improvement for Trent since up to now, those same defenses have been salivating to kill him.

The1ApplePie
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Tate was healthy in 2011 (15 games) and had essentially the same yardage as Richardson had last year on about 90 fewer carries.

And in a strange turn, while Tate is older, because of the combination of his #2 RB status, and his injuries, he actually has 40 NFL carries, and 69 fewer touches.

Thanks. Totally forgot about him in 2011.

PapaL
09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
I like this move for Indy. Richardson is a stud. CLE offense was garbage just like their OL. Puts them in serious contention with us.

DX-TEX
09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Which will be a big improvement for Trent since up to now, those same defenses have been salivating to kill him.

Cleveland got the better of this deal. I don't see this improving the Colts that much and they greatly overpaid

ChampionTexan
09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Hmmm... this guy was supposed to be a cornerstone of a rebuilding Browns team... WTH??

Something's up.

do we have spies that haunt any Browns' msg boards??

New regime - up to and including owner. (And don't forget that one of those new FO members is Mike Lombardi, so sheer stupidity can't be ruled out as the underlying reason for the trade).

Texecutioner
09-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Sorry, but Texans fans can blow this off like it isn't a big deal all they want, but the Colts just got a lot better. They just got a very solid talent for their running game to add with guys like Wayne and Hilton. The Colts are continually getting better and this is not good for the Texans despite who wants to spin it.

thunderkyss
09-18-2013, 06:48 PM
I think the Colts are now in the race for the division.

I hate it.

Tailgate
09-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I think the Colts are now in the race for the division.

I hate it.

Titans, Colts, and Texans schedules are all brutal this year facing NFC West and of course each other.

Texans still favorite, but we will have to earn it, we aint running away with anything.

BIG game for us against Ravens w what looms. We need to be 3-0.

ChampionTexan
09-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Cleveland got the better of this deal. I don't see this improving the Colts that much and they greatly overpaid

Unfortunately, I see things differently than you do. Richardson's the best RB Indy's had since Edgerrin James. That thrills me not at all.

Not that his first game will tell us all that much, but it will be interesting to see how much they use him this weekend in San Fran, and how he does against that D.

Lucky
09-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Insane!!! What does it say about TRich...
That he was drafted by one of the worst organizations in football. Which we already knew.

texdawg
09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I like the way all the so-called analysts on TV think this is such a great deal for the Colts.

One thing I haven't heard from any of them is that Trent was a 2 down back that was a real liability on 3rd down. That's why we had Obywann on 3rd down. At least he could block and pick up a blitz.

This is not sour grapes on my part. I much prefered the way Hardesty hit the hole when he would spell Trent. Trent will dance at line and look for those "Alabama" size holes.

If he is on the field on 3rd downs the Texans will eat his lunch.

TexansSeminole
09-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Sorry, but Texans fans can blow this off like it isn't a big deal all they want, but the Colts just got a lot better. They just got a very solid talent for their running game to add with guys like Wayne and Hilton. The Colts are continually getting better and this is not good for the Texans despite who wants to spin it.

Agreed, I have no idea what these people are talking about. Everybody stacks the LOS against Cleveland, they have zero passing game. The Colts just got better for a 4-5 year period, undoubtedly.

steelbtexan
09-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Yep

Grigson is obviously a risk taker.

Will BoB/Rick/Gary take the necessary chances to keep up with the Colts? History says they will not.

Texecutioner
09-18-2013, 07:41 PM
I like the way all the so-called analysts on TV think this is such a great deal for the Colts.

One thing I haven't heard from any of them is that Trent was a 2 down back that was a real liability on 3rd down. That's why we had Obywann on 3rd down. At least he could block and pick up a blitz.

This is not sour grapes on my part. I much prefered the way Hardesty hit the hole when he would spell Trent. Trent will dance at line and look for those "Alabama" size holes.

If he is on the field on 3rd downs the Texans will eat his lunch.

It definitely sounds like sour grapes on your part when you completely dismiss the fact that a very good division rival just got a stud RB that was a top 5 pick just last season who has fresh young legs, and you act like it's some sort of guarantee that the Texans will eat his lunch. If it isn't sour grapes it's just homerism getting in the way of rationale thinking.

infantrycak
09-18-2013, 07:54 PM
It definitely sounds like sour grapes on your part when you completely dismiss the fact that a very good division rival just got a stud RB that was a top 5 pick just last season who has fresh young legs, and you act like it's some sort of guarantee that the Texans will eat his lunch. If it isn't sour grapes it's just homerism getting in the way of rationale thinking.

So remind me of all the times stud RBs were traded for a lower draft pick after one year? Or is it too homer to ask that question?

By the way, I recall a 4th round rookie RB on a much worse passing team, with a horrendous OL, who I don't recall anyone calling a stud while averaging .7 ypc more than Richardson.

b0ng
09-18-2013, 07:57 PM

The line might be slightly better in Cleveland (They both have been bad) but in Indy, Richardson isn't going to face 8 dudes crammed into the box on every single play.

mattieuk
09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
This has got to be one of the most divisive trades I've seen in terms of reaction.

We've had the full spectrum from the Colts made a very shrewd move, to the Browns just made out like bandits trading for a 1st.

That said, I think it is a bit of a dick move on a fanbase who've endured quite a lot of crap over the years - pulling this in the 2nd week, after all the season tickets are solid, and effectively putting up a sign that says 'come back next year'.

Sure I know fans should stick by their team through thick and thin - but how many of us would have been jumping for joy two weeks into the season if we've traded Mario for an unknown first round pick, after putting the emotional baggage into believing that your franchise has got 'the one'.

As for the actual trade - I don't really think we'll know for a few weeks. Richardson could propel Indy to a divisional title, and leave Cleveland with a high 20's pick, or he could have the warned diva mentality, and the Browns are picking in the top 10 twice.

Mr teX
09-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Ehh, he ain't that fresh....dude already has 1278543 screws in his ankle...all in all i still think he'll be good for them...just don't think he makes them that much better. They still have o-line and pass rush issues they have to address.

Ultimately I don't think he's worth a 1st rounder...

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Can you please explain the "Colts are continuously getting better comment", because it's not like Houston is staying status quo here. The entire division outside of Jax is "continuously getting better"... including Houston who already have two stud to very good RBs.. (And yes, I'd take a healthy Ben Tate over Trent Richardson.) and who greatly improved the potency of their passing game with DeAndre Hopkins and this is without Posey taking the field yet. We offer WAY WAY more things for the Colts to worry about defensively then they do us.. even with Richardson

Sorry you can call it "sour grapes" all you want, but I'm not high on the "Alabama RB" that has been coming into the league over the last few years (the Saben years). Mark Ingram the Heisman winner was a product of his system and while I do think Richardson is a much better player a lot of the production that got these guys drafted so high was because of the massive offensive lines they played behind at Alabama.

Does Trent Richardson make the Colts better.. yes.

Am I going to shake in my boots about it though.. no. I think they overpaid and I hope they continue to trade away their draft picks. Especially first and second rounders

The Colts blew the team up a few years ago and went 1-15, it's pretty obvious they were going to improve, especially after landing Andrew Luck. Houston just has to keep taking care of their own business (like landing players like Watt and Hopkins, ect) and they'll still be in the playoff hunt for the foreseeable future. LOL, it's not like the AFC South was always going to be a one horse race... welcome to what other playoff teams deal with almost on a year to year basis (The NFC West, the NFC North, the NFC East, the NFC South, and the AFC North)

fiasco west
09-18-2013, 08:11 PM

We'll see.

Exactly, a good add for them unfortunately.

This division is shaping up to be interesting. STill think the Texans should take it but the Titans and Colts are not going to hand it to us.

This makes the Colts better IMO and that's all that matters.

Also can't see us trading away Ben Tate middle of the season unless it is for immediate help. Superbowl contenders don't need draft picks.

texdawg
09-18-2013, 08:16 PM

You can dismiss my comments and characterize them however you wish. I've been a Browns fan for over 56 yrs. I've seen some damn good running backs. All I was trying to do was add the perspective of a fan that has watched every snap of every Browns game at least once since Sunday Ticket came out. You seem to be scared of Trent. I was trying to give a little perspective.

I was being rational---you are the one jumping to conclusions.

TexansSeminole
09-18-2013, 08:38 PM
You can dismiss my comments and characterize them however you wish. I've been a Browns fan for over 56 yrs. I've seen some damn good running backs. All I was trying to do was add the perspective of a fan that has watched every snap of every Browns game at least once since Sunday Ticket came out. You seem to be scared of Trent. I was trying to give a little perspective.

I was being rational---you are the one jumping to conclusions.

You can't dismiss the fact that your passing game is anemic and has been since Richardson's arrival. Icak's point about Slaton is invalid for the same reason; the Texans had a good passing attack back then. It wasn't good by today's standards but far better than what the Browns are trotting out there. Im assuming he means Slaton, although Slaton was a 3rd rounder. Peterson is the only guy I have ever seen that could run through a consistently stacked LOS when his team had an anemic passing attack. The Vikings are better passing than the Browns are too. I watched the Dolphins - Browns game and outside or their TE, Browns receivers seemed like they dropped more balls than they caught, it was embarrassing.

When you watch the Browns, Richardson is almost always met at the LOS by a clean defender. His 9 yard gains come with 2 or 3 broken tackles.

infantrycak
09-18-2013, 08:45 PM
You can't dismiss the fact that your passing game is anemic and has been since Richardson's arrival. Icak's point about Slaton is invalid for the same reason; the Texans had a good passing attack back then.

Man couldn't get anything by you, well other than I was talking about Domanick Williams.

Slaton was a 3rd round pick and averaged 1.2 ypc more than Richardson.

Playoffs
09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Browns front office panicked when they saw how truly awful the Jaguars are, so they decided to throw away the 2013 season after 2 games to get into next year's draft's top QB pick. Mike Lombardi will be making the selection -- let's hope he makes the right choice, because there are mistakes in the top group.

Long-suffering Browns fans get to suffer even more. Welcome to Astrosville (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/09/astros_get_fewer_than_1000_vie.php), Cleveland. Again.

:bag:

TexansSeminole
09-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Man couldn't get anything by you, well other than I was talking about Domanick Williams.

Slaton was a 3rd round pick and averaged 1.2 ypc more than Richardson.

Well hell, I didn't look up the exact YPC numbers and your post was pretty vague. That team was still better passing the ball than this or last year's Browns team. Have you seem them play? They are atrocious.

They also don't commit to running the ball. That Dolphins game was close enough throughout for them to not abandon their game plan and they threw it 53 times, ran it 13 times, this is without a receiver that you would consider anything above decent. Weeden is on track for 88 sacks, 24 interceptions.

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 08:56 PM
You can't dismiss the fact that your passing game is anemic and has been since Richardson's arrival. Icak's point about Slaton is invalid for the same reason; the Texans had a good passing attack back then. It wasn't good by today's standards but far better than what the Browns are trotting out there. Im assuming he means Slaton, although Slaton was a 3rd rounder. Peterson is the only guy I have ever seen that could run through a consistently stacked LOS when his team had an anemic passing attack. The Vikings are better passing than the Browns are too. I watched the Dolphins - Browns game and outside or their TE, Browns receivers seemed like they dropped more balls than they caught, it was embarrassing.

When you watch the Browns, Richardson is almost always met at the LOS by a clean defender. His 9 yard gains come with 2 or 3 broken tackles.

... pretty sure he meant Domanick Davis.. and yes that was a "anemic passing attack", Davis was pretty much THE passing attack as Carr would rarely look down field during those seasons. Also, what MJD has basically played with his ENTIRE CAREER has been a anemic passing attack. (hell he won a rushing title with Blaine Gabbert). Stephen Jackson for a good portion of his career played in crappy offenses and was the only real weapon.

I'm not buying the anemic passing attack excuse. Top drafted RBs genuinely go to bad teams. There's been plenty of examples of players even late round players who were able to run more consistently effective. Jamaal Charles is another one and he was a third rounder.

TexansSeminole
09-18-2013, 09:02 PM
... pretty sure he meant Domanick Davis.. and yes that was a "anemic passing attack", Davis was pretty much THE passing attack as Carr would rarely look down field during those seasons. Also, what MJD has basically played with his ENTIRE CAREER has been a anemic passing attack. (hell he won a rushing title with Blaine Gabbert). Stephen Jackson for a good portion of his career played in crappy offenses and was the only real weapon.

I'm not buying the anemic passing attack excuse. Top drafted RBs genuinely go to bad teams. There's been plenty of examples of players even late round players who were able to run more consistently effective. Jamaal Charles is another one and he was a third rounder.

You ought to go back and watch the Browns play.

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 09:03 PM
You ought to go back and watch the Browns play.

I have seen them play... they suck. I've also seen plenty of other crappy teams play.. including some very crappy Houston Texans teams.

TexansSeminole
09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I have seen them play... they suck. I've also seen plenty of other crappy teams play.. including some very crappy Houston Texans teams.

I guess we'll revisit this when Richardson gets some time in that Indy offense. By the way, you're point about the Browns line being better than the Colts line is inaccurate as well. The Browns can't run block or pass protect, they've given up 11 sacks in two games. I say that knowing the Colts do not have great run blockers. The Browns are that bad.

infantrycak
09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
That team was still better passing the ball than this or last year's Browns team.

Well that's debatable. The 2003 Texans had 900 less passing yds and 60 less passing 1st downs than the 2012 Browns.

TexanBacker93
09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
If the Browns are trying to monopolize the 2014 draft while remaking their roster we could give them our #1 for Joe Haden.

TexansSeminole
09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Well that's debatable. The 2003 Texans had 900 less passing yds and 60 less passing 1st downs than the 2012 Browns.

2003 Texans: 439 attempts

2012 Browns: 566 attempts

The Browns are even worse this year.

steelbtexan
09-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Want to bet the Colts give Richardson more than 13 carries in every game this yr?

Carr Bombed
09-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I guess we'll revisit this when Richardson gets some time in that Indy offense. By the way, you're point about the Browns line being better than the Colts line is inaccurate as well. The Browns can't run block or pass protect, they've given up 11 sacks in two games. I say that knowing the Colts do not have great run blockers. The Browns are that bad.

And the Colts have given up 7 sacks in two game.... on 20 less pass attempts and despite having a much more mobile and superior QB

In 2012 Luck was sacked 41 times on 110 more attempts... Weeden was sacked 28 times...

IDEXAN
09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
NFL running backs are like automobiles, as soon as they are drafted (or driven off of the lot), they begin to rapidly depreciate. The Colts have way overpaid for a used running back when there are many other good ones out there who can be had for far, far less than a first round pick.

HoustonFrog
09-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks for being the voice of reason. It's like people didn't watch or pay attention last year. Colts got a lot better. The guy can run for power, catch the ball and just got a real QB to take pressure off of him carrying the team.

And if it isn't obvious to those ignoring it, the Browns were going nowhere with a nice back. They just mortgaged a season to get picks for a QB in a QB year. End of story.

IlliniJen
09-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Anyone watch the Browns first game this year? Opened with a couple running plays, and Richardson was getting some nice runs in. Then, for some reason, they completely went away from the run and let Weeden keep throwing interceptions and getting sacked. Something's rotten in Cleveland, and I don't think it was Richardson. Everyone was questioning their decision to not stick to the run game in week 1.

Last year, Richardson was facing stacked boxes on a team with no passing game who were always playing from behind. While having bruised ribs pretty much all season. Anyone who thinks this isn't an upgrade for the Colts and Richardson isn't that good just isn't paying attention to the details and only looking at 3.6 YPC.

According to number fire:

So far this season (and yes, I’m aware it’s only been two weeks), the Colts rank – wait for it - first in the league in adjusted rushing net expected points per play. With each carry, they’re doing more with the ball than any other NFL team. Again, like the Browns, this may be blowing your mind. But go ahead and take a look at even their raw numbers and you may be surprised. Vick Ballard, before his injury, had a nice 4.8 yards per carry average against the Raiders. Bradshaw ran effectively last week, bringing his season average to 4.1 yards per carry. Even Donald Brown has touched the ball seven times for 30 yards, people.

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1168/trent-richardson-to-the-colts-wait-what

So stop fixating on 3.6 and dig a little deeper. This is a good move for the Colts and potentially bad for us and further indication that the Browns are nowhere near being close to being good for a long while. This move is a little panicky to me from an organization that hasn't exactly had a track record of making good decisions. This is a team that's started 19 quarterbacks since 1999. Even the dark days of 2-14 were never as dark as the last 20 or so years for the Browns. Just ouch.

Bulls on Parade
09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Runningbacks just aren't worth high picks anymore. Quite the gamble by the Colts.
Imagine what we could have hauled in for Ben Tate after his excellent season two years ago? Even now Tate is beasting again in limited carries.

Allstar
09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Just don't see the logic in spending a first on a RB nowadays. You can find pro bowl backs all over the draft (or even after the draft ;)).

imatexan
09-19-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't like this move as a Texans fan because it immediately makes the Colts better, especially after Ballard went down now they improved on the RB position.

They got the number 3 pick in last years draft for what will be a much higher pick, early on Colts sure seem to have gotten the better end.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2013, 02:06 AM
I hate anything that makes the Colts better and I'm afraid they just got better. I'd be pleased as hell if Trent comes in and he's crap but... I'll believe it when I see it.

thunderkyss
09-19-2013, 02:58 AM
By the way, I recall a 4th round rookie RB on a much worse passing team, with a horrendous OL, who I don't recall anyone calling a stud while averaging .7 ypc more than Richardson.

I called him a stud.

The line might be slightly better in Cleveland (They both have been bad) but in Indy, Richardson isn't going to face 8 dudes crammed into the box on every single play.

& if he does, Reggie Wayne & TY Hilton will make them pay.

That said, I think it is a bit of a dick move on a fanbase who've endured quite a lot of crap over the years - pulling this in the 2nd week, after all the season tickets are solid, and effectively putting up a sign that says 'come back next year'.

Sure I know fans should stick by their team through thick and thin - but how many of us would have been jumping for joy two weeks into the season if we've traded Mario for an unknown first round pick, after putting the emotional baggage into believing that your franchise has got 'the one'.

Joe Banner said it right. They've got to earn the trust & good faith of that fan base.

As for the actual trade - I don't really think we'll know for a few weeks. Richardson could propel Indy to a divisional title, and leave Cleveland with a high 20's pick, or he could have the warned diva mentality, and the Browns are picking in the top 10 twice.

If they tried to trade him after the season how much would they have got for him? I seriously doubt they would have got a low 1st with the draft looming.

As far as the Colts, I think their defense just got better. A lot better. Between Andrew Luck & Trent Richardson they're going to convert more third downs, stay on the field, & keep the other offense on the sideline.

If they can manage to get a lead, control the pace of the game with a run game, they're going to be hard to stop. Chris Johnson just averaged 3.8 ypc against us, they had the ball for a little more than 31 minutes. With Jake Locker throwing for 148 yards, they led for much of the game. Imagine the pressure it would put on our defense if that was Luck & Richardson.

fiasco west
09-19-2013, 05:07 AM
NFL running backs are like automobiles, as soon as they are drafted (or driven off of the lot), they begin to rapidly depreciate. The Colts have way overpaid for a used running back when there are many other good ones out there who can be had for far, far less than a first round pick.

We will see.

We'll know by the end of the year. If a RB has potential you usually know right away.

I think it does make them better for sure though, how much I'm not sure.

thunderkyss
09-19-2013, 06:44 AM
If they can manage to get a lead, control the pace of the game with a run game, they're going to be hard to stop. Chris Johnson just averaged 3.8 ypc against us, they had the ball for a little more than 31 minutes. With Jake Locker throwing for 148 yards, they led for much of the game. Imagine the pressure it would put on our defense if that was Luck & Richardson.

We also held Adrian Peterson in check & Christian Ponder beat us. With Trent Richardson & Andrew Luck, the Colts are officially better than the Vikings.

deucetx
09-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Maybe it's me but some of this is exaggerated. At the end of the day Richardson is a running back. This is not a position that has been game changing except for a few top tier players in today's football. I hardly see the cause for too much fuss.

Is he an improvement? Of course he is but several would have been. They had freaking Ballard and then Bradshaw. But what has he proven at this level to this point? The Colts still have a below average offensive line and defense. Is he going to cover for that secondary that got torched by Ryan Tannenhill? Will he keep Luck on his feet? No because he can't pass block.

So yeah, they upgrade their run game but still have too many issues. As it is both Brown and Bradshaw had about 4.3 per carry against the Dolphins. Their run game wasn't their biggest issue. It was their offensive line and that defense or namely their secondary. And now they don't have a first round pick. Not a bad deal for them but a gamble because I highly doubt they would have used that first pick on a running back in 2014.

I just don't see how Richardson is a game changer enough to be overly worried. Maybe with a bunch of 5 star offensive linemen but other than that he's not the type of back that worries me. Ben Tate would have been more of an issue to deal with (when healthy) and if I'm the Browns I'm targetting him in free agency.

Playoffs
09-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Stay classy, Cleveland.

Trent Richardson learned about trade from Browns to Colts on the radio
(http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/trent-richardson-learned-trade-browns-colts-radio-125110397--nfl.html)
Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner and head coach Rob Chudzinski probably put a lot of thought into trading running back Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday. They contemplated how the move would affect their current team. There was definitely a lot of reflection about their 2014 roster. Maybe there was some thought about the best way to deliver this news to the team.

However, neither man thought about calling Richardson to inform him of the transaction after the trade was finalized.

Instead, Richardson learned he would be joining a new team on the radio.

Blake
09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I worry anytime a division rival gets a RB of this caliber, but at the end of the day it cost them a round 1 draft pick. A DeAndre Hopkins, A Duane Brown, a Brian Cushing. And we sit here with Arian Foster and Ben Tate for a combined 2nd round pick.

thunderkyss
09-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Is he an improvement? Of course he is but several would have been. They had freaking Ballard and then Bradshaw. But what has he proven at this level to this point? The Colts still have a below average offensive line and defense. Is he going to cover for that secondary that got torched by Ryan Tannenhill? Will he keep Luck on his feet? No because he can't pass block.

The Jags aren't a concern for me, because they don't have a QB. Nice stable of RBs.... but no QB.

The Titans are just a hair above them because... well, Locker still has a way to go.

The Colts, I'm not worried about them if they're going to be asking Andrew Luck to carry that team throwing 50 times a game. With Trent Richardson... they won't be. That offensive line is going to look a lot better because the game is going to slow down for Luck (now that he has a game changer at RB).

Texian
09-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Trent Richardson =

For Cleveland this was about Weeden and finding a Franchise QB.

For Indianapolis this was about finding better protection for Luck.

steelbtexan
09-19-2013, 08:52 AM

Or Richardson could be like the pre-owned Lexus with 5,000 miles that you save $10,000. Only time will tell. I applaud Grigson for being a risk taker though.

steelbtexan
09-19-2013, 09:03 AM
I worry anytime a division rival gets a RB of this caliber, but at the end of the day it cost them a round 1 draft pick. A DeAndre Hopkins, A Duane Brown, a Brian Cushing. And we sit here with Arian Foster and Ben Tate for a combined 2nd round pick.

I get what you're saying, but with the Colts hoping to be picking in the late 20's early 30's getting a player as good as Richardson is unlikely. Downside for Colts is that this move probably wont land them in the SB.

ChampionTexan
09-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Stay classy, Cleveland.

(http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/trent-richardson-learned-trade-browns-colts-radio-125110397--nfl.html)

Fortunately for Trent, since he's now with the Colts, he'll never again learn about these type of things on the radio. He'll learn about them via the owner's Twitter account.:kitten:

Playoffs
09-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Stay classy, Cleveland.

And this is what class looks like, Lombardi:

Richardson told WOIO-TV, "Itís weird to me. At the same time, itís a business. Their group there, they know what theyíre doing. Browns fans, please get behind them 100 percent, donít lose no fan base over this, still root for them. Keep hope. Because itís going to happen. The Browns are going to be good for a while when it does happen.Ē

IDEXAN
09-19-2013, 09:52 AM
I get what you're saying, but with the Colts hoping to be picking in the late 20's early 30's getting a player as good as Richardson is unlikely. Downside for Colts is that this move probably wont land them in the SB.
Running backs are a dime a dozen, especially these days when the NFL is becoming more and more pass oriented. Of course before I'd congratulate the Browns on a smart trade, I'd have to ask them what the hell were they thinking when they used the #3 overall in the 2012 Draft on this guy ?

Hervoyel
09-19-2013, 10:38 AM
It will be ok. We play in a division where we face Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew twice a year. We somehow manage to survive that and Richardson scares me no more than either of those guys.

Playoffs
09-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Interesting angle on this listening to Cleveland sportswriters podcast...

What's the best way for Lombardi & company to buy themselves 3 years of job security suckling at the money teet of owner Jimmy Haslam... ? Throw in all your cards and start a rebuild again.

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2013, 10:58 AM
It will be ok. We play in a division where we face Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew twice a year. We somehow manage to survive that and Richardson scares me no more than either of those guys.

And Jones-Drew didn't look so hot coming off his Lisfranc (not surprising, especially since it was a very delayed, conservative treatment failure surgery), even before this recent ankle injury, so I'm not so sure how much of a factor he plays this year.

Playoffs
09-19-2013, 11:04 AM
PFF's fantasy take on TR is interesting...
What this means for Trent Richardson (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/18/fantasy-reaction-richardson-traded-to-the-colts/)

In Cleveland, Richardson was a talented back that was held back by the players around him. In 2012 he averaged 3.6 yards per carry and that was down to 3.4 early in 2013. On the plus side, heís forced 14 missed tackles on him, which is tied for the best in the league so far.

One of Richardsonís biggest problems has been facing eight defensive players in the box too often. By defining players in the box as all defensive linemen, linebackers and safeties within eight yards of the line of scrimmage, Richardson faced eight or more men on the box on 52.6 percent of his carries. On those carries, he averaged just 3.2 yards per carry. When it was seven or fewer in the box, that was up to 3.9 yards per carry. With Andrew Luck at quarterback, teams canít put eight in the box to stop Richardson as often as they used to.

In Indianapolis, the Colts have used 11 personnel (aka three receiver sets) on 46.2 percent of their offensive plays. This should only go up with Dwayne Allen landing on injured reserve. Teams typically respond to three receiver sets with a nickel defense (only six men in the box). Richardson has had 42 carries in those situations, and has averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

In Indianapolis he should get a similar number of opportunities. He will be used as a feature back, but will get taken out in some passing situations. Richardson has allowed five pressures this year which is the most for all running backs. Ahmad Bradshaw, meanwhile, is one of the best pass blocking backs in the league. This will prevent Richardson playing 80 percent or more of the teams snaps, but he will still get most of the carries.

Vinny
09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Bradshaw and Richardson should be a great 1-2 punch. I wasn't worried about the Colt running game much, but now they have something that at least looks great on paper.

eriadoc
09-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Gabbert + MJD < Locker + CJ < Luck + Richardson/Bradshaw

toronto
09-19-2013, 11:53 AM
All I will say is that this about as obvious an attempt at a "we need to suck worse than jax" move to position themselves for Manziel or Clowney I think I have ever seen.

I have no idea how Browns fans do it. I wouldn't buy a ticket to their product, but they keep showing up, god bless em.

drs23
09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
All I will say is that this about as obvious an attempt at a "we need to suck worse than jax" move to position themselves for Manziel or Clowney I think I have ever seen.

I have no idea how Browns fans do it. I wouldn't buy a ticket to their product, but they keep showing up, god bless em.

Have you ever been to Cleveland? What the hell else is there to do but be a Browns fan. For better or for worse.

I agree with your statement though. Suck for Clowney just doesn't have the same ring though, does it?

badboy
09-19-2013, 12:06 PM
I see this as helping Texans as it takes a first away from Colts. I doubt Richardson helps much and even less as he continues to get banged. He could be better. He could be worse.

thunderkyss
09-19-2013, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't have thought the Browns would be hurt so bad by losing Trent Richardson. I do believe the Colts are much better with Richardson but the teams are in two totally different spots.

I thought they would be fighting for a Wild Card spot this year. Now, trading Richardson & their QB change, I'm thinking you're more right than I am, but I'd like to see Hoyer before I say it.

Saying that I think they'll be fighting for a wild card doesn't mean I think they're great. I think the Steelers are in big trouble & I'm not high on Baltimore either. I've got Cincy winning the North. Texans winning the South, New England winning the East, & Denver winning the West.

Miami, KC, Indy, Cleveland, & Baltimore fighting for 2 spots.

toronto
09-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Have you ever been to Cleveland? What the hell else is there to do but be a Browns fan. For better or for worse.

I agree with your statement though. Suck for Clowney just doesn't have the same ring though, does it?

I call it "clown for clowney."

Vinny
09-19-2013, 02:29 PM
clownin for clowney. I like it.

Playoffs
09-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
When Browns signed RB Trent Richardson, they gave him a $13,341,672 signing bonus. Money's gone, gone, gone.

Hervoyel
09-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Sure, I'd agree with that. Regardless I'm not ready to just concede the division to the Colts. The sum isn't always greater than the pieces. There's more to having an awesome running game than just having a great back (and that's not to say that Richardson is indeed a "great" back).

Lets play and then decide how worried we should be.

thunderkyss
09-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Sure, I'd agree with that. Regardless I'm not ready to just concede the division to the Colts. The sum isn't always greater than the pieces. There's more to having an awesome running game than just having a great back (and that's not to say that Richardson is indeed a "great" back).

Lets play and then decide how worried we should be.

Gabbert + MJD < Locker + CJ < Luck + Richardson/Bradshaw<Schaub + Foster + Tate

Ain't nobody giving them the division.

Giant Tiger
09-19-2013, 07:01 PM
I hate anything that makes the Colts better and I'm afraid they just got better. I'd be pleased as hell if Trent comes in and he's crap but... I'll believe it when I see it.

This is where I am, too. Smart move by the Colts.

Texn4life
09-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Trent Richardson will be an absolute beast in Indy. I wanted throw up when I heard about this. Just another reason for me to hate Cleveland!

paycheck71
09-19-2013, 08:38 PM
TR will certainly help the Colts this season; I don't think there is any question about that. But whether this is a good deal for them in the long run is open for debate. I personally think that first round pick would have been better spent on something more pressing and more important than a RB, like OL.

So, I'm really not too excited and not too bummed out by this deal as far as the Colts go.

Wolf6151
09-20-2013, 02:08 AM
With the short career life of most RB's, I'm thinking the Colts way overpaid for TR. He might be great for a short time but in the long run that 1st round pick could have been spent better else where on someone that would be with the team for alot longer. Also we've proven several times that a good RB can be found later in the draft. JMO, but this trade was a mistake by the Colts.

Thorn
09-20-2013, 06:11 AM
The AFCS just got a bit tougher. If the Texans are who we hope they are, they'll still take the division.

IDEXAN
09-20-2013, 06:58 AM
With the short career life of most RB's, I'm thinking the Colts way overpaid for TR. He might be great for a short time but in the long run that 1st round pick could have been spent better else where on someone that would be with the team for alot longer. Also we've proven several times that a good RB can be found later in the draft. JMO, but this trade was a mistake by the Colts.
My thoughts exactly.
I remember seeing this guy at 'Bama, and yea he's really good and represents an upgrade over anybody they have at that position and will make the Colts better in the near term, but over the longer term I'm of the opinion that teams in the NFL should save those first round picks for corners, offensive tackles, and edge
rushers. But Indy will be better over the short run, I'll give them that.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 07:28 AM
With the short career life of most RB's, I'm thinking the Colts way overpaid for TR...

RBs have short careers, because most of them suck. If you find a true franchise back, MJD, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, even Chris Johnson... you can get your money's worth.

If you're not a franchise guy, you're easily replaceable with the number of guys coming out of college.... pretty much like QB. You've got a very short time to prove you're difficult to replace.

BlueSteel
09-21-2013, 10:51 AM
RBs have short careers, because most of them suck. If you find a true franchise back, MJD, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, even Chris Johnson... you can get your money's worth.

If you're not a franchise guy, you're easily replaceable with the number of guys coming out of college.... pretty much like QB. You've got a very short time to prove you're difficult to replace.

Chris Johnson before he got paid or after? :kitten:

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't have thought the Browns would be hurt so bad by losing Trent Richardson. I do believe the Colts are much better with Richardson but the teams are in two totally different spots.

I thought they would be fighting for a Wild Card spot this year. Now, trading Richardson & their QB change, I'm thinking you're more right than I am, but I'd like to see Hoyer before I say it.

Saying that I think they'll be fighting for a wild card doesn't mean I think they're great. I think the Steelers are in big trouble & I'm not high on Baltimore either. I've got Cincy winning the North. Texans winning the South, New England winning the East, & Denver winning the West.

Miami, KC, Indy, Cleveland, & Baltimore fighting for 2 spots.

Cleveland fighting for a wild card = LOL

Do you read the stuff you type before posting?

The Texans need to win the division,because I see K.C./ Miami/Baltimore as the wildcards, due to strength of schedule.

thunderkyss
09-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Cleveland fighting for a wild card = LOL

Do you read the stuff you type before posting?

The Texans need to win the division,because I see K.C./ Miami/Baltimore as the wildcards, due to strength of schedule.

Not a big difference between my list & yours. I just think the Ravens have taken a bigger fall than you.

Cleveland, Miami, Indy... I think they're in that same bucket/tier.... maybe not so much with Richardson leaving Cleveland & after Thursday's game, I may be upgrading KC. Their defense looks to be better than average. Offensively, they've got some things to work out, but I think they will with the talent they've got & their schedule is week. They'll probably easily take the first wild card, with Cleveland, Miami, Indy fighting for the other.

Playoffs
09-21-2013, 12:30 PM
And the expected trashing of TR to justify the trade begins...

Cleveland Browns ex-LB Scott Fujita says Trent Richardson was late for treatments, failed to engage with teammates and came off as high maintenance (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_ex-lb_scott_f.html)

Fujita's remarks echo the sentiments of one Browns starter who anonymously told NFL.com that Richardson "has some things he needs to figure out before he becomes a dominant player ion the league...''

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 01:39 PM

The Colts obviously think TR is special. If he is then the Colts solved the RB situation for the next 6-8 yrs.

As far as low 1st rd picks go (Which is what the Colts should have) they couldn't have found anybody better than Richardson.

I've heard that this class is deep at OL and DB's.

If a player falls into the late 1st, early 2nd then you can bet Grigson will take the risk of trading a 2014 2nd and a 2015 2nd/3rd to move up and take the player that Grigson likes. I love risk takers and Grigson is slowly but surely putting the pieces in place to make the Colts legit SB contenders for yrs to come.

Watching how the Colts do business vs how the Texans do business makes me sad. LOL

infantrycak
09-21-2013, 02:06 PM
As far as low 1st rd picks go (Which is what the Colts should have) they couldn't have found anybody better than Richardson.

And this is based on what because it sure isn't the NFL?

Let's see:

Doug Martin
LeSean McCoy
Matt Forte
Ray Rice
Jamaal Charles
DeAngelo Williams
MJD
Frank Gore
Steven Jackson
Willis McGahee
Larry Johnson

thunderkyss
09-21-2013, 02:29 PM
I think it's interesting that the Browns didn't have anyone on their roster they were comfortable starting before they made this trade. That's assuming they're expecting McGahee to start.

I liked Ogbanaya at Texas, & thought he could do well in our system behind Arian & Tate.. but the Texans chose to go with Forsette.... who I also liked.

If nothing else, this has made the Browns interesting this year. This could very well be a turning point for them.

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 02:42 PM
And this is based on what because it sure isn't the NFL?

Let's see:

Doug Martin = TR
LeSean McCoy > TR
Matt Forte = TR
Ray Rice > TR
Jamaal Charles >
DeAngelo Williams < TR
MJD < TR
Frank Gore < TR
Steven Jackson < TR
Willis McGahee < TR
Larry Johnson = TR

These are my opinions of these RB's in relation to TR. Only 3 are/were better than TR. So he was well worth the gamble. IMHO

Most all were late 1st early 2nd rd picks. Which is where the Colts think they will be picking and they are getting TR this yr. They dont have to wait and hope a RB of Richardson fall to them in next yrs draft.

BullBlitz
09-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Richardson certainly could provide a boost and another dimension to the Colts' offense. The AFCSouth may have become a bit more competitive.

dtran04
09-23-2013, 02:59 PM
If you took away the draft status, he's really just another guy. Probably a little better than Mark Ingram. His "upside" is why he's worth a 1st rounder.

Rey
09-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Was a terrible move for the colts. I didn't even get the Richardson hype coming out of college. Hes nothing special. Hes ok, but there are better backs for cheaper. Heck, if take Bradshaw over Richardson all day.

Colts going to be stuck with luck doing everything just like with manning with moves like that.

utahmark
10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Trent not looking good so far.

Playoffs
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Trent not looking good so far.

Yeah, the Colts would have been better off spending that pick on an O-Lineman to protect Luck and open holes for any number of less expensive RB options. Score this a -1 for Irsay the GM.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Said it in another thread. Trent Richardson has no explosion, no vision and is an average (and that's being nice) at best running back. A poor man's Legarrette Blount.

toronto
10-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Said it in another thread. Trent Richardson has no explosion, no vision and is an average (and that's being nice) at best running back. A poor man's Legarrette Blount.

While we all laughed at the Browns for this trade, it doesn't look so stupid anymore, especially since the upcoming draft is a hell of a lot stronger than last year.

Vinny
10-21-2013, 03:54 PM
He's looking like the new age Ron Dayne.

WolverineFan
10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I thought Richardson would turn the corner in the Colts offense.

At this point, it looks like the Colts wasted another 1st round pick on an average RB (Donald Brown) and the Browns come out of this looking pretty good.

infantrycak
10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
While we all laughed at the Browns for this trade, it doesn't look so stupid anymore, especially since the upcoming draft is a hell of a lot stronger than last year.

Who's we kemosabe?

I'm just surprised he has managed to lower his ypc in Indy.

toronto
10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Who's we kemosabe?

I'm just surprised he has managed to lower his ypc in Indy.

OK, a lot of so-called experts, myself included. Happy? :ant:

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
With Reggie Wayne out, the Colts would have been a million times better off getting Josh Gordon for that 1st. They really should be trying to get Gordon from Cleveland though, he would be amazing with Luck at QB. Two 2nds ought to do it if Indy really thinks they can go deep in the playoffs this year.

SCOTTexans
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
With Reggie Wayne out, the Colts would have been a million times better off getting Josh Gordon for that 1st. They really should be trying to get Gordon from Cleveland though, he would be amazing with Luck at QB. Two 2nds ought to do it if Indy really thinks they can go deep in the playoffs this year.

That was exactly what i was thinking, i just hope it doesn't happen

toronto
10-22-2013, 04:39 PM

Gordon is not worth that much. I'm worried they may make a play for Hakeem Nicks, who they can get dirt cheap right now (UFA after the season)

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Gordon is not worth that much. I'm worried they may make a play for Hakeem Nicks, who they can get dirt cheap right now (UFA after the season)

Yeah he is, for a few reasons. He's young, has a lot of room to grow, he's really damn fast, he's producing with one of the ****tiest QB corps in the league, and his contract is extremely cheap. Any team that trades for Josh Gordon now will only need to pay him about 530k the rest of the year, making him easy to add.

The Colts currently have about 1.3 million in free capspace.

Hakeem Nicks has a salary of $2,675,000 this year, 9 weeks of remaining salary will cost 1.416 million for the rest of the season. That means the Colts would need to drop some more cash elsewhere to stay under the cap. Maybe they could restructure someone, but it would take some extra work to make it happen. Gordon can be had outright, and will be cheap through 2015.

Rey
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Never understood the Trent richardson hype. He's always looked like an average to below avg player. Was thrilled when the colts made the trade because that's one less good player around luck.

Rey
10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah he is, for a few reasons. He's young, has a lot of room to grow, he's really damn fast, he's producing with one of the ****tiest QB corps in the league, and his contract is extremely cheap. Any team that trades for Josh Gordon now will only need to pay him about 530k the rest of the year, making him easy to add.

The Colts currently have about 1.3 million in free capspace.

Hakeem Nicks has a salary of $2,675,000 this year, 9 weeks of remaining salary will cost 1.416 million for the rest of the season. That means the Colts would need to drop some more cash elsewhere to stay under the cap. Maybe they could restructure someone, but it would take some extra work to make it happen. Gordon can be had outright, and will be cheap through 2015.

Luck is making heyward bey look competent. I'd hate for them to get Gordon.

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Luck is making heyward bey look competent. I'd hate for them to get Gordon.

Yeah, I'm not rooting for it, just discussing. It's funny that they traded their #1 for a RB that appears to not be worth a 4th now, when they possibly could have gotten Gordon instead. I think Gordon is really good, and I would be surprised to see the Browns get any less than a 1st or two 2nds for him. I know he has some character issues, but that doesn't seem to be a problem now. If I were Indy, I would be trying to get all the best players I could, their team is a true contender. Gordon is exactly what they need to replace Wayne, and he supposedly available.

toronto
10-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'm not rooting for it, just discussing. It's funny that they traded their #1 for a RB that appears to not be worth a 4th now, when they possibly could have gotten Gordon instead. I think Gordon is really good, and I would be surprised to see the Browns get any less than a 1st or two 2nds for him. I know he has some character issues, but that doesn't seem to be a problem now. If I were Indy, I would be trying to get all the best players I could, their team is a true contender. Gordon is exactly what they need to replace Wayne, and he supposedly available.

I just don't see the Browns trading him. Then again, this is the Browns...

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I just don't see the Browns trading him. Then again, this is the Browns...

The Browns got him for a supplemental 2nd round pick bid with the old regime, so I think they might not be opposed to trading him for the right price. I know they would much rather trade Greg Little, who was also a 2nd round pick, but his upside is sooooo much less than Gordon, that I don't think they will get any more than a 4th for him.

The new regime clearly made a statement in trading Trich, so I could see them dealing Gordon. I think he's one of the most talented players on the team currently, so I would be against it. There are rumors that the Browns have a few offers for him though, which is probably true, but nothing they can't refuse. The Colts would be wise to offer at least a 2nd for him, he's worth it.

toronto
10-22-2013, 07:49 PM
The Browns got him for a supplemental 2nd round pick bid with the old regime, so I think they might not be opposed to trading him for the right price. I know they would much rather trade Greg Little, who was also a 2nd round pick, but his upside is sooooo much less than Gordon, that I don't think they will get any more than a 4th for him.

The new regime clearly made a statement in trading Trich, so I could see them dealing Gordon. I think he's one of the most talented players on the team currently, so I would be against it. There are rumors that the Browns have a few offers for him though, which is probably true, but nothing they can't refuse. The Colts would be wise to offer at least a 2nd for him, he's worth it.

The only way they depart with their highest remaining pick is if they truly believe they have a shot to win it all. Otherwise they are smart enough to patiently draft one in the 2nd round, and find value at free agency. They are a team that places a lot of emphasis on drafting, (which explains why its such a frigging enviable franchise) so I doubt this happens.

Playoffs
10-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I'm not rooting for it, just discussing. It's funny that they traded their #1 for a RB that appears to not be worth a 4th now, when they possibly could have gotten Gordon instead...

Gordon is top 15 WR talent, maybe top 10.

But it appears he has one more strike & he's out of the league for a year. That's a lot of risk.

gtexan02
10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Browns are still the losers here. They paid a top 5 pick for him

Rey
10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Browns are still the losers here. They paid a top 5 pick for him

That's true, but it's not often you can trade a guy you pick that high but don't want for another 1st. Definitely softens the blow some.

I don't know if this is the same browns regime that picked him, but if it is not, I'd say it's a win for the new guys.

texanhead08
10-22-2013, 10:06 PM
I never understood why the Colts made this deal and I bet they are wishing they didn't now.

b0ng
10-22-2013, 11:53 PM
I never understood why the Colts made this deal and I bet they are wishing they didn't now.

Browns have a legit defense; Hayden is a stud, Phil Taylor is pretty good on the DL, and their DC used to be the DC for the Cards (And yes the Cards last year were very good on defense).

Their offense actually looked good for the brief time we saw Brian Hoyer (of all people) but Weeden sucks something so bad. Gordon and Cameron are studs, and Joe Thomas is a legit top LT year in and year out. Alex Mack is a pretty good C so it's not like their cupboard is totally bare.

I think the COlts are trying to implement some stupid "hey lets talk the ball out of our best players hands for balance reasons" and it's not going to go well for them. I'll be interested in seeing how Luck responds to losing his most experienced weapon, but I'm not a big fan of Pagano as a coach. I don't think he's much better than mediocre. And their FA acquisitions may leave a lot to be desired.

Seasons about midway through, it's guaranteed that this will look different at the end of the season.

htownfan32
10-23-2013, 12:07 AM
He's riding the pine in my fantasy leagues. Can't even get touchdowns. My league has no good RB free agents available, but I managed to snag Mike Tolbert. Here's hoping he continues the trend of punching in touchdowns from the one yard line.

Playoffs
12-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Colts bench Trent Richardson (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000290166/article/colts-bench-trent-richardson-will-start-donald-brown)

htowntexans1985
12-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Reading some of the posts in this thread when the trade went down really does make some of you look dumb. I knew it from day 1 the guy was a dud. And the Browns fooled the Colts big time. The guy just doesn't have it.

bah007
12-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Reading some of the posts in this thread when the trade went down really does make some of you look dumb. I knew it from day 1 the guy was a dud. And the Browns fooled the Colts big time. The guy just doesn't have it.

Agreed with you then and agree with you after reading through this thread now, and I assume you have never posted something on a message board that later turned out to be wrong?

htowntexans1985
12-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Agreed with you then and agree with you after reading through this thread now, and I assume you have never posted something on a message board that later turned out to be wrong?

I have. But some people were suggesting he was the second coming of o.j. Simpson. That crow has been served for those.

bah007
12-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I have. But some people were suggesting he was the second coming of o.j. Simpson. That crow has been served for those.

Indeed it has.

badboy
12-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Here's hoping the Colts pick ends up as one of the Browns two firsts traded to Texans.

TexansSeminole
12-03-2013, 06:49 PM
The Browns may not have such terrible run blocking after all. Richardson just seems to have poor vision. He can break tackles and has good speed, but he's not a very good back.

toronto
12-03-2013, 07:22 PM

I won't speak for anyone but I'm pretty sure I thought this was an idiotic trade by the Browns..so I sure an eating my words.

WolverineFan
12-03-2013, 07:43 PM
I won't speak for anyone but I'm pretty sure I thought this was an idiotic trade by the Browns..so I sure an eating my words.

I thought the Colts overpaid for him, but that he would turn the corner in their offense. Turns out.....it wasn't the Browns that were the problem.

Texn4life
12-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Count me in as one who was foolishly wrong on this trade. I still can't believe a guy with that much talent has fallen off so much. I don't think it would hurt him to drop some weight in the offseason and get back closer to his early college build if he can. He doesn't show any burst right now whatsoever.

Rey
12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Count me in as one who was foolishly wrong on this trade. I still can't believe a guy with that much talent has fallen off so much. I don't think it would hurt him to drop some weight in the offseason and get back closer to his early college build if he can. He doesn't show any burst right now whatsoever.

I didn't think Richardson would absolutely suck, but I don't see what they hype was about what he did in college. I mean, he had good production and physical tools, but he looked poor to me as an actual RB.

From two years ago: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1891542&highlight=Richardson#post1891542

HOU-TEX
12-04-2013, 09:35 AM
The Browns may not have such terrible run blocking after all. Richardson just seems to have poor vision. He can break tackles and has good speed, but he's not a very good back.

That's for darn sure! Holy moly, you just have to wonder what he's seeing when he chooses his running lanes. Here I thought Slaton had the worst vision. This dude takes the cake

Dutchrudder
12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I thought the Colts overpaid for him, but that he would turn the corner in their offense. Turns out.....it wasn't the Browns that were the problem.

Well that's the first time I have heard those words uttered since the early 90's.

Dutchrudder
12-04-2013, 09:50 AM
I didn't think Richardson would absolutely suck, but I don't see what they hype was about what he did in college. I mean, he had good production and physical tools, but he looked poor to me as an actual RB.

From two years ago: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1891542&highlight=Richardson#post1891542

Yep, you called it. Apparently he's Toby Gerhart 2.0. A mediocre RB who had an excellent run-blocking o-line in college.

steelbtexan
12-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I guess Jim Brown knows great RB's when he sees them.

Playoffs
01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Ryan McCrystal ‏@Ryan_McCrystal
The Browns have more 1st round draft picks than Trent Richardson had rushing yards in the playoffs.

chicagotexan2
01-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Well I know I was wrong about Richardson. I don't think he'd be great back but I had no idea he'd turn out to be this terrible. Hell I could be a poor evaluator of talent maybe the colts could hire me too.

ArlingtonTexan
01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Well I know I was wrong about Richardson. I don't think he'd be great back but I had no idea he'd turn out to be this terrible. Hell I could be a poor evaluator of talent maybe the colts could hire me too.

Even the people who thought he was overrated thought that he was closer to Just Another Guy, not one of the worst running backs in the league.

Hervoyel
01-13-2014, 10:39 AM
He's looking like the new age Ron Dayne.

I disagree. You feed Ron Dayne the ball all day and he'll eventually get that ypc up there. It wasn't pretty but he'd eventually wear them down.

Richardson doesn't do anything. It's weird. He looks like he's about to bust one open but it just almost never happens. It's like when he hits a hole it was by accident.

chicagotexan2
01-13-2014, 08:43 PM
I disagree. You feed Ron Dayne the ball all day and he'll eventually get that ypc up there. It wasn't pretty but he'd eventually wear them down.

Richardson doesn't do anything. It's weird. He looks like he's about to bust one open but it just almost never happens. It's like when he hits a hole it was by accident.

I got it!!!!

Trent Richardson is really Trinitario Ricardo a 38 yr old from the Dominican Republic.

Wolf6151
01-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Quote:
The Browns have more 1st round draft picks than Trent Richardson had rushing yards in the playoffs.

At first read I thought this was a just a joke, but it's true. The Browns have 2 first round picks and Richardson only got 1 yd. rushing on 4 carries in the playoffs. It's to bad Cleveland won't know what to do with those picks because no one wants to coach there.

Dutchrudder
01-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Quote:

At first read I thought this was a just a joke, but it's true. The Browns have 2 first round picks and Richardson only got 1 yd. rushing on 4 carries in the playoffs. It's to bad Cleveland won't know what to do with those picks because no one wants to coach there.

They should probably promote Ray Horton to HC and just hire a new DC under him. Norv Turner as OC would be nice to retain, but I have no clue what they are gonna do. Normally if you fire a HC you have a plan to replace him, but the Browns don't have a clue.

The Pencil Neck
01-15-2014, 06:35 PM
They should probably promote Ray Horton to HC and just hire a new DC under him. Norv Turner as OC would be nice to retain, but I have no clue what they are gonna do. Normally if you fire a HC you have a plan to replace him, but the Browns don't have a clue.

They've already fired Horton, too, right?

They'd have to re-hire him. :kubepalm:

infantrycak
01-15-2014, 08:58 PM
They've already fired Horton, too, right?

They'd have to re-hire him. :kubepalm:

They told both him and Turner they are free to get other jobs and it looks like both of them will be taking new coordinator positions. WTF the Browns are thinking I have no idea.

Wolf6151
01-16-2014, 02:53 AM
The only thing I can figure with regards to the Browns is that they must have their sights set on someone with one of the remaining playoff teams that they are currently unable to interview. If that's not the case then they're just stupid.

Playoffs
01-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Browns waiting on Adam Gase, but he may choose to stay and learn from Manning for another year if there is one. Then there's the Seattle and 49er coordinators.

Josh McDaniels might be back in play after the playoffs. If everyone declines Munch will likely be the guy. I think Lombardi is running this thing and doing the Al Davis "interviews" where they just try to milk information from coaches who aren't really candidates. Pisses people off.

Playoffs
05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
...and the Browns used the Trent Richardson pick for,

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/giphy.gif

fmdog44
05-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Well, after seeing what the Texans did this past weekend in the draft my Colts better see Richardson earn his pay. I see a great new rivalry for my Colts in the form of the Texans. Should be a couple of real great games coming up this fall.

Goatcheese
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
...and the Browns used the Trent Richardson pick for,

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/giphy.gif

I hate that little see you next Tuesday more every time I see him.

Playoffs
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I see a great new rivalry for my Colts in the form of the Texans.
Don't look now but the Jaguars are gaining on both of us.