PDA

View Full Version : Leading with the Helmet

dream_team
09-17-2013, 11:30 AM
In regards to leading with the helmet, I thought this play by Jackie Battle was as obvious as you can get.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6789925/Video%20Sep%2017%2C%209%2014%2001%20AM.mov

Is there something I'm missing about this new rule?

This was a big play btw. This was on the first Titans drive where they scored a TD. Instead of 1st & 25, it was 2nd & 1, and they score a TD 4 plays later.

infantrycak
09-17-2013, 12:59 PM
That play has been discussed by some national commentators as a missed call by the refs.

eriadoc
09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
I was wondering about that as well. I don't like the new rule, and thought Battle was doing what big backs are supposed to do, but I'm just waiting for the penalty to be called against a Texan, at which point I'll be annoyed. So the Battle play caught my attention.

Malloy
09-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Think I pointed this one out in the game day thread. Glad to hear that I'm not alone in thinking that this was a flagable moment...

thunderkyss
09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I was wondering about that as well. I don't like the new rule, and thought Battle was doing what big backs are supposed to do, but I'm just waiting for the penalty to be called against a Texan, at which point I'll be annoyed. So the Battle play caught my attention.

I'm really surprised that this is the first instance of it this season. I figured we see a lot of it in the preseason, & through week 1...... figured the refs would be throwing flags left & right as they "learned" how to officiate it.

I guess it doesn't happen as often as we thought.

dream_team
09-17-2013, 05:11 PM

I have that feeling too... that it won't really be called throughout the season, until that key drive, in a crucial game, in week 16, and it will be called against the Texans out of nowhere.

eriadoc
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm really surprised that this is the first instance of it this season. I figured we see a lot of it in the preseason, & through week 1...... figured the refs would be throwing flags left & right as they "learned" how to officiate it.

I guess it doesn't happen as often as we thought.

Once the refs clarified that it wouldn't be called in the first couple yards of the LOS, I knew it wouldn't be all that common. But big backs in general have their legs targeted, so they tend to be the ones leading with the helmet moreso than the guys who want to juke or spin.

I have that feeling too... that it won't really be called throughout the season, until that key drive, in a crucial game, in week 16, and it will be called against the Texans out of nowhere.

Exactly.

HJam72
09-17-2013, 05:24 PM
This rule gives refs MORE power to control the outcome of IMPORTANT games & ensure that Superbowl teams are taken from ESPNs favorites list, which basically means teams on the east coast, or in a city that is a popular tourist destination, or with a top 5 QB (who preferably could be an underwear model).

Nothing to worry about here. :kubepalm::wadepalm::corrosion:

ObsiWan
09-17-2013, 06:06 PM
This rule gives refs MORE power to control the outcome of IMPORTANT games & ensure that Superbowl teams are taken from ESPNs favorites list, which basically means teams on the east coast, or in a city that is a popular tourist destination, or with a top 5 QB (who preferably could be an underwear model).

Nothing to worry about here. :kubepalm::wadepalm::corrosion:
...Joe Namath..??
:mcnugget:

infantrycak
09-20-2013, 12:59 PM
From PFT.com

Tennessee’s Jackie Battle is the first NFL running back to be fined under the new rule against lowering the crown of the helmet into an opponent.

The NFL has confirmed that Battle was fined $21,000 for a crown of the helmet violation in Sunday’s game against the Texans. Battle lowered his helmet into Houston’s Danieal Manning.

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Just using this story as a jumping off point, because it's a new rule, but ...

I wouldn't mind seeing some refs get fined. Seems like to me if you can fine a player retroactively, then you're saying the call was missed. Should be a performance metric for the refs. Miss enough calls consistently, get fined. Refuse to call holding against the OL that tackle JJ Watt, get fined. It's all there on tape and just as subjective as these other rules.

ObsiWan
09-20-2013, 01:40 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some refs get fined. Seems like to me if you can fine a player retroactively, then you're saying the call was missed. Should be a performance metric for the refs. Miss enough calls consistently, get fined. Refuse to call holding against the OL that tackle JJ Watt, get fined. It's all there on tape and just as subjective as these other rules.

They're supposedly graded each week and the guys who grade out best over the course of the season get to work the playoff games. That translates to additional money. So, indirectly, the ones that screw up regularly are fiscally punished.

eriadoc
09-20-2013, 02:12 PM
They're supposedly graded each week and the guys who grade out best over the course of the season get to work the playoff games. That translates to additional money. So, indirectly, the ones that screw up regularly are fiscally punished.

Being punished by saying we won't give you a bonus is far different from saying we're taking from your base, both in financial terms and in terms of message. But I get what you're saying.

thunderkyss
09-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Those grades also go into whether or not they keep their job. Too many poor grades & they'r out.

ChampionTexan
09-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Being punished by saying we won't give you a bonus is far different from saying we're taking from your base, both in financial terms and in terms of message. But I get what you're saying.

The referees do get fined under the right (wrong?) set of circumstances.

The NFL doesn't appreciate obscenities being broadcast over the airwaves, even when it happens by mistake.

The NFL announced Friday that referee Tony Corrente has been fined a game check for his actions Nov. 4 in Indianapolis when the Colts faced the Miami Dolphins.
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000095934/article/referee-tony-corrente-fined-for-swearing-on-open-mic)

And while I can't prove this, I'm under the impression it's not unheard of, it's just seldom if ever made public.

But I also think it's something that could easily go too far. Fining a ref for missing a call would be the equivalent of fining a player for missing a block, or dropping a pass. As was mentioned before, there are evaluation processes in place, and while nothing's ever perfect, I think the NFL has far and away better game officials than Baseball or Basketball. so they're doing something better than their peers. Besides, I don't want the referees' and their crews having the financial implications of making or not making a call running through their mind any more than I want the possibility of a fine running through Kareem Jackson or Brian Cushing's mind as they get ready to make a TD saving hit, or a drive stopping sack.

Thorn
09-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Re: Leading with the Helmet

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/poop_helmet.jpg

drs23
09-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Dadgum good point. Seconded!:aggressive:

CloakNNNdagger
09-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Dadgum good point. Seconded!:aggressive:

At every game the crew has their supervisor watching and grading their performance. They are not held to a perfect game. They are allowed some error. Officials do get fined but the NFL does not announce these fines. And those accumulating too many are not eligible to call playoff or SB games so there is definitely financial incentive involved.

steelbtexan
09-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Do away with helents and you end leading with the helment.

ObsiWan
09-21-2013, 02:55 AM
At every game the crew has their supervisor watching and grading their performance. They are not held to a perfect game. They are allowed some error. Officials do get fined but the NFL does not announce these fines. And those accumulating too many are not eligible to call playoff or SB games so there is definitely financial incentive involved.

Refs actually get fined...?

I did not know that
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTtozrYo9mga9C2u_QAHnMSyvEDha4p mtkvHkxHFxZQVo7VzAD

(I'm probably the only one old enough to know who these guys are)

Thorn
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM
(I'm probably the only one old enough to know who these guys are)

No you're not. LOL

silvrhand
09-21-2013, 07:25 AM
NFL is ruining the game for me, honestly I don't expect the NFL to be around for more than another 10 years at this rate, it'll be flag football.

Just get the damn players to sign a waiver already and get back to football. It's a physical game, that's dangerous and sometimes people get hurt. We are going to end up with 100 point games cause it's just going to be pitch and catch since noone can touch each other till they catch the ball and make 2 steps and ready for a hit.

HJam72
09-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Do away with helents and you end leading with the helment.

Biggest problem with that idea, as I see it anyway, is that defenders will still bust heads together accidentally (and crack teammates' skulls).

I think they should take the helmets they already have and add padding to the outside of the shell. It would probably look stupid, but it would help a lot, I think.

Scarecrow
09-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Battle was fined like 42k for this.

I guess it was a 'good' fine, but its a pretty crummy rule alltogether.