PDA

View Full Version : QB's on the Hot Seat this year

U4ikrob
07-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Source: Espn - Clayton

Essentially talks about several QB's on the Hot seat this year starting with "Joey" from detroit, but Mr Carr's name also came up as expected it would being this is a contract year basically. IMO - Alot of folks will be scrutinized this year on the team from top to bottom. Now hold on - That said it doesnt mean Mr. Carr is driving off the "Texans" lot so to speak, nor does it mean he has not improved every year thus far. IMO He has to keep up the pace this year especially.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2101524&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Tidbit's on Carr from the article -

Other quarterbacks on the hot seat heading into this season include Aaron Brooks of the Saints, Brian Griese of the Bucs, David Carr of the Texans and A.J. Feeley of the Dolphins. Omitted from the list are Kyle Boller of the Ravens and Rex Grossman of the Bears because their judgment days won't come until 2006 or later; they simply haven't had enough starts to make a full determination.

Carr's case is interesting and should result in a happy ending. His numbers are coming close to playoff level -- 61.2 percent completions, 7.58 yards per attempt, 16 touchdowns and an 83.5 quarterback rating. His contract has a buy-back option at the end of the year and the Texans are expected to execute the option or negotiate a long-term extension.

Though the Texans won a franchise-best seven games last year, much more is expected of Carr. His record is 14-29 as a starter and, barring a major setback, high expectations have been set.

stephen1
07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
we dont really have another option besides carr, so im not buyin that

cred
07-06-2005, 07:48 PM
He was placed on a Expansion team, he was not placed on a team like the Steelers were he had a Hall of Fame tailback a great o line and a great D. He started from scratch. Anybody know were James Allen, Jermaine Lewis, Jimmy Herndon, Domingo Graham, Camron Spikes, Nate Dorsey, Gregg Randall, Avion Black, MATT STEVENS, Ryan Schau and Stacey Mack have gone. These guys started for the kid, so I am not buying this.......The guy didnt fall on to a superbowl contender or even an average team.

Honestly I can't remember "1/2" these guys. So to me your point is made.

thegr8fan
07-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I think it is a well thought out article. IF David Carr doesn't step up to the next level THIS season, I could very well see there being some discussion amongst the Coaching/GM on whether we keep him or not. I think the buyback option and his future salary would definitely play into those decisions in todays 'bottemline' NFL.

Now simmer down Hulk75. I also think that Carr does improve enough this season and he re-signs a contract with the Texans. :highfive:

Of course every fan of every team in the NFL thinks at this time of the year that THEIR team is going to improve so much over last season that the Superbowl trip is merely a matter of marking off the days. :party:

I think a very big reason that it will happen that way is due to Pitts moving back to our LT position. He played the first 2 season's for Carr at LT and did a pretty good job, even though he was definitely in a learning process.

and MATT STEVENS Hulk?? It was painfull enough watching him while he was ON the team. Who in the world would watch where he went when he was off the team? :dangit:

Diehardtexan
07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Ind MATT STEVENS Hulk?? It was painfull enough watching him while he was ON the team. Who in the world would watch where he went when he was off the team? :dangit:
I think I saw him on that freak show where people are covered from head to toes with tattoos. IMO he was trying to cover all the bruises he got falling down when running backs and receivers where blowing by him. :homer:

Lucky
07-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I think it is a well thought out article. IF David Carr doesn't step up to the next level THIS season, I could very well see there being some discussion amongst the Coaching/GM on whether we keep him or not. I think the buyback option and his future salary would definitely play into those decisions in todays 'bottemline' NFL.
Really? I think if Carr doesn't "step up" this season, the coaching/GM folks might be discussing where to send their resumes. Carr will out live this coaching staff, that's a given. And Casserly's star will ride on the Carr pick, like it or not. Carr becomes in trouble at QB when a new coaching staff/GM comes in & decides they want to go in another direction. Until then, he's safe.

Big B Texan Fan
07-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Really? I think if Carr doesn't "step up" this season, the coaching/GM folks might be discussing where to send their resumes. Carr will out live this coaching staff, that's a given. And Casserly's star will ride on the Carr pick, like it or not. Carr becomes in trouble at QB when a new coaching staff/GM comes in & decides they want to go in another direction. Until then, he's safe.
If you're right about Carr (hope yer not) that would suck. And if we do get a new coaching staff along with a new GM to boot, there will more than likely a new QB that is drafted with a 1st round pick.

Hervoyel
07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
David Carr will, without a shadow of a doubt, improve his numbers for the fourth consecutive year. Nothing is going to stop this from happening with the possible exception of injury and it's injury that I fear the most.

Vinny
07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Carr is in no trouble and we have about ZERO chance of using our first pick on a QB. From the start the Texans told us that we would watch our young offensive skill players mature as a group and we would just take the growing pains as they matured into veterans themselves. Carr has much to work on before he is an elite QB, but he is not the kind of player a team replaces.

throwANDREtheBALL
07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
What he said

There is no way the TEXANS organization drafts a QB next year in the first round. IMPOSSIBLE

even if the whole front office is re-done, any GM with half a brain knows that they can't afford to waste a 1st rounder on a QB.

Lucky
07-07-2005, 03:05 PM
If you're right about Carr (hope yer not) that would suck...
Um, I don’t actually think that Carr, the GM, or the Head Coach will lose their job. That was my response to the premise of Carr losing his job due to a decision made by the Casserly/Capers braintrust. I think that in ’05 Carr will improve & the team will improve. I think that in the ’06 offseason Carr, Casserly, Capers & company will get contract extensions. I was only responding to the “what if…” scenario that was presented.

TheOgre
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Chris Palmer is the only guy that needs to be sweating his job this season.

El Tejano
07-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Chris Palmer is the only guy that needs to be sweating his job this season.
Can we post this statement for the rest of this thread. I am not a Fire Chris Palmer guy from days past but this offense is stacking nicely with talent and if it isn't used right this guy has to go.

TheOgre
07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Can we post this statement for the rest of this thread. I am not a Fire Chris Palmer guy from days past but this offense is stacking nicely with talent and if it isn't used right this guy has to go.

I defended Palmer because he had a good track record as an offensive coach. I got mad at some of his offseason comments about our O-line blocking schemes being adequate. That really chapped me.

Texas_Thrill
07-10-2005, 01:09 AM
I'm not quite ready to pull the plug on palmer just b/c our OL limits soooo much of what we can do. Its impossible to have a deep game when you get 1.5 seconds to throw it. That said I'd like to see us ATTEMPT to stretch it just a tad more than we have been even if carr takes a lump at least make the other team THINK we want to do it.

titan hater
07-11-2005, 05:55 PM
He wrote...

Carr's case is interesting and should result in a happy ending. His numbers are coming close to playoff level -- 61.2 percent completions, 7.58 yards per attempt, 16 touchdowns and an 83.5 quarterback rating. His contract has a buy-back option at the end of the year and the Texans are expected to execute the option or negotiate a long-term extension.

Though the Texans won a franchise-best seven games last year, much more is expected of Carr. His record is 14-29 as a starter and, barring a major setback, high expectations have been set.

Fldvldog
07-12-2005, 03:26 PM
If Joey Harrington does not get it done this season, he will probably never start again in the NFL. Kyle Boller is also one that needs to step it up.

PS: Has anybody noticed Bollers unorthodoxed release? I don't understand how he could throw the ball like that! idonno:

Evans Fan
07-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Carr won't be on the hot seat becaus e he has nothing to be worrireed about theyu will keep him cuz carr and johnson have great chemistry

DreamCatcher
07-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Carr will keep improving his numbers because he has talent. He does need better pass rush protection though and i hope Palmer has sorted that.