PDA

View Full Version : The Fade

thunderkyss
09-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Schaub threw the fade to Owen Daniels for a TD & back to back jump balls to DeAndre.

Why don't he ever throw those to Andre?

paycheck71
09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
He threw one to Andre for a TD last year vs Miami, but I don't remember seeing another one all year.

hradhak
09-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Not sure. I think that Schaub has improved in this area a lot. I don't think he was very good at it before. It helps that Hopkins can basically grab it out of the air wherever it is thrown.

Hopkins should be a good fantasy addition. He'll be catching a lot of TDs.

ATXtexanfan
09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Schaub threw the fade to Owen Daniels for a TD & back to back jump balls to DeAndre.

I wouldnt call those balls to Ddre fades. More of a back shoulder throw. Dont know why never seemed to attempt to dre

eriadoc
09-15-2013, 09:44 PM

Because he's not as good in the red zone as his overall greatness would suggest. Here's another one for you - what will you think when Hopkins puts up double digit TDs one of these years soon?

utahmark
09-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Its not his strong point. His first couple of years in the league they tried to get him involved on the goal line. He didn't come through. Even superman has a weakness.

infantrycak
09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Because he's not as good in the red zone as his overall greatness would suggest. Here's another one for you - what will you think when Hopkins puts up double digit TDs one of these years soon?

I don't think that is true. I think they scheme to have AJ clear zones out for others to get the TDs and it has been very effective. When it has come to absolute crunch time and they have to have a TD they go to him much more and he has generally come through.

Allstar
09-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Anytime we have a jumpball situation with Andre he usually plays it very well. He can snag like the best of em but for whatever reason we just don't give him shots in the endzone. It could possibly have to do with the fact that he gets so much attention in so little room.

dream_team
09-15-2013, 10:15 PM

I think he is that good. We've seen Schaub just throw a jump ball to Andre and he comes down with it multiple times. He even did it in today's game (the play where he got knocked out). He does have the ability, but probably need to ask Kubiak or Schaub why they don't do it more often.

DocBar
09-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I've often wondered about this and decided that AJ is a better decoy than target inside 10 yds. I also think that Schaub throws a poor fade. Besides, the Texans are a primo rushing team. Fake the run, use AJ as a decoy and hit xxx TE for the TD.

Seegara
09-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I wouldnt call those balls to Ddre fades. More of a back shoulder throw. Dont know why never seemed to attempt to dre
The fade is an excellent pattern in the end zone. And we have some receivers who can run it very well.

ObsiWan
09-16-2013, 02:37 AM
I've often wondered about this and decided that AJ is a better decoy than target inside 10 yds. I also think that Schaub throws a poor fade. Besides, the Texans are a primo rushing team. Fake the run, use AJ as a decoy and hit xxx TE for the TD.

The thing about the fade is that it's a precise timing pattern. The QB holds the ball for 2 or 3 counts then lets it fly to the back corner of the endzone. It's up to the WR to, get a clean release, work his way to that spot, be in position to body off the DB and go up and get the ball.

In the redzone few teams are going to give AJ a free release and most will double him so he'll have to beat two guys to make the catch.

Now that Hopkins has shown he can make that play too maybe AJ will see single coverage and have more opportunities to beat one guy instead of two.

TheMatrix31
09-16-2013, 02:52 AM
**** the fade. I hope it doesn't become a consistent thing now that it worked today.

It doesn't give options to the quarterback. It either works or it doesn't and most of the time, it just ends up being a wasted down more than anything else.

thunderkyss
09-16-2013, 07:46 AM

The TD to OD, that was a fade.

The TD to DeAndre I called a jump ball.

The big catch to Andre, where he got hurt..... that was a jump ball.

Texecutioner
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't think that is true. I think they scheme to have AJ clear zones out for others to get the TDs and it has been very effective. When it has come to absolute crunch time and they have to have a TD they go to him much more and he has generally come through.

Exactly. I have watched AJ make catches from every angle possible in the air and over his shoulders from different directions. You will never get me to believe that AJ is somehow inept on places like these. Hell, that is the part of his skill set that the thrives at. They just haven't schemed their offensive plays in the red zone to highlight that play for AJ, and it's been a mistake in my eyes.

Rey
09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Andre is more of a body catcher than Hopkins is. Hopkins is more like Fitzgerald with how he can go up and pluck balls out of the air. Hopkins is more of a hands catcher.

Not that Dre can't do it, but I don't think it's his strongest area.

76Texan
09-16-2013, 11:31 AM

IMO, it's a little of everything combined.
All the things that have been mentioned in this thread.

Mr teX
09-16-2013, 11:40 AM
They've talked about this once before...As best i remember, they say that jumping for those aren't a strength of AJ's......:rolleyes:

My personal opinion is that its always been to risky throwing those up to him b/c he's always had coverage shaded his way & there's just too many people over there to make it a viable successful play.

We saw Yates throw it up to him a few times like that in the Ravens playoff game...there were like 3 Ravens over there & they were both intercepeted

We've also seen Schaub try to throw it up to him like that....most recently in the 2nd Colts game last year...it got picked off as well i believe.

As great as AJ is, 1 on 2, 1 on 3 aren't good odds for a reception...not even for a talent like Megatron.

ObsiWan
09-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Exactly. I have watched AJ make catches from every angle possible in the air and over his shoulders from different directions. You will never get me to believe that AJ is somehow inept on places like these. Hell, that is the part of his skill set that the thrives at. They just haven't schemed their offensive plays in the red zone to highlight that play for AJ, and it's been a mistake in my eyes.

You're talking about the right thing: schemes but you're on the wrong side of the LoS. In past seasons, the other teams have schemed to take away A.J. in the redzone. Very seldom do you not see A.J. doubled when we get inside the 20. Usually, he's manned up with a corner who has safety help. It's tough to make a fade route work when the guy you're trying to get the ball to has backside help from the safety and sideline help due to lack of real estate.

Why do you think our TEs are so successful in the red zone? The other guys don't want to let 'Dre beat them.

Mr.Scarface
09-16-2013, 04:57 PM
The reason is Andre is usually doubled in the endzone. That is why TEs are usually open.