PDA

View Full Version : The pick play

dream_team
09-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Serious question about the 1-yd TD to Eddie Royal... where the refs initially threw a flag but later picked it up.

So why did they pick up the flag? I'm not an expert in regards to the legalities of setting a pick for receivers, but it looks like a clear pick to me. Did it have anything to do with still being behind the LOS?

I didn't see much protest from the Texans, so I assumed the refs made the right call.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000241720/Lightning-strikes-twice-for-Royal

EllisUnit
09-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Serious question about the 1-yd TD to Eddie Royal... where the refs initially threw a flag but later picked it up.

So why did they pick up the flag? I'm not an expert in regards to the legalities of setting a pick for receivers, but it looks like a clear pick to me. Did it have anything to do with still being behind the LOS?

I didn't see much protest from the Texans, so I assumed the refs made the right call.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000241720/Lightning-strikes-twice-for-Royal

The WR was blocking with his body before the other WR caught the ball, thought it was illegal, hell i dunno

JCTexan
09-10-2013, 03:27 PM
The WR was blocking with his body before the other WR caught the ball, thought it was illegal, hell i dunno

I'm pretty sure it is. There was a play this weekend (too many games to remember) where the WR was blocking downfield before the receiver caught the ball on a screen pass: He was called for pass interference.

Insideop
09-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah, good question. I'm still scratching my head on that one. Did we miss something? I never heard an explanation.

pissknocker
09-10-2013, 03:28 PM
It is legal because it happened less than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage. Per mike pereira

dream_team
09-10-2013, 04:11 PM
It is legal because it happened less than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage. Per mike pereira

That's the only thing I can think of that would make some kind of sense. Thanks!

76Texan
09-10-2013, 06:02 PM
It looks to me like the ball was already out of Rivers' hand when the receiver got ready to shield off the defender.
I wonder if it has anything to do with it.

NastyNate
09-10-2013, 07:17 PM

This...

DocBar
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Off topic, but I'm watching NFL channel right now and they are saying that the penalty on the FG attempt and saying it wasn't warranted. Not a single comment on the pick play.