PDA

View Full Version : Turning Point & Adjustments

thunderkyss
09-10-2013, 07:02 AM
What did you see? When did the game turn around & why?

Not just the big plays, but why was the Texans able to drive the field & score with "relative" ease in the second half compared to the first?

How was the defense able to
http://www.marketmenot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/yahoo-fantasy-football-jj-watt-shut-you-down-commercial.jpg

Shut you down!!!

In the second half, but couldn't get a stop in the first?

ATXtexanfan
09-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Special teams penalty vs SD on the fg stands out.

speedfreek
09-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Defense put it together, Rivers folded like a lawn chair -- Texans
O got rolling when they were given posession after possession
in rapid succession.

SD pass rush ran out of gas being on the field so much in the 4th

TJ

gwallaia
09-10-2013, 08:02 AM
1. Ball control for the Texans offense and wearing down of the Chargers D.

2. Stopping the Chargers on 3rd down, something the Texans could not do in the first half.

3. It cannot be understated the importance of me moving from the recliner to the end of the sofa midway through the 3rd quarter.

thunderkyss
09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
3. It cannot be understated the importance of me moving from the recliner to the end of the sofa midway through the 3rd quarter.

I think that was the biggest adjustment. I did the same thing, moved from the couch in my living room to the couch in my bed room.....

I think we shifted the gravitational pull more towards Reliant by doing so.

:specnatz:

TejasTom
09-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Heard on the radio this morning: once we down 28 - 7, the defense gave up 10 yards.

So as pitiful as it looked in the beginning our defense is currently ranked 6th.

2012Champs
09-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Heard on the radio this morning: once we down 28 - 7, the defense gave up 10 yards.

So as pitiful as it looked in the beginning our defense is currently ranked 6th.

Yup their last 5 drives netted 10 yards total

chicagotexan2
09-10-2013, 08:22 AM

holy cow. that's impressive.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2013, 08:49 AM
1. Ball control for the Texans offense and wearing down of the Chargers D.

2. Stopping the Chargers on 3rd down, something the Texans could not do in the first half.

I think that was the biggest adjustment. I did the same thing, moved from the couch in my living room to the couch in my bed room.....

I too made the shift from recliner to bedroom after the Chargers opening 3rd quarter score. I was pissed while making the shift too

nero THE zero
09-10-2013, 08:51 AM
I think the pressure just wore down Rivers. On a lot of our defensive plays--even the ones where good things happened for SD (e.g. the V. Brown TD)--we had pressure in Rivers' face. I think at some point that started to affect him mentally.

I didn't perceive any change in strategy on our part (though that's not to say there wasn't one), I just saw it more as (a) our players found their groove and (b) the pressure started affecting Rivers.

I think the game turned one Keo's hit on Royal and then Manning's block on the ensuing punt. Those were two tone setting plays and, to me, thing started to snowball in our favor at that point.

deucetx
09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Defensively, they stopped being so darn predictable with the heavy blitz man to man coverage. Wade put his stubborn ways aside and mixed the coverage more in the second half with some of that man and some zone. They also didn't show their blitz so openly and faked blitz as well. It was a better mixture and not so darn blatantly obvious. Wade was my biggest frustration during that horrible start. Glad he finally adjusted. It's the type of defense I expected especially when Reed is in the centerfield.

phantom17
09-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Defensively, they stopped being so darn predictable with the heavy blitz man to man coverage. Wade put his stubborn ways aside and mixed the coverage more in the second half with some of that man and some zone. They also didn't show their blitz so openly and faked blitz as well. It was a better mixture and not so darn blatantly obvious. Wade was my biggest frustration during that horrible start. Glad he finally adjusted. It's the type of defense I expected especially when Reed is in the centerfield.

This!:swatter: Plus a dose of Andre & DeAndre helped on offense!

sandman
09-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Yup their last 5 drives netted 10 yards total

While the Chargers scored on four of their first six drives (granted, one "drive" was a 14 yard TD pass), they netted a total of 1 first down on all of their non-scoring drive plays combined. I think it was a six play drive that ended in a punt, 5 three-and-outs and one interception.

It looked worse than what it was there for a while, but they were playing Mark Maguire football. Batting .200 with either a home run or a strike out. And with the law of averages, you are going to strike out a whole lot more.

badboy
09-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Well it did not change when my buddy took off his Texans hat thinking he had jinxed as he has not worn it before but when it was 28-7 and I said "this is pathetic and I will not waste sleeping time to watch crappy play. If they don't score a TD this drive, I'm going home" and they scored.

Actually, I believe it changed in the dressing room at half time when coaches probably went nuts. I know I saw Watts on side line yelling "I told you!" like ten times after that score.

Chance_C
09-10-2013, 10:06 AM
3. It cannot be understated the importance of me moving from the recliner to the end of the sofa midway through the 3rd quarter

I went outside with 2 minutes to go in the first half to drink a beer, then I drank another, and then the 3rd started and I finished the game sitting outside listening and drinking beer. The importance of the switch can't be overlooked

HJam72
09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I think the coaches study so hard on how to get a team ready for a game & what strategies to use that they have a hard time giving up on the original plan and trying something else.

Having said that, I've seen them come out and do something that they should've known was NOT the best plan of action, because all of the rest of us knew it before the game ever started, but that's been a few years ago.

b0ng
09-10-2013, 10:14 AM

I'm going to say the key game winning adjustment was my pants coming off right after the 4th Rivers TD.

Tailgate
09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Cant remember much of the second half, but it seemed Duane was getting abused by Freeney in the first half, and I assume it got better during the comeback.

ThaJokaa
09-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm going to say the key game winning adjustment was my pants coming off right after the 4th Rivers TD.

I thank you for taking off your pants which lead to us making a comeback, let me buy you a beer

disaacks3
09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
It cannot be understated the importance of me moving from the recliner to the end of the sofa midway through the 3rd quarter.

I too made the shift from recliner to bedroom after the Chargers opening 3rd quarter score. I was pissed while making the shift too

I went outside with 2 minutes to go in the first half to drink a beer, then I drank another, and then the 3rd started and I finished the game sitting outside listening and drinking beer. The importance of the switch can't be overlooked

I'm going to say the key game winning adjustment was my pants coming off right after the 4th Rivers TD. Hmm, I moved from the recliner to the couch for the second half as the Wife wanted a foot rub.

Playoffs
09-10-2013, 10:52 AM
We were losing a lot of small battles, and SD had some good fortune. I thought we'd come out flat and we did.

Duane Brown was horrible -- worst game of his career, I'd say. Foster was rusty. Cush was below average in first half. Brice McCain was pretty bad. Greg Jones missed some assignments.

It was just one of those games, though, where the score didn't really reflect the play. We played like an engine whose timing was just off enough to sputter.

Finally knocked the rust off and dominated after that. Odd game.

76Texan
09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
We were losing a lot of small battles, and SD had some good fortune. I thought we'd come out flat and we did.

Duane Brown was horrible -- worst game of his career, I'd say. Foster was rusty. Cush was below average in first half. Brice McCain was pretty bad. Greg Jones missed some assignments.

It was just one of those games, though, where the score didn't really reflect the play. We played like an engine whose timing was just off enough to sputter.

Finally knocked the rust off and dominated after that. Odd game.

It's MNF. I was thinking there's a good possibility we would have an outcome where the Chargers defy the odds and cover the line Over.

Seegara
09-10-2013, 11:06 AM

I changed from the sports bar to the computer. That probably had a lot to do with it.

dalemurphy
09-10-2013, 11:24 AM
If what I saw and have concluded from player comments are true and wade reluctantly shifted into more zone coverages and worked in more deception with his pass rush packages- given the success that resulted, this could have been a game that moves the texans from contenders to favorites. This is what is needed for the texans to matchup against elite teams. It is what was lacking vs. new england last season against Brady.

We will see. Showing pressure, and applying it, against lesser qbs is very effective but it is too much info for the better qbs if they have a team around them.

Playoffs
09-10-2013, 11:31 AM
It's MNF. I was thinking there's a good possibility we would have an outcome where the Chargers defy the odds and cover the line Over.

They did, I think.

I should add that call on hitting our center that turned a FG into a TD was bullsh!t. Crap rule, excessive penalty, flag football.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2013, 11:35 AM
They did, I think.

I should add that call on hitting our center that turned a FG into a TD was bullsh!t. Crap rule, excessive penalty, flag football.

BUT!

It is the rule and it was called correctly.

gwallaia
09-10-2013, 11:38 AM
They did, I think.

Yeah, it seems like a powder puff rule but the great Jim Tunney was there to explain it.

Malloy
09-10-2013, 11:40 AM

I don't know... My pants were off the entire game...

thunderkyss
09-10-2013, 11:41 AM
My official take...

With their new head coach & their new OC I don't think the Texans new what to expect from this team. Who'd have expected Eddie Royal to be running routes out of the slot? Far as I know, he's never done it. He's always been the speed guy on the outside. If I'm Vance Joseph the week going into that game I'm saying, "This is Eddie Royal, worry about the 7, the 9, & the go... that's it."

Look at what Philly did to Washington... Washington's defense was supposed to be better than that.

I also would not have expected them to run the ball up the middle with Ryan Matthews on 1st & 10, or 2nd & 8..... the Chargers did a really good job mixing the run & pass to keep us off balance.

At half time, they knew who they were playing, they new what to expect..... then they dropped that bomb to Malcolm Floyd... They tweaked a few things..... Daniel Manning on Gates, not Dj.... Cushing working the zone instead of rushing the QB... hit the middle of the line on 1st & 10 and 2nd & 8.

I think they also realized the Chargers can not keep up that tempo. It's he77 on a defense, but it's not easy for an offense either & very few offenses can run at that tempo for any length of time.

Malloy
09-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Did we blitz less in the second half? I have the distinct feeling that we used more zone, but it's just that, a feeling.

corytx8
09-10-2013, 11:52 AM
We still dialed up blitzes in the second half. I saw Cush drop into zone a few times. The pick 6 he dropped into zone. I saw the texans go into quite a bit of dime with man coverage with the Corners...

Fico
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Did we blitz less in the second half? I have the distinct feeling that we used more zone, but it's just that, a feeling.

We definitely played more zone, and I loved it.

We still brought pressure, but we did it with zone behind, which made Rivers actually have to read post snap and be precise with his throws.

With our normal pressure packages we dictate coverage pre-snap, which is an easy ready for the QB. Then we rely on winning 1 on 1 battles, which weren't doing early on against Chargers.

If Wade can make that adjustment regularly, or just incorporate more zone into our standard packages before we are down by 21, we will be extremely difficult to score on.

This is the only way we will beat the Mannings, Bradys, Rodgers of the league.

Tesuns
09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Defense put it together, Rivers folded like a lawn chair -- Texans

I can't believe ESPN aligned him with elite QBs. These were the games Chargers has been losing and these are the games the Texans have been winning. The Texans are battle hardened, remember those tough losses when we had FG problems and finishing games before we went streaking with divisions. Rivers said it best, " You've got to play all four quarters," except he didn't say "I".

Exascor
09-10-2013, 01:57 PM
With their new head coach & their new OC I don't think the Texans new what to expect from this team. <...>

Look at what Philly did to Washington... Washington's defense was supposed to be better than that.I was thinking that while the Eagles looked amazing on offense, how will they look when they face a real defense and not the Redskins?

I didn't think the Redskins defense was good last year. I looked them up. They were pretty bad.
2012: 28th in yardage. 22nd in PPG.
The Eagles made them look about right actually.
2013: 27th in yardage. 28th in PPG.

As for the actual point - I actually agree. Who knew exactly what to expect from SD? Considering the unknown, the Texans didn't do too bad. Take away the first play (Schaub's INT) and the whole game looks different IMO.

76Texan
09-10-2013, 04:43 PM
They got a TD on us in the first half when we were in zone coverage.
Yes, we played a little more zone in the second half, but basically, our man coverage held up much better. A little of this and a little of that; they all added up.

Showtime100
09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
This is from the "postgame props" thread, but it should be here.....

[speaking of JJ Watt]

I would like to add his ability to get the defense riled up. To my mind's eye there came a point, specifically at 28-7, when he just seemed to have had it. There were some shots of him on the sidelines essentially giving a pre-game pep talk to anybody that would listen.

After that moment all I saw was a defense that just arrived at Quallcom and took over. Watt, of course, was leading by example.

I don't pretend to know what exactly "clicked" for this defense, be it finally getting their rhythm, an adjustment by Wade, or pride I believe the defense to have. But for me seeing Watt on the sidelines followed by a different intensity and zero points by the Chargers was the big turning point among turning points.

Hell, major props all around. Kubiak...........I don't know what got into you on that 4th down, but I think I'll buy you a drink for it. Nothing came from it, but now the Texans are on record for running a fake punt. Something other teams now have to consider.

:)