PDA

View Full Version : Jamies Winston Qb Florida State

badboy
09-06-2013, 11:25 AM
or baseball pitcher or baseball fielder. I just wanted to share this info on a "phenom" who as a red shirt freshman could impact Texans and NFL in 2014. He turns 19 December 2013 and could choose to remain in school but his first start was pretty good. Need a lot more evaluating but this college season could be his last so "heads up" as they say. Lengthy bio article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--heisman-candidate-jameis-winston-plays-baseball-florida-state-025705602.html

rmartin65
09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
He is not eligible until 2015. If I remember the rules correctly, one has to be 3 years removed from high school.

Rey
09-06-2013, 11:40 AM
He is not eligible until 2015. If I remember the rules correctly, one has to be 3 years removed from high school.

Yes.

badboy
09-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah thought of that as I posted then did not know how to delete. I'll still watch him

rmartin65
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah thought of that as I posted then did not know how to delete. I'll still watch him

It happens. He is certainly one to watch. I did not catch much of the game Monday night, but I made a mental note.

TexansSeminole
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
He was touted as a great player coming out of high school and had a great game against Pitt. I'm trying to hold back a little because one game means nothing. He's got everything you would want out of a QB. He was doing a tad bit of **** talking in his first game, but our LT grabbed him after a TD and told him to calm down. He seems like a good guy too; he's a goofy guy if you follow his twitter.

We'll see how he performs against stiffer competition. We've got two seasons at least until we need to evaluate him as a prospect.

This guy has a deadly arm from the outfield. I watched FSU baseball this year and people rarely ever tried to take extra bases on him. He had a throw against Clemson to 3rd base where he got the runner and the Clemson kid got up like "what the hell???"

badboy
09-07-2013, 09:42 AM
He was touted as a great player coming out of high school and had a great game against Pitt. I'm trying to hold back a little because one game means nothing. He's got everything you would want out of a QB. He was doing a tad bit of **** talking in his first game, but our LT grabbed him after a TD and told him to calm down. He seems like a good guy too; he's a goofy guy if you follow his twitter.

We'll see how he performs against stiffer competition. We've got two seasons at least until we need to evaluate him as a prospect.

This guy has a deadly arm from the outfield. I watched FSU baseball this year and people rarely ever tried to take extra bases on him. He had a throw against Clemson to 3rd base where he got the runner and the Clemson kid got up like "what the hell???"TS I was hoping you would weigh in. Please drop an occasion line about what you see if you will. Few are the RS I get to focus on as so many others to watch. I should have caught his eligibility when I saw he is still 18. That is what I was reviewing in my mind when I hit the post. He "rages" on the field supposedly and drew some penalties in high school I believe. Looks like all he needs is seasoning.

76Texan
09-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I like him on first look.

badboy
09-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Hear that sound? That is Winston laughing this weekend at Mac Brown not choosing him.

TexansSeminole
09-09-2013, 01:03 PM
What's all this about Winston and Texas? His top two choices in the end were Alabama and Florida State, far and away. He chose FSU because they allowed him to also play baseball with Mike Martin, a legendary baseball coach. I keep hearing this and can't find anything outside of the fact that he was interested in Texas early in the process. The guy was the #1 quarterback in the nation out of high school, had Texas really had it so easy he would be a Longhorn. Recruits often change their mind frequently during the recruiting process. I can't tell you how many kids say they are going to sign with Florida State, then sign elsewhere. It happens every year.

The only reason he chose FSU was the ability to also play baseball. Had it not been for that, he would be at Alabama, not Texas.

Rey
09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
What's all this about Winston and Texas? His top two choices in the end were Alabama and Florida State, far and away. He chose FSU because they allowed him to also play baseball with Mike Martin, a legendary baseball coach. I keep hearing this and can't find anything outside of the fact that he was interested in Texas early in the process. The guy was the #1 quarterback in the nation out of high school, had Texas really had it so easy he would be a Longhorn. Recruits often change their mind frequently during the recruiting process. I can't tell you how many kids say they are going to sign with Florida State, then sign elsewhere. It happens every year.

The only reason he chose FSU was the ability to also play baseball. Had it not been for that, he would be at Alabama, not Texas.

Jameis Winston: "I'm an OU fan but I always wanted to go to Texas. If I'd gotten offer from Texas I'd be going to Texas right now" — Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) September 3, 2013

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman confirmed with Winston’s high school coach that the quarterback had called Texas “four or five” times and never received a call back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-phenom-qb-jameis-winston-wanted-texas-173337189--ncaaf.html

TexansSeminole
09-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Jameis Winston: "I'm an OU fan but I always wanted to go to Texas. If I'd gotten offer from Texas I'd be going to Texas right now" — Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) September 3, 2013

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman confirmed with Winston’s high school coach that the quarterback had called Texas “four or five” times and never received a call back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-phenom-qb-jameis-winston-wanted-texas-173337189--ncaaf.html

I read that.

Every year there are two or three guys that say that they have wanted to go to Florida State for their entire lives, verbally commit, only to sign elsewhere. That's the process. When someone says, "I want to go to "x" school," it often means that the process is not nearly over. Same thing happened with Julio Jones and Florida State, among many many other players. Dante Fowler, now a Gator, did the exact same thing.

My point is that a school never has a recruit in the bag until he signs on the dotted line. Had Texas recruited him harder, they may not even have been in his top 5 at the end of the recruiting period. Seems like fantasy to say "Texas could have had this kid if they wanted." That's rarely ever true.

Rey
09-09-2013, 01:53 PM
I read that.

Every year there are two or three guys that say that they have wanted to go to Florida State for their entire lives, verbally commit, only to sign elsewhere. That's the process. When someone says, "I want to go to "x" school," it often means that the process is not nearly over. Same thing happened with Julio Jones and Florida State, among many many other players. Dante Fowler, now a Gator, did the exact same thing.

He didn't say that before hand. He said that a few days ago.

I know how college recruiting goes. I was personally involved in the process about 10 years ago.

Why would he lie and say that and them why would his coach come out and say that he called Texas a few times and they never showed interest because they didn't think they had a shot to get him?

Mack browns statements confirm that. Said he got a tip that Winston wasn't really interested, so he didn't pursue him.

This was not some "early in the process" statement (which is what you initially said is all you could find)

So either you think Winston and his coach are lying or ???? I don't really see another option since you don't believe them.

TexansSeminole
09-09-2013, 01:55 PM
He didn't say that before hand. He said that a few days ago.

I know how college recruiting goes. I was personally involved in the process about 10 years ago.

Why would he lie and say that and them why would his coach come out and say that he called Texas a few times and they never showed interest because they didn't think they had a shot to get him?

Mack browns statements confirm that. Said he got a tip that Winston wasn't really interested, so he didn't pursue him.

This was not some "early in the process" statement (which is what you initially said is all you could find)

So either you think Winston and his coach are lying or ???? I don't really see another option since you don't believe them.

Winston, Florida State’s redshirt freshman phenom, told ESPN’s Max Olsen in a 2012 interview that he wanted desperately to go to Texas, but couldn’t get the Longhorns to acknowledge he even existed.

From your link. It says in a 2012 interview, it's only getting attention now.

He wanted to be recruited by them, said he would sign.

My point is that player's say that they have wanted it there entire lives, even verbally commit and then go elsewhere. It happens often, as you know.

Rey
09-09-2013, 01:58 PM
My point is that a school never has a recruit in the bag until he signs on the dotted line. Had Texas recruited him harder, they may not even have been in his top 5 at the end of the recruiting period. Seems like fantasy to say "Texas could have had this kid if they wanted." That's rarely ever true.

Like I said, I've personally gone through the recruiting process. I know how it goes. Don't need any info on that. I've visited different schools, sent film out, had coaches at my house...the whole 9.

But you're saying its fantasy to say Texas could have had him. People are only saying that because HE SAID IT.

So again...you have to think he'a lying. This is not some talking head speculation or MB chatter. The person you need to direct your disbelief towards is Winston.

If you think he's lying, fine. But that's not the argument you laid out.

TexansSeminole
09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Like I said, I've personally gone through the recruiting process. I know how it goes. Don't need any info on that. I've visited different schools, sent film out, had coaches at my house...the whole 9.

But you're saying its fantasy to say Texas could have had him. People are only saying that because HE SAID IT.

So again...you have to think he'a lying. This is not some talking head speculation or MB chatter. The person you need to direct your disbelief towards is Winston.

If you think he's lying, fine. But that's not the argument you laid out.

It's not fantasy to say that it was a possibility, but it's fantasy to say that they would have had him had they recruited him harder. As you know, that's rarely the case.

I don't think he is lying, I think it was a fluid process as it always is. I have heard numerous times now that Texas would have had him had they recruited him harder, I am simply pointing out that that is rarely true.

Rey
09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
From your link. It says in a 2012 interview, it's only getting attention now.

He wanted to be recruited by them, said he would sign.

My point is that player's say that they have wanted it there entire lives, even verbally commit and then go elsewhere. It happens often, as you know.

What does that matter? Regardless he said it after he had committed to FSU. This wasn't an "early in the process" statement like you initially said.

The fact that he said it last year gives it even more credence.

Rey
09-09-2013, 02:09 PM
It's not fantasy to say that it was a possibility, but it's fantasy to say that they would have had him had they recruited him harder. As you know, that's rarely the case.

I don't think he is lying, I think it was a fluid process as it always is. I have heard numerous times now that Texas would have had him had they recruited him harder, I am simply pointing out that that is rarely true.

I agree with that. It's a very fluid process and all kinds if things can sway your decision.

All that said, he's saying this stuff himself and has not issued a denial or retraction as far as I know.

I could understand if he said that early on in the process that he'd love to go to UT, but he said definitively that he would've been there.

But even if he did say that early on, doesnt mean it couldn't also be true.

It's not really that big of a deal other than to long horn fans mad because Mack sucks at getting top tier QB's....I can see why an FSU alumni would be mad because you want to be his first love. You don't want to feel like he settled for 2nd place.

But like I said...it's not a big deal. He's there now and likely not going anywhere. He's a Seminole.

TexansSeminole
09-09-2013, 02:10 PM
What does that matter? Regardless he said it after he had committed to FSU. This wasn't an "early in the process" statement like you initially said.

The fact that he said it last year gives it even more credence.

Where does it say that he said that after signing with FSU? National signing day is in February, he signed February 2012. Regardless, players make decisions after visits with multiple schools, as you know. Rarely does a player verbally commit to a school after receiving a scholarship offer without taking an unofficial or official visit.

The point is that it wasn't in the bag as is being insinuated. It's not about lying, it's about understanding how these things usually go even after recruits say they want to go to x school. The process continues and things often change.

TexansSeminole
09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I agree with that. It's a very fluid process and all kinds if things can sway your decision.

All that said, he's saying this stuff himself and has not issued a denial or retraction as far as I know.

I could understand if he said that early on in the process that he'd love to go to UT, but he said definitively that he would've been there.

But even if he did say that early on, doesnt mean it couldn't also be true.

It's not really that big of a deal other than to long horn fans mad because Mack sucks at getting top tier QB's....I can see why an FSU alumni would be mad because you want to be his first love. You don't want to feel like he settled for 2nd place.

But like I said...it's not a big deal. He's there now and likely not going anywhere. He's a Seminole.

It's not really about FSU being his first love. Hell, he wanted to go to Alabama more than FSU, it was mainly about being able to also play baseball, which Saban apparently wouldn't allow.

I'm just trying to insert some realism here. I spoke to a Longhorn family friend of mine on Thursday and he was ranting on and on about how Texas could have easily had this guy had Mack Brown recruited him harder. I just thought that was fantasy.

badboy
09-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Wow. i did not think it was that big a deal.

TexansSeminole
09-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Winston had another good day against a poor Nevada team. He was 15/18 with 214 yards, 2 TD passes, 1 INT. He also ran for a TD. He threw a pick that was totally his fault early in the game, but did extremely well after that. He did not play the full game, as our backup Jacob Coker took over after the game was well in hand. That's 8 touchdowns and 1 turnover in 2 games.

I'm still trying to keep from getting too excited. He hasn't been asked to play a big game yet, or even against a good defense. Next game is again Bethune-Cookman, so should be another easy day for Winston and the Noles.

Rey
10-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Ok, I've watched this guy some and I knew he was a pretty good player....but this guy is reaaaalllly good. It's early in his career, but some of the things this guy does are amazing.

I'm watching him agsinst Maryland and the way this guy throws the ball is pretty special. The guy has a gun, but his ball placement is extremely good.

Oh and Florida state is going to be in contention for nat'l titles as long as he's there. They are absolutely killing Maryland. 42 - 0 in the third quarter and they have the ball.

TexansSeminole
10-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok, I've watched this guy some and I knew he was a pretty good player....but this guy is reaaaalllly good. It's early in his career, but some of the things this guy does are amazing.

I'm watching him agsinst Maryland and the way this guy throws the ball is pretty special. The guy has a gun, but his ball placement is extremely good.

Oh and Florida state is going to be in contention for nat'l titles as long as he's there. They are absolutely killing Maryland. 42 - 0 in the third quarter and they have the ball.

Yeah, I try to keep from getting too excited, but wow. He amazes every week. It's hard to describe how good he is. He just does everything so well. Almost 400 yards passing and 5 TDs today.

Playoffs
10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Shefter: NFL scout compares "the 2015 1st pick" to a combination of Roethlisberger and Steve McNair.

badboy
10-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Oh and Florida state is going to be in contention for nat'l titles as long as he's there. They are absolutely killing Maryland. 42 - 0 in the third quarter and they have the ball.My eval also and he is only 19.

90/123 for 1441 yds @ 73.2 % 11.72 avg. 17 TDs 2 INTs.

b0ng
10-15-2013, 11:51 AM
"Famous"Jameis Winston is going to get a LOT of tv time in the next couple of years. That kid is something else indeed. Not sure he can just shrug off NFL D-linemen like he can in college, but it's pretty cool to see it right now.

TexansSeminole
10-15-2013, 02:27 PM
"Famous"Jameis Winston is going to get a LOT of tv time in the next couple of years. That kid is something else indeed. Not sure he can just shrug off NFL D-linemen like he can in college, but it's pretty cool to see it right now.

This throw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75oTotRbIc) at the end of the first half against Boston College was incredible.

This escape and off balance throw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnf7zOUZGQI) against Bethune-Cookman was pretty amazing too.

Then the escape and ball placement on this pass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpDhoph10qw)against Maryland just made me shake my head. Jimbo Fisher just started laughing.

Top 10 moments thus far (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LUQwabjhI), including baseball.

It's a pleasure watching him play. He's a gamer.

TexansSeminole
11-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Just got word that some bad stuff is about to come out in the news. Hope the source is wrong but I trust them. It's really bad.

I will update when it is confirmed.

Texian
11-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Just got word that some bad stuff is about to come out in the news. Hope the source is wrong but I trust them. It's really bad.

I will update when it is confirmed.

Florida State QB Jameis Winston
Investigated for Sexual Assault

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/13/jameis-winston-florida-state-quarterback-investigated-sexual-assault/#ixzz2kZXWCtQ3

TexansSeminole
11-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Florida State QB Jameis Winston
Investigated for Sexual Assault

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/13/jameis-winston-florida-state-quarterback-investigated-sexual-assault/#ixzz2kZXWCtQ3

I've also heard reports that they are investigating someone between 5'9 and 5'11. Winston is 6'4 so.

We will see when better reports come out.

TexansSeminole
11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I've also heard reports that they are investigating someone between 5'9 and 5'11. Winston is 6'4 so.

November 13, 2013
7:04pm

Tallahassee, FL - Tallahassee attorney Tim Jansen says he is representing FSU Quarterback Jameis Winston. He says Winston is cooperating with the investigation. Jansen says Winston has not been charged with anything and says Winston has never been questioned by Tallahassee police about the incident, not in December of 2012 and not recently.

Jansen says it is his understanding that this case was closed by Tallahassee police in February.

WCTV will bring more information as it becomes available.

Link (http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/BREAKING-231816891.html)

So, it's nothing really.

He was investigated, but they never actually questioned him. His attorney said he thought they had closed the investigation, but I guess he recently learned that they hadn't closed it yet. They are looking for someone between 5'9" and 5'11" per police report. (http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3565805/HTE_12-32758.pdf)

Sounds like this was just brought up now to make a story.

Stemp
11-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Well, his lawyer has already admitting representing him in the matter. So there must be something.

TexansSeminole
11-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Well, his lawyer has already admitting representing him in the matter. So there must be something.

Nothing has changed in the investigation since December of 2012, almost one year ago and he was never questioned.

I doubt anything comes of it at all. I doubt they even update the story past that he was investigated and not questioned. Sounds like it could have been a football player though.

Stemp
11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Nothing has changed in the investigation since December of 2012, almost one year ago and he was never questioned.

I doubt anything comes of it at all. I doubt they even update the story past that he was investigated and not questioned. Sounds like it could have been a football player though.

I doubt it too. But it could be the local paper got wind of an investigation that was swept under the rug by local PD and it's just now coming out. The paper asked for anything concerning Winston and this is what was released to them.

TexansSeminole
11-13-2013, 06:58 PM
I doubt it too. But it could be the local paper got wind of an investigation that was swept under the rug by local PD and it's just now coming out. The paper asked for anything concerning Winston and this is what was released to them.

What I had heard earlier was that local media was pressing TPD to release a police report that stated that there was a group sex/rape charge against several FSU players. Clearly, that was just a rumor. Sounds like they got wind of something involving Winston and pressed to have the police report released, as you stated, and now it has been.

I'm relieved to see the details come out. I'm not worried about this at all. It's smart of Winston to get a lawyer in this type of situation. Although, it doesn't sound like he has needed any legal advice as of yet. He hasn't even been interviewed and it's been a year.

76Texan
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
What I had heard earlier was that local media was pressing TPD to release a police report that stated that there was a group sex/rape charge against several FSU players. Clearly, that was just a rumor. Sounds like they got wind of something involving Winston and pressed to have the police report released, as you stated, and now it has been.

I'm relieved to see the details come out. I'm not worried about this at all. It's smart of Winston to get a lawyer in this type of situation. Although, it doesn't sound like he has needed any legal advice as of yet. He hasn't even been interviewed and it's been a year.

yAWn :slapfight:

Stemp
11-14-2013, 03:55 PM

You might be a bit premature. Seems like it may have been a coverup by the Tallahassee PD for the football team.

There's evidence Tallahassee cops tried to sweep the sexual assault investigation targeting Florida State University QB Jameis Winston under the rug to protect the team and its star player ... and ONLY took aggressive steps after TMZ Sports started asking questions.

Sources in the State Attorney's Office tell us they never even knew about the investigation until Tuesday ... JUST ONE DAY AFTER TMZ Sports began making calls to cops about the alleged assault.

Our sources in the State Attorney's Office say ... it was highly unusual cops wouldn't have filled them in about the case until this week. The sources say cops would have typically notified them when the investigation was completed, and Winston's lawyer reportedly says cops told him it was completed in February.

Now get this ... TMZ Sports started calling police about the case on Monday. We were told someone would get back to us later that day, but there was radio silence for 2 days ... we made repeated calls Tuesday and Wednesday and no one got back to us until late Wednesday afternoon.

Sources in the State Attorney's Office tell us ... the timing -- getting notified about the case months after it supposedly was closed and just a day after TMZ started calling -- is suspicious.

The State Attorney has now re-activated the case and sent it back to cops for further investigation.

And there's a twist -- guess what would happen if Winston was even CHARGED with felony sexual assault -- under FSU's rules ... he would be AUTOMATICALLY BENCHED ... killing the team's national championship hopes and his Heisman Trophy chances.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/14/jameis-winston-sexual-assault-investigation-florida-state-university-cover-up/#ixzz2kewvQEuI

TexansSeminole
11-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Says TMZ.

No facts of the story have changed. It doesn't seem as if they point to him in any way, so I'm not worried. I don't care what happens to TPD, they get no sympathy from me if they tried to sweep things under the rug. They've harassed me enough in my days to not get my support. Maybe they kept things quiet so as to not assassinate his character after it became obvious that the kid wasn't involved? I don't know, not enough evidence. Either way, Winston is in the clear.

Stemp
11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Uh oh. This could be a big problem for Winston if true.

He may have to be suspended (per FSU rules) if he get charged and this is looking VERY bad for the Tallahassee PD and FSU. And if they buried a rape investigation and lied to the media about the victim being drunk when she wasn't BECAUSE he was a football player, the school may have no choice but to suspend him pending the investigation to save face.

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2013/PDFs/winston.pdf

TexansSeminole
11-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Uh oh. This could be a big problem for Winston if true.

He may have to be suspended (per FSU rules) if he get charged and this is looking VERY bad for the Tallahassee PD and FSU. And if they buried a rape investigation and lied to the media about the victim being drunk when she wasn't BECAUSE he was a football player, the school may have no choice but to suspend him pending the investigation to save face.

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2013/PDFs/winston.pdf

It wouldn't be FSU's fault. It's more on TPD and potentially the State Attorney's office. I've heard that it's possible that the State Attorney's office, even Meggs, did know about the case back in December of last year. Either way, something is foul here.

If the family received blood and DNA work back in April, why are they not wondering why charges were not brought based on those results? Seems to me that if Winston was identified via blood work, the family would expect charges to be brought on him. Yet, they don't seem to be wondering about that. Did the blood work show that he was or wasn't involved? Considering they didn't bring that up, leads me to believe that he wasn't identified.

Too many question marks. Way too many. If she's been raped, where did she wake up? Seems that if you wake up somewhere and are unsure of who may have raped you, wouldn't you be able to determine that based on the residence in which you woke up? That would be a good place to start. So, she called police about the attack and did she tell them where she woke up? The part in which Winston wasn't initially named as the suspect by the victim is strange to me. Why would it take you 1 month to identify someone if you aren't intoxicated, as the family suggests? Also, why is the description of the attacker in the original police report so far off from Winston's physical description.

Why does it matter how much time Winston has to get his defense team and witnesses together? Witnesses are going to either lie or tell the truth, time doesn't change that. The defense also thought things were over in February, so why does that even matter?

Either way, the State Attorney's office is now heading the investigation so the original detectives are not leading the current investigation. I don't even know if they are involved. The only new information that we have is that witnesses have supported Winston's claims of what happened and that the family may have received blood work at some point in which didn't constitute charges being brought on Winston. Those two things and that the family is claiming that TPD improperly handled the case.

Need more information. Sounds like TPD was either biased or negligent in how they handled this, the State Attorney's office is corrupt, and/or the victim didn't have any concrete information that she gave to police, regardless of if Winston is guilty or not guilty. Wouldn't be surprised if both TPD and the State Attorney's office is corrupt. Meggs has been accused of corruption since as far back as 1999 over a number of issues.

Honestly, who gets raped, gets the blood work back and doesn't press for charges after 8 months have gone by? Who fears for their daughter's public perception over justice in their daughter's rape? All sounds very strange to me. If you are worried about public perception, transfer schools and sue for damages. If my daughter is raped, I'm going all out to get justice. I don't care who is the supposed perpetrator.

There's also a picture going around the area of Winston in the club kissing this girl and she's all wrapped around him, so take that for whatever it's worth. Probably nothing. She's white by the way. Pretty sure the club is "Coliseum" based on the decor that I see.

Stemp
11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
It wouldn't be FSU's fault. It's more on TPD and potentially the State Attorney's office. I've heard that it's possible that the State Attorney's office, even Meggs, did know about the case back in December of last year. Either way, something is foul here.

If the family received blood and DNA work back in April, why are they not wondering why charges were not brought based on those results? Seems to me that if Winston was identified via blood work, the family would expect charges to be brought on him. Yet, they don't seem to be wondering about that. Did the blood work show that he was or wasn't involved? Considering they didn't bring that up, leads me to believe that he wasn't identified.

He was identified. The police refused to collect DNA from him or interview his roommate. I believe they have yet to collect DNA from Winston.

Too many question marks. Way too many. If she's been raped, where did she wake up? Seems that if you wake up somewhere and are unsure of who may have raped you, wouldn't you be able to determine that based on the residence in which you woke up? That would be a good place to start. So, she called police about the attack and did she tell them where she woke up? The part in which Winston wasn't initially named as the suspect by the victim is strange to me. Why would it take you 1 month to identify someone if you aren't intoxicated, as the family suggests? Also, why is the description of the attacker in the original police report so far off from Winston's physical description.

You know what a roofie is? If you are trying to describe a person who is attacking you, how well would be able to tell if a person is 5'10" vs 6'1"? Seriously.? Unless you have a ruler on a door or stand directly next to the person, I doubt anyone could accurately describe a person's height, much less when they've been raped and are in trauma.

Why does it matter how much time Winston has to get his defense team and witnesses together? Witnesses are going to either lie or tell the truth, time doesn't change that. The defense also thought things were over in February, so why does that even matter?

If they alerted a person they are being investigated before interviewing him, it gives him time to get his story straight and talk to his friends to make sure their stories line up. Further, people's memory are of an event are much better the closer to the event they are interviewed. The way people remember events and details may change over time, even without meaning for it, simply because more time has passed.

Either way, the State Attorney's office is now heading the investigation so the original detectives are not leading the current investigation. I don't even know if they are involved. The only new information that we have is that witnesses have supported Winston's claims of what happened and that the family may have received blood work at some point in which didn't constitute charges being brought on Winston. Those two things and that the family is claiming that TPD improperly handled the case.

Right, they are investigating nearly a year later and the alleged perpatrator has had time to get rid of any evidence, talk to the witnesses (who happen to be his friends) and make sure they support his version of events. This doesn't seem wrong to you??

Honestly, who gets raped, gets the blood work back and doesn't press for charges after 8 months have gone by? Who fears for their daughter's public perception over justice in their daughter's rape? All sounds very strange to me. If you are worried about public perception, transfer schools and sue for damages. If my daughter is raped, I'm going all out to get justice. I don't care who is the supposed perpetrator.

That's what they did!! Why do you think they went to the attorney and kept pushing the police for results and an investigation? It took the media getting wind of this before any action was done. And how many idiots on that campus and in town would make her life hell if she publicly accused the star QB of rape?

There's also a picture going around the area of Winston in the club kissing this girl and she's all wrapped around him, so take that for whatever it's worth. Probably nothing. She's white by the way. Pretty sure the club is "Coliseum" based on the decor that I see.
Many rapes are done by people the victim knows or has been intimate with.
Much more likely to let your guard down with someone you know than a stranger.

You are a fan and you WANT to believe him. I get it. But if the victim was someone you knew or the alleged perp was just another guy instead of the star QB, do you think you'd feel differently about things?

TexansSeminole
11-20-2013, 02:47 PM
He was identified. The police refused to collect DNA from him or interview his roommate. I believe they have yet to collect DNA from Winston.

He was identified 1 month after the attack.

That's not how I read it. They said they waited for the DNA results until April. Sounds like they are more concerned with the timing of the DNA test. The police didn't get his DNA right away because they say they didn't want to tip him off that he was being investigated yet.

So, it sounds like they got his DNA results in April, or else what DNA results are they talking about? There is no information that the results from her test can give without something to compare it to. They are clearly talking about the DNA results from some other person, and Winston is the only person that they are talking about.

You know what a roofie is? If you are trying to describe a person who is attacking you, how well would be able to tell if a person is 5'10" vs 6'1"? Seriously.? Unless you have a ruler on a door or stand directly next to the person, I doubt anyone could accurately describe a person's height, much less when they've been raped and are in trauma.

Did you not read the same report that you posted? It says that the blood work determined that she was not intoxicated and they seem to take offense to the fact that it is being reported that she may have been. Clearly, if there was something in her bloodwork that showed that she had been roofied, don't you think they would be talking about that or that we would have heard something about that by now? Nobody is reporting that she was roofed. So, that is all assumption on your part.

You can't tell the difference between a 6'4" person and a 5'9" person, especially when you are sober? That is the difference in what the police report says and the actual height of Winston. You can't accurately tell the difference between those two? Seriously?

If they alerted a person they are being investigated before interviewing him, it gives him time to get his story straight and talk to his friends to make sure their stories line up. Further, people's memory are of an event are much better the closer to the event they are interviewed. The way people remember events and details may change over time, even without meaning for it, simply because more time has passed.

That was their whole reasoning for not taking DNA from Winston right away. I don't know if that's proper detective work in this kind of situation or not, and neither should you unless you are a detective or familiar with how they conduct rape investigations. It stands to reason that they would do some preliminary questioning and try to get as much information as possible before they take a DNA sample from someone and then precede to watch them lawyer up and shut their mouth. I know that if I were asked to submit a DNA test in the investigation of a woman's rape, I would immediately get a lawyer after I gave my DNA. I'd be on the phone with one as I left the police station.

Do you know how long a DNA test done for this type of investigation takes the police to process? I don't.

Winston's lawyer has already stated that witness interviews were conducted back before February, when he thought the case was closed. So, witnesses have already given their statements. There is no worry about the details changing in their mind, their account has already been recorded.

Right, they are investigating nearly a year later and the alleged perpatrator has had time to get rid of any evidence, talk to the witnesses (who happen to be his friends) and make sure they support his version of events. This doesn't seem wrong to you??

I don't know if it's wrong. I don't know how well the original investigation was conducted. Neither do you. We don't have information on that, all we have is the victim's family saying they weren't given information quickly enough.

That's what they did!! Why do you think they went to the attorney and kept pushing the police for results and an investigation? It took the media getting wind of this before any action was done. And how many idiots on that campus and in town would make her life hell if she publicly accused the star QB of rape?

Probably not very many. People are not barbarians. If a woman is raped and has a legitimate case against someone, the community is going to support her.

They got the results in April is what I am getting at. Why didn't they push for charges right then and there? If they were unable to get anything done in the face of overwhelming evidence, they should have gone to a higher agency to investigate the matter. It points to that the results that they got in April weren't what they thought they'd be and now they want to go after TPD in regards to the slow progress of the investigation.

You are a fan and you WANT to believe him. I get it. But if the victim was someone you knew or the alleged perp was just another guy instead of the star QB, do you think you'd feel differently about things?

No. The statement released by her family is weird. Read it again and look at the facts as we have them. It's not well constructed in the very least. I'd be surprised if a lawyer even read over it.

All the family is doing is questioning the timing of specific aspects of the investigation. If the police don't have anything to go by, they don't press charges. The family isn't even saying that there is clear cut evidence that he should be charged.

We can talk about this again when we have more actual information. Like the DNA results that the family got back in April. What did that say? That's actual evidence. Until we get more information, it's all assumptions. Both you and I are simply assuming basically everything we are saying here.

Stemp
11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
He was identified 1 month after the attack.

That's not how I read it. They said they waited for the DNA results until April. Sounds like they are more concerned with the timing of the DNA test. The police didn't get his DNA right away because they say they didn't want to tip him off that he was being investigated yet.

So, it sounds like they got his DNA results in April, or else what DNA results are they talking about? There is no information that the results from her test can give without something to compare it to. They are clearly talking about the DNA results from some other person, and Winston is the only person that they are talking about.

THERE ARE NO DNA RESULTS. They were waiting for the victim's bloodwork to come back, which they didn't get was until April. Winston has never had his DNA taken. It does NOT take 6 months to run bloodwork. Ask any tech who works for hospital or doctor. The police protected Winston as a suspect and stonewalled the victim and her attorney.

Did you not read the same report that you posted? It says that the blood work determined that she was not intoxicated and they seem to take offense to the fact that it is being reported that she may have been. Clearly, if there was something in her bloodwork that showed that she had been roofied, don't you think they would be talking about that or that we would have heard something about that by now? Nobody is reporting that she was roofed. So, that is all assumption on your part.

They are taking offense to the fact that the police made it seem like she got herself intoxicated and trying to blame the victim (which seems to have worked on you).

You can't tell the difference between a 6'4" person and a 5'9" person, especially when you are sober? That is the difference in what the police report says and the actual height of Winston. You can't accurately tell the difference between those two? Seriously?

Have you ever been under stress and trauma had had to identify a person's height? You are guessing, not pulling out a tape measure. You think you could remember what a person's height or face looked like if they were pointing a gun at you or if you were being held down and raped? If you are banking on the fact that the height was wrong, then you re holding on to a very thin rope.

That was their whole reasoning for not taking DNA from Winston right away. I don't know if that's proper detective work in this kind of situation or not, and neither should you unless you are a detective or familiar with how they conduct rape investigations. It stands to reason that they would do some preliminary questioning and try to get as much information as possible before they take a DNA sample from someone and then precede to watch them lawyer up and shut their mouth. I know that if I were asked to submit a DNA test in the investigation of a woman's rape, I would immediately get a lawyer after I gave my DNA. I'd be on the phone with one as I left the police station.

Except they didn't do preliminary questioning, at least not of Winston or his witness buddy. They took her blood and figured out the alleged was Winston and then stonewalled her. The police are supposed to question people as soon as possible and they didn't. They stonewalled the victim, put the investigation in a drawer and left it there till the media got wind nearly a year later.

Do you know how long a DNA test done for this type of investigation takes the police to process? I don't.

There is no DNA. Blood work takes a week at most. So either they didn't send it out or they sat on the results for months.

Winston's lawyer has already stated that witness interviews were conducted back before February, when he thought the case was closed. So, witnesses have already given their statements. There is no worry about the details changing in their mind, their account has already been recorded.

No, Winston's lawyer was informed they closed the cased when they hadn't and haven't interviewed Winston or his roommate. The "witnesses who support Winston's version" spoke to Winston's attorney, not the police.

I don't know if it's wrong. I don't know how well the original investigation was conducted. Neither do you. We don't have information on that, all we have is the victim's family saying they weren't given information quickly enough.

Common sense would dictate it doesn't take a 6 months to get blood work done or a year to to send a rape case to the state attorney or to question the alleged perpetrator. If they thought he might be innocent, they would have interviewed him and then closed the case, not stick in a drawer.

Probably not very many. People are not barbarians. If a woman is raped and has a legitimate case against someone, the community is going to support her.

Wow, you must live a dreamworld. The supporters of a school taking the side of a victim and not the star QB? Seriously? The POLICE EVEN TOLD HER ATTORNEY TO THINK ABOUT THE ACCUSATION AND THAT SHE WOULD LIKELY FACE RETRIBUTION FOR ACCUSING HIM!!

They got the results in April is what I am getting at. Why didn't they push for charges right then and there? If they were unable to get anything done in the face of overwhelming evidence, they should have gone to a higher agency to investigate the matter. It points to that the results that they got in April weren't what they thought they'd be and now they want to go after TPD in regards to the slow progress of the investigation.

Again, BECAUSE IT WASNT DNA. It was HER blood work.

All the family is doing is questioning the timing of specific aspects of the investigation. If the police don't have anything to go by, they don't press charges. The family isn't even saying that there is clear cut evidence that he should be charged.

The family is questioning whether the police buried the investigation and protected the FSU star QB. And why did they inform Winston's attorney if they didn't want to tip him off? And why did they keep the school police informed if they made it clear they didn't have jurisdiction?

We can talk about this again when we have more actual information. Like the DNA results that the family got back in April. What did that say? That's actual evidence. Until we get more information, it's all assumptions. Both you and I are simply assuming basically everything we are saying here.
THERE IS NO DNA.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2013, 04:27 PM
So who's DNA results were they waiting to be released to them, that was apparently released to them in April?

You make a point about people being raped by people they know, then go on a tangent about not being able to identify someone in a stressful situation. If you know the person already, shouldn't you be able to identify them? You're being inconsistent.

You also are saying that the family is worried about the victim being blamed, by the police, for being intoxicated. Where have you read that police said this? Assumptions again. It's the media that reported that she may have been. Before you make the assumption that she was roofied, now you're backing off that by saying the police are blaming her by incorrectly saying she was intoxicated. Again, inconsistent.

Six months for blood work? You got six months from where? January to early April is 3 months, assuming they took the sample in January. She identified him in January and the family is upset that the DNA wasn't taken immediately, so it is safe to assume that they waiting until perhaps early February, after they did more investigating, to take the sample. That means 2 months.

You keep saying that Winston's DNA wasn't taken but that's not what was said. The family is worried about the timing of it.

It's pretty clear that you already think Winston is guilty, or want him to be found guilty. Maybe it is because you want your boy to win the Heisman and this is an easy way for him to do so? I don't know. You're talking in circles. You've made assumptions and now turned them into "facts" when there is no reason to do so. Engaging you in this conversation is to read you capitalize your assumptions and put exclamation marks behind them. No thanks.

Stemp
11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
So who's DNA results were they waiting to be released to them, that was apparently released to them in April?

THERE IS NO DNA. WHY ARE YOU HUNG UP ON DNA. They were waiting for the victims bloodwork to come back.

You are trying to argue tangents and all I am saying is that there are good reasons why her description doesn't exactly match Winston. But apparently there was other things pointing at him to make them believe he was a suspect. And then they just stopped the investigation once he was identified.

Six months for blood work? You got six months from where? January to early April is 3 months, assuming they took the sample in January. She identified him in January and the family is upset that the DNA wasn't taken immediately, so it is safe to assume that they waiting until perhaps early February, after they did more investigating, to take the sample. That means 2 months.

OK 4 months. Dec (when the incident happened and they took her blood) to April is 4 months. Still WAY too long to get results.

You keep saying that Winston's DNA wasn't taken but that's not what was said. The family is worried about the timing of it.

No, they haven't taken DNA from him yet. In fact, as of Nov 14 (http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/BREAKING-231816891.html), Winston's lawyer said the police NOW want to get a DNA swab, but my understanding is that he hasn't given it yet. And again, Winston's lawyer (who also happens to represent FSU and its athletic dept) has offered to provide witnesses. The cops never did their job and interviewed them themselves.

It's pretty clear that you already think Winston is guilty, or want him to be found guilty. Maybe it is because you want your boy to win the Heisman and this is an easy way for him to do so? I don't know. You're talking in circles. You've made assumptions and now turned them into "facts" when there is no reason to do so. Engaging you in this conversation is to read you capitalize your assumptions and put exclamation marks behind them. No thanks.
No, you are just either misinformed or jumbling facts and assumptions to keep your boy completely innocent in your mind so he can continue to play. But from what I'm hearing he may be forced to sit for the ACC championship game and the bowl game.

BTW Here are the facts

* They haven't yet taken nor tested Winston's DNA
* The police never interviewed Winston after he was identified as a suspect
* The police never interviewed Winston's roommate after Winston was identified as a suspect.
* The police told the victim no one outside of law enforcement knew about the allegations even though they told Winston's lawyer about the case
* The police told Winston's lawyer the case was closed (when it wasn't)
* The police wrote in the report the victim declined to press charges when her attorney was actually calling repeatedly to find out the test results to make a determination.
* The victim waited for ~4 months for test results that take less than a week to process.

I'm upset because this this isn't a guy possibly breaking NCAA rules. This is a crime that is being covered up by the police because the alleged perp is a football player. The fact that the police covered it up so much and stonewalled for so long, to me, indicates there may be more to the story.

So let's find out if he's innocent or not. Let's get a swab of DNA and find out if it matches. I wonder why Winston's lawyers haven't advised him to do that if he's totally innocent?

keyser
11-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Well, it looks like this just got more serious for Winston:

A DNA analysis completed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement on Tuesday confirmed that DNA provided by Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston matched the sample taken from the underwear of a woman who has accused him of sexual battery.
Link (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10009077/dna-analysis-matches-jameis-winston-accuser).

At the risk of sending this thread to the no-spin zone, regardless of whether Winston is guilty or not, how could that police department be so messed up that they would not have investigated this thoroughly months ago?

Texn4life
11-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Link (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10009077/dna-analysis-matches-jameis-winston-accuser).

At the risk of sending this thread to the no-spin zone, regardless of whether Winston is guilty or not, how could that police department be so messed up that they would not have investigated this thoroughly months ago?

Wow, while this doesn't mean he's guilty of sexual assault this isn't good. He'll have to somehow prove the sex was consensual, but the fact he chose to not speak to police makes him look almost guilty as sin now. I hope its not true, but wow.

TexansSeminole
11-20-2013, 11:18 PM

Yikes. Now that's proof. He better hope that he has some proof that it was consensual.

He doesn't come across as the type, but you never know for sure. Hope he isn't, but if he is I don't want him on the Seminoles.

In regards to TPD, doesn't surprise me all that much to be honest.

Dutchrudder
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I haven't really been following the story, but did Winston deny sleeping with this chick before the DNA test?

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I haven't really been following the story, but did Winston deny sleeping with this chick before the DNA test?

No, he hadn't given any statement pretty much at all. His lawyer is saying that they never denied it.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
So, I'll share what I am hearing through the grapevine. Take it for what it's worth, probably not much.

Apparently the affidavit from both the accuser's roommate and a football player state that they were both present the night of the incident. It apparently happened at her apartment. They both say that the two had an ongoing relationship, in which they have photos taken before and after the incident. Her roommate claims that she was upset with Winston because his real girlfriend was coming into town and he had told the accuser to law low. She called police and then changed her mind but was embarrassed when they got to the scene. According to roommate, she intentionally fabricated description of the accuser so as to not implicate Jameis, because she had changed her mind. In the investigation, she was pressed and eventually admitted, one month later, that it was Jameis that she had originally called police about. She met with Meggs at the State Attorney's office and reaffirmed that she did not want to press charges. TPD and State Attorney's office were investigating and now are trying to figure out how to clear Winston without humiliating the accuser. Winston informed Jimbo Fisher in December of everything.

Again, rumors that I am hearing. Who knows if it is true or not. Could be completely false. Just passing along what I am hearing. That kind of goes with what I had heard earlier, that Meggs knew about the investigation in January.

It's going to be interesting when we finally learn what actually happened. It seems like there is some corruption here in every situation. Either TPD, or the SAO, or both.

Stemp
11-21-2013, 11:50 AM
So, I'll share what I am hearing through the grapevine. Take it for what it's worth, probably not much.

Apparently the affidavit from both the accuser's roommate and a football player state that they were both present the night of the incident. It apparently happened at her apartment. They both say that the two had an ongoing relationship, in which they have photos taken before and after the incident. Her roommate claims that she was upset with Winston because his real girlfriend was coming into town and he had told the accuser to law low. She called police and then changed her mind but was embarrassed when they got to the scene. According to roommate, she intentionally fabricated description of the accuser so as to not implicate Jameis, because she had changed her mind. In the investigation, she was pressed and eventually admitted, one month later, that it was Jameis that she had originally called police about. She met with Meggs at the State Attorney's office and reaffirmed that she did not want to press charges. TPD and State Attorney's office were investigating and now are trying to figure out how to clear Winston without humiliating the accuser. Winston informed Jimbo Fisher in December of everything.

Again, rumors that I am hearing. Who knows if it is true or not. Could be completely false. Just passing along what I am hearing.

I have a hard time believing that if they "closed" the investigation in feb yet the victim was pushing to get the blood work results till April.

Besides that, there are photos of injuries she sustained. I doubt he will get away with blowing it off as "rough sex"

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a hard time believing that if they "closed" the investigation in feb yet the victim was pushing to get the blood work results till April.

Besides that, there are photos of injuries she sustained. I doubt he will get away with blowing it off as "rough sex"

I haven't seen any photos. Do you have a link to that?

If the above is true, she is clearly being opportunistic. If above is true, wouldn't believe anything her family's statement is saying.

We shall see what the truth is in time. Simply passing along things I have heard with disclaimers that they are rumors.

This is the email that I got from trusted source:

Rumor from Tally is... that JWs story has ALWAYS been it that it was consensual. That one of the affidavits is from the accuser’s roommate and the other is from another football player, both of whom were present (happened at HER apartment, not a bar, not a party, not JWs place). That both confirm that they had an ongoing relationship. That there are photos of the two of them together taken before AND after the initial allegation. That roommate claims she was pissed at JW for some reason that night and decided to claim rape. (perhaps because he told her his real GF was coming in town that day and to lay low). That she changed her mind after the call but before the cops got there but didn’t want to tell them she made it up. (thus the “unidentified” rapist…intentionally fabricated description) That when she later was pressed, she identified JW and was questioned about her inconsistent statements and evidence of a consensual relationship and realized she better drop it. That when the accuser met with Meggs on Tuesday, she reaffirmed that she did not want to press charges. That every bit of evidence collected points to consensual sex and there is no way charges will be brought. That TPD and SAO are only trying to figure out how to clear JW without exposing/humiliating the accuser. Also, that JW informed Jimbo about it in DECEMBER of last year after he heard of the call to the cops and told him EVERYTHING (thus JF’s continued faith in JW). Assuming any of this is correct (not that there is any proof of any of it) JW, JF and Jansens confidence is not surprising. Based on what we know now, if there are no charges by Friday, and if JW is suited up on Saturday, you can bet that there will not be any. And whoever is responsible for leaking this is certainly going to get “raked over the coals”. TIFWIW, but the sources are pretty close to the situation

Again, it's a rumor.

Stemp
11-21-2013, 12:13 PM

The police and the state attorneys have them since the police took them that night and put them in the report. It's been reported numerous times. And they aren't going releasing the photos of her or her injuries to the public unless they want to make this an ever bigger CF. Yeesh.

Here's a link to a pretty good summation and timeline of what has happened. Includes an update saying the victim or her attorney never told the police she didn't want to press charges, but that she gave up because it was obvious the police weren't going to investigate the matter.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/joelanderson/everything-thats-happened-so-far-in-the-sexual-assault-inves

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
The police and the state attorneys have them since the police took them that night and put them in the report. It's been reported numerous times. And they aren't going releasing the photos of her or her injuries to the public unless they want to make this an ever bigger CF. Yeesh.

Here's a link to a pretty good summation and timeline of what has happened. Includes an update saying the victim or her attorney never told the police she didn't want to press charges, but that she gave up because it was obvious the police weren't going to investigate the matter.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/joelanderson/everything-thats-happened-so-far-in-the-sexual-assault-inves

Police collected evidence and took photos of the victim's injuries.

This statement is a summary of what comes from the police report in which it says, "photos/videos taken? Yes - digital."

Anything a bit more specific on the injuries? I also didn't mean a link to the actual photos, I didn't word that properly. I know they aren't going to release photos. I meant info about the photos of injuries.

We'll find out the truth by end of next week at the latest.

htownfan32
11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
If there are charges laid, does FSU have a policy for automatic suspension?

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 01:48 PM
If there are charges laid, does FSU have a policy for automatic suspension?

If he's charged, he'll be suspended.

htownfan32
11-21-2013, 01:50 PM
If he's charged, he'll be suspended.

Wow. That could shake a lot of stuff up.

Btw I also heard over the internet what you posted earlier (disgruntled girl because she finds out she's the "other woman"). Whatever the case may be, I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

GlassHalfFull
11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Jameis Winston Isn't The Only Problem Here: An FSU Teacher's Lament (http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410)

We love the game. We love the players, too, even when they scare us.

Like the blue-chip defensive secondary leader who wrote his personal essay for an openly gay professor on the time in high school he gleefully commanded a posse to bash a girly fag near to death, caved the queer's face, and ruined his smile.

Or the hulking offensive star who brought a friend to help him corner a short, pretty instructor alone in her closet office and scare her within an inch of her life for telling the athletic department he was clowning in class...

More at the link. I wonder how widespread this is in college football.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Jameis Winston Isn't The Only Problem Here: An FSU Teacher's Lament (http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410)

More at the link. I wonder how widespread this is in college football.

Probably pretty prevalent for both basketball and football athletes.

I've heard some stories from students that would shock you, but it's interesting to hear it from the teacher's point of view.

My only experience was a positive one, but there weren't many FSU players in the College of Business when I was there. I had Christian Ponder in one of my high level real estate courses and he was extremely bright. He sat in the front row and always had something to contribute to class conversations. He was also always one of the first people to finish the tests. Myron Rolle was a Rhodes Scholar and ended up accepting the trip to Oxford. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but always wanted to.

Unfortunately, the bad far outweighs the good. I can imagine that teachers feel helpless at times when dealing with some guys.

htownfan32
11-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Probably pretty prevalent for both basketball and football athletes.

I've heard some stories from students that would shock you, but it's interesting to hear it from the teacher's point of view.

My only experience was a positive one, but there weren't many FSU players in the College of Business when I was there. I had Christian Ponder in one of my high level real estate courses and he was extremely bright. He sat in the front row and always had something to contribute to class conversations. He was also always one of the first people to finish the tests. Myron Rolle was a Rhodes Scholar and ended up accepting the trip to Oxford. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but always wanted to.

Unfortunately, the bad far outweighs the good. I can imagine that teachers feel helpless at times when dealing with some guys.

I'm sure every college program in the US has it's share of these guys, and its share of smart athletes too. You could probably replace FSU with any other university and it all would hold true.

Texn4life
11-21-2013, 08:50 PM

If the above is true, she is clearly being opportunistic. If above is true, wouldn't believe anything her family's statement is saying.

We shall see what the truth is in time. Simply passing along things I have heard with disclaimers that they are rumors.

This is the email that I got from trusted source:

Again, it's a rumor.

Don't know you, but that e-mail sounds like some BS to me. The guy that sent that to you does realize there is something called pulling phone records these days right? This girl has made some pretty bold accusations in the last couple of days including calling out TDP. Phone records can be pulled pretty quickly these days so her statement about not knowing him before that night would be pretty stupid on her part and I'm sure TDP would jump at the opportunity to disprove this if they could considering the accusations she's made about them.

Also, its been noted that she wasn't able to actually identify him until a month after the incident happened in December. So Jameis "heard" about the call and told Jimbo about it and told him the same month it happened? Again, all of this should be pretty easy to prove or disprove if that were the case. I'm not saying any of this isn't true, but I'm just not buying it. There is obviously more here than just a girl scorned.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 10:12 PM
We'll find out the truth soon enough. I told you to take it for what it's worth, did I not?

Texn4life
11-21-2013, 10:18 PM
We'll find out the truth soon enough. I told you to take it for what it's worth, did I not?

Most definitely.......... I was just laying out why I don't buy what the e-mail said. JMO on it. I've seen some suspect tweets that are supposedly from her so I'm sure it'll out come to light. Either her, her family, and their attorney are dumb as a box of rocks or she's telling the truth.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Most definitely.......... I was just laying out why I don't buy what the e-mail said. JMO on it. I've seen some suspect tweets that are supposedly from her so I'm sure it'll out come to light. Either her, her family, and their attorney are dumb as a box of rocks or she's telling the truth.

I hear ya.

If above is true, could be that she was embarrassed about it and didn't want to tell her parents about how she called the police because she was mad. Her parents may not know what actually happened.

A lot of possibilities. I live with a public defender, so I tend to stick to the innocent until proven guilty rule. Definitely heard my share of crazy stories.

Texn4life
11-21-2013, 10:37 PM
I hear ya.

If above is true, could be that she was embarrassed about it and didn't want to tell her parents about how she called the police because she was mad. Her parents may not know what actually happened.

A lot of possibilities. I live with a public defender, so I tend to stick to the innocent until proven guilty rule. Definitely heard my share of crazy stories.

I know a couple of guys that were falsely accused of rape. Definitely nothing to make light of. Like I said they've made statements that they just met that night. That's just something that's way too easy to prove false if that wasn't the case.

I like Jameis and hope he wouldn't do something like this. I haven't made any judgements on his innocence or guilt. I just think a lot of what people are posting on forums sounds like made up stories thats all. Not necessarily you, but certain things aren't adding up from a lot of "sources".

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 11:03 PM
I know a couple of guys that were falsely accused of rape. Definitely nothing to make light of. Like I said they've made statements that they just met that night. That's just something that's way too easy to prove false if that wasn't the case.

I like Jameis and hope he wouldn't do something like this. I haven't made any judgements on his innocence or guilt. I just think a lot of what people are posting on forums sounds like made up stories thats all. Not necessarily you, but certain things aren't adding up from a lot of "sources".

I think it's just because we have very little information and it's so high profile. I'll be happy when it's over.

Dutchrudder
11-22-2013, 01:48 PM
They need to sort this **** out quickly before the Heisman votes close in a few weeks. It would be truly amazing if Johnny Football wins the Heisman again due to the other guy having even worse character issues. I certainly would not have predicted that.

Stemp
11-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Remember when being accused of signing autographs for money by anonymous shady memorabilia dealers was a big deal? And then Winston said "slap me upside the head if I ever catch manziel disease"? :thinking:

Corrosion
11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Wow. i did not think it was that big a deal.

Nope , sex crimes are not a big deal at all , let the police go write traffic citations instead .... :sarcasm:

TexansSeminole
11-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Interesting article on yahoo sports

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--opinions-on-jameis-winston-case-vary-as-florida-state-community-awaits-decision-041643901.html)

Travis Johnson says he knows exactly who Willie Meggs is. He certainly knows, perhaps better than just about anyone else, what Jameis Winston may be dealing with right now.

Ten years ago, Johnson was a Florida State defensive lineman charged with sexual battery by Meggs' office. He was accused of forcing himself on an FSU female shot putter, with whom he'd previously had a relationship. His family hired an attorney. He vehemently proclaimed his innocence. He said he took and passed three lie detector tests. He presented evidence and experts who said because of a recent surgery, he couldn't possibly have held anyone down.

"Meggs charged me anyway," Johnson told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday. "Just like I believe he's going to charge Jameis. He wants to prosecute Florida State players. He is obsessed with attention and wants big cases."

The State Attorney has repeatedly defended its decision to try the Johnson case, saying it was a case of he said/she said, and there was no ulterior motive in bringing it to trial.

After two days of evidence and testimony, however, Johnson won an acquittal from an all-female jury that needed just 30 minutes of deliberation.

"I talked to the jury," Johnson said. "They didn't even need that. They spent five minutes going to the bathroom, five minutes laughing about the evidence. The trial was a joke. Meggs knew all of that. He never should have charged me."

Johnson was cleared just before his senior year, where he returned to the field for the Seminoles and wound up the 16th pick overall in the 2005 NFL draft. He played six seasons in the league for Houston and San Diego and now looks on from afar convinced that he is witnessing deja vu – the potential railroading of a star Seminole.
"I was a star but not the level of Jameis Winston," Johnson said. "This is Willie Meggs' big chance."

Johnson, 31, is married and raising five children in Houston. He said while he obviously doesn't know exactly what happened in the Winston case, from what he does know via media reports and his connections to FSU football, he believes in the quarterback's innocence. He says just charging Winston would be devastating to the player.

Mostly he doesn't trust the State Attorney.

"Facts don't matter when you are dealing with a guy like Willie Meggs. Willie Meggs isn't out for the facts …

"At the end of the day, this is still the Jim Crow South," said Johnson, who originally hailed from Sherman Oaks, Calif. "You think, 'It's Florida.' Well, it's not Florida. It's South Georgia. Tallahassee is South Georgia."

Johnson fears for Winston if he is charged. He says his own ordeal resulted in severe mental and emotional depression, and the hurt didn't go away with an acquittal. He had to relive it through taunts from opposing fans and concerned looks from fellow students who merely passed him the hallway outside a classroom. The humiliation continued when he had to discuss the situation with all 32 NFL teams during the draft process. And he knows that no matter what the jury said, some still believe he did it.

"Right after the verdict I turned to the State's Attorney table and told them, 'You're all pieces of [expletive],' " Johnson said. "They knew the facts of the case and they put me through it anyway. They tried to destroy me. And now it's the same thing.

It's a long article. I found this part particularly interesting. I remember the Travis Johnson case pretty well, maybe others here researched it after the Texans picked him up.

It's not surprising about Meggs. He has been involved in shady prosecutions since 1999. He charged a whistle-blower who had brought attention to a corrupt police officer on basically no evidence. Drug the guy through the mud because he exposed one of his own, as Meggs is a former police officer.

TexansSeminole
11-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Remember when being accused of signing autographs for money by anonymous shady memorabilia dealers was a big deal? And then Winston said "slap me upside the head if I ever catch manziel disease"? :thinking:

Lol, this is all about Manziel, his Heisman chances, and his public perception for you. Pretty clear and wasn't difficult to see from the get-go.

What happens to your guilty until proven innocent attitude if Winston isn't charged? Still going to claim corruption by police? What about if he's charged and found not guilty? Still going to feel the same way? I'd bet on it.

htownfan32
11-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Lol, this is all about Manziel, his Heisman chances, and his public perception for you. Pretty clear and wasn't difficult to see from the get-go.

What happens to your guilty until proven innocent attitude if Winston isn't charged? Still going to claim corruption by police? What about if he's charged and found not guilty? Still going to feel the same way? I'd bet on it.

The Heisman really should take a backburner to all this, but it will hurt Winston's chances even if he's innocent. Bad press never helps and a rape accusation is worse than underage partying/drinking.

That being said I honestly believe that even outside the rape case going on if Manziel nails the LSU and Mizzou games it's his.

In the end, though, I hope they find out the truth of the matter. If Winston is innocent I hope he's found so and can continue with his career and life and bring his talented play to the next level, if he's guilty, then I hope he gets nailed.

Stemp
11-22-2013, 03:09 PM

No just pointing out the hypocrisy of many people (not you) who were up in arms over the manziel deal and yet continue to make excuses for Winston. I've seen media members Roast manziel over anonymous accusations and yet refuse to take this accusation which is more serious into consideration.

I don't really care if he gets charged or not but I want them to make a decision and do what needed to be done months ago. I also don't like the fact that FSU fans are going with the strategy of blaming the victim and refusing to believe their hero could possibly do anything wrong

TexansSeminole
11-22-2013, 03:13 PM
No just pointing out the hypocrisy of many people (not you) who were up in arms over the manziel deal and yet continue to make excuses for Winston. I've seen media members Roast manziel over anonymous accusations and yet refuse to take this accusation which is more serious into consideration.

I don't really care if he gets charged or not but I want them to make a decision and do what needed to be done months ago. I also don't like the fact that FSU fans are going with the strategy of blaming the victim and refusing to believe their hero could possibly do anything wrong

The media is doing a fine job of taking it seriously. Not sure what articles you've been reading or which TV reports you've seen, but it's pretty clear that the media is taking it seriously.

FSU fans are giving him the benefit of the doubt, as it's not the first time this kind of thing has happened. There's no harm in passing along reports of people seeing the two around together before and after the incident. Innocent until proven guilty and all that nonsense I guess.

2012Champs
11-22-2013, 03:40 PM

As I read through all of this the thing that kept jumping in my head was exactly as texasseminole pointed out. Your A&M gab. While I dont have a problem with JM nor do I like jumping to conclusions in cases like JW you have to know you are slanted in this somewhat and it is showing

refusing to believe their hero could possibly do anything wrong

Like Johnny?

Stemp
11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
As I read through all of this the thing that kept jumping in my head was exactly as texasseminole pointed out. Your A&M gab. While I dont have a problem with JM nor do I like jumping to conclusions in cases like JW you have to know you are slanted in this somewhat and it is showing

People see what they want to see. Sure, I want Johnny to win another one, but again, I'm more upset about how the TPD treated the girl by stonewalling and burying the investigation and how FSU fans are trying to blame the victim and claim some conspiracy when she did everything you'd expect a victim to do.

Like Johnny?
Now come on. Did he get paid? yeah, it's possible. If so was he the only one?No probably not, even though the media ignored all the other players who had similiar "evidence" against them. And was there any real and credible evidence he got paid? Not really.

Did he get roasted in the media more than Winston is for this alleged sexual assault? Yeah, I'd say so. Manziel was mentioned on all the sports shows multiple times a day and I haven't seen hardly anything about Winston even after the DNA matched. And which do you think is more credible? An anonymous shady memorabilia dealer who refuses to speak on the record or a girl who calls the police after being assaulted and where the police have DNA and physical evidence of the event?

The media made all the crap with Manziel into a big deal for weeks and there was almost nothing to the story. Yet, they are being very careful about reporting the Winston story.

I've even heard a commentator say that Johnny's offseason puts him down in his mind, but that the Winston case has no bearing to him.

Just more media hypocrisy IMO.

steelbtexan
11-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Like Johnny?

What crime has either one of these guys ever been convicted of?

Slanted? Your hatered of Manziel knows no bounds, I'm not speaking for Stemp. But Manziel parties like most 20 yr olds with fame and fortune would and is convicted in the medias court of public opinion.

Winston has yet to have charges brought against him and the media doesn't seem to be treating Winston the same as they have been treatin Manziel.

2012Champs
11-22-2013, 05:29 PM
What crime has either one of these guys ever been convicted of?

Slanted? Your hatered of Manziel knows no bounds, I'm not speaking for Stemp. But Manziel parties like most 20 yr olds with fame and fortune would and is convicted in the medias court of public opinion.

Winston has yet to have charges brought against him and the media doesn't seem to be treating Winston the same as they have been treatin Manziel.

Please point out my hate for Johnny. I bet you can't

bhsman
11-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Honestly Winston, rape allegations aside, is a bit of a personality. I'm sure if had won the Heisman and had to sit in the fishbowl for an offseason he would also become a bit notorious.

TexansSeminole
11-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Apparently this girl was part of a clique within her serority called the FSUcleatchasers. They used the hashtag #FSUcleatchasers, which has since been deleted.

Just want to reiterate that that's a rumor I have heard from several people in Tallahassee.

steelbtexan
11-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Please point out my hate for Johnny. I bet you can't

I'm not going to look thru the Manziel thread and I may be getting you mixed up with Mr. Tex.

I dont like Manziel as a prospect for the Texans. But I do think that some Aggies and the media as a whole have a strong dislike for Manziel. His Oilpatch ways and his brashness on/off the field. People usually hate on wealthy families that are brash/braggers, but can back up their words on the field and in life.

htownfan32
11-23-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm not going to look thru the Manziel thread and I may be getting you mixed up with Mr. Tex.

I dont like Manziel as a prospect for the Texans. But I do think that some Aggies and the media as a whole have a strong dislike for Manziel. His Oilpatch ways and his brashness on/off the field. People usually hate on wealthy families that are brash/braggers, but can back up their words on the field and in life.

I disliked him during the off-season, but now I think that was largely blown out of proportion, and honestly Manziel is focused as hell during the regular season. There's no drunk driving, no irresponsibility, nothing. From September to January the man is a consummate professional.

b0ng
11-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Apparently this girl was part of a clique within her serority called the FSUcleatchasers. They used the hashtag #FSUcleatchasers, which has since been deleted.

Just want to reiterate that that's a rumor I have heard from several people in Tallahassee.

Victim blaming probably isn't the best route here. There might or might not be a case here but "she was asking for it" sounds like Steeler fans defending Roethlisburger.

TexansSeminole
11-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Victim blaming probably isn't the best route here. There might or might not be a case here but "she was asking for it" sounds like Steeler fans defending Roethlisburger.

Passing along rumors is not victim blaming. We have basically no facts in this case. We don't have enough evidence to even say that there was a victim. I don't see a point in going all P.C. with passing along rumors just because a woman is accusing somebody of something. "She was asking for it" assumes there is evidence of wrong doing at our disposal.

I also don't understand the Roethlisberger thing. I didn't follow that case, was the evidence overwhelming or something? He was acquitted, so it seems to me people should be able to come to his defense. Do people not believe in this process?

I look at it like the accuser and accused are on equal grounds when it comes to a he said she said, no evidence situation.

b0ng
11-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Passing along rumors is not victim blaming. We have basically no facts in this case. We don't have enough evidence to even say that there was a victim. I don't see a point in going all P.C. with passing along rumors just because a woman is accusing somebody of something. "She was asking for it" assumes there is evidence of wrong doing at our disposal.

I also don't understand the Roethlisberger thing. I didn't follow that case, was the evidence overwhelming or something? He was acquitted, so it seems to me people should be able to come to his defense. Do people not believe in this process?

I look at it like the accuser and accused are on equal grounds when it comes to a he said she said, no evidence situation.

The Roethlisburger case featured police mishandling all parts of the complaint and Roethlisburger getting the charges dismissed. It was also rumored that there was police and D.A. pressure on the victim to drop the charges.

I find the connection that was implied in the first post I quoted that somehow her creating a hastag of #cleatChasers somehow absolves Jameis of any wrongdoing pretty abhorrent. It's a "rumor" that attempts to paint the female who has hired an attorney to get sexual assault charges pressed on Winston as trashy and deserving of whatever happened and that's pretty gross.

The idea that this sort of "rumor" is any sort of actual relevance to whether Jameis is innocent or guilty is gross and Steeler fans did the exact same thing for months when Ben was charged with his sexual assault case(s).

EDIT: You seem to lack some self-awareness so I'm going to help you out, you might not want to rush to defend a dude on your favorite team who is accused of rape. It's not a great look to start and it's going to look real bad if this gets ugly. You may just want to hold back and wait for some more stuff to come out, maybe.

badboy
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Nope , sex crimes are not a big deal at all , let the police go write traffic citations instead .... :sarcasm:Seriously? You quote a comment from September 9th that was about Winston saying he could be playing for Texas and bring it into the second topic of thread that did not even begin until about a week ago?

The first page & my comment top of page two was about something completely different than the alleged sex crime. Check the time lines and then offer an apology. :cutthroat:

TexansSeminole
11-23-2013, 03:34 PM
The Roethlisburger case featured police mishandling all parts of the complaint and Roethlisburger getting the charges dismissed. It was also rumored that there was police and D.A. pressure on the victim to drop the charges.

I find the connection that was implied in the first post I quoted that somehow her creating a hastag of #cleatChasers somehow absolves Jameis of any wrongdoing pretty abhorrent. It's a "rumor" that attempts to paint the female who has hired an attorney to get sexual assault charges pressed on Winston as trashy and deserving of whatever happened and that's pretty gross.

The idea that this sort of "rumor" is any sort of actual relevance to whether Jameis is innocent or guilty is gross and Steeler fans did the exact same thing for months when Ben was charged with his sexual assault case(s).

EDIT: You seem to lack some self-awareness so I'm going to help you out, you might not want to rush to defend a dude on your favorite team who is accused of rape. It's not a great look to start and it's going to look real bad if this gets ugly. You may just want to hold back and wait for some more stuff to come out, maybe.

The cleat chaser thing was to show that she would know who Winston is and therefore the month that she couldn't identify him would be strange. Cleat chaser assumes you know the top recruit QB on the team. If the girl was indeed a "clear chaser" it doesn't absolve him of anything. Try to follow and connect the dots as to why that would be relevant next time.

And I appreciate the advice but I will continue to post the rumors that are flowing in.

b0ng
11-24-2013, 12:00 AM
The cleat chaser thing was to show that she would know who Winston is and therefore the month that she couldn't identify him would be strange. Cleat chaser assumes you know the top recruit QB on the team. If the girl was indeed a "clear chaser" it doesn't absolve him of anything. Try to follow and connect the dots as to why that would be relevant next time.

And I appreciate the advice but I will continue to post the rumors that are flowing in.

A previous relationship still doesn't mean they he didn't rape this girl. Trying to trivialize a rape case down to he said she said is jut terrible and the all the leaps of faith you want others to make in order to show your guy as the victim is terrible.

If you want to breathlessly report every single thing a crazy FSU fan wants to trot out on the internet to "just get the whole story out there" then whatever. It really makes you look no better than the crazies who are saying any and everything to defend what's looking more and more like a scumbag. Kudos to that or whatever.

2012Champs
11-25-2013, 12:24 PM

It wasnt me. I enjoy watching Manzel and while I see no reason to sign thousands of items without getting paid I couldnt care less about it. He is out of the heisman race for this year so a couple more games and the draft is what we have now

TexansSeminole
12-05-2013, 12:37 PM
ESPN TV reporting that Winston will not be charged.

LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10082441/jameis-winston-not-charged-sexual-assault-investigation)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Nearly one year after Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston was accused of rape by a female FSU student, the state attorney has decided not to charge the Heisman Trophy favorite, a source who helped draft the statement to the media told Jeff Cameron, host of 97.9 ESPN Tallahassee.

Press conference by State Attorney Meggs in 30 minutes.

Jansen and Winston will also be having a press conference.

infantrycak
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Press conference by State Attorney Meggs in 30 minutes

They couldn't come up with an attorney who didn't go to FSU to make this decision/announcement?

Texian
12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
There will be lots of questions. If Winston is having a press conference, very likely no charges being charged.

TexansSeminole
12-05-2013, 12:55 PM
They couldn't come up with an attorney who didn't go to FSU to make this decision/announcement?

He's the top dog and an attention lover. He's charged FSU players before, both winning and losing some.

infantrycak
12-05-2013, 01:00 PM
He's the top dog and an attention lover. He's charged FSU players before, both winning and losing some.

Not accusing him of anything, just pointing out it is going to be questioned.

TexansSeminole
12-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Not accusing him of anything, just pointing out it is going to be questioned.

No doubt it will. I know some people in the State Attorney's office and it is mainly made up of FSU grads from what I have seen. My girlfriend went to FSU law, so I know a bit too many in both the SAO and the PD's office.

Texian
12-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Bret Baier ‏@BretBaier 1m

Florida State QB Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexual assault, the Florida State Attorney’s office says #football #FloridaState

Playoffs
12-05-2013, 01:19 PM
ESPN TV reporting that Winston will not be charged.

Press conference by State Attorney Meggs in 30 minutes.

He's doing a credible job, really answering about specific details... appears to be a measured man. His decision -- based on the questions he's answering/details he's divulging -- seems reasonable to me.

TexansSeminole
12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
He's doing a credible job, really answering about specific details... appears to be a measured man. His decision -- based on the questions he's answering/details he's divulging -- seems reasonable to me.

He's definitely done this before, you can see that. It seems to me that he has relied on others to do most of the work in the case, and now has reviewed all the findings. Could be wrong on that though.

Playoffs
04-16-2014, 09:18 AM
A Star Player Accused, and a Flawed Rape Investigation (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jamies-winston.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid%3D=tw-nytsports&_r=0)
Tallahassee, Fla. — Early on the morning of Dec. 7, 2012, a freshman at Florida State University reported that she had been raped by a stranger somewhere off campus after a night of drinking at a popular Tallahassee bar called Potbelly’s.

As she gave her account to the police, several bruises began to appear, indicating recent trauma. Tests would later find semen on her underwear.

For nearly a year, the events of that evening remained a well-kept secret until the woman’s allegations burst into the open, roiling the university and threatening a prized asset: Jameis Winston, one of the marquee names of college football...
Some disturbing questions raised in this in depth piece.

badboy
04-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Heard part of a comment on radio tonight that police really botched the investigation and it is not over.

TexansSeminole
05-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-dad-wants-fsu-to-provide-constant-handler-051214)

His father, Antonor Winston, told USA Today he's working with the university on how to best manage the attention around his son and would like some form of security and supervision around his son at all times moving forward.

"He's supposed to have somebody around him 24/7," Antonor Winston told USA Today. "He's a Heisman Trophy winner so (he's) definitely not supposed to be by (himself)."

Antonor Winston said the latest incident has made it clear to his son that the spotlight on him is growing only larger, and he hopes it alerts FSU that additional attention is needed.

"We hope so," Antonor Winston said. "Not only him. I think it should show the university and us, I think we probably kind of dropped the ball on that a little bit."

Seriously? I'm starting to dislike this kid. His father basically blames the university for not providing the kid a 24/7 babysitter? How coddled is he? If his father is telling him that these incidents are the university's fault, who is going to stand up and teach the kid a lesson? It's no wonder he keeps getting himself into these little incidents.

If I am Jimbo, I sit him and his father down and I tell him that I will not provide a 24/7 babysitter and that he needs to learn to take responsibility for his own actions. I tell him that FSU strives to teach life lessons and mature its players and that a 24/7 babysitter does the exact opposite. I would even suspend him for a game or two to make the point clear.

If we have to succumb to 24/7 babysitting, I would rather him just leave the team.

Texecutioner
05-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-dad-wants-fsu-to-provide-constant-handler-051214)

Seriously? I'm starting to dislike this kid. His father basically blames the university for not providing the kid a 24/7 babysitter? How coddled is he? If his father is telling him that these incidents are the university's fault, who is going to stand up and teach the kid a lesson? It's no wonder he keeps getting himself into these little incidents.

If I am Jimbo, I sit him and his father down and I tell him that I will not provide a 24/7 babysitter and that he needs to learn to take responsibility for his own actions. I tell him that FSU strives to teach life lessons and mature its players and that a 24/7 babysitter does the exact opposite. I would even suspend him for a game or two to make the point clear.

If we have to succumb to 24/7 babysitting, I would rather him just leave the team.

Preach on brother. Preach on!!

Corrosion
05-12-2014, 01:00 PM
A Star Player Accused, and a Flawed Rape Investigation (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jamies-winston.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid%3D=tw-nytsports&_r=0)

Some disturbing questions raised in this in depth piece.

342 days to acquire his DNA .... and then on Nov14th they finally do get a DNA sample and it matches what was found on the accusers clothes.

Dismissed the case because the complainant was "uncooperative" yet she is still perusing the case.

Maybe her lack of cooperation was in not just going away.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add , more often than not "sexual offenders" don't have just one incident , they have many over a long period of time.
Winston already has at least one other incident .... how many people does he get to hurt on account of a game ....how many victims before the authorities take it seriously ?! How many victims are in his past ??

mussop
05-12-2014, 06:55 PM

What a joke!!! I bet he doesn't make it through the season.

htownfan32
05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
It's a shame, the guy has loads of talent. Hope he matures up quickly and can keep it on the DL during this offseason and onwards. He needs only to look at Manziel to see how a bad offseason can impact your stock and perception.

mussop
05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
It's a shame, the guy has loads of talent. Hope he matures up quickly and can keep it on the DL during this offseason and onwards. He needs only to look at Manziel to see how a bad offseason can impact your stock and perception.

I would say he has already had a very bad offseason. Way worse than the bad one Manziel had.

htownfan32
05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
I would say he has already had a very bad offseason. Way worse than the bad one Manziel had.

Be that as it may, Manziel got more bad press for his bad offseason, I think.

Blake
05-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I thought this guy was the savoir of the 2015 draft class? I assumed we would wait until December to start ripping these QB prospects apart.

badboy
05-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I thought this guy was the savoir of the 2015 draft class? I assumed we would wait until December to start ripping these QB prospects apart.
Why would we ignore possible issues especially those that could lead to prison? Perhaps you were being sarcastic? Besides, what else do we have to discuss?

thunderkyss
05-13-2014, 12:20 AM

After what we just went through & the fact that we didn't draft our QB of the future, I think it's best we start early.

Corrosion
05-13-2014, 12:37 AM
Be that as it may, Manziel got more bad press for his bad offseason, I think.

He didn't have the police & DA's office to cover for him. Manziel did typical college kid sh!t , not sh!t that leads to the cross bar hotel.

What's sad is that even with all these red flags , some team will probably draft him in the top of the 1st round ....

What's unthinkable is that he's free to victimize someone else ....

Trap_Star
05-13-2014, 02:36 AM

everyone keeps crowning Mariota, just wait til they realize how raw of a pro prospect he really is.

Texian
05-13-2014, 08:17 AM
After what we just went through & the fact that we didn't draft our QB of the future, I think it's best we start early.

With the first pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select: Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon.

If it weren't for BAD Luck there would be no luck at all, the Houston Texans win 4 games, pick 4th and miss out on Mariota and Winston.

How's that?

The1ApplePie
05-13-2014, 08:42 AM
With the first pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select: Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon.

If it weren't for BAD Luck there would be no luck at all, the Houston Texans win 4 games, pick 4th and miss out on Mariota and Winston.

How's that?

McNair ain't taking Winston. He wants choir boys, not probable rapists.

rmartin65
05-13-2014, 09:01 AM

How's that?

Missing out on those guys does not really bother me. Hundley will be the best pro out of the three.

BigBull17
05-13-2014, 09:27 AM
McNair would cut off his own arm before he would draft Winston. And thank god for that. I would find it very hard to cheer for a PoS like him.

Texian
05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Missing out on those guys does not really bother me. Hundley will be the best pro out of the three.

Hundley is going to need to step it up if that is going to be the case. Right now his production and stats are trailing Petty, Winston and Mariota and Hundley may be the most raw of the collective bunch.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

rmartin65
05-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Hundley is going to need to step it up if that is going to be the case. Right now his production and stats are trailing Petty, Winston and Mariota and Hundley may be the most raw of the collective bunch.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

You are better than this, Texian. You know not to be a boxscore watcher.

kingtexan
05-13-2014, 12:06 PM
McNair ain't taking Winston. He wants choir boys, not probable rapists.

Agreed. No illiterate rapists on the Texans please ...

Texian
05-13-2014, 12:35 PM
You are better than this, Texian. You know not to be a boxscore watcher.

You've confused me with someone else, I check the player production every week during the season. If you're a .300 hitter you're a .300 hitter. If you can only throw .60% completions, 1 1/2 TDs for every INT, your QB rating will say you're average and ordinary.

thunderkyss
05-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Agreed. No illiterate rapists on the Texans please ...

Agreed.

Mans got to be able to read the play book.

rmartin65
05-13-2014, 02:01 PM
You've confused me with someone else, I check the player production every week during the season. If you're a .300 hitter you're a .300 hitter. If you can only throw .60% completions, 1 1/2 TDs for every INT, your QB rating will say you're average and ordinary.

So you don't take quality of competition into account? Quality of teammates? Scheme-type? Blown assignments?

In short, do you watch games, or do you just look at the boxscores and read what other people say?

Texian
05-13-2014, 02:26 PM
So you don't take quality of competition into account? Quality of teammates? Scheme-type? Blown assignments?

In short, do you watch games, or do you just look at the boxscores and read what other people say?

Oh I do all of the above. That's why I was able able to differentiate and determine Bortles as the only franchise QB in this draft instead of hopping on the Teddy Bridgewater train like so many others. It's the learned ability to think for one's self instead of falling in with the collective group or letting others make up your mind for you. Some folks know how to use use stats and production and some folks don't and will quickly dismiss them as a result. Good luck, I'm sure you're smart enough to figure it out.

rmartin65
05-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Oh I do all of the above. That's why I was able able to differentiate and determine Bortles as the only franchise QB in this draft instead of hopping on the Teddy Bridgewater train like so many others. It's the learned ability to think for one's self instead of falling in with the collective group or letting others make up your mind for you. Some folks know how to use use stats and production and some folks don't and will quickly dismiss them as a result. Good luck, I'm sure you're smart enough to figure it out.

1) It is much too early to be patting yourself on the back for Bortles. Yeah, he was the first QB picked, but so was Gabbert once.

2) I make my own decisions. I thought TB was better than BB because I thought so, not because others did. Furthermore, by the end,I thought Robinson should have been the pick, not TB.

Texian
05-13-2014, 03:23 PM
1) It is much too early to be patting yourself on the back for Bortles. Yeah, he was the first QB picked, but so was Gabbert once.

2) I make my own decisions. I thought TB was better than BB because I thought so, not because others did. Furthermore, by the end,I thought Robinson should have been the pick, not TB.

1. It might have be to early for you but not for me. That's how sure and confident I am of my evaluation. Blaine Gabbert was never the first QB drafted. He was #3 behind Newton and Locker. Like I have tried to explain before, the problem with Gabbert being drafted in the 1st RD has absolutely nothing to do with Gabbert. The problem lies entirely with Jack Del Rio and his very poor evaluation of Gabbert. There was absolutely nothing in Gabbert's college body of work that said, "draft me with the 10th pick in the draft or even the first rd for that matter."

2. Keep digging deeper. If you thought TB was the best QB in this draft you're not digging deep enough. As to your earlier point, everything in his stats and production agree with your decision. When you dig a little deeper, that's not so much the case. Unfortunately, as was the case with so many, Teddy fans didn't want to hear the bad music. They preferred to not listen or just come up with excuses why the music was bad. During the season I noted that TB's 30+ passes had a high trajectory and need a lot of air underneath and his 10-20 yard passes outside the hashes tended to lose their zip. I said at the time that many of those passes would be INTs in the NFL. His Pro Day confirmed both suspicions.

3. I keep saying this time and again, you must find out how a QB performs when the game is on the line and under pressure. Often you have to dig deep to find this information. It's often found in The Box Scores and the drive charts. The info is there if you're willing to do the homework. If a QB has never delivered with a game on the line, take him off your board or move him to day 3. David and Derek Carr and Gabbert never delivered with game on the line. Quinn and Barkley are a few others. They've never been a part of game winning drive. Some have had the negative experience of a failed game winning drive.

rmartin65
05-13-2014, 04:35 PM
1. It might have be to early for you but not for me. That's how sure and confident I am of my evaluation. Blaine Gabbert was never the first QB drafted. He was #3 behind Newton and Locker. Like I have tried to explain before, the problem with Gabbert being drafted in the 1st RD has absolutely nothing to do with Gabbert. The problem lies entirely with Jack Del Rio and his very poor evaluation of Gabbert. There was absolutely nothing in Gabbert's college body of work that said, "draft me with the 10th pick in the draft or even the first rd for that matter."

2. Keep digging deeper. If you thought TB was the best QB in this draft you're not digging deep enough. As to your earlier point, everything in his stats and production agree with your decision. When you dig a little deeper, that's not so much the case. Unfortunately, as was the case with so many, Teddy fans didn't want to hear the bad music. They preferred to not listen or just come up with excuses why the music was bad. During the season I noted that TB's 30+ passes had a high trajectory and need a lot of air underneath and his 10-20 yard passes outside the hashes tended to lose their zip. I said at the time that many of those passes would be INTs in the NFL. His Pro Day confirmed both suspicions.

3. I keep saying this time and again, you must find out how a QB performs when the game is on the line and under pressure. Often you have to dig deep to find this information. It's often found in The Box Scores and the drive charts. The info is there if you're willing to do the homework. If a QB has never delivered with a game on the line, take him off your board or move him to day 3. David and Derek Carr and Gabbert never delivered with game on the line. Quinn and Barkley are a few others. They've never been a part of game winning drive. Some have had the negative experience of a failed game winning drive.

You are right about Gabbert, that was my mistake.

As for Bridgewater bit- we will see in time. I have been wrong before, and I will be wrong many times in the future, I am sure. But right now, my guess is that TB will be the better QB.

I think your "game on the line" scouting to be suspect. But hey, everyone does things differently.

Texian
05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
As for Bridgewater bit- we will see in time. I have been wrong before, and I will be wrong many times in the future, I am sure. But right now, my guess is that TB will be the better QB.

Most important here is to learn from your mistakes, I made my share. I have developed my eval process from mistakes I made. If TB turns out to be a just an average QB or less, will you know why?

TB could be a good QB in WCO as a game manager w/ a game that takes advantages of his strengths and avoids his weaknesses.

If you eliminate all QBs who have not played under pressure or have never produced in pressure situations or game winning drives you can eliminate a lot of not so good QBs. I now you think it suspect but for the future, keep an eye on it.

76Texan
05-17-2014, 06:18 AM
He'sslike Mariota the most.
As I mentioned last year, his stock was rising sharply the more the scouts and "semi" scouts learned more about him.
Granted, he plays in a spread system so we don't know for sure how he will perform under center; however, he possesses all the quality I'm looking for in a QB.
Whether one is a Bill Walsh fan (finesse) or a Jon Madden fan (power), one likes him the same.
Size, arm, feet/footwork, strength, mobility, quikness, release, football IQ, poise.
This guy seems to have eyes in the back of his head and out of his ears.
He always know where his receivers are.
He routinely looks off defenders (look one way, pass the other.)
To me, he's a Wilson in Luck's body.
He's on a different level than Hundley who's still raw in his progression.
Unless Mariota starts doing stupid things like Winston, I believe he (Mariota) will be the first pick next year, and I would hate to see the Titans draft him.

NCTexan
05-17-2014, 08:30 AM
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80225548/

FSU quarterback Jameis Winston has been caught in a big, fat lie and now has serious credibility issues. When he got cited for shoplifting those crab legs from Publix a couple of weeks ago, Winston released a statement through his attorney telling us he went to Publix with the "intent to purchase dinner" but in a moment of "youthful ignorance" he mistakenly walked out of the store without paying for "one of my items."

Doesn't that statement lead you to believe Winston purchased some other items and maybe just forgot to put the crab legs on the checkout counter conveyor belt so the cashier could run them through the scanner?

Um, that's not exactly what happened.

The video from Publix released earlier this week shows Winston not going through the checkout line at all and simply walking out of the store without paying for any of his items. In addition, the police report says he intentionally tried to avoid store security when walking out of the store.

Winston's concocted story turns him from Famous Jameis to Lame-ous Jameis.

And, while we're on the subject, you know what else I'm not buying? I'm not buying FSU football coach Jimbo Fisher's contention that the reason he's not disciplining his quarterback is because Winston has already been suspended from playing in a couple of FSU baseball games.

Puh-leeze.

The reason Jimbo won't suspend Winston for a game is because FSU opens the season with high-powered Oklahoma State. Let's face it, if the Seminoles opened with The Citadel – their Week 2 opponent – Jimbo would be much more likely to try and teach his entitled quarterback a lesson.

beerlover
05-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Most important here is to learn from your mistakes, I made my share. I have developed my eval process from mistakes I made. If TB turns out to be a just an average QB or less, will you know why?

TB could be a good QB in WCO as a game manager w/ a game that takes advantages of his strengths and avoids his weaknesses.

If you eliminate all QBs who have not played under pressure or have never produced in pressure situations or game winning drives you can eliminate a lot of not so good QBs. I now you think it suspect but for the future, keep an eye on it.

sorry for your loss valiant fight never yielding on Bortles. FWIW if not for being drafted by the Jaguars I think his odds of success would have favored him more here if selected. That being said Savage who was selected is in the perfect situation. How do you grade that? His upside & ability to fit exactly what O'Brian wants couldn't have aligned better yet can't say he was the better prospect. Don't have a lot of hope for Bridgewater either winding up in Minnesota. Manziel will probably fare better if they adopt a spread offense but point being each organization will need to adopt to their QB's strength. Tom was, simply put, a system fit without changes required, just a lot of polishing, learning the playbook & continuous reps.

bah007
05-20-2014, 08:04 AM
He'sslike Mariota the most.
As I mentioned last year, his stock was rising sharply the more the scouts and "semi" scouts learned more about him.
Granted, he plays in a spread system so we don't know for sure how he will perform under center; however, he possesses all the quality I'm looking for in a QB.
Whether one is a Bill Walsh fan (finesse) or a Jon Madden fan (power), one likes him the same.
Size, arm, feet/footwork, strength, mobility, quikness, release, football IQ, poise.
This guy seems to have eyes in the back of his head and out of his ears.
He always know where his receivers are.
He routinely looks off defenders (look one way, pass the other.)
To me, he's a Wilson in Luck's body.
He's on a different level than Hundley who's still raw in his progression.
Unless Mariota starts doing stupid things like Winston, I believe he (Mariota) will be the first pick next year, and I would hate to see the Titans draft him.

Just to piggyback off of this, here is a list of QBs for you guys to look out for next season. These are the guys that caught my eye this year. All will be eligible for the draft.

Kevin Hogan, Stanford - SR
Taylor Kelly, Arizona St - SR
Bryce Petty, Baylor - SR
Sean Mannion, Oregon St - SR
Devin Gardner, Michigan - SR
Shane Carden, ECU - SR
Jake Waters, Kansas St - SR

Marcus Mariota, Oregon - JR
Brett Hundley, UCLA - JR
Nate Sudfeld, Indiana - JR
Cody Kessler, USC - JR
Travis Wilson, Utah - JR
Matt Johnson, Bowling Green - JR

Jameis Winston, Florida St - SO

WolverineFan
05-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Just to piggyback off of this, here is a list of QBs for you guys to look out for next season. These are the guys that caught my eye this year. All will be eligible for the draft.

Bryce Petty, Baylor - SR
Shane Carden, ECU - SR

Brett Hundley, UCLA - JR
Cody Kessler, USC - JR
Travis Wilson, Utah - JR

Good stuff. I like a few other guys like Rakeem Cato (Marshall) and Chuckie Keeton (Utah State) but both are severely undersized.

Also, keep an eye out for Marquise Williams from North Carolina. He's raw, but if he has a breakout year like I expect him to then he may declare.

The1ApplePie
05-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Bryce Petty, Baylor - SR
Shane Carden, ECU - SR

Brett Hundley, UCLA - JR
Cody Kessler, USC - JR
Travis Wilson, Utah - JR

Kessler needs to stay in school. Good raw talent, but he needs the seasoning. Otherwise he could have a Sanchez-like flameout.

bah007
05-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Good stuff. I like a few other guys like Rakeem Cato (Marshall) and Chuckie Keeton (Utah State) but both are severely undersized.

Also, keep an eye out for Marquise Williams from North Carolina. He's raw, but if he has a breakout year like I expect him to then he may declare.

I don't see Cato as a NFL prospect. I love Keeton in college but I don't project him too highly for the NFL either.

I almost put Williams on this list but I think he is far too raw to declare early. He needs two more years. Would not be surprised to see him have a great season though.

bah007
05-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Kessler needs to stay in school. Good raw talent, but he needs the seasoning. Otherwise he could have a Sanchez-like flameout.

I agree. At this point, Mariota is the only one of those Juniors I would be comfortable with declaring early. But we still have a whole year for things to change.

NCTexan
05-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Marquise should've been kept in this year against Miami. He was looking so much better than Renner.

BUT I agree with bah007 that he really needs to stay. I wouldn't take him if he declares after this year because I just don't see one year as a starter as enough. I also expect him to do really well this year. The WR core is solid and Tabb, while not Ebron, is still pretty athletic and has good hands. Plus, UNC has an awesome group of RBs.

WolverineFan
05-21-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree. At this point, Mariota is the only one of those Juniors I would be comfortable with declaring early. But we still have a whole year for things to change.

I still have a soft spot for Hundley.

Also really like Taylor Kelly.

WolverineFan
05-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Marquise should've been kept in this year against Miami. He was looking so much better than Renner.

BUT I agree with bah007 that he really needs to stay. I wouldn't take him if he declares after this year because I just don't see one year as a starter as enough. I also expect him to do really well this year. The WR core is solid and Tabb, while not Ebron, is still pretty athletic and has good hands. Plus, UNC has an awesome group of RBs.

It will be his first full year as the starter, but he did start 6 games last year with Renner injured. I do agree though, he's still very raw and should come back. Just saying that I expect him to have a big year and he might decide to come out.

And UNC is loaded at the skill positions. I think they return every WR and 3 out of their top 4 RB's.

bah007
05-21-2014, 11:45 AM
I still have a soft spot for Hundley.

Also really like Taylor Kelly.

I love Hundley as a college QB but I don't think he ends up as a first round pick.

Kelly is underrated. I have him higher than anyone else seems to (at least where I can find rankings online). But it's still early.

mussop
05-21-2014, 10:52 PM
I love Hundley as a college QB but I don't think he ends up as a first round pick.

I'm with you on this one.

beerlover
05-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm with you on this one.

Hundley has sick potential, reminds me of Kaepernick while @ Nevada.

b0ng
05-25-2014, 01:17 AM

I absolutely love watching Keeton highlights (only really heard much about him recently), and I'm excited to watch him play this year.

Uncle Rico
05-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Aaand Bortles Fan Club Member #1 hijacks yet another thread and turns into a ego boosting session. Great.

Jameis Winston is the most gifted QB in college football. Not the smartest however.

Mariota will probably be better than any QB since Luck.

Corrosion
05-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Jameis Winston is the most gifted QB in college football. Not the smartest however.

Dumb as a rock .... probably wont last as long in the league as Jamarcus Russell

Mariota will probably be better than any QB since Luck.

I think both Mariota & Hundley have more potential than those who came out this season or last .... going to be really interesting to see how they develop over the year and if they both leave school.

Playoffs
06-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Rand Getlin @Rand_Getlin
On Winston: sources say players who obtain large insurance policies prior to the season almost always enter the NFL draft at season's end.

Source: #FSU QB and Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston has obtained a $8M-$10M insurance policy. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--fsu-qb-jameis-winston-purchased--8m--10m-insurance-coverage-014958801.html …

badboy
06-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I think like Manziel, Winston's off field stuff (though different) is more of a reason for both to go pro. Manziel will have less chance of discipline in NFL than in college for his decisions and Winston has more of a suggestion of criminal behavior that could impact him so he needs to get to NFL as quick as possible. Good moves for both imo. I do agree that the insurance is a solid indicator of his plans.