PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Rick Smith You Would

DocBar
08-31-2013, 09:41 PM
If you were Rick Smith and fielding phone calls from QB needy teams, what would you do?

Personally, I would keep all three players and shoot to trade Schaub next offseason. He should bring a decent price to a team that needs a good QB and is targeting another position high in the draft. I would hesitate at trading him within the division, but wouldn't rule it out, for the right price.

It seems pretty clear that both Yates and Keenum have a very good grasp of our offense and one of them will be the QB of the future. Both also bring some intangibles that Schaub seems to lack.

So what would you do as GM?

DocBar
08-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Damn...got caught up in the LSU game and forgot to add "keep all three" to the poll. Can a mod help me out there?

Rey
08-31-2013, 09:49 PM
None of the above.

stingray
08-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Why does everyone want to get rid of Schaub? Keenum hasnt even played one down in a real NFL game and schaub is expenable?

ObsiWan
08-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't one's response depend on who was calling and what they offered up?

:)

texasguy346
08-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Damn...got caught up in the LSU game and forgot to add "keep all three" to the poll. Can a mod help me out there?

Should be fixed now.

DocBar
08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't one's response depend on who was calling and what they offered up?

:)Yes and it should be part of your reply....

Would you take a 2nd round pick from Jax or the tAcks? A 3rd from Buffalo or Mario Williams(I couldn't resist)? What would it take for you to make a deal for any of them?

eriadoc
08-31-2013, 09:53 PM
I'd keep all three, and then keep all three. Next year's training camp will really tell the tale. It's great that our backups had a good preseason, and even better that Keenum was one of them. But they haven't done anything spectacular in a real game yet. Schaub gained his trade value as a backup by coming into real games and throwing for a bunch of yards and TDs.

Or, to paraphrase Winston Wolf, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

DocBar
08-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Should be fixed now.Thank you very much.

infantrycak
08-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Should be fixed now.

Seems like draft a future QB should be an option.

DocBar
08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Seems like draft a future QB should be an option.This is supposed to be a fun exercise and you can make any scenario you want.

If a QB you think will be great is coming out in 2015, make the other teams compensation their #1 pick in 2015.

dream_team
08-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Why does everyone want to get rid of Schaub? Keenum hasnt even played one down in a real NFL game and schaub is expenable?

Fans quickly fall in love with players that show flashes, but hasn't really proved anything.

Scooter
08-31-2013, 10:35 PM
i dont think it's the best idea to keep three quarterbacks for several reasons. he's taking a roster spot that could be better used elsewhere, and outside of a very fluke season you're not going to get to #3. if we have an opportunity to trade someone for potential impacts (such as a schaub type deal for 2 seconds), i'd jump on it.

for me yates is the guy we should be shopping. schaub is the man this season and i think keenum has enough talent to play now, and also the highest ceiling later. keenum is my heir apparent. yates falls in the middle, i feel he's going to be a very good but not great quarterback, and would be replacing schaub with young schaub (including the growing pains) if he were to be the keeper.

Norg
08-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Trade Keenum tho no one will trade with us why when they can just wait for us to cut him or put him on the PS then just pick him up off waivers

look I think keenum playe pretty good in the PS but he this is just by the numbers and if they stick with the plan 25 Offesnive players and 25 Defense players and I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot of the #3 qb or 3 Qbs

but lets face it if matt goes down how season is pretty much over unless TJ can pull a brady or Kurt warner but yeahhh....

so I say we try and get him on the PS

DocBar
08-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Why does everyone want to get rid of Schaub? Keenum hasnt even played one down in a real NFL game and schaub is expenable?Because Schaub has failed just about every test for great QB's. He's a good system QB but seems to lack the intangibles that lead teams to greatness. Yates and Keenum appear to show those intangibles. I'd just as soon lose Schaub's salary as keep him after this season. If the Texans can benefit from it, great and wonderful. I definitely like that scenario over Schaub being cut for cap reasons.

That's the gist of this thread. Schaub WILL be gone, for cap reasons. What would you trade him for right now? Yates and Keenum have shown too much to be cast as career backups. Do you strike while the irons hot or do you wait for the inevitable big game, playoff loss to deal Schaub? His value is maximized right now to QB needy teams.

Norg
08-31-2013, 10:39 PM
yeah but if some team offered a #2 for yates I think that's the best u could get

but I would take two #3 I would take that in a heartbeat

TejasTom
08-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Considering lately he is doing better with UDFAs than draft picks, what could they offer?

leebigeztx
08-31-2013, 10:47 PM
I personally dnt think there is a super bowl capable qb on this roster. I used to think schaub value was 3rd 4th rd because he's a system guy,but alex smith got a high 2nd(33rd) so I think schaub could get that. I think they will ride the schaub train till it runs off the tracks. If they wanted to pressure him or have his replacement,they would've drafted one. Maybe a guy who might shake free like cutler or freeman might be an option next yr or so,but we know how loyal kubes is to his vets. I mean how is keo still on the roster?

PapaL
08-31-2013, 10:48 PM
I would trade all 3 for Mark Sanchez straight up. II'd then sign Tim Tebow to a $100M deal and talk Brett Favre out of retirement.

stingray
08-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Because Schaub has failed just about every test for great QB's. He's a good system QB but seems to lack the intangibles that lead teams to greatness. Yates and Keenum appear to show those intangibles. I'd just as soon lose Schaub's salary as keep him after this season. If the Texans can benefit from it, great and wonderful. I definitely like that scenario over Schaub being cut for cap reasons.

That's the gist of this thread. Schaub WILL be gone, for cap reasons. What would you trade him for right now? Yates and Keenum have shown too much to be cast as career backups. Do you strike while the irons hot or do you wait for the inevitable big game, playoff loss to deal Schaub? His value is maximized right now to QB needy teams.

Do you realize how many QB's have looked good in a couple games and then do nothing after that? Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel (Who actually looked good for a whole season). You can't just assume that Keenum or yates will be decent Qb's. You have to see them in real NFL games, and more than a couple.

What if Matt Schaub playes decent the whole year and the Texans go 10-6 and win one playoff game, just like the last two years, do you really think that the Texans front office is going to get rid of Matt and count on an unproven back up?

DocBar
08-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Do you realize how many QB's have looked good in a couple games and then do nothing after that? Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel (Who actually looked good for a whole season). You can't just assume that Keenum or yates will be decent Qb's. You have to see them in real NFL games, and more than a couple.

What if Matt Schaub playes decent the whole year and the Texans go 10-6 and win one playoff game, just like the last two years, do you really think that the Texans front office is going to get rid of Matt and count on an unproven back up?Yes I do realize this. What's your point?

stingray
08-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Yes I do realize this. What's your point?

What's my point? Isn't this thread about this point? Why would the Texans get rid of Matt Schaub if their backups have not proven themselves in real NFL games for an extended period of time?

Corrosion
08-31-2013, 11:11 PM
I'd try to find a way to draft Tajh Boyd .... trade one of Yates or Keenum and let Schaub start another season .....

DocBar
08-31-2013, 11:13 PM
What's my point? Isn't this thread about this point? Why would the Texans get rid of Matt Schaub if there backups have not proven themselves in real NFL games for an extended period of time?Go somewhere and take your own opinion too seriously. This thread was meant to be a fun thread where you could mix and match stuff.

Make a poll decision and a comment or STFU. This is supposed to be fun.

jaayteetx
08-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Some people around here sure have a high opinion of our BACKUP qbs around here. I'm pretty sure most GMs around the league wouldn't entertain the thought of trading anything of any real value for either of our guys and the mere thought of trading Schaub, well, as much as some around here would love it, ain't no way in Hades thats gonna happen either. Fun to think about I suppose.

stingray
08-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Go somewhere and take your own opinion too seriously. This thread was meant to be a fun thread where you could mix and match stuff.

OK, I'll play your game. Let's trade Case Keenum for Aaron Rodgers, Yates for Geno Atkins and Matt Schaub for A.J. Green!!!:bravo:

DocBar
08-31-2013, 11:22 PM
OK, I'll play your game. Let's trade Case Keenum for Aaron Rodgers, Yates for Geno Atkins and Matt Schaub for A.J. Green!!!:bravo:And show your immaturity. Maybe I should have an age or IQ limit on the next poll I decide to do in fun. Have yourself a nice hot cup of STFU.

ChampionTexan
08-31-2013, 11:41 PM
I would trade all 3 for Mark Sanchez straight up. II'd then sign Tim Tebow to a $100M deal and talk Brett Favre out of retirement.

This is almost perfect - you're only missing one thing:

http://www.footballphds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/vince-young-at-the-club.jpg

ArlingtonTexan
08-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Go somewhere and take your own opinion too seriously. This thread was meant to be a fun thread where you could mix and match stuff.

Nothing in the poll nor your first post suggests this was not a normal football discussion thread versus light hearted. Accept that some, if not many people think that the Texans should seriously consider these options. Just as you are free to start this thread, people are free to react to the opinions and information as they want.

PapaL
08-31-2013, 11:54 PM
I'd try to find a way to draft Tajh Boyd .... trade one of Yates or Keenum and let Schaub start another season .....

He really impressed me today. Boyd is a playmaker. Can make all the throws and run. He's 6'1" so that's a bit concerning.

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 12:04 AM

Boyd has tools.

But a funky throwing motion.

paycheck71
09-01-2013, 12:17 AM
If you were Rick Smith and fielding phone calls from QB needy teams, what would you do?

Personally, I would keep all three players and shoot to trade Schaub next offseason. He should bring a decent price to a team that needs a good QB and is targeting another position high in the draft. I would hesitate at trading him within the division, but wouldn't rule it out, for the right price.

It seems pretty clear that both Yates and Keenum have a very good grasp of our offense and one of them will be the QB of the future. Both also bring some intangibles that Schaub seems to lack.

Even if you want to trade Schaub, how many teams will want to take on his contract? His base salaries in 2014-2016 are $10MM/$12.5MM/$14.5MM. He'll have to be willing to renegotiate with the team, but that comes AFTER the trade.

dc_txtech
09-01-2013, 12:26 AM

I kind of agree with you but to be fair, we traded two second round picks for a guy who had only started 2 games in the NFL. His name was Matt Schaub.

Scooter
09-01-2013, 01:25 AM

same could be said for every quarterback entering the NFL. yates has shown well in practice and preseason, and has a playoff win under his belt. i think teams have enough tape to decide whether or not he'd be worth the risk. keenum is more scouting since he hasnt played, and it's a very good looking scouting report because he caught and potentially passed yates.

infantrycak
09-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Even if you want to trade Schaub, how many teams will want to take on his contract? His base salaries in 2014-2016 are $10MM/$12.5MM/$14.5MM. He'll have to be willing to renegotiate with the team, but that comes AFTER the trade.

Well he was 11th in yardage and 9th in QB rating. The question is if he is overpaid for that performance. A big consideration is that the new team would only get his base salaries and not the prorated signing bonus on their cap.

Tony Romo (3/10) - 21.7, 25.3, 15.1
Philip Rivers (17/11) - 15, 15.75, UFA
Carson Palmer (10/16) - 10, 12, UFA
Joe Flacco (14/12) - 14.8, 14.4, 28.8
Sam Bradford (15/18) - 17.6, 16.6, UFA
Ben Roethlisberger (21/7) - 17.9, 7, UFA

Schaub has no reason to renegotiate other than as a tactic to exert influence on his destination. He is not overpaid compared to his peers.

On the poll - I voted keep all three. I would have voted trade Yates if we could get a 3rd but I don't think we can.

Norg
09-01-2013, 03:48 AM
if scahub does not make it to the AFC champ game this year and play well or get the #1 seed I will deff be on the trade matt for whatever we can get boat

if he cant do it he cant do i just cut ties and move on

LikeMike
09-01-2013, 06:16 AM
If we get a "real" offer for Case or Yates I would take it. That means it would have to at least be a mid rounder... and I don`t expect that to happen, so Id go with all 3. Don`t trade Schaub. We are too close to contending for rebuilding and neither Case nor Yates are at Schaubs level yet (and probably never will be).

Lucky
09-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Reality check: Yates nor Keenum will attract a high draft pick at this point. Schaub's contract is untradeable. Even if a team would trade for Schaub, the cap hit the Texans would take would require additional players to be cut to get under the cap.

This thread would make more sense next offseason.

AngryNateFTW
09-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Trade the Schwabie!!!

badboy
09-01-2013, 08:54 AM
It is funny how some of us make fun of others opinion then assume their opinion is correct. As to the topic I discussed this a few weeks ago in my 2014 mock. As of now, I would trade Yates who offer a young player with some NFL game experience for a high 3rd or up. He has two seasons left on a very low contract. As I think Texans are going to S.B. this season, I keep Schaub 2013 and probably 2014 due to cap hit.

This scenario allows us to keep a steady (if not great) QB starting, brings a significant pick and allows Keenum two more seasons under MS '13 & '14. As 2014 draft should be deep, I'd go for McCarron & if not there Fales #32.

thunderkyss
09-01-2013, 10:33 AM
If I'm Rick Smith, I'm hoping Schaub takes us to & wins a Super Bowl. I believe he is capable. However, he is getting up there in age. While he is younger than Peyton Manning & Tom Brady, he's not as good as they are either.

So my eye is on the future & I've got my eye on Tj Yates & Case Keenum. Tj is very similar to Schaub. I believe he is capable, I believe he is smart, I believe he is mentally tough.

Case is something different all together. He is nothing like Schaub, he is nothing like Tj. He is something "special"

If my receivers can prove to be reliable, my receivers being Andre, DeAndre, Posey... then I'd request Gary make Keenum the back-up. If my reliable receivers are Andre, OD, Foster I'd prefer Tj remain the back-up.

Either way, if Matt is for whatever reason not available for a game, the backup will go in & make his case for a starting job. He's got to play at least to the standards set by Matt Schaub; ~93 QBR, ~ 8 yards/attempt, 60+ completion percentage, to remain in our "future QB" discussion. But Schaub will get his job back if he's able.

If they play at a level way above Matt Schaub's, then Gary, Cal, & I will have to talk about the future of our team now.

If we decide that Matt Schaub is not the future of the Texans, most likely teams will wait for us to cut him at the end of the season, but I will have my feelers out & get what I can for him.

The other two will stay on as my QBs in the future.

Rey
09-01-2013, 11:07 AM
If I was Rick smith I'd be doing the same things he's done because I'd be him. If I were GM I wouldn't have extended Schaub. I'd have let him play out his last year. Maybe he'd have found an extra edge being on a one year deal. Maybe he wouldn't throw the ball away against the pats with no one around him. Sometimes it's good to make guys uncomfortable. Make them sweat. Put them under pressure and its either perform or move on.

If he'd have finished like he did last year it'd have been time to move on or id sign him for a one year deal if he wanted it. I'd have taken a qb in the draft in a mid or late round, given a vet qb or two a call to join the team if schaub didnt want the one year deal and out of keenum, Yates, rookie, and vet(s)/schaub I would have a true open qb competition. That means that everyone gets a chance to run with the first team O.

But since we didn't do that, what I'd do right now is let the season play out as is. But I'd make it clear to Schaub that this is it. There should be a few good QB's in the draft next year. Falter down the stretch again or have a sub par year or not raise your game and you're gone. Do with it what you will but its now or never.

BullBlitz
09-01-2013, 11:39 AM

I would avoid trading a QB that has proven he can play in the NFL in order to bet on two guys who haven't.

The Pencil Neck
09-01-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm fine with exactly how this has played out.

I believe Schaub is good enough to win a SB. If I'm the GM, I'm giving him 2 years to do it.

I've got 2 young players who I think we can win with if Schaub goes down. But I don't think either of them are better than Schaub and I don't think either of them is the future -- although it would be nice if one of them stepped up into that role.

Next year, I identify and draft Schaub's successor assuming I don't have other glaring needs I need to fill first.

This year is all Schaub's. Next year, Schaub is penciled in as the #1 but I'm hoping the guy I drafted outplays him. And by 2015, I expect the guy I drafted to take over... unless Schaub actually does win a SB.

If Schaub wins a SB this year, then I probably don't draft his replacement in 2014 but I do in 2015 and go with 3 years of Schaub.

thunderkyss
09-01-2013, 11:48 AM
I would avoid trading a QB that has proven he can play in the NFL in order to bet on two guys who haven't.

Whoa.... interesting opinion from the king of Schaub Haters.

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I would hold onto all 3 because I believe Schaub is damaged goods and wont make it through the entire season. Keenum would be my QB2.

I definitely would have to consider a trade if a 2nd or high 3rd rd pick were offered. But at the end of the day playing it safe and keeping all 3 is the way to go. IMHO

Unless Gary has a very high opinion of McGhee.

TheMatrix31
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Bowl Contenders don't trade their starting quarterbacks.

RCPM
09-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I would trade Yates, he has more value than Case. Free up that roster spot.

DX-TEX
09-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Trade all 3 of them for a **** ton of picks and bring in VY!

Am I doing it right?

ObsiWan
09-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Trade all 3 of them for a **** ton of picks and bring in VY!

Am I doing it right?

ummm... no.

back off the happy pills and try again
:kitten:

Corrosion
09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Unless Gary has a very high opinion of McGhee.

McGhee was nothing more than a camp body ....

Super Bowl Contenders don't trade their starting quarterbacks.

I don't necessarily disagree with this statement , but I believe the Texans chances of advancing in the playoffs beyond the wildcard game are slim and none (and slim just left the building) if Yates or Keenum is forced to start.

I just don't see them beating the elite teams without Schaub (This Season).

Norg
09-02-2013, 11:41 AM
ok we kept all the 3 well at least if matt goes down "knocks on wood"

Our season isn't over we got two soild backups

maybe if we blow some teams out Kubes will FInally give matt some rest in the 4th qtr there is no need for matt to play all 60 mins when its trash time and Kubes knows It !!!!

Trail.Blazr
09-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Keep all 3. RIGHT NOW, Schaub is our best option and I want 2 backups, not convinced Schaub can last a full season under center. He can, but not convinced he will.

drs23
09-03-2013, 10:34 AM
...do exactly what he did.

disaacks3
09-03-2013, 11:01 AM

What if Matt Schaub playes decent the whole year and the Texans go 10-6 and win one playoff game, just like the last two years, do you really think that the Texans front office is going to get rid of Matt and count on an unproven back up?

His worst TD/Int ratio since 2008? His lowest YPG in a full season avg...ever?
1 TD, 3 picks last 4 weeks of regular season with homefield advantage on the line?

If he tanks late season again, don't be shocked if the F.O. is interested in dealing.

I'm far from a Schaub "hater", and I think he's better than folks give him credit for (Top 8), but that kind of collapse can't keep happening.

DocBar
09-04-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm fine with exactly how this has played out.

I believe Schaub is good enough to win a SB. If I'm the GM, I'm giving him 2 years to do it.

I've got 2 young players who I think we can win with if Schaub goes down. But I don't think either of them are better than Schaub and I don't think either of them is the future -- although it would be nice if one of them stepped up into that role.

Next year, I identify and draft Schaub's successor assuming I don't have other glaring needs I need to fill first.

This year is all Schaub's. Next year, Schaub is penciled in as the #1 but I'm hoping the guy I drafted outplays him. And by 2015, I expect the guy I drafted to take over... unless Schaub actually does win a SB.

If Schaub wins a SB this year, then I probably don't draft his replacement in 2014 but I do in 2015 and go with 3 years of Schaub.I can see this.

Super Bowl Contenders don't trade their starting quarterbacks.Maybe not trade, but switching starters or having starters injured is more common. Imagine Yates now VS. Yates in 2011. We're going to the AFCCG at a minimum.

I would trade Yates, he has more value than Case. Free up that roster spot.I agree with this statement. Yates has proven himself in NFL games.

Corrosion
09-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I think the big question is "How much longer can Schaub play at his current level" (which is good enough if everything else falls into place).

When does his play drop off and we are forced to move on ....

I really don't know the answer to that question , I'd like to think we can get at least this year and next out of him .... but beyond that , I think is highly questionable.

Then there's how you go about replacing the guy .... Draft ?!? Trade ?!! FA ?!!!

Im kinda hoping that they do what the Packers did with Favre & Rodgers a few years back .... draft a guy with talent / tools with a premium pick and let him hold a clipboard for a season ... then if he's ready , make the move.

JCTexan
09-05-2013, 12:11 AM
I can see this.

Maybe not trade, but switching starters or having starters injured is more common. Imagine Yates now VS. Yates in 2011. We're going to the AFCCG at a minimum.

I agree with this statement. Yates has proven himself in NFL games.

I don't agree. The 2011 Yates didn't set the league on fire with his play. The Texans only went 3-3 down the stretch with Yates at the helm and he put up pedestrian to terrible numbers in the playoffs.

infantrycak
09-05-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't agree. The 2011 Yates didn't set the league on fire with his play. The Texans only went 3-3 down the stretch with Yates at the helm and he put up pedestrian to terrible numbers in the playoffs.

That's generous - 2-3 would be more accurate. 17 of 20 pts were put up with Leinart in the Jax game then after Leinart got hurt on the next series TJ got the ball at the Jax 45 to get the last 3 pts (which weren't necessary since Jax only had 13 pts on the day).

DX-TEX
09-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Where is "Bring Luck home in 3 years when he is a FA"?

Corrosion
09-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Where is "Bring Luck home in 3 years when he is a FA"?

Even if Luck were open to that , they Dolts could just franchise him .... one , two , three times. Now we're 6 years down the line .... I'd like to believe the team has found its next QB long before we reach that point.

thunderkyss
09-05-2013, 06:31 AM

If I see a QB that makes my mouth water...... I do this, otherwise I pass. Regardless what Schaub does, short of winning a Super Bowl. & I mean if we win because of the defense, or Arian & Schaub is along for the ride, I'm looking for that special QB.

If Schaub steps it up in the play-offs & is in the running for Super Bowl MVP, then I'll plan for Schaub to be my QB for the near future & I'm not too worried about the position.

We found Schaub on someone else's roster & despite his limitations got pretty good production out of him. No doubt in my mind Kubiak can get similar production out of Yates or Keenum, provided they're mentally tough enough to play the position in the NFL.

I don't think we can win the Super Bowl with just anybody so I'm not going to force myself to identify that guy in next years draft, or the draft after. I'm going to put together a winning ball club & gather the resources needed to move around in the draft & get the players I want, including that special QB whenever he may come along.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Even if Luck were open to that , they Dolts could just franchise him .... one , two , three times. Now we're 6 years down the line .... I'd like to believe the team has found its next QB long before we reach that point.

And you're leaving out the 5th year team option that exists for all first round draft picks now.

badboy
09-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Where is "Bring Luck home in 3 years when he is a FA"?Off the table where it belongs, lol. We need to reduce our salary cap not add many millions to it when we can probably "grow" our own Luck. Surely you have heard the old "make your own luck" saying? :goodluck:

Texian
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I think Rick Smith will continue to do, as he always has done since his first day and first step in to Reliant Stadium and that is to do exactly what Gary Kubiak and Bob McNair ask him to do.

steelbtexan
09-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I think Rick Smith will continue to do, as he always has done since his first day and first step in to Reliant Stadium and that is to do exactly what Gary Kubiak and Bob McNair ask him to do.

^^^^
This

Except he's beholden to McNair before Gary.

You can tell this in the way he tried to distace himself from Gary after the teams crappy 2010 season.

keyser
09-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Here are my thoughts:
1) I'm not trading Schaub barring some ridiculous offer that we won't be getting - I think he offers us our best chance to win this year.

2a) If there were a player offered that would fix one of our weak spots immediately, I would probably make the trade for either Yates or Keenum. I don't follow the entire NFL well enough to know who this could be. I'd be looking for a clear come-in-and-start-today player (we won't be getting any superstars this way, obviously), not backup depth or someone roughly equivalent to what we have now. Basically something that'll improve our chances now.

2b) If we're talking draft picks, at this point in time it would take a really good offer for me to trade either Yates or Keenum. I'd be looking for something around the level we paid for Schaub: a low 1st or two 2nds. I think too much less than that (e.g. a single 2nd) is lower than I want.*

3) If I got such an offer, and had to choose between Yates and Keenum, I'd probably trade Yates first, though it's a tough call. I think Yates would have a higher trade value at this point: his experience from 2 years ago coupled with a good preseason means people should be willing to give more for him. I don't see Keenum as a big dropoff from Yates, and I think Keenum might have more long-term potential. I don't see Yates ever becoming more than a good backup, but Keenum could be.

*That's not to say that they are actually "worth" that much - it's just that I'd need that to want to get rid of one. Actual "market" worth is probably closer to a 2nd-3rd round pick for Yates (due to his experience, and even residual draft status), and a bit lower for Keenum, but I wouldn't be happy if that's all we got.

DX-TEX
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM

And you're leaving out the 5th year team option that exists for all first round draft picks now.

Off the table where it belongs, lol. We need to reduce our salary cap not add many millions to it when we can probably "grow" our own Luck. Surely you have heard the old "make your own luck" saying? :goodluck:

Negative nancies!

Corrosion
09-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Negative nancies!

Not at all , just being realistic .... The Dolts have the option of a 5th year on the rookie deal and the use of the franchise tag up to three times. That puts us seven years removed from today.

I don't care to wait that long for a solid replacement to the Statue of Schaub.

Don't get me wrong , I wouldn't complain about Luck being the QB of this team .... Just don't think it has a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

ArlingtonTexan
09-05-2013, 03:00 PM
^^^^
This

Except he's beholden to McNair before Gary.

You can tell this in the way he tried to distace himself from Gary after the teams crappy 2010 season.

or that he rarely let's McNair get more than an arm's length away from him during the games:runaway: