PDA

View Full Version : AJ McCarron

Pages : [1] 2

rmartin65
08-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Who else is watching this kid and thinking "please let him fall to the Texans next year"?

The kid might be better than Schaub is right now.

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 06:11 PM
He's not better than Schaub right now, but I like him...he's got the right mix of tools and he's definitely coachable. He looks natural coming off the bootleg.....the fact that his girlfriend is hot doesn't hurt either...lol.

76Texan
08-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Bring her GF in for a cheerleader try-out.
Leave McCarron back in the wood.
The Texans don't need him. :kitten:

rmartin65
08-31-2013, 06:33 PM
The Texans don't need him. :kitten:

I see where you are going with this, and we are going to have to disagree pretty vehemently. A gentleman's bet on who has the better NFL career between the two (Keenum and McCarron)?

infantrycak
08-31-2013, 06:49 PM
He's too sexy for his shirt, too sexy for his shirt, so sexy it hurts...

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/aj-mccarron-chest-tattoo-new.jpg

thunderkyss
08-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Who else is watching this kid and thinking "please let him fall to the Texans next year"?

We'd be better off hoping the Texans acquire the ammunition to move up to get him if he's looking as good as you think.... or hope he suffers a shoulder injury, ala Schaub, & tumbles through the draft but still capable of throwing 500 or so times a year.

PapaL
08-31-2013, 08:56 PM

The kid might be better than Schaub is right now.

Easily the most ridiculous post of the day.

rmartin65
08-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Easily the most ridiculous post of the day.

Glad I could amuse. He is not having a great game tonight, but I stand by what I said- I want the Texans to draft McCarron, and I think that he may be better today than Schaub is. However, I would still haev Schaub as the starter for the 2014/15 season, as Schaub has a mastery of the playbook.

eriadoc
08-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Pass. I've watched probably 75% of his games since he's been a starter. No thanks.

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't know about him ever since he pushed his center in a game . That and he hangs out with Manziel make me wonder .

Corrosion
09-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Pass. I've watched probably 75% of his games since he's been a starter. No thanks.

I don't want him either .... He's a product of the talent around him IMO.

I'd rather take a flyer on a guy like Clemson's Tajh Boyd.

76Texan
09-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I see where you are going with this, and we are going to have to disagree pretty vehemently. A gentleman's bet on who has the better NFL career between the two (Keenum and McCarron)?

I still need to watch some more of McCarron to see how much he can improve this season.

badboy
09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I am a big fan but think he might be gone before Texans first pick and I would not trade up significantly to get him. Currently ranked #47 so he could be there. He does everything well and the only thing Schaub has on him is NFL experience. That is a lot but look what we are saying about Keenum. Sit McCarron or Fales behind MS for 2014 season and then watch him battle Keenum for starter. Also an advantage to having a #1 QB pick is both Yates and Case are up for new contracts in 2015 and McCarron could be a leverage.

76Texan
09-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I am a big fan but think he might be gone before Texans first pick and I would not trade up significantly to get him. Currently ranked #47 so he could be there. He does everything well and the only thing Schaub has on him is NFL experience. That is a lot but look what we are saying about Keenum. Sit McCarron or Fales behind MS for 2014 season and then watch him battle Keenum for starter. Also an advantage to having a #1 QB pick is both Yates and Case are up for new contracts in 2015 and McCarron could be a leverage.

Who was the impostor that played QB for the Tides against the Hokies?
I wonder if the "minor" surgery in the off-season affects McCarron.
I didn't like his play at all.
Happy feet, poor pocket presence, holding on to the ball too long, walking right into pressure, failing to recognize blitzes (except for a couple of times when he went quickly downfield - once for a TD, and once when he overthrew the receiver), throwing from his back foot - mainly 'cause he waited a hair too long. He needs to get out of that funk or the Aggies will have a win.

On a side note, the Texans have an option year with Keenum that will make him an ERFA in 2015. They can have him back for cheap.

rmartin65
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Who was the impostor that played QB for the Tides against the Hokies?
I wonder if the "minor" surgery in the off-season affects McCarron.
I didn't like his play at all.
Happy feet, poor pocket presence, holding on to the ball too long, walking right into pressure, failing to recognize blitzes (except for a couple of times when he went quickly downfield - once for a TD, and once when he overthrew the receiver), throwing from his back foot - mainly 'cause he waited a hair too long. He needs to get out of that funk or the Aggies will have a win.

Yeah, I agree to all of this. I jinxed the guy pretty good- I started this thread after one or two drives. Almost immediately afterwards, he looked like crap.

bb- What the Texans do at the draft will tell us what they think of Yates' and Keenum's potential. If they draft a QB high (first 2 rounds), it says that they are not sold. If not, then they must like the two young guys.

eriadoc
09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I agree to all of this. I jinxed the guy pretty good- I started this thread after one or two drives. Almost immediately afterwards, he looked like crap.

McCarron's never impressed me. The guy plays behind one of the top 3 or 4 OLs in the NCAA, always has a great running game, and his games are usually meh. He pops up a good one every now and again, but he just doesn't impress me across the board.

I'd love for the Texans to grab a bona fide successor to Schaub, but I just don't see it happening this year. If it does, I don't want it to be McCarron.

rmartin65
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
McCarron's never impressed me. The guy plays behind one of the top 3 or 4 OLs in the NCAA, always has a great running game, and his games are usually meh. He pops up a good one every now and again, but he just doesn't impress me across the board.

I see it differently than you do- I see him as a great player playing alongside a great team. But hey, that's what makes talking about this stuff great- the difference of opinions.

Rey
09-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I like mccaron. Good mobility, good arm, finds the open man, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, plays some of the top competition in the country...I've never seen him look too rattled.

Plus I think he has a grittiness about himself.

I would definitely take qb in this coming draft. Seems like the perfect time to do it.

badboy
09-05-2013, 12:12 PM

bb- What the Texans do at the draft will tell us what they think of Yates' and Keenum's potential. If they draft a QB high (first 2 rounds), it says that they are not sold. If not, then they must like the two young guys.

Yep you & I are on same page. I would not be surprised to see Yates & Keenum in some order BUT Yates may get offer to start elsewhere if it appears Case will start in Houston. As I think Fales and McCarron could be starters NFL and I think Schaub will be gone, I have to draft QB '14. Aj did have a not so good game but we will see how he corrects.

76Texan
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I like mccaron. Good mobility, good arm, finds the open man, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, plays some of the top competition in the country...I've never seen him look too rattled.

Plus I think he has a grittiness about himself.

I would definitely take qb in this coming draft. Seems like the perfect time to do it.

But he was rattled by the Hokies, Rey.
If the ST and the defense didn't give him 21 points, it could have been a total different story.

On the other hand, Saban kinda handcuff him, I think !?!

76Texan
09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
So right now we have 4 QB candidates right?
Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron, and Fales.
I have no idea where to rank them yet, even though I've seen them all (between eight to twelve games.)

badboy
09-06-2013, 12:12 PM
So right now we have 4 QB candidates right?
Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron, and Fales.
I have no idea where to rank them yet, even though I've seen them all (between eight to twelve games.)Some would add Stephen Morris to that group. I have not evaluated him yet.

08/30/2013 - MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER: QB Stephen Morris moves into his second year as the full-time starter after throwing for 3,345 yards and 21 touchdowns as a junior in 2012. He had huge games against North Carolina State, throwing for an ACC-record 566 yards, and Georgia Tech (436 yards passing) and is the unquestioned leader of an offense that looks to be among the best in the ACC this fall - The Sports Xchange

•More Stephen Morris News
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737635/stephen-morris

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501142/stephen-morris

"[The offense] is fun to play in," said Morris, who finished fourth in the ACC last season, averaging 279 passing yards per game. "The opportunity guys have to catch the ball and run with it, spread it out, go in the pro-set and run the ball -- it pleases the offensive line, the running backs, the receivers. We'll be in Wing one set, completely spread out the next. I'm excited for it. He's implemented his own stuff that he had before, and I think it's a great fit for us." http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/fsu/post/_/id/9170/fsu-notes-coley-at-home-in-miami

rmartin65
09-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Yesterday's game showed the McCarron I saw last year. Glad to see he bounced back from his shaky week 1 performance.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
09-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Derek Carr anyone?

76Texan
09-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Derek Carr anyone?

I'm not writing him off.
I think his dealing with his brother's fall-out makes him stronger.

beerlover
09-21-2013, 02:06 AM
I think we're all adults here, for the most part, that we can all agree Kubiak is the one who would sign off, if that where the case. AJ embodies everything Gary values, both on & off the field. That goes a long way despite what ANY OF US MAY FEEL regarding his transition to next level. I think in that sense he would fit like a glove in this offense & would benefit a couple years because Matt is going NOWHERE SOON.

He is fundamentally sound, can take snaps under center, runs the bootleg, intelligent reads through his progressions, decent pocket awareness, lacks a strong arm but seems to release the ball well with good accuracy. Texans also like coach Sabin coaching & teaching his young player to develop leadership & character like professionals, that's why year in & year out Alabama has the one of if not the top recruiting classes in the country.

I will sign off with rmartin65 & badboy that AJ MCCarron is a very legitimate first round target in the 2014 draft for the Texans.

steelbtexan
09-21-2013, 02:19 AM
I think we're all adults here, for the most part, that we can all agree Kubiak is the one who would sign off, if that where the case. AJ embodies everything Gary values, both on & off the field. That goes a long way despite what ANY OF US MAY FEEL regarding his transition to next level. I think in that sense he would fit like a glove in this offense & would benefit a couple years because Matt is going NOWHERE SOON.

He is fundamentally sound, can take snaps under center, runs the bootleg, intelligent reads through his progressions, decent pocket awareness, lacks a strong arm but seems to release the ball well with good accuracy. Texans also like coach Sabin coaching & teaching his young player to develop leadership & character like professionals, that's why year in & year out Alabama has the one of if not the top recruiting classes in the country.

I will sign off with rmartin65 & badboy that AJ MCCarron is a very legitimate first round target in the 2014 draft for the Texans.

I could see McCarron being the Texans 1st rd pick next yr. Especially if Schaub's foot gives him problems this yr. McCarron can make all of the throws.

Saban is a great HC, but you give him too much credit on the character thingy. (ReLondo McClain sp?)

beerlover
09-21-2013, 02:40 AM
I could see McCarron being the Texans 1st rd pick next yr. Especially if Schaub's foot gives him problems this yr. McCarron can make all of the throws.

Saban is a great HC, but you give him too much credit on the character thingy. (ReLondo McClain sp?)

lol SB. That's what he sells as part of his program there are always going to be exceptions, drop outs or busts (NFL).

76Texan
09-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I heard that Hundley (UCLA) and Mariota (Oregon) may enter the draft as redshirted Sophomore.

Some have them leapfrogging all the QB prospect except for Bridgewater.

Whatcha think?

Texian
09-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I heard that Hundley (UCLA) and Mariota (Oregon) may enter the draft as redshirted Sophomore.

Whatcha think?

Basic rule of thumb is those QBs who stay in school do better at the next level. Can't say I disagree with that thinking. Today, right now Tajh Boyd would be my choice for #1 QB in the 2014 draft.

b0ng
09-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Whatcha think?

That's a stacked QB class so you have to think that a few of these guys are going back for senior (or junior in some cases) years. Haven't seen Hundley play but I know that Mariota is probably going to be highly thought of due to how well RG3, Wilson and Newton all did their rookie years.

But yeah I like a lot of QB's out of this class:

Bridgewater
Manziel (Although I can see why people wouldn't like him currently)
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray
hell even Mettenberger at LSU looks pretty good.

Haven't seen Hundley, and I don't know what to think of Mariota really since he would take a lot more attention to detail to get an idea of what his NFL look might be.

beerlover
10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
That's a stacked QB class so you have to think that a few of these guys are going back for senior (or junior in some cases) years. Haven't seen Hundley play but I know that Mariota is probably going to be highly thought of due to how well RG3, Wilson and Newton all did their rookie years.

Bridgewater
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray

Haven't seen Hundley, and I don't know what to think of Mariota really since he would take a lot more attention to detail to get an idea of what his NFL look might be.

I expect Hundley & Mariota to stay in school one more year. Who knows about Manziel he is bit of a maverick. Bridgewater is impressive throwing the ball but not so sure about his decision making. Boyd is polished, physical & highly competitive, I really like him. McCarron is a plug & play QB for Kubiak system. No opinion on Fales, both hot & cold. Murray is next Drew Brees, great leadership, accurate throws both short & deep. Mettenberger reminds me of a young Jim Harbaugh, tough, stands tall in the pocket in face of pass rush, captain comeback ability, strong arm.

Several to choose from if Texans don't take the BQBA I'll quit following them until Kubiak is gone.

badboy
10-01-2013, 10:40 AM
I expect Hundley & Mariota to stay in school one more year. Who knows about Manziel he is bit of a maverick. Bridgewater is impressive throwing the ball but not so sure about his decision making. Boyd is polished, physical & highly competitive, I really like him. McCarron is a plug & play QB for Kubiak system. No opinion on Fales, both hot & cold. Murray is next Drew Brees, great leadership, accurate throws both short & deep. Mettenberger reminds me of a young Jim Harbaugh, tough, stands tall in the pocket in face of pass rush, captain comeback ability, strong arm.

Several to choose from if Texans don't take the BQBA I'll quit following them until Kubiak is gone.

Beerlover "the scout". We again agree on evaluation. Manziel is a fascinating prospect that I would select if I had a complete team and could gamble with a first round. We with this team cannot afford to "miss" on any first rounder. My concern is that we will have another KJ incident meaning that we needed a corner who could step in year one and be effective. KJ was considered "pro" ready and then took 3 years. That was the complaint I had then as many on MB should recall. We are in a unique position with QB that we can keep Shaub thru 2014 & allow whomever to sit and learn. I would not scream if we took Manziel but if McCarron is sitting there, he is more pro ready.

As we discussed pm, I am starting to change on selecting a QB as I think MS is going nowhere so I will not mock a QB at this time.

steelbtexan
10-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Bridgewater
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray

Here's how I would rank those QB's as related to the Texans QB needs
1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Manziel, the ultimate wildcard, he could end up #1 in this class. If you like Boyd you should love Manziel.
5. Murray
6. Boyd, I dont like his throwing motion and decision making, he runs too hot and cold for my taste
7. Fales, I've only seen him play last wk and wasn't impressed

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 11:44 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/Thunderkyss/mindtricks_zps212d95f8.jpg

eriadoc
10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Here's how I would rank those QB's as related to the Texans QB needs
1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Manziel, the ultimate wildcard, he could end up #1 in this class. If you like Boyd you should love Manziel.
5. Murray
6. Boyd, I dont like his throwing motion and decision making, he runs too hot and cold for my taste
7. Fales, I've only seen him play last wk and wasn't impressed

Flip McCarron and Murray and I largely agree with this list. I have watched almost every game McCarron has played. He has just never impressed me. I do not see him being anything special at the pro level. Murray is going to be considered less of a pro prospect just because of his height, but the guy can sling it. He may bust out as well, but I think he has a higher potential than McCarron. And let's face it, if you're drafting a QB early, so you really want another Matt Schaub? Or do you want a guy who might be better?

Texian
11-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Tonight Bama & A J McCarron take on LSU and Zack Mettenberger. While a big majority of the talking heads and draftniks say McCarron is a 3rd RD draft pick, I predict A J McCarron will be on many NFL teams 1st RD draft board. In fact if the Texans do go with a QB in Rd 1 there is a good chance McCarron could be Houston Texans if they don't go with Johnny Football.

McCarron has a many similarities that remind me of Joe Montana while at Notre Dame, cool, calm, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, relishes the opportunity to come from behind and likes to take care of business with last possession game winning drives. And like Montana, all McCarron does is WIN!

badboy
11-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Well you won't get much support for that POV here but it would not surprise me. I had him in third on my mock but don't see him getting out of second. I am ok with that as I am no longer picking QB until late to back up Keenum. He is as good as any QB I've watched this season if you take Maziel's charisma and football magic out of it.

Playoffs
11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101718

badboy
11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Alabama versus Auburn: McCarron under pressure drops a 20 yard TD pass over two defenders. Great pocket and what Texans have to build no matter who is QB.

9 of 13 85 yards 2 TDs no INTs.

Wolf6151
12-01-2013, 02:10 AM
McCarron finished tonight game against Auburn, great game by the way.

17 of 29, 277 yds., 3 TD's and 0 Int's.

For the season he's 190 of 277, 2399 yds., 68.6% Comp., 23 TD's and 5 Int's.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Interesting tidbit that I realized tonight....McCarron won just 1 conference championship during his 4 years.

Would think he won more with the way Bama has dominated college football recently.

steelbtexan
12-01-2013, 09:46 AM
McCarron finished tonight game against Auburn, great game by the way.

17 of 29, 277 yds., 3 TD's and 0 Int's.

For the season he's 190 of 277, 2399 yds., 68.6% Comp., 23 TD's and 5 Int's.

Yep,

He also played well under pressure from a ferocious Auburn defense.

TexansSeminole
12-01-2013, 10:03 AM
I liked what I saw last night for a late 2nd, maybe 3rd rounder. He had one poor pass that I saw. That deep pass to Cooper was also kind of floaty, but it got the job done. Something I like about him is that he appears calm throughout the entire game.

Honoring Earl 34
12-01-2013, 10:55 AM
To me , AJ has an average arm at best . Team that with average mobility and you have an average at best skill set . He is a smart QB where he plays a pretty clean game .

bah007
12-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I actually like McCarron but at best he is Matt Moore/Colt McCoy in the NFL. Average skills with a good head on his shoulders. There is a place for those guys in the league, but it's not in the starting lineup on a playoff team.

Honoring Earl 34
12-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I actually like McCarron but at best he is Matt Moore/Colt McCoy in the NFL. Average skills with a good head on his shoulders. There is a place for those guys in the league, but it's not in the starting lineup on a playoff team.

Is he Greg McElroy ?

bah007
12-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Is he Greg McElroy ?

No, he's better than that. He's the most talented QB Saban has had at Alabama. But in a league with 32 teams his ceiling is probably being about the 25th best QB. Talented enough to be in the league, not talented enough to take you anywhere.

Honoring Earl 34
12-01-2013, 11:24 AM
No, he's better than that. He's the most talented QB Saban has had at Alabama. But in a league with 32 teams his ceiling is probably being about the 25th best QB. Talented enough to be in the league, not talented enough to take you anywhere.

I've seen where they compare him to Alex Smith .

bah007
12-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I've seen where they compare him to Alex Smith .

Alex Smith without the mobility maybe.

bOODRO87
12-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't see anything in McCarron. I'm not saying he's terrible, but he doesn't do anything great. He's surrounded by talent at Bama. Screams NFL back-up QB to me.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I don't see anything in McCarron. I'm not saying he's terrible, but he doesn't do anything great. He's surrounded by talent at Bama. Screams NFL back-up QB to me.

He really reminds me of Ken Dorsey. Not quite in their skill set, but that they were both above average QB's surrounded by the best talent in the country. I see him being a better NFL QB than Dorsey, but bah007 nailed it above. He's a guy who can be a solid starter in the league, but he won't be taking you anywhere. I see his ceiling as being like Schaub a few years ago before his decline.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I see his ceiling as being like Schaub a few years ago before his decline.

Schaub was no where close to 25th QB in the league pre-injury.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Schaub was no where close to 25th QB in the league pre-injury.

In 2009-2010 yes he absolutely was. Was easily a top 20 QB.

And this is coming from a guy who despises Schaub.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 02:30 PM
In 2009-2010 yes he absolutely was. Was easily a top 20 QB.

And this is coming from a guy who despises Schaub.

You took my point backwards. It was no where close as in he was much better than 25th and much better than 20th too. Up to his injury he was 8-12.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 02:35 PM
You took my point backwards. It was no where close as in he was much better than 25th and much better than 20th too. Up to his injury he was 8-12.

Ahh well yes that's where I see McCarron's ceiling IF you surround him with a ton of talent like Schaub had. Schaub was an above average starter that played within the offense and was surrounded by pro-bowlers. That's exactly what McCarron is doing at Alabama.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Ahh well yes that's where I see McCarron's ceiling IF you surround him with a ton of talent like Schaub had. Schaub was an above average starter that played within the offense and was surrounded by pro-bowlers. That's exactly what McCarron is doing at Alabama.

Still revisionist history.

2008 - AJ & OD
2009 - AJ
2010 - AJ, Foster & Leach
2011 - Foster & Myers

That ain't surrounded by pro-bowlers.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Still revisionist history.

2008 - AJ & OD
2009 - AJ
2010 - AJ, Foster & Leach
2011 - Foster & Myers

That ain't surrounded by pro-bowlers.

So Johnson was not a pro-bowl caliber player in 2011? Myers was not a pro-bowl caliber player until 2011?

Schaub was surrounded by talent across the board during that time. Johnson, Foster, Daniels, Myers, Brown, Winston, Brisiel, Smith, etc. Just because every guy didn't make the pro-bowl every single year doesn't dispute that fact.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 03:11 PM
So Johnson was not a pro-bowl caliber player in 2011? Myers was not a pro-bowl caliber player until 2011?

Schaub was surrounded by talent across the board during that time. Johnson, Foster, Daniels, Myers, Brown, Winston, Brisiel, Smith, etc. Just because every guy didn't make the pro-bowl every single year doesn't dispute that fact.

Your spin is ridiculous. The lengths to which you will go are demonstrated by your AJ question. AJ only played 4 uninjured games in 2011 so of course he was not a pro-bowl caliber player in the other 12 games.

Players like Winston, Myers, Brisiel and Smith exist on every team. That is not surrounding a QB with talent to some inordinate degree. Plus you are acting like all those people were playing at once which isn't the case nor were they playing at their peak for the whole time they were playing. It is almost laughable the transformation in story. Winston, Myers and Smith were all heavily criticized and now they are being made into the '90s Cowboys line. Foster wasn't there for two of those years. Brown was described as a reach/bust in his early years. Throughout this time the Texans had "no #2 WR." Schaub led the league in passing with zero running game. No he was not surrounded by talent his entire time pre-injury.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Your spin is ridiculous. The lengths to which you will go are demonstrated by your AJ question. AJ only played 4 uninjured games in 2011 so of course he was not a pro-bowl caliber player in the other 12 games.

Players like Winston, Myers, Brisiel and Smith exist on every team. That is not surrounding a QB with talent to some inordinate degree. Plus you are acting like all those people were playing at once which isn't the case nor were they playing at their peak for the whole time they were playing. It is almost laughable the transformation in story. Winston, Myers and Smith were all heavily criticized and now they are being made into the '90s Cowboys line. Foster wasn't there for two of those years. Brown was described as a reach/bust in his early years. Throughout this time the Texans had "no #2 WR." Schaub led the league in passing with zero running game. No he was not surrounded by talent his entire time pre-injury.

Texans were near the top of the league in sacks allowed per attempt in 2008 and 2009, had the #7 rushing offense in 2010, and the #2 in 2011. The line was there whether they were actual pro-bowlers or not. That was my point.

And yes, Johnson was injured in 2011. But you listed the team's pro-bowlers as if to point out a lack of talent on the squad. That was not the case. Johnson in his prime from 2008-2010, Foster's career year in 2010 and great years in 11-12, one of the top O-Lines in the league from 2009-2011, the OD/Dreessen combo from 2009-2011, etc. The only thing that offense did not have was a legitimate #2 WR.

Sure, he didn't have the best talent in the league at each position, but there was no lack of talent. The only lack of talent was on the defense, which is why Wade was hired and why we focused mainly on defense in those drafts.

infantrycak
12-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Sure, he didn't have the best talent in the league at each position, but there was no lack of talent. The only lack of talent was on the defense, which is why Wade was hired and why we focused mainly on defense in those drafts.

I didn't claim there was a lack of talent. You claimed there was a surfeit.

WolverineFan
12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I didn't claim there was a lack of talent. You claimed there was a surfeit.

I guess that was my mistake then.

Rey
12-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I would not take mccaron. Would rather roll with keenum. Too many holes in this team to mess around with a 3rd or 4th rd QB.

Either grab a top flight guy or grab a guy with huge upside.

Playoffs
12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
What I want to see from McCarron -- or any QB we select -- is more passion/competitiveness. I'd like to see him impose his will on an outcome... and to demonstrate a personality where losing is unacceptable. I don't want another lukewarm Matt Schaub.

I guarantee you Tom Brady throws temper tantrums when he's losing/loses. Like Big Papi...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/794564046.gif

Playoffs
01-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Not good if true...

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Was told #Alabama QB AJ McCarron will not accept his Senior Bowl invite. Standing on play last 4 yrs w Tide.

TexansFTW
01-01-2014, 05:40 PM
lol, what a loser.

mussop
01-02-2014, 12:23 AM
lol, what a loser.

Yeh but his girlfriend is hot! :swatter:

badboy
01-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Not good if true...

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
I'd rather he go but not too concerned as it could harm him more than help. These guys are playing with others they do not know. Let me clarify I am talking about QBs and WRs. He does need to go to combine though.

WolverineFan
01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Disappointed that he's not going. This was a chance to see him on an even playing field. He could go out there and prove a lot if he upstaged the other QB's at the event. Geno Smith had some questions last year and skipping the Senior Bowl really hurt his stock.

Blake
01-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Was told #Alabama QB AJ McCarron will not accept his Senior Bowl invite. Standing on play last 4 yrs w Tide.

:confused:

BullNation4Life
01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Not good if true...

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

I kinda agree with McCarron. What the hell is there left to prove or show. 4 years, 3 National Championships, ton of stats and an ugly ass chest tat...

What is a Senior Bowl and a handful of snaps gonna show the last 4 years hasn't?

BullNation4Life
01-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Disappointed that he's not going. This was a chance to see him on an even playing field. He could go out there and prove a lot if he upstaged the other QB's at the event. Geno Smith had some questions last year and skipping the Senior Bowl really hurt his stock.

Geno Smith isn't a 3 time National Champion QB either. HE needed the Senior Bowl, can't say McCarron really does.

TexansFTW
01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
I kinda agree with McCarron. What the hell is there left to prove or show. 4 years, 3 National Championships, ton of stats and an ugly ass chest tat...

What is a Senior Bowl and a handful of snaps gonna show the last 4 years hasn't?

That he can adapt.

Not difficult to look good against Bull Nation 4 Life Junior College with blue chip players at every position and Nick Saban as your coach. Let's see how you do on a different playing field.

If I was him, I wouldn't do it either, because I assume he will look terrible compared to the rest of the QBs.

Playoffs
01-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
A.J. McCarron's mom says her son hasn't made a decision on Senior Bowl. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/01/report_says_aj_mccarron_wont_p.html …

BullNation4Life
01-02-2014, 02:56 PM
That he can adapt.

Not difficult to look good against Bull Nation 4 Life Junior College with blue chip players at every position and Nick Saban as your coach. Let's see how you do on a different playing field.

If I was him, I wouldn't do it either, because I assume he will look terrible compared to the rest of the QBs.

stupidest thing you have ever said, and you have said allot. Adapt to what? So it's the kids fault his coach is Nick Saban and its the kids fault he has NFL caliber players on his team?

If anything, McCarron should blend in nicely with the NFL, being he has practically played with NFL players for 4 years...

TexansFTW
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
stupidest thing you have ever said, and you have said allot. Adapt to what? So it's the kids fault his coach is Nick Saban and its the kids fault he has NFL caliber players on his team?

If anything, McCarron should blend in nicely with the NFL, being he has practically played with NFL players for 4 years...

Not his fault, it's his blessing. If you're confident in your skills you showcase them, if you're scared and feel you might hurt yourself, you hide them.

Playing with NFL players is definitely awesome and not his fault at all, playing only a handful of teams that had them playing against him is a little different. I think the Senior Bowl would be great to see how he plays with AND against NFL type talent.

Thanks though for the compliments.

Texian
01-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Not good if true...

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:

Not the first and won't be the last, he will have his workout at his pro day and that's all that really matters.

Uncle Rico
01-02-2014, 10:08 PM
No thanks. If he needs elite level blockers and skill guys just to be average I want no part of that.

Oklahoma has his head spinning so far.

BullNation4Life
01-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Not his fault, it's his blessing. If you're confident in your skills you showcase them, if you're scared and feel you might hurt yourself, you hide them.

Playing with NFL players is definitely awesome and not his fault at all, playing only a handful of teams that had them playing against him is a little different. I think the Senior Bowl would be great to see how he plays with AND against NFL type talent.

Thanks though for the compliments.

I take back anything I just said about McCarron, that dude needs more than just the Senior Bowl...

TexansFTW
01-03-2014, 09:12 AM
I take back anything I just said about McCarron, that dude needs more than just the Senior Bowl...

Yeah, he got exposed tonight when he actually had to throw more than 25 times.

I've said it for a while, he's the Trent Dilfer of College Football. That translates to 7-8 year backup in the NFL.

steelbtexan
01-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Yeah, he got exposed tonight when he actually had to throw more than 25 times.

I've said it for a while, he's the Trent Dilfer of College Football. That translates to 7-8 year backup in the NFL.

You may be right,

I will take his 1 SB ring though.

Blake
01-03-2014, 09:34 AM
You may be right,

Then I guess we can sign McCarron as our backup after he has 7 years in the league.

TexansFTW
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
You may be right,

Trent Dilfer was WAY better of a QB/passer in college than he was the pros. We went 30/5 his Senior season.

I'm saying AJ is like Dilfer OF COLLEGE. Meaning he will be damn near worthless in the NFL.

Honoring Earl 34
01-03-2014, 11:16 AM
The chickens have come to roost .

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/01/johnny-manziel-comforts-katherine-webb-after-bama-loss-photo/

Playoffs
01-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Mentioned to a scout here at Shrine practice that McCarron was officially out of the Senior Bowl. He scowled and shook his head. #NotGood

bhsman
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
As an LSU fan, the thought of McCarron going from trumped-up Heisman runner-up to UDFA brings a warm, loving feeling to the cockles of my heart.

WolverineFan
01-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

Mentioned to a scout here at Shrine practice that McCarron was officially out of the Senior Bowl. He scowled and shook his head. #NotGood

To me, it feels like he's just trying to maintain his stock and not hurt it. Going to the Senior Bowl and looking bad without elite Bama talent around him would confirm everything his naysayers have against him. Instead of proving them wrong, he sits out. This, and his performance against Oklahoma, will hurt his stock regardless. No reason for him to skip the Senior Bowl IMO.

disaacks3
01-14-2014, 04:51 PM
To me, it feels like he's just trying to maintain his stock and not hurt it. Going to the Senior Bowl and looking bad without elite Bama talent around him would confirm everything his naysayers have against him. Instead of proving them wrong, he sits out. This, and his performance against Oklahoma, will hurt his stock regardless. No reason for him to skip the Senior Bowl IMO. Unless he absolutely lights it up at the combine and / or Bama Pro day, I think his stock is in free fall.

The1ApplePie
01-14-2014, 08:53 PM
So are people starting to figure out that McCarron is an over-hyped, under-talented Matt Barkley?

TexansFTW
01-15-2014, 03:28 PM
So are people starting to figure out that McCarron is an over-hyped, under-talented Matt Barkley?

FWIW, I think about 80% of this board (including myself *humble brag*) all thought that about him. There were only about 20% defenders (you can find them in this thread and elsewhere).

I think the main place I've heard McCarron's name is on ESPN and local sports radio, which I'm starting to understand are all idiots the more I hang out around this message board.

He will be better than Matt Barkley though.

thunderkyss
01-16-2014, 12:50 PM
I've watched his youtube videos, the highlights as well as his cutups against certain teams. I like the guy. I mean really like the guy. He's not my favorite QB in this draft, but I see no reason he can't be a franchise QB.

He's got the size, good enough arm, smart with the ball, & plays well. I understand he's had a lot of help, he's not as flashy as some of the other guys, definitely not as athletic.

But I hope he falls in the draft, I hope he has a chip on his shoulder, & if we draft Bridgewater or Manziel, I hope we get him in the 3rd/4th..... Kirk Cousins like insurance.

drs23
01-16-2014, 01:45 PM
...But I hope he falls in the draft, I hope he has a chip on his shoulder, & if we draft Bridgewater or Manziel, I hope we get him in the 3rd/4th..... Kirk Cousins like insurance.

I don't see it happening TK. We have more holes to fill than picks to fill them with. I think I can safely predict you won't see a Shanny move for McCarron. Just ain't gonna happen.

ArlingtonTexan
01-29-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000319965/article/alabama-qb-aj-mccarron-thinks-his-athleticism-will-surprise

claims he is more athletic than many of us think

kiwitexansfan
01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000319965/article/alabama-qb-aj-mccarron-thinks-his-athleticism-will-surprise

Should I care about how athletic my QB is?

If I should, I'm doing it wrong.

ArlingtonTexan
01-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Should I care about how athletic my QB is?

If I should, I'm doing it wrong.

yep. unless he is Luck, Collin K., RGIII or someone who can a difference make with athleticism, then running a 4.75 40 when we think he is going to run 4.85 probably is not significant.

kiwitexansfan
01-30-2014, 02:20 AM
yep. unless he is Luck, Collin K., RGIII or someone who can a difference make with athleticism, then running a 4.75 40 when we think he is going to run 4.85 probably is not significant.

Maybe he is Kapaernick-esque and that rat Saban has been holding him back this whole time......

Marshall
01-30-2014, 05:35 AM
FWIW, I think about 80% of this board (including myself *humble brag*) all thought that about him. There were only about 20% defenders (you can find them in this thread and elsewhere).

I think the main place I've heard McCarron's name is on ESPN and local sports radio, which I'm starting to understand are all idiots the more I hang out around this message board.

He will be better than Matt Barkley though.

So do you expect more of a Leinhart type career where he's a backup and then slowly fades away?

thunderkyss
01-30-2014, 08:43 AM
So do you expect more of a Leinhart type career where he's a backup and then slowly fades away?

McCarron is my favorite QB in this class. I know most people are down on him. But he's the guy I would be targeting. It sucks that he had such a talented team in Alabama, but the team I plan to put him on is even better.

I think he's the most ready to start of all of them.

matts290
01-30-2014, 08:47 AM
McCarron is my favorite QB in this class. I know most people are down on him. But he's the guy I would be targeting. It sucks that he had such a talented team in Alabama, but the team I plan to put him on is even better.

And what team is that? I don't think there is any team in the NFL right now that is as comparatively dominant and has such a wide talent gap over the competition as Bama does in the NCAA.

b0ng
01-30-2014, 09:04 AM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/086/039/McCarron-Tats_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Yeah no

ArlingtonTexan
01-30-2014, 09:14 AM

So what unique qualities does AJ McCarron have?

Marshall
01-30-2014, 09:16 AM
He was carried by superior talent and didn't mess it up? much...

Blake
01-30-2014, 09:17 AM

That he doesnt have to spend pick # 1.1. on him.

Blake
01-30-2014, 09:22 AM
But as others have said, if it brings Ms. Webb to Houston I could be down with the pick.

http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/145704198.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D400%26crop%3D1

TexansFTW
01-30-2014, 09:33 AM

What a surprise, HE says he's more athletic. Kind of like Boyd saying he IS the 2nd best QB coming out.

It all depends on the situation he is thrown into. I like Zach Mett a little more than him, but I liken the two quite a bit.

If they go to a QB needy team with holes all over the place that need a QB to win their games for them like the Jags or Raiders they will get a couple years to start, then fail, then become career backup journeyman IMO.

If they go to a team like the Cardinals and sit for a year, maybe 2 behind Carson Palmer with Bruce Arians as head coach and a top 5 defense I believe these 2 can be very solid starting QBs and game managers.

And what team is that? I don't think there is any team in the NFL right now that is as comparatively dominant and has such a wide talent gap over the competition as Bama does in the NCAA.

The Seahawks, 49ers, or Cards. But then you'd need to play 16 games against the Raiders and Jags.

thunderkyss
01-30-2014, 10:01 AM

I don't know about unique, but I like his size, his footwork, his reads, his arm, his accuracy, his ball placement, his commitment to stand in the pocket & take a hit to deliver a pass. He plays in a "pro-offense" against tough competition, & has had success against that competition.

He's not exciting like the other guys, but he's solid. Appears to be pretty smart, makes good decisions. Mobile enough, strong enough arm.... & I think he should get more credit for managing that talented team than he's getting.

& he's been very consistent for 3 years. 37-3, two national championships, 72 TDs 13 Ints.

I'm not in love with him. I'm not going to draft him in the first round just to say he's a first rounder. I'd take him in the second even though I've seen mock drafts have him going in the 4th & later.... I just don't believe that. I think he's as talented & as poised to succeed as any of the 1st rounders.... I like Zach, I like Boyd, I like Mankins, but I like McCarron more.

If I pass on Mettenberger in the second thinking McCarron will be there in the third, I'm screwed if he's not. Boyd will probably still be there, I'd take him in the third, but he's not really what I want. I don't believe Mankins is ready to play, but I do want him.

Aj McCarron, Bortles, Mettenberger are the guys I want. I don't want to spend the 1st overall on Bortles, I don't think he's better than the other two. I'll spend a second on McCarron & be very happy. Even though most everyone has him going in the 3rd or later.

Everything they're saying about Bridgewater can apply to McCarron... Bridgewater may be slightly more accurate, but the competition McCarron played against & the successs he's had, even considering the talent he's had, puts him way over Bridgewater imo.

Playoffs
01-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Still hiding that arm...

Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show, Alabama QB AJ McCarron said he is unsure if he will throw at the NFL Combine.

McCarron briefly cited a lack of timing with receivers at the event. After skipping the Senior Bowl and telling reporters he would prove doubters and evaluators wrong, we are somewhat surprised McCarron would not firmly say he will participate in the throwing portion of drills. His evaluation does not place him in the first-round, and his pre-draft process has not changed that. Jan 30 - 10:22 AM

TexansFTW
01-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Still hiding that arm...

Jan 30 - 10:22 AM

That's weird. He said it himself that he's super athletic.

Everything they're saying about Bridgewater can apply to McCarron... Bridgewater may be slightly more accurate, but the competition McCarron played against & the successs he's had, even considering the talent he's had, puts him way over Bridgewater imo.

Except that TB had to throw the football to win the game for his team.

I'm kind of hijacking an AJ thread and I apologize. I'll temporarily leave.

thunderkyss
01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Except that TB had to throw the football to win the game for his team.

I'm kind of hijacking an AJ thread and I apologize. I'll temporarily leave.

I'm sure Alabama wouldn't have won as many games if not for the 72 TDs McCarron threw.

WolverineFan
01-30-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm sure Alabama wouldn't have won as many games if not for the 72 TDs McCarron threw.

They got to the Sugar Bowl with John Parker Wilson and won a national title with Greg McElroy. And the surrounding talent has only gotten better since then. I don't think it matters what McCarron did as long as he could hand the ball off and not turn it over.

infantrycak
01-30-2014, 01:01 PM
They got to the Sugar Bowl with John Parker Wilson and won a national title with Greg McElroy. And the surrounding talent has only gotten better since then. I don't think it matters what McCarron did as long as he could hand the ball off and not turn it over.

Or put another way - lots of college QBs with little/no NFL potential might have pulled off the same thing.

kiwitexansfan
01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/086/039/McCarron-Tats_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Yeah no

Wow, horrible tattoo.

Somewhat irrelevant to QB evaluation, but that body looks super unathletic.

Playoffs
01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Wow, horrible tattoo.

Somewhat irrelevant to QB evaluation, but that body looks super unathletic.Same here... :kitten:

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/01/25/012512-NFL-Tom-Brady-Scouting-Pic-Inside_20120125123021757_0_0.JPG

kiwitexansfan
01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Same here... :kitten:

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/01/25/012512-NFL-Tom-Brady-Scouting-Pic-Inside_20120125123021757_0_0.JPG

Maybe we should remove the athlete part from the description student-athlete of College QBs.

I'll tell you what, seeing there body shape, there more acceptable weights (for some people) are not made up of quality weight.

_King_
01-30-2014, 03:34 PM
This is my favorite group of qb's that I can remember. I think a lot of these guys can be successful in the right situation.

badboy
01-30-2014, 03:41 PM
And what team is that? I don't think there is any team in the NFL right now that is as comparatively dominant and has such a wide talent gap over the competition as Bama does in the NCAA.Duane Brown, Quessenberry, Myers/Jones, Brooks and draft pick like Antonio Richardson or JuWuan James would be a great line. Support him with a healthy Foster and our WRs, yeah McCarron should do well.

The line does not have to be dominant just keep him on his feet. Same with a QB on our roster, does not have to be Manning, just smart and accurate. AJ is both.

ArlingtonTexan
01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
I don't know about unique, but I like his size, his footwork, his reads, his arm, his accuracy, his ball placement, his commitment to stand in the pocket & take a hit to deliver a pass. He plays in a "pro-offense" against tough competition, & has had success against that competition.

He's not exciting like the other guys, but he's solid. Appears to be pretty smart, makes good decisions. Mobile enough, strong enough arm.... & I think he should get more credit for managing that talented team than he's getting.

& he's been very consistent for 3 years. 37-3, two national championships, 72 TDs 13 Ints.

I'm not in love with him. I'm not going to draft him in the first round just to say he's a first rounder. I'd take him in the second even though I've seen mock drafts have him going in the 4th & later.... I just don't believe that. I think he's as talented & as poised to succeed as any of the 1st rounders.... I like Zach, I like Boyd, I like Mankins, but I like McCarron more.

If I pass on Mettenberger in the second thinking McCarron will be there in the third, I'm screwed if he's not. Boyd will probably still be there, I'd take him in the third, but he's not really what I want. I don't believe Mankins is ready to play, but I do want him.

Aj McCarron, Bortles, Mettenberger are the guys I want. I don't want to spend the 1st overall on Bortles, I don't think he's better than the other two. I'll spend a second on McCarron & be very happy. Even though most everyone has him going in the 3rd or later.

I saw the words "pretty good" "has enough" and the idea "I am not in love with him" to continue my thought that McCarron is non-special player that you find in any draft. He is more non-awful than anything. I can't see him ever being more that a mid-level guy who won't be able tomake key plays when things are not perfect.

badboy
01-30-2014, 05:45 PM

If you think all he did was hand off and not turn the ball over you did not watch him play.

WolverineFan
01-30-2014, 06:04 PM
If you think all he did was hand off and not turn the ball over you did not watch him play.

That wasn't my point. Thunderkyss said that he doubted Alabama would have won all of those games without McCarron. All I did was point out that they did it with "inferior" QB's before he ever got his chance. I never said that's all he did. I said that's all he had to do.

He gets a lot of credit for being a winner. When "inferior" QB's were doing the same thing before he got there then I begin to discount that hype.

bhsman
01-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Even if McCarron is better than we collective doubt he is, his decision to skip the Senior Bowl (even to prevent aggravating some minor injury - Clowney and Ebron still decided to show) and now potentially not even throw the ball? He needs to drop whomever is giving him advice like 3rd period French, and fast.

thunderkyss
01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
He gets a lot of credit for being a winner. When "inferior" QB's were doing the same thing before he got there then I begin to discount that hype.

Except he's not getting any credit. There is 0 hype surrounding him. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Corrosion
01-30-2014, 10:01 PM
I really wonder if McCarron is this years "Aaron Rogers" .... Not that he will be as good , but he falls in the draft , sits for a year or two then comes in and plays well.

He does nothing great .... but everything pretty well. The ceiling isn't all that high and that's probably why he's getting no run .... but the floor isn't all that low either.

He could have a career like Alex Smith who doesn't wow you with numbers .... He just doesn't make many mistakes and gets the ball into the hands of the playmakers on his team.

If you could get him at the top of the 4th round , I think he's an absolute steal.

bhsman
01-30-2014, 10:16 PM
I really wonder if McCarron is this years "Aaron Rogers" .... Not that he will be as good , but he falls in the draft , sits for a year or two then comes in and plays well.

He does nothing great .... but everything pretty well. The ceiling isn't all that high and that's probably why he's getting no run .... but the floor isn't all that low either.

He could have a career like Alex Smith who doesn't wow you with numbers .... He just doesn't make many mistakes and gets the ball into the hands of the playmakers on his team.

If you could get him at the top of the 4th round , I think he's an absolute steal.

McCarron has neither Rodgers's arm strength nor Smith's athleticism; it's not that he does nothing great and everything pretty well, it's that he does some things pretty well and is outright deficient at others.

Anyone who drafts him before the 5th round is wasting a pick, but that's JMO.

bah007
01-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Less athletic Andy Dalton, who was also a "winner" in college.

Corrosion
01-31-2014, 12:05 AM
McCarron has neither Rodgers's arm strength nor Smith's athleticism; it's not that he does nothing great and everything pretty well, it's that he does some things pretty well and is outright deficient at others.

Anyone who drafts him before the 5th round is wasting a pick, but that's JMO.

I did not in any way compare Rogers talents with those of McCarron .... Reading Comprehension Fail.

Dalton may be a fair comparison ... :thinking:

steelbtexan
01-31-2014, 12:20 AM

Yep and you can put TB in this category also.

Great college players with limitations that will hamper them in the NFL. Unless they overcome these deficiencies with hard work which both are capable of doing.

WolverineFan
01-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Except he's not getting any credit. There is 0 hype surrounding him. I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Winning the Maxwell over Winston and Manziel is undeserved credit/hype to me. He didn't have the stats or the impact of those guys. He won it as a career award because of how good his team has been the last 3 years.

thunderkyss
01-31-2014, 03:16 AM
Well I'm just going to have to disagree with all of you. I think the kid can play at a high level & don't see the limitations you mention. Sure he's not as athletic as Kaepernick, but that is not a requirement for success in the NFL.

He's got everything I'm looking for in a QB & I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1-1 if I thought I needed to. But since he is so underrated I'll target him later in the draft.

We'll just have to wait & see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TexansFTW
01-31-2014, 08:52 AM
If we passed on QB until 4.01 I would have no issue with giving him a shot.

He's a game manager. He doesn't do many dumb things which in today's NFL is almost as important as doing good things.

So many QBs today can give you that 1 wow play, then the next second leave you scratching your head.

I think AJ doesn't give you either, which on the right team can be very useful.

I can definitely see him "succeeding" in the NFL w/ a team like the Cardinals. Top 5 defense, athletic WRs that can make him better, and a decent to strong run game.

I can also 100% see him failing if he's forced into a situation where he has to go and win the game because his team is devoid of talent (Jags, Raiders).

bhsman
01-31-2014, 01:40 PM
I did not in any way compare Rogers talents with those of McCarron .... Reading Comprehension Fail.

My bad, though I would still say that the thing about McCarron is that he might have much growing to do on the bench. =/ The take a lot of scouts have is that he might have already peaked athletically in college, and a lack of arm strength and the fact that all he was asked to do at 'Bama was hand the ball off to Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, et al, and make 'safe' throws.

If McCarron turns in the next Tom Brady, all the more power to him, because he's shown almost none of it in college.

drs23
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
My bad, though I would still say that the thing about McCarron is that he might have much growing to do on the bench. =/ The take a lot of scouts have is that he might have already peaked athletically in college, and a lack of arm strength and the fact that all he was asked to do at 'Bama was hand the ball off to Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, et al, and make 'safe' throws.

If McCarron turns in the next Tom Brady, all the more power to him, because he's shown almost none of it in college.

Serious question, did Brady?

Playoffs
02-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Tom Brady As You Forgot Him (http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193473/index.htm)

Dishman
02-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Tom Brady As You Forgot Him (http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193473/index.htm)

Great read! I forgot all about Drew Henson, but recalled Griese.

thunderkyss
02-03-2014, 09:28 PM

Great article. My favorite line:

And still, Superman lurked over Batman's shoulder.

Pretty much sums it up.

thunderkyss
02-03-2014, 09:52 PM
So a knock on McCarron is that he didn't have to carry his team, or basically he's playing on a very talented team. I don't argue the point, I know Alabama is a talented team, has been for a while.

I don't "watch" college football. I read a lot of the draft stuff, the Heisman stuff, watch highlights. I'll catch a game here or there, usually watch 4 or 5 bowl games plus the championship game.

My question, for you who do watch NCAAF, & you draftniks (love you guys), how does McCarron compare to Alabama's other QBs, specifically McElroy & JPWilson?

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
So a knock on McCarron is that he didn't have to carry his team, or basically he's playing on a very talented team. I don't argue the point, I know Alabama is a talented team, has been for a while.

I don't "watch" college football. I read a lot of the draft stuff, the Heisman stuff, watch highlights. I'll catch a game here or there, usually watch 4 or 5 bowl games plus the championship game.

My question, for you who do watch NCAAF, & you draftniks (love you guys), how does McCarron compare to Alabama's other QBs, specifically McElroy & JPWilson?

Not much difference IMHO .

He's bigger than the other two but he's just another guy . McElroy was really smart and Wilson seemed to always be looking over his shoulder .

matts290
02-03-2014, 10:02 PM

I am not a huge fan of McCarron, but he is easily a better prospect than either McElroy or Wilson. All I ever remember about JP Wilson is the terrible choke job against Utah in their bowl game.

Wilson or McElroy never lasted long in the NFL, but I think McCarron can be a nice backup somewhere for many years.

Lucky
02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
He's got everything I'm looking for in a QB & I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1-1 if I thought I needed to.

Imagine the meltdown at the draft party if that happened?

drs23
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Great read. Enjoyed it, thanks!

bah007
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM

McCarron is the most physically talented QB Saban has had at Alabama.

TexansFTW
02-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Yeah, as much as I hate on him, he actually has a possibility of an NFL career unlike the other two.

He is definitely better, but the question is, is that good enough?

I say no unless he meets the team requirements I spoke about in post #129.

Marshall
02-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Even if McCarron is better than we collective doubt he is, his decision to skip the Senior Bowl (even to prevent aggravating some minor injury - Clowney and Ebron still decided to show) and now potentially not even throw the ball? He needs to drop whomever is giving him advice like 3rd period French, and fast.

I like him as a fourth round backup to Case.

Marshall
02-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Well I'm just going to have to disagree with all of you. I think the kid can play at a high level & don't see the limitations you mention. Sure he's not as athletic as Kaepernick, but that is not a requirement for success in the NFL.

He's got everything I'm looking for in a QB & I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 1-1 if I thought I needed to. But since he is so underrated I'll target him later in the draft.

We'll just have to wait & see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
1-1? Are you kidding or serious?

Blake
02-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Personally I dont think its a good idea to draft players based on other teams boards or rankings. If you have AJ rated as a first round prospect then you better take him at 1.1. Waiting around because you think others have him rated lower spells disaster if he is "your guy."

thunderkyss
02-04-2014, 08:41 AM
1-1? Are you kidding or serious?

Dead serious.

When I consider taking a QB with the #1 overall pick, he's got to meet certain criteria.

Size... check
Successful career..... check
Prolific... check
Major Program... check
Good arm.... check
Sound mechanics... check
Pro offense.... check
Competitive... check
Smart... check
Hot Super Model girlfriend/wife... check

He's as good a prospect as Lienart was & Lienart was considered the best QB of both the 2005 & 2006 draft. Without the benefit of hindsight, Lienart would probably be the best QB in this draft.

I know people will look at Lienart & say he was a bust, which is true, but I don't think that means McCarron will be a bust. As far as prospects go, it doesn't get much better than Lienart. Well, it does but then you're talking once in a lifetime type players. McCarron's not once in a lifetime, but he's worthy of the #1 overall.

Luckily I'm the only who thinks that way & we can most likely get him in the second.

bah007
02-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Dead serious.

When I consider taking a QB with the #1 overall pick, he's got to meet certain criteria.

Size... check
Successful career..... check
Prolific... check
Major Program... check
Good arm.... check
Sound mechanics... check
Pro offense.... check
Competitive... check
Smart... check
Hot Super Model girlfriend/wife... check

He's as good a prospect as Lienart was & Lienart was considered the best QB of both the 2005 & 2006 draft. Without the benefit of hindsight, Lienart would probably be the best QB in this draft.

I know people will look at Lienart & say he was a bust, which is true, but I don't think that means McCarron will be a bust. As far as prospects go, it doesn't get much better than Lienart. Well, it does but then you're talking once in a lifetime type players. McCarron's not once in a lifetime, but he's worthy of the #1 overall.

Luckily I'm the only who thinks that way & we can most likely get him in the second.

Leinart is the poster boy for prospects like McCarron. You're taking the #1 reason not to take McCarron and trying to spin it around as the reason you should take him. Plenty of scouts pointed out the potential risks with Leinart but he ended up being drafted high anyway, probably based off of a chart like the one above.

Just because Leinart was drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean that he deserved to be. He busted because he was clearly overrated as a prospect. He didn't have a NFL caliber arm, he played behind an awesome OL who protected him so cleanly that he never had to play under pressure. He had probably the best running game in the country supporting him. He had big WRs who just dominated smaller less talented defenders. He had a defense loaded with future NFL stars that kept him from having to carry his team.

Basically, if he was surrounded by premier talent he looked like a premier QB. But he couldn't elevate the talent around him. They actually elevated him.So when he got to the NFL and every team had similar talent, his flaws became magnified.

Playoffs
02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Stayed up until 4 AM watching AJ McCarron. Not sure if it was the sleep deprivation but I began to see some Kyle Orton in him. #NFLDraft

thunderkyss
02-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes

Stayed up until 4 AM watching AJ McCarron. Not sure if it was the sleep deprivation but I began to see some Kyle Orton in him. #NFLDraft

Does he elaborate on this any? I found this (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/kyle_orton.html)...
Pro Potential
Orton is one of those QBs that you just know can be successful in a particular system. In a short to intermediate passing game he could well be a comfortable NFL starter as long as he can adjust to the rigours of the big league.

Best fit
Somewhere in a conservative system with plenty of underneath passes (think the Patriots) where he has a couple of years to learn his trade at a higher level. He gets those two – solid NFL QB in a few years.

That's not what I saw when I watched McCarron. I understand the knock on him, that he played with "too much talent" & I'll agree that he's probably the most experienced QB in this draft with a clean pocket, I don't think anyone else had seen such a clean pocket with the frequency McCarron did.

But that kid brought a lot more to the table than he's getting credit for.

bhsman
02-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Not really, and that was the point - though Brady struggled with a lot more. I don't know if that same level of drive exists in McCarron, but that's getting into motivation talk and that's where lesser sportswriters make their living.

WolverineFan
02-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Not really, and that was the point - though Brady struggled with a lot more. I don't know if that same level of drive exists in McCarron, but that's getting into motivation talk and that's where lesser sportswriters make their living.

Brady didn't have the same drive in college that he took to the NFL. He was looked over in college with the whole Henson ordeal, but he still had a good career and earned the stigma of "captain comeback" during his senior year.

However, it was at the NFL combine when scouts literally made fun of him and he fell to the 6th round that he developed the biggest chip on his shoulder that any player has ever had. He started watching film 8 hours a day, every day, and was Bledsoe's shadow every second during practice. The guy lived for the chance where he could make fools of everyone who had doubted him. When he got his chance, he set out on a mission to prove them all wrong.

I don't see that same drive in McCarron, but that kind of drive is rare so that shouldn't be a knock on AJ at all.

Marshall
02-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Brady didn't have the same drive in college that he took to the NFL. He was looked over in college with the whole Henson ordeal, but he still had a good career and earned the stigma of "captain comeback" during his senior year.

However, it was at the NFL combine when scouts literally made fun of him and he fell to the 6th round that he developed the biggest chip on his shoulder that any player has ever had. He started watching film 8 hours a day, every day, and was Bledsoe's shadow every second during practice. The guy lived for the chance where he could make fools of everyone who had doubted him. When he got his chance, he set out on a mission to prove them all wrong.

I don't see that same drive in McCarron, but that kind of drive is rare so that shouldn't be a knock on AJ at all.

Am I the only one who sees this as unrealized upside (College Tom) which is not available in (College Teddy) who is already doing these things?

thunderkyss
02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Am I the only one who sees this as unrealized upside (College Tom) which is not available in (College Teddy) who is already doing these things?

One of the things that worries me about Bridgewater is that this may be as good as it gets. Drive & determination are great, man among boys... great... but I don't see the path for growth.

Manziel (& I'm not advocating we draft Manziel at 1-1) is playing at a high level & he's not even doing it right. He still has a lot to learn. Maybe he'll never get there, but his upside is way out there in comparison.

Bortles is playing at a similar level & you can see lots of room for improvement.

matts290
02-08-2014, 01:59 AM
One of the things that worries me about Bridgewater is that this may be as good as it gets. Drive & determination are great, man among boys... great... but I don't see the path for growth.

Manziel (& I'm not advocating we draft Manziel at 1-1) is playing at a high level & he's not even doing it right. He still has a lot to learn. Maybe he'll never get there, but his upside is way out there in comparison.

Bortles is playing at a similar level & you can see lots of room for improvement.

Come on man, I get that you don't like Bridgewater and all, but don't you think it is a little absurd to say he might be "too good at this point" and count that as a negative? Seems like you are just grasping at straws now...

Every single player in every single sport always has room for improvement.

Corrosion
02-08-2014, 02:11 AM
Come on man, I get that you don't like Bridgewater and all, but don't you think it is a little absurd to say he might be "too good at this point" and count that as a negative? Seems like you are just grasping at straws now...

Every single player in every single sport always has room for improvement.

You have to take what he said in context , this isn't about how good he is , but if he can be any better than he is .... and he has a solid point , I don't see a lot of room for improvement outside of cleaning up his mechanics and getting that little loop out of his throwing motion.

He does everything well. What can he do better to be a better player in the future ?? His best asset , his pocket presence .... cant be taught.

I really wish he had played in a power conference ....

matts290
02-08-2014, 02:21 AM
You have to take what he said in context , this isn't about how good he is , but if he can be any better than he is .... and he has a solid point , I don't see a lot of room for improvement outside of cleaning up his mechanics and getting that little loop out of his throwing motion.

He does everything well. What can he do better to be a better player in the future ?? His best asset , his pocket presence .... cant be taught.

I really wish he had played in a power conference ....

Context doesn't matter, if you are saying you don't like a guy because he can't do anything better then he already does at the age of 21 then you are just reaching for reasons to hate on a guy you obviously already don't like (which is Bridgewater in thunders case).

I say again, every player has room for improvement. The leap from college football to the NFL is so vast that you have to improve so much just to even make a roster.

Seriously, the discussion in this place has gotten so weird...we aren't even analyzing a players actual abilities anymore and instead just making up talking points that aren't even there...I swear by the end of this month we will be talking about which QB is the best looking and whether or not that will effect his confidence and spill over into games. Not pointing fingers, we all are doing it. I can't wait until at least the combine has passed so we have some more actual data to analyze .

Corrosion
02-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Context doesn't matter, if you are saying you don't like a guy because he can't do anything better then he already does at the age of 21 then you are just reaching for reasons to hate on a guy you obviously already don't like (which is Bridgewater in thunders case).

I say again, every player has room for improvement. The leap from college football to the NFL is so vast that you have to improve so much just to even make a roster.

Seriously, the discussion in this place has gotten so weird...we aren't even analyzing a players actual abilities anymore and instead just making up talking points that aren't even there...I swear by the end of this month we will be talking about which QB is the best looking and whether or not that will effect his confidence and spill over into games. Not pointing fingers, we all are doing it. I can't wait until at least the combine has passed so we have some more actual data to analyze .

Dude , much of this process and all of the $$$$$ is about "how good they can be in the future" .... Not "how good are they now".

Having room for improvement and having the ability to improving are two different things. If you have maxed out your ability .... you don't improve further.

If Bridgewater has reached his best , he's not a candidate for 1:1.

(I'm not saying he has , just trying to explain the concept which seems lost)

LikeMike
02-08-2014, 08:46 AM

I don`t know why you are worried about Bridgewater. For one thing, he has a killer drive and determination (as you pointed out), is a film nut and has huge football intelligence. Those are the kind of guys that try to get better every day and that know how to do it. Facing NFL defenses will make him better. The biggest knock on him was the competition he faced. But he is the kind of guy that will only get better, after facing better competition. Because after every game he will watch 100 hours of tape, find out exactly what he did wrong and figure out how to do it better the next time.

And he hasn`t filled out his body yet. He will get bigger and stronger. His biggest weakness so far was his deep throw accuracy (more arm strength and coaching can fix that). Other knocks on him has been minor technical issues (little hitch in the throwing motion, holding the ball to low, footwork not always perfect when facing pressure) - all of those things can be corrected with good coaching.

He won`t get taller and he won`t get bigger hands - he won`t ever be a natural runner like Manziel (though he is a pretty decent runner). But besides that all his weakness can be improved. And having a guy with a tremendous drive and football intelligence really helps in that regard. So I don`t know why you are worried about Bridgewater in that regard.

beerlover
02-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Not much to add after multiple brilliant posts on subject matter, being AJ McCarron. But one thing for sure, that is so difficult to measure, is a players innermost desire & motivation. The proverbial, chip on the shoulder. Best thing in the world for AJ would be for him to slip to the 6th round, then let the Brady comparisons roll.

thunderkyss
02-08-2014, 09:50 AM
If you look at what I said... "Manziel ain't doing it right & is highly successful" & I'll add against "the stiffest competition" just imagine how much better he could be if he were to do it "right" staying in the pocket, playing within the system until he absolutely have to adlib & make something up.

As far as his college production goes, I'll give him an 8. Yards, TDs, INTs, accuracy, yadda, yadda, yadda.... if he were playing in a pro system (no fault of his that he isn't) & was making calls at the line with the production he has, I'd give him a 10.

Bridgewater (who I do not hate & would be just as happy if the Texans selected him as if they selected Manziel..... especially at 1-1, which I wouldn't be to thrilled with either) gets the same 8. Except he gets it because he is making the reads & calls at the line, because he is playing in a pro style offense.

Manziel can get better when he learns the pro system, making calls at the line, bringing him to a 9. He might get worse, he might not be able to do it.... but if he does, he gets better, his score improves.

Bridgewater's not going to get better from that aspect, because he already knows how to play in a pro system. He stays at an 8.

Bridgewater should get better with time, the NFL should "slow down" for him, he'll learn to manipulate the defense, blah, blah, blah, his score will improve to a 9.

Manziel should get better with time, the NFL should "slow down" for him. May not, he may be a hopeless cause, but he might & if he does, he'll go to a 10.

Manziel has more paths to improve than Bridgewater, that's all I'm saying. Now you may not agree that they are both starting out at 8, & that's fine. But anyone considering Manziel at 1-1 (I'm not, & I'm not saying that anyone is, but we are having this conversation.... so...) thinks they are relatively close right now.

thunderkyss
02-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Not much to add after multiple brilliant posts on subject matter, being AJ McCarron. But one thing for sure, that is so difficult to measure, is a players innermost desire & motivation. The proverbial, chip on the shoulder. Best thing in the world for AJ would be for him to slip to the 6th round, then let the Brady comparisons roll.

If he goes to the Patriots, or Steelers in the 6th. Going to the Cardinals or Bills, or one of these other QB black holes... not so much.

thunderkyss
02-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Basically, if he was surrounded by premier talent he looked like a premier QB. But he couldn't elevate the talent around him. They actually elevated him.So when he got to the NFL and every team had similar talent, his flaws became magnified.

& just because McCarron didn't have to doesn't mean he couldn't.

Just because Manziel & Bridgewater could in college, when they were clearly the best player on the team (& Manziel was on a much more talented team), doesn't mean they can when the talent level is more "similar."

I contend that A.J. McCarron was a bigger part of Alabama's success than McElroy & JWP. Nowhere near the MVP type player that Manzeil & Bridgewater were for their team.

From what little bit I've learned of what O'Brien wants in a QB, no one comes as close as Aj McCarron.
The University of Alabama coaching staff might have only just begun introducing players to Michigan last week, but quarterback AJ McCarron (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20120828/NEWS/120829797) has seen plenty more of the Wolverines on his own.

The junior quarterback, along with many other UA players, logs hours watching film on his own time. McCarron has seen so much Michigan film, he probably looked around for popcorn.

“Summer, I broke everybody down. I kind of work with one of our GAs, Jeff Norrid. He helps me a bunch. He knows everything there is about defense,” McCarron said. “Through the summer, we broke each opponent down week-by-week, but probably in the past two, 21⁄2, we’ve watched a ton of film on (Michigan). Me and him are up here at least 31⁄2, four hours a day. We’ll come an hour or so before practice and then the rest after. So we’ve done a tremendous amount of breaking them down.”

The Wolverines’ third down defense is what UA coach Nick Saban called “pro-style.”

McCarron said that, more than anything, means complex attempts to confuse the quarterback.

“They like to do a bunch of crazy things, try to confuse you,” he said. “They’ll spread everybody out, walk them around. Show different one way, blitz another. Do a bunch of different things, but I feel like our coaching staff has done a really good job of breaking them down, what they like to do. I guess we’ll see what else they have in store for us come Saturday.”

LikeMike
02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I actually I agree with you, at least to some extent. Manziel has the higher ceiling because he has a special skill set. He could actually be a one in a generation kind of player.

But he has a much lower floor than Bridgewater. Manziel might very well go the Vince Young way or get injured early. The faster game with better competition will hurt his style of play, the question is how fast can he adjust to it and how much punishment can his body take.

Bridgewaters floor I´d say is Alex Smith - something like an ultimate game manager. Doesn`t take many chance, doesn`t do many mistakes, can buy time in the pocket and run when he has to, but won`t take many shot downfield. A QB that won`t get you miracle comebacks, but one the can finish the game in a positive way for you.

thunderkyss
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I actually I agree with you, at least to some extent. Manziel has the higher ceiling because he has a special skill set. He could actually be a one in a generation kind of player.

But he has a much lower floor than Bridgewater. Manziel might very well go the Vince Young way or get injured early. The faster game with better competition will hurt his style of play, the question is how fast can he adjust to it and how much punishment can his body take.

Bridgewaters floor I´d say is Alex Smith - something like an ultimate game manager. Doesn`t take many chance, doesn`t do many mistakes, can buy time in the pocket and run when he has to, but won`t take many shot downfield. A QB that won`t get you miracle comebacks, but one the can finish the game in a positive way for you.

You had me until you mentioned Vince Young in relation to Manziel.

Vince Young's biggest problem, was that he was a big baby. When they were winning, Vince was one of the more promising up & coming QBs. Yeah, he gets a lot of hate around here, but it is what it is. When they started losing, he didn't know how to deal with it & it snowballed from there.

I don't know how Manziel is going to react when things get tough. I don't know how Bridgewater is going to react when things get tough. Just like I didn't expect to see Keenum regress when things weren't going his way... things he had absolutely no control over.

Give either of these kids $15M & tell them it's up to them to save a franchise... it can have some damning effects on a person.

All that to say I agree with you, Manziel has the lower floor.... but it has nothing to do with any Vince Young syndrome.

bah007
02-08-2014, 11:11 AM
& just because McCarron didn't have to doesn't mean he couldn't.

Just because Manziel & Bridgewater could in college, when they were clearly the best player on the team (& Manziel was on a much more talented team), doesn't mean they can when the talent level is more "similar."

I contend that A.J. McCarron was a bigger part of Alabama's success than McElroy & JWP. Nowhere near the MVP type player that Manzeil & Bridgewater were for their team.

From what little bit I've learned of what O'Brien wants in a QB, no one comes as close as Aj McCarron.

I agree with all of the bolded. Despite what everyone is saying about O'Brien's QBs, I don't think anyone has enough info to be able to figure out exactly what he is looking for. It's all guesswork. But the fact that McCarron studied so much film to prepare for Michigan can certainly not be taken as a negative.

My point in the previous post was not to demean McCarron. Only to point out that using Leinart to prop him up does not help your argument. Leinart failed. Just because he was drafted high doesn't mean he was worthy of being drafted high.

His flaws/question marks were the same flaws/question marks that most people see in McCarron. That doesn't make it an absolute truth or anything that McCarron will end up the same. But pointing out that a similar prospect who busted was drafted high doesn't help.

thunderkyss
02-08-2014, 01:37 PM
My point in the previous post was not to demean McCarron. Only to point out that using Leinart to prop him up does not help your argument. Leinart failed. Just because he was drafted high doesn't mean he was worthy of being drafted high.

Cool. I think differently. I think Lienart failed, because he didn't have that drive that we think Bridgewater & Manziel have... that drive that Tom Brady developed. Like I said in my previous post, you give a kid $15M to sign his name & that can kill a lot of "drive."

He had his moments in 2006. Kubiak thought enough of him to bring him here. Then he went to the Raiders, then Buffalo... Surely he was getting those chances based on something.

Still... tomato, tomahto..... he failed, as some prospects will even if graded accurately. Those guys on TV only make it look easy.

TexansFTW
02-10-2014, 12:13 PM

You know what they say about guys with ugly girlfriends right? No confidence. We need to find picks of his GF.

But honestly, I agree with you. When people are saying he is too good now, it is pretty wack IMO.

Think of the NFL as a business and think of yourself as the boss of the business.

You've got 2 guys to choose for the job promotion... 1 guy goes into work every morning on time, and stays late every day, can be relied on 100%, goes above and beyond his job requirements and gets the job done. Comes in Saturdays, and takes short lunches if you ask, he puts in the work and wants you to see it.

The other is really smart, possibly smarter although we haven't really seen it consistently. He calls in sick all the time, comes in late, leaves early, you can't find him at his desk half the time, but dude is smart, and the dude is good at his job. Can't be denied. If he puts his mind to it and gives everything he has he can be amazing, but he doesn't. Maybe it's because he doesn't have to. He does just enough to make it through the day, but at the end of the day he still does a great job and gets the numbers you want.

Who do you promote to management AKA who do you draft?

Oh yeah, and a 21 year old is NEVER maxed out on how much they can improve. Were any of you at 21?

If he goes to the Patriots, or Steelers in the 6th. Going to the Cardinals or Bills, or one of these other QB black holes... not so much.

I believe that if AJ McCarron goes to the Cardinals he CAN BE successful. I think that would be a premium spot for him to land. Great WRs, Incredible Defense, Solid run game that seems to be improving.

Playoffs
02-11-2014, 01:48 PM
AJ McCarron Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Alabama QB (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1953234-aj-mccarron-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-alabama-qb)
Positives
Negatives
NFL Comparison: Matt Schaub, QB, Houston Texans

Collegiate Statistics
Personal Notes

Second-team All-SEC 2013
Maxwell Award 2013
Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award 2013
Second-team All-SEC 2012
Third-team All-American 2012
BCS National Championship MVP 2012
Redshirted 2009
Team captain as a senior
36-4 record as a starter
Graduated with a degree in health studies

Overall

Following a prolific college career in which he won two national titles and several personal accolades, AJ McCarron will be out to prove that he can be an effective starting quarterback in the NFL.

While his decision not to perform at the Senior Bowl disappointed fans and scouts alike, he will have a chance to show teams what he can do later in the process.

An efficient, intelligent and accurate passer, he would fit best in a West Coast offense. Though he appears to have the makings of a strong backup, he possesses starter potential in the right spot.

Draft Projection: Third round

Playoffs
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Alabama QB AJ McCarron is planning on doing everything at @NFL Scouting Combine. Had sat out @seniorbowl, scouts eager to see him throw

Measured 6'3 1/4", 220 lbs., 10" hand.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
AJ McCarron said if he could compare himself to one NFL QB in terms of body build and perception coming out of the draft it'd be Tom Brady.

"New England is the Alabama of the NFL." AJ McCarron on Saban and Belichick similarities
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar
Ask McCarron if he knows who Ken Dorsey is.

Playoffs
02-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Gabriel prefers Bieber...

Rob Rang ‏@RobRang
30 yr NFL vet. RT @greggabe I'll take McCarron over Bortles 100% of the time. I've have liked AJ since I started doing tape on him in Aug.
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
People criticize McCarron because the QB's at 'Bame before him failed in NFL. That's BS evaluation

I know McCarron had great players around him, but his receivers weren't close to being top players. Not close to what LSU had

knows what he can't do. Leader, seldom forces things. Makes plays etc etc

By tomorrow the "experts" will have McCarron back in the 1st

McCarron is doing a good job shutting up the critics today

Joel Klatt ‏@joelklatt
For QB's the amount of guys that are struggling with 7 step drop is staggering today. Bortles, McCarron, & Garoppolo doing well

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
These are pretty good post-corners from McCarron.

McCarron's vertical pass..... Even Bucky didn't like it

Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
2/3 of A.J. McCarron's passes in that drill were ugly

infantrycak
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
By tomorrow the "experts" will have McCarron back in the 1st

Back?

kiwitexansfan
02-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Evaluation is a funny thing. 1 expert says he has proven himself and will be in the first. Another says 2/3 of his throws were ugly. How does that make any sense?

beerlover
02-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Evaluation is a funny thing. 1 expert says he has proven himself and will be in the first. Another says 2/3 of his throws were ugly. How does that make any sense?

Maycock can really be off at times, growing tiresome on my nerves, he is not natural at player evaluation.

bah007
02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Mayock gets a lot of credit around these parts but he picks his favorites just like everyone else. He'll never say a bad word about the guys that he has a soft spot for but he will absolutely rip other guys apart.

beerlover
02-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Mayock gets a lot of credit around these parts but he picks his favorites just like everyone else. He'll never say a bad word about the guys that he has a soft spot for but he will absolutely rip other guys apart.

Clowney must be on his bad side then.... :clown:

WolverineFan
02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Maycock can really be off at times, growing tiresome on my nerves, he is not natural at player evaluation.

His evaluation skills are suffering from that NBC contract. Instead of evaluating college games all day he is preparing for and calling Notre Dame games.

Playoffs
02-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Evaluation is a funny thing. 1 expert says he has proven himself and will be in the first.30 year NFL scout.

Another says 2/3 of his throws were ugly. How does that make any sense?2 of 3 throws in the long pass drill were poor today.

My knock on McCarron has been arm strength and long ball. It looks to me his passes hold speed for ~15 yards or so. Maybe more than that, though, I have trouble recalling "plus" plays/"wow" moments. 2nd round for WCO/Shanny -- Kubiak would love him, imo.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar
A.J. McCarron has what I'd call a "box of excellence" that goes out to the numbers on either side, and about 30 yards upfield. Nothing more.

disaacks3
02-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Hmm, most of what I've heard about McCarron throwing today was simply glowing.

TexansSeminole
02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Hmm, most of what I've heard about McCarron throwing today was simply glowing.

I think he's helped himself from what I have seen and also heard. I don't know what it means for his overall draft grade though.

thunderkyss
02-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Aj McCarron's compares to: (http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/4343/)

Curtis Painter, Josh Booty, Brandon Weedon to name a few.

TexansFTW
02-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Mayock destroys about 99% of players, especially in the evaluation process.

The biggest difference on Thursday night Football and Monday night Football is Mayock hates and finds fault with every player that walks on the field and Gruden loves and finds great qualities with every player that walks on the field.

kiwitexansfan
02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Mayock destroys about 99% of players, especially in the evaluation process.

The biggest difference on Thursday night Football and Monday night Football is Mayock hates and finds fault with every player that walks on the field and Gruden loves and finds great qualities with every player that walks on the field.

Guess that is what makes Gruden a coach and Mayock a 'scout'.

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Aj McCarron's compares to: (http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/4343/)

Curtis Painter, Josh Booty, Brandon Weedon to name a few.

Not exactly a list you want to be apart of.

kiwitexansfan
02-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Not exactly a list you want to be apart of.

Here is a list of players Tom Brady is most comparable to.

Todd Husak82.2%
Sean Keenan79.1%
Bill Burke76.8%
Justin Fuente76.2%
Drew Olson75%
Hunter Cantwell74.6%
Josh Blankenship74.1%
Kyle Wright72.9%
John Stocco72.7%
Gino Guidugli

LINK (http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/3376/)

Measurables don't mean JACK.

infantrycak
02-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Or...the way that program has been designed IT means jack.

Mr teX
02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
I was high on McCarron pre-OU bowl game...That game showed me what i had suspicions about....I wanted to see if he could put the team on his back & will his team to victory...Instead i saw him crumble making horrible throws & looking uncomfortable most of the night. He looked like that more often than not when Bama got into tough games.

Maybe he & the team mailed it in after such a deflating loss to Auburn. Maybe he needs time to undo the game manager type of qb coaching Saban gives to all of his qbs. Either way, i kind of fell back on him after that game...did not like what i saw from him.

kiwitexansfan
02-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Or...the way that program has been designed IT means jack.

That site works off combine measurables.

I could test at the combine and it would tell you who I most closely resemble although I have no football skills or experience.

infantrycak
02-25-2014, 04:41 PM
That site works off combine measurables.

I could test at the combine and it would tell you who I most closely resemble although I have no football skills or experience.

Just because you use the same ingredients doesn't mean you cook the same dish. There's an algorithm in the program weighing the measurables.

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Here is a list of players Tom Brady is most comparable to.

Todd Husak82.2%
Sean Keenan79.1%
Bill Burke76.8%
Justin Fuente76.2%
Drew Olson75%
Hunter Cantwell74.6%
Josh Blankenship74.1%
Kyle Wright72.9%
John Stocco72.7%
Gino Guidugli

LINK (http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/3376/)

Being a quality NFL QB is largely an exception to the rule, and Tom Brady is literally this generation's biggest outlier. Basically unathletic, 6th round Qbs are a terrible bet to even hold down a 3rd string job even a few years.

There is reason people ALWAYS bring Brady, because he literally is the only dude who has done what he has. And no you (nor the NFL) has no special ability to find the next once in genration unatheltic, poorly built, 6th round QB who has out of this world intangibles.

Playoffs
02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Could A.J. McCarron be the Texans future quarterback? (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/QB-Watch-AJ-McCarron/e988f7ff-7220-4142-9fd0-3a151a371ca1)

Bieber! :thisbig:

Playoffs
02-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Negatives on McCarron from Combine week:

McShay was told by multiple teams: "separated himself from the other QBs"(instead of being part of the position group), so-so leadership qualities, repeatedly unimpressive on the grease boards (football talk).

WolverineFan
02-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Negatives on McCarron from Combine week:

McShay was told by multiple teams: "separated himself from the other QBs"(instead of being part of the position group), so-so leadership qualities, repeatedly unimpressive on the grease boards (football talk).

He's carrying a chip on his shoulder right now, but (IMO) it's not the "I'm going to prove these guys wrong" chip like Brady carried. It's more like a "I'm so much better than they say I am, this is bull****" kind of chip.

Mr teX
02-26-2014, 02:42 PM
He's carrying a chip on his shoulder right now, but (IMO) it's not the "I'm going to prove these guys wrong" chip like Brady carried. It's more like a "I'm so much better than they say I am, this is bull****" kind of chip.

completely agree. He's looking at his college resume at Bama & how much they won with him & the helm vs. every other prospects & is like "really?...this isn't a contest.."

bah007
02-26-2014, 02:45 PM
completely agree. He's looking at his college resume at Bama & how much they won with him & the helm vs. every other prospects & is like "really?...this isn't a contest.."

Ken Dorsey

thunderkyss
02-26-2014, 03:57 PM

I'm not going to harp on it, because I don't want anyone to get misconstrued & think McCarron is "my guy" I like him best of all the QBs coming out, but I'm going to support whoever the Texans pick & I'm not going to hate on everyone else because they aren't McCarron.

But I don't think he's looking at how much they won, I think he's looking at how much he contributed to those wins. Julio Jones was thought to be a phenomenal talent. Atlanta traded up to get him. No one said, "Look at all the talent they've got on that team." Trent Richardson was drafted in the first round, then traded for a first rounder. It didn't hurt his draft status that he was on such a talented team. If it weren't for his knees, Kouandjio would be a first round lock.

McCarron did more from the QB position than he's getting credit for. If I were him I'd have a chip on my shoulder as well.

htownfan32
02-26-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm not going to harp on it, because I don't want anyone to get misconstrued & think McCarron is "my guy" I like him best of all the QBs coming out, but I'm going to support whoever the Texans pick & I'm not going to hate on everyone else because they aren't McCarron.

But I don't think he's looking at how much they won, I think he's looking at how much he contributed to those wins. Julio Jones was thought to be a phenomenal talent. Atlanta traded up to get him. No one said, "Look at all the talent they've got on that team." Trent Richardson was drafted in the first round, then traded for a first rounder. It didn't hurt his draft status that he was on such a talented team. If it weren't for his knees, Kouandjio would be a first round lock.

McCarron did more from the QB position than he's getting credit for. If I were him I'd have a chip on my shoulder as well.

Put in most of the starting quarterbacks of the SEC in for McCarron and I bet you'd get comparable if not better results. Aaron Murray, Mettenberger, Manziel, and even Bo Wallace and James Franklin would all do as well if not better. My opinion, of course.

TexansFTW
02-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Nothing wrong with having a guy. There is something wrong with having a guy and denying you have a guy though.

Many of your posts have been quite biased towards AJ and that's cool bro. He's your guy, own it. If you TRULY believe he can do what the top 3 can do and you can get him a 2.01 then that is your opinion and I respect your right to have one.

What I am starting to see from people in this board is riding of the fence though. You can't play both sides when it comes to opinions and debates. I think AJ will fail in the NFL, I don't see a future for him. I don't think he can hold the towels for the top 3 guys. I don't think he will be drafted until day 3. No wavering, I've stood firm since the beginning and never came off my stance, because I believed what my eyes and brain told me. When I'm right you will know it, if I am wrong I will own it.

This is all obviously my opinion though.

thunderkyss
02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
What I am starting to see from people in this board is riding of the fence though. You can't play both sides when it comes to opinions and debates. I think AJ will fail in the NFL, I don't see a future for him. I don't think he can hold the towels for the top 3 guys. I don't think he will be drafted until day 3. No wavering, I've stood firm since the beginning and never came off my stance, because I believed what my eyes and brain told me. When I'm right you will know it, if I am wrong I will own it.

Well I'm not riding the fence. I have no idea which one of these QBs will have a long successful career in the NFL. I believe there are 6 who might & have the ability to start sooner, rather than later.

I think it has more to do with the team than the player. None of these guys will elevate Cleveland, or Jacksonville, or Buffalo to relevance. None of them are going to beat Drew Brees, or Tom Brady out of a job. So if McCarron goes to a QB blackhole & fail, or becomes the backup for Rodgers, Rivers, or Manning & never see the field, don't come rubbing it in my face.

But if OB is who we think he is & we fix this team, where it needs to be fixed, or just plug up the dam a bit... any of these guys can improve the position & get us back on the right track.

If it were me, I'd pass on QB in the 1st round & take McCarron in the second. But I have no delusions & understand he may not be drafted at all. & even if "they" were talking about McCarron as one of the top three, I would not be suggesting we take him with 1-1..... I'd pass on him & take the one I like most of the 3 remaining from my list in the second (which would probably be Murray). That's how much I don't have "my guy" with these QBs.

Playoffs
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Ken Dorsey

A "not very likable" Ken Dorsey.

steelbtexan
02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Ken Dorsey

Nope

While McCarron's arm strength is avg. (60 yds, can throw deep out but has to be on time like Schaub. Arm is stronger than Schaub's arm)

Schaub's arm strength this yr is comparable to Dorsey's.

bah007
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
A "not very likable" Ken Dorsey.

That's not good news as I never found Dorsey to be likable at all.

Nope

While McCarron's arm strength is avg. (60 yds, can throw deep out but has to be on time like Schaub. Arm is stronger than Schaub's arm)

Schaub's arm strength this yr is comparable to Dorsey's.

I guess my comment was pretty obscure but I wasn't trying to make a physical comparison.

The comments about McCarron's demeanor remind me of Dorsey, who had the same attitude when he came out in the draft.

Playoffs
02-28-2014, 02:57 PM
The 2014 Draft All-Overrated Team: Alabama QB AJ McCarron (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloommccarronoverrated)
Ahh AJ McCarron. Skipper of the Senior Bowl presumably because that’s what top picks do. Often ranked at or near the top of the second tier of draft quarterbacks as a viable “QB of the future” option in the second round. Known for having a hot girlfriend and being a “winner”. Looks like he’ll be a good, effective quarterback in the NFL. Wait, scratch that last one...

infantrycak
02-28-2014, 06:07 PM
The 2014 Draft All-Overrated Team: Alabama QB AJ McCarron (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloommccarronoverrated)

I do not see how people pick apart the top three and then look at McCarron and think he is even viable as more than a backup if they are applying the same level of scrutiny.

bah007
02-28-2014, 06:20 PM
I do not see how people pick apart the top three and then look at McCarron and think he is even viable as more than a backup if they are applying the same level of scrutiny.

This isn't so much a comment aimed at McCarron as it is at QBs in general, or rather, the way that people tend to look at QBs.

I understand the nature of the position but it's funny how the QB gets the "winner" tag even when they do little to carry the team to the win. A bad QB on a good team is a "winner", but a good QB on a bad team is often looked at like a lesser player because he didn't win.

Bortles is a "winner". He may regularly dig his team a hole but he drags them out on his back and wins the game. McCarron is not a "winner". I'm not saying he can't be, but it's hilarious to see him get all the credit for winning when all he did was turn around and hand the ball off for four quarters.

steelbtexan
02-28-2014, 06:46 PM
This isn't so much a comment aimed at McCarron as it is at QBs in general, or rather, the way that people tend to look at QBs.

I understand the nature of the position but it's funny how the QB gets the "winner" tag even when they do little to carry the team to the win. A bad QB on a good team is a "winner", but a good QB on a bad team is often looked at like a lesser player because he didn't win.

Bortles is a "winner". He may regularly dig his team a hole but he drags them out on his back and wins the game. McCarron is not a "winner". I'm not saying he can't be, but it's hilarious to see him get all the credit for wining when all he did was turn around and hand the ball off for four quarters.

Not huge on McCarron, but I think his traits are similar to TB's. Runs pro style offense, good student of the game, avg arm strength. McCarron is underrated if you compare him to the TB hype. But I wouldn't touch McCarron until 3-1. Same with Brett Smith/Murray both of whom I like more than McCarron.

I will admit McCarron has a lot of the same traits that Brady had coming out of college. Which is why Brady was a 6th rd pick. But NcCarron could become like Brady if he's willing to work in the film/weight room and perfect his mechanics like Brady did. The odds aren't with McCarron though.

WolverineFan
02-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Not huge on McCarron, but I think his traits are similar to TB's. Runs pro style offense, good student of the game, avg arm strength.

Agreed, all of this is true. However, he is nowhere near as poised under pressure and he isn't as accurate. I think the defining traits of Bridgewater are...

1) How advanced he is mentally
2) His poise
3) His accuracy

McCarron and Bridgewater do share a lot of traits, but there is a difference in how they are perceived because of the few traits that they do not share.

thunderkyss
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM

To be fair, there's only one of us.

McCarron's fairly accurate, makes good decisions, takes care of the football, has a fairly strong arm, athletic... not Michael Vick, but not Drew Bledsoe, He's got good size (a little thin for his height), he's played in a major conference, for a major program, produced, & lived up to expectations.

I mentioned in another thread that his numbers were similar to Bridgewater's & another poster straight up laughed at me. He didn't see a similarity between 3900 yards & 3000 yards.... even though I didn't say his passing yards were similar. Completion percentage, YPA, rating, QBR.... all similar, even though McCarron played in a tougher conference.

It's arguable that McCarron had better talent around him, considering Bridgewater had some pretty good WRs, TE, RB, & the #1 defense in Div I football, & he was playing against weaker defenses.

McCarron probably didn't have the control of the offense that we hear Bridgewater had, but I really don't know. He had enough. He made his checks at the line, didn't look to the sideline. He called his audibles... maybe he only had three plays.

The jump from NCAA to NFL is huge & McCarron will struggle like all rookies do. But his jump is not as large as the one Bridgewater will have to make. He was the QB for the #1 team in the BCS for the last three years & he met those expectations. Yes, his team is talented & a lot of the success he received was because of that, but he was a bigger part of that success than he's getting credit for. He's thrown for more yards, more TDs, & less INTs than Greg McElroy or JPW had to. The most recent Alabama team is not as talented as the Alabama teams of yore... still talented, still very talented, I'm not denying that.

If you put Aj McCarron behind an offensive line that out talents most DLs it will face, McCarron will survey the field & make good decisions with the football. If you put talented receivers out in the pattern for him, he will find them & get them the ball. If you put a RB with plus talent in the same backfield with McCarron, an OL with plus talent, better than good receiving options.... McCarron will do his part towards helping that team win a championship. If there was a sure thing in this draft, it would be Aj McCarron, because we've seen him do it.

So what can we do to build a winning team? How 'bout we get Greg Robinson & have the two best tackles in the NFL? With Brooks & Myers who can hold their own, then you've got Quessenberry that everybody loves... that sounds like a pretty good OL to me.

McCarron won't do crap for us if our defense returns to the "normal" 30th rank defense. I don't think Bridgewater will either. Manziel.... too early to tell. I'm willing to see how that works out, so if you'd rather we take Manziel in the first, I could live with it.

Still. I get what you're saying. I must be missing something. The professional scouts had Bridgewater going #1 overall when they thought he was 6'3" 196 lbs. They don't see the hitch in his throwing motion. They like his footwork (If you were honest about it, you know his drop back steps are in no way sync'd to his reads, so there's still a lot of work to do on his footwork at the next level). They believe he's shown the confidence of a guy who should be taken #1 overall. Manziel might seem cocky, McCarron might come across as whiney, but to me, they believe what they say when they say they're the best. I don't get that from Bridgewater. It's totally subjective, I know. If you feel like he has the confidence to lead an NFL franchise... that's fine, but I get the feeling that he really wants to say, "Well, if that's what you want."

& to be really honest, when I watch Bridgewater's games, I like his receivers a lot more than I like McCarron's receivers. Then with McCarron, I see more slants, gos, posts, & 9s... same with Murray, same with Mettenberger. Bridgewater it's mostly curls & crossing routes. Not all, but mostly. I don't think he's going through his reads. I think he's doing more like Schaub, he reads the defense & he has a good idea who's going to be open, he knows where he's going to throw the ball before the snap. Then if that option didn't unfold the way he expected, he moves well enough in the pocket to keep the play alive & find an open receiver. "Technically" the same thing, but functionally different. Not that it's wrong, but it doesn't grade the same as going through a progression.

This is not to say that I don't like Bridgewater, I do. Just not as much as I like McCarron. McCarron fits what has traditionally been referred to as a sure thing & Bridgewater doesn't. Unfortunately for him... hopefully fortunately for us, most people can't look past Alabama's success.

I like Mettenberger, his team is pretty talented too, but somehow he grades better than McCarron when two of his receivers will most likely be in the first 50 players selected.

There's definitely something out there that I'm not seeing. I freely admit that.

infantrycak
02-28-2014, 09:08 PM
To be fair, there's only one of us.

You are far from the only one mentioning AJ McCarron in the 2nd and 3rd round. You're the only one harping on him as just as good as the top 3 and giving a 1st round grade maybe. But my post was about him not you. I don't think he is worth even a 3rd. He has absolutely zero place in any plan for "possible starting Houston QB" in it IMO.

Playoffs
03-13-2014, 02:14 PM
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB
AJ McCarron believes he's the best QB in 2014 draft.

http://cdn.elezea.com/gif/forever-alone.gif (http://youtu.be/EzoazPPC7b8?t=1m16s)
Click gif for accompanying music http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/enginecapt/smiley20whistling.gif

badboy
03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
I was big fan of AJ until last two games when he just could not get it together. I'm leaning towards Garoppolo in 2nd now and think we can get with a trade down in that round picking him & getting another third.

ArlingtonTexan
03-14-2014, 04:20 PM
I was big fan of AJ until last two games when he just could not get it together. I'm leaning towards Garoppolo in 2nd now and think we can get with a trade down in that round picking him & getting another third.

not saying it is true just posting for info sake

Bill Polian told Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated the increased hype could hurt the Texans' chances of pulling off such a two-fer, while explaining why he feels Garoppolo may go even earlier:

[ESPN host] Suzy [Kolber] set the stage by asking me on air if Houston would be better off drafting Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1, then coming back with the first pick in the second round taking Garoppolo?' And I said, 'Well, if that's the case, he won't be there.' What I said is absolutely correct. If word gets out that that's what the [Texans'] strategy is, then other clubs that have interest in him and are below Houston in the second round would try to trade up for him. The guys that are legitimate second-round quarterbacks can get moved up, or overvalued simply because of the competitiveness and the desire to get a quarterback before someone else takes him.

ArlingtonTexan
03-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Nick Saban and TK on the same page...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24483024/nick-saban-thinks-teams-will-regret-passing-on-qb-aj-mccarron

"I think anybody that doesn't take AJ in one of those earlier rounds is going to make a huge mistake, because I think he's going to be a very, very good player," Saban told ESPN, via PFT. "First of all, he has all the athletic talent to make all the throws that he needs to make at the next level. ... Guys who can make quick decisions, process the information and throw the ball accurately are the guys that usually end up being pretty good NFL quarterbacks."

Playoffs
03-14-2014, 04:53 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24483024/nick-saban-thinks-teams-will-regret-passing-on-qb-aj-mccarron

This is the way college coaches should be talking up their ex-players. Kudos to Saban.

thunderkyss
03-14-2014, 05:21 PM

I don't know if anyone is going to be sorry they didn't take him in an early round, as long as they get him in a later round. He looks like the most ready player to me & I think he would have done great in this offense with Gary Kubiak. (I have no idea what OB is going to do, but from what I've read, the videos of his clinics that I've watched, & what I've seen Brady do, I think he would be a perfect fit).

Game manager... maybe, but if we've got an OL with Brown, Myers, Brooks, Robinson, WRs Andre & DeAndre, OD, & Arian Foster.... I'm good with a game manager. Especially if he's more athletic than Matt Schaub (which Aj is) & is more clutch than Matt Schaub (which remains to be seen).

If we can keep enough talent around him (or Garropolo, or Bridgewater, or Bortles, or Mettenberger, or just about any of the QBs in this draft), to allow him to be a game manager for three or four years (like Brady, like Roethlisberger, like Flacco, like Ryan, like Wilson) then maybe he'll turn into a franchise guy.

No doubt that each one of the "game managers" I mentioned made plays when their team needed them to make plays & were in fact quite a bit more than the Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer class of "game manager" I think Aj can be that guy (in Kubiak's offense for sure) because he did very similar things in big games already.

Yes he had some bad games..... but Peyton Manning just got pantsed for the second consecutive year in the play-offs. iotw, they all have bad games, being able to shake it off & rebound is more important to me at this time.

I don't care to push Aj down any of your throats. I believe with this class several of them can & will be successful depending more on the situation they go to, than the actual talent they may possess. I saw what Kubiak could do with a back-up lacking in "clutch" even as his physical capacities diminished. I only hope that OB can be as effective...

At the very least (the floor) I think Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Fales, Bortles, Manziel, Garropolo, Mettenberger, Shaw can be Kubiak's Matt Schaub. & if one of them had the potential to be a true franchise QB he would give them an excellent opportunity to reach that potential.

But... Kubiak's not here & I have no idea how well OB can develop a QB (McGloin hints of good things to come though), so we'll see.

/rant..... start McCarron bashing.

Marshall
03-14-2014, 07:45 PM

Speaking of Garoppolo, this is the draft if we use the NFL.com rankings:
1. Javedon Clowney DE
33. Derek Carr QB
65. Kyle Van Noy OLB
97. Jimmy Garoppolo QB
129. Chris Smith DE
161. Alfred Blue RB
193. Dezman Southward FS

I could live with that draft though I'd prefer Mitchell CB in the sixth

leebigeztx
03-14-2014, 11:10 PM
I don't know if anyone is going to be sorry they didn't take him in an early round, as long as they get him in a later round. He looks like the most ready player to me & I think he would have done great in this offense with Gary Kubiak. (I have no idea what OB is going to do, but from what I've read, the videos of his clinics that I've watched, & what I've seen Brady do, I think he would be a perfect fit).

Game manager... maybe, but if we've got an OL with Brown, Myers, Brooks, Robinson, WRs Andre & DeAndre, OD, & Arian Foster.... I'm good with a game manager. Especially if he's more athletic than Matt Schaub (which Aj is) & is more clutch than Matt Schaub (which remains to be seen).

If we can keep enough talent around him (or Garropolo, or Bridgewater, or Bortles, or Mettenberger, or just about any of the QBs in this draft), to allow him to be a game manager for three or four years (like Brady, like Roethlisberger, like Flacco, like Ryan, like Wilson) then maybe he'll turn into a franchise guy.

No doubt that each one of the "game managers" I mentioned made plays when their team needed them to make plays & were in fact quite a bit more than the Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer class of "game manager" I think Aj can be that guy (in Kubiak's offense for sure) because he did very similar things in big games already.

Yes he had some bad games..... but Peyton Manning just got pantsed for the second consecutive year in the play-offs. iotw, they all have bad games, being able to shake it off & rebound is more important to me at this time.

I don't care to push Aj down any of your throats. I believe with this class several of them can & will be successful depending more on the situation they go to, than the actual talent they may possess. I saw what Kubiak could do with a back-up lacking in "clutch" even as his physical capacities diminished. I only hope that OB can be as effective...

At the very least (the floor) I think Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Fales, Bortles, Manziel, Garropolo, Mettenberger, Shaw can be Kubiak's Matt Schaub. & if one of them had the potential to be a true franchise QB he would give them an excellent opportunity to reach that potential.

But... Kubiak's not here & I have no idea how well OB can develop a QB (McGloin hints of good things to come though), so we'll see.

/rant..... start McCarron bashing.

I won't bash,I just disagree. I don't know what kinda suits you buy,but I buy super 110 or higher. Why? Great quality,soft feel,and I don't worry about them busting out. Unless you can tell me when under pressure that aj won't come undone like a cheap suit,I can't get past that. I can't get past the continued errored reads he made vs ok in the bowl as well as tenn in 2012. Even with a all american line and high end skill players, under pressure he threw the ball up for grabs and could see defeders standing in front of his wrs. We know everything isn't gonna be clean regardless of who you have. He has pedigree in folding under pressure,jmo.

deucetx
03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Don't think I saw it anywhere so here is AJ McCarron's proday. I can see why some gave him strong reviews for the showing. It was a pretty good outing honestly. I definitely like the spin he puts on the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2k1LU1tyA

Brisco_County
03-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Don't think I saw it anywhere so here is AJ McCarron's proday. I can see why some gave him strong reviews for the showing. It was a pretty good outing honestly. I definitely like the spin he puts on the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2k1LU1tyA

From the YouTube comments:

"day 1 starters aren't that horrible in the pocket. day 1 starters have better arm strength than that. day 1 starters know how to read defenses. AJ is a day 3 pick"

This may be the first time in my life that I've quoted a commenter from YouTube.

Playoffs
03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
AJ McCarron will win Super Bowl, Kevin Norwood predicts (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336365/article/aj-mccarron-to-win-super-bowl-kevin-norwood-predicts)
"The team that picks up AJ is going to be really lucky," Norwood wrote. "To me, in all honesty, if not the first year or the second year or the third year or the fourth year -- whatever -- he's going to win that Super Bowl. That's how confident I am in him. He reminds me of an Eli or Peyton Manning. His mannerisms, the way he calls plays, changes to audibles and gets us in the right play and the right formation, it's professional."
"I think AJ's more ready than any other quarterback coming out," he said. "And I think I'm more ready than any other receiver coming out. We've won three national championships. We know what it takes to win. We know how hard you've got to work to win. We're leaders, on and off the field."

thunderkyss
03-24-2014, 05:36 PM
AJ McCarron will win Super Bowl, Kevin Norwood predicts (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336365/article/aj-mccarron-to-win-super-bowl-kevin-norwood-predicts)McCarron won two national championships as a starter -- he redshirted for Alabama's 2009 title team -- but benefitted from elite talent around him on both sides of the ball. That doesn't necessarily make him less of a pro prospect, as his critics have suggested, but his chance of winning a Super Bowl early in his NFL career will have as much to do with who drafts him as it does with his own play.

I think that's true of all the QBs in this draft. When I say there's no "Andrew Luck" in this draft, I mean there isn't a franchise changing QB in this draft. None of these guys are going to make Detroit a winner, or Cleveland, or Buffalo. Brady made New England Champions, Peyton put Indy on the map, & Phillip Rivers made San Diego a perennial play off team (for a while at least). Stafford needs help to get the Lions into the play offs. Bradford needs help to find a winning season.

It's just my opinion, & you may think I'm wrong, but I don't see any QB in this draft leading the Houston Texans to the next level & that includes Aj McCarron. I believe he & 4 others (the list is down to 5) can help us get back to the play offs & stay there for a good while. It doesn't matter to me which of the 5 we get.

Game manager plus... nothing more.

PapaL
03-24-2014, 05:48 PM
2:35 clearly shows Texans doing their due diligence.

Playoffs
03-28-2014, 09:01 PM
ThunderKyss, I hope you're sitting down...

I have some bad news for you. Brace yourself.

Katherine Webb ‏@_KatherineWebb (https://twitter.com/_KatherineWebb/status/449708940129865728)
WE'RE ENGAGEDDD!!! AJ McCarron pic.twitter.com/f1abwtv9Fo (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj2v5XYCQAADZPV.jpg)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj2v5XYCQAADZPV.jpg

Sorry, bro. I'll give you some personal time. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad052.gif

kiwitexansfan
03-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Putting a ring on it before he gets paid....

She's a gold digger....

:kitten:

thunderkyss
03-28-2014, 10:44 PM
ThunderKyss, I hope you're sitting down...

I have some bad news for you. Brace yourself.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj2v5XYCQAADZPV.jpg

Sorry, bro. I'll give you some personal time. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad052.gif

I'm going to need a minute.

Wolf6151
03-29-2014, 02:42 AM
We need to take him in the 3rd round just to get her to Houston.

Thunderkyss, I feel your pain, trust me I feel your pain.

Marshall
03-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Putting a ring on it before he gets paid....

She's a gold digger....

:kitten:

Aren't most of them?

Texn4life
03-29-2014, 04:38 AM
We need to take him in the 3rd round just to get her to Houston.

Thunderkyss, I feel your pain, trust me I feel your pain.

She's definitely beautiful, but I like my women with a little more in the back porch.

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
First of all, I'm sorry if you believe this:

This is a very good point. Foster gives us a very reliable back who has enough experience to help foster (d'oooooooooh!) a fledgling QB along. We'd need experience back there regardless to pick up the blitz. I wouldn't trust a rookie RB to shoulder that responsibility and protect Bortles...I mean Manziel...I mean Bridgewater...

:foottap:

uh... McCarron.

is "shoving" Aj McCarron down your throats. I just meant it as a little joke at myself. I thought it was funny.

I understand I am the only one who thinks Aj can be a productive starter in this league, & I'm fine with that. I honestly try not to start Aj McCarron discussions. I'm not in love with the kid. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if O'Brien laughed & stated, "At no time was Aj McCarron even considered at any time before, during, or after this draft until you asked that retarded ass question."

I've stated my opinion on the kid. I know what I would do if I were running our draft. & I know what you wouldn't. I'm fine with that. No hurt feelings here.

I know you'd rather talk about Manziel, Bridgewater, & Bortles... cool.

But I am going to bring this over from the "cut Foster" thread.

You're on that train? David Carr 2.0.

From what I've seen, he doesn't respond well to pressure.

That's all relative.... not to defend McCarron, but any QB. Peyton has issues dealing with pressure. So does Brady (remember when the Giants stomped his azz?)... it's just varying degrees of pressure.

Some QBs like Carr eventually, start out pretty good under pressure but after too long, they start hearing footsteps. That's when I think it's an issue, when he starts hearing & responding to ghosts.

Peyton also beats pressure. So does Brady. That's why they're so good. A lot of people like Bridgewater because he's good against pressure.

Nobody really knew what McCarron was like under pressure because his O-Line was so good that he rarely saw any. He did in the Oklahoma game though and he laid an egg.

And I think with McCarron, it doesn't take much for him to start responding to it poorly. He had it easy with that line of his but when he did get a little pressure, he quickly fell apart. He's not accustomed to having to make decisions quickly. Maybe he has an untapped ability for that and he just needs to work on it.

To prevent that thread from going even further into the Aj McCarron deal, I'm going to defend him here.

Keep in mind I'm also the guy who wants to draft Greg Robinson with the #1 overall, then Aj McCarron with the 2-1 pick. IMO, Aj is the surest thing at QB in this years draft if we can protect him & support him with a competent productive run game. We've seen the decisions he makes when he's protected. We've seen him go through his progressions when he's protected. We've seen him dissect defenses when he's protected. And while we may not be the most talented team in the NFL, I think adding Greg Robinson to our OL will make it pretty danged good. We're not the most talented team in the league, but Andre is still arguably the best & DeAndre looks pretty damn good too. I still think Arian's got a lot of good footballl in him & adding Robinson to our line will help him be that productive running back that we need to support a QB like Aj McCarron.

Struggles under pressure? Maybe. IMO, no he doesn't beat pressure as effortlessly as Manziel. Maybe he doesn't have the same "poise" as Bridgewater... but I see him & Murray moving safeties with their eyes & their pump fakes more than I see anyone thought to be a first round QB this year. I know I'm alone in this, but that's what I see. I also see McCarron & Murray taking more hits in the pocket as they deliver a catchable ball down field..... no, I don't want my QB to take hits in the pocket. But sooner or later, he's going to have to. At least all the great ones do. Rodgers, Peyton, Brady... I'm pretty sure none of them want to get hit either, but it happens.

Had a bad game against Oklahoma? Yeah, he had a bad game. I think he's had three games that I would consider "bad." Again, it happens. But only three bad games when you're the QB of the defending championship team three years in a row, in the toughest defensive division in all of college football.... that's not that bad. It's not like he struggled against the up & coming UH Cougar defense.

Greg McElroy and John Parker Wilson won Championships with that team..... no they didn't. Same uniforms, same offense, same coach... different teams. He threw for more yards than either of them, his completion percentage way above either of them, his ypa higher, TD/Int ratio, better... he was a much better QB than they were & a bigger part of Alabama wins than they were.

No doubt he played on a talented team (I plan on putting him on a talented team) but imo, he should be a top 10 prospect. He's got the size, the pedigree, the production, ran a pro style, plays under center, has good mechanics (his feet, the way he carries the ball, his delivery), he makes good decisions, he's a leader, he puts in the extra time, he keeps his nose clean, he didn't look to the sideline for calls & he did it all consistently. Some people question his arm, I think it's strong enough.

If we get him at the top of the 2nd round, I'll think it was a steal. If we get him later, even better.

revan
04-02-2014, 01:41 PM

is "shoving" Aj McCarron down your throats. I just meant it as a little joke at myself. I thought it was funny.

I understand I am the only one who thinks Aj can be a productive starter in this league, & I'm fine with that. I honestly try not to start Aj McCarron discussions. I'm not in love with the kid. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if O'Brien laughed & stated, "At no time was Aj McCarron even considered at any time before, during, or after this draft until you asked that retarded ass question."

I've stated my opinion on the kid. I know what I would do if I were running our draft. & I know what you wouldn't. I'm fine with that. No hurt feelings here.

To prevent that thread from going even further into the Aj McCarron deal, I'm going to defend him here.

Keep in mind I'm also the guy who wants to draft Greg Robinson with the #1 overall, then Aj McCarron with the 2-1 pick. IMO, Aj is the surest thing at QB in this years draft if we can protect him & support him with a competent productive run game. We've seen the decisions he makes when he's protected. We've seen him go through his progressions when he's protected. We've seen him dissect defenses when he's protected. And while we may not be the most talented team in the NFL, I think adding Greg Robinson to our OL will make it pretty danged good. We're not the most talented team in the league, but Andre is still arguably the best & DeAndre looks pretty damn good too. I still think Arian's got a lot of good footballl in him & adding Robinson to our line will help him be that productive running back that we need to support a QB like Aj McCarron.

Struggles under pressure? Maybe. IMO, no he doesn't beat pressure as effortlessly as Manziel. Maybe he doesn't have the same "poise" as Bridgewater... but I see him & Murray moving safeties with their eyes & their pump fakes more than I see anyone thought to be a first round QB this year. I know I'm alone in this, but that's what I see. I also see McCarron & Murray taking more hits in the pocket as they deliver a catchable ball down field..... no, I don't want my QB to take hits in the pocket. But sooner or later, he's going to have to. At least all the great ones do. Rodgers, Peyton, Brady... I'm pretty sure none of them want to get hit either, but it happens.

Had a bad game against Oklahoma? Yeah, he had a bad game. I think he's had three games that I would consider "bad." Again, it happens. But only three bad games when you're the QB of the defending championship team three years in a row, in the toughest defensive division in all of college football.... that's not that bad. It's not like he struggled against the up & coming UH Cougar defense.

Greg McElroy and John Parker Wilson won Championships with that team..... no they didn't. Same uniforms, same offense, same coach... different teams. He threw for more yards than either of them, his completion percentage way above either of them, his ypa higher, TD/Int ratio, better... he was a much better QB than they were & a bigger part of Alabama wins than they were.

No doubt he played on a talented team (I plan on putting him on a talented team) but imo, he should be a top 10 prospect. He's got the size, the pedigree, the production, ran a pro style, plays under center, has good mechanics (his feet, the way he carries the ball, his delivery), he makes good decisions, he's a leader, he puts in the extra time, he keeps his nose clean, he didn't look to the sideline for calls & he did it all consistently. Some people question his arm, I think it's strong enough.

If we get him at the top of the 2nd round, I'll think it was a steal. If we get him later, even better.

If we go with Clowney in the first, I would assume AJ would be the best pick at 33 for us given he has the same traits that BOB likes in the QBs he has played with. Shoot Im ok with Fitz starting all season and letting McCarron sit on the bench the year, throw in Keenum if Fitz has problems. McCarron can be our future QB.

santo
04-02-2014, 01:46 PM

I wouldn't mind McCarron either. Just don't understand why being on a talented team makes him a bad quarterback.

So if the Texans decided to trade down and get an OT or Mack, and then McCarron or Murray in the second, I wouldn't be upset. I don't think he'll make it pass the second round though, but that's just a hunch.

JB
04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
I thought it was funny.

So did I

:handshake:

The1ApplePie
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I could see McCarron being a solid backup in the NFL, but he still seems to be a less talented Matt Barkley to me. Ken Dorsey seems about right

Him dropping to the 3rd wouldn't be a shock, with the Big 3, Carr, and Garappalo (however you spell it) going ahead of him.

_King_
04-02-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm going to need a minute.

You sad it's not you he's engaged to?

thunderkyss
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
You sad it's not you he's engaged to?

Context... it's funnier when you read it in context.

kiwitexansfan
04-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I think McCarron can run a pro offense.

I think his arm talent is ok.

I wouldn't object if we took him in the 3rd or 4th and let him compete.

I'd probably be upset if we took him 2:1

CloakNNNdagger
04-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Good INTERVIEW (http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl-draft-profile-alabama-qb-aj-mccarron)..............seems like he has his head screwed on solidly and can critique himself accurately.

thunderkyss
04-07-2014, 02:56 PM
I'd probably be upset if we took him 2:1

For me, it really depends on what other QBs are left.

thunderkyss
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Good INTERVIEW (http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl-draft-profile-alabama-qb-aj-mccarron)..............seems like he has his head screwed on solidly and can critique himself accurately.

I think he's being underrated by a lot of people. Similar to the situation Russell Wilson is now. Yes, Russell Wilson is on a heck of a team, with a heck of a run game & a heck of a defense. But Wilson is still playing very well on that team. Same with McCarron. Because Greg McElroy & John Wilson Parker came from Alabama & won National Championships with Alabama, & won't make a pimple on a back up QBs arse.... people think the same of McCarron.

"An efficient game-managing quarterback who has shown he can carry an offense at times throughout his career, but more often is dependent on a terrific supporting cast. Grades out most highly for his intangibles and decision-making, knowing when and where to go with the ball, and could earn an NFL starting job." (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com)

"Good size and height. Balanced passer and gets into a rhythm quickly with proper mechanics. Sees the field well and makes smart, sharp decisions. Nice job stepping up and moves well within the pocket, showing good footwork to avoid the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Average athlete with enough foot speed to buy time and make plays outside the pocket. Nice job recognizing pressure, adjusting and surveying, not afraid to throw the ball away. Good timing and accuracy and throws a very catchable ball with nice touch. High football IQ and operates the offensive gameplan very efficiently. Doesn?t miss throws he should make and takes what the defense gives him. Confident leader with professional intangibles. Shows good fight and resolve on the field." (Dane Brugler, CBS Sports)

IMO he's the closest thing to a #1 overall QB in this draft & we'll most likely have a chance to get him at 2-1 (I know how that sounds).

Since there is so much talk about him being available in the third, maybe the 4th I'd gamble on him being there at 2-1 & I'll most likely take him there. But if there was even an inkling of someone taking him before that... if there's one news story that suggest someone else is thinking about taking him in the first, I'd take him at #1 overall.

But that's not going to happen, so we don't have to worry about that.

Playoffs
04-07-2014, 03:25 PM

AJ turned a few teams off and a lot of the media off at the Combine with an attitude,

He earned the nickname "Bieber" 1) because he repeatedly said the same thing Bieber apparently also says, "People hate me because I'm good" and 2) because he resembles the kid.

He may have a strong arm, but he did not play with a strong arm and had below average velocity. His accuracy was, at best, variable and he did not drive the ball downfield. He threw better at the Combine.

michaelm
04-07-2014, 04:06 PM

Man, the background music in that video is annoying.

ArlingtonTexan
04-09-2014, 02:33 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/a-j-mccarron-and-katherine-webb-get-a-reality-show/

Set your DVRs

agproducer
04-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Anyone who is bashing Manziel for being in the limelight and is supporting McCarron saying he stays out of public view -- can stop that talk. McCarron being on a reality tv show seems to be seeking the spotlight as well.

Playoffs
04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
AJ McCarron ‏@10AJMcCarron
I think it's funny how people think I am doing a tv show. I play football that's it! What my future wife does is her business

AJ's proposal will be aired on his future wife's reality TV show that he's not a part of. :chickendance:

kiwitexansfan
04-09-2014, 09:51 PM
AJ McCarron ‏@10AJMcCarron

AJ's proposal will be aired on his future wife's reality TV show that he's not a part of. :chickendance:

Everyone hates him because he is good.

Playoffs
04-13-2014, 11:20 AM
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/AJ-McCarron-Visits-Jacksonville/d4725724-4f49-45e6-a76a-16693c185720

McCarron interview during his team visit at Jaguars... gets a surprise visitor.

thunderkyss
04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/AJ-McCarron-Visits-Jacksonville/d4725724-4f49-45e6-a76a-16693c185720

McCarron interview during his team visit at Jaguars... gets a surprise visitor.

I thought Jj Watt was going to photobomb him...... turned out to be Clowney, maybe he is the right fit for the Texans

Playoffs
04-24-2014, 07:52 PM
McCarron reportedly called in sick to #Titans visit + team will not reschedule. http://on.nfl.com/1mJXATe

thunderkyss
04-24-2014, 09:08 PM

Cool....... didn't want to have to face him twice a year.

JB
04-24-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm thinking if we could pick up maybe Mack and Nix with first two picks I would be fine with McCarron at 3:1

With him sitting a year or two ( unless he proves to be ready before then )

thunderkyss
04-24-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm thinking if we could pick up maybe Mack and Nix with first two picks I would be fine with McCarron at 3:1

With him sitting a year or two ( unless he proves to be ready before then )

Which of his weaknesses is going to take a year or two to fix? How would you go about trying to fix it?

JB
04-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Which of his weaknesses is going to take a year or two to fix? How would you go about trying to fix it?

I think it's going to take him that long And for the game to slow down enough for him

I don't think he has bigger warts necessarily than the others, tho I did see more of him, but I don't think any is ready to step in Day 1