PDA

View Full Version : Texans Cuts are being leaked

Shaft75
08-31-2013, 12:44 AM
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/texans-cuts-tracker-five-moves-left

Texans cuts tracker: Five moves left

The Texans won't officially announce their cuts until Saturday but they started to leak on Friday.

Veteran Deji Karim, who appeared to be in the lead for the third-string running back job, has been waived, a league source confirmed. It appears Cierre Wood has won that job. KHOU's Bob Allen first reported Karim was waived.

Rookie sixth-round pick Alan Bonner, who has been dealing with a hamstring injury, has been placed on the Injured Reserve. The rookie's season is over before it started.

Sixth-round pick Chris Jones is also among the cuts, CSN Houston has confirmed. Jones, a rookie from Bowling Green, played well on Thursday night after missing two games with a calf strain. ESPN's Tania Ganguli first reported that Jones was cut.

Cornerback Roc Carmichael has been waived by the Texans, according to a league source. He lost his job when A.J. Bouye made the roster.

Dennis Johnson (according to NFL Network) and Jawanza Starling (according to Yahoo) have been waived.

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the following players have also been waived: Nate Menkin, Keith Browner, Delano Johnson, Jake Byrne, Tyler Clutts, Tyler Horn, Alex Kuppper, Cameron Collins, Ohrian Johnson, Mike Mohamed and EZ Nwachukwu.

That means there are five moves left to make.

"It's no fun," head coach Gary Kubiak said on Friday about making cuts.

Bouye and Willie Jefferson both tweeted that they made the 53-man roster on Friday. It's also been reported that undrafted rookies Wood and Justin Tuggle have made the team.

All NFL teams must reduce their rosters to 53 players by the deadline of 5 p.m. on Saturday.

Great to see they held onto Willie, Tuggle and Cierre. I guess they hated the fact that Deji ran that kick back on us. Put him through the whole camp and cut at the end for an undrafted FA.

I guess now it's on to the receivers...

hookinreds
08-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Cornerback Roc Carmichael has been waived by the Texans, according to a league source. He lost his job when A.J. Bouye made the roster. Best news all day!

Tailgate
08-31-2013, 01:00 AM
I am happy Wood is still here, he just looks the part.

Bouye is a project with upside, Carmichael doesnt have any.

Willie sure flashed, happy he is on the radar.

And I tell you what, Muir made me look him up a few times this pre season, he seemed on another level vs the other teams backups. Wonder if he is why Jones is gone?

If these guys turn out, our depth just got DEEP.

Shaft75
08-31-2013, 01:26 AM

And I tell you what, Muir made me look him up a few times this pre season, he seemed on another level vs the other teams backups. Wonder if he is why Jones is gone?

Muir had me at the first practice. That guy was playing in the offensive backfield when the ball was snapped. He may wear down over the season, but he sure looks fresh right now, and he'll be a rotational dl. Jones just really didn't impress me that much. He needs to put on some size.

TexanBacker93
08-31-2013, 01:30 AM

I'm figuring 2 more O-linemen, 2 more LBs, and a DB will still be cut.
Well, unless Kubiak keeps 2 QBs after all.

At LB I can't see Tuggle and Jefferson making it. Mercilus, Reed, Williams, and Montgomery are there for sure. That leaves Braman, Jefferson, and Tuggle. Unless they just keep 3 regular ILBs and plan on shifting Reed there if needed I would think 2 of those 3 would go.

Texn4life
08-31-2013, 01:33 AM
I focused on Muir a few snaps last night and didn't like what I saw. It was honestly down right terrible. He may have been a little winded, but he got blown off the ball a few times. Bad technique and terrible effort.

Shaft75
08-31-2013, 01:37 AM
I focused on Muir a few snaps last night and didn't like what I saw. It was honestly down right terrible. He may have been a little winded, but he got blown off the ball a few times. Bad technique and terrible effort.

Yeah, I saw that. He'll kill it in rotation though. Gotta keep that big guy fresh. He's a big boy at 29 years of age. That preseason grind is getting to him. Let's see how he does in the reg season

Vance87
08-31-2013, 01:56 AM
I was really impressed with Wood - he won me over, and I was hoping he would get the 3rd RB position.

Corrosion
08-31-2013, 02:02 AM

At LB I can't see Tuggle and Jefferson making it. Mercilus, Reed, Williams, and Montgomery are there for sure. That leaves Braman, Jefferson, and Tuggle. Unless they just keep 3 regular ILBs and plan on shifting Reed there if needed I would think 2 of those 3 would go.

Don't forget they can still IR players .... Brendan Williams (I think he went to IR) , Sam Montgomery & Trevardo Williams are prime candidates as they didn't show much in preseason due to injury. Hiding any of those non-contributors opens up a spot elsewhere.

They could also deal one of Yates or Keenum for draft considerations .... among others. Not that its imminent , just possible.

NastyNate
08-31-2013, 02:07 AM
I was really impressed with Wood - he won me over, and I was hoping he would get the 3rd RB position.

I get a very Larry Johnson type of vibe when I watch Cierre Wood run. Dude is so patient with excellent vision. Just peels behind blockers and finds his hole, very few negative plays.

qqert
08-31-2013, 02:09 AM
They could also deal one of Yates or Keenum for draft considerations .... among others.

id trade schaub instead and start keenum AND yates.
just like in preseason vs. cowboys.

Corrosion
08-31-2013, 02:11 AM
I get a very Larry Johnson type of vibe when I watch Cierre Wood run. Dude is so patient with excellent vision. Just peels behind blockers and finds his hole, very few negative plays.

His patience is exceptional .... but the way he gets north / south is just as exceptional.

& he doesn't scare the pants off of me swinging the ball all over the place in traffic!.

Mr.Scarface
08-31-2013, 02:14 AM
id trade schaub instead and start keenum AND yates.
just like in preseason vs. cowboys.

And that's why you are not an NFL coach. :vincepalm:

qqert
08-31-2013, 02:18 AM
And that's why you are not an NFL coach. :vincepalm:

lol, and you are?

settle down, boy. no need to put anons down.

NastyNate
08-31-2013, 02:20 AM
His patience is exceptional .... but the way he gets north / south is just as exceptional.

& he doesn't scare the pants off of me swinging the ball all over the place in traffic!.

Mr. Corrosion while I disagree with you on certain avenues, I think you're very much on point with your analysis here.

Texn4life
08-31-2013, 02:27 AM
Cierre Wood was never the type of back at Notre Dame that I thought would be able to play in this league based on what I saw from him there. He was JAG to me (Just another guy). He's shown me that he has some potential and flashes a little more speed than I thought he had. This is one of those cases where I'm glad I was wrong.

Corrosion
08-31-2013, 02:28 AM
Mr. Corrosion while I disagree with you on certain avenues, I think you're very much on point with your analysis here.

I might take a jab at you (& others occasionally) but it aint meant on a personal level .... If we cant have a conversation and disagree about sh!t , we may as well be talking to ourselves - and that gets us nowhere!

IDEXAN
08-31-2013, 08:40 AM
If 4 undrafted rookies make this team, well that's quite a surprise given that this is a roster of a returning playoff team which is obviously quite talented to say the least.

HJam72
08-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Cierre Wood will replace Tate when he is gone, which could be next season. Not only that, Wood might eventually be our starter, God forbid Foster gets worn down. I know Wood can't pass block a beach ball, but neither could Foster when we first got 'im.

I have to agree with other posters that I will not miss Carmichael one bit.

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Don't forget they can still IR players .... Brendan Williams (I think he went to IR) , Sam Montgomery & Trevardo Williams are prime candidates as they didn't show much in preseason due to injury. Hiding any of those non-contributors opens up a spot elsewhere.

They could also deal one of Yates or Keenum for draft considerations .... among others. Not that its imminent , just possible.

I can see keeping Montgomery but if Williams isn't a beast on special teams , I wouldn't worry if he got cut .

IDEXAN
08-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Cierre Wood will replace Tate when he is gone, which could be next season. Not only that, Wood might eventually be our starter, God forbid Foster gets worn down. I know Wood can't pass block a beach ball, but neither could Foster when we first got 'im.

I have to agree with other posters that I will not miss Carmichael one bit.
Well he certainly fits the mold of a successful Texans starting back as he's come in as an undrafted free agent rookie. But did you see him catch the ball out of the backfield on the one play the other night, hey that was a skill didn't know he had ?

HJam72
08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Well he certainly fits the mold of a successful Texans starting back as he's come in as an undrafted free agent rookie. But did you see him catch the ball out of the backfield on the one play the other night, hey that was a skill didn't know he had ?

Now that you mention it, that was pretty sweet. :)

Scooter
08-31-2013, 11:10 AM
so who are we targeting for the practice squad? chris jones is the standout to me, i think he's one that the coaches really want to groom but is definitely not NFL ready this season.

drs23
08-31-2013, 11:28 AM
The handwriting was on the wall when we signed Ed Reed. He not only lost his jersey but his job as well. Best of luck to him. I think he'll catch on somewhere. Might have been a different story if he could have stayed on the field but there's no question he was outplayed by Bouye by a significant margin.

This was a good move.

drs23
08-31-2013, 11:33 AM
so who are we targeting for the practice squad? chris jones is the standout to me, i think he's one that the coaches really want to groom but is definitely not NFL ready this season.

Myself as well. I thought he played a solid game vs. the patties. With a little more NFL experience I can see him holding a job somewhere.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 11:37 AM
The handwriting was on the wall when we signed Ed Reed. He not only lost his jersey but his job as well. Best of luck to him. I think he'll catch on somewhere. Might have been a different story if he could have stayed on the field but there's no question he was outplayed by Bouye by a significant margin.

This was a good move.

Who are you talking about??

Texn4life
08-31-2013, 11:38 AM

Pretty sure he's talking about Roc.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 11:42 AM

Why is Roc's job affected by the Ed Reed signing in any way?

Texn4life
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM

Ummmmm....... I don't know if I can answer that one for him. But I think he was saying they took his jersey number from him and then he went on to be outplayed???? No se senor on that one.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Ummmmm....... I don't know if I can answer that one for him. But I think he was saying they took his jersey number from him and then he went on to be outplayed???? No se senor on that one.

I thought maybe I was missing something.

steelbtexan
08-31-2013, 12:21 PM

If they make cuts based on merit rather than draft status, then Tuggle/Braman/Jefferson showed the most in preseason and have just as much promise for the future as Montgomery and Williams, if not more so.

Montgomery should go on IR and Williams should be waived and hopefully put on the PS.

Williams played against lower levels of competition in college and looked like an all star against 2nd/3rd teamers, but will never be a great pass rusher. He reminds me of Antwaan Peek.

Braham/Jefferson/Tuggle will also help upgrade ST's. IMHO

TexanBacker93
08-31-2013, 01:31 PM
If they make cuts based on merit rather than draft status, then Tuggle/Braman/Jefferson showed the most in preseason and have just as much promise for the future as Montgomery and Williams, if not more so.

Montgomery should go on IR and Williams should be waived and hopefully put on the PS.

Williams played against lower levels of competition in college and looked like an all star against 2nd/3rd teamers, but will never be a great pass rusher. He reminds me of Antwaan Peek.

Braham/Jefferson/Tuggle will also help upgrade ST's. IMHO

I should have been more clear. I think Tuggle, Braman, and Jefferson have outplayed and deserve the roster spots. I just don't know if they would cut bait on a 3rd and a 4th rounder from this season. I would rather see Montgomery on IR and Williams on PS with the UDFA group on the roster. I just don't know if it would happen.

Hervoyel
08-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I find myself hoping that we hang on to Andy Cruse (obviously most likely in a PS capacity for now) and not caring all that much whether we hang on to Keshawn Martin. I think what we've seen from Martin so far is starting to look like it might be all we ever get out of him.

steelbtexan
08-31-2013, 03:00 PM
I find myself hoping that we hang on to Andy Cruse (obviously most likely in a PS capacity for now) and not caring all that much whether we hang on to Keshawn Martin. I think what we've seen from Martin so far is starting to look like it might be all we ever get out of him.

If it weren't for ST's Martin would have very little value. 4/5th WR if that.

Looks like Rick/Gary whiffed on Martin. I'm biased against Big 10 WR's. They are talented but struggle with the physicality of the NFL.

I guess batting 50% on Big 10 Wr's in one draft is pretty good considering they usually bust.

I hope Posey stays healthy though.

Hottoddie
08-31-2013, 03:32 PM

I completely agree with you.

drs23
08-31-2013, 03:36 PM

See below...

Correct

I apologize for not being clearer. In my convoluted way of thinking Ed's another DB in the mix who we know for sure isn't going anywhere so that automatically takes up a DB roster spot. Granted he's a safety not a CB so that is probably somewhat of a stretch, my bad. I was just thinking first he lost his jersey, now he lost his job. So in answer to your question, true it was Bouye that displaced him, a CB, not a safety so I can see how it could be confusing.

Just the way my mind works sometimes. Again, sorry for the confusion. I won't ever do it again. (Yeah, right :D)

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2013, 03:56 PM

Between the two (and, of course, we've only seen a limited amount of Cruse), I'm also convinced we've seen all we're ever going to see from Martin......and we've only seen a teaser of what we can expect from Cruse with his glue hands and great routes.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 04:06 PM
See below...

Correct

I apologize for not being clearer. In my convoluted way of thinking Ed's another DB in the mix who we know for sure isn't going anywhere so that automatically takes up a DB roster spot. Granted he's a safety not a CB so that is probably somewhat of a stretch, my bad. I was just thinking first he lost his jersey, now he lost his job. So in answer to your question, true it was Bouye that displaced him, a CB, not a safety so I can see how it could be confusing.

Just the way my mind works sometimes. Again, sorry for the confusion. I won't ever do it again. (Yeah, right :D)

No worries, I thought maybe Roc was getting time at safety or something and I missed it.

burro
08-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Glad to hear about Cierre Wood, he definitely earned a spot.

Scooter
08-31-2013, 04:57 PM

right there with you on martin. my worry is that we're going to hang on to him too long anyway because he seems to be a great monday through saturday player. kubiak has a strong affinity for players who practice well and martin is one of those guys it appears. hopefully someone like cruse or lemon take another step next season and make martin an easy cut.

Playoffs
08-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
As expected Texans move safety Ed Reed from PUP to active roster. Gary Kubiak said Friday Reed's status for opener to be decided early next week.

Texans release DT Daniel Muir after reaching an injury settlement.

Texans release CB Elbert Mack, RB Deji Karim, CB Roc Carmichael.

Placed WR Alan Bonner, OT Brennan Williams & OLB Trevardo Williams on IR.

DX-TEX
08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
So where are we standing against the 53?

infantrycak
08-31-2013, 05:12 PM
right there with you on martin. ...

Well since we are keeping him this season AJ and Schaub need to sit him down, tell him they have delivered a juggs machine to his house, hand him several pairs of gloves and tell him to go catch balls until they are bloody. SOB gets open but he has got to catch the ball.

Playoffs
08-31-2013, 05:33 PM
So where are we standing against the 53?

Pick your final 53... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2200811#post2200811)

Brandon420tx
08-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Pick your final 53... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101297)

Think Playoffs means this Final 53 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2200811&postcount=201)

It's actually 55, but he has Wade Smith and Smith not counting against the roster

76Texan
08-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Dang, the Chargers cut Robert Meachem.
Anything wrong with him?
Should the Texans go get him ?

ArlingtonTexan
08-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Dang, the Chargers cut Robert Meachem.
Anything wrong with him?
Should the Texans go get him ?

He has been awful since signing with SD. They are injured/not good at wr and he has several million dollar cap figure and the Chargers still did noy want.

76Texan
08-31-2013, 06:17 PM
He has been awful since signing with SD. They are injured/not good at wr and he has several million dollar cap figure and the Chargers still did noy want.

I read about; and that was why I was wondering what is it that could be wrong with him? Is it fixable?

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2013, 06:29 PM
I read about; and that was why I was wondering what is it that could be wrong with him? Is it fixable?

He has the "Deandre Syndrome."

Texn4life
08-31-2013, 06:36 PM

He's a bad ass high ball mofo? :kitten:

76Texan
08-31-2013, 06:45 PM

That explains it.
Thanks, Doc.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2013, 06:57 PM
He's a bad ass high ball mofo? :kitten:

That explains it.
Thanks, Doc.

You might want to hear the WHOLE story.........

When you look at his injury history, you see the classic cascade of compensatory injuries. The 17th week of the 2011 season, he suffered a deep bone bruise of the knee (familiar?). Then in the playoffs, he tries to play through that injury and suffers a hamstring that he tries to play through with horrible performance. Then in May 2012 he undergoes arthroscopic knee surgery. He comes back too soon and his coach admits that his knee remains sore and is affecting his performance well into the beginning of October of the regular season. He then sustains a significant hammy and doesn't return until November, when he continues to be hampered and continuing his poor performance, not being able to take anymore than ~2 or 3 snaps per game for the rest of the season.

Agree with ArlingtonTexan. Not really someone we care to even look at.:kubepalm:

ArlingtonTexan
08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
You might want to hear the WHOLE story.........

When you look at his injury history, you see the classic cascade of compensatory injuries. The 17th week of the 2011 season, he suffered a deep bone bruise of the knee (familiar?). Then in the playoffs, he tries to play through that injury and suffers a hamstring that he tries to play through with horrible performance. Then in May 2012 he undergoes arthroscopic knee surgery. He comes back too soon and his coach admits that his knee remains sore and is affecting his performance well into the beginning of October of the regular season. He then sustains a significant hammy and doesn't return until November, when he continues to be hampered and continuing his poor performance, not being able to take anymore than ~2 or 3 snaps per game for the rest of the season.

Agree with ArlingtonTexan. Not really someone we care to even look at.:kubepalm:

Thanks for this. I knew was currently hurt insome way, but largely thought his suckitude was based on being shown the money than that much continous injury

ObsiWan
08-31-2013, 07:19 PM
From Ht.com...

08/31/2013 The Houston Texans have waived the following players previously placed on Reserve/Injured with an Injury Settlement: David Hunter, Mike Smith

08/31/2013 The Houston Texans have released the following player with an Injury Settlement: Daniel Muir

08/31/2013 The Houston Texans have placed the following players on the Reserve/Injured List: Alan Bonner, Brennan Williams, Trevardo Williams

08/31/2013 The Houston Texans have moved the following player from the Active/Physically Unable to Perform List to the Active Roster: Ed Reed

08/31/2013 The Houston Texans have released the following players: Keith Browner, Jake Byrne, Roc Carmichael, Tyler Clutts, Cameron Collins, Andy Cruse, Tyler Horn, Delano Johnson, Dennis Johnson, Orhian Johnson, Chris Jones, Deji Karim, Alex Kupper, Elbert Mack, Nate Menkin, Mike Mohamed, EZ Nwachukwu, Jawanza Starling

Who goes on the practice squad and who gets snagged by other teams??

Playoffs
08-31-2013, 07:21 PM

Fixable? Before the concussion he just got? Possibly.

Send him back to the Saints with Drew Brees as his QB. Brees "fixes" WRs.

Wolf6151
08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Is there a limit to the number of players on IR, if so how many can we stash there?

ArlingtonTexan
08-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Is there a limit to the number of players on IR, if so how many can we stash there?

No limit..

Seegara
08-31-2013, 09:19 PM
What didn't surprise me was D. Johnson losing out to C. Wood because of Johnson's buttery fingers.
What did surprise me was T. Clutts being waived. Who's going to play FB?

Vance87
08-31-2013, 09:20 PM
What didn't surprise me was D. Johnson losing out to C. Wood because of Johnson's buttery fingers.
What did surprise me was T. Clutts being waived. Who's going to play FB?

Greg Jones.

beerlover
08-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

three draft picks on IR must be a franchise record?

how about four undrafted free agents making the 53 man roster, would that also be a franchise record?

Going at least to the AFC Championship game that would be a franchise first as well, hopefully Superbowl :trophy:

Nice work by Texans organization to reload, retool & set new standards of excellence both on & off the field :logo: